Babies Daddy by Kimber
Summary: Spike Bledsoe finds himself between the rock and the hard place. To save his son he must choose between the love of his life and the child he needs to protect. Will his plans succeed, or fall to dust.
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations, Child Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: Yes Word count: 47020 Read: 41968 Published: 04/21/2005 Updated: 06/29/2005

1. Chapter One by Kimber

2. Chapter Two by Kimber

3. Chapter Three by Kimber

4. Chapter Four by Kimber

5. Chapter Five by Kimber

6. Chapter Six by Kimber

7. Chapter Seven by Kimber

8. Chapter Eight by Kimber

9. Chapter Nine by Kimber

10. Chapter 10 by Kimber

11. Chapter 11 by Kimber

12. Chapter 12 by Kimber

13. Chapter 13 by Kimber

14. Chapter 14 by Kimber

15. Chapter 15 by Kimber

16. Chapter 16 by Kimber

17. Chapter 17 by Kimber

18. Chapter 18 by Kimber

19. Chapter 19 by Kimber

20. Chapter 20 by Kimber

21. Chapter 21 by Kimber

22. Chapter 22 by Kimber

Chapter One by Kimber
Buffy waddled into the kitchen with her left hand holding her lower back. She was firmly convinced that if her belly grew any larger, she'd need a wheelchair to get around in. If anyone had told her pregnancy would be this hard, she was sure she would have had thought twice about it.

"Honey, what are you doing up?" Joyce asked, since her daughter had just lain down on the couch twenty minutes ago.

"I just can't watch one more minute of soap opera love life," Buffy huffed. She moved to sit at the kitchen table before she continued to complain, "It reminds me too much about my life."

"Well, maybe if you had told him," Joyce tried to reason, for the first time feeling comfortable bringing the subject up for further discussion.

"Oh, yeah, like he would have chosen me, his wife over the woman who is the mother of his firstborn son. Now I'm the ex-wife and he is all settled down with his new family."

"You could have given him the choice of which child he wanted to be the live at home parent with," Joyce objected, wondering why her daughter never informed her now ex-husband about the pregnancy.

"I didn't see it that way. He had a choice. He knew we were trying to start a family. He had to have known I could've been pregnant when he chose to leave." Buffy patiently attempted to explain some of her reasons for why she hadn't informed Spike about her condition.

Joyce came to sit across from her daughter. She placed her hand over Buffy's and gave it an encouraging squeeze, offering the young woman her support.

The tears began to flow down Buffy's pale cheeks as she continued her woeful tale. "Instead, he never even asked if I could have conceived and hasn't even bothered to find out if I had. That tells me that neither I, nor any child we made, matters to him."

Joyce felt like someone had punched her in the stomach. To hear the pain in her baby's voice and see the anguish on her face made her sick to her stomach. Her hand tightened over Buffy's, wishing she could take on some of her burden, to help lighten her oldest daughter's load.
"But hey, just think; I don't have to figure out visitations or feel obligated to him for child support. Once the babies are born, it'll be time for school to start. Willow and Dawnie have offered to share daycare duty, so I can go back to work. My babies and I will live our lives, and eventually 'HE' will be nothing more then a bad memory,” Buffy told her mother, hoping with all her shattered heart that her words would come true someday.

"Honey, I'll help you any way I can, you know that,” Joyce promised as she stood to finish making them some lunch. "You know Rupert and Dawn will, too."

"I know, and that's why I know it'll all work out," Buffy reassured her, even if on most days, she felt as if she was barely hanging on to her sanity.

Sniffling sadly, Buffy looked down at her rotund, seven and a half month pregnant belly. Inside her womb she carried twins, a dual reminder that her ex-husband didn't love her as much as he had once told her.

"Don't worry, little ones, it's his loss," she whispered, thinking her mother wouldn't hear.

Joyce kept quiet after hearing her daughter's comment, realizing the words were not for her ears. She was never a violent person by nature, but right now, she would love to get her ex-son-in-law alone in a room. Just a few hours would be all she would need to make Spike Bledsoe hurt for doing this to her daughter.

*******

Spike smiled as his four-year-old son ran toward him, the boys sparkling blue eyes and prominent cheekbones telling him he had made the right choice, proving without question that he was this child's father.

"Daddy, look what I found!" Nigel yelled as he showed his father the funny looking rock he'd bought at the Zoo's gift shop.

"What a big rock. We will have to show all your friends what a big rock you have." Spike chuckled as he lifted his reason for being there up into his arms.

His lawyer had told him it would be impossible to win custody of his son unless he could prove Dru to be an unfit mother. That had left him with a difficult decision, one that cost him the love of his life. One he regretted every day since leaving her five months ago.

"Yes, my William, I think we should," Dru purred as she joined her son and now fiancé.

"Hello, pet," Spike greeted Drusilla with a forced tender kiss, praying she wouldn't figure out how much he hated her.

It had been very hard trying to make it look like he wanted to reestablish the relationship; they had before she had up and left him five years ago. Every night he went to bed hoping he'd wake up next to his sunshine, and this past 5 months was nothing but a bad dream. Spike missed his Goldilocks terribly, but knew in order to save his son this was the only option he had at the time. If Dru ran, he never would find his son again, because that is how good she was at hiding.

"Well, well, look what we have here, honey." A familiar voice broke into Spike's little family moment. "If it's not Mr. Heartbreaker himself in all his glory." Xander Harris addressed the peroxide blond pain in the ass with an expression of pure hatred.

"Xander, please don't. You promised Buffy," Willow begged her husband. "This won't help her at all."

"No, but it makes me feel good." Xander glared at the man who had broken his best friend's heart as he continued, "The only thing that could beat this would be if I read some day soon of his gruesome demise."

Willow gasped. "Come on, Xander. We need to find Giles and get out of here."

They had come with Rupert to keep him company and to enjoy the Zoo. Giles had some research material he had to drop off to a friend that worked there. Otherwise, they would have been at home in Sunnydale instead of here in Los Angeles.

"Oh, Rupert is here?" Spike asked, wondering if he had the courage to ask the older man about Buffy.

Willow turned her attention toward Spike for the first time and tried to control her feelings as she again pleaded with her husband. "Let's go, Xander. He really isn't worth our time or the bother."

Spike felt the pain of their rejection of him. It angered him that they showed him such disrespect, especially in front of his son. "Please try and refrain from making your comments in front of my son."

"Your son? How sure are you of that, Spikey?" Xander asked sarcastically. "Did the DNA come back a perfect match? 'Cause you know the old saying; 'mommy's baby, daddy's maybe'." Xander snorted as he took his wife's hand before turning to leave.

They left Spike and a wide-eyed Dru behind as they walked away to find Giles. Their day had been perfect until they had come upon Buffy's ex-husband kissing the bitch he had left their best friend for several months ago.

"You know, you can see he's Spike's son," Willow said, wishing they'd never come with Giles today. The last thing she needed to see was Spike acting the family man with someone other then Buffy.

"Yeah, I know. I just hope for her sake that the twins only look like Buffy." Xander sighed, wishing he could have punched the punk ass bastard just one time.

"Whelp! Wait up,” Spike called out. He'd decided he wasn't going to let them have the last word.

Xander's body stiffened, his face turned red, and his facial expression made Willow shudder. She was certain things were about to get ugly.

Spike felt a chill travel down his spine. He'd never seen Harris so angry, so close to committing a violent act, as he did right at this moment. Usually he was a laid-back person and very easy going.

"Spike, please. Just go and be with them," Willow pleaded, trying to keep the confrontation from happening.

"Them? He's my son,” Spike growled.

"Okay, so we've been told,” Xander replied his body rigid and his fists clenched at his side.

"Listen, things happen," Spike tried to explain, wishing he could tell them everything. Make them realize it was all about keeping his son safe.

"Things happen? You married Buffy, promised her the forever until death do you part. After everything she'd been through with Angel. After you brought her out of her shell and made her believe in love again, and then you crush her,” Xander shouted, wondering how this poor excuse of a human being thought he could explain what he did to his best friend.

"She'll survive," Spike said, fully believing she would. "She's stronger then you give her credit for."

"Fuck you, Spike!" Xander barked. "Rationalize it all you want. You deserted her, abandoned the woman you vowed to love, honor, and cherish and a few other lies you told her."

Willow tried to stop her husband before he lost all control and revealed more than he should. The last thing they needed was for Xander to let Spike know that he'd left more then just Buffy behind. Something very personal that would remind Buffy of her ex-husband for the rest of her life.

"Baby, people are looking at us," Willow said desperately, wishing that Giles would show up to help defuse the situation.

"I need to be here for my son," Spike insisted. "Buffy said she understood."

Willow felt her anger start to boil over and was about to tear into the insensitive brute herself. Instead, a distinguished voice spoke before she had a chance to say anything.

"Willow, Xander, please wait for me back at the car,” Giles instructed the couple in a tone of voice that everyone knew meant to obey his command, no questions asked.

As the couple walked away, Spike felt his life was no longer threatened. If looks could kill, he would be dead where he stood with the last glare Harris directed his way.

Spike turned to face the older man that loved Buffy as if she were his own flesh and blood. Giles knew Buffy from high school. Through her, the librarian had met and married Buffy's mother, Joyce.

"Don't ever speak her name again," Giles said. His voice held a threatening quality and his eyes were cold and deadly as he appraised the man that broke his Buffy's heart.

"What did you expect Buffy to say? Did you think she would have begged you not to leave her? To sacrifice her dignity and plead for you to stay with her? She'd already done that with Angel and all she got in return was humiliation. Why in the bloody hell would she risk the same treatment from you? Answer me that, would you?" Giles demanded. He couldn’t believe how badly Spike had misunderstood Buffy's so-called understanding of the situation.

For the first time, Spike realized just what he might have done to his Goldilocks. He'd only thought of being with his son, protecting him and being a permanent fixture in his life. Even if it meant he had to live with Dru. He'd never really thought of how it might hurt Buffy in the end. He had truly believed that having the support of her friends and family would make it easier for her to move on and live her life. Had he been living a life of protective denial all this time, only to have that shield ripped away?

"Live your life, Mr. Bledsoe. Enjoy your son. I really cannot comprehend why you felt you had to choose." Giles gave the young man a look of pity as he added, "I just hope you realize one day what you gave up, and that you choke on it."

Spike wondered what had happened to make them hate him so much. He was sure if anything bad had happened, Joyce or Dawn would have called to let him know about it. The last time he had seen Buffy was at the lawyer's office four months ago. It looked like she had put on a few pounds, but she appeared healthy.

He watched as the older man walked away. For about the hundredth time he wondered if he had made the wrong choice. Should he have tried to fight Dru in the courts and raise his son with Buffy? Every night he fell asleep dreaming of saving his marriage and keeping his son.

Dru's threat that she would run and he'd never see Nigel again was a valid one. He knew she would make true her promise, take the boy where he'd never be found. Drusilla had connections that would hide her for the rest of her life. The only way he'd find her would be if she wanted to be found.

********
Chapter Two by Kimber
"Buffy, I want you to watch what is passing between those lips. Your blood pressure is up a tad more then I like and you've gained a pound or two more then I like to see. But your sugar is good and there's no protein in your urine." Doyle O'Bannon, her OB/GYN, who specialized in high-risk pregnancy, told her.

"Dr. O'Bannon, I'm trying, but next step is eat like a rabbit." Buffy sighed, wondering how much longer, she would be able to stand all of this. Everything hurt; even sitting for ten minutes in this otherwise comfortable chair was a strain.

"Buffy, dear one, we just need to get you as close to 34 to 36 weeks as we can." Doyle reminded her gently, his lovely Irish lilt taking any sting away from his words.

"I know, 3 or 5 more weeks to go, come on Father Time, speed it up would ya." Buffy said trying to joke but found it lame even to her ears.

Doyle just rolled his eyes as he gave her an understanding smile, since she was not the only pregnant woman who was tired of third trimester for so long, as he asked to change the subject. "So, are you sure you don't want to know the wee ones sexual identity?"

Buffy adamantly shook her head no. The last thing she needed was to know if she was giving birth to a son let alone two of them. Since finding out she was pregnant, all she prayed for was having a daughter, now daughters.

"Nope, will let it happen naturally." Buffy answered, knowing she would be more depressed with the knowledge she was carrying a son. The son she was sure Spike would still have rejected over his first-born.

"I want to see you next week. Try and elevate those piggies of yours and drink more water." Doyle advised as he tried to give her his stern doctor in charge expression.

"Fine, you will find me on the couch with pillows everywhere and a water cooler within reach. No longer a pregnant log I will be, but a beached whale." Buffy snorted as she tried to push her overly rounded, short, little body out of the chair as she said, "I will see you next week Dr Stricty pants."

"Take care, my little Buttercup." Doyle said with a slight chuckle, as his favorite patient waddled out of his office. He had noticed how pale she was, but her blood work was great. He was sure it was because of her being unable to sleep for very long periods at a time.

Buffy rubbed her bulging tummy as she walked into the waiting area. Willow was there waiting for her which had become a common practice since she found out she was pregnant. If not for her best friend, she surely would not have survived so far. As much as she loved Xander, Willow knew what she needed right now. A friend, who just listened when she needed to talk, was the best medicine right now.

Willow felt worried at Buffy's appearance. She noticed the dark circles under her eyes, which had become more noticeable of late. The last thing anyone needed, especially Buffy, was for her to become ill during this pregnancy. She was sure it would lead Xander and Giles on a Spike hunt.

Xander, Giles, and herself had decided not to tell Buffy about their encounter with Spike and his little family. The last thing Buffy needed was to be upset at the reminder that Spike had moved on.

"So, Waddle Goddess, what's the word?" Willow asked as she forced the bad thoughts away, joking with her best friend instead.

"More lying around with my feet up and drink more water. Seems I have graduated from lake to ocean drinkage. Just call me, 'Free Buffy'." Buffy said as she fought back a yawn.

"You're beautiful, and I think someone is in dire need of a nap." Willow said as she reached out and put her arm around Buffy as they started to walk outside.

"Am I wrong in not telling Spike?" Buffy whispered as they approached Willow's car.

"No, you aren’t,” Willow quickly answered, feeling Buffy needed her support now more then ever. "Right now, you and the babies' welfare come first, and Spike be damned."

The redhead understood Buffy's feelings on the matter of how Spike should have realized she could have been carrying his child when he divorced her. She also knew it would have been more difficult for Buffy to face this alone with the knowledge he knew and still didn't care.

Buffy smiled through her tears at her friend as she said, "Thanks, Wills. I don't know what I would've done without you guys. I really don't."

Willow was quick to point out, "Well, it's not something you have to think about or find out. Friends forever, just like we promised that day you made me prick my finger."

"Hey, it worked didn't it?" Buffy teased. "Friends forever."

"Yes, it did," Willow replied as she pulled the car keys from her purse and pushed the unlock button. "Even if I did faint at the sight of blood."

"Buffy Summers, is that you?" a familiar female voiced asked.

"God! Not now." Buffy mumbled under her breath as she turned to see who had called her name. "Hello Faith." She greeted the woman who had stolen Angel from her five years ago.

"Well, well, looky here. Buffy's all blown up." Faith giggled. "You have that 'my husband left me, had a one night stand fuck, and forgot to use protection look about you.'"

"Shut up Faith," Willow quickly chastised the brown-haired woman for tormenting her best friend.

Faith ignored the redhead as she continued with her insults. "Oh! Or is that why Blondie dropped your ass? Was he not ready to be papa yet?"

Buffy felt a wave of dizziness come over her as she grabbed onto the car door. She felt like the world around her was spinning. A wave of nausea attacked her with a vengeance and everything around her started to fade away.

Willow paled when she noticed Buffy's eyes start to become unfocused and she cried out, "Buffy, are you okay?"

Faith noticed how pale and out of sorts Buffy had suddenly become. She saw that the pregnant woman was about to faint and rushed forward to grab her. Never did she expect this kind of reaction from Buffy and it scared her. She started to feel guilty for being such a bitch.

Doyle and a co-worker, Doctor Wesley Wyndam-Pryce, were coming out of their office building when he heard someone yell, 'Buffy!' Turning in that direction, he felt his heart race as Buffy collapsed.

"Come with me,” he said to Wesley as he broke into a run, noticing a dark haired woman assisting Buffy to the ground.

He ran as fast as he could pulling out his cell phone and calling for an ambulance at the same time. "Yes, this is Dr. O'Bannon. I need an ambulance at the parking lot of 3347 Oakland Drive. I have an unconscious pregnant woman here."

"Buffy!" He yelled as she dropped to his knees beside her. The scream of an ambulance could be heard in the background.

Buffy's eyes flickered upon hearing her name called by various voices. They seemed familiar, but she didn't care. Things were being said that made no sense, and she didn’t have the energy to try and any of it out.

"Her pressure is 180 over 100."

"She's not responding to verbal or a sternal rub."

"Her pressure has been borderline her last two visits."

"Faith upset her."

"Who's Faith?"

"Her."

"What did you do to upset her?"

"Just called her on who's the Daddy?"

"You heartless Bitch!"

"Hey, who're you calling a bitch?"

"I'd say if the shoe fits, wear it."

"We've got an IV established and she didn't even flinch."

"I'll call Joyce and the others."

"Yes, you do that ducks. I'll ride with her to the hospital. Wesley, can you take rounds for me?"

"That won't be a problem."

"Okay"

"Hey, Doc, let's get a move on," the paramedic yelled as they lifted the cot with Buffy strapped to it lying on her left side.

"Should I call Spike?" Faith asked.

"No!" Willow snapped, "Please, don't. He's not a part of her life anymore."

Faith noticed how upset the redhead was and decided she'd talk to her husband, Angel, first. "Don't worry, Red, won't say a thing to bleach boy wonder."

"Please, Faith, it would only make matters worse right now. If not for Buffy, think of the babies' welfare." Willow begged of her.

The thought of the little lives depending on Buffy's health made Faith promise and the guilt hit triple fold on her conscience as she vowed, "I swear, I won't tell a soul."

"Thank you,” Willow said as she pulled out her cell phone to make her calls.

*******
Chapter Three by Kimber
Spike opened the top left drawer of his desk and pulled out a picture frame. Inside was a picture he had taken of Buffy on their honeymoon. It was the morning after their first night as man and wife and she'd been standing on the balcony with the sunny sky as the background, gazing at him with all the love in the world in her eyes.

"I love you, baby," Spike whispered as he took his finger and traced her face in the picture. "I'm nothing without you, but I have to be here for him. I have to be the father to him that my father wasn't for me. I'm so empty inside without you, and instead of getting better it's getting worse. I just don't know what to do."

He leaned back, bringing the picture to his chest, remembering how he had woken her up that morning. Waking her as he made love to her, tasting her moist warmth as she sighed his name. Since he had won her heart and brought her to his bed, he had not been able to sleep without her beside him. Even now, he found that to be true.

He was sure Dru felt it, since he never slept with her in his arms. The sex wasn’t even the same, and he found it harder and harder to pretend that he wanted his dark princess in that way any longer. Then it hit him; it was just sex and that was the problem. Sex didn't satisfy him any more, not since he'd got a taste of what making love with Buffy was like.

Suddenly he felt a rush of fearful anxiety come over him. He started to pace, unknowingly clutching the picture hard enough to his chest that the soft felt portion broke.

"Oh God! What have I done?" William cried as he finally realized he had hurt his Goldilocks more than he'd realized. He decided to make a phone call that he should have made when Dru had first dropped back into his life, making demands and issuing threats.

Spike grabbed his phone book and shuffled a few pages until he found the number he was looking for. His thoughts focused on one thing; praying the man would hear him out. On his wedding day, Hank Summers had told him to call if he ever found himself in a jam he couldn't get out of.

"Hank Summers."

"Hank, please don't hang up. I need to talk to you," Spike begged.

"It had better be good," Hank replied, his voice calm and neutral.

"I have a story to tell and then a favor to ask," Spike said, as he stood at his office window with the image of his true love in one hand and what might be his salvation in the other.

"I can meet you in, say, thirty minutes," Hank replied, wondering what the young man was going to tell him.

Hank had been very surprised when Spike left his daughter. He was so sure that the younger man was devoted and committed to the marriage, unlike anyone he'd ever met before. Then he had done some investigating and found out a few things that made him understand why Spike did what he felt he had to do. But he had to hear it from the man himself first, to make sure his assumptions were true.

Spike hung up the phone and brought the picture of Buffy up to where he could look at her face and promised, "I'll get you back. If I have to beg, plead, or bleed, I will get you back. And when I do, you won't get rid of me until I'm dead and buried."

He realized now that he hadn't thought everything out as he should have. He'd let his fear of Dru's threats to take Nigel and disappear push him to act rashly. He knew that going the legal route would have been too slow and Dru would have had his son out of his reach by then. Spike had yet to get enough on his dark princess to get custody of Nigel and get him totally away from her.

*******

Buffy felt like she was living in a dream. She recognized her old bedroom from when her parents were married and they lived in L.A.. The one she was now watching herself standing in with her father's arms around her that fateful day as he explained why he was leaving.

"I'm sorry, baby girl," Hank whispered into his daughter's hair as she cried.

"You don't have to leave us," Buffy cried, her heart breaking and the tears running down her cheeks.

"I will always love you. You're blood of my blood," Hank promised. "Your mother and I have grown apart. Our dreams no longer are the same, but we both want what’s best for our girls."

"In other words; you love someone else more than us," Buffy replied.

She wasn't dumb. She’d heard her parents argue about the other women over the last couple of months. They argued all the time about everything, and his job kept him from home a lot.

"Buffy, it's between me and your mother," Hank told her firmly. "It doesn't concern you."

Buffy pulled away sharply and shouted, "Doesn't concern me? You won't be here anymore, Daddy. You’ll have to fit me into your busy schedule."

"No, honey, I will always be there for you," Hank promised, as he pulled her back into his embrace.

Dream Buffy rolled her eyes as she told herself, 'Yeah, that lasted a whole six months. Then it was broken promises, lies, and hardly ever there when it was important for him to be there.'

Buffy started to feel like the room was spinning again and she wondered if she was about to wake up.

*******

"Rupert, please tell me my baby will be okay," Joyce cried as her husband held her close.

He looked over and noticed that Dawn was being taken care of by Willow and Xander. He hugged his wife close, rocking her back and forth. He didn't know what to say so he chose to say nothing at all.

They sat quietly waiting for someone to come and give them any news concerning Buffy's condition. As far as they were concerned, the only ones that mattered were in the waiting room now. No one thought to call Hank, and definitely not Spike.

*******

"Her blood pressures have been running 140's over 90's, no protein in her urine to suggest eclampsia, but enough that I was watching her more closely," Doyle explained to the Emergency room attending physician, Dr. Mark Greene.

"Well, her pressure now is 138 over 90. Everything is looking fine so far where the labs are concerned. I'm thinking we need to shield her abdomen and get a Cat Scan of her head. Might even have someone come down to do an EEG and see how her brain waves are doing," Mark suggested. "We need to find out why she is still unconscious."

"I know," Doyle agreed, praying to the Almighty that no harm had come to her brain.

"I'm going to go and talk it over with the family. Do you know if the father of the babies is here yet?" Mark asked.

Doyle shook his head and shrugged his shoulders. "There's no father of the babies coming. She’s a single mum and her mother is her next of kin."

"Okay, let's go and talk to her family. The bed is ready in the ICU and we’ll be moving her there shortly," Mark said. He wondered if this young mother was going to be able to carry these precious little lives inside her womb much longer.

*******

Buffy's eyes started to focus as she found herself back in high school. She realized it was the day of the first gymnastic meet of her senior year. It was the same day Angel asked her out on a date. 'If only I had known then what I know now.'

"You were fantastic," Angel praised her performance.

"Thanks, it was really fun," Buffy said as she smiled at her secret crush.

She developed a crush on Angel two years prior when he first moved to town. Since then he dated several different girls before settling on Cordelia Chase. Cordy was the head cheerleader and he was the captain of the football team. Over the summer they had broken up, leaving him unattached.

Buffy rolled her eyes as she watched her younger self flirt with Angel. She wanted to walk over and smack her other self upside the head and tell her to run like hell, but it was like her feet were glued to the ground, and they ignored her when she yelled at them.

'It's my dream, why can't I do what I want?' she asked as she looked to see if anyone was listening.

"I was wondering…would you like to go out with me to the movies on Friday?" Angel asked.

Buffy smiled, hoping her voice wouldn't fail her. "Sure."

"Great, pick you up at six and maybe we can grab something to eat first."

Buffy fought the urge to scream 'yes!' as she calmly replied, "Sounds great, here's my address."

"Already have it." Angel winked.

"Oh!" She blushed. "Well, I'd better go. My mom is waiting for me outside."

"See you tomorrow at school."

"See ya then."

Buffy stood watching Angel watch her younger self leave the gym. The predatory look on his face made her wonder what he was thinking. She wondered why he chose her, and then broke her heart in the end.

Once again, she felt the funny feeling in her head as the room became unfocused.

*******
Chapter Four by Kimber
"Spike."

Hank glared as he took the chair opposite the desk, facing his ex son-in-law.

"Hank, I want to thank you for coming here," Spike said, noticing the look of contempt the older man was giving him. "I just hope you can help me after I'm done telling you about why I left your daughter."

"Either that, or I'll kill you," Hank said in a matter of fact tone, his expression angry.

Spike nodded his understanding, believing the man wasn't lying. He figured it was best to start from the beginning. So many things concerning his own childhood affected his actions concerning his son.

