A/N- My first completed story in a while... did it all in one night too.. I was very tired so I apologize if there are errors. Enjoy! Rated 15 because it's...well, you'll see why if you read it lol.

Anya’s Ice Cream Cure

It was the morning of the battle, the day when fate would lay down it’s cards and fold. It was unfairly gorgeous outside; unfair because why should it be that nice out on the last day Sunnydale would ever see the light of day? This was a sad day, a frightful day, it should be raining outside to put out any fires that dared to spark.

It didn’t matter, anyway. The invasion of the Hell Mouth was scheduled to take place at midnight when the sky was dark and no one would suspect their movement. Buffy awoke in her own bed that morning. She could have sworn she slept in Spike’s arms last night but perhaps it was just a dream. Sitting up she yawned and rubbed her rested eyes and jumped when they focused on the blond at the edge of her bed. “Spike...why are we up here?” She looked around confused.

“The mini’s wanted to use the basement for training, didn’t want to wake you so I brought you up here.” He smiled shyly at her. She noticed that about him now, that quality of shyness that she’d have never expected to see in her vampire.

“Thank you.” Buffy smiled back, pulling the covers off of herself and slowly standing up out of bed. Not taking a step she looked at him. “I am not ready for this day to begin.” With that, she bounced back down onto her bed next to Spike. “It’s not fair.” She pouted like a five-year-old.

If he were how he used to be, pre-soul, he wouldn’t have hesitated to kiss that pouty lip of hers but now things were different with them. He was still confused as to how but he suspected his answers would come in time. “Oh please, get your sweet arse up and go make breakfast. I’ll get it started, you get changed.”

She watched as he got up and walked out of her room, closing the door behind him. She grinned to herself and walked to her closet, wanting to pick out something that would impress him. She wanted to make this day worth it for both of them; after all it may be their last. Of course, she didn’t yet know how to go about doing that, she couldn’t just go up to him and tell him she wanted to be together if only for today. She just wasn’t brave enough for that.

Buffy ended up picking out something Spike had always favored back in their “Rough and tumble” days. Her favorite pair of leather pants and instead of the red sweater she’d always worn with it, she opted for a snug, black, short sleeved shirt. To complete the ensemble, she pulled on her boots and let her hair flow freely as opposed to up in a bun. Spike would be pleased.

Making her way downstairs about a half an hour later, she was careful not to step on any of the various sleeping bags that littered the steps or pillows that had yet to be picked up in the living room. She could already smell the eggs cooking and the bacon frying. This would probably be the best breakfast they’d had since they’d been there, the slayerettes, that is. Buffy had once before had Spike’s cooking and it was very delicious if her taste buds remembered correctly.

She walked in and stood in the doorway, keeping out of the way of the 15 girls that scattered around her kitchen. Two of them loomed over Spike as he flipped their sunny-side-up eggs. Spike had also changed, she suddenly noticed and what were the chances that they nearly matched? “Smells good doesn’t it?” Came Anya’s voice from behind her. Buffy nodded in response.

Spike seemed to have everything under control so Buffy took this opportunity to get some help of her own. “An, can I talk to you for a minute?” She quietly whispered to the blond standing beside her. Anya gave a quick nod and grinned, happy to be of assistance to anyone.

They walked into the dining room to get some privacy. “What’s up? Need sex tips?” She was smiling up a storm, thinking she knew all. “You and Spike are boinking again right?”

“What? No, Anya we’re not... I just need to ask that if you have any suggestions I can use to tell Spike I want this day to count. Maybe something we can do together...” The look Anya was giving Buffy was one that said her mind was completely in the gutter. “...not that!” Buffy screeched. “Something... romantic.”

“Hmm...” Anya did her best not to think about money or sex for the moment and suddenly had the best idea. “I know!!” She got excited. “My suggestion, though romantic, may even lead to some unexpected sex!” There was no helping Anya, her mind almost worked like a man’s.

Buffy rolled her eyes but was still open to Anya’s suggestion so she crossed her arms and listened.

-~*~-

“Hey.” Buffy said as she entered the kitchen after all but Spike had gone back to their routine. She grabbed a few plates and deposited them into the sink to help him clean up after the ever so messy group of teenage girls.

“Hey, Pet. What happened to you? Decide to seek some sort of revenge on me by leaving me alone with a bloody stampede of girls?” He was only teasing her, of course. She needed a break from breakfast duty for once anyway and he was more than happy to help out when he could.

“You know you enjoyed the attention.” She elbowed him playfully in the ribs and she smirked at her.

“Yeah, you caught me.” He put his hands up in mock defeat.

“Can’t fool the Slayer.” She began drying some of the dishes he’d already washed and put them in the cupboards. “Especially when the Slayer is a fool.”

“You’re not a fool, Love. A little blonde sometimes, but certainly not a fool.” He winked at her and chuckled when she put her hands on her hips as if she were really offended by that.

“Look who’s talkin’, Blondie Bear.” She didn’t waste a second using Harmony’s old pet name for him, against him.

“Hey, watch it.” He pointed at her and went back to washing the dish he was working on. “Or I’ll tell your friends some of the nasty little names I had for you.” He smirked at her again. It was nice being able to joke and laugh with her. This was all he’d ever wanted from her before they’d had a relationship, or “thing”, as she preferred to call it.

