Reunions Pt. 1

******************
(May 13, 2011)

Ring....Ring....Ring...

"Hello?"

"Vi, it's Giles. Where's Willow? I need to talk to her right away."

"Ha, morning to you too Giles" Vi said sleepily as she looked over blearily at the bedside clock. "You do know it's four in the morning don't you?"

"Hrump. Yes, I'm sorry Vi. Good morning" Giles said quickly. "Now, where's Willow? I need to talk to her right away and she's not answering her phone."

"Maybe that's because she just got to bed an hour ago" Vi said as she tried to force herself to wake up. "For the first time in two days."

"Vi, this is important" Giles said testily. "I need to speak to Willow. Now!"

"Okay, okay" Vi said quickly as she flipped back the covers and swung her legs out of bed. "Give me a minute or two to go wake her up will ya?"

****************

It was closer to five minutes before Willow was awake enough to take the cell phone Vi was holding in her hand. She sat on the edge of her bed and took the phone with a sense of dread spreading through her. Vi had told her that Giles seemed very upset and Willow was afraid of what might be so important. Vi was hovering at the doorway, where she had withdrawn to, as if she to were afraid to hear what the call was about.

"Hello, Giles?" Willow said hesitantly into the phone. *Goddess, please let Buffy be alright* were the only thoughts Willow could think coherently.

"Willow" Giles said quietly with a sense of tension that carried over the phone. "I need you and the girls to fly down to Los Angeles as soon as possible."

"Los Angeles?" Willow said as relief flooded through her *Buffy's okay. He's not calling about her. Buffy's okay!* followed by confusion. "Did you say Los Angeles?" *The Council hadn't sent a Slayer, much less an Action Team to Los Angeles in seven years, what's going on?*

"Yes Willow, Los Angeles" Giles said with an even stronger feeling of tension in his voice. "I'm sorry to have to ask you to do this, but your the only one within two thousand miles that I can trust to do what needs to be done."

"Do what Giles?" Willow asked as the sense of dread spread through her again.

"I'm sorry Willow. I'm probably not making a lot of sense to you right now, am I. Let me explain" Giles said in a slightly calmer voice. "Do you remember Clem, from back in Sunnydale? Fealock demon, lots of excess skin, harmless fellow, Buffy liked him?"

"Yeah, I remember Clem. What about him" Willow asked as she became confused again? *What in the world could Clem have to do with anything? He was probably the most harmless demon she had ever met, ever!*

"Well, right, on to it" Giles replied with a tone of distress and tension coming back into his voice. "It seems that Clem finally made it to the Hellmouth in Cleveland and met up with Faith and Robin. Robin remembered him and they apparently had a long conversation about the old days back in Sunnydale. During the conversation Clem mentioned something. Robin talked it over with Faith and they decided to pass it on to me, just in case."

When Giles failed to say more Willow became irritated. "Damn it Giles, will you spit it out. I'm to far away to read your mind."

"Yes, I'm sorry Willow" Giles said, the tension in his voice was screaming through the phone. "But you have to understand something first. This is 'Top Secret, Inner Circle' business. No one knows about it but Faith, Robin and myself, and, and Dawn. You can't tell anyone else what I'm about to tell you. Do you understand?"

Willow swallowed a lump in her throat that felt like a basketball. *What in the world was going on? Was it another apocalypse? That didn't make sense, an apocalypse wouldn't have Giles 'this' upset. Not after all the ones they'd been through over the years. Worried maybe, but not like this! And what did any of this have to do with Clem, or Los Angeles?*

"Okay Giles" Willow whispered nervously into the phone. "You've got me scared and you've got me worried. I understand, Top Secret. What about Vi, she's part of the Inner Circle, can I tell her?"

"No, not unless it's absolutely necessary" Giles replied quickly. "The fewer people who know the less chance of, of someone finding out about it before were certain."

Willows eyes widened and a few beads of sweat appeared on her forehead and upper lip. She put her hand over the mouth piece of the phone and looked over at Vi who was still standing just outside the doorway. "Ah, I'm sorry Vi" Willow said hesitantly, "but I have to ask you to close the door."

Vi looked at Willow with a big question mark in her eyes, in eight years she had never been asked to leave the room during a discussion that involved Slayer or Council business. But she didn't argue, from the look on Willow face she wasn't certain that she wanted to know what was going on this time. Vi closed the door to Willows bedroom and gave her the privacy she wanted.

