Author's Chapter Notes:
That's right. It's a high school fic. I simply couldn't help myself-I just love the idea of shy William and spunky Buffy. This will definitely be a bit lighter then some of my more traditional Spuffy-they have way less baggage. That said, while at times it will be quite fluffy, there will be a plot and thus a touch of angst. Think: romantic comedy. This has been pretty well-received at the other archive I post at, so I hope you all like it too. ) Don't forget to review and let me know!!!



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Buffy cringed as she watched the Frisbee veer far right of its intended trajectory and squealed as it slammed into the reading man.



“Oh my god!” She ran over. “I’m so sorry. Are you…are you okay?” Buffy bit her lip and watched as the man removed his now bent glasses and rubbed his temple. When she got close she dropped to her knees and realized that the man in question was actually the new kid she’d noticed earlier that week at school. Who dresses like that to hang out at the park, she thought before quickly refocusing to see if he was hurt. “I’m sooo sorry” she repeated, “I seriously shouldn’t be allowed near a Frisbee.”



William looked up and blinked at her for a moment before answering. “Its…I’m...that is…its quite all right, just an accident, no cause for…uh… concern.” He continued to rub the side of his face.



“Oh but your hurt!” Buffy gestured towards his face for a second before reaching over and pulling his hand away. She cringed again, noticing the already red mark above the pale boy’s cheek. “You need ice. Ooh.” She jumped up. “Hold on one sec.” She ordered before running off.



William watched her run off with his mouth open in shock. He knew who she was and knew that the rules of the universe certainly dictated that she never look at him twice, much less worry this much over whether or not he was hurt. He’d spotted her his first day. Hell, he remembered, he hadn’t even made it to his first class before he’d seen her. He’d immediately asked Xander, the boy who’d been given the task of showing him around, who she was. Xander had laughed, shook his head and told him in no uncertain terms that she was out of his league. Well he knew that, he thought with a frown, he’d long since figured out that girls saw nothing of interest in him. Still, he’d been entranced upon site and begged his guide for more information. Xander had shrugged and filled him in. Her name was Buffy Summers, she was a cheerleader and she dated a football player with the unlikely name of Angel. Also she had the kind of smile that lit up a room. Xander hadn’t told him that; that he’d seen for himself. When Xander caught him starring at her again during lunch he’d once again laughed, but he’d then told William that at least Buffy was nice. “Most of the girls at that table wouldn’t even notice if you spoke to them; Buffy will at least say hi.” he’d told him.



William had paled. “Talk to her…I…I couldn’t…I wasn’t…”



Xander had chuckled and patted him on the back. “It’s cool. You’re going for the whole worshiping from afar gig. Got it. Probably safer, though we may have to work on being a tad less obvious; Angel is a big dude.”



Buffy appeared in front of him again and thrust something cold into his hand. He looked down, saw the ice cream sandwich and looked back at her quizzically.



“Cold, for your head. The ice cream truck didn’t have ice.” She shrugged and gave him a big smile. “But this is cooler anyway ‘cause now you have first aid and a snack.” She gestured towards his temple. “Go on you don’t want it to get all swollen.”



Placing the ice cream sandwich against the side of his head, he gave her a small smile. “Thank you, that’s umm…this is very considerate.” He was having an even harder time talking than normal. She glows, he thought, like the sun. Her presence alone made him feel warm. Realizing that he was no doubt starring he quickly looked down at the grass.



“It’s my fault; the least I can do is make sure I didn’t give you a concussion or something.”



“Oh no.” He looked up at her. “I’m quite… fine. I’m hard, that is to say I have a hard head…my…” He blushed a dark pink then, a look of terror washing across his face before he looked away.



Buffy smiled. Boy this guy is wound tight, she thought. She wasn’t sure she’d ever spoken with someone who was this clearly uncomfortable. The blushing however, she decided, was quite cute. In fact, she was thinking that up close he wasn’t a bad looking guy; he was pale, but he had nice features and really pretty eyes. Too bad he had to wear those glasses. The accent was pretty cute too. British, she thought.



“Buff…are you done here yet? We’re all ready to head.”



She was startled away from her observations by Cordelia’s plainly annoyed tone. She looked up to see the other girl watching her with an arched brow and a hand on her hip. Patience, she knew, was not one of Cordy’s strengths. “I’d better wait I …” She gestured towards the boy realizing that she didn’t know his name.



“He seems fine Buffy; it was just a Frisbee.” She turned to William. “You’re fine right?” She demanded.



He nodded.