Her eyes widened. “You wouldn’t dare!” Getting up some courage that magically popped out of nowhere, as she walked past him she smacked him on the ass with the towel she was using to dry the dishes. It was a risky move, but what could it hurt? They were both joking around. That and well, his ass looked very smack-able in those tight black jeans.

He raised his eyebrow at her. Not in complaint, but in shock and surprise.

After a minute of him not saying anything, she just grinned. “Well, I hate to get gone on such a short notice, but there is one last trip to the grocery store to be done. I want to make a nice big dinner tonight if in fact it has to be everyone’s last. Be around later, okay?” Her eyes pleaded with him, hoping he didn’t have any plans to go out and get drunk or see some demon friends of his.

“Can count on that, Love.” He finished the last dish and put it away. “Thanks for the help.” He said, nodding towards the washed cupboard full of dishes.

Buffy stood and looked at him as if he were the most amazing thing she’d ever seen. Honestly, she was scared. Scared about how tonight would turn out, scared about leaving him for just a short time at the store because who knows what could happen in that little time, but chances had to be taken. Not knowing what came over her, she walked over and... gave him a quick hug. “Thank you... for everything.” Nearly lost in his stare she remembered her agenda and went on her way without another word spoken.

-~*~-

Later on, well after Buffy had returned, she and Giles prepared dinner for everyone. Nearly 25 plates total. They all ate in a circle on the living room floor. All save for Spike. He had rejected Buffy’s offer for him to come and enjoy dinner with everyone. He just didn’t want to engage in a big group activity since it was never his thing anyway. The entire time over dinner Buffy had thought about what Anya had suggested to her and how much she wished it would happen.

When everyone was finished, she didn’t hesitate to take everyone's dishes and take them to the sink, letting Anya do her thing and get rid of everyone. “Okay slayerettes, who’s ready to go out and spend money one last time before we all die a painful and brutal death?!” Anya shouted.

She received a few skeptical glances but eventually everyone was out the door when Anya offered to buy them each some candy from the candy store. She wasn’t worried; the candy store was closed since the owners left town so she just planned on looting a bit. No harm in that, she figured. She was happy to have done Buffy a favor and she filled in the others in charge about what was going on.

Once all the dishes were taken care of, Buffy got out two bowls and set them on the middle island, one on each side so she and Spike could face each other. She lit two tall candles and put them in the middle of the bowls and she placed the carton of ice cream in the middle also. She tiptoed around, hoping Spike wouldn’t show up early to a “date” he didn’t know he had.

When she was certain everything was perfect down to the light music, she descended the cellar steps to retrieve the vampire. “Spike?” She called out before making it all the way down. Once she got to the bottom she looked over and found him sitting up on the cot he called his bed. He looked sad and lost so she walked over and grabbed his hand. “Come on, I have to show you something.”

He looked at her questioningly but still followed without a word said. They walked up the creaky stairs into the kitchen and a smile came to Spike’s face when he saw what she had in mind. “You’re too sweet, Pet.” He said as he watched her take a seat.

“Gonna sit?” She asked of him while he was standing in awe of her and the mood she’d created. He took a seat and was taken aback at how beautiful she looked by candlelight.

Buffy took the ice cream scoop and served them both, putting generous amounts of ice cream in each of their bowls. He watched her with happiness. She never failed to put a smile on his face and warmth in his non-beating heart.

“So, what brought this on?” He dared to ask.

Might as well just say it now, she thought to herself. “I wanted us to have some meaningful time together before the battle...” She looked down at her bowl, not wanting to say the end half of that sentence, that she did all of this in case they didn’t make it.

“Hey...don’t make this a sad time, it’s not you know.” He picked up his spoon and scooped up some of the rocky road ice cream with it and reached across the island to give it to Buffy. She smiled softly and opened her mouth, taking the bite he offered to her.

They continued back in forth like this for some time until one decided to speak. “No matter what happens at midnight I want this to be the thing that I can’t stop thinking about. Whether I’m being attacked or doing the attacking, I want this to be on my mind and I want you to do the same.” Spike said as he looked into her eyes, which had a small sparkle from the light of the candles.

“You have my word.” She took a few bites of her own ice cream and he watched her with his head slightly tilted, wondering why they hadn’t done this before.

“I wanna say something...I’m not sure if it’s the right or wrong time for it but if this is it, and someone had to say that too by the way, then I need to get it out one last time...” He paused, actually on the verge of a tear or two. “...I love you, Kitten.” His eyes didn’t leave hers as he said the words that almost made her cry as well.

Buffy stood and walked around the island and stood before him for about 5 seconds before hitting on his lap and putting her arms loosely around his neck. In that moment, their lips met and a fire ignited between them. A fire that had never been there before, burning from pure love. When they parted for breath, Buffy leaned her forehead against his. “I love you, too, William.”

For the remainder of the night, until the others got home at least, Spike and Buffy sat together in the living room, stealing gentle kisses and exchanging words of love. Confessing feelings they’d never mentioned to one another, wishing they’d have come together sooner but both agreeing that the time was now truly right. Buffy owed Anya big time. Because now, if she and Spike had to perish in the midnight hour, they would go out fighting. Together.