DANCE OF THE MATES



A/N: This is a different fic for me. It’s more on canon with the show itself. Buffy is the Slayer, Spike is a Vampire and all of the Scoobies are around in this one. It starts off after ‘Something Blue’ from season 4 and spirals off canon from there.

In this tale, Spike and Buffy got through the ‘Do Thy Will’ spell that Willow cast, however, in my tale, the spell was definitely that, a ‘Do Thy Will’ spell which means that Spike and Buffy already ‘cared’ for each other before this. The spell merely brought their real feelings to the surface, but now, with the spell broken? What happens? Easy, Spuffy of course, Spike isn’t a ‘man’ to be easily dissuaded and Buffy is more receptive then anyone thought she might be. As usual, for me, this story will be told from Spike and Buffy’s POV’s at random. Thanks!


Chapter 1: ‘Did Their Will’


Spike, or William the Bloody as he was historically known, was kicking the unlife out of a Solon Demon.

“Sorry, mate,” he kept telling the ugly green giant monster as he kicked the Solon again, “gotta’ work off some of this tension, you know?”

Apparently the poor Solon Demon had no idea why Spike the Master Vampire was kicking the shit out of him tonight. However, Spike cleared up the mystery for him, by carrying on an apologetic, if one-sided conversation.

“So Buffy and me, we almost got married the other night,” Spike began as he stepped on top of the Solon and held him down with his Doc Martin clad foot.

“Just lay still a minute, mate,” he growled at the Demon as he fished around in his duster and pulled out a cigarette and lighter. Lighting a smoke, Spike grinned down at the beaten Solon and continued his tale:

“You see,” Spike scrunched up his handsome human face, “ The red haired witch, Willow she’s called, she cast this spell that back fired. Apparently, all of the little bint’s spells backfire, but this one really went around the bend. Kind of that is.”

The Solon Demon half-smiled up at Spike, benevolently, seeing the vampire’s monologue as a reprieve for him getting his ass kicked any more.

Taking another drag on his smoke, Spike went on to explain the reason for his less then pleasant mood that evening.

“So, Buffy and me, you know Buffy. The Slayer?” He nodded at the Demon, good-naturedly, as he went on, content when the huge green face nodded back up him.

“Lovely girl,” the Solon mumbled through his gnarled teeth.

“Yeah,” Spike chuckled, “that she is,” he agreed happily, “too bad it was a spell that caused her to kiss me back. That and….”

But he stopped a minute, deciding that spilling all of his and Buffy’s secrets, while they were under that fucking spell anyway, was not quite the gentlemanly thing to do.

‘Even a Vampire has manners,’ Spike thought to himself. But Christ, Buffy had kissed him back, like a starving woman and later, when Giles had gone blind, God but what she and Spike almost did.

‘So close,’ he sighed, staring up at the stars that taunted him from their positions in the sky. He, Spike had always wanted Buffy, more then that he had been falling in love with her well, forever, but the spell, it’s what had brought the truth to the surface.

“She felt it too, you know,” Spike explained to the Demon under his foot, “she wanted me, spell or no spell. I’m over a hundred and twenty some years old. I know Buffy wanted me and cares for me. Stupid, stubborn bitch!” he mumbled as he ground his boot into the Solon’s chest a little more.

“I’m sure she does care for you Mr. Spike,” Solon choked out, “but after all, the girl has issues, doesn’t she? I mean, she kills your kind, you kill hers, that’s kind of a ‘major issue’ isn’t it? Must be tough for a girl like that to admit, even to herself, that she’s got it bad for a Master Vampire?”

Spike frowned, “never stopped her from going all ga ga in public over Peaches now did it?” he growled down at Solon.

“Peaches?” the prone demon asked. “Angel well, Angelus that is,” Spike hissed out the hated name of his Grandsire.

Solon looked up at his antagonizer, thoughtfully, “well, since Angelus left town some time ago, I would think that ‘he’ wouldn’t be a problem for you Master Spike.”

‘Reasonable enough,’ Spike agreed silently, ‘and bloody hell, after all, he Spike was much handsomer then Peaches, certainly more intelligent.’

“Why can’t Buffy see that?” he asked the poor demon below his foot. The Solon Demon was actually beginning to turn blue from the pressure of Spike’s boot, “sorry, mate,” Spike apologized honestly, “forgot you blokes need to breathe,’ he lifted his boot and helped the beaten demon up.

