Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the wait.. regrouping after the .. well embarassing posting of the new fic. Maybe I'll try it again some other time. For now.. the continuing saga of a vamp with way too much clothing...
"Then, one morning I was heading back to my flat, and there he was. I tried to walk away, but he wouldn't let me. I listened to him trying to convince me he loved me. Then he asked me to kiss him."

She looked into Buffy's eyes and continued. "It was a bet, you see. If I kissed him, and didn't feel anything, he would leave. God, I was scared. It's almost funny to think about it now. I wasn't scared of him. My fear was of myself. I already knew I cared about him. It's why I tried to avoid him." Sam fingered her wedding ring. "I lost the bet, I'm sure you guessed. After that, it was a matter of trying to keep our relationship a secret.”

Sam had the look of deep concentration on her face. “I knew...or at least I thought, that Crawford would kill Ashton himself if he knew what was happening. As the months wore on, there was no doubt I was in love with Ashton, and it was killing me."

Buffy looked up at those words. This she understood. Feeling how wrong it is all of the time. Your duty, your birthright all in question because your heart won't do as it's told. Hiding it from people, even yourself for as long as you can. Then nothing makes you feel better. Not even the love.

"I was dying inside. He couldn't tell, but I knew I was. I wanted to get away. My prayers were answered when our side truly began gaining ground. So many attacks were pushing back the human enemies, and brought the first signs of hope back into so many hearts that had given up. The sightings of Demons began to lessen, and I would be going home to America soon. I could get away from him..."


Excerpt from: "Akoshta-CH 14- A Slayer's Story" by Kaylorin

Prologue

Buffy tumbled head over heels as she was pulled further into the vortex still swirling around her. She couldn't feel the barriers of the tunnel but watched the red, green and white lights change their motion as she passed through. All the while trying to keep her eyes on the tiny glowing spark traveling ahead of her. The crystal.

At first she was alone. The moment she passed into the light, she lost all connection to the vampire who'd been by her side for years now. A vampire no longer, she still sensed his presence with ease if he was near. The loss of that connection had distracted her at first, but just as she accepted it, he was there. Not beside her, but close. She knew he'd leapt in after her.

Buffy tried to will herself to pass through more quickly, but to no avail. Whatever energy was causing her to pass through, it had nothing to do with her movements or will.

"Buffy!"

It was a yelled and frantic call, but it reached her ears as a whisper.

"It's ok, Spike. I'm ok! I can still see the crystal!" she tried to call behind her. She wasn't sure if he could hear her, but it was the best she could do.

Then the tiny spark flashed as it hit the side of the vortex and was out of her sight as it was pulled through.

"No!" she screamed before being forced out through the wall as well.

The light was gone and darkness surrounded her as Buffy tumbled downward then rolled as she hit the hard wet ground. She stopped when another object impeded her tumble forward.

"Oomph," she said as her rear hit a brick wall. She rubbed the back of her head then her rump as she scanned the bricks, damp from recent rain, for the small green crystal. All at once she sensed it.

Vampires. Not far at all and heading this way. But there was something else. Or to be more precise, someone else.

Buffy spun on her knees to see a figure moving in the dark. It leaned down, and Buffy followed its movement's aim, her eyes now seeing the crystal lying in a puddle.

She pushed herself up off the ground, hoping she'd be able to find her balance before the dark form moved in for an attack.

But there was no problem. She knew as she stood that she was not permanently hurt, and this might be the easiest fight in her career.

"I can't let you have that." She took a step forward but was knocked over from behind by another dark figure.

"Oh Bloody Hell!!" Spike cursed as his back also hit the brick wall with a crack. He pushed himself from the wall only to sit in another muddy puddle.

He looked at his new position. "Not much of a landing."

Buffy, now flat on her face, jumped up as quickly as possible, but the figure was gone, along with the crystal.

She turned and looked down at the now soaking wet blonde at her feet. She placed her hands firmly on her hips. "Smooth move."

"What'd I do?" He asked offended.

Buffy pointed down the ally. "You knocked me down before I could stop whoever that was from running off with the crystal."

Spike got off the ground and began to push the dirt and muddy water off of his clothing with little luck. "Well how was I to know? Just got shoved out of that-" He turned to where they'd fallen from to see another brick wall. The vortex was gone. "Where'd it go?"

Buffy looked at the wall as well. "I don't know, but we can't leave now anyway. We need to find out who has the crystal and get it back before they use it." She gazed back down the ally to where the figure had been, then back to Spike. "And finding out where we are would be nice, too."

