Author's Chapter Notes:
Yes, I’m back with another story for you guys. I’ve been working hard on this one and I’m really proud of it so far. I guess I should say that this is pretty angst-filled, but I promise the Spuffy will definitely be worth it. As always, I have to thank the wonderful Brat and DrkDevin for their encouragement and quick read through of the story. I would be lost without them. I'll just say that the rating might change later on to NC-17, but overall I think I'll keep it at 15. Well, I hope you guys enjoy this one. Feel free to let me know what you think; I’ll take anything that I can get. I know it seems like something similar has probably been done before, but I like to try and be as different as I can. Also, I have to thank DrkDevin once again for my gorgeous banner=)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 1

She woke with a start at the sound of pounding on her bedroom door.

“Are you awake yet? Get your lazy self out of bed and come downstairs for breakfast,” the loud woman claimed, then marched away from the door.

Buffy Summers let out a sigh and got out of bed. Most kids were woken up from an alarm clock, but not her. She had to deal with being disturbed out of slumber by an obnoxious step-mother. She still didn’t know what her father saw in the woman, but didn’t care to think about her at the moment. She just got dressed and brushed her hair quickly, grabbing her backpack and heading for the door. Buffy stopped when she realized that she forgot something and reached under her pillow for her sketchbook, then made her way out of the room and down the stairs. She cringed when she saw her father and step-monster waiting for her at the table, making it seem like they were the perfect family, but that was so far from the truth.

“It’s about time that you decided to grace us with your presence,” Hank Summers said.

She mumbled an apology and sat down, figuring that it would be pointless to argue. He would never listen to her, anyway. Buffy only picked at her eggs and waited until it was time to go to school.


* * * * *


Buffy hated high school. Getting good grades was no problem; she could do that in her sleep. It was the people that she despised. She thought things would have been different for her since she moved to Sunnydale from Los Angeles. It was a new school and a new town, where no one knew her. It was a chance to start over, or so she thought. Buffy hoped that things would have changed and she wouldn’t get treated like a freak, but there was no such luck. It was her second year at Sunnydale High and she was still known as the freaky new kid. She didn’t have any friends and it was really lonely to always eat lunch by herself, but for some reason, no one wanted anything to do with her. That was the story of her life, after all.

She broke out of her depressing thoughts and walked to her locker, getting what she needed out of it. Buffy shut the locker door and then saw him in the distance. There was only one reason that made coming to school worth it and that was William Giles, also known as Spike to his friends. She didn’t know where that nickname came from, but it suited him. Buffy watched him as he chatted with a few of the cheerleaders; they had no problem basically draping themselves all over him. Spike was the most popular and richest guy in school. He could get anyone that he wanted. Buffy felt saddened when she saw him smile at a pretty blonde that wasn’t her. Sadly, she would never be the cause of one of his smiles. She liked him ever since she first arrived at the school, but he never knew that she existed. They had a few classes together and even sat by each other in one of them, but he never once looked her way or spoke to her. Buffy would have given anything for him to notice her, but that just wasn’t the case. She was destined to be alone and invisible for the rest of her life. With that miserable thought in mind, she headed to her first class of the day.


* * * * *


“Blondie Bear, are you even listening to me?”

Spike snapped out of his daze at the sound of Harmony Kendall’s whiny voice. He watched the girl that he was focused on walk away from her locker, then turned his attention back on the cheerleader. “Sorry, did you say something?”

“I was asking you to the homecoming dance. I think we could have a lot of fun together,” she said seductively, trailing a finger down his leather clad arm.

Spike moved away from her touch. “I don’t think that would be the best idea.”

She pouted. “Why not?”

Spike thought of something quick to say. “I probably won’t be going. That’s not really my thing. It’s not for another couple of months, anyway.”

“That is so not the point. You have to go, Spikey. You’re gonna be the Homecoming King.”

He rolled his eyes. “You don’t know that. I wasn’t the only one nominated.”

Harmony waved her hand in the air. “Please, those other losers have nothing on you. I’m nominated for Homecoming Queen. Wouldn’t it just be great if we both won? You so have to be there.”

Spike was getting annoyed and just wanted to be done with the conversation. “I’ll think about it, okay? I have to get to class now.” He then walked away from her, without bothering to wait for a response.


* * * * *


Buffy sat in her English class and stared at the back of Spike’s head, who was sitting in front of her. What she wouldn’t give to just reach out and touch his bleached hair. She knew that it would be soft, but didn’t dare try. She glanced down at her sketchpad and continued the drawing of him that she started earlier. Art was Buffy’s favorite subject. She loved to draw and felt that it was the only thing she was actually good at. She never showed her work to anyone, it was for her eyes only. Her book was almost full and most of it was sketches of Spike. He was always her inspiration and would never know. Buffy was suddenly distracted when Spike stretched that she dropped her pencil on the floor next to him. She silently cursed herself and went to retrieve it, but he got there first.

Spike reached for the fallen pencil and held it out to her. “I believe you dropped this.”

Buffy only nodded, finding that speech was very hard at the moment. That was the first time he ever really spoke to her. She just took the pencil out of his hand and gave a small smile. “Thanks,” she said, feeling her cheeks heat up and hoping that he didn’t notice.

Spike smiled in return. “Don’t mention it,” was all he said before turning back to face the front of the class.

Buffy felt her breath catch in her throat at the look that he gave her. She finally got one of his smiles.


* * * * *


Spike hurried out of the classroom once the bell rang. He needed to get far away from her. Buffy Summers could make a man go weak in the knees just from her smile. He developed a secret crush on Buffy since the first day that he saw her, but never really told anyone about it. They all thought of him as a ladies man, but she was the one girl that had the ability to make him nervous. He watched her from afar for over a year now and she had no idea. He couldn’t believe that he actually talked to her. She was different from the other chits in school. They were all a flock of sheep, not one of them made his heart skip a beat by smiling at him. Buffy was the only one that didn’t throw herself at him and he had to respect her for that. He figured that she wouldn’t be interested in someone like him, so he just continued to admire her at a distance. Maybe one day, she would see him differently.