The Nature Of Slayers by Kyra Storm
Summary: Post The Girl In Question. Angel is being hunted by the most deadly adversary he has ever faced. It is relentless, vicious and its out to settle a personal score. Even with all the resources of Wolfram and Hart and the help of the Scoobies can Angel defeat it ? Can Wesley come to some sort of terms with Illyria? And what will happen when Buffy and Spike come face to face again?
Categories: General NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action, Angst
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 51452 Read: 13548 Published: 05/05/2005 Updated: 10/21/2005

1. Attacked by Kyra Storm

2. Enter The Cavalry by Kyra Storm

3. The Demon by Kyra Storm

4. Chasing Answers by Kyra Storm

5. Worthy by Kyra Storm

6. Clean Up by Kyra Storm

7. Figuring Things Out by Kyra Storm

8. House Of Cards by Kyra Storm

9. Plans Of Attack by Kyra Storm

10. Heart Of The Matter by Kyra Storm

11. Control by Kyra Storm

12. Oops by Kyra Storm

13. The Trouble WIth Angel by Kyra Storm

14. Little Chaos to Spice Up Life by Kyra Storm

15. A Father's Wrath by Kyra Storm

16. The Pyramid by Kyra Storm

17. Good Vs. Evil by Kyra Storm

Attacked by Kyra Storm
Disclaimer: I don’t even own myself, much less these characters.

Chapter 1: Attacked

Even though many of their clients were nocturnal, the offices of Wolfram and Hart were quiet at this time of night. Illyria stood frozen in the lobby of the offices on the top floor. She studied the marble floor below her trying to studying all of the molecules that made up the marble below her.

Not far away in his office Wesley slept on the Forgotten Scrolls and other rare texts he had found, trying to gather as much information as he could on the Old Ones. His eyes had been tired and had closed of their own volition pulling him into sleep. However, even this rest forced on his body was not peaceful as images of Fred haunted his dreams.

Illyria was aware the moment Wesley succumbed to sleep. Even though he claimed to understand that there was no more Fred, he just continued to research hoping deep inside there was a way to get her back.

Illyria knew this.

Illyria also knew that if he didn’t stop pushing himself and start resting regularly and ingesting sustenance he was going to make himself sick.

What Illyria couldn’t understand was the emotion that rose up inside of her at the thought of Wesley sick.

Firmly pushing down the emotion the she knew did not belong to her, Illyria noticed something. There was something very primal and powerful within these walls tonight. It seemed very familiar to her, but at the same time it was completely unknown.

And it was moving closer.

Deciding that Wesley should be made aware of this, Illyria turned and headed to his office.

As she had known he was asleep with his head in an old book he had purchased from an auction he attended the day before. It was written several thousand years ago and was supposed to have more information on the Old Ones. Illyria had looked through it and found most of the information incorrect. Almost to the point of amusement.

Amusement. She was familiar with this emotion, but before she was housed in this shell it only occurred when she was involved in torture or warfare.

“Wesley.” She did not speak loudly, but the sound of her voice woke him immediately. He bolted upright and Illyria could see Fred’s name form on his lips, but he swallowed it quickly when he looked up to see Illyria standing in front of him.

Illyria wondered if she appeared to him as Fred just as he was waking up if she could have the opportunity to explore the ‘love’ that ran between the two. She cast that thought aside knowing how much that would anger him.

“Illyria.” Wesley addressed her. His eyes were still bleary from the small amount of rest, and his voice was rough.

“I do not believe your saliva is good for those ancient texts.” She stated.

Wesley looked down to see the text on the page he had fallen asleep on was now smeared in a puddle of drool. Wesley wiped at his face where the smudge was, but only succeeded in spreading the black ink.

“Yes, well, its not like there’s any information in these, anyway.” Wesley muttered.

Illyria cocked her head to the side as she tried to decipher all the meanings his words and tone implied.

How the humans complicated even the most simple things, even communication. Words couldn’t be taken at face value with these beings; one also had to interpret tone, stance, and numerous other factors.

“Illyria, did you come here for a reason?” Wesley asked tiredly, interrupting her thoughts. She would have had him tortured for that at one time. However, his impertinence did not anger her as it should have.

“There is something within this building.” She informed him.

“There is always something within this building, Illyria.”

“No. There is something very powerful and dangerous within these walls. And its here to hunt.”



In the suite above his office Angel slept, Nina curled up next to him, as she had every night since his return from Italy.

Afterwards Angel couldn’t accurately describe what had awakened him. But some instinct had him waking and rolling off the side of the bed just as a wooden stake hit the center of the mattress. As he hit the floor he kicked his legs out behind him before turning, hoping to knock his attacker down. Unfortunately, the attacker was one step ahead of him jumping over his legs and onto the bed. Angel was in vamp face, his golden eyes trying to make out the threat in the darkness, but all he could make out was a black shape with no details.

The movement on the bed woke Nina. She called out for him and Angel could hear her fumbling for the light next to the bed. Then there was a loud smack and a loud crash against the far wall as Nina went flying, then she lay silent.

Angel growled and leapt up at the dark figure, noticing for the first time that the attacker smelled vaguely familiar.

The figure didn’t even let Angel reach him, just batted him back down to the floor easily and jumped on top of him. He wrestled Angel to the floor, pulled another stake out and promptly drove it down towards his chest.

Just before the stake pierced his heart, his attacker toppled off of him as Nina hit him on the back of his head with the lamp.

“Angel, are you…?”

She didn’t even have time to finish her sentence before the attacker was back up and pummeling her. Angel jumped to his feet to pull him off of Nina.

Before he could reach them Nina was crying out in pain and Angel could hear bones within her body breaking and smell the blood she shed as she was beaten down.

Angel pulled the attacker off of her and threw him across the room, putting himself between the two.

Cursing the lack of light preventing him from seeing more clearly, Angel again tried to make out the person or thing standing before him. All he could see was a dark human shape.

As the two faced off, sizing each other up, Angel growled menacingly and was slightly surprised when his attacker growled back.

Suddenly, there was noise as people approached, a lot of them. Angel knew they could both hear the reinforcements coming and allowed himself a small grin. He knew there was no way out for this creature.

Suddenly, moving like a blur, the shadow figure ran straight at the wall of windows and jumped through them; just as the door to his bedroom flew open and the lights came blaring on.
Angel turned and dropped to Nina’s side, instantly.

Wes, Illyria and several of the security team came rushing in.

Tears formed in Angel’s eyes at the sight of his girlfriend beaten, bloody and unconscious on the ground.

“My god.” Wesley breathed. “What happened here, Angel?” Behind him the security team was calling up the firm’s paramedic team.

“We were attacked.” Angel’s voice was tight and angry. He turned his head to glare at the security team. “Does someone want to tell me how we were attacked? How did they get all the way up here and INTO MY BEDROOM?!?”

The security team just looked baffled as the paramedics arrived with a gurney and started seeing to Nina.

“Where did they go?” Wesley asked looking around.

“I believe down.” It was Illyria who answered standing by the broken window. Wesley and Angel moved to the window and looked down hoping to see some sign of the attacker. “Its gone now, its power got fainter until it disappeared.”

“It will be back.” Angel said grimly. “That thing was after me.” The paramedics had Nina on the gurney and were taking her to their medical wing. “Get everyone together, Wes. I want to be ready before that thing attacks again.” He walked over to Nina and took her hand tenderly. “I want to make it pay for this.” He finished coldly.
Enter The Cavalry by Kyra Storm
The next morning Angel and his team gathered in his office to try and figure out what kind of demon attacked last night.

“The security cameras didn’t pick up anything but an inky black shape. No one even noticed it until we went back an looked at them at half speed.”

“Let’s hear for Wolfram and Hart’s wonderful technology.” Angel snapped sarcastically.

“I believe you also couldn’t make out any details, even with your vampiric senses.” Wesley commented.

“It kind of smelled familiar.” Angel muttered grudgingly.

He stood up and began to pace. “What kind of creature is capable of camouflaging itself like that?” He wondered.

“I don’t know boss man, but I can tell you that it has been extremely busy. Reports are coming in from across the country about a creature that fits this description attacking and destroying every demon and vamp that got in its way between here and New York. If you look at the reports you can see it started in New York about a week ago and cut a bloody path right to our door.” Lorne informed him.

“I have our people in Europe investigating any similar reports over there. Maybe if we can figure out where it came from, that might give us some clues as to what it is.” Gunn added.

“Sounds good.” Angel agreed. “Lorne get on the streets, see if any of the demons have any more information for us.”

“No can do.” Lorne said.

“The city is completely dead of demon activity right now.” Gunn informed him. “No one wants to be out with this creature on the loose.”

“So no one knows what it is, but they’re all hiding from it?” Angel asked incredulously.

“Hiding isn’t the word. More like barricading themselves inside or hightailing it out of town.” Lorne said.

Angel sighed and turned to Wesley. “Wes, is there anything in any of the books? A description that fits? A prophecy that talks about a demon that slays other demons?”

“There are plenty of references to demon bounty hunters, but none of them would have the strength, agility, or the camouflage capabilities our new friend had.”

“So we have nothing.” Angel said angrily. “That’s not good enough, guys. I want to find this thing and I want to take it down.”

Illyria had been staring out the window blankly for all appearances oblivious of the conversation going on around her, but now she turned to the team.

“I may be able to seek it out.” She told them. “I was able to sense it last night when no one else could.”

“That is correct.” Wesley agreed. “If it weren’t for Illyria we wouldn’t have arrived in time to help you.”

“Can you tell us anything about it? Do you know what it was?” Angel asked her.

Illyria shook her head.

“No. Although its signature was similar to that of a half-breed, like yourself.” She said ‘half-breed’ with disgust. “However, I have never encountered, nor heard of a half-breed with that type of power.”

“Is it more powerful than you?” Wesley asked her. Illyria thought she heard the faintest mocking in his tone, but she chose to ignore it.

“I do not know, I did not come close enough to accurately gauge its powers and the hatred and anger it was directing towards Angel distorted my reading of it.”

“So its definitely after you.” Gunn said thoughtfully. “Maybe we should get a list together of everyone who hates you.”

“Gee, that shouldn’t take long.” Angel groused.

“What about Lindsey or Eve? One of them might be able to fill in some of the blanks on this one.” Lorne asked.

“Its worth a shot, although we’ve had them under surveillance since they arrived here and neither one has left the rooms we put them in.” Gunn said.

“Yeah, but we can’t underestimate Lindsey. He’s been planning to take me down for a long time. We don’t know how many more tricks are up his sleeve.” Angel countered.

“Ok, I’ll check on the two love birds. Who else? What other enemies do you have Angel? Who else would want you dead?” Lorne asked.

Just then the door burst open and Spike’s voice greeted everyone. “Good morning all.” He threw himself in chair and looked at everyone gathered around.

“I take we’re all investigating the attack on the Poofy last night.”

Angel glared at him. “Out Spike!! We don’t need your help with this.”

”Really? Who better to track down your would-be murderer than someone who would like to see you dead?” Spike asked him.

“This isn’t a laughing matter, Spike. That thing almost killed Nina last night. As it is she’s in a coma.” The pain and guilt on Angel’s face almost made Spike ease up on him.

Almost.

“Is there anyone you’ve slept with in the last 100 years who hasn’t wound up dead or mortally wounded because of you?” Spike asked snidely.

“That’s it.” Angel lunged for Spike. Lorne quickly leapt out of the way, while Wesley and Gunn tried to hold Angel back and Illyria looked on with mild interest.

Just then Harmony’s voice came through on the intercom. “Boss, uh…”

“Harmony,” Angel yelled trying to get around Gunn and Wesley to Spike. “I told you we weren’t to be disturbed.”

“You can’t just go…OUCH!! Let go of me!!!” Harmony’s pain filled voice came across the electronic box. Angel stopped his pursuit of Spike as they all turned and faced the door that slammed inward.

In walked Willow, Giles, Xander, and several Slayers, one of who, was holding a stake to Harmony’s chest. Angel and his team backed up warily. Angel and Spike eyed up the Slayers, none of whom Spike recognized.

For a few long moments no one spoke as the two teams eyed each other mistrustfully from across the room.

Finally Giles cleared his throat and began to speak. “Forgive the intrusion, but we needed to see you right away and we weren’t about to make an appointment with Harmony.”

Behind him Harmony made some frightened squeaking noises, but no one paid her any mind.

“What do you want Giles?” Angel’s voice was as hard as nails as he remembered the way the Watcher refused to help them when Fred was in trouble.

“Why, we’re here to help you.” Giles told him succinctly.

Illyria began moving closer to the other group her eyes fixed intently on Willow who watched her curiously.

Angel laughed grimly. “Help me? Really. What makes you think I need or want your help?”

“You are in great danger. There is something that is hunting you more unlike anything you have faced before and it won’t stop until it destroys you.”

“What do you know about it?” Gunn asked.

Illyria had now come to stand in front of Willow staring the small red haired girl down. “You have great power.”

“Fred?” Willow’s voice came out timid and nervous. The woman in front of her looked like Fred, but Willow could see none of her friend in the ice blue eyes that studied her.

“Fred is gone.” Wesley said, his voice sounded empty. “This is Illyria, she is one of the Old Ones, a Demon ruler from days gone by. She killed Fred an then inhabited her body.”

Willow’s eyes widened. “Goddess. When did this happen?”

“Oh, about the time you were astral projecting around the Himalayas, Red.” Spike snapped, also angry at the refusal of the Scoobies to help his friend.

Willow looked at Giles confused. “What?”

“Angel called a few months ago wanting me to contact you because one of his people was in trouble. I didn’t bother to get all the details, you were unreachable and I wasn’t certain it was a good idea to get involved in their mess.”

Willow looked at Wesley desperately. “I didn’t know. If I had I would have helped.” She looked at Illyria upset. “Fred was my friend.”

“Why do you associate with these lower beings when you could rule them?” Illyria asked Willow.

“Oh, how lovely.” Giles remarked.

“Illyria is still adjusting to our ways.” Wesley informed Giles, who just snorted.

Willow blinked at Illyria. “Um, I’m not big on the whole ruling the world thing.”

“Although, she did try to end it once.” Xander remarked.

Illyria came to stand before Xander. “And who are you?”

“I’m Xander Harris. Full blooded human, I’m afraid.” He stuck his hand out to Illyria, but withdrew it when she just looked at him blankly. He then looked up and addressed the group.

“Wes, your looking much less high strung. Although you look like you could use some sleep. Angel, you look more high strung. And Spike I can’t believe I’m looking at you. What does it take to kill you?”

Spike snorted. The Whelp would never change. “You don’t seem too shocked, Harris. I’m assuming Andrew squealed as soon as he got back.”

“Actually I was aware of your return before I sent Andrew over.” Giles said cryptically, he looked at Angel. “You aren’t the only one with informants.” He told him.

Spike was wondering if Buffy knew that he was back. He also wondered where she was. Was she here in the country? In the city? Spike wanted more than anything to ask, but couldn’t bring himself to do it. He didn’t think they would tell him anything anyway.

Then again Rupert neglected to tell Red about what happened with Fred, so maybe Buffy didn’t know anything. And given the Watcher’s hatred of him and his Grandsire, he probably wouldn’t tell Buffy about the threat to her former love, which meant she was probably still cozied up in Italy with the Immortal. The thought made Spike’s stomach start to turn.

Apparently Angel’s mind was on the same track his was.

“Buffy didn’t come with you?” Angel asked the Watcher, trying to sound unconcerned with the answer.

Spike noticed both Willow and Xander suddenly found something of great interest on the floor because both of their gazes were locked on the ground in front of them.

“She’s tied up elsewhere.” Giles said. Spike also noticed the increase of Willow’s heart rate, something that he knew happened when she lied.

“Look, Giles I don’t know what suddenly made you decide to get involved with our ‘mess’ here, but barging in my office with a group of Slayers doesn’t make me think you have my best interest at heart.” Angel told him.

“You misunderstand Angel. Slayers are the only thing this creature fears. It will not attack when there are Slayers around.”

“Why is that?” Wesley asked. “Exactly what are we dealing with?”

“Its actually a new type of demon, it appears to have evolved from a common type of demon.”

“How do you know so much about it?” Gunn asked suspiciously.

“Because this is the second one. We managed to capture the first one, but so far we haven’t been able to study it.”

“You should bring it here. Wolfram and Hart has state of the art technology we should be able to analyze it fairly quickly and find a way to defeat it.” Wesley told his former colleague.

”It’s much too dangerous to try and move. Also I’m not comfortable with bringing here it to Wolfram and Hart.”

“How did you know it was coming for me?” Angel asked.

“One of the seers in the coven alerted us to its destination.” Willow answered quickly.

”So what exactly is your plan?” Wesley inquired of Giles.

“We thought we could lure the creature out and use the girls to capture it.”

“You mean use me as bait and then come in and take the creature away, just like you did with Dana.”

Giles and Angel stared each other down. “And how responsible would it be of me to leave it here in your care? Do you have any idea what could happen if Wolfram and Hart had access to such a dangerous being?”

Angel didn’t answer for a few minutes, he seemed to be lost in thought.

”Giles could you give us a few minutes to talk this over?” He asked him, more politely than he felt.

“Certainly. Is it alright if we wait in your lobby?”

“That’s fine. And if you could get your Slayer to release Harmony, I need her to check on something for me.”

“Very well.” Giles motioned to the Slayer who pushed Harmony away from her. The vampiress fell on the floor with the momentum from the push.

“This was a new outfit.” She whined as she stood up and looked over her now torn skirt and blouse. Giles just rolled his eyes and began ushering everyone out of the room.

After the Scoobies had left, Gunn got up and flipped a switch. “Ok, there is no way the witch can eavesdrop on us with magic.”

“So what does everyone think?” Angel asked.

“Please. The Council tried to create a new breed of Slayer and something went wrong. Now they need our help to clean up their mess.” Spike spoke first.

“That does sound likely.” Wesley agreed.

“That’s what it sounded like to me, too.” Angel said.

“So what do we do?” Gunn asked.

“We go along with their idea for now, but when the time comes we need to be prepared and have our own back up as well. I’m not letting them just take this creature, the way they did Dana.”

“Sounds good to me.” Gunn said.

“One other thing.” Spike said. Angel looked at him curiously.

“Rupert was lying about Buffy.”

“How do you know?”

“I can read Red easily. I don’t know where Buffy is, but both Harris and Red, know something they don’t want us to know.”

Angel considered for a moment. “Maybe one of us should talk to them.”

“I’m not exactly their favorite vampire.” Spike told him.

“Neither am I.” Angel admitted.

“Maybe I could inquire to her whereabouts.” Wesley volunteered. “I was her Watcher at one point.”

“Yeah, but she hated you.” Angel told him.

“That doesn’t mean I can’t be curious as to how she’s doing.”

“All right, Wes. See what you can find out.” Angel looked at his team. “Just be careful you guys. I have a feeling there is a lot more to this they aren’t telling us.”


Outside the office in the lobby Giles, Willow and Xander sat on one of the couches while the Slayers surveyed the offices around them.

(Can you hear what they are saying?) Giles asked Willow telepathically.

(No they must have sealed the room against magic.) She responded.

(Don’t you think they would have been more willing to help us if we told them the truth?) Xander asked

(They might have been, but then they never would have let us take the creature out of here. They might try and stop us as it is.) Giles explained.

(I don’t know. I think Xander may be right. They are going to be furious when they find out what’s really happened. Especially Angel and Spike.) Willow added her concerns.

(That is exactly why they cannot find out until the last possible moment. We’ll need that element of surprise as well as your magic to get the creature out of Los Angeles without the vampires interfering.)

“I don’t feel good about this, Giles.” Xander said out loud. “I hope you are right.”

‘So do I.’ Giles thought to himself.
The Demon by Kyra Storm
Later that evening Angel pulled his car into his parking spot in the lower garage. He had just left the hospital, where he had been checking on Nina. She still hadn't woken up and the doctors told him the longer she was in a coma, the less chance there was she would wake up.
Angel believed that if she were in her wolf state she would be able to heal better, but the next full moon was a good 10 days away. He was hoping Wesley would be able to look into other spells that would cause a werewolf to transform.

Angel exited his car and made his way across the dark garage to the elevators. He hadn't had much luck dealing with Giles and the rest of Buffy's friends, either. They never gave him any more answers on where Buffy was or any more information about the demon they were here to “help” him with. It took several hours of arguing before they had finally come up with a plan that both sides could agree to, as far a setting a trap for it.
And even now, Angel was certain that Giles had other measures in place to make sure he, and the rest of his team, did not have access to the demon after he played the part of bait.
However, Gunn had also arranged a counter plan trying to anticipate their betrayal. Now it would just be a matter of who outwitted whom. The whole thing had Angel exhausted, he just wanted to find this creature and find out why it was hunting him. And hopefully Angel would get the chance to pay it back for what it did to Nina.

Angel approached the well-lit vestibule that contained four elevators that went up to the executive floors. Across the parking lot was another set of elevators for the regular employees to use.

Angel slid his identification card through a slot in the wall, so he could access the elevators. As he watched the lights above the elevator descend, lost in his thoughts, he never seemed to notice the dark shape slinking up in the shadows behind him.




She watched her prey carefully from the darkness behind the cars. Her eyes took on an evil glow as she plotted his demise.


This was personal.

This was the vampire that had been responsible for much of the pain her human side had suffered. This unworthy creature had seduced and despoiled her humanity, and she wanted to make him pay for the anguish he caused.

The dinging that signaled the arrival of the elevator had her tensing in preparation to attack. When the doors slid open she leapt through the air towards her prey.
She was planning on knocking him into the elevator when it got here, there would be no place for him to run and she could take her time and play with this kill.


She was already in the air, when she realized that all four, elevator doors opened at once; too late the creature sensed the signatures of Slayers. She cut her leap short, so instead of landing on top of the vampire, she landed in front of Angel, who was just turning to face her.

She kept her head bowed, looking up and around through a curtain of matted hair. She could see and sense the Slayers surrounding her in a circle, in the vestibule, and there were other familiar life forms behind them. She sensed the power of the witch, but knew her magical powers were useless against her. She could also smell the Watcher and the one-eyed human.

Then the creature sensed something else, farther away. Someone she knew, one that shouldn't be there.
She extended her senses outwards trying to find the source.

"Who are you? Why do you want me dead?" Angel's demanding voice brought her attention back on the situation in front of her.

She let out a growl of rage; while she couldn’t understand the words he spoke she could understand his tone clearly.
How dare this foul creature challenge her like that!! This vampire that thought he was so far above the rest of his kind, but in reality was among the lowest of them.
She sized up the girls surrounding her, while she didn't want to harm the, she wouldn't let them get in her way either. She knew she needed to incapacitate them so she could concentrate on the vampire.

She threw back her head and leapt straight up into the air.

"BUFFY!!" Angel gasped. When she lifted her head as she jumped Angel could see her eyes were glowing gold and she had grown fangs, similar to that of a vampire, but what he sensed was in no way a vamp. Her hair was so dirty and matted it looked dark brown almost matching her dirt encrusted skin. What had once been clothing was now filthy rags that hung in tatters from her body.

The Slayers moved in quickly to try and grab her, but they were no match for her speed. Buffy grabbed a hold of a metal bar that ran along the ceiling and used that to propel her forward. She flipped through the air, over Angel's head; landing now crouched on the other side of him. She grabbed two of the Slayers and threw them into each other knocking them both to the ground. Then she immediately followed up with a roundhouse kick, taking down another Slayer. The last one in front of her she simply punched, it was enough to send the girl flying out of the vestibule.

And that quickly, the Slayer's were reduced by half.

Then she turned back to Angel, there were only three Slayers left with the two humans and the witch and she knew they were no threat to her.

"Uh guys, you better get in here." Angel said to his sleeve. Buffy tilted her head to the side, she could feel others approaching.

That familiar feeling again. The one who was gone now.
She shook off the feeling assuming it must be some sort of trick the witch thought up to distract her from her mission.

She could sense more humans approaching now. She didn’t need to turn around to see them surround the vestibule. They were wearing bulletproof vests and toting weapons with them. Buffy growled in frustration, knowing she was trapped.
Not that it would make a difference. This would make it more difficult, she would have to fight her way out, but nothing was going to stop her from taking this vampire down.

Angel must have read her intentions in her eyes, because, like the true coward he was, he started backing away from her, towards the remaining Slayers.

She shifted her weight feeling the stake she had hidden in the remains of the cloth on her. She prepared herself to attack, determined to destroy the vile thing had betrayed her and her calling, even if it meant her death.
Capture would not be an option.




Spike had been with Wesley, Gunn and Illyria waiting impatiently for Angel's signal before rushing in with the reinforcements. They had told the Scoobies that they were going to let them handle this, and whether they were trusting fools or they also had another plan up their sleeve, they appeared to believe them.

So they had assembled at the entrance to the garage after Angel had pulled in.

After only a few moments Spike was struck with a feeling inside him. It was a feeling he recognized immediately.

Buffy.

She was here; he could feel her, sense her.

"The creature has returned." Illyria informed them, but Spike's mind was on Buffy. When did she get here? Did she bring that ponce, the Immortal, with her? Where was she that Willow and the others had to cover for her?

He was so caught up in his thoughts he didn't notice Illyria staring at him. "Your emotions are scattered and apprehensive. You are fidgeting like you are infected with parasitic insects." She told him.
Spike's only answer was to shoot her a glare, but he tried to focus more on the situation at hand.

Through a listening device they heard the elevators arrive and Angel confront the demon that was hunting him. They waited for him to give the code so they could go in and take possession of the creature from the Scoobies.
Spike heard Angel say Buffy's name, then came the sounds of a fight.

Spike assumed that must have been the Scoobies ace in the hole; send Buffy in to take care of the demon, knowing that neither vampire would argue with her. However, it sounded as though the demon had decided it didn’t want back down from a fight with the Slayers like they had told them it would. Spike couldn't help himself; he started moving
in, wanting to see the sight of his Slayer as she saved Angel's skin from this formidable foe.

When Angel's call finally came, Spike was already almost to the vestibule. Illyria kept pace with him in the front while Gunn and Wesley brought up the rear, with Wolfram & Hart’s security behind them.
Once they arrived, Spike stood facing Angel; the creature was crouched on the ground in front of him.

Spike was confused when he scanned the Slayers still standing and the ones on the ground and saw no sign of Buffy. He knew she was here he could feel her stronger than ever.
Then the creature growled and somehow Spike knew. The creature before him was Buffy.

He could feel her still, it was his Slayer, but now she was like concentrated Slayer. Her essence was as strong as the blood he knew ran through her veins. Spike had never encountered a Slayer with this kind of power before, but he now understood why Angel thought she felt so familiar and yet different. He had never made a point to devote any time to studying the creatures that were created to hunt them, not like Spike had.

Spike saw her shift slightly and knew he had to do something; she was planning on attacking Angel even though she was surrounded. He knew that if she ever came back to herself she wouldn't be able to live with the guilt if she killed Angel.

Just before she launched herself at Angel, Spike let out a growl and jumped into the vestibule.

Buffy spun around as she sensed his presence.

Everything and everyone seemed to freeze at that moment.

Spike stood in front of her, his eyes drinking her in. She was filthy and obviously feral, but to him she was the most beautiful thing in the world. He couldn't help the grin that came to his face as a feeling of pride swept over him. She truly was magnificent, now if only she could get her powers under control and let her human side back out.


Buffy tilted her head from side to side.

She recognized this vampire. She KNEW him.

But that wasn't possible. She knew he was gone.

Yet, he still felt like the vampire she knew. The one who fought by her side. Her equal. She sniffed the air, and was amazed to discover that he even smelled like the one she knew. As she stared at him, all thoughts of Angelus and her revenge were forgotten. She let out a low growl, a warning, she was uncertain what was going on now and that put her on edge.

Spike didn't move, didn't say anything. He could tell she recognized him, but at the same time she seemed uncertain. When she growled he instinctively understood she believed him to be some sort of trick.

Spike gave her a cocky grin and slipped into game face. "Come on now Slayer, why would you want to play with grandpa? He's no fun. How about a real dance?" He purred at her, as he bounced on the balls of his feet in excitement.
Then he moved quickly, directing a spin kick towards her. She matched his movements easily and deflected his kick. She tried to retaliate with a punch to his face but he caught her wrist. For a few seconds they stood toe to toe looking at each other.

"I've missed you pet." Spike whispered to her. He saw her eyes flicker, for a fraction of a second they lost their glow and he could see her hazel color underneath.

Unfortunately, just then one of the Slayers who had previously been unconscious on the ground below them regained consciousness and tried to attack Buffy with a hypodermic needle that contained a strong sedative.
Buffy sensed her movements, however, and her eyes regained their luminescent glow
as she kicked the needle out of the girl's hand.

It made the other Slayers move into action and they all began to attack en masse. Buffy wrenched herself free from Spike's grasp and turned to face her attackers.

Spike glanced back towards Illyria and saw the Wolfram and Hart security officers with their weapons raised. Spike knew they were only tranquilizer darts, but he realized that he couldn't let either the Watcher's Council or Wolfram and Hart get a hold of her. He knew that neither team would be able to help her and both would probably just use her for their own agenda and Spike wasn't about to let that happen to her.

