Prologue

The rain had cleared up, and Wesley and Angel stepped out of the distillery-- with Dana strapped on to the gurney. Angel’s men had been behind him, all of them dressed in black and rifles slung to their backs.

“Chain her in the van,” Angel ordered them. “I want armed guards riding with her in the back.”

Andrew walked out of the darkness past the van where Angel’s men waited to load slayer.

“That’s all right, boys,” Andrew said, calmly. “I'll take it from
here.”

“What?” Angel asked—dumbfounded, how this pip squeak could be asking him for anything was beyond him.

“Totally appreciate your help on this on--big guy. “Never could've found her without out you, but you got enough problems of your own to worry about.”

Angel wasn't about to hand over Dana to Andrew. He started to walk around the boy, holding onto gurney with one hand,

“Get out, stay the way, Andrew.”

Angel gritted his teeth, he didn't have time to be dealing with this shit now, not to mention Andrew was starting to bug him.
Andrew didn't listen and made a bold move to step in Angel’s way.
“She’s a slayer. That means she’s ours!”

Angel looked Andrew over like he was nuts. Angel was pissed now.

“Yeah. Sorry. Not how it works.”

Looking over at the guards Angel ordered, “Load her up. Don't hesitate to restrain her if she so much as...”

He was interrupted by Andrew stepping right up in his face.

“No. I don't think you…heard me, Angel.”

Andrew felt confident now more than ever. Just then several girls stepped out of the shadows, there were young, no more than fifteen or sixteen, and already showing signs that they were beyond their years. They slowly stepped behind Andrew, backing him up. Angel’s men stepped back, not wanting to deal with a Slayer.

“Think we're just gonna let you take her back to your evil stronghold?” “Well, as they say in Mexico…No. We’re not gonna…let you.” Andrew realized he must look stupid right about now, but he didn't falter.

“She’s psychotic,” Angel didn't back down an inch, “and I'm not turning over to…you.”

“You don't have a choice. Check the view screen, Uhura. I got 12 Vampire slayers behind me, and not one of them has ever dated you.” Andrew stifled a chuckle. “She’s coming with us one way or another.”

Angel smirked, boys got guts, “You're way outta your league. I'll just clear this with Buffy.”

Andrew smiled as if he knew something the vampire didn’t know.

“Where do you think my orders came from?” “News flash—nobody in our camp trusts you anymore.”

Andrew shook his head, dismissing any hopes Angel may have had.

“Nobody.” “You work for Wolfram and Hart. Don’t yourself…we’re not on the same side.” “Thank you for your help…but, uh…we got it.”

He gestures to the girls to get Dana. A few of the girls rolled Dana away while the others closest to Andrew watched Angel, making sure he didn’t try anything. A few moments later, the girls and Andrew disappeared into the darkness.

“So that’s it,” Wesley questioned Angel. “You’re just gonna let him take her?”

“She’s one of theirs, they can handle it, besides…” Angel paused distractedly, still staring into the darkness. “You heard the man. We got enough problems of our own to worry about.” Angel was hurt that Buffy no longer trusted him, but he knew that would be the price to pay when he accepted work with Wolfram and Hart.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The head of the bed was up high enough for Spike to sit up and see who might come into the room. Fred had stuffed a few pillows behind his head so that he could be comfortable. Spike recovering from what the psychotic slayer had done to him.

She believed Spike was responsible for her parents death and her torture. Even though Spike hadn’t done it, he felt responsible for it nonetheless. He couldn’t help but feel guilty for all the killing that he’d done when he was without a soul.

He sighed deeply, knowing that there was nothing he could do for the young girl, she was too far-gone. He hoped that somehow someone was able to save her from her torment.

Angel knocked on Spike’s door, taking the blonde vampire away from his thoughts. Looking up at his grand-sire. He was none to pleased.

“Come to tap-dance on the patient, have we, doc?” he said, sarcastically. I’d give you the finger, but apparently I won’t have the motor skills till the drugs wear off.”

“A lot of pain?” Angel asks, walking in the room, ignoring Spike’s sardonic remark.

“More than I’d like. But not as much as you would... just what I deserve,” Spike said, sullenly.

Angel sighs, “I didn’t say that.”

“No. I did,” Spike responded, unsure of himself.
“The lass thought I killed her family, and I’m supposed to what, complain ‘cause hers wasn’t one of the hundreds of families I did kill? I’m not saying you’re right…’cause, uh…I’m physically incapable of saying that, but, uh…for a demon…I never did think that much about the nature of evil.” “No. Just threw myself in.” “Thought it was a party. I liked the rush. I liked the crunch. Never did look back at the victims.”

The vampire blinked slowly, reminiscing about the days when he was an evil soulless creature. That pain would always remain with him just as it would with his nemesis.

Angel was surprised that Spike was being so open and honest, so he figured he owed him that much in return.

”I couldn’t take my eyes off them, I was only in it for the evil.” “It was everything to me. It was art.” “The destruction of a human being.” “I would’ve considered Dana a masterpiece.”

Angel shifted a bit, referring to himself as Angelus and all the horrible things he had done pre-soul.

“What happens to her?” Spike asked, worried for the young girls safety, not to mention her sanity.

“I don’t know,” said Angel, worried as well. “Um, Andrew and the slayers took her. Didn’t trust us to help her.”

Would Angel be able to help with Wolfram and Hart behind him? He wasn’t so sure. The best place for Dana was with Buffy and Giles. They’d know how to help the girl, he tried reasoning with himself.

Spike smiled, “Andrew double-crossed us?” He chuckled, surprised by the little guy actions.

“That’s a good move. Hope for the little ponce yet.” “Though the tingling in my forearms tells me she’s too far-gone to help.” “She’s…one of us now…She’s a monster.”

“She’s an innocent victim.”

“So were we…once upon a time.”

“Once upon a time,” Angel echoed Spike’s statement.

The two vampires had come to an understanding, but both knew it would never become more than what it was. They hated each other, but would rely on each others instincts.