"I was raised by my mother. My father left when I was barely two years old and I haven't seen him since. Not that my mum did a bad job at raising me, but I always missed having a dad. So when Dru showed up with Nigel and gave me the ultimatum of leaving Buffy and being with them, or she'd take him where I would never find him again, it made me act rashly. I knew she'd make good her promise and I'd never see my boy again. Dru is not my mum, do I have to say more?" he explained, wondering if it made a difference with Buffy's father.

Hank leaned back in his chair and watched the emotional display before him. Most of it he already knew from when he'd done a background check on the man before he married his daughter. The rest he would find out later today once he ran a background check on this Dru person.

"I take it you don't trust the mother of your son to take care of him properly?" Hank asked.

"No, I don't," Spike answered, "Over the past couple of months I've tried to find evidence against her, but I keep coming up empty handed. I get the feeling she's threatened him not to say anything to me when I'm alone with him. I need to protect my son from his mother and the only way is either to stay with them or find a way I can leave and take him with me. She can't ever be alone with him again."

Hank recognized the deep pain in the younger man's eyes and wished he could make it all go away. He realized that Spike Bledsoe had made one of the toughest choices in his life when he had chosen his son's safety over his own happiness.

"I'll do whatever I can to help you. But if I find you're lying to me for some reason, there is nowhere you can hide from me," Hank warned him.

Spike sighed in relief before he told Mr. Summers the rest of his plan. "I plan on getting my wife back." He felt Buffy's father should be made aware of his intentions toward his daughter.

"I'm glad to hear that," Hank replied, giving the young man an encouraging smile. "She needs you more than you know. Does she know why you left?"

"I told her just what I told you, but I'm thinking that she wasn't really paying attention," Spike said. He realized Buffy probably hadn't heard him, but instead focused on what she'd thought it meant. "She is my world, my everything, but she has family and friends to look after her. My son only has me."

"Not anymore. He has us," Hank reassured the young man. "Let me get some people on this and I'll get in touch with you. I think it would be best if no one knew we are talking."

"I agree," Spike said right before he asked, "How is she?"

"Maybe you should call her up sometime, ask her yourself. In fact I think you should call her very soon." Hank hoped Spike would do as he said.

Today, seeing Spike voice his love and what he had tried to sacrifice for his son, made him look at the young man in a different light. Unlike him, Spike had thought about his child before his own happiness. Hank remembered a long time ago when he'd placed the job before his family. It had been the worst decision of his life, and one he would always regret.

"Maybe I’ll just do that," Spike replied, feeling better now that he knew he was not alone anymore.

"I’ll need everything you can give me on this Dru character," Hank informed him as he became very down to business.

Spike wondered what line of business Hank was in, but had never asked before now. "Hank, what do you do for a living?"

Hank just smiled as he answered, "There are just some things you just don't talk about. You never know who might be listening in."

Spike nodded his head in understanding as he pushed the large envelope toward the other man. He decided not to ask any further questions as he watched Hank put the information inside his briefcase.

"Take care of yourself and your son, and if you need anything call me," Hank said before he turned and left Spike sitting at the table.

Hank was sure he would have everything he needed to know about Nigel and his mother by the time he got back to his office. His gut instinct had told him to do it ever since Spike had called him. He had some of Drusilla's information from the background check on Spike.

******

Buffy again found herself somewhere from her past. She looked around the church where she was supposed to be married a long time ago. The people looked happy and excited to be there. Dawn was peeking out of the door leading to the back of the church. All things she had missed having been locked away in the back putting on her wedding dress.

She noticed Faith was sitting in the last pew at the back of the church with a smug look on her face. It was as if she knew ahead of time what Angel was going to do and was here to watch it happen. It hit Buffy then that the bitch had actually come to gloat.

Once she heard the Church Bells ring, she looked toward the back of the church and watched as the door flew open. Out ran her past self with tears falling and a look of devastation on her face. That day Angel had come to her and told her he didn't love her and never did, and he couldn't marry her.

It would seem he had only thought of how she fit the image of an executive's wife. How she would have been the right one for the job to raise his children. Instead, she had insisted on staying in college and making a career of her own.

"Buffy, I tried, honest I did. But I just can't marry you," Angel told her as she stood before him in her wedding dress with a shocked expression on her face.

"Angel, it's our wedding day," she replied, not knowing what else to say.

"I'm sorry, but I just couldn't put on the monkey suit and make myself lie anymore," Angel explained, the look on his face telling her that he wanted nothing more than to just turn around and leave her there.

They had dated for the last two years when Angel had asked her to marry him. Now the day was upon them and he was tearing her world apart.

"Why would you be lying?" Buffy whispered as the tears threatened to fall.

"Because I'm not in love with you is why," he said with a shrug of his shoulders. "Buffy, I found someone else. Someone who completes me and gives me what I need."

"Then why did you ask me to marry you?" Buffy asked as she wrapped her arms around herself, wondering when she was going to wake up from this nightmare.

"Other than Cordy, you were the best one for the job of being my wife," Angel said as he gave her a look of such indifference that she knew he wasn't lying. "You fit the image of the perfect hostess, wife, and mother when we first started dating."

"You were never in love with me, it was all a lie." Buffy finally realized she was just another step in his career plans.

"I could have come to love you, I think, but you wouldn't put me first. You planned on finishing school and starting your own career, without once thinking I would need your support," Angel explained. "Well, I found a woman who is willing to put me first and is willing to do more in bed than just have sex."

Buffy felt like he had just stabbed her with a knife. The pain to her heart was so great she found herself unable to breathe at first. She had to leave. She could no longer stand there and listen. She lifted her dress and ran as if the hounds of hell were nipping at her heels.

The whirl of white passing her made her dizzy, and she found herself suddenly standing in her mother's house once more. Finding herself again a spectator on her past life, she wondered where this was leading her.

It wasn't until weeks later that she found out who Angel had left her for. For about three weeks, she had locked herself away in her room. She only came out to use the bathroom or to eat something when forced by her mom. Finding out that Angel had left her for Faith was totally by accident.

"I can't believe he married her so soon after leaving my baby girl on their wedding day," Joyce fumed at her husband.

"I know dear, I wish I could do like in the olden days and call him out," Giles agreed, the anger in his voice evident.

"Faith Wilkins, of all people! I just can't believe it."

"I can. After all, she is the mayor's daughter," Giles sighed. "She can open a lot of doors for Angel in the future."

"Yes, but she is such a…how do I say it without sounding like a bad person?" Joyce's frustration was obvious as she tried not to speak ill about the loose woman.

"I know what you mean, my dear wife," Rupert said as he put his arm around her and pulled her close. "I cannot believe they married so quickly."

"I can't believe he had the nerve to marry her in the same church he was supposed to marry Buffy in," Joyce ranted.

"Angel married Faith? When?" Buffy asked. She felt like her world was spinning out of control once more.

"Buffy, honey I didn't know you were down here." Joyce moved toward her daughter only to stop when Buffy stepped back.

"Just tell me," Buffy demanded angrily.

"They were married yesterday at St. Catherine's," Giles told her reluctantly.

"St. Catherine's. He married her in our church," Buffy repeated dully as she turned back to the stairs. "I think I need to get out of here for awhile…get some air."

Joyce and Rupert watched as she climbed the stairs as if in a trance. Not twenty minutes later, she came down freshly showered and dressed in her running clothes and shoes.

"I'm going for a run," she told them offering up a weak smile.

Learning that Angel had moved on with Faith Wilkins made her realize she couldn't let this break her, but she did promise herself to never let anyone that close ever again.

Buffy watched herself leave the house and wondered why she had not stuck to that vow. Why had she let Spike Bledsoe worm his way into her life? She should have had this trip down memory lane before they were married.

*******
Chapter Five by Kimber
Dawn listened as the doctor explained the reason for all of the tests. He was saying they were moving Buffy to the intensive care area so they could monitor her and the babies more closely. The tests were to help find out why her sister was still unconscious, and if the situation became drastic enough, they'd be ready to save the babies.

"Are you telling me my daughter might be brain damaged?" Joyce asked.

"I’m saying we don't know the extent of her condition and we need further testing to find out the cause of why she is in a coma-like state," Dr Greene explained, not wanting to commit to the diagnosis of a coma just yet.

"Should I call her father, then?" Joyce asked guiltily, knowing she should have called him as soon as it happened.

Everyone quietly listened to the news that Buffy was still unconscious, but that the babies were doing okay for the moment. Willow and Xander held each other tight while lost in their fear and pain. Rupert's attention was focused on his wife, who was struggling to comprehend her oldest daughter's fate and understand exactly what the doctor was telling them.

"Once we have her settled in the Neurological Intensive Care Unit, one of the nurses will come and get you. Until then, we have a couple of tests we are going to do while she is still in the emergency room," Dr. Greene continued to explain.

"Thank you, Dr. Greene," Joyce said as she turned into her husband's embrace.

"One last question…it concerns the babies father," Dr. Greene started to say before the man holding his patient's mother interrupted him.

"He is of no matter. He is not involved with Buffy or the babies' welfare whatsoever!" Giles replied. "Joyce, her mother, is the responsible party."

"Dr. Rayne will be the neurologist taking care of your daughter. He is in examining her now," Dr. Greene informed them before leaving them, accepting the fact the babies' father would not be involved.

No one noticed that Dawn had left the lobby. Her fear of losing her sister caused her to seek out the one she felt responsible for it. She made her way to the pay phone and dialed the cell phone she'd committed to memory so long ago.

"Bledsoe, here," Spike answered his cell phone.

"You no good fucking bastard."

"Dawn, is that you?" Spike asked, shocked at the foul language coming from her mouth.

He'd just called and left a message on the Giles' answering machine that he needed Buffy to call him. He wondered if Dawn had heard it instead and was calling him to tell him what he could do with it.

"God, I hate you. You killed her. It's your fault this is happening, you son of a bitch," Dawn continued to rant to him over the phone.

Spike's heart felt like it had stopped beating. "Dawn, what are you talking about, killed who, who died?"

"Like you would care. You have a new family now. You're no better then Angel. No, make that worse than Captain Forehead. At least he didn't marry her and fill her head with all kinds of lies. He didn't…"

She never finished her sentence because the phone was taken out of her hand.

"Who is this?" Giles asked carefully, fearing he already knew who was on the other end of the phone line.

"It's me," Spike replied. "What's wrong? Who is dead? Where's Buffy?"

"Spike, you no longer have the right to know anything about this family," Giles tried calmly explaining to the young man instead of just hanging up the phone without saying anything more.

"Tell me, Rupert. What the hell is going on that Dawn is calling me and telling me it's my fault?" Spike tried to reason with the older man. "Please, tell me it's not Buffy. God, please…tell me she's okay! None of this will be worth it if she's not okay."

"Buffy's in a coma-like state and the doctors don't know why," Giles explained and was shocked at the deafening cry of pain on the other end before the phone went dead.

Joyce was now hugging her youngest daughter to her chest when she noticed the worried look on her husband's face. "Honey, what's wrong."

"Spike didn't take the news well," was all he said, giving her a look that said they'd talk more about it later. "I think you should call Hank now."

"Yes, I think you're right," Joyce agreed, as she kissed the top of Dawn's head before handing her over to Rupert to comfort as she made her call.

*******

"Summers," Hank answered the phone. He wondered who in Sunnydale would be calling him, since he recognized the area code.

"Hank," Joyce said, unable to say anything else right away.

"Joyce, honey, what's wrong?" Hank knew that if Joyce was calling him, something had to have happened.

"It's Buffy, Hank. The doctors don't know why, but she won't wake up," Joyce said as she started to cry.

"I'm on my way! I’ll be there as fast as I can," Hank said.

"Hank, our baby girl…" Joyce continued to cry as she leaned her head against the phone.

"Are you alone? Is Rupert or Dawn there?” Hank asked, hoping she wasn’t facing this alone.

"Yes, they're here," she answered.

"Good, put Rupert on the line," Hank instructed her. "I'll be there, baby. I promise."

"I believe you," Joyce replied as she turned to offer the phone to Rupert. "He wants to talk to you."

Giles and Joyce exchanged Dawn and the receiver as he spoke into the phone, "I'm here."

"How is Buffy, really?" Hank asked, knowing Rupert's nature was to be calm in the face of chaos.

"No one really knows yet. They're still running tests," Rupert answered.

"The babies? How are the babies?" he asked, feeling like an elephant was sitting on his chest.

"So far, they are doing just fine," Rupert reassured him.

"I know this will sound crazy, but has anyone contacted Spike?" Hank asked, waiting for the fireworks to go off.

"It would seem that Dawn has made a rather accusatory phone call to the man in question," Giles sighed.

"How did he take it?" Hank asked, worried about the young man.

"He doesn't seem to be taking it well," Giles answered, wondering the sudden interest Hank had in Spike's welfare.

"Giles, listen to me carefully. I met with Spike today and he shed some light on a few things. I'm going to find him and make sure he hasn't done anything crazy. I’ll explain more when I see you, and I think you’ll have a better understanding on things as I do." Hank decided his ex-wife's husband would understand and be more apt to help with getting Spike and Buffy back together. "Why don't I call you and tell you more after I find Spike?"

"I'll keep an open mind," Giles promised, for some reason he believed the man.

"Did Dawn tell him about the twins?" Hank asked the man who now played father to his daughters.

"No, and neither did I. We'll talk more when you get here," Giles answered, wondering how all of this was going to play out.

"I think I'll leave that part out as well. See you soon," Hank said before he hung up the phone.

"Is he coming here?" Dawn asked as she watched Rupert hang up the phone.

"Yes, your father is coming here," Giles informed her as he put his arms around both Joyce and Dawn and hugged them as tight as he could without hurting them.

"Do you think Spike will come?" Dawn asked.

"No," Joyce said, believing he wouldn't.

"Yes," Giles said, knowing he would. "I think we should prepare ourselves and the others for the arrival of both men."

"Why? Spike can go wait at a hotel," Dawn replied. "He doesn't have to stay here."

"I don't think he'll be so willing to wait in the hotel when he finds out Buffy's condition and that she is carrying his children," Rupert decided not to pull any punches.

"He left her, remember?" Dawn pulled away and glared at her stepfather.

"Yes, not knowing he'd left her in the family way. She kept the truth from him, thus lying by omission. I don't think that he'll be angry. I think he'll be afraid and riddled with guilt," Rupert said, thinking more about what Hank had implied.

Joyce silently wondered what Hank had shared with her husband. Realizing it wasn't the time to ask, she decided to let it go for now. Later, when Dawn wasn’t in earshot, she would demand he tell her what Hank had said.

"I think we keep quiet for now, about the fact that Spike might be coming here. The last thing we need is for Xander to be angry and upset for no reason," Joyce suggested.

"I think that would be a wise plan, my dear," Giles agreed as he gave Dawn a meaningful look.

"Fine, I won't say anything, but if he comes here, I'm not going to talk to him," Dawn said as she glared at Giles.

*******
Chapter Six by Kimber
Spike sat in the middle of his office staring at everything that used to be on his desk. It all lay scattered on the floor, a few things broken where he'd thrown them against the wall.

He wasn't aware how much time had passed as he continued to cry and rock. He didn't hear his phones ringing or the voice of Hank Summers talking to him. His thoughts centered on remembering the day Buffy Summers had came into his life.

"Honestly Spike, I don't know how you do it,” Charles Gunn said after watching yet another beautiful girl give him her number. "What's that? Like, the fifth one tonight?"

"What can I say, mate? They love the sexy bad boy look. It's the black clothes and leather," Spike explained. "Just wish I would meet someone who I want to give my number to in return."

"Please, home boy, don't tell me you would kick none of those girls out of your bed," Gunn snorted as he gave the bleach blonde a knowing look.

"Can't kick out something that's not there now, can I?" Spike asked as he gave his friend a wink before looking around the club.

"Excuse me," a soft voice said behind the two men.

Spike turned around and came face to face with the most beautiful woman he'd seen in a very long time. No one had come close to sparking his interest since his dark princess had up and left him a year ago.

"Hello, pet."

"Hi. If you'd step aside please, so I can get past you," Buffy said, without really looking at the man standing before her.

"I will, if you answer one question for me,” Spike said, wanting to know everything about this lovely creature.

"I really would like it if you'd just move aside," Buffy replied.

"Go out with me tomorrow night," Spike said, not wanting to let her leave.

The look she gave him was cold and angry. "I don't know you, so why would I go out with you"

"Then let me introduce myself. I'm Spike Bledsoe, and this is my friend, Charles Gunn. We're seniors here at UCLA. Charles is in pre-law, and I'm majoring in Business and Accounting," Spike said as he held out his hand in greeting. "Now you, pet. It's your turn."

"Buffy, are these guys giving you a hard time?" a little blonde dressed in too much pink asked.

"Well, I have the first name, can I get the last?" Spike asked as he leaned to the side trying to get her to look directly at him. "I promise you I'm a very nice guy, once you get to know me."

The moment she looked up at him and he glimpsed her pretty green eyes, Spike knew he was nailed. He knew he'd do anything and everything to get to know her better.

"God, pathetic much? Can't you tell when a girl isn't interested?" The bundle of pink said as she tried to worm her way between him and Buffy. "Now, take me for instance. I would go out with you in a heartbeat."

"Sorry, but as you said-- pathetic much? I’m not interested in asking you out. I'm only interested in asking out your friend, Buffy," Spike said, as he looked around the other woman to see the shocked look on his green-eyed kitten's face. "How about it, Buffy? Would you go out with a bad rude man such as me?"

"Why do you want to go out with me?" she asked him.

"Because, for the first time in a year, I found someone who I want to get to know better,” Spike said as he gave her an understanding smile.

"I'm not sure," she said. A look of confusion replaced the shocked expression.

"Don't disappear on me, pet,” Spike told her, quickly taking a few moments to wait for her to nod her head. Spike turned and waved the bartender over. "Care to lend me a pen, mate?"

The bartender smiled as he handed over a pen and piece of paper. Spike then scribbled his phone number on the paper and handed the bartender his pen back with a quick thank you before turning back toward the girl and her obnoxious friend.

"Here's my number, take your time and think about it," Spike said as he handed Buffy the paper with his name on it. "If you decide not to call me, burn it, don't give it to your friend, there."

He noticed she smiled when the blonde bint in pink huffed and stormed off. She looked at him and put the paper in her front pocket before she told him, "Can't make any promises. My goal is school, no funny business."

"Believe me, Buffy, there will be no funny business." Spike leaned down so their noses almost touched. "Something tells me if you give us a chance, there will only be good business between us for a very long time."

"Summers."

"Summers?" he asked.

"My last name is Summers," she said with a shy smile.

"I hope to hear from you soon, Buffy Summers," he whispered, giving her a cocky smile before he turned and signaled to Gunn that he was ready to leave. "See you around, Summers. Don’t worry, I understand that I’ll have to earn your trust. I'm not a patient man when it comes to something I want, but for you I will take up meditation if I have to."


"Spike, look at me boy!" Hank yelled as he gently shook the man's shoulders. He was past worried because the young man hadn't responded to his voice.

"Hank?" Spike whispered as he tried to figure out how the man got here, then he remembered the phone call. "Buffy! She can't be dead! She can't be."

"She's not. Now let's get a move on here," Hank told him. "We need to go and pick up your son and take him with us."

"But Dru won't let that happen," Spike replied, feeling as if he was in a daze. "She never lets me take Nigel from the house by myself."

"Oh, I have a plan," Hank said as he helped the younger man to his feet. "Call the baby-sitter and suggest she take him to the park. We'll meet them and you can get your son. We can pick up what we need in Sunnydale when we get there."

"But she can get me for kidnapping," Spike told him.

"Spike, trust me. The last thing that poor excuse of a mother would want is to get the police involved, and if she does? Well, I have the information that will take her down. I’ll tell you more on the way to pick him up. Now make that phone call," Hank insisted as he pushed his cell phone in the man's hand.

Spike took his phone and called Candice, Nigel's nanny. He was sure she'd be at the apartment he shared with Dru and their son. He refused to let Dru live in the home he'd shared with his Goldilocks.

"Hello."

"Candice, please pretend you're talking to a friend. Is Dru at home?" Spike asked, relieved that the woman had answered the phone and he didn't get her voice mail. He hoped she would play along.

"Yes, hello, Becca! Gosh, it's been so long," she replied, wondering what Nigel's father was going to ask her to do. "I see my mom must have given you the number."

"I need you to do as I say. I’ll explain more when I see you," Spike explained. "I need you to tell Drusilla that you're taking Nigel to the park to meet your friend and her young son. Meet me at the swings as soon as you can."

"Yes, it would be wonderful to see you. Blake and Nigel are the same age, and I know he loves playing with other kids," Candice said. She seriously hoped that Mr. Bledsoe was going to take his son and get him as far away from the loony broad that claimed she was his mother. "I'm sure they would have an awesome time together. Hold on and let me ask his mother."

Dru had been pretending not to listen to Candice's conversation. She had to work hard to hide her excitement, burying her nose in a magazine as she waited for the girl to ask her question. From what she’d overheard, the nanny was planning on taking the little brat out of the house. Maybe if she was lucky, Spike would come home early and they could have some quality time together. Maybe she could start to make him forget about that other woman.

"Miss Downing, do you mind if I take Nigel to the park?" Candice asked, knowing the woman would say yes.

"That would be lovely, he likes the park," Dru cooed and clapped her hands.

"Great! Becca, we should be there in about twenty," Candice said, with a shit eating grin on her face. She'd definitely missed her calling. She should have been an actress instead of a nanny.

"Candice, you are amazing," Spike chuckled over the phone. "See you in twenty, ducks."

"It'll be great seeing you, too," Candice replied sweetly. She hung up the phone and went to collect a few things she knew Nigel would want with him. She was sure they'd fit in her backpack.

"Looks like we have lift off," Hank said with a satisfied look on his face as he turned to look at Spike.

"I don't know how I can thank you for this," Spike said as he gave Hank a grateful look.

"Just make my girl happy again, and I'll be in your debt," Hank replied.

Spike nodded his head as he fought the tears that threatened to fall. He refused to believe that he'd lost his Goldilocks. He was sure that whatever was going on, someone would make it all better in no time.

*******
Chapter Seven by Kimber
Buffy watched her dream self stare after Spike as he left the bar. She wished she could walk over and tell herself to throw the paper with his number away.

"God, rude much!" Harmony said as she returned to Buffy's side.

The fact that they'd known each other in Sunnydale and had a few classes together at UCLA was the only reason they associated with each other. Buffy had decided to transfer there from Sunnydale University to get away from Angel, who still took classes there.

"You should be careful who you associate with, Buffy." Riley came up behind the two blonde women.

Buffy looked from Harmony to Riley and decided all she wanted to do was go home. For some reason, she didn't want to stand here and listen to them talk down about Spike. She knew that Riley was just acting jealous because she had refused to date him.

Dating was still something she didn't want any part of, and she still couldn't understand why she had taken the piece of paper with Spike's number. All she knew was that he seemed to understand her, had touched her and knew she had been hurt. His comment about having to earn her trust had made her take a second look at him. In fact, it was what gave her the courage to keep his number just in case she decided to call him.

"Earth to Buffy," Harmony said. "Forget about him, he's rude and obnoxious."

Buffy laughed. "You're just pissed because he wasn't interested in you."

"Gee, I bet if I went to him now, he'd give me the time of day," Harmony challenged.

"Don't think so, since I have his number and he specifically told me not to give it to you even if I decided not to use it." Buffy giggled as she was about to turn and leave.

"Buffy, don't tell me you're actually thinking about calling that punk?" Riley demanded. His strident voice made her stop and look back at him.

"I'm not sure, he told me to think about it." Buffy shrugged. "So I’m going to think about it."

"But I've asked you out more than once," Riley whined as he followed her across the bar.

"Riley, I told you before that I don't like you that way," Buffy explained, hoping he'd stop trying get her to go out with him.

"But, you'll go out with the 'Billy Idol' wannabe," Riley snorted.

"Damn, I was wondering who he reminded me of," Buffy giggled. "Billy is more rugged looking, though. Spike is much easier to look at."

Riley tried to get her to see reason. "Buffy, you just met the man!"

"Riley, I haven't said I'm going to call him, but it doesn't change the fact I’m not going to go out with you." Buffy had tried to be nice but the man still refused to take a hint. "I'm not looking for Mr. Right anymore. I don't want a relationship. Been there, done that, and got nothing but my heart broken for it. I'm here for an education and that’s all."

"Fine! You know, maybe if you'd been a little more into being a real woman and not the academic scholar, your heart would still be intact," Riley snarled before he turned and left in a huff.

"Don't listen to him. He's an ass. A cute ass, but still an ass," a deep voice said behind her.

Buffy turned and bumped into a tall man with tousled brown hair and friendly brown eyes. "Excuse me!" she said.

"Hi, I'm Lorne. And don't worry, sweet cheeks, I'm not after you. Let's just say you're not my type. Lorne gave her a cheeky wink. "But I would like to give you some free advice, honey, take it as you like. Leave big and bulky alone. He's too much He-Man for a girl like you. Now, that hot little blonde that slipped you a piece of paper? Perfect for you. His aura matches yours perfectly, little one. I'll tell you what…" He slipped an arm through hers and led her towards the door. "Let's you and me go get a cup of coffee and compare notes."

"I don't know you at all," Buffy laughed as the obvious gay man kept checking out the men's butts the whole time he was talking to her.

"But I'm the best girlfriend you'll find here." Lorne chuckled. "I’ll even let you paint my nails while we talk about boys."

Buffy felt as if she had found a friend she could actually talk to. Willow was in Sunnydale. Her best friend couldn't leave her boyfriend, Xander, so she'd decided to stay at SDU. They still talked everyday via email and instant message. Even Xander had gone against his vow not to become computer knowledgeable so he could keep in touch with his best friend.

