Return of the Slayer

---------------------------------

July 2003-

Being the slayer in Sunnydale was beginning to be less of an important job. Ever since The First was defeated, mostly all evil was banished, from that corner of the Earth at least and Buffy felt that it was time to move on.

Sitting around the living room, the current residents of the Summers house exchanged glances and whispers, trying to figure out what this meeting would be about. As Buffy walking into the room, everyone hushed and turned their attention to her.

“Ok..” Buffy said as she took a seat on the coffee table. “..you’re all probably wondering why I wanted to talk to you, so I won’t keep you guessing any longer. Dawn and I are moving, out of town.”

“What? Buffy are you serious?” Asked the red head, she was in a state of disbelief.

“Well yeah. I mean I’m not really needed for slayer duty anymore and I am in desperate need for a change. Also I wanted to give the house to you Willow, if you planned on staying here.” She folded her hands in her lap.

Willow grinned. “Oh Buffy, that’s so...wow. It’s housetastic!”

Buffy giggled and was about to say something when Spike decided to add his two cents. It made him somewhat angry that she hadn’t talked to him about it, he after all lived there too. “So in other words, this is where I go back to my hole in the ground.”

“You’re welcome to stay here, Spike.” Willow offered with a smile.

That of course wasn’t the answer Spike wanted. It pissed him off quite a lot. All he wanted was for Buffy to stay there, so they could work on getting closer. Of course that wouldn’t be enough to keep her there, so he just nodded at Willow and remained quiet.

“So that’s settled then, Spike’ll stay here with Willow and Kennedy and Dawnie and I will head off to good ole Arizona. I never thought I’d be leaving you guys, you’ve all become part of my family, I just don’t know what I’m going to do without you guys. I won’t be surprised if the phone bill is bigger than the state of California.” She sort of babbled, excited and sad all at once.

That was when Spike just got up and left. Buffy following him with her eyes, feeling bad that she just dumped all of this on him so suddenly. “Uh, I’ll be right back, Dawnie can tell you more...” Buffy stood and walked out, finding Spike in the kitchen, looking outside.

“Spike...can I talk to you?” She spoke quietly and somewhat worried that he would just jump up and snap her neck within a second.

“Little late for that don’t you think?” His voice was entirely filled with a cold harsh tone that perfectly expressed the angry that was held within him.

That of course made her feel absolutely horrible. Ever since that moment, that night that he held her so close and took away every worry that she ever had, she’d felt something more towards him, something new and different, something much like love. “Probably.” She walked slowly over to him. “I’m sorry. I should have told you.”

Spike jumped up out of his seat almost instantly, making Buffy jump. “You’re damn bloody right you should have!” Buffy’s eyes widened, scared of the anger he showed towards her.

“You know what, I don’t need you screaming at me right now. Or ever. I’m going to finished packing.” Buffy walked out without another word said. Spike went out the back door, the sun just setting making it dark enough for him to go out.

That’s not how Buffy had wanted their goodbyes to be. She was hoping maybe he’d stop her, say something sweet and absolutely romantic and she’d jump into his arms never to leave his side. Why did these things never work out well for her? After all she didn’t ask for much.

------------------------------

A few days later, Buffy and Dawn were ready to leave Sunnydale for good and Spike was nowhere to be found. He hadn’t even come to say goodbye. Fine. He could act however he wanted to. It was his loss.

“I love you so much Buffy.” Willow hugged Buffy, completely in tears at her friends departure. “And I’m gonna miss you and all I’m gonna miss fighting evil with you and I’m gonna miss...” She couldn’t speak anymore, her tears flowed so heavily.

Buffy was crying a little herself, as she ended her hug with Willow and turned to Xander who without hesitation hugged her tightly. “Buff, it’s not gonna be the same around here without you, who’s gonna tell me everything will be ok and who’s gonna make sure there’s always a fresh box of Twinkies in the cupboard?” Buffy pulled back and smiled at her friend.

“Don’t worry Xand. Willow’ll take good care of you.” They exchanged one last hug and Buffy went on to hug Giles. “You know, there should be a law for this type of thing, slayers are not allowed to move no matter what.” She mumured into his shoulder. “Giles, I don’t think I’ve ever told you, but I love you with all my heart. You truly are my father.”

“Oh, well, that’s quite an honor Buffy.” Giles smiled and places his hands back in his pockets. Showing a little bit of shyness.

“Where are Anya and Kennedy?” Buffy curiously asked.

“Oh they went out to get some food for our picnic later, which by the way will not be the same without you. But they said for me to give you their love and luck.” Willow said with a smile, calming down her tears.

“Ok. Tell them I said thank you. Well you guys, I guess I’ll see you around...Ok we should really go before I turn into a waterfall and drown us all.” She lightly laughed and she walked backwards waving too them.

Into the car they went, and off they were. On their way to a place far away, a home away from home.