Chapter 1

Buffy Summers practically growled as the stack of papers she was holding floated to the floor. It was only her second day on the job, and shealready dropped three files, spilled four cups of coffee, and was seriously worried that she had been the one to break the copy machine. She thought it was the best day of her life when she got the job at Chase Agency, a business that was responsible for all of the most popular models out there. Cordelia Chase had started the business after she had been a model for a few years, realizing she could make her money work for her. She still modeled from time to time but was now responsible for creating careers for the women in her care.

Buffy had been in Los Angeles attending UCLA until summer rolled around, and she realized she needed a summer job. She applied and, much to her surprise, was hired to do odd jobs around the agency. The building was a spacious five stories with soft shades of neutral colors and hardwood floors throughout the building. Cordelia had wanted to utilize the space, but at the same time, keep it open and airy. As a result, the first floor was simply a reception area with overstuffed chairs lining the walls next to the glass end tables. The receptionist's desk, which was really a huge mahogany counter, was directly across from the double glass doors at the front of the building.

The next two floors were used as offices without the cubbies. A few desks lined each wall, leaving the middle of the floor open on each level to make the agency appear even bigger than it really was.

The fourth floor was used as a staging area for Cordelia's photographer Doyle, whom Buffy had only met once, but was charmed by his sweet demeanor. The entire top floor of the building was Cordelia's office. Buffy had only been up there once since she arrived the other day, and she hadn't seen the famous Ms. Chase, but judging from her office and the building in general, she had exquisite taste. The elevator opened right into her office, which was decorated with glass-top furniture, a desk, end tables next to the sofa, bookshelves lined with pictures of herself and famous people, and a table against one wall with a beautiful antique silver mirror hanging from the wall above it. The middle of the office held two black leather sofas and a matching chair. Stepping out of the elevator to the right was her desk and black leather chair that matched the set. It was obviously the office of someone who knew fashion. What had surprised Buffy was what lined the walls behind her desk- pictures of what looked like Cordelia growing up, with her family. Buffy hadn't had a chance to look at any of the pictures, but she had figured someone like Cordelia Chase couldn't be bothered by something as inconsequential as family pictures.

Now, as Buffy scooped up the files that were lining the floor in one of the office areas, she heard a group of people heading toward her. Flipping the hair out of her eyes, Buffy quickly straightened and began trying to reorganize the files as she walked. Without looking where she was going, she bumped into someone and barely managed to hang onto the files she was holding. Looking up as a hand steadied her, she looked right into the light brown eyes of Cordelia Chase. Buffy suddenly felt very inadequate as she stared at the beautiful woman. Her hair was in soft curls that fell to her shoulders, and she was dressed in a comfortable, but chic, pair of dress pants with a flattering shirt. Buffy glanced down at her own black skirt and white blouse and had to resist the urge to stick out her tongue at its boring simplicity.

"You okay?"

"Miss Chase, I am SO sorry. I just didn't watch where I was going, and then everything was.bad. I'm sorry."

"That's okay, accidents happen."

"Really?" Buffy asked incredulously.

"Yeah. Don't get me wrong, a few years ago I probably would have torn you apart for getting in my way, but I guess we do mature as we get older."

"Again, I'm sorry, Miss Chase."

"Call me Cordy, everyone does," she said with a wave of her hand. Buffy felt slightly uneasy at the penetrating looks that the young woman was giving her.

"You work for me?"

"Yeah, files and records, coffee, whatever anyone needs. This is my second day."

"Hmmm, I would have thought you were a model."

"Really?" she asked excitedly.

"Well," she began as she continued to critique Buffy. "You're way too short for the runway, but maybe some print ads. You interested?"

"You're serious?" she asked disbelievingly.

"I don't joke about this," she replied, arching one perfectly sculpted eyebrow. "But yeah, I think a quick makeover and some black and white shots would do wonders. Doyle!"

Doyle emerged from the back of the group that had been watching the exchange.

"Take Miss.?"

"Summers," Buffy supplied.

"Take Miss Summers with you and work your magic."

A few minutes later, Buffy was led up to the fourth floor, behind the dressing rooms and photography area, and saw what looked like a small salon.

"Cordy's right, lass," Doyle said, putting a black cloak around her neck. "You do have the makings for a good model. Have you ever thought about it?"

"Honestly, it never crossed my mind."

"All we're going to do is a tiny trim and a highlight."

"Highlights?" she asked.

Doyle held up a strand of long blonde hair. "It's fine the way it is- we just want to add a softer feel. Maybe a honey-colored shade instead of a harsh blonde, make it look more natural."

Buffy nodded as Doyle got to work.

* * * * *

When Doyle finished, Buffy smiled at her reflection. Her hair had only been trimmed a few inches, still falling halfway down her back, with soft layers added in. The new shade of blonde did give her a more natural look and made her appear a little older than her twenty years.

"Doyle, I thought you were just a photographer."

"Well, yeah, but photography is an art, and you know what they say about artists."

"They cut off their own ears?"

Doyle laughed. "They starve. I had to find a day job to pay the bills, and that's when I began hairdressing. Happened to do Cordy's hair one day, and the rest, as they say, is history."

Buffy smiled as they walked over to the massive closet. Buffy gasped as it was opened to reveal hundreds of beautiful, up-to-the-minute styles.

"Oh my God! How do you get all of these things?" she asked, walking over to inspect a pair of Manolo Blahniks.

"Cordy's friends with a lot of designers. The majority of these things are loaners."

"This is amazing."

"Yep, now let's get you dressed."

As Buffy stepped out of the dressing room in a black Armani dress, she saw Cordelia talking to Doyle. Turning to face Buffy, she gave her a bright smile.

"Okay.I didn't catch your first name."

"Buffy."

"Okay, Buffy, here's how this works. I still need you to keep your regular job, but Doyle will snap a few pictures of you. I'll send them out to anyone looking for a fresh face, and you'll get a couple of hundred bucks for every picture that's sold. Sound good?"

"Sounds great!" Buffy said excitedly.

"Great. Now, you are currently considered a model for the Chase Agency, which entails some added responsibilities. Just a fund-raiser here or a charity ball there. Your wardrobe will be provided for these events."

"This is all so unbelievable. I was just supposed to get the coffee."

Cordy smiled. "Well, you'll still be doing that, but now you should have some extra cash on the side. I take care of my girls, Buffy, and this is a hard business. There are a select few that can make a career out of it."

"Well, that's okay. I'm totally not expecting a career. I'm actually going back to college in the fall, but this is a wonderful opportunity."

"Great, then I'll let Doyle get around to taking those pictures," she said, heading for the door. "Oh, by the way."

Buffy turned as Cordy whirled back around.

"There's going to be this black-tie event a week from this Saturday. Clear your calendar."

Buffy nodded as Doyle began taking some test shots. This was going to be an interesting summer.