"Alright Giles, I'm all alone now" Willow said quietly as she tried to control the nervousness she was feeling. "Now spit it out, I can't take much more of this cryptic shit from you right now."

"I'm sorry Willow, I didn't really mean to be cryptic or such, I really wouldn't be asking you to do this if there was anyone else that I could trust to do it, I would have sent Faith and Robin but they can't leave Cleveland right now and your the only other person who could do this that is close at hand, I'd do it myself but it would take me days and days to get clear of London and get to Los Angeles, and I ..."

"Giles, shut up, your babbling" Willow snapped into the phone. "Enough already, just tell me what I need to know and what you want me to do!"

Willow could hear Giles taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly. "Yes, your right, I need to explain." Giles voice was calmer now, but Willow could still hear the tension in his voice.

"While Clem was talking to Robin he mentioned and old friend of his that he had bumped into while he was staying in Seattle a year ago. The friend was a demon he knew from back in Sunnydale. The friend had been living in Los Angeles since the Hellmouth imploded seven years earlier and was telling Clem that he had only moved to Seattle because of all the hell that was going on in Los Angeles at that time and how it wasn't a safe place for a peace loving demon to live anymore." Giles paused in his narration and Willow heard him take another deep breath and let it out slowly.

"This is where things become important" Giles said with a quiver in his voice. "The friend told Clem that he thinks he saw another old friend from Sunnydale just before he left Los Angeles. The other old friend was involved in a big fight between humans and vampires. Clems friend wasn't sure which side the other old friend was fighting on, but since the other old friend was a vampire himself the friend assumed he was fighting for the other vampires. He told Clem that he didn't stay around to see who won the fight, he was leaving town anyway and didn't want to get involved."

When it hit Willow who this other old friend who was also a vampire might be, she gasped from the shock of it. *It couldn't be. He's dead. He's suppose to be dead! But, what if he came back again? Could he do that, again? And if it was him, where has he been all these years? Why hadn't he ever contacted them? What if Buffy finds out? Oh Goddess, Oh Goddess, Oh Goddess! What if Buffy finds out!!!*

"Giles, do you know what your saying?" Willow choked out. "If Buffy finds out she'll go crazy."

"I know Willow. That's why it has to be you that goes to Los Angeles to find out if the story is true" Giles said with so much pain in his voice that he could barely speak.

"But, but what am I suppose to do if it is true Giles" Willow asked plaintively.

"That's the reason for secrecy Willow. If it is him and he's lost his soul, your going to have to, to, to get rid of him" Giles gritted out between clenched teeth.

"What?" Willow shrieked into the phone not believing what she had just heard. "What the hell do you mean 'get rid of him' Giles? JUST WHAT THE FUCKING HELL DO YOU MEAN?" she screamed into the phone. Tears were streaming from her eyes and snot was running from her nose. Her throat felt constricted and she couldn't catch her breath. "What the hell ... do you think I am ... you fucking bastard?" she gasped out between sobbing breaths.

"Buffy's dearest and most loving friend" Giles choked out between his own sobs. "Willow, if Buffy even hears the rumor that he might be alive she'll be on the first plane she can get on. If it is him and he's lost his soul, she won't only go crazy, she'll kill herself, or let him kill her. You know she will."

Willow gasped for breath between sobs as she cried into the phone. She could hear the pain Giles was feeling as he cried into the phone on his end of the line. *Oh Goddess! Oh Goddess! Oh Goddess! What am I going to do? I don't think I can do it! I don't think I ‘could’ kill him! If Buffy ever found out she would hate me forever, if she didn't kill me first. I don't think I would even try to stop her. Oh Goddess, what am I going to do? Wait, the spell, the curse. I've done it before, twice. I could use the spell on him and force his soul back into him!*

"Giles, Giles, what about the curse, I could force his soul back into him" Willow gasped into the phone, trying to get herself under control again.

"I've thought of that too Willow. That's the second reason it has to be you to go to Los Angeles" Giles said as he tried to get his own shattered emotions under control. "But you know that it might not work on him. The curse was written as a punishment for Angelus, to make him suffer for all the innocents he had killed. It might not work on Spike."

*******************