On the Other Side

Rating- Probably NC17 later on, I haven’t decided

Summary- The Buffy we saw in The Girl in Question wasn’t the Buffy we know. She’s a visitor from another dimension. Spike must play hero once again to rescue his lady love and maybe even help her counterpart as well as his.

Disclaimer- I once thought I owned Buffy but I’ve had countless sessions with my doctor to help me realize Joss Whedon has copyrights


Spike awoke to the blinding light of morning. It took a moment for his eyes to focus as well as his mind. He sat up in a panic, his eyes wide, searching for some means of cover. There was none. Then it sunk in that he felt only the tingle of warmth and not burning. He lifted his hand to his face in wonder. He burst out into chuckles. It was a good thing he was all alone because he most likely looked like a nancy boy prancing around in the alley. His boot hit something hard and he stopped. He glanced down to discover a decapitated demon body.

That was when his surroundings fully registered. The pavement was littered with mutilated corpses, limbs separated. The sight and smell was enough to even make a vampire cringe. It was a good thing he was able to halt his breath.

Why was it that his heart and lungs remained dormant when he could walk around in the sun? It was a mystery that only the Powers could answer. A reward possibly? He grinned. Hah, Peaches, screw your magic glass, the Powers like me best. His lips fell after a moment. He began to walk, carefully watching his step.

“Angel!?” Spike hollered. “Blue!? Charlie!?”

He was met only by the rustle of the wind.

He hunted through the heap of battle remains. He found Gunn underneath two demons, a sword still grasped in his clutch. His eyes stared sightlessly. Spike knelt down and sighed. He closed his fallen companion’s eyes, wishing him a welcoming journey to the beyond.

Spike hoisted the dead man into his arms. He carried him to the funeral home and laid him upon its steps. He had nowhere else to take him, having no knowledge of Gunn having any relatives.

His next stop was The Hyperion Hotel. He reasoned that Angel was likely to seek shelter before sunrise. He found a dark and empty dwelling. He abandoned the search and returned home.

He closed the door behind him and felt the impact of war. He leaned against the doorjamb for a moment, weary. He sensed the presence then. At first he figured it was a beasty and prepared himself for a fight but then relaxed when he caught the aura of humanity.

“Who’s there? Show yourself.”

The door to the bathroom creaked open. A brown-haired teenager hesitatingly poked her head out.

“Bit?” Spike’s eyes enlarged.

Dawn stepped out. She stopped near the couch. “Spike?”

He nodded. “The one and only. What are you -?”

He was cut off by the slam of her body. His head hit the wall behind him and he made an ‘oof’. She released her hold a little and looked at him with concern.

“Are you okay? You look like crap,” she stated.

He snorted. “I feel like I’ve been hit by a train.”

“More like two.” She parted from him. “Can you walk?”

“If I have to,” he replied. He narrowed his eyes. “Does Buffy know you’re here?”

She frowned. “That’s why I’m here.”

A pang shot through his heart. “What’s happened?”

Dawn looked around in a paranoid manner. “Does Angel have this place bugged?”

“I doubt he’s interested in the sounds of Final Fantasy, luv. I think we’re clear.”

She nodded. “Andrew lied when you visited. We weren’t sure we could trust the head of an evil law firm. He has no business interfering with our life.”

“Is she in trouble? What has the Immortal done to her?” Spike demanded. He grabbed hold of Dawn’s shoulders. It was meant to be from emotion and not for support but ended up that way. She guided him over to the couch. He collapsed upon its cushions.

Dawn crossed her arms. He was reminded how Buffy-like she was becoming.

“Nothing, that’s not really the problem. I wish it was that simple.”

Spike sat up as straight as he could manage. What could be worse than the Immortal?

Dawn let her arms fall to her side. She seemed to soften. “Spike. . .” She spoke gently. “What you saw in Rome, it isn’t what you think at all.”

Spike dug his nails into the arm of the couch. “Right. Well it looked to me like Buffy’s shifted into the gray area. I mean, The Immortal? He’s most likely getting back at Angel and me once again. He’ll probably dump her after he’s had his fun.”

“I know. Spike-“

“He’s evil. There’s no proof but if you-“

“Spike!”

“And you think she’d have enough respect for herself. He likes to have harems, nibblet. Buffy was never into that thing. At least-“

“Spike!” She stomped her foot.

Spike shut up.

“Thank you. Geez. Okay, now like I said, what you thought you saw wasn’t real. Well it was, but . . .” She sighed. “Okay, how do I explain this? The Buffy you saw wasn’t Buffy.”

“Come again?”

“She ‘is’ a Buffy, but not ‘our’ Buffy,” Dawn went on.

“Shape shifter?” Spike asked.

“No. You know about parallel dimensions, right?”

Spike scooted to the edge of the couch. “You’re telling me there are two Buffies? And one is into orgasms?”

“Ewww, Spike, gross much! But, yeah, I guess.”

“So, our Buffy needs my help to send her counterpart back where she belongs? Why didn’t she come herself?”

Dawn was silent a moment. She looked down at her feet. “She would have if she could. The main problem isn’t sending the imposter back, it’s getting the Buffy-Buffy back home.”

Spike stood up too fast. Pain shot up through his spinal column. He gritted his teeth. “Where is she!?”

Dawn took in a deep breath. She met his alarmed eyes. “That’s the thing . . . we’re not entirely sure.”

________________________________________________________

I’m back into the Buffy fanfic world again! A break was needed because of RL issues, but I think things have calmed down. I’ll get the next chapter up soon (hint, feedback puts me into the typing mood). Thanks for reading.