Little Missy; The Marker by spufette
Summary: Set in circa 1928/1929 in New York City: Buffy is a torch singer in a club, Spike is her ex-lover. They have a 'touchy' relationship at present because Buffy walked out on Spike four years before. Now, with Angel (nothing graphic, promise) Buffy sings in his club. Spike, in the meantime, is a bookie who works for Angel(us) and watches Buffy from afar. A desperate man, with a six-year-old daughter (Dawn), comes on the scene and sets events in motion that push Spike and Buffy together, once again. This is a story based on an old Shirley Temple movie entitled 'Little Miss Marker'. Warnings: It will start as Buffy/Angel (nothing graphic, as I said) and of course end up Spuffy?
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: Yes Word count: 64691 Read: 24016 Published: 08/24/2005 Updated: 02/25/2006

1. Prologue & Summary by spufette

2. Chapter 1: 'A Friend In Need' by spufette

3. Chapter 2: 'The Horse; The Scheme; The Marker' by spufette

4. Chapter 3: 'Steppin' Out; Or Steppin' In It!' by spufette

5. Chapter 4: 'An Offer He Can't Refuse' by spufette

6. Chapter 5: 'The Lady In Red' by spufette

7. Chapter 6: 'Girls Just Wanna Shop; Til They Drop!' by spufette

8. Chapter 7: 'Always' by spufette

9. Chapter 8: 'The Charger' by spufette

10. Chapter 9: 'Have I Told You; I Missed You?' by spufette

11. Chapter 10: 'Dream A Little Dream' by spufette

12. Chapter 11: 'Understanding Flapjacks' by spufette

13. Chapter 12: 'A Day At The Track' by spufette

14. Chapter 13: 'Never Leave' by spufette

15. Chapter 14: 'Truth Time' by spufette

16. Chapter 15: 'It Had To Be You' by spufette

17. Chapter 16: 'Heavenly Interlude Before Hellish Angst' by spufette

18. Chapter 17: 'Kiss The Cook!' by spufette

19. Chapter 18: 'Lady Guinevere's Party' by spufette

20. Chapter 19: 'All's You Have To Do.....' by spufette

21. Chapter 20: 'It Is All In The Blood' by spufette

22. Epilogue: by spufette

Prologue & Summary by spufette
Author's Notes:
Please give this a read. I posted the prologue before the crash and I am re-posting it and the next chapter tonight.
Thanks, spuf
LITTLE MISSY; THE MARKER


Summary and Prologue:


But first, an author’s note: (oh come on, it’s me, I always have to throw this in here!)

Okay, here goes. I was going to wait and introduce my newest fiction, until I finished one of my other WIP’s, however…

The world is so full of misery and crap right now and I thought ‘hey’ let’s do it. Let’s go for it, spufette! Start your new WIP (a fairly short one for me) and let’s get the fluffy, sentimental (some Spuffy angst) going!


First, a question???

‘Who loves old movie classics? You know what I’m talking about here…old Damon Runyon stories; Guys and Dolls; The Broad Street, etc. etc.?

(A little side note: If my 14 year old daughter had been a boy, his name would have been Damon!) Anyway, I digress.

Who is familiar with ‘Little Miss Marker’ with Shirley Temple? How about ‘Sorrowful Jones’ with Bob Hope and Lucille Ball?

Well, that’s the plot, basically for this new fic of mine. ‘Little Miss Marker’ is a sweet, silly, sometimes sad and angstsy story from Runyon.

It’s set in the late 1920’s or early 1930’s, doesn’t really matter and the locale is New York City. There’s gangsters (the gentler, softer kind) and dolls; you know the ones I’m talking about. The gals that have the tough exteriors and the hearts of gold! Like Buffy Summers, our heroine.

Buffy is a torch singer in a club, circa late 1920’s. She’s ‘involved’ with Angelus O’Connor (which is a nice way to say that she’s his mistress). Angelus is the head honcho in this one, but he’s not really going to be around much. (I have to get him out of town so that the Spuffy plot line can progress!)

Although Buffy is youngish (about 25) and beautiful and appears to be a gold digger, at least where Angelus is concerned? She harbors an old flame in her heart. Guess who???

Right, William ‘Spike’ Jameson, her ex-lover and Angelus’s most trusted employee. While Angelus runs the clubs, illegal gambling, etc. in their neck of New York, it’s Spike that is his main bookie or numbers runner. For some reason, Angelus trusts Spike with everything in his life, except, maybe for his woman, Buffy Summers. Which makes sense, really, since Buffy and Spike were lovers before and all.

While Spike appears to be cold, sarcastic and strictly business; he also harbors the old torch for Buffy. So, you may ask…why did Buffy run off from Spike, nearly four years before? (Silly Buffy!)

That my dears, will be answered in the text of the story. This is where little ‘Missy Dawn’ enters the tale. The six-year-old girl is a pawn in an illegal bet by her widower father, Theodore Merrick.

So, who’s the bookie that Theodore ‘Ted’ Merrick entrusts with his most precious marker, Dawn? Why Spike of course.

What follows, if you’ve seen the movies, is a silly, sentimental and sometimes bittersweet tale of hard men and a tough as nails woman who are changed by an innocent, but very wise little girl.

A lot of characters from BTVS and ATS will show up, since it is based on them actually. Keep on the lookout for Xander in this one, who plays Dawn’s version of the ‘White Knight’! Dawn is enraptured by the Tales of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.

I’m hoping that people will read and enjoy this fiction. I’m going to tweak some of the characters and plot lines from the original Runyon story.

Spike is not a cheapskate in this tale, but he’s hardened in life. He loves Buffy and can’t stand the idea that she left him years ago. Also, it’s Spike that is the moody/broody one here, for good reason.

Buffy is tough, a little wild and yes, a gold digger in her way. However, there’s a reason for it, even if it’s not excusable, it might just make sense later in the plot.

Angelus is all tough talk and bluster, and yes, he can be a monster in his way. Most of the real hard gangster stuff will be alluded to, not really graphic. Oh, and Angel/Buffy will not be graphic at all, promise.

The rest of the cast of characters will make appearances, including a very special race horse by the name of ‘King Arthur’s Steed’ that Dawn just falls in love with.

So, without further ado, I give you:

Spufette’s ‘Little Missy; The Marker’

(Oh, and of course, none of the BTVS/ATS characters are mine. Oh, how I wish they were! They belong to Joss Whedon and ME)


Proglogue:


Spike stood on the balcony of Heaven’s Haven, Angel O’Connor’s beloved club. The blond bookie watched, through narrowed blue eyes, as Buffy warbled her latest torch song.

Buffy was blathering on and on, something about the ‘man she loved’ and such rot.

‘Too right,’ Spike snorted as he strained to hear his ex-lover’s words over the packed to the gills room. ‘What would Buffy know about a man and love?’ His musings echoed back to him, bitterly, as he gazed at the honey blond beauty on the small stage.

‘You’ve never loved anyone but yourself, kitten,’ Spike whispered to the empty air in front of him. God, how he hated that bitch, Buffy. No, that was bullshit; he loved her, still.


‘The Man I Love’

“Someday he’ll come along
The man I love
And he’ll be big and strong
The man I love
And when he comes my way
I’ll do my best, to make him stay”


“Is she lookin’ at me?” Spike whispered in stunned awe as he stared at his ex, longingly.

‘What the hell is Spike doing here?’ Buffy groaned inwardly as she tried to remember the next stanza of the new song. ‘Leave it to the blond menace to come in here; screw up my night and…’

“He’ll look at me and smile
I’ll understand”

‘Now there’s a contradiction,’ Buffy snorted to herself as she took a breath. ‘Understanding Spike? That’d be a miracle!’

“Then in a little while
He’ll take my hand
And though it seems absurd
I know, we won’t have to say a word”

‘Why does Angel keep that two-bit hustler around anyway?’ Buffy wondered angrily. ‘And why do I care,’ she added sheepishly before she finished the last of her song.

“Maybe I’ll meet him Sunday
Maybe Monday, maybe not
Still I’m sure to meet him someday
Maybe Tuesday will be my good newsday…

He’ll build a little home”

‘Oh yeah, right. Spike and building, that’s a laugh,! All’s he can do is add up gambling numbers and…’

“That’s meant for two
From which I’ll never roam
Who would? Would you?”

Spike snorted again, loudly, waking up his right-hand man, Xander Harris who sat on the lone stool on the balcony.

“Is it dinner yet?” Xander mumbled half-heartedly, barely awake at the moment.

“Go back to sleep!” Spike growled at his best friend, Harris.

‘Never roam,’ Spike snorted again, ‘there’s a bloody howl. You took off the minute things got tough, Princess,’ he muttered down at the gorgeous blond minx on the stage.

“And so all else above
I’m dreaming of, the man I love”


Buffy finished on a hopeful, high note, bringing the crowded room of patrons to their feet. She curtsied, all lady-like, but rolled her hazel/green eyes sarcastically.

‘It’s probably the cheap gin Angel serves,’ she surmised ruefully. Buffy was well aware that she was no Helen Morgan, or any kind of real singer for that matter.

No, it was Angel O’Connor that kept Buffy on the stage and off the streets. Even she knew that, just as the blond, ex-lover of hers up on the stage knew.

‘And oh how William hates it,’ Buffy chuckled gleefully as she sashayed into her dressing room at the back of the club.

Yup, William, or Spike as he ridiculously insisted on being called, detested Angel O’Connor, even if Buffy’s patron was his boss. No question, she reasoned merrily; Will was still madly in love with her and wasn’t that just grand?’


A/N: Well, that’s the start. This one won’t be long, promise, and it’s just for fun.

I love old classic movies and I hope you’ll read and review. There’s lots more drama and silly sweetness coming up.

Thanks, spufette.
Chapter 1: 'A Friend In Need' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Please read and review, please???
LITTLE MISSY; THE MARKER


Chapter 1: ‘A Friend In Need?’


“So, tell me again, Harris,” Spike grumbled as he pulled into the parking lot of his apartment building. “Why the bloody hell do I keep you around, anyway?”

Xander Harris grinned at his employer; his boss and actually, yes, his best friend, Spike Jameson.

“You keep me around because I’m funny, a straight shooter and I play a mean game of poker, right? The added attraction is that I’m a smart guy, who reads you like yesterday’s horse racing page.” Xander snorted loudly when he took in his Spike’s frustrated expression.

“Maybe,” Spike muttered with a derisive snort. “Or,” he continued sarcastically, “it could be because you do everything I say and follow me around like a bloody puppy? That gives a bloke a sense of power you know?”

It was Spike’s turn to laugh now, wasn’t it? However, the blond bookie halted his raucous laughter when he spied the seriousness in Xander’s brown eyes.

“Can I ask you something?” Xander inquired carefully of his moody boss. “And will you give me an honest answer this time?”

“Shoot,” Spike grunted, lighting a cigarette for himself as he turned off the ignition to his car.

“If you still love ‘her’ like you obviously do? Why did you ever let her run off, years ago?” Xander didn’t even bother to look at Spike, he just watched his employer’s cigarette smoke float above them, as if mesmerized.

“If by ‘her’ you mean Buffy?” Spike mumbled lowly. He always spoke ‘her’ name, to everyone but himself, in a tender, almost gentle tone. “What the bloody hell was I supposed to do, Harris? Buffy took off from me; I really had no choice in the matter. Was I supposed to chain Buffy up? In my apartment and force her to stay with me?”

Spike halted his tirade, momentarily, as he got the visual of ‘his’ Buffy, chained up in his loft. She’d be locked onto the wall, naked preferably and no one would be able to hear what was happening inside of the apartment.

Xander must have tuned into what he was thinking, because Spike noticed that the dark-haired, brown-eyed man had gotten awfully quiet, all of a sudden. His right-hand man, Harris, had a dreamy kind of look in his eyes. Spike shot his ‘help’ a dirty look and threw the driver’s door open.

“Why are you bringing this up? Now?” Spike growled in exasperation. “That was almost four years ago, when Buffy left me. She’s with Peaches now, remember?”

It was Xander’s turn to snort loudly. “Yeah, she’s with Angelus. So what? It’s not like everyone can’t see what’s going on in that blond head of hers. Or yours, for that matter,” he added with a smug grin.

“So, oh brilliant one, tell me what’s going on in Buffy Summers’ lovely head,” Spike grumbled as he led his friend up to his apartment.

“Well,” Xander began matter-of-factly, “you know that my girl, Anya, and Buffy are pretty tight, right?”

“I guess,” Spike shrugged, trying for the world to seem less then caring about this conversation.

“Anya is Buffy’s dressmaker, for her shows,” Xander continued amicably, ignoring the irritated look his boss was giving him. “She makes all of Buffy’s dresses for her show at Angel’s club.”

“Don’t mention Peaches, Harris,” Spike muttered in warning, “not if you want to have a drink, at my place.” He finished by jamming his keys into his apartment door.

“Oh for Pete’s sake, boss,” Xander spat, “if we’re talkin’ about Buffy, we have to talk about Angel. Not that he’s that important in her life, you know?”

“No,” Spike mumbled, “I don’t know. Peaches seems pretty fucking important to Buffy, at least to me. She’s practically shacked up with him and…”

“Yeah,” Xander chuckled as he helped himself to a nice bottle of whiskey from his employer’s large bar. “That’s the thing, isn’t it? Buffy is ‘almost’ shacked up with Angel O’Connor; but not married to him. Don’t you think that’s a little off?”

“How so?” Spike inquired with a raised dark brow that did not match his blond-silver hair at all.

“You gotta’ ask yourself, Spike,” Xander flopped on the large, rather old sofa and put his huge feet on the coffee table. “Why hasn’t Buffy married Angel, yet, anyway? To hear Anya tell it, the guy’s been beggin’ Buffy to marry him for months. But, Buffy holds out? Why? Anya’s been talkin’ to Willow and Willow’s been tellin’ Oz and Oz told me that…”

“I think the whole bloody lot of you just talk to hear yourselves gab,” Spike spat, impatiently. “Besides,” he scowled angrily, or was that in jealousy, “Angel’s just what Buffy wants. Isn’t he? He has power, money, lots of money, right? The bloke can keep my Buffy in jewels and furs for eternity.”

Spike blushed, unfortunately, when he realized he’d referred to Buffy as ‘his’ again. Buffy Summers had not been his for nearly four years now.


‘Flashback; four years before; Spike’s POV’


Spike Jameson walked into his apartment and glanced about, anxiously. He had just had the worst fucking day, evening and night of his entire miserable life.

The only thing in the world that could save this whole day was if Buffy was home, early, from the club she worked at. All’s he wanted to do was to have a quick drink; take a bath, preferably with Buffy in the tub with him; and get between the sheets with his golden princess, Buffy.

Happily, Spike noticed Buffy’s new fur stole, flung over the sofa in the front room. He had just bought that for his girl, Buffy, for her birthday last month.

Although Buffy kept certain items; personal things and clothes and such at his place? For a night, or nights, as the case usually was, that she spent with him? The stole went with her everywhere, even to work at the Easy Street Club; the joint she worked at. Spike himself had gotten her the job, just over two years before.

Smiling, gleefully, like a small boy at Christmas, Spike strode over to the bar and made himself a drink.

“Buffy!” He finally called out to his girl, “I’m home. Get out here girl. I’ve waited all day to see you.”

Spike was so excited that he could barely contain himself. After the violent ugliness of earlier today? A night spent in Buffy’s arms was more then welcome for him.

“The bloke had it comin’ to him,” Spike tried to reassure himself and assuage his own guilt. The ‘bloke’ he was mumbling about had been a regular client of Spike’s, and Angel’s since he worked for him.

Sam Snyder was into Angel for thousands of dollars; mostly from bad bets. When the bloody fool had decided not to pay off his debts? What choice did Spike have but to teach the idiot a lesson. Angel demanded some kind of payment due and it was Spike’s job after all.

Spike himself had stopped meting out punishment and ‘lesson’s personally a while back. It had been at least a year since he’d busted a guy’s head, or broke any arms or fingers. Well, he had beat up a guy, lately, but that was because the whelp made a move on his Buffy. What else was a guy in love supposed to do?

Now, the blond bookie left the punishment up to his two muscle boys, Riley Finn and Jesse. They were the ones that beat the shit out of poor Snyder, on Spike’s orders of course; and he had to be there for it.

“Buffy!” Spike yelled again, “get your luscious arse out here!”
He drank down the whiskey in his glass, quickly and turned to the bedroom door.

Buffy was standing there, in the doorway, but not looking at all how Spike thought she would. He’d imagined she’d still be wearing the slinky dress from tonight’s show, at the Club. Or maybe even one of the naughty little negligees that he’d bought her recently. Instead, Buffy wore a simple light grey dress; almost prim and proper in style.

Spike reared back at the sight; not that Buffy wasn’t gorgeous in anything she wore and all. But, he preferred her naked and willing to…

“What’s this?” He suddenly asked, puzzled by Buffy’s dress and her distant attitude with him.

He set his empty glass on the bar and quickly closed the gap between Buffy and him. The alarms were going off in his head that something was way off here. This inner fear was confirmed when Spike reached out to take Buffy in his arms and she pulled away from him. Buffy never, ever pulled away from him.

“Okay Princess,” Spike sighed heavily, “what’s with the ice act? What’s got your knickers in a twist this time?”

Buffy looked up from the floor and finally met his gaze; her green eyes were wide and troubled. Spike’s senses went on high alert and he realized that this time, something was very, very wrong with his lover.

“We need to talk, William,” Buffy whispered, her green eyes serious and pained. “I…” her voice trailed off and she glanced at something on the floor, next to her.

Spike finally noticed the small suitcase that sat next to Buffy’s petite well-heeled feet. He recognized his girl’s little suitcase and realized that it was packed, neatly no doubt, to the gills.

“What the fuck is this!” Spike roared, his blue eyes narrowed into slits of confused anger. His clenched left fist pointed at the ugly suitcase on the floor.

He had momentarily forgotten that Buffy hated blatant profanity. His golden princess only enjoyed that kind of talk during their lovemaking; then she seemed to thrive on it.

“Don’t swear, William,” Buffy snarled as she crossed her arms over her ample chest and stuck out her chin, defiantly. “You’re better then that,” she added in a much less nasty tone then seconds before.

“Buffy, what are you playing at?” Spike murmured rather calmly, he felt; for him anyway. “Why is your suitcase packed, with all of your things stashed here; I figure anyway?”

Spike was trying so fucking hard not to let the panic in his voice show. This was one of those times he needed to be all big bad Spike with Buffy. But, frankly, his little firecracker was scaring the shit out of him. Especially since she was in her ‘Buffy goes to war’ stanza that could terrify his most hardened man.

He took another step closer to her and watched as she took two steps back from him.

‘At least she’s moving into the bedroom,’ he thought with some relief. ‘If I can just get her, on the bed and…’

As if Buffy could read his mind, she stopped in her tracks and placed her hands on her lovely little hips. The pain in her green eyes was gone; replaced by something else that Spike couldn’t quite place.

“What did you do today?” Buffy finally asked, though Spike sensed she already knew.

“Worked,” he grunted as he crossed his own arms across his chest. “What else would I do?” He replied with a raised brow, “Besides, I asked you what the bloody hell this was about.” Again, he pointed, accusingly, at the ugly suitcase.

“This is about me leaving you, William,” Buffy sighed deeply, her voice tinged in sad defeat.

“Leaving me!” Spike couldn’t help but scream again. “You’re not leaving me,” he added angrily as he reached out and grasped Buffy to him, forcefully.

“I am, Will,” Buffy insisted in a very quiet voice. “I have to go; this isn’t working between us and…”

“What the fuck do you mean this isn’t working between us! It’s fucking amazing between us!” Although he was trying hard, Spike’s irrational panic was overwhelming him. All’s he could think of is that Buffy was leaving him; leaving from him; going away from him.

“Please Will,” Buffy whispered in a strained tone, “This just isn’t working. For me, anyway. I’ve tried to make it jake; our thing we have and all, but…”

“Tried to make it jake,” he repeated in a strangled scream. “You’ve been working at ‘us’ is it?” Spike couldn’t believe this. It was like some fucking nightmare and he was totally lost by now.

“Where’s this coming from, Buffy,” he asked in a more rational manner. First, he had to take a deep breath and swallow hard, though.

“What’s to work at?” He continued harshly, “we love each other. We have bloody amazing sex; I give you everything you want, don’t I?”

“Yeah,” Buffy whispered, unable to look at him, but still in his arms. Frankly Spike was pretty amazed that she hadn’t tried to struggle free from him. This was new, especially when they were having one of their famous rows.

“You’ve given me everything a girl could want, honey,” she continued sadly, shaking her head. “But I just can’t live on jewels, furs and money, baby. I need more and…”

“Marry me,” Spike blurted out, ashamed of how desperate his tone sounded. “If you wanna’ get married, we will. Tomorrow; tonight if you want. You know I wanna’ marry you, baby, so we’ll just go and…”

“No, Will,” she mumbled, finally looking him in the face again. He saw the tiny tears that filled her beautiful green eyes and felt his heart break into a million pieces.

“Then what is it I’m not giving you, Princess,” he choked out, trying to fight his own tears.

“Your true self,” Buffy mumbled half-heartedly.

“My what?” Spike asked incredulously. “Buffy, baby, I’ve given you all of myself that I know how to. I want to marry you; have babies with you, live out our lives together. What the hell can I do to give more to you?”

“You’re better self,” Buffy murmured, finally pulling out of his arms. “Your real self, not the two-bit hood you’ve become.”

Spike wasn’t sure if he’d heard her right, but when she bent down to pick up her little suitcase, he snapped completely.

“Fuck this!” He screamed at the top of his lungs, yanking the suitcase from her hand and throwing it back into the bedroom.

“You’re not going anywhere,” he roared as he spun her around and pinned her against the nearest wall.

“I am,” Buffy retorted sternly, but she pouted, just a bit, he noticed.

‘I love that lower lip of hers,’ he thought sadly. ‘How can she do this? Just come in here and tell me she’s dumping me? What…’

A very ugly suspicion began to worm its way into Spike’s horrified mind. He suddenly got a visual of ‘his’ Buffy in the arms of another bloke. Now, things were beginning to make some sense.

“Who is he?” Spike snarled down at her upturned, slightly fearful face.

“Who’s who?” Buffy spat back in reply.

“Whoever you’re fooling around with, behind my back. What’s he got that I don’t? More money?” Spike hated the fact that he sounded like some bleedin’ nancy boy or cuckolded husband.

