Author's Chapter Notes:
Yes...my muse wanted another rewrite of an episode! I hope you all enjoy. Another chapter will be coming soon. thanks Sanity!
“I thought you should know-“

Spike’s concerned gaze met with Buffy’s, which was filled with fury and rimmed with unshed tears. Before she could speak, she fled into the night. Each laborious stride that met with the pavement was a combinational force of a woman scorned and slayer strength. Buffy pushed her limbs to continue their brutal pace as she sprinted through the darkened streets of Sunnydale. She remained fixated upon the memories of Riley infidelity and Spike’s words. Her legs set a course for destinations unknown.

Harsh pants of breath and the pounding tattoo of her heart did not drown out the voices reverberating through her mind. “Harder!”… “I thought you should know...” Each voice echoed within.  The roles were reversed now…one demanding, one caring.

Before realization set in, Buffy found herself standing in a local playground, stopping almost instantly. Surrounding her were eerie skeletons of metal. In the light of the day, these formed slides, swings and the like. In the dark, as everything else in her world, nothing was as it seemed.

Exhausted, Buffy went over to the merry go round. Once seated, the internal dam that held all her emotions back, burst. She released her long held tears. Her form shook with the force of torrent of emotions that surged forward: pain, deceit, and confusion. She felt lost, swept away - broken.

Time seemed to have no meaning. Only feelings and tears marked each minute that passed. Soon her tears slowed. Cries lessened. With a deep breath, Buffy brought forward her inner strength. She began to collect herself. Gather the pieces of her dismantled life. Once she felt she could move forward, she called out into the darkness,

“Spike, you can come out now!” All remained for several moments, until from within the shadows, a halo of platinum locks became visible.

“Um…yeah…wasn’t trying to pry. Just wanted to make sure you were alright slayer,” Spike’s responded quietly, while his head remained down. His heavy boots played with the blades of grass underfoot.

“Why?” Buffy questioned. Her gaze held on the now silent vampire before her. Once her question reached him, Spike’s gaze moved from the ground to the woman before him.

“Why, what slayer? ‘Why’ is a very general question. You need to be a tad more specific.” Spike’s jaw ticked slightly, with the response he envisioned, she would give, or more so the punch that would surely follow.

“Why did you take me there? Why was he there? What is he getting from her that I didn’t give him?”

Buffy’s voice remained strong, until the last question, which fell from her lips in a mere whisper.

Spike’s gaze widened slightly, while her queries spilled forward. Deciding to take the safest question first, Spike responded,

“Why was he there? Well, you saw the place. It was designed for humans that are looking for the thrill of the bite, without death that usually accompanies it. As for why did I take you there? I didn’t want solider boy to continue to make you look the fool!” Golden, demonic eyes flashed briefly, while Spike bit out the second answer.

“And the third question?”

Buffy’s soft whisper fell upon Spike’s sensitive ears. Her eyes shimmered slightly with renewed tears, as she awaited his response.

The anger he felt moments before vanished while his gaze remained fixed on her. Spike took several steps forward then he sat next to her. Buffy shifted slightly, turning toward him. Spike attempted through his gaze and words, to reveal all the feelings he possessed for this tiny warrior.

“Luv, you’re not the one who’s lacking, it’s him. He feels inadequate because you’re not some damsel in distress who needs some big, strong man to keep her safe. In addition, he once possessed strength and power he no longer has. Both reasons combined, are making him feel emasculated. These feelings are projected onto you...” Buffy’s sculpted brow rose at his comment. Before she could retort, Spike continued, “Or it could be that he’s just a bloody pillock and half wit who wouldn’t know a good thing if it bit him on the arse! That explanation works too.”



With his last comment, Spike’s lips formed his traditional snarky smile. Normally, this would irritate Buffy to no end. Tonight was different. A small smile crept to her lips, followed by a bubble of laughter. Her amusement continued until new tears formed; not due to sadness, but pure mirth.

Spike’s smile grew, while he witnessed Buffy’s laughter. In the past, he was never the one make her laugh; these moments were reserved for others, never him. Now as she sat next to him, her brief happiness was his doing, and his alone.

Buffy began to dry her tears of mirth. She stood, walked over to the swings and sat down. Within moments, she reached the maximum height, without going over. Spike watched this fierce warrior, the killer of his kind; retain a smile upon her lips as she swung with carefree movements.

“Why are you sitting there vampire, afraid you can’t keep up?”

At this challenge, Spike raced over to the empty swing next to her and sat down. In no time, their movements were parallel. Dual whoops of laughter filled the cool evening air. Each tried to outdo the other in height and speed.

Without warning, Buffy launched herself from the swing, into a somersault. Upon her landing, arms stretched above her head, she bellowed a loud “Ta-Da”.

“That was at best, an 8.5!” Spike yelled, while his legs continued to propel his movements.

“What! That was a 10!” Buffy retorted with mock outrage.

“Sorry pet, the Russian judges are sticklers. Silence please ladies and gentleman, William T. Bloody preparing for his dismount…”

Not to be bested, Spike followed suit. Only he doubled the somersault, due to the initial height he obtained once he released the swing. The only sound was his leather meeting the breeze. Upon landing, Spike now stood behind Buffy. A big Cheshire cat grin graced his lips.

“Now that was a perfect ten! The Brits take home the gold!” Spike followed his announcement with mock cheer from an imaginary crowd. Buffy looked upon him, mumbling her thoughts,

“Cheater.”

“Now slayer, don’t be a spoil sport, it’s very unbecoming.”

In response, Buffy stuck her tongue out at him. His deep baritone chuckle was his immediate response; as a few more comments, and remarks were traded back and forth. When the chatter began to lessen, Buffy proceeded to walk out of the playground toward home.

Spike remained by the swings. This was until Buffy turned, looking at him with questioning eyes. Within several strides, Spike was by her side walking through the streets. A comfortable silence fell between the two. Occasionally, one would giggle as they recalled earlier, otherwise…silence. Neither spoke until they reached the porch of the Summers’ home,

“So…um…this is me,” Buffy placed her hand upon the front door, while she spoke. Her gaze moved everywhere, except toward the vampire that stood before her.

“Yeah, it appears so.”

“Well, um…I guess I need to go in now. Have to catch up on some z’s. I’ve had a hard time sleeping since…” Buffy’s words halted. Her eyes misted slightly.

“Your mum…I know. Now she’s on the mend, so no worries, yeah?” An uncharacteristic upbeat tone spilled forward from Spike as he attempted to set Buffy’s mind at ease.

“Yeah, the doctor’s say that she should be fine…well if there aren't any complications and if…”

“She’ll be fine Buffy. Don’t let ‘what if’s’ clutter your noggin.” A look of gratefulness filled her features following his reassuring words. The pair silently gazed at one another, until Spike spoke again,

“Well, I’m going to shove off.”

Spike turned slowly and with leisurely steps, descended the stairs. Buffy intently watching his retreating form. Once he reached the middle of the walkway, she called out to him,

“Spike…”  He turned to face her, while she still stood by the door.

“Thanks. Um…thanks for the pep talk about my mom and about…so yeah…thanks.”

Buffy wrung her hands together while, with uneasiness, thanked Spike. A small smile teased his lips before he responded with a slight head nod. With that, he turned and proceeded to walk into the night.

Buffy continued to watch his form, until the night swallowed him completely. She entered into the quiet house and carefully ascended the stairs. As she proceeded to get ready for bed, Buffy replayed the evening within her mind’s eye. Despite the knowledge that she possessed about Riley, nothing seemed to wipe away the grin that graced her lips, which a certain blonde vampire placed there.


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are loved and needed...please! Let me know if I should go on!