Ages 5, 4

“Say hello to your new neighbors, Elizabeth.”

Buffy peered shyly around her mother’s leg, taking in the sight of the man and boy in front of her. The boy, a year older than her, grinned at her and took a step forward.

“’Ello ‘Lizbeth. My name’s William.”

Against her will, Buffy giggled, then blushed. “You talk funny, Will-yum.”

He pouted at her. “Nu-uh!”

She grinned back at him, becoming more confident. “Yu-huh! And don’ call me ‘Lizbeth. My name’s Buffy!”

He giggled at her now. “Buffy? What kindsa name is Buffy?”

Buffy mock-glared at him, and he laughed again before suddenly dashing forward and slapping her shoulder, then racing off. “You’re It!”

Buffy let out a squeal and raced after him, leaving their parents to gaze fondly after them.


Ages 7, 6

William groaned, dunking his head in the water. “I can’t get it out!” he whispered to Buffy, who was being no help at all, just giggling. His hair was stuck above his head in unruly spikes, practically glued there by the various hair gels they’d been fooling around with.

Buffy tried to be serious and quiet so that the babysitter downstairs wouldn’t hear them, but collapsed in giggles again at the sight of William trying to brush his hair down and breaking one of the comb’s teeth.

“I like it, all up there in spikes. Ha, you’re going to be Mr. Spike now, ‘cause everyone will be staring at your head!”


Ages 8, 7

Spike grabbed Buffy’s hand and dragged her into the water despite her protests.

“I told you I’d teach you to swim and I’m bloody well going to!”

Buffy wriggled, trying to pull out of his grip. “No! It’s cold, stop! Ahhh!”

She screamed when Spike dunked her in the water and popped up, gasping. He grinned at her, then grabbed her arm again. “Okay, I’ll teach you how to float. Just lay back.”

Buffy bit her lip nervously, but eventually relaxed, laying back in the water with his arms holding her up.

“See?” Spike told her, “You can do it. Don’t worry, I’ve got you.”


Ages 11, 10

Buffy sobbed into Spike’s arms. “He’s gone Spike. I went inside to get a drink, and when I came back out he was gone.”

He rubbed her back. “Hey relax, you’re better off without the monster anyway. Besides, I bet he’ll come back. Stupid poofy thing can’t stay away from you forever.”

Buffy just glared at him. “I know you don’t like Angel, but you could at least pretend to care!”

She pulled away and ran up the stairs to her room, slamming and locking the door.


The next morning, when Buffy woke up, Angel was cuddled up in bed with her as usual. She let out a scream of joy and hugged him tightly, before gently setting the cat on her bed and hurrying to get dressed.

All day at school, she waited excitedly to be let out so that she could meet Spike and tell him the news.

Knocking on his door, she was surprised to see his father, Mr. Giles. “Hello Mr. Giles, where’s Spike?”

He smiled at her. “I’m afraid you can’t visit him today.” At her crestfallen expression, he leaned forward and added conspiratorially, “I think he snuck out last night. He has a very nasty cold, and scratches all over – his arms, front, everywhere. And something bit his hand, though he won’t tell me anything. I’m going to have to get him several shots.”

Buffy’s eyes went wide, and she stared at Giles. “Oh my gosh.”

He frowned, “What is it, Buffy?”

Buffy blinked at him, then smiled nervously. “Nothing. Just, can you tell him I hope he gets better soon, and… tell him thanks so much, okay?”

She ran off to her house before Giles could ask her what she meant.


Ages 13, 12

Buffy screamed as she watched Spike fall, and ran forward, dropping Angel to the ground with a hiss and a thump. Reaching Spike, she bent over him. “Oh my god Spike, are you okay?”

He just groaned, uncontrollable tears sliding down his face as he clutched his leg. “Get… Da…”

Buffy leapt to her feet and ran around him to his back door, yanking at it and sobbing when it was locked. Pounding heavily on the door until Giles opened it, she cried, “Mr. Giles, you have to come, Spike fell out of the apple tree, and he’s crying and his leg is all bent weird!”

