Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you enjoy this...but if not...sorry?
--

Proposal Numero Uno:

--

Spike swung the broadsword in a wide arc. The blade met resistance, but easily sliced through flesh and bone with a practiced ease. Smiling in satisfaction, he watched the Galuck’s severed head fall to the ground.

“Goddammit, Spike. I said he was mine,” Buffy said, glaring daggers at the vampire.

Spike grinned. “C’mon, pet. When have I ever played fair?”

Buffy’s eyes narrowed. “You can be so damn infuriating sometimes.”

“And you love me for it,” Spike said cheekily.

Stalking past him, Spike distinctly heard Buffy muttering something about ‘stupid vampires’ and ‘sleeping on the couch for a week.’ Now truly worried, Spike quickly followed after her.

“Baby-“ he began, reaching a hand out to touch her but Buffy slapped it away.

“Don’t ‘baby’ me. You are so not forgiven. You know how little demon action there’s been lately.” She growled in frustration. “You know how badly I need to kill something.”

“Your homicidal tendencies are a bit troubling, darling.”

“Screw you.”

Spike leered. “Well, since you asked so nicely.”

Buffy’s glare turned sour as his grin widened.

“Spar with me.”

Buffy stopped walking. “What?”

“Spar with me,” Spike repeated.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “No.”

“What? Why not?”

“Weren’t you listening? I need to kill something.”

Spike shrugged. “Nah, you just wanna fight. C’mon. It’ll be fun.”

The Slayer sighed before turning away from him. The next moment she was tackled to the ground from behind, the air forced out of her lungs.

Sweet adrenaline rushed through her. Twisting her hips, she locked her right leg around his middle and flipped them over.

He grinned up at her. “Now, that’s more like it.”

“You asked for it, vampire.”

“Bring it on, Slayer.”

Springing to her feet, Buffy adopted a martial arts pose. Spike stared at her a moment. She was breathing heavily, her top tightening and loosening with each breath. The top two buttons had gone missing somewhere, so an impressive amount of cleavage was visible. Her hair hung in a delicious mess; Spike’s fingers itched to run through it.

Buffy crooked her finger in a beckoning motion. Spike quickly complied.

Neither could say how long they sparred for, but they were both having too much fun to care. Later, Spike claimed he won the fight, but Buffy vehemently denied it stating if weren’t for the tree root, she would’ve beaten him.

She was backing up, planning her next move when her heel caught in a tree root that was protruding from the ground, and she promptly fell onto her backside. Spike pounced on her, his expression gleeful. Straddling her, he leaned down and kissed her neck. Buffy stared at him, her gaze hooded, a soft smile playing on her lips. He stared back at her silently, his expression turned serious.

“I love you,” he said.

Buffy’s smile widened.

He moved his lips to her ear. “I’m yours. Forever.”

Her arms tightened around him.

“Marry me,” he whispered,

She froze.

He waited.

“What?” she yelled, jumping up and out of his embrace. “What did you say?”

Spike stood up slowly. “Um. Marry me?”

Buffy stared at him. “You’re asking me to marry you. In a graveyard. Not ten feet away from a dead demon.”

He looked away from her, no longer able to meet her probing gaze. “Yeah … I guess I am. Fuck. This wasn’t how I wanted this … I mean…” He fumbled in his pocket, extracting a diamond ring. “I just … me and you are so good together, yeah? And I … I couldn’t wait any longer. And this bloody thing has been burning a hole in my pocket since-”

A shriek and a very warm feminine body wrapping around him abruptly cut off Spike’s rambling. Buffy was, Spike noticed for the first time, crying and smiling. Then she was kissing him on every piece of exposed skin she could reach.

“You doof!” she finally exclaimed. “You wonderful idiot.”

Dazed and aroused, Spike could only muster, “I … wha?”

“Yes! Yes, yes, yes!”

“Yes?” he whispered, awed.

“Yes.”

Grinning and blinking back tears, Spike slipped the ring on his fiancée’s finger.