"Okay, let's find us some decent mochaccinos and we can talk about boys." And with that he guided her out of the club to the coffee house down the street.


Buffy watched her past self leave with the man that become a very important friend to her. If not for Lorne Caritas, she never would have made that call five days later. He pushed her to call Spike, and became her confidant when she broke down and cried her last tears over Angel's betrayal.

*******

Spike and Hank walked over toward the swings. Hank had filled him in on what had been uncovered concerning Dru's missing years. It seemed she had gone by several aliases and was wanted for kidnapping her own child under one of them.

Social services in Pilot Point, Texas had taken Nigel from her and had placed him in foster care. Someone had reported her for abusing her son, and when they came to check out the complaint, they found him locked in a closet with his pillow and blanket. Dru had somehow discovered where his foster parents lived and had taken him from his bed one night to come here looking for Spike.

Nigel's nightmares, his fear of the dark, his aversion to going in his closet, and his need to have his favorite pillow and blanket in bed with him every night…all of it made perfect sense to Spike now. He was amazed that the boy’s sweet nature had survived his mother's mistreatment of him.

"God, I want to kill her," Spike mumbled as they drew closer to where he was going to pick up his son. "Bloody hell, Hank! What if they won't let me have him?"

"Spike, while we're in Sunnydale, we'll have you both tested to make sure he is truly your son. Then we'll petition the state of Texas for custody," Hank suggested. "Once we're settled in Sunnydale, I'll notify the authorities to Miss Downing's whereabouts."

"What if he isn't my son?" Spike whispered.

"Then you and Buffy have a big decision to make," Hank told him as he watched the boy recognized his father and came running towards them. "If Buffy is in agreement, you both could adopt him."

"Hank, I don't want to lose him," Spike whispered.

"Then have faith it will all work out," was all Hank could say.

Hank got his first good look at Nigel and grinned. He had no doubt that the child running toward them was Spike's child. "If he isn't yours, then I have to say Dru found your twin."

Spike smiled as he agreed. The boy looked too much like him not to be his. He dropped to his knees and opened his arms, allowing his boy to jump into his arms. After today, he'd move heaven and earth to protect his son from his evil bitch of mother.

"Daddy, I missed you today." Nigel's voice was excited, since he had come to love his father with all of his little heart. "Swing me."

"I missed you, too, poppet, but we can't swing today," Spike told him as he hugged him close. "We are going on a little trip, you and me."

"Where's Mummy?" Nigel asked, his voice sounding happy, not sad that his mother might not go with them.

"No Mummy. We're going to go and meet someone very important to Daddy," Spike said, again refusing to believe that Buffy was seriously ill. "I want you to meet Mr. Summers now, and then we'll meet Buffy later on."

Nigel peeked shyly up at the man who was standing next to him and his father. "Hi!"

"Hello back." Hank knelt down giving the young boy a charming smile. "Would you like to call me Grandpa Hank?"

Nigel's eyes grew big and his smile widened. "Are you my grandpa?"

"I am if you want me to be," Hank said as he watched Spike give him a shocked look. "No matter what, young man, we'll know each other for a very long time."

"Are you sure about this?" Spike asked him.

"As sure as my name is Hank Summers, I'll accept him as one of my own," Hank promised. "Now, let's get a move on, and you might ask your nanny if she wouldn't mind tagging along. She could help with our boy here while we get a few other things taken care of."

"Where is it you want me to go?" Candice asked, having quietly joined them.

"We need to take a trip somewhere and we're not sure when we'll be back," Hank told her. "We'll have time to stop and pick up a few of your things, but you can't tell anyone you're leaving town."

"No problem, my folks are at work and no one's home. I just need to leave them a note saying I'll be gone for the weekend," Candice replied. "They have washing machines where we're going, right?"

"Yes," Hank replied, liking the girl's attitude.

"Then all I need is a couple changes of clothes and I'll be set," Candice said as she ruffled Nigel's hair. "Hey, brat, you don't care if I tag along with you guys, do ya?"

"You can come," Nigel answered as he smiled at his nanny, showing everyone present just how much he looked like his father.

"Thank you Candice. We'll explain on the way. At least, all that we can, with small ears present," Spike said, as he gave her a relieved smile of gratitude.

"Come on, little man, I think you'll like this big car we're riding in," Hank said, as he watched how Spike lifted the boy in his arms and carried him to the limo.

"Nigel, no matter what happens I love you and want what is best for you," Spike whispered as he nuzzled his son's curly brown hair with his nose.

"Okay," he said with a yawn as he laid his head trustingly on Spike's shoulder.

Hank knew he would do everything he could to protect this child. He also wanted no other man to be a father to his unborn grandchildren. In his eyes, William James 'Spike' Bledsoe had the makings of being a great father.

*******
Chapter Eight by Kimber
Buffy smiled as she recognized the dorm laundry facility. This was the day that Spike proved his manliness and started his true mission. He told her on the night he asked her to marry him that he'd known that day she was to be his, and from that day forward he made it was his mission to make it so. Once again, she watched a moment from her past replay itself, with her as the spectator.

"Lorne, I can't believe that really happened," Buffy giggled as she listened to her friend talk about how he had come out to his best friend about being gay.

"Honey, girl, let me tell you! He' bout had the coronary event of the century. His sister tried to warn him. His mother tried to tell him. I dropped little hints over and over, but no, he had to come into my apartment while I'm getting busy with boyfriend surfer dude. Lo and behold he gets an eye full and faints dead away." Lorne chuckled as he helped her move her things to the dryers.

"Just don't tell me what he got an eyeful of. I don't need the visual," Buffy snorted as she put the coins in the slots. "Are you guys still friends?"

"Best buds in fact," Lorne said. "I was the best man at his wedding last year."

"Is this a private meeting or can anyone party?" a familiar voice asked.

Buffy blushed, since she was holding a pair of her thong underwear in her hand. "Open to all students," she quipped trying not to look at the man who gave her his number three days ago.

"Good to hear, pet. Long time no see," Spike said, as he looked from her flushed face back to the pink scrap of silk in her hands.

"Well, well! Aren't you just the sweetest thing?" Lorne purred as he checked out the handsome Englishman.

"Sorry, handsome, but I'm not your type," Spike chuckled. "Though I wouldn't mind getting to know your friend there a little better."

"I'm sure you would, sweetness," Lorne replied, giving Buffy a knowing wink.

"So, are you a student here, Greenjeans?" Spike asked Lorne, who happened to be wearing a pair of bright green pants.

"Yeah. Graduate this year, majoring in Dramatic Arts," Lorne said as he shut the dryer door and then turned to ask, "How about you, Blondie?"

Spike replied, "Business and Accounting with a little dabble in Creative Writing."

"My, a looker and a thinker. Buffy, I think this one could be a keeper," Lorne teased.

Buffy glared at her friend. He knew how she felt about romantic entanglements.

"Don't worry, pet, I’ll wait for when you’re ready to call that number I gave you," Spike said as he emptied his bag of laundry into the closest empty machine.

"Don't tell me you're washing all of that together?" Buffy asked as she glanced from Spike to the clothes he had dumped in the washer.

"Well, yeah." Spike shrugged his shoulders.

"Don't you separate your lights and darks?" she asked.

"All darks, pet," Spike replied as he added his money and started the washer.

"But different fabrics need different temperatures," she tried to explain.

"Just doing the jeans, tee shirts, and socks is all."

"No under-…OH!" Buffy almost said underwear before she realized he might not wear any.

"Oh, smart, romantic, and goes commando,” Lorne said as he gave the blonde hunka man another perusal.

"Well, I guess you can wash them all together," Buffy mumbled, face flaming as she tried not to check if he wasn't wearing any undergarments right now.

"Don't like how they leave panty lines," Spike joked. He caught her eye and winked as he walked over to take a seat and wait for his clothes.

"I'll be back." Buffy practically ran to the restroom.

"She's been hurt." Lorne dropped all pretense as he stood before the other man. "If you’re just looking for a good time, leave her alone."

"I kinda figured that one out," Spike replied, keeping his eyes on the bathroom door. "Not looking for just a quick fuck, here."

"Good. I would hate to have to hurt you," Lorne's voice altered, becoming lower and threatening.

"Don't want you to hurt me either," Spike replied. "'Sides, she might be the one to hurt me."

"Best advice I can give is to not give up," Lorne told him.

"I'm now on a mission," Spike said with a determined look on his face.

"Could be mission impossible, and you're not Tom Cruise," Lorne replied.

"Nope I'm taller and prettier to look at," Spike snorted.

"That I have to agree with," Lorne laughed.

Spike started to hum the Mission Impossible theme when Buffy came out of the bathroom.


Dream Buffy remembered how after that day, it became an every Saturday occurrence. The three of them and sometimes Charles Gunn would meet to do laundry and play poker while they waited. One week later, Lorne had dared her to call Spike and agree to meet him for coffee.

If only she'd known then what she knew now. Maybe she wouldn't be having this mind travel right now.

*******

Doyle slid down the wall as he looked at Buffy's brain on the view screen of the MRI. The relief of finding nothing showing a stroke or tumor had made him too weak to stand. Still, no answer as to why his favorite patient was unconscious. If the sound of machines didn't wake her up, he didn't know what would. The damn thing could wake the dead, it was so loud and irritating to listen to.

Now they needed the EGG tech in so they could measure her brain activity. That was the next important step. They were making room for her now, thinking the need for the Magnetic Resonance Imaging was more important.

"This is promising, very promising," Dr Ethan Rayne, the Chief of Neurology, said as he examined the different views on the screen. "Has she been under a lot of stress lately?" he asked.

"I know she and the babies’ father recently divorced and he doesn't know about the pregnancy," Doyle answered. "She has seemed mildly depressed, but not to the point of interfering in taking care of herself."

"We'll be able to tell more once we see the EEG results," Ethan commented as he changed the screen to a different view.

"I think I'll go and tell her family what we know so far," Doyle said as he worked to stand up.

"I'd like to go with you and interview the family if you don't mind," Ethan muttered as he started to run the case and the presenting facts, so far, through his head.

"It's her mother, stepfather, sister, and a couple of family friends," Doyle informed him.

*******

"Babycakes, you need to stop letting that not-so-Angel freak interfere in your happiness," Lorne sighed as he and Buffy sat on his couch sharing a pint of double chocolate mint ice cream.

"I don't want to talk about it," Buffy pouted, as she spooned another portion of creamy goodness.

"But Spike is too damn cute to pass up, girlfriend," Lorne protested as he gave her a disbelieving look. "Plus he knows how to treat a lady."

"Lorne, please you don't understand." Buffy's voice became tearful as she stopped eating her ice cream. "Angel left me on our wedding day after telling me I wasn't worth it. He left me and married the mayor's slut of a daughter at our church not long after."

"That no good, dirty rotten, slime, rat eating, blood sucking, soulless, evil, poor excuse of manhood that ever walked this earth," Lorne growled out without taking a breath.

Buffy started to cry, and then laugh, and then cry again. She felt Lorne's left arm wrap around her and he murmured, "You let it out, honey. Lorne's here and will be your crying towel."

Her cry session lasted for a good twenty minutes before she was able to sit up and use the back of her hands to dry her eyes. She got a look at the tearstains on the man's shirt and felt worse. Never mind that the ice cream was now melted, what was left of it, anyway.

"Lorne, I ruined your shirt," she said as she gave him a worried look.

"Listen toots, it's only a shirt," he replied, not mad at her whatsoever. "Do you feel better?"

She gave him a sheepish look and nodded her head, "But not because I cried all over your shirt."

"I know, sweets," Lorne soothed her. "But you can do something to repay me," he said thinking he'd use guilt to get it done if he had too.

"What?"

"Call that gorgeous hunk of British cream cake and take him out for coffee," Lorne suggested.

Buffy contemplated his request. On one hand, she wanted to push him away and tell him to leave. On the other hand, she wanted to go over to her purse and find the number and call.

"Okay," she said, shocking both her and Lorne.

"That's my girl. Don't let that brute of an ex keep you from your prince charming," Lorne cheered as he pulled away, standing up. "You get the number, shortcake, and I'll get you the phone. No time like the present to make the call that will change your life for the better."


Buffy watched another part of her past play out as she made the fated call that started her on the path of becoming Spike's wife.

*******
Chapter Nine by Kimber
"Are you trying to say that my daughter's coma is psychologically induced?" Joyce asked Dr. Rayne, feeling an urge to go hit him for even suggesting it.

"No, Mrs. Giles, I'm gathering all the information I need so that I can do everything I can to treat your daughter correctly and safely," Ethan tried to explain to her.

"She's not crazy!" Xander exclaimed rather loudly, causing other people in the ICU waiting room to give them a mixture of sympathetic and dirty looks.

"No one has said she is," Ethan said calmly trying to keep in mind that they were worried about their loved one.

"Then why ask if she was under a lot of stress? Like this could be why she’s in a coma," Dawn accused him as she stood with her arms across her chest and glared at him.

"I treat the brain, and I've found it works in mysterious ways. Ways we will never learn the meaning of or understand, no matter what. During my time of treating patients I have learned never to leave a stone unturned," Ethan said trying to reassure the family his intent was only to treat his patient to the best of his ability.

"When you have ruled everything physically possible then come and ask me again, Dr. Rayne," Joyce firmly told him as she turned to walk toward the window.

"May I speak to you in private?" Giles asked the doctor, knowing Joyce would be mad at him.

"Certainly, Mr. Giles, you can," Ethan relaxed, feeling a connection with his fellow compatriot. "If you would come with me, we can go to the staff lounge."

Joyce turned and glared at her husband's back. A part of her realized he had Buffy's welfare in mind, where the other part felt betrayed. She refused to believe her oldest daughter to be so weak minded to do this to herself.

*******

Hank knew he should tell Spike about Buffy's other condition, as well. He just couldn't bring himself to be the bearer of more distressing news, especially since he didn't know how the babies were doing. The more he watched Spike interact with his son, the more he came to realize what a good man William Bledsoe really was.

"Can I have a puppy?" Nigel asked as he looked up at his father's face.

Spike took his time to answer, thinking how much he had wanted a pet when he was younger. "I think when you're five years old, it would be a good time for you to ask me again."

"Why?"

"Because I think you'll be old enough to help take care of a puppy by then," Spike explained, leaving out the part of them knowing more about their future.

"Can I pick it out?" Nigel asked, wishing he were five years old now.

"What kind of puppy do you want?" Spike asked. Talking like this with his son was a wonderful way to get to know him more and to take his own mind off what was waiting for him in Sunnydale. Dru never gave him much father-son alone time with his boy.

"Big and black," Nigel told him.

Spike chuckled at how this young version of himself reminded him of when he was a child. He had wanted a big black dog as well, one that would growl and keep the big nasty monsters from under his bed.

"What would you name him?" Spike asked, as he looked down at the excited young face looking at him with so much love and trust.

"Black," Nigel answered.

"I like that name," Spike said, chuckling as he ruffled his son's hair.

Nigel's face lit up at his father's words. He climbed upon Spike's lap sideways facing the window, leaning against his father's chest and said, "Don't lose me. Mummy said you lost us once."

"Never, Poppet. I won't lose you I promise," Spike quickly reassured his son as he hugged him close and silently vowed to make Dru suffer for lying to and mistreating his son.

Hank reaffirmed his promise as well. There would be no rock he'd leave uncovered if Dru got away. He would find the bitch and make her pay for all the trouble she had caused with her selfish blackmailing schemes.

Candice sat silently on the other seat and knew Ms. Downing was never going to see her son again. Normally she'd feel bad about it, but not this time. She was doing her version of the happy dance inside her head.

*******


Buffy again found herself watching her past self bring her memories back. This one was the first of many with Spike. The first most important one, other than the night he gave her his number, of course.

"Hello, Pet," Spike said in greeting when he approached her table with a soft glance and an easy grin.

She had broken down and called him with Lorne's firm encouragement. He had answered with a bored tone to his voice that had become more alert and excited when he heard it was her calling. She had asked if they could meet for coffee Friday evening and he had quickly said yes.

"Hi, yourself," Buffy said as she tried not to let him see how nervous she was.

"I have to say I'm glad you called," Spike said as he took the seat across from her. "I was getting ready to start phase two of my plan."

Buffy couldn't help but smile as she asked, "Phase two of what?"

"Part of the mission was to get Buffy to ask me out for coffee," Spike replied with a straight face.

"Okay, what would you have done if I hadn't called you?" she couldn't help but ask because she was dying to hear what utter nonsense he was going to tell her.

"Oh, I had planned on skywriting it over campus, 'Buffy call me, 678-4440, Spike'," he said with a shrug of his shoulders and a sparkle in his eyes.

"And if that didn't work?" she asked, watching his smile grow.

"Then I would write it on the black board on all of your classes," he replied, with a mischievous grin on his face.

"You seem to have this all figured out," Buffy said as she leaned back feeling intrigued and frightened at the same time.

"Buffy, I just want to spend sometime with you. Get to know you better," Spike explained as he continued, "If all we do is become friends, then that's one more friend we both have."

"So, you wouldn't consider this a date?" she asked.

"Only if you want it to be, I'm willing to take it slow," Spike replied.

"I'm not looking for Mr. Right or Mr. Wrong. I'm not looking for mister anything. I just want to get my degree and establish my career," Buffy explained, telling him up front her life plans.

"What do you want to be when you grow up, Pet?" he asked.

"I want to teach school-age kids art and drawing for now," she said. "Someday, maybe move up to college level or be like my mother and work at an art gallery."

"Sounds fun and exciting having all the little ones to keep you busy teaching them their colors and such," Spike said, his voice not mocking but very serious.

"How about you? What are you going to be when you grow up?" Buffy asked, turning his question back on him.

"I want to run a publishing company one day. I like business as a whole, and I love the written word either used to tell a story or to express one's self in prose."

"You like poetry?" she asked in a pleasantly shocked voice.

"Yes, I do. Why does that surprise you?" Spike said giving her a curious look.

"I just have never met a man who liked poetry before. I find it refreshing," Buffy answered as she started to relax and enjoy his company.

"Maybe one day, when I get to know you better, I might let you read a few that I've written," Spike said as he gave her a shy smile.

"Great, I can't wait to read them," Buffy replied just as the waitress came to get their order.

Buffy knew her time revisiting this part of her past was over as she felt things around her start to blur. She wondered why she was on this time travel reliving her past instead of being in the present and preparing for her future without her William.

*******

Hank had the driver drop them off at the Sunnydale Community Hospital 's emergency room entrance. He figured it would be where he would get some answers quicker. It would be a safe place for Spike and the others to wait until he talked to Joyce. His gut told him that Nigel would be the anchor that Spike needed, when the young man found out everything about Buffy's condition.

"Lindsey, go and grab us a couple of rooms at the Hampton Inn, three in fact," Hank told the agent, figuring he would room with Spike and his son.

"Will do, Mr. Summers. I’ll come back once I have everything settled and will only be a phone call away," Lindsey replied as he watched his boss get out of the car followed by the others.

"Spike, I think it's best if I see Joyce and the others alone first," Hank explained as they entered the hospital.

"I understand. We’ll be waiting over there," Spike said as he pointed with his free hand toward the chairs by the windows.

"I won't be longer than I have too, I promise," Hank reassured the young man, who looked so anxious.

Spike nodded as he led his son by the hand over to the group of chairs by the window. Candice followed quietly, having not been told too much since young ears had been constantly awake and within hearing distance.

"I really do appreciate you coming here, Candice. I trust you to take care of my son while I have some things to take care of," Spike told the younger woman.

"No problem, just let me know what you need me to do and when, and it's done," Candice reassured him. "I can see you love your son very much, and I know there are things going on that you can't talk about. I trust you’re doing what’s in his best interests and that's all I need to know for now."

Spike gave her a weak smile of gratitude as he commandeered a seat that gave him a perfect view for when Hank came to get him.

*******

Drusilla watched the clock anxiously. Her William should have been home by now or should have called to say he was going to be late. Something was not right, and she was beginning to figure out how wrong it was.

She walked to the phone and rang his office’s direct number but didn't get an answer. Then she dialed Candice's cell phone and got the young woman's voicemail.

"Candice, could you please ring me and tell my when you plan on bringing my darling boy home," she faked the concern in her voice, leaving the message on the irritating girl's voicemail.

She then dialed her William's cell phone number and was relieved when he answered, "Hello."

"My darling, I was wondering if you are coming home anytime soon," she cooed, wishing he were here right now so she could remind him how she was the one in control.

"Dru, I won't be home, something's come up," Spike said as he held the phone to his ear and rubbed his son's back with his free hand.

"What do you mean something has come up? Nothing is more important than me, don't forget our deal, Spike!" she hissed into the phone.

"Dru, Nigel is with me and I will be in contact soon," Spike calmly informed her, wishing he had more confidence she was not going to be able to come and take his son away from him.

"You’re there, with her!" she screamed. "He is my son, not hers! I will take him so far away, Spike, you will never see him again. He will hate you when I'm done beating it into him that you are a terrible father."

"Goodbye, Dru," Spike said as he disconnected the call.

Spike closed his eyes and prayed everything was going to work out. If he lost his son to that monster, he would die. If he lost Buffy now, he knew he'd be a shell, and would only live to serve his son.

"Is mummy mad?" Nigel whispered, his eyes wide with fear.

"Don't you worry about mummy, you have me to protect you now," Spike promised pulling him up on his lap and hugging him close.

Candice figured now was a good time to go to the bathroom. She figured they didn't need her hanging around at a time they needed to be alone. Not very often did they get father and son time alone because that bitch always hanging around to spoil it.

*******
Chapter 10 by Kimber
Joyce stood and walked into her ex-husband's open arms as soon as he entered the waiting room. It was not the hug of lovers, but that of parents in pain seeking solace from one another.

"How is she?" Hank asked his voice raspy with unshed tears.

"No change. The doctors are waiting for all the tests to come back," Joyce explained, avoiding the topic of Dr. Rayne's unofficial theory on it being stress induced.

"Joyce, I know this is bad timing, but Spike is here. But before you say anything please listen to me," Hank said as he held her tighter against him. "I found out why he felt he had to leave our girl. I'm doing everything in my power to help him work it out. When you hear what I've found out I think you might understand it yourself. Doesn't make it right but it will give you a different picture of him, one that’s not so dark."

"Then let me see him alone, first," Joyce said to where only Hank would hear.

"He has his son with him. There was no way he could leave him alone or anywhere near that crazy bitch of a mother," Hank explained as he gave her a knowing look, hoping she would begin to understand.

Joyce noticed the anger and disgust on his face and asked, "Has she hurt that boy?"

"More than I care to know. I'm not sure I want to tell Spike the extent she has abused that child," Hank informed her while trying not to let his emotions show.

"Where are they?" Joyce asked, seeing the horror in Hank's face that told her all she needed to know.

"Down in the emergency waiting room," Hank replied.

"Go and talk to Dawn, let me go and speak with Spike," Joyce told him, deciding she needed some alone time with her ex-son-in-law before the others attacked him.

"Be easy, he may not look it, but he is holding on by a thread and he doesn't know that Buffy's pregnant," Hank warned her. "He was a total mess when I found him."

"I can't say I feel sorry for him, because I don't," Joyce said as she turned to go and find Spike and judge for herself just how terribly affected he was.

Hank walked toward his youngest daughter and felt her wrath. He opened his arms and started to cry when she ran into his embrace calling out, 'Daddy'. After today he just might have to think about retiring. He never really loved the job as much, since he'd taken the desk job a few years back.

*******

Spike sat in the waiting room as he listened as two hospital personnel talked about an unconscious pregnant woman who had been brought in earlier. Saying how sad it was that she might not wake up and hold her babies if they survived. Then he remembered Dru's threat and all thought of the poor girl and her unborn babies was forgotten and replaced with his own fears of losing his son or his Goldilocks.

The first thing Joyce noticed was how tight Spike was hugging the young boy sitting on his lap. The next thing she noticed was how lost he appeared. She could see the anguish radiating from his face. He'd lost weight he didn't need to lose over the months as well.

She walked until she was standing in front of him. The words he was mumbling broke her heart reaffirming what Hank had told her. He was suffering and a part of her was glad.

"She's the most beautiful thing that ever happened to me. If she leaves this world I don't know what I will do," Spike mumbled with his eyes closed and his arms wrapped around the only thing that was keeping him sane.

"Then explain to me why you left her," Joyce demanded.

Spike looked up at her and she gasped. Where his eyes were normally bright, full of laughter, carefree and sparkled with life, they now appeared full of pain, sorrow, and devastation. "I didn't want to leave her. I felt I had no choice, for you see, I had to save my son."

"There's Social Services," Joyce snorted as she stood with her hands on her hips, refusing to look directly at the boy.

"Dru would've run before they could have done anything. She's good at hiding, starting a new life with a new identity and never being found again," Spike explained as he hugged his child closer. "I would never have found him again. He would have been at her mercy and I couldn't let that happen."

Joyce knew what he was saying was mostly likely true. The Children's Welfare system reputation for being poorly staffed and bogged down by legal red tape was widely known. It was also the reason several of the children never benefited from their protection.

"Please tell me she’s okay. Lie to me, if you have too," Spike said, his voice almost pleading as his eyes begged Joyce to make it okay for just a little while.

"Spike, she's in a coma, the doctors are still doing some tests," Joyce decided to tell him the truth, not sure if now would be the best time to tell him about the babies.

Spike's world started to spin as he zoned out, not wanting to hear anything further she had to say. There was no way he could lose her, not like this.