“Hope ya’ heal fast,” Spike shook the Solon’s talon with his left hand, noting that the fella’s color was returning to it’s normal shade of green. “Just had to vent a bit, you know? Thank’s for listening,” he nodded at the demon.

“I hope you and your lady, Buffy, work out your issues, Master Spike,” Solon grinned through broken teeth. He waved warmly at Spike and scurried off into the black night, “good luck,” he called back at the platinum blond vampire.

“Yeah,” Spike grumbled, “I’ll need luck all right, specially with that fucking Captain Cardboard, Riley Finn, sniffing around my Buffy. Him and the rest of those gang of idiots that my girl hangs with. Christ!” he kicked a huge tombstone defiantly, “bloody fucking hell! My foot!”

Spike grabbed his booted left foot and began to hop around angrily, “stupid tombstone,” he snarled, “stupid Slayer! Stupid ponce that I am, had to go fall in love with my one true enemy. Stupid fucking fate!”

Flopping down on the damp grass of the cemetary, one of three in this stupid town of Sunnydale, or Sunnyhell as Buffy and her friends called it, Spike lit another cigarette.

“Little chit cares about me,” he muttered taking a deep drag from the smoke, “she’s too damn stubborn and proud to admit it, yet that is. Buffy’ll have to come to grips with the fact that she and I belong together. I know we do, you know we do,” he growled up at the stars, “she’ll just have to get on board with it. Sooner over later that is.”

Ever since Spike had first stepped foot into this God forsaken town, from the start when he first saw her, Buffy, he’d been smitten with her. She was dancing with her friends, the whelp and the witch at that lousy Bronze dump.

Of course, Spike had gone hunting for Buffy to kill her, at first that is. But when he watched her dance, her body calling to him like a siren, he began to forget about Drusilla, his Dark Princess, and began to fall for this Golden Goddess immediately.

It took almost two years to realize it, sure, but Spike finally woke up and smelled the blood, no, the coffee. He, Spike, William the Bloody, Scourge of Europe and Southern California was crazy arse in love with Buffy Summers, Vampire Slayer. Dru knew it, or stated it, before Spike did, one of the reasons she sent him back to Sunnydale and away from her.

“Bless her cold black heart,” Spike chuckled as he thought of Dru, hoping only the best for his ex-girlfriend. “Hope she and her Chaos demon are happy as pigs in mud,” he said truthfully.

Buffy got home from patrolling the Sunnydale Cemetary, one of three cemetaries in this God awful town she was stuck in. She had chosen the Sunnydale Cemetary because it was a ‘safe’ cemetary, okay, it wasn’t ‘his’ cemetary that is. Spike’s crypt was in another cemetary and Buffy played it safe and stayed clear of that one tonight.

Ever since that damn ‘Do Thy Will’ spell, when her and Spike came real close to getting married. That and coming real close to the pre-wedding Honeymoon like they did, caused Buffy to avoid the blond vampire and anywhere near his home turf.

“Stupid vampire!” Buffy hissed angrily as she drew her bath water. “How dare he think I’d ever marry him, much less kiss him!” The warm water was inviting to her as she slipped out of her patrol outfit and into the bubbles of the tub.

“Stupid spell, darn Willow!” she pouted as she slid under the water, up to her neck. But no matter how much she tried to wash away the memories of that ‘night’ of the spell, or the way Spike kissed her, along with the soreness of patrol, it did no good.

“It was only kisses,” she sighed, “but damn, Spike kissed me like a starving man. We did almost…..” Buffy picked up the soapy loofa sponge and angrily flung it at the full length mirror on the bathroom door.

“Stupid vampire,” she sniffed again, “stupid spell.”

A stab of guilt swept through Buffy, “Riley. My real life human boy friend would never, ever understand what Spike and I almost did. Spell or not.”

Settling back onto the tub, Buffy soaked a while longer, thinking of Spike again.

“I’m so mentally disturbed,” she sighed, angry at herself more then anyone, “if I hadn’t felt some kind of ‘something’ for Spike, that spell never would have taken the course it did. I’m going to have to come to grips with it…..I ‘care’ for Spike,” she sighed again, more frustrated then ever.

“I’ll just have to avoid him at all costs, send someone else to the Holly Cemetary to patrol. Has to be done,” Buffy decided with firm determination, “I will have to remain ‘avoidance girl’ at all costs where Spike is concerned.”



A/N: Just a small chapter to get things started. If you read the title, then you might get an idea of where I’m going with this one. Please read and review. Thanks, Luv, Spuf