“There is no ‘he’ in the picture, William,” Buffy groaned audibly. “For God’s sake Will,” she continued, “I don’t need a man so bad in my life that I’d leave ‘you’ for one. I…”

“Right,” Spike spat back nastily, “remember something Goldilocks. I know you, inside and out and I know what makes you tick, pretty much anyway. You’d have to have a good time bloke around to pick up the slack if you walk out on me. What’s he got? A bigger dick then me? What did it take for your lover boy to get you to spread those dimpled knees of yours? Did he…”

He was stunned, kind of, when Buffy swung her right hand up and hit him full force on the cheek. Actually, he was surprised the hit wasn’t more forceful. His girl packed a mean punch when she wanted to.

“Asshole!” Buffy snarled, pushing him away from her.

While Spike took a moment to recover, Buffy strode over to her suitcase and picked it up again.

“Thanks for making this a hundred times easier,” she spat as she flew by him and through the bedroom door. “I’m not taking the mink, or the last bracelet,” she called over her shoulder. “I wouldn’t take them if my life depended on it!”

“Buffy!” Spike yelled, basically running after her at a full sprint. “Listen,” he ordered as he grabbed her arm and spun her to face him.

“I’m sorry,” he choked out. “I know there’s no other bloke, it’s just you’ve thrown me this time. Everything is so good between us and all. I love you, so much. Why? Why are you leaving me?”

If he wasn’t so confused and upset, Spike would have been mortified by his whining and pleading. He loved Buffy, desperately, and there was no way he could let her leave him.

“It’s not because of another man, I promise,” Buffy murmured in a lost little girl’s voice. “It is because of you, Will,” she added with a sad shake of her head. “I do love you, Will. I do, but you just don’t get it. You’re not the man I fell in love with anymore; not even close to him. You’re not my poet, William; you’re Spike and frankly, seeing you, as you are now? It breaks my heart because I miss my wonderful William so much.”

Buffy pulled away from Spike and turned for the door. “I gotta’ go William,” he heard her mumble. “My ride’s waiting downstairs.”

“Don’t! Buffy, don’t leave me, please.” Spike pleaded as he rushed after her.

She stopped and turned to face him at the door; tears streaming down her pretty face. “I have to,” she said simply and then, she was gone out of Spike’s front door. And his life.



Spike spent the night getting stone cold drunk and passing out on the living room floor. When he woke up, with a hell of a hangover in the morning, he began to seek out Buffy everywhere he could think of.

He found out that she had quit her job at Easy Street; sublet her apartment and fled New York City, apparently. Spike made hasty calls to his connections to see if Buffy had returned to her parents’ home in Sunnydale, California. But, no go. Buffy had simply disappeared from the face of the earth within the last thirty-six hours.

After that, Spike got drunk again and stayed that way for at least a month. Finally, Xander Harris showed up at his place, blathering on about a ‘friend in need’ and made sure that Spike sobered up enough to handle business, at least.

Once he’d taken care of certain things, Spike sought out Buffy again. Unfortunately, he was unable to find her through anyone he knew.

About three weeks after Harris played the white knight and made Spike sober up, the dark haired man showed up at the apartment one night. He somberly walked into Spike’s living room and flopped on the couch, laying what looked like the New York Times Society Page on the coffee table.

“Spike,” Xander began with pause, “you know that little seamstress that I just started steppin’ out with? Anya?”

“Yeah,” Spike replied, taking a deep drink on his whiskey and an even deeper drag on his smoke.

“Well,” Xander continued, reluctantly, “she’s into reading the ‘Trade’ and Times Society page. Anya loves the gossip and all…”

“What’s this about Harris?” Spike asked impatiently. Anymore, if the conversation wasn’t about work or Buffy, Spike didn’t give a fuck about it.

“It’s Buffy, Spike,” Harris sighed as he pointed a circled news item. “She’s in this article.”

Spike grabbed the paper and stared in disbelief at the rather long news item in the paper.

Buffy’s name was there, being linked with some bloody idiot by the name of Parker Abrams.

“Anya says that this Abrams kid? He’s rich with Daddy’s money, some big shot steel guy, in Philly. That’s where Buffy must have gone, when she left,” the usually animated man’s voice trailed off weakly.

“That fucking bitch!” Spike roared, ripping the paper in two and flinging it about his living room. “She did leave me for another guy! That lying little deceitful little whore!”

“Now wait a second, here,” Xander stood and raised his hands, almost defensively. “You shouldn’t oughta’ talk about the girl you love like that, Spike. Buffy told you she didn’t leave you for another guy; I believe her. She’s never been a liar, Spike, just a little confused sometimes.”

Spike glared at Xander, but he knew his friend was right. Buffy wasn’t a liar, at least never to him. The rich whelp must have befriended her and…

“I can’t fucking believe this,” Spike muttered miserably as he flopped down the couch himself. “She’s really gone, Xander,” he whispered in disbelief. Then he broke down and began to cry like a little boy.


‘Present Day’


Xander was rambling on about some ‘normal’ bollocks that yanked Spike from his trip down memory lane. He glared at the dark-haired man, angrily.

“What’s this crap about Buffy and normal?” Spike asked impatiently. “Angel’s about as normal as a serial killer in Attica,” he finished with a gruff snort.

“Yeah,” Xander chuckled, “so what’s deal then? Buffy’s with Angel, true, but she sure as hell ain’t marrying him, is she? And just how long did that thing with Parker Abrams last?”

“About a year,” Spike mumbled in reply. “She ran back to New York City, soon after…” He didn’t finish his sentence.

“Right,” Xander blurted, “she came back, right after that mess with Abrams was finished. Got a job at Angel’s joint and then ended up with him. But, Jesus, Spike,” he continued, “why don’t Buffy marry Peaches, as you call him? Because she doesn’t love him,” Xander answered smugly.

“She’s not a good enough actress, Harris,” Spike grumbled, taking a long swig on his drink. “To fool even a moron like Peaches? Buffy’s not that good of an actress at all. As far as Abrams goes? I always figured that his folks finally saw through Buffy like a just cleaned pane glass window. Saw what a gold-digger she really is and…”

“You don’t buy that, Spike,” Xander snorted. “A dame like Buffy wants things from life, you know? Things that maybe some dames like my Anya don’t give a rat’s about. Look,” Xander leaned over the coffee table and stared at his boss, thoughtfully.

“My girl is happy, with things the way they are. Anya just wants good sex, which I give her,” Xander chuckled smugly. “That and an allowance from me. Money and sex, that’s the ticket for my girl, Anya. So,” Xander shrugged, “she’s happy with things the way they are. But Buffy…”

“Buffy?” Spike asked, still a little confused for some reason.

“Buffy needs more,” Xander mumbled, not looking at Spike. “She needs a guy who’s got more of a 9 to 5 stint. Something legitimate for her and kids. It’s not like she doesn’t love you, still…”

Spike snorted in disbelief again, but he decided to listen to Xander, completely, for once.

“I get the feeling that Buffy always thought you were better then this,” Xander added quickly. “Like being a bookie wasn’t good enough for you, much less her?”

“Hmmm,” Spike muttered as he took a drink from his glass and another long drag from his smoke.

“For all her tough dame act? Buffy’s as meek as a kitten, boss, you know that,” Xander finished earnestly.

“Yeah,” Spike mumbled as he stared out at the scene from his balcony. “Maybe.”

Buffy stared at her reflection, in the mirror of her special dressing room at the club. She looked like crap lately, really, since there were dark bluish rings under both her eyes.

Angel, her boyfriend, was supposed to go to Chicago in two days and Buffy supposed there’d have to be a big ‘goodbye’ scene before he left. Hopefully, not tonight, though.

William being at Heaven’s Haven last night had really thrown Buffy for a loop. She was still pretty unnerved by her ex-lover’s presence at her job. Not that he hadn’t been there before, of course, because he had. However, he hadn’t been there in a while and Buffy had kind of numbed herself to his sudden appearances until now.

Angel took that moment to saunter into her dressing room, without a knock even. Again.

‘Will never would have done that,’ Buffy thought with a tinge of resentment. ‘He always respected me, at least,’ she remembered sadly.

“I’ve gotta’ go to Spike’s tonight,” Angel announced without any greeting. “Business and such, before I leave town. I’ll stop by your place tonight, after and…”

The large dark man had embraced Buffy roughly, from behind, and pulled her to him. There had been no premise of tenderness or words of affection before Angel had ‘claimed’ Buffy physically. He just strode into her room; grabbed her in a vice-like grip and started spewing crap, as usual.

“I have one of my bad headaches coming on!” Buffy blurted out without thinking. “It’s a bad one, too. I think I was off key on the last song, baby,” she muttered as she stared at her jewelry box on the vanity.

“You were perfect,” Angel protested, brokenly. “Your voice is better then ever, baby,” he added smugly. “Good place to work, for once and you’re doing better then ever.” He ran his meaty hand down the side of Buffy’s tender cheek.

“Do you mind if we put off the ‘goodbye’ night until tomorrow?” Buffy whispered, still staring at her jewelry box. “I’ll be in much better shape and all. I can really send you off, to Chicago, in style,” she turned and winked at Angel, wickedly.

“Okay,” Angel replied in a disappointed voice. “We can go to supper, paint the town and then head back to ‘my’ place for dessert, huh?”

“Yeah,” Buffy whispered as her man kissed the top of her golden head, affectionately. “We’ll have dessert at your place,” she finished mechanically.

“I’ll be at the Club, tomorrow then. Skip the last two shows and we’ll go out, eh?” Angel grinned at the mirror to Buffy’s reflection.

“Sure,” Buffy mumbled as Angel turned and left the dressing room..

‘Oh brother,’ Buffy sighed inwardly, ‘I’m a really crummy girlfriend to Angel. Always have been, really. Maybe it’s because when Angel calls me baby? It’s just not the same as when William did.’


A/N: Next chapter: Angel leaves town after making business arrangements with Spike and his cronies (it involves a race horse).

A desperate man, with a young daughter, pleads with Spike to help him and unknowingly sets events in motion that will alter everyone’s lives.

Thanks for reading, please review, spufette.
Chapter 2: 'The Horse; The Scheme; The Marker' by spufette
Author's Notes:
I hope I get readers and reviews for this. I'm trying really hard to get this fic going in the right direction.
(Spuffy stuff will start...soon!)
Chapter 2: ‘The Horse; The Scheme; The Marker’


Summary: Spike gets an unexpected surprise in this chapter that will turn out to change his life. Will it be for the good?

Buffy mulls over her feelings about the men in her life. Will she do something incredibly stupid?


Angelus had been gone, to Chicago, for less then forty-eight hours and Spike was more then ready to make his appearance at Heaven’s Haven. Just to irk the great Princess Buffy, or at least he told himself that. It had been two days and nights since Peaches had left for the Windy City and the blond bookie was more then ready to stir up some trouble with his ex-girlfriend.

Spike was more then aware that his very presence angered his little Goldielocks and he couldn’t wait to push the issue even more. Especially with the great Angelus gone for two weeks.

Angel had shown up at Spike’s apartment, two nights before, all full of piss and vinegar about this bloody piece of horsemeat, The Charger. Although Spike took bets, placed bets and ran odds on all kinds of horse racing, etc. He still didn’t like Angel’s latest scheme, not one bit.

There was a bloke by the name of ‘The Doctor’ who worked for Angel that had a nasty little habit of ‘coking’ racing thoroughbreds like The Charger. The horse would be a kind of ringer; a pony that might not be a winner, or even a show spot. This ‘Doc’ would shoot a highball of coke and some other nasty little concoction into the targeted steed, just before the race. When the race was over, the chosen horse would win, yes, but the poor beast would drop dead of heart failure soon after.

It was a sure way for Angel to clean up on bets, since the customers would always bet for the sure thing; another horse. When the second best racer would win, the payoffs would be staggering, especially for Angel.



Since Spike was Angel’s best bookie, it was his job to take the high rolling bets and make sure that this Doc did his job. Spike would do it, of course, but he didn’t have to like it. Which he didn’t.

Spike checked his look in the full length mirror that Buffy had hung in his bedroom, four years before. Just glancing in the mirror caused Spike another strong sense of loss.

‘Four bloody years and I still can’t get the bird out of my head,’ he grumbled to himself as he straightened his tie. ‘She’ll fucking haunt me for the rest of my miserable life.’

Johnathan, Spike’s butler, was scurrying about, making his breakfast. Johnny boy had been in Spike’s employ since before Buffy had left him, years before. The butler was Spike’s way of holding onto some semblance of his Buffy, in some way. Even though Jonathan had married by now, with a wife and two kids.

There was a quick, urgent knock at his apartment door and Spike swore angrily. Buffy’s first show would be starting, that night at 7:00 and Spike intended on being there. In full view of the little bitch and…

“Who the bloody hell is it!” Spike shouted through the door before opening it.

“My name’s Ted Merrick Mr. Jameson,” came a nervous answer form the other side of the door. “Angel O’Connor sent me to see you.”

“Oh Christ,” Spike growled under his breath. “Peaches is gone for just two days and he’s still fucking around with me.” Without thinking, Spike threw the front door open and glowered at this Ted what's-his-name.

“What the fuck do you…” Spike barked angrily, until he spied a little girl, standing next to this Ted fellow. Just by the look of it, Spike guessed that these two must be related; the child had this Merrick’s blue eyes.

“Mr. O’ Connor,” the nervous bloke repeated, “he sent me. He sent me from Chicago, just yesterday. It’s a debt, something I owe Mr. O’Connor,” the man finished on a weak note.

“What’s this got to do with me?” Spike asked with exasperation. He was still feeling a bit guilty about using a curse word in front of the little girl and it was easier to be angry with this idiot, Merrick.


“Mr. O’Connor said I could come here, to you Mr. Jameson. He said I could place my marker with you and…”

“Your marker?” Spike asked with a raised brow. Spike came to the conclusion, from the first, that this Merrick bloke didn’t have two bits to rub together. Much less any real marker for a bet.

“My daughter,” Merrick mumbled sheepishly, “she’s the marker.”

“No bloody way!” Spike hissed in self-righteous shock. (As if Spike Jameson could be shocked, self-righteously or in any way).


“Mr. O’Connor,” the man interjected, “he said you’d be a bit put off and all. But it’s true, Mr. Jameson. Angel O’Connor said I should come to you and offer my little girl as my marker. The ‘deal’ is a sure thing, Mr. Jameson. I swear on my little girl’s sweet head. Mr. O’Connor said to call him, right away. He said you’d have the phone number, in Chicago and…”

Spike spun about and headed to his phone; a man with a mission, of sorts anyway. He flipped open his notebook and looked up Angel’s number, in Chicago, then dialed it quickly.

‘If this bastard is lying,’ Spike grumbled to himself as he waited for the operator to place the call. ‘I’ll rip his head off, kid or no kid and…’

Angel actually answered the call, pretty fast for him, Spike thought.

‘Bloody hell,’ Spike mused, ‘Peaches finally learned how to answer the telly. There is hope for the free world. All by himself!’

Spike listened as Angel rambled on about this Merrick bloke and the debt this dead beat owed him. It was plenty; that was for sure. Apparently Merrick’s wife had died years before and the kid was all the loser had in the world. This deal was supposed to be a sure thing, according to Angel. Ted Merrick should be back from the deal by that night and the kid, Dawn was it? She’d be gone back with daddy, by no later then 8:00 or 9:00 PM that evening.

“You owe me Spikey,” Angel had muttered to Spike with a wicked laugh. “Come on, surely the great Spike can handle a measly little brat for a day, right? Pawn her off on Johnathan, he’s got experience with these little rugrats. It’s for a day; you owe me; I own you.”

‘Is that a female’s voice I hear,’ Spike wondered as he heard the distinct sound of a bird’s laughter at the other end of the phone line. ‘I wonder if Buffy knows…’

“Do I have any bloody choice?” Spike asked his employer with a growl.

“Not really,” Angel chuckled in reply. “Come on, Spike, you can handle a little dame like old Teddy boy’s brat. Give her a lollipop and have Johnny entertain her. This deal is so sweet and I’m sure that we’ll all makes thousands from it!”

In the end, Spike had no choice but to accept his boss’s terms and allow this desperate bloke, Ted Merrick to leave his own child as a marker. Spike didn’t like it, but there it was.

“Get out,” Spike barked at the weak ponce of a man, after he’d hung up the phone. “We’ll take care of your kid,” he added gruffly. He glanced at Johnathan, who seemed quite taken with the idea of babysitting this little brat.

“Get back here, by no later then 8:00 tonight,” Spike added with menace. “Or I’ll…”

“I’ll be back, tonight, baby,” Ted murmured to the stoic little girl as he bent to kiss her cheek. “You be good for Mr. Jameson and his friend, right?”

“Right Daddy,” the little girl replied in a childish voice. “I’ll see you tonight Daddy,” she finished with a sigh.

Ted Merrick nearly ran from the apartment, leaving behind a shell-shocked Spike; a beaming Johnathan and a very confused small child.

“Uhm, Mr. Jameson,” Johnathan mumbled, “your breakfast is ready, sir.”

“Right,” Spike spat back as he eyed the little ‘marker’ that stood next to him. The child held a stuffed pink pig in her arms; Spike hadn’t noticed that before now.

“Kid? You hungry? When was the last time you ate?” Spike asked the girl, warily.

“For the record,” the girl began in a very grown up manner, “my name is Dawn Merrick. I’m named after my Granny Dawn Lee, my mommy’s momma. And, yes, I’m starved. Daddy bought me a hot dog, yesterday, at the train station in Chicago.”

Spike frowned briefly, ‘bastard couldn’t even feed his kid,’ he thought, disgusted at the missing father.

“Johnathan,” Spike addressed his butler, “set another plate on the table. We’ll be havin’ company for breakfast.”


Buffy brushed on the pale blush, to her pallid cheeks as she checked her look in her dressing room mirror. Even though everyone about her told her she looked great, she couldn’t help but feel that she lacked something. Some ‘spark’ of some kind.

It was now 10:30 PM, the beginning of her last set at the club, and Buffy felt oddly disappointed for some reason. Angel had been gone for over two days and nights, and Buffy had been sure that William would make an unannounced appearance at the club. However, he hadn’t showed up and for some reason, this really bugged Buffy.

For some reason, Buffy had thought that William, or Spike as he preferred to be called, would show up while Angel was gone. Just to irk her off, if for no other reason. Spike hadn’t shown up; Buffy was less then pleased about that that was for sure.

“Why the hell should I be surprised,” Buffy huffed at her reflection. “William would never go against Angel, he’s too, too…well, he’s too damn weak. That’s why I left his sorry ass in the first place!”

“Miss Buffy,” Andrew’s sweet voice interrupted her angry thoughts, “it’s time for your next set, dear.”

“Thank you Andrew,” Buffy replied, all business and professional like. “I’ll be out in a sec.”


Buffy sidled up onto the dim lit stage, her red, spangly dress was smoothed and the picture of perfection. She sat on the piano, played by Daniel Osbourne, her best friend Willow’s guy. The crowd quieted, even the waiters and waitresses who poured the forbidden alcohol into their glasses.


Daniel began the introduction to the Gershwin brothers’ song that Buffy was going to begin the set with:


‘There’s a saying old, says that love is blind
Still we’re often told seek and ye shall find
So I’m seeking for a certain lad…I’ve in mind

Looking everywhere, haven’t found him yet
He’s the big affair I cannot forget
Only man I ever think of with regret…

I’d like to add his initial to my monogram
Tell me, where is the shepherd for this lost lamp?

There’s a somebody I’m longing to see
I hope that he turns out to be
Someone who’ll watch over me
I’m a little lamb who’s lost in the wood
I know I could always be good
To one who’ll watch over me

Although he may not be the man some
Girls think of as handsome
To my heart, he’ll carry the key

Won’t you tell him please to put on some speed
Follow my lead, oh, how I need
Someone who’ll watch over me

(Words and lyrics by George and Ira Gershwin)


Buffy was back, in front of her dressing room mirror. She looked at her reflection with a raised brow.

‘You look like crap,’ she told herself ruefully. ‘Didn’t anyone tell you that booze and…’

“Miss Summers,” came Andrew’s excited voice from behind the door. “I’ve got a message for you!”

Buffy groaned, for some reason, but bade Andrew to come inside her room.

“There’s a young gentleman,” Andrew gushed happily as he held out a bouquet of roses and a note. “He’s been out in the show room, for all of your performances tonight. His name is Holden Webster III and he wishes to have a talk with you!”

Buffy wasn’t sure, but she could swear that Andrew was more excited by this Holden’s request then she might be. However, since Angel was in Chicago, and Buffy knew, most likely, that her boyfriend was not alone in the Windy City? Then, she figured, what was the harm in accepting Mr. Holden Webster’s flowers and his request?


A/N: A quick note…I seemed to have talked my hubby out of the camping trip for various reasons! Yeah! I detest camping, even in a motor home.

Anyway, I can update all my fics through the week now and I’m so happy!

Next chapter, coming soon: Spike gets another unexpected, albeit nice surprise visit in the early morning hours! Who could it be?

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.
Chapter 3: 'Steppin' Out; Or Steppin' In It!' by spufette
Author's Notes:
All of my love and support to the hurricane victims.
Bless you all and take care.
LITTLE MISSY; THE MARKER


Chapter 3: ‘Steppin’ Out; Or, Steppin In It!’


Summary: Spike tries to adapt to babysitting, with his butler’s help. Buffy drops by and Spike saves her…

A/N: I’m cutting this chapter short, because I am working on other fics and trying to keep up with the news about Hurricane Katrina.

I am proud to say that the company I work for is matching, dollar for dollar, any donations that we employees are making for the hurricane victims!


“Bloody hell!” Spike swore as he lit another smoke and tried to read the racing form for tomorrow. It was nearly 2:00 AM and that bastard, Merrick, had not shown up when he was supposed to earlier.

Spike had watched the clock tick past 8:00 PM, then 9:00 PM and finally, 10:00 PM! Still no Theodore ‘Ted’ Merrick and the little doll ‘Dawn’ was it? She was still here, in Spike’s place, now asleep in his guest room.

After refilling his glass with some Jack, Spike flopped back down on the easy chair and took another drag of his cigarette. When 9:00 had come and gone, he had offered poor Johnathan an extra hundred bucks to stay the night and help out with the little girl. Johnathan had quickly called his wife and assured her that he’d be home in the morning and that there was some easy money in it for them.

