Dawn was looking forward to her 18th birthday party. Giles, Willow, and Xander were all traveling to Rome for the party. Andrew had taken over the party planning from the invitations to the decorations to the food. Buffy was grateful that the freeloading watcher/geek/supervillian was making himself useful as his weekend visit turned into two months and counting.

Dawn wished that once she passed this milestone that no one would treat her like a dumb kid anymore. Buffy also noticed Dawn matured since they had been in Rome, she was no longer a bratty kid sister, but her best friend. The Scooby gang had spread out to all corners of the globe and Dawn was the only thing unchanging in Buffy's life, unless you count the constant pang of guilt she felt over Spike.

Andrew was aware of how hard the Summers girls took Spike's apparent death in the hellmouth. Sometimes they would retell Spike's greatest hits and other times when his name came up there would be a sad silence throughout the apartment. Andrew faced problems with this; he was conflicted between loyalty and sympathy. He wished he could tell Buffy and Dawn that Spike was back to the unliving, but didn't want to be the little ponce that Spike expected him to be. Or maybe Spike wanted Andrew to tell Buffy about his resurrection and just figured he would open his big mouth.

As Andrew wrote out invitations, he thought about sending Spike one along with a plane ticket, paid for the watcher's council. Andrew wondered if the party situation would be the best time for the reunion. If Spike showed up, Dawn's special day would be outdone by a resurrected vampire.

He finally found a plan worthy of an evil genius. He dated a special invitation exactly one week before the actual party and booked a personal jet to get him to Rome quickly and safely in the middle of the night. Spike would arrive in Rome in the morning. Andrew enclosed a simple message with the rest of the itinerary. The note read, "she wants to see you."

Andrew loved his role as matchmaker; it was as if he was the hero of this story. He thought about this situation like a movie and kept replaying the synopsis in his head. "Spike and Buffy had a great love and supernatural forces pulled them apart, until the brave and wise Andrew brought the two lovers together just in time for the happy ending."

***

Spike walked outside one morning to get his mail. He loved the sun, ever since he became human. He had to invest in some sunscreen, to get use to the hot rays of the sun after 124 years of darkness. Aside from a few lifestyle changes, including giving up smoking, he was adjusting quite well. The transformation occurred after he saved the world with Angel and it took a bit of getting use to.

Spike wanted to see Buffy in Rome, but was still in the planning stages of his journey. When Spike got the letter, he had only been human for a little over a week. He had considered ways to reintroduce himself into her life. Scenarios ranged from just showing up on her doorstep to running into her on the street to calling her on the telephone. He also thought about some creative solutions like sending her love poems, as the William side of his personality was increasingly more prominent in his brain, although the Spike side of his personality was still there as well. The invitation gave him an opportunity to see the Summers girls and wouldn't look like a desperate attempt to bust into Buffy's life and become her boyfriend.

Spike knew Andrew had sent the letter, but didn't know if he knew he was now human or if Buffy knew he was back. The other uncertainty in was Buffy and her new boy toy.

Spike wondered what she saw in that, "stupid git." The Immortal had a reputation of being a real smooth talker. Spike knew the pattern; he would romance a female victim, get inside her knickers, and then treat her like a cheap whore. Spike though she should've learned her lesson with that one night stand in college. He couldn't stand the thought of Buffy getting her heart broken by that "wanker."

At this point Spike didn't care, if Buffy accepted him or not. He wanted to tell her his journey from dust to ghost to vampire to human. It was because of Buffy that Spike made it this far; he needed to thank her for guiding him towards his humanity. He wanted to show he had changed, he was strong on his own and her belief in him sustained him the whole time.

Spike packed up his belongings. He even purchased some new clothes. This new wardrobe included a lot of blue clothes because a petite blonde salesgirl told him that it brought out the color of his eyes. Spike also remembered Buffy's immediate reaction when in wore that blue shirt after he came back from Africa, her eyes lit up when she saw him.

He even bought Dawn a present and had the store wrap it in colorful wrapping paper. Spike didn't know what to get her, but decided on some jewelry. He chose a small sterling silver heart. Spike had the words, "little bit" engraved on the heart. He wasn't sure she would like this childish nickname, but he wanted it personalized something just from him. Spike wanted things to be better between himself and Dawn, since the last couple of years their relationship had been strained.

