Author's Chapter Notes:
The song in this story is called "Chasing Pavements" by Adele.
Title: Chasing Pavements
Part: 3
Summary: Sequel to "Keep Getting Better". It's now been four years since Spike came back. They have a daughter and a son. They are trying to have another baby, and they aren't getting any luck in that department.
Rating: G
Genres: Angst, Fluffy/Comedy, Romance
Warnings: None
Complete: Yes
Published: 01/03/09
_______________________________________________





I've made up my mind, don't need to think it over
If I'm wrong I am right, don't need to look no further
This ain't lust, I know this is love
But if I tell the world, I'll never say enought
'Cause was not said to you
And that's exactly what I need to do if I'd end up with you





Buffy looked through the window, that was positioned over her kitchen sink, trying to find some light in the night as she did the day's dishes. She had had the longest day of her life. She had gone to the doctor again. Hoping that he would tell her that she was pregnant with her third child. But, no such luck. She sighed and rinsed off the last dish and placed it in the drying rack with the rest of the dishes.

She dried her hands and folded the towel, draping it back through the metal hoop on the cabinets. She grabbed her wedding rings, placing them on the third finger on her left hand. As she walked towards the couch, she grabbed the fluffy blanket from the kitchen table chair.

Her and Spike had been trying to have another baby. It had been three years since their last child had been born. William. Named after his champion of a father. It was Buffy's idea. Spike had been adamant that they would not name their son William, but at one look at Buffy's face, he knew that this was what she wanted. That she wanted to name their son after him.

They had been trying for almost 6 months to have another baby, but there had been no luck yet. Buffy wanted the big family. The whit picket fence and the fat grand-babies included. She wanted all of that. But to her, it just seemed like they weren't going to be having another baby. No matter how much they tried.





Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
Even if it leads nowhere?
Or would it be a waste even if I knew my place
Should I leave it there?
Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavement
Even if it leads nowhere?





Upon hearing the front door open, Buffy stood and turned around. Smiling as she saw Spike holding the hand of their four year old while carrying their three year old, who was dead asleep. She walked over to take Abigail from him. She had seen her rub her tired eyes, "Come on, baby. Mommy will take you to get your clothes changed and we'll get you to bed. Okay?"

The little girl simply nodded and lifted her arms, silently asking her mother to pick her up. Buffy complied and carried the little girl into her room, giving Spike a small smile when she passed him. Once getting Abigail tucked in, she leaned over and kissed her forehead, "Mommy loves you, baby girl. Never forget that. I'll love you till the end of time."

She stood and ran her hand through her little girl's blonde curls. Slightly shutting the door when she left, she noticed that William's door was still open. Walking over, she stopped as she heard Spike telling William good night and that both he and his mother loved him very much.

Buffy gave Spike a small smile as he left the room, slightly closing the door as Buffy had done with Abigail's room. He sighed and went to her. He grabbed her and hugged her, never wanting to let go as he buried his face in her neck, breathing in her scent, "How are you, Kitten? Feeling any better?"

Spike knew that Buffy had wanted another child just as much as he did. He had heard the hurt in her voice when she had called him at work to tell him about the doctor's appointment. He had heard the pain that it had brought her. He hated it. Hated that he couldn't give her another child.

Buffy ran her fingers over his still buzzed head. She loved his hair like this. It felt so soft. She bent her head and kissed the side of his face. She pulled apart from him, taking his hand as she led him to their bedroom, "Get ready for bed and then we'll talk."

Nodding, Spike kissed her quickly but softly then got ready for bed. He laid down on his side of the bed under the covers and watched her finish changing her clothes. Once she was beside him, he turned off the lamp beside his head and snuggled her in next to him.

They lay there for a while, neither of them saying anything. Neither knowing what to say to the other. Finally, Buffy kissed his bare chest and sighed, "I'm sorry that I wasn't pregnant."

Spike couldn't believe that she was apologizing for that, "Sweetheart, you don't need to apologize for that. That's something that you can't control. You are trying just as hard as I am, if not harder. I know that you want another baby. But we'll just have to keep trying, okay?"

Buffy looked up at him and smiled, "I love you." She said quickly before dropping a quick kiss on his lips. She snuggled back into his side where she was before, "Let's not try tonight. Let's just sleep. I just need you to hold me."

Spike smiled and kissed the top of her head, "Alright, Kitten. I'll just hold you. I love you."

"I love you, too."





I built myself up and fly around in circles
Wait then as my heart drops and back beings to tingle
Finally could this be it?





Buffy and Spike woke to the sound of shrill ringing next to their heads. Blindly reaching, Buffy grabbed the phone and put it to her ear, "Hello?" she answered drunkly.

"Mrs. Graves? This is Dr. Adele. I'm sorry to wake you so early, but this was of dyer emergency. I would have called sooner, but as soon as we found out, it was late in the night. Are you sitting down, Mrs. Graves?"





Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
Even if it leads nowhere?
Or would it be a waste even if I knew my place
Should I leave it there?
Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
Even if it leads nowhere?





Buffy sat up in the bed, resting against the headboard as Spike lazily laid his head down on her lap. He hugged her legs and Buffy smiled as she ran her free hand over his head, slightly lulling him back to sleep, "Yes, Dr. Adele. I'm sitting down. What's the emergency?"

At the word 'emergency' Spike sat up immediately. He hadn't been paying much attention, but all he knew was that Buffy's doctor had called. He assumed that it was just to set up another appointment, but his thoughts were quickly averted as he heard that word.





Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
Even if it leads nowhere?
Or would it be a waste even if I knew my place
Should I leave it there?
Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
Even if it leads nowhere?





"Mrs. Graves, I am terribly sorry about this. There seems to have been a mix up here. Your files had been mixed with another one of our patients. When I had grabbed your file, her papers were in it. I am terribly sorry."

Buffy scrunched her brows together and grabbed Spike's hand, "Doctor. I'm not sure that I understand. What is the emergency if there was just a mix up in papers?"

"Mrs. Graves, after seeing your actual test results, you are pregnant. Once again, I am terribly sorry about the mix up."

Buffy sat in silence, staring out into space as her eyes started to water. Spike noticed this and gently took the phone from her, "Dr. Adele? I'm sorry, my wife seems to be silent right now. Thank you for calling."

"Not a problem. You're welcome, Mr. Graves. Once again, I'm terribly sorry for the mix up. Good bye."

Spike hung up the phone and placed it on the table next to him. He glanced at Buffy and turned her tear streaked face towards him, "Sweetheart? What happened? Is everything okay?"

Buffy took deep breath and grabbed Spike to her, "Spike! We're pregnant!"

Spike pulled back and stuttered, "Wha...What? We're...We're preg...pregnant? But the...the doctor said yester...yesterday that we were....weren't."

Buffy smiled brightly and cupped Spike's cheek, "That's what he was calling about. There was a mix up in my file and another lady's file. Her papers were in my file and that's why it said I wasn't pregnant." She squeezed his hand, "We're having another baby!"

Spike jumped up and grabbed Buffy, cradling her in his arms as he swung them in circles. He kissed her cheek and placed her on the bed. He kissed and pushed gently with his mouth until she was laying on her back. He moved swiftly until he was at her still flat stomach. Flipping her shirt up, he kissed the flat surface, "Hello in there, bit. It's your Daddy."

Buffy smiled and ran her hands over his head, "And what a good Daddy he is, too."





Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
Even if it leads nowhere?
Or would it be a waste even if I knew my place
Should I leave it there?
Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
Even if it leads nowhere?




FIN (until the next part!)