Author's Chapter Notes:
Inspired by a wonderful artwork by Just Sue. If I can figure out how, I'll post it here as a banner - but tends not to go well for me, so no promises.
Knowing and Watching


Prologue:

“Never thought I’d see the day when I missed having a Council of Wankers around.”

Spike’s grumbling elicited giggles from Buffy as she stood up from the table full of books and stretched her stiff back. Spike’s insistence that they make themselves familiar with all the demon varieties in this world was a constant source of bickering between the reluctant watcher and his slayer mate. However, even he had to admit that wading through the large amount of information publicly available about demons and vampires in their new world was a daunting task.

“Yeah, but if they were around, they’d want to make one of them my watcher. And I like the one I’ve got.” She came around behind him and leaned over to nuzzle his ear, sliding her arms around his chest and giving him a small hug. “I don’t think the Watchers’ Council has anybody quite as sexy as you are, or with all your…talents.”

“Too bloody right, they don’t!” he agreed with a purr. “And don’t you forget it, missy. You’re the only slayer to ever have a watcher like me.”

“Of course, I’m also the only slayer in this dimension, so who knows? Maybe, if they had a Watchers Council, it would be full of sexy young men.” Her giggle at his possessive growl brought a reluctant smile to his face.

“Got two words for you, love: Rupert Giles.”

“Ewww! Way to spoil that fantasy, Spike!” She went to straighten up from her position, only to find herself yanked around the chair and onto the grinning vampire’s lap.

“I catch you fantasizing about anything but my tight little body and I’ll--” He broke off, both of them fully aware that he would do nothing to hurt his mate, regardless of what she might do to him.

“You’ll what?” she whispered, watching his lips come closer to hers and closing her eyes in anticipation. “What would you do?”

Instead of the kiss she was expecting, she found herself dumped onto the floor as he stood up saying, “Turn you over my knee and make that delectable little arse rosy red.”

From her position on the floor, Buffy glared up at him.

“Promises, promises,” she huffed.

“That it is, love. That it is.” He smiled and offered her his hand, pulling her to her feet and into a tight embrace. He gave her the delayed kiss she’d been looking for and enjoyed the way her body responded to him so quickly. With a barely-audible whimper, she melted into him, trusting his strong arms to hold her up as her knees weakened. His immediately noticeable response to her turned her whimper into a satisfied sigh as he tightened his hold and whispered into her ear, “What do you say, love? Time to take a break from all this sittin’ and readin’?”

Her reply was to wrap one leg around his waist and pull herself against the bulge in his pants. He dropped his hands to her ass and hoisted her up so that both legs were around his hips and her warm crotch was pressed against him. After a few moments of panting and dry-humping, he let her slide down his body so that he could unfasten her jeans and his. Buffy moved backwards, pulling him towards the table full of books, but before she could jump up on it, he stopped her.

“Oi, slayer! Not on my books!” At the horrified look on his face, she shook her head and burst into laughter.

“Oh my god! You are turning into a real watcher! Just listen to yourself, Giles Jr.”

“Bite your tongue!”

“Why don’t you bite it?” she challenged, sliding her jeans down her legs.

With a growl, he picked her up and strode out of their improvised library and into the bedroom, throwing her down on the bed so hard that she bounced. Still giggling, Buffy quickly shed the rest of her clothes and waited for him to join her in the big, sturdy bed that had been their first purchase as a couple.

Dropping his pants to the floor and tearing his tee shirt off over his head, he leapt into the air and across the space separating them. He landed with admirable precision, one hand on either side of her head and with his legs just outside hers, holding himself up so as not to knock the wind out of her with his weight. He shifted into his game face and growled, “Now where is that tongue you wanted me to bite?”

“Right here,” Buffy giggled, sending her tongue darting out at him and then quickly snatching it back inside her tightly closed mouth. “Oops! You missed it!”

“Is that so,” he purred as he lowered his hips and began to rub his erection against her, teasing at her lips until her thighs parted for him and he could touch the moistened flesh hidden within. When Buffy opened her mouth in a silent “Oh!” he slipped his tongue in and kissed her, taking care not to cut her lips with his fangs.

In spite of the care he was taking and the way she was distracting him by arching her body against his, he felt her tongue glide across one of his sharp fangs and the heady taste of slayer blood soon filled his mouth. Making a sound somewhere between a whimper and a snarl, he collapsed upon her, allowing his cock to seek the opening that she was trying so hard to present. Buffy’s arms and legs came around his body as she pulled him in and began the gentle squeezing that she knew he loved.

The taste of her blood left him with no ability to resist her actions, and he was soon pounding into her and gasping her name as she met him thrust for thrust. Their mouths met and parted; Buffy’s need for air and Spike’s need to murmur his adoration and appreciation making it impossible for them to continue the deep kisses for any length of time.

When he felt Buffy begin to clench around him and tremble with her release, he allowed himself two small sips from her throat before he exploded within her, calling her name as he did so.

They shuddered together, connected both physically and mentally as their mutual claim sent emotions back and forth between them in a seemingly unending spiral of sensation. With a final gasp, he buried his face in her neck and allowed his full weight to press her into the mattress. Rather than try to move him, Buffy relaxed her limbs completely and enjoyed the sensation of being totally beneath him – skin to skin from head to toe.

Eventually, his weight and her desire to breathe became factors and she had to give him a little nudge, saying with true regret, “As much as I like feeling you against me like this, even slayers need to breathe every once in a while.”

“Sorry, love,” he said, immediately rolling off her, pulling her with him so that she was draped across his body with her head on his chest. “I didn’t mean to smother you.”

“You didn’t. I’d stay like that forever if we could figure out how to do it without squishing me.”

“Don’t you think you’d get hungry after a while?” he teased, stroking her back with one hand and holding her possessively close with the other.

“Probably,” she agreed, snuggling into his side. “That was kind of a quickie, wasn’t it?”

“Too fast for you?” All cockiness was gone as he worried that he’d disappointed her.

“Were you paying attention at all?”

“Yeah, I was paying attention, but if you think it was too fast--”

“Doofus,” she said fondly, kissing his chest and running her tongue across his nipple. “I didn’t say it was too fast. I just said it was a quickie. Isn’t that what a quickie is? When we both get off really fast?”

“I suppose so,” he agreed reluctantly. “’s not like I’ve had a lot of experience with quickies…”

“Bragger!”

He laughed and pulled her against him tightly. “Not bragging, love. Just sayin’, don’t know of anyone else could ever get me off that fast. You’re my one in a million.”

“You’ve had a million women?”

“What? No! It’s just an expression. Bloody hell, Slayer, are you trying to start an argument?”

“Maybe,” she admitted. “Anything’s better than going back to those boring old books.”

“It’s almost dark, love. Let’s get some dinner in us and go out for some hunting. That ought to brighten up your day – we’ll find something for you to kill.”

“Slay,” she said firmly. “I don’t kill, I slay.”

“Tomato, tomahto, love. They’re just as dead, aren’t they?”

“No. Sometimes they’re dusty.” She fixed him with what she hoped was an intimidating glare, somewhat spoiled by being on a face with kiss-swollen lips on a thoroughly limp, naked body.

Instead of apologizing or arguing, he just smiled and stroked her hair. “I love you, Buffy. Love you so much it scares me.”

Her face softened and she smiled shyly back at him. “I love you, too, William. But it doesn’t scare me; it makes me happy.”

“Makes me happy, too, sweetheart. I don’t think I’ve ever been this happy in my life – or unlife.”