Spike waited for the engraving and looked around the shop, so he was prepared with a gift for Buffy if she was receptive to his arrival. He looked inside a glass case and one ring caught his fancy. It was very Victorian in design and looked a lot like the wedding ring his mother always had on her finger. He added it to his purchase, but he had no real expectations about how Buffy would react to him. He got it because he didn't want to regret not getting it, because it was perfect for her.

On the plane ride to Rome, Spike got psychologically ready to see Buffy. He didn't know what he was going to do, but planning was never his strong suit. Spike was going to see his girls and pray fate was on his side.

***

It was Saturday morning and Andrew had made a special breakfast for his roommates and a special guest. He had received word that Spike got on to the plane. Andrew had also arranged for a limousine with necrotempered vampire safe windows; he had instructed the driver to bring Spike directly to Buffy's apartment. He was proud that he honed his organizational skills as a super mastermind.

Andrew got up early and began to make freshly squeezed orange juice. He planned to cook eggs, bacon, sausage and muffins. He had spent the better part of Friday searching the outdoor markets for the freshest produce in Italy for this fabulous fruit salad to accompany the meal.

Dawn woke up early and noticed Andrew in the kitchen wearing an apron. "Andrew, what's this all about, my birthday's not until next week."

"We're having a special person coming over for breakfast." He replied. "But I'm not telling."

"Can I guess and watch your face for clues?" She asked.

"No Dawnie, get Buffy up. You two need to get dressed."

"Is it Giles?" She detected it was a no by his facial expression. "So Willow is coming early?"

"Dawnie, I'm not telling. Wake up your sister, I know she likes to get all prettied up before people come over."

Buffy walked out of her bedroom. "Who's coming over?"

"Andrew won't say who this mystery guy is." Dawn replied.

"O.k. I will say that it is a man." He said. "A very good-looking man that you girls will want to look hot for."

"Hey, it cuts the population down 50%." Dawn squealed. "Andrew, I will kiss you if it is Johnny Depp."

"No it's not Johnny or Orlando or Viggo. I think he's just as crush worthy as those three." Andrew said. "And I know he has feelings for Buffy."

"If it is the Immortal and you want me to get back with him, I'll kick your ass." Buffy said as she walked into her bedroom.

"Wait and see, ladies. Wait and see."

***


The limo driver stopped at Spike insistence when he saw a street vendor with beautiful flowers.

"I need to get a rose. I'm seeing my lady. Can't go empty handed."

Spike hopped out of the car. He chose a deep red rose bud, but it really didn't seem like enough so he bought a dozen. Spike got back into the car; he knew her place was only a few blocks away since he was there with Angel less than a month ago.

The limo pulled up to Buffy's apartment. Spike could hardly breathe and he wasn't use to this sensation. He missed his vampire senses; while he seemed to retain his physical strength, but he couldn't pick up on her scent like he could when he was a vamp.

Spike looked at the place, the building was new in appearance and most likely refurbished. The place was in a trendy neighborhood in Rome, he could tell by the near by shops and pedestrians. Spike imagined Buffy coming out of that doorway every morning, her golden hair glistening in the sunshine, beautiful and ready to face the world.

The limo driver opened Spike's door. "What are you waiting for buddy?"

"Nothin' mate, I just was thinking about a girl who lives here. I'm in love with her and we haven't see one another in over a year." Spike grabbed his suitcase.

"They guy who hired me said you had an extreme sun allergy." The limo driver said. "It doesn't seem like it to me."

"I got it cleared up among other things." Spike walked to the door with confidence, although feelings of doubt, nervousness, and anticipation floated through out his brain.

He quickly found the door to her apartment. Spike stood by the door and waited a few moments before he had the nerve to knock. He finally rapped at the door and instantly regretted it.

Andrew called across the house, "Buffy, you better get the door, I gotta get these muffins out of the oven."

Dawn and Buffy both rushed to the door. She opened the door and saw Spike with roses in one hand and a suitcase in the other. Buffy stopped counting how many times she wished Spike would be on the other side of that door.

Buffy had to pinch herself to make sure this wasn't a dream. "Spike?"

"It's me, Love."

Dawn's mouth was open and her eyes were glazed over in shock. "This is a surprise, cause you were dead and I never thought you were coming back. We missed you."