Candice walked out of the bathroom and noticed the distress her employer was showing. She quickly walked over to do her best to be there for him and Nigel.

Joyce glared as she noticed the young woman sit next to Spike and touch his arm. She could not help but think it looked too familiar and intimate for her liking.

"Mr. Bledsoe, would you like for me to take Nigel?" Candice softly asked, having placed her hand on his arm to offer her support and to get his attention gently.

"No Candice, I wish to keep him with me right now," Spike replied, still feeling insecure after his recent talk with Dru.

Nigel kept huddled close to his father, feeling the anger, and frustration coming from the strange woman towering over them. Her voice scared him, reminded him of how his mother would talk to him before locking him in the closet.

"Who are you?" Joyce asked, her voice cold and angry.

"Hi! I'm Candice Welch, I'm Nigel's nanny," she introduced herself, hoping to find out just who this rude woman was.

"I'm sorry, how rude of me," Spike mumbled having not heard Candice or felt her touch. "Joyce this is Candice, Nigel's nanny. Candice this is Joyce Giles, Buffy's mother."

Candice stood and hugged the older woman. "I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. I truly believe she will be okay, I just know it." Joyce on reflex returned the hug as the young girl continued to ramble on, "Mr. Bledsoe and Mr. Summers have been very worried about her."

"Daddy, are you crying?" a small voice asked, as he reached up to touch the tears running down Spike's cheeks.

"Daddy's sad, Poppet," Spike tried to explain as he took his own hand and started to wipe the tears away.

"I'm sorry, Daddy."

"Not your fault Daddy's sad, Nige."

"Mummy says I'm bad when I make her cry."

"No, you're Daddy's good boy and you didn't make me cry," Spike reassured him as he took his son's face between his hands and kissed his forehead and then his little turned up nose.

"I love you, Daddy," Nigel said as he reached and kissed his father's cheek.

"How much?" Spike asked, as he played the same game his mother had taught him as a child.

Nigel giggled as he opened his arms and said, "This much."

"Oh, my! that's a lot," Spike chuckled.

"How much Daddy?"

Spike spread out his arms wide and answered, "This much and so much more."

Nigel's laugh was infectious as his father wrapped his arms around the little body and started to tickle him and promise. "I will always love you Poppet."

"You won't lock me in the bad room?" Nigel asked.

"Who locks you in the bad room?" Spike felt the need to ask, even though he knew whom the culprit was.

"Mummy does," Nigel said as his eyes widened in fear. "Please don't tell her."

Spike heard Candice and Joyce both gasp as he hurried to comfort his son and promise. "No one will take you away from me, no one. Your Mummy will never ever hurt you again. I love you!"

Joyce quickly knelt down so she would not be talking down at the young boy and said, "Nigel, look at me sweetie."

Nigel shyly looked at her, and for the first time she noticed how much this boy looked like Spike. She slowly raised her hand and brushed his cheek softly as he wormed his way into her heart.

"Nigel, honey, no one is going to hurt you here. You're safe I promise you," Joyce said as she gave him a warm, welcoming, smile. "I wonder, are you hungry?"

Nigel nodded his head as his stomach growled causing him to giggle. "My tummy says so, too."

Joyce laughed as she ruffled his curly hair and said, "I think you like chicken nuggets, don't you?"

Nigel nodded as he replied, "With ketchup."

"Well of course. What are nuggets without ketchup," Joyce agreed, regretting she had let her emotions forget she should not have let her anger at Spike upset his son. "Maybe Candice can take you to get some."

"Yeah, brat, let's go. I could use some pizza myself," Candice stood giving Joyce an understanding smile. "We can get your dad something, too."

Spike gave Joyce a smile that didn't reach his eyes, but showed her he was grateful for her actions as he turned to tell Candice. "Don't want anything. Just come back right after he eats, okay?"

"Sure, where do I come back to?" Candice asked as she turned her attention back to Mrs. Giles.

"We’ll be up in the intensive care waiting area on the second floor," Joyce told her.

"Okay, we'll meet you there after we feed Mr. Tummy Growler here," Candice reached down for Nigel's hand.

"Please be careful," Spike said as he gave Candice a worried look, having regretted agreeing to his son leaving his sight.

"She isn't that quick," Candice reassured him.

"I know you're right, but still I don't overestimate her to not and try to pull something," Spike said, his voice sounded wary and strained.

"I promise to protect him with everything I have," Candice promised. "He has kind of grown on me, ya know?"

Spike and Joyce watched as the young girl took Nigel toward the cafeteria. Both stood silent, neither knew what they should do next.

"Joyce, I never wanted to hurt Buffy. Never in a million years. I thought for sure I would have proved Dru unfit before the divorce became final. I thought for sure I would have found out enough to get him away from her, but she's covered her tracks and I couldn't find anything to use against her," Spike whispered. "This is the first time he has spoken out against her. But then it's the first time I've really had alone time with him, without her being close by."

Joyce moved closer and put her hand on his shoulder offering her support. She was sure now that finding out about Buffy being pregnant would hurt him deeply. She wondered why he didn't tell his wife, her daughter, any of this.

"Before you ask, I couldn't say anything. Dru is shrewd and feeds on other's pain, and Buffy cannot lie to save her life, we both know that. Dru would have detected I was not hurting as I should have been. It kept getting worse. I could feel myself being pulled back to my Goldilocks wanting to come home. But I would look into his eyes and know he needed me to survive," Spike's voice became more hoarse as he fought the tears.

"It won't be easy," Joyce said, "They hate you, you know."

"Yeah, I know. I don't blame them, not really," Spike told her.

"She loves you and that’s what will make it all work out in the end," Joyce reassured him, knowing once Buffy heard any of this, all bets of her staying away from Spike and his son were off.

Joyce decided not to forewarn Spike about his pending fatherhood, not wanting to be the one to add to his plight. She figured at least he would have hers and Hank's support and once the others realized the sacrifice Spike had made for his son, they might be there for him as well.

"Joyce, can you tell me what happened?" Spike asked.

"I think it's best if we have the rest of this discussion upstairs," Joyce said, again wanting Hank to be there when Spike found out about the twins.

*******
Chapter 11 by Kimber
Author's Notes:
cliffhanger warning, ducking now and running. Well he has to suffer just a bit, now don't he, LOL
CHAPTER ELEVEN


Buffy rolled her eyes when she found herself in an awkward time and place as she watched the horny intoxicated couple going at it.

"God! Pet, you’re gorgeous," Spike panted as he undressed her.

Buffy felt like her body was on fire wherever he touched her. They had gone with Lorne to a frat party and ended up playing some stupid game that had them doing shots whenever they lost. They had been hanging out together for a month, and tonight had started out like all the other times. They were not together on a date, just out together as friends.

Harmony had been there and had tried to make a move on Spike, causing Buffy to go all cavewoman and threaten the ever-ready pink bimbo bunny within an inch of her life if she didn't stay away from her boyfriend.

This had caused Spike to kiss her like a man drowning and it had escalated from there. It finally led them to being at Spike's place making out like rabid teenagers.

"Perfect little breasts you have, Kitten," Spike muttered as he kneaded them softly with his hands.

"Shut up and kiss me," Buffy groaned as she raked her fingernails lightly down his back toward his hips.

"Oh I'm gonna do more then kiss ya, my little sexy meal on legs," Spike moaned as she squeezed his fine, tight, ass.

"I want you inside me now," Buffy demanded as she reached to position his cock at her wet entrance. "Please, make the ache go away."

"Oh, baby, I’ll fuck you so good, you’ll ache for me for the rest of your life," Spike whispered in her ear as he let her hand guide him, "God, woman, I need you so much. I love you, Buffy." He groaned, as he pushed himself deep inside of her, making them both moan at the sinful pleasure.

"Spike, oh, baby, you feel so good," Buffy panted, as she moved her hips in time with his. "God, never felt this good, never, baby."

"So tight, fit like a glove, like you were made for me," Spike whispered as he continued to thrust in and out of her warm body. "Come with me Buffy, let's see the stars, Luv."

"God, yes!" she screamed as she came, followed by Spike, "Love you." Right before she felt the warmth of his release inside of her.

They both continued to move softly against one another as they came down from their sexual high. She could feel his breath against her lips, since his forehead was pressed gently against hers.

She smiled, bringing her hands up and threading her fingers through his hair as she whispered, "I believe I've fallen in love with you, you sneaky little devil you."

"I'll be your personal demon, baby," Spike snickered. "I take it we're dating now."

Buffy giggled as she said, "I think I was in denial all this time. I proclaim we've been dating all along."

"I second that, Goldilocks," Spike said as he gently pulled out of her sweet body.

"Hmmm, miss you already," she mumbled sleepily.

"Miss you, too," he replied as he then cuddled her to his side.

"Hmmm, nice," she whispered as she fell asleep.

"No, baby, perfection," Spike said as he shifted himself so he could watch her sleep. "I'm going to marry you one day, have a bunch of little Buffy's running around driving me insanely happy."

Buffy stood and watched as he continued to worship her with his eyes as she slept. She wanted to know why he left her, why he fell out of love with her. Something told her that was what this journey was all about and she'd finally get the answer.

Then like a blink of an eye it was the morning after and there he was, again awake before her watching her as she slept. It was as if she was watching a romantic movie and they were the stars of the show.

She watched, as he in his naked glory got out of bed and slipped on his jeans. He then walked over to the side of the bed where she was sleeping and leaned down to kiss her forehead.

"I'll be right back, Luv. Going to get you a couple aspirins and a tall glass of water for when you wake up," he said as he then turned to leave the room.

She watched as her past self started to wake. She knew from having already been there that she was going to wake up and be hurt that he wasn’t there beside her.

Buffy opened her eyes and felt the mild headache and dry mouth telling her she had too much to drink the night before. It took some time for her to realize that she wasn’t in her room and that her night of passion with Spike had not been a dream. The only problem was, she was here and he wasn’t.

"God, he hates me now," she mumbled under her breath as the tears started to form.

She was startled when the door opened and the object of her tears came through the door carrying a bottle of aspirins and two glasses of water.

"Morning, baby. I tried to get back before you woke up," Spike explained as he gave her a loving smile. "I wanted things ready for when my girl woke up with a hangover."

Buffy burst into tears at hearing him call her 'his girl'. Then it hit her they hadn’t used any protection last night. Since her break up with Angel and her vow of not getting involved with anyone, she had stopped taking the pill.

"Oh God! Spike! We didn't use any protection, I could be pregnant!" she cried, knowing he'd hate her now.

Spike hurried and put the water and bottle of pills on the bedside table, before climbing back into the bed, taking her into his arms. "Oh, Kitten, if you're pregnant, we're pregnant. I won't leave you to face that alone."

"What was I thinking?" she mumbled.

"Oh, the same as me I would imagine," Spike chuckled. "Wanted my sexy body as much as I wanted yours, and all logic then flew out the window."

"Spike, this isn't funny." She playfully slapped his chest as she snuggled closer.

"Buffy, no matter what happens between us, any child we have I will never abandon. I won't ever let a child of mine be without their father. Mine left me with no forwarding address and even though my Mum was great, it left a hole in my life. I would never do that to a child of mine. Their happiness would always come first."

It suddenly hit Buffy as she continued to watch as they sat and talked she was sure she knew where her next stop would be. She looked forward to it, since this time she had the advantage of being a spectator and not the actual participant.

*******

"So you brought that cheating no good bastard here with you," Xander snarled at Hank as his wife kept him back from charging the older man.

"Xander, there are things we didn't know about. Things that explain why he left," Hank said. "Just hear him out, and if you still feel the same way, then so be it."

"Hank, tell me what was more important than Buffy," Xander demanded, and then added in a hateful tone, "Oh, how silly of me to ask the man who deserted his wife and kids."

"Xander, you are about to cross a line you don't know anything about," Hank warned the younger man. "No one but Joyce and myself, know the real reason behind why I had to leave."

"No, Hank, you can add me to that list," Giles informed him as he turned to Xander. "Tread softly my boy, I think we will wait for Joyce to come and tell us about her little talk with Spike and then go from there."

"What? Are you saying that after all this time he might be able to waltz right in and start playing the happy expectant father here?" Xander questioned heatedly.

"Sorry to disrupt this little tea party, but can a man get an update on his favorite girl?" Lorne asked for the doorway, looking tired and ready to drop.

"Lorne, Oh am I so happy to see you!" Dawn squealed throwing herself into his arms.

"Hello, sweet bit," Lorne chuckled as he pulled the ever-growing teenager into a bear hug. "Guess I really can't call you bit anymore now, can I?"

"Plus it was a nickname he gave me," Dawn said, reminding him that Spike first started calling her bit a few years back.

"So, can anyone tell me just what the hell happened to my Buffy melon?" Lorne asked, having called Buffy a melon ever since she had started showing.

"We’re waiting for the doctors to tell us. Seems they’re still going over the tests they performed and those tests are telling them they need to do more tests," Willow explained to the latest arrival who now lived in San Francisco, but came to visit Buffy often.

"Where's Joyce?" Lorne asked as he carried the teenager who had her arms wrapped around his neck.

"I hope she's kicking Spike's butt," Dawn told him as she dropped to the floor and looked up at him with a hateful look on her pretty little face.

"Willie's here and facing the wrath of Mama Bear is he?" Lorne chuckled wishing he'd had bought ringside tickets to that event. "My money's on Joyce."

"Mine too," Xander snorted. "Glad someone here agrees with me."

"Oh, cupcake, my reason is different than yours," Lorne was quick to say. "I hope she beats some sense into the meathead and he wakes up and crawls back on his hands and knees and him and Princess Buffy live happily ever after."

"Oh, why did I even think we'd ever be in agreement anyway?" Xander asked no one in particular.

Hank was about to say something when he noticed two strange men walk in. One man was dressed in a designer suit and the other in a shirt with a loose tie and dress pants. He was sure they were the doctor's coming to tell them some news about his daughter.

"Hello, everyone, is Mrs. Giles close by?" The one more casually dressed asked in his Irish lilt.

"She’s downstairs. I'm Buffy's father, Hank Summers," Hank introduced himself.

"I'm Dr O'Bannon, and this here is Dr. Rayne," Doyle replied.

"Willow, would you be so kind to go to the Emergency Room waiting room and get Joyce and Spike please?" Hank said, wanting to have the doctors catch him up to speed on what they had done so far.

"Sure, Mr. Summers," Willow said as she moved to go and do just that.

"We have Dr. Burkle joining us. She is a neonatologist who is looking after the babies during Buffy's illness," Doyle told them.

"Hi, sorry, got tied up on the phone with another case," the petite brunette said as she entered the waiting room and addressed the other doctor's as she turned to introduce herself, "I'm Dr. Fred Burkle, just call me Fred and I'm here to answer any of your questions."

"Are the babies in any danger while Buffy is in this coma?" Hank asked her.

"As long as Buffy's condition is stable they are in no grave danger. But, we are going to have to take a few steps to make sure they stay that way. Such as- we will need to start to feed Buffy by IV to supplement her not being able to eat," Fred explained, having not noticed she didn’t have their undivided attention anymore as she added, "Don't worry, Doyle, I think we can maintain the babies safely inside their Mommy until it's safe for them to be delivered if we have to."

Spike heard babies, danger, and Buffy in the same sentence and stopped in his tracks. He wasn't sure if he was hearing correctly. Then he noticed the three strangers standing with the others. He was unaware he had gasped aloud when he had heard the woman's answer.

Spike had heard that last statement delivered to the man who he assumed was the father of Buffy's babies. He felt like someone took a hot poker and stabbed him in the chest with it. He had lost her, no matter what, he had lost her.

Spike barely made it over to one of the chairs before he collapsed into one and sobbed uncontrollably into his hands. He didn't know who had come to sit next to him rubbing his back. He was oblivious to how everyone stood speechless not knowing what to do or say. He became lost in his own little nightmare that reminded him that this was all his fault he had lost her.

"Buffy I have something I need to tell you and I just haven't a bloody clue how to tell you with out hurting you," Spike knelt before her with her hands held firmly in his.

"Just say it," Buffy whimpered. "Just say it so we can move on and make it better."

"There's no way to make it better," Spike said as he started to cry.

"So what are you saying?" she whispered.

"I'm leaving you for Dru and Nigel," he finally came out and said it…and it felt like he was dying. Not telling her the whole truth, just like Dru had instructed him.

"You’re leaving me…as in divorcing and never seeing me again? You don't love me anymore kind of leaving?" she asked as she gave him a look of disbelief.

"Yes, but not the loving you. I will never stop loving you," Spike vowed. "But sometimes what your heart desires is not possible at the cost of something more important than your own happiness."

"What the hell are you saying, something more than your own happiness?!" she screamed as she pulled her hands out of his.

"Buffy, you have your family, he only has me,” Spike explained, wishing he could tell her everything.

He watched her pull herself together and say, "I understand, now please go."

"God, Buffy, believe me, please. I would not be leaving if I had any other option," Spike pleaded for her to understand. Not caring if he told her more than he should, wishing he'd never met Dru.

"Please, just go, and forget about me," she said as she looked off to the side, missing the look of pure anguish come over his face.

"I will never forget about you, Goldilocks, for without you I will never be complete," he whispered before he turned and left their home.
Chapter 12 by Kimber
Buffy stood with tears in her eyes, as she was able to see what the pain had blinded her from seeing that night. He was not leaving her because she wasn't good enough, but because he would not become his father. He had been true to his word. His love for his son was strong enough that he'd sacrifice his own happiness to make sure his son was kept safe.

She found herself following him out the door and witnessed his breakdown as he fell to his knees crying his heart out for her. Promising that she would always have a hold of his heart and be the owner of his soul.

"Hello," he said as she watched him answer his phone and noticed the hateful expression appear on his face. "Yes, it's done, just like you ordered…no, Dru, I will do as you say…you hold all the cards, remember?"

She could see how he tried to keep his tears in check. She could see how much he was hurting. "He’s my son and I will do everything you say so you don't run away with him. I would never be able to live with myself if anything happened to him because I wasn't there to protect him during one of your bloody stupid stunts. Yes, I’ll try to be nicer to you in the future, just give me some time. I just ripped out my heart and you want me to act like it never happened, don't do that if you want for us to work at being something more."

She watched as he hung up the phone and turned back to gaze longingly at the door that separated him from her. "I promise I will do everything I can, to prove her unfit and get back to you as soon as I can. I'm sorry I can't clue you in on the plan, baby, but she'd see right through it…right through you."

Buffy realized now her pain had blinded her to his. She had missed the signs that should have told her something was not right about his leaving her like he had. His plan, it seemed, did not include him staying away from her forever, but just long enough to get his son and be able to leave with him in tow. She knew now what she had to do.

*******

The tech left having finished doing the EEG, and was on his way to page Dr. Rayne to tell him the results. He had good news to report, the patient had great brain activity, and by the looks of the tracing was a very active one at that. He would say she was doing some heavy dreaming.

The nurse, Amanda, was doing the best she could to remove the paste out of her patient's hair. She was just biding her time waiting for the IV team to come and put the central line IV in so they could start feeding her patient with the special IV nutrition needed to sustain her and the babies.

"Hey Amanda!" Andrew said as he pushed his little cart through the door.

"Hi yourself, are you here to put in the PICC line so was can feed the little family here?" Amanda asked.

"Yep, that's me, IV starter of the magic kind," Andrew sighed as he started getting his things ready.

"I just wish she'd wake up. Those babies need real food, not that hospital bagged same ole, same ole,” Amanda sighed.

"I know what you mean," Andrew replied. "Give me a veggie burger at The Doublemeat Palace any day instead of that," he said as he pointed at the two bags of fluid, one a clear yellow and other one chalky white.

Andrew cleaned her skin at the bend of her elbow with the antiseptic. Waiting until the area was dry as he positioned the long catheter covered needle where he could see her vein. Just as the tip of the needle penetrated the skin she screamed, "Hey! That hurts!"

Both Andrew and Amanda jumped back from the now very wide-awake patient who was holding on to the bend of her arm glaring at them. Andrew's arms flayed about knocking over his work stand as he tripped and fell on his ass.

Amanda quickly overcame her shock as she approached her patient and tried to reassure her. "Miss Summers, you are a patient here at Sunnydale University Hospital. My name is Amanda. I'm your nurse."

"What happened to me? Where’s my mother?" Buffy asked as she took in her surroundings and felt sorry for the young man who was sitting on the floor looking afraid.

"She's out in the waiting room. I’ll go and get her in a few minutes. I just need to check a few things out here," Amanda answered as she looked over at Andrew to make sure he was okay. "Andrew, can you go out and have them page Dr. Rayne for me, please."

"Sure, I can do that as soon as I can find that part of my brain that operates my legs again,” Andrew said as he was getting up off the floor.

"Now would be a good time," Amanda said more firmly this time.

"Going, God! It's not like I'm not moving as fast as I can," Andrew huffed as he glared at the nurse before looking back at Buffy. "I'm glad you woke up, but could you have done it before I arrived?"

Buffy watched as Andrew practically ran out of the room before turning her attention to the nurse. "Can you make sure you call William Bledsoe, too? I really need to see him."

"You can use the phone right next to your bed if you'd like," Amanda suggested as she moved to check out her patient.

"So, was I like in a coma or something?" Buffy asked, since the last thing she remembered was the confrontation with Faith at Willow's car.

"I'm thinking the ‘or something’, but the doctors can tell you more," Amanda told her as she put a band-aid on the area Andrew had tried to put in the special IV.

"The babies? Are the babies okay?" Buffy asked, feeling both of them move around inside of her.

"They're fine," Amanda said with a smile as she patted the young woman on the arm. "Here's the phone, dial 9 first. If it's long distance then call the operator first."

"Okay, thanks." Buffy said as she dialed the operator and had her place the call for her.

*******

"Spike, look at me," Hank said as he gently shook the young man. "Spike, please talk to me."

"Babies, she carrying his babies," Spike mumbled as he looked up at the older man. "Does she love him?"

"Love who?" Joyce asked, wondering what Spike was rambling about.

"Buffy, love him, the father of her babies," Spike answered as he looked over toward Doyle who was staring back at him with a blank look on his face.

Hank followed Spike's gaze and realized Spike thought the young doctor was the father of Buffy's babies. He then looked at Joyce and said, "He thinks Dr. O'Bannon is the father."

Joyce didn’t know what hit her to make her react so, but she pulled back her arm and slapped Spike’s face and said, "How dare you think she'd have another man's children?"

Spike felt the pain and looked at Joyce with a hurt expression. "But she would have told me if they were mine, she would have. I don't blame her for moving on. I'm not worth the ground she walks on."

Joyce quickly hugged the blonde man as she reassured him, "They are yours, Spike. She will have to explain why when she wakes up. But they are yours."

The sounds of pagers and a cell phone went off at the same time. Dr. Rayne, Dr. O'Bannon, and Dr. Burkle excused themselves when they noticed they were paged to the same number.

Spike pulled away at the sound of his phone, taking it out of his jacket pocket and was about to turn if off but stopped when he noticed the Sunnydale area code. He opened the phone and dreaded answering the phone knowing for sure it was bad news.

"Hello."

"Spike?"

"Buffy?"

"Yeah, it's me."

"Baby, are you really there?" Spike cried into the phone, "God, baby, I need you."

"I need you, too. Where are you?" Buffy asked as she started to cry.

"I'm just outside your room."

"Why aren't you in here with me?" she asked.

"Cause I don’t think I'm allowed," he whispered.

"Come in here now, I need to see you, talk to you. I need you to hold me, I'm so scared." Buffy sniffled as she begged him to come to her.

"I'll be right there, Goldilocks," he said as he stood and ignored the others as he made his way to the doors leading to the intensive care area. "I love you, baby."

"I know, and I love you, too. Now get your skinny ass in here, right now!" she practically yelled in the phone.

"Be right there, you bossy bint," Spike chuckled through the phone.

Before Spike could open the door he felt someone grab his shoulder. He turned around and was about to hit whoever was keeping him from his lady when he noticed it was Hank.

"Sorry, mate got caught up. She's awake and wants to see me," Spike said giving Buffy's father a huge grin.

"Tell her we want to see her too," Hank told him as he pulled the younger man into a bear hug. "I've got your back, now go and get your wife back."

"Thank you, Dad. If not for you, I wouldn't be getting this second chance," Spike returned the hug and whispered in the man's ear.

Hank felt tears come to his eyes as he heard the endearment. He was just sorry it took something like this to realize how much he did want a family. That with Spike's help he just might be something more to Buffy and his grandchildren other than a name.

"Why is he going in there and not Joyce?" Xander asked.

"Is Joyce Giles here?" a young female called from the door Spike had just entered.

"Yes, that's me," Joyce said.

"Could you come with me please?" Amanda asked. "It seems someone is very anxious to see all of you, but right now she can only have two visitors."

"I’ll come out as soon as I know something," Joyce reassured the others as she moved quickly to follow the young nurse.

*******

Spike noticed his girl sitting on the side of the bed, telling the doctors she was feeling fine and wanted to go home. He walked over and gave them an understanding smile as he turned his attention to his very pregnant Goldilocks.

"Baby, let's have the docs take a good look at you, okay?" Spike said as he took her hands in his and knelt before her. "I don't want to take any chances on losing you, baby, not now, not ever again." Neither noticed the doctors leave the room, to give them privacy.

"I understand now, I really do," Buffy started to cry. "You didn't want to be like your father and felt Nigel needed you more than me. That I was your heart's desire and how hard it was for you to choose between us."

"He does, but I have him now, and no one is going to take him from us," Spike said. "You are my heart's desire."