No one was going to use his Slayer as their tool anymore.

Seeing that they were about to fire, Spike grabbed Buffy roughly and threw her against the elevator doors, before leaping out of the way himself. He heard the darts flying through the air; two of them struck two of the Slayers.
Another one hit Giles, who collapsed onto Angel, and they both tumbled to the ground.

Buffy stared at Spike in shock. First the trap; the Slayers and these humans, then the appearance of this vampire who should be ashes. She knew it was time to fall back and regroup. She gathered all of her energy and launched herself straight at the gunmen, who were trying to quickly reload. She knocked the guns out of the hand of the humans as she moved quickly through them, escape being her only concern at this point.

She slipped past Illyria, sensing the power coming off of the Old One, before she could reach her.

Once clear of the would-be attackers she sprinted at full speed towards the entrance of the garage.

Spike had watched, in fear and fascination as Buffy glided through the security team. She even managed to dodge Illyria who had moved towards her at an accelerated speed. Buffy seemed to sense where she was going to cut her off and moved to avoid the blue demon.

Once she was out of their reach she began racing forward and that's when Spike moved, he wasn't about to let her get away. He raced after her, moving at a speed he didn't even realize he was capable.
He heard Angel yelling for him to stop as he struggled to get up from underneath Giles’ dead weight. But Spike wasn't about to listen to Peaches when it came to Buffy.
Not anymore.

Spike ran back to the entrance they had come in at and stopped for a moment to get his bearings, even though she had already gotten a head start on him, he could still sense her out there. He concentrated on that and her scent in the air, before chasing off after her into the night. Behind him Angels voice was now bellowing behind him, sending everyone else after them and calling his name.

Spike didn’t pay any attention; the only thing on his mind was to get to Buffy.
He would chase her until his legs gave out from under him; he wasn't going to lose her again.
Chasing Answers by Kyra Storm
Author's Notes:
Thank you for all the feedback and nice comments. This Chapter was really hard for some reason, please let me know what you think.
Angel struggled out from underneath Giles, yelling Spike’s name and ordering the security team to follow them, but no one moved.

“Is anyone even going to attempt to go after them?” He yelled after he untangled himself and stood up.

Gunn looked at him like he just lost his mind. “And what kind of chance would we have had at keeping up with them?” He responded.

Meanwhile, Wesley had begun directing the security officers, who were still standing, to help the injured. “The ones who were hit with tranquilizers can go to the infirmary until they wake up. Is anyone injured badly enough that we need to go to the hospital?” He asked them.

“There was one of you who could have kept up with them.” Angel snapped, glaring at Illyria.

Illyria met his glare head on, but didn’t offer any explanation or apology.

Realizing once again that he had no control over this creature Angel turned and directed his anger at the two other people still standing.

“All right.” He marched up to Willow and Xander who looked at him guardedly. “You two are going to explain what’s going.” He ordered them. Willow nodded.



Buffy raced along the streets of LA, thanks lots of back alleys; she encountered no one except for a few homeless, who thought she was just a drunken hallucination. She knew that she was clear of the Slayers and the other humans after only a mile, but she didn’t stop.

She could still feel him behind her.

She knew he could sense her better than the others and while he wasn’t traveling at the same pace she was he was still a steady presence behind her.

She couldn’t understand how he could be there.

How he was real, this anomaly of a vampire.

She had faced him time and time again, in this lifetime and others before it. Twice he had defeated her power, the only one of his kind to hunt the hunter.

She wondered if the Wisemen, the Watcher’s, had called him back to hunt her, to bring her back under their control.
Then she remembered how he protected her from the weapons the humans had.

But he was also with the team controlled by the other vampire. Why would he be working with one he had once helped her destroy?

Suddenly, she could feel him more strongly. He was getting closer. Her contemplation had slowed her speed. She sped up once again broadening the gap between them.


Spike followed after Buffy as fast as he could. At some points he came to places where she must have climbed straight up a wall or building and he would have to circle around, ever fearful of losing her scent. He never stopped moving, but even still he couldn’t help but think she could lose him if she really wanted to.

If he had taken the time to stop and think he may have wondered what he planned to do when he caught up with her. Chasing a primal Slayer, out into the night, alone, was probably even a dumber idea than chasing after a crazy Slayer alone.

Yet Spike never stopped to think, the only thing he did was follow the feeling inside of him, the one that was in his blood and pulling him straight towards his Slayer.



Back upstairs in his office, with Illyria and Wesley, Angel confronted Willow and Xander who stood across the room.

“What did you do to her?” He demanded.

“We didn’t do anything to her.” Xander yelled indignantly.

“So she just turned into a savage killer overnight for no reason? Give me a break.” Angel said sarcastically.

Xander glared hatefully at him. “Oh and a moment of true happiness is a better excuse?”

Angel growled at him.

“Why is it that Spike without a soul never tried to kill Buffy the way you did? Why is it he doesn’t seem that much different?”

“ENOUGH!!” Willow’s voice carried the weight of her power. Everyone turned to her in surprise, except Illyria. Her gaze was cold and calculating, considering. It made Willow suddenly nervous.

“Look Angel, we didn’t do this to Buffy. We were afraid something like this was going to happen, but by the time we figured out she might be in danger, it was already too late.” She told him, avoiding Illyria’s gaze.

“Why did you think something like this might happen?” Wesley asked. He was much more calm, compared to Angel. His past life as a Watcher had his curiosity piqued as to what had happened to the Slayer. He was well aware that Buffy was the oldest living Slayer on record.

In truth it felt good to be thinking of something other than Fred for the moment.

He felt a sudden pang of guilt for thinking like that, but forced him mind to listen to Willow’s reply before he got lost in his guilt.

Willow paused leery of saying something she shouldn’t.

“She wasn’t the first one was she, Willow?” Angel’s voice was very cold as realization dawned on him.

“Faith.” Wesley breathed. “Oh good Lord.” He exclaimed. Faith as a primal Slayer was a very frightening prospect.

“She was with us, in London when it happened.” Willow concurred.

“One day she was the same old Faith, and then the next morning her window was broken out and we were following a dusty, trail of demon carcasses around London Below. It took three days to track her down and capture her. That’s when we finally tried to reach Buffy, but she had changed about the same time Faith had, so we were too late.”

Angel realized it must have happened right after he and Spike had left Rome. He wondered if their being there had something to do with it before discarding that idea. If it were because of them, Faith probably wouldn’t have been affected as well.

“Magic doesn’t have any effect on them. They seem to have some kind of natural buffer against it. We can’t even track them using a locator spell.” Willow continued.

“So they will attack demons as well as vampires?” Wesley had to ask, picking up on a comment earlier from Xander; his brain was going a mile a minute by this point. He wished Giles were awake so he could grill him for more information.

“Demon, vampire, your occasional London Below giant boar, anything in that range.” Xander clarified, only wishing he were kidding as he remembered the remains of that boar.

“Although, we believe that she won’t chase down a demon unless it is killing or doing something mean and evil.” Willow added quickly, trying to defend Buffy.

“She distinguishes somehow?” Wesley leaned forward, and made some notes.

“That’s not always the case, Will.” Xander said quietly.

“Yeah, I’m not killing anyone, or doing anything evil.” Angel snarked at them.

Xander rolled his eyes, held up his hands and gestured around the room. “Says the guy sitting on top of the evil empire.”

“I wasn’t talking about you, anyway.” Xander continued. “Remember the Immortal?” He went on not waiting for an answer. “Turns out he wasn’t so Immortal.”



When she had woken up days before, Buffy immediately knew everything was different. Her senses were stronger; she could feel the power running through her veins. It filled her, consumed her. She was still Buffy, she had her memories, but she also had all the Slayer memories filling her mind, that combined with the amount of power she now held hadn’t left too much room for her humanity. The Slayer was the one in charge.

She had looked at the one still asleep next to her. He was no warrior; he had no understanding of her calling, her duty. He had idea of what she really was, he just saw her as the cute blonde American Slayer, and he was with her for the novelty, nothing more, she knew.

She tried to remember, what had made her allow him into her life. He wasn’t worthy of using her body, not that he was even that good at that, too controlled and arrogant even in that aspect of their life.

She felt him wake up and knew he immediately sensed the difference in her, and it frightened him. He tried to attack her, not having the sense to know he was no match for her and why he felt the need to attack first she did not know. It really made no difference to her; she had simply ripped him apart with her bare hands.

Even if the Immortal one could come back from that, it would be years before anyone would be able to collect all the pieces to put him back together.

After that, she knew she didn’t want to be trapped by the Council, she wasn’t going to be their pawn any longer. So she ran out into the night and tried to revel in her newfound freedom, only to find her joy of the hunt was tainted. She found herself thinking again and again of the vampire that had stolen her innocence and comparing him to the one she had woken up next to. Since none of the creatures she found in Rome had offered enough of a challenge to distract her from these feelings, she finally decided she would track down the vampire who had disgraced her so. Then she would be free from this shame.



“So Buffy is completely possessed by the spirit of the Slayer?” Angel asked.

“Pretty much. We’ve been trying to research the find out what demon the Watcher’s originally used to create the Slayer.” Willow said. “But so far, no luck.”

“I know what manner of demon this is.” Illyria spoke. “I recognized it tonight when I got close enough to her.”

“Would you care to tell us your majesty?” Angel couldn’t keep the derision out of his voice.

“Your undeserved arrogance makes you a fool.” Illyria told him coldly.

“Please.” Wesley interrupted before they began fighting. “Would you share what you know of these creatures with us?”

Angel turned his glare on Wesley, for bending to her ego.

“They were from my time. Their ways were simplistic and beneath us, but they were strong fighters. They were the fighters of our armies, like our pets.”

“How were their ways simplistic?” Willow asked her. “Did they not have a consciousness, like intelligent creatures?”

”Consciousness does not make you intelligent.” Illyria told her, before answering her question. “But, they had a consciousness. Their entire species revolved around violence, fighting was their way of life; yet, they took no pleasure in torturing or brutalizing their victims. They believed to come upon an opponent unannounced was unfair. They also believed to die in battle was an honor. Their ignorant ways and beliefs caused them to be wiped out, years before my time was finished. Somehow, the spirit of one must have been trapped by one of the others of my kind, in the hopes of bringing them back.” She considered a moment. “The one called Spike enjoys fighting in the same way, that is why I wanted him for my pet. He reminded me of the time when I still ruled.”

Xander blinked at the end of her speech. “You would have gotten along well with my ex-fiancée, I think.” He said slowly.

Willow, exhausted from everything that had happened finally sat down wearily. “Well, we know that the tribesmen originally chose young girls to house the demons essence because they were considered the most useless of the tribe. Since they didn’t know whether this would work or not, they didn’t want to risk one of their young warriors, and older people were viewed with respect. What they didn’t count on was the young girls changing the nature of the demon. When the first girl died the Wiseman thought they had it set up so the Slayer’s nature would pass on to a male. They were shocked when another girl was chosen instead.”

”How do you know all this?” Wesley asked.

Willow didn’t answer not wanting to tell Wesley about the woman who gave Buffy the scythe the last year in Sunnydale. She didn’t want him to know that since then they found other Guardian’s temples around the world with scrolls recording the lives of the Slayers much farther back than the Watcher’s Council had, especially since most of their records were destroyed by Caleb.

“How could a human, change the nature of demon?” Illyria’s question saved her from answering Wesley. “A demon’s nature should be much stronger than that of a human’s, your species is weak.

“Physically, but our emotions set us apart, they make us strong.”

“Emotions make you weak.” Illyria insisted before marching out of the room. Angel looked at Wesley in exasperation, but Wesley could only shrug, uncertain of what had upset her so.

“Go talk to her Wes, find out what else she knows about this demon. See if there’s a way to get it out of Buffy.”

“I don’t think that would be such a good idea.” Willow told him.

“Right now I don’t care what you think. She’s out there right now, and we don’t know when she’ll be back to finish what she started. And no matter what you may think, she does hurt creatures that aren’t engaging in evil. She almost killed my girlfriend.”

“She went after you because of what happened between you when you lost your soul.” Xander spoke slowly as if Angel couldn’t understand his words.

“Ok and what happens when she remembers Spike has killed two Slayers in his time?” Angel asked.

Willow’s eyes widened. “I hadn’t thought about that.”



Buffy was still running, only now she found she didn’t know why.

She slowed down to a stop. There was no reason to run any farther. No matter who this one was working for they could be no help to him now. Whatever reasons he had for following her didn’t matter, she wouldn’t keep running from him.

She was going to face him.

She looked at her surroundings. She was in a dark part of the city with several large buildings. She extended her senses before entering one she knew to empty of everything except rats and vermin.

It was even darker inside, but she was able to see clearly in the blackness and knew he would be able to see, as well as sense her.

She waited, eagerly now, as she prepared to battle this fighter, knowing he would give her the challenge she had been so sorely missing in Rome.

She would find out the truth of his return and what his intentions towards her were.

Most likely she would have to fight him and kill him.

It brought a pang of emotion inside of her, but she pushed it aside. She had a duty to perform and she wasn’t about to be chained to another master again. If this one was here to take her back, she would destroy him.

He wouldn’t beat her. Not again.



Spike felt it when Buffy stopped running and he slowed his pace. He moved forward cautiously, recognizing the part of town they were in wasn’t that far from his small apartment.

He walked right up to the warehouse she had entered. He knew she was just on the inside, waiting for him.

He let his demon face slip forward in anticipation of their confrontation. For a moment he gave in to doubt as he wondered if he would be able to hold her off is she was waiting inside to attack him. What if she staked him before he got a chance to get through to her?

But then he shrugged it off.

This was Buffy.

HIS Slayer.

And he lived for this sort of thing. While he hoped he would be able to bring her back to herself, no matter what happened it would be one hell of a ride.

He couldn’t help the gleeful laugh, as he entered the dark warehouse to face her.
Worthy by Kyra Storm
Author's Notes:
Ok, I tried to do this fight scene a little different because I think I suck at fight scenes. This take on it came from a Circque Du Soliel I watched last night. I hope it comes across ok.
Chapter 4 Worthy

Spike could see her clearly in the darkness, his sense of her within helping his other senses. She stood in the middle of the large empty space in the center of the building.

“Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum. I smell the blood…” He didn’t finish as she stood up smoothly and ran towards him, executing a flip before landing, crouching defensively, directly in front of him.

“Beautiful.” He breathed. Her movements were as fluid as a jungle cat and Spike was lost in the allure of her.

He knelt down so he could look her in the eyes. He searched them trying to discern what was going on inside her head.

He saw no sign of Buffy’s emotions in the gold depths, but he assumed by the fact that he wasn’t a pile of dust yet, she had to retain some of Buffy’s memories or she wouldn’t have ever let him get this close to her.

He began talking; hoping the sound of his voice speaking to her would call to her humanity.

“Looks like you’ve been a busy Slayer, path of dead demons and dust across two continents.”

Neither his tone nor his actions were threatening, so Buffy couldn’t decide if he was a friend or foe yet.

There was a war inside of her. Part of her yelled that he hunted down and killed her kind, even took pride in that fact. The other part of her remembered the vampire who fought by her side, and also knew that he had bested her, in times past, in fair fights and had good reason to be proud.

Spike watched her head tilt and saw confusion in her eyes. He had seen the same look on Illyria many times, as she tried to reconcile her nature with the world around her, finding it so completely foreign.

On Buffy, however, he found the look adorable. He noticed her bottom lip came out, slightly, in a pout. Very similar to the way it would when the Watcher would be rambling on about one thing or another that she didn’t understand.

Unable to help himself Spike reached out a hand slowly to trace that lip.

Buffy watched his hand coming towards her, but didn’t move to stop him. This also did not seem threatening, yet she didn’t relax her guard at all.

The feeling of his rough finger as it traced her lip made her chest feel tight; she swallowed and took a shaking breath.

Feeling the need to reassure herself that this was really the vampire she thought it was she grabbed his hand and brought it too her nose. She could smell the aroma of tobacco strong on the two fingers she remembered holding his cigarettes in, and under that was his own unique aroma. Her eyes almost closed as the tightness in her chest seemed to shoot down to her womb and again she took a deep breath.

Spike’s mouth literally began to water and his body began to shake when the scent of her arousal reached him. Buffy moved closer to him until only mere inches separated him. She released his hand and ran her fingers lightly over the ridges on his face. Spike felt the overwhelming urge to purr as she did this, but refrained, knowing he wasn’t out of danger yet.

Buffy was amazed that he was here. The part inside of her that demanded his death was quieter now, while the other part grew louder. This was her vampire it now yelled inside her. This was the vampire who fought by her side, who stood behind her no matter what. He had protected the ones she loved time and again.

Her Champion cloaked in black leather.

Both sides now convinced, Buffy grabbed the lapels of his coat to pull him towards her…then stopped.

This wasn’t right. This leather was crisp and unwrinkled. Gone were the well-worn, creases and small tears from her fingernails digging into the soft hide from when she grabbed him like this.

Instead of pressing her lips to hers as she had been planning Buffy lowered her head and sniffed the coat. Again it wasn’t right. This smelled strongly of leather, and only slightly of the vampire, as if he had not worn it long. The coat she remembered had long ago adopted his scent as its own and the faintest hint of leather was all that had remained.

She pulled back and yanked the coat off his shoulders, growling.

This wasn’t right!!!

“I know its not the same one.” Spike knew what was bothering her, Buffy quieted as she tried to understand the meaning of the noises coming from him. His tone was still gentle, she noticed.

“Mine was destroyed,” he chuckled. “By the Immortal, no less, when Peaches and I were in Rome. I got this one from Wolfram and Hart. It looks the same, but it really isn’t, is it?”

Buffy froze and her grip tightened.

Peaches=his name for the vampire she was hunting.

The Immortal=the one she had killed when he attacked her in her own bed.

Wolf, Ram & Hart=they were evil, she remembered this.

Rome=the city she had come from.

He was working with the evil ones to hunt her.

She threw him to the side before he could react to her change in demeanor.

She pulled the stake out of the rags on her body and prepared to face him.

He wasn’t going to have the chance to take a third Slayer.



After searching everywhere Wesley finally found Illyria in Fred’s old bedroom. He had to force himself to enter, not wanting to relive the last hours of Fred’s life again.

Except, now, the room now bore little resemblance to the comforting haven Fred had created for herself. Illyria had ripped the room apart and was rummaging through drawers and searching through Fred’s things. To Wesley she looked almost frantic.

“What is it you are trying to find?” He asked her trying to appear calm and unconcerned about her state.

Illyria did not answer her, just continued her explorations.

Wesley moved closer to her. “Illyria?”

“Humans are weak and stupid. Your emotions make you WEAK!!” She finally spoke.

“All right.” Wesley said slowly. He was used to these comments from her on a regular basis, but instead of being unimpassioned and superior, now her voice was defensive as if she didn’t quite believe it anymore.

“What has happened to upset you?”

This made her stop, her head came up sharply. “What makes you believe I am upset?”

“Your actions, the way you are speaking right now, many things.” Wesley eyed her. “The same things that told me you were trying to figure out how Willow’s body can contain such power and if you can use that to help your cause.”

Illyria threw the drawer she had been holding to the side and stalked up to him. “And you know these things because you can read them from my actions?”

“Its called body language.”

“Can everyone read me the way you do?”

“To some extent, but most don’t understand you that well.”

“But you do.” Illyria tilted her head and looked at him, trying to figure out once again, if Wesley meant her harm. She knew he still searched for a way to bring back Fred, but did that mean he wanted to destroy her as well?

“And I can also understand you and your body language. It is like a connection between us, this knowledge of each other. It is the same as the connection that ran between Spike and the Slayer downstairs.” She stated.

“Is that why you didn’t stop them when the raced past?” Wesley asked her.

She continued on as if he didn’t speak, her eyes didn’t even appear to see him anymore as she stared off into the distance. “I have all these…these…feelings inside of me. When I see you and I know that you don’t eat and sleep, I feel a pain inside of me. Sometimes in the quiet of the night when I am alone, I feel a different kind of pang inside me, as I crave some kind of physical contact and I wonder about you.” She stormed away from him.

“Are these emotions? How can that be? How can something that makes you so weak be so strong?”

Wesley said nothing; he was as confused as she was. He knew that these feelings she was having were probably just remnants left over from Fred. What he didn’t know was if the body retained some kind of memory from its previous occupant or if it was some small part of Fred still alive inside of her trying to come through.



Spike barely knew what happened. One second he thought Buffy was going to kiss him and the next he was flying through the air.

At least they were on familiar ground.

He rolled back to his feet and shed the coat that seemed to upset her so.

He saw her tense and pull a stake from somewhere. He barely had time to brace himself before she launched herself at him. He got his hands up in time to keep her from getting within staking distance, then used her own momentum to throw her behind him as he arched backwards.

She rolled and quickly got back to her feet. Knowing it was the only way he had a chance against her, Spike let his demon have full control.

He growled out a warning to her, but she took that as a challenge and growled low in her throat in response. They both waited a heartbeat and then launched themselves at each other.

Anyone watching these two, even in full light, would have been hard pressed to keep up with the speed things were happening.

Fists flew.

Legs kicked.

Inches gained and lost within seconds.

The only sounds were the thuds of the hits landed or were blocked and the occasional grunt from a well placed strike.

This went on for the next twenty minutes. Occasionally one of them would get an good enough grip on the other to throw them back, but they never came close to staying down and the fighting would resume before either would have time to take a breath.

Slowly though, the fight was changing its tone.

When both opponents realized that neither of them was gaining ground, they began to expand their moves of attack into more difficult maneuvers. When those also met with no results, they got experimental. Soon, they weren’t fighting to beat each other; instead they were enjoying just being able to use their skills to the fullest without having the gravity of a life or death situation. Openings that could have been utilized to take the other down were ignored, to instead try out a different type of kicking combination.

For Buffy, this was the joy she had been missing in Rome, the joy of fighting someone worthy of her skills. She could feel the blood inside her pounding through her body, she was covered in a light sweat and what was left of her clothes was now nothing more than small scraps held in place by nothing more than her damp skin.

Spike stood there in nothing but his jeans, his shirt had been ripped off earlier when she had used it to throw him. He could feel every muscle in his body tingling with excitement. He felt like he had been waiting his whole life to have this fight. It was incredible; he was working at his fullest capability, pushing his body harder than he ever had before. His demon was howling with happiness to be allowed out and in complete control. Even the small piece of the tender poet inside him could appreciate artistry of this dance they were performing.

As the fight relaxed Spike became aware of the steady drumbeat of Buffy’s heart, his demon could smell the sweat of her body calling to him almost as much as the aroma as her arousal. A sound came out of him, that Spike was certain he never heard from himself before. It wasn’t a growl and it wasn’t a purr, but something in between that came from deep in his chest.

Buffy felt a deep tremor rock through her whole body almost convulsed at the sound. Her breathing immediately picked up and she felt a dampness between her legs. Again the fight changed its tone. The movements were no less complicated and the hits were just as hard, but in between brutal hits there were caresses on skin. Holds were held longer as their bodies enjoyed the contact of being pressed together.

Then it happened, Spike threw a punch to Buffy’s face while at the same time kicking his leg out to sweep her feet. Buffy saw both coming and knew exactly what do to do avoid them easily.

She looked into his eyes.

She did something that she had never done before, either as Buffy or in her years as a Slayer. She let Spike take her down. She let him catch her.

Spike met her eyes even as his fist and foot connected, he knew she had just let him hit her and his demon immediately instinctively understood what to do. He grabbed her around the waist with his other arm before she could fall back too far and hauled her to him. He ground his erection, now painful as it surged against its denim prison, into the damp heat between her legs.

He lowered his head to her neck licking the salty skin once remembering her taste. Her hands gripped his shoulders tightly and her body was rigid, not with fear or anger, but with deep craving. Small whimpers escaped her throat with every breath, begging, pleading with him.

He opened his mouth and breathed lightly on her skin turning her whimpers into a keening. Without anymore teasing Spike sunk his fangs into her soft skin on her neck. His hips thrust against her blindly while her powerful blood pulsed in his mouth.

Buffy felt as if there were a wire leading between her neck and down in between her legs directly on her clit. Every suck and nibble from Spike sent an electric bolt through her body that had her crying out in pleasure. Yet she needed more, every pulse made her realize how empty she felt, she needed him inside her, filling her up. Buffy released her grip on his shoulders, reaching between him to rip at the fastenings of his jeans.

Spike was completely unaware of what she was doing, too lost in the ecstasy that was her blood, that was now running through his veins spreading pleasure and warmth through out the inside of his body, like a shot of heroin. When he felt the sudden sensation of her wet heat, her strong internal muscles pulsing around it in answer to the its throbbing state he lost it completely.

They both fell to the floor as he began to push his hips against her hard, seeking to go deeper yet inside her as he emptied himself into her. She screamed, her muscles clamped around him tighter still causing him to come again. He finally removed his fangs from her neck and began kissing down her body as they began to move each against each other frantically. Their bodies slapped together as he drove into her over and over again. Her rocked from side to as cries and moans of pleasure escaped her lips. Spike struggled to keep his grip on her sweat soaked body and wound up grabbing her to him more tightly, arching her back and putting her nipple level with his mouth. He latched onto it, causing her to drive her hips back against him even harder, desperately seeking for the peak she was riding on the edge of. He sucked hard for a few moments then bit down with his fangs. The groaning wail filled him with pride, it the sound of satisfaction and triggered his own orgasm, while once again her powerful blood filled his mouth.

Spike licked around the bit to seal it shut before removing his mouth and lowering her gently to the ground. He lay on top of her holding her tightly to him as they both lay there, bodies shaking with emotions.
Clean Up by Kyra Storm
Author's Notes:
Just imagine the usual neurotic rambling is here, I'm too tired to write it.
Chapter 6 Clean Up

Gunn, Willow, Xander and Illyria were headed out in one of the firm’s vehicles to track down Spike. Behind them were two vans, one loaded with another security team, and the other loaded up with more Slayers, who had been brought to the city, in case they were needed.

Willow had performed a locator spell and had found Spike, moving quickly away from the firm, obviously still chasing after Buffy. Angel had called Gunn and Wesley back to his office and asked Gunn and Illyria to go with track the MIA pair down. This time there was no bickering over how they were going to do this or who would take custody of Buffy after they caught her, since neither side sure if they were actually going to be able to catch her.

By the time they left Spike had stopped moving; and Willow was worried they were going to be too late if there was a confrontation between them.

Angel wanted Wesley to stay behind and try and research a way to make Nina transform into her wolf state without a full moon.

In an attempt to mend fences, Willow offered to try and contact Oz if Wesley couldn’t come up with anything. An offer Angel had told her he may take her up on.

Awkward silence filled the car as they raced through Los Angeles. Willow concentrated on following Spike’s trail while attempting to ignore the fact that Illyria was sitting next to her in the back, studying her in much the same way one would study a lab specimen.

“So if you don’t mind me asking,” Gunn began hesitantly, speaking to Xander. “How did you lose your eye?”

“All I can say, is when they tell you not to run with scissors, its for a reason.” Gunn’s jaw dropped and Xander laughed. “Actually, it was taken out by a deranged preacher during the war with the First Evil.”

“That was the one Spike burnt up in, right?” Gunn said trying to connect all the stories and tidbits he had been told about the Scoobies over the years.

“Actually, its because of Spike this was all that happened to me. If it weren’t for him this probably would have been a lot more terminal.”

“So you two were tight?” Gunn asked.

Xander started laughing. “Sure. In a, I hated him and wanted him dead, kind of way.”

“Oh.”

The awkward silence resumed as they sped through the night. This time it was Willow who spoke.

“Uh oh.” She said.

“Uh oh?” Gunn looked back at her in the rearview mirror. “What’s ‘uh oh’?”

“I lost him.”

“You LOST him, Will?” Xander turned in his seat to look at her. “Did the spell stop working? Do you need to recast it?”

“No, it was working fine. He was there and then ‘poof’ he was gone.” She said, nervously looking at him.

“Poof?” Xander said weakly. He and Gunn exchanged a glance, neither said anything, but Gunn pressed down hard on the gas pedal and they accelerated quickly.


Buffy’s body had slowly stopped shaking, and her breathing evened out, as she fell into an exhausted sleep. Her body drained, not only from not resting at all, during the Slayer’s quest to hunt Angel down, but also because some she no longer was filled with the powerful blood that kept her moving.

Her blood.

Spike had tasted Slayer’s blood before, the aphrodisiac elixir, that dispensed a feeling of power and euphoria, better than any adrenaline rush.

It was always about the blood.

He had also tasted Buffy’s blood before, under the control of the First, in the basement of the house he had left his victims in. Buffy’s blood had been a serum that freed him from the First’s control and unlocked his memories of what he did.

Her blood was pure power and warmth all wrapped up into one.

This blood was like all of that together, and yet completely different.

