Author's Chapter Notes:
This story takes place in Season 2 of Buffy after Angel was returned to the form of Angelus. The story follows Season 2 of Buffy closely but you should not have to review these episodes as I did as I wrote and added in either new scenes pertaining to the episode or a dialogue explaining what went on behind the scenes. For those of you who will insist on watching the episodes I'll try to add them to the author's notes as we go along.

This story is not betaed because my beta is on break trying to finish up the semester. If anyone wants to beta for me please oh please let me know. I can't seem to find a beta who will do more than one chapter! Thanks in advance.

This chapter takes place during Surprise. It pretty much is a dialogue of two scenes to set the mood to where we are going. After part of chapter 1, you won't be getting much if any of this kind of thing. So be patient and enjoy :)

Prologue: Angel or Angelus



Spike rolled his wheelchair next to the table Drusilla laid upon. She looked up at the ceiling, her hand near her face as she stared at nothing with a blissful expression upon her face.

“Are we feeling better then?” He smiled as he placed his arms on the table and looked at Drusilla.

“I’m naming all the stars,” she said.

Spike felt a bit of amusement as he rested his chin, and stroked it softly with his thumb. He was thankful that, at least, that small part of his face was no longer marred with scars.

“You can’t see the stars, luv.” He told her, hoping his flat, direct tone would snap her back to reality. “That’s the ceiling. It’s also day.”

“I can see them. But I’ve given them all the same name.” She tilted her head towards Spike and looked him in the eyes, “and there’s terrible confusion.”

She rolled completely over onto her side moving her arm to rest beside her head. Spike looked into her eyes curious to hear more about Angel, “Did you see any further? Do you know what happens to Angel?”

“Well…” Angel said from behind, pausing dramatically. “He moves to New York and tries to fulfill that Broadway dream. It’s tough sledding, but one day he’s working in the chorus when the big star twists her ankle.”

“You don’t give up do you?”

Angel looked unimpressed as he slowly came forward towards Dru, who was now sitting up. “As long as there’s injustice in the world, as long as scum like you is walking…” Spike watched Angel in disgust as he watched him look at himself in the wheelchair. “Well rolling the streets, I’ll be around.” He stopped when he was only a few feet away, “Look over your shoulder. I’ll be there.”

“Uh yeah. Angel, um…look over your shoulder.” Angelus turned around as the Judge put his hand on his chest. “Hurts doesn’t it?” A hint of amusement laced Spike’s voice.

Angelus glared. “Well, you know, it kinda itches.”

Spike blinked angrily at the Judge. “Don’t just stand there. Burn him!”

“Gee. Maybe he’s broken,” Angelus said.

Spike glanced over his shoulder towards Drusilla. “What the hell is going on?”

“This one…cannot be burnt. He’s clean.” The Judge removed his hand from Angelus’s chest

Spike looked at the Judge in disbelief, “Clean you mean, he’s…”

“There’s no humanity in him.” The Judge said, turning away.

Angelus turned to face Spike. “I couldn’t have said it better myself.”

“Angel,” Dru breathed.

“Yeah baby, I’m back.”

Spike rolled back a slight bit as his expression was still one of disbelief, “Is it really true?”

Angelus smirked, “It’s really true.”

“You’ve come home.”

Spike still was curious as he followed him around on his wheelchair. “No more of this ‘I’ve got a soul’ crap?”

Angelus gave no expression on his face as he struck a match on the table. “What can I say, hmm? I was going through a phase.” He lit a cigarette in his mouth as Spike started to feel excitement flowing through his body.

“This is great! This is so great!” Drusilla started walking on the table with her arms out at each side of her as though she were balancing on an invisible line, “Everything in my head is singing!”

Spike heard Angelus laugh as Dru continued, “We’re family again.”

Spike frowned at little as some memories flash through his head as Drusilla offered Angel her hand and Angelus accepted it helping her down off the table. The way Angelus looked at her as though he’s ready to devour her gave Spike a little uneasy feeling but he shook it off thinking it’s just because to the lack of having Angelus around for decades.

Drusilla continued rubbing her body slightly against Angel, “We’ll feed. Grr.” She turned to Spike taking a few steps towards him as she leaned her face to be level with his with a slight moan, “And we’ll play.” This made Spike feel better as he stated loudly keeping his eyes on Dru’s.