Spike suspected that Johnathan actually felt it his responsibility to help watch out for the poor little doll. Especially since her old man had seemingly abandoned her in this hell hole of Spike’s apartment. It had been close to 9:00 when Johnathan had suggested that the poor kid have some supper whipped up for her and Spike had agreed.

Since early that morning, the kid, Dawn was it? She had sat, uncomplaining, listening to some silly crap on the radio and eating candy that Johnathan had rushed out to buy for her. The little doll had sat, quietly, watching Spike as he went over numbers on paper and tried to ignore her as much as possible.

Every once in a while, Spike would hear the kid mumbled to her stuffed pig, or pick up some stupid book she’d dragged with her. Around noon, Dawn had mentioned the book, for about the tenth time. It was some bloody nonsense about King Arthur and the Round Table. The poor kid was in love with the whole bloody notion of the King, his Knights and their lady loves.

Spike and this Dawn brat had been chowing down their supper; steak and potatoes, something that seemed to be pretty foreign to the little doll when she suddenly blurted out:

“Do you have a lady love ‘Sir’ Spike? Do you have a Princess?” The kid asked, all wide-eyed and innocent.


With a grunt, Spike shook his head and replied gruffly: “I did, once. Her name’s Elizabeth, well, Buffy is what she’s called,” he added with a snort.

“Did she die?” Dawn had whispered in a strange voice.

“No,” Spike replied in a bitter tone. “She ran off with a court jester,” he ‘almost’ chuckled at that. “Then she came back and set up castle with an idiot of a dark prince,” he finished on a sour note.

“I’m so sorry Sir Spike,” Dawn sighed heavily. “My Daddy says that my Mommy, Princess Anne? She died and went to Heaven and left me and Daddy all alone.” Dawn whimpered slightly and Spike noticed she pouted a bit. A ‘bit’ like Buffy used to, he noted.

There was a sudden ‘tug’ at Spike’s cold black heart when the kid had mentioned her dead mother.

‘Just like Buffy’s mum, Joyce,’ Spike reminded himself. ‘The little ‘bit’ll’ be left alone if her dad doesn’t come back for her. Just like my sister and me,’ he added silently. Although Spike had no need to remind himself of his parents’ early demise from this planet. He’d been only ten when his folks had been killed. His loony sister, Drusilla, had been what? Twelve? Thirteen, when the British courts sent them off to an orphanage?

“Eat your dinner,” Spike had ordered the girl, gruffly. Which, she did, quite happily.

Xander Harris had showed up at Spike’s, around midnight. He had some cash markers for a two-bit race that was supposed to happen tomorrow. Or was that later today now?

Anyway, when Harris had found out who the little doll was and why she was at Spikes? The dark haired man almost split his gut, laughing at Spike’s ridiculous situation.

“I wondered why you weren’t down at Heaven’s Haven, annoying the fuck out of Buffy,” Xander roared with laughter. “I knew you had to have a good reason not to be a pain in the delectable Miss Summers’ ass…”

“Don’t you have a girl to go home to,” Spike had growled, menacingly, at Xander. “Get your arse out of here and….”

Dawn had broken in there, “I like Mr. Xander, Mr. Spike,” she giggled, shyly. “He’s Sir Xander; the White Knight. The most pure and noble knight,” she finished with another little giggle.

“Why thank you little miss.” Xander chuckled, “I knew it was just a matter of time before ‘some’ dame figured out what a real catch I am and…”

“Pure and noble,” Spike snorted in disgust. “Believe me ‘Bit’ he directed his mutter at Dawn, “there’s nothing pure and noble about Harris here!”

“Now don’t take away a little dame’s dreams, Spike,” Xander laughed good-naturedly. “And, say, why did you just call her ‘Bit’ anyway?”

“I don’t know,” Spike mumbled, slightly embarrassed by his slip. “I guess it’s cos Dawn here has a ‘bit’ of Buffy in her. She’s a tough little bird, and…oh bloody hell, Harris! Get out and go home to Anya!”

“You oughta' not talk in front of the little dame like that Spike,” Harris grew serious. “Besides the little doll should be in bed by now, it’s after midnight.”

“When did you become an expert on anything but race horses and poker, Harris?” Spike was beginning to get pretty damned anxious about the Bit’s Da and why he hadn’t come to get his precious daughter.

“Mr. Harris is right, Mr. Jameson,” Johnathan suddenly appeared from the guest bedroom. “I’ve made up the spare room, for the little miss, here,” the short man smiled affectionately at Dawn, pleased when the girl grinned back at him.

“Go on then,” Spike groused at the tiny girl, but he smiled when she yawned back at him.

“I am rather tired,” Dawn nodded and yawned again. “Good night Mr. Spike and Mr. Xander. It was nice to meet you,” she finished, sleepily as she took Mr. Johnathan’s hand. The butler led the little girl into bedroom after telling her to wash up for bed.

“Seriously, Spike,” Xander had asked, suddenly very somber, “if the little dame’s dad doesn’t show? Whatcha’ gonna’ do?”


Xander had posed that question, nearly two hours before this, and Spike still hadn’t come up with an answer. For himself or Xander, who had finally gone home to his girlfriend.

Spike sat on his couch, a nearly empty glass of whisky in his left hand. He stared out at the open window of his apartment balcony, aimlessly.

The thought of that poor little kid, Dawn, sleeping in his guest room, unaware that her dad should have been back here hours ago. It just ripped Spike up inside. He knew well as anything, that something had gone wrong with Merrick’s sure deal. In the end, it would be the little doll who’d suffer the most from it. Just like himself and his big sis, Drusilla.

Spike sat, half asleep on his couch, the now empty glass on the coffee table before him. The big grandfather clock had struck 2:00, at least fifteen minutes before and he was aware that Johnathan must have fallen asleep in his bedroom.

‘Whatever,’ Spike shrugged as he shifted to make himself more comfortable on the couch. ‘I’ll just…’

There was a sudden, urgent knocking at his apartment door. Spike bolted up from the couch, momentarily dazed and confused.

“Who the bloody hell is that?” He grumbled, then remembered that it might be the ‘Bit’s’ dad, come to fetch her.

Spike hurried to the door, glancing, briefly into the peephole to make sure it was the girl’s father. To say that he, Spike Jameson was stunned when he saw just ‘who’ it really was? That would have been a bloody understatement.

Without hesitation, Spike threw the door open and glared, openly at Buffy, who stood on the other side of it. Some young, overdressed, underage confused looking whelp was standing next to her.

“Honey, I’m home,” Buffy greeted William in a sugary voice. “This nice kid, Holden was it,” she sang breezily as she grinned at the young man. “He escorted me home tonight. Wasn’t that just the nicest though?”

Buffy gave William a pointed, but discreet look that said ‘help me ditch this guy’ as she started into the apartment. Just like she really should be there!

Spike fought off the immediate urge to slam the door in Buffy and the strange whelp’s face. Instead, he clasped Buffy, by her slim arm and nearly yanked her rest of the way into his apartment.

“Take a hike mate,” he growled at the stunned youngster. “And thanks, by the way, for bringin’ the lady home,” he added gruffly before slamming the door on this Holden bloke.

Spike spun around to face Buffy, who stood just five feet from him; her tiny hands on her luscious little hips. That was when he first really noticed the beautiful red dress she wore.

‘She’s wearin’ my favorite color, especially on her,’ he thought, tenderly. ‘Well, actually ‘my’ favorite color is black, but how many times had Buffy herself told me that black’s a shade. Not a color?’ He smirked at the thought of his snippy little Goldilocks, but it caused him to miss her more then ever.

“So,” Spike growled at Buffy as a wave of jealousy washed over him. “Angel’s out of town less then three nights and you’re steppin’ out on him with a good time bloke. No,” he continued maliciously, “make that a whelp. Kid looked like he might still be in bloody prep school!”

“Give me a break,” Buffy laughed outright, “that’s Holden Webster III, as in son of Holden Webster the II! The oil tycoon? You know, right? The family’s always in the New York Times, or wait a minute,” Buffy halted her sentence, abruptly.

Spike noticed that Buffy’s lovely mouth was twisted in a sardonic smirk. “That’s right; you don’t read the Times, only racing forms.” She finished with a snort and crossed her arms across her ample breasts.


“Besides,” Buffy snapped, “I’m not that naïve to think that Angel isn’t cooling his heels with some tootsie in Chicago.” She finished with an indifferent shrug, which shocked the shit out of Spike.

“And you put up with it!” Spike cried, incredulously. “Jesus, Buffy,” he continued, nearly snarling, “I never cheated on you while we were together. Why the fuck would you put up with…”

“I know you were faithful to me,” Buffy mumbled under her breath. “But you’re a different man then Angel O’Connor, Will. You’re a better man then him,” she trailed off, embarrassed by her own words.

“Then how come you’re with him and not me?” Spike had whimpered, verbally, before he could help himself. He felt his face grow flush with embarrassment, but he could not bring himself to look away from Buffy.

“Like I said,” Buffy replied meekly, “you’re a better man then Angel.”

“Now what the bloody hell is that supposed to mean and…” Spike began as he closed the gap even further between Buffy and himself. He had to fight the urge to pull his Buffy into his arms and assault her luscious pouty lips with his own.

“Mr. Spike,” came Dawn Merrick’s high pitched voice from the guest bed room door. “Who’s the pretty lady?”

Buffy spun around to face the body that belonged to the voice that had interrupted William and her. She stared, wide-eyed, at the most beautiful little girl she had ever seen.

“I might ask the same thing,” Buffy chuckled, regaining her voice. “Just ‘who’ are you little doll?” She turned to William, her fair right brow raised in question. “You got a kid that you neglected to tell any of us about, William?” Buffy felt a tinge of jealousy as she asked the question.

‘He better not have some kid that he’s stashed away,’ she thought angrily.


“Buffy,” Spike began warily, “it’s like this…”

Dawn interrupted him, immediately, “oh, so you’re Mr. Spike’s princess!” The young girl began to jump up and down where she stood, clapping her hands in excitement. “Have you come back to Mr. Spike then?” Dawn asked innocently.


“Not really,” Buffy replied dryly, but she glared at William as she answered. The tiny blond was getting a real bad feeling about all of this.

“Princess Buffy just stopped by,” Spike muttered, glaring back at Buffy. “She was on her way home from a frat party and…”

“With the idiot dark prince?” Dawn asked coyly, her blue eyes wide with wonder at the pretty lady.

“Idiot dark prince?” Buffy asked the precious child; just a little confused. Then, it suddenly dawned on Buffy that the kid was talking about her own boyfriend, Angel. “So,” Buffy began, harshly, who is the little dame, really?” She stared, pointedly at William, her hands placed strategically on her slim hips.

“This is Dawn Merrick,” Spike mumbled, his eyes focused on his feet. “She’s…”

“I’m not Mr. Spike’s kid, silly,” Dawn giggled. “I’m a marker!” She announced proudly. “My daddy left me with Mr. Spike to cover a sure deal!”

“Oh,” Buffy murmured with a warm smile of relief, “so you’re just a marker for Mr. Spike.” Buffy stood, smiling affectionately at the cute little girl for about a second or two, and then it hit her.

“A marker!” Buffy screeched like an Irish banshee. “What do you mean? A marker!” She spun back around and faced off with William, who seemed to be pretty guilty looking. Right at the moment anyway. “Oh, this low, even for you ‘Spikey’ boy,” Buffy hissed at the blond bookie.

“Now look Buff,” Spike stammered softly, “this wasn’t my idea at all,” he countered in his defense. “It was your bloody boyfriend’s scheme, from the start. He’s the one that made me take the Bit’s dad up on his offer.”

“The dark prince,” Dawn offered politely. “Mr. Spike’s boss is the dark prince. Right Princess Buffy?”

“Yeah,” Buffy hissed through gritted teeth. “So it would seem,” she added impatiently. Right now, Buffy wasn’t sure if she was more ticked off at Angel for suggesting this nonsense, or William for going along with it!

“Bit?” Buffy suddenly asked, puzzled at William’s term of endearment for this little blue-eyed angel of a girl.

“Mr. Spike says I’m a bit like you, Miss Buffy,” Dawn piped in, happily. “He says I’m a stubborn little bint, just like Princess Buffy and…”

Right then, Johnathan Levy took that opportunity to join the merry little group in the living room. It was very fortunate for Spike that his butler interjected at that moment.

“Miss Summers!” Johnathan exclaimed warmly to Buffy. “It’s so good to see you again! Are you home, for good?” He asked it with such guileless abandon that Buffy couldn’t help but smile back at Johnathan.

“No, Johnny,” Buffy whispered, almost sorrowfully. “I’ve just stopped by tonight. In the nick of time I might add,” she finished with a scowl at Will.

“Oh, that’s too bad,” Johnathan answered with pursed lips. “I was hoping…”

“Go home,” Spike spat at his butler. “Go home to your wife and kids, now,” he finished with a grunt.

“Yes sir, Mr. Jameson,” Johnathan nodded eagerly. The butler seemed more then anxious to get out of there.

Once Johnathan left the living room, Buffy turned back to the little girl and smiled at her with affection. “Why don’t you get back to bed, honey,” she offered. “Even pretty little dames like you need your beauty sleep. Besides,” she added evenly, “Mr. Spike and Princess Buffy need to have an adult chat together.”

“Yes Miss Buffy,” Dawn giggled. “I am very, very tired,” she added with a yawn. “Will you come in, later, and make sure I’m all tucked in?”

“I will,” Buffy whispered as she watched the child disappear into William’s guest room. “I certainly will come in and make sure you’re all safe and sound, little doll,” she finished, wistfully.


A/N: Okay, I had this great, long, long chapter all paced out. Buffy’s reaction to Spike’s stupidity, and Angels! But, I really wanted to get this chapter in here and see if it flew!

Anyway, I’m so captured by the news and the hurricane devastation, that I thought I would end this chapter here and continue this weekend.

In the next chapter, Buffy will make Spike an offer he can’t refuse. Spike will see the opportunity that Buffy’s offer might afford him and use it to his advantage. To woo Buffy back that is!

Thanks for reading and please review. I’m going by the reads and reviews to continue the story. Thanks, spufette.
Chapter 4: 'An Offer He Can't Refuse' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you for reading this and reviewing.
Chapter 4: ‘An Offer He Can’t Refuse’


Summary: Buffy and Spike remember their past together. Spike makes a silent, personal vow to get Buffy back!

Buffy makes Spike an offer to help him out of this predicament.


Buffy waited until Dawn had scurried back into the guest bedroom and Johnathan had departed William’s apartment. In the meantime, William had wisely mixed up a drink for her, gin and tonic, just like the old days.

While Buffy sipped her drink, William paced back and forth in front of her, a constant cigarette hanging from his lovely mouth.

“I thought maybe you’d have quit by now,” Buffy mumbled through sips of her drink. She gave William her sternest eye as she drained her glass of its contents.

“Fuck no,” Spike spat, “I smoke more now then ever, Princess,” he admitted bitterly. “I’ve never quit smoking, especially after you left me,” he admitted reluctantly.

Buffy decided it was a good time to change the subject and said,
“Give it to me straight, Will. Do you think the little doll’s daddy is going to come back for her?”

Spike stopped his pacing and met Buffy’s green-eyed gaze, almost afraid to say the words they both were thinking. “I don’t bloody know, luv,” he whispered, finally. “He was ‘sposed to be back, no later then 9:00 last night. Jesus, Buffy,” he muttered as he poured more whiskey into his glass. “If you were the Bit’s dad? Would you just abandon the poor little thing?” The whimper in his deep voice mortified Spike, but he held his ex-lover’s gaze.

“What about her mother?” Buffy asked attentively. “Where’s she? Did the guy say?”

“Dead,” Spike replied evenly. “Angel told me so and the Bit did too. The kid thinks her mummy is in Heaven,” he finished with a bitter snort.

Spike watched Buffy’s expression go from stern to pained in a matter of a second. It hurt him to see the haunted look in Buffy’s beautiful green eyes and know that her memory of her own dead mother had caused it.

‘Oh, God, she looks so right standing there in her pretty little red dress. Like she’s right where she belongs. With me,’ he thought longingly. ‘As if she never left me in the first place and she’s just come home from work, to me. Why’d you go, Princess? Why’d you leave me and why won’t you come back to me?’

The longing in his silent question caused his throat to go dry and his heart to pound in his chest. ‘Feels like I’m havin’ a bloody heart attack,’ he reasoned. The knowledge that Buffy was only ‘dropping by’ was killing Spike by inches. ‘She belongs here, with me, in my world,’ he assured himself. Once again, Spike made a silent vow to himself that he would get Buffy back, one day. Even if it took him an eternity.

Without thinking, Spike closed the gap between him and Buffy and automatically reached out to take her in his arms. When Buffy stepped back from him, Spike realized exactly what he’d almost done. The affectionate look on his face vanished, instantly, and he crossed his arms over his chest, taking on a hard stance.

Buffy flinched, unintentionally and flopped down on the big comfy chair in the living room. Her ex’s ‘move’ on her had thrown her for a loop, so she decided to get some distance between them. She kicked off her heels and stared at William, glumly, noting that his lovely blue eyes were narrowed and hard. William stared at her, coldly, causing her a tinge of regret and yes, guilt, deep in her chest.

“Sure deal, Peaches said,” Spike muttered in disgust. “Sure deal my British arse,” he hissed.

“I get it,” Buffy huffed with indignation, “Angel’s a jerk; no big news there. But you went along with this, William,” she reminded him sternly. “If this sure deal was such a…”

“I know,” he mumbled miserably. “But I didn’t think that the bloke would back out on a bet. Let his own daughter down?”

“The little doll,” Buffy implored, changing the uncomfortable subject. “She really reminds you of me? Even just a little?”

Buffy watched her ex-lover’s reaction, carefully, as she tried to read his inner thoughts. William was a paradox; he always had been and no one was more aware of that then Buffy. From the first time they’d met, Will and her, she had been completely aware of the contradiction in her man’s nature.

‘My man,’ Buffy thought sadly, ‘he hasn’t been my man in years. And yet…’ she mused.

“She’s a tough little dame,” Spike whispered gruffly. He couldn’t meet Buffy’s gaze now and that was for sure. “The Bit is a chip off the old block of Buffy,” he chuckled good-naturedly. “Yes,” he stammered, “there’s something about Dawn that reminds me of you, Princess. When I first saw you, at Willie’s Café on 97th Street. Remember?”

“I remember. How could I forget,” Buffy murmured dreamily. “I was eighteen-years-old and new to the City. I was waiting tables at Willie’s. You were this dashing, sophisticated older male customer that came in one night and couldn’t take your eyes of me!” She giggled merrily at the slight blush on William’s handsome face.

“Came to Willie’s for the first time that night,” Spike added with a smile. “Saw you fightin’ off the riff raff at Willie’s and you’re right, pet. I couldn’t take my eyes off of you. Knew you had to be mine, someday. If I remember right,” he continued smugly, “it was me that convinced that bloated, overbearing bloke at your station to keep his filthy hands off your bum!” Spike chuckled gleefully, happy when Buffy giggled along with him.

“No,” Buffy interjected with a pout, “it was you that threatened to break his fu**ing neck if he even looked at me again! Then you paid your bill; tipped me a twenty and told me to meet you outside. You told me to be outside, to meet you, at the end of my shift. I thought you were going to make the moves on me, Will,” Buffy whispered, suddenly very serious.

“But you didn’t, did you?” She shook her blond head, ruefully. You began to sermonize to me about being in New York, a saintly little California doll like me. How there were predators just waiting around every corner to devour a sweet little morsel like me.

Then you wrote down your name and address and told me to come see you, about a decent job. And I did, the next day,” Buffy smiled softly in the memory of it.

“That’s when I got you the job, at Easy Street,” Spike broke in without thinking. “Never even touched you, or tried to anyway, until you were nineteen and ready,” he finished on a wistful note.

Was I,” Buffy murmured, deep in her own thoughts at the present time? “Was I really ever ready for you?” She looked away from William’s steely gaze and focused her stare on the old, familiar couch. ‘Same one he had when I was really around,’ she realized in awe.

“I thought you were,” Spike mumbled under his breath. “I wanted you to be; no, needed you to be ready for me.” He walked slowly over to where Buffy was sitting and hunched down to make his face even with hers.

Spike reached out and gently lifted Buffy’s chin up, with his finger, to meet his sincere gaze. He stared at her, lovingly and used his right hand to stroke her cheek, tenderly.

“I loved you Buffy,” he stammered bashfully, “from day one. From the first time I saw you at Willie’s. I knew you were the one for me, Princess.”

Buffy shivered at William’s tender touch, but she pulled her face away and took on her best ‘tough girl’ stance. ‘Don’t fall into it, again, Summers,’ she admonished herself. ‘Will hasn’t changed a bit and he never will…’

She tried not to notice the resentful look in William’s lovely blue eyes. Buffy leaned back into the warm, comfy couch and whispered, “If the little doll’s daddy doesn’t come back for her? What are you going to do, William?”

Spike leapt up and began to pace again, anxiously lighting another cigarette. He stopped long enough to fix Buffy and himself another drink, even if neither of them needed it, really.

“Don’t know,” Spike spat as he handed Buffy her drink, careful not to touch her long, slim fingers with his. “I thought I might give a ring, on the telly, to Lieutenant Wilkens, down in the 43rd precinct. He’s a fairly honest bloke and he could maybe set Dawn up in a good place. We can find her dad, or maybe a family that can…”

“No!” Buffy blurted out in desperation. “You couldn’t, you wouldn’t, Will,” she continued. “Not after your own childhood, yours and your sisters. Good God, Will, you can’t!”

Buffy was pleading with Spike, with her eyes and her words. He could never turn down Buffy, not in a million years and he certainly wouldn’t start now.

“I know,” he murmured, nervously. “You’re right, Princess, I could never put the Bit into that kind of situation. Not after what happened to me and my big sis, Drusilla.”

“But what can I do?” He nearly whined and again, he felt like a complete ponce for it. “The kid can’t stay here, indefinitely,” he reasoned with Buffy.

“No,” she nodded in agreement, “the little doll can’t stay here, indefinitely. I was thinking,” she continued with hesitation, “something I came up with, earlier,” she added with pursed lips.