He could feel it burning its way through his veins. While it wasn’t necessarily unpleasant, it was a curious feeling and made him slightly nervous. It tightened and hardened his muscles as it traveled along through his body and he could feel his strength increasing by the second. His mind was filling with memories and knowledge, that he knew he didn’t possess before. Memories of girls, Slayers, engaged in various fights throughout the ages. Even stranger, though, were the memories that came from before the Slayers, the memories of the demon.

Spike shook his head trying to push the memories to the side while he focused instead on the changes occurring inside him.

He became aware of a rustling noise coming from the walls surrounding him. He finally realized, as he peered into the darkness, that his hearing sharpened along with his other senses and the noise he was hearing was roaches and other insects that were living in the rotting building. Also, before he would have had to peer hard into the darkness to make anything out in the black corners, now he could see into them as clearly as he could see in a well lit room.

He filtered out the noises in the walls and extended his senses farther out into the night. For a few moments there was nothing. Then he felt it.

Something powerful was approaching.

Now he could hear the vehicles as they raced down the street.

He shook Buffy roughly, trying to wake her up, with no success as she just burrowed closer to him in her sleep.

He pulled back and away from her, not an easy task because her grip on him was tight, even in her unconscious state. Once free from her grasp he did up his jeans and dashed for his coat.

As soon as he lost contact with Buffy she began to cry softly in her sleep and rolled over as if she were seeking him out. He came back to her and pressed a kiss to her forehead and ran a hand through her hair, noticing for the first time all the dirt caked on her and the tangled mess that was her hair.

She quieted down immediately when he returned to her side. Spike heard the doors of the vehicles slamming shut outside. He could feel the Slayers out there and knew he didn’t have much time left. He could also feel the presence he somehow knew was Illyria.

Spike wrapped Buffy up in his coat and lifted her into his arms. “We need to get you someplace safe, luv.” He whispered to her. He was aware that he wouldn’t be able to get out through the front door so he headed towards the back hoping there would be a back door he could get out through.

Instead he found a pile of old crates the reached almost to the ceiling.

Making sure he had a good grip on the Slayer, he leaped on top of the crates, something he wouldn’t have been able to do before, and from there climbed up among the metal bars that ran the length of the ceiling. He managed to brace himself with his legs on two of the bars, in a back corner of the warehouse.

There he waited pensively, hoping they wouldn’t be able to locate him, knowing if they did, they were both sitting ducks.

He held Buffy more tightly to him and was rewarded with her arms wrapping around him and holding him tightly back, all while still asleep.

The doors opened and beams of light entered first searching for any sign of the vampire or the Slayer. The security team came in first, followed closely by the Slayers. They fanned out below him, checking in crates, behind crates, anywhere they could possibly fit.

Spike felt Illyria enter with Willow, Xander and Gunn. He could hear their voices clearly from his perch.

“It doesn’t look like anyone’s here.” Xander commented.

“They were here, though.” Willow insisted. “At least Spike was before I lost his signal.”

“I hate to say it, but maybe we should check for signs of dust.” Gunn said.

Xander shined a light around the darkness. “That should be easy enough.” Xander said wryly.

They could all see particles of dust floating in the air wherever they shined their lights.

Several long minutes went by, and one by one the Slayers and the men returned from various areas below, reporting there were no signs of the ones they were seeking.

One slayer did find the remains of Spike’s shirt, along with the scraps of Buffy’s clothing, but other than that they found nothing. After the last one returned and headed out into the night to search the perimeter and surrounding buildings, Gunn and the others stayed inside still talking.

“Well, this was a bust.” Gunn said. “Now what?”

Willow shrugged. “I don’t know what else to do. I guess we’re back at square one.”

“Does that mean we get to use Angel as bait again?” Xander sounded excited at the prospect.

Illyria stepped away from the others and turned in a circle slowly, her eyes searching. She stopped when she was facing in the direction Spike and Buffy were hiding in. She raised her head and Spike swore she was staring directly at him.

Gunn noticed her actions and moved closer to her. “Do you see something?” He asked her.

Spike waited for her to say ‘yes’ and point them out.

“No there is nothing here, but us.” Illyria stated.

Spike almost fell from shock. He had been certain she knew he was there.


Finally, they left. Spike heard them outside, calling back and forth to each other, before they all climbed back in their vehicles and took off.

Even though by now his muscles, even with their increased strength, were burning fiercely with exertion, Spike waited an extra fifteen minutes before climbing back down to the floor.

Sunrise was less than an hour away now and without any vehicle he was limited in options on where to take Buffy. He finally decided just to take her to his apartment. None of the people at Wolfram and Hart had ever been there before and while they could probably find out where it was from Lindsey, it didn’t seem too likely they would check there for him, especially not if they assumed he was dust.

He headed out in the night wondering what Willow had meant when she said she lost his signal. Why would she have suddenly lost his signal when he was still in the same place?


Wesley sat at his desk frustrated. So far the only ways he had found to call out a werewolf were extremely dangerous and involved dark magics that he didn’t feel comfortable using. There were a few spells that he was going to ask Willow if she could alter to make them less volatile.

In truth his mind was having trouble focusing on the task at hand. He kept returning instead to his earlier conversation with Illyria. He had pulled several books on demon half breeds hoping to determine if the emotions she was experiencing were genuine at all. Either way he didn’t know how to handle the situation.

He was well aware of the connection between himself and the Old One, but he had assumed it was because of the fact she looked like Fred. What if it was more than that? He knew it wasn’t the soft feeling he had felt for the innocent girl from Texas, but what it was exactly he couldn’t tell.

Angel entered his office, obviously agitated.

“They’re on their way back.” He said. “They couldn’t find either one of them. Willow lost Spike before they even got there and aside from some shredded clothes there was no sign of Buffy.”

“Do you think she killed him?” Wesley asked.

“No. I would know if he was gone, but I suppose she could have knocked him out and moved him someplace.”

“Would that have affected Willow’s spell like that?”

“I don’t know Wes,” Angel snapped. “But I want to meet with everyone in my office when they get back.”

“Angel, I know you want to find them, but we’ve been up for almost 48 hours straight. I think it would be wise to get some sleep before we start to get sloppy.”

“You haven’t been sleeping anyway, Wes.” Angel told him angrily. “You just want to be left alone to do more research on Illyria.”

“I wasn’t thinking of myself.” Wesley told him stiffly.

Harmony knocked on Wesley’s door before poking her head inside. “Boss, they just arrived downstairs. And the infirmary called and Mr. Giles is starting to come around. They said he’s still groggy, but he should be fully awake within the hour.”

“Thanks, Harmony. Tell Gunn to meet us in my office.” She nodded and left. Angel turned back to Wesley. “See there, Giles will be wide awake within the hour. Why don’t you see if he’ll give you any answers now and I’ll see what happened out in there and then let the others get some sleep?”

Wesley sighed resigning himself to the fact he wouldn’t be able to do any more research on Illyria until after they had solved the problem with the Slayers.


Spike entered his apartment just before the sun rose over the horizon. He took Buffy directly into the bathroom and laid her gently in the tub. He turned the water on and after adjusting the temperature he began to fill it with hot water.

He understood that she would probably just go out and get filthy again if she woke up no different, but on the chance she woke up and was herself again, he wanted her to be clean. Buffy would be mortified if she knew how tangled her hair was, he thought with a smirk.

He stood up and left the bathroom to search for a towel and some clothing to put on her when he was finished. When he got back to the bathroom door he stopped in his tracks, Buffy had started crying again only this time she was talking in her sleep, too.

“No.” She shook her head. “Spike, no, please.”

Spike’s knees almost gave out from underneath him. The sound of the running water and Buffy’s crying, and her voice telling him ‘no’ brought back that disastrous night in her bathroom. Seeing her here like that again, pain lanced through his soul and he closed his eyes trying to shut out the images and the memories.

He stepped back outside and slid to the floor. He realized that what happened between them tonight was almost as bad as what happened back then. Buffy was obviously not herself, not in control, and yet he had given into his lust for her without any thought of what she would have wanted, if she were in her right mind.

Her voice came again louder. “Spike, please!!” Spike knew he was going to have to go back in there. He couldn’t just leave her filthy and crying in a tub of running water, but he couldn’t get his emotions under control.

“You don’t have to stay.” He heard her say. “Come with me.” Spike peeked his head around the corner. She was still crying, her arms were reaching out for something only she could see in her mind. He hesitantly crawled into the bathroom, he sat on the floor next to her, but didn’t reach out to comfort her, instead he just watched her.

“No!!! You’ve done enough, you can still get out.” Spike let out a sound, something between a laugh and a sob. She wasn’t reliving the night he almost raped her, she was reliving his last moments in the Hellmouth.

He reached out and brushed her forehead lightly. “Its all right pet. I’m here. I’m ok. It’ll take more than a Hellmouth collapsing to get rid of the Big Bad.”

Her eyes flickered for a few seconds and then she opened her eyes. Spike was relieved to see they were hazel once more. She looked around for a few seconds, but her eyes didn’t focus on anything, then she looked in his direction.

“Spike?” She whispered.

“I’m right here, Buffy.” Her eyes closed again and she relaxed, he though she had fallen back to sleep again, but then she spoke again. Her voice was so soft he could just barely make it out.

“Every night since then I saved you.” Spike felt his heart swell and there was a prickling behind his eyes as he blinked back the tears that wanted to fall. Her breathing had become slow and steady again as she did fall back into sleep.

“Come on pet lets get you all washed up and put to bed.” He put the stopper in the tub and the water began to rise. “It’ll be a lot more comfy there.”

Spike picked up a cloth and the soap and began washing all the dirt and grime off of Buffy’s body.

He could tell she must have been getting out into the sun more because her skin was golden bronze on her limbs, chest and stomach. He could see the tan lines, triangles that barely covered her breasts and a small patch between her legs.

Spike’s mind wandered as he bathed her, wishing he could see her lying on a white beach soaking up the warm rays of the sun. Or even better yet, instead of just watching her he could help her rub the sun tan oil into her skin making it glisten in the bright clean light.

He pulled the stopper out and allowed the dirty water to drain away, before rinsing her off, replacing the stopper and again filling the tub.

This time he took a cup and began to pour water down the back of her head, trying to loosen some of the dirt caked into the tangles of her hair.

He had plenty of experience bathing someone like this from his time with Dru. During some of her more violent fits, she would have her hair into such a tangled mess, it resembled dred locks. He would patiently wash and condition her hair before taking a pick and carefully working out all of the knots.

Buffy’s hair was a lot softer and much more fine than Drusilla’s, so once he removed most of the dirt, and cleaned and conditioned it, it wasn’t hard to work the tangles out of it.

Finally clean and her hair now hanging down her back, Spike dried her skin off and lifted her from the tub. He he carried her over and put her down on his bed. He planned on leaving her there by herself to sleep while he went and lay on the couch, but as soon as he stepped away from her she started crying again. Spike sighed. Honestly, he wanted to lie next to her and sleep, he was just afraid of what her reaction would be when she woke up.

She whimpered and her hands reached out, searching for him. He sat on the bed and lay down next to her. He only planned on staying there until she fell deeper into sleep and then he was going to move onto the couch.

Buffy had other ideas and she immediately wrapped her arms and legs tightly around him. Spike had loosened his boots earlier so he was able to just toe them off, and then used his feet to grab a blanket from the bottom of the bed. He covered her up and put his arms around her.

She gave a tiny sigh of contentment and settled against him. Her warm breath on his chest and the steady beat of her heart lulled him to sleep not long after that.


Once again everyone was gathered in Angel’s office. Willow and Xander’s eyes were almost drooping they were so tired. Angel asked them again and again, what happened with the locator spell, thinking he was going to get a different answer if he asked enough. Willow was about ready to cast some sort of teleportation spell to get herself out of there when they heard a loud commotion from outside. The door to Angel’s office burst open and Harmony was drug in by her hair by Dawn. Once she saw those gathered inside Dawn let go of Harmony and marched up to Willow.

“Did you really think you could keep this from me?” She demanded angrily.

“Dawnie!!!” Willow exclaimed.

“Don’t ‘Dawnie’ me. Where the hell is my sister?”
Figuring Things Out by Kyra Storm
Author's Notes:
I haven't slept in almost 48 hours now, I have reread this chapter over and over again and I think its ok. However, at this point there are also flying monkeys circling my outside my head, so who really knows...
Chapter 7 Figuring Things Out


Buffy swam towards consciousness. She became aware of strong cool arms wrapped tightly around her. She willed her body back to sleep wanting to prolong the luxurious feeling of peace and safety she found laying in Spike’s arms.

The irony that she found these things in the arms of one who was once her worst enemy was not lost on her. It was just one of the reasons she had trouble admitting how much she cherished this. The other reason being that she was the Slayer, she shouldn’t need anyone to make her feel safe or at peace, she should have that on her own. The truth was this was the closest thing to heaven she had found since Willow had brought her back. When she was in his arms she felt whole again. Even last year during their desperate and abusive affair, there were moments when she allowed herself to enjoy these feelings, that, more than anything else was what had her going back time and again.

What was that rustling noise she kept hearing? Thinking it must be the girls upstairs doing something she tried to ignore it.

She snuggled closer to him, wanting as much contact with him while she still had the chance. She knew that sooner or later daybreak would come and then it would be time to face the First.

For some reason she was worried about Spike in the upcoming battle. She felt sick to her stomach when she thought about him fighting by her side. She had meant what she said when she called him a champion, but now she was worried about the amulet. They didn’t know anything about it, what if it harmed him in some way?

It was that thought that brought the memories back.

Buffy’s eyes flew open. The battle with the First had already happened. They had won. But Buffy had lost; she had lost them man who was now lying next to her.

She bolted upright breaking Spike’s hold on her, she looked around frantically, but there was nothing familiar about her surroundings at all. The rustling noise she heard seemed to come from the walls around her.

“Buffy?” His voice, thick with sleep still, made her turn back towards him. Her heart clenched at how much he looked, even smelled like her Spike.

“Where am I?” She asked trying to keep the panicky out of her voice.

Spike, however, heard it right away, it woke him fully. He remembered everything that had happened the night before and knew he would have to tread very carefully. “I brought you back to my apartment.”

“Your apartment?” Buffy said slowly. She looked around, still nothing looked familiar. She tried to wade through all the memories in her head; some were blurred or distant, as if she were watching them through someone else’s eyes.

“Your apartment in Los Angeles?” She wasn’t certain how she knew that’s where they were, but she did. The scratching and rustling coming from the walls kept breaking her concentration.

“That’s right.” Spike said carefully.

“Where you live and…” She hesitated, surely this couldn’t be right. “Work with Angel?”

“That’s right, luv.”

Buffy let out a humorless laugh and jumped from the bed, she began searching frantically for some clothing to cover herself with. “So this is one of those Alternate Reality thingies?” She said. “Ok, I can deal with this; I just need to find someone to send me back to my reality.”

Spike gave a bark of disbelief. She assumed it must be an alternate Reality because she was in bed with him. Nice. “Sorry to disappoint you, but no such luck.” His voice came out harsh.

Buffy stopped searching for clothing for a moment. Anger flared in her eyes. “No!!” She snapped at him. “My Spike died saving the world.” She was beginning to think that if the noises in the background didn’t stop soon she was going to rip through the walls to make them stop. She began rummaging through the only dresser in the room, but most of the drawers were empty except for a few pairs of black jeans.

“Buffy, I was brought back…”

“NO!!!” This time her eyes actually flashed their golden color again. “Spike is gone.” She swallowed back the tears and pain that she felt from saying that out loud. “Even if he wasn’t, he wouldn’t be in Los Angeles with ANGEL of all people. They hate each other.”

Spike jumped out of bed and followed her to living room where she continued to search for anything to put on. “Its not like were bosom chums, we’re just working together. This is where they brought me back at and I couldn’t leave for a long time. I didn’t even have a body for a few months. I had to float around like a ghosty.” Buffy didn’t pay any attention to him. She finally found a closet and opened it, only to find it empty; however the noises were much louder in there. She closed the closet door quickly; her skin was crawling at the noise.

“Where are my clothes?” She demanded.

“You didn’t have any when I found you.” Spike told her. “Buffy, I wanted to find you, I did. But I wanted you to have that normal life you wanted so bad.” She finally stopped moving and stared at him. “I also didn’t want to disappoint your memories of me.”

Buffy finally stopped moving and just stared at him. “Spike??” She whispered.

Spike sighed; relieved he had gotten through to her. “I just wanted you to be happy. I did it because I love you.”

Buffy face twisted with bitterness. She spied his coat on the back of a chair. She snatched it up and wrapped it tightly around her. She met his eyes for an instant and he could see the hurt and betrayal in them.

“No you don’t, but thanks for saying it.” She said with a sneer, before she darted out the front door.

Spike stared at the space she had just occupied for a split second, until her words sunk into his brain.

“Bloody Hell.” He muttered dashing after her.

She hadn’t gotten far. He actually ran into her frozen right outside his door.

“What’s going on?” She whimpered when she felt him behind her. She leaned back against him unconsciously seeking some kind of comfort or reassurance. “The scratching noises are so much louder now, and I can feel and hear all the people living here.”

Spike noticed immediately what she was referring to. “The noises are echoing in the stairway, making the louder. The same goes for the humans’ essences, it works just like sound. The scratching noises are rats and insects, I’m sorry to say. You’ll have to learn to filter it out. I have.”

Buffy looked around as she worked on shutting out the noises, she peered up into a corner. “My eye sight is better too. I can see a spider building a web up there. There was awe in her voice now instead of fear, Spike’s presence calming her.

Her head turned quickly to the left. “Someone’s coming out.” She nodded at his neighbor’s doorway. Spike could here them approaching too.

However, when the doorway opened and his neighbor, who happened to be a drag queen, came out Spike remembered he was standing there half naked.

He quickly pulled Buffy back inside the apartment as the whistling started. Buffy giggled and turned to face him when she suddenly remembered she was furious with him. She opened her mouth, probably to start yelling again, but Spiked didn’t give her the chance.

He spun her around, none too gently and threw her back onto the couch. Before she could sit up he was crouched in front of her, directly in her face. “Now listen here, as familiar as I am with the whole wake up, yell, kick me in the head and run out scenario it isn’t happening this time, understand?” He told her fiercely. Buffy’s jaw set stubbornly and she glared at him. “For once you are going to sit and hear what I have to say.” He continued on. “If when I’m done you still want to yell and run out fine, but please,” He implored with his eyes and softened his tone. “Just hear me out first, ok?”

Buffy nodded stiffly. Spike sat on the couch next to her. Now he just had to figure out where to start.



Dawn was standing in Angel’s office with her hands on her hips eerily reminiscent of a pose her sister used often enough. “Well? I’m waiting.” She said.

“Dawn, Buffy has been having some, uh, identity issues…” Willow began, but Dawn cut her off.

“Identity issues? Is that what you call being possessed by her Slayer side like Faith was, killing her boyfriend and setting off on a rampage across two continents?”

“You knew about that?” Willow asked her surprised.

Dawn snorted. “Did you really think Andrew could keep a secret? How long did he keep quiet about Spike being back?”

“You knew about that too?” Xander asked.

“Just because you guys still think of my as a little kid doesn’t mean I actually am one.” Dawn told them exasperated. “Now where is Buffy? Have you managed to capture her yet?”

They all looked at the ground. “Do you even know where she is?” Dawn asked them.

“Somewhere with Spike probably.” Angel said sullenly from the other end of the table.

“Jealous much?” Dawn commented. She saw Xander smirk out of the corner of her eye. “At least if she’s with Spike we know she’s ok.”

“What makes you say that?” Gunn wanted to know. He had figured out by now that this intimidating young woman was Buffy’s sister and so far she seemed the most together of all of them.

“Spike would never do anything to hurt Buffy, he loves her too much.”

Angel snorted at the end of the table. “I’m sorry did you have something you wanted to say?” Dawn asked him coldly.

“No.” Angel sounded like a petulant child. “I was just thinking…”

“Sorry you already said no.” Dawn interrupted him. “Now does Spike live around here, or is there someplace he would take her to?”

“He has an apartment, but we don’t think he took her anywhere. We’re actually worried she did something to him.” Gunn said.

Dawn made a face at him and shook her head. “Have you even looked there yet?” She insisted.

“I don’t think we actually know where it is.” Gunn looked to Angel for confirmation of that.

“We don’t, but Lindsey does.”

“Well why don’t you get this ‘Lindsay’ to tell you where it is and we’ll actually go and try to find my sister instead of you guys sitting here trying desperately NOT to share information with each other.”

No one moved or spoke they all just looked at her. “What are you waiting for? Her to come and actually stake Angel this time?” She asked sharply.

“Well if you’re right and Spike is with her…” Xander began, and then thought about what he was saying. “Never mind.”

“Gunn, have Lorne find out where Spike’s apartment is and you and Xander go see if they are there.” Angel said, trying to act like he was still in charge of everything going on.

“Got it, boss.” Gunn said with a grin as he headed out. “Slayer’s sister is almost as scary as she is.” He mumbled quietly to Angel, who nodded.

“And if either one of you, gets the idea to chain my sister up like Faith is, you’ll see how scary I can be.” Dawn told them. They looked up surprised that she had heard them. “Now where is Giles I have some information that may prove useful in figuring out how this happened in the first place.”


Figuring before they got too far into things, they should address what happened to Buffy, Spike started there.

“What do you remember about the past couple of weeks?” He asked her.

“The last thing I remember clearly is being out with Donatello…”

“Donatello? What the hell was he? A Teenage Mutant Turtle?” Buffy shot him a glare.

“No, he…” She stopped. “Oh god, I killed him.”

“What?”

“When I woke up, and I was all different, I was having all these thought about how he wasn’t worthy of me. Then he woke up and he must have sensed my changes because he attacked me, and I killed him.”

“I just shouldn’t have boyfriends; all I ever do is scare them away or kill them.” She said miserably, she wasn’t that upset that he was gone, because she didn’t really care about him THAT much, but she did feel guilty for killing him.

“Or maybe you should choose fellas who aren’t scared off by the smallest thing and aren’t that easy to kill.”

Buffy looked at him from under lowered eyelids, almost coy like. Spike’s mouth twitched up in a smile, before he concentrated on the topic at hand. “What happened after that?”

Buffy concentrated. “Its really hard to pick out details. There was Slaying, but it wasn’t any fun. I kept thinking about the similarities between Donatello and Angel and then I was traveling. I didn’t stop at all until I got here and found Angel.” Her face paled. “Did I kill Angel’s girlfriend?” She asked him.

“Last I heard she was in a coma.” Buffy’s face fell. “But before you get yourself all worked up, she’s a werewolf, so I’m sure she’s harder to kill than you might think.”

Buffy still didn’t feel very good about that, but she went on anyway. “I tried again to kill Angel and that’s when the Slayers were waiting for me and that’s when I saw you.” She searched her memories for what happened next.

“Then I ran and you followed me. We were fighting in a warehouse and then…” Buffy’s eyes widened and her cheeks flushed a lovely red color. Her hand reached up to her neck and she brushed her fingers lightly across the bite marks there. She was surprised that she got the same feeling from touching those marks that she did when she was in his arms. She looked at Spike wonderingly. “I let you catch me.”

Spike took her hand and placed a kiss on her palm. “I wasn’t planning on biting you.” He said, “I was trying to get through to you, and then my demon took over and…” His voice lowered. “I didn’t mean to take advantage of you.”

Buffy looked at him surprised, but his head was lowered and he wouldn’t meet her eyes. “Spike, look at me. You didn’t take advantage of me, if anything I took advantage of you or my Slayer side did. What vamp was going to be able to resist a willing Slayer buffet?”

Spike gave her a weak smile.

“And name one other vampire who wouldn’t have drained me in the same situation?” She added.

“So what happened to make me become myself again?” She asked.

“I think it was when I drank from you.” Spike told her. “I think it changed me too.”

“What do you mean?”

“The whole enhanced senses thing, I’ve got it too now. Its a lot stronger than my normal vamp senses and I could feel the blood changing me.”

“Changing you? Into what?”

“I think these are questions for the ones in the research department, pet.”

“You’re probably right.”

They sat in silence for a few moments. It was a comfortable silence, but both of them were aware of all the unanswered questions still between them. Buffy broke the ice first.

“Why didn’t you want me to know you were back?” Her voice was hesitant.

”It wasn’t that I didn’t want you to know. I was just afraid. You were finally free of the whole destiny ‘Chosen One’ mess. I didn’t want to ruin that by showing up on your doorstep.”

“A call would have been nice.” She said in a cute little voice. “A postcard. SOMETHING!”

Then she had a thought. “Did Andrew know you were back?” She asked suspiciously.

“He found out when he came to take Dana.”

“That’s what he and Dawn were always whispering about I bet. That’s why Dawn always told me I should come see how Angel was doing!!! That little witch. I am so going to ground her when I get home.”

Spike tried to ignore the feeling of loss he felt when she talked about going home.

“All right. I’m not saying I’m not still mad, and I still reserve the right to kick your ass later, but tell what’s been going on here in LA.” Spike looked at her questioningly. “Well, I’m sure there has to be another reason you decided to hang out with Angel, other than your love to be annoying.” She said with a smile. Spike smiled back at her and leaned back on the couch. He felt a warm feeling spread inside him, when she leaned back and into him. He wrapped his arm around her and began to tell her about his unexpected reincarnation.

It was mid-afternoon by the time Spike finished up his tale. He had told her pretty much everything that had happened since he had been brought back. He left out the part about shagging Harmony and he also didn’t mention some of his saltier comments to Angel when they were fighting for the fake Chalice, but everything else had come out. Including the details of their trip to Rome.

“So the night I changed was the night you guys were in Rome?” Buffy said thoughtfully. “You didn’t have anything to do with it, did you?” Spike shot her a look. “I just had to ask.”

Again there was a silence.

“So this whole take down the evil law firm, is that working at all for you guys?” She asked him.

Spike sighed heavily. “I don’t know, honestly. I know I have to keep trying, though.”

Buffy nodded. “For Fred.” She stated.

“Yeah.”

“You cared about her a lot.” This was also a statement.

“I wasn’t chasing her or anything if that’s what you are thinking. She was Wes’ girl from the get go, she just didn’t know it for a while. She was my friend. She was the first person who really cared about what happened to me, she never judged me for things that happened before she knew me and she could also see right through my bull.” Buffy laughed. “I did see her once when she was in the shower, she did have a nice…” Buffy hit him in the chest. “Hey now!!” He protested.

“There will be no talk of other women naked, at least not while I’m practically sitting on your lap.” Buffy admonished.

Spike smiled pleased at her jealousy. “So what is this then?” Spike asked gesturing to the two of them.

Buffy grew serious. “I’m not sure. I guess I understand why you didn’t get in touch with me, but it still hurts.” She told him honestly. Spike waited for her to offer up some other excuse of why they wouldn’t be together, some other reason she had in place to protect herself.

“I was thinking I might stay in Los Angeles for a while, help you guys out with your apocalypse. You obviously need the help of a professional, and there really isn’t anything keeping me in Rome anymore.”

Spike’s entire face lit up, and then he had a thought. “Are you staying to help out, or are you staying to be closer to Peaches?” He asked her.

“Spike, in my most primitive state, I crossed about 8 countries to kill Angel. I think its safe to say I am completely over my Angel crush.”

“Don’t worry the whole wanting to kill him, is something you never really let go of.” Spike said. “So does that mean that you are going to give us a chance?” He wasn’t going to get his hopes up, really he wasn’t.

Buffy leaned in until their lips were almost touching. “I would say I already have.” She said softly. Their lips had just barely touched when they both sensed someone approaching the door. Both of them groaned knowing their alone time was now interrupted indefinitely.

Spike pulled away from her abruptly and stood up. Buffy looked at him surprised. “It’s the Whelp and Gunn. I’m sure you wouldn’t want them to get any ideas about what’s been going on here.”

“I’m sure me naked wearing nothing but your coat and you bite mark on my neck will explain what went on pretty clearly.” Buffy remarked as she stood up and threw open the door just before they knocked.

“I take you guys are here to take us back to Wolfram & Hart?” She greeted them.

“Buffy!!! You’re you again.” Xander said excitedly and grabbed her into a hug. When he let her go he noticed what she was wearing and not wearing. “Are you naked under there?” He asked.

Buffy shot him a look. “If you guys don’t mind could we stop and get some clothing for me? I really don’t want to have to face the firing squad in nothing but Spike’s coat.”

“I know a place that we can stop on the way.” Gunn said.

“Can we get some food too?” Buffy asked. “I don’t know when the last time I ate was.” Spike pulled on a shirt and put on his boots, then walked up beside Buffy. She grabbed his hand. “Ready?” She asked him.

“Let’s go face the music.”
House Of Cards by Kyra Storm
Chapter 8 House of Cards

When they reached Wolfram and Hart, Spike could feel Buffy’s nervousness. He knew she was worried about how her friends would treat her or what Angel was going to say about her attempt to kill him.

Spike was just happy that she hadn’t tried to hide their new understanding from the others, even when they stopped for clothes she hadn’t picked a shirt that would cover the bite marks on her neck and she slipped his coat back on over the T-shirt and jeans they purchased for her.

