Author's Chapter Notes:
You'll find that I like to quote movies quite often. There are probably to many movies to name so if some lines seem familar, they probably are. I don't own them. Just like I don't own anything from the BTVS universe. Although Spike has made many a cameo in my day/night dreams.
Chapter 1 - Changes

Buffy sat in the middle of her bed looking around at her childhood room. Tears sprang to her eyes as she thought about the past year and the events that would change her life. At the beginning of her senior year at Sunnydale High School, she applied to the Harmony Academy of the Arts in New York City. A few months after sending in her application and a video of some of her performances, she got her acceptance letter. Out of thousands of students trying to get into this prestigious school, she made it. She was getting the chance to chase her dreams. Never in a million years would she have thought that she was good enough to get into the Academy. Sure her grades were good and she had outstanding recommendations from all her music teachers but that was high school, this was college. Would she be able to handle it? Not to mention moving across the country and leaving the only home she has ever known.

Her inter conflict was interrupted by a knock at the window of her bedroom. She looked up to see Xander Harris trying to keep his balance on the ladder outside. Smiling she quickly made her way over to the window to let her best friend in. Her smile turned sad when she realized that this would probably be the last time he would ever do that.

“Sheesh, I’ve been knocking on the window for the last ten minutes. I thought I was gonna have to be normal and actually use the front door for… “Xander paused when he noticed the look on her face. “What’s wrong Buffster?”

Buffy sat down on the bed never making eye contact. “Nothing really, I guess I’m just realizing how much I’m going to miss this place.”

“You know you’re going to be great right?” When she didn’t say anything he sat next to her and put an arm around her shoulder pulling her closer. “This is your dream, Buff, what you’re supposed to be doing. You’re a musical genius that’s gonna make her dreams come true and I for one couldn’t be more proud of you.”

“You mean that, Xand?”

His heart almost broke at the insecurity he saw in her eyes and the tears that were now flowing freely from them. “Of course you’re going to do great things Buffy Anne Summers!” He stood and grabbed her hands to haul her to her feet. “Now what do you say about a goodbye dinner at the Bronze then I’ll ride with you and your family to the airport?”

“Sounds wonderful!” She said, jumping up to stand on her bed. She grabbed Xanders shoulders and turned him around so she could jump on his back like they used to do when they were little. “Remember when we were about ten; I fell off the monkey bars at the park?”

“Yeah, you twisted your ankle and I had to carry you piggy back all the way home while you were screaming and crying in my ear.”

“Do you remember when I tried to ride my bike down Dead Mans hill with no hands?”

“Yes, again I had to carry you when you scraped up both knees and broke your arm screaming and hollering just like the monkey bar incident. Is there a reason you decided to bring up all the stupid things we did when we were young?” He commented as he made his way down the stairs.

“You are always there to carry me when I need you Xand. You’re the best friend a girl could have and I love you so much for that. What am I gonna do without you?”

Feeling the tears well up in his eyes at her confession, he slowly put her on her feet when they reached his car. “I’m not going anywhere Buffy, I’m still going to be just a phone call or e-mail away. We are still going to be best friends nothing is going to change that.”

“I know I’m just going to miss you so much!” They stood there face to face no one talking for the longest time. Tears streaming down both of their faces.

“Enough with this weeping already, we are not going to spend your last few hours in Sunnyhell crying like four year olds. Let’s go and get dinner and enjoy ourselves before your flight.” He said as he helped her into the passenger side of his car.

“Your right, I’m starving and a burger from the Bronze is what the doctor ordered.”

She turned on the music as he pulled out of her driveway, grimacing at what he considered music. “There will be one good thing about us being on opposite coasts.”

“What’s that?”

“I won’t have to listen to the scariness that is your taste in music.” She had to giggle at the offended look he got on his face as he placed his hand over his heart.

“This coming from the girl that wants Wind Beneath my Wings played at her wedding.”

“I was 12 and Beaches was my favorite movie, what do you expect?”

