a/n: Thank you Mercy for betaing. Please Review

~*~*~

The blast was heard throughout the whole city. The sonic boom threatened to topple structures as it passed, rocking the Wolfram and Hart Los Angeles Headquarters. Angel sat at his desk with a glass of pig’s blood beside him. He watched the red liquid splash around as the building shook. Spike walked into his office, with the usual attitude and swagger. “What the hell was that?”



“Earthquake?” Angel tried to ignore Spike’s presence. It usually wasn’t very hard to ignore the younger vampire. Through the years, Angel had gotten very good at ignoring everything he didn’t like.



“Right,” Spike looked out Angel’s windows, enjoying the view of the sunset. “Didn’t feel like an earthquake.”



“Felt like it to me.” Angel’s head was down, looking at miscellaneous papers on his desk. After the sunset, Spike would get bored and leave the office like he always did.



“Huh, look at that!” Spike exclaimed, not really expecting Angel to look at the horizon. Angel’s office faced west, giving the best view of the city.



“Don’t you have someone else to bother, Spike? I’ve seen the sunset before.”



“No, you pillock. That, over there.” Spike pointed off in the distance. Black smoke pillowed into the air, forming something that looked like a mushroom. “It was a blast, there. Look. Oh, here come the pigs and red hats.”



Angel got up from his desk and walked over to the windows, looking where Spike pointed. “It’s on the waterfront.” He watched as the people in the distance ran around the building that exploded.



“Yeah.” Spike looked away, more interested in seeing the remains of the only sunshine in his life. Death and destruction was no longer his appetite. He no longer craved the blood and violence, but a simpler life.



“There isn’t a chemical plant or anything near it. I wonder…”



Wesley and Charles ran into Angel’s office, not letting Angel finish his though, “Angel, we have a problem.” Charles Gunn started. His ebony skin shone with perspiration, indicating something was deathly wrong. The two men stood right inside the doorway, both dreading what they had to tell their boss.



“There was an explosion at the docks…” Wesley Wyndam-Price continued.



“We felt it. What makes it an emergency? The police are already there, see?” Angel crossed his arms over his bulky torso.



“It decimated the Slayer line.” Wesley stated quickly. Angel gasped, he felt like the wind was knocked out of him.



Spike turned his back on the sunset. “What?”



“The explosion, the… Slayers were fighting a nest at the docks. We were alerted about an hour ago of the fight.” Wesley came towards Angel, eyeing his reactions. Ever since Andrew had visited them a few years ago, Angel had felt abandoned by Buffy. His anger turned to resentment over time, yet he still felt love for her. “Over 300 Slayers congregated for the fight, knowing it would be difficult.”



“What kind of demon?” Angel growled.



“T’kgarnet, deadly with a swipe of its arm.” Gunn answered. He was amazed that the Slayers would go over a nest like that. The poison that was on the skin of the T’kgarnet had no cure and was practically deadly on contact.



“The Slayers killed over 75 percent of the demons, by all predictions, they were going to win.”



“Get on with the explosion, mate!” Spike looked out to the waterfront, seeing the streams of water fighting the blaze. The Slayers were there, fighting for their lives. Maybe one or two of them he knew.



“When it looked like the Slayers were going to win within minutes, one of the demons, Sven, I believe, went over to a tank he was storing and lit it on fire. Evidently, he had a plan to kill the Slayers.” Wesley took a deep breath before continuing, “Buffy saw what was happening and started to evacuate the Slayers.” Angel closed his eyes and sat down on the edge of his desk. Spike looked back at the waterfront, narrowing his eyes, praying that Buffy was all right. “She got the first few out and went back in. The building exploded then.”



Angel looked at Spike, knowing they were feeling the same thing. He watched Spike’s eyes water, knowing he was thinking the worst. “She’s not dead.” Angel stood up and strode over to his coat, putting it on. “Which hospital are they taking the survivors to?”