Spike had been shocked that Xander hadn’t made any comments about the fact Buffy had held onto his hand most of the way back. The whelp had even been somewhat nice to him, he still cracked the stupid jokes, but Spike could tell that it wasn’t malicious.

Buffy fidgeted with the coat the whole way up in the elevator, Spike put an arm around her trying to calm her down, but then he seemed to pick up on her nervous vibes and started fidgeting himself.

Even if the Whelp was being Ok with all of this he wasn’t stupid enough to think everyone else would be alright with it. The Watcher was probably going to have a coronary, if he was awake. Plus there was always Peaches to contend with. He believed Buffy when she said she was over him, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t influence her decisions.

“So did Angel’s girlfriend wake up, yet?” Buffy asked in a small voice.

“Not yet. I believe English and your Witch friend are researching a way to help her. They think if she transforms into a wolf she will be able to heal faster.” Gunn told her.

“I didn’t mean to hurt her.” Buffy said.

“Of course you didn’t Buffster.” Xander assured her. “We all know you weren’t in your right mind.”

“I doubt Angel is going to see it that way.” She muttered.

“I don’t know that is the thing that he’ll to be most upset about.” Xander said, looking directly at Spike. Buffy was still looking down so she didn’t notice them, but Spike got the message clearly. It only reinforced his nervousness.

“You mean the whole trying to kill him thing?”

“Pet, don’t let him worry you, his bark is worse than his bite these days.” Spike comforted her. If Angel dared to make Buffy feel bad or do anything else to upset her, Spike would kick him right out of the window.


The elevator opened and they stepped out. Buffy’s senses went off the chart from all the demons in the area. For a few seconds she fought for control as the Slayer side of her started struggling to be let out. Xander and Gunn both watched nervously as her eyes flickered between hazel and gold.

“Don’t fight it, luv. Just trust yourself.” Spike whispered in her ear. Buffy swore she felt a calming feeling radiating out from his hand, which rested on her lower back. She relaxed and let go of the hold she had on her power.

Everything suddenly changed, her already sharpened senses, increased again. Now she could hear conversations occurring behind closed doors down the hall. She knew exactly where every non-human creature on this floor was in an instant. She could almost see a ring around each of them based on their own internal power. However the Slayer didn’t feel the need to attack any of these creatures at this time. She could feel a dark energy lining the whole building, part of Wolfram & Hart’s power. It made her feel even more anxious. She didn’t like being here, but she hopefully wouldn’t have to stay long.

Slayer now pacified, that it had a chance to check out its surroundings, Buffy’s eyes resumed the hazel color.

She knew exactly where Angel and her friends were, the amount of power pouring from that room had called her attention to it like a magnet. The volume level was almost as overwhelming. She had heard several familiar voices yelling at each other. Giles and Angel were both yelling at each other over who was to blame for letting her get away. Dawn was telling them it was both of their faults.

“Sounds like the Bit is givin’ em the what for.” Buffy realized that Spike had changed when she did. She wondered if they were the same now that he was affected by her blood. She wondered what other changes they had left to discover.

“How did you know I’d be ok?” She asked him.

“Its just like being a vamp. If you give the demon some freedom, it has much less chance of overpowering you. The longer you have it and the more you work with it, instead of trying to control it, the more it becomes a part of you and adjusts to your nature.” Buffy looked at him in wonder, what he said made perfect sense. Was that why he wasn’t that much different with the soul? Not like Angel was at all.

“We all ok?” Gunn asked.

“Yeah, Charlie, we’re fine. Just experiencing a little adjustment period.” Spike told him.

Spike took Buffy’s hand and led her past them towards Angel’s office. Xander and Gunn fell in behind them and began to notice the voices that got louder as they approached the closed door.

“BUFFY?!?!” Harmony’s voice made Buffy stop short.

“Harmony? What are you doing here?” Her voice was angry and filled with suspicion. Why hadn’t Spike told her she was here?

“I’m Angel’s assistant.” She told her snottily.

“Really.” Buffy said shooting a look at Spike. “I didn’t know that.”

Harmony just gave a little laugh. “Oh please. There's no reason to be jealous, he was just using me as always.” She gave Spike a dirty look and stormed off.

Buffy’s eyes widened and she glared at Spike. They both opened their mouths at the same time, Buffy to yell and Spike to defend himself, but before they could start Xander interrupted.

“Guys, it sounds like there’s enough yelling going on right now. Could we maybe just go in and get this over with? Some of us would like to get some sleep some time this week.”

Buffy shut her mouth with a snap and tightened her lips. “Fine. We will talk about this later.”

“There really isn’t anything to talk about.” Spike told her.

“Is that why you didn’t tell me about it?” She snapped.

Just then the door to Angel’s office opened and the yelling exploded outwards. “This is getting us no where; I’m going outside wait for Xander…” Dawn said as she exited. She stopped when she realized Xander was in front of her. Her eyes immediately searched out and found her sister. “Buffy?”

Buffy’s face immediately lit up in a smile. “Dawn!” The sisters ran towards and hugged each other fiercely.

“I’m so glad you’re ok.” Dawn said.

“I’m ok. All part and parcel of the Slayer package undergoing an upgrade, I think.”

“Do you know why it happened?” Dawn asked as she let her go.

“I was hoping you guys could tell me.”

“Everyone in there is to busy playing politics with each other and bickering to worry about why this happened.” Dawn noticed the bite marks on her neck and the coat draped over her. She raised her eyebrows, causing Buffy to blush.

Dawn peered around her sister and spied Spike standing behind her. She stepped around Buffy so she was standing in front of him.

She was taller than he was now; obviously a capable young woman now. Spike couldn’t help but be proud of her.

“I told them you would take care of her.” She told him. Spike gave her a soft smile, but his eyes were focused on Buffy.

“Always.”

Dawn nodded, and then kicked him hard in the shins. “OW!!! What the hell?”

“That’s for not telling us you were back.” She said.

“And for not telling me YOU knew he was back, you are banned from closet indefinitely.” Buffy told her.

Dawn’s was about to argue with her sister, but just then Giles stepped out of the office.

“Good Lord Buffy!!” He gasped. He moved forward to hug her, but then stopped when he saw the bite marks on her neck. “Did he turn you?” He asked fearfully.

“WHAT!?! No.” Buffy told her Watcher. The others hearing Giles say her name rushed to the doorway. Suddenly everyone was surrounding her and asking questions at once. Willow hugged her repeatedly, while Giles was asking her about what happened.

And Buffy…Buffy just looked overwhelmed. “Guys!!” She yelled. “Can we go sit down and talk about all this?” She asked.

“Of course,” Giles agreed. “Maybe we should actually go someplace else to talk about this.”

“I think we have a right to get some answers too, Giles.” Angel said from behind him. Buffy looked at him nervously.

“This is a matter for the Watcher’s, Angel. I don’t see why you have a right to anything.” Giles told him.

“Its not like we’re talking about Homeland Security, here.” Buffy interjected. “Let’s just go in and go over this. Then I want to get some more rest.” She said, suddenly very tired.

“Buffy, I really don’t think this is wise…”

“Giles,” Buffy interrupted wearily. “They are on our side; we aren’t going to gain anything by fighting with people we should be working with.” With that she entered Angel’s office and took a seat on the couch in the room. Spike followed her in and stood behind her. She glanced up at him, she was still upset he hadn’t told her about Harmony, but she was still glad he was there with her. When everyone else had come back in and sat down, Buffy began.

“Ok. This is what I remember from the past couple of weeks. I don’t know how helpful it will be, though.”

An hour later, Buff had finished her tale and answered questions from both the Watcher’s. They were also questioning Spike; both had been fascinated about his role in bringing her back to herself. They also wanted to know all about their new powers. Angel said nothing the entire time; he just watched them with a cold, impassive stare. It made Buffy even more nervous. Illyria was also making her nervous. She recognized her somehow. Her power signature was very familiar to her demon, and it was demanding obedience from her.

“So do you guys know what happened?” Buffy finally asked her Watcher.

Giles looked uncomfortably towards Wesley first. “Oh, get over it Giles, spill.”

“Someone snuck into the Watcher’s Council and stole the scythe.”

”WHAT!!”

“We believe they used that to perform a spell to change you and Faith.”

“Do you know who did it?”

“No.”

Dawn interrupted. “While everyone else was running around like chickens with their heads cut off, I was investigating that. Does the name Ethan Rayne sound familiar?”

“Ethan!” Even Spike was impressed with the growl that came from Giles. “How do you know this Dawn?”

“Easy. I asked the Slayers who were there that day if anyone suspicious was around. They gave me a description and I figured the rest out from there.”

“I thought the government had Ethan.” Willow said.

“Well, either he escaped or they let him go.” Dawn said.

“That will be something we will have to look into.” Giles said thoughtfully. “Xander do you still have a number for Riley?”

”Yeah, I do. I’ll see what he knows.”

“Wesley, do you have any suggestions on where to start researching this?” Giles asked the younger man. The excitement they both felt over this new mystery overcame their mistrust of each other.

“Actually there are quite a few volumes that might contain this information. I would love to show you some other things they have here as well.”

“Giles? Is it ok if we get some rest? Some of us didn’t have the luxury of a twelve hour nap, like you.” Willow asked him.

“That’s quite all right, Willow.” Giles said distractedly as he left the room with Wesley, the promise of rare books capturing the focus of his attention.

“Buffy, we’re staying in the old hotel Angel used to live in, do want to come back there with us?”

Buffy looked at Spike. “Or do you have another place to stay?” Dawn asked knowingly.

“Guys, can I talk to Angel a minute?” Buffy asked.

“Um, sure.” Willow said, “We’ll just leave you two alone.”

Buffy didn’t have to look to know that Spike wasn’t happy with her request and Dawn was shooting her warning glances before she left the room. There was a long period of silence after everyone left while Buffy waited for Angel to start. When he didn’t say anything she realized he was going to make her start.

“Is your girlfriend any better?” She asked.

Angel raised an eyebrow at her. “Nina? She’s still in a coma.”

“Angel, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hurt her. I wasn’t even in control of what I was doing.” Buffy felt tears form in her eyes in her guilt over what she had done to the innocent woman.

Angel sighed. “I know. I know what its like to not have control over your demon, like that, remember?”

Buffy nodded remembering what Spike had told her.

“Spike told me about your upcoming apocalypse. I thought I might stick around and lend a hand.” She said.

Angel studied her for a minute. “We could use the help.” Angel admitted, “But I have to ask, what your relationship with Spike is now.” He added.

“Angel…”Buffy began.

“I’m not asking you from a jealousy perspective. I’m asking as a friend.”

Buffy sighed. “Well it isn’t like we’ve really had time to talk about it or anything, but I think we’re going to try it and see if we can make things work this time.”

“Do you really think that’s a good idea?”

Buffy shot him a warning look. “Don’t get mad at me for asking. I’m sure I won’t be the only one to question this relationship.”

“I don’t have to defend it to you.” She said stubbornly.

“I’m not asking you to, but there is something you need to know. Spike has always fought relentlessly for anything he ever wanted. The thing is he never wants it after he has it.”

”What do you mean? He spent over a hundred years with Drusilla.”

“Yeah, but Dru never loved him. Not the way she did me and he knew that. So he kept trying harder and harder to win his place in her heart.” Angel paused. “Did he tell you about the Shanshu Prophecy?”

“Yeah, and he told me about your fight for a cup of soda.”

“Did he tell you what he told me during the fight? Did he tell you what he said about how he was ‘putting it to you’?”

Buffy didn’t say anything. She wasn’t happy with him for phrasing it like that, but she knew he hated Angel for taking Drusilla from so she understood that he said it just piss him off.

“You know he used to write poetry?” Angel asked her changing topics suddenly.

“What?”

”Spike when Dru first turned him, she had found him in a barn crying his eyes out because some society girl didn’t like his poetry.”

“Angel, what are you getting at?”

“I’m just don’t want to see you hurt. I don’t want Spike to convince you he’s head over heels in love when really he’s just using you to get back at me from Drusilla.”

“Its not like that.” Buffy insisted.

“Isn’t it? Are you sure?” Angel asked.

“Then why didn’t he come find you as soon as he turned human? Why was he trying to get up Harmony’s skirt instead? Why did he wait until I wanted to track you down to decide to find you?”

Buffy didn’t say anything she didn’t want to believe Angel, Spike had stood by her before not because of Angel, but because of how he felt about her.

“I appreciate your concern Angel, but like I said nothing has been decided yet. We’re going to take things slow.”

“The marks on your neck don’t look like you’ve been taking things slow.” Buffy stiffened. “Just promise you’ll be careful ok?”

“I will.” Buffy didn’t like all the doubts she was now feeling. “So is it ok if I stay and help out?”

”We can always use the help.” Angel smiled at her.

“Ok. Is there anything I can do to help with Nina?”

“Wes and Willow are working on something that may help. I think we have it covered. Why don’t you go get some rest?”

Buffy turned and left his office. Spike was waiting across the lobby, of Willow and Dawn there was no sign.

“Where’s everyone else?” She asked as she approached.

“Red went to get a couple books from Wes to look over at the hotel. Nibblet went with her.” Spike looked at her closely; he noticed she wasn’t meeting his eyes. “Everything ok?”

“Yeah, I’m good. Ready for a nap though.”

“Do you want to come back to my place?” Spike asked, suddenly fearful of what her answer would be.

“I think I should probably go with Dawn and Will, I’m sure they would rather I stayed with them.”

“Do you want me to come with you?” Spike persisted, he knew he sounded weak and hated himself for it.

“There’s really no need. I’m sure we’ll be fine.” She answered lightly.

“What’s this, then?” Spike snapped at her. “I thought you were going to give this a shot.”

“And that means I have to stay by your side at all times?” Buffy snapped in response.

“What did he say to you?” Spike growled.

“Who?”

“Angel, the great love of yours.” Spike snapped.

“Nothing. Nothing I believed anyhow.” Buffy said defensively. “Look this has nothing to do with Angel. I just don’t want to rush into anything; I have enough to worry about with new powers, Ethan Rayne on the loose and now a new apocalypse.”

“So what are you saying?” Spike asked.

Buffy turned and looked away from him, but he grabbed her arm and spun her around. “Answer me!!” He almost yelled.

“Calm down.” She tried to hush him. “I just think maybe we should wait until all this is over before we start something. Now isn’t the time to be distracted.”

“Its always going to be something isn’t? Some reason you can’t even commit to TRY. Fine Slayer, have it your way. I won’t bother you again with this.”

Buffy felt her heart break as he walked away. She knew she had hurt him. She had also hurt herself, but she knew this was the right thing to do. She had to worry about her duty, that was the most important thing.

She didn’t notice Dawn walking up to her. “What did you do to upset Spike now?” She asked her.

“Nothing.”

”Really? Why don’t I believe that?”

“Look Dawn, I can’t worry about personal relationships right now. Spike just has to understand that. We’re still going to be friends; I mean I’m planning on staying here and helping them out. I just…”

“You just don’t want to get hurt ever again so you are going to shut yourself off from the possibility of love.” Dawn told her.

“That’s not it.” Buffy sighed. “Where’s Will? I’m beyond ready to get out of here.”

“The blue chick, Illyria cornered her. She asked her if they could have ‘girl talk’.”

Buffy frowned. What could that creature possibly know about girl talk, she wondered.

“You ladies need a ride back to the hotel or are you going back to Spike’s, Buffy?”

Dawn answered for her. “Buffy’s back in denial land Xander, she’s coming back to the hotel with us.”

“Ok.” Xander answered, not wanting to get involved in a Summer’s Sibling fight. “I can give you guys a ride.”

Buffy looked in the direction Spike had gone off in. She wanted to chase after him more than anything, but she knew she had done the right thing. She pushed aside her longing; she would make him understand they were going to do much better as friends.

“Can we stop for food first Xander? I’m starving.” She said as they got in the elevator. She didn't need Spike. She didn't need anyone, she was going to be fine on her own.
Plans Of Attack by Kyra Storm
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much for all the reviews, I know some people were upset with the last chapter, but I will begin to make up for it in this one.
“I think if you change these words here and call on Diana instead, before midnight, you may be able to avoid invoking any of the darker energies.” Willow was telling Wesley as they looked at a spell he found that would transform Nina into her wolf state.

“I don’t suppose you’d like to stay and help perform the incantation.”

Giles looked at her sharply from where he was sitting paging through a stack of books.

“Easy Giles.” Willow told him. “I know better.” She turned back to Wesley. “Sorry, I’m on Dark free magic diet.”

Wesley nodded. “Of course I understand.”

“No problem I don’t mind helping with the research part.”

“Giles, do you want me to look up anything for you while I’m back at the hotel?” Dawn asked him.

“Actually, yes I do.” Giles handed her several sheets of paper covered front and back with things for her to look up. “If I come up with anything else I’ll call you.”

“Gee, thanks.” Dawn said dryly.

Illyria entered the room and walked up to Willow. “I would like to speak with you, if I may.”

Wesley immediately noted the fact that Illyria asked Willow to speak with her. Illyria was not in the habit of asking for things.

Wesley felt he needed to warn Willow of Illyria’s possible ulterior motives. “I believe Illyria is interested in the impact the strength of your magical abilities has on your physical body.”

Illyria glared at Wesley. “I know of your suspicions, this is not about that.” She pointed at Willow. “I once considered this one a friend. I have a need to speak to another female of this species.”

“Harmony was also once your friend.” Wesley reminded her.

Illyria considered him blankly. “I cannot even dignify that statement with a response.” She said before she pulled Willow out of the room.

“Well at least she has more of a personality than Kennedy.” Dawn muttered. “I’m going to go find Xander and see if he can give me a ride back to the hotel.” She told Giles and Wesley before exiting the room.


Illyria had taken Willow down several hallways until they were in the room that she and Spike used to fight in. Willow was out of breath by the time they stopped.

“Ok,” She said panting. “What was it you wanted to talk to me about?” She was trying not to be nervous.

“I want to know where these emotions I keep having are coming from.”

”Excuse me?” Of all the things she thought the Blue woman was going to ask her this wasn’t it.

“These emotions I keep having, they should not be possible. I need you to find out where they are originating from and help me destroy them.”

“Um, I wouldn’t even know how to go about doing something like that.” Willow told her.

“You use your powers to go inside my mind, locate the emotions and their origination points and then get rid of them.”

“You don’t know how that would affect you.” Willow tried to reason with her.

“It does not matter, I do not need emotions to function and they are causing me distress.”

The door slammed open and Spike stormed in with murder in his eyes. “Good, you’re here.” He addressed Illyria. “Up for a workout, Blue?”

“I thought you and Buffy would have left by now, Spike.” Willow said surprised both at the fact he was still here and his anger. She was pretty sure that it had something to do with Buffy talking with Angel, but she hoped she was wrong.

Spike turned his glare on her. “Why would you think that, Red? She wouldn’t lower herself to go anywhere with me. Five minutes with Mr. Puppy Dog Eyes and she’s giving me some speech about ‘just being friends’ so we don’t ‘complicate things’ or some rot.” Spike turned and threw a punch at the wall, cracking the plaster. “Over him my arse.” He muttered.

“That can’t be right, she doesn’t love Angel anymore.” When she realized Spike wasn’t listening to her she grabbed his arm. “Spike, Buffy loves you.” He started laughing, bitterly. “She does.” Willow insisted. “Something must have scared her.” She added thoughtfully.

“I do not understand this.” Illyria interrupted. “She is your mate, why would she be afraid to be with you?”

“She’s not my mate.” Spike growled at her, at the same time Willow answered.

“Buffy isn’t good with her emotions. Big love usually means big hurt for her. So anytime, anyone manages to get too close, she runs away.” Willow looked at Spike sympathetically. “Hey! But she’s getting better; she agreed to be friends so she didn’t completely run away.” She tried to but a bright outlook on the situation, but Spike just looked at her like she suggested they go sunbathing.

“But he is her mate.” Illyria reiterated. “He would not hurt her, because that would be the same as hurting himself.”

“She isn’t my Mate.” Spike snapped. “I never claimed her.”

“Why would you need to claim her?” Illyria asked. “That is an action that would MAKE her your mate. She already belongs to you; there is no need for a claim.”

Spike stared at her dumbly. “It constantly amazes me your species managed to climb out of the primordial ooze.” She added at his look.

“A mate is someone whose essence is bound to yours; it is a very rare and powerful connection that has existed since the dawn of time. Many beings have tried to replicate the power of true mates, which would explain the act of ‘claiming’ you spoke of, but true mates have no need of such trappings.”

“And what makes you think Buffy and I have this connection?” Spike asked sullenly. “Because she sure as hell doesn’t seem to feel any overwhelming need to be with me.”

“That is because your human insecurities get in the way. I could clearly see when she was in her primitive state the lines that connected you. It was even stronger when we found you in the warehouse that is why I did not alert the others to your presence. I knew that their worries were unfounded.”

“So what does being mated mean or true mates?” Willow was fascinated.

“It means they are bound together for all eternity.” Illyria said. “Because of the powers both of them now possess there is probably some higher purpose intended for them, but even if there isn’t being mated will give them heightened senses of each other and neither one would be able to die without the other.”

“So Buffy and I are already mated?” Spike was still dumbstruck.

Illyria rolled her eyes in a gesture that almost made her look human. “YES!!” She said, she spoke as if she were talking to someone with reduced mental capabilities.

“Then why is it we don’t feel this connection.”

“Probably because she is too busy running from her emotions and you are too caught up in your own insecurities.” Illyria said.

“So she really loves me?” Spike asked, wonderingly.

“This conversation is getting repetitive.” Illyria grumbled. Willow shot her a look.

“Yes, she loves you.” She said soothingly.

“You should go to her and force her to accept her feelings.” Illyria advised him.

“Done that before, it didn’t work out too well.”

“So why don’t you go with the opposite approach this time?” Willow suggested.

Spike looked thoughtful. If Illyria was right and Buffy and he were meant to be together and she really did love him then that changed almost everything. All these years he had spent being the Big Bad trying to force her to accept the darkness in herself so she could then accept him, then getting a soul and trying to be a good man for her, when what he should have done was just be himself.

Granted he wasn’t the poetry spewing, innocent human, that Drusilla met all those years ago, but he also wasn’t the sick and twisted vicious killer Angelus was.

“Red, I have an idea, but I’m going to need some help.”

Willow smiled, “What can I do?” All she really wanted to do was go and get some sleep, but between Illyria and Spike that didn’t seem too likely.

Spike looked at Illyria. “Can you track Lorne down for me; I’m going to need him as well.


Buffy, Dawn and Xander sat down at a table in a small diner style restaurant, similar to the dive Buffy had worked in when she had run away to Los Angeles, all those years ago.

“I’m sorry we forgot to get you food before, Buffy.” Xander said to her. Buffy was lost in her thoughts, though and didn’t respond.

“Earth to Super Slayer.” Dawn waved her hand in front of Buffy’s face to get her attention.

“What?” Buffy’s eyes focused on them. “Sorry guys, I must just be worn out from everything that has happened the past few days.”

Even as she said it, she knew that wasn’t what was wrong with her. She missed Spike, it was almost as bad as right after he burnt up in the Hellmouth. She felt the loss of him almost physically.

It only made her more determined she had done the right thing. She hadn’t lied to Spike when she told him that it hadn’t been anything Angel said that changed her mind, because it wasn’t. What made her change her mind was talking to Angel and remembering the pain she went through because of him.

Then when he brought up Harmony and Spike, Buffy remembered the night she had witnessed Spike and Anya together.

Buffy’s feelings for the blonde vampire were far beyond anything she had ever felt for any of the other men in her life. She honestly didn’t think she could open herself up to him fully and ever hope to recover if he left her the way all the others did.

Buffy couldn’t delude herself with the fact that there’s might be a forever kind of relationship. She knew those were just fairy tales told to children.

It was much better for her and Spike just to be friends, that way he would always be in her life and she wouldn’t have to worry about losing him. She knew she had done the right thing and she hoped that he would stop being mad at her soon so they could actually work on the whole friends thing.

She just wanted the empty feeling inside her to go away.

“Buffy, do you know what you want?” Dawn’s voice pulled her from her musings. She almost slipped and answered ‘Spike’, before she realized that Dawn was talking about the menu. The waitress was staring at her expectantly, but Buffy hadn’t even read what they had to offer.

“I’ll just have a cheeseburger, fries and a coke.” She told the woman.

Dawn’s cell phone rang and she answered it.

“Hello.”

“Oh hey, what’s up?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Ok, so what do you want me to do?”

“No problem. Just let me know.”

“Bye.”

“Who was that?” Xander asked.

“It was Willow. They have a situation with a demon at some house up in Beverly Hills they want us to go check it out then.”

Buffy sighed. She just couldn’t catch a break.

“Do we have time to eat?” Xander asked, “Or do we need to rush out?”

“They aren’t sure of the situation right now; she’s going to call me back with the address and details.” Dawn said.

Buffy didn’t say anything; she looked out the window into the busy city night. She tried not to think about how safe she felt upon waking this morning or remember the day she spent with Spike just talking with him and being able to indulge in the luxury of touching him without guilt.

She knew she was doing the right thing.


They had just finished eating and were about to pay the bill when Dawn’s cell phone rang again.

“Hello.”

“Yeah.”

”Ok, give me the address.” Dawn took out a pen and wrote down the address on a napkin.

“Let me give you to Xander, you can give him the directions since he’s the driver guy.”

She handed the phone to Xander.

“Doesn’t Wolfram and Hart have anyone else who can take care of this?” Buffy asked irritably. She was feeling worse by the minute. She had never been someone who indulged in crying much, but right now she felt like she could dissolve into tears. The last thing she wanted to do was go out demon hunting tonight.

The Slayer side of her, which she had been studiously avoiding since giving Spike the brush off, was crawling around inside of her just waiting to get in some much needed violence. However, Buffy was afraid of what it would do if she let it out right now, she didn’t think she would be able to get it back under control. Spike made it seem so easy to work with the demon inside of her, but he didn’t tell her what she should do when what the demon wanted, in this case it was Spike, was in direct conflict with what she knew to be right.

“Evidently this is a very delicate matter and since we just opened up the lines of communications between ourselves and Angel’s group they figured we would be the best ones for the job.” Dawn told her. The entire time she was speaking Dawn kept her eyes focused on Xander. He had a confused look on his face as he listened to Willow, when he finally looked up and met Dawn’s eyes her warning look was enough to make him keep his mouth shut about anything he shouldn’t say.

After about five minutes of listening to Willow without saying anything Xander finally spoke. “Sounds ok to me. As long as you’re sure about all this, Will.” But his tone included Dawn in his statement.

Dawn looked worriedly at Buffy to see if she picked up on anything unusual going on, but she was once again lost in her own world of misery.

“Ok, we’re on our way.”



Lorne had just finished delivering all the items Spike had requested and getting them set up. Some of the things were completely understandable for a night of romance; candles, wine, massage oil, bubble bath. It was the other items that had Lorne questioning what was going on. There were a set of magically enhanced manacles that wouldn’t break or respond to magic no matter what the strength of the person being held. There was also the pair of Japanese style swords. The most worrisome item was the stake.

“I think that’s it.” He said to Spike. He paused for a moment to stare at the vampire. “I saw Sid and Nancy when it first came out you know. I hope you aren’t planning a reenactment with some of this stuff.”

Spike didn’t answer. “Just send the car back tomorrow at sundown and remember, no tells Peaches what’s going on.”

“You’re the boss; I just hope you know what you’re doing.” Lorne said before leaving.


Xander pulled up to the long driveway of the mansion, there were gates blocking the car from going the whole way up to the house.

“Whose place is this?” Buffy asked as she stared in awe at the impressive home.

“It belonged to some producer that sold their soul to Wolfram and Hart for a shot at fame. When the deal was up they repossessed the soul and the house. Its empty most of the time, but they use it occasionally for out of town clients. I guess one of them was a demon and now we need to get rid of it.”

“Ok.” Buffy got out of the car. “You guys wait here. I am in no mood for this tonight, so it should only take a few minutes.”

She headed off up the driveway, she never even thought about taking weapons.

About half way up the drive she heard the sound of Xander pulling the car away, she stopped and looked back confused, but then decided someone must have been coming up the road and they didn’t want to look like they were casing the joint. A familiar tingling inside her called her attention back to the house in front of her and she started moving towards it more quickly.

By the time she reached the door she was certain it was Spike she felt inside, his signature was as familiar to her as her own reflection. She couldn’t figure out what he was doing there. Had they also sent him in to take care of the demon? Was he inside hurt?

Then she tried to remember what she heard Dawn and Xander say when they talked to Willow, but all she could think of was how strange and stilted the conversations sounded when she thought back on them. At the time she was too caught up in her own thoughts to notice.

Then she thought about the way Dawn and Xander pulled away when she was half way up the drive.

Everything clicked into place. They all ganged up on her. They brought her here for Spike to make some gesture that would make her give in to her feelings for him. She shook her head angrily. He probably wanted to relive their first night together and have some ‘rough and tumble’.

She threw open the front door and stormed inside. She didn’t see any sign of him, so she used her senses to lead her up the stairs to him. She got a closed door at the end of a long hallway. She knew he was inside waiting for her.