--

Proposal Numero Dos:

--

Buffy’s gaze was sharp and hard.

“You’re asking me to marry you.”

Spike bit his lip, wondering if he’d gone about it all wrong. Hell if he knew. Sometimes the Slayer was impossible to read. “Yeah.”

“Are you kidding me?”

“What? I just thought it would be the most logical step now that we’re gonna be parents.”

The Slayer laughed bitterly. “Yeah, and how did you take the news again?” She paused, pretending to think. “Oh, yeah. You totally freaked out and left to go god knows where for over a month!”

Spike’s eyes flashed. “When are you going to let that go? I don’t know how many times or how many ways I can say I’m sorry.”

“Sorry doesn’t cut it, Spike. Not one bit.”

Aggravated, Spike jerked a hand through his hair. “How can I fix this, then? I can’t read your mind, Buffy. Of you could just give me a hint … or a clue of what you want me to do.”

Buffy sighed, pressing a hand to her stomach. “Time, Spike. I need time. I don’t know if I can trust you anymore.”

Spike felt as though his heart plummeted into his stomach. “You don’t trust me? But, baby …”

“Wait. That’s not what I meant. Well, not exactly.” She bit her lip. “I mean, I trust you with my life, my friends lives, and our baby’s life, but I don’t know if I trust you enough to be in a relationship with you.”

Spike gently grasped her shoulders, forcing her gaze to meet his. “Buffy. I’m here now. I’m not going anywhere. I swear it. We’re having a baby. A baby. You couldn’t drag me away.”

“I think I know that,” she whispered. “But I can’t change who I am. You might not understand, but I can’t jump into a relationship with you knowing that I’ll always be wondering in the back of my mind if you’re going to leave.”

Glancing away from her, Spike glared at the ground, hating himself and every other man that made her feel this insecure. “How can I prove to you that I won’t do that?”

“Time,” the Slayer replied. “Just give me time.”

He asked her to marry him at least once a month. At first she was always flustered when he asked, but she grew to take the proposals in stride. She would smile beautifully and kiss him softly, her eyes letting him know that she wasn’t rejecting him, but that she also wasn’t ready.

She never really knew when he was going to ask her. The fifth time he proposed they were in the middle of a Scooby meeting. He’d whispered the question in her ear, thankfully out of earshot of the others, but she flushed anyways. The fourteenth time was during sex. She paused on top of him, a soft smile lifting her lips; she wordlessly started thrusting again, his soft sigh of disappointment a cut to her heart.

He asked her when she was in labor. She glared at him and pointedly didn’t speak to him for two hours.

He asked on their daughter’s first birthday. Buffy kissed him long and slow. He asked when they found out they were going to have another baby. Buffy smiled at him sweetly, Emma giggled, tugging at his hair.

By what he was sure must be two hundredth time she asked her, it had become a habit. He was honestly losing hope that the answer would ever change. For a long time it stung – knowing she didn’t trust him enough to marry him. But he grew to accept it, and did it really matter? They were pretty much married in every other way. He gazed at the two (technically three, as her protruding belly could attest) most important people in the world to him. They were having a night in and watching a movie. Buffy was cuddled against his side, his arm tucked around her. Emma lay sprawled across them, her head resting on her father’s lap, fast asleep.

“Buffy?”

“Hm?” Buffy turned her head towards him, but kept her gaze on the screen.

“Marry me.”

Buffy was quiet a moment. Spike sighed inwardly and turned his attention back to the movie.

“Alright,” she said softly.

Spike blinked. His shocked gaze jumped to hers. She was smiling. He tried several times to speak before anything came out.

“Are you serious?”

Her eyes were shiny. “Yeah.”

Spike stood, gently placing their daughter in the space he vacated. Kneeling in front of Buffy, he grasped her hands in his. He wordlessly searched her face, searching for something that would tell him she was sure and that she no longer doubted. When he found it he kissed her. Soon they were both crying and laughing.

Later, Spike asked, “How did you know you were ready?”

