Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, I’m finally getting around to putting this story in. I’ve been working hard on this one for a while now and I have to say that I’m very proud of how it’s coming out. I wanted to thank Brat and DrkDevin for their encouragement and quick read through of the story. They both managed to make me feel a lot better about posting. I think this might be my best work yet, but I’m still a little nervous about it. As of right now, this is my last story and I don’t know if I would be writing anymore after it, so I’m hoping it’s a good one. Everything in Italics will be flashbacks. I have a few of them. I’m hoping things will make a bit more sense after this chapter. There will be much Spuffiness in this; it just has to work up to it. This idea might have been done before, but I like to think that I do things a bit differently. Any comments would be very much appreciated. I really want to know what you guys think of it. Also, the lovely banner was made by DrkDevin. Thanks again, babe=)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Chapter 1

“That’s it, baby. Just a little more, you’re almost there,” he said soothingly.

She took a deep breath. “I can’t, William. It hurts so much.”

He gave her hand a squeeze and kissed her damp forehead. “You can do it, love.”

“He’s right, Elizabeth. All we need is one more push. Do you think you can handle that?”

She nodded at the doctor’s words and pushed with everything that she had, feeling beyond exhausted once she was finished.

The doctor took the baby to be cleaned off.

William smiled at his wife. “You did it, sweetheart. You brought our child into this world.”

Elizabeth gave a small smile of her own, but felt all of the energy leave her body. “I’m so tired, Will,” she whispered.

The machines beeped in the background.

The doctor moved back to her side and noticed the extra amount of blood loss. “She’s losing too much blood,” he claimed in a frantic voice and got right to work.

William moved away in shock at what was happening. He glanced at his wife to see that her eyes were starting to close. “What’s wrong with her?”

“We’re losing her.”

William stepped closer when Elizabeth looked up at him.

“I love you, William.”

He had tears falling down his face now, but they weren’t happy like a moment ago. “I love you, too. You have to be okay. We have a beautiful, little girl now. She needs her mother.”

Elizabeth grasped his hand in hers. “Take care of her for me. Promise that she’ll know how much I love her.”

William nodded and brought her hand to his lips, kissing her knuckles. He gazed at her face just in time to see her take her last breath. “No, Elizabeth!” he yelled. “Baby, come back. Please, come back. You can’t leave me.”

The doctor called the time of death and placed a comforting hand on William’s shoulder. “I’m sorry for your loss. We did all that we could.”

He hardly even heard what the doctor said, just stared at his wife lying there. The sound of a baby crying seemed to snap him out of it and he gazed at his child, not knowing what he was going to do now.



* * * * *


William Pratt woke with a start, sweat dripping down his face. He glanced around at his surroundings and saw that he was still in his room. The same dream haunted him every night. It pained him more knowing that it wasn’t just a dream, but a memory of a time that felt so long ago. He took in a deep breath and got out of bed. It was only six months ago that it happened. He lost his wife and gained a daughter in the same day. He just wished it didn’t have to be one or the other. Elizabeth should be with him right now. He was nothing without her. That was also the day that William died, and Spike was born.


* * * * *


“What do you mean you’re quitting?” he asked in an outrage.

The woman was startled and took a step back. “I’m very sorry, Mr. Pratt. You knew this was only temporary.”

Spike sighed. “Right, but what if I paid you more?”

She shook her head. “It’s not just about the money, sir. I need to be closer to my family. I miss them dearly.”

He rolled his eyes. “Well, what am I supposed to do now? You’ve been my nanny for the last five months.”

She took a calming breath. “I suppose you could always find someone else. I’m sure there are others around here looking for work, but you could also spend some time with the child yourself.”

Spike glared at her. “Just what are you implying? That I’m neglecting my own daughter?”

She knew that probably wasn’t the right thing to say, but couldn’t take it back now. “You...You hired me to take care of her. I’ve hardly seen you in the nursery since I’ve been here. I’m very sorry about your wife, but the child shouldn’t be punished for that,” she explained, knowing she went too far when she saw the hard expression on his face.

“You can leave now, Ms. Simpson. We’re done here,” Spike stated as he walked away, not bothering to wait for a response.

“May God help you,” she whispered in the empty kitchen, then gathered her belongings and left the house.


* * * * *


Spike headed upstairs to Emma’s room. He took a deep breath and gazed at the sleeping child in her crib. He caressed her cheek, being careful not to wake her. He didn’t understand what that woman was talking about, but knew he had to find another nanny. Hopefully one that didn’t think she had a right to tell him how to raise his daughter.


* * * * *


“Oh my God, Buffy! It’s so great to see you!”

The blonde woman stumbled back when she was attacked in a hug by a very excited red head. “Same here, Willow.”

“I can’t believe you finally decided to move back. This town just hasn’t been the same without you.”

Buffy nodded and pulled out of the embrace. “I’m glad someone missed me.”

Willow shook her head. “I’m not the only one. Have you seen your parents yet?”

“A world of no, I wouldn’t even know what to say. I think I just need time before I go over there. After everything that happened, it’s just hard to face them right now.”

Willow nodded in understanding. “Well, you know that you can stay with me for as long as you need.”

Buffy smiled in gratitude and followed Willow into her apartment, happy to be around her best friend again.


* * * * *


“I need to find a job. I have to at least pay you rent or something.”

Willow shook her head. “You don’t have to worry about that, Buffy.”

“I need to, Will. I have to feel that I’m doing something useful,” she said, taking a sip from her coffee.

Willow nodded and knew there was no point arguing about it. “What are you usually good at?”

Buffy grabbed the paper and browsed through the want ads. “Not much, but there has to be something in here that I’m qualified for.” She looked for a little while longer and was about to give up, until an ad caught her eye. “Hey, there’s something in here about a nanny. I figure that’s the same as babysitting, right? I did enough of that in the past; I could probably handle it now.”

Willow agreed. “It sounds good. Why don’t you go over there today?”

Buffy smiled and was glad that she had a plan.


* * * * *


Spike rolled his eyes for what felt like the millionth time. He interviewed about ten nannies and none seemed to have what he was looking for. He would be afraid to leave his little girl in any of their care. He sighed when another knock sounded on the door and went to answer it, knowing that it would probably be another nightmare. Spike got the shock of his life when he gazed at the person on the other side. The woman was blonde, petite, and he would know that face anywhere.

“Elizabeth?”