Author's Chapter Notes:
This story is categorized as 'General' but it will be NC-17 later on. It doesn't revolve around it however.

Disclaimer: The only characters that belong to me are Kate and any other one I may come up with on a whim. I do *not* own BTVS or any of it's characters, or anything involving it. So basically dont sue me, this is just for entertainment.
Prologue

There have been many different words used to describe me –selfish, cold, pig-headed, stubborn– and my ex-wife’s favorite, misogynistic. Now personally, I think she’s wrong. The definition of misogynistic, directly quoted from the dictionary is “characterized by a hatred of women”. I however do not hate woman, quite the opposite actually. I think they’re bloody fantastic, I love woman…which in all likeness is probably the reason my ex-wife left me in the first place. Can’t rightly say I blame her.

When I married Cordelia I had this great idea of the newlywed life and of how much I’d always love her and how perfect it was going to be. Not the bloody case was it? For one, now that I look back on it I realize that I never loved Cordy, it was the idea of the perfect life that I loved. I envisioned it to be like my parents marriage which was seemingly perfect in everyway until my mom, Anne, died. Their marriage was ideal, the kind of love that they had was something I’d gladly give up my womanizing days for. So I guess when I asked Cordelia to marry me I had by that pointed made myself delusional to the real state of things and how much we actually did bicker and argue, more like siblings then lovers really.

By this point I’ve gotten so comfortable with my lifestyle, that I really could care less if I ever find ‘the one’, the thought almost makes me laugh. So as far as I’m concerned this is how my life is going to be until the I’m old and rich and have my telly and good ol’ Jack to keep me company. Did I mention I’m a bastard corporate lawyer?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

William ‘Spike’ Giles made his way through the 15th floor offices occasionally exchanging a few words with the men and smiling charmingly at the woman. Because William Giles didn’t leer, he charmed the woman in and out of his bed. The woman in his office were off limits however, at least on his floor. Couldn’t afford any sexual harassment charges from any woman he may not feel inclined to call back, he was one of the most prominent lawyers the Wolfram & Hart had. How would that look on his record?

“Wesley, where are the project files for the current…”

The files were handed over before he could finish the sentence and he patted the other man on the shoulder, genuine grin on his face. “Good man, that’s why I like you Wes, always ahead of the game.”

“And here I thought it was because of my ability to keep up with the bull you spout.” He replayed keeping up with the quick strides.

“Ah, that would put you in the same category as my ex.”

“Phone call for you Mr. Giles. Line one.”

He slapped Wesley on the shoulder one last time and nodded a quick affirmative to his secretary before proceeding into his office.

Sitting down in his cushioned black chair he looked out at his office. God he loved this job. He had the best office on the floor, spacious and lavishly decked out as he wished. One side was designated for awards and recognitions; the other held a large leather couch. Spinning the chair around he looked out the wall sized window. The view was a bonus.

Picking up the phone he pressed the line one button and prepared his business persona. “William Giles speaking.”

***
The music blared from the cars speakers, Spike tapping along to the beat, occasionally singing the lyrics. It was his form of stress relief, well, besides the more adult kind. The car turned into the driveway and Spike turned it off, putting his sunglasses into place and grabbing his suitcase.

The life of William Giles did not hold many surprises. He was a simple man, he woke up in the morning, went to work and spent some time with his friends on the weekends. The woman didn’t some as surprises, they came expected. So when he reached the front door that he locked everyday after leaving the house, only to have it very unlocked, he was confused as hell.

Twisting the handle he slowly walked in, half expecting to be jumped by some big guy, or find his house cleaned out.

“Hi Will.”

He turned sharply in the direction of the living room. Sitting on the couch, feet kicked up onto the coffee table and flipping through the channels on his big screen television was his only niece.
_______________________________________

A/N: Like it so far? Please comment. Also I don't believe prologue's or epiloue's count with the regular 1000 word per chapter rule (or it didn't used to). So since this is I'll just add a song that II was listening to while I was writing the car part. Besides the admin has way to many problems to deal with nevermind somehow changing the formattng of the site to fit this one thing. Well, onceagain, hope you like it so far. :)

Seether - Truth

If I gave you the truth, would it keep you alive?
Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right
And now I'm convinced on the inside that something's wrong with me
Convinced on the inside, you're so much more than me, yeah
No there's nothing you say that can salvage the lie
But I'm trying to keep my intentions disguised
And now I'm deprived of my conscience and something's got to give
Deprived of my conscience
This all belongs to me, yeah

I'm beaten down again, I belong to them
Beaten down again, I've failed you
I'm weaker now my friend, I belong to them
Beaten down again, I've failed you

The deception you show is your own parasite
Just a word of advice you can heed if you like
And now I'm convinced on the inside that something's wrong with me
Convincd on the inside you're so much more than me, yeah
I'm beaten down