“Well, you do live here. And you are the father of my two kids, so I thought ‘hey, why not?’”

Spike chuckled, then turned serious. Buffy noticed this and smiled warmly. “I knew because I love you and I can’t imagine my life without you. I think I’ve known for a long time, but I just wouldn’t let myself see it.”

He kissed her palm. “Thank you,” he said hoarsely.

“No. Thank you, Spike, for being so patient. Thank you for understanding.”

“I’d wait forever for you.”

She smiled. “Me too.”

--

Proposal Numero Tres:

--

The first thing Spike was aware of when he woke up was that someone was holding his hand in a tight grip.

“Oh, god! Did you see that? He opened his eyes! Dawnie, go get the doctor.”

A gasp, then footsteps quickly left the room.

“Spike,” she whispered. “Spike, please. Are you awake? Baby?”

Spike pulled himself out of the darkness, desperate to get closer to her voice. He blinked. His first sight was gold and tears.

Her hands were on his face, as though touching him would keep him with her. She was smiling through her tears.

“B-Buffy?” He frowned at how weak he sounded.

“Shh. Don’t speak. It’s okay. It’s okay.”

He lifted a hand to wipe away her tears, she leaned into his caress, her eyes slipping closed.

He didn’t realize he’d fallen asleep until he woke up. This time he was much more aware of his surroundings. He was lying in a hospital bed, in a very white and minimalistic room. Buffy was still at his side, but two other people were standing next to the bed. One, a man, who was obviously a doctor, the other warmed Spike’s heart: Dawn.

“Well, hello there, William,” the doctor said. Buffy whipped around, a wide smile gracing her lips when she saw he was awake.

After a cursory exam the doctor proclaimed Spike was recovering nicely.

“Do you remember what happened?” the doctor asked gently.

Spike tried to recall what led to him being in the hospital, but all he drew was a blank. Catching sight of his gauze wrapped hands, he asked, “Was I in a fight?”

“Yes. You and your girlfriend were mugged. She says you were quite the hero.”

Spike glanced at Buffy, quirking an eyebrow. “Sorry. It doesn’t ring a bell.”

“That’s perfectly normal,” the doctor said. “Sometimes our brains erase or bury traumatic experiences as a way to cope. You may or may not regain those memories, but I wouldn’t worry about it.” He noticed Spike was struggling to remain awake. “We need to keep watch over you a little while yet, but I don’t think you’ll be here much longer. Just get some rest.”

The doctor left, leaving Spike and Buffy and Dawn alone. Spike blinked heavily, trying to keep his eyes open.

“I thought I lost you,” Buffy whispered. “I thought I’d never see you again.”

And then there was darkness.

Later he woke up to find Dawn sitting in the spot Buffy had been.

Dawn grinned at him. “Hey, sleep-head.”

Spike mock growled then smiled. “Hey, bit.”

“It’s good to see you. Awake, that is.”

Spike glanced out the window, noting the position of the sun in the sky. “How long was I out this time?”

Dawn shrugged. “A day, give or take a few hours.”

His eyes widened. “A day?”

“Yeah. I only got Buffy to leave an hour ago. She’s gonna be pissed when she finds out you woke up while she was gone.”

Spike struggled to sit up. Dawn quickly stood and helped him. Finally situated, he sighed heavily.

“I feel as weak as a kitten. What happened to me?”

Dawn looked away from him. Spike watched her curiously.

“Dawn?”

“You were in a coma for eight days. We weren’t sure if…” she trailed off in thought. Spike gaped at her.

“I was in a coma?”

“Yeah. It was bad.” She shook her head and shivered. “Buffy … I’d never seen Buffy like that.”

Spike licked his lips. “What happened? I don’t remember.”

“What happened,” Buffy said from the doorway. “Was that you are a moron and risked your life for no reason.”

Dawn and Spike turned to the Slayer in surprise, neither had noticed her entrance.

“Buffy,” Dawn admonished. “You left only an hour ago. I thought you were gonna get some sleep.”

