Author's Chapter Notes:
It’s not starting the way the show did. It’s set farther in where Xander, Cordelia and Willow are all part on the gang minus Oz. (Nothing against him, just didn’t fit in with the story.)

I pushed the second slayer on Spike’s hot list back a decade (1970) by the way…it makes my story work better. Also just to get things straight: Angelus sired Drusilla a few months after Darla made him, and Drusilla sired Spike shortly after that. So Angelus, Drusilla and Spike were all sired in the same year.
Chapter 1: First Impressions

Spike watched the small blonde fight on the grounds below him. He stood confidently on the roof of a building, his black duster blowing as he dropped to a roof 10 feet lower. The girl took on two vamps at a time, in the small back alley. And she seemed to be winning…until, while she was fending off one, the other bigger one, wrapped an arm around her neck, putting her in a chokehold from behind.

Spike eyed the situation and made a quick decision. I’m not letting this one die. Not this one. He jumped down one more rooftop and prepared to jump down to the entrance of the alley.

The girl used the vampire’s arm to pull on as she lifted her feet up and kicked the other vampire sending him flying into the wall. She flipped the vamp holding her over her shoulder, and rammed a stake through his undead heart. Recovering, she noticed the other vampire lunge at her, and she extended her arm with the stake out, and dusted him before he had a chance to prevent it.

“Still as stupid as ever. You’re supposed to run away from the pointy wooden thing.” She joked to the big pile of dust.

Spike stopped in his tracks, shocked. She was losing not two seconds ago. Damn, this one was good. “Nevermind, then.” Spike said impressed.

The petite blonde felt a familiar tingle on the back of her neck that made the hairs there, rise. Another vampire? Jeez, they can never get enough can they? She thought to herself. She cautiously looked around her, and listened for any noise. Nothing. This was a stealthier one than the two she just fought.

“Okay.” She called out. “You don’t have to hide I know you’re there.” The girl sighed loudly when the vampire she knew was there didn’t reveal its self. “Look, I don’t really have a lot of time…so if we could just get you all staked and out of the way, that would be great.” She said with a confident tone.

She whipped around to look at the entrance of the alley when she heard a whoosh in that direction. To her disappointment, it was empty. Lowering her stake, and turned to go back down the exit of the alley to take the shortcut home. The blonde let out a loud gasp when the vampire she felt was standing right behind her, small smirk in place on his face at her reaction.

“I could have killed you in a second, Goldilocks. You outta keep you’re guard up at all times…even when you can’t see them.” Spike’s smirk faded as he spoke, showing her that he was serious, and not trying to piss her off. Apparently that didn’t work.

“And who-exactly-are you to give me tips on how to fight?” She placed her hands on her hips, and gave him a look that just oozed ‘attitude’.

“Someone you’re gunna wanna know.” Spike replied, wanting to get right to business.

The girl chuckled to herself, before cocking back her hand to punch him square in the nose. But Spike was too quick. He caught her fist in his large hand, and twisted slightly, not to hurt her, but just enough to put her in an uncomfortable position.

“I’m not like the poor blokes that winded up a pile of dust over there.” Spike stated jerking his head to where he noticed the ashes. “Sometimes I wish I was.” Spike said in a hushed tone more to himself than the girl in front of him.

“Well, you’re in luck, cause I know I can grant that wish.” She spoke with a sweet smile that contradicted the intentions behind her words. She raised the hand with the stake, ready to strike him in the chest, but again, he was too quick. He caught her by the wrist, and held both her wrists in a deadly grip.

She had to admit, the position she was in was very uncomfortable, and brought her very close to the bleach blonde vampire. His right hand held her left wrist, and his left hand held her right wrist, locking her arms crossed. For a second she had a moment of fear. He’s gonna kill me…I’m gunna die in an alley, and no one will ever know. Oh God.

Spike leaned forward, his mouth right by her ear. The girl closed her eyes, waiting for the bite she knew would come…but it didn’t. Instead were words. “Listen, I’m here to help. I’m not going to hurt you.” His voice was calm and soft, telling her that it was okay. Spike shot back from her, letting go of her wrists as if she burnt him. He could hear her heart pumping away, enticing his demon to suck her dry. You ‘member what Slayer blood tastes like, Spikey? No…you don’t cause it’s been too damn long! Drink the bloody bint and be done with it! His demon shouted out to him. He shook it off, and looked at the blonde who now had wide eyes, and breathing like she hadn’t done so for hours.

“H-how do I know I can trust you?” She stuttered nervously. The girl, for the first time since he saw her, looked scared. Weak…vulnerable even. He stepped forward and she stepped back. All of a sudden her demeanor changed. She crossed her arms over her chest. “You’re a vampire…I’ve learned: you can’t really trust undead killers.” She spoke coldly.

