Returning: Prologue/9



Returning: Prologue/9
By *~Rachel*~

Disclaimer
: Disclaimer: Oh yes…they are ALL MINE! (Sarcastic) Haha. RIGHT. Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, Twentieth Century Fox Productions, UPN, Sandollar Television, and Mutant Enemy own BtVS. No copyright infringements were intended. This is my story and not meant to copy the show.
Rating: It's basically PG-13 all the way though until the last part, which is sort of borderline R/NC-17
Summary: OK, everyone has done their own little version of what if Buffy and Spike were together and then Riley returned. Well, this is my version.
Spoilers: Probably most of fifth season and then since this story takes place in 6th season, spoilers for that. It doesn't really flow with the episodes, but it would be some time after "After Life" and before "Once More with Feeling," even though I make up my own "After Life" Type of scene.
Author’s Notes: Signifies thoughts.
Distribution: My site, Sinister Attraction, the groups I'm sending them out to, and....anyone else can just ask me first! (I'll probably say 'yes')
Special Thanks: Thank you SOOOO Much to my first beta EVER! Mary, thank you, thank you, thank you! You rock! For a beta-virgin, you couldn't have helped me out any better.
Feedback: YES! C'mon, lemme know what you think- positive or negative!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When Spike first saw her he didn't believe it was possible. Willow had called him asking him to come over to the Summers house right away. She told him that the gang had done something that they never thought possible and he had to see it too. Figuring that it couldn't have been anything great, he headed over to Revello Drive to see what Willow had phoned him about.

When he walked in the doorway, he saw Sweet Bit, a very tired looking Willow and a third person sitting down on the couch. Spike thought. There was no way that Willow could have pulled a trick like this and brought Buffy back. It was impossible. Yet there she was, sitting less than 10 feet away in brown slacks, an off-white top, and a black duster, which hung loosely off her shoulders. The clothes looked clean, so Dawn and Willow must have helped her change as soon as they got home. Spike's eyes immediately traveled to her hands, which were wrapped in white bandages.

 
"Buffy..." he gasped. "Buffy...it's you."

"She's a little bit shaky," Willow said. Her eyes darted around, trying not to tell him that she and Xander actually thought that the spell hadn't worked at all. "We, uh, didn't know she'd..."

"What did you do?" he asked, glancing over at Willow.

"Did a spell, brought her back," Willow said. "Her hands are...well, they're kinda all cut up from, something. We patched her up as soon as we got home though, so it'll be okay."

"She had to punch her way out of her coffin?" Spike asked softly. He had a dull memory of doing that himself.

"Yeah..." Buffy said softly, speaking for the first time since Spike had arrived. She tried to hide her knuckles from Spike's sight, trying to keep attention away from them.

"You let her come out *that* way?" Spike asked. "Let her work her own way out of a coffin buried in the ground?" He couldn't believe that Willow could be so insensitive and cruel.

"Well, we didn't know what would happen." Willow said, her voice not sounding angry or upset. She was too drained and worn out from working the very difficult spell. "But it's okay now. She's here and she's alive."

"And *she* is still in the room," Buffy said softly, annoyed that they were talking as though she wasn't even there. "Will, Dawn, can you leave me alone with Spike for a second?"

"Sure," the two girls said before walking upstairs and out of hearing range.

Spike walked up closer to Buffy, breathing her in. He'd dreamed of this, he'd wished for this -- to have her alive again and back in his life. But she looked so lost, so sad, and so tired.

Spike thought. He looked at her, trying to keep a welcoming and friendly smile on his face and not cry in front of her. He sat down on the couch, and suddenly he couldn't help himself. Everything that had been bottled up inside of him all summer came spilling out. "Buffy, I'm so sorry," Spike finally said, breaking down. "I failed. I couldn't do my job and I let you and Sweet Bit down."

"Spike..." her soft voice started. "I can't talk much...vocal chords not used to working yet, but..." her voice died off. "I don't blame you."

"If...if I can make it up to you in any way. I'll help you with anything. Wherever you were; if you were hurt or tortured, or..."

"I wasn't, Spike." Buffy said. "Don't you get it?" She stared at him, surprised that Spike of all people wouldn't understand why she was acting the way she was. "I wasn't in hell. I was in heaven."

Spike thought, listening as Buffy described the peaceful happiness of her afterlife experience and the pain of being suddenly ripped away from her mother’s presence.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~