“What?” Spike asked anxiously. “What can I do? I can’t take care of the poor little thing, by myself. Johnathan is a great bloke but…”

“She can stay with me,” Buffy replied matter-of-factly. “The kid can stay with me, at my place. I’ve got the extra room, all done up in pink and gold,” she continued trying to keep her excitement in check.

“It would be perfect for the kid and I’ve got Maggie, my housekeeper, to help out. You could bring Dawn around to my place, tomorrow, in the late morning. I’d like that, Will,” Buffy whispered under her breath. “It might be the answer for the kid, me and you, right?”

“Would you?” Spike asked, hopefully. “You’d let me bring the kid to your place?” Spike’s overactive mind began to worker, overtime. If Buffy took the little doll to her place to stay an all? Then Spike could make himself available, constantly, to Buffy, using the kid as an excuse. He’d show up, at Buffy’s place, unannounced even, just to check on the Bit of course. Buffy couldn’t turn him away, could she? His golden princess would need him to be around to help out with the Bit. There’d be presents to take, to the kid and to Buffy, just for thanks alone, right?

“You’re right,” Spike blurted out, suddenly. “You should take the little bit and make her feel at home. Only thing is,” he stammered, a little unsure of his next words.

“What?” Buffy asked with a raised right brow. “Like you said, the little doll would be well of with me, right? If her dad shows up here, you can point him in my direction and…”

“Angel,” Spike muttered in a disgusted tone. “What’s he gonna’ say about this?” It nearly killed Spike to even mention Peaches’ name. He hated the son-of-a-bitch, with a passion.

“Angel’s gone,” Buffy replied with a shrug of her slim shoulders. “Besides,” she continued with a snort, “wasn’t it Angel that got you into this mess? Really? He should have to pay for it, somehow. Doesn’t he owe you, the little doll and me? Right?”

“Yeah,” Spike responded with a smirk, “he should pay, somehow. Shouldn’t he?”

Buffy giggled and nodded at William, her eyes gleamed with a merry glow. “Serves him right,” Buffy muttered as she stood up from the couch and grabbed her wrap from next to her.

“I’ll be off,” Buffy stated simply. “Bring the little doll around to my place, tomorrow, anytime you want. She’ll like my place, William,” she added sincerely. “I promise I’ll treat her like she’s my own and…”

“You’re not bloody goin’ anywhere,” Spike announced to a surprised Buffy. “It’s nearly 4:00 AM and if you think I’ll letting you traipse off into the dregs of New York City at this time of night, unescorted?”

Buffy halted her escape from Will’s apartment. She shot her ex a look of mild surprise. “Always the gentleman, eh Will?” She asked sarcastically.

“I don’t want you wondering around at near sunrise, Buffy. Not in this God forsaken city,” Spike stammered, somewhat embarrassed by his outburst. “You’ll stay here, with the Bit and me,” he finished with authority.

“Oh,” Buffy mumbled, unable to look William in the face. “And just where do I sleep?” She glanced at the ‘master’ bedroom, an unusual blush on her pretty face.

“Well,” Spike began with a smirk, “you could stay in my room, eh? Just like old times and…”

“No,” Buffy stated firmly. “There’ll be no staying in ‘your’ room, William Jameson. I’ll bunk with the little doll, for tonight. In the morning, well into the morning? I’ll explain to Dawnie that she’ll be staying with me. Until her daddy comes to get her.”

“And if her daddy never comes for her?” Spike asked Buffy with a pained look in his blue eyes.

“Then we’ll have to have a ‘plan B’ William,” Buffy replied with a sad smile. “I’ll try and find out, from the kid, if there’s an aunt or uncle somewhere. Some family member to take her in, since her daddy dearest left her out in the cold.”

“Okay, Buff,” Spike whispered as he watched his ‘girl’ sashay towards the guestroom.

Suddenly, Buffy stopped, mid-walk and turned to face Spike. She had an odd look on her face.

“For the record, Will,” Buffy began quietly, her eyes locked with his. “I really did only go with Holden Webster III, for a harmless drink. If he misread me? I’m sorry for that.”

“Okay, Buff,” Spike muttered, taking a sip of his whisky. For some reason, it bothered Spike that Buffy seemed intent of making sure he believed that she was faithful to Angel.

“Oh, and Will,” Buffy called back, over her shoulder as she headed for the guest room. “I only left, with Webster? Because the guy I really wore this red dress for? He never showed at the Club tonight. Guess who the guy is?” Buffy disappeared into the guest room before Spike could answer that one.


A/N: Short chapter. The next chapter will be full of surprises, fun and some angst too.

Someone E-d me and questioned my putting Buffy in other relationships. I want to assure every reader…I only write Spuffy fics, at least by the end of them!

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.
Chapter 5: 'The Lady In Red' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you for the reads and reviews. It's inspiring me to write more!
Chapter 5: ‘The Lady In Red’


Summary: Buffy ‘talks’ with Dawn and tells her that she’ll be staying with her. Rupert Giles makes an appearance in this chapter and has a heart-to-heart with Buffy.
Spike’s pocket book takes a hit! LOL!


A/N: Thank you for everyone reading this! I’ve got so many reads on the last chapter and I’m just thrilled. I promise that this is going to be more Spuffy, soon!!!


Buffy tip-toed up to the big bed in William’s guest room. She was being very careful, to be extremely quiet. No need to the wake the little doll up from her sleep, was there?

For a second, Buffy wondered if she might slip out of her red slinky dress. She was wearing a long, silky slip underneath her red number and it might be the thing to go to bed in. After thinking about this, for a moment, Buffy decided to just lay on the top of the covers, in her dress. It was comfortably warm enough in the guest room and there was no need for her to use the sheets or blankets.

Without taking off a single layer of clothing, Buffy lay down on the bed, next to the little doll. Still, she couldn’t help but scan the sleeping child’s angelic face; a feeling of protectiveness seemed to overwhelm her.

While Buffy lay, propped up on her left arm, she watched the tiny girl sleeping, soundly. Or at least she thought Dawn was sleeping.

Suddenly, Dawn’s blue eyes flew open and caught Buffy’s green eyes staring at her. Buffy gasped, stunned that the kid had awoken and seemed to be appraising her, carefully.

“I’m sorry little one,” Buffy whispered in a guilty tone, “didn’t mean to wake you.”

“That’s okay,” Dawnie giggled softly, “I really wasn’t asleep. I was waiting for you to come tuck me in, remember?”

“Yeah,” Buffy smiled down at the sleeping girl. “How about we have a sleepover instead? When we wake up, later in the morning, Mr. Spike and me thought you might like to come to my place to stay until your dad gets back, eh?”

“Okay,” Dawn yelped happily, her blue eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. “I like Mr. Spike and Mr. Xander but…”

“You met Xander Harris?” Buffy asked the child. Her fair brow was raised in question.

“Yup, and I like him,” Dawn giggled again in reply. “He’s the White Knight, all pure and noble and everything.”

“Are we talking about the same Xander Harris here?” Buffy asked in surprise, trying not to laugh out loud at this nonsense.

“Yeah, that’s kind of how Mr. Spike acted when I said it,” Dawn laughed for both of them.

“Yeah,” Buffy mumbled with a slight grin. “Well,” the older woman sighed, “I guess that makes two dames that think Harris is a real knight, you and his girlfriend, Anya.” She giggled herself this time and lay her head back down on the pillow.

“Besides, I’m sure Mr. Spike will make his presence known to both of us, while you’re at my place,” Buffy stated. She smiled up into the darkness, thinking of William in the next room.

“I’ve got a guest room,” Buffy continued dreamily, “it’s all done in pink and gold. Just like mine is. You’ll love it honey, I just know it. When your daddy comes here to get you, Mr. Spike can bring him to my place. Is that okay?”

Buffy flinched, just a little at the thought of Dawn’s father. Like William, Buffy was more then sure that something dubious had happened to Mr. Merrick. What father in his right mind could just abandon a little jewel like this child? No, something was wrong here and Buffy had a feeling that Ted Merrick would never be coming back for his daughter.

Spike had lain in his big, empty bed, smoking, drinking and thinking about Buffy. There she was, his Princess, lying in bed, in the next room and…

“She wore that red dress, for me,” he concluded, a little stunned by his epiphany. “Buffy knows that’s my favorite color, especially on her.”

Finally, by the time sunrise came, Spike had given up hope of sleeping, so he picked up a book. It was William Shakespeare’s ‘Hamlet’ which he had read at least twenty times. Spike just loved the line where Prince Hamlet ordered Ophelia to ‘get yourself to a nunnery!’

“Not that Buffy would ever get herself to a convent or nunnery,” he had grunted sarcastically. “Buffy wouldn’t last a fucking day in a nunnery,” he’d spat, tossing the book aside onto the floor. Finally, around 6:30 AM or so, Spike had dropped off to sleep.

It was now 10:15 AM and Johnathan Levy unlocked the front door of his employer’s apartment. With him, he brought Rupert Giles, another one of Mr. Jameson’s employees. The older British gentleman had been hanging about their boss’s door, just waiting to be allowed entrance.

“Mr. Jameson had company, until early this morning, Mr. Giles,” Johnathan smiled benevolently at the older man. “I’m assuming Mr. Harris has completely filled you in on the young Miss Dawn’s presence here?”

“Yes,” Rupert Giles chuckled, unintentionally, “and I think it’s a bloody riot that Spike’s been stuck with a little charge like that. Serves him right and…”

Rupert’s blue eyes fell on the pair of red strappy sandals, carelessly tossed next to his employer’s couch. “Those certainly do not look like a little girl’s shoes, Johnathan,” Rupert muttered suspiciously.

“Those would be Miss Buffy Summers’ shoes, Sir,” Johnathan replied with a slight grin. “She was the other company that stopped by, earlier today.”

“Oh really?” Giles asked, trying to sound non-chalant, but failing miserably. “So Buffy is back?” He asked the butler in a hopeful tone.

“No, not really,” Johnathan sighed sadly, “she dropped by, to lose some stage door Johnny from Mr. Angel’s club. However, I had hoped, against all odds that Miss Summers might be back, for good?” The small man didn’t continue as he allowed his imagination to run wild.

It was right at that moment that Buffy emerged from the guest room, still wearing the red dress from the night before. She strode out of the room, scanning the area for William. When she spied both Johnathan and Rupert Giles, Buffy stopped dead in her tracks. Without missing a beat, Buffy nearly leapt into Rupert Giles arms and hugged him tightly.

“Oh, Giles!” she choked out tiny tears of joy slipping from her green eyes. “It’s so good to see you again! It’s been years!”

“Likewise, Miss Summers,” Giles murmured sincerely, immediately taking stock of the situation. He realized that although Miss Buffy stayed at Spike’s place that night? She had slept in the guest room, obviously to baby-sit Miss Dawn Merrick. This realization disappointed Rupert Giles, greatly, since he had hoped that perhaps Buffy Summers had returned to Spike Jameson, permanently.

“I’m a mess!” Buffy giggled self-consciously as she tried to smooth her hair, at least.

“You are lovely, as always, Buffy dearest,” Giles assured her. “I take it you’re here, due to the little marker in the room there?” Rupert glanced at the closed guestroom door.

“You’d be right,” Buffy sighed as she flopped down on the couch. “It was so late when William and I decided what to do with the little doll that ‘he’ wouldn’t let me leaving. You know Will,” she continued with a frustrated sigh, “always the gentleman and…”

“Yes, that’s our William,” Giles chuckled, joining Buffy on the couch. “Our Spike 'is' a true British gentleman, to the end.”

Johnathan took that moment to excuse himself from the room and begin the breakfast routine. “The little miss might like my pancakes, Miss Summers,” the butler offered amicably.

“She’d love them, I’m sure,” Buffy responded with a warm smile to Johnathan. “And, could I have some coffee, Johnny, please” she asked politely. “Your strongest brew, please Johnny?”

“Of course, Miss,” Johnathan replied as he hurried into the kitchen to begin his culinary creation.


“So,” Rupert began with hesitation, trying to word his question just so. “You stayed here, last night?”

“More like this morning, Giles, and before you get any delusions of grandeur? Don’t,” she finished with a snort.

“William and I came to a decision, about the little doll. She’s going to come stay with me, until her daddy comes for her. If he ever comes back that is,” she finished with another sigh.

“Buffy, may I ask you something?” Rupert inquired shyly, “If this was, say Angel, who was left with the little girl? Would you help him? Would you take Miss Merrick into your home and…”

“I don’t know,” Buffy replied quickly. “I’m not sure if I would or not. Where William’s concerned? I’m pretty much putty, but you know that, don’t you Rupert?” She shot the older man a million watt smile.

“I know that Spike, I mean William, still loves you more then anything in the world Buffy. He has never gotten over you,” Giles shook his head slowly. “Please, do not hurt him, Buffy, not again. If you don’t care for him anymore, then please…”

“But I do care for him, Rupert,” Buffy mumbled in shock. As if this wonderful, wise man couldn’t suss that much out? “Whether or not Will and I are together, that way,” she stammered bashfully, “I’ll always care for him. William is my heart, Giles,” she whispered, unable to meet his gaze. “He’ll always be my heart. He’s better then ‘this’ and you and I both know it, don’t we?”

Buffy finally looked into Rupert’s eyes and sought for the knowledge that she knew he possessed. She found it, right there, underneath his serious blue-eyed gaze.

“Yes, dear,” Giles sighed heavily, “our William is far above better then this life he’s carved out for himself. I do truly believe that it is just a matter of the right motivation, for William that is, to come to the realization that he could have a better life. A life that includes you in it."

“What realization?” Spike growled from his bedroom door. “And by the way, Rupes,” he continued gruffly. “It don’t look too good for you to be sittin’ so close to my ex, now does it?” Spike felt like a bloody jealous schoolboy, but the sight of his Buffy and Rupert Giles, sitting so close to each other? It nearly killed him, right on the spot.

Buffy turned to see William, standing at his bedroom door, his tousled hair wet from an apparent shower.

‘God he is gorgeous!’ Buffy thought silently as she surveyed her ex-lover.

‘Jesus, she’s gorgeous,’ Spike thought silently as he surveyed his ex-lover, greedily.

“Buffy was just telling me about your plan, for Miss Dawn,” Rupert offered good-naturedly. “I think it’s a good plan, Spike,” he added with a benevolent smile.

“Miss Dawn can stay with Buffy and learn how to be a real lady. It’s a bloody brilliant plan, I feel,” Giles finished.

“Miss Buffy is real lady, isn’t she mister?” Dawn’s little voice floated from the now open guestroom doorway.

“Sometimes,” Buffy mumbled under her breath. “I’m a lady, most of the time that is,” she added with strong conviction. She shot William a warning look. ‘You had better not say a word, William Jameson,’ she warned him silently. She found his countenance to be quite angelic, not sarcastic at all.

“Johnathan’s making breakfast for all of us,” Buffy stated evenly as she stood to join Dawn by the guest room. “I’ll help Dawnie here get her things together to go to my place. It’s been a slice of heaven to see you again, Rupert,” she murmured to Giles, sincerely.

“For me too, Buffy,” Rupert called as he watched Buffy’s backside disappear into Spike’s guestroom.

“We need to talk,” Spike growled at Giles. The blond lit up his first smoke of the morning and strode over to the couch to join his good friend and best number cruncher, Rupert Giles.

Buffy helped Dawn get out of the borrowed tee-shirt of William’s that she slept in. The little girl quickly donned a worse for wear little dress and some suspect looking shoes.

“Honey,” Buffy whimpered as she eyed the poor little doll’s attire, “your clothes. They’re all old and torn.”

“They’re all I’ve got,” Dawn replied sadly.

“William!” Buffy screamed as she clasped Dawn’s tiny hand in hers and led the child back out into the living room.

“You bellowed, Princess?” Spike muttered, ignoring Giles’ knowing smirk.

“How much cash do you have on you?” Buffy asked without blinking an eye. “And don’t you dare say not a lot, because you never carry less then $1500.00 and I know it!”

Spike rifled through his wallet and held up at least $3000.00 in cash. He stared at Buffy in confusion.

“I’m taking the little doll shopping,” Buffy stated matter-of-factly. “You’re paying the tab,” she added smugly. “We’re getting the kid a whole new wardrobe. Dresses, skirts and tops, shoes and new jammies and oh yeah, under things. What do you have to say about that, Willie?” Buffy crossed her arms over her ample breasts and glared at William, defiantly.

“Well,” Spike drawled, “I’d say that’s fine. Especially since I’ll be goin’ with you two. To make sure my money’s spent right,” he added with a devilish smirk.

“You don’t need to go, William,” Buffy hissed. “I’m perfectly capable of buying the right things for this child!” She reached out and grabbed all of the bills in Will’s large left hand.

“It’s okay Buffy,” Dawn piped in, innocently. “A real lady should always have a man’s opinion about her wardrobe. Shouldn’t she?”

Dawn glanced up, wide-eyed, at first Buffy then Spike. She then gave Buffy her most angelic smile.

“Yeah, the Bit’s right,” Spike chuckled wickedly. “A real lady should always have a man along. To give his opinion that is. Remember, Princess? You and me used to get a kick out of doing that sort of thing together,” he finished with another smirk.

“We used to get a ‘kick’ out of doing a lot of things together,” Buffy replied through clenched teeth.

“Oh, all right,” Buffy grumbled. “Let’s get this child some breakfast and then head over to my place. I can’t go shopping at Bloomingdales or Macy’s dressed like this, now can I?” She glanced down at her red evening dress with a scowl.

“Oh, I don’t know,” Spike mumbled as he led the group into his kitchen. “Red on you ‘as always been my personal favorite!”
Chapter 6: 'Girls Just Wanna Shop; Til They Drop!' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thanks for reading and please review. I'm feeling a bit old tonight!
Chapter 6: ‘Girls Just Wanna’ Shop; Til They Drop!’


Summary: Spike, Buffy and Dawn go shopping and buy out Bloomingdales. Buffy, in a flashback, remembers her and William’s first time together! The chapter ends on some angst, but things will get better for our Spuffy couple, soon!


A/N: Sigh…I am posting this tonight because I wanted to do some fluff Spuffy. In the midst of all this angst in the real world I thought it might be nice.

I just found out that my oldest daughter is being considered, in her job, as part of an emergency response team to the Hurricane Katrina victims in Louisiana. I’m proud of her, yes, but coupled with my youngest daughter starting High School today? I’m feeling a little outdated I’m afraid. Where the hell did time go?

Anyway, please read and enjoy this chapter.


Spike tipped the door man at Bloomingdales a ten dollar bill, just for holding the door open for Dawn, Buffy and him. He noted, proudly, that this rather large tip elicited a rather pleasant grin from Buffy. Not to mention a shocked, wide-eyed expression from little Dawn.

‘About time,’ Spike snorted to himself, ‘Buffy must ‘ave bought out half of the store for the Bit. He chuckled softly, quite pleased with the whole day, despite his much lighter wallet. It had been so long since Spike had actually gone shopping for a woman, grown up or pint-size. The truth was, he had enjoyed it, immensely, and was rather disappointed that the day was nearly over.

“How ‘bout supper?” He suddenly blurted out, without really thinking about it. “Let’s take a cab, to that place on 5th and Broadway, Buffy,” he pleaded, just a little with his ex. Spike shifted the two Bloomies’ packages he carried from his left hand, to his right. “You remember it, Buff, we used to…”

Buffy flinched, slightly, at the mention of ‘their’ restaurant, just a couple of blocks from where they were at now. It had been the place that William had taken Buffy, that night, so long ago. It was the night they made love for the first time together.

“Can we Buffy! Please!” Dawn’s thrilled high-pitched squeal broke into Buffy’s thoughts.


“I don’t know doll,” Buffy stammered, “Mr. Spike might have other plans and all.” For some reason, Buffy felt a tinge of jealousy when she thought of William actually having other plans.
She knew he’d been seeing some blond waitress at Angel’s other lower end club, but that had been over months ago. Buffy knew that for sure; she still made it her business to know about Will’s personal life. Just as he seemed to know all about Buffy’s personal business. Or so it seemed anyway.


“If I’d of had plans, Princess,” Spike grumbled, a bit put out, “do you think I would ‘ave asked?”

Buffy could tell William was getting a bit edgy. He always fell into his old cockney accent when he got nervous, impatient or angry. She tried to lighten up the mood again:

“Well you might,” she giggled nervously. “I know you were seeing some blond dame. Hagarty (emphasis on the ‘hag’ part!) was it?”

“Oh bloody hell, Buffy,” Spike muttered and shot her a murderous look. “You know Harmony. I saw her maybe three or four times and that ended well over six months ago. I only dated her because she was blond and short, like you. Besides, I could say the bint has the brains of a flea, but I don’t want to insult the bloody flea.”

“Oh Mr. Spike!” Dawn broke out into loud giggles, her little shoulders shaking violently from her laughter.

“William!” Buffy tsked in a mock tone of shock. “You shouldn’t say that about poor Hagerty.” However, she was secretly delighted that Harmony, just as Buffy had suspected, had truly meant nothing to William. She tried hard to hide her secret smirk, but failed miserably.

“Well,” Spike snorted, “it’s the bloody truth. That bint was as thick as a brick in her head. She certainly wasn’t you, Princess,” he finished matter-of-factly. He was secretly delighted to note the jealous, catty tone Buffy had taken on.

“Good,” Buffy muttered under her breath. “Okay,” she continued in a ‘take charge’ manner. “Bloomingdales isn’t delivering the rest of Dawn’s purchases until tomorrow morning, to my place so...let’s go eat, but let’s walk, kay Will? It’s not that far and the weather is so lovely today. Please?”

“Anything for you, luv,” Spike murmured tenderly to Buffy. He smiled slightly and took Dawn’s hand in his while Buffy took her other hand. They headed down the street, the tiny girl between them as if she truly belonged with them.

“Oh, Buffy! Look at that wonderful dress!” Dawn gasped in awe and stared longingly at the final Bloomingdales window display. “It’s perfect for you, Buffy,” the little girl whispered as she pointed to the beautiful red dress on the pretty mannequin in the window.

“I’ll be damned,” Spike mumbled in surprise as he eyed the evening dress. “That looks just like the first red dress I bought for you, Princess,” he smiled down at Buffy. “Remember?”

Buffy didn’t reply; she just stared at the dress, the one that ‘did’ look so much like the first fancy dress William had ever bought her. It seemed like ages ago, but Buffy could still remember that night, like it was yesterday.