"Its nice to see my little Nibblet as well. But you're not so little anymore."

Buffy's voice was full of curious wonder with a tinge of happiness. "How? Why? I mean I thought you died and now you're here looking attractive, healthy and un-dusty."

"Come in Spike." Dawn said and grabbed the roses. "I'll put these flowers in a vase. I know these are for Buffy, but I want to make sure they don't get wilted."

Spike walked through the threshold. "No invite needed." He put his arms around Buffy and hugged her tight, yet gentle. Spike wanted her to figure out that he was human on her own without bursting out the shocking announcement. He was hoping her slayer skills would've picked up on it already.

Andrew piped up, "he's been here before."

Buffy pulled away from Spike. "What do you mean, he's been here before? Why didn't anyone tell me?"

Andrew acted innocently. "Spike told me not to say anything and he's a vampire, scary with fangs and violence."

Buffy turned to Spike. "Is that true?"

"Yea, but Andrew told me you were out with the Immortal, and I didn't want to muck up you're perfect new life with that bloke." Spike answered. "I figured you were better off without me."

"I didn't love him and for the record we only went out like 4 times, Andrew liked him more than I ever did." Buffy replied. "I would much rather be with you, but why didn't anyone tell me that you were not dead?"

"He was all with the grr argh when I saw him LA. Spike was working with Angel." Andrew reverted to fantasy mode. "Two vampire detectives working for an evil law firm, fighting crime like a fangy Starsky and Hutch with all kinds of cool cars."

Dawn answered and put the flowers on the table. "Sounds like a great TV show, but I thought you hated Angel. Why were you with him and not with Buffy where you should be?"

He seemed glad that Dawn instantly accepted him and acknowledged that he should be with Buffy. "Its a long story, nibblet. I appeared in his office as a ghost, became a corporeal vampire again and helped him through another apocalypse. I couldn't resist a damn good fight. I see my time with Angel and his gang as a little detour in my life."

Buffy corrected in a playful way. "You mean your unlife since you're a vampire."

"Not anymore, pet." Spike paused to smirk before he spoke. "I was hoping you would figure it out with those slayer senses and all. I'm human now. Angel and I saved the world two weeks ago and we became human."

Buffy and Dawn both hugged him tight and rushed him like he won the lottery. The slayer side of Buffy wanted to be angry at Spike for not calling her, but she was so happy he was in her living room and was actually living.

Andrew quickly joined the group hug. "He's alive Froto. He's alive."

Dawn touched his hand. "You're all warm like a normal person."

"Yea. It comes with the territory." Spike shrugged.

Buffy put her head on his chest and heard the thumping of his heart. "It beating! And it sounds healthy and strong."

"The reason it beats is because I love you. You make me strong. You're the reason I fight." He said and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. "Oh god. I'm turning into that sentimental William like I was when I was human."

"I like it." Buffy smiled warmly.

"That's good." He said. "And I do have Spike traits like super strength, bad attitude, charming sense of humor, insane sex drive."

Andrew said. "We have time to listen about the adventures o' Spike while we eat our breakfast. Let's eat before it gets cold."

Spike took off his leather duster and put it on the coat rack. The girls walked into the kitchen. Buffy and Dawn's facial expressions spoke volumes about how they were feeling about their special guest and his new breathing status.

Spike looked at Andrew and at the beautifully set kitchen table with four place settings. "I thought this was suppose to a birthday party. I got the invitation and everything." He took a seat across from Buffy.

"My birthday is next week." Dawn said as she poured the syrup onto her pancake.

Andrew was so proud of himself. "I wanted Spike to be here a week early so he wouldn't upstage Dawn's big day and so we can have him all to ourselves for a while."

Spike rolled his eyes, but inside he was glad that his reintroduction was within such a small and friendly group. He was thankful that Giles, Wood, or Xander weren't here to complicate things.

Buffy couldn't keep her eyes off of Spike. "He can stay here as long as he needs to or wants to."

"You mean that, Slayer?" Spike asked. "Because the only place I want to be is with you."

"That is so good, because you're staying in my room, my bed." She said.

Andrew smiled. "So I don't have to get kicked out of the spare bedroom?"

"We were going to kick you out anyway." Buffy commented.

