Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everybody! This is my first story so don't be too harsh. Constructive crit. definitely welcomed and any other comments just to make me feel fuzzy inside! :) Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoy!
Chapter 1: The job

A man with peroxide blonde hair walked across the dewy grass of the cemetery, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, his long black leather coat billowing behind him. He suddenly stopped in his tracks. He sighed.

“What do you want, peaches?” He felt his sire following him on the way home and couldn’t help but be annoyed. Perfect end to a good Saturday night. They didn’t have what you would call a close relationship. Actually they hated each other.

“Got a job for you, Spike” Angelus finally said stepping out of the shadows where he was hiding. He wasn’t surprised Spike knew he was there.

“How much?” He wasn’t gunna take another petty job from Angelus if it didn’t get him a pretty penny.

“50 grand.” With that he had Spike’s attention.

“Alright, who’s the target and what did they do to piss you off?” He always wanted to know why and Angelus hated that.

“The reason why is simple and I'm sure she’ll interest you.”

“What’s so interestin’ about this bird then?”

“She’s the slayer.” Spike no longer needed any other incentive.

“Alright, I’m in.” After he got all the information he needed he turned and left Angelus. He reached his place, packed a bag, and took off in his classic black DeSoto heading towards the little town of Sunnydale.

******
He stood outside 1630 Revello drive. He easily found the address and decided to do a little recon on his new target. It was a fair sized house with a couple trees in the front. It had a porch in the front of the house. Checking around the house to find all the in’s and out’s, he listened to the heartbeats and the breathing coming from the inside. He counted only two heartbeats. When he felt the sunrise coming he decided to find a crypt to get some kip for the day.

******
The next night he decided to see what was going on in Sunnyhell as he now called it. He found a demon bar hoping he could get some more information on the resident slayer. Having a few drinks he made his presence and his master status known. He didn’t find out much about the slayer. Just a club she seems to go to often. He decided to go the next day and see if he could just get a sight of her.

On his way back from the bar he heard fighting in the distance so he followed his ears. When he noticed who was fighting and with what he remained in the shadows to watch. He saw a petite blonde with big hazel green eyes trading jabs with a fledgling with no effort on her part. He was drawn to her golden hair and her baby cute face and he felt as if he could get lost in her eyes. This was the slayer. He could feel it in his blood. She was beautiful. When she fought she was poetry in motion and he couldn’t keep his eyes off her.

“You know very well, if you eat this late…” She said right before she staked him.

“Your gunna get heartburn. Get it?” She pouted when she got no reaction from the vampire. Spike thought the pout was adorable. Wait he did not just think that. He followed her and noticed she was not heading to the house he checked out the previous night. She ended up at a dorm complex at UC Sunnydale. (“Chit must go to school here. Stay with her mum on the weekend.”) He stored that knowledge for later use.

******

“So Buff, we bronzing it tonight?” Xander asked as he joined Buffy and Willow at the table.

“Yeah, Giles gave me the night off so I can be all play Buffy tonight.” Giles hadn’t given her a night off in what seemed like forever. Ok, so maybe it’s was a couple days ago but it still felt like forever.

“Oh, Tara and I were hoping to see this band playing there tonight so it’s perfect.” Willow said. When Buffy noticed the time she realized she was going to be late for her last class. The trio begrudgingly got up to head in their separate directions.

******

Buffy and Willow were sitting at a table in the bronze talking and watching the band. Xander was on the dance floor dancing with no one because Anya hadn’t shown up yet and Tara was running late because of a last minute paper. Willow would have stayed with her but she insisted Willow went and told her she would be there as soon as she could.

“Come on guys lets dance. I’m all alone out there.” He said out of breath when he came in earshot of the girls. They giggled and went to join him on the dance floor.

Spike sat at the bar in the bronze. He saw the slayer sitting and talking to a red head girl at one of the tables. He watched her as she was dragged onto the dance floor and was mesmerized by the way she moved.

Willow noticed the gorgeous blonde watching her friend. She nudged Buffy.

“Major hottie checking you at the bar.”

“No way! Really?” She snuck a glance towards the bar and noticed him. Boy was he hot. He had striking blonde hair and gorgeous blue eyes.

“You should go talk to him.” Willow told her.

“I can’t just go talk to him.”

“Oh come on. What happened to ‘I live for today?’”