His face paled and he ran out of the door after her, following her until he saw his son sprawled out on the grass. Bending down to his knees next to Spike, he snapped at Buffy, “Go inside your house and call 911. Hurry!”

Spike spent most of the school year in a wheelchair or crutches. He joked that it was all Buffy’s fault for startling him, but stopped when he realized she really believed that. Then he took to saying it was all because of Angel.


Ages 14, 13

Buffy’s lip wobbled, but she refused to cry. “You’re really leaving?”
Spike ducked his head sadly and nodded, “To England, to live with my Mum.”

Buffy grabbed his arm. “But, you’ll come back, right?”

He bit his lip. “Honestly, I dunno.”

Buffy opened her mouth to say something, but closed it the next moment and reached out, pulling him close to her in a hug.


Two weeks later, he came over for the last time, to say goodbye. Buffy hugged him again then pulled back, tears shining in her eyes. Spike blinked, rubbing at his own tear-filled eyes, before telling her softly, “You’re still my best friend. Nothing’s gonna change.”

She smiled tremblingly at him, and slowly nodded. “Yeah… nothing’s changing.” Reaching out and putting a hand on each side of his face, she whispered, “Except for this.”

Bending forward and closing her eyes, she kissed him softly, letting three years of crushing on him and possibly more show as their lips met. She cheered inside when she realized that he was kissing her back.

She pulled away and gave him one last hug, before dashing inside and running up to her bedroom.

Spike stared after her, one hand slowly reaching up to touch his mouth. Then his father yelled from the car and he turned to leave.


Present Day: Ages 17, 16

Buffy groaned, letting her head slump to the table in front of her. Her best friend Willow sat down next to her and smiled, “So, how were your tests?”

Buffy moaned, her head still on the cafeteria table, and Willow giggled. “Relax, I’m sure you did fine. We studied a lot last night, remember?”

Buffy lifted her head up and nodded, “Yeah, I guess so. It was just so boring! And then there was Riley sitting right in front of me, being all… Riley-ish.”

Willow sighed, “Poor Buffy. You really need to find someone to take your mind off Riley. He’s not worth your time.”

Buffy sighed, “Yeah, I know. It’s just hard, that’s all. Especially when I remind myself I never really loved him. It shouldn’t hurt this much, but he’s just another guy who left me, you know?”

Willow patted her on the arm and opened her mouth to say something, but was cut off by a small group of people walking up to their table to join them. “Hey Wills, Buffster, whatcha doing?” Xander asked, sitting down across the table from them. His girlfriend Anya joined him, and Willow’s boyfriend Oz sat next to her.

Buffy glanced around the table. “See? I know Riley wasn’t worth my time, but I always feel like some kind of fifth wheel or something, you know?”

Anya nodded, “You are. You should fix that. There is a new guy.”

Buffy glanced up from her food. “New guy?”

Anya smiled, “Yeah, apparently this new guy is here from England or something. English people have sexy accents.”

Buffy’s smile faded. “I don’t like English guys.”

Xander rolled his eyes, “Come on Buffy, this guy’s been gone for like five years. Get over it already.”

Buffy shot him a glare. “Three years Xander, and he was also my best friend for nine years before that!”

She got up from the table and stormed off.


Spike made his first priority upon arriving in Sunnydale to find Buffy. She hadn’t moved, or at least he didn’t think so, but he didn’t want to wait until he got home to find out. Once he got out of the office, he asked his guide about Buffy and was pointed to a spot in the cafeteria.

Spike was disappointed to see that she wasn’t at ‘her table’ in the cafeteria; at least, not unless she’d become a candid-looking blonde or a fashion-challenged redhead, which he doubted.

Still, he approached the table. As one, the group turned to look at him, and Spike shoved his hands into his duster pockets. “Hey… do any of you know where Buffy Summers is?”

When they continued to stare at him silently, he added, “She used to know me, a couple years ago…”

The redhead’s eyes lit up and she gasped. “Are you Spike?”