“I’m not like other vampires.” Spike said flatly.

“Huh! If I had a dollar for every time I heard that one I’d have…a dollar.” She took a moment to think that one over and realized, not one vampire has ever told her that before.

Spike ignored her comment and continued on. “You don’t have to trust me, Buffy…I just want you to know that-”

“Whoa! How do you know my name? I didn’t tell you my name.” Buffy gave him a skeptical look, not really knowing what to think.

“It’s part of why I’m here. I know who you are, and I wanna help.”

This guy actually seems sincere. Buffy thought. Maybe he is…my god this guy is hot. Hot vampire…who knew? Buffy pulled herself out of her own thoughts. “Okay-vampire-who-wants-to-help-fight-evil…” she said, trying to show him just how ridiculous it sounded out loud. “You gotta name?”

“Spike.”

“That’s a name?” She asked incredulously, her face full of disbelief.

“Is Buffy?” Spike retorted quickly. He reached into the pocket of his duster, and pulled out a pack of smokes and a lighter.

Buffy sighed loudly, choosing not to respond to the dis of her name. “So what, you’re a ‘good vampire’?” She asked on a laugh.

Spike closed his Zippo, after he lit his smoke. Taking a long puff of the cigarette, he looked at her with a raised brow, and tensed jaw.

“Oh, you are.” Buffy stopped laughing. “Okay, my bad. So…how’s that workin out for ya?” She asked, in a nervously cheerful voice.

Spike gave her a look that clearly said ‘What the hell kinda crack are you on?’ Buffy dropped the acted. “Sorry, I’m really bad at small talk. You wanna tell me how that happened? I mean the last time I checked, vampires are all ‘grr’.” She said in a cheerful tone, accompanied with her hands to make ‘claws’. When Spike looked down and flicked the ash on the smoke, she squeezed her eyes closed and smacked her palm to her forehead twice, preparing to do it for a third time, when he looked back up. She not so discretely slipped her hand behind her head, scratched the nape of her neck, and smile sweetly.

“Long story, really. Short of it is: I have a soul…and I’ve been fighting vamps, and anything else of the big, slimy and ugly variety ever since I got it.” He put out his smoke and leaned up against the wall on the alley. Buffy followed and leaned on her side up against the brick wall facing him.

“Have you done this with the other Slayers?” Buffy didn’t know why, but she felt safe around Spike. And she trusted him, no matter how much she told herself she shouldn’t.

“Yeah, a few.” Spike glanced over at her, and then bowed his head. Buffy noticed the sadness that came over his face. “But none made it very far. But you…you got some talent, girl.” The surprised tone of his voice made her smile like the schoolgirl she was. “I was about to jump in when I saw Sir. Sucks-a-lot grab you from behind.” Buffy had to giggle at the name Spike gave the vampire. She’s only known him five minutes and she was starting to rub off on him. “But nope. You had it all under control. You know for a tiny little thing you really know how to haul ass.” Spike complimented with a smile.

“Yeah, well…it all comes with the Slayer package. Along with speed, determination, and snappy yet witty comebacks.” She counted on her fingers. The two shared a laugh. “Wait-you were watching the fight? I’d say that was really stalker-ish, but for a vamp that’s pretty normal.” Buffy pulled her hair all to one side of her shoulder, and absent-mindedly started playing with the ends on the golden strands. It was a habit she had when she noticed a hot guy. She knew that Spike wasn’t just ‘a hot guy’. He was a hot vampire guy. Hot and sexy. Her mind corrected.

Spike noticed when she bared her neck. Her neck that was just pulsating and waiting to be bitten. So soft...so sweet. So wrong! Is she tryin to kill me?! Again, Spike shook himself out of his stupor, and turned his gaze away from the supple neck.

“Well…don’t get too freaked out if you feel that little tingle. It’s just me.” He said in a sultry voice, and a smirk. Spike stood up and Buffy stood up with him sensing that he was about to leave. “Well…you have places to be so, I’ll let you get to that.” He smiled at her as he started walking backwards slowly to one of the exits of the back alley.

“What-oh that! I was just going to go to the Bronze with some friends…you can come if you want, I don’t mind.” Buffy really didn’t want Spike to leave. He was nice, and she could talk to him about vampires and the whole demon world without worrying he would tell her whole school she was a freak.

“Naw…another time. Promise.” He winked and gave her a half smile that made her knees weak. “See you around, Summers.” Buffy watched as his figure melted into the darkness, and she sighed dreamily. And I can’t wait to see you.

A/N: Sooo what do you think??? please review and let me know...i'll give you cookies...they're chocolate chip!