Author's Chapter Notes:
I couldn’t say where this idea came from, it just popped in my head and I went with it. It’s short, only two parts long, and basically nothing but fluff. I’m sure you guys aren’t shocked by that at this point. Thanks to dusty273 for the read through. I have to admit that I’m not very fond of this story, but I hope you guys would like it.
Chapter 1

“I’m really starting to get worried. It’s been way too quiet lately.”

Spike shrugged. “Maybe the Hellbitch finally gave up.”

Buffy wasn’t convinced. “No, she’s planning something. I just wish I knew what. How are you doing? Your face looks a lot better.”

He was surprised that she cared enough to ask about his condition, but ever since he refused to give Dawn up to Glory, she had been a bit nicer towards him. “Almost as good as new.”

Buffy was glad to hear that. Not just because he was her strongest fighter, but she was starting to realize just how much she wanted him around, and it was those thoughts that confused her. She snapped out of her musings when Spike was suddenly ripped away from her side, leaving her to face off with one hideous demon. It had slime and horns, with razor sharp claws.

“Excuse me? We were in the middle of a conversation.” If there was one thing Buffy hated, it was being interrupted. She kicked the demon hard in the chest, cursing herself for only having a stake on her.

Spike stood up and shook the dizziness away, taking in the sight of Buffy fighting a demon twice her size. He would jump in when she needed help, but it didn’t look like she did. He always did love watching her fight; she was like poetry in motion. When Buffy appeared to be getting tired, was when Spike decided to join in the fight. He had no idea what kind of demon they were dealing with, but didn’t want that thing anywhere near Buffy. Spike soon got the upperhand, or so he thought. With a growl, the demon was about to slash Spike across the chest with its claws, only to get Buffy instead when she foolishly jumped in front of him.

Buffy fell to the ground with a moan of pain, holding her abdomen in the process.

It was then that Spike saw red. He roared and attacked the demon, taking it by surprise. He threw punches repeatedly on the demon, then grabbed it by the neck and twisted with all his strength. Spike slammed the dead body to the ground, watching in disgust as it dissolved into green goo. He dropped to Buffy’s side, gently lifting her head onto his lap. “Pet, are you okay?”

She groaned. “I feel like I was stabbed with a hot poker.”

He smiled, relieved that she was conscious. “Come on, let’s get you home.”

Buffy nodded and wobbled to her feet, holding on to Spike’s arm for support.

Spike kept his arm around her as he helped her out of the cemetery.


* * * * *


“Guys, I’m fine, you don’t have to coddle me.”

Willow placed a glass of water next to Buffy’s bed, giving her a look. “You need to rest, there’s no telling what that demon did to you.”

Buffy waved her hand in the air. “It’s nothing, I feel fine. Look,” she said, lifting up her shirt, “The wound is almost healed.”

Xander nodded. “Still, you should take it easy, Buffster. We’ll get out of your hair.”

Willow agreed and followed Xander out of the room, leaving Dawn and Spike behind.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Dawn wondered, a hint of worry in her voice.

“Yes, I’m fine. It’ll take more than one demon to get rid of me.”

Spike gave her one more concerned look, then decided to give the sisters some privacy.

Dawn sat on the edge of Buffy’s bed once he left; taking her sister’s hand in hers, her concern growing when she felt how cold she was.


* * * * *


“What kind of demon do you suppose it was?” Giles asked when they were all back downstairs.

Spike shrugged. “Hell if I know, never seen anything like it before. All I know is that it was bloody ugly. The demon was going to claw me, but Buffy stepped in the way. You need to talk to that Slayer of yours; she shouldn’t be putting herself at risk like that.”

Giles agreed and would be having a word with her later about that.

“Buffy!” they all heard Dawn suddenly yell, hurrying up the stairs to see what was going on.

Spike arrived first, only to see the unconscious body of Buffy on the floor, Dawn by her side. “What happened?”

Dawn glanced up at him. “I don’t know. She got up to go to the bathroom, then just collapsed.”

Spike kneeled down, taking Buffy’s clammy hand in his. “Buffy, love, you have to wake up now. You know better than to scare us all like this.” Minutes went by, and still there was no luck. Spike picked her up and lay her gently back in her bed, covering her up with the blanket because it looked like she was cold.

“What’s wrong with her? She’s going to be okay, right?”

Spike turned to the young girl. “I don’t know, nibblet.”

She wouldn’t accept that. “No, she has to be okay. I can’t lose her, too.”

Spike felt helpless as Dawn ran out of the room, wishing that he could tell her that everything would be all right, but he didn’t even know that for sure.

Giles chose that moment to speak up. “We need to find out what demon that was. That may be the only way to help Buffy.”

They all left the room to do some research.

Spike remained behind for a little while longer, not wanting to leave Buffy’s side, but he was the only other one besides her to have seen the demon. He gave her hand one more squeeze, then headed downstairs to join the others.


* * * * *


“This is getting us nowhere. It’s like the bloody demon doesn’t even exist.”

Dawn placed a calming hand on Spike’s arm, knowing just how worried he was for her sister. She decided to help with the research, wanting to feel somewhat useful.

Xander rubbed his tired eyes, Anya resting on his shoulder. His girl wasn’t much for research. “Yikes, these demons are sure grotesque looking. This one has horns all over its body.”

Spike perked up at that, snatching the book out of Xander’s hands, his eyes widening. “Bloody hell, this is the one.”

“Really? Looks like I’m the research man, after all.”

Spike grinned at him. “Whelp, I could kiss you.”

He raised his eyebrows, that being enough to wake Anya up.

“I’m the only one allowed to kiss Xander,” she stated firmly.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Not like I would have really done it,” he mumbled, reading over what he could about the demon. “You have got to be bloody kidding me!” he exclaimed suddenly, causing all eyes to be on him. “It’s a fairytale demon. The claws hold a venom that is hazardous to humans. It would have caused them to drop dead right away, but since Buffy is a little more than human, it caused her to fall into a deep slumber.”

Giles took his glasses off to clean them, having a feeling about where Spike was going with this.

“The Sleeping Beauty complex, the only thing able to wake Buffy is…”

“Her true love’s kiss,” Giles finished for him.

Spike pointed at him. “Got it in one.”

Xander laughed. “Are you serious? That has to be the lamest demon I’ve ever heard of.”

“Yeah, but this is good. We know how to save Buffy now,” Willow commented.

Dawn graced Spike with a smile. This would finally be enough to prove that her two favorite people were meant to be together, but her high was completely brought down by Giles’ next words.

“As much as it pains me to admit this, I believe we may need Angel’s help. He’s possibly the only one that would be able to wake Buffy; one of us should call him.”

Willow nodded in agreement. “I’m on it,” she said, making her way over to the phone to do just that.

Dawn was the only one that noticed Spike’s hurt expression over the mention of Angel, gripping his hand tighter in hers. Sometimes her friends could be so stupid.