Author's Chapter Notes:
A big thank you to Skytteflickan and Jeanie for helping me out with grammar and such. You guys rock!

If you like what you read, let me know
Very Virgin Mary




“We live in a country where the only thing that counts is money. And we are so fucking bored that our version of fun is to go to the mall and buy some shit we don’t really need in the first place. It’s a great fucking country we live in, ain´t it? Everything is so meaningless. I’m so tired of it. Nobody cares about what I have to say. I don’t have a car so I can’t go anywhere. All I can hope for right now is to survive high school. Well, at least I’ve got my Black Jack chewing gums” A loud chewing sound invaded the radio microphone and ventured on throughout the ether. Into the rooms of teenagers all over the small town of Sunnydale, a sleepy suburbia in southern California, the distorted but distinct female voice poured its anger and fear. Eager ears listening by their radios while their parents lay sound asleep in their beds.


“And the school…how are they supposed to raise thinking independent individuals when they frown upon those who speak up? I say it’s bullshit. And on that note….take it away Mr. Cohen.


Everybody knows that the dice are loaded, everybody rolls with their fingers crossed, everybody knows the war is over, everybody knows the good guys lost. Everybody knows the fights´ fixed, the poor stay poor, the rich get richer, that’s how it goes, everybody knows


“Oh no, now I got all depressed again. And strangely all though our beloved school counselor, Mr. Deaver has told us that we all have a bright future ahead of us. Shame on me. Yours truly, Very Virgin Mary should truly be ashamed. But I’m too fucking tired to be ashamed. Now it’s time for some real hard core, maybe you remember this from when I played it last week. So again, put your house on fire and dance! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh!”


Hi dad I’m in jail, hi dad I’m in jail! Happy birthday, I’m in jail. I’m in jail, say hi to mum! Hello dad, hi dad I’m in jail dad!


5 minutes later Very Virgin Mary collapsed onto her bed, sweating and with a heaving chest, as the loud music kept on pounding the walls. The scarcely lit room was a quilt of colors – a lamp draped in a red cloth hung from the ceiling, a green neon sign flashed the word VACANT every third second; CD‘s, pencils, drawings, empty food cartons and clothes were scattered across the bed and floor. Stretching along one wall was a monstrous machine with flickering red and yellow buttons with a mike attached to a metal arm.




As teenagers around Sunnydale eagerly expected to hear what Very Virgin Mary was going to say next, they were all disappointed when the song was cut in mid half as the broadcast ended abruptly.



Sunnydale High. Next day.



“Did you listen last week when she masturbated on air?”

“I’ve heard that she’s done that several times, man”

“Wow, it must be one of those hot chicks in cheerleading if she wants do herself that often!”

“Oh shut up!”


Mark and Seth went quiet as two of the said cheerleaders walked by.


“Definitely one of those”

“Shut up!”


They got up as they heard the bell ring, and headed for their first class of the day


Sunnydale High looked like it´d done ever since it was erected back in the sixties. A vanilla white color tainted the thick walls of the building that from a distance looked like a giant shoebox, dropped from the skies into the middle of a white middle-class neighborhood.


A black Desoto screeched to a stop in front of the shoebox.

“Home, sweet home” the driver whispered and stepped out of the car, his black boots connecting with the warm asphalt. He pulled off his black leather coat and threw it in the back seat before shutting the car door.

He scanned the busy schoolyard until his gaze settled on a blonde girl that stood alone at the main gate.
She was always standing alone and always looked a bit lost. She had moved to Sunnydale about 4 months ago. Just like Very Virgin Mary. And she didn´t seem to have any friends. It’s got to be her.
Her blond hair framed a face with big eyes and full lips. She looked exactly like he’d imagined Very Virgin Mary to look like. He´d drawn sketches of what he thought the person behind the voice that had occupied his mind lately, might look like without ever having seen her.


His got distracted for a few moments as a black, large Mercedes pulled up to the curb next to where he was standing, daddy’s little princess stepping out of it a moment later. Always dressed to the nines in brand names and always perfectly laid make-up and hair Cordelia Chase looked like a model. Most guys would gawk her way as soon as her dad left with his car; however Spike had his mind on someone else.


“Hi” Spike was now standing right in front of the blonde.

“Hi” the blonde kept her eyes on the ground.

He leaned forward so that their noses almost touched and furrowed his eyebrows. “Are you really a virgin?”


The blond did nothing but stare back him with wide eyes. He backed off a little, since he didn’t want to scare her.


“Tell me your name, goldilocks”

“Harmony”

“Harmony…” he said, as if tasting the name in his mouth.


She picked up her bag without once raising her eyes to him and said: “I really have to go now”


“All right. Bye luv. I hope we can talk again sometime.”


She just shook her shoulder as saying “I don’t know” and walked off, leaving him behind to watch her back as she with slouched shoulders disappeared into the herd of students.


Spike decided he wasn’t gonna let her get away that easily. He chased after her and saw her ascending the steps to the second floor. He kept his eyes on her and followed closely, almost tripping over a chubby girl that sat on the bottom step. Spike watched the blonde as she entered a class room, while the girl sitting on the steps put another stick of Black Jack gum in her mouth.



End of Chapter 1.