Spike glanced over his shoulders to where Buffy had been looking. "No time for that. We got ourselves some company."

She turned again and saw five vampires, then ten, then fifteen coming up the alley to them. “Crap.”

The leader was dirty and dressed in what seemed to be torn leftovers of a dress shirt and trousers. His companions looked no better off, all in dirty brown rags. Buffy guessed at one time they had been clothing, and, in all likelihood, in more than one color. But these vampires looked different than the kind she was used to. Dirty, hungry and unkempt

"Oh look, a welcoming committee," Buffy let the stake always hidden in her sleeve slip down her arm to her waiting grasp.

Spike pulled one from his duster's pocket and moved closer to her. Another five vampires came into view. "Buffy?"

"We can't take them. Not all of them," Buffy said in a whispered voice. "They look weak, but they're hungry. I can smell it."

The two blondes watched as they were forced to step backwards, looking for an easy way out. They were trapped, with a wall behind them. Their only route to escape was the rooftops if they could only reach them.

They had little time to contemplate the beginnings of the idea when another dark form fell from above them, dropping gracefully to the ground just a few feet ahead of them.

The longhaired gentleman looked behind him when the vampires halted their advance on the defenseless people in the alley, taking an extra long glare at the two strangers after the first. He then turned back to the menace before him.

"Ashton," The dirty leader called. "Where's your bitch? She's always fun for a little brawl."

The vampire dressed handsomely in black slacks and a deep blue sweater growled at the dirty one. "She would never engage in combat with the likes of you," he said in English with a strong Russian accent.

"Never say never." They all heard a female voice from the top of the wall the vortex had pushed Buffy and Spike out through.

She crouched low, scanning the newcomer humans behind the vampire who'd made it his job to try to protect her. She stood back up slowly, not sure what to make of the people who seemed to have been preparing to fight vampires.

"Sam," Buffy said, wide eyed.

Spike looked from his love to the woman looming overhead. "You sure, pet?"

Buffy nodded as she stared at the hem of the woman's pant leg. It had traveled upward when she’s crouched just enough to show a scar, new and still red, on her calf. "I'm sure."

"Well then." Spike said as he stepped up beside the vampire. "'D say our chances just improved."

Ashton turned his head to see the blonde man now beside him. On his other side, he felt the female.

"Five each. That should be fair." Buffy told Spike. She looked up to Sam and nodded that Spike and she could handle their load.

Sam, still unsure of who or why these visitors were, leapt down and stood beside Buffy.

The dirty vampire watched them form a line of defense then laughed. "These humans won't help you, Slay-" He stopped mid-sentence and glared at Buffy. "That's impossible."

"'S really not, mate," Spike said and lunged towards the offensive smelling vampire. Buffy flew forward, feet flying.

Ashton and Sam only waited a moment, before deciding not to question the situation and joined the battle.

~~`~~

Xander pulled up to the Summers home and into the drive. Dawn was quiet in the seat beside him, just staring at the house.

They'd all gone to Willow's and Tara's place, knowing that Dawn wouldn't want to go home without Buffy and Spike. Anya was there still, researching with the two ladies.
Xander tried to force a smile. "It's ok, Dawn. Willow and Tara are already working on how to get them back."

"And if anyone can do it, it's Willow. We already went over this, Xander. I get it, but I can still be scared." She opened the car door and got out, making sure to shut it with a little more force then necessary.

He got out as well and followed her up the steps, waiting while she unlocked the door. "Of course you can be scared. I'm just saying don't worry."

They walked in once the lock unhinged. Dawn raised her eyebrows at him. "Ok, I'll be scared, but I won't worry." She shook her head and headed up the stairs while Xander shut the door.

"Just get what you need, and I'll get you back to Tara's and Will's," Xander yelled when she took more than the five seconds he thought it should.

"Jeez. I'm a girl. I'm supposed to take forever," she yelled back at him.

He walked around the familiar family room and slumped into the chair.

He was scared. As much as he wanted to be the tough guy this time, he was freaking out on the inside. Anya could tell. Had promised him as much sex as was needed to make him feel better. He had to grin at the idea; then he remembered why he was scared.

Not knowing. It was one of those things he just hated accepting, ever since he'd met Buffy. He and Willow had become people out of some loops, but now were tied in with one that almost no one knew about.

