Author's Chapter Notes:
Buffy and Spike talk and she comes to terms with her mothers secret past.

A HUIGE thank you to my new beta AuroraRose for going over this chapter for me. Also MASSIVE thank you to Edgehead (Mel) for the amazing banner you the best hun!.
Chapter 12

Unbroken promises sometimes hurt too.

After a brief argument with his parents, Spike headed out to find Buffy. He couldn’t believe the turn of events, Buffy wasn’t his sister; the thought was causing his mind to spin. In one instance he was over the moon, what they were doing wasn’t wrong, they weren’t dirty or bad and it was completely okay for them to not just be attracted to each other but to have a relationship. But on the down side he had seen the hurt and betrayal on Buffy’s face and had heard it in her voice. She had looked so sad. It had broken his heart.

He had been looking for her for hours now, the sun had long since gone down and it was getting cold. He remembered she had run out of the house only wearing her bikini and one of his shirts; she had to be freezing by now.

He had stopped by all her friends houses telling them what had happened, leaving out the fact that the truth had only come out because they had been caught having sex, he knew his parents would be upset at him for telling their friends that Giles wasn’t Buffy’s father, but he wanted their friends to know and for the town to know so when they finally came out about being together they were not looked on as sick simply cause everyone still believed they were related.

He had checked the Bronze and all her usual hang outs; like the espresso pump and the ice cream bar with no luck. It occurred to him then that if he had calmed down for a moment he would realize Buffy only went to one spot when she was upset. Silently cursing himself for being so daft, he jumped in his car and headed for Sunnydale look out.

He saw her the moment he pulled up, sitting on the edge of the lookout fearlessly, hugging her arms around herself tightly no doubt in an effort to block out some of the cold. Stepping out from behind the wheel, he shut the car door and headed over to her, draping his heavy duster over her shoulders he took a seat beside her wrapping his arms around her tightly rubbing her arms to warm her up.

"I’ve been looking for you everywhere luv. I’ve been worried sick," he whispered in her hair.

"I’m sorry. I needed time alone," she sighed feeling bad for worrying him.

"You must be freezing pet."

"Yeah, I am a little bit, but I wasn’t ready to go home." He nodded understandingly.

"I should call mum and dad to let them know your okay. Half the town is looking for you."

"His not my dad," Buffy spat a little harshly.

"Buffy-" Spike started but she quickly cut him off.

"No Spike! He’s not my dad. My dad is some sick pervert who prays on little girls before he murders them," she hissed standing from her seat and moving towards his car. "What if I’m just like him Spike? What if I have the same evil in me?" she cried tears pricking in her eyes as she turned to face him. He could see the fear on her face.

"Is that what you think? It’s not possible, Buffy. You are the kindest and gentlest person I have ever met. You don’t have an evil bone in your body," he replied trying to reassure her.

"No? I had no problem sleeping with someone I had ever reason to believe was my brother."

"If your evil because of that then I guess I am too."

"I persuaded you!"

"I could have said no."

"If I remember correctly, you did."

"Buffy, you’re grasping at straws and you know it! Hank may be you father by blood, but you are nothing like him." he said moving forward and cupping her checks gently.

"How can you be sure? I’m so scared Spike. What if I get older and I become like him? What if it’s in my blood?" She whispered looking up into his eyes tears falling down her face.

"Then Joyce is in your blood too, and she is so good and pure. It will wipe out anything bad, but Buffy I don’t believe for a second that it’s in your blood" he relied wiping the tears from her checks. "I know you, Buffy. I’ve looked into your heart and all that is there is goodness. It’s the part of you I love you so much." Moving forward, he kissed her with everything he felt inside him.

She clung to him and his words; desperately needing to know he was there with her and that he was right about her. Breaking apart, they gasped for air.