The boy across from her snorted, “Yeah right. I keep on telling you guys, he’s across the world, okay? Stop talking about him.”

Spike frowned, and crossed his arms. “Yeah, actually, I am Spike.”

The redhead gasped, and the boy did a double-take, while the blonde smirked and jabbed her boyfriend. The redhead’s boyfriend looked unsurprised.

Spike sighed. “Look, d’you know where she is or not?”

The redhead bounced excitedly on her seat as she answered him. “Oh, she was just here, but she left. She’s probably in the bathroom. Oh, oh, my name’s Willow, I’m Buffy’s best friend.” Willow’s eyes widened. “N-not that you’re not, just I’m her new best friend and you’re her old best friend – not that you’re old either, but –“

Her boyfriend smiled at her, putting a hand on her shoulder, and she stopped talking. “Oh, sorry, I was babbling.”

Spike arched a brow. “Caught that… Nice to meet you, Willow.”

“And this is Xander, Anya, and my boyfriend, Oz.”

Spike lifted a hand lazily. “Pleasure all. Where’d you say Buffy was?”


Buffy stormed out of the bathroom, running straight into Willow and Anya, who quickly shoved her back in again.

“What are you guys doing – hey, let go!” she exclaimed as they pulled her over to the mirrors. Willow shushed her.

“Okay, listen. You know why you ran off? Well, he’s in the cafeteria!”

Buffy frowned. “Xander? What are you talking about?”

Anya rolled her eyes and took over. “This Spike guy is over at the table asking about you, and he’s very attractive.”

Buffy paled. “You mean… Spike’s… My Spike, I mean, looking for me? He’s here?”

Willow nodded. “We left him with the guys.”

Buffy’s face lit up in a gigantic smile, and she began frantically unloading her purse. “Oh my god, help me with my hair!”


Spike pulled his duster out and sat down in his own chair, propping his feet up on the table. Leaning back comfortably, he took a Zippo out of his pocket and began flicking it, so that the flame lit and then went out.

After a few minutes, he suddenly stopped and his eyes shot up to study the two other boys. His cerulean eyes focused on each with startling and intimidating intensity.

“So,” he said, finally pocketing the lighter, “Buffy’s told you all about me?”

Xander shot him a quick, hostile glance. “What makes you think that?”

Spike smirked, “The way Red took one look at me and said my name. Unless she’s telepathic, I think you’ve all heard about me before.”

Xander opened his mouth, then shut it. “Well. Yeah. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to tell you why, or anything.”

Spike’s smirk widened. “Sure thing.”

Xander eyed him suspiciously, then his gaze returned to his plate. He muttered something under his breath, which Spike and Oz both heard nevertheless. “Thought you were supposed to be a nerd.”

Spike snorted out laughter. “Jus’ cause I’m smart doesn’t mean I can’t have my own personality mate.”

Xander blushed at having been heard, but didn’t answer.

Oz took the opportunity to speak. “Band?”

Spike glanced at him, uncomprehending for a moment, then nodded, “Yeah, guitar and vocals.”

Oz nodded thoughtfully. “Wanna jam?”

Spike’s eyebrows rose and a slight smile spread over his face. “Why not.”


Just then, Buffy entered the cafeteria. Spike’s back was turned to her, and she didn’t recognize him until she was close. Her mouth opening in surprise, she gasped, “Spike!”

He spun around, and hopped out of his seat eagerly. “Buffy!”

The next instant, she had launched herself into his arms, causing him to step back with an ”Oof!”

Spike hugged Buffy back for a minute before attempting to pry her off of him. She was clinging on to him so hard that he couldn’t manage it, however. Chuckling slightly, he glanced over her head to see most of the cafeteria watching them.

Buffy was in heaven. She clung tight to Spike, her head nestled comfortably against his hard chest. She felt like she’d finally come home. Closing her eyes with a happy sigh, she buried her nose in his shirt and inhaled. It was a mixture of cologne, smoke, and Spike smell. Perfect…

Spike pressed a kiss to the top of Buffy’s head, then pulled away, finally untangling himself from her arms. “Step back, I want to see you, kitten.”