“You took me to ‘our’ place,” Buffy whispered dreamily, looking at the dress longingly. “I wore that same dress, for the first time and we went to Tony’s on 5th and Broadway. We…” Buffy’s thin voice trailed off and she felt hot tiny tears at the corner of her eyes.

Spike leaned in and whispered in her ear, “it’s what we did later that I remember best, sweetheart.” His voice was low and husky; it caused Buffy to shiver, visibly.


‘Flashback, Buffy’s POV’

William had bought Buffy the most dreamy dress in the entire known world. It was silky red, cut low in the front, to reveal a sweet amount of Buffy’s ample cleavage. The back was almost non-existent and showed off her silky skin, all the way to the top of her hipline. There was a slit that traveled up the right side of the gorgeous dress, right to Buffy’s lower thigh. In less then ten words? The dress was: deadly; dangerous; delightful; sexy; sensational; somewhat sinful; just wonderful!

Buffy had worn the dress, that very night that William had given it to her. They were going to this new place, on 5th Street, Tony’s it was called. Although William had almost ‘sponsored’ Buffy since Willie’s that is, and had given her lovely jewelry, even found her the great job at Easy Street? He, William, had been almost Victorian in his courting of Buffy. William had never done more then give Buffy a quick, chaste kiss on the lips or more then likely, her cheek.

If he wanted or expected more from Buffy, up until now? William certainly never pushed the issue and Buffy was grateful for that. She was only eighteen when she met William and it was apparent that he was willing to bide his time and wait for ‘her’ to respond to him.

Tonight, with the new dress and the new restaurant, Buffy had come to her decision. At nineteen, finally, she was more then ready to consummate her courtship with William Jameson. She could only hope that he felt the same way. Something told Buffy that Will was more then ready to take their relationship to the next level. So, when he asked her to come up to his apartment, after supper at Tony’s? She eagerly accepted his invitation and allowed him to lead her into his posh home.

“Want some wine, sweetheart?” William asked Buffy with a raised brow. “I’m having some, and…”

“William,” Buffy cut him off by taking the wine bottle from his hand and setting it on the bar. “We need to talk, okay?”

“Okay,” William shrugged as he followed Buffy to the couch. “Let’s talk.”

Buffy snuggled up close to Will and laid her head on his shoulder.

“This is nice,” he whispered as he wrapped his left arm about her shoulders. “I like this a hell of a lot better then talking and…”

“Shut up, Will,” Buffy snapped, but in a gentle tone. “This is going to be hard for me and your yammering isn’t going to make it any easier. So, please, just be quiet and listen, for once anyway. Right?”

“Too right,” William responded, much like a scolded school boy.

“I’m not a virgin, Will,” Buffy blurted out suddenly. She tried to clock his reaction, but found his expression unreadable. Her tummy sank.

Finally, William replied curtly, “well, neither am I. What’s this about, Princess?” He looked confused, Buffy thought, and maybe just a bit disappointed.

“This is about me telling you about me,” Buffy whispered softly. “And, God, Will, it’s so damned awkward. So please just listen to me and try to understand what I’m saying, kay?”

“I said okay, pet,” he sighed in reply.

“You know I’m from Sunnydale, California and all, but I’ve never really told you much else, have I?”

“No,” he responded quickly. “I’d like to know more about you, luv, but I didn’t want to push.”

“Well, you need to push here, Will,” Buffy snorted ruefully. “Back home, in Sunnydale, I had a beau. His name was Owen Anderson and he was the son of a farmer, just outside of Sunnydale.”

Buffy felt William flinch slightly, so she placed her tiny right hand on his thigh and patted it. “He was my childhood sweetheart, not much more, honest. Everyone in Sunnydale thought that Owen and me would get married someday. Even me. But…” she hesitated, embarrassed to go on really.

“Tell me,” William whispered gently, tenderly stroking Buffy’s golden hair.

“I gave in to Owen’s pressure to ‘go all the way’ when I shouldn’t have. I realize that now, but I was young and stupid. Owen and I both were. I got pregnant Will, the only time we…”

“Pregnant? I don’t understand, Buffy,” William mumbled.

“I lost the baby, Will. I wasn’t that far along and it was really for the best. I certainly wasn’t ready to be a mother and Owen? The day after I told him about the baby? He enlisted in the Army. How’s that for rejection?” She actually caught herself chuckling about that.

“I’m sorry, Princess,” William whispered as he placed a gentle kiss on her cheek. “This Owen was a fucking fool. Don’t be sorry about him or sad. Please.”

“I’m not,” Buffy giggled, “And for heaven’s sake Will, do you need to talk so crude!”

“Just me being me, baby,” William chuckled, breaking the tension.

“Anyway, I left Sunnydale, right after I lost the baby and came to New York. Got that miserable job at Willie’s and well, met you.” Buffy scowled, briefly, then continued her story.

“Luckiest day of my life,” William mumbled, kissing Buffy’s forehead tenderly.

“Mine too,” Buffy murmured. “I just want you to know that I ‘do’ want this,” she placed her right hand on Will’s left cheek. “I want what you want, that is. Do you want me Will?”

“More then anything,” he rasped as he pulled Buffy into his strong arms. “I’ve waited so long, baby,” he groaned in a husky voice.
“Bided my time, waited for you to be ready for me and…”

“Then let’s neither of us wait any longer, kay Will?” Buffy whispered shyly. “I know things now,” she continued timidly, “ways to make sure there’s no baby and…”

“Now how do you know that?” Buffy could tell that William was trying to keep a straight face, but his merry blue eyes gave him away.

“That's my best friend, at the Club? Cordelia Chase? She’s seeing a policeman by the name of Larry Wilkens and I guess she knows things. Lots of things,” Buffy stumbled on the words, her face flushed with embarrassment.

“Anyway,” she continued firmly, “Cordy’s told me ways to keep a baby from coming. I’ve been doing what she says, for a while now and thought maybe me and you could…”

“Shhhh,” William murmured softly, “let’s just do this, shall we? Let’s go in my bedroom; get naked together and lay down on my rather comfy bed. We’ll hold each other and cuddle, touch each and neck. Then, Buffy, my sweet, sweet love…I’m going to make love to you, all night long.”

“Okay,” Buffy panted in a breathy voice as she gazed into William’s lovely blue eyes. “I just hope I don’t disappoint you Will. I would just die if I…”

“You won’t,” William whispered, kissing Buffy’s lips, ever so gently. “Buffy,” he continued, serious now, “If you haven’t noticed, sweet? Then I’ll say it. I love you, Buffy. I’ve loved you since I saw you that first night, at Willie’s Café. I’ll always love you.”


‘Present day…’

‘I’ll always love you,’ Buffy heard Will’s words from that night echo in her mind. When she roused herself from her dreamy memory, she realized that her right hand was entwined in Will’s left one.

Spike was staring openly, he realized, at his Buffy. She was staring, dazedly, at the red dress in the window display. He had no doubt that Buffy was remembering ‘that’ night, almost seven years earlier. When Buffy had opened up to him, totally, and given herself to him, completely.

“Buffy…” he began, almost shyly.

“Well, well, well,” came a familiar voice from behind Spike, Buffy and Dawn. “What’s this then?” Lieutenant Wilkens chuckled gleefully. “Buffy Summers and Spike Jameson? Together again; at last? I’ll have to hurry home to the Mrs. and give her the good news!”

Buffy pulled her hand from William’s and turned to see Lt. Lawrence Wilkens, standing not five feet from them. There was a wide, joyful grin on his friendly face.

“Hello Lieutenant,” Buffy giggled in greeting to the policeman. “It’s good to see you. How’s your wife?”

“Better then good, Buffy Summers,” Lt. Wilkens chuckled in response. “She’ll be screamin’ for joy when she hears that you and Spike here have come to your senses. Got back together and…”

“No, no, we’re not back together at all,” Buffy mumbled quickly. “William’s just helping me to, uhm...” She glanced at William, a desperate pleading look in her eyes. His eyes had gone dark with an emotion that Buffy would rather not try and suss out.

“Angel asked me to help Buffy out, while he’s gone,” Spike grumbled with a pout. “Buffy needs help with…”

“Me,” Dawn chimed in suddenly.

“And who might you be lovely little one,” Lt. Wilkens asked with a smirk. He eyed the little brunette girl with curiosity.

“I’m Buffy’s little sister,” Dawn stated solemnly. “Our Daddy sent me from California, to visit Buffy and the dark prince decided to…”

“Angel decided to have William help me show Dawnie around town,” Buffy added quickly.

“My wonderful wife, Cordy, never mentioned that you have a little sister, Buffy,” Larry Wilkens said, his brow scrunched in suspicion.

“My dad, he married again, after my mom died,” Buffy began to ramble on. “My step-mother, her name’s,” Buffy stumbled on, trying to think of a name for the non-existent woman.

“My mommy’s name is Margaret!” Dawn squealed happily. “Margaret, that’s it!”

Both Spike and Buffy just stared down at the little girl that now stood between them again.

‘My housekeeper?’ Buffy realized in awe at the little doll’s resourcefulness. ‘She came up with my housekeeper's name?’

Spike couldn’t have been more proud if the kid was his. To think the little Bit thought up an easy out of an answer for the question and…

“That’s it,” Buffy interjected, “Margaret is my step-mother. She’s Dawn’s mother and that makes this little jewel my half-sister. Right Dawnie?”

“Too right,” Dawn mimicked Spike’s quipped reply.

“Hmmm,” Lt. Wilkens hissed with pursed lips. “I’m thinking that I’ll just move along then,” he added amicably. “It’s Cordelia’s birthday tomorrow and I’m pickin’ up some fancy duds from Bloomingdales for her. Drop by, Buffy,” the policeman finished warmly. “Cordy misses you, very much.”

“I don’t think the girlfriend of Angel O’Connor would be too welcome at your home, Lieutenant,” Buffy mumbled sadly.

“Maybe not,” Wilkens grunted, “but Buffy Summers certainly would be.” The policeman said his goodnights and strolled off down the block.

“I’m starved,” Spike stated simply. “How ‘bout you Bit? You hungry?”

“Hungry enough to eat a bear Mr. Spike,” Dawn replied honestly.

Later, Spike escorted Buffy and the Bit home to Buffy’s place. He had never been to this apartment and it irked him to know Angel probably had been, dozens of times. Actually, it did more then irk him; it enraged him.

“Invite me in, Princess,” Spike ordered more then requested of Buffy.

“I’m not sure Angel would like that, William,” Buffy muttered as she blocked her front doorway.

“Who gives a…” Spike began. Buffy slapped her tiny hand over his mouth and hissed, “don’t you dare!”

“One drink,” Buffy snorted curtly. “You can come in for one drink. Only!”

Spike slipped into Buffy’s apartment, trying not to show the smug glee he certainly felt. “Nice place,” Spike mumbled with an indifferent shrug, or so he hoped. “It ‘seems’ like you,” he added non-chalantly.

“Thanks,” Buffy muttered, William’s harsh tone was not lost on her. She knew her ex better then anyone and realized that he was not happy right now.

“Can I go and wash up for bed, Buffy?” Dawn asked with a yawn. “I want to wear my new pajamas you and Mr. Spike got me today,” she giggled, eyeing the Bloomingdales’ package that held the said items.

“You go on then, honey,” Buffy offered affectionately. “I want to talk to Mr. Spike, alone,” she finished with a stern frown at Spike.

‘Oh shit,’ Spike groaned inwardly. ‘What the bloody hell did I do now?’

After Dawn had scurried into the guest bedroom, Buffy sashayed over to her bar and mixed William a drink. She took her sweet time, just to miff off Will, if nothing else.

Finally, after a strained few minutes, Buffy blurted out, “I don’t like the little doll lying. It’s not ladylike or right, Will.”

“Well Jesus Christ, Buffy,” Spike spat, “she used ‘your’ family in the lie. Not mine. What do you want me to do about it? I can’t help it if…”

“More the reason that the little doll should be here, with me,” Buffy grunted. “At least here, she’ll learn the finer points of being a lady and all. Oh, and don’t even look at me like that William Jameson. If you give me that smug, holier then thou glare one more time? I’ll…”

“You’ll what?” Spike spat back at her as he sipped his whisky, slowly. The longer he took to finish his drink, the longer he’d be allowed to stay here.

“Oooohhh, you, you nasty, evil, infuriating son-of-a…” Buffy froze, her harsh words halted by Dawn’s voice behind her.

“Are you going to tuck me in Buffy?” Dawn asked so innocently, that Buffy felt like a real nasty piece of work for her awful words to William.

“Yes,” she replied hastily. “Then I’m coming back out here and saying good night to Mr. Spike,” Buffy said in her most surgary voice.

“Good night Mr. Spike,” Dawn giggled and waved at Spike, happily oblivious to the tension between him and Buffy.

“Night Bit,” Spike mumbled in return. “Sweet dreams,” he added with a warm smile.

Once Buffy and Dawn disappeared into the guestroom, Spike flopped down on the plush couch before him. It really was a nice apartment, Spike had to admit that. The thing was, it made him want to throw up; the fact that Angel may have had something to do with setting Buffy up in this posh place.

Buffy reappeared, almost twenty minutes after she had taken the Bit into the room for bed. Something about the look on his Princess’ face caused Spike to bite his tongue and hold back the vindictive words he’d almost blurted out.

“What?” Spike asked Buffy instead.

“You know,” Buffy sighed deeply as she flopped down next to William on her couch. “The little doll thinks that Rupert Giles is Merlin the Magician, from King Arthur? Can you beat that?”

Spike chuckled and leaned against the back of Buffy’s comfortable couch. “I’m not surprised,” he mumbled. “The Bit’s just enraptured with King Arthur, the Knights of the Round Table and everything. I suppose if she met Finn and Jesse? She’d think they were noble knights too.”

“Oh, God forbid,” Buffy muttered. “Riley Finn and Jesse are the worst examples of human males…”

“Now sweetheart,” Spike laughed, wrapping his arm about Buffy’s slim shoulders. “You thought Finn was a real catch once and all. Don’t throw stones, pet. It isn’t ladylike,” he snorted.

“Hmph, a catch indeed,” Buffy grunted, very unladylike. “I just thought he might make a nice guy for my friend Faith.”

“And he was, right? They’ve been married for three years now, sweet,” Spike stated. “You’re quite the matchmaker Buffy,” he chuckled merrily. “Too bad you messed up with us but then again, that can always be fixed and…”

“Stop it!” Buffy snarled, pulling out of William’s arm. “You just stop it, right now, right there, William. She felt those traitorous tears begin again, in the corner of her eyes.

“Don’t you even mock our relationship,” she hiccupped, trying not to cry outright. “I loved you, William. I ridiculously loved you to distraction. Do not make it ugly and smug, I just couldn’t take it!”

Spike just watched Buffy play out her whole emotions, right in front of his eyes, in disbelief. He hadn’t, in the last four years, considered just how hard ‘their’ break-up had been for Buffy. No, he’d always just thought of himself and how Buffy had broken his heart.

Without considering the repercussions, Spike grasped Buffy by her shoulders and crushed his lips to hers, in a searing kiss. When she didn’t fight him, Spike was encouraged to continue his onslaught of her lips with his.

Before his heart could beat, three times, Buffy was struggling out of his grasp. She pushed him away; her green eyes were a blaze of indignation.

“You bastard!” Buffy screeched as she slapped William across his left cheek.

“Bitch!” Spike yelped in pain, clutching his cheek. He fought the urge to slap Buffy, hard.

“You’re not supposed to do that,” Buffy whimpered, pulling back from William. “You’re not supposed to kiss me,” she whispered, a lot less defiant then just moments before. “Just like you’re not supposed to wear your hat like you did today,” she whimpered again. “All set back on your head and so cute,” she sobbed.

That had been a sore point with Buffy, earlier. William had worn his hat, set back on his head, all day while they shopped. He was all so casual and adorable and all.

‘He’s not adorable,’ Buffy groaned inwardly. ‘He’s a selfish, self-centered monster. He’ll never change, never.’



“You were mine first,” Spike retorted, hating the whine in his voice.

“I’m not yours now,” Buffy countered haughtily. “I’m…”

“Don’t fucking say it,” Spike growled angrily, “don’t you say that moron’s name or I’ll…”

“Go home, William,” Buffy sniffed. “Just get the hell out of here and go home.”

“Right,” Spike sighed sadly, standing up from the couch. “But I ‘will’ be back tomorrow, and the next day, Buffy,” he promised.

Buffy sat, all hunched up, her arms about her knees and her head hung down. “Just go home, Will,” she pleaded softly.

“I’ll see you tomorrow night Princess,” Spike whispered as he slipped through the front door.

Buffy stared at the closed door; her heart felt like it was breaking into a million pieces. She finally broke down and began to sob, silently, afraid that she might wake the sleeping child in her guestroom.


A/N: That wasn’t much Spuffy, I know, but I promise there’ll be more, soon.

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.
Chapter 7: 'Always' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you for reading and reviwing this.
I promise, very soon, very soon 'Spuffy'!
Chapter 7: ‘Always’


Summary: Buffy starts her tutelage of Dawn’s education on being a lady!

Spike dreams up a way to spend a lot of time with Buffy and the Bit.

Dawn gets to see Buffy practice her show.


A/N: Thanks for all the lovely reads and reviews. It really inspires someone like me!


Buffy woke up, in her bed, groggy from some distant dream she had been having. Well, it might have been a dream, except one of the characters from it was sitting at the foot of Buffy’s bed, very much alive and not dreamlike at all.

“Did you sleep well Doll?” Buffy asked the dark-haired, blue-eyed six-year-old that sat, crossed legged at the end of her bed.

“Yup,” Dawn replied with a sweet smile. “Never slept better,” the young girl added happily.

Dawn was wearing the adorable pink satin pajamas that Buffy and William had bought at Bloomingdales yesterday. The tiny girl truly looked like a little doll, sitting on the edge of Buffy’s bed, grinning happily.

Buffy felt a strange tug at her heart, remembering that this poor kid’s father was probably not going to be back for this precious child. Dawn’s present fairy tale like state would not last much longer, she feared.

‘Men,’ Buffy snorted silently, ‘they break our hearts with their selfishness and they always will.’ Buffy resented this Ted Merrick, even though she had not laid her eyes on him.

“Where’s Mr. Spike?” Dawn blurted out, in her coy manner. “I thought maybe ‘he’d’ stayed here, last night. You know, for a sleepover,” she added eagerly, her blue eyes gleamed brightly.

“Oh, honey, no!” Buffy laughed in response, even though she was rather taken aback. “A lady doesn’t have a gentleman stay in her bedroom all night. Not unless she’s married to him or, well, unless they have an understanding together? I mean, in that way and all…” Her voice trailed off to a whisper as she tried to explain the mechanics of adult relationships to the innocent child.
(***Anvil alert for later in the fic!!!***)

“Oh,” Dawn sighed dramatically, “you mean if Mr. Spike and you love each other? Then he could sleep with you? In your big bed here?”

“Not exactly,” Buffy giggled nervously, “but well, maybe kind of something like that.”

“But Mr. Spike ‘does’ love you Buffy,” Dawn whimpered a little. “It’s so plain, written right on his face and all. Don’t you love Mr. Spike, Buffy?” She asked the older woman in such a sad, childish tone, that Buffy couldn’t answer right at first.

It caused such an ache in Buffy’s frosty heart, that a small little girl could see what was so obvious. To think that this little doll could detect and state William’s devotion to Buffy? Even with all the sarcastic words and verbal sparring that William and Buffy always did with each other? Were their innermost feelings so very blatant and clear to everyone around them? Apparently, they were, at least to this wise, knowing young child.

“Now that’s a loaded question,” Buffy countered good-naturedly, deciding that it was the best way to field off the curious child’s interrogation.

“It’s complicated, Dawn,” Buffy murmured, avoiding the girl’s honest blue eyes.

“Can’t figure out why it’s so complicated,” Dawn muttered stubbornly. “If…”

“Hey,” Buffy blurted out excitedly, “what say we go to Lindy’s for lunch today!”

“Who’s Lindy?” Dawn asked suspiciously. “I thought the dark prince’s name was Angel?”

“It is,” Buffy responded quickly, “no, I mean Angel isn’t the dark prince, he’s not the dark prince at all! I mean,” Buffy rambled on, after taking a deep breath, “Lindy’s is a place, a restaurant; not a person.”

“Oh,” Dawn replied with a scowl. “Will Mr. Spike be coming with us?’

“No!” Buffy spat abruptly. “Well,” she continued, a little unsure of herself, “maybe?”

“Hope so,” Dawn giggled happily. “I like Mr. Spike, Buffy. He’s the best knight of all. Mr. Spike is like Lancelot! The most loyal and bestest knight and Princess Buffy’s true love!”

“I see,” Buffy mumbled nervously. “William is that,” she finally admitted reluctantly. “Loyal I mean,” she finished with a blush.

“Let’s go round up Maggie, eh?” Buffy offered her little charge. “We’ll have a huge, wonderful breakfast together and then go to the club I work at. I have to practice my new song. Would you like to go there? To my work place, Dawn?”

“Oh yes!” Dawn exclaimed gleefully. “I’d love to watch you sing, Buffy! All the beautiful things you and Mr. Spike bought me should be here this morning. Right Buffy!”

Spike sat on his living room couch, trying to patiently listen to Xander and Giles explain Angel’s latest scheme, fully, to him. This was pretty hard for him because, frankly, his mind was busy trying to think up ways to be close to Buffy. After that little stunt the night before, where he kissed her, against her will…

‘Against her will my arse,’ Spike mumbled ruefully, ‘she wanted it the same as me!’

Buffy could be pretty damned resourceful when she wanted to be and it was going to be hard for Spike to slip back into her world. He would do it though, no matter what it took; he would get Buffy back one way or the other.

“Spike?” Giles gave his employer and friend a raised brow look. “I know you don’t approve of this fixed horse race business that Angel’s concocted. However, you’re into it now so against your will or not? You will have to go along with it.”

“Peaches is a bloody moron!” Spike growled at Giles in his best menacing tone. “You’re right, I don’t like this horse doping scheme of his, not one fucking bit. I’ll go along with it because I have to, but that doesn’t mean I like it!”

“I know, Spike,” Giles a lot more gently, “I don’t like it either, but Angel O’Connor is our employer and…”

“Just get on with it!” Spike groused, lighting a cigarette. “I ‘spose we’re stuck in this shit. Don’t see why we have to go check the doomed horsemeat out today. I don’t like the idea of lookin’ into the poor beast’s eyes, knowin’ what’s in store for him.”