“Fine! I’ll go talk to the gorgeous man at the bar.” She gave in and turned to walk towards the bar. She got a better look at him as she walked toward him. He was a slender yet well muscled man. His face was outlined by his sharp check bones and finished with those deep blue eyes she noticed earlier. He had the bad boy look going wearing a long leather jacket, a dark gray shirt, and black pants. His hair was bleached blond and it was slicked back to hide the curls. His eyes were on her the entire time she walked to the bar. She smiled at him and he smiled back as she approached him.

“Is this seat taken?” She asked shyly.

“For a lady as beautiful as you it’s always open.” British accent! Yum! She smiled as she took a seat.

“So are you new in town? Cos’ I mean I’ve never seen you here before. This is only thing in Sunnydale so that’s why I figured you were new. Well obviously it’s not the only thing in Sunnydale. Just the only good thing and now I’m babbling aren’t I?”

“Jus’ a little but no worries, luv I think is adorable.” That was the honest true. What the hell is wrong with him? The slayer’s not bloody adorable.

“An’ to answer your first question, yeah. Jus’ got in a couple days ago” Now this was a turn of events. He never expected the slayer to approach him. He could use this to his advantage.

“Oh! So what brings you here?”

“Business.” He didn’t like where this conversation was going so he decided to change the subject.

“Care to dance, pet?” He gave her a reassuring smile.

“Okay.” She smiled back as he took her hand to lead her onto the dance floor. As she passed her two friends on the dance floor Willow gave her an excited smile and continued dancing. Buffy enjoyed dancing with the mysterious blonde man. He was a good dancer but she knew nothing till the band switched to a slow song. As they danced in each others arms they both felt content. Like everything was fine. When the song ended they parted, both slightly embarrassed at how right that felt. Spike was more disgusted then embaressed because it was the bloody slayer! He followed Buffy off the dance floor, not even noticing they were joined at the hands. They found a table to sit and talk at.

“You’re a good dancer.” She told him hoping to break the ice.

“Not bad yourself, pet.” He smiled.

“Oh I’m Buffy by the way.”

“Spike.”

“Spike?” That was an odd name.

“It’s a nickname.” He offered. Her silent ‘oh’ said she understood.

“So what’s your real name?” She asked.

“Maybe you’ll find out.” He didn’t just give out that name.

“So, are you moving here or is it just a trip?” I mean there’s no reason to get attached if he’s not even going to stay right?

“Not sure yet. Maybe I’ll find a reason to stay.” He decided to flirt a bit. Maybe he’d become her “friend”. It would make his job ten times easier if he didn’t have to find a way to get to her.

They talked for a while longer. Spike was skillfully avoiding any topic pertaining to his “job”. It was getting kind of late and Buffy just realized she ditched Willow and Xander. Even if Tara and Anya probably showed up by now she still felt bad.

“So, maybe I’ll see you around here more often?” She asked hopefully.

“You can count on it.” He stood up and held his hand out to help her out of her chair. She took it and smiled gratefully.

“Ok, I’ll see you then.” She gave him another smile and left. (“Oh I’ll be seeing you real soon slayer.”) He said to himself, his plan working in his mind.

******
He watched her from the shadows as she patrolled the next night, just out of reach of her sense. He saw her walk into a crypt and heard some noises but not enough to make out what was going on. The slayer ran back out of the crypt followed by 6 Gurack demons. She knocked out the first to get to her and blocked a punch from the demon preceding it.

The slayer was so caught up in the fight with the one demon she failed to notice the other five, including the now conscious one she previously knocked out, forming a circle around her. When she was finally able to use her stake to kill the one she was fighting, she started to feel panicked. Noticing that three out of five were carrying swords and all she had was her handy stake, her chances of coming out unscathed were unlikely. However, she had no choice. She battled with the closest two keeping an eye on the rest. She felt one come from behind her and waited for the blow she knew she could not avoid. She was surprised when it never came.

When Spike heard her heart rate increase and could sense the slight fear coming off her, he knew she was in trouble. When he saw one of the demons take advantage of her turned back he was there and snapping the head off before he even had time to think. Noticing the slayer had no suitable weapon he grabbed the sword from the now dead demon.

“Here, slayer, catch.” He threw her the sword and then continued his battle with the other two demons.

She heard the voice and grabbed the sword. Now that she had a sufficient weapon she could make quick work of the demons. Blocking the swing of a sword she quickly beheaded him. Now left with the one without a sword she was able to finish him with no trouble at all. When she turned to finish the rest of the demon off she was shocked at what she saw. It was Spike.

TBC