Chapter One: Keeping a Resolution





Buffy was in the state of pure happiness—she couldn’t ask for a better way to celebration the New Year. She stood sipping her champagne dressed in a beautiful new red dress that she had gotten just for the occasion and surveying her friend’s party all around her. Deciding to come back from her winter break early to her little college town to see her friends was the best decision…especially since she was accompanied by her ravishing boyfriend, William.

At the moment William was lost in the party crowd of the roomy apartment leaving her with a few friends. When she eyed the clock she noted it was ten minutes till midnight.

‘He’s still got time...’ Buffy thought to herself, ‘There was no way he’d leave me with no kiss when the ball dropped.’

“So what’s your New Year’s resolution Summers?” one of Buffy’s friends drew her attention away from her task of searching through the tops of heads, looking for a certain bleached blonde.

When she turned to her friend Riley she merely shrugged, “I really don’t have one.” She said and took another sip from her glass.

“Just say what every girl says…’I want to lose weight.’” Another guy laughed as he mocked a girl’s voice.

“You saying I’m fat?” Buffy gave the boy a teasing accusing look.

“Uh…no…” his laughter faded and was left nothing left to say.

“I don’t do the whole ‘goal of the year’ thing…I’d rather have goals for life and stick with those…” Buffy explained to the two fellows.

“Thank you Miss America…” Riley announced with a laugh and drank his beer.

“Hey leave my girl alone…” the voice of a husky British accent interrupted the conservation.

Buffy turned around with a smile as she saw her boyfriend’s face. Riley and the other boy rolled there eyes as they saw the two lovebirds stare sweetly at one another. They started to walk away from the couple and set out on their own mission to find lips to kiss at midnight.

William came up and set her champagne glass down and then turned to kiss her, letting her arms slip around his neck and hold him close.

“Where’ve you been?” Buffy asked instantly after she broke away from his lips.

“Talking with Willow…boy that girl can really run your ear out…” William smiled, remembering the conservation he had with Buffy’s best friend.

Buffy glanced up at the clock and noted two five minutes till.

“Do you really not believe in New Year’s resolutions?” William asked with curiosity.

“Not really…” Buffy frowned, “No one I know ever keeps them…have you ever done it?”

“Welllll…I guess you can say I did last New Year…I set one goal for myself.” William admitted with a smirk.

“And you didn’t tell me last New Year’s?” Buffy pouted and stuck her lip out.

“Oh pouty…” he smiled and attacked her lips in a soft kiss.

“Oh come on tell me what it is…” Buffy whined when she broke away from the kiss.

“You really want to know?”

“Yes!” she bounced on her toes in frustration of the game he was playing with her.

“Alright, alright, alright…” he reassured his girl, causing her to stop pouting and smile in triumph. “Got to get that lip of yours to be put against the law love…alright…so my one and only new years resolution that I made last New Year…which technically is still part of this year hasn’t been accomplished yet.”

“See I told you no one ever sticks to them!” she interrupted to point out her opinion.

“Now hold your horses...” he hushed her and continued to tell her, “I’m not finished telling you what it was and why it wasn’t complete…” he said and then looked up at the clock, noting it was two minutes till midnight.

“My resolution was made the morning after that New Year’s Eve party we went to at Cordelia’s…we were sleeping at my old apartment and just before you woke up I decided…by the end of the year I would still be with you…”

Buffy gave a hundred watt smile to him as she still clung on to his neck.

“And…” he leaned in closer to her ear and whispered, “That I’d ask you to marry me…”

When William leaned back he saw Buffy’s shocked expression on her face. ‘Perfect.’ He thought to himself, he wanted her to be completely and totally taken off guard when he proposed.

“So pet…you see I did keep to my resolution…I asked you…the only way to make this year perfect is for you to accept…” he said as he shuffled through his pants pocket and pulled out the ring.

“Oh William…” she whispered as she eyed the beautifully cut diamond that had two sapphires on each side.

“Look the ball is dropping!” someone yelled and pointed to the television screen. Everyone’s attention of the party turned to watch the ball drop of the screen from Time Square…well everyone except for William and Buffy.

Buffy’s best friend, Willow, turned away from the TV for a couple of seconds to see William and Buffy clearly in their own little world standing next to the Christmas tree. She smiled when she remembered William telling her earlier that tonight was the night he would ask Buffy to marry him. And by looking to see the state of Buffy’s stunned face Willow guessed the bleach blonde had gone through with his proposal after all; not that she had doubts…everyone knew that man loved her to death.

“It’s beautiful…” Buffy muttered still staring at the ring.

‘Okay…this is good…she likes the ring…’ William thought to himself, ‘She just need to utter out a response and I can let go of this huge breath I’m holding.’

“But…” she paused.

William’s heart started pounding against his chest and his feet were starting to sweat…he was pretty sure that he was going to faint.

Then she looked up at him with a serious face that turned into a teasing smile, “You know I would have said yes ring or no ring…” she answered.

William blinked a few times, trying to overcome his sick feeling he was having when she thought she would say no. “Wait…did you just say….’yes.’?”

“Yes…” She said smiling and almost starting to laugh at his face expression.


“Ten…” the partiers started to count.

“Nine…”

“So are you going to stare into space or are you going to kiss your fiancée for the New Year?” Buffy whispered.

“Eight…”

“Seven…”

“Are you sure?” William asked.

“Six…”

“Five…”

“Yes!” she laughed out, “I’ve never been more sure…”

“Four…”

“Three…”

William smiled and leaned forward, “I love you. “ he whispered and kissed her as he grabbed her hand and slipped the ring on her finger himself.

“Two…”

“One…”

Everyone in the apartment exclaimed, “Happy New Year!” and threw streamers and confetti at one another. Most of the guests paired off and found someone to kiss for a brief few moments.

When the two newly engaged couples came up for air they seemed to be swaying to the song of ‘Auld Lang Syne’ a bit.

“What a way to bring in the New Year…” William muttered.

Buffy giggled and kissed his cheek, “Maybe I should start thinking of a New Year’s resolution since yours turned out to be so wonderful.”

“Maybe…but do you want hear my new one?” William asked.

Buffy nodded and then William leaned into her whispered into her ears for only her to hear. After he leaned back and told her Buffy grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the exit of the apartment. “Come on…my place is closer.” She said.


TBC...