Buffy grinned at him and twirled on the spot. Spike smirked. “Very nice.”

Buffy laughed. “Yeah, what about you, Mr. Black-on-black? And where did the hair come from?”

Spike frowned. “Don’t like it?”

Buffy scooted closer. “Not gelled back… Here.” She ruffled his hair a little bit, and Spike yanked his head back.

“Oi! Back off.”

Buffy laughed again and abruptly shoved him down into his chair before sitting on his lap. Spike raised his scarred eyebrow and she just grinned at him before snuggling into his arms.

“Right then.” He said, shifting slightly. “I’m back to being your armchair minutes after seeing you.”

“You better believe it!” Buffy said, before noticing the rest of the table. “Oh, have you met…”

Spike nodded. “Yup.”

Buffy bit her lip, trying to contain another grin. “Okay, let’s hear ‘em!”

Willow finally spoke, “Hear what?”

Buffy shot her a radiant smile. “Spike has this weird habit of nicknaming everyone he meets within seconds of meeting them. I think he’s called me by my real name like five times the entire time I’ve known him.”

Spike somehow managed to smirk and pout at the same time. “An’ what’s wrong with that?”

Buffy shook her head. “Nothing… It’s just cute. Okay, spill.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Fine. Not cute though.” Pointing to Willow, he began, “Red,” on to Oz, “Wolfboy,” to Anya, “Demon-girl”, and lastly, Xander. “And the Whelp.”

Buffy laughed out loud and Xander looked offended. “Hey!”

Buffy shushed him, “You better get used to it. You’re never gonna hear your real name from him again.”

Spike chuckled, resting his chin on Buffy’s head. “Missed you, Goldilocks.”

The table frowned, and Buffy explained, “Spike calls most girls kitten and pet and stuff. My personal nickname is Goldilocks, or Goldi.”

Spike mock-glared at Buffy. “You making fun of me, Goldi?”

Buffy smiled innocently. “No… I’d never do that!”

Spike snorted. “Right.”

Willow leaned over, her eyes on the pair across the table, as she whispered to Xander, “They’re like an old married couple, or mind-readers, or something.” The brunette nodded quietly, looking more disturbed than happy. “Yeah…”

Spike abruptly stood up. “’Ey pet, I’m feelin’ a might peckish, jus’ gonna go get some grub. Save me a seat, yeah?”

Buffy smiled after him as he walked away, trying to discreetly ogle his butt through his long leather coat. “Isn’t Spike… amazing?” she sighed happily. “I can’t believe he’s back.”

Willow made a spooky face. “That’s because this is all a dream!” She made ‘spooky’ hand movements.

Buffy shook her head. “No way. I would never have imagined Spike all Billy Idol. He looks hot though.”

She looked back across the cafeteria at the boy in question.


Spike smiled awkwardly, edging backwards. “Um… yeah. Guess you could say I’m new. I used to live here though, ‘bout three years ago.”

Cordelia smiled at him. “Really? I’m sure I would have remembered you.” She reached out a hand and toyed with the collar of his shirt.

Spike gulped, edging back even farther. “Yeah, not sure about that… Um, nice to meet you though… But hey! They’ve got my food, I better go sit down.”

He slipped past her to grab his tray, but stopped when a hand latched onto his arm. “Oh, don’t be silly Spike, you can sit with us.”

Spike gulped. “Us?”

Two other girls popped up like magic. “Me, Harmony and Becca here, oh and Liam, Riley, and Parker… and a few other people. You know. The popular group. You don’t have to sit with any of the losers or freaks around here, Spike.”

Spike smiled weakly at the three beautiful and very scary girls in front of him. “Not that I don’t… appreciate the offer, I just have a few other friends to sit with already. Sorry, ladies.”

He quickly made his escape to Buffy’s table, flopping down on a chair. “Jesus Christ,” he groaned.