“Saint Michaels on Gardenia.” Wesley watched Spike watch Angel’s movements.



“Come on, Spike. She isn’t dead. Let’s go.” Spike followed quietly behind



~*~*~



The scene in front of them was pure chaos. Doctors and nurses running from patient to patient, all women, assessing their injuries. The gurneys populated the large E.R. No room for curtained off areas, too many victims of the blast lay in the depths of the hospital. Spike heard the roar of the ambulance sirens fading in and out, as new victims arrived. Burns and smoke inhalation seemed to be the most prevalent injuries on the young girls. A few had broken bones and head injuries. Spike walked through the maze of people, looking at each face, trying to recognize any of them. Luckily for him, he didn’t recognize anyone; the slayers that he helped train when they were only potentials were not here. He spotted Giles on the far side of the Emergency Room, working on some of the Slayers. Giles’ head was down, helping to wrap wounds. Spike ducked down, not wanting to alert Giles that he was here.



Angel followed Spike, checking all the blond slayers to see if they were Buffy. They waded through the bodies, not sure if they were hoping to find her among them or not. Spike turned around when he felt a prickling against his neck and heard a commotion at the front doors.



“I told you, we cannot accept anymore victims. I’m sorry!” A burley orderly blocked the door from who ever was trying to get through. He could see that a few people were standing outside.



“And I told you to move.” The sweet, determined, familiar voice hit Spike. Nibblet! “Get out of my way or else!”



“I don’t think so little girl. What ya going to do to me? Flip me with your hair to death?” Spike could here the condescending tone in the orderly’s voice. His teeth ground together, how dare anyone speak to his Nibblet like that?



“Don’t say I didn’t warn you.” Spike watched the orderly grunt and crumble to the ground. Dawn was standing in the doorway. Her long brown hair was a bit shorter than the last time he saw her. Her baby face had turned sleek and sophisticated. She had grown up into a beautiful woman. She looked like an angel as she put her knee down and stepped forward, kicking the orderly out of the way. She looked from side to side, for anyone paying attention to what was about to come through the door. She nodded at those who were on the other side of the door.



Blue sparkles of magic lit the room as Dawn moved in. Flares of blue energy surrounded the door and came into the Emergency Room. Spike ducked behind a utility cart, shielding him from Dawn’s view and the energy floating around. Behind Dawn, a badly burned body was suspended in the air. Dawn walked down the hall, paving way for the body to float through the air. Her hair, covered in soot was long and light. Her face, Spike thought, the face of his redemption was burned almost past recognition, but Spike would recognize her anywhere, Buffy. Dark welts formed on her cheeks and forehead. Her eyebrows burnt to a crisp. Her lips were pale and slim, taking shallow breathes as her body floated. She was covered in a white gauze, dripping with water. They must have found her on fire. Spike could see the angry black welts forming on her skin and the red scars puckering at the edges. Behind her body, Willow was walking with her arms in front of her, holding Buffy in a magical bubble. Her hair was long and white, eyes black. The blue sparks emanated from her fingers as she guided Buffy safely across the room. The wind rushed by her, infusing Willows body with more earthly magic. Xander stepped in behind her, closing the door to the emergency room. He was wearing a dark jacket and blue jeans. His eyes were covered in dark glasses. Spike watched Buffy float by, the smell of her flesh burning in his nostrils. He moved into the shadows with Angel, watching the floating body of Buffy hover over the floor.



Giles stepped forward, “Oh God, you found her!”



“We need a doctor, now.” Dawn’s voice sounded so deep and authoritative. Spike was proud of his Nibblet.



“Yes, of course, but they are with the others.” Giles shook his head as he looked at his ex-charge, now burnt to a crisp.



“No, we need one now! She isn’t going to make it.” Dawn stepped past Giles on search for a doctor.



“They are working on the others.” Giles reasoned.



“If it wasn’t for her risking her life, they would all be charcoal! Now get a doctor in here right away!” Dawn insisted.



