Won’t Back Down

Summary: Back in LA, Buffy Summers was called to be the Slayer. Her watcher died, she had a bad relationship, she was kicked out of school, and her parents divorced. She, her mother and brother move to Sunnydale, to live with Buffy’s cousin, Willow, until they can get a house. Suddenly, Buffy finds herself back to where she started: a new watcher, possibly a new boyfriend, and new friends who have no idea about her ‘hobby’.

A/N: Some of the lines are from ‘Welcome to the Hellmouth’.



Prologue
Los Angeles, California
The night was relatively quiet considering all the activity going on in the city of Los Angeles. The air was chilly, and somewhat foggy, as a figure crept through the dark cemetery. The moon was full, allowing enough light to see the headstones, but there were no stars in the sky.
The figure moved along, winding its way through the maze of headstones. Another figure, smaller than the first, moved to the right of it and crouched down behind a headstone. Just as the walking figure passed the headstone, the crouching figure jumped up and tackled it. There were kicks and punches thrown and in the end, the smaller of the two was on top.
The clouds covering the moon moved, allowing the cemetery to light up, and spreading over the figures. A young girl was straddling a man. A stake was pulled out, and shoved into the heart of the man. The man exploded into a cloud of dust. The girl stood up, dusting herself off, and headed off into the night.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Sunnydale, California
A boy and girl walk up to the side of a high school. A window breaks, and the boy enters the room, carefully helping the girl inside.
“Are you sure this is a good idea?”, the girl asks nervously.
“Of course it is. Come on.”, the boy answers, pulling her into the hallway.
“Do you go to school here?”, the girl asks, looking around.
“Used to. But on top of the gym, you can see the whole town.”
The boy continues to pull the girl down the empty hallway.
“I-I-I don’t wanna go up there.”, the girl stuttered, stopping at an intersection.
“You can’t wait, huh?”, the boy leers, stepping closer to her.
“We’re just gonna get in trouble.”, the girl states, smiling coyly.
“Count on it.”
As they lean in to kiss, the girl gasps, and jumps back.
“What was that?”, she asks, terrified.
“What?”
“I heard a noise.”
The boy scans the area, then turns back to the girl.
“It’s nothing.”
“But maybe it’s something.”, the girl says, wringing her hands together, and glancing around.
“Or maybe it’s some thing.”, the boy said, jumping at her.
“That’s not funny.”
“Come on, babe. There’s no one here.”
“Are you sure?”, the girl asked again, turning around to look down the hall.
The boy rolled his eyes behind her back.
“Yes, I’m sure.”
“Ok.”
The girl turns, her face contorting into ridges and her mouth showing fangs. The boy’s eyes widen as the girl growls, biting him.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Los Angeles, California
Buffy Summers walked into her house. She sighed, hearing the quiet, and came to the conclusion that she and her brother were alone again for the night. She walked into the kitchen and jumped when her mother stood up from behind the refrigerator door.
“Buffy? Did you just get in?”, Joyce Summers asked, a stern look on her face.
“Uh, yeah. I was out with-“
“I specifically told you to come home by ten. It’s midnight, Buffy.”
“I’m sorry, mom. I lost track of time.” Buffy said.
“Well, you seem to be doing a lot of that lately.”
Buffy shrugged, tired of hearing her mother’s scolding, and turned to leave.
“I’m not done with you. I need to talk to you.”
Buffy froze, and closed her eyes, and opened them again, turning toward her mother.
“What is it? Am I grounded again?” Buffy asked.
“I have already talked to your brother about this, but, um, your father and I are getting a divorce.”
Buffy’s looked at her mom with wide eyes.
“What? No, you can’t. It’s because of me, isn’t it?”, she pleaded, not wanting to lose what little connection she had with her father.
“Buffy, it’s not about you. It’s about me and your father. Believe me, Buffy, it’s for the best. Your father has been seeing other women, without my knowledge, for a while now. We agreed together.”
Buffy shook her head, tears streaming down her face.
“No, please. Just work it out.”
Joyce shook her head sadly.
“It won’t work out, Buffy. It hasn’t for a while now. You know that. And besides, the constant fighting has been hurting your grades, Buffy. So, I decided that we should move.”
Buffy glared at her mom.
“Move?”