Buffy narrowed her eyes at him. “Were you flirting with those skanks, Will?”

Spike’s eyes widened, and the mystery meat on his fork fell back to his plate with a ‘plop’. “Uh… no?”

Buffy’s frown deepened. “Spike! Don’t encourage them! Especially Harmony! She’s been after you ever since that Cooties thing in first grade, remember? She’s not just gonna give up now!”

Spike blinked, looking for all the world like a confused little boy. “Huh?”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “What, like you never noticed the way she would always chase you in Kiss Tag, and was always slow when you were It?”

Spike’s eyes lit up, and he pointed a French fry at Buffy. “Yush, ai thoo.”

“What?”

Spike swallowed. “Yes, I do. I do remember that. It was creepy.”

Buffy pointed at him. “Exactly! Now she’s gonna be like a leech. I know it. She’s gonna follow you around, and leech out… your happiness, or uh, soul, or something like that…”

She shrunk slightly in her seat at the look Spike gave her. “Well, thanks for defendin’ my manly honor, sweets. I know I’ll be safe with you to protect me,” he drawled.

Buffy blushed. “Oh, shut up.”


“So, you still live on Revello, right?” Spike asked Buffy as they exited the school. She nodded and he grinned. “Good. Here, come with me.”

Buffy blinked when Spike tugged her away from the bus and over to a motorcycle. “You didn’t.”

He grinned, pulling two helmets from under the seat. “Oh yes I did. Hop on luv.”


Buffy giggled. “Oh my god…”

She squealed and grabbed tighter to Spike when he swung round a corner at speed. He chuckled and slowed down, soon coming to a halt outside her house.

Buffy got off the motorcycle, legs feeling wobbly. “Woah…”

Spike chuckled. “See you tomorrow, alrigh’ kitten?”

Buffy pouted at him. “Why not tonight?”

Spike shrugged. “Jet lag.”

“Oh. Okay. Goodnight then.”

Spike grinned at her. “I’ll give you a ride to school in the AM.”


Buffy knelt in front of her window, peeking out from between the shades, her breath coming short and fast.

Okay, she swore that she’d just wanted to open the window and yell goodnight from her house. But then he’d come into the room, wearing nothing but a wet towel, and… oh god.

Her eyes followed him as he walked around his room half-naked, putting a few last-minute things away and getting ready to sleep. The muscles on his chest and back rippled when he walked, and when he bent over she gasped slightly, eyes fixed on the way his skin moved…

Then he stood up and took off the towel.

Buffy was frozen. Nothing could possibly make her move, short of Spike himself appearing in her room. He was naked. He was naked, and moving, and his muscles were flexing, and he was turning around, and she could see his…

Oh god.

Spike pulled down the covers and got into his bed, pulling them up to obscure his beautiful flesh. Buffy whimpered as it was covered from view. No, don’t cover all of that up…

She slowly pulled away from the window, walking over and sitting on her bed. Like Spike had done. When he was naked.

She groaned and covered her eyes.


Spike woke up indecently early in the morning and groaned, rolling over and pressing his face into his pillow, not ready to get up. Then he remembered where he was, and shot out of bed, suddenly wide awake. Buffy.

He couldn’t believe he’d forgotten about her for even a second, not when she was just next door. Bouncing out of bed, he rushed through a shower and breakfast before shrugging on his coat and leaving the house.

She was waiting outside for him, and he paused for a second at the sight of her red top and short skirt, swallowing hard before blinking and looking back up at her face.

“Mornin’ pet,” Spike grinned, giving her a kiss on the cheek on the way to the garage, not noticing the way her fingers came up to gently touch the spot as he walked away.


All during school, Buffy and Spike hung out together, overcompensating for the several years apart. Afterwards they left together again, but instead of driving her home, Spike drove down to a little creek where they used to hang out together.

Buffy laughed as he pulled to a stop. “I knew it! Mr. Big Bad Nostalgic.”

“Shut up, bitch,” Spike laughed.