Dawn nodded. "I think Giles is missing you. He needs you to find more slayers and research demons."

"I was thinking about going back anyway. There is going to be a great Sci-Fi convention in two weeks and Xander and I are going to stay with Giles and hang out with all of our friends, who are true Jedi Knights."

"You have friends that actually think they are real Star Wars characters?" Dawn asked.

While Dawn and Andrew debated the existence of true Jedi warriors, Spike and Buffy were quiet. They blocked out the noise in the room and flirted with one another with seductive facial expressions. Buffy was consciously aware how she was eating her food. She wanted to look hot even if she was stuffing her face with this delicious food. Her bare foot found its way up the leg of Spike's pants.

Spike almost choked when he felt her tiny foot stroking his leg. He loved her little game of footsie and it guaranteed that he wouldn't be sleeping alone tonight. If they even got to the sleeping part after all the sex.

Buffy noticed how turned on he was becoming. Her actions became more brazen as her foot reached Spike's upper thigh and stroked his rapidly hardening manhood. He was wrapped up in his own little fantasy world as he passively sat back and let Buffy pleasure him.

"Spike! Earth to Spike." Dawn yelled. "What do you think?"

"About?"

Buffy chuckled at his lack of coherence and stopped massaging the crotch of his pants.

"Light sabers." Dawn answered.

"Dawn is under the impression that they aren't the best weapon ever conceived." Andrew said. "Dawn thinks a battleaxe is more effective, come on."

"You're both wrong." Spike smiled. "The best weapon is anything in the hands of a skilled fighter, like a vampire slayer."

"Or skilled foot." Buffy said and erupted in laughter.

Andrew looked confused. "I don't get it."


***


The group had a wonderful breakfast full of good food and wonderful conversation. Dawn didn't want to leave, but she had planned on going shopping with some of her friends. Andrew also had to leave because he was meeting a with a new slayer and her family. He strategically planned the appointment so Spike and Buffy could have some alone time.

"Spike. Do you want to sit on the couch with me?" Buffy asked.

"Of course, love." He said and plopped down next to her.

"I'm glad you came to see me. What took you so long?" She inquired and pulled him closer.

"I wasn't sure if you loved me." He looked down embarrassed at this admission.

"I told you that I did. Why would I ever lie to you about something like that?" She rubbed his arm with reassurance.

"Slayer. I was a dying man. You would've said any bloody thing to make my last moments special." Spike said. "So I would burn up with a sodding smile on my face."

"No. I missed you so much. I just thought we were ready for a serious relationship with you before the big battle." She looked deep into his eyes. "I love you. It hurt me so much that you didn't believe me."

"I'm such a jerk. You would've better off without. . ."

Buffy interrupted. "Don't finish that sentence. I just might have to slap you."

She kissed him. At first it was very chaste, but soon the passion between them started boil over. Their tongues found one another in a familiar embrace. Buffy noticed Spike's warmth and brand new spark of life. He wasn't the same man he was, this Spike was more like a new and improved version of himself.

Spike pulled back from the kiss. Buffy pouted and whined. "Stopping bad. Kissing good."

"I know I really didn't settle in yet, but I have a little gift for my sweet girl."

"You know how much I like presents." She held out her hand ready for him to drop whatever package into her palm."

Spike pulled out the small ring box out of his pocket. He got on one knee in front of her. Spike opened the box, "I want you to be my wife."

Buffy took the ring and put it on her finger. "Yes. I can't believe this is happening."

Spike kissed her. He made her feel wanted and beautiful. He held her tightly in a loving embrace. When Buffy was in Spike's arms, she felt protected and very safe.

"Do you like your ring?" Spike asked. "It reminds me of the ring my mother use to wear."

"Its beautiful." Buffy observed as she looked at the gold and diamond ring on her finger.

"Not as beautiful as my girl, my fiancée', my wife."

"I so much want to share my life with you Mr. William . . .I don't know your last name." Buffy laughed.

"Do you think the Watchers council can get me a new identity?" Spike asked. "I don't think anyone would believe that I was born in 1854---1974 maybe."

"You're avoiding the question, Spike." Buffy observed. "Last name, come on what is it?"

He went in for another kiss. Buffy kissed him back and savored the proposal. He was romantic and his lips and hands felt so wonderful; Buffy decided that they could work on the details later.

The End