Buffy’s eyes were glued to Spike. “Couldn’t sleep.”

Dawn wasn’t stupid. She quickly noticed how Buffy and Spike were staring at each other.

“Uh, do you want me to leave?”

Buffy blinked then stared at her sister. “Um. No. I mean … could you just give us a minute?”

Dawn struggled to dampen her grin. Quickly giving Spike a hug and a promise to return later, she left with a barely suppressed smirk at her sister.

As soon as the door closed, Buffy sprang to his side, and she was kissing him. Surprised, but not unwilling, Spike quickly caught up and was kissing her back just as passionately.

Spike belatedly realized that she was crying.

“You idiotic man,” she lamented against his lips. “You stubborn, frustrating, aggravating idiot.”

He pulled back to stare at her. “Buffy …”

Buffy glared at him, her eyes sharp with pain. “How could you do that to me?”

“Do what? I don’t even remember what happened.”

She was petting him all over, as though it assured her he was alive. Her gentle movements were disconcerting as they juxtaposed her harsh tone.

“You weren’t supposed to be there, but you were. I told you not to, but you can be so damned stubborn.”

“Buffy, love, you’re making no sense.”

Her eyes pierced his. “You do remember you’re human, right?”

Spike glanced away at that. “Not something you really forget.”

“So you don’t forget how we weren’t sure what your limitations were?”

He shot his gaze to hers. “Is this what that is? I tried to see how human I am and found out I’m just as weak and pitiful as the rest of them?” Fear and revulsion filled him. “Just. Fucking. Great.”

Gently, she turned his face to hers. “No, baby. We found out just the opposite.”

Spike stared at her in confusion. “Then why am I here?”

Again, Buffy’s eyes filled with tears. “Because even though you still have special abilities, you’re also human. You bleed your own blood, Spike. It’s not borrowed. Sure, you’re stronger than humans, but you’re also susceptible to the human condition the same as we all are.”

Spike could see the pain and despair in her eyes and it made him feel sick. “I’m sorry.”

“I don’t need you to be sorry,” she said fiercely. “I need you to be careful.” The absolute need for him to agree showed in every tense movement of her body. Spike couldn’t have disagreed for anything.

“I promise.”

Buffy sagged in relief. Spike opened his arms and she fell into him.

They were silent for a long time. Finally, Buffy lifted her head to stare at him.

“What?” Spike asked softly.

“Marry me.”

Spike blinked. Once. Twice.

“Spike?”

He cleared his throat. “Uh, say that again, kitten?”

She was grinning. “Marry me, Spike.” She raised her brow. “Do you want me to get down on one knee? I never took you for the traditional type but…” She made a move as though to get up but Spike tightened his hold on her.

He stared at her as though she was insane. “Did you seriously just ask me to marry you?”

“Very seriously.”

He just stared at her.

Buffy sighed. “Oh, c’mon. A woman can’t propose?”

Spike shook his head slowly. “It’s not that. It’s just … wow.”

She blushed and buried her head in his chest. “Okay. Let’s just pretend this never happened.”

“Why?”

“Cause you obviously don’t want to marry me and this is completely embarrassing.”

“No. I mean why do you want to marry me?”

Buffy looked up at him in disbelief. “Are you kidding me?” He was gazing at her in wonder, but she could see the bafflement in his eyes. “I love you, you doofus.” She bit her lip. “And when I thought I’d lost you … “ She shook her head. “I just know I can’t fathom my life without you. I just can’t.”

She was crying again, but she wasn’t embarrassed because he was crying too.

“You’re wrong,” he said.

Her hazel eyes met his blue ones in confusion.

“What?”

He was grinning. “You’re wrong about me not wanting to marry you. I’d very much like to marry you.”

A beat passed. Then Buffy squealed and kissed him until they were gasping for air.

“Marry me,” she breathed, knowing the answer but wanting to hear it again.

“Nothing I’d like better in the world.”

They stopped talking for a long time after that.


Chapter End Notes:
So, which one did you like best?