She threw open the door, prepared to begin yelling. Instead she stopped cold.

“Oh my god.” She breathed. Every inch of the floor was covered with rose petals, their scent heavy in the air. Golden candlelight lit up the room from the fifty or more candles scattered around. The entire outside wall was windows that looked over the city below her. In the center of the room was a large bed covered with satin sheets and soft fluffy pillows.

Movement out of the corner of her eye caught her attention and her breath when she saw what it was.

In a corner, Spike sat in a chair watching her. He was wearing black leather pants that fit him way too perfectly for Buffy’s sensibilities and a black shirt with red metallic dragons embroidered on it. His hair wasn’t slicked back as it normally was, but left curly.

“Spike?” She asked breathlessly. He stood up and walked towards her fluidly, the look in his eyes and the way he moved almost had her knees buckling.

He walked right up to her and leaned down to whisper in her ear. “Hello Slayer.”


Willow raced into Wesley’s office, he was alone now, Giles had gone in search of a cup of tea at one of the restaurants close by.

“Willow is something wrong?”

“Um, I need to talk to you.” She said anxiously.

“What is it?” Wesley was concerned; he was hoping Illyria hadn’t done anything towards Willow.

“Its about Fred.”

Wesley immediately shut down, he didn’t want to talk about Fred, it hurt too much.

“Wesley, please. She’s not gone.” Wesley looked up at her.

“Yes, she is.” He said stiffly. “Fred is no more.”

“No she isn’t. Part of her is still inside Illyria. I know because I just saw her.”

Wesley almost passed out from shock.
Heart Of The Matter by Kyra Storm
Author's Notes:
Ok This probably isn't the chapter everyone was hoping for, but there were still some issues that needed to be worked out. Tomorrow, however....
It took all of Buffy’s will power to control the overpowering forces inside of her that were all screaming for one thing.

Spike.

Yet, still she resisted.

She called up the memories of sitting alone in Rome, night after night, mourning him. She couldn’t go through that again.

Steeling herself against him, she met his eyes coldly.

“What’s going on here, Spike?” She asked through gritted teeth.

He chuckled in her ear and then pulled back. He glided across the room and sat lounging on the bed. He looked positively sinful sitting there like that. Buffy licked her lips nervously, before remembering the promise she made to herself.

Spike knew it wasn’t going to be easy, but he had hoped. Such a stubborn bint, his Slayer, it was going to take much more to break down these walls of hers. Good thing he had just the right equipment to do it.

Now that he was aware of the connection, he knew Illyria was right. Buffy did belong to him, had always belonged to him. He told her once a long time ago that she was inside him, in his blood, but the years that followed and the dark turn their relationship took had him doubting his own instincts. Yet there it was, an unbreakable bond that was how he always could track her down, it wasn’t just a sense of smell, but a sense of her.

He gave her a slow grin. “Why pet, I just wanted to talk to you, that’s all.”

“Talk?” Buffy looked around. “First of all you could have talked to me earlier, but you wanted to storm off all angry like. Second, this doesn’t look like you wanted to talk, this looks like a seduction.” Her voice rose, with her anger. “And why did my friends and sister feel the need to lie to get me here?” She didn’t even give him time to answer. “You know, I don’t even want to know.” She turned around. “I’m out of here.”

Before she could walk through the open doorway, there was a rushing noise behind her. The door closed in her face and she found herself pressed up against it, with Spike’s lean frame pressed up against her. She took several deep shaking breaths, trying to get herself under control again, but each time she inhaled she could smell his signature scent and it made her want him more.

Tears rose up in her eyes as she fought with herself, refusing to give in and just melt into him. She was so tired, and the war going on inside her was taxing her even more. She swallowed thickly.

“Now are you going to be a good little Slayer and listen to what I have to say or am I going to have to chain you up?” Spike spoke in a low voice right next to her ear.

Anger flared up inside her, red hot. “I’d like to see you try.” She growled. Spike pushed away from her enough so she could turn around and look at him, well glare at him.

“Where’s the cattle prod and Dru? Are we expecting Harmony as well?” She shoved him hard away from her and spun around trying desperately to open the door. Unfortunately she found it locked and the doors were much heavier than she would have imagined, she could probably break them down, but it would take her more time than she wanted to spend.

“What’s the matter Slayer? Don’t you trust me?” His voice was farther away now and she knew without turning around he was lounging on that damn bed again.

Frustration rose up in her. Why was he doing this to her? Why was he pushing her like this? He had been so non-pushy the last year, taking his cues from her and just happy for anything she was willing to offer him. He had been a strong stable presence by her side. A friend. What had changed?

She turned slowly. “Spike, did you lose your soul?”

She watched him set his jaw, and she didn’t have to be close to him to know he was seriously pissed off by her question. “No.”

“Then why…”

“Why what? Why aren’t I doing what you ask like an obedient little puppy? Why aren’t I sitting back quietly while you bounce me back and forth like a rubber ball, AGAIN?” He stopped and got control over his anger. “I have a better question for you, pet. What is it you are so afraid of? Me?”

Buffy looked around the room for another exit, she saw a doorway in the far corner. She started moving towards it cautiously. “You wish.” She answered him.

“So then why is the Almighty, Supercharged Slayer panicked at the thought of being alone in a house with me?” He stood up and stalked over to her. He thrust something in her hands before taking his spot on the bed again.

She looked down in order to make sure that he had indeed just handed her a stake.

“Now you have the advantage. Now will you sit and have a chat with me?” Buffy didn’t move, just looked from him to the stake in her hands and back again.

“What still don’t trust me? Afraid I’ll, what? Bite you? Turn you?” Buffy still didn’t say anything. “Answer me!!” His voice was commanding, cold and deadly.

Shivers ran through her at his tone. She told herself they were just shivers of fear. What else would they be?

Spike stood up and moved towards her, she shrank away from him. “What are you afraid of?” He demanded. Buffy shook her head no; she felt the tears burning behind her eyes again. He didn’t let her get too far; he grabbed her shoulders and shook her roughly.

“Bloody hell, answer me!!”

“I can’t.” Buffy cried as the tears broke over her face.

Spike’s own heart almost broke at the sight; he had seen her upset before. He had even seen her with tears in her eyes before, but to see her openly sobbing like this tore at him. Yet he knew he couldn’t give in, not now, he needed her to face these fears, if her let her get away without doing that, when her walls went back up they would be twice as thick.

“Answer me!” He yelled.

“I can’t.” Buffy backed up against the wall and slid to the ground.

“Can’t what?” He badgered her.

Buffy shook her head no again. “Can’t what, Slayer?” He didn’t yell this time, however, his voice wasn’t any less frightening for the lack of volume.

“I can’t face losing you again.” She whispered, so softly he almost didn’t hear her even with his enhanced senses.

He immediately softened his stance; he dropped to the ground in front of her. He reached out gently and took her chin raising her eyes to meet his. He almost winced at the misery he saw there.

“When you were gone…” She paused for a hiccupping breath. “I didn’t want to live. I missed you so much and you weren’t there. You were always there and then you weren’t and I was all alone. And it hurt so much. If I let myself…” Another hiccup. “If I let myself, and you died again, I couldn’t. I just couldn’t. Please, Spike.” She dissolved into sobbing again.

“If you let yourself what, pet?” She didn’t answer or if she did it was swallowed by her sobs.

“Buffy do you love me?” She cried harder. “Buffy, do you?”

“Y-yes.” She said, she took a deep breath. “I love you. I love you so much, I…” More crying.

Spike let a gentle smile cross his face. He scooped her up in his arms; he walked with her across the room and gently set her down on the bed.

“You have nothing to worry about, Sweetheart, because I’m never going to leave your side. I promise.” She didn’t look like she believed him. “Have I ever broken my word to you?”

“No, but you didn’t come find me, and you told me I didn’t love you and there was the whole thing with Harmony.” Her tears were slowing down, now, but they still fell.

“Buffy Anne Summers, I love you more than anything else in the world and I swear to you right now, that I will never look at another female again, unless you want me to.” He said with an evil smirk, she rolled her eyes at him. “And I will never leave you again. You are my life, my love and my mate.”

“Your mate? You claimed me?” Buffy was confused.

“Turns out I didn’t have to.” Spike rested his hand on her chest above her heart, close your eyes, luv.”

She did as he requested. “Can you feel me there inside of you?” He asked her. For a second she couldn’t understand what he was talking about, and then she felt it. Deep inside her a feeling of love and comfort, unmistakably Spike. It had been there all along.

“I feel you.” She said, a bright smile broke across her face. “I feel your love.” She opened her eyes. “It’s the most wonderful thing I’ve every experienced.” She leaned forward to kiss him, but he stood up. “What are you doing?”

“Something I’ve wanted to do for a very long time.” He told her. “I need to get some things; I want you naked on that bed when I get back.” He walked out of the room through the doorway she had noticed earlier in the corner.

A shock of pure lust went through her. She sat up quickly and tore off her T-shirt before throwing off her shoes and then unbuttoning her pants and sliding them down over her legs. She lay back on the bed and thought about all the wonderful things Spike did to her when they were in bed together. She felt her sex swell and moisture begin to build up. She ran her hands down over her body, she cupped her breasts and let her fingers ghost over her nipples as she imagined it was his hands moving over her. She let one hand drift, running one finger up and down over her slit, spreading the moisture back and forth. Her eyes closed in pleasure as she waited for him to return to her.

A loud clanging noise had her eyes flying open in surprise.

Spike stood before her, his shirt now unbuttoned revealing his lean chest and abdomen. There was hunger in his gaze as he watched her lightly touch herself, but what caught her attention, causing a small amount of alarm, was the manacles and chains that he held.

“Do you trust me?” He asked her.



Wesley followed Willow into a room where Illyria paced nervously. As soon as he saw her his anger exploded.

“What kind of game are you playing at now?” He asked her. “You let Willow believe Fred is still alive inside of you.”

“I am not playing a game. I asked the witch to go inside my mind and find out where these emotions are coming from. She discovered Fred still within this shell. That should not be possible.”

“You told me Fred ceased to exist when you took over!” Wesley accused her.

“She should have. This should not be. I must have underestimated the human spirit.”

Wesley laughed; it was a very hysterical sound. “Indeed?”

“I want her terminated. I want to be free of these emotions.”

“Of course you do.” Wesley said still laughing. Weeks, months spent in mourning, trying to find a way to bring back the woman he loved and now they said she still survived inside this demon.

“Before we do that,” Willow broke in. “I want to take Wesley inside you mind so he can see for himself.”

“What good will that do?” Illyria asked.

“I just want him to see, maybe there is a way we can handle this without killing off Fred.” Willow tried to soothe her.

“Fine.” Illyria crouched down. Wesley looked at Willow questioningly. She motioned for him to lean down next to her. She took a hold of one of Illyria’s hands, and then grabbed one of Wesley’s in her other hand.

Willow closed her eyes and began to chant in a language that sounded to Wesley like ancient Sumerian.

There was some disorientation as the room began to spin. Then the world dropped away and Wesley felt himself begin to fall.

He was surrounded by darkness and fire; there were creatures that seemed to incorporeal energy beings around him. They were warring with each other, fighting for dominance.

((These are Illyria’s memories)) He heard Willow’s voice, relieved that she was still with him, her relaxed slightly.

Deep with in the blackness he saw a bright speck shining out in the darkness. Then he saw another, and another. There were maybe a dozen or more total. They reminded him of golden stars.

Willow guided him directly towards one of these bright specs, which grew bigger as they got closer. They reached the boundary of it before entering inside. He could feel the change immediately.

When they stopped Wesley was surprised to see what looked like Fred’s bedroom.

“Wesley.” Her excited voice made him stop cold. He didn’t say anything to her.

“What’s wrong? Aren’t you happy to see me?”

Wesley didn’t know what to do. She looked like Fred, acted like Fred, she even smelled like Fred. Yet he knew Illyria could imitate Fred well enough to fool even her own parents.

“Wesley, it’s me. Really.” She told him. Wesley looked deep into her eyes saw that it was indeed her. He pulled her into his arms and started crying.

“Oh god, Fred. I thought I lost you. I thought I failed you.”

“You didn’t fail anyone, silly.” She told him as she held him tightly.

Willow moved away a little bit to give them their privacy. After a few minutes Wesley got control over himself.

“This is wonderful, we can give you power and you can use it to fight her and take back control of you body.” He said excitedly.

“Wes…” Fred tried to get his attention.

“We can probably get help from Willow or maybe Rupert could help us find a spell.”

”Wesley!!” That got his attention. “We can’t do that. I’m sorry, but we can’t.”

”What do you mean ‘we can’t’? Of course we can. We can kick that demonic bitch back to the deep well.”

“No, we can’t.” Fred pulled him towards her bed and made him sit down next her. “It would be like Angel. He keeps fighting Angelus and pushing him down and Angelus uses that energy and when he gets out he is a nightmare. Crazy and sadistic. Can you imagine what Illyria would be like if we did that to her?”

“If I stay here and work with her, change her outlook on things. Influence her decisions, make her feel my emotions, and then eventually, our personalities will meld together. The way Spike and his demon did or like Buffy and her Slayer side.”

“You know about Buffy?” Wesley asked.

“I see everything Illyria does. I told you, I’m a part of her, just like she’s a part of me now.”

Wesley looked down.

“So what now? I just have to let you go again?”

“No. I’m right here, just a little different.” Wesley didn’t say anything. “It would help her accept me if you wouldn’t keep shutting her out.”

Wesley stood up. “Surely you don’t expect me to start dating her.” He asked outraged.

“No, of course not.” Fred reassured him. “But you could be a little nicer to her. Not blame her for what happened. Remember she didn’t choose who she was reborn into, that was Knox.”

“I miss you so much.” Fred stood up and kissed him lightly. “Look deep enough inside her and you’ll find me. Everything happens for a reason Wesley, remember that. And remember, I will always love you.”

“I love you, too, Fred.” He kissed her again, more desperately this time, knowing their time was almost up.

“We should go.” Willow’s voice interrupted them.

“Thank you, Willow.” Willow nodded sadly as she watched Wesley’s face.

Fred turned back to him before they could leave and hit him hard in the chest. “And you start eating and sleeping again. If I have to I will get Illyria to start force feeding you she threatened.”

Willow took Wesley’s hand wanting to leave on a lighter note.

“I love you, Wesley.” Fred called as they started moving backwards, towards the way they entered.

“I love you.” Wesley yelled back at her but by that time they had returned and were both crouched on the floor in front of Illyria again.

She looked at them both. “I take it you believe she is real now?” She asked Wesley.

Willow looked from one to the other. “I think I’ll just leave you two alone now.” She got up and walked out of the room, leaving them staring at each other.
Control by Kyra Storm
Author's Notes:
There is almost no plot in this chapter and no other characters except Buffy and Spike. The regularly scheduled plot should continue tomorrow
Buffy sat up quickly on the bed and drew her knees up to her chest nervously. Her first instinct was to get angry.

He was pushing her again? Why did he have to keep pushing her?

She opened her mouth to refuse, but stopped when she saw his face. He wasn’t cold and angry like he was before. He also wasn’t nurturing, the way he was before he left. He was just waiting.

She did trust him. She trusted him to have her back, to stay by her side, protect her family and friends. She even entrusted him with her heart.

But this wasn’t about trust, not really, and he knew that.

This was about control.

Hers.

Since becoming the Slayer, Buffy had learned she always had to be in control, always had to be alert, on guard.

It wasn’t the Slayer side that demanded this of her. It understood that no matter how good you were or how hard you fought there were always going to be losses. Buffy felt each loss, she used it as a constant reminder of what happened when she let go of her control and her emotions were involved. Had she killed Angel in the first place Jenny Calendar would still be alive. Had she reacted more quickly when she found her mother, tried CPR, her mother might still be alive.

She had to always maintain her control over emotions.

Now Spike wanted her to give up that control.

Give it to him.

Her heart wasn’t enough for him, he wanted all of her.

Did she trust him enough for that?

Her insecurities rose up inside of her. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. When she opened them again the turmoil was gone, there was some slight apprehension, but it was clear she had come to some sort of acceptance.

“I trust you.” Her voice sounded clear in steady, a direct contrast to the quick pounding of her heart.

Even though it had only taken her a few minutes to come to her decision, to Spike it felt like years. He watched her struggle and debate with herself, amazed that she had actually stopped to think about it, instead of refusing him outright. He knew he was pushing his luck to try this, but he had to know.

Buffy was already a part of him, she owned every bit of who he was, man or vamp, but she also held all the control. He would do anything for her and she knew that, this giving up of her control would allow them to be equals. It would prove she did trust him implicitly.

He’d had no idea what he was going to do if she said no, but never expected her to say yes.

The involuntary smile that spread across his face; warm, sweet and so honestly happy warmed her heart and eased her anxiety. The irony didn’t escape her that she just witnessed one of the most innocuous expression cross his face while he stood there looking lickably good with bondage items in his hands.

Her smile grew. That was Spike, all sorts of contradictions in one yummy package. She was positive now that her love for him was real. She could feel it inside of her as clearly as she could feel his love for her. It was tangible; the warmth she felt inside wasn’t just coming from her.

She licked her lips and looked up at him coquettishly. She released her knees and lay back on the bed. She resumed the light caresses and touches she had been engaged in before his return. “How did you want me?” She asked, her voice sweet and inviting.

His smile turned predatory. Buffy lowered her eyes in faux embarrassment.

“On your stomach.” She was still a little nervous, but did as he asked without hesitation. She felt him sit on the bed next to her. His proximity made every cell in her body stand up on edge. She waited with anticipation and dread for the sound of the chains, so she was surprised when she felt his cool hands caressing her back.

She began to relax again as his hands started working over her muscles. He kneaded and rubbed; releasing tension and easing out knots she didn’t know she had. She felt as if she were floating on a silky wave. She couldn’t help the little sighs and purrs of contentment that escaped her.

Spike worked his way down from her shoulders loosening the tight muscles as he went. When he reached her lower back, right about her waist, he pressed on a spot near her spine and was surprised at the moan the came out of her.

“Oh, god.”

“Not exactly.” He smiled. “Like that do you?” He moved his fingers farther out on her back and pressed again.

Another moan was his reward.

Buffy had officially turned into a puddle. Every time Spike pressed on those spots releasing the tension there she swore she could feel the blood rush down between her legs. It was like an erotic caress inside of her.

“I read somewhere these spots are called the Sea of Vitality.” Spike said conversationally. “Releasing tension here relieves depression and chronic fatigue.”

He kept his hands moving while he talked enjoying the music of her appreciative groans.

“Less with the talking and more with the rubbing.” She murmured into the sheets. He began to rub and knead these muscles harder, letting the noises escaping her guide his hands. Once he had loosened up all of the muscles in that area and almost worked her towards and orgasm he moved farther down her body. He caressed and rubbed deep on either side of her bottom, stimulating nerves there that ran the length of her legs. Then he ran his hands down both of her thighs to her feet drawing all the tension and nervous energy out of her body, leaving her feeling as lazy as a cat in a patch of sunlight.

“On your back now, luv.” He told her as he moved to help her roll over, since she could barely get up the energy to move herself.

She lay there in a pleasant daze, breathing slow and deep. For the first time in what seemed like forever, certainly since before she had to kill Angel, she was completely at ease and content.

The metal clinking of the chains didn’t even register in her mind until she felt the cold metal snap around an ankle and her leg was pulled down farther on the bed. She couldn’t see what he hooked the other end of the chain to.

She forced herself to remain relaxed as he repeated this on her other ankle and both of her wrists. She now laid spread out on the bed before him, securely restrained. She pulled on the chains a little bit to test their strength.

“They’re magically enhanced. They won’t break.” Spike told her as he climbed back up on the bed sitting down next to her. “And they are hooked in to metal rings on the floor that are set into concrete blocks.

Buffy’s breathing picked up as she fully realized that she was now completely at his mercy. She could feel the tension returning to her limbs.

Spike reacted quickly; he slid down the bed so he was next to her feet.

“Here now, none of that.” He began to massage and rub her feet; slow circles causing her relax slightly. He moved up her legs, still keeping the slow gentle pace he began on her back. His voice continued to soothe her.

“I’m not going to hurt you, love.” He chuckled deeply, a sound that sent shivers running through her. “Unless you want me to, of course.”

Her arousal began to return as his hands got farther and farther up her thighs. Just when he was about to reach her sex, he pulled back. He ran a feather light brush of a fingertip over her before continuing on to her sides.

“You have nothing to worry about, nothing to think about. Just relax and let go.” His voice hypnotized her and for a moment she believed he really did possess thrall, the way she got lost in his eyes. He ran his hands down her arms from her shoulders mimicking the movements he used on her legs. And again she could feel the tension being pulled out of her.

He rubbed her hands and fingers in such a way that had her wondering when hands became an erogenous zone as she fell deeper under his spell.

He caressed the sides of her body again; only this time when he worked his way upwards he grazed lightly over her nipples, before massaging her shoulders, kneading her muscles like bread.

She watched his face the entire time. She watched the hungry way he studied every inch of her, watching the way it moved or shivered under his masterful hands.

He moved his hands back down her chest and she tried to arch up so he would touch her breasts. He just pushed her back down.

“You be a good girl now. You can’t go anywhere. Just lay there and let me do what I’ve always wanted to...” His hands finally moved up to cup her breasts. “Worship your lovely body.” He finished.

The intent way he was staring at her breasts cupped in his grasp, combined with the sound of his voice, and the feeling of his fingers rolling her nipples had her breathing quickening.

He licked his lips and met her eyes. He watched the expressions cross her face as he pulled and tugged on her nipples. Gently at first then with increased pressure until a growl of pure lust erupted from her.

His smirk of pride sent another wave through her. She tried to move her arms wanting to pull him down for a kiss, only to be reminded of the fact she was shackled. Completely at his mercy. Only now that thought just increased her desire.

“Ah, ah, ah.” He said teasingly. He released her nipples and moved back down to her thighs again. His hands neared her sex and Buffy held her breath in anticipation and hope.

One finger between her legs slid along the edges of her lips and she exhaled at the feeling of the cool digit against her heated flesh. Back and forth it slid in her juices. Her head and eyes almost rolled up at the decadent rapture, but she didn’t want to stop watching him as he played with her.

He looked up at her. “Like that?” His finger slid a little deep and little farther as it continued its journey.

Buffy swore the pleasure was traveling throughout her entire body through the now relaxed muscles.

“How about this?” He asked her, before pushing his finger inside her about halfway. Her internal muscles immediately began clenching trying to hold him there and draw him in deeper.

“Shhh. None of that now.”

He began running the finger over her walls, exploring every inch of her, while watching her closely. Her eyes slid shut and she started whimpering completely lost in sensory overload. “Oh yeah, kitten likes it.” He purred.

Buffy had never experienced anything like what was happening to her. Usually by now she would have climaxed and they would be on to round three or four by now. This slow build up was taking her higher than she had ever been. Her entire body was racked with pleasure and as much as she wanted her release she knew she was at his mercy. All she could do was lay there and writhe and whimper for him.

Spike placed one hand on her stomach, his fingertips just grazing her bellybutton. He added another finger inside of her, pushing both all the way in. Once they were buried inside her, he resumed his careful exploration, which had her whimpering louder and louder. Her juices were overflowing, now leaking out and soaking the silk underneath her. The aroma surrounded him as he watched her; his hands almost began to shake as he took in the amazing goddess lying before him. The most wonderful moans and noises escaped her lips and she was tossing her head from side to side lost in ecstasy.

“That’s it, just let it all go.” He encouraged her.

One of his fingers rubbed a spot inside her and suddenly she stopped moving and her eyes flew open capturing his.

“What?” He asked innocently, rubbing over the spot again. Her eyes got wider.

“What do you want?” He teased her again, she bit her lip and her eyes took on a pleading look.

“Did you want something?” He couldn’t keep the triumph out of his voice. She had once told him she wasn’t the begging kind, and until right now he was inclined to believe her.

Now he was going to change that.

“What do you want?” He asked again as he teased her.

“Please.” She breathed. “Please, Spike.”

He put both fingers together and curled them both up rubbing at the sweet spot inside of her. His other hand, on her stomach, he pressed downwards as if his fingers could meet. He never stopped the slow and steady pace he started with, wanting to build her slowly to edge.

Even at the unhurried pace she began to reach her peak. He could feel her muscles clenching in anticipation.

Just before she fell he removed his hand. She cried out in disappointment. He slid it underneath her resting it near her waistline. He moved the hand on her stomach, farther down. Using his fingers to spread her lips and pull back the hood of her clit. Then he did nothing just watched her as she panted beneath him.

Her eyes were desperate now.


“Please, I need to...” Her voice trailed off as he began to press on her back, the same spots that she had enjoyed so much before.

“You need what?” He coaxed her.

“Mmmmm.” She moaned. “Ooooh, I need to cum. Please, baby, I need to cum.”

Without any more preambles his features shifted into his demonic visage. He pulled his hand out from under her and lowered his head. He ran the length of his roughened tongue over he clit at the same time he pushed both fingers back inside her. She toppled over the precipice with a scream. He pierced her upper thigh with his fangs and began drinking deeply as his fingers took up a rhythm inside of her and his other hand took over rubbing her clit, wanting to prolong her orgasm as long as possible.

Buffy completely lost all sense of self she had. She left everything behind, but the feelings of pleasure and the man giving them to her. She floated freely on a sea of bliss, the warm glow inside of her exploding over and over again.

After several minutes of unending rapture, she came back down to herself.

She should have sated, she should have fallen immediately into an exhausted sleep, but she didn’t.

She looked up at Spike, still in game face, above her watching her and she knew what she wanted.

“I want you inside me.” She told him her voice sounded hoarse from her cries. “I want your cock buried so deep inside me.”

Spike ripped the shirt from his body and began to unfasten his pants. He had a small amount of trouble getting the zipper down due the tightness in his groin, but he solved that problem by just ripping them open with snarl.

Before he buried himself inside of her he decided he had enough of the chains, he had gotten what he wanted and now he wanted to feel her arms and legs wrapped around him, surround him in her warmth.

He grabbed the key from his pants pocket and undid her ankles first. He leaned up to undo her wrists, when she captured him with her legs. He just barely got her free before she thrust herself up onto him.

She didn’t make a sound, but the look on her face almost caused him to lose it right then. He grabbed her chin opening her mouth wide, and then leaned down to trace her lips with his tongue; while he did this he timed his breathing so he inhaled every time she exhaled wanting any part of her essence inside of him.

They began to move in sync, writhing and straining trying to maximize the stimulation. Their eyes remained locked on each other, sharing breath as they clung together.

Buffy felt her climax coming and she knew it was going to blow the other one away. As she stared up into his golden eyes her own face shifted.

They struck at the same time.

Buffy felt the soft skin of his neck on her tongue right before he fangs pierced his vein. She swallowed the thick liquid that tasted like pure Spike. The taste of him combined with the feel of him sucking her own blood down set off her orgasm.

They both held the other tighter against them as they tried to bury themselves inside each other.

Buffy felt herself fly apart again, only this time instead of just being aware of Spike she was surrounded by him. She felt him throughout her being. His love and devotion carrying her even higher into paradise.


She wasn’t sure when she became aware of her body again. She felt Spike roll over taking her with him so she was draped over him like a blanket. She shivered slightly as cool air ran over her sweat soaked body. There was the feeling of silk covering her, but that was the last thing she was aware of, before drifting off into a deep sleep.
Oops by Kyra Storm
Author's Notes:
Updates on this story will probably slow down for a while. More like once or twice a week, while I work on Life Eternal, Legacy and Balance at the same time. Thank you for all your reviews.

The poem is by D.H. Lawrence.
She could feel the smile on her face even before she woke up; it had probably been there all night.

Surrounded by love, how could she not smile?

She raised her head to look up at Spike; her heart melted at the adorable picture he presented, eyes closed and face relaxed in sleep, looking so very innocent. His mouth was open and he was breathing, an unconscious action, she believed. His hair was tousled with wild curls everywhere and the most cherished sight, her bite mark on the side of his neck.

Regret threatened to appear when she thought about all the times she missed getting to see this side of him, but she pushed it down. She was determined to make things better this time around.

She could feel him still buried inside of her, he had softened during the night but with a slight ripple of her muscles she could feel him begin to harden once again.

She stretched her neck out until her mouth rested right near her marks. She blew hot breath lightly against him and watched his face as a smile crept across it. She features shifted and she gently sunk her fangs into his neck and began sipping lightly.

She never thought there would come a day, even if she were turned, where she would enjoy the taste of blood. Yet drinking from Spike wasn’t like drinking blood, there wasn’t any bitter coppery taste or anything, it tasted just like his skin, and it filled her with his love and adoration.

When she started rippling her muscles around his cock in time with her sips, a purring noise filled his chest. His hands moved, one to clutch the back of her head, holding her gently to him and one to grab a hold of hip seeking better purchase to thrust himself up into her.

“I want to wake up like this every morning.” He murmured.

She clamped down tightly with her teeth and muscles, causing him to erupt in a gentle climax with a growl. She pulled back from his neck and changed back into her human guise.

She raised her head up to meet his. He licked her lips clean of his blood before kissing her deeply.

