*A/N: So I’m back with a new story, especially since “Everything” is lost, for now. I have two very special betas, Spikesbabyblues and Ash. Without them, my grammar and shit wouldn’t be this good. Enjoy and if you enjoy enough, there will be more.*

Prologue: The Initiative

Flashback:
“Buffy, you have so much potential. You’re too young to think about marriage…especially not with a man ten years older than you.” Joyce Summers-Giles sat across the kitchen table from her eighteen year old daughter, worry apparent on her face.

Buffy sighed loudly. “I’m eighteen years old, mother. That means legal. Besides, at this point, Angel’s age is no obstacle…I love him.”

Joyce stood, anger raging within her. “You’ve only known him for a month.”

“Whether you approve or not,” Buffy stood from the table slowly, her voice calm, “I will marry him, mom. If you have such a huge problem with it, than I have no problem leaving.”

“Well, than I suggest you start packing.” Without another word, Joyce left the kitchen, slamming the front door. Buffy took it all in, before heading upstairs to do just that.
End Flashback
*

It was the beginning of the end. Angel Rayne had come into her life the summer before she graduated, and took her life in another direction, away from college, her friends, and family. He promised her the world.

Buffy looked around the roomy two-bedroom New York apartment, and sighed. Angel’s things no longer occupied her territory, and every reminder of him was stored safely in the closet.

Four months of moving from Sunnydale, California to New York City, New York, and eloping, soon turned sour. By the fifth month, Angel’s nights were spent with his secretary, and Buffy’s were spent alone. With the separation, he had compensated her well, but she was alone.

She knew things would change, the moment he began working for his father’s law firm. It was instinct, she figured as she sat at the window seat, staring out at the city lights. Tears formed in her eyes as she thought about her mother, and beloved friends. She traded them all, for the love of a man who didn’t even appreciate her.

*

Flashback:
“Just like that? You’re just going to walk away, and leave us all hanging?” Xander Harris looked at Buffy, obvious disappointment in his eyes.

“Okay, I wasn’t exactly thrilled when you were dating Cordelia, but I accepted it.” Buffy said, mentioning one of the most popular girls in Sunnydale, Cordelia Chase.

“That was different, that was dating, and it didn’t last long! You’re talking about marriage!” He exclaimed. “Willow, back me up on this.”

Willow Rosenberg had no idea how to believe that this was really happening. Her best friend was in love, ready to get married, and leave her all alone. She was getting serious with her boyfriend, and things were changing. For Buffy to not be there through all of that…was heart wrenching. “I-um…what about school?”

“I can get back to it, Willow. I just really need you to be happy for me.” Buffy reached over the small coffee table in the Expresso Pump, and held Willow’s hand, silently begging her friend to be okay with it.

“I am…I just…I’ll miss you.” Willow said, tears in her eyes.

“Whatever.” Xander said, storming out of the establishment.

“I’ll write and you can visit.” Buffy offered. The stood and hugged.

Buffy slowly made her way outside, where Xander was sitting on the curb. “I just have one questioned.” He said, as she sat beside him.

“Shoot.” She said with a small smile.

“Are you sure that this is what you want? All of those sugar coated promises and sweet materialistic gestures?” He looked into her eyes, and saw a bit of hesitation.

She thought for a second, of what she was giving up and what she was getting in return. “It is…for now. And if it doesn’t all work out, and Angel isn’t really my prince charming…I’ll come back. I won’t have anywhere to live, since my mother is really pissed off, but I’ll come back.”

“She’s mad now, but sooner or later, she’ll realize how much she loves you.” He spoke of himself, his high school crush still reeling a bit.
End Flashback

*

The emptiness filled her, as she sat at her desk in her room. It was once their room, but walking in on him, between her thighs was enough to show the truth. She scribbled on a piece of paper, the New York Times at her side.

She wrote:
Roommate wanted. Preferably female. Two bedroom, spacious apartment, overlooking the city. Semi-low rent. No pets, and preferred no smoking. Call: (212) 555-7482.

Her stepfather would kill her if he knew…or ex stepfather. Things had taken a turn for the worse between her mother and him when she left, but she had hope for the duo. She knew that their love was eternal…unlike SOME people.

Addressing the white envelope with the address that was in the newspaper, Buffy stuffed the paper she’s just written inside along with a check. She then, made her way to the hall closet to get her jacket. It was nearing the end of November, and Buffy was not near being used to the winter weather on the east coast. After putting on her hat and scarf, she was out the door, letter in hand.

*

Flash Back:
Rupert Giles removed his glasses and cleaned them with the handkerchief in his pocket. For once he had nothing to say, he was at a loss for words. “You know…you’ve always been like a daughter to me…and if this is what you truly believe is right for you, than I give you my blessing.” The English-man finally got out.

This sent Joyce, rushing up the stairs to her bedroom, tears flowing, as Buffy stood hand in hand with Angel at the front door, her suitcases already in the cab.

Ignoring the older Summers’ woman’s antic, Angel shook Giles’ hand. “Thank you, Sir…I promise, I will give her the world.” He looked at Buffy with a wide smile, and kissed her forehead.

Releasing Angel’s hand, she flung herself at her stepfather. “Thank you, Giles, for everything.” She hesitated. “Should I go up and talk to her.”

“I’m sure she’d like a few-“

Angel cut Giles off. “Our flight is leaving in an hour…we’re a bit pressed for time. You can call when we get to New York…I’m sure she’ll come around by then.” Angel insisted.

With an unsure smiled, Buffy gave Giles one last hug, and turned her back on her only family. She watched the house on Rovello Drive disappear, and the life she had known along with it. That phone call was never made.
End Flashback

*

Two Weeks later…
He read the ads carefully and used his red pen to circle those that appealed, but when he came upon the two bedroom spacious apartment, overlooking the city, he couldn’t resist. It was the second week the ad had been run.

Rushing to the nearest payphone, the bleach blonde man, searched for a quarter. When he found, said quarter, he quickly dialed the number. It rang three times before a tired voice picked up.

“Hello?” She questioned.

“William Evans, speaking. I was calling about the ad in the paper.” His British accent was obvious.

“Well…William…I asked for a female.” She said, intrigued by his voice.

“Beggars can’t be choosers, luv. This ad has been in the paper for the last two weeks…at least allow me to check the place out.” He suggested.

She let her curiosity get the best of her, “Okay, be here by three, or forget it...and the name’s Buffy.” She gave him the address, and wondered if she’d regret it later, as she hung up the phone. Thoughts of a serial rapist, or mugger crossed her mind, but it was a chance she’d have to take.

She was tired of living in the apartment alone, and she had only been there a month. She needed to stop being part of Angel, and start her own life, and today’s phone call was the initiative she needed.