“You shut up, you bastard!”

Spike suddenly laughed. “It’s funny, how we regress back to insults the moment we get here.”


Ages 7, 6

“I found the perfect place!”

“Your dad said we could come here.”

“Shut up, tattle!”

“No, you shut up, you meanie!”

“Poop-head!”

Stupid-head!”

“Dumb-butt!”


Present Time

Buffy grinned. “At least I’m not calling you a stupid-head.”

“Hey, remember when we…”


Spike pulled up at his house and parked his bike before getting off and turning to walk Buffy back to her house. When they stopped outside her door, he stopped her from opening it with a hand pushing against it.

“Hey, Goldilocks, remember when I was leaving and I said nothing was gonna change?”

Buffy paled, eyes going wide, but nodded. “Y-yeah?”

Spike took a step closer to her. “And you said… ‘Nothing, except for this’?”

Buffy gave another tiny nod, shrinking up against her front door. “I – I remember…”

She swallowed hard when Spike took a second step closer to her. He looked down at her, very seriously. “Well, I’ve thought a lot about that over the past few years, luv, and…”

Buffy stared in utterly shocked hope as he leaned in even closer, lips just millimeters from her own, and enunciated clearly. “I think that you were wrong.”

She flinched roughly, tears instantly filling her eyes. “S-sorry…”

Spike looked down at her a second more, before leaning down and capturing her lips with his own.

Buffy gasped, eyes falling closed as he kissed her, his hands coming up to tangle in her hair and hold her still. Her head grew light as her own hands wrapped around his neck and he deepened the kiss.

It was all of her dreams come true, and she almost felt like crying, but had no mental capabilities to think, let alone do something other than kiss Spike back, her heart thumping in her chest and shivers running through her body.

After a long, searing kiss, Spike pulled away and looked at her. “It was always gonna be like this.”

Then he bent forward again, and their lips met once more, with the force of a hurricane, picking Buffy up and sweeping her away, so that she had to hang on tight to Spike not to be blown away. His tongue swept into her mouth like a tidal wave, crashing down over her and leaving her dazed and incoherent, knees weak. His hand wrapped around the back of her neck, holding her head and his other arm swept around her waist.

And as their lips parted for a quick breath, just air to sustain her body before she dove back into the kiss, Buffy could clearly see the cliff she was falling off of, falling so deep and so far that she knew there was no way she’d ever manage to make her way back up it. And she didn’t ever want to.

His body pressed her into her front door, everything about him demanding for more, more that she wanted nothing but to give. Buffy felt the exact moment when her knees became too weak to support her weight, and it all rested on his arms, his strong arms that were even now squeezing her tighter. A little sighing whimper escaped her mouth when his lips slowed, only gently teasing her own, before he finally pulled back just enough to rest his forehead on hers.

Buffy remained still for a moment, breathing hard, her eyes still closed as she remained frozen. Then her lashes slowly parted and her eyes met his, and suddenly it hit her that this was real. That it was Spike’s arms holding her tight to him, a thumb brushing back and forth on the back of her neck and sending tingles down her spine. It had been Spike’s lips that had numbed her own, nothing but a burning, tingling sensation left; that and the lack of his pressed to them. It was Spike’s forehead pressed to her own as his eyes bored into hers. And it had been his voice that told her that this had always been coming.

And it was him she’d just fallen in love with.

“Spike…” she whispered, and then she was crying, and he pulled back, hugging her tightly. She buried her head in his chest and he rested his own on hers, slowly rocking them back and forth as Buffy sobbed against him, their arms wrapped around each-other.

After a long time, Buffy pulled back and looked up at him, still sniffling. A smile lit up her face and Spike swallowed hard as he looked at her.

“So, uh…” Spike awkwardly scratched the back of his neck. “Wanna be my girlfriend?”

Buffy stared at him in shock, then began to laugh out loud. Once she finally calmed down, she leaned her forehead on his. “Sure, Spike. Sure.”

Then they were kissing again, and everything was perfect once more.