"You got that right, no one will take him away from us," Buffy promised, loving the little boy even before meeting him. "We will raise him as a part of our family, he is family. Spike, I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the babies," she said as she stroked the side of his face softly. "I was selfish not to tell you about them."

"No baby, I understand, I really do. I just regret not watching them grow inside you, not being there to tell you how beautiful you are," Spike reassured her as he leaned his forehead against her stomach. "Hello there, little ones. I'm sorry it took so long to have this talk. But I'm your dad and I can't wait to meet you."

Buffy laughed when one or both decided to move in response. "I think they are saying ditto."

Spike never felt happier as he placed a kiss on her expanded belly. "You have a brother waiting to meet you, too."

"I want to meet him so bad," Buffy said as she ran her fingers through her man's hair, realizing this was what she had been missing all these months. Being able to touch him so intimately and just be with him. "Missed you so much."

"I know baby, and know I missed you too," Spike sighed standing up to finally kiss her right and proper.

*******

Dr Rayne nodded for Dr. O'Bannon, and Dr. Burkle to follow him out the door once the babies’ father knelt before Miss Summers. Once outside they found themselves confronted by Joyce Giles.

"How is she, and what happened?" Joyce asked giving Dr. Rayne a questioning look.

"I’ll need to examine her when she allows it of course," Ethan chuckled. "I do think it can wait until she finishes dealing with some much repressed stress. From what I'm told, the one to suffer the most was the poor IV therapist."

"I’ll go and get Spike out of the room so you can examine her," Joyce offered as she turned to retrieve him.

"No, let them have a few more minutes alone," Ethan said as he gently put his hand on her arm to prevent her from leaving. "I think he is the best medicine for her at the moment."

Joyce looked at the man and realized he probably was right as she asked, "Are you sure she is out of the woods?"

"Her pressure is the best it has ever been. She has no ill effects that I could see. If I had to give you an answer right now I would have to say that the body knows when it needs to heal or needs a rest," Ethan offered. "My best guess it she will be able to go home tomorrow and I think he is the best weapon to get her to stay."

Doyle laughed, "I think you might be right."

"Oh, he is right on that account, if anyone could talk her into staying it would be Spike," Joyce agreed.

"I think we can arrange for her to have a room better suiting her medical status," Ethan chuckled as he excused himself so he could arrange to have Buffy transferred out of the intensive care area.

"He is very arrogant," Joyce sighed.

"Yes, but he is very good at what he does," Doyle said, feeling happy his favorite patient was doing so much better.

"So what about the poor IV therapist?" Joyce asked.

"It would seem Buffy woke up at the same time he was poking her with a needle. She screamed, he fell on his arse," Doyle chuckled. "I wish I could have seen the look on the poor lad's face."

"I hope he is okay?" Joyce asked, worried the young man might have hurt himself.

"Oh, the only thing dinged was his pride. Amanda says he screamed like a girl," Doyle whispered, thinking they both needed a laugh.

"I think I will go and see my daughter now," Joyce said, as she tried not laugh.

"Take care. And I will be into check on her again," Doyle promised as he watched the older woman walk away as he whispered, "I'm also happy he came back into her life." Before he turned and left to call his wife and tell her how much his day just improved.

Joyce stopped at the door as she stood witness to Spike kneeling in front of Buffy. His hands on her pregnant belly rubbing as he talked to it. It had been so long since she had seen the content look on her daughter's face as she laughed at what he was saying. Joyce backed away and decided she would give them time alone for now.

*******
Chapter 13 by Kimber
Nigel looked at all the strange faces before he recognized Hank and ran to him. He tugged on the man's pants leg and asked, "Where's my Daddy?"

Hank knelt down to the boy's level the best he could. "He is visiting a sick friend right now and asked me to help Candice look after you for a little while."

Nigel pouted, "I want my Daddy."

Hank knew the boy was tired and scared. "I know, Nigel. He’ll come out soon and see you. I promise."

The tears started to form as Nigel worried his mother would come for him first. "I want my daddy." His voice was louder this time as he began to panic.

"Hey, kid this is a hospital with sick people and you need to be quiet," Xander said, unaware of the dirty looks he received from the others.

Nigel began to cry, "She's going to come."

Hank picked him up and hugged him. "Well, she can come, but she will not get you. I'm much bigger than she is."

"Take me," Nigel said between his tears.

"Nope, she won't," Hank again promised as he found the others giving him concerned looks.

"Who is ‘she’?" Giles asked.

"His mother," Hank replied.

"Well, if she is his mother, doesn't she have the right to come and get him?" Xander asked, wondering what all the hoopla was about Spike's brat.

"Xander, please do not speak," Giles told the young man, whom he wanted to perform bodily harm on. "This child is innocent and does not deserve such deplorable treatment from you or anyone."

"Honey, Giles is right," Willow said as she put her finger against his mouth before he uttered another word. "We can talk about it later in private."

"Hank, take him into Spike," Joyce said from behind them, giving Xander a warning glance. "Tell them he is their son."

"Great idea, Joyce," Hank said as he carried the crying child to give to his father to comfort.

"What happened?" Joyce asked as she looked toward Candice for an answer.

"He's tired and scared that Dru, the witch, is coming to get him," Candice answered.

"She will never touch another hair on his head if I can help it," Joyce fumed. "If she even tries anything I personally will hurt her in places she never knew existed."

Lorne listened to the conversation and felt his heart break. He now knew the reason Spike had left Buffy had to be because of his son. From what he gathered here, the boy's mother was not a candidate for the Mother of the Year award.

"Lorne, do you think his mother beats him?" Dawn whispered.

"I'm thinking it could be why Spike left our Buffy," Lorne explained. "I know it's hard to prove if you aren't there to see it."

"You don't think he loves the kid's mother more than Buffy, do you?" she asked, again only so he would hear.

"I would have to say, no, pumpkin. I think there is much more to this story and we will need to be patient and it all will come out," Lorne said as he gave her an understanding look. "I'm thinking Spike put his son before everyone, including himself."

"I'm thinking the same thing," Dawn agreed. "He is a cutie."

"If he's anything to judge from, those twins are going to be, too," Lorne agreed. "Hmm, I like the sound of uncle Lorne, don't you?"

Dawn giggled. "Yep, has a great ring to it. Almost as good as Aunt Dawn."

Xander was feeling awful about the implications of Joyce and Candice's comments. It would mean the mother abused her son and that hit too close to home for him.

*******

Buffy noticed her father standing in door holding a young boy who she could only assume was Spike's son.

"Honey, I think we have a special guest," Buffy nudged Spike who was lying next to her, paying attention to her moving tummy. The babies were moving about and their father was enthralled.

Spike looked up and noticed her attention was not on them anymore. He turned and noticed Hank standing there with Nigel in his arms and that his son was crying.

"Here, here poppet, what's the matter?" Spike asked as he moved off the bed to retrieve his child.

"Daddy!" Nigel cried as he wiggled to get out of Hank's arms.

Hank set the boy on his feet and watched him run into his father's arms. He then in turn glanced over at his own child and smiled, "Hello, Princess, good to see you awake."

"Hi, Daddy," Buffy said with tears in her eyes, watching the father and son reunion and seeing her father's love directed at her.

Hank hurried to her bedside, giving her a hug and kiss telling her, "I love you, honey. I was so scared I wouldn’t get a chance to tell you that."

"I love you too, Daddy!" she said as she hugged him close. "Where's Mom?"

"Oh, I think she’s about to have a heart to heart with Xander," Hank chuckled.

"I hope she doesn’t heart to heart him too bad. It's just that he cares about me," Buffy said, hoping everyone would be able to work things out in the end.

"I know that, and so does your mom. I just think sometimes Xander just needs to be reminded he shouldn't let his temper rule his tongue," Hank reassured her.

"Now it would seem I have someone to meet," Buffy changed the subject as she directed her attention back toward Spike and his son.

"Care to introduce us, honey?" Buffy asked, as Hank took that as his clue to give them some privacy and quietly left the room.

Spike carried Nigel over toward where Buffy was waiting. He sat down on the edge of the bed and whispered soothing promises as he waited for Nigel to stop crying.

Buffy maneuvered herself so she could sit beside them, adding her voice and soft touches to try and soothe the child's fear.

"Hi, Nigel, I'm Buffy and I'm so happy to finally meet you," Buffy cooed as she leaned to nuzzle his hair with her nose. He smelled like Spike, without the cigarettes. "Your Daddy is right here, baby, and he won't let anything happen to you, and neither will I."

Nigel turned to look at her, his eyes red from crying. He continued to stare at her as she smiled at him, wiping his tears away, placing kisses on his face. She was so much nicer than his mother, he thought.

"I bet he's sleepy," Buffy said as she motioned to Spike with her eyes to lie him down on the bed. "I know I'm sleepy, too. Want to take a nap with me?"

Nigel tilted his head just like his father and continued to watch her. The action brought him deeper into her heart and she knew she'd love him as her own without any reservations. She scooted back onto the bed and positioned herself to make room for him to lie down next to her.

"You and Daddy can stay here with me," Buffy said as she patted the space beside her.

Nigel slid off his father's lap, crawling up to lay beside her. He curled up next to her and proceeded to drift off to sleep snuggled next to her.

Spike sat with a satisfied smirk on his face as he watched Buffy close her eyes and drift off to sleep beside his son. His dream was coming true, faster than he thought possible. His Goldilocks was carrying their future inside of her as his firstborn cuddled next to her as if he actually belonged there.

"They look good together, don't they?" Joyce asked, as she stood next to Spike who was still admiring his family.

"Effulgent," he whispered the first poetic word that came to mind.

"When is the last time you ate anything?" Joyce asked him, thinking that now would be a good time for them to talk.

"Dinner last night, just had coffee for breakfast," he answered, looking sheepishly at his feet.

"Then let's go and get something inside you before you faint and need the bed next to her," Joyce teased him, noticing how much weight he'd lost over the last couple of months.

"Joyce, I don't want to leave them alone," his voice sounding scared as he watched them sleep.

"They won't be alone. They’re getting a room cleaned for her to spend the night. Lorne and Xander will be here and believe me they will not let anything or anyone get past them. I also suspect Hank has a few agents hanging about as well." Joyce leaned to whisper in his ear, "Now, come and let's take care of each other, shall we?"

Spike stood and took her into his arms. "I missed you, Joyce."

"I missed you, too. Now, let's go, I suddenly find myself starving," Joyce replied as she noticed both her daughter and Nigel sleeping soundly. "She will be good for him."

"She’ll be the mother he should’ve had from the time he was born," he agreed as he let her lead him out of the room.

*******

"I want him arrested," Dru told the police officer. "I want my son back and that little whore arrested for conspiring with him to take my son."

"Miss Downing, don't worry. We'll have your son to you before the night's out," Officer Montgomery, of the Sunnydale Police Department promised the poor distraught mother. "We will have William Bledsoe and his lover, Candice Welch, in police custody in no time."

"Thank you. I'm just so worried. My baby has not spent a night away from me since he was born," Dru said as she dabbed at her forced tears.

"We’ll send a car out to the Giles residence right away," he told her thinking how special he was going to treat the kidnapper, William Bledsoe.

Dru hid her smile behind the hanky as she silently celebrated making William pay for double-crossing her. She had come to realize he had been planning on this from the beginning. The police would return her son to her, and then she'd be gone before anyone could stop her. She believed, without a doubt, Spike knew nothing about her past.

*******

Spike sat watching his little family eating. He smiled as Buffy offered Nigel a bite of her mashed potatoes in exchange for a bite of his macaroni and cheese. The doctors had returned and examined her and the babies thoroughly, giving them a clean bill of health. Still, they wanted her to spend the night and be observed to make sure it didn't happen again.

"Hmmm, I like your mac and cheese," Buffy said as she mixed her peas in her potatoes and offered him a bite. "Here, I bet you can eat your peas like this. It's how I eat mine."

Nigel gave her a suspicious look and said. "I don't like peas."

"I don't like them much by themselves either, but I do like this," Buffy said as she put the spoon in front of his mouth. "I double dare you, no, I triple dare you to try it."

"Can I spit it out if I don't like it?" he asked.

"Nope, have to swallow, but I won't make you eat it again," Buffy negotiated.

Nigel opened his mouth and let her feed him. He took a moment before he chewed his food.

"So?" she asked him.

Nigel smiled at her and said, "I like it, too."

"I knew we had something else we both liked." Buffy laughed as she leaned down and kissed his nose. "I’m going to keep you and your father forever."

"Really!"

"Yep, really. And you know what else?" Buffy asked as she bonded with this wonderful child more. "I think I like you so much, I want to have more just like you."

"More of me?"

"How would you like a brother or a sister?" she asked him.

Spike snorted, "Or one of each." Making Buffy giggle.

They had decided, for tonight, Spike and Nigel would spend the night with Buffy, since it was the only way she was going to stay overnight at the hospital. Ever since she had a bad experience when she was younger, she hated hospitals.

Nigel thought for a moment, making Buffy want to reach over and kiss his cute little face. He looked so darling as he was seriously thinking about wanting siblings.

"Just think, you’ll be their older brother and can teach them everything you know," Spike said, encouraging his son.

Buffy mumbled, "Until they start to get on your nerves and steal your things, like clothes and stuff."

Spike chuckled as he heard what she said. He was shocked at first when Nigel asked Buffy, "Will you love them more than me?"

"Never, ever, ever. How could I love them more than you? You like your mashed potatoes with peas just like me. Nope, we’re bonded really special, you and me," Buffy reassured him and then asked Spike, "Will you love them more than Nigel or Nigel more than them?"

"Nope, I will love them all this much and more,” Spike said as he spread his arms open as wide as they would go. “I have enough love for all of them."

"Oh, I like that," Buffy giggled as she offered the last bit of peas and potatoes to Nigel and he ate it.

*******
Chapter 14 by Kimber
Joyce was just finishing the dinner dishes when the doorbell rang. She wiped her hands on the dishtowel and made her way to the front door when she heard someone ask her husband if a William Bledsoe was here.

"No, officer he is not here. May I ask why it is you are looking for him?" Giles asked, knowing why it was they were looking for Spike, but needing to play dumb.

"He kidnapped a woman's son," Officer Montgomery answered.

"My, is he related to the boy at all?" Giles again acted as if he was shocked at the news.

"No, it would seem he did it to get back at the child's mother. She found out about his affair with the boy's nanny and she fired the girl and kicked him out," he explained.

"How odd, don't you think?" Giles asked, wondering who was doing the hiring at the police department.

"Why would that be odd?" the officer asked.

Joyce took the time Giles was buying her to call Hank. He would know what to do and how best to handle Spike and Nigel right now.

"Why would he take her child? Did he ask for a ransom? Are you sure he is not the boy's father? I just find it odd he would just take the child without asking for something in return," Giles said.

"I don't know, I guess I’ll ask him those questions when I find him, and I will find him," Officer Montgomery promised. "Do you know a Candace Welch?"

"No, I do not," Giles lied, without any guilt.

"Is Miss Summers in?"

"No, officer she’s not," Giles answered.

"Do you know when to expect her back?"

"Tomorrow, or the next day, at the latest," Giles replied, hoping the officer would leave without asking for Buffy's whereabouts.

"Could you have her call us when she gets back?"

"Yes, I will pass it on that you wish to speak with her," Giles said, shutting the door as the officer walked away.

"That bitch."

Giles had never heard Joyce sound so angry and curse like this in one day.

"Did you call Hank?" he asked as he moved to take her in his arms.

"Yes, he is personally calling the Mayor and taking care of matters," she told him as she snuggled deeper into her husband's arms. "I wish I could have a few minutes alone with her, just a few minutes."

Giles chuckled as he said, "If I had the power to make it happen, believe me I would."

"I don't think I can sleep much tonight," Joyce sighed.

"Don't worry. They’re safe and sound where they are. Hank was smart having admitted Buffy under an alias, so they couldn't be found," Giles reminded her.

"Thank you for reminding me about that," Joyce said, suddenly feeling better.

"Everything will work out, I'm sure of it," Giles reassured his wife. "Now, let's finish cleaning up the kitchen and then try and get some rest. Tomorrow will be a very busy day with Buffy coming home."

"You're right, dear," Joyce agreed as she leaned up to kiss his cheek.

*******

Spike tossed around on the cot the hospital had provided for him, finding it hard to get comfortable enough to fall asleep. He knew more than half the problem was that he wanted to be lying next to Buffy, not down here.

He sat up and smiled at the sight before him. There again was Buffy and Nigel cuddled together sound asleep with smiles on their faces. He assessed the space behind Buffy and judged there to be enough for him to squeeze in.

He moved himself to where his chest was against her back and his arm fit perfect around her beautiful belly. He gently stroked his son's hair before placing it back on his unborn children.

"I was wondering what was taking you so long," she whispered as she snuggled closer.

"Don't wiggle too much, Luv, unless you plan to shag me in the bathroom," Spike purred in her ear. "Then again, we're not sure that's allowed just yet."

"I haven't been able to sleep good since you left," she told him.

"Neither have I." He chuckled, "Missed my Buffy blanket."

Buffy giggled until she felt Nigel move about. "Enough talk, we need to sleep before we wake up snuggles here."

"Whatever you say, dear," Spike whispered as nuzzled his face in the area between her neck and shoulder and settled in for the night.

All three of them slept, oblivious to the going on of the outside world. As phones rang, deals went down, and plans made, to take down one Drusilla Downing. Neither, Buffy or Spike knew that one Xander Harris sat outside their room with a concealed weapon guarding them and the little child he vowed he'd protect at any cost.

*******

Hank was surprised to see young Harris standing guard outside of Buffy's room. He was sleeping, but in a position that if anyone tried to enter or exit the room it would wake him up.

"Xander," Hank whispered as he gently shook the young man to wake him.

Xander jumped and reached for his gun, only to have his hand grabbed and twisted behind his back, and his face against the wall. Hearing the familiar voice, stopped him from attempting to head butt the person behind him.

"What do you think you are doing?" Hank hissed into Harris' ear as he pocketed the other man's gun, making sure the safety was on.

"You scared me," Xander explained as he relaxed and didn't fight back. "Wasn't going to let her come and get the kid."

Hank heard a noise and glanced over to the right as the door to his daughter's room opened. The last thing he wanted was to frighten the occupants that were supposed to be resting in there.

Spike was ready to react to whatever lay waiting for him as he opened the door leading to the hospital corridor. The last thing he expected was to see Buffy's father manhandling Harris, up against the wall outside his girl's room.

"What's going on here?" Spike quietly asked, not wanting to wake his family.

Hank backed off giving Spike a wink before saying, "Seems, our boy has a champion."

Spike stepped out of the room after making sure Buffy and Nigel were still asleep. He let the door gently shut, without a sound as he turned to face his one time friend. The thought that this man felt compelled to watch over his son gave him hope that they could be friends again.

"I appreciate it, mate. I know things might not be the same between us. But I feel better knowing you'd do this for my son," Spike addressed Xander as he held out his hand in thanks.

Xander straightened himself as he turned to face Spike and accept the handshake. "I’m sorry what I said in L.A.. Sometimes my temper causes the need for my foot to be surgically removed from my mouth. You're right, things won't be the same, but then maybe it can be better."

Spike used the grip on the other man's hand to pull Xander into a hug. "I appreciate the chance to make it up to everyone."

"Just take care of your family, man," Xander said as he returned the hug. "Next time ask for help."

"I will, and with friends like you I know they’ll be looked after when I can't," Spike said as he stepped back, giving Xander a big grin.

"Spike, we need to talk," Hand interrupted, feeling like he was intruding on an important moment, but needing to update the man on recent events. "Are Buffy and Nigel still sleeping?"

Spike gave Hank a worried look before cracking the door open and looking in on his beautiful little family. The night-light was shining down on his loved ones who were sleeping nestled together unaware of what was going on.

"Yeah, they are," Spike answered as he again quietly shut the door and turned to face Mr. Summers.

"Xander, stay on guard while I take Spike for a walk," Hank told the long time friend of his daughter's.

"Got it covered, sir," Xander said as he gave the man a salute with a grin on his face.

Hank lead the way as he and Spike walked down to the small waiting area at the end of the hall. Spike felt nervous to the point he was nauseated, worried the older man was bringing him bad news.

He couldn't take it anymore and asked, "She's brought in the police, hasn't she?"

"Yes," Hank answered and quickly reassured Spike, "Don't worry, I have it all under control. Tomorrow someone from Social Services will become involved. We need them on board so we can set you up as Nigel's legal guardian until we are able to prove a few things."

"What if she gets him back, then what?"

Hank placed his hand on the younger man's shoulder offering his assurances, "Go. Be with your family. I promise I will take care of this. Just trust me."

"I trust you. It's the bloody system I don't trust," Spike growled, feeling frustrated that something so simple had to be so hard. "If I trusted the system, I never would've left my wife and missed our children growing inside her."

"Then go and cuddle with my daughter and your son and let me make this right," Hank simply said.

Spike nodded his head as he turned to leave, stopping when he heard Hank say, "By the way, thank you."

"Why are you thanking me?"

"I'm a grandfather," Hank said with a wink and a large grin on his face.

Spike grinned happily. "It's the least I can do, since you and Joyce made her for me."

Hank nodded, then turned to leave via the fire exit. He vowed he'd do anything and everything to make it so Spike would never have to worry about his ex-girlfriend ever again.

*******
Chapter 15 by Kimber
Spike entered Buffy's room finding himself face to face with one very pissed-off pregnant woman. Her face was flushed, her eyes sparkling with a mixture of hurt and anger as she stood looking at him, with her arms across her chest. He wanted to scoop her up and take her right where she stood

"Where the hell have you been?" Buffy demanded in a heated whisper.

He walked over, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her close before he leaned down placing his forehead against hers. "I was talking with your Dad, is all, Goldilocks."

Buffy pouted. "I wanted to wake up with you beside me, all warm and cozy."

"I'm sorry, Kitten, but I promise every morning, from now on, you will wake up in our bed with me plastered up against your sexy little arse for the rest of our lives."

"Lovely, but something tells me we have to talk," she sighed, letting her hands play with the curly short hairs on his neck.

They both looked over toward the bed to check on Nigel. He was still curled up and sleeping soundly. Buffy smiled to herself thinking how handsome the little boy was, just like his father.

"Oh!" Buffy gasped getting Spike's attention.

"What, oh?" Spike asked, feeling concerned watching her hand come up to her stomach at the same time she said oh.

"Here, feel this. Someone's up playing soccer," she said, taking his hand and placing it over her tummy.

"Does it hurt?" he asked in awe when one of their babies made their presence known. Earlier he enjoyed watching as they moved about inside her.

"Sometimes, but not in a bad way," she reassured him.

"I missed so much," Spike sighed as he knelt before her, placing his hands on her bulging stomach. "I'm sorry I wasn't here to tell you how happy I am we created you both. I apologize for not being there from the beginning reading you stories and letting you get used to my voice. But I promise this, I will love you until the day I die and beyond."

Buffy's face flushed, as she watched him move her gown aside and place several kisses on her very pregnant belly. She placed her hands on his head threading her fingers through his hair, feeling embarrassed about her abdominal girth and stretch marks.

Spike noticed her blush and said, "You are more beautiful now than the first day I met you."

"I'm fat," she whimpered.

"You're glowing."

"Are you okay, did you hit your head or something?"

"I want you."

"How can you want me looking the way I do?"

"Simple- I love you and I think you are very sexy standing here, carrying our children nestled all snug inside your wonderful, beautiful, pregnant body. I want you," Spike growled as he stood up, taking her hand and placing it over the firm bulge in his crotch.

"Wow, so I do still turn you on," she giggled as she cupped his hardening shaft and gently fondled him.

Spike groaned as he closed his eyes thanking all the Gods in the universe he was standing here at this moment in time. "Yeah, baby, you turn me on."

"I guess I had better stop distracting you." She smiled as she reluctantly removed her hand from the front of his jeans. "And let you tell me what you and my father talked about."

Spike made a sound like a little puppy trying to get attention when she removed her hand from his body. It took a bit of effort taking her hand and leading her toward one of the chairs. He positioned her just right in his lap as he started to explain what he and her father had discussed.

"We won’t let her take him from us," Buffy reassured him.

"No, baby, we won't. I can't believe you care for him so much so soon," Spike couldn't help but say.

"Silly, what's there not to love, he's your son in looks and deed. He's an innocent child that needs to be loved and we're just the ones for the job," Buffy vowed, knowing the boy was too deep in her heart to lose him now. It would be like losing one of her own.

"Buffy Summers, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife and the mother of my son?" Spike asked with tears in his eyes.

"William Bledsoe, I would be honored to be your wife and the mother of all your children, present, baking, and future," Buffy said as she wiped his tears away, fighting the ones that were threatening to fall from her own eyes.

"Do you know what sex they are?" He asked, as he slipped his hand under the gown and softly rubbed her swollen belly.

"No."

"Pick out any names?"

"No."

"Love me?"

"Yes."

"So, you want more after these?"

"Yep, thinking we could be like that movie, 'Cheaper by the Dozen',"

Spike outright laughed as he stood with her in his arms and kissed her cheek, "I will let you tell me when you're ready to stop. If my girl wants her own rugby team, then who am I to say no?"

"I want you to experience this next time from the beginning. I want you to hold my hand and hold my hair back as I lose my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I want you to tell me how beautiful I am while I complain about my swollen ankles, my need to pee every hour on the hour, my big fat belly, and need for a larger bra. I want you to get up at three in the morning to go and get me my latest craving then sit there and feed it to me."

"Your wish is my command, Kitten. Whisper your wishes in my ear and it will all come true," Spike happily sighed. "Larger bra? Guess being preggers has some lovely benefits."

