Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, so... I started this fic a long time ago, while I was still writing When She Smiles and I didn't think that I would go on with this fic. But earlier today, I was looking at all of the fics I have started and I really like the idea for this on so I am going to go with it. I hope you all enjoy! Thank you to PaganBaby for beta'ing! You did an awesome job, hun!! *hugs tight* Xaphania made the LOVELY banner!! She does wonders with banners!! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!! *smooch*
Lorne looked at the tiny slip of a girl in front of him. She was petite and had the prettiest eyes he had seen in a while. So young and vibrant. When he had seen her resume, he wasn't too sure about letting someone with little experience about working with children into the camp. But judging by her character, she would do just great.

"So, we need a nickname for you, cupcake," he said with a smile and handed her the list of remaining names. "That's what we have left. Take your pick."

"Uhm.. How about... Willow? No, too tree-ish. Fizz? Nah, to soft-drinky. Buf-fy. Buffy. I like that one. Can I have Buffy?" she asked and did a little bounce in her seat.

"Sure, sunshine. Buffy it is. Alrighty, I will make you up a nametag," he chuckled and looked down at another list. "I already have your parents' numbers. You can get your visor on your first day. Great!" he smiled a perfect smile, looking up at his new employee, and thrust his hand out for a handshake."You will get your nametag, and a list of things to bring along with a campground package that will explain your duties and such in the mail. I think that is all for today. Welcome to the Caritas crew!" The smile was still shining as she let go of his hand.

"Thank you, Lorne, you won't regret it!" She matched his smile with one of her own and turned to walk out the door. "You don't mind if I take a walk around do you? My father won't be here to pick me up for a couple more minutes and I would like to get reacquainted with the grounds again."

"Sure, not a problem."

"Thanks again, Lorne." She waved and left his office.

She couldn't help but hold her smile all the way down to the docks. She loved coming her here as a child. Her mother had made her go the first year, with promises of anything she wanted upon her return. She had gone reluctantly, but as soon as she got there she quickly changed her mind about how boring her summer was going to be. Everything about this place was beautiful. The fields were a vibrant green and dotted with purple honeysuckle and yellow daisies. The cabins were set up in different areas. On the right side, the boys' cabins were set up, along with the boys' washroom and various activity centers. On the left, it was the same except for the cabins were for the girls. The cabins had different names on them for the different groups. Buffy wasn't sure which one she would be in charge of, but she remembered which one she was in.

The Swans. Maybe she would get lucky and be the leader of The Swans. She always loved that group, it seemed like Lorne would put all the girls with the same type of personality together. She had always found it weird that he just knew where the girls belonged.

Sometimes there would be fights, but it was all settled quickly. They were all beautiful girls, but they all had an attitude the devil himself would bargain for. Even most of the girls didn't want to mess with each other in fear of having their heads bitten off.. Hence, The Swans. Beautiful, yet vicious.

A whole bunch of memories started to flicker through her mind. Some of them with the girls in her group, but most of them were about him. The first boy that didn't make her think about cooties. The first boy she shared a bond with besides her dad. He was her best friend. In some ways she still thinks of him as her best friend, even thought she hadn't seen him in almost five years.

She sat down on the dock, slipping off her sandals to dangle her toes in the water. She brought her hand up and swiped the hair that fell out of her ponytail behind her ear. She concentrated on the first day she met him, eleven years ago.

~FLASHBACK~

Everything was new to her. Her family didn't generally go camping. She had always been a city girl, her version of camping was going out to the beach house and sleeping in a tent in her backyard. So when she stepped off the bus and walked under the "Caritas Summer Camp" welcome banner, she breathed in the country air and smiled. Everyone was running around each other, creating their own games as they waited to be told what group they would be in. She knew that she would have fun.

A redheaded girl came up to her and took her hand and smiled. "Hi, I'm Rose. Want to be best friends?"

"I'm Elizabeth, but you can call me Liz. I would very much like to be your best friend." She smiled back at Rose and they walked to where the rest of the kids were settling on the ground. "Looks like they are putting everyone in groups now. I hope we get the same group!" Liz giggled and sat down with Rose, never letting go of her hand.

~~~~~

Liz and Rose were split up. Liz was put into The Swans and Rose got put into The Finches. They were both sad that they were getting split up so soon, but they knew that they would find each other every morning and spend the day together.

Right now, they were in the cafeteria cabin. All the kids had to sit in their groups while they waited to be called for their lunches, but the groups were allowed to mingle afterward. As soon as Liz picked out what she wanted to eat, she found Rose and sat beside her. "Hey. Who are these people?" she asked and pointed to the three boys and the other girl.

"Hey, I'm Liam!" The boy on the far right introduced himself first. He had brown hair and dirty hands.

"Hey. I'm Liz. Don't you think you should wash your hands before you touch your food?" she asked him and he looked down at his hands and shrugged.

"I'm a man. I'm supposed to be dirty!" he said, and pounded a fist to his chest.

"Correction, you’re a boy. You have to of kissed a girl to be able to call yourself a man, Liam. Besides, you can still be clean and call yourself a man."

The boy beside him smiled and looked at Liz. "I'm Alex. My hands are clean." He held out a hand for her to shake.

Liz took his hand and giggled again. "Nice to meet you!" She let go of his hand and looked at the next boy sitting beside Alex. He was shy, she could figure that out by the way he looked at her, blushed then ducked his head fast. He mumbled something she wasn't able to hear. She was about to ask him when the girl beside Rose leaned over the table and caught her eye.

"Hey Liz, I'm Faith. I think we were put in the same group. I sleep under you." She smiled and sat back in her seat.

Liz nodded at her, "Yes I saw you in my group. Sorry I didn't get to say anything to you earlier. I'm sure we will be good friends." She looked back to the shy boy and leaned closer to him. "What's your name?"

He reluctantly looked up at her and blushed again. Liz found it really cute and she smiled at him kindly, urging him to talk to her. She really wanted to know this boy. She could tell that they were going to be great friends. "I-I'm William. I'm s-sorry I'm s-so shy," he stuttered and looked down at his hands in his lap.

Liz picked up her tray and walked around the table to sit beside him. "It's ok. I like your shyness." She giggled when he looked up at her in shock. "I think we are going to be best friends!" She leaned over and hugged him.

The first day and she already had two best friends; William and Rose. She also had Liam, Alex and Faith to hang out with. Yes, this summer was going to be a lot of fun.

~END FLASHBACK~

TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Please leave me a little review so I can know to keep going with this fic. = )