He pulled back long enough to mutter. “G’morning” before diving back in for more kisses.

“Mmmmm.” Buffy murmured back to him.

He pulled back again. “Sorry, luv. Did you say something?”

She glared at him playfully. “Yes I did. I said…” She pulled him back towards her and started kissing him again.

Spike tightened his hold on her and just got lost in the decadent sensation of waking up with the woman he loved next to him and not having to watch her rush off in a desperate need to forget him.

Yes he could get used to this.

But would he have the chance? He knew he shouldn’t push her any further, but he had to know.

“So what happens now?” He tried to keep his voice noncommittal, as he waited for her to begin her usual dodging and avoiding.

“I was thinking somewhere along the lines of shower.” She grinned up at him impishly. “I wash your back, you wash mine?”

It wasn’t the answer he was hoping for, but still she didn’t seem to be in a hurry to get away from him. Maybe this time things would be different.

Hope bloomed inside him under the shining rays of her smile.

When he had been human, he had believed that those under the influence of love, deep and true, would actually glow. After he had been turned he began to understand better what people were hinting about when they used terms like ‘after glow’. It was all just poetic licensing that humans used to make things more magical than they really were. He had certainly never seen any evidence of such and occurrence, not even the sated, happy expressions on Dru and Darla’s faces after their encounter with the Immortal could really be called glowing.

All this ran through his mind as he looked down at her and he realized that she was actually glowing. Her eyes were so bright and shiny it was like there was a light behind them. He lips were soft, full and still wet from his kisses. And the sunlight caught in the blond hair that had tangled on top of her head from the physical activities of the night before.

She looked like an angel.

Spike took so long in responding, Buffy began to worry he had taken her gentle teasing as her usual skirting of the issue of them.

She raised one of her hands to brush across his forehead; she was about to reassure him when it happened.

He began to speak.

His voice alone, crisp clear, sounding remarkably like Giles or Wesley, had her attention right way.

Then the words sunk in.

Nothing could have prepared her for it. There is no way to prepare for one of the most powerful moments of your life.




“for what is the beloved?
She is that which I myself
Am not. In the act of love,
I am pure male, and she is
Pure female. She is she
And I am I, and clasped
Together with her I know
How perfectly I am not
Her, how utterly we are
Two, the light and the
Darkness, and how
Infinitely and eternally,
Not-to-be comprehended by
Either of us is the
Surpassing One we make.”


Silence echoed loudly in the room. Spike had a look of terror and horror on his face when he realized what he had just done. He looked at her face for her reaction. Dozens of excuses to explain his sudden poetry recital ran frantically through his mind.

For Buffy everything clicked into place. It was like all the pieces finally came together. She saw him, saw who he was suddenly, saw all of him.

‘I see with perfect clarity who you are.’

Before she had accepted that she loved him, and accepted that he loved her, but she hadn’t believed all of the myths about Mates and true love she had written off. Now she understood what it all meant.

“I love you so much and I am not ever leaving your side again, not even if the Powers, themselves, try to separate us.” The joy on his face made her laugh out loud. “You belong to me.”

Next thing she knew she was on her back with a hungry vampire attacking her lips with fervor.



Willow just wanted to sit down and cry. All she had wanted was to get some sleep, instead she had to play counselor for almost everyone in the building.

After she had left Wesley and Illyria, Angel had found her. He wanted to find Wesley so he could try to perform the spell to transform his girlfriend. Thinking Wesley and Illyria needed some time to themselves she tried to distract him.

Instead what had happened, and she blamed her tired brain on this one, was she wound up at the hospital performing the spell.

She winced as she tried to move and felt pain roll through her coming from the claw marks on her arms and chest.

Thinking things through enough to make sure Nina was secured before waking up her wolfie state would have been a really good idea.

“What in the hell were you thinking?!?” Giles was screaming at her. He had been for a while now. Of course Angel had been no help, he had fallen into one of his brooding spells when Nina escaped after he pulled her off Willow. Now there was a werewolf loose in Los Angeles, and there were currently thirty different Slayers patrolling here.

“I…” She tried again to say something, although what, she wasn’t sure. Anything to cause a break in the screaming.

“You weren’t thinking. I thought you said you’d stay away from the dark magics? What if you would have lost control? That would’ve been something else we’d have to worry about.”

All she wanted to do was cry, then sleep. Maybe she could have a bath. She could cry in the bath and then go to sleep. The pain medicine the doctors had given her was making her brain a little loopy at this point.

She could have used a healing spell on herself, but considering it was her own stupidity that caused this in the first place, it just didn’t seem right.

Giles sighed, finally noticing the exhaustion on her face and the tears hiding in her eyes. He was tired himself. “I’m going to take you back to the hotel, you need to get some sleep.”

It took all of Willow’s restraint not to yell ‘NO SHIT’. She knew it was just the exhaustion talking, though.

“I’ll have to get Buffy up, maybe she will have better senses to track Nina.”

Buffy.

Uh-oh.

“Um Giles, Buffy’s not at the hotel.”

Giles gave her a funny look. “Did she go to Spike’s after all?” He didn’t sound angry; maybe that was a good sign. She noticed Angel lifted his head, suddenly forgetting his fear for his ‘girlfriend’.

“No, they went off somewhere to be alone. We won’t be able to reach them until sundown.”

Given her current state, it was hard not giggle when Giles began to turn a bright purple color.

“Of all the bloody stupid things…” He stopped and glared at her. “Do you know where they are?”

“Nope, but the green guy does.”

“Green guy?” Giles asked her.

Willow nodded her head vigorously. “Yeppers. He’s greeeeen.” She was starting to like these pain pills. She didn’t feel so tired anymore and everything was so much more fun, even words.

“She means Lorne.” Angel said. “I’ll try to reach him.”

“That would be a good idea.”

“Do we know where Wesley is?” Giles asked. He was going to need help.

“He’s with Fred.” Willow sang out. Giles noticed she was making little sparkling butterflies with her magic, absently. “No. Illyria, who is Fred.” Another butterfly. “But is also Illyria.” Another butterfly. “Who is also Fred.”

“Willow, that will be enough, no more butterflies.”

Willow pouted. “Fine.” All the butterflies disappeared. “You are no fun.”

“Is there somewhere she can get some sleep?” Giles asked Angel wearily.

“Yeah, she can use my apartment.”

“I believe she needs it.”

Willow had fallen back in her chair and was singing “Bippity Boppity Boo”. Giles just shook his head.



“So now you will try to destroy me to help Fred.” Illyria stated.

Wesley shook his head and stood up. “No, I won’t.”

“But you won’t help me get rid of her either.”

Wesley shot a look at her. “No, I won’t do that either.”

“You want me to suffer, you want me to continue on feeling this pain every day. That is how you will punish me.” Illyria stood up and face him angrily.

Furious and uncaring at this point Wesley grabbed her shoulders roughly. “You think you are the only one in pain? You are supposed to sense the emotions of others and you can’t feel the pain I feel? Do you know what its like watching you walk around here, looking so much like her, but not her? Even when you were pretending to be her when her parents were here, I could tell you weren’t her.”

Illyria wouldn’t meet his eyes. “It is your pain that causes mine.” She whispered.

Wesley let her go. “Fred told me that everything happens for a reason. She said I needed to be nicer to you.”

“You are not doing such a good job of that.” Illyria muttered.

“No, I don’t suppose I am.” Wesley thought for a moment. Fred said to be nicer to her, more accepting, but what could he discuss with her.

“I would like to find something to eat.” He told her. “Would you join me?” Illyria looked curious.

“I do not eat.”

“I know that, but I thought perhaps we could talk.”

“What would we talk about?”

“You have spent so much time absorbing knowledge of our world, I thought maybe you could tell me about your time, your world.”

“We walked in rivers of blood…” Illyria began.

Wesley held up a hand to stop her.

“If you could wait until we sat down to eat.” He said. “And if you could edit out the graphic violence, anti-human monologues, and the blood lust, I would appreciate it.” He turned and began walking down the hallway.

“I would not know what else to tell you about.”

“I’m sure you’ll think of something.”


Buffy and Spike were just emerging from the bathroom, towels wrapped around them as they dried off.

“So you’re saying that if I had started spouting Nancy boy poetry years ago, we might have had a better run back then.”

“As opposed to the lovely line about ‘the only thing better than killing a Slayer…’” He looked embarrassed. “Yeah, poetry would have gotten you farther.” She said.

They returned to the bed. “Although honestly, I’m not sure there was anything you could have really done to break through the Buffy wall.” The towels were thrown to the floor as they wrapped themselves around each other. “You were right a bubble bath was much better than a shower.” Buffy added.

Neither spoke for a while, just enjoyed the feeling of being together.

“We need to talk about your closet space.” Buffy said.

“My what?” Spike asked irritated that she had interrupted his contemplation of where on her body was the softest skin.

“Your closet. Surely you don’t expect that tiny little space, even though there’s nothing in it, to hold all my clothes.” She reconsidered. “We’re probably going to have to find a bigger place, in a nicer neighborhood.”

Having her by his side for all eternity was something he was happy to accept. Her dragging three hundred pounds of clothing and shoes to everyplace they went was not.

“I didn’t think you wanted to stay in LA, pet.”

”I don’t necessarily, but since we’ll be here for a while.”

“But we don’t know how long that is.” He protested. “I would hate for you to drag everything over here and then we have to turn around and pack it all up again.”

She looked dubious.

He decided to try another tactic. “Think about Sunnydale. You couldn’t take all your shoes out before the city sank, could you? What if something like that happens here?”

”Hmm. You are probably right.” She thought for a moment. “I’ll just have to get new pairs of clothes for while I’m here.”

Defeated Spike gave in. “We’ll start looking for another place tonight.” He promised. Then he had a thought.

“How are we going to pay for it?”

Buffy eyes widened and she turned her head to look at him more directly. “Don’t you get paid by Wolfram and Hart?”

“No, I could have m’own place at the firm, but I don’t want to stay there. Do you?”

“A world of no.”

“Don’t you get paid by the Watchers?”

“Not really. They pay for our apartment in Rome in exchange for me training girls a couple of times a week, but I’ve been working in a restaurant to supplement.”

They thought for a moment. “I think its time we started getting paid for this ‘Save the World’ gig.” Spike said.

“Agreed.”

There was the sound of a car pulling up the driveway.

“Are you expecting someone?” Buffy asked him.

“No.”

They heard doors slam and both could feel the presence of several demons.

“Several someones.” Spike said.

The front door opened.

“Why is the door unlocked?” A rough voice bellowed.

“I didn’t leave it unlocked.” Another voice, higher in tone answered.

“Spike, who owns this house, really?”

“I don’t know. I asked Lorne to find us someplace we could be alone without any interruptions from Scoobies, Watchers, or Peaches.”

Loud stomping noises were heard and then someone started turning the doorknob. Buffy and Spike flew out of bed and began throwing on their clothes.

“So you don’t know what’s on the other side of that door?”

“Not a clue, pet.” Spike ran over to the pile of things he asked Lorne for, he picked up the swords and threw one to her.

“And you were planning on doing what with these?” She asked.

He gave her and impatient look. “I thought we might get some fighting in later.”

Buffy admired the sword. “Cool.”

“Who’s in there?” The voice alone shook the door, and then the pounding began.

“Do your plans ever end well?” She asked him.

“Ha, bloody, ha, Slayer.” He answered.

Just then the door broke open to reveal two very large and obviously very angry demons.

“Half breeds!” One yelled.

“Ahhh!!” The other screamed. “They had intercourse on our bed.” It wailed.

“This is all just a misunderstanding.” Buffy tried to tell them.

With a loud roar the first one attacked.
The Trouble WIth Angel by Kyra Storm
Chapter 13: The Trouble with Angels

Lorne drove up to the gate slowly, he didn’t want to have to go up to the house and interrupt the couple, but it wasn’t like they really gave him a choice.

‘Sheesh.’ He thought to himself. ‘Try to do something nice for people and all it gets you is screamed at by everyone you know.’

Not like anyone had taken the time to explain to him what he did that was so wrong, or why they needed Spike and Buffy back right away.

No, he was just the errand boy, the stooge.

He gave a deep sigh and started up the long driveway

He was getting really tired of all of this. He missed the good old days when he was just a club owner. He really just wasn’t cut out for this line of work.

“Oh! Sweet, merciful Cher!” He exclaimed when he reached the house and saw a limo in the driveway. He quickly got out of the car and rushed inside to find absolute chaos.

There was a female demon running around spraying air deodorizer through the air screaming. “My house, they defiled my house.” She never let go of the release nozzle on the can. “Dirty, nasty humans, leaving secretions and flakes of epidermal layer in my house!!”

She managed to spray the deodorizer right in his face as she ran by him. He began coughing and his eyes started to burn and water.

She didn’t even seem to notice the other large demon who just rolled down the stairs.

The demon who was now at the base of the staircase was only down momentarily before standing back up and running right back up the stairs.

“What the bloody hell do you mean ‘don’t hurt him.’” Spike stood at the top of the stairs yelling over his shoulder so he wasn’t prepared when the demon tackled him. There was the sound of a struggle and then the demon rolled back down the stairs. “Have you noticed he seems pretty damned determined to hurt me?”

Buffy came running out. “I’m just saying if we are breaking and entering we can’t kill him.”

“So what do you want me to do then, just keep playing this game until he wears…OOF!” The demon had come back up the stairs and tackled Spike again. Buffy stepped forward quickly and grabbed one of the demons horns and used it to lift his head.

“Excuse me, Mr. Demon Sir. We didn’t really know that anyone lived here. You see a friend of ours told us no one lived here and we could use the house, we would have never, um, never used it if we knew it belonged to someone.” The demon reached out to claw at her. “Hey now!!”

The female demon ran towards Lorne again, it appeared her can had now run out of juice, but she still wouldn’t let it go.

Lorne reached out and grabbed it from her causing her to stop and look at him in surprise. “The environment is pleading with you to give it a rest.” He told her.

There was a loud crash as her husband fell back down the stairs. “Uh, guys, I think I can explain.” Lorne yelled loudly. Everything stopped and everyone turned to look at him.

Uh-oh.

They all rushed him yelling at him loudly.

“Wolfram and Hart was supposed to be taking care of our house not using it for a den of pleasure!!” The demon at the bottom of the stairs growled, slowly moving to him.

“What the hell were you thinking leaving us here?” Spike demanded as he raced down the stairs.

“Its all dirty, now.” The female demon screamed in his face and grabbed the empty can back from him. “I must make it clean again.”

She ran off again, frantically, leaving Lorne to face the two angry males. Buffy was slowly making her way down the stairs carrying their things she had gathered and two swords.

“…I put my trust in that firm…”

“…one hell of a wake up call…”

“…after a long trip to find…”

“…not expecting to be used as a tackling dummy…”

“I do not allow lesser beings in my house!!” The demon grabbed Spike by the shoulders, surprising him, and threw him out the open front door into the sunlight. Lorne gasped in fear.

“Spike!!” Buffy ran down the stairs and out the door, shoving the demon out of her way. Lorne followed after her.

Spike was on the ground a few feet from the door and rolling around trying to find shade and stand and run all at the same time. Buffy was by his side in an instant and she was the first to notice it.

“Oh my god.” She said.
“Well that’s something you don’t see every day.” Lorne said in shock.

Spike wasn’t smoking at all; he didn’t seem to be reacting at all.

Spike finally noticed that he didn’t smell anything burning; he stopped panicking and looked up. The first thing he saw was Buffy kneeling next to him in the sun, smiling brightly.

He forgot the miracle that was allowing him to even be in the sunlight, instead mesmerized by how beautiful she looked.

“Is it the Shanshu?” Lorne’s voice broke his gaze.

“What would shampoo have to do with anything?” Buffy asked confused.

Behind them the door slammed shut. They could still hear the female inside.

“Dirty, its all ruined, now.”

”Helen, shut up.” The male screamed.



Riding back in the car Spike insisted on having all the windows open so he could enjoy the sunlight more. The green demon was hoping he would forget about the incident at the house in light of the new developments, but there was no such luck.

“So you want to tell what was going on back there?” Spike growled at him.

“Um, I must have gotten my houses mixed up. That was the one we were watching for the Bolcof demons.”

“Brilliant.” Spike snapped.

Buffy laughed, she hadn’t stopped smiling since she realized he wasn’t burning. She wrapped her arms around his neck and nuzzled him. He immediately let go of his anger and wrapped one arm around her waist.

“Come on, Spike. This is US. It’s always going to be something. We’re lucky we had as much time as we did.”

“You’re right, kitten. Still a couple more hours would have been nice.” As he said this Spike was reminded that Lorne wasn’t supposed to be back for them until sunset.

“Why were you here so early, mate?”

“Well, the thing is…” He began and then hesitated. Spike groaned.

“Just spit it out.”

“There’s some trouble back at the office.”

Buffy laughed again. “See.” She said in triumph. Spike rolled his eyes.


The offices of Wolfram and Hart were almost as chaotic as the house they just left. Everywhere people were running around frantically. Dawn walked up to them as soon as they got off the elevator.

“Ok here’s the situation. Angel and Willow turned Angel’s woman into a werewolf, without restraining her first. Not too smart. Willow got scratched up pretty bad, but she’s ok. She’s out cold thanks to some good drugs. The girl got away and is currently munching on the citizens of Los Angeles. We think someone else has taken advantage of this and released a bunch of other demons with similar MO’s to confuse us.” They crossed the lobby over to Angel’s offices.

“We don’t think it’s the firm.” Dawn continued on. “They seem as upset about the unwanted attention as we are. There have been 25 deaths, so far, that we know about. More keep coming in every few minutes.” The walked past Harmony, who was sitting at her desk, she was just hanging up the phone. She opened up her mouth to say something but before she had the chance, Buffy, nonchalantly lashed out and punched her in the face. Spike stopped short. Dawn looked over, but didn’t even pause.

“Wolfram and Hart have their security teams, the elite non-human kind, out searching the sewers. Two teams have gone missing and another we know was destroyed.” She said. “Nice one, by the way.” She added as she opened the doors to Angel’s office.

Spike looked down at Harmony, in shock. Lorne patted him on the back. “She may have some jealousy issues you should look into.” He told him seriously. Spike just looked over at him in disbelief.

“Are you kidding me? She’s bloody perfect.” He hurried to catch up to the Summers sisters.

“He is a vampire.” Lorne said to himself. He looked inside at all the commotion going on inside Angel’s off, he just didn’t feel like dealing with it right now. He looked at Harmony, still unconscious on the floor and sighed. “I don’t know about you Harm, but I think a stiff drink is in order.”

Inside the office Dawn was still debriefing Buffy and Spike. Angel was on his phone at his desk.

“We have six police officers that look like they were put in a washing machine, on spin cycle, with a case of razor blades.” Gunn could be heard over the speakerphone.

“We have sent out some Slayers, no reports have come back yet. We lost contact with one team about an hour ago.” Dawn said. “Oh! And there haven’t been any sightings yet of either Nina or the other creatures. So how was your evening?” She asked with a smile as she finished up.

Just then Giles walked in. He noticed Buffy right away. “How nice of you to join us.” He said snidely.

“Did I mention Giles is pretty peeved at everyone right now?” Dawn asked.

“Um no.” Buffy glared at her sister.

Spike sensed a presence and cringed. “SPIKE!” He didn’t turn around, hoping it would go away. Then he felt arms wrap tightly around him and a head lay against his back.

“I’ve missed you.” Andrew sighed.

“Spike, did I tell you Andrew was looking for you?” Dawn asked innocently.

She followed Giles over to Angel’s desk.

Spike looked at Buffy. “I’m not loving the vibe in here right now. What’s say we do what we do best?”

“Spike, we can’t do that right now. People are dying!!” Buffy said exasperated.

“Not that. I meant go out and track down one of these beasties. Give some of these new skills we have a real challenge, a real hunt.” Spike leered at her. “But I must say, you are right, that is what we do best.”

Buffy turned pink with embarrassment, but smiled up at him happily. Spike grinned back at her.

He didn’t think the novelty of her showing this easygoing affectionate side to him would ever go away. He had always known this was a side of her, but he had never really had much opportunity to be around it.
He moved forward to kiss her, suddenly needing to feel her lips, when he realized that Andrew was still wrapped around him.

“Andrew let go of me before I rip off your arms.” He growled.

“Oh sorry, did I wrinkle the jacket.” Andrew said letting go. “Is that a new jacket? It isn’t as soft as the old one.” He complained.

Buffy’s smile widened.

“How the hell can there be this many grizzly deaths, but no one’s seen anything?” Angel yelled into the phone.

“I don’t know, but so far no one has seen anything and lived to tell about it.” Gunn’s voice was scared through the intercom. “Word from above is the senior partners are about to get serious about this if we don’t do something soon. They don’t like people working their territory with notice.”

“Wonderful. The last thing we need is an underworld war.” Giles muttered.

“We need to get out there, Spike.” Buffy said.

“Agreed.” They turned to leave, but of course Angel picked that moment to notice them.

“Where are you two going now? Off for another love-in?” Angel snapped at them.

Spike turned around. “Back off.” He warned. Spike really didn’t want to have to put him in his place.

Well, really he did, but he didn’t think Buffy would appreciate it.

“Don’t tell me to back off.” Angel left his desk, leaving Dawn and Giles to talk to Gunn. “I’m not the one who ran off for a quickie while people were dying.”

“Oh don’t pin this on us, I heard you caused this trying to fix Nina.” Spike stepped up to the larger vampire. “Who would wake a werewolf, and not restrain them?”

“I didn’t know she was going to wake up like that!” Angel defended himself.

“Willow could have been seriously hurt, Angel.” Buffy stepped up next to Spike.

“I don’t even want to talk to you right now.” Angel said to her.

“Well, you aren’t going to talk to her like that.” Spike growled.

“Excuse me?” Buffy said to Angel at the same time. “What do you have to be mad at me for?”

Angel turned on her in a fury. “What do I have to mad at you for?” He yelled. “Well let’s see. How about trying to kill me? How about almost killing my girlfriend? How about moving in and not even having the courtesy to let me know first? How about the fact that you were supposed to be my salvation?” His voice got louder with every answer.

“Uh, is everything ok there?” Gunn asked over the speaker.

“Yes, some children just need to work out their petty differences.” Giles answered him, throwing them a glare.

“Everything I have done for the past five years has been for you.” Angel continued, his voice lower, but the intensity still as high. “So we could be together. So I can be good enough to Shanshu.”

“Why does everyone keep talking about shampoo?” Buffy yelled.

“Shanshu, luv.” Spike answered her. “It’s a prophecy that says a vampire with a soul will turn human.”

“But you aren’t human, are you?” Buffy was confused, Lorne had said that Spike had done that, but he wasn’t human. “You can just go out during the day now.” She said.

“What?” Angel whipped his head around to look at Spike.

Spike shrugged, but couldn’t help the gloating look on his face. “That’s right. Yours truly can sun bathe now.”

Angel turned back to Buffy. “What was that speech about cookie dough for? Why even bother letting me think I had a chance? I mean first the Immortal, now this?”

Buffy felt bad, she did lead him on when they were in Sunnydale. She didn’t mean to, she just wanted to avoid the drama their relationship talks usually brought up and telling him she didn’t want him anymore but she was in love with Spike definitely would have caused drama.

“Angel, I’m sorry.”

Angel started laughing, it sounded very bitter. “You know what, just forget it. You threw away the future we might have had, just so you could be with someone who could fuck you? I don’t need you.”

Spike didn’t think, his arm flew on its on to strike Angel for his words, but his fist met with air. Buffy had beaten him to it and punched Angel across the room. Giles and Dawn looked up in surprise.

“Did I forget to mention that Angel’s had serious ‘tude since you guys were found to be gone?” Dawn asked innocently.

“Give us the address of the last known sighting, Dawn. Its time we got to work.” Buffy said.

“Past time, some might say.” Giles muttered.

Buffy shook her head. ‘Oh surprise. Its going to be a day.’ She thought.

Spike squeezed her shoulders, rubbing them slowly.

‘A great day.’ She amended in her mind.
Little Chaos to Spice Up Life by Kyra Storm
Buffy and Spike exited the law firm on the street level, deciding to walk instead of taking one of the company cars.

Even though a car would probably be quicker, Buffy knew Spike was enjoying the novelty of being outside during the day. She couldn’t object to that. Not when she saw how happy and excited he was.

It was really nice to be able to walk down the street holding his hand in the warm afternoon. If she didn’t think about the fact they were going off to hunt demons who were ripping people apart, or that they were also searching for a werewolf who happened to be her ex-boyfriends current girlfriend, she could almost pretend they were just a normal couple.

Of course she was beginning to realize the whole normal thing was vastly overrated. She didn’t see too many ‘normal’ people who took the time to enjoy their lives. Most were too caught up in the day-to-day grind to really appreciate what they had.

None of them seemed particularly happy.

She looked over at Spike and grinned.

At least not as happy as she was now.

It didn’t matter what her life was going to be like. She wasn’t alone anymore. Even being a Super Slayer wasn’t so bad with Spike next to her sharing it.

Feeling her eyes on him he looked over at her and smiled.

“Have I told you how beautiful you look in sunlight?” He asked before kissing her lightly.

“Hmmm.” She beamed up at him when he pulled back from her. “Not in the last fifteen minutes or so.”

“I’m slipping up then.”

Her smile brightened even further at his words. She could definitely get used to this.

They both looked around, scanning the area carefully.

Occasionally a passerby on the side walk would stop and do a double take, certain they had just seen glowing eyes on one or both of them, but when they looked again they would realize that it must have just been a trick of the light.

“Nothing?” Buffy asked.

“Nothing.” Spike confirmed.

They moved farther down the street to the next block.

“So what’s the deal with the Shanpoo thingy?” Buffy asked.

“Oh, its just some nonsense. Its about a vampire with a soul, who saves the world, and gets to be human.”

Buffy stopped in her tracks. “WHAT?!?”

Spike stopped, but didn’t seem to notice the extent of her distress as he scanned the area they were in. “Yeah, that’s what has Peaches so bent out of shape. He’s afraid I came back to take his prophecy from him.”

“And you were going to tell me about this when?” Buffy demanded, all but yelling at him.

Spike finally realized something wasn’t right and turned to face her. “What the hell is wrong with you?” He asked, bristling under her tone and the anger he now was acutely aware of.

“Gee, I wonder. You give this big speech about us being together forever and mated and all that, but you forgot to mention that forever might only be until you become a human!!” She stormed off down the street.

“What?” Spike said confused. Wouldn’t that be something she wanted?

“Wait a minute!” He yelled and ran after her, grabbing her arm to slow her down. “I thought you would be a happy if I became human.”

”Right, because I’m such a normal girl these days!”

“I don’t even think the stupid thing was written about me. Angel is the Champion, not me.”

“Really? Which part doesn’t apply to you?” Buffy finally stopped trying to get away and turned to face him again. “Let’s see. Soul? Check. Saved the world? Check. Vampire?”

“Not much of a vampire anymore, am I, pet?” Spike interrupted her gently.

“Yeah, well what if the Powers decide you are? I mean look at the alternative.” She said referring to Angel.

Spike couldn’t help but laugh.

“Oh that nice. Just laugh at me. What do I care?” Spike grabbed her and kissed her soundly.

“You are adorable, that’s what I was laughing at. I love that you are worried about losing me, but you don’t have to.” He brushed a small piece of hair that had fallen out of her ponytail off her face. “Do you honestly think I’d let a little issue of mortality come between us?”

“You let being a ghost come between us.” Buffy insisted, unwilling to let him just brush this aside.

Spike sighed, and then he felt something. He and Buffy looked at each other.

“Werewolf.” They said at the same time.

People started to run past them screaming in fear. Next thing they knew a werewolf ran past them, bleeding profusely from numerous cuts running across it. They couldn’t tell whether it was chasing the people or running from whatever had hurt it, but they didn’t waste any time, just ran after it.


Illyria and Wesley sat at a booth in a small diner next to the large window, where they had been most of the night talking.

Illyria had explained to him at great length her world and the atmosphere of the time she lived in. It was strange for her to describe these things to him, because he would ask her questions about things she never paid much attention to, like the lives the lesser beings had or how things came to be the way they were. Things she had always just taken for granted as the way things were. He made her see her previous life differently from the way she had always seen it.

They had also talked about human emotions and concepts such as humor, love, and friendship.

This led into a conversation about Fred.

It was difficult for Wesley, at first, to hear her talk about Fred’s feelings and memories, having seen them in Fred’s own mind. Yet, even though she had first hand knowledge of all these things that didn’t mean she truly comprehended what they meant and this made it easier. Wesley spent a great deal of time explaining to her why it took so long for he and Fred to actually admit their feelings and get together. He found himself having to explain human insecurities and frailties to her.

“Why do humans make things so complicated?” Illyria was asking him.

“Something specific you are referring to or just in general?” He answered with a smile. It didn’t even feel odd to enjoy a conversation with her anymore and he no longer felt the gut wrenching guilt for it either.

She opened her mouth to answer him when the sound of screaming stopped her. They both looked out the window and watched as a large group of people went running past the diner, followed by a werewolf.

