Chapter 2


William had dropped his books in the quad again. He had always been clumsy, or at least just too wrapped up in his own world. He was a student before anything else. His thirst for knowledge took precedence over everything. He was officially a nerd.

He pushed his small wire rimmed glasses back up his nose as he bent down to pick up his books. His frustration level only grew, as no one stopped to help him. He was exhausted. He had not been getting enough sleep because of his party animal roommate, Xander. He came in at all hours; loud, uncaring that William was sleeping, or studying. He really wanted to move out, but where was he going to find an affordable place close to the campus? Gathering all his books and papers, he found a bench to sit down and get sorted before his next class.

Sitting on the bench, he saw a gorgeous blond posting a flyer on the bulletin board. She was the type of girl he only dreamed about. He would never have the courage to talk to someone like her. He watched her as she walked away, his eyes falling to her tight bottom encased in workout pants. Blushing at his line of thought, he got his things and walked over to the board to see what she had posted.

Her flyer was on notebook paper, and was an ad for a roommate. He chuckled to himself that she would never accept him as someone to live with, let alone her and another woman. The ad indicated that they were looking for a man, probably someone to scare off threats, make them feel safe. He looked down at his, what he considered scrawny, physique. He worked out and was muscular, but never could bulk up. No way would they ever consider him. He looked back to the flyer again, and without thinking, he tore one of the tabs with the phone numbers on it off and tucked it into his pocket. As much as he would love to move, he would never have the courage to call her. He had no idea why he took the phone numbers but patted his pocket and continued onto class.

Later, back in his dorm room, he settled in at his desk, computer on, and started to study. Xander was out, so the room was quiet for a change. He was an hour into his research paper for his English lit class when Xander and his loud buddies arrived.

“Xander, is your roommate a fag?” asked one of his drunken idiots of a friend.

“Nah, he’s just a nerd. Aren’t you, Nerd Boy?” Xander walked over to him and ruffled his curly hair into a huge mess.

“Damn it, Xander, I asked you not to touch me. Now, I am trying to study, do you think you and your friends could go elsewhere?”

“I was thinking we’d play video games for a while and drink a few beers,” Xander replied as he tossed cans of beer to his buddies. “Besides, you always get to hang out here. Not my fault you waste all your time studying.”

William angrily stood up, grabbed his things, mumbled something under his breath and slammed the door on his way out.

He checked his watch, it was only 8:30 in the evening, the library was open till midnight, so at least he could go there and study. He was so angry with Xander and his friends. He needed to move out of there, and soon. He decided on his walk across campus that he would call the girls about the ad from his cell as soon as he got to the library.

William arrived at the library and it was packed. He finally found a spot at a table that was not at all quiet. He set his stuff down, opened his laptop and walked to a quiet section in the stacks to make his call. Digging out the tab of the flyer, he carefully dialed the number for Buffy and waited for someone to answer.

Buffy was walking up the steps to her front door carrying two bags of Chinese food when she heard her cell phone ring. Juggling the food, and her messenger bag, she managed to grab the phone and answer it before it went to voicemail.

“Hello!” she answered quickly as Cordy opened the door for her and took the food out of her hands.

“H-Hi, my name i-is William. I was c-calling about your room for rent. I-Is is it still a-available?” Oh my God! Could you possibly stutter more? he asked himself.

“Yes, it’s still available. It’s a private bedroom, but a shared bath with the 2 of us. Are you a student at UCS?”

“Yes, I’m in my second year there. I need to move out of the dorms, my roommate is driving me mad.”

Buffy giggled at his use of mad, and worked out that, judging by his accent, he was English. “Would you like to come take a look at it? We are about a 10-minute walk or a 20-minute bus ride from campus. Or if you want, I have class tomorrow, I can meet you and drive you back when we’re done.” Cordy was now very interested in Buffy’s conversation regarding a possible roommate. She was practically bouncing trying to get Buffy to tell her anything.

Holy crap! Did this girl just offer to pick him up? Was this the blond from the bulletin board? He felt faint. “Tomorrow s-sounds great, what time and where should we meet?” he managed to get out almost without a stutter.

“How about the bulletin board at 11am. I will have my blond hair in a pony tail, and I will be wearing an orange jacket. Sound ok? What should I be looking for?”

William didn’t know how to describe himself. “My hair is very light blond. And I wear glasses… how about I just look for you and introduce myself?” His mind was drawing a blank at what to wear or what he had in his closet..

“Sounds fine to me. I will be on the bench waiting at 11 o’clock. See you then. Oh, by the way, my name is Buffy. See you tomorrow.”