It was a quiet Sunday evening. Willow was washing the dinner dishes and was lost in her thoughts as she was staring at the hot steam coming out of the sink. It wasn’t until the third ring that she came out of her daze just to realize that the phone was ringing. She dried her hands and answered it.

“Hello?”

“May I speak to Miss Willow Rosenberg?” a woman’s voice said on the other side of the line.

“I’m Willow Rosenberg,” she answered, a little concerned with the formality she was being addressed by, which could only mean that it was serious.

“My name is Dr. Roberts, and I’m calling you regarding the patient Buffy Summers…”

“Buffy???” Willow felt like she had been kicked in the stomach. She had to hold herself to the kitchen island. “Oh my God, is she…gone?”
She finally had the courage to ask, terrified of the answer that she had been expecting for the past 6 years.

“No, not at all, Miss Rosenberg, she is awake! She woke up this afternoon. I checked her file and I saw your name…”

“What?” she asked in shock as she dropped the phone to cover her mouth with both hands. “Oh my God, she’s awake!! Buffy is awake!” She felt the need to keep repeating it to herself, afraid that it wasn’t true. She realized then that the phone was on the counter as she heard the voice of the doctor “Hello? Miss Rosenberg? Are you still there?”

“I’m here, I’m sorry. It’s just that I can’t believe it, after all this time. How is she? Is she ok?” Willow asked nervously as she twisted the telephone cord.

“She is fine, considering the circumstances. I know it’s Sunday, but I was wondering if you could come. There are certain things that I need to discuss with you.”

“I’ll be right there.”

She flew up the stairs, looking for Tara. She and Willow had been living all this time at the Summers house. First they did it for Dawn, but years later after she left for college, they decided to stay there, in case a miracle happened. Willow found Tara reading in bed. Tara looked above her book, only to find a breathless Willow at the door, unable to move or speak.

“Willow, baby, what’s wrong?” Tara was concerned- she had never seen this look in Willow’s eyes, not since… ‘Oh my God- Buffy,’ she thought as she stood up and headed towards Willow.

“She’s awake, Tara!” Willow was finally able to say, although still unable to move.

“What? Willow, what are you talking about?” Tara held her arm, leading her to the bed so they both could sit.

“Buffy! Tara, Buffy is awake!” she finally said, breaking down in tears. “She is back, she is back!”

“Shh, I know, baby, that’s great news,” Tara said as she held her in her arms.