She leaned in and whispered, "I want you to marry me tomorrow and then make love to me all night long. And leave it to you to perv over my expanding chest."

Spike chuckled as he set her on her feet, keeping his arms around her. "Consider it done, and who better to have lust over your lovely attributes."

"Good, now I'm tired and want to lay down with my husband to be again, and take a short nap before breakfast," she said as she took his hand and started leading him back to the bed.

"I am but your humble servant." Spike bowed before helping her into bed and then snuggling in behind her using his right hand to cup her breast and whispered in her ear, "Are you going to feed the rugrats with these magnificent beauties?"

Buffy giggled softly as she nodded. "Yes. Hope you don't mind."

Spike smiled into her hair as he replied, "Don't mind, just jealous and envious is all."

"I'm pretty sure I can arrange some daddy share time," she said with a yawn.

"Sleep, baby, and I’ll be here when you wake up," Spike promised as he snuggled closer against her.

"Kay."

He never thought he could fall any more in love with this wonderful woman. Until he watched as she wrapped her arm around Nigel and snuggled him against her. The last thought that flashed through his mind was the fact that he wanted to raise his family here in Sunndydale, not in Los Angeles.

*******

"Do you have any answers for me?" Hank asked.

"Oh, everything is coming up roses, baby. We have enough dirt on that bitch to send her away until the cows come home," Warren told his boss. "I have it all burned to a disk and it’s on its way as we speak. I also e-mailed you an interesting tidbit of information on who else is after our sweet little crazy spitfire."

"Really, care to share."

"Her husband."

"Her what?" Hank asked, almost choking on his coffee.

"Yep, seems our girl gets around."

"Warren!"

"Sorry, boss," he chuckled. "Seems our psycho girl married a preacher man by the name of Caleb Springer, from Texas."

"Interesting. Was it legal?" Hank asked.

"Not really, since she used an alias. The same one she was using when the kid was taken by social services."

"Hmmm, contact the man and see what you can find out," Hank instructed, having already arranged for Dru's arrest if she ever showed her face.

"Her list of false identities are impressive. You'd think she worked for the government."

"Have you located where she gave birth?"

"Nope, not yet, sorry. I have found other cities where social services had been contacted to investigate her mothering, or should I say lack of mother abilities."

"Great, I’ll bury her once we catch her."

"I hear she hoodwinked one of old Sunnydale's finest."

"Yeah, well, that has been handled. I'm thinking I might’ve found the new lease on life I've been looking for."

"What? Oh, man, don't tell me, you're going to take over running the Sunnydale police department?" Warren snorted.

"Hey, someone needs to make it safer for my family," Hank chuckled. "I mean you can only blame the unsolved crimes on gangs on PCP for so long."

"I loved reading that on the neighborhood watchers newsletter."

"Keep your eyes open and let me know as soon as she's spotted, and what this Caleb person has to say."

"I can tell you right now, he's a bit on the fanatic side of religious. He makes Farwell and the rest of the bible preachers look like sinners."

"Keep me informed, and if you're a good boy, I'll make you my director of operations."

"Oh, I'm feeling special, but I think I'll stay with big brother here and just spy on you," Warren replied before hanging up.

Hank wondered if they'd ever find out who Drusilla Downing really was. The more he found out about her, the more he wanted to make her disappear.

*******
Chapter 16 by Kimber
Spike sat and watched as Buffy and Nigel shared their meals. He had a feeling it was going to become a common occurrence between them. Dr. Rayne had come and given her a clean bill of health about her neurological status, now they waited for the baby doctor to come and send them home.

Spike heard a knock at the door and gave Buffy a reassuring smile as he walked over to answer it. Thinking it was Buffy's famous Dr. O' Bannon.

Tara, a caseworker with the child services read the report over coffee and now stood at the door of one Buffy Summers. Her boss had called her in on her day off, stating special circumstances that he only trusted her to manage with the delicacy it needed. She knocked on the door and waited for permission to enter.

"Can I help you?" Spike asked woman who stood before him with an old worn brief case and dressed in a earth colored dress that fell to her ankles.

"Hi! I'm Tara McClay, I'm with Children Services. I've been assigned to Nigel Bledsoe's case," she introduced herself, wondering if this was Nigel's father, standing before her.

"Come in, I'm William Bledsoe, and that's Nigel," he introduced himself and his son, "And this lovely creature is my fiancé, Buffy Summers."

"Hello," Buffy said with a smile as Nigel hid his face against her leg. "Nigel, say hello to the nice lady."

"No!" his reply muffled as he started to squeeze her leg tighter.

Buffy gave Spike a worried glance when she felt wetness where his little face was pressed against her. "Spike, honey, come and help me with Nigel."

Spike moved quickly to his son's side and leaned in to kiss his ear as he asked, "What's wrong, Poppet?"

Nigel immediately threw himself in his father's arms and cried, "Gonna take me away."

Spike sat on the bed next to Buffy, feeling his own tears start when he noticed his Goldilocks was crying as well. The last thing his boy needed was to think they were taking him away from them.

"Nigel, I'm here to make it so that you live with your father from now on," Tara reassured the boy, not surprised her presence caused him so much fear, from what she had read in his file. "You do want to live with your dad, right?"

Nigel sniffled as he shook his head yes, never moving his face from his father's chest. "Well, good. I just need to take a special painting of your fingers. Then I need to tickle yours and your daddy's mouth. I need to take your picture and ask your daddy and you some questions. Then I will go back to my office and put them in a special file with your name on it," Tara explained.

"Why?" Nigel asked without moving his face.

"Why what, sweetie?" Tara asked giving his father a wink.

Nigel turned his big watery eyes and red cheeks toward her. "Why paint my fingers?"

Tara giggled as she replied, "Because I think it would be fun, and I can have a copy and you and daddy can have a copy."

"Buffy, too?"

"And Buffy, too, if she wants one." Tara gave him a wink.

"Oh, Buffy wants one, too. This sounds like fun Nige, I'm jealous I can't play," Buffy leaned down kissing his cheek and tickling his side.

Tara made a game out of all she had to do. Everyone had a copy of Nigel's fingerprints. The DNA swabs where complete and pictures were taken with a special one with Nigel, Spike and Buffy together. The questions were short and provided information that helped the caseworker make a decision.

"I see no reason why you cannot keep Nigel with you. We’ll talk later once tests results come back. As for the adoption, that shouldn't be a problem either if it should come to that, which I doubt. I have to say that if this boy isn't yours by blood, I will have to order a Big Mac. I'm a vegetarian mind you." Tara winked as she reached out and ruffled her new little friend's hair.

Spike walked her to the door and thanked her. "You did a wonderful job with him. I really do appreciate the extra time you took to make him comfortable with all of this."

"He made it easy to do. I suggest you do seek some counseling for him, just to be on the safe side," Tara suggested as she looked at how easily the blonde woman had taken to the young boy. "You are one lucky man to have a woman who loves your son without restriction."

"I count my lucky stars everyday that I have her back," Spike agreed as he watched his precious family interact in such a loving way. "I was a fool to ever leave her."

"Ah, but then again, you might not have your son right now. Don't go second-guessing yourself. Be thankful for what you now have."

"Thank you, Tara, you have been a godsend." Spike smiled as he watched her leave.

"Hey, buddy, I'm the only one of the female population you can smile at, like that," Buffy pouted, as she reached out her hand beckoning him to come to her.

"Oh, Luv, was smiling at what she said, about not second guessing and being thankful for what I have now. I'm very thankful," Spike shared as he took her hand, allowing her to pull him to her.

"So am I. He's worth the angst it took to get him with us. Have I told you how proud I am of you, putting your son before yourself, before me or us?"

"I'm grateful I didn't know you were pregnant at the time, it would've killed me to choose," Spike sighed as he nuzzled her hair taking in her scent.

"It's something we don't have to worry about. For some reason it was meant to be and we should not bring it up again. It's not important anymore," Buffy reassured him as she squeezed his thigh.

"Why are you fat?" Nigel asked Buffy as he placed his hand on her stomach.

"She's not fat, Nige, she's carrying your brothers or sisters in there," Spike explained as he placed his hand over his son's small hand. "Your mum carried you like this in her belly before you were born."

Nigel's eyes grew big as he said in awe, "Really? How does it come out?"

"Really. I think we need to take a trip to the library and get a book that tells you how it does," Buffy suggested.

"How did it get in there?" Nigel asked as he laid his head on her stomach.

"That is a story for another time when you are 40 years old or older," Spike said as he tickled his son's belly.

"Chicken," Buffy giggled, loving the sound of Nigel's belly laugh.

"Guilty as charged, ducks, guilty as charged," Spike acknowledged with a sheepish grin as he pulled his son onto his lap.

A knock on the door, followed by the young Irish doctor entering the room with a wide grin on his face brightened their day.

"Top of the mornin'. It's so good to see your smiling face there, Buttercup," Doyle teased. "How is my favorite mommy to be?"

"She’s ready to leave and play house with her man,” she answered, giving Spike a wink.

"Oh, I get it- play house," Doyle chuckled. "I think if you play nice and don't steam up all the windows in the playroom, it might be just what the doctor ordered."

Spike gave his wife-to-be a look that bordered on pissed off and disbelief that she asked the doctor about them having sex. He remembered a time when she would blush if he used the word shagged in front of her friends.

"Hey, when did you get all Victorian on me?" Buffy laughed when she noticed his look.

"I'm just not used to hearing you talk to strange men about the birds and the bees, is all," Spike snorted, as he let Nigel down.

"Well, a girl really has no secrets once she's bonded with her OB," Buffy smiled as she winked at Doyle.

"It's funny how we become like one of the girls," Doyle joked. "The wife loves to tease me the same way, when she gets in the family way and makes me go with her."

"So, I can love my girl nice and gentle like and it won't harm her or the little ones baking inside?" Spike asked, all the while looking at his Buffy with a tilt to his head and a sexy smirk on his face.

"Yes, now on that note I'm going to sign your release papers so you can go home," Doyle winked at the couple on his way out.

"Can we not do the love my girl until I'm your wife again?" Buffy asked her voice sounding anxious.

"Buffy, I told you, baby, I'm willing to do whatever you want or need, no questions asked."

"Daddy, I'm hungry," Nigel pouted.

"What are you hungry for, Poppet?"

"Chicken nuggets."

Buffy wiggled back on the bed, wanting to stretch out for a bit and said, "Then we’ll get some when the nurse comes and says we can leave, okay?"

"Okay," Nigel mumbled as he found the black crayon he was looking for earlier so he could color his father's shirt and pants.

Spike scooted up on the bed and leaned down to kiss her forehead. "Rest, baby. I'm going to see if his work would meet your mum's criteria for hanging in her gallery."

"She would hang it no matter what," Buffy muttered as she fought a yawn and her eyes closed.

Spike stood and joined his son and together they worked on their family portrait, according to Nigel. Everyone was included who mattered, even Buffy's little stick figure with the innocent drawing of her tummy. Nigel stood between them holding both of their hands.

*******
Chapter 17 by Kimber
Author's Notes:
I wish to say thank you for whoever nominated this story on Fool For Love. Also for To Forgive Or Forget, and Love Me For Me, you guys made my year.
Spike smiled as they walked out of the hospital together. Nigel was secure between he and Buffy with each holding one of the little boy's hands. The only dark cloud hanging over them was Dru and he decided he'd trust Hank with that problem.

"I can't wait to get home, there's nothing like sleeping in your own bed." Buffy sighed as she fought back a yawn.

"I second that, baby. I can't complain about the size, just the unforgiving lump they call a mattress," Spike teased, as he gave her a wink.

"Are we going home?" Nigel asked, his voice sounding hesitant and nervous.

"We are going to my mom's house," Buffy simply told him.

"Actually, I will be taking you to an undisclosed furnished apartment for today," Lindsey informed them as he joined them. "Just a precaution, mind you, until Miss Downing is arrested and safely behind bars."

"Oh!" Buffy exclaimed, her voice a bit hesitant.

"I'm sorry, baby," Spike whispered, his voice sounding tired and scared.

Buffy turned to give him a reassuring smile and said, "Honey, it's not you. I really was looking forward to my already broken in bed."

They continued to follow the agent to the unmarked car. Both Spike and Buffy knew they'd avoided the big talk of things that had happened over the last couple of months. However, privacy for such a talk had been very limited, but that would change if they were to share an apartment with only Nigel. There would be time to really talk and get everything out in the open.

*******

Dru paced the hotel room floor, outside of Sunnydale, wondering how she was going to work out this unforeseen problem. Her survival instincts told her to cut her losses and run. For Spike to have taken Nigel and returned to the woman who turned him away from her, he had to have found something out. But she was not about to let Spike get away with betraying her. He'd promised her to make them a family, and he never in the past had broken a promise to her.

"I bet the brat talked," she fumed, as her thoughts started to get away from her. "I know I covered my tracks very well. I always do. It had to have been the boy."

She had read about her Spike's success in the publishing world one day and new she held the card to cash in on his success. Her plan quickly came to mind, knowing how rash Spike was at making decisions when up against the wall in the past. Also having an inside knowledge of his weakness for children, it made him easy to play. She just needed to know why the rules changed and she hadn't seen it coming.

*******

The man dressed in all black with a white collar around his neck stood outside the airport. He was talking to the taxi driver asking for a ride to the train station. The train to Sunnydale, if he made it on time, was due to leave in an hour.

"I thank you kindly for your assistance," Caleb thanked the driver for understanding his need to get to his ill wife.

"No problem, Padre," Juan replied as he opened the door for the preacher. "I will pray you'll find her in better health when you arrive."

"Gracious, Juan, you can never have enough prayers, my friend," the preacher smiled as he kept thinking of the ways he was going to punish his runaway whore of a wife. "I'm sure God is listening."

*******

"Hank, where's Buffy?" Joyce asked as she looked for her daughter when she opened the door.

"She's with Spike and Nigel," he answered, waiting for her to invite him in.

"Well, you had better come in and explain what's going on then," Joyce said, with a worried look on her face.

Hank walked in the house and into the living room, noticing everyone was present. By the looks of things they were expecting Buffy to be coming home. He felt bad they were going to be disappointed at the moment.

"I see everyone is here." He sighed.

"Yeah, except for Buffy and company," Xander pointed out.

"I'm sorry about that," Hank apologized. "I have them in a safe place until we apprehend Drusilla."

"Can we talk to her?" Joyce asked, wanting to hear her daughter's voice.

"Yes, here's a cell phone that she will be able to call you on once she's settled," Hank said as he pulled out a small cell phone from one pocket and the charger from the other. "She should be getting to the apartment very shortly. I have another phone there, waiting with instructions once she gets there."

"Thank you, I know it's silly I should be saying that, with you being Buffy's father," Joyce blushed at what she was saying.

"It's okay, Joyce, I understand." Hank smiled reassuringly. "I need to go. I have a meeting with the mayor, and a criminal to apprehend."

"Could you please ask Mr. Wilkins when he plans on hiring competent people to protect his constituents?" Giles asked, still angry over the incompetent police officer from the other night.

Hank chuckled and decided to tell them, "He's already done it. You’re looking at the new Police Chief of Sunnydale."

"What? Really?" Joyce asked, in shock her ex-husband would give up the job he chose over his family.

"I think I can protect those I care about more here at home," Hank answered, hoping Rupert would understand he was not going to try and win Joyce back. It was too late for them, but it wasn't too late for him to start being a father and grandfather.

"I think it's wonderful news," Giles congratulated the man he felt no threat from concerning his wife. He knew the man was thinking of his children and their children.

"I really am glad to hear that, Giles," Hank replied as he held out his hand to the man who did a fine job of taking care of Joyce and his girls. "I respect your opinion and would like to hear them sometime on what you think we can do to make Sunnydale the safest city to live in."

Giles chuckled as he returned the handshake and answered, "I know that can be arranged."

"Great! Well I had better get going. I want to check with my men and see what they've found so far," Hank said before turning to leave. "I will keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have Dru in custody."

"Bye daddy!" Dawn ran to him and hugged him. "I'm so happy you are going to be here."

"Me too, baby girl." Hank sighed as he hugged her close. "You take care and listen to your mom, especially right now, okay?"

"Okay. If you see Buffy tell her I love her," Joyce's voice was tearful.

Hank's expression softened as he replied, "I will, and don't you worry. She will be home very soon, I promise."

Everyone stood quietly as they watched him leave. Saddened that Buffy was not coming straight home, but relieved she and Nigel was safe from any potential problems concerning Dru.

"Mrs. Giles, care to tell us how your talk with Spike went?" Willow asked, hoping she could shed some light on how this all came about.

Joyce motioned for everyone to have a seat and then explained everything Spike had told her. Starting with how Nigel's mother had sprung her conditions of letting him see his son. That he had tried to find out about their past and kept hitting walls. His private investigator had come up short. He really couldn't ask Dru about the identities she had used without alerting her to his checking up on her.

"Wow, I'm not sure how I would have handled something like that." Lorne sighed, wishing now he'd followed his gut instinct and pushed harder for Spike to talk to him.

"Yeah, I kind of feel sorry for the man," Xander agreed. "I'm not sure what I would've done either."

"I would choose my defenseless child." Giles sighed. "There was no other choice that I see he had. It seems this Dru character had all her bases covered except one."

"Which was?" Joyce asked, curious to what her husband's take on all this was.

"Hank," Giles said with a evil smile. "I'm glad that Spike came to his senses. I see he's not been taking very good care of himself. He's lost too much weight."

"I have to say I was too pissed to notice at the zoo," Xander said.

"As was I," Giles agreed.

"So, do you think Buffy will forgive him?" Dawn asked.

"I think she may have already," Joyce answered, hoping no one objected. "I think they still have some issues to iron out. But I think she can find it in her heart to forgive him."

"And us?" Xander asked.

"I guess that’s up to you," Giles replied. "I know I can find it in my heart to forgive him. It's not like he maliciously broke her heart, and from the sight of him, hers was not the only one broken."

"I hope he can forgive himself," Willow said to bring up that factor as well. "And maybe we can help him with that in making him see he’s forgivable."

Joyce walked over and hugged the girl and said, "Yes, you’re so right."

Candice stood at the doorway smiling because her job here was done. It was time to go home and find another family that needed her services. She also knew that Dru's fate was written in the cards, and there was nothing anyone could do about it. The woman would soon meet her destiny, and it was not a pleasant one at that. Her only regret was putting Buffy's family and Spike through the little drama yesterday. It was drastic measures for desperate times.

She returned to her room and prepared to leave. Someone would drive her to the bus station, she had no doubt. The problem was making sure they didn't stay to see if she boarded the bus or not. For where she needed to go, a bus, train, nor automobile would get her there.

"Maybe one day everyone would believe there were such things as guardian angels," she said with a wink as she looked up toward the ceiling and giggled. "Nah, what fun would it be then, right?"

*******
Chapter 18 by Kimber
Spike softly closed the door to Nigel's bedroom, having put him down for a nap. The stress taking a toll on the little boy, as well as the adults present in the room. He knew the time was now upon him to answer a few of Buffy's questions. He knew their heartfelt reunion was real, but they still had a few matters to lay to rest.

Buffy found being with Spike right now a bit uncomfortable. Only two questions were burning for answers. "How could you have slept with Dru? And what if she's pregnant again?"

Spike took a moment to get his thoughts together, knowing this was going to be a touchy conversation. Not blaming her for wanting to know, and preparing for the fact she could still very well walk away and not want anything more to do with him.

"Let's take the last one first, much easier to answer," Spike began, as he sat down on the couch beside her. He needed to be near her ever since he found her awake asking for him yesterday.

"Okay," Buffy simply said as she reached over and took his hand. She knew this was going to be just as hard for him to tell, as it was going to be for her to hear.

"She told me that giving birth to Nigel damaged her uterus and they had to remove it after taking the baby by c-section. There is a rather ugly scar there," Spike explained before squeezing her hand as he continued. "But more importantly, I told her we had to wait for a few months before we had sex, thinking I would find what I needed to prove her unfit."

"But it didn't happen the way you planned, I take it." She sighed, not sure if she wanted to have this conversation, but knowing they needed to talk about it.

"No it didn't," he mumbled, as he started to worry he was about to lose her again.

"So you and Dru made love."

"No! Never did I ever make love with that woman. Only you, Buffy, I only in my life have made love to you. If nothing else I've come to realize it's that since that night I walked out of our home, broken and torn." Spike's voice sounded strained, his facial expression pained. "I always wore a condom."

"She fell for that." Buffy snorted, giving him a look of disbelief.

"Yes, she knows I'm monogamous in my relationships and that I knew she was not. I told her I would not risk my health and she had to prove to me she could be faithful for six months," Spike explained. "Which was great for her, you see. She had me by the balls really. Limited the time I needed to find out things about her, and the private investigator was having a hard time finding anything on her. Never had much alone time with my son, for she used the excuse that if she was never out of my sight, then I'd know for sure she wasn't cheating. She thought I hired Candace to spy on her, using Nigel as a cover, never realizing it was because I never trusted her with my son.

"So it was just sex?" Buffy asked, wondering how that worked if you didn't love someone.

"Buffy, I'm not proud of what I've done. But give a man a magazine, Victoria Secret’s a favorite of mine, and a good sexual imagination tool," Spike tried to explain.

"In other words you had to make yourself have sex with her."

"You just don't know how hard it was." Spike sighed, thinking of what he had resorted to, and how hard it was becoming to keep it up.

"Spike, please promise me you will never make any rash decisions again without talking to me first," Buffy said as she scooted closer, taking his hand in hers.

"I promise, Luv." He lifted her hand up to his lips. "I know now what it means to be without you, and I never want to feel that empty again."

"I know what you mean. Even with carrying the babies, I felt like something was missing," she agreed. "I was missing you."

"Buffy, I never really knew what love was until you showed me." Spike sighed as he cradled his face in her neck. "You are my sunshine, my light. Your presence makes my eyes bright and loving you sends my spirit in flight. Without you in my life nothing seems right."

"Lovely words you prattle with your wicked tongue," Buffy teased. "Who wrote them?"

"I did," Spike said sheepishly.

"When?" she asked.

"Last night as I watched you sleep," he confessed. "Buffy, I promise to love you until my dying day."

"Mr. Bledsoe, would you do me the honor of becoming my husband this Saturday afternoon?" Buffy asked, knowing she was making the right choice in working at them being a family again.

"I would be honored to become your husband," he answered with a large smile that made his eyes dance.

"I need to fatten you up, Mister." Buffy poked his side gently.

"I didn't have much of an appetite," he replied as he took her poking hand and brought it up to his lips and kissed the back of her hand. "Let's take a nap, baby. You look tired."

"I'm okay," Buffy replied, at the same time fighting off a yawn.

"Nope, nappy time for you, Kitten," Spike told her as he stood up offering her his hand to help her stand. "Indulge me, baby. I have a lot of pampering to make up for."

"Oh, pampering sounds really good. Does that include body massages?" she teased as she let him assist her to stand.

"Anything your heart desires, baby," he promised as he led her toward their bedroom. "Care to tell me what you need to have massaged first?" he asked as he wagged his eyebrows suggestively.

"Oh, I was thinking feet first and then work your way up to my neck and shoulders." She sighed playfully. "Then if you're really good, I'd love a nice scalp massage."

"Fine, but don't blame me if I make a few stops along the way," Spike purred as he led her toward the bed, letting his imagination take over. Seeing her naked lying on the bed moaning his name, having stopped on one of those rest stops, made it hard for him to breathe.

Buffy giggled as she felt him unzip the back of her sundress. His lips softly tracing her spine as he lowered the zipper, sending goose bumps all over her body. Once the dress was undone she felt his hands move under it to slowly slip it over her shoulders and down her arms. Next, he came up and unfastened the clasp to her bra, again slowly arranging for it to fall to the floor. He hands drifted down to help her clothing over her pregnancy taking a moment, to worship lovingly, her expanded stomach with his touch.

"Let me know if I do anything that hurts or you are uncomfortable with," Spike offered, enjoying touching her so.

Buffy's voice was raspy as she replied, "I trust you."

"I appreciate that, but I've never made love to a pregnant woman before, so I need you to guide me here at bit," he suggested, still feeling anxious he might do something to hurt her or the baby.

"I’ll let you know, I promise."

Spike purred as he brought his hands up and cupped her breasts, taking in the new fullness from her pregnancy. "I can't wait to see our children being fed naturally by their mother. Not that it turns me on, but more like amazes me it can be done."

Buffy moaned as she felt the new sensitivity his touch brought to life as he gently squeezed and rolled her nipples between his finger and thumbs. She leaned back. Her voice was barely a whisper, "I want you."

"What my lady wants she will get, in due time," he playfully growled in her ear. "I wish to savor this moment and remember it for the rest of my life. I feel like it's the first time all over again."

His tender words brought tears to her eyes, knowing he was not only telling her how much he loved her, he was showing her as well. She rested her hands back on his hips, using their grip to hold him in place as she rubbed back against him. Hearing his sharp intake of breath alerted her she was making a statement of her own with how she was working his body. All thoughts of possibly waiting until Saturday flew out the window.

"I'm yours," was all she said, as she leaned her head to the side, giving him access to her neck. Taking full advantage of the move his lips softly suckled the soft skin there.

"It's been so long without you; don't torture me too much longer," she begged, with a teasing tone to her voice.

Spike took that as his lead to further along the seduction of his Goldilocks. His lips again traveled down her spine as his hands started to remove her underwear. Dropping to his knees, he helped her step out of them, before leaning back to admire her pretty little backside.