“Very well, Dawn. I will catch one when they come through. What happened?”



Xander stepped forward, tears running down one side of his face. “She was hit on the head with a beam and collapsed. We figure she inhaled a lot of smoke. Burned all over. She was screaming about her mother and pain when we found her. Willow put a sleep spell on her so she wouldn’t feel the pain.”



“Do you really think that was nec…”



“Giles,” Dawn turned around and grasped his shoulders. “Buffy is dying.”



~*~*~



Spike’s POV


The doctors moved in then. The white gauze, now gray with ash and red from clotted blood was taken off. Her frail form was placed on a gurney for a minute, before her screams of pain penetrated throughout the room. Willow’s magic increased once more, lifting the slayer up so her sensitive skin was no long touching the harsh fabric of hospital sheets. Warm ‘Normal Saline’ was poured over Buffy so they could soak off the clothes that remain attached to her charred flesh. Inch after agonizing inch, they revealed the crisp necrotic outer layer of The Slayer. I looked at her face, crumbled with pain, and I weep at it. Trails of her tears down her face reminded me of the macabre paintings that they fill museums with, calling it ‘beauty’. Her eyes were screwed shut, if she opened them, she would be looking at me. See me. I saw her face flinch every time someone would brush up against her. The other Slayers, ones that weren’t hurt watched as their commander and chief was fighting for her life. Their faces stared as her body became more and more invisible were sickened. Tears poured out of the little ones, afraid what was their fate in a world without their leader, The Slayer.



The door to the Emergency Room opened again. Faith. Her raven hair hung perkly on her head. Some soot marred her face, but she was unharmed. I could smell that she was not in the building at the time of the explosion. Her breath did not carry the death sentence that the others did. At that moment, I could rip out her rib cage and wear it as a hat. How dare she not be fighting right along with Buffy! The New York Slayer’s son followed. Robin Wood was out of breath, obviously trying to keep up with the darker Slayer. He had a gash on his head and made obvious by his clothes, wasn’t either near the building or inside it when the explosion happened. He was coughing up blood; evidently he inhaled too much smoke. Faith walked over to Buffy’s body. Tears formed in her eyes, she smelled scared, just like the rest of the lot. Bloody cowards. They stared down at Buffy’s charred body, talking amongst themselves. Faith obviously was not ready to take over Buffy’s job. Fear and revulsion shone in her eyes. Buffy’s body started to shake, sounded like a death rattle to me. I saw her eyes slit open, unseeing, but open none the less. I saw the water break through her lashes, pouring down her face. Her breath came in staccato pants. Xander held onto Willow as she weakened. The energy didn’t crackle as fast from her fingers. Buffy’s body started to falter in the air. Dawn walked over with a gurney topped with softer bedding. Willow laid Buffy’s body down, silencing her cries of anguish with a spell.



I wanted to hold her, let her know she wasn’t alone, she was safe. But something kept me in my hiding place. Angel stood behind me, watching the same scene. I wonder what he is thinking. Did he feel the same heart wrenching that I did? Did he still see the beautiful Slayer laying on the gurney? The doctor shook his head at the group. Nothing could be done for the Slayer. Her body could not heal fast enough. Infections would set in and she would die, it was only a matter of time. Giles was the first to break away. His English upbringing coming through. We could never show our true emotions, could we? English men were weak if we did that. Cried over the child we never had, the girl that we could never have. We were ponces if we did that. Well, I’m a ponce because I’ve cried over her. Still crying over her.



Slowly, the Scoobies walked away, leaving Buffy’s unconscious body alone. Afraid to touch her. Afraid to acknowledge her. The doctors and nurses started to run around again. Other victims needed help. Other girls that were not a lost cause. Dawn stayed by her sister, moving the gurney out of the high traffic area and into a small cubby. She moved the curtain around, shutting down the freak show of Buffy’s death. The girls that were staring at the Slayer now paid attention to their own wounds, crying about it. I moved down the corridor and peaked through the back curtain. Dawn brought over a chair, sitting down next to the gurney. She tentatively touched Buffy’s burnt hand. She grasped it more firmly as the Slayer moved her hand to hold her hand. Dawn smiled down at Buffy, love and compassion flowed between the two. It was the most beautiful things I have ever witnessed.