It didn't make up for not being invited to big parties, or having girls laugh in his face during his early career as a student, but it had helped. Even now, as an adult, married and working in a job he loved, he still got to be part of the crowd. A crowd he had been in on from the beginning. And this crowd, they got things done. They would get Buffy back… and Spike.

He had to smile again, wondering at how weird it was that he was also scared for Spike.

Xander looked towards the stairs again, noting the upper level was now quiet. "Dawnie?"

"I'm almost done," she said.

He heard movement again and decided pacing was an activity worth doing. It was then that he saw a piece of paper sitting on the table by the couch, one he thought might be his, but when he looked at the warehouse order and delivery receipt, he realized what it was. Spike had missed delivery of some items. Without thinking, Xander folded the slip and put it in his pocket.

Dawn came flying down the steps just then with a suitcase and backpack holding her things. "Ok. I'm packed. Got enough stuff for a week," she said. "Just in case."

Xander again tried to force his smile. "Got your books, too?"

She nodded and slid the strap of her bag on her shoulder. Xander picked up her suitcase, and the two headed back into the night.

~~`~~

Giles stood in the hallway with Christian. "Take your time, son."

The boy stood a few feet away directly in front of a door. "It's not as hard as you may think, sir. One more moment, and I may have it." He scribbled a few words down on the notepad.

Giles turned when he heard the couple walking up behind him. He turned to see Michelle, a bag and suitcase in hand, heading towards him with Richard at her side. The young man had two suitcases and a satchel as well.

They stopped just in front of him and unloaded their burdens to the floor. Michelle looked past the Head to her friend reciting something in front of a door. "Why are we here, sir?" she asked.

Giles smiled at her. "Because I wanted you to take the quickest route."

"It's ready, Mr. Giles." Christian walked to them.

"Ah, good." Rupert directed the new arrivals to the door and began to explain. "I had Christian construct a new doorway. One that will lead you directly to Sunnydale."

Richard and Michelle both looked a bit shocked at the news.

"It wasn't hard at all. Really," Christian explained. "Just some mild adjustments to a spell that was used to bring the Watchers to this place," he said very matter-of-factly.

"That's still impressive," Richard said. "I'm sure Dawn would like to hear about it."

At the mention of the young sister of the Slayer, Christian's cheeks reddened and he turned his back, walking to his pile of bags against the opposite wall.

"Richard," Michelle chastised him lightly, "I do not think you have much room to talk when it comes to women."

They heard Christian snicker.

"Please," Giles tried to avert their attention, "You must pay attention. I swear, Buffy did more damage than good here. To you three especially." He shook his head, but still enjoyed the easy comradery among the newly formed group.

They settled down, and Richard looked at Michelle one last time before turning his attention back to their elder. "Sorry, Mr. Giles. Please, go on."

Rupert nodded. "Very well then. I have here the addresses of Xander, Willow and Buffy. You may find Anya at the magic shop. It's the last address. Have you all reviewed the layout of Sunnydale?"

They nodded simultaneously, and Richard pulled a folded map from his inside jacket pocket.

"Good." Giles gave them one more once over. He'd told them to dress down as much as possible so they could easily blend into the Sunnydale background. Gone were the tweed slacks and skirt. In their places were blue jeans. The dress shirts were gone as well, replaced with different styles of tees.

The children had these clothes; they just weren't used as often. Richard wore tennis shoes and a denim jacket. Michelle had a light blue faux- leather jacket with black boots. Christian opted for a dark blue trench coat and Docs.

"Well then, good luck." Giles handed them each a leather wrist band, much like the one's they'd seen the Slayer and the vampire wear. The stones were uncut though, just raw stones wrapped and held in place by the leather that would wrap around their wrists.

Once each was secure, Christian began the final stage of creating the door.
"Our entrance blessed, our exit granted. Our exit blessed, our entrance granted."

He looked back at his friends then opened the door. It was still night on the other side. Not early morning but night. The tombstones that lined the green grass were interrupted by a crypt here and there. One by one, Michelle, Richard and Christian picked up their luggage and gave Giles a final look and a smile, before passing through the doorway to another country.

~~`~~

Sam sat in her darkened kitchen, the kitten calendar laid out in front of her.
She'd circled the date after Buffy left months ago. Her aged mind was remembering something that happened 60 years ago. She recalled the true moment she first met Buffy Summers and a date that she'd kept in her memory since the first time she'd heard it.
Soon she would leave this place.


Chapter End Notes:
I kinda like that start personally. What do you think??