"Buffy, can you bend forward and put your hands on the bed?" he asked, as he removed his shirt, and unbuttoned his jeans.

"Yes," she said as she did as he asked.

"If you get tired let me know, Luv," he instructed her as he gently spread her legs, giving him access to her womanly opening.

She gasped as she felt his tongue start to tease her opening. His hands massaging and keeping her open, exposing her to his loving touches as his tongue started to pleasure her greatly.

"Yes, just like that." She moaned, as her hips started to move in time to his mouth.

Slowly he pulled back, as his hand drifted between her legs. Gently he inserted first one finger and then two into her moist opening. She was so wet it made his cock grow even harder, without any physical stimulation needing to be applied.

"Are you okay, baby?" he asked as he stood up, using his free hand to push down his pants and position himself behind her.

"Yes. Now make love to me before I push you on this bed and do it myself," she growled, causing him to chuckle.

"Only thing missing is the whip and chains with that growl, my little tigress," he teased as he positioned his hardened member at her entrance.

"Next time," she panted, as she arched as much as she could, wanting him inside, making love to her.

"Promises, promises," he said, as he slowly entered her body, letting her reactions guide him on how he should continue.

"More, oh please more," she begged as she tried to push herself back on his hard cock, only he wouldn't let her.

"Slowly at first, my love, slowly." He panted, trying very hard to keep from just thrusting up inside and pounding her hard and fast.

She whimpered as she whined teasingly, "I want it now."

Spike took a deep breath as he pushed up further until he was in as far as he could go. The feel of being inside her again was beginning to take its toll on his willpower to take things easy. It didn't help that she was enticing him to forego caution and just fuck her silly.

"Need to be careful baby. Don't want to hurt you or the babies." He panted as he started to thrust gently in and out of her warmth, feeling like he found his way back to heaven. "Oh sweet Buffy, love you."

"Love you, too." She panted as she started to squeeze her vaginal walls around him, hearing him gasp and groan in response.

"You’re a minx." He panted as he increased the thrust a bit, judging her reaction before he decided if he could do more.

Buffy reached over grabbing one of the pillows and then placing it under her tummy, feeling her lover tense up and ask, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, don't you dare stop," her voice raspy, but firm.

He groaned his response, "Couldn't." As he continued to bring her closer to her climax, praying he'd be able to keep it together until then.

He felt the beginning of her orgasm, feeling her tightening around him. Due to her pregnancy, he couldn't reach around to stimulate her faster. Holding back just a bit, wanting her to cross over first he started singing to himself his favorite song by the Ramones, "I want to be sedated."

The only problem was the sedation he wanted came in a sexy little package named Buffy. "Now, luv, come for me now," he pleaded knowing he couldn't wait any longer.

"Spike!" She groaned finding her release, but suddenly remembering the little boy sleeping in the next room.

"Yes!" he shouted as he came hard and deep inside her, rejoicing he'd been able to bring her off before he disappointed her.

Buffy rested her head down on the bed, feeling her legs grow weak. She wasn't sure if she could stand one more minute as she called for her lover. "Need…to lay…down."

Spike quickly pulled out and assisted her to turn and sit down on the side of the bed. She giggled at the sight of him standing there, still in his pants down by his shoes. Her giggle was infectious as he looked down at what made her laugh.

He quickly toed off his shoes and stepped out of his discarded jeans. Lifting her face up toward his he took in her freshly loved expression and felt a weight lift off his chest. She was his again, and this time he was not going to screw that up. He'd die before ever causing her such pain again.

"I'm yours Buffy, forever until the day I die, to do with as you see fit," he vowed as he knelt before her. "There will never be anyone else for me but you."

"Even if I die?"

"Don't say that, don't ever fucking say that," he growled, as he grabbed her arms. "Please don't say that, after what just happened."

She raised her hands, cupping his face. "I'm sorry, baby. I shouldn't have asked that."

"Too soon to talk about it," he said as he relaxed his hold and leaned into her touch.

"I know," she replied as she leaned into kiss his nose and then lips. "Come to bed, Spike. Just hold me and let's get some rest."

"I think we need to get under the covers in case we get company," he suggested.

"Give me your shirt," she said, wanting to wear something with his scent on it. Just like she did when he first left.

"Here ya go," he said as he helped her put on his shirt taking time to kiss her stomach twice. "Hello, little ones, hope me and your mum didn't scare you."

"I think you might have rocked them to sleep," she teased as she stood up and let him pull down the blankets.

"Into bed with you woman." He snorted, giving her a smirk as she seductively crawled up into the middle of the bed. "Do you have some fries to go with that shake, baby?"

Buffy giggled as she lay down on her side. "Stop talking about food and get in here beside me, my favorite bed warmer."

"I'll give you a bed warmer," he chuckled as he crawled in beside her, pulling the covers up over them, tucking her in. "Sleep well, Kitten," he whispered as he snuggled up behind her, slipping his hand up under the shirt, cupping her right breast.

"You too, baby," she said as she fought off a yawn.

Spike found it hard to keep his eyes open, listening one last time to see if he heard Nigel moving about. His last thought was on the fact he finally had his family together again with a new hope it would not be tore apart again.

*******

Candice stood beside Nigel's bed and smiled. She could feel how much happier he was now. It still wasn't over, but things where moving in the right direction.

"He will get his wish, if it's the last thing I do," Hallie told the boy's guardian angel.

"Hallie, you cannot tell me what it is you have planned," Candice reminded her.

"I know, I'm just saying, his wish will come true," the vengeance demon said with a wink.

"I do want to thank you for coming to me before you acted. It gave me a chance to make this all happen."

Hallie smiled, loving it when a plan came together. Once the boy had made his wish the last time he was locked in the closet, it was out of anyone's hands. No one got away with hurting a child on her watch.

She could still hear his little voice all tearful and scared asking, "Please, give me a mummy who loves me."

So, she went to someone who she trusted, who would do the right thing and give the boy the mother he deserved, the one he wished for. What she couldn't tell the angel, was the steps she, herself, took to ensure the boy stayed safe.

"Take care of yourself, Hallie,” Candice told her as she prepared to leave, knowing she could do the rest of her job away from here. She was getting far too attached to the boy.

"Oh, don't worry, it's what I do best. Well, after the children that is, they do come first." She snickered, giving the young angel a wink. She had another friend to visit and check up on her. She made her friend Anya aware of a certain distraught preacher who had his heart broken by a certain little troublemaker by the name of Dru.

Each dropped a kiss on the boy's forehead before they left, knowing he was in a much better place with his father and soon to be new mother. Nigel sighed as he snuggled deeper into sleep, dreaming he was chasing a big black dog as his father and Buffy watched on.

*******
Chapter 19 by Kimber
The dark haired woman sat on the bed in her hotel room, going over her plan again. She'd find the boy tomorrow and take him, right out from under their noses. No one played her for a fool and got away with it. Tonight she'd spend the night here, just outside of Sunnydale. Tomorrow she'd disguise herself so she could find that boy and take him faraway from Spike.

Dru jumped at the knock on her door, shocked since no one knew she was here. Approaching the door with suspicion and wondering if she should answer the door or pretend she wasn't in.

"Pretty Darlin', I know you're in there," the familiar southern voice spoke through the door.

She knew he had found her and there was no way she would be able to hide from him right now. Hoping her influence over him was still strong, she quickly opened the door and jumped into his arms.

"Oh, my love, you found me!" she cried, bringing the tears forth easily upon command.

"You knew I would," he replied, smiling as he hugged her close and knew she was about to lie to him again.

"He forced me to leave you," she started her story. "Wanted his son, and to punish me for keeping him from Nigel."

"My poor sweet wife, I'm here now," he drawled, happy she hadn't seen his hands and what was in his left one.

He kept her close in his embrace as he carried her into the room. Her lying, whoring, cheating, ways were going to end. The voice of God inside his mind spoke, instructing him on how she should be punished."

"Now, he's taken my son from me and I don't know what to do," she cried, thinking he was still the same weak-minded preacher she had swindled before having to run from Texas.

"No need to worry your pretty little head about it," he assured her as he carried her toward the bed. "Caleb is here now and he will take care of everything."

Dru smiled, thinking she still had him under her thumb as she continued to sniffle and say, "I knew I should have called you, but I didn't think you'd want to help me."

"I'm going to help, don't worry about that," he told her, his voice changed, becoming sinister in nature as he quickly flung her on the bed.

"Caleb?" Dru asked, her voice confused as she saw a part of him she'd never knew existed.

"I warned you not to leave," he growled as he reached over and grabbed a pillow. "No one leaves me and lives."

Dru's eyes grew large, knowing he was about to kill her. Before she could scream he straddled her body, placing his hand over her mouth. Her wrists capture above her head, with his other hand. "You never asked about my other two wives. You should've, maybe even gone to visit them."

She looked up and noticed the look of madness in his eyes, realizing her fatal mistake. He wasn't eccentric as she had first thought, but psychotic. How could she have misread him so badly?

"Oh, Dru, Dru, Dru, what are you to do?" he sang, as he smirked down at her. "The first ex-wife met her untimely death at the hand of a supposed robber. The second wife? Well, she took her own life in a dark alley all hyped up on street drugs. Never did anyone ever link them to me."

Dru was wondering how he'd make hers look like anything but murder. Her question became reality as he leaned in and hissed, "How terrible, you knew you were caught in your lies and deceit. A child abuser that could no longer live with the guilt of what she had done to her own child." His hand that covered her mouth, now also pinched her nose. "Soon you will be too weak to fight me any longer."

Time felt like it was standing still, she found it hard to breath and no matter how hard she tried she could not buck him off. Her mind started to dim, as her lungs felt like they were going to burst. The fact her life started flashing before her eyes, scared her, seeing all she would have to pay for after she died.

"He waits for you in Hell," Caleb said as he felt her weaken, waiting a few seconds more before he completed his plan.

She felt in a daze as he let go of her hands. The will to fight was gone, as she felt him place something in her right hand, cold and heavy. Her mind unable to process what he was doing, as he lifted her hand placing something cool against her temple.

"Repent sinner against God and man," he preached. "For you will be judged and sent to Hell for those you have defiled with your presence and evil deeds."

Before she could react and stop him, she was dead. She never heard the shot, or felt the pain as the bullet entered her brain. Her last thought was- how could she let this happen?

Caleb acted quickly as he hurried off the bed and smoothed out the sheets that proved there had been two people on the bed. Noticing the blood on the gloves he pulled them off and stuck them in his pants pocket. He commended himself on keeping her from seeing them when she'd first opened the door.

Picking up a Kleenex he then walked to the door, opening it slowly, making sure no one would see him leave. He walked quickly to the fire exit and took the stairs to the lower level, smiling to himself as he made it to his room undetected.

*******

The shifting of the bed woke him up. It was hard not to keep from smiling, as the little body continued its way up toward him and Buffy. The thought of this being an everyday occurrence made it impossible not to grin.

Buffy knew Spike was awake, and followed his lead as Nigel made his way up the bed toward them. Realizing with a silent giggle it was a good thing she did wear the shirt to bed.

"Daddy, are you up?" Nigel asked, his voice so soft and unsure.

"Yes, Poppet, I'm up," he said, as he turned to face his son’s sweet face and sleep tousled hair.

"Me too," Buffy informed them both as she rolled over to have a look at her family. "My, like father, like son." She tried not to snort, taking in how the only difference in their hair was the color. "Both have fantastic bedheads."

"I wouldn't talk if I were you." Spike smirked, loving how her hair hung around her face, all disheveled. Making him want to run his fingers through her mane, hoping to tame its wild strands.

Nigel giggled as his father pulled him up placing him between Buffy and himself. "I'm hungry."

"I think you father can help you with that," Buffy said as she looked across at Spike. "But, that could be a problem with kitchen wear."

Spike snickered. "Well, you have the shirt on, Luv."

"Yes, but it doesn't cover all the necessary important parts, Honey," she sweetly returned.

"Nigel, did you use the bathroom before coming in here?" he asked.

"No." Nigel's voice sounded like he'd done something bad.

Spike and Buffy each picked up on it immediately with Spike tickling his son as he suggested. "Well, then you go to the Loo, and I will go see about making us something to eat."

"Stop," Nigel laughed. "I gotta pee."

Buffy smiled as she watched both her men play. Feeling one of her babies kick she waved her hand to get the others attention. "Nigel, come say hello to your brothers or sisters." Nigel looked at her confused, until she brought his hand to her stomach and said, "They want to say hello to you."

The young boy's eyes grew large and his mouth gaped open when he felt the first kick. "Does it hurt?" he asked.

"No," she simply said, watching as he continued to feel her belly.

"Can they hear me?" he asked as he looked up with excitement written all over his face.

"I think so," she replied as she ran her hair through his messy hair.

Spike saw the tears of happiness in Buffy's eyes as they watched Nigel lean down and introduce himself to the unborn babies. "I'm Nigel," he said and then kissed her belly. "I'm your big brother."

"Yes, you are," Buffy reaffirmed. "Nigel, I will love you always as if you are my son."

Nigel looked up with an expression of wonder as he asked, "Can I call you mommy?"

Spike noticed he asked mommy and not mummy. He watched as Buffy's face broke into a huge smile as she nodded. "I would be very happy and proud to have you call me mommy."

Nigel quickly moved off the bed and started to run before stopping to say, "Gotta go to the bathroom."

Spike chuckled as he quickly threw back the covers and jumped out of bed. "Need my shirt, Kitten."

"But I like it on me better."

"Can't be walking around here half-naked all day." He sighed, laughing as she rolled her eyes.

"Never stopped you before."

"Didn't have an impressionable four-year-old to mentor, then," he said with a wink as he pulled on his pants.

"True." She sighed dramatically as she removed his shirt and put on her own clothes.

He stalked her around the room to get his shirt, making her giggle and laugh as she did before Dru had interrupted their happy life. Once he had his shirt back in his possession he put it to his nose and breathed in her scent.

"Mine," she said as she pulled his face down to hers and kissed him passionately. "Don't you ever forget it."

"Never, baby, never again will you doubt my love for you," he promised as he led her out the door. "Now let’s go so I can feed my family."

*******

Hank had just hung up from Joyce. She had things ready that she was sure Buffy would need. He figured he'd give the newly reunited couple, some private time at the apartment. Let them get settled in- nap, talk, to just be a family for a little while.

When his cell phone rang, he prayed it was good news about Drusilla's whereabouts, as he said, "Summers, here. I hope you have something for me."

"Hey, boss man," Warren's cheery voiced greeted him. "I have some pending good news, well at least I think you can call it that."

"Enlighten me," Hank replied, hoping he would be able to recruit the man to come work for him after all this was completed.

"Do you know where Sutherland, California is?" Warren asked.

"Yes, otherwise known as Smotherland, due to the questionable deaths that happen around there," Hank answered, wondering what this had to do with anything concerning Dru.

"Well, it seems they have a Prudence Falkner as a guest at the Days Inn, or was a guest. Seems she didn't like how things were going and put some lead in her head," Warren explained.

"Should we be aware of this Prudence for some reason?" Hank asked, wondering if it had something to do with Dru.

"It was one of the few names I was able to pull up that our lovely mother-not-of-the-year had used in the past." Warren sighed. "I called ahead and told them not to move the body."

"Good man, Warren," Hank praised him. "Call Lindsey and ask him to go over and take Joyce to see Buffy. I'm going to take a quick drive to see if it is indeed her."

"Gotcha covered there, boss man," Warren replied as he used the other phone to dial Lindsey's phone. "Keep me updated, will ya?"

"I’ll let you know as soon as I see the body. Tell McDonald to keep my family safe."

"Will do, over and out," Warren said as he hung up from Hank and turned to tell Lindsey the new plan.

*******

Spike never felt happier watching his family sitting together at the table. The look on his girl's face as she ate her French toast smothered in sliced bananas and syrup, was a mixture of disgust and curiosity. He couldn't help wonder what other concoctions she had come up with throughout her pregnancy.

Nigel scrunched up his nose at what Buffy was eating and asked, "I don't have to eat that, do I?"

Spike fought back a laugh when Buffy started to pout and say, "It tastes better than it looks, honest."

"Don't you fret, Luv. If you think it's the next best thing since milk and cookies you go on ahead and enjoy," Spike consoled her.

"But it is," she said as her bottom lip started to quiver. "Here, taste it for yourself," she offered as she held her fork out toward Spike.

"Don't care too much for the bananas, Pet," he used as an excuse.

"You like my mom's banana cream pie," she challenged him.

"But I don't like the banana bread," he reminded her.

"You won't know, unless you try it," she said with a determined look on her face.

Spike laughed as he leaned in and let her put the bite of her food in his mouth. The taste was too sugary sweet for him, and other than the cream pie, he really didn't like bananas very much.

"So?" she asked, waiting to see his reaction.

"Nope, not as good as the cream pie." He sighed, as he stood to walk over and stand behind her. "Maybe I need to have a second taste."

Buffy tilted her head back as he leaned down and kissed her deeply, tasting the sweetness that was her mixed with the taste of her meal. Never would he get tired of kissing her, and vowed she would never doubt his love for her ever again.

"Now, that was better then any banana cream pie," he said as they separated, giving her a wink as he turned to his son and asked, "Are you still hungry?" Having noticed his plate was almost empty.

Nigel nodded his head yes, as he looked up at his father's face. "Will I have to go back and live with mummy?"

"Do you want to?" Spike asked as he knelt before his son's chair to ask.

"Would I be bad if I said no?" he asked, making Buffy feel like the boy was too grown up for his young age.

"No, it would not make you bad, Nige. Maybe one day you can tell me everything she did, and I can tell you it will never happen again. I promise no one will ever hurt you again as long as I'm alive," Spike assured his son, as he reached over and cupped his small face with the palm of his hand. "You will grow up knowing you are loved and wanted."

Nigel threw himself in his father's arms, causing Spike to lose his balance and fall backwards. He tickled his son, making his childish laugh ring through the kitchen. The noise that told him in the end, the journey to get his son was worth it if he continued to hear this sound for as long as he could.

The boy's genuine laughter made Buffy's eyes tear up. It was like finding sunken treasure telling her that the rough bump in the road, known as Dru, with an acceptable intrusion. If things had not worked out the way they had, this beautiful child would not be here with them today. Spike's life would have been darkened a great deal, worrying about his child's quality of life and if he was still alive.

She silently thanked whoever was responsible for her trip back in time to witness her past. If she had not had the chance to see it from another aspect, she was not sure she would've been able to accept Spike back in her life so easily, if at all.

*******
Chapter 20 by Kimber
Author's Notes:
Sad to say, but only a few more chapters to go......I wish to thank everyone for they warm and well loved reviews.....
Chapter 20


Hank walked out of the hotel room, so many questions screaming at him that needed answers. There was no mistaking the dead woman was Dru, lying there, no longer a threat to those he held dear. Still, it all didn't make sense, and he was sure there was some kind of foul play involved. His gut felt twisted, knowing she had not died by her own hand.

"She had no visitors that you know of?" he asked the lead officer.

"The manager called the desk clerk who worked when she registered. Said she checked in late last night, all alone. Said he never saw her leave and neither did the morning clerk. The only other person who checked in after her was a man traveling through."

Hank knew he should be asking more questions, but he just couldn’t do it. Something told him this was for the best, and had nothing to do with Spike or Nigel. That something more happened here, it had to do with someone after Dru and not her son.

"If anything else comes up, let me know," Hank offered. "I’ll send you a list of names we have her listed under, and someone will be in touch with collecting the body."

"So you are going to take jurisdiction then?" the officer asked.

"Yes," he explained, leaving out the only interest he had was finding out who she truly was, and if her death gave him cause to worry.

"Okay, we will move her to the morgue at Sunnydale," he told Hank. "What name should we use?"

Hank tried not to roll his eyes, before answering, "The name she registered in with alias underneath it, Drusilla Downing, should work."

"Good, is there next of kin we need to worry about?"

"No, there isn't," Hank told him, thinking it wasn't pertinent they knew she had a son.

"Thanks for coming down. I still don't understand how you heard so quickly," the officer said, as his face grew curious.

"Was just about to come and check things out when I heard about the shooting here. Someone had alerted us she might be out this way," Hank said in a nonchalant tone as if he had just been following a lead. "One of my men will be in contact very soon."

"No problem, Agent Summers," the officer said, secretly happy that the man was taking over, since he smelled something wasn't right about it. He was sure the woman had not killed herself, but now it wasn't up to him to figure it out.

Hank walked to his car pulling out his cell phone call Warren.

"Hey, boss, tell me what ya know."

"Warren, get someone here to pick up the body at Sunnydale Morgue. She will be under the name Prudence Falkner with the alias Drusilla Downing attached. Get me an autopsy as quick as you can for a preliminary cause of death," Hank instructed him. "Use what you can to find out who this woman really was."

"You know we many never find out. I'm thinking she's been on the run for many years. Could be she's an old runaway that no one ever reported missing," Warren said.

"All we can do is try. If nothing else I would like to find out where she gave birth to Nigel. See if you can at least track that much about her for now. I want to get that boy's birth certificate to his father."

"I hear ya, and I'm on it," Warren promised, knowing this was personal for Hank.

"Warren, thank you."

"Welcome, boss."

"I’ll still try and steal you away and get you to come work for me," Hank told him, before hanging up the phone.

Warren laughed, knowing if anyone would entice him to leave the agency, it would be Hank Summers. "I guess it wouldn't hurt to hear what the man had to offer."

*******

Joyce sat at the table watching her daughter smile at the noise going on in the living room. The first thing she noticed when she entered the apartment was the fact Buffy and Spike seemed even closer than before all the sadness and pain of their separation.

"It's so good to see you smiling again," Joyce said.

"I have him back in my life, and something extra special," Buffy explained. "I have to say, as much as it hurt, it's worth it to have that little boy with us right now."

"You don't think it could've been handled different?" Joyce asked, wondering if they had really talked this out or she was just accepting Spike back without question.

"To think how things could have happened, no. It would be useless to think of what might have worked or not worked. Nigel is with us, unharmed and is what's important right now,” she said, hoping that her mother would understand. "If things had been done differently, he might be out there somewhere with Dru, living God knows where, being treated poorly, in fear of his life. I don't think we could've survived that and it might have cost me my husband, permanently. Spike would've driven himself crazy with worry and never stopped looking for him. So no, I can't complain if it all works out and Nigel gets to stay with us forever."

"Good, I was thinking the same thing on the way here." Joyce sighed, happy it looked like things would work out between her daughter and ex-son-in-law.

"Mom, was wondering if you'd stand up with me on Saturday?"

Joyce gave her a questionable expression when she asked, "What's Saturday?"

"My wedding day is what," Buffy answered, her smile lighting up the room.

"Oh, Buffy, I would be honored to stand beside you," Joyce said as she started to cry. "I'm so happy for you."

"Why you crying grandma?" Nigel asked, having entered the kitchen without notice.

"Oh, I'm happy is why," Joyce said as she started crying harder, having heard him call her grandma. "Come here and let me hold you for a minute, young man. Your grandmother needs a big hug."

Nigel's smile reminded her so much of Spike as he crawled up on her lap and wrapped his arms around her neck and squeezed her tight. "I love you, grandma."

"I love you, too, Nigel," Joyce replied, all second thoughts or doubts of Spike's decision were filed as dealt with and forgiven.

"Daddy asked me to ask you to make me a banana cream pie," Nigel told her when he finally snuggled closer in her lap.

"He did, did he?" Joyce said with a laugh. "Well I think I will make two, one for you and one for him."

"What about me?" Buffy teased.

"You can share mine," Spike said from the doorway.

"You would share your banana cream pie with me?" Buffy asked, with a saucy smile on her face.

"Oh, I'm sure you won't mind one bit," Spike said with a knowing wink, causing her to blush.

"Daddy said you tasted better than pie," Nigel innocently repeated what his father had said earlier.

"Even better than my pie?" Joyce asked, her eyebrow raised as she gave him a challenging look.

"Sorry, Joyce, but yeah, even better than your pie," Spike said, looking at his girl.

"Now you see why I gotta keep him." Buffy sighed, as she gave her mother a put upon expression. "I mean, I don't know what he would do without me."

"I live to serve you, milady." Spike's accent reminded them of when they went to see Lady MacBeth.

"I hate to cut this short, but I need to get home and get dinner ready," Joyce regrettably said as she kissed Nigel on the cheek and helped him down. "I also need to stop and pick up the ingredients for a banana cream pie."

"I can see someone is going to spoil the men in my family." Buffy playfully glared at her mother who turned to Spike and asked, "Is there anything else I should make for your son?"

"Hmmm, I don't know, what do you think Nige? What would you like your Nana to make for you?" Spike asked his son.

"I don't know," Nigel said.

"How about I surprise you, then?" Joyce asked as she winked at Spike, who knew they were about to be bombarded with sweet things and other stuff. "We need to fatten up your daddy."

Spike chuckled as he watched his fiancée and her mother embrace, before Joyce came to stand before him. "I'm very happy it all worked out this way." Leaning up and kissing his cheek before telling him, "There's hot chocolate with little marshmallows in the stuff I put in the cabinet I brought for you."

"Thanks, Joyce," Spike said as he leaned over and kissed her cheek.

"When do you have to go back to L.A.?" Joyce asked, wondering how much time with Buffy she'd have to spend. Also, wanting to spend more time with Nigel as well and Spike.

"That's something we still have to talk over," Spike answered, vaguely, wanting to talk his plans over with Buffy first.

"Daddy, can we finish playing Spiderman?" Nigel asked, not realizing the importance of his father's intrigued Buffy.

"You two go play and I'll walk mom out," Buffy said, knowing they had all evening to talk, now was Nigel time.

