Buffy drifts into wakefulness to the soft sounds of Dawn's voice. Quiet tales of plump, happy children and sunshine and love under a Roman sky spoken in a voice thick with sadness and grief..

*****

Straining again to breach the waves of darkness pulling at her. Another voice...Giles...he sounds broken, tired, old. Buffy would like to tell him "It's OK, Giles. I'm OK." But maybe later. After she has rested.

*****

Hard awake this time. Her old friend pain is with her again. She moves restlessly, but comfort is elusive. Dawn's voice again, soothing, speaking of happy times with mom, the beach, Mr. Gordo. Times when she was strong and well. Before the ravages of disease. She slips back into the dark.

*****

Was it always this hard to breathe? She tries to remember, but there seems to be nothing real beyond this room, this bed and the sound of her sister's voice. Dawn is no longer trying to disguise the tears. Buffy hears her sobs and whispers telling her that it is OK to let go. There is no need to fight anymore. "But there is, Dawn. I need to find what I lost." Buffy hears Dawn's swift intake of breath as she sinks back into the dark.

*****
No pain this time. A cool hand resting against her cheek. Buffy opens her eyes to see him standing next to her, tears in his eyes.

"Hello, love."

And she's finished.