Xander Harris chuckled at Spike’s somewhat sensitive statement. His boss tried so hard to be a fucking big bad and all, but inside? Spike Jameson was just a big teddy bear, something Buffy Summers had figured out years ago.

‘Buffy’s right,’ Xander reasoned, not for the first time. ‘She’s right about the boss, completely. He’s betterin’ this lousy life we’re in and he could be anything he wanted to be. Why doesn’t he see that?’

As Giles and Xander yammered on about that bloody horse and all the other betting plots they had, Spike’s mind went into overdrive. He had come up with a great way to wheedle his way back into Buffy’s good graces and spend time with her. Along with the Bit of course.

Spike would go pick up Buffy and Dawn; take them to see the bloody horse, The Charger. The kid had to love horses, right? After all, Dawn was in love with the King Arthur myth and everything that went along with it. Didn’t the King have some wondrous horse he worshipped or something? Spike could get the kid all excited about ‘meeting’ The Charger and maybe she’d make the myth connection.

Buffy would never allow Spike to take the Bit to the track alone, now would she? Especially since his Buffy would automatically assume that the rest of Spike’s boys would be there.

‘Now, surely my golden goddess will not stand for Dawn to be around me and my boys, will she? Not without her there to keep her eye out on all of us.’ Spike smirked, delighted that he’d come up with a perfect, sure fire plan to get back around Buffy. Knowing his ex as well as he did, he knew she’d insist on being there, every time Dawn was exposed to Spike’s world.

‘Now, there’s the ticket!’ He thought smugly. It was a sure fire plan and nothing could go wrong with it.
(Yeah, right Spike!!!)

“Miss Summers’ residence,” greeted the snobby, nasally voice of Mrs. Margaret Walsh. When Spike called Buffy’s place, he had forgotten that old biddy, Walsh, would probably answer the phone. It was one of her household duties for God’s sake.

“Is Buffy available, Maggie,” Spike mumbled into the line. He detested Margaret Walsh and had since Buffy hired her, over five years ago. The old bitch made it no secret that she had disliked and disapproved of Spike Jameson. Margaret Walsh was a first class bitch and Spike hated the way she always stuck her nose into Buffy’s business.

‘Old bat probably hasn’t changed a bit,’ Spike mused as he waited for the said bat to answer him. ‘I just bet she fawns over Peaches, though,’ he reasoned with resentment.

“Miss Summers is out for the day, Mr. Jameson.” Margaret finally replied, rather harshly, Spike thought.

“Is the Bit with her?” Spike asked, suddenly suspicious of where Buffy was and what she was doing.

“If by the ‘Bit’ you mean the young girl you saddled Miss Summers with? She is with my employer,” the maid spat in her constant tone of disapproval.

“Buffy offered to take charge of little Dawn, Maggie,” Spike sighed in exasperation. “She felt it best to have the Bit with her and not me.”

‘Why the fuck am I explaining this to the hired help!’ He asked himself in disgust.

“Where are they, Maggie?” Spike muttered, anxious to get this phone call over with.

“They have both gone to Mr. O’Connor’s club, Mr. Jameson.” Spike noticed the change in Maggie’s voice. When she’d mentioned Mr. O’Connor and his fucking club that is. Now, the bloody bitch’s tone was all warm and fuzzy.

‘I think I’ll throw up now,’ Spike groaned.

“Buffy took the Bit to Heaven’s Haven!” Spike roared, a little louder then he meant to. “Why the bloody hell did she do that?” He was instantly enraged for some reason.

“She needed to practice her show for tonight’s performance,” Maggie began to explain, all business-like again. “I told Miss Summers that I did not think the ‘child’ should be exposed to ‘that’ type of atmosphere, but she insisted. I suppose Miss Summers took the ‘Bit’ with her to save me the trouble of watching her.” Maggie’s sense of sarcasm was not lost on Spike.

‘Yeah, I’ll just bet you bloody bint,’ Spike reasoned. ‘Buffy probably took the Bit with her to save the poor kid from the likes of you. You old battle axe.’ He had to stop himself from vocalizing his inner conversation. It’d do no good to piss off Buffy’s housekeeper any more at him.

Although Maggie was a widow, for some time now, she did not live with Buffy. Just as Johnathan did not live with Spike, but had his own home and family. Maggie lived someplace, close by to Buffy, with her mother or something.

Spike had come to the conclusion, just a few moments ago, that he’d better keep in Maggie Walsh’s good graces. At least somewhat, even though the old bat didn’t live with Buffy. She did hold some sway with his golden goddess and it’d do no good to turn the old witch completely against him.

“I’ll contact Buffy at the club,” Spike mumbled quickly before hanging up the phone. “Thank you Maggie.”

Spike strode over to his coat rack, grabbed his coat and hat. He turned to a confused Johnathan and spat, “give these bums a decent home cooked meal.” Smiling at Xander and Giles, Spike slapped his hat on his head quickly.

“You two look like you both could use a home cooked meal,” Spike shrugged as he donned his coat. “I’m off to rescue my two favorite girls. I’ll see you later, with the others, at the track.”

“But Spike,” Xander stammered, “we’ve got business and…”

“I’ll wait,” Spike spat back at the confused trio, “I’ll meet you, at the track, in about two hours. The Bit and Buffy’ll be with me, so behave yourselves when we're there!”


Buffy stood on the stage, warming up her voice for that very nights show. Dawn sat, not ten feet from her, in a lone chair at a small table. When they had arrived at Heaven’s Haven, Buffy ordered the staff to open the kitchen early and make the little doll a snack or two.

While Buffy went over the music with Daniel Osbourne, Dawnie sat and nibbled on all kinds of treats. Buffy smiled as she watched the small child eat, heartily. Frankly, Buffy felt that Dawnie was a little on the skinny side for her age. It worried the older woman, especially since she feared that the kid’s father would never be back for her. Then again, seeing the less then stellar job the man had done so far? Maybe it was for the best.


“Let’s do the ‘Always’ number, Danny,” Buffy said with an affectionate grin at Dawn.


‘Always’ (Irving Berlin lyrics)


‘Ev’rything went wrong
And the whole day long
I’d feel so bue
For the longest while
I forgot to smile
Then, I met you
Now that my blue days have passed
Now that I’ve found you at last…

I’ll be loving you, always
With a love that’s true, always

When the things you’ve planned
Need a helping hand
I will understand
Always, always

Days may not be fair, always
That’s when I’ll be there, always

Not for just an hour
Not for just a day
Not for just a year
But always

Dreams will all come true
Growing old with you
And time will fly
Caring each day more
Then the day before
Till spring rolls by
Then the springtime has gone
Then will my love linger on

Always’



Dawn began to clap wildly at the end of the song and Buffy actually blushed in pleasure.

“That was oustanding, Princess,” William’s deep voice echoed through the club and up to Buffy.


A/N: Short chapter, to keep the story going. There were anvils everywhere in this chapter and I hope you readers caught them!

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette
Chapter 8: 'The Charger' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you for reading and reviewing.
Chapter 8: ‘The Charger’


After Buffy had finished her song, Spike just couldn’t resist the applause and the next stupid remark that came out of his mouth:

“Great job, Princess,” he chuckled as he strode up to the stage. “The way you sang it? Almost made me believe you meant every word!”

‘Dammit, Buffy makes me hard by just lookin’ at her. How the bloody hell am I supposed to be around her all day and not make a fucking fool out of myself?’ Spike swallowed hard and covered his dilemma by smirking widely at his ex.

Buffy sighed and asked, “What the heck are ‘you’ doing here, William?” She tried to sound more exasperated then she truly was. Actually, Buffy was rather excited that Will was there, in fact, she was damned near delighted by it.

“Mr. Spike!” Dawn leapt up from the table and joined the couple. “Look at my new dress,” she ordered eagerly. “What do you think,” she asked with a giggle, spinning to show off the pale pink lace concoction.

“I think you look like a lovely little fairy princess,” Spike chuckled softly as he eyed the dress that Buffy had insisted on. He turned to grin at Buffy warmly, only to catch a hopeful look on her beautiful face.

‘Oh Will,’ she mused wistfully, ‘you’re so damned adorable and sweet when you want to be. Why can’t you…’

“Again, why are you here, Will?” Buffy snapped abruptly. “Come to see the little doll or annoy me?” It was making her a little nervous to have William so close to her again, especially after the other night’s fiasco. When William was close? Buffy was a squiggly mass of jelly, especially in the brain and heart department.

“Thought I’d come by and save my two girls from this den of sin,” Spike grunted. He winked, mischievously at Dawn, eliciting a wide grin from the small girl.

“Hmph, be careful Willie,” Buffy warned. “Your poetic side is rearing its sensitive head,” she quipped. As hard as she tried, Buffy could not hide the pleased smile on her lips.

“Oh, Mr. Spike,” Dawn exclaimed with glee, “all of the King’s knights write poetry for their lady loves!” The child’s blue eyes lit up with delight as she grinned at Buffy in adoration.

“He’s written plenty to me,” Buffy muttered under her breath. Even if William didn’t know it, his ex-lover knew all about the secret poetry that he had dedicated to herself. She had read most of it, conveniently; although Will had tried desperately to hide it.

“I thought I’d take the Bit to the track with me, Buff,” Spike mumbled quickly, an unwanted blush on his face. “The Charger is showing today and I thought the kid might enjoy seeing it.” He glanced over at Buffy, anxiously, trying to clock her reaction.

“The track,” Buffy groaned her hands on her hips. “You really think that the little doll should go to the track! For God’s sake, Will, what are you thinking? Or are you even thinking at all?”

“I’m thinking that the track might be a sight better then this den of inequity, luv,” Spike chuckled. “If you’re so off on it? Why not tag along? We can have a nice lunch, together, at the track and…”

“Hmmm,” Buffy muttered. “Just who else will be there, Will?” She asked suspiciously.

“Old Rupert and of course Harris,” Spike shrugged non-chillingly. “Maybe Finn and Jesse, oh and Dalton. He’s the bookkeeper for…”

“I know full on well who Dalton is,” Buffy snorted in reply. “He’s Angel’s accountant and I know, too,” she grumbled, “that The Charger is at the track. What? You don’t think I know what Angel’s possessions are?” Buffy gave William her most wide-eyed, innocent look.

“You should know,” Spike muttered with gruffly, “you ‘are’ one of Angel’s possessions, aren’t you.”

“What did you just say?” Buffy snapped.

“I said that the Bit and you might like to see Angel’s most prized possession,” Spike replied evenly. He tried to have the look of a bloody choir boy when he responded.

“Can we go, Buffy?” Dawn asked. Her eyes were wide with excitement and Buffy felt her defenses and her tummy sink.

“I don’t know, honey,” Buffy stammered, unsure as how to handle this new development. “There’s some mighty questionable men at that track and all. I don’t think…”

“If you’re with us,” Dawn rambled on, excitedly. “It’d be all right, huh, Mr. Spike?”

“Course it would, Buffy,” Spike chimed in, his voice as sweet as honey. “With you there, Princess Buffy, things will be just perfect. Right Bit?”

“Right!” Dawn squealed in delight.


“Oh! He’s just beautiful, Mr. Spike!” Dawn exclaimed in delight, as she patted The Charger’s handsome head.
“I bet King Arthur’s horse was not so grand,” the little girl squealed, again, when the thoroughbred nuzzled Dawn’s tiny hand with his nose.

“Probably not, Bit,” Spike murmured softly, glancing at Buffy’s pretty face, studying it. His ex had not said much of anything since they arrived at the track. Nor had she spoken much while they ate their simple lunch together there.

‘I wonder if Angel let Buffy in on the whole bloody rotten horse doping scheme,’ Spike mused. ‘Nah,’ he decided just as quickly, ‘Peaches would never tell Buffy somethin’ this sordid. My girl wouldn’t stand for it.’

Buffy was wearing a smart little dress suit; the skirt hemline was just to her knee. This afforded Spike a good view of his Buffy’s legendary legs, especially accented by the heels she wore. The long coat jacket seemed to show off Buffy’s slim figure, while accentuating her ample breasts. Throw in the powder blue shade of the whole attire and the tiny blond came off as mouth-watering.

The hat Buffy wore was just too delicious, really, or so Spike thought. It was a powder blue/somewhat grayish shade and a variation on the fedora. Almost like the one he wore himself. With her long honey blond hair, all down and hanging around her shoulders? Well, a mere mortal man could not hold his own with Buffy Summers.

“Can I ride The Charger, Mr. Spike?” Dawn asked suddenly. “Do you think the jockey might take me around on him? Please?” Dawn’s pleas tugged at Spike’s heart, causing him to relent immediately to the Bit’s wishes.

“Sure thing, Bit,” he began quickly, “I’ll just have Tito…”

“I don’t know, Will,” Buffy mumbled warily, “what if something happens and the horse bolts or…”

“He won’t, Miss Summers,” Tito, the jockey, offered quickly. “The Charger is purebred, from the most genteel stock. The little girl will be safe as home on him. I promise.”

“Okay,” Buffy sighed in defeat, she certainly couldn’t fight all of them. Now could she?

As Tito trotted off with Dawn, on the Charger, Buffy watched nervously. “She’ll be all right, right Will?” She asked anxiously, never taking her gaze from the horse, the jockey and her own little charge.

“She’ll be fine, Princess,” Spike replied gently.

“Why William,” Buffy whispered as she watched the trio trot along the far side of the track. “Why are you doing this? What are you playing at?” Her voice just dripped with suspicion.

“Thought the Bit might like to meet the horse,” Spike shrugged non-chalantly, trying not to spark any more suspicion on Buffy’s part. “What’s the harm, eh, luv? The little kid gets to ride a horse; I get a breath of fresh air and you…”

“Get to spend time with ‘you’ is it?” Buffy eyed her ex-lover, knowingly. “Okay, William,” she sighed, “be honest. You thought that little doll and me might be won over by you. Right? Well, maybe Dawn is won over by you, but me? Not again, mister! And besides,” Buffy scowled, “I am so not your ‘love’ or anything like it!”

“Don’t flatter yourself,” Spike spat impatiently, even as he moved in closer to Buffy. His mouth was just inches from her’s, and he wanted so badly to kiss her. Take her in his arms and just pepper her face with his hot, needful kisses. “If I wanted to just spend time with you, Elizabeth Summers? I’d would ‘ave…” Spike hissed, “and for the record? You’ll always be my ‘love’ and such, Buffy, luv,” he finished with a wicked smirk.

“Oh for God’s sake, Spike,” came the familiar voice of one Xander Harris. “Just grab the girl and kiss her stupid! You know she wants you to!”

A loud, raucous choir of laughter erupted from the men standing close to Xander.

Buffy glared, wide-eyed at the group of men who now watched her and William. Xander Harris, Rupert Giles, Riley Finn, Jesse (whatever his last name was) and Dalton the CPA, stood, staring at the couple by the track fence.

“Oh look,” Buffy exclaimed, sarcastically, through gritted teeth, “it’s the whole ‘moron’ gang!” She pointed at the men who continued to laugh loudly at both Buffy and Spike.

“You look lovely my dear,” Rupert Giles gushed at the little blond bombshell. “As always, of course,” he added with a genteel smile.

“Thank you, Giles,” Buffy giggled, hugging the older man affectionately. “You’re always my favorite,” she whispered into Rupert’s ear.

“Is he getting any wiser then?” Rupert murmured in question.

“He’s still a stubborn, pompous and…” Buffy hissed.

“Oh, just like you then?” Giles chuckled as he hugged Buffy Summers just once more.

“Hello, Miss Summers,” Dalton warbled shyly. “You look just wonderful,” he finished with a watery grin.

“Put your bloody tongue back in your mouth, Dalt,” Spike spat harshly. Dalton did just that, reluctantly. Everyone in Spike Jameson’s world knew of the blond bookie’s possessive nature where Buffy Summers was concerned.

“So, how is it that the whole ‘gang’s’ all here?” Buffy was less then happy about the riff-raff that presented itself to her now.

“Your ‘boyfriend’ has a way of bringin’ all the blokes together,” Spike muttered bitterly.

“Angel?” Buffy asked innocently. “What’s Angel got to do with this?”

“Well,” Spike began in a gruff voice, “he…”

“He wants us to check out The Charger,” Rupert Giles offered. “Make sure the steed is well kept and fed. While he’s gone that is,” the wise older man stammered.

“Oh,” Buffy said evenly, a little unsure of just what was going on here. Something was up, that was for sure and Buffy would find out what it was.

“When are you going to marry my friend Anya, Xander,” Buffy grumbled, trying to change the subject. “You could make an honest woman of her you know.” For some reason, Buffy resented Xander Harris, she just couldn’t figure out why, really.

“True,” Xander replied with a nod of his dark, handsome head. “I certainly wouldn’t mind marrying my girl,” he continued merrily. “It’s her that won’t have me,” he added ruefully.

Xander watched both Buffy and Spike, carefully. He would like to say he was confused by the interaction between the couple, but he really wasn’t. In all of his twenty-nine years, Xander Harris had witnessed some strange stuff. The oddness that was Spike Jameson and Buffy Summers really wasn’t all that odd after all. Hell, he, Xander had felt the strangeness that he saw about him always.

His own childhood; Xander’s that is, had been totally fucked up, no question. The third child of three, Xander had born the brunt of his parents’ unhappiness.

By the time he was thirteen, Xander had seen his parents marry off his older sister, Celia, to a man totally unworthy of her. Then, after she was gone? Francis and Mary Harris took out their anger on Xander and his older brother, Frank. If beatings were in order? Then Xander and Frank got them, no question about that. Even if the beatings were not in order.

Xander was well aware of Spike’s childhood history, and Buffy’s as well. He knew that both of his friends were carrying a heavy load around with them. Spike was an orphan, even if Buffy truly wasn’t. Buffy, she lost her mother some years ago, leaving a callous, hard man like Hank Summers to raise her alone.

“So, how’s the ‘great forehead’ doing?” Xander asked, knowing that Buffy was well aware of who he was talking about.

“Angel’s in…Ooooh, you!” Buffy growled when she realized that she had been played by the likes of Xander Harris.

Spike began to laugh, loudly, followed by the other men and their lewd, hearty laughter.

“William,” Buffy snapped to attention. “It’s time to go home now,” she ordered. “Get the little doll off that horse and…”

“Yes, your highness,” Spike chuckled good-naturedly. “By the way, sweet,” he continued thoughtfully, “where’s the Bit going to stay while you’re warbling at the club tonight?”

Buffy scowled again; she had not thought this out as well as she should have. That was for certain. Okay, Maggie, her housekeeper, could watch Dawn, but then again? The older woman had made it clear that she felt the young girl was a burden, nothing more.

“I…” Buffy began with a hesitation. ‘Where is the little doll gonna’ stay?’ She wondered sincerely.

“I’ll take her to my place,” Spike stated with authority. “Johnathan can stay there, late tonight and I’ll pay him extra. He can whip the Bit and me up a lovely supper. When you’re finished up with your bloody show,” he snorted, “then you can give me a ring on the telly and I’ll see to it that the Bit gets back to your place. All safe and sound,” he finished with an angelic smile.

“No,” Buffy muttered stubbornly, “I think that Maggie should watch Dawn and…”

“That old battle axe wouldn’t know how to watch a little bit like Dawn,” Spike snarled. “Come on, Buffy,” he hissed, “be realistic. The Bit should be with someone that actually cares about her. Like me,” he finished with a grin.

“Oh, all right,” Buffy sighed. “You’re probably right; Maggie doesn’t seem too keen on Dawn. I wonder sometimes,” she continued, deep in thought, “if Maggie doesn’t have a hard outlook on life?”


Spike sat on his couch, sipping a nice glass of whiskey and reading the Times. It was close to 10:00 PM and the Bit was sound asleep, in his guest room, again.

Johnathan had made sure that both Spike and the young girl had been served a rather nice supper. Afterwards, the butler bade the child to wash up and climb into his employer’s guest bedroom bed.

That had been about 9:00 PM and now, Spike found the quiet solitude of his apartment quite comforting. He could not wait until Buffy made her appearance from that bloody club she worked at. Okay, so it might be one of the most prestigious clubs in town? It still belonged to Peaches and Spike detested that bloody, brooding idiot of a boss.

There was a quick, urgent knock at his apartment door and Spike noted the time on the wall clock.

‘Still too early for Buffy to show,’ Spike frowned as he stood to answer the door. He peeked through the hole in the door and saw Xander Harris standing there. Looked like his friend’s bird, Anya, was with him.

Spike opened the door, a little concerned about this turn of events.

“Spike,” Xander greeted his boss, coolly. “I think we’ve got a problem,” the dark-haired man spat.

“A bit of a problem,” Anya threw in for good measure. “Show him the paper, honey,” the woman ordered Xander.

Xander motioned for Spike to sit back on his couch and spread out the New York Times in front of him.

“Didn’t you tell me that Dawn’s last name was Merrick?” Xander asked in a serious tone.

“Yes,” Spike replied quietly, taking in the second page of the Times.

“Well…” Xander continued. Before he could finish, Spike spied the news item that his friend was pointing at.

“Oh, bloody fucking hell!” Spike groaned as he read the article before him.


Buffy was singing her second to the last set for the night. She couldn’t wait to get this night over with. She was anxious to get to William’s and collect the little doll, Dawn. Then they could go back to her place and talk all night if need be.

If she was going to be a good role model for Dawn, Buffy needed to ‘rescue’ her from William’s and…


Her emerald green dress shimmered in the spotlight, of that Buffy was sure and she began the haunting, sweet tune of her first song:


‘Embraceable You



Embrace me
My sweet embraceable you
Embrace me
My irreplaceable you
Just to look at you
My heart grows tipsy in me
You and you alone

Bring out the gypsy in me

I love all
The many charms about you
Above all
I want my arms about you
Dolt be naughty baby
Come to me
Come to me do
My sweet embraceable you’


Buffy glanced up and was more then surprised to see
William standing, right in front of the stage, staring at her.

She was definitely confused here, since her ex was supposed to be at his place, keeping an eye on Dawn. What the heck was he doing here? Now?

Spike glared at Buffy, desperately, and nodded his head towards the dressing rooms in the back. Thankfully, Buffy seemed to catch on and finished her song. Which by the way, hit a big nerve with Spike, no question.

‘She’s singin’ that for me,’ he convinced himself quickly, then remembered why he was here.