Buffy shook her head. “Cordy be nice. He’s hurt and…” She paused and looked back towards the rather surprised looking boy. “I’d better stay. I can catch up with you later. ‘Kay?”



Cordelia sighed and shook her head. “Whatever. Your loss though ‘cause we’re all headed to the beach.” She turned and headed towards the parking lot.



“You don’t have to stay. Really I’m…”



“Don’t be silly; I broke your glasses. Which I’ll totally pay to have fixed by the way, but how will you get home?”



“What?” William looked confused.



“Without your glasses.” She explained.



“Oh…but…I can…that is…” He took a deep breathe. “They’re only for reading, I can see fine to walk home.”



“But I’ve seen you at school; you wear them all the time.” She paused. “I have seen you at school right? You go to Sunnydale.”



He nodded, surprised that she had even noticed him. “I…I just transferred last week.”



Buffy smiled. “Cool. What’s your name?”



“William Pratt”



“William huh, are you a like Billy or a Will?” She shrugged.



“Just William”



“Okay Just William, welcome to Sunnydale.” She thrust out her hand. “I’m Buffy.”



“I know.” He shook her hand lightly and reddened. “That is I’ve seen you at school…you’re a umm... you’re a cheerleader.”



She nodded and frowned slightly. “So can I ask you a question William?” At his nod she continued. “If you only need them for reading, why are you always wearing the glasses?”



William was so overwhelmed by the sound of his name in her voice that he almost missed the questioned entirely. “What? Oh…I don’t know. I read a lot I guess so…” He gestured to the book he had been reading.



She shrugged and couldn't help thinking again that it was a shame “Can I ask you another?”



He nodded and smiled. “Of course.” He was now quite certain that this was the longest conversation he’d ever had with a girl.



“Aren’t you like… hot?”



“Pardon?”



“The clothes. Do your folks make you wear that?”



He looked down at his attire. He hadn’t really thought about, he supposed the blazer was a bit heavy for the sunny afternoon. Turning back, he noted Buffy’s shorts and tee. He shrugged. “No. I … I just didn’t think about it. It was the uniform at my school before; just habit I suppose.”



Buffy looked mildly appalled. “You had to wear a uniform?”



He laughed softly. She’d asked as though she could hardly imagine a worse fate. “Wasn’t so bad really; I probably wouldn’t choose well anyway.” He shrugged.



Buffy smiled brightly. “Maybe I could help? I’m kind of a clothes expert.” Hmm, she thought, probably a lot of blue to bring out those pretty eyes. She shook herself. What are you doing thinking about his eyes? You love Angel’s eyes; he’s your boyfriend.She considered for a moment before she decided that she was just being friendly. He’s new and looks like he could use a friend, sher thought, I’m being nice, that’s all.



William gaped at her. “You want to help me pick out clothes?” He asked incredulously.



“Sure, we can go to the mall and get your glasses fixed and look at some stuff.” She gave him a big grin. “Ooh we could do like a California makeover.”



“Pardon?”



“Your new here right? I mean not just the school but like the whole country right?”



He nodded slowly.



“So it would totally be a great time for a makeover. You know to help you fit in here in the good old U.S of A.” He looked skeptical, she thought. Actually, she decided, he looked terrified. She giggled. “How’s your head?”



“What?”



“Where I hit you with the Frisbee?”



“Oh.” He lowered the hand holding the ice cream sandwich. “It’s fine. I’m…fine.”



Buffy leaned over slightly and took a closer look. “See ice helps. It’s almost not swollen at all now.” She smiled. “So what do you say?”



“What do I…” He trailed off tilting his head to the side slightly and giving her a confused glance.



“About the mall? Are you free? Are you going to let me make amends for almost beheading you earlier?”



William was stunned. She was looking at him hopefully. Did she actually want to spend time with him? Certainly she was just being nice, he decided. “I guess. If…if you’re sure. I don’t…that is… it’s not necessary.” She giggled again. He decided that he loved that sound above all others.



“Is that a yes?”



He shrugged and nodded. “Yes.” He said more firmly before admitting “My Mum gave me a credit card last week. Actually, she suggested I might pick up some new attire.” He gave her a wry grin.



Buffy’s eyes flashed with excitement. There is nothing quite as fun as shopping with someone else’s credit card she decided with a grin. “Perfect.” She bounced to her feet and held her hand out to help him up as well. “Can you drive? Cause Buffy and cars are non-mixy things.”



William starred at her hand for a moment, realizing that she meant for him to take it. He did so slowly, embarrassed by his excitement over the innocent touch. She quickly gave him a firm tug. “I can…drive that is, we can take my car. I live a few blocks from here; it’s a short walk.”