"See you soon, Joyce," Spike said as he kissed her cheek.

"See you soon, Nana," Nigel imitated his father, as he waited for her to bend so he could also kiss her cheek.

Buffy watched as her two men returned to the living room and resumed their video game. "I'm thinking we might be staying here in Sunnydale."

"I have to say I hope so," Joyce said as she gave her daughter a loving smile. "I would like to be close when the babies are born, and I want to get to know Nigel better, too."

I think you might get your wish," Buffy assured her. "I’ll let you know more about Saturday, when we make more plans."

"You do that. I will let the others know to keep that day open," Joyce offered.

"Thanks mom, for everything," Buffy said, knowing her mother would understand she meant about letting Spike back into her life and accepting Nigel as family.

"Call me later," Joyce told her, feeling that no thanks were necessary.

Buffy walked her mother to the door saying goodbye. She made sure to lock it securely, before joining her men to watch them play their game. Once Dru was dealt with, their life would move on to bigger and better things.

******
Chapter 21 by Kimber
Buffy was startled awake when she heard the doorbell ring. She must have nodded off earlier on the couch, while watching the movie Nemo with Spike and Nigel. The wiggling beside her told her where her snuggles was, bringing a smile to her face. Their napping together was becoming a very nice habit. One she would cherish for as long as she could.

"Who's there?" She heard Spike ask as she tried to shake off her drowsiness.

"Hank."

Hearing her father's voice was enough to shake the haziness of sleep from her mind. She heard the seriousness in her father's voice and knew he was bringing them news about Drusilla. Her only hope was it would be to their advantage.

"Come in. Hank," Spike said as his chest tightened upon seeing the grim look on the older man's face. "I take it you have some news."

"Yes, I do," Hank said, his voice sounding too official for both Spike and Buffy's taste. Then his expression softened when he heard Nigel's voice calling to him. Feeling like he was given something special to protect when a bundle of energy ran to him saying, "Grandpa!"

Buffy couldn't help but feel a little jealous, seeing her father smile as he quickly scooped up the little boy. She remembered a time when he did that to her and Dawn when they were younger. Then something happened and their relationship was no longer so carefree. He left them for his job.

"How's my boy?" Hank asked, as he held his grandson close, savoring this moment, remembering a time when he had done the same with his girls. He looked over at Buffy and grinned saying, "I remember a time when I could do this with you. God, I missed having my girls run and greet me when I came home."

Buffy could see the sincerity in his eyes, knowing time was an enemy as well as a friend. If her father wanted to be more involved in her and her family's life, then who was she to say no. "I remember it too, and hope to see more of you."

"I'm working on that." Hank sighed. "I would love to be more involved, to get to know the woman you've become."

"I would like that very much," Buffy replied, noticing how Nigel was getting restless in her father's arms.

"I really need to talk to Spike right now," Hank said, hating to change the subject, giving Buffy a knowing look at the wiggling little boy in his arms.

"Nigel, let's you and me go and make some tea and get some cookies," Buffy suggested to the young boy, knowing what Hank had to say was something his little ears didn't need to hear.

The word cookies caught the young boy's attention as he excitedly said, "Okay." As he let Hank know he wanted down now.

"I'm sure someone will let me know everything later on," Buffy said, giving both men a determined look while Nigel made his way toward her.

"Word for word, Luv, I promise," Spike told her, feeling grateful she was taking Nigel away so easily.

Spike watched as his son led Buffy toward the kitchen. The sight of them together right now gave him hope that Hank's news would be in their favor. The last thing he needed was to suffer the thought of letting his son go.

"You might want to sit down for this," Hank suggested, sitting down in the one chair in the living room.

"Just get it over with," Spike mumbled, finding he didn't want to sit down. He was feeling too nervous for that.

"Spike, it's not the bad news you think, please have a seat," Hank implored, knowing the man would still have a hard time with the news he was about to impart.

How do you tell a man he's going to have to explain to his son that his mother is dead? Then there's the fact her murderer is roaming around free and they didn't know if the person was looking for Nigel, or even Spike for that matter.

"Just tell me." Spike sighed, wondering why Hank was having a hard time telling him what he had to say.

"We found Drusilla," he said, seeing the worried look on the other man's face deepen.

"Is she arrested?" Spike quickly asked, hoping she had not slipped away.

"No."

"Why the bloody hell not?" Spike growled, glaring at the man who promised to capture her.

"There is no easy way of saying this." Hank leaned back in the chair, looking up to meet him eye to eye. "Dru is dead. Someone killed her in her motel room sometime today."

Spike suddenly found himself speechless as he dropped down onto the couch. Never in a million years did he imagine someone would be telling him that Drusilla was dead. All he could think about was how to tell Nigel, because no matter what she had done, he'd miss his mother.

"Any clues as to who or why?" Spike asked becoming worried his son could somehow be a target for some reason.

"No, but we are working on it. I've taken her into our care, and we will see what we can find," Hank reassured him. "You, Buffy, and Nigel, might have to stay here for a few more days."

"I don't mind that, but I want to make sure this is something that will not come back and hurt my son." Spike's voice oozed with concern and determination to keep his son safe.

"That's why I'm making this our top priority. I will not let any thing happen to my grandson," Hank promised, Spike visibly relaxed before his eyes as he said those words.

It warmed him that the young man trusted him so. He'd never really taken the time to get to know Spike before, and would right that wrong after today. It finally dawned on him that not only had he gained a grandson, but also a son.

The task of telling Nigel his mother had died weighed heavy on Spike's mind as he covered his face with his hands and mumbled, "How do I tell a little boy he will never see his mother again?"

"By telling him a small white lie, is how," Hank offered. "Tell him his mother went to live with the angel's. I'm sure God would understand your motive."

Spike chuckled as he said, "Funny, since she never believed in God."

"Do you?" Hank asked.

"I do believe in a higher power," Spike replied, as he turned his eyes toward the window. "I think I’ll talk it over with Buffy and see what she thinks."

" I think that is a great plan."

"Can we come out now?" Buffy asked from the doorway. "Or is it still adults only allowed to enter."

"Rating is PG 4 now, Luv," Spike answered, waiting for his family to rejoin him.

"Nigel, care to show me your room?" Hank suggested, thinking he'd keep the boy occupied while Spike and Buffy talked about Dru.

"Okay," Nigel said as he walked over and took Hank's hand leading the way. "Then we can have cookies."

"Yes, then we can have cookies." Hank replied, his voice very amused at the simplicity of children.

Buffy knew her father was giving her and Spike time alone to talk about what just happened. While in the kitchen all she could think about was having the system fail them. Causing them to lose this precious little boy who she loved as if he was her own.

"Dru is dead," Spike simply said, feeling guilty that a part of him was glad she was gone from this world.

"Oh, my!" Buffy gasped, as she moved to hug him. "I can't say I'm sorry, but I do feel awful about how this will affect Nigel."

"That’s the only thing about her death that worries me," Spike confessed as he held her close. "Am I a bad person for feeling relieved she's somewhere she can't hurt Nigel or us again?"

"I think I'm the wrong person to ask that, for I can't say it's a bad thing," Buffy replied, finding it hard to feel sad concerning the other woman's dying. "How did it happen?"

Spike pulled her closer as he repeated what Hank had told him. He knew the moment her concern turned toward Nigel. Her body tensed as she leaned back to ask, "Do you think whoever killed her might be looking for our boy?"

"I don't know," Spike said with a touch of uncertainty to his voice. "I can only pray they were only after her."

"Maybe she killed herself," Buffy suggested, praying the evidence did point to the fact the crazy woman had taken her own life.

"Dru would never kill herself. Never in a million years." Spike's voice held such conviction she knew he was telling the truth. The thought of suicide as cause of death never entered his brain.

Buffy reached up and lay her hand against his face. "What does my dad say?"

Spike leaned into her touch as he replied, "He's taking over the investigation into her death and will do everything in his power to make sure Nigel is safe." Confirming that her father didn't believe the woman had killed herself either.

"He won't let anything happen to snuggles," Buffy said as she gave him a reassuring smile before adding, "I think we might be seeing much more of my dad now that he has Nigel to spoil."

Spike chuckled, "Yeah, did you see his face light up when he called him Grandpa?"

"Yep, it lit up like a Christmas tree." Buffy giggled. "I was wondering, who will you have stand up for you at the wedding?"

"I hadn't really thought about anyone, really," he replied. "Why?"

Buffy's smile grew larger as she suggested. "I was wondering if we should include Nigel as your best man."

"I was thinking of asking your Dad, since he believed in me enough to help me get you back," Spike added, wanting to include Hank as well.

"Hmmm, I think maybe I will have him give me away and then stand up with you and Nigel, while we take our vows," Buffy suggested, knowing her father and husband-to-be would have a closer relationship after all was said and done.

Spike sought out her eyes, as he asked, "How do I tell him his mother's dead?"

Buffy put on her resolve face. "We, do this together, telling him as much of the truth for now that he can handle. Keep it simple and just tell him his mother has gone to sleep with the angels. The rest we can deal with as he gets older and needs to know more."

He leaned down to softly kiss her lips as he whispered, "Like father, like daughter. Hank mentioned the angels too."

"Do you think it's over? Is there a chance whoever did this will come after Nigel or you?" Buffy asked, feeling worried she could still lose them both.

"My gut tells me no."

"Then, let's move on with our lives. We can wait and tell Nigel after the wedding or now," Buffy suggested. "To be honest I'd rather wait until after the wedding- let's give him and us a happy day to start our lives together."

"I knew I fell in love with you for your brains and your body," Spike teased, hoping to lighten the mood before going back to Nigel.

"And here I thought it was because I played hard to get."

"No, baby, I enjoyed the hunt," he said as he waggled his eyebrows as his intense gaze made her feel warm all over her body.

"My mighty hunter, let's go and get our son and make sure he has not gotten my father in any trouble," Buffy said as she took his hand and led him toward Nigel's room.

*******

Warren kept staring at the one preliminary report that included a statement from one of receptionist's. Something important was there, but he had a hard time processing what it was.

"I know it's there, just waiting to jump out and bite me, I just know it," he mumbled as he shoved it away, thinking if he gave it a rest, it would come to him.

He began reading more about what they'd been able to dig up on the mysterious bitch from hell when it hit him. Pulling up the list of motel hotel's employees, he called the number hoping the person would be at home and close to a fax. If his suspicions were correct, he'd found Drusilla's killer.

*******
Chapter 22 by Kimber
Author's Notes:
I wish to thank everyone....reviewers, readers....you guys rock.....really. If not for all of you I'd still just be writing for fun and keeping them all to myself......
Giles sat watching as Nigel fidgeted about beside his father. The patience Spike was showing his son, proved to him what a wonderful father he was. He understood how Hank fit into this day so perfectly. For if the man had not intervened, then his pseudo daughter would not be having this happy ending. Nigel would not be a major part in their lives, and Spike would still be seen as the enemy.

Never had he felt so happy for Buffy as he did right now. This time around he was the spectator, and that was just fine. He knew that by Buffy having Hank give her away this time it was meant to be. The memories he had of escorting her down the aisle the first time still warmed his heart, and could never be replaced.

Squeezing Joyce's hand he turned to her and smiled, "Today could not be anymore perfect."

"I agree." She said as she leaned her head on his shoulder. "Isn't Nigel just the cutest thing?"

"Yes."

"Spike is so good for him." She sighed, as she watched her future son-in-law kneel down beside the young boy and soothe his nerves.

Joyce took a moment to look over at Dawn and Lorne who was whispering about like little children. One day she would be doing the same for her youngest daughter. She just hoped Dawn found someone that would love her the same as Giles loved her, Spike loved Buffy, and Xander loved his Willow.

Last night had been a wonderful night of surprises. The Harris' came out and told them they were going to be parents. Joyce looked at the newly parents to be and smiled. In her heart she knew things where not going to be the same, but only better. They came together and weathered the storm. In the end they came out the winners, they have a warm and adorable little boy to smother with loving attention.

Spike stood on the exact spot where he had first asked Buffy to marry him the first time. Their favorite area on the beach, where they would come on the weekends to just relax and be together. The place Buffy first told him she loved him.

Looking down at his son, he noticed Nigel looking nervous with all the people standing around watching them. Both had dressed casual in khaki pants, plain white shirts, and were barefooted. Buffy had wanted something simple and reflecting being by the ocean.

"Nige, what's wrong?" Spike asked as he ran his fingers through his son's curls, offering his support and comfort.

"Do they have to look at us?" he asked quietly of his father.

Spike crouched down so the boy could see him easier. "They're just happy for us is all. Soon they will be watching your mom and me get married. Then we will be a family. They're here to wish us luck and celebrate with us."

"Do you have to go without me?" Nigel looked up at his father in near tears.

"Only for tonight, just like we talked about. Then tomorrow you will be with us. I'm never going to lose you Nigel," Spike reassured his son, wondering if it would have been wiser telling him about Dru before today.

"I want to stay with you." Nigel pouted as Spike realized his son looked tired and scared.

"How about we talk about it after the wedding, okay?"

Nigel's eyes lit up and nodded his head as he reached up to hug his father. Laying his head on his father's shoulder as Spike picked him up to help calm him.

Buffy watched as Spike picked up their son, knowing instinctively what their boy was feeling. She had noticed how he'd started to withdraw throughout the day. They had not shared an afternoon nap together that had become their habit. Spike would watch TV or read, and she and Nigel would snuggle and doze for a couple hours.

"I don't think someone is happy right now," Hank said, wondering if the young man was going to stay with Joyce after all.

"We might have to put off the mini-honeymoon for now," Buffy said with a smile, knowing she wouldn't be able to leave him after all.

"We could see if he would stay with me?" Hank offered, as he held out his arm for his daughter to take.

"Love the offer, but I think my little man needs me and his father. He's still afraid of Dru, and losing his father again," Buffy said, knowing Nigel needed to become secure in the knowledge he was theirs now. "Once we tell him about Dru, and he knows she can't come and take him from us it will get better."

"Have I told you how proud I am of you?" Hank asked, as he started to escort her to her newly formed family.

"Not today." Buffy giggled, never taking her eyes off her men, who stood now watching her approach with big smiles on their faces.

"You do, Princess, you make me so proud to be your father," Hank told her as he leaned down to kiss the top of her head.. "Today I also gain a son, who I'm more than happy to welcome to the family."

Buffy's smile grew as she agreed, "Yes, and I will let you in on a secret, he's more than happy to be gaining a father."

Hank's chest puffed up hearing those words. Soon he was going to hand off his oldest daughter to a man he'd come to respect and love as if he was his own. Then he'd stand witness beside the man he'd come to love like a son as he took his vows. Never to this day did he ever think something like this would happen to him. He wondered if Dawn would allow him the same privilege one day.

Spike stood in awe as he watched his lover, best friend, and life mate, walk toward him. She was a vision with her beige sundress, flowing around her. The evidence of her carrying life inside her that they created together almost brought him to his knees. Pending motherhood radiated from her being, giving her a glow that warmed his heart. Giving him cause to thank whoever was in charge upstairs allowing him back into her life.


*******

Warren stood in the back watching his boss give his daughter away. He still couldn't believe he let the man talk him into coming to work for him, giving up the excitement of government work. But then again, he was still able to take on consultant work, and would have time to finish the textbook on criminal investigating he'd been trying to finish.

The most famous case for him to add to his book would be how he was able to link one Preacher to the death of his three wives. It still boggled his mind how he'd picked up on that so quickly. Once he figured out what was bothering him about the clerks report, it all just flowed so easily. He was able to fax a copy of Caleb's picture over and the clerk immediately recognized him as the man who'd checked in right before Dru had been killed. Then the rest had been easy once he followed his gut and checked on his previous two ex-wives.

"Yep, I'm going to like making this a place you can raise your kids and just be safe," he thought as he continued to watch the wedding.

*******

Hank chuckled under his breath as he came to stand before Spike, seeing how besotted the young man was over his daughter. He held out his arms for Nigel to come to him. "Come keep Grandpa company while we watch together."

Nigel reached out and let his grandfather take him from his father, feeling safe with the older man. Buffy noticed how much Nigel trusted her father and a plan formulated in her mind. Thinking of how she and Spike just might get their wedding night to themselves for a short period after all.

Everyone stood witness to a wedding of not just of this man and this woman, but of a man, woman, and child. Once the vows were said, not only did the man kiss his bride, but also a son was able to kiss his new mother.

*******

EPILOGUE


THREE YEARS LATER

Buffy stood before her husband's place of business and couldn't help but remember the first time he'd brought her here. Seeing his boyish delight written all over his face, as he shared his plans. Watching the resolve on his face as he turned to ask her if this was something they'd be able to do together.

Now three years later his hopes and dreams for this place had become a reality. Inside was the man she'd vowed to love, honor, and support, until death do they part, three years ago. Since then, the twins had been born, Nigel grew into a well-developed young boy, and their relationship had flourished.

The first year had been rough with the money and time needed to get his business up and running. Looking back, she realized it had been a great year, for they really came together as a family. The support of friends and family made their lives wealthy in ways money never could.

"Gonna stand there all day?"

Buffy turned to smile at Xander as she replied, "I was just having a moment of peaceful reflection."

Xander chuckled as he nudged against her, "I know what you mean."

"Are you here to pick up Rose?"

"Yep, going to get my daughter and then go home and start dinner." Xander explained, loving the fact they didn't need strangers taking care of his and Willow's daughter.

"I'm here to pick up the twins." Buffy said, with a smile.

"How was work today?" Xander asked as the entered the building.

"It was sad, really and yet happy. The last day of school before summer break is sad for me. My kids leave for junior high, it's hard to say goodbye, ya know?" Buffy sighed, as she breathed in the mixed aroma of old and new books all in their place, bringing a smile to her face. "But, then I have close to three months of being just a mom and wife."

Xander looked down at the petite blonde, giving her a wink, "So, you and Spike coming over for dinner tomorrow?"

"Like clock work." She replied, as she looked around to see if her husband was around.

"I bet he's downstairs with the kids." Xander suggested, knowing his friend enjoyed spending as much time with the twins that he could.

Just when she was about to agree her man walked through the door that led to the daycare that was located downstairs. The look on his face when he saw her gave her goose bumps.

Xander knew when he wasn't needed as he said, "Well, I'm going down to check out the kiddies."

"Talk at you tomorrow, Xander." Buffy said, without taking her eyes off her husband.

"Take care, mate." Spike said in greeting as his friend walked past him to go downstairs.

"Dinner tomorrow night, don't forget you're grilling." Xander reminded him right before he closed the door, never expecting an answer.

"Hey, handsome, what's happening?" Buffy asked as she slowly advanced toward her husband.

"Hmmm, wondering if you have time for a quickie in the office."

"Oh, I like quickies." She giggled, "How are our girls?"

Spike met her half way, pulling her close as he breathed in her scent. "Our girls are doing great, taking a wee nap at the moment."

"Oh, naps are good." She moaned as she wrapped her arms around his neck pulling his face closer to hers.

"How's our son?" He asked, his voice raspy, wanting her so bad.

"Over at Jimmy's. He's going to the movies with Jimmy and his parents." She answered as she gently played with the hair at the back of his neck.

"God, Buffy you make me want you so bad." He cooed as he leaned down to nuzzle her neck.

"Same here, baby." She sighed, tilting her head to give his lips better access.

"Your dad is going to be here in an hour to go over his book." Spike explained as he started to steer her toward his office with his body.

"Oh, then we have time for more then a quickie." She giggled, thinking of how he was going to take the news she needed to share with him.

Spike's laugh rang through the bookstore as he picked up his wife, carrying her into his office. She was everything to him and every time he had the chance, he let her know. When she was forty, fifty, or a hundred years old he would never get tired of showing her how much he loved her.

Downstairs their daughters, Anne Nicole, named after his mother, and Lauren Joy, named after Lorne and Joyce, lay sleeping. When he'd asked Willow about running the daycare, she'd jumped at the chance. It all worked out perfect; he sold books, worked at editing for others on the side, and had access to his daughters whenever he wanted to see them.

Once he had her in his office and against his desk, he whispered, "I love you, baby." Slipping his hands under her skirt and relieving her of her panties, while Buffy brought her hands to the front of his pants and started to unfasten them saying, "I know."

They fit together as if they were a matching set, knowing exactly what the other needed. Soft moans and whispers were heard about the room as they danced, their special dance. Making music that only they could make. All to soon it was over, leaving them both content and yet craving more. Never would it be enough, or grow too stale to enjoy.

"I love you." Buffy whispered in his ear, now fully dressed again, snuggling on his lap.

"I know, baby." He replied as his hand gently stroked her back as he held her close.

"I have a surprise for you." She said as she leaned back to watch his reaction to her news.

"Do you now? You know I love surprises." He looked up at her with a boyish grin on his face.

"You're going to like this one best of all." She teased, as her finger traced his lips.

"Then you best tell me." He urged.

"Any preferences?" She asked coyly, as she watched his eyes.

"Preferences for what, Kitten?" He asked, confused at her question.

"Boy or girl?" She asked, watching as her meaning finally hit him.

"A baby, you're going to have baby?" He asked, as his eyes grew big and his hand moved to cup her lower abdomen.

"Yeah!" She said, feeling all teary eyed, seeing his tears start to fall.

"From the beginning, I'm here, this time, to witness it all." With his face buried in her chest as he cried, his voice was barely audible.

Buffy held him tight against her, letting him cry. She knew he'd be emotional about this, for he'd never forgiven himself for not being there during most of her pregnancy with the twins.

He leaned back, as he gazed up at her with a look of happiness and awe, "I will be here to see it all. Watch the life we created grow inside you, pamper you, and tell you how beautiful you are every day."

"I'm just glad I will have you here to go and get my pizza with pineapples and anchovies." She teased, finding it hard not to laugh at the face he made.

"I don't have to watch you eat it, will I?" He asked, with some trepidation, not sure he'd be able to do that without losing his lunch and dinner.

"No, I wouldn't make you do that." She assured him, feeling loved and cared for as his hand rubbed her tummy lovingly.

Spike shifted around so he could set her on his desk. Making him eye level with her presently flat, abdomen. Leaning forward he said, "All I ask for is 10 fingers, 10 toes, and cute little nose, with a perfect little lips. Be you a boy or a girl you will be welcomed and loved as your brother and sisters before you.

"Talking about sisters, should we go and check on the little imps." Buffy said, feeling the need to see her daughters.

"Yeah, let's go." He agreed as he stood up and helped her off the desk pulling her flush against him gazing at her with all the love he had pouring from his eyes. "You and our kids are my world."

"Ditto, honey." She replied as her hand cupped his cheek. "Feel like closing shop and going with me to my mom's to tell her and Giles, after we tell Dad."

"Great plan." He replied as he leaned into her touch.

"Come on you big softy." She encouraged as she took his hand to lead him out of office.

"Hey, I'm still the big bad, just with a little more feeling now." He pretended to be affronted at her calling him a softy.

"To everyone else you can be, for me you are one big fluffy puppy." She teased him, her heart racing as he growled, "Later on I'll show you fluffy puppy."

"Oh, I'm counting on that mister." She turned to say, stopping and plastering herself up against him. "If you don't know this, then take notes. You and the kids are my world, and I will never let you forget it."

"I won't forget, Kitten." He purred as he leaned down, gently kissing her lips, "Now, let's go see if our imps are awake. If so we can make them presentable for public viewing."

"Spike, what have they done?" She asked, suspicious of his comment.

"Well, Kitten, they think themselves artists." He tried to explain, "The only problem is they have to learn they are not the canvas."

"Oh, they were doing each other's portraits again." Buffy giggled, "I swear if I had not given birth to them I would think they belonged to my mother."

Spike tried but couldn't help himself when he replied, "Well, they do say it skips a generation."

"Are you implying I have no talents?" She asked, giving him a playful glare.

"No, baby, you have talents too. Just not the artistic kind like your Mum, is all." He said with a wink and a pat on her behind. "Yours lie in working with the kiddies."

"Good save there, bucko." She said feeling a warm feeling at seeing her girls playing with their toys.

"Beautiful, just like their Mum." He whispered, "I was wrong love, when it comes to making beautiful children, no talent can compare."

"I can't take all the credit. I had some help you know." She said as she watched her two little miracles play.

Annie had her father's eyes, deep blue and her natural dark brown hair. Lauren, had her green eyes, she her father's natural light brown hair, and just as curly. Soon they would turn three years old, just one year younger then Nigel was when they were born.

"Wait until we tell Nigel. His wish for a baby brother just might come true." Spike chuckled, "good thing we already got the where babies come from and how their born taken care of. The girls are too young to ask."

"So you say. I bet one of them ask the question, 'where do babies come from?'" Buffy snorted.

"You get the girls together, I'll go see if your dad's arrived."

"Okay, meet you upstairs in a few." She agreed, wondering if she should tell Willow the good news.

As if reading her mind he bent down to whisper in her ear, "We'll them together at dinner tomorrow."

"I really do wish you'd stop doing that." She huffed, hating it when he knew what she was thinking.

"Wish the same when you do it to me." He replied, giving her a wink as he turned to go back upstairs.

She turned her attention back to getting the girls ready to leave. Both girls were happy to see their mommy, jumping up and wanting kisses and hugs. After getting everything together she waved over at Willow, who was reading a story to a few of the other children before she left with her daughters.

Reflecting on how everything had worked out for the best, she couldn't wait to join her husband and tell everyone the great news. There was going to be one more Bledsoe added to the mix. One day she would have to sit down and write down their story so they would know just how much their Daddy loved them.

Thinking to herself a great title being, "Babies Daddy."

The End.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=10653