When he got to Buffy’s dressing room door, Spike knocked, heavily on it.

“Come in,” Buffy sang out, a little unsure as to how to handle this new event of the night.

“There’s a problem,” Spike mumbled, sitting down next to Buffy’s vanity chair she occupied.

“What’s the problem?” Buffy asked with a shrug, careful not to show her true inner turmoil.

“It’s the Bit,” Spike continued, his steely gaze directed into Buffy’s green eyes.

“What’s wrong with Dawn!” Buffy gasped anxiously. “Where is she?”

“Asleep,” Spike quipped, “at my place. It’s about her father,” he mumbled.

“What about her father?” Buffy’s voice sounded oddly childish all of a sudden.

“He’s…” Spike held out the Times and pointed to the news item on the second page.


“That’s the Bit’s dad,” Spike whispered sadly, staring down at the column of print.

Buffy took the newspaper from William, reluctantly, and began to read the black and white print of the article.

She couldn’t believe her eyes, truly, as she read the horrible words on the paper.

“Will?” Buffy gasped when she finished her reading. “This can’t be…”

“It is,” Spike spat harshly. “Theodore Merrick is the Bit’s dad and that’s definitely his picture,” the blond man frowned.

“He’s dead?” Buffy murmured in shock. “A robbery?”

“So it would seem,” Spike grumbled bitterly. “The question is, what did Angel know about this?”

Buffy clasped her hand over her mouth and stared wide-eyed at William. She could not believe that Dawn’s father was dead and that Angel apparently had something to do with it. Or at least knew something about it. Then again, maybe she could.

“What’re we going to do?” Buffy asked, suddenly quite sober from all of this horror.

“Don’t’ know,” Spike replied with a shake of his blond head. “But I do know this,” he stood up and reached out his hand to Buffy. “You’re comin’ home, with me, now. The Bit needs you, and me. Tell that ponce of a bloke, Andrew, that you won’t be finishing your show tonight. Understood?”

“I understand,” Buffy whispered, stunned. “Let me talk to Tara McClay,” she added firmly. “She can finish my show tonight; she sings better then me anyway.”


Spike and Buffy rode along in his car, silently. Buffy just stared out the window. He wondered what his girl was thinking.

“Buffy,” he began quietly, “if you need to talk to me. Please…”

“I hate Theodore Merrick,” Buffy rasped without looking at William. “I think I hate Angel even more, right now anyway,” she spat.

Spike pulled the car over to the nearest curb and turned off the engine. He looked over at Buffy, noting the silent tears in the corner of her beautiful green eyes.

“If that bastard wasn’t already dead,” Buffy hissed through clenched teeth, “I’d throttle the idiot myself!”

“I know, Princess,” Spike mumbled, feeling quite ineffective at the moment. “I feel the same way,” he offered weakly.

“Oh, Will,” Buffy whimpered, “what’s gonna’ happen to the little doll now?”

Before Spike could answer, Buffy broke down into tears and threw herself into his arms.

“Oh, baby,” Spike murmured sympathetically as he stroked Buffy’s soft golden hair, lovingly.


A/N: Okay, in the next chapter, there will be Spuffy loving! As God as my witness…oh, sorry, that’s another story!

Seriously, Spike and Buffy will ‘bond’ in the next chapter and you have my word on it!

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.
Chapter 9: 'Have I Told You; I Missed You?' by spufette
Author's Notes:
This is just the beginning of Spuffy loving!
Thanks for reading, please review.
Chapter 9: ‘Have I Told You; I Missed You?’


Summary: Buffy and Spike agonize over how to tell Dawn about her father. Some of Spike’s past is revealed.

Oh, yeah, and this chapter is so Spuffy, on so many levels.



“The little miss is still sound asleep,” William’s house man, Johnathan explained to Buffy. “I hadn’t the heart to wake her,” he added quickly. “It is nearly midnight and…”

“That’s fine, Johnny,” Buffy sighed. “Why don’t you go home to your family, huh? I’m sure Amy is getting a little tired of these late night hijinks here.”

After Johnathan left for home, Buffy snuck into Will’s guest room and took a peek at the sleeping child.

‘She has no idea that her little world just went kaboom,’ Buffy thought sadly. The blond woman slipped out of the room, closing the door behind her as quietly as possible.

Spike watched his ex from his spot on his couch. He wasn’t exactly happy with the turn of events, of course. However, there was something to be said for having ‘his’ girl here, with him and the Bit.

“We’ve got to tell her,” Buffy groaned as she sat next to William on the couch. “I just don’t know how, Will,” she whimpered in defeat.

Spike slipped his left arm about Buffy’s slim shoulders, as if it was the most natural thing to do. Of course, it was.

Buffy leaned into William, laying her head on his strong shoulder, carefully. It felt right, as always, to have Will’s arm about her and to cuddle her to him.

“I think I’d better get out of here,” Buffy murmured suddenly, trying to stand up. William held her tightly, making it impossible for her to get up. Dawn could sleep here tonight and William could bring her around to Buffy’s place tomorrow…

“You don’t need to go anywhere just yet,” he whispered in her ear. “We need to talk this out and figure out how to tell the Bit about her Da. Help me out here, Princess,” he pleaded quietly.

“There are always the authorities,” Buffy offered half-heartedly. “Larry Wilkens would be able to find a good ‘place’ for Dawn. Maybe there’s a family that could take her in? Give her a good life?”

Spike glanced over at Buffy, warily, and wondered just when his girl had changed her tune about the ‘doing the right thing’ and all. If anyone knew how he felt about orphanages, adoption and all? It was Buffy.

“I can’t do it,” Spike rasped, trying so hard not to show his inner turmoil. “Can’t let the Bit go to some strangers that’ll never appreciate her.”

“I know,” Buffy sighed, burrowing her head even further into Will’s shoulder. “God, Will,” she groaned, “Do you think ‘I’ want the little doll to go to some unworthy people? To be farmed out to someone that don’t give a hang about her?”



“It was not your fault you know,” Buffy murmured softly, meeting William’s pained blue-eyed gaze.

“Buffy, I know,” Spike began in a weak voice.

“You got lucky, that’s all,” Buffy continued evenly. “When the Jamesons adopted you, you got the good luck of the draw. I know they worked you hard, made you tough and all? But at least they gave you some sort of affection, a safe place to live. What happened to your sister, Drusilla, was awful, yes, but not your fault.”

“They did work me hard,” Spike spat bitterly, remembering his adoptive family and their good Protestant work ethic. “But they were good people who took me in and gave me a life at least. I just never got over the fact they wouldn’t take in Drusilla, too.”

“I know,” Buffy patted his large, muscular hand with her tiny soft one. “From what you’ve told me, the Jamesons weren’t real well off, money wise that is.”

“That’s why I made damn sure I would be,” Spike muttered, trying to steer the conversation away from his hard past, and his sister’s disastrous one.

Spike ‘tried’ that is to get away from the painful topic, however, it was open and out now. The thought of his lovely lost sister, the one he kept set back in his memory was now right up in front. Buffy had brought it up, her knowing everything about Spike and his sister’s hard past.

He knew it was because his ex did not want to ‘lose’ the little girl that had been so abruptly thrown into their lives. Nor did Buffy want the Bit to end up in a horrible situation, the way Drusilla had. Frankly, neither did Spike.

“Those people, that took in Drusilla? They were stupid, bad people, William,” Buffy whispered timidly. With William, Buffy never knew exactly how to breach this most sacred of subjects.

Buffy was never quite sure of just how to discuss Will’s doomed older sister with him. The horror of what happened to Drusilla was still fresh in her own mind, even if it had occurred when she, Buffy, was still not in Will’s world.

When William had been adopted out, he was about eleven and his older sister had been left behind. William truly had lucked out, by being adopted by the Jamesons, but apparently, the couple could not afford to take both of the children.

William’s sister, Drusilla, had been fragile in body and mind even before they lost their folks to an accident. When the Jamesons adopted William, only, the sister became even more disoriented. According to what Will had confided to Buffy, the poor Drusilla was a perfect target for a silly self-absorbed woman and her unscrupulous, lecher of a husband. It was exactly these type of adoptive parents that ended up with Drusilla.

Buffy had never asked William to tell her the whole story, or at least what he knew of it. She was sure that poor Will left out the most sordid details of the Drusilla’s tragic tale, but Buffy knew enough of the horror.

The husband that took in Drusilla, William would never reveal the couple’s names. This no-name bastard of a man that had so kindly taken in Drusilla? He turned out to be a sadistic, evil man with no morals or scruples of any kind.

Once the couple had taken in the now fourteen-year-old Drusilla, and this husband lulled everyone into a sense of family and safety? Including his own clueless wife? The evil monster seduced poor Drusilla and made her pregnant.

It was downhill after that for Drusilla and the poor unwanted child. The baby was born dead and the wife, who turned out to be smarter then she seemed, finally realized that her husband had done the damage.

Instead of punishing the husband, the wife threw Drusilla out with only the clothes on her back. Two days after the horrible events, Drusilla’s body washed up on the shore of the Thames River. Poor William had not been told until months later, when the Jamesons felt he might be able to handle it better. They were wrong, of course.

William would never be able to handle his sister’s virtual murder. Although he waited years before he avenged his sister's honor? William eventually grew up and became the man that sat next to Buffy at the present. Buffy was well aware that even though Will did not commit the ‘crime’ himself? He certainly was behind the death of the man who seduced, impregnated and basically murdered Drusilla.


“I won’t let ‘them’ have the Bit,” Spike whispered into Buffy’s warm ear. “I can’t, Princess,” he muttered.

“I never thought you would,” Buffy sighed in relief as she leaned her weary head on his shoulder again. “Not that I’d let you hand her over to the cops,” she murmured sleepily.

Before either of them could say another word, Buffy was sound asleep, her head buried in Spike’s shoulder. He gazed down at his sleeping beauty as a warm, loving feeling washed over him. His girl, Buffy, was right where she belonged, even if she didn’t realize it just yet. Spike certainly did.

When Buffy woke up the next morning, she realized immediately that she was no longer on William’s couch. Sometime during the night, her ex had carried her into his guest room and placed her on the bed next to the still sleeping little girl.

‘Leave it to Will to be the full on gentleman,’ Buffy mused with a slight smile.

It occurred to her that she’d better check under the covers and make sure she still wore the evening dress from the night before. Yup, she reassured herself, still in full dress and all. ‘Always the gentleman,’ Buffy giggled softly.

She slid out of the bed and ran her fingers through her long hair before she slipped out of the bedroom door. Dawn was still out like a light and Buffy did not want to wake the poor kid. After William and Buffy told the poor little doll the truth about her dad? Who knew how many full nights of sleep the poor kid would get.

Buffy found William standing on his balcony, smoking a cigarette and staring out at the city before him. The memory of other mornings, long ago, when this was nearly an everyday occurrence for her caused her heart to skip a beat. This was one of the many things about ‘being with’ William that caused the longing ache within Buffy. At times, she missed William and their life together, terribly.

“Get a good night’s sleep then, luv?” Spike asked Buffy without looking at her.

“Yeah, must have,” Buffy giggled, “if I didn’t even wake up when you carried me to the guest bed. Oh, and thank you, Will, for being the gentleman and not undressing me, or peeking!” She giggled mischievously.

Spike turned and gave his ex a naughty smirk, “who says I didn’t peek,” he chuckled in response. He winked at Buffy and stubbed out the smoke in his left hand.

“Oh, you,” Buffy growled in exasperation when he closed the gap between them.

“Seriously, Princess,” Spike sighed heavily, “we’ve got to tell the Bit, and soon, that her Da isn’t coming back for her. I don’t know how…”

“I’ll tell her tonight,” Buffy interrupted him with a firm nod of her head. “It’s Maggie's day and night off and I’ve decided to call her at home. I'll tell her that I won’t need her help for a few days. Then I’m calling in ‘sick’ to the club and having Tara McClay fill in for me for a few nights. I’ll make a nice home cooked meal for the little doll, tonight and…”

“I’ll be there,” Spike interjected in his deep 'authority' tone. “I’m there for dinner and don’t shake your gorgeous head, no at me, Buffy.” He gave her a stern glare, “it’s up to me to tell the Bit too, so I’m there for dinner and that’s that!”

Buffy knew William’s ‘stubborn’ look all too well and she also realized it would be useless to try and fight him on this one. Besides, she truly needed Will with her, when she broke the news to Dawn that her father was never coming back for her.

“I could take you girls out for dinner,” Spike piped up. “Don’t want you two to think I’m trying to mooch a meal,” he added sheepishly.

“I’m making my mama’s Sunday pot roast,” Buffy mumbled out loud. “I'll roast some new potatoes and simmer fresh peas. Oh, and that good crusty bread from the Italian open market,” Buffy rambled on, ignoring Will’s dinner invite. “Besides,” she murmured thoughtfully, “I think Dawn should be at home, with me, when we tell her,” she finished sadly.

‘Buffy would make such a good mum,’ Spike mused wistfully. ‘She’s got no idea how appealing she is when she’s being all motherly and protective of the Bit.’

“I’ll be there, around 7:00 PM,” he stated evenly. “Oh, and Buffy,” he continued with another slight smirk, “thanks for remembering how much I love your mother’s pot roast.”


Buffy rummaged around in her kitchen, setting everything up that she would need to make the big supper that evening. Dawn skipped about her, taking orders and trying to help out as much as she could.

After calling the butcher at the corner market; Buffy ordered up enough food for an army. She then slipped off to the Italian market, close by her apartment, with Dawn close behind. The two females had a mini-party together; buying bread, wine and even some Italian dessert for that night.

When they had gotten back to Buffy’s apartment and stashed the goodies, they began to prepare the meal together. While Dawn turned on the stove, Buffy hurried to answer her telephone that seemed to be angrily ringing non-stop.

“Hello Angel,” Buffy greeted her so called boyfriend, coolly. She was more then angry at her errant guy and chose to make no secret of it.

“Hey babe,” Angel replied with his usual cavalier tone. “How’s it…”

Before he could finish his question, Buffy let into Angel like an angry mama lion.

“Don’t even ask how things are, Angel O’Connor,” she growled into the phone. “I know that you know all about Dawn Merrick and her father, you, you asshole!” Buffy tried very hard to keep her voice down, even though she was completely lost in self-righteous rage.

“Now, Buff,” Angel began, “the fool owed me thousands and who knew he’d mess up a simple, routine job like the…”

“Like a ridiculously stupid robbery job? Even worse? A con job/robbery on an illegal bookie operation? Jesus Angel,” Buffy hissed, “how could you? How could you send a man like Merrick out on something like that? Knowing he had a child that he was solely responsible for? Or anyone at all for that matter?”

“Look Buffy,” Angel replied evenly, “I don’t know what Spike’s been telling you or what he’s been filling your pretty head with, but…”

“Only the truth, Angel,” Buffy spat, suddenly quite defensive of her ex, William.

“I know that blond haired freak, Spikey, has been hangin’ around you and all,” Angel snarled. “Did you think I wouldn’t know exactly what’s been going on there? You belong to me, now, Buffy and…”

“I’m not your property, Liam,” Buffy spat before he could finish, again. “I am supposed to be your girlfriend, the woman you supposedly love. You took off to Chicago, on business, or so you said, and left everyone back here in New York to clean up the mess ‘you’ made. What choice did William have but to ask me to help out with the little doll?”

“The little doll is it now,” Angel clucked ruefully. “So the little rug rat’s gotten under your skin, eh? And Spike’s too, no doubt. Old Willie’s a real sucker for a lost cause, isn’t he, precious? You should know all about that, right?”

“Shut up!” Buffy snarled, ignoring Angel’s slap at her. “Just because William has a good heart and an actual human soul? Don’t even go there, Angel. Do not deride William or his kindness, to me or Dawn. You gave him no choice and he acted the way he thought best. If you didn’t want me involved? Then you should never have set up that poor Merrick man and destroyed his daughter’s life! Of course I couldn’t turn my back on a poor little girl who had already lost her mother!”

“Look Buffy, if this idiot, Ted Merrick, fucked up the job? That’s he’s problem,” Angel babbled defensively. “I gave him a way to pay me back, didn’t I? If he hadn’t done this, then believe me, he’d be dead anyway.”

Buffy felt a shiver of fear shoot down her spine, but she held her ground. “Stop it!” She ordered her boyfriend, eyeing the closed kitchen door. No way did Buffy want Dawn to overhear this nasty conversation.

“Just dump the kid off on that cop you and our boy Willie are so fond of,” Angel grunted. “Larry Wilkens, isn’t it? I’m sure he’ll find a decent home for the little brat!”

“God,” Buffy growled, “you really our thick, aren’t you, Angel? There is no way in hell that William, or me for that matter, are going to turn that little girl over to a cop or orphanage. Listen, mister,” she continued sternly, “you just stay in Chicago and finish your so called business there. I’ll handle this mess here in New York.”

“Buffy,” Angel murmured softly, “I do love you, you know?”

“Yeah, I know,” Buffy replied through gritted teeth. Then she hung the phone up, or rather, she slammed the receiver down.

“Buffy?” Dawn called from the kitchen door, her blue eyes wide with confusion. “Is everything all right? Was that the dark prince?” The little girl seemed nervous Buffy thought.

“Yeah, it was the dark prince, honey,” Buffy replied evenly. “He’s checking in with me and don’t worry,” she assured the small girl, “he won’t be back for another week or so. Promise.”

“Okay,” Dawn giggled happily, secure in the knowledge that the beautiful Princess Buffy would protect her and keep her safe. Dawn just adored Buffy and her ex-love, Mr. Spike. If only Buffy could realize that she belonged with Sir Spike and not with the evil prince, Angel?

Mr. Spike loved Buffy, of that little Dawn had no doubt at all. Even though Buffy said no, the little girl was more then sure that Buffy loved Spike, or William as she called him.

‘Adults are so silly,’ Dawn thought sadly. ‘They never see the truth, no matter how it’s there, right in front of them.’

In a way, Dawn didn’t want her daddy to come back for her and this made her feel awfully bad about herself. It was just that Buffy had been so good to the small girl and she always made things so fun. Since her own mother had gone to heaven, Dawn couldn’t remember the last time she got to help cook dinner, or go shopping for food and nice clothes. Her daddy loved her too, of that Dawn was also sure, but Buffy and Mr. Spike actually spent time with her. The couple, although not real blood to her, made Dawn feel like a special fairy princess.

‘I wish Miss Buffy and Mr. Spike were my real mommy and daddy,’ Dawn thought, guiltily. ‘I love my daddy but he’s never around,’ she reasoned, ‘and I miss my real mommy.’

“Let’s check that pot roast,” Buffy stated brightly. “It’s nearly 6:30 and Mr. Spike will be here soon.”

True to his word, Spike knocked on Buffy’s door at exactly 6:55 PM that evening. In his left hand, he carried a good bottle of California wine; in his right? Two bouquets of flowers. Roses, the color or blood red were for Buffy; his love and passion. The pink and white carnations were for the Bit.

“You look like a million dollars,” Buffy gushed as she took in William’s pin-stripe gray suit and red tie. “Then again,” she giggled, “you always do, don’t you Will?”

“Hope so,” he replied sheepishly as he held out the two bunches of very different flowers.

“You look pretty damned delicious yourself,” Spike mumbled bashfully. He noticed, right off, that Buffy wore a little red number, his favorite of course, and that it clung to her tiny, but gorgeous body.

“Thanks,” Buffy murmured, taking the offered flowers and bottle of wine from William.

“Oh, it’s from California!” Buffy squealed in delight when she spied the Beringer label on the bottle.

“I thought you’d like it,” Spike smiled proudly, taking a good long sniff of the delicious smells coming from the kitchen.

“Mr. Spike!” Dawn exclaimed as she scurried from the kitchen and threw herself into Spike’s arms. “Dinner’s almost ready and I helped Buffy cook!” She grinned so proudly that Spike felt a warm tug at his heart.

“I bet it’ll be yummy,” Spike muttered, patting the Bit’s dark head. “I’m starved,” he added honestly.

They ate, the three of them, as if it they were truly a family and this was the most natural thing in the world. Buffy’s pot roast had turned out to be delicious, just as William had predicted and she was happy to note that the little doll ate heartily.

It was just as they were finishing the main meal and Buffy started to get up, to serve the dessert, when Dawn sighed deeply. Buffy glanced at William, who looked pretty apprehensive. It made her wonder if now was the time to tell Dawn about her father.

“My mama,” Dawn mumbled sadly, “she used to make this kind of food. Beef roast ‘was’ daddy’s favorite,” the child added wistfully.

Spike stared, first at the Bit, then at Buffy and shrugged in defeat. How the bloody hell were they gonna’ tell the child that her father was dead and not ever coming back for her?

“I’m kind of tired now,” Dawn yawned dramatically. “May I be excused and get ready for bed, Buffy?”

“Sure,” Buffy whispered, unable to look at Dawn. Instead, she focused on her glass of red wine.

“Kay,” Dawn sighed again. “I’ll just go wash up and brush my teeth,” she stated. “Will you tuck me in, Buffy, and sing me a song, please?” The girl pleaded with wide blue eyes and Buffy felt like she would break down and cry.

“I will,” she murmured in response. “You go along and wash up for bed, and wash your teeth, honey. Tell Mr. Spike goodnight, okay?”

“Goodnight Mr. Spike,” Dawn mumbled meekly at the blond man. “Will I see you tomorrow night?”

“Bet on it,” Spike muttered, also unable to look the child in the eye.

Dawn slipped out of her chair and headed to the bathroom to clean up for bed. For the next few minutes, Buffy and Spike sat, silently, staring at their dinner plates.

“We have to tell her,” Buffy sighed. “Sometime, we have to tell the poor doll what happened, right?”

“Right,” Spike grumbled.

“I’ll be right back,” Buffy stated as she dropped her napkin on the dining room table and headed into her guest room.

Dawn lay in the big guest room bed, her blue eyes focused on the ceiling above her. Buffy sat on the bed, right next to her and brushed Dawn’s brown locks out of her face.

“Buffy,” Dawn began timidly, “why don’t you like Mr. Spike anymore?”

“Honey,” Buffy sighed, “I told you that this isn’t for you to worry about. Besides,” the woman continued carefully, “I ‘do’ like Mr. Spike, very much. It’s just that I’m afraid of him, somehow,” she trailed off weakly.

“Is he a big jerk? Like the dark prince?” Dawn asked coyly.