Angel came up behind me, staring at Dawn and Buffy. He gave me a push into the little curtained room. Dawn looked up, her eyes widening. “Oh my god.” She whispered and looked toward the curtain where the Scoobies still were congregated around.



“Shh, Nibblet.” I came closer. I sensed Dawn’s blood pump faster, excited to see me. “How is she?” I ask. What a stupid question, I’m a git. Of course I can see how she is doing.



“Dying, Spike.” Dawn’s eyes filled with tears. I came over and put my arm around her. She felt like Buffy the night that she told me her mom was sick on the back steps of their house.



“I know, hush, Nibblet. Got to be strong for big sis, here.” I looked down at her body. It was worse up close. Layers of her skin tissue were flaking off, leaving her insides visible. I looked into Buffy’s face, he eyes were open again, but this time she focused on something, me. I smiled down, trying not to show how scared I was. “Hello, Buffy.” I ducked my head and pulled Dawn closer. I saw Angel in the shadows watching us.



“Are you with Mom?” Her lips cracked under the pressure of her words. She tried licking them, but they only cracked more.



“Shh, love. Keep your strength up.” I move my hand near hers, letting her know I was there.



“Are you an angel?” Her eyes rolled behind her eyelids.



“Hardly an angel, love. Got the wrong vampire.” I smirked. She was adorable even in the end.



She was delirious, I could tell the way her pupil dilated and her eyes weren’t focused. “Mom, why didn’t you tell me Spike was with you?” I looked down at Dawn, fresh tears running down her face. She looked at Buffy looking at something at the other side of the bed.



“She’s been doing that since we found her… talking to Mom.” Dawn said. “Says Mom is an angel. A protector, a guardian.”



“Dawn, shhh.” Buffy’s charred arm came up and touched Dawn’s face. I saw her arm was almost devoid of protective skin. “It’ll be all right. Mom and Spike are here, Dawn. He’s right there, holding you. I’ll be a guardian, too. Mom says… it’s almost time.” Buffy arm fell to the bed; she winced on impact. “Dawnie… tell them…” Buffy’s voice broke. Her breathing was shallower; she was fighting against nature now. “Tell them that I love them.” Buffy closed her eyes, her breath slowed down. “I’m ready Mommy, Spike. Please, look after her.” I didn’t know what she meant. I watched her lungs fight for air, her face calm and brave. We watched her take her last breath, crying over her body.



I held onto Dawn, too afraid to let go, that she would melt away. I watched over Buffy, her body calm and relaxed. We cried silently, trying not to alert the others. It was our time to mourn. A beautiful purple glow filled the curtained room, bathing us all in warmth and happiness. Joyce stepped forward, touching Buffy’s charred skin. She wiped away the burns and abrasions leaving her skin perfect once more. I watched the woman who I came to love and respect heal her daughter. Buffy opened her eyes and look directly into her mother’s eyes. Dawn watched with dry eyes as Joyce helped Buffy sit up and get out of bed. They walked over to the light, ready to step in it when Buffy turned around and faced us. “Take care of her, Spike. I’ll be watching you.” With a flirtatious smile and a little wave she stepped into the light and out of this realm.



I hug Dawn one more time before Angel stepped in the room. I look up at him, expecting him to make a smart-ass remark about Buffy’s leaving with Joyce, but none came. He was staring at the bed. Buffy’s body still was laying on the gurney, still covered in burns and abrasions. I knew we witnessed something special, something sacred. Something that Buffy shared with me and not Angel. She shared her soul.



~The End