Introduction...

This was the life. This was the life she craved. Standing in this smoke-flooded hole of a place with sweaty bodies bumping and grinding to the beat made life seem normal. As normal as life could get, anyway. This was her escape. This was where she came to get away from it all. Here she was just another girl, not a washed up, has been super hero. Here she wasn't a woman struggling to get through each day with something to show an impatient, moody publicist. Here she could drink and dance away the evils that were plaguing her. Here she could be free.

"Another." The empty shot glass slammed against highly polished wood, and she shook out her golden hair. She could still feel the fire flowing through her veins from the last few shots.

"Sure, that's a good idea, pet?" She felt the warm breath against her ear, the words hardly above a whisper. Turning slowly on the stool to shoot a contemptuous glare at the stranger that dared interrupt her, she found herself very alone. Hearing voices that weren't there was a pretty good sign to stop drinking, but she didn't care. Quickly drowning the shot that had appeared since her back was turned, she shoved a few bills on the table.

"Another, miss?" Music blared and lights flashed brightly in the background as she studied the handsome man before her. He seemed too young to be working in a sleazy joint like this, and the polo shirt he wore with ‘Joe' stitched on it, hung loosely on his small frame. Raven curls framed a delicate fair skinned face, thin glasses enhanced swirling chocolate brown eyes, and thin lips that parted to reveal a radiant dimpled smile. He didn't belong here. What was she doing, she didn't belong here either. Joe, the most attractive man in the room. She, who didn't seem to fit anywhere she went. They drew the attention of everyone. The odd couple out.

"No thanks, Joe." Her words came out slightly slurred. "I think I've had enough for one night." He flashed her a sympathetic grin. She'd be feeling this in the morning.

"Call you a cab, then?" She stood, testing her legs and looked across the crowded room to the door. Outside that door and back to her life. Back to attempting to get by every day. Back to pretending he'd never existed. The thought made her want to sit and have another round, but she had to leave, she'd wasted away half the night already.

"Thanks, but I think I'll manage." Twisting her way through the massive throng, she reached the door and hesitated a brief moment before charging into the night.

The air was cooler, and she shivered slightly as the moonlight faintly trailed across her bare shoulders. She cursed as she realized she'd left her coat hanging on the stool at the bar.

"Cold, luv?" The voice from earlier brushed softly against her ear. The hint of an accent sparked a memory, but the memory quickly faded as she realized she was more alone outside on the deserted sidewalk then she had been inside the bar.

Shaking her head and muttering about the evils of drinking, she gathered up her willpower and pushed her way back inside.

Her first thought was she had entered the wrong room. But no, this was the only bar on the street, she couldn't have made a mistake, yet the atmosphere was strangely altered. The lights had dimmed and the music muted as she made her way towards the bar. She sensed him before she saw him. She could feel him in the shadows. Almost hear his non-existent breath, and the allusion of smoke bellowing out of thin air.

Sharp anger seared through her. This was what she had wanted so desperately to leave behind. And here he was, staring at her from a blanket of darkness. She would never really get away. He was everywhere she went. He was in everyone she saw. She could feel his gaze following her every step towards the bar. She could almost see the piercing blue eyes contemplating her slightest movement. She made slow work of grabbing the blood red leather jacket, and sent a searching look in his direction once more before she turned to leave again. He was aware that she felt his presence, she knew it.

"Leaving so soon?" She increased her pace towards the doors. She had to get away from him before he caught her. But she knew he would catch her. He always caught her. "The night is young, stay awhile longer." She felt his hand on her arm, felt the pleading in his voice.

"How long," her voice came out soft and cracked as turned to face him, anger etched in every line of her face. "How long have you been watching me from a distance."

"From the moment I first laid eyes on you. You never let me or anyone else close long enough to watch you any other way. You had to know I'd find you. I'll always find you." He took a long drag on his cigarette before he let it drop, and smashed it with his foot.

"What do you want from me."

"Don't ask questions you already know the answer to, pet."

She reached out to snatch a full glass of some mysterious liquor and ignored the protests of it's previous owner. Downing it in a flash, she felt the glass slip out of her hand and heard it shatter a moment before everything faded into darkness.