“I’ve got to tell you, it made me sick to my stomach seeing you being the Slayer’s lap dog.” Angelus’s growl was heard as he grabbed Spike by the collar lifting him slightly off the wheelchair. For a split second Spike thought it would end badly before Angelus kissed him on the forehead and stepped back. Spike laughed out loud in relief feeling even better as both Drusilla and Angelus join in.

“How did this happen?” Drusilla asked softly.

Angelus looked back at the duo obviously pleased. “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

Spike laughed. “Oh, who cares? What matters is that now he’s back! Now it’s four against one, which are the kinds of odds I like to play.”

Drusilla leaned towards Angelus to get his attention, “Psst. We’re going to destroy the world. Want to come?” Spike rested his hand on Dru’s stomach eager to feel her close as Angelus toyed with his cigarette.

“Yeah. Destroying the world. Great. I’m really more interested in the Slayer.”

Spike tilted his head towards the side. “Well she’s in the world so that should work out.”

Angelus glanced down, studying the cigarette. “Give me tonight.”

“What do you mean?” Spike asked.

Angelus flicked his cigarette aside and stepped closer to Spike and Drusilla.“Lay low for a night. I guarantee you by the time you go public she won’t be anything resembling a threat.”

“You really got a yen to hurt this girl, haven’t you?” Spiked asked.

Angelus looked towards the wall as he took a deep breath before looking back at Spike as his tone turned anger. “She made me feel like a human being. That’s not the kind of thing you just forgive.” With stating that, Spike watched as Angelus turned around stepping back towards the sewers to return back to his apartment.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Buffy wandered into Angel’s apartment looking. Thoughts were running through her head, including those telling her she should have stayed longer in case he had gone out to stake Spike and Drusilla for her. She glanced at the bed noticing it was neatly made and clothes were laid out on top of it. She crossed the room and used her fingers to toy with his clothes as she tried to decide what to do next. She was so enthralled she almost missed the sound of Angel behind her putting on his necklace. Her mouth dropped open in surprise. He was back!

She barely managed to yell out, “Angel!” before she crossed the room. He managed to say, “Hey…hey!” before she threw her arms around him giving him a kiss and a big hug.

“Oh, my God! I was so worried!” she whispered.

Angel seemed apologetic. “I didn’t mean to frighten you.”

“Where did you go?” she asked.

“Been around,” he replied coldly.

Buffy sighed in relief as she still felt the tears burning her eyes as she leaned her forehead against his, “Oooh. Oh, my God!” Buffy couldn’t stop herself from hugging him tightly again in relief, “I was freaking out! You just disappeared.”

Angel stepped away from her. “What? I took off.” She stared at the wall for a second letting his words sink in before turning around sensing something was off.

“But you didn’t say anything. You just left.” She watched as Angel put on his shirt as he smirked looking into her eyes.
>
“Yeah. Like I really wanted to stick around after that.”

“What?” Tears flooded her eyes.

“You’ve got a lot to learn about men, kiddo. Although I guess you proved that last night.”

Buffy felt more tears. “What are you saying?”

“Let’s not make an issue out of it, okay? In fact, let’s not talk about it at all. It happened.” Angel said.

“I don’t understand…was it me?” Buffy asked. She heard the sound of her voice breaking along with her heart, “Was it me?” She heard herself stutter.

“You were great. Really. I thought you were a pro.” He was laughing at her shaking his head as though it didn’t matter. Buffy was horrified and wished he would just take her in his arms and make it all better. He always made everything all better.

“How can you say this to me?”

Angel rolled his eyes. “Lighten up. It was a good time. It doesn’t mean like we have to make a big deal.”

Buffy was amazed as she bounced on her heels shouted, “It is a big deal!”

Angel scoffed. “It’s what? Bells ringing, fireworks, a dulcet choir of pretty little birdies?” His laugher was so cruel she found herself shaking her head as tears fell to her cheeks as though hoping to shake his evil words away. “Come on, Buffy. It’s not like I haven’t been there before.”

He reached towards her face to wipe away her tears, and as much as she longed for him to do so, she instead took a step back in horror. “Don’t touch me.”

Angel shook his finger at her, “I should have known you wouldn’t be able to handle it.” He turned away from her.

“Angel!” He turned around and her voice softened to a near whisper, “I love you.”

Angel pointed towards her coolly, “Love you too.” He turned away leaving her behind as he shouted, “I’ll call you.”

Buffy watched as he opened the door and closed it as he left. She stood there and felt a mixture of shock and horror. The memories from the perfect night flowed through her mind as she remembered her gentle, loving Angel, who had now turned into a cruel bastard. He seemed so different… so heartless. Her heart broke as she stared