"I’m right Buffy, and I mean it when I say I love you. Nothing will ever change that. I love what you are, what you do, and how you try. I’ve seen your kindness and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you, and I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are. You’re a hell of a woman," he told her love shinning in his eyes as more tears fell from her’s."You’re the one Buffy." She couldn’t stop the sob that tore through her throat.

"I love you so much," she cried before smashing her lips onto his. Their kiss quickly became hot and demanding. In a matter of seconds, Buffy had Spike pinned between her and his car, but he knew they needed to stop. Everyone was worried about her, and he still hadn’t called their parents.

"Buffy luv-" he spoke pulling away, "as much as I really want to finish this we need to get home. Everyone is out looking for you." She nodded in agreement.

"What did you tell everyone? Why I ran off?"

"The truth."

"What?" she gasped surprised.

"Buffy, I want to be able to share with the world one day soon that your mine, and I can’t very well do that while all our friends believe we are related so I figured the truth would be the best explanation."

"What did they say?"

"Some people were shocked of course but your friends, especially Cordy, were not to surprised something about us looking nothing alike." Buffy giggled at this. "Buffy dad was really hurt," he said seriously. Her smile turned to a frown quickly.

"I didn’t mean what I said to him. I was just so mad at them both. I mean don’t get me wrong I understand why they kept it from me. It’s just the thought that Giles isn’t really my dad hurts a lot" she explained.

"Buffy, Giles may not be your biological father, but he is your dad." Buffy nodded a small smile on her face as they slipped into the car and headed home.

Pulling up to their house, Buffy felt a mixture of fear and panic hit her. She knew she had to go inside. Spike had called their parents on the way home so they could call off the search party, and she could hear her mother's anxious voice through the phone begging to know if she was alright.

Slipping from the car, Buffy took a much needed breath as they headed up the walk way that lead to the front door. Spike grasped her hand supportively as they walked inside. In seconds, they were surrounded by her friends and family all asking if she was okay and where she went; everyone but Giles who was standing back looking anxious and hurt.

Buffy felt her heart break.

She had caused him pain with her harsh words. Moving past everyone, she came to stand in front of the man she had known and love as her father her whole life.

"I’m so sorry dad," she whispered tears pricking her eyes. He moved fast hugging her as close as he could get her.

"No, Buffy, it’s I who is sorry. I should have been honest with you, but I so desperately wanted to spare you any pain," he whispered in her hair.

"I know you did that’s why I love you so much, and I don’t care if we share the same DNA or not, you’re my dad and nothing will ever change that. I didn’t mean what I said before I was just angry," she rambled looking up at him.

"I love you too princess." He smiled moving forward to kiss her forehead affectionately.

"Buffy." She heard her mother’s voice. Turning to face her, Buffy spoke.

"I understand why you did what you did keeping the truth from me, but I'm still upset. I have questions that I hope when I ask you will answer honestly no matter how much you might think the answer will hurt me."

"I promise sweetheart," Joyce said hugging her close before moving to reveal Faith.

"Buffy-" she started, but Buffy was quick to cut her off.

"I trusted you and while I understand why no one wanted me to know the truth; you’re the one I expected to have told me first. I came to you scared and unsure about what to do and you had the answer the whole time to stop me feeling so ashamed and dirty and still you said nothing."

"Buffy, I swore years ago to never tell you about Hank," she tried to explain but it was useless.

"I know but if the rolls where reversed, and you had come to me, sworn to secrecy or not, I would have told you hoping it would offer at least some comfort," Buffy informed her. "You’re not just my cousin. You’re my best friend, and I thought out of everyone you where the one I could truly count on. It turns out I was wrong." she finished moving past Faith and her friends disappearing up stairs.

Faith felt guilt slam through her at Buffy’s words. Buffy was right, promise or not, she should have told Buffy about Hank. Buffy had been the only one to stand by her when she came out. The only one who didn’t call her wrong or say it was a phase, and she had betrayed her trust. Faith knew even if it took the rest of her life she would find a way to make it up to her.


Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think and review please : )