“I wonder if Angel decided to try the spell on Nina without us?” Wesley asked dryly.

“The one you choose as your leader is really not an intelligent being.” Illyria told him. “You are aware of this fact, are you not?”

Wesley sighed. “He does have his moments.”

They saw Buffy and Spike run by obviously chasing after Nina.

“Was that Spike?” Wesley asked

“It appeared to be.”

“Perhaps we should see if we could lend a hand.” Wesley pulled out his phone, which he had turned off when they got to the diner. “Eighteen missed calls. I wonder what that’s about?” He commented.

Illyria considered him as they stood up.

“And this dry way of speaking you are doing is called ‘British Wit’?”

“Yes, we also have a fascination with men in drag, for example Monty Python or the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Its something the African American culture has also picked up on.”

“That is the reason behind those films ‘White Girls’ and ‘Juwanna Mann’ that Gunn is so fond of?” Referring to the night she spent with Gunn, when he decided she needed to learn about humor.

“Yes, I’m afraid so.” Wesley left a tip and they went off in the direction Spike and Buffy headed towards.



After Buffy and Spike left, it took a while before Giles could get Angel to return his attention to the situation at hand. Personally, Giles wanted nothing more than to follow Buffy’s example and knock him across the room, but given what was going on, they didn’t have time for those theatrics.

Giles had never really cared for Angel, even before he lost his soul and killed Jenny. He never liked the way he seemed to cling to Buffy and her calling, as if she were the vehicle that could grant him salvation, instead of relying on his own actions. When Angel left her, Giles had been pleased her separated himself, but he was furious at the self-righteous way Angel did it, not to mention the stalking missions he engaged in after he left.

Even though he was upset with Buffy right now for choosing to spend her life with a vampire, Giles was actually a little relieved that she chose Spike over Angel. In his opinion, if she had to spend her life with one of them, Spike would treat her better than Angel ever could hope to.

“Gunn, do you have anything new for us?” Angel asked into the phone.

“Man, people are pouring into the ER down here. Still no confirmed sightings of what’s doing this.” He sighed. “Of course its hard to question someone yelling in pain. It just chaos down here.”

Giles sat up straight and his eyes narrowed.

Chaos.

Of course.

He stood up to leave.

“What is it?” Angel asked him.

Giles glared at him. “I’m going after the cause of this mess.”

“I didn’t think we knew what that was.” Dawn said confused.

“I do now.” Giles began to look around for his brief case and took off his jacket. “This stunt screams of Ethan.” Unable to find his briefcase Giles yelled for Andrew.

“Andrew, I’ll need my things now.” When he didn’t get a response Giles looked around perplexed. “I say. Does anyone have any idea where Andrew ran off to?”

“I bet I can guess.” Dawn answered.



Buffy and Spike finally managed to catch up with Nina and corral her into a dead end alley, but now they weren’t sure what to do with her.

“Don’t suppose you brought anything to knock her out with?” Buffy asked him.

“Do you see a weapon on me anyplace?” He asked her sarcastically.

“Look, just because you got caught keeping secrets from me is no reason to be a pissy jerk.” She snapped.

“I’m not pissy because of that, I’m pissy…” Spike realized at that moment, only children and women who had their monthlies got pissy. “Er, angry.” He corrected himself. “I’m angry you don’t have any faith in me.”

“Its kind of hard when you didn’t even bother to tell me you were back!!” Buffy started yelling again, turning her attention away from the injured werewolf to face Spike fully.

Spike threw his hands in the air and turned towards her. “Just how long are you planning on holding onto to that? Huh?” Nina studied them both, making sure they were both ignoring her. Spike continued. “Because I’d like to know now if I’m going to have to hear about this for the next century.”

“You don’t have to worry, you’ll probably be dead of old age by then Mr. Human Guy!!”

Deciding that both of them were completely unaware of her now, Nina decided to attack.

“Bloody Hell! You really are the most stubborn, insufferable bint!”

Nina leapt into the air, claws and fangs bared.

Wesley and Illyria turned the corner.

“Behind you!!” Wesley shouted once he realized the situation.

Buffy and Spike looked towards him, then up at Nina about to land on them, but by that time, they couldn’t even move out of the way.

Suddenly, Nina let out a yelp and fell straight down, missing Buffy and Spike by centimeters. Everyone looked towards the opposite side of the alley and saw Andrew standing there with a tranquilizer gun.

“I know you guys had that under control, but I thought I would help out anyway.” Andrew said.


Several minutes later Wesley was on the phone with Angel, being screamed at while the others secured Nina with the chains Andrew had thought to bring along with him.

“If you’d just listen for a moment…” Wesley tried to say.

Even though they were a good distance away everyone could hear Angel screaming.

“…Been calling you all night…”

“I was otherwise…”Wesley tried again.

“…People were dying, Nina is missing…”

Spike stood up and grabbed the phone from Wesley.

“Would you quit you damn belly aching!! We have your girly. Percy, Blue and Giles Jr. are heading back now with her. If you can focus on the innocent people dying instead of your control freak issue, is there any word on the other demons?”

It was Dawn who answered. “Giles thinks Ethan Rayne is behind all this.” Buffy stepped closer to Spike to better hear her sister, since she was talking much lower than Angel. “He went out after him a while ago.”

“Oh that just brilliant.” Spike sighed and glared at Buffy.

“I didn’t tell him to go out.” She said defensively.

“He wonders where you get it from.” Spike responded. “Any idea where he headed Bit?” He said into the phone.

“No, he said he needed to find the source of the chaos.”

“Is Nina all right?” Angel asked anxiously.

“She has some nasty looking scrapes, but otherwise she seems to be ok.” Spike wrapped an arm around Buffy, happy that she was by his side instead of like Nina. “Slayer and I are gonna go after Rupert, make sure he’s not in over his head. Here’s Percy, back.”

Spike handed the phone back Wesley.

He pulled Buffy closer to him and pressed a kiss to her forehead, all their earlier disagreements forgotten as she allowed herself to find some comfort in his embrace. “Don’t worry, luv. We’ll find Rupert. He’ll be ok. You’ll see.”

She nodded and pulled back looking determined. “If he’s not, Ethan is going to have a very painful experience.”

“That’s my girl.” Spike paused. “Any thoughts on where the source of Chaos might be?”

Buffy looked blank. “In LA?” Her forehead scrunched up as she thought. “The WB studios?” She offered. “Maybe Fox?”

“Actually, I’m willing to bet its someplace close to the hospital. That way he can utilize most of the energy created from the chaos, plus most of the attacks form a circle away from that point.” Andrew said from his position inches away from them. Spike looked over at him sideway and forced a smile.

“Thank you Andrew.”

“No problem.”

“Don’t suppose you want to give us some space?” Spike asked sweetly.

”Actually I was thinking that we should hurry up and get moving, Mr. Giles has quite the lead on us and we don’t want anything to happen to him.”

“What do you mean ‘we’, Andrew?” Buffy asked exasperated. “You are not going anywhere but back with Nina and Wesley.”

“They already left and you don’t want me to wander around out here by myself, do you? What if I get caught by one of those demons?”

Buffy looked over and realized Andrew was right they had indeed gone and left him there.

“Remind me to get them for this.” Buffy told Spike.

“It will be a joint effort.”

“Guys, hurry up, lets go.” Andrew called them already halfway down the block.

“Can we use him as bait?” Spike asked.

“I’m surprisingly ok with that.” Buffy answered as they followed behind him
A Father's Wrath by Kyra Storm
Author's Notes:
I got permission to stay late at work and get some writing done. I am still without electric, for another week at least. I'll try to come in tomorrow and update Legacy. Thanks for the patience and all the nice e-mails and reviews. I promise once I get moved updates will come regularly again.
“I mean, I’m not saying you owe me for saving your lives or anything.” Andrew was saying.

Spike jerked the wheel of the Council’s van to make a hard right and Andrew flew across the back of the fan into the side.

“Maybe I should put on my seatbelt.” Andrew muttered to himself.

“I definitely sense some sort of power up ahead.” Buffy told Spike, as they both ignored Andrew.

“Cool.” Andrew leaned forward in between the two front seats. “Is that one of your new super powers?” He asked excitedly.

Then he looked up ahead. “Red light.” He told them.

Buffy put her hand in front of his face and pushed him back in the back. “Safety first.” She chirped. “Better put on you seat belt.”

“Red light.” Andrew said again pointing up between them.

“And quit distracting the driver.” Spike barked. There was a red light up ahead, but instead of slowing down Spike pressed his foot down on the gas pedal.

“Red light.” Andrew almost yelled this time.

Spike jerked around two cars that were waiting for the light to change. They flew through the intersection and narrowly avoiding two more cars and a floral delivery van.

Once they were on the other side of the intersection and back on their side of the road, Spike began to laugh like a maniac. “Doesn’t it just make you feel alive, luv?” He yelled at Buffy and turned up the radio. Buffy just rolled her eyes and shook her head at him.

Andrew looked through the back windows, dazed.

“Red light.” He said again before collapsing in a heap.


As they drove onward towards the center of the city, Spike’s driving continued to be reckless. Andrew had finally stopped saying red light, but appeared to still be in shock because of the way he was curled up in the back.

On the bright side, he hadn’t spoken at all in the past five minutes.

Just after passing the hospital, Buffy felt a strong tingling feeling inside of her. “Spike.” She said wanting to alert her mate to what she was sensing, but Spike obviously felt it too. He jerked on the emergency brake and the van spun around one hundred and eighty degrees.

Behind them Andrew began to throw up at the sudden movement.

“Oh BLOODY HELL!” Spike yelled as the smell of vomit filled the air. He quickly pulled the van over to the sidewalk and he and Buffy jumped out.

Spike lit up a cigarette, trying to get the disgusting scent out of his nose. Even Buffy leaned close to him wanting to clear the noxious odor out of her sinuses.

After regaining their equilibrium the looked up at the tall building in front of them.

“Do you feel the power coming from inside?” Buffy asked.

“Yeah.” Spike answered. “I also feel a demonic presence, a strong demonic presence.”

“Do you recognize it at all?” Buffy asked him.

Spike concentrated for a few seconds. “No, I’ve never come across anything like it before.” He said with a frown.

“Cool, something new to kill.” Buffy said with enthusiasm.

The sliding door to the van opened up and Andrew lurched out. “Ok, I’m ready you guys.” He looked up at the building. “Is this where we’re going?”

“No.” Spike said firmly. “Buffy and I are going in. You, however, are going to be staying right here and cleaning up the mess in the back.”

“But what if you need me?” Andrew gasped out, hurt.

“Need you to what, Andrew?” Spike turned and demanded angrily. “Need you to scream like a girl or hurl up what may be left of your lunch? What can you do to help? You can’t fight and I don’t think a tranquilizer gun is going to work on a demon that has been terrorizing people all over this city.”

“I could…” Andrew began.

“You could…” Spike cut him off. “You could distract us by getting yourself into trouble and needing us to bail you out. Or maybe you can use your deadly projectile vomiting power. You will be more trouble than you are worth.” He pushed him back into the van and shut the door before Andrew could say anything else.

Without another word he turned and stormed into the office building without a backwards glance. Buffy looked nervously at the window that now had Andrew’s tear stained face pressed against it before hurrying after Spike.

She caught up with him right inside the front door, immediately noticing the quiet, darkness that encased the entire building. They both moved forward cautiously. Both of them were using all their demonic senses to search out any demons or nasties hiding in the dark.

“Don’t you think you were kind of hard on him?” Buffy whispered.

Spike didn’t answer her, pretending he was too caught up in hunting this demon that was terrorizing the city.

“I know he reminds you of how you used to be.” She said, quietly.

Spike stopped, but he didn’t turn around. “I sense the power coming from up above us, but the demons signature seems to be below.” He sniffed the air. “I can also smell the Watcher’s cologne, he’s been here recently.”

Buffy reached out and grabbed his elbow. “Spike.” She said.

He whirled to face her furiously, eyes glowing gold. “What do you want me to say, Buffy?” He demanded.

She just stared at him as he ran his hand through his hair frustrated. “Ok, so maybe I was a little hard on him, but it’s for his own good. He had no business being out in the field like this. He would get himself killed.”

“I know, but still…”

”How many times have has he been told about sneaking out to follow me and yet every time I turn around there he is.”

“Spike, its ok.” Buffy soothed him. She could feel how bad he felt for the way he talked to Andrew and she could also sense that he had said what he had out of concern for Andrew’s safety. “You have to remember, though, that he isn’t you.” She said, gently. Spike glared at her for bringing up the similarities between his human self and Andrew. “He knows what’s out here and the reason he follows after you like he does is because he looks up to you.”

“Fine, I’ll take him out for a bloody ice cream when this is over, ok?” Spike snarled and turned back around, missing Buffy’s knowing grin. “Now what do you want to tangle with first? The unknown demon or the warlock your Watcher is after?”

“I vote demon. That way there won’t be any unexpected surprises when we go up to face Ethan.”
Spike nodded and the headed across the lobby of the building and down the stairs to the lower levels.


Andrew sat outside in the car, tears pouring down his face. He couldn’t believe Spike thought he was so worthless. Didn’t saving them count for anything with him?

Andrew knew he was still just a nerd in their eyes, but he had thought he was much better than he had been. He was a full member of the Watcher’s Council now and had even taken out quite a few demons on his own. Well on his own with some help from the younger Slayers.

Andrew sniffled and then scrunched up his nose at the smell of his puke in the back. He looked through the van for something to clean it up with, but didn’t see anything. He moved farther to the back and happened to glance out the window and notice something moving outside towards the office building. He stopped and stared at it curiously.

It was the size of a large rat and the same color. The only difference was it was completely round and it rolled on the ground instead of walking. Andrew watched as it traveled up to the doors of the building and pushed open the doors and went inside. Several more appeared and also headed towards the office building.

Suddenly, Andrew remembered, a passage he read in one of the books about a certain type of demon. Andrew began to search frantically through the van, looking for his briefcase, amidst the clutter.

Of course he found it under a pile of his spew, he tried to dump most of the liquid off before opening it. He threw the papers on the top out of the briefcase at random, before he found what he was looking for.

Most women kept a whistle on their key chain in case they ran into trouble at night alone. Andrew kept an air horn on him. He grabbed it along with the two back ups he also had and threw open the sliding door on the van.

He hesitated for a moment remembering Spike’s words, but then he shook off his hesitation. They had no idea what they were up against and he was the only one who could save them.

Andrew got out of the van and ran inside after the furry round balls.


Buffy and Spike descended lower into the building, the farther down they went the more they began to doubt their senses. While they still felt the demon ahead of them, they also felt it behind them, and around them. Yet they still hadn’t caught sight of it.

“Are we on a wild goose chase?” Buffy wondered.

“Something ripped into Angel’s woman.” Spike said.

“True, but why is it hiding from us?” She asked.

“Maybe it knows it’s going to get its arse kicked.” Spike said with a grin.

Just then there was movement up ahead of them. They both squinted their glowing eyes into the dark corner.

“Was that a rat?” Buffy whispered fearfully.

Spike turned incredulously. “Tell me a little rat doesn’t scare you.”

Buffy got defensive. “It doesn’t scare me, it just squicks me out.”

”Come Vampire Slayer, I’m sure there are worse things down her than rats.” Spike told her.

“Jerk.” Buffy muttered.

There was more movement off to their left, the both stopped and turned towards it, but again it moved to fast for them.

“Bloody hell.” Spike muttered. “Why don’t you show yourself?!” Spike yelled into the darkness.

Buffy spun around, seeing something moving out of the corner of her eye. The feeling from the demon was much stronger now and it seemed to surround them.

Suddenly the room they were in lit up and they both cringed at the sudden flood of light. When their eyes adjusted to the brightness they looked up and saw a single ball of brown fur in the middle of the room.

“What the hell is that?” Spike asked.

The ball seemed to grow short two-inch legs that it stood up on. Two tiny arms extended out of the fur with inch long claws on the end. It didn’t seem to have any eyes that they could see.

“Are we being attacked by a Furby?” Buffy wondered.

The little ball leaped into the air as high as her head, moving faster than they thought possible. Buffy moved out of the way just in time to miss a claw to one of her eyes.

“Crazy little bugger.” Spike yelled as he followed its flight though the air.

It had barely landed before it immediately jumped up again, this time coming for Spike, who managed to catch it in mid air with his hands. He squeezed it and a green blood ran out of it as it died.

“Well that wasn’t so hard.” He said.

“No, but this might be.” Buffy said. He looked and saw that surrounding them in a circle almost ten feet deep were nothing but more of the little furry creatures.

“I don’t know if we can hold them all off.” Buffy said.

“We won’t know until we try.” Spike said, desperately trying to keep the anxiety out of his voice. The stood back-to-back, moving slowly in a circle, while they waited for the creatures to attack.

“I love you.” Buffy told him. “I’m sorry I got mad at you earlier.”

“I love you, too pet. And don’t worry about it, one of the things I love most about you is your stubborn anger.”

“Jerk.” She said with affection.

A shiver seemed to run through the creatures collectively and as one the all leapt onto the vampire and Slayer.


Andrew ran down the stairs as fast as he could. He was hoping he remembered correctly that these demons preferred dark and damp places low to the ground as opposed to anything high up and bright. The farther down her went the darker it got. He reached in his pocket for his Mag-lite Flashlight and illuminated the hallway. He hoped he wasn’t too late to help Buffy and Spike.

They were covered from head to toe with the creatures. Most of their clothing was ripped and blood poured from the cuts all over them. Spike could smell the Buffy’s blood in the air and it fueled him to fight harder even though he knew it was useless. There was just too many of them. Every time he managed to get hold of one and kill it, ten more took its place. Pretty soon neither one of them would have any skin left.

He felt Buffy fall behind him. He tried to turn to help her, but then one of the creatures managed to cut one of the tendons in his leg and he also fell to the floor. He reached out his hand desperately, but felt nothing. He threw another one of the furry bastards off him and reached out again. This time he felt his way through the fur and managed to grab onto Buffy’s arm and pull her towards him. He wrapped his arms around her, as they both pushed the creatures out from between them. Her face was covered in blood, but her eyes stared into his without fear and full of love.

They both knew this was it, there was no way out for them.


A loud noise filled the room, it made Spike’s jaw ache, but it also seemed to hurt the creatures because they suddenly dropped to the ground shivering uncontrollably. The noise doubled in intensity, then tripled. Spike and Buffy both put their hands over their ears to block out the noise.

The creatures started to explode around them.

The noise went on and on, until every last one of the creatures had blown apart, then it died down and everything was quiet.

Spike and Buffy looked towards the doorway they had come through in shock and awe.

There stood Andrew, looking larger than life with Air Horns in his hands.

Spike couldn’t help it he broke into a relieved laugh. He and Buffy helped each other up and staggered over to the doorway. Spike looked Andrew in the eyes.

“Thanks mate. You saved our lives.” He told him sincerely. Andrew beamed with pride.

“How did you know how to kill them?” Buffy asked him breathlessly.

“They were Tribulamara demons.”

“Uh-huh.” Spike said.

“They were the inspiration behind the ‘Trouble with Tribbles’ episode on Star Trek.” Andrew explained further as he put one arm around Buffy and helped them get to the staircase. “I found them in one of Giles old books and that’s also when I discovered one of the writers for the original Star Trek series used to be a Watcher. That’s why so many of the aliens on there resembled some type of demon.”

“Of course he was.” Spike said as he stared up the dark staircase wearily. “I don’t think we can make it up all those stairs.”

“There’s an elevator behind you.” Andrew pointed out.

The three limped to the elevator doors. “Let’s just hope it works.” Buffy muttered.

“Either way, we aren’t in too good of shape to take on a warlock.” Spike said.

“I think I can help with that, too.” Andrew said, after pushing the button to go up. They were all surprised and relieved when the lights lit up and the elevator began to descend. “I know a simple healing spell that should close up most of those wounds.”

Spike looked at him impressed. “Seems like I underestimated you.” He said apologetically.

There was a ding as the elevator doors opened and the light from inside lit up the dark area they were standing in. They made their way into the car where Buffy and Spike slumped down onto the floor, leaving Andrew to punch the button.

“That’s ok. Even you are allowed to be wrong once in a while.” Andrew said.

Buffy snorted loudly.

“Once in a while.” She muttered disbelievingly.

“Hey now.” Spike said to her offended. She offered him a smile and he returned it with love.

Spike leaned forward and began to carefully lick the blood from her face, similar to a cat. Buffy sighed and leaned closer to him. Andrew knew he should be grossed out by what he was seeing, but instead he found the close tenderness they shared between them endearing and he watched with a supportive smile on his face as Spike cleaned all the blood from her face taking her face between his hands and kissing her lightly. She smiled at him lovingly.

“Hey you.” She said.

Andrew began to chant behind them and they both turned, as the sound of his voice grew louder. A green light surrounded them and they both felt themselves infused with energy and an itchy feeling as their wounds began to heal knit themselves up. By the time the elevator dinged to mark their arrival on the main floor both of them felt on hundred percent better.

“This is my stop.” Andrew said. “I’m going to wait down here and make sure none of the Tribulamara demons try to sneak up behind you.”

Spike and Buffy both looked at him with appreciation. Impulsively, Buffy leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek.

“Thanks, Andrew. We owe you our lives.” She said.

They saw Andrew turn beat red just as the elevator doors closed and they began to ascend to the top floor to face Ethan Rayne.

Buffy just hoped Giles was ok.


As the elevator rose up to the top floor, Buffy’s anxiety increased. She didn’t really know what to expect when facing Ethan Rayne. She knew that when it came down to it, the man was a coward, but it was his magic capabilities that made him a formidable enemy.

The bell dinged signaling their arrival and the doors opened. Buffy and Spike peered out carefully. Seeing no one the stepped out and looked around.

They both felt the power pouring out from down the hall and they began to make their way carefully towards it. They turned a corner and saw in front of them a large corner office that had probably belonged to the CEO of the business they were inside of. Through the glass doors they were surprised to see Giles holding Ethan by the throat on one side of the desk.

When he spoke they could hear him clearly.

“I’ll ask you one more time, Ethan: What was the spell you cast on Buffy?” Giles asked, his voice was cold.

“Come now Ripper.” Ethan wheezed. “You know a magician never reveals his tricks.”

Giles squeezed harder and Ethan began to choke and cough. “Where is the scythe?” Giles demanded. A funny noise began to creep out from Ethan; it took a moment for Buffy to realize it was laughter.

“I sold it, to a nice demon friend of mine. It should be in a delightful hell dimension about three realms over.” Giles threw him across the room into the glass doors.

He lay on the floor not far from Buffy and Spike. Giles walked out and looked down at him. He was so focused on Ethan he didn’t appear to notice Buffy or Spike. Giles kicked the other man squarely in the crotch and watched impassively as he curled up. Behind her, Buffy almost heard Spike cringe in sympathy. She knew he was thinking that Giles wouldn’t mind doing that to him.

“You once again endangered my Slayer, Ethan.” Giles said. “Do you know how angry that makes me?”

“Attached to the girl, are you?” Ethan said through his pain. Giles slammed down his foot on Ethan’s knee. The other man howled in pain.

“You endangered my Slayer.” Giles said again, louder. “I never thought you were that stupid.” Giles all but growled.

Giles leaned down and pulled his head up by the man’s hair. “When you attacked Buffy, it was the same as if you attacked my family. Buffy is like a daughter to me.” He shoved Ethan’s head into the floor and watched it bounce off the tile, before he grabbed his hair and roughly pulled his head up again.

“But you knew that didn’t you Ethan. You knew that out everything on this planet, hurting Buffy would be the most sure fire way to hurt me.” Again Ethan’s head bounced off the floor. “That girl is everything to me, I would do anything to protect her.” He pulled Ethan up one last time and stared deeply into his eyes. “I know you won’t let this go, you will continue to trouble her as long as you live. You want to punish me for turning my back on our former life.” Giles stood up.

“What are you going to do, Ripper?” Ethan whispered, but Buffy and Spike could still hear him.

Giles calmly pulled a pistol out of his pocket. “I’m going to ensure you never hurt her again. She is going to have a hard enough time, I won’t let my past endanger her more.”

“You won’t kill me.” Ethan said.

Three shots were fired, Ethan’s body jerked and then was still.

“Giles!” Buffy gasped, and ran out from behind the corner.

Giles looked up at her. “How long were there?” He demanded from her.

Buffy couldn’t speak, tears filled her eyes as she looked from the now dead man on the floor to her Watcher, to Spike and then back to her Watcher.

“I love you.” Buffy told Giles.

He gave her a weak smile. “And I love you my dear girl.” His voice was filled with pride. He walked forward and gave her a hug, all the while eyeing up Spike behind her.

For the first time Spike found himself nervous about the Watcher. He recognized the look in his eyes when he killed the warlock. Giles had killed before and he would do it again if he felt his reasons were just and he wouldn’t hesitate to do it.

Giles let go of Buffy and she turned to Spike. “What about you? Are you ready to get out of here?”

“More than.” Spike said.

“I would think it best if the two of you stayed at the hotel with rest of us for now.” Giles said. “There are more than enough rooms that you can get one far from anyone else within hearing range and I don’t think we should be separated right now.”

Buffy looked at Spike in question. He shrugged; he really didn’t care where they stayed. Besides, a hotel room wasn’t much bigger than his apartment.

“Ok, Giles.” Buffy agreed. Giles turned and fixed Spike with the same cold emotionless stare he had on his face when he faced off with Ethan. Spike began to wonder where he got the nickname ‘Ripper’.


”Besides Spike is going to probably need that time to convince me he’s good enough for you.” Giles said, with a tight smile.

Buffy walked over and laced her fingers with Spike’s. “He makes me happy and I love him.” Buffy told Giles. He looked at her with a fond smile, before turning back to Spike.

“If you ever hurt her, I will make you scream in pain for years to come.” He told the vampire, there was no doubting the sincerity of his words when witnessing the fire in the older man’s eyes.

While Spike now understood the Watcher was much darker than he ever gave him credit for, he didn’t flinch under the scrutiny.

“If I ever hurt her, I hope you do worse than that.” He simply said. His answer seemed to please Giles because the cold look left his eyes.

“Uh, guys…” Buffy pulled on Spike’s sleeve, but he was focused on Giles.

“At least you are British.” Giles said as he took off his glasses and began cleaning them.

“That’s right mate. I understand what football actually is.”

“GUYS!!” The alarm in Buffy’s voice finally ended their pissing contest and they turned to her.

“Look.” She said pointing to where Ethan lay.

Except now there wasn’t a body, there was just a stack of papers on the ground where he had been. Three bullets were imbedded in the floor around the papers.

The three inched forward and saw the top paper said in clear writing ‘Ripper - Someday you will thank me.’

Giles picked up the stack and looked through them. “Oh bloody hell.” He said tiredly.

“What is it?” Buffy asked peering over his arm at the papers.

“It appears to be a prophecy.” Giles answered her.
The Pyramid by Kyra Storm
Author's Notes:
Trying to get caught up after the month long drama. I'm hoping to have updates on my stories and my site all weekend. (Crossing my fingers now.)
Chapter 16: The Pyramid

Later that evening Buffy and Spike were safely moved into the hotel with the rest of the Scoobies. Most of Angel’s team, with the exception of Angel himself, were gathered in the hotel lobby. Angel was staying by Nina’s side at the hospital until she woke up. Although most everyone suspected he was actually just trying to avoid Buffy and Spike.

It was a wasted effort on his part; however, since the two of them had ensconced themselves in their new suite of rooms to ‘get cleaned up’ before they started the meeting regarding the new prophecy Ethan left for them.

Instead of the somber atmosphere that was expected there was a celebratory feeling in the lobby as the Scoobies mingled with Angel’s team.

Wesley and Giles poured over the prophecy together, arguing over different meanings for some of the words and phrases. Illyria and Dawn sat close by studying each other, while Xander and Gunn traded war stories about their different adventures as the token ‘normal’ humans. Off in a corner Willow sat sipping a strong cup of coffee while Lorne watched over her sympathetically.

“Now what have we learned from this?” He asked her.

“Black magic bad. Pain pills bad. Werewolves bad.” Willow groaned. “Being awake bad.”

“There, there honey. It will get better. You should even be able to think in complete sentences in a day or two.” Willow groaned again and slumped farther down into the sofa she was sitting on.

“Why does she not use her power to heal herself?” Illyria asked Dawn.

Dawn looked over at Willow thoughtfully. “She had a problem with magic before.” Dawn spoke softly so Willow wouldn’t overhear their conversation. “She became addicted to dark magic and almost ended the world. She careful now about how she uses her powers.”

“That is your species biggest weakness, you preoccupation with good and evil.” Illyria said derisively.

“And some would argue that is our greatest strength.” Wesley said without looking up from the aged sheet of parchment he was studying. “I believe this reads that the top of the pyramid is a pair of creatures representing power and wisdom.” He continued without pause speaking to Giles now.

“That would make sense. This speaks of a scholar who was cast out for his controversial beliefs.” Giles paused for a moment skimming farther down the document. “And a collapsed…no, that’s not right. A fallen, that’s it. A fallen God inhabiting a human form.” Giles looked up abruptly his eyes widened comically. “Good Lord!” He exclaimed.

