Author's Chapter Notes:
I am a new writer, and constructive criticism is always welcome! Thanks McChick for all of the help!
Chapter 1
The Ring


A stake casually twirled in Buffy’s hand as she dutifully walked through Sunnydale’s largest cemetery. Thoughts began rushing through the slayer’s head like the blood that constantly pulses through her veins. She desperately wished she could be thinking of Spike’s cold but loving lips against her own, however, thoughts of the ensouled vampire she once cared so deeply for only purged her mind. The rocky path she walked down lead only to darkness, so she decided to go home.

Buffy walked for what seemed like hours, but finally reached her house. As she dragged herself through the door and up the stairs, Buffy peered into Dawn’s bedroom and saw her sound asleep in her bed. After making a quick check in on Willow in her own room, with Tara entangled within her arms, Buffy quietly walked down the hall and finally reached her room, where she immediately fell asleep, for she was determined not to think of Angel.

Kiss. Touch. Caress. Kiss. Touch. Caress.
Buffy’s hand ran up his smooth, muscular arm and found its way to the very spot the Gryphon had stained his skin so many years before.
Kiss. Touch. Caress. Kiss. Touch. Caress.


Dreams haunted the slayer for hours, urging her to return her Claddagh ring to her delicate finger. Buffy awoke but she wasn’t alone. Some time after she had fallen asleep, Spike had slipped in and rested his cool body up against her. Their hands were entangled which made her heart almost melt. Buffy laid there with a feeling of absolute guilt, considering she had just been dreaming about Angel.

Buffy squirmed out of Spike’s strong but gentle grasp and stumbled over to her dresser. Hidden beneath a mess of clothing, she found the Claddagh ring that she received the night that had just replayed in her head. Thoughts of Angel flooded throughout Buffy’s head and tears began to roll down her pale face. She felt horrible when she thought of how Spike would react to her sudden urge to dredge up her past. The Claddagh ring was lying in her lap on her bare thighs, along with tears scattered about. Eventually, a single drop landed at the top of the ring, and rushed through the creases of the ring, starting with the silver crown, then divided and surrounded the hands, and finally encircled the heart.

Buffy slid the ring onto her middle finger, the little heart pointing toward her, and studied it for a moment. Suddenly, heat surged through her body, and a searing pain filled her from head to toe. The creases separating and forming the crown, hands, and heart filled with the color of a glowing ember. Her delicate hand burned as if it had just been placed into scolding hot water. The pain was almost unbearable.

L.A. ~Moments Later~
Angel awakens, glistening in sweat and excruciating pain filled his entire body. Suddenly, he slipped out from under the sheets and fell to the floor, unable to move. Cordelia woke up, alarmed after hearing the sound of Angel’s fall, and wrapped the sheets around her body as she crawled to the floor to Angel’s side. As he laid there, crying out from the pain, Angel looked to his ring which seemed to be the epicenter of the pain and saw nothing but the bright colors of flames gleaming all around him. Cordy, having no idea of what she should do, rushed to the phone to call Wesley.

Back in Sunnydale
Buffy did everything she could to not wake Spike, and was surprised at how well she was silencing the screams which she so desperately wanted to let out. The last thing she needed was Spike waking up and going into a jealous rage at the sight of the Claddagh ring, so in order to remain as silent as she could, Buffy bit down on her lip to the point of drawing blood. Spike awoke immediately at the scent of the slayer’s blood and looked over to see Buffy, obviously in pain, trying to remove the ring he despised so deeply… the ring he thought Buffy no longer possessed.

Unaware of Spike watching her, Buffy continued to fidget with the Claddagh ring, convinced that the pain would go away once it was removed.

Not being able to handle watching her like this Spike slipped out from under the sheets and moved toward Buffy. Sensing his movements, she turned to see Spike standing over her shoulder. Only thinking about what was going on in Spike’s mind, Buffy didn’t notice that the pain has subsided. Whether it went down on its own, or she was just too distracted to notice, she didn’t know, and personally, didn’t care.

“I’m sorry”, Buffy blurted out.

“What for, luv?” Spike replied in a gentle and understanding tone.

“I don’t know why I put it on, I was having this stupid dream and...” she rambled on.

Spike continued to walk around her until he was kneeling by her side, however, slightly worried she may push him away.

Buffy continued to ramble on until Spike grabbed her arms and looked directly into her green eyes. He hated seeing her in pain, and he was glad that he had held back the infuriating anger he felt at the sight of the ring.

Spike rested his hand upon the side of Buffy’s face, and examined the cut below her lip. Within moments, he was kissing her, and enjoying the sweet taste of her blood. Buffy sat there and was somewhat surprised that she wasn’t disgusted at the thought of her blood in Spike’s mouth. Frankly, she felt better then she had in a long time.

Spike moved his kisses from Buffy’s lips and kissed her cheek. It was intimate, and thoughtful, and she realized a moment later exactly what he was doing. This soulless vampire before her was kissing away the tears which were resting upon her cheeks. Buffy’s insides churned, and she felt as if butterflies were touching her face. After a moment, the butterflies flew away, and she looked up into his eyes and Spike smiled. He passionately kissed her once more, and at the same time, scooped her up into his arms. Being held in his arms, all of the pain she felt before was now completely gone, and she was lost in his pure blue eyes. Spike carried Buffy over to her bed and gently returned her to the position she was in before she had the dreams which awoke her.

Buffy was exhausted and Spike was just as ready to drift of to sleep, but when he looked over her once more, he couldn’t help but notice tears scattered about on numerous places among her body. Spike bent down to kiss her and then slowly crawled onto her small bed. Starting with her painted toes he caressed her with kisses until he was sure every inch of her body had not been missed. Once he was satisfied, he placed a gentle kiss on her lips once more and then laid beside her to let his sleeping beauty drift into a world of dreams… or for him, possibly nightmares.

Spike wrapped his arms around Buffy as she adjusted to get comfortable, which finally happen when she rested her head on his bare chest. The final moments before she fell asleep, Buffy wondered how she was going to get the Claddagh ring off when she awoke, and hoped no other thoughts of Angel would enter her mind.