Author's Chapter Notes:
I don’t know where this came from all of a sudden, just a little something I thought of and decided to write. It’s just basically a conversation between Buffy and Spike that takes place after “The Girl in Question.” I think the conversation is a little amusing, but I’ll let ya’ll be the judge. Reviews are always appreciated=)
Spike was sitting in his apartment, bored out of his mind and playing video games. It has only been a day since he and Angel were in Rome and he still couldn’t stop thinking about her. Angel may have Nina, but Spike didn’t think he would be able to move on. No one could compare to Buffy. He still couldn’t believe that she was with the bloody Immortal.

Spike slammed the control down of the game he was playing and went to the fridge to get himself a beer. He found what he was looking for and then flopped back down on the couch. He was about to take a swig of the alcohol, when he heard a knock on his door. He rolled his eyes and wondered who it was now. “It’s open,” he said, knowing that wasn’t a smart thing to do in LA, but he couldn’t seem to care at the moment. He didn’t even look up at his visitor, until he heard the familiar voice.

“That’s not really how you should answer your door.”

Spike was stunned to see Buffy standing there.

She closed the door and walked into the apartment.

He couldn’t let her know how she still affected him, so he took a drink from his beer and gave her a bored expression. “What are you doing here?” he asked her, taking another sip.

“It’s nice to see you, too.” She moved closer to him. “Found out from a friend about your little visit to Italy.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Bloody git, he told you?”

Buffy nodded. “If you’re referring to Andrew then yes, I only have to look at him wrong and he caves. Told me something else about this fantasy he once had with Wonder Woman. I didn’t really need to know about that.”

Spike couldn’t help the smile that formed on his lips. “Some things never change.”

Buffy shook her head and got to the point. “So, care to tell me why you and Angel were in Rome? I think you guys have taken stalking to a whole new level.”

Spike grew angry at her comment. He stood up and moved over to her. “Newsflash, sweetheart. Not everything is about you. We were there for this demon head thing, which I guess I should be thanking your boyfriend for,” he claimed, not telling her the whole truth about why they were there.

“Right, I knew Andrew would tell you about Antonio.”

“Like you said, he can’t keep a bloody...His name is Antonio?” Spike wondered, suddenly changing the subject.

Buffy nodded and was confused when he started to laugh.

“I knew he had to have a name other than the Immortal. Can’t say that one’s any better, though.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Is that really the point? I didn’t even know that you were back until recently. How do you think it felt when I found out you’ve been back all this time and never told me?”

Spike let out a sigh and ran his fingers through his hair. “I’m sorry about that, but I had other things to deal with. I didn’t want to disrupt your life and it looks like you’ve been doing well for yourself,” he responded a little harshly.

Buffy glared at him. “You don’t know anything about how I’m doing. What, you come to Rome once and you think you’ve gotten my whole life figured out?”

“You’re with the sodding Immortal! How do you think that made me feel? We went there thinking that you were in danger and we find out that you’re dating him. How do you think that feels, Buffy? You have no idea what that ponce did to us in the past. I can’t even believe you would date him. What happened to having a normal life?”

“I’ll never have a normal life, Spike. You should know that by now. I’m sorry that you had to find out about the Immortal and I’m sorry for whatever he did to you.” She took a deep breath before she said the rest. “What we had was good, but it’s over now.”

Spike felt hurt at her words, but tried not to show it. “Well, that’s just great. Glad you could stop by. Don’t let the door hit you in the bum on your way out.” He turned away from her.

Buffy didn’t understand what happened, until realization hit her. She rolled her eyes again. “God, you really are an idiot.”

He turned back to look at her with a scowl on his face, but she wasn’t finished.

“I was talking about me and Antonio, not me and you. I meant that it’s over with me and him. Not that it’s any of your business, but I was out with him last night because I was going to end things with him.”

Spike was relieved now, but still irritated that she was with the wanker at all. “Oh, right. I knew that.”

Buffy rolled her eyes for what seemed to be the millionth time, but there was a hint of a smile on her face. “Sure you did. You’re such a baby.”

“And you’re still a bitch.”

“You know, I came here hoping to talk to a mature vampire with a soul. Do you happen to know where he is?”

“Peaches is probably still at the law firm. Why don’t you go talk to him?”

“Stupid vampire,” she mumbled under her breath, but he heard her.

“Stubborn bint,” he retorted back.

They both glared at each other for a few seconds, then suddenly started to laugh.

Spike loved the sound of her laughter; it wasn’t something he got to hear much. “God, I missed you.”

She calmed down at his words. “I missed you, too. I really am sorry. I was so gone after I lost you. I hardly did anything and I never even laughed. I think that was the first time I’ve really laughed in a while. I don’t know why I started to date him. I was lonely and he was there. If it makes you feel any better, it was just sex. There were no feelings involved.” She stopped when she noticed the expression on his face, realizing that she wasn’t helping. “That probably doesn’t make you feel better.”

Spike shook his head. “Not so much.”

Buffy nodded. “Right, forget about that then. What I’m saying is that I never forgot about you. I still love you, Spike. Even if you don’t believe me.”

Spike could tell that she was being sincere. He graced her with a smile. “I believe you. If it helps, I’m sorry I never told you that I was back.”

Buffy returned his smile. “Yeah, that was really stupid.”

Spike agreed and for once, didn’t know what to say.

Buffy then stepped closer to him, wrapping her arms around his waist. “So, do you still love me?” she wondered.

Spike couldn’t believe she had to ask that. “You know I do. I could never stop, Buffy.”

She gave him another smile and raised her head a little, so she was pressing her lips to his.

Spike kissed her back and still couldn’t believe that Buffy was really there. He didn’t think he would be able to let her go again, but he knew that she had a life in Rome that had nothing to do with him. He broke away and rested his head against hers. “You have to go back, don’t you?”

Buffy looked into his eyes, dreading the next part. “I have to, my life is there now.”

Spike nodded and looked away from her. “Yeah, I guess it was stupid of me to ask.”

Buffy cupped his cheek, bringing his gaze back on hers. “Not stupid, I take it you’ll be staying here.” It wasn’t a question.

“I have things to do here. I think we’re about to deal with the biggest battle yet. I have to be here for it.” Spike placed his finger on her lips when it looked like she was going to say something. He had a feeling about what it was. “No, Buffy. You can’t be in this battle. You’ve done enough. Like you said, you have a life in Rome now. You need to be there for the nibblet. We can handle this one,” he explained, removing his finger from her lips.

Buffy knew he was right, even though it would be hard to leave him again. “I know, I just hate this.”

Spike planted another kiss on her lips. “So do I, love. If I survive, you can guarantee I’m coming back to you,” he told her with a wink.

Buffy smiled. “You will survive, Spike. It’s what you do. No matter what, you always come back to me,” she said the last part in a whisper.

Spike pressed his lips to her forehead. “You can count on that.”

They were both quiet then as they just continued to hold each other.

Buffy pulled away, with a mischievous smile on her beautiful face.

Spike was worried about that look.

She ran her hands over his chest and looked into his eyes. “You know, I still have some time before I have to go back. Let me show you how much I love you.”

Spike raised his eyebrows as a smile also formed on his lips. “I won’t say no to that,” he replied, grabbing her hand and pulling her into his room. For once, he wasn’t worried about the upcoming apocalypse. He had Buffy’s love and right now, that was all he needed.

The End