Author's Chapter Notes:
I wasn’t going to start posting this until I at least finished it, but I have no idea when that will be and I got impatient. I have about twelve chapters written so far, but I’m not sure how long this story is going to be. It’s mostly just something fun and lighthearted, with a dose of angst in there as well because you know it wouldn’t be Spuffy without it. And will possibly be slightly out of character, but sometimes that could be a good thing. Anyway, I hope you guys like it. Thanks as always goes to dusty273 for her help with this fiction, and to buffy_the_vamp6 for my lovely banner=)
Chapter 1

Spike crashed through the ‘Welcome to Sunnydale’ sign, as was tradition. He stepped out of the car, lighting a cigarette and placing it between his lips as he took a few drags off it. With a grin firmly in place, he looked around at his surroundings. A town that he never thought he would see again, and yet can’t seem to stay away. This time would be different, though. He would find the gem, and the Slayer wouldn’t know what hit her. She would finally be his.


* * * * *


“Mom, where’s the phone?”

Joyce Summers glanced up at her daughter. “You had it last.”

Buffy headed into the living room. “Okay, found it!”

The older woman counted to five in her head.

“Mom, where’s Dawn?!”

Joyce rubbed her temples. “She’s out with Willow and Xander. Honestly, Buffy, you were here when they picked her up.”

Buffy nodded, running back into the kitchen. “Right, I knew that. Sorry, I’m just all over the place tonight. I have this five page essay due tomorrow, I have Dawn, and not to mention the slaying. I’m surprised to even know where I put my car keys.”

Joyce cut Buffy off when it looked like she was about to speak again. “They’re by the front door.”

“Yeah, I so knew that. I’m off to the library now. Don’t wait up,” she said, placing a kiss on her mother’s cheek before leaving the house.


* * * * *


Buffy waved goodbye to her study buddy, glad to finally be going home. Riley seemed like a decent enough guy, and he was obviously interested in her, but dating was just not an option at the moment. Not with everything else she had to deal with.

“Well, well, what do we have here?”

Buffy groaned as she gazed up at the night sky. “Why do you hate me?” she asked, turning around to face the familiar vampire standing behind her. “Spike, and so my night is complete. What are you doing here? For someone that claims to hate this town so much, you sure do love to visit.”

Spike shrugged. “What can I say, Slayer? I got bored, decided to see what you’ve been up to.” He looked her up and down. “Have to say, the last year has done right by you. I’m glad to see you’ve put on some weight.”

Buffy was confused by their conversation, but didn’t have much time to dwell on it. “Is there something in particular that you wanted? I have to pick up Dawn.” She cursed herself for revealing that much, hoping the vampire would leave it alone, but there was no such luck.

“Who’s Dawn?”

Buffy thought of something fast to say. “My sister, who else?”

He shook his head. “You don’t have a sister.”

She rolled her eyes. “I think I would know if I had a sister or not. Look, I don’t have time for this. We can fight later. I have to go.”

Spike watched her walk away, knowing that something didn’t seem right, but it would have to wait for the time being. He had a gem to dig for.


* * * * *


With a roar of triumph, Spike placed the ring on his finger. It was a bit smaller than he thought it would be, but he was just relieved to actually find it, something that was known as a myth. Spike grinned, feeling like taking a stroll in the sunlight, possibly by the UC Sunnydale campus.


* * * * *


“I can’t believe you brought her here.”

Buffy glared at the dark haired boy. “I didn’t have much of a choice. If someone would help me out every once in a while, I wouldn’t have to rely on my mother for everything. I don’t know where we would be right now if it wasn’t for her. This is just as much my responsibility as it is yours, Parker.”

He scoffed. “I told you before; I don’t want any part in this. You’ve done well for yourself these last few months. I don’t want anything to do with either one of you.”

Buffy was used to hearing that, but it didn’t make it hurt any less. “God, you’re such a dick. I can’t believe I ever slept with you, but you’re right. I’ve been doing just fine without you.”

Parker nodded. “Good, are we done here?” He took off, not bothering to wait for a response.

“Bloody pillock, you actually dated that wanker?”

The voice came from behind her and she turned around to address him. “We never dated, just slept together once. It was a horrible mistake, and why are you not bursting into flames right now?” Buffy finished, seeming to just take notice of that fact.

Spike smiled. “The Gem of Amara,” he answered, holding up his hand to show her the ring. “Makes the wearer invincible and for vampires, able to go out during the day.”

Buffy’s eyes widened as she moved to block the object at her side. “Oh, I take it this is the reason you came back.” It wasn’t a question.

“Yeah, something like that.” A soft cooing sound had him turning his attention on to the stroller next to her, peering inside to see the small infant. “Is this Dawn?” he wondered.

All Buffy could do was nod.

Spike gave a low whistle. “Wait to go, Joyce. It’s nice to see that she’s still getting plenty of action for a woman her age. Not that I think she’s old or anything, I’m definitely not one to talk, but good for her. Unless the father is your git of a Watcher, I heard about the band candy incident.”

Buffy scrunched up her nose in distaste. “Let’s never speak of that again, I’m still trying to get the image out of my head.”

He agreed. “So, who is the lucky bloke?”

Buffy looked away for a moment. “I wouldn’t really say lucky, but you just saw him.”

It was Spike’s turn to look disgusted. “That moron was putting it to your mum?”

“Gross, can you possibly be even more disturbing? It’s me, okay? Dawn isn’t my sister, she’s my daughter.”

That was the last thing Spike expected to hear. “Should have known,” he whispered after a few seconds, gazing down at the sleeping child. “She does look just like you.”

“Right, look, can we not fight right now? Obviously that’s why you got the gem, but I would rather not do it with my daughter around. You can try and kill me later.”

His head shot up, seeming shocked by what she just said. “Wait, you think I came back to kill you?”

“Well, yeah, didn’t you?”

He would have laughed at just the idea of it, but kept a serious expression. “No, I bloody well didn’t. I especially wouldn’t now.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “Why? Because I’m a mother? Why should you care about that?”

“Give me some credit, Slayer. I’d like to think I’m not that heartless. I came back because…” his voice trailed off, not sure how to finish that sentence. When it looked like Buffy was waiting for him to continue, he took a deep, unneeded breath and did just that. “I came back because I realized that I’m in love with you.”

Buffy couldn’t tell if he was joking or not. She tried to think of something witty to say in response, but all she could manage was, “huh?”