“Not so much,” Buffy replied quickly. “William isn’t such a big jerk, at all really,” she added. “I just wish that ‘he’ realized what a non-jerk he really is,” Buffy finished on a wistful note.


Spike stood at the open doorway of Buffy’s guestroom, carefully hidden from view of the two females. He watched, listened and heard every word that Buffy and the Bit said to each other.

The things Buffy were saying to Dawn made his heart skip a beat; actually three or four beats.

‘She still has feelings for me,’ Spike assured himself. ‘Buffy’s just too bloody stubborn to admit it.”

“Will you sing to me?” Dawn asked sweetly as she cuddled down into the covers of the comfy bed.

“Sure,” Buffy smiled warmly at the little girl. “Close your eyes and I’ll sing you a new song,” she whispered tenderly, stroking Dawn’s soft forehead.


‘Go to sleep, little one
Go to sleep and dream
The sandman is waiting for you
On a golden moon beam

The sandman has golden
Dust to sprinkle in your eyes
So you can be happy and dream
Good dreams until sunrise

Dream now, your happy dreams
Before you’re grown and know
The tears of the unhappy dreams
That break our girls’ hearts so

The sandman, he has that golden
Dust to sprinkle in your heart
It protects you from the time when
Dreams can fall apart…’


Buffy glanced down at the sleeping child and placed a tender, loving kiss on her warm forehead.

“Sleep well, little doll,” Buffy whispered softly into Dawn’s warm right ear.


Spike realized that Buffy was finished with her tucking in of the Bit, so he hurried to sit down on her couch. There was no way he wanted his golden goddess to know what he’d heard or seen.

“Hey,” Buffy mumbled as she slowly trudged into the living room and spied William sitting on the couch, a cigarette in his hand.

“I guess we’re not going to tell the little doll the truth, huh? At least not tonight,” she whimpered.

“No,” Spike rasped, “not tonight.” He put out his smoke in the coffee table ashtray and stood up.

“You better go, Will,” Buffy sighed sadly, “a girl needs her beauty sleep and…”

“You don’t need no beauty sleep, Buffy,” Spike murmured, closing the gap between them. “You’re beautiful enough,” he finished, taking her in his arms, forcefully.

“Will,” Buffy squeaked in surprise, “what the hell are you doing?”

“Something I should have done a long time ago,” Spike hissed, crashing his lips down onto Buffy’s.

“William,” Buffy gasped as her ex peppered her face and neck with his hot, needful kisses. “We can’t…”

“We can,” he rasped, “and we’re going to.” Without asking permission, Spike swept Buffy up in his arms and strode into her bedroom. With a slight kick to the bedroom door, Spike made sure it clicked shut. He noticed, happily, that Buffy gave him no resistance and continued to respond to his kisses.

Spike lay Buffy on the bed, gently, and began to strip off his own clothing. He looked away from her gorgeous green eyes; concentrating on getting himself naked, and then her naked, as soon as possible.

Buffy watched William undress, hungrily. It had been so long since she’d seen Will naked and all. All she could think about was how this night, this event that was about to happen, would change everything in her life.

For some reason, she really didn’t care how much things might change; for the good or bad, in her life. All’s she wanted right now was William; naked, in her and making love to her.

Spike slipped his shorts off, leaving him completely naked in front of the love of his life. He stood, erectly (in more ways then stature) and stared at Buffy. His hungry gaze took in her near naked body (when the bloody hell did she half undress he wondered) and his mouth watered at the lovely sight.

“There’s no going back Buffy, if we do this,” Spike whispered huskily, crawling on the bed, hesitating at her bare feet. “I’m not walking away, or letting you for that matter,” he added sternly.

“I know,” Buffy whispered, reaching out to him with her long slim arms. “I don’t think I could go back, Will,” she murmured.

“Good,” Spike grunted, taking Buffy back in his arms and pulling her little body to him.

“Oh, Will,” Buffy whimpered softly, aware that her tone was purely feminine and honest; absent of any wiles or false coyness.

“Buffy, I’ve missed you so bloody much,” Spike rasped as he lay her back on the bed and slipped the lacy knickers from her slim hips.

He took in the entire picture that was his love and sighed in pleasure, running his left hand down her bare breast and to her tummy. When he touched her quivering cunny, Spike was rewarded with a wonderfully soft moan from Buffy.

This in turn caused him to moan himself. “You’re beautiful,” he gasped in awe, watching the sweet emotions play over her pretty face.

“So are you,” she giggled wickedly, reaching out to him again. “Make love to me, Will. Please,” she moaned in need.

“All night,” he murmured huskily, covering her warm, sweet body with his own.


“I wanna’ taste you, make you scream,” Spike rasped, rubbing his hard cock into Buffy’s hot wet center.

“That might not be the best thing,” Buffy giggled. “The screaming thing I mean,” she added saucily.

“Right,” he mumbled, concentrating on kissing her neck with his mouth. “So,” he whispered into her ear, “no screaming. For tonight, anyway. Maybe I should just suck those sweet titties of yours and…”

“Maybe you should just be in me,” Buffy rasped in a desperate, needful tone. “Maybe you should just make sweet love to me, Will, for now and we’ll worry about the titties sucking later?”

“I think you’re right,” Spike chuckled gruffly. He felt Buffy’s wet cunny and realized she was more then ready for him.

Without missing a beat, Spike slid his cock into Buffy’s wet core and began to pump in and out of her, slowly. He watched her half-closed eyes and shivered when she licked her plump, luscious lips.

“Look at me,” he ordered her tenderly.

She did.

“I love you,” he rasped, “always have and always will.” Spike chanted as he pumped in and out of her slowly, never breaking away from her bright gaze. By now, he was propped up on his elbows, still slowly pumping into her and kissing her face, cheeks and mouth.

“I know,” Buffy sighed dreamily. “You ‘do’ love me, don’t you Will?”

“Yes,” he gasped, speeding up his thrusts into the altar that was Buffy’s sweet cunny.

“I’ve missed you,” Buffy mewled, embracing his shoulders in her vice like grip. “I’ve missed this,” she gasped as she came.


A/N: Okay, that was a little Spuffy, I know. The great thing about ending a chapter on this note? I can start the next one with even more Spuffy love making!

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.

PS The sappy little ditty that Buffy sang to Dawn was written by Cynthia.
Chapter 10: 'Dream A Little Dream' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you to everyone for reading this and the reviews.
Chapter 10: ‘Dream A Little Dream’


Summary: More Spuffy goodness! And Buffy is still a singing fool in this chapter!


“Oh Holy Jesus, Buffy,” Spike moaned in pleasure, “you’re so fucking hot and…”

“William,” Buffy admonished her lover, “shhh, we need to be quiet! We’ll wake Dawn in the next room and…”

“You keep squeezing my dick with your cunny muscles like that and I’ll moan so loud that we’ll wake the bloody dead, Princess.” Spike groaned as Buffy continued to ride him, “you always could squeeze me dry, baby, and…”

“Will!” Buffy giggled wickedly, “you’re a naughty, naughty baby!” She stuck her bottom lip out, in a saucy little pout that she knew would drive William wild.

“You’re my baby,” Spike gasped, clasping Buffy’s slim hips with his strong hands. “And if you stick that luscious lip out, one more time? I’ll bite it and suck it until you scream,” he growled all low and deep like. His mouth was twisted into a blissful smile and he found it hard to keep from cumming right then and there.

“Promises, promises,” Buffy sang as she continued to ride him as hard as she could. When Will caught her left nipple with his lovely mouth, she gasped herself. He suckled her teat like he was nursing, his eyes never broke from her gaze.

Spike helped her to ride his own hips; to rotate her whole body on his, make him cum again, like they both had. At least three times before this one and thankfully, there seemed to be no end in sight to their orgasms tonight.

“I love you, Buffy, so much,” Spike rasped in a harsh voice.

“I know, Will,” she whimpered, “and oh, Will, that feels so good!” This seemed to encourage him even more, and William just sucked and nipped at her nipple until she squealed again in total delight. It helped that he was thrusting his hips up to meet hers, causing her to buck on him like a rodeo pony.

“Oh, Buffy,” Spike rasped, “I’m not gonna’ last any longer, baby,” he admitted reluctantly.

“Me either,” Buffy giggled as she began to ride him even harder. “Isn’t it nice to know that we’re not going to last…together?” She whispered coyly.

They didn’t last, of course, together that is. After both cumming at the same time, Buffy collapsed on top of William. Their hearts beat wildly together while they ‘rested’ with her on top of him.

“I need a bath,” Buffy finally mumbled sleepily while Spike nuzzled her neck with his mouth.

“Me too,” he yawned, nearly exhausted from their love making over the last few hours.

“Wanna’ scrub my back?” Buffy asked him saucily, winking at him seductively.

“That and other places,” he responded with a deep lusty chuckle.

After their joint bath, Spike and Buffy snuggled in her big bed together. They lay entwined; his head nestled on her right breast, their arms wrapped about each other.

William was half asleep, Buffy noticed and she reached over to turn out the nightstand lamp. His damp hair was slightly curling, just like it used to.

“Never gonna’ let you go again,” he mumbled in his half-sleep. “Meant what I said,” he added. “Love you and I’m not letting you leave me again.”

“I know Will,” Buffy whispered into his golden head. “And I’m not planning on making you go either,” she murmured lovingly.


Buffy waited until she heard the sound of Will’s even breathing, alerting her that he was asleep. She began to hum a little tune, softly, then added the words in a low, hushed voice:


“Stars shining bright above you
Night breezes seem to whisper ‘I love you’
Birds singing in the sycamore tree
Dream a little dream of me.

Say ‘Nightie-night’ and kiss me
Just hold me tight and tell me you’ll miss me
While I’m alone and blue as can be
Dream a little dream of me.

Stars fading but I linger on, dear, still craving your kiss
I’m longing to linger till dawn, dear, just saying this:

Sweet dreams til sunbeams find you
Sweet dreams that leave all worries far behind you
But in your dreams whatever they be
Dream a little dream of me…”

Buffy soon followed William into sleep, but not before placing a tender kiss on his warm forehead. “Goodnight sweetheart,” she whispered lovingly.

“Mmmm, Buffy,” Will mumbled, a contented smile on his handsome mouth.

A loud clap of thunder jolted Buffy from her sleep and caused her eyes to fly open in terror. She hated thunderstorms, ever since she was a young teen. Ever since her mother had passed away during a horrific summer storm, back in Sunnydale.

Buffy glanced down at Will, happy to find him still sound asleep, his head resting on her right breast.

‘He always could sleep through anything,’ she thought, somehow relieved.

Another loud bang of thunder shook the apartment, followed by a bolt of lightning that illuminated the entire room. Buffy fought the urge to bolt out from under the covers and hide under the bed.

‘This is ridiculous!’ She reasoned impatiently with herself. ‘But, then again,’ she continued her inner conversation, ‘maybe poor Dawn can’t sleep either and I should really check on her. Right?’

She slipped out of William’s embrace, carefully, eliciting only a muffled ‘Buffy’ from his lips; he remained asleep, or so it seemed. Buffy slid out of the bed and retrieved her silky pink wrap from the settee next to the bed. After checking to make sure Will was still peacefully sleeping, she scurried out of her bedroom and made her way to the guest room.

When Buffy peeked into the extra room, she found Dawnie just as she had left her. The child was sound asleep, the covers pulled tightly up around her chin. Buffy smiled softly as a warm, motherly emotion overwhelmed her yet again.

‘If I had a little girl,’ Buffy thought wistfully, ‘I’d want her to be just like the little doll there.’ The blond woman tiptoed over to the bed and made sure, unnecessarily, that the covers were indeed completely over the sleeping child. An achy longing pulled at Buffy’s heart when she saw the slight smile of pure contentment on Dawn’s sweet face.

“Sleep tight, little one,” Buffy murmured as she lightly stroked Dawn’s soft little cheek with her right hand. “I promise,” she continued in a whisper, “Mr. Spike and I won’t let anyone hurt you, in any way. Ever.”




Another clap of thunder sent Buffy scurrying from the guest room and she shut the door gently behind her. When she slipped back into her own room, Buffy was greeted by the sight of William standing at her window, staring out of it. He was smoking a cigarette and had slipped his pants back on.

“Still afraid of the storms then, Princess?” Spike greeted his lover with a gentle question.

“Uh huh,” Buffy muttered, a little embarrassed that she must sound just like a child herself. “I went to check on Dawn; I was afraid that the thunder may have woken her. That she’d be afraid, like me and all…” Buffy’s explanation trailed off when Will stubbed out his cigarette and closed the gap between them.

Spike wrapped his arms about Buffy and pulled her close to his half naked body. “You don’t ever have to be afraid, sweet,” he murmured tenderly into her left hear. “I’ll always be here for you, you know that, right?”

Buffy snuggled deep into her lover’s embrace and nodded silently in response. If she was sure of anything in her life, she was absolutely certain that William would always protect her. No matter what; if she allowed him to that is.

“I love you,” Spike rasped softly, running his hands down Buffy’s warm, silk covered back. “I may of seemed asleep, earlier, but I was wide awake, sweetheart, when I told you I’m not letting you go again. I meant it,” he finished gruffly, pulling Buffy’s chin up for her eyes to meet his gaze. He could only hope that she understood just how serious he was by the look in his eyes.

“I know,” Buffy whispered, her face was hot with a blush. “I don’t think I could ever go away from you again, Will,” she sighed. “I don’t want to anyway.”

“Good. It’s time you learned, baby, that you and me were meant to be together. We’re naturals together, sweetheart and I don’t think I have to say it, but the sex is bloody amazing and…”

“Stop,” Buffy giggled as she gave his ribcage a quick, gentle pinch with her fingers. “You’re so full of yourself, William Jameson,” she blushed again and continued to giggle happily.

“Rather you were full of me, again,” Spike purred with a wicked smirk on his mouth. “What say we climb back into bed and I’ll get full of you,” he whispered huskily and waggled his dark brows. To push his point home to her, her licked his lips and slipped his left hand beneath her robe. When he touched her bare, hot little cunny, he was rewarded by her delicious giggle.

“Mmmm,” Buffy hummed at Will’s ministrations ‘down there’ with his lovely long fingers. “Sounds wonderful,” she purred silkily.

Spike lay Buffy down on her bed, after slipping her plush wrap from her luscious little body. After kissing her senseless, he hoped anyway, he began to kiss and lick his way down her sweet neck, chest and tummy. Her scrumptious little cunny was just waitin’ for his attention and by the feel of her squirms and wiggles beneath him? His Buffy was anticipating a good licking as much as he was wantin' to do it to her.

“William,” he heard Buffy whisper and halted his ministrations long enough to gaze up at her. Her green-eyed gaze was wide with wonder and adoration for him. Spike felt like a fucking God right at the moment.

“I love you too, Will,” Buffy whispered in an awe-filled voice.



A/N: I ended this chapter on that note, because I wanted our duo to have this happy time together before things get dark again. Angel is not going to take kindly to the Spuffy reunion and truthfully, Spike and Buffy ‘need’ to talk things out. There’s a lot of old issues between our Spuffy couple and they need to be worked out, completely.

The song is ‘Dream A Little Dream’ and I’m afraid I broke from my own rigid rules and used a tune from out of the era. This song was originally written and the lyrics were released in 1931. This fiction takes place around 1929. But…I just love this song and felt it was appropriate for this chapter!

Thank you for reading and please review. I know this is a bit of a ‘fluffy’ fic for some readers. There will be some angst coming up, but I assure you, Spuffy will prevail…..spufette.
Chapter 11: 'Understanding Flapjacks' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you to my readers for this fiction. I hope it's enjoyable to you and please review.
Thanks,
spuf
Chapter 11: ‘Understanding Flapjacks’


Summary: Buffy tries to explain her and Spike to Dawn in the morning. Flapjacks get flipped and plans are formulated. I hope this rather ‘happy’ chapter is okay.


A/N: Hey, I’m dedicating this chapter to ‘Mel’ and my own big sister ‘Deb’ who has always been my idol. (My big sis’s birthday is tomorrow, October 2nd) Like Mel, I’m a little overwhelmed with the angst in RL and in fiction and need a break from it, truly. So this chapter is pretty much Spuffy fluffy happy go lucky stuff.

I hope you’ll all read this and enjoy it for what it’s about and all. It is kind of the calm before the storm, but please, don’t fret Spuffy lovers. Our couple will come out on top in the end!

Chapter 11:


Buffy awoke with a quick start and sat up in her bed, her heart beat wildly in her chest. Immediately, she realized a few things:

1) The thunder and lightening storm from just a few hours earlier was over.
2) The sunlight beamed through her huge window and lit up the bedroom like torchlight.
3) Dawn was sitting at the very foot of Buffy’s bed, grinning at her like a loon.

Before Buffy could conjure up number 4, she remembered that William was still asleep (?) next to her, in this very bed. So, at number 5, Buffy glanced, cautiously over at her lover and was relieved to find him, yes, still asleep. His handsome, but naked body covered respectfully, in her golden satin sheets.

‘He looks like an angel,’ Buffy thought warmly. Then reality truly set in and she realized that while her William looked angelic, he was truly closer to demonic. ‘He’s more like a devil,’ she snorted at her sappy sentiment.

‘Oh dear God,’ Buffy groaned silently as she eyed the still grinning child at the foot of her bed. For her part, Dawn appeared to be quite calm about this whole cozy scene. Sitting there in her blue satin jammies, her brown hair pulled back in a pony tail? The young girl seemed rather complacent with the whole ‘family’ scenario before her.

“Uh, Dawn,” Buffy mumbled with a blush, “what are you doing in here, now?”

“I was hungry,” Dawn replied matter-of-factly. “I opened your door and came in and hey!” The young girl grinned even wider, “did you and Mr. Spike get married while I was sleeping?”

“What!” Buffy gasped in shocked disbelief. “No! I mean, no, honey, we didn’t get married. Dawn,” Buffy cleared her throat and glared at the child sternly, “what are you doing in here? A real lady always knocks at a closed door,” she admonished the young girl, gently.

“I’m sorry,” Dawn whispered with a crestfallen expression. “I thought it would be okay to come in and ask for breakfast. I’m sorry, Buffy,” she whimpered. “Please don’t send me away. I’ll promise to be good and…”

“It’s okay, Bit,” Spike muttered in his half-sleep. “Princess Buffy is just a bit at odds with getting caught in the rough with the Good Knight. You run out and wash your face then. Buffy’ll be up in a wink and fix you breakfast. Right then?”

“Right Sir Spike,” Dawn giggled happily. “Can we make pancakes, Buffy,” she asked her idol wistfully. “Like we made yesterday? Can we?”

“Yes,” Buffy mumbled under her breath. “I’ll be out in a sec, honey and we’ll make some cakes. But, Dawnie,” she continued with a slight frown, “I want to explain something first, kay? Mr. Spike and me? We, well, we’ve come to an understanding of sorts and I don’t want you to be confused by it. Okay?”

“Kay, Buffy,” Dawn giggled and shot her a mischievous smirk. “I understand.”

After Dawn had left the couple in bed, Buffy turned to William and swatted him with her right hand. Gently of course, and on his bare chest.

“You,” she yelped in mock anger. “That was just great! The Good Knight, my ass! That kid’ll never be the same for coming in here and…”

Spike had heard enough of Buffy’s whining, so he grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her down onto his now uncovered body.

“She’ll be fine,” he growled lowly as he pulled Buffy’s head down so that their lips crashed together.

“Mmm, Will,” Buffy grumbled in a muffled, kiss-filled voice. “I need to go out and make sure Dawn has breakfast and all,” she finished with a groan. William was probing her mouth with his tongue and the last thing Buffy wanted to do was leave her warm bed and his warm arms.

“Oh, fine, then,” it was Spike’s turn to whine like a school boy. “Go fix the Bit her flapjacks like a good mum. I’ll just hide out in here until…”

“You will not ‘hide’ out in here, William Jameson,” Buffy growled softly. “You ‘will’ get your sexy ass out of my bed, get dressed and come help with the flapjacks as you call them. I can’t have that child think that you’re just a permanent fixture in ‘my’ bed now. Can I?” She tried her best not to smile at the end of her tirade, but William caught the gleeful twinkle in her green eyes.

“You bet ‘your’ sexy little arse that I bloody well ‘will’ be a permanent fixture in ‘our’ bed. From this day forward, Buffy Summers, I have every fucking intention of sleeping in this bed, or the one at my place with you. Get used to it!” Spike pulled Buffy back down on top of him, just to make sure she felt the hard bulge between his thighs.

“Will,” Buffy gasped when she felt the tell-tale bulge of his early morning lust. “We can’t, not now,” she whimpered softly as he ran his wonderful lips over her right collar bone and down to her breast.

“Why not?” He asked in a muffled whine, as his mouth was full of Buffy’s pretty pink nipple.

“Because,” she squealed, trying not to laugh too loud, “Dawn needs me to fix breakfast. Now stop it, Will, I mean it,” Buffy warned him, pulling her tit carefully from his yummy mouth.

“Can we take a nap together, later, Princess? Can we, huh?” Spike begged, using his best puppy dog expression on Buffy. “We can make the Bit take a nap, this after, and then we can come back in here and…” He couldn’t finish because he was laughing too damn hard by this time.

Buffy rolled her eyes at her lover as she pulled on her panties and a more appropriate dressing gown. “You’re incorrigible,” she grumbled at William, who was now leering at her and waggling his dark brows.

“Incorrigible, maybe,” Spike chuckled lustily as he leered at his love with a heated smile. “But you love it, you little minx,” he finished with a lick of his lips.

“Oh, dammit, yes,” Buffy sighed in frustrated defeat, even though she smiled despite it. “Later, when Dawn takes a nap? We’ll come back in here and ‘nap’ together, you big baby.” Before William could come back with a smart remark, Buffy fled the bedroom.

“So you and Mr. Spike?” Dawn giggled happily as she mixed the eggs into the pancake batter. “You’ve come to an understanding?”

“Dawn,” Buffy began carefully, unsure of just how to answer the inquisitive six-year-old. “Mr. Spike and me,” she stammered, “we have a history together and it’s complicated. Like I told you before. We need to work out some problems and…”

“Make it less complicated?” Spike inquired from the kitchen doorway. He stared at his Buffy with a raised left brow, embarrassed by his sudden insecurity where she was concerned.

Buffy was relieved to see that her lover had bathed, dressed and was quite presentable for a breakfast with her and Dawnie. Or, was that Dawnie