Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I own nothing, but the plot. Everything else belongs to Joss Whedon and the WB.

**Recently read ~PS I Love You~ so if you see any similarities (because I can feel them brewing in my head) I apologize, but that's why.
Spike rubbed at his temples, hoping that the familiar ache would just die away. It rarely did, but he still hoped. The last thing he needed was two over worried Summers girls. Not that he didn’t enjoy the concern Buffy had come to show him since the chip had started malfunctioning, he just didn’t want to have to deal with it tonight. Dawn had insisted they have a game night, which Buffy had agreed to since it was ‘normal’ and Spike had somehow gotten roped into it. Everyone else was out enjoying themselves while they stayed in, taking in a quiet evening.

“You’re turn, Spike.” Dawn said, taking his attention, momentarily, off of the increasing pain in his head. He could feel the Slayer’s eyes on him as he picked up the dice.

“See somethin’ ya like, pet?” she rolled her eyes.

“Just roll, Spike.” He started shaking the two small cubes in his hand before they dropped. He ignored them as he concentrated on the excruciating shocks going through his brain. The voices of the girls barely made it past the pain filled haze. As everything started to fade around him he briefly noted the gentle had going through his hair.



Beeping was the first thing he noticed when he started coming to. He audibly groaned.

“You’re awake.” Immediately recognizing the voice, he groaned again.

“Yeah, Peaches, I’m awake.” He opened his eyes to see Angel sitting in a chair, which happened to be next to the bed he was lying in.

“Nice to see you’re still angry with me.” His voice was laced with sarcasm.

“Would ya like to tell me why you’re ‘ere? And where’s Buffy?” Angel rolled his eyes at the first question and decided to ignore it.

“I called Buffy, she’s on her way. By the way, next time you pull a stunt like that, let me know.”

“Stunt? I bloody passed out is all.”

“Yeah, after getting hit by the car.”

“Huh?” Spike looked at him with confusion. This time Angel looked concerned.

“You don’t remember?” Angel took the look he was given as a ‘no’.

“You were standing in the middle of the street, Will, yelling at me. Not even sure I remember what it was about. Then, the car seemed to come out of nowhere. There was no time for you to move.” The blond gave him a blank stare for a minute.

“A car, I bloody got hit by a car? All this time I thought it was just me headache that almost did me in.” he said with a laugh. Angel wasn’t laughing though.

“I’ll go tell the doctor your awake.” He said stiffly as he stood up and left the room.

Spike barely watched as he left. The machine next to him had drawn his attention. He really wanted it to go away. He had too many bad memories involving beeping machines and him. Last time he’d been near one he’d wound up with a chip in his head. The torture had even worsened when he was hooked up to one then too. He gave an involuntary shudder at the memory.

“Are you cold, Mr. Pratt?” he looked over sharply at the source of the voice. It was her, the one who had been giving all the orders.

“No.” he said shortly.

“Alright good. Would you like me to wait for you wife before I tell you the results of the tests?” he gave her a look.

“Wife?”

“She’s talking about Buffy.” Angel told him as though he were stupid.

“Buffy, my wife?” he questioned incredulously.

“Don’t you remember?” she was looking at him with concern.

“Um, yeah, ‘course. Why wouldn’t I remember somethin’ like that?”

“Will, you don’t have to get upset with the doctor. She’s just trying to help.”

“Oh, go away, Peaches. Go brood or somethin’.” Although, honestly, he didn’t want to be left alone with the doctor. Angel didn’t leave though, but Spike was sure he was brooding. It made him smile. His smile turned to a look of shock when a head of blond came rushing into the room. He watched as she punched Angel in the arm.

“You are never to scare me like that again or I’ll hurt you.”

“Nice to see you too, Buffy.” He said rolling his eyes as he pulled her into a hug. Her green eyes then turned to Spike, who was looking at her with a mixture of wonder, confusion and, she almost laughed at it, a hint jealousy.

“Don’t make Angel call me again telling me you’re in the hospital.” She said before giving him a hug and kiss, then she whispered, “I won’t be able to handle it next time.”

Spike reached up and brushed away a few tears that had escaped to cascade down her cheeks. “Don’t cry, luv.”

She straightened up and briskly wiped them away.

“Now that you’re here, Mrs. Pratt, would you like for me to go over the results?” Buffy turned and looked at her.

“Results?”

“We thought it best to make sure that the impact of the car didn’t do anything to the tumor.”

“Right of course.” She took Spike’s hand, intertwining her fingers with his.

“Alright.

“Although the tumor is still growing, the accident doesn’t seem to have effected it. William has a mild concussion, but nothing serious.” She looked up from her chart.

“That’s it? Can we go ‘ome now?”

“Spike, don’t be rude.”

“Well, sorry, luv, but don’t exactly like ‘ospitals now.” She smiled sadly at him and squeezed his hand.

“I know.” Spike was sure he could use to the love she was showing him. He didn’t care if he was dreaming or if this was some alternate reality, just that *his* Buffy loved him. He looked, somewhat warily, at Doctor Walsh, when he heard her speaking again.

“William is free to go home now as long as he makes sure to rest and doesn't over exert himself.”

“I’ll make sure he does that.”

“Right, here ya know.” They ignored him though.

“I’ll go draw up the paperwork and you can come sign for his release. See you later, Mr. Pratt.” Doctor Walsh walked out, Buffy following close behind after giving him another kiss.

“I really don’t like that woman.” Spike said once the two had gone.

“I think the feeling’s mutual.” Angel said with a laugh.

“So why does she take care of me?”

“’cause she’s the best neurologist here in LA.”

“Someone should’ve told her to work on people skills while she was digging into brains at the university.”

“Got that right.” He let out a sigh. “How are you feeling?” Spike raised an eyebrow.

“Not getting all emotional or feeling oriented with you, Peaches. No offense.”

“You’re a serious brat sometimes, no matter how old you are.” Before a fight could break out and Spike could question his statement, Buffy returned.

“Ready to go home?”

“You know it, luv.”

“Remember, we’re being good today, no over exerting yourself.”

“’course.”

“Want me to pull your car around while they unhook him?” Angel asked, pointing question at Buffy.

“Sure, didn’t you drive?”

“Uh, no, came by ambulance.”

“Oh…Alright then. The keys are in my purse.” Angel grabbed the keys before leaving the room.

“He’s gonna go brood now isn’t ‘e?” Spike questioned with a smirk, while the two waited for a nurse to come in to take him off the of the machines.

“He might. He’s allowed though. It’s not easy on him.”

“What do you mean, luv?” he asked, noting the sad look in her eyes. It was his turn to reach out and grab her hand. She looked sharply at him.

“Losing you. You’re his brother. I know he’s trying to be strong, but before you got sick he was a lot happier.”

“Not gone yet. Still got a bit of life in me…hey, I got life in me, I’m alive, ‘eartbeat and all.” It was as if suddenly he realized that whatever dream world he’d been placed in, he was alive. He wasn’t a demonic creature of the night that people had to fear, he was a normal, maybe, human being, with life flowing freely through his veins and a heartbeat reminding him he was alive.

“Yeah, you’re alive…glad that still gets you excited.” The euphoria of being alive dissipated as it hit him that he was dying here.

“’ow long ‘ave I got?”

“Walsh thinks about a year.”

“Then we’ll make it the best year.” She smiled.

“I know you will.”


Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think of this story.