Author's Chapter Notes:
Again i am in DIRE meed of a beta. if anyone is interested PLEASE let me know!
“You can’t be in here!”

“But my wife…she’s my wife…and the baby….what about the baby….What’s wrong with her?!”

“Sir you need to leave. We’re doing what we can. Please just wait outside!”

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOUR ‘DOING WHAT YOU CAN’?? YOU’RE THE DOCTORS!!”

“Right out now! Do you think this is helping your wife any?”

He felt someone pushing him towards the door, but he didn’t care. All he could see was Buffy, his gorgeous angel, passed out on a trolley and no-one seemed to be helping her. He turned to the nearest doctor.

“Will you just do something!”

“We are, Take him outside please.”

The man who’d been pushing at him put more force behind his nudging.

“Come on man you can’t be here. Just wait outside.”

“But she’s my wife”

“I know that. lets just go outside yeah?”

Will felt himself give in. He allowed the stranger to guide him to the waiting area outside Intensive Care. He felt the man push him down into one of the chairs. He looked up and saw a pair of brown eyes staring down at him in concern.

“What’s wrong with her? Please just tell me she’ll be okay.”

“I don’t know man. I wish I could tell you. But I do know those doctors in there and they’re the best there is. They’ll do everything they can for her. As soon as they know something. You will.”

He heard vibrating. The tall black man’s beeper went off.

“I just….”

“I know. Listen I have to go. Is there anyone you want me to call?”

“No. No there’s no-one. Not right now”

“Okay but if you need anything go to the nurses station and ask them to page me for you, my name’s Charles Gunn.”

“Alright. And thank you.”

“It’s fine. And you’re wife? I’m sure she’ll be fine too.”

Charles looked down at the broken man. It didn’t look like he was inclined to say anything else. Poor guy. I don’t know what I’d do if that was Fred.


William looked up briefly as the man left. How the hell did I end up here?


Pray God you can cope.
I stand outside this woman's work,
This woman's world.
Ooh, it's hard on the man,
Now his part is over.
Now starts the craft of the father.





A few hours earlier

Will stopped on his way into the bedroom. He leaned against the doorframe just watching her. Buffy was sitting at the vanity putting on make-up. How the hell does one person get so beautiful?

"Are you ready yet kitten?"

"Nearly, give me like five minutes, ten at the most."

"Good god woman I love you, i really do, but we really need to leave."

"And we will leave. Just not right now."

"I was hoping for somethin' more along the lines of 'ofcourse honey, I'm ready now'."

"Take comfort in the fact that someday you may get that."

"Bloody hell! this was your idea you know."

"I know, but the restaurant isn't going to run away because we're a few minutes late. Now shush. I'm trying to get ready."


God i'm never going to get her out of here. If all else fails? Whine like a petulant little boy.


"Come on please, you know I hate being late."

"And you know I'm never on time. Will it's only dinner. It will be fine. Now if you can't be quiet, get out."

"Alrite. Five minutes or i'm carrying you out."

"oh yeah? You and what army?"

"Baby you know i know how to handle you."

His voice was just dripping inuendo. She looked up long enough to throw him a nasty glare.

"Just get out so I can finish up!"

"Fine, but hurry up please."


He turned and headed down the stairs, grumbling to himself.
"When the hell did I get so whipped?"


He could hear her giggling from the bedroom and he was that bit less put out about being so late. Anything to put a smile on that pretty face.





present

God baby, you need to be okay. I need you to be okay!


I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.




Abruptly, William got up from the plastic chair and started pacing the room. He could never sit still for long, especially not at a time like this. He was itching for a cigerette, but he couldn't stand the thought of leaving Buffy. He looked at the payphone on the wall across from him.

I should probably call someone.




Elsewhere

"Anne Summers if you do not stop running right now i'm calling your Daddy!" I'm far too old for this!

"No!"

"yes! you're going into the bath whether you like it or not so you can just stop running!"

The little fair haired girl stopped running down the hall. She turned around to her grandmother. Her little face was scrunched up and she seemed to be considering something very serious.

She opened her mouth to say something. Then closed it again. Then she said
"But grandma i don't like the bath!"

Joyce Summers roled her eyes. She loved her grand-daughter more than life itself, but she could be quite the little madam.

"Well i'm sorry Annie but you're filthy. I can't hand you bacj to Mommy and Daddy looking like this can I?"

"but Mommy won't mind."

"i'm sure Mommy will mind. Now get upstairs!"

And with that the green-eyed little imp took off again.

Oh for the love of God!

"ANNE GET BA..."

She was cut off by the ringing of the telephone that was hanging on the wall of the kitchen. She walked over and answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Joyce..."

"Oh William it's you. How's you're evening going? did you reach the restaraunt on time? BUffy simply cannot be trusted! i'm beginning to rethink my unconditional babysitting card-"

"Joyce-"

"Much as i love Annie, she's quite the handful at this stage. Imagine 6 years old already! i don't understand where-"

"JOYCE!"

"Oh i'm sorry William, i suppose you'll want to get back to Buffy. Well Annie's just fine, if a little dirty but-"

"Please Joyce..."

It was his tone that got her attention.

"William are you alright??"

"No.."

"What's wrong?"

"It's Buffy.."

"WHAT'S BUFFY?! WILLIAM?!"

Annie chose that moment to run back into the kitchen.

"What's wrong Grandma?"

William could hear his little baby down the line. He took a deep breath.

"There's been an accident Joyce."


Chapter End Notes:
What did you think? Is it worth continuing?