Author's Chapter Notes:
So I had this dream the other night. I often have these great action/adventure dreams that would play well on the big screen.

This one was short, but vivid. And Spike was in it, so bonus! I always remember my Spike dreams!

So I wrote it down and fleshed out some parts and here it is. It’s a bit different from anything else I’ve published, but I thought I’d throw it out there and see what y’all think. I hope you’ll give it a read and let me know what you think.
Alarms sounded as the residents of the underground bunker raced towards their rooms, anxious to find out the cause of this latest emergency. In the command center, the Master and his wife viewed the threat on the wall of video monitors. Topside, strategically located cameras caught the images of a military convoy; army green vehicles making their way towards their location. They easily spotted the command car and had one of the techs zoom in so they could see the occupants.

An audible gasp was heard among the muted sound of the blaring sirens. The Master’s wife had identified the commanding officer seated within the vehicle.

“Riley,” she said quietly, gripping her spouse’s arm.

“Can’t believe that wanker is still working for them,” replied her husband, placing his other hand over hers and squeezing in reassurance.

Master Spike turned to his aide and issued orders. “Make an announcement. Lock down the school, have people check their containment doors, and prepare for the fail-safe spell.”

“I want to try and stop him first,” Buffy said.

“And just how do you propose to accomplish that, luv?” Spike answered.

“Put me on the vidscreen when they arrive out front. I’ll call him out and see if he’ll agree to talk.” She reclaimed her arm and shifted into her battle stance, the one she used when she wanted to argue. Her body deflated somewhat when her husband surprised her by agreeing.

“Good idea, sweets.” He kissed her on the forehead. “But it goes without saying, don’t it?”

“Yes, Spike, I’ll be careful. I love you.”

“Love you, too,” he replied and let her go to the vid camera. He wanted to argue, tell her she was insane, but it would just draw out the drama. They needed to resolve this, show their power, and get on with their lives. And maybe GI Joker would actually listen to Buffy for a change.

~*~*~*~

The convoy was approaching the target when a large screen appeared from a building in front of them. The front cars came to a screeching halt, almost causing several accidents. But the drivers were chosen based on skill and resourcefulness, and accidents were avoided by quick feet.

A beautiful blonde woman appeared on the screen.

“Riley Finn, it’s me, Buffy. Please come to the front of the column.”

There were murmurs among the solders. How did this girl know their CO? In the command car, a furiously whispered debate was taking place.

“I know her! She’d never lead me into a trap!” Captain Finn’s voice was urgent as he talked quietly into the headset.

“Roger, that. Finn out.” He tapped the driver on his shoulder. “Take us to the front.”

Riley climbed out of his jeep and stood in front of the screen. “I’m here, Buffy,” he called out.

The staccato sounds of rifles being shouldered into position were heard when the door of the steel building in front of them hummed and the woman from the screen appeared. She beckoned to Riley and they met halfway.

“What are you doing here Riley?” she asked.

“I could ask the same of you,” he replied.

“I work here,” she said, gesturing behind her. “I’m still slaying, and protecting the Hellmouth. And we’re doing just fine.”

“We can close the Hellmouth, Buffy. We have the technology. And we know there are demons here. We can get rid of all them, at once.”

“And then I would become obsolete, wouldn’t I?” she said with a wry laugh.

“I’m sure…” he stuttered. “I’m sure there would be something, somewhere for you to do. We haven’t been able to wipe out all the demons everywhere. Yet.”

“Riley? May I?” she asked, holding out her hand towards his. Slowly he took it and she brought it up to her chest. He could feel her heat; her heart beating.

“Still human, okay? And still the Slayer. Do you trust me?”

“I guess.” Was the answer as she dropped his hand.

“Come inside with me. See what’s going on for yourself before you go ahead with this attack.”

“Go inside? Without backup? I can’t do that, Buffy,” he said, shaking his head.

“Look at me, Riley. I’m still alive, healthy, and there’s nothing in there that will harm you. Just come in, please?”

He knew he was going to get it from his superiors, but he trusted Buffy. He always had. He told his army to stand down and wait for him to return. Then he followed Buffy into the lion’s den.

What he saw surprised him. They were going down, but the further they got the more evidence he saw of civilization. Most of the doors were closed, but he saw storefronts, restaurants, and what appeared to be family dwellings lining the corridor. He saw furtive movements here and there, but no one crossed their path. Seems they’d been warned, then.