They both burst out laughing and the rest of the ride to the Bronze was a mixture of their usual banter and fighting for control of the stereo.


********************


The ride to the airport was excruciating for the three youngsters in the backseat of the Summers’ car. Buffy was sitting between Xander and her brother Angel as they all tried to calm down an inconsolable Joyce Summers in the front passenger seat. Even Buffy’s dad Hank was having a hard time calming her down.

They all flinched as Joyce’s sobs reached an ear piercing decibel as they pulled into the airport parking garage. “I can’t believe… my little... girl is going away to….COLLEGE!” She was blowing her nose and hiccupping all at the same time.

As soon as Buffy stepped out of the car Joyce had her in a vice like hug as her crying became louder.

It was Hank that stepped in to help out his little girl. “Joyce, we raised her to be a smart and respectable young woman. She is going to be fine.” He wrapped his wife in a hug and smiled at Buffy when she mouthed ‘thank you’ to him.

As they gathered luggage and started for the check-in line, Buffy notice that her big brother was being unusually quite for a change. She fell into step with him and wrapped her arm through his bigger one. “I’m going to be okay.” She stated quietly.

“I know, it’s just, what if someone tries to hurt you, or something goes wrong, I can’t protect you when your thousands of miles away from me.”

Buffy smiled up at her big brother and protector for all her life. “I’m going to be fine Angel. You taught me to defend and stick up for myself a long time ago. I’m a strong person and I owe a lot of that to you.”

“I AM a pretty good big brother.” She giggled at the wink he sent her way.

“Yeah, when you’re not totally pissing me off.” She said as she leaned up to give him a kiss on the cheek.

When she was all checked in they headed to her gate to say their goodbyes before she boarded the plane.

Buffy walked over to Xander and wrapped her arms around his waist as she laid her head on his chest. “Your one in a million Buffster.” Xander’s voice was a mere rumbling as he wrapped his arms around her.

“Luv ya Xand.”

She slowly let go of Xander after she gave him a loud kiss on his cheek, and made her way over to Angel. “I’m gonna be just fine big bro. Maybe you can come and visit me over spring break and I’ll be home at Christmas, I promise.”

“I got ya little something sis.” He reached into his jacket pocket and handed her a little purple gift bag.

She rolled her eyes when she saw what was inside. “Pepper spray?”

“Keep that with you at all times. I mean it Buffy, you can never be too careful.” His tone told her that it was not up for argument.

“Aye, aye captain.” Buffy mock saluted him and stuck the pepper spray in her carry-on.

Her mother was next in line and as Buffy walked up to her Joyce threw her arms around Buffy again and started crying. With a roll of her eyes, she hugged her mother back and whispered in her ear how much she loved her and was going to miss her. This in turn just made Joyce’s wailing hit that soprano pitch again as Angel tried his best to comfort her while Buffy said bye to their dad.

“I love you daddy, so much.”

“I love you to princess, I’m going to miss you so much.” Hank let out a chuckle as Buffy threw her arms around him and blew a raspberry on his cheek. “You’re my heart baby girl, please don’t forget it.”

“I won’t daddy, I promise.”

“Flight 325 to New York is now boarding seats 1-25”

They broke apart as the announcement came over the loud speaker. Buffy took a deep breathe as she realized that this was the last time for a couple of months that she was going to see her family.

“That’s me. I’ll call as soon as my flight lands in New York.” She took one last good look at her family and turned to walk to through the gate.

“Buffy wait.” She turned as soon as she heard Angel call her name. He reached into his back pocket and handed her a wad of money. He laughed as her eyes bugged out and she just stared from him back to the money in her hand.

“I can’t take this Angel. You were saving this for you new motorcycle.”

“You my dear sister are a better investment, now no arguments, I want you to have it.”

Stunned into silence Buffy just opened her carry-on and stuck it inside her journal. “You are the best big brother ever, I love you Angel!”

Buffy started walking to her gate once more. As she gave the clerk her ticket, she turned around and gave one last little wave to the most important people in her life.