“Hmmm.” Wesley asked. He had only been halfway listening to Giles the main focus of his attention on his pages of the prophecy.

“This is about you!” Giles said loudly.

Conversation around them stopped at his words.

“What?” Wesley raised his head in disbelief. “Where did you get that notion?”

Giles looked directly at Illyria and recited. “A fallen God inhabiting a human form.”

“Wesley rolled his eyes. “That hardly offers concrete proof the prophecy is referring to me.” He scoffed.

Giles shook his head and began skimming down the page for more proof to support his theory.

“So what, G-man? You think Wesley is some sort of avatar of wisdom?”

“What is this pyramid anyway? Its obviously not a structure.” Dawn asked.

“It’s three pairs of individuals.” Giles answered distractedly, still reading through the pages he had.

“What are they supposed to do?” She asked.

Willow stood up and walked over to the other slowly, Lorne followed behind her in case she got dizzy. “Yeah, Giles, are we talking apocalypticy type bad guys or are they helper type good guys?”

Gunn made a sour face and looked at Willow. “Apocalypticy? And they say brothers speak bad English.”

Willow glared at him. “Hey, I’m still recovering from a severe overdose of pain medication here. You’re lucky I can even think of words that have more than one syllable.”

“We haven’t gotten that far yet.” Giles answered Willow’s question. “The first couple of pages primarily discuss the components of the pyramid, not what its function will be.”

“If it came from Ethan Rayne I bet I can guess whether or not its good or evil.” Xander said.

“But if English is part of it, it be that evil.” Gunn said.

“Yeah, I mean Wesley isn’t exactly the diabolical type.” Lorne chimed in. “At least he normally isn’t.” He added weakly, remembering the incident when Wesley took Conner from Angel.

“It isn’t about me!!” Wesley said exasperated.

“I suppose it would depend on the influence of the fallen deity.” Giles said at the same time eyeing Illyria warily.

Illyria glared back at him. “If you believe you are being smart with your comments, you are not. I am well aware of your distaste for me, Watcher. I can feel it pouring out of you, like the buckets of sweat you perspire.”

“Really?” Giles said slowly, not fazed by her venomous nature. “Since you know what I am suggesting, do you have any opinions on my theory?”

Illyria didn’t answer him. Finally Wesley looked up from the papers he had been studying while trying to ignore Giles. “Illyria?” He asked her.


Upstairs Spike was unpacking his few possessions, mainly the TV and game console while Buffy explored their new suite of rooms, specifically chosen for their distance from everyone else.

“Gotta admit, I like this old place.” Spike was saying. “A good deal better than that office building. It doesn’t feel all evil anyways.” He finished setting up the TV and turned around when Buffy didn’t answer.

A slow grin of appreciation crept across his face at the sight before him.

Buffy was naked with her back towards him folding her clothes. “I need a shower.” She said without turning around.

He started to cross the room towards her, but she stopped him. “Don’t even think about it.” She said. “I’m still mad at you.”

Spike could hear the anger in her tone and feel the resolve inside of her. He opened his mouth to make an angry retort, probably going to say something that would ensure he didn’t have sex again in this century, but just then she turned around and anything he was about to say got lost in the sight of her naked beauty before him.

She raised a cocky eyebrow at him and watched him swallow what he was going to say. She sauntered over to him until she was a breath away. The smell of her, the sight of her and feeling of warmth at came from her body had Spike’s mouth practically watering.

“So…” She reached her hand out and lightly brushed it down his chest and over the now prominent bulge in his jeans, pulling it back before the warmth of her hand had time to penetrate the denim. “What are you going to do to make it up to me?”

She expected him growl and throw her across the bed. Either that or pick her up, put her over his shoulder and carry her off to the bathroom.

She never expected him to drop to his knees immediately. Her eyes were wide with shock when she met his and saw the serious emotion in them.

“Buffy Anne Summers, you are the only creature I want to be with for the rest of my existence. If the soddin’ Powers try to separate us by making me human, I will go right out and get turned again.” His eyes flashed gold. “Nothing will ever come between us again.” He swore.

Buffy’s heart swelled with warmth and love. In all honesty she hand only been teasing him when she told him she was still mad at him, but the fears and doubts were still alive inside of her.

Now she knew and she believed without a doubt they really were going to make it work. The strength, love and determination shouting out at her from his gaze, drowned out any of the lingering fears.

“Spike…” She whispered, reaching out to stroke his hair.

He leaned forward into her and ran his tongue through the lips of her sex.

“Spike.” She hissed through her teeth. Her hand tightened its hold on his scalp as he began to eat her like a man starved.

She lost all coherent speech when he moved his mouth upwards and began to suck on her clit in a rhythmic pattern. He brought an arm up and wrapped it around her thighs, grabbing onto the globes of her ass. With his other hand he lifted her leg over his shoulder. Once she was more open to him he began to plunder he warm depths with three fingers.

A whimpering keening began to escape her as she pressed her sex closer to him. Still lost in the blue of his eyes, she swore she could physically feel his gaze as it swept over her naked torso pushing her closer to her release.

“Please, baby.” She whimpered.

He sucked down hard on her clit pushing her over the edge, but before she fell completely he removed his mouth, replacing it with his thumb, rubbing over the distended nub frantically. His face rippled as he bit into the soft flesh of her upper thigh.

“SSSPIIIIKE!!!” She screamed out his name as her orgasm jumped to a previously unknown peak. With a proud grin he let her slowly fall to the floor in his arms, certain that no one inside the hotel’s walls could have missed her piercing scream.


Angel sat next to Nina’s bed holding her hand and talking to her quietly.

“Please come back to me. I’ll make all the bad go away.” He stroked her hair lightly.

Her eyelids began to flicker, as she floated towards consciousness. “That’s it Nina, come back to me, please.” Angel said excitedly.

“Angel?” Her voice came weakly; her eyes continued to flutter open and closed as she tried to adjust them to the light.

“I’m here, Nina.” Angel said urgently, gripping her hand tighter.

“Angel, what happened?” Her eyes finally managed to stay open, but they were only open a slit. Distress and confusion filled her voice.

“Shhh. Its ok.” Angel tried to soothe her. “We were attacked.”

Her eyes drifted shut again and for a moment he thought she had fallen back under, but then she spoke. “In your apartment.” She opened her eyes back up. “But what happened then?”

“You were in a coma. The doctors didn’t know if you were going to wake up or not.”

Nina closed her eyes tight and scrunched her face up as if she were experiencing a bad headache. “I remember bits and pieces, its like a dream. There was a woman…” She paused trying to remember. “She had bright hair and black eyes, she stood over me chanting.”

“That was Willow. I asked her to call out your wolf side, hoping that you would heal faster and wake up.”

Tears formed in Nina’s eyes. “Oh my god!” She cried, her voice suddenly much stronger with her anguish. “I attacked her.”

“She’s all right. You didn’t hurt her. You didn’t hurt anyone.”

“How do you know that? Were you with me the whole time?” Nina asked angrily.

“No. You got away.”

Nina let out a harsh bitter laugh. They sat in silence for few more minutes. “I didn’t hurt anyone.” She remembered. “But there was something out there, something that hurt me again.”

“They’re all gone, too. You’re safe now.” Angel assured her. “In a few days, maybe sooner, you’ll be as good as new.” He smiled warmly at the woman before him. She was going to be his salvation now that Buffy had chosen Spike over him. Nina was much better suited towards him, anyway. Where Buffy was still a child in many ways, immature and demanding. Much more like Spike than he first realized actually, Nina was an adult, a stable presence in his life. She would stand by him and understand him when the others did not.

Nina saw the look in his eyes and quickly pulled her hand back from him and turned away.

Angel looked at her in surprise. “What’s wrong?” He asked her.

“Angel, I can’t do this.” She told him, refusing to meet his gaze.

“Can’t do what?” He asked warily.

“I don’t think I can be with you anymore.” She said quietly.

“What? Why not?” Angel demanded.

“I know that I won’t ever be normal, but if I stay with you, its always going to be something. I don’t need normalcy, but I do need some kind of stability.” She finally looked him square in the eyes. “That’s something you can’t give me.”


While Wesley looked at Illyria expectantly the tension in the room was suddenly broken by Buffy’s voice echoing down from above.

“SSSPIIIKE!!!”

Giles pulled his glasses off, his face red with anger and embarrassment.

Dawn grinned. “That’s my sister.” She said proudly. Willow joined her in her mirth.

“Who thought it was a good idea for them to move in here?” Xander asked still cringing.

“I believe Rupert encouraged them to stay here.” Wesley said smugly.

“How was I to bloody well know that she…er… that he...er…that is to say…er…” Giles really didn’t know where to take this.

“Buffy could scream like a banshee when she was receiving orgasms?” Dawn finally filled in for him.

Everyone in the room stared at her in shock.

“Well, what did you guys think would happen when you let Anya watch me all those times?” She asked.


Back upstairs Spike pulled Buffy back into a standing position.

“Now, I believe you were saying something about a shower?”

Buffy nodded dumbly. “Clean good.”

He chuckled low and she shivered at the sound, her eyes fixed on her bit mark on his neck. She wasn’t even aware that her face changed and she was licking her lips.

“See something you want Slayer?” His voice was husky with desire at the thought of her feeding from him, her fangs buried in his neck.

She looked up into his eyes, her eyes glowing brightly. She let her fingers tease his jaw line and his eyes closed under he gentle caress. That’s when she struck, her fangs unerringly hitting their mark. He moaned in pleasure at the attack.

She wrapped on leg tightly around his waist and rubbed her dripping center up and down the length of his zipper. She could feel his cool essence running through her veins coursing through her body wit every beat of her heart.

She pulled her fangs out and leaned back, licking all traces of his blood from her lips.

“I’ll go start the water.” Buffy said as she let go of him. She gave him a toothy grin. “You should definitely be more naked for what’s coming up next.”

Spike watched as she giggled and darted out of the room. He wasted no time in stripping down and chasing her into the bathroom that was now rapidly filling with steam.


On and on they argued loudly downstairs, although the volume was partly to drown out the cries coming from Buffy and Spike upstairs, until Giles finally found the proof he was looking for the prophecy was about Wesley and Illyria.

“AH-HA!!! Here it is!” He cried triumphantly. “Right here in black and white, or yellowed parchment and brownish ink as the case may be.”

“What is it now?” Wesley asked exhaustedly.

“It says right here ‘an Old One returned to this plane after time spent in the deep well, joined with a cast out scholar.’ Could that be anymore clear man?” Giles snapped, slapping the papers down in front of Wesley and turning to face Illyria. “Now suppose you come clean and tell us what you know about this.” He said.

“Fine, but I didn’t believe it myself.” She said defensively. “The whole concept is preposterous.”

“Illyria,” Wesley said warningly. “Tell me what you know about this.”

“There was a prophecy during my time about one of us fighting for the humans, saving them from the destruction they deserve.”

”Why didn’t you tell me about this before?” Wesley stood up angry. “How could you keep something like this from me?”

”You over estimate your importance to me, human.” Illyria said angrily. “The slight emotions this shell retains does not bind me in any way to you.”

“I’m not asking you bind yourself to me, but a little courtesy would be nice. You know, just a little bit of notice that I might play a major part in having to save the world.” He finished sarcastically.

“I TOLD you I didn’t believe it myself.” Illyria all but growled at him. “Why would I lower myself to help your species survive? The sooner you all die out the sooner, I can take back the power you stole from me.”

”If I hadn’t taken your powers from you, you would be gone now and so would the rest of us.”

”Um, not me.” Xander interjected, trying to make the atmosphere a bit lighter with his joking. “I was on a different continently entirely.”

”Oh would you shut up!!”

”Silence.”

Wesley and Illyria yelled at the same time.

Giles sat through their arguing reading farther into the papers, once his point was proved he didn’t care about their personal problems. “I believe that one of the other pairs could be Buffy and Spike.” He shouted out to everyone. “It talks about the Warrior for Good bound to the Vampire with a soul.” Illyria and Wesley both turned to him, interested in what else the prophecy says. “They are to be your guardians.” Giles paused. “No, wait, maybe its Angel.”

Giles read down farther. “Oh dear lord.”

“That doesn’t sound good.” Gunn said.

“It usually isn’t.” Willow agreed.

“I believe we may have a problem.” Giles said.

“Enough with the understatement, G-man. What’s the situation?”

“There are two equal pairs of Warriors who protect the head of the pyramid.” Giles said.

“Which is Wesley and Illyria.” Dawn filled in.

“The only differences between them are that they are complements.” Giles continued. “Contrasting complements.”

“What does that mean?” Lorne asked.

“It means they are like opposites, but make up a whole.” Willow explained.

“So if one is good the other is evil.” Gunn said.

“Right and if the other pair is equal to Buffy and Spike…” Giles said.

“Angel and Faith!” Xander said. Willow looked at him in surprise. “You aren’t the only smart one.”

“And if Buffy and Spike are good that means….”


Angel walked the halls of Wolfram and Hart, lost in his misery. How could Nina have broken up with him? After all the trouble he went through to save her and she just dumps him as soon as she wakes up?

Now Buffy was probably off at the hotel boning Spike into the floor and he was left alone. Why couldn’t he find someone to love who would stay with him and accept him for who he was? So he had a little brooding problem. That only added character.

Not paying attention to where he was going he turned a corner and walked right into Andrew, knocking the younger man to the ground.

“Sorry Andrew, I didn’t notice you.” He held out a hand to help him up.

“Oh! That’s ok, Angel. Its your building, right? You can do whatever you want in it.” Andrew stopped and thought about what he said. “Although, I’d prefer if you didn’t want to knock me around anymore.”

Angel rolled his eyes. “Why are you still here? I though you’d be with everyone else at the hotel.”

“I’m headed over there soon. I just had to check in on Faith first and see if there was any change in her condition, then I had to call and check in back in London and Giles said there was no point in running up our phone bill when evil could pay for it. I mean it wasn’t like it was top secret stuff I had to call on, I just needed to make sure they got the delivery of food for the cafeteria and stuff like that.”

“Wait a minute. Slow down Andrew.” Angel snapped his fingers in Andrew’s face to get him to stop rambling. “Go back to that first part again.”

“What?” Andrew asked trying to remember what he said first. “The heading over there soon?”

“No.” Angel said with forced patience. “The part about Faith.”

“I had to check in and see if there was any change in her condition.”

“Faith is in the city?” Angel asked.

”Yeah, Giles had her sent over when Buffy was healed, I guess he was hoping Spike could fix Faith too.”

”I want to see her.” Angel said.

“Um, I don’t know if I can do that. Mr. Giles said…”

Angel grabbed Andrew by his shoulders. “Andrew, I’ve had a very, very bad week. You don’t want to make it worse, do you?” Andrew shook his head no nervously, he opened his mouth to speak, but Angel spoke before he had the chance. “Now I suggest you take me to see Faith, Andrew. NOW!!”

Andrew nodded his head, in defeat.

“Good boy.” Angel smiled, put his arm around Andrew and lead him towards the elevators that went to the garage.

Spike wasn’t going to be the only one to find his mate.
Good Vs. Evil by Kyra Storm
Author's Notes:
Two days, two updates. I'm getting there. I should have Life Eternal up by Sunday.
Chapter 17: Good vs. Evil?

“Bloody buggering Wanker.” Spike swore loudly. “What kind of pansy-boy, spineless, loser would take after a comatose Slayer?”

“What kind of Wanker would chain up a Slayer to declare his love?” Buffy countered teasingly.

“Its not the same thing.” Spike growled, refusing to be teased out of his bad mood. There were several other things he would rather be doing, which involved a lot less clothing and Buffy. “He took Andrew hostage. ANDREW!! That’s like kidnapping a kitten.”

“More like one of those annoying yip-yip dogs.” Buffy corrected blithely.

Spike continued on. “Just so…what? He can get back at me and you by biting Faith and ending the world.”

“We don’t know for sure that’s what’s going on.” She said as they approached the Council’s headquarter in LA where Faith was being kept. “All they said is that we are supposed to be contractions or something.”

“Complements, pet.” Spike corrected her, looking up at the large dark building.

“For what?” Buffy asked confused.

Spike just looked at her funny and shook his head. “We have to get you back in college again.”

“What? What’s that supposed to mean?” She demanded as she followed him into the building.



“I was not calling you stupid, luv.” Spike protested, for probably the fifteenth time in ten minutes.

“Really? What exactly was it you were trying to say then?” Buffy asked furious.

“I wasn’t trying to say anything.” He tried to defend himself.

“Oh please.” She snorted as she stomped down the dark hallway. “And try to be more quiet.” She admonished him. “We don’t want to let them know we’re here.”

“Says the girl clomping in the high heeled boots.” He muttered.

“I heard that!” She snapped. “So now I’m stupid AND you think I can’t even sneak!”

Spike sighed. “Look Buffy, the fact of the matter is that you are extremely intelligent and resourceful, BUT you don’t have the book smarts. Its not that you can’t do it…”

“You try keeping up in school, when you are out most nights patrolling or saving the world.” She interrupted.

Spike grabbed her hand and made her face him. “I know that.” He assured her, making her meet his eyes. “I also know that you have more time now and I think you would enjoy some classic literature or some history classes.”

“Literature is boring.” Buffy pouted.

“Boring.” Spike scoffed. “Luv, before we get back to the hotel, I’m going to pick up some D.H. Lawrence to read to you. We’ll see how boring you think literature is.”

“Isn’t he the one everyone was always trying to ban?”

“Yep, he was very controversial in his day.”

“And you are going to read to me?” She asked hopefully.

Spike narrowed his eyes. Was she going to make fun of him? “I can.” He answered slowly.

He was surprised at the way her face lit up. “I can deal with that. I loved listening to you recite that poem.”

If he still could have, Spike would have blushed, instead he grabbed the beautiful creature in front of him and kissed her soundly.

“What was that for?” Buffy asked breathlessly when he released her. Her eyes were shining bright.

“Because I love you and because I could.”

Buffy opened her mouth to tell him she loved him to when she heard the clapping. Both of them turned to see Angel standing in the doorway looking at them sardonically. She felt Spike tense beside her, they had been so caught up in each other, that neither of them sensed the other vampire.

“God William, do ever get tired of this dime novel crap?” Angel asked.

“Angel?” Buffy questioned hesitantly. She reached out her senses, but they didn’t advise her one way or the other as to whether or not he still had his soul.

Spike wrapped one arm around her shoulder possessively. “Well, mate when the lady seems to like it, why should I stop? Besides, its not nearly as bad as your hair.”

Angel chuckled wryly. “Which, in turn, is still not nearly as bad as your attempt at wit.”

“Angelus?” Buffy asked.

“Sorry, Buff. I still have my soul. It isn’t going to be that easy for the two of you.” Angel answered her. “Is it, Faith?” He said, focusing behind them.

Buffy spun around feeling her, before she could see her.

“Nope. It’s not going to be that easy for them at all.” Faith said stepping into the corridor.

“Faith, nice to see you awake.” Buffy said slowly.

“Its nice to be awake, B.” Faith answered. “Of course it would have been nicer not to have been tied to a table and put to sleep. It kinda brought back some bad memories.” Faith pulled a sharp looking knife from her clothes. “I’m sure you remember, don’t you, B.”

“You have to know there is no way we are going to let you win.” Buffy said.

“And you have to know there is no way you can win.” Angel answered. He and Faith began to move closer as Buffy and Spike stood back to back defensively.

“I remember how I thought you were my salvation Buffy.” Angel continued. “Now I can see that you were just a distraction that was going to keep me from my destiny.”

“What destiny is that? To end the world?” Spike asked him.

Angel lunged towards the couple at the same time Faith did. Spike managed to dodge Angel and Buffy managed to dodge Faith, but then Angel spun suddenly and grabbed Buffy by her hair. He pulled her up against him wrapping his arm around her throat. Spike immediately vamped and faced them, while trying to be aware of Faith standing behind him.

“This is familiar, isn’t it, Willie. Once again, I have something that you think belongs to you. Remember the first time we had this lesson? With Drusilla? If I recall you couldn’t sit for almost two weeks. Of course, then again, I tortured you for almost that long, didn’t I?”

“Let her go.” Spike growled.

“Come on now, you know that isn’t how it works.” Angel grinned. “You want her? Come and get her.”

Spike roared. Faith ran towards him.


“So how can we be sure that Buffy and Spike are the good guardians?” Gunn asked. “I mean what if Faith and Angel are actually the good guys?”

“Yeah,” Lorne agreed. “And if both are needed, how are you going to contain the evil ones until this apocalypse?”

Willow was now seated at the table, with Dawn, studying the prophecy.

Wesley was sitting near Illyria trying to pry more information out of the former Old One. If she had been human, it could be said she was sulking, but given who Illyria was it came out more as defiance.

Giles was on the phone yelling at one of the Watchers in England.

“Well, if you bloody well had a copy of this prophecy, why didn’t anyone send me a copy before now?!”

“Oh! You faxed it to the Council headquarters here. Well isn’t that just wonderful. Do you remember, me telling you, we weren’t going to be staying there?”

“Yes, well, your ineptitude may have cost us the world!!” He slammed down his cell phone.

“Wanker.” He muttered.

“Everything all right in England, then?” Wesley asked.

“Oh, sod off.” Giles snapped downed the glass of scotch in his hand in one large gulp.

“Actually, it doesn’t say that one team is good and one team is bad.” Willow finally answered Gunn and Lorne.

“What do you mean?” Giles asked pouring another glass of scotch and downing it..

“Well, when you read it, it just says that they are complements. It doesn’t say that one is wholly good or evil.”

“What exactly do you think complements are?” Giles poured himself a third glass of scotch, but this time just took a large swallow.

“Willow’s right.” Dawn agreed. “For one side to be completely evil, the other side would have to be like saints or something.”

“Saint Spike.” Xander laughed. “Nope, I don’t see it.”

Dawn snorted. “And believe me Buffy is no saint. Anyone who spends that much time in the bathroom can’t be a saint.”

“I say, so what are you trying to say?” Giles asked, starting to sound slightly inebriated.



Before Spike could even move a muscle and before Faith could complete her attack, Buffy surprised everyone by reaching behind her, grabbing Angel between his legs and twisting his testicles viciously. With a high-pitched scream Angel released his hold on her and sank to his knees. That gave Buffy the opportunity to spin and kick him squarely in the face.

“First of all, I’m not Drusilla.” She practically snarled. Her eyes had their otherworldly glow and her fangs were showing. “Secondly, I don’t need anyone to ‘come and get me.’”

Spike laughed, giving the Faith the opportunity she needed to knock him to the ground. Buffy turned at the scuffle.

Faith was sitting on top of Spike holding his head to the ground. “Now B, you should know by now it’s not nice to mess with my toys. What would you do if I broke yours?” She had a stake in her hand and was holding it against Spike’s back.

“You know you don’t want to do that Faith. I’m the one you want to take down.” Buffy said. “So why don’t you face me? Or are you just going to take your usual coward’s way.”

Faith got off Spike slowly, face changed until she also had glowing eyes and fangs.. “All right, you want to go? Let’s go.”

That was all Buffy needed. She launched herself at the other Slayer and they both fell through the doorway that led to the stairwell that up the building. Spike got up and looked in after them.

“Kick her arse, luv.” He said with glee. Just then he fell forward under Angel.

“I don’t think there’s much chance of that.” Angel growled in vamp face.

Spike managed to twist as he fell and clocked Angel across the face. “Am I going to have to beat you down again?” He growled.

Angel hit him back. “I don’t think there’s much chance of that either.”

Spike brought his knees up and pushed Angel off of him. “Why not? Its not like you’ve gotten any better.”

Spike jumped up and followed Angel back into the hallway, where he flew, but he didn’t see him on the floor where he expected him.

He felt more than saw the foot flying towards his face from next to the doorway. He managed to catch and deflect it. He was not so lucky with the head butt that followed and he went flying to the ground.

“No, not better. I just decided I want to win this time.” Angel growled from above. “The last time, I didn’t fight as hard as I should.” He considered the younger vamp below him. “Maybe I knew that we weren’t fighting for the real prize.” He landed a kick to Spike’s side. “All that was, was to avenge your ego.” Angel bent down and grabbed him by the collar. “Now its time to remind you who your real master is.”


“So B, how does it feel to be the bad one, for once?” Faith asked conversationally as they traded blows down the stairwell. “And here, everyone thought I was going be the one they had to watch.” She managed a solid hit, that she followed with a roundhouse kick, knocking Buffy back even further.

Buffy got her wits about her quickly, executing a back flip to miss Faith’s next maneuver. “Evidently, you’re slightly brain damaged from the drugs. Faithy, I’m not the bad girl.”

Buffy blocked a series of punches from Faith, then suddenly dropped and performed a leg sweep, knocking Faith’s legs out from under her.

Faith hit the ground hard, but immediately sprung back to her feet, taking Buffy by surprise with a knee to her chin. ‘Sell it to someone else, sister. Andrew found a prophecy that was faxed to Giles…ooof.” Buffy punched Faith in the stomach and then kicked her in the face.

“Yeah, was it about the Pyramid?” Buffy asked. Faith tried to strike her, but Buffy leapt backwards in time.

Faith looked surprised for a moment, but didn’t let it slow her down. “As a matter of fact, yeah it did. It talked about the good guardians and the bad guardians.”

The two Slayers ran towards each other wrestling face to face now. “And you’re the bad one.” They said at the same time.

Both girls’ eyes widened.

Willow and Dawn ran into the stairwell on the bottom floor.

“Wait.” They yelled up. “There’s been a mistake in the translation.”



It was that sentence.

‘Remind him who his Master was.’

Spike slammed his head into Angel’s. He didn’t even pause as the pain exploded in his brain. He began punching the larger vampire knocking him from side to side down the hallway.

“You are NOT my Master.” Spike growled. He paused for a moment, watching Angel try to remain upright, then kicked him square in the chest.

He paused for a moment as knowledge suddenly filled him. It had to be from Buffy.

The prophecy was wrong. This was just a misunderstanding.

Spike shrugged.

Oh well, he wasn’t going to let that stop him. He and Angel were going to sort this out once and for all.

“Admit it.” He yelled punching Angel.

Angel shook his head no weakly.

“Admit it.” Spike yelled, punching him again and again.

Spike heard footsteps moving up behind him quickly.

“Admit it.” He yelled again.

He heard arguing in the background, but paid it no mind.

“Let me go, B!”

“No. Wait. This is between them.”

“ADMIT IT!” Spike roared. He hit Angel as hard as he could.

“FINE!” Angel’s voice came out much stronger than Spike expected, considering how bad of shape he was in.

“You were a pathetic excuse for a vampire. You stupid notions of eternal love and devotion.” Angel yelled, through a mouth of blood. “You were a weak fool. Being a vampire wasn’t about love, it was about death and pain. You wanted to be some dark, valiant, romantic figure out of a Shelley tail.” Angel spit a large amount of blood onto the carpet.

“And then you tried to turn your mother?” Angel shook his head. “I tried to make you into a real vampire, someone who could carry on down the line in my footsteps. Before me you were nothing.”

“That’s where you were wrong.” Spike said quietly. “I was me.” Spike hit him one more time and knocked him out cold.

Buffy let Faith go, who ran to Angel’s side immediately. “Asshole.” She yelled up at Spike, who ignored her.

He turned to Buffy who ran up to him immediately. She tried to hug him, but he held her at arms length. “This is who I am Buffy.” He said solemnly. “I’m a monster, who believes in romance tales and true love. Most of my existence has been about searching for that one person who completes me.” He let her go and went to run his hand through his hair, until he realized how bloody it was. He stared at it for a few seconds before continuing.

“I was a sad human being and I really wasn’t too much better at being a vampire, I guess.” He said.

Unable to take it anymore, Buffy grabbed his bloody hands. “Spike, I love who you are. I love your monster side and I love your romantic side. And I’m glad you spent your life searching for me.” She kissed the corners of his mouth lightly. “I’m even more glad you finally caught me.” She finished kissing him deeply. She released his hands and they quickly banded around her.

Once all the yelling and fighting had ceased, a grunting could be heard coming from one of the offices. Dawn opened the door and rolled her eyes.

There was Andrew tied to a chair and gagged. She went to let him loose.

As soon as he was free, Andrew ran out into the hallway. He eyes caught sight of Faith kneeling on the ground trying to rouse Angel and Buffy and Spike kissing.

“Spike.” Andrew yelled fearfully. Neither responded. “Spike.” Andrew yelled again. Spike tore his mouth away from Buffy’s.

“What, Andrew?”

“Are you evil?” Andrew asked hesitantly.

Spike chuckled. “No, I’m not evil.” He said with resignation.

Buffy grinned up at him. “But he is the Big Bad.” She said slyly.

He returned her grin and began kissing her again hungrily. “I’ll show you Big Bad.” He murmured in between kisses.

The next thing they knew Andrew was hugging them both. “I knew you wouldn’t go back to the dark side.” He said fervently. Buffy and Spike both broke into laughter.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=11080