They stopped outside a door that looked bigger than the others. Buffy opened it and ushered him inside and his jaw nearly dropped at what he saw. Plush furnishings, wall hangings, and paintings drew his attention from the metallic sheen of the underground walls. It was…homey.

“Welcome to my home,” she said, pride evident in her voice. He barely heard the sound of crying as he took in the surroundings. A door opened, and a young girl came through, carrying a fussy toddler.

“I’m sorry, Buffy, but he just wants his mama right now,” the girl said, handing the sandy-haired child over.

“That’s okay, Cindy. We’re fine,” she replied, effectively dismissing the younger girl.

“Riley, meet my son Chris.”

“You have a son?” was all the soldier could say.

“I have two. And a daughter. The others are in school right now.”

“A school? I’m confused. What is this place, really? I was led to believe the Hellmouth was being overrun by demons.”

“This place is my home. Where my family and I, and many other families, live.”

“But…” He wanted to know more but was distracted by the sound of a door opening elsewhere in the apartment.

“Papa!” Chris squealed, and jumped from Buffy’s arms, running towards the opening door.

It took all of Riley’s military training to not give in to his weak knees when he saw whose arms Chris was running into.

The boy’s father was none other than William the Bloody.

Riley did shake his head and took a deep breath. “I am so completely lost here it’s not even funny,” he said sadly.

“Well, that’s the trouble with you military types,” Spike commented, swinging his son in the air. “You’re only given the information the brass wants you to have.”

“My mission aside, how is this possible? The kids I mean?”

“Not seeing how any of that’s your business, Finn,” Spike growled.

“It’s okay, Spike. Let me tell him and maybe he’ll understand.”

Nodding, Spike whisked Chris to the other side of the room where a toy box was stored. He retrieved some cars and actions figures and involved his son in a rousing car chase.

Buffy motioned for Riley to sit, and they took seats opposite one another.

“The last time I saw you in Sunnydale, I was pregnant, but I didn’t know it at the time.” She held up a hand when he wanted to ask something. “I’ll cover it all, just don’t interrupt, okay?” He motioned for her to continue.

“We don’t know how it happened, but it did, and it jolted both of us into reality. I decided I really wanted to be a mother, and Spike wanted to be a father, so we worked things out, got married, and had two more children.

“One night, when Beth, our oldest, was a few months old, Spike ran into a Sp’geth demon on patrol. The thing electrocuted him and almost dusted him.” She had to stop her narrative while she composed herself. Obviously, the topic was still emotional for her. “We found out later that his chip was fried. But we were married by then and I trusted him, so we decided that he should reclaim the title of Master of the Hellmouth. We figured that would be the best way to gain control of the demons here.

“Soon word got out that William the Bloody was back in business, even though he married the Slayer and had a child with her. Demons that wanted to hurt, kill, maim, and eat the population were killed or run out of town. Those who wanted to live peacefully here like they had for many years were welcome.

“What you see here now is the result of years of building trust, cultivating relationships, negotiating differences in lifestyles and cultures, and a desire for people to be left alone. In your superiors’ eyes, the Hellmouth is overrun with demons. But we’ve created a community that works. The Hellmouth is under control and everyone here is productive. Now why would you want to destroy all that?”

Riley had so many questions, but the first to leave his mouth was about the chip. “So Spike is essentially unchipped and yet you stayed with him, and your child?”

Her response was to point across the room at her spouse and their son. Spike was on his belly, making engine noises and driving a toy car across Chris’ belly.

“His territory is being threatened by the greatest military force on earth; his people are awaiting his instructions, and what do you see? He’s calmly playing on the floor with his son, while his two oldest children are locked in a classroom until the emergency passes. Not quite the Spike you know, is it?”

Riley had to admit it wasn’t. “But why are you here? Living underground with them? The city is still functioning and intact.”

“Newsflash, Riley. My husband is a vampire and I’m the Slayer, which doesn’t exactly make me human. We’ve found out that the source of my power is demonic in nature, but more than that, everyone here has made me feel welcome. I’m not a freak among them.”

“But they’re demons, Buffy! Doesn’t it make your skin itch anymore? Isn’t your instinct to kill them?”

“Spike helped me realize that it’s not black and white issue, Riley. None of the demons here has ever harmed a human, even though some were harmed by humans, including the Initiative.”

“Are you really happy here, Buffy?”

“Yes, I am. I have the man I love, three wonderful children, and many friends. And no, I don’t spend all my time down here. I take the kids to see Dawn, who by the way is also here right now, and Willow and Giles. I go up to buy things I can’t get down here. But this is home. And if you continue with your mission you will be attempting to destroy my family, and many others.”

Spike stood up, scooped Chris into his arms, and joined them.

“Furthermore,” he added, “We will fight back. Have no doubt about that. And we will win.”

“Awfully sure of that, aren’t you Spike?” Riley taunted.

“Remember Finn, we have power you can’t imagine,” he said, echoing memories from a battle fought long ago. “But all of us, especially Buffy, are counting on you to make your superiors see that this is a battle they do not need to wage.”

“I can’t promise anything, but I will suggest that the mission be aborted.”

“Very well then,” said Spike. “Buffy will see you out.” He kissed his wife passionately and walked with Chris back to the adjoining control room to prepare his people for what may come.

Buffy walked him back towards topside. “Thank you for coming down here and listening. I know you’re probably on overload right now, but we really don’t want to fight you, and we needed you to see that this place isn’t dangerous.”

“I know, Buffy, but I’m not sure my superiors will see it that way. You know how the military is.”

“Yes, I do, and they’ve always lost in Sunnydale, haven’t they?” she replied.

They were nearing the corridor that would lead them to the outside door when a loud explosion sounded, the ground trembled, and smoke began poring in the hallway.

“What did they do?” she hissed at Riley.

“It sounds like a mortar. I must have been gone too long! They’re going ahead with the attack!

They covered their ears when 5 short bursts of the alarm sounded.

“They’re going to release the shilites! We have to get behind a blast door now!” she yelled, grabbing his arm and pulling him back the way they came. He resisted and broke her hold.

“I can’t! I have to get to my men and try and stop this!” They could hear the clatter of boots against the floor as the army breached their sanctuary.

“You’ll be affected, Riley! This thing will destroy you and any other being in the vicinity!”

“I can’t Buffy, I’ve got to try!” he said before running off to meet the incoming troops. She could hear him barking orders, but knew they would not be heeded.

Buffy turned and ran as fast as she could, wanted to hole up with Spike and Chris. Beth and James would be fine in their class, if not a bit scared. But they were safe. Spike wasn’t joking when he said they’d win.

She made it to the control room and the blast door was sealed shut. All over the compound residents were repeating the process, shutting themselves in tightly. When the console showed that all doors were sealed Spike began chanting in Latin, invoking the spell that would release the Shilites. Anyone with demon blood could feel the prickle of magic as their fail-safe took to the corridors.

Dawn and Cindy had been trolling the upper halls, making sure everyone was safe when the entrance was bombed and the ‘take cover’ alarm sounded. Cindy became disoriented in the smoke-filled corridor due to her enhanced senses and ran the wrong way, with Dawn in pursuit.

She could hear the soldiers running into their compound and then the tingle of magic as the spell was performed. With her sixth sense she saw the shadowy shapes take to the halls, the non-corporeal, black, mist which would steal their minds. Silently they glided through the air, waiting to find an active brain to rob of activity.

She put on a burst of speed and ran to catch up with Cindy, pulling her into an unused doorway and shutting them in just as the Shilites passed by. They put their hands over their ears as the anguished cries of the soldiers pierced the walls, and Dawn cried for the unnecessary loss of the lives of the young men given this ill-fated mission.

In the command center, Buffy amused Chris while Spike watched the vid screens. The ethereal beings surrounded and engulfed the soldiers in the halls, causing their victims to fall screaming to their knees, holding their heads as if to keep their brains inside.

When it was clear that all the soldiers had been incapacitated, Spike incanted the spell to return the Shilites back to their dimension. The ‘all safe’ alarm sounded and workers emerged from their hideouts to take the brain-dead young men back to their vehicles and fix the broken door. Spike’s assistant called the authorities. The soldiers would be taken to the nearest base and the military would be told that this misfortune would befall any who tried to attack again.

Buffy and Spike leaned against one another, welcoming into the embrace their two oldest children who had run to the command center once the all clear had been given.

“You okay, luv?” the vampire asked his mate.

“It’s sad, but you all are what’s important. They were warned, and chose to attack anyway. I just worry that they’ll never leave us alone now.”

“Then we’ll deal with it, same as we’ve always done,” Spike murmured, looking lovingly at his family. “We’ll do what it takes to keep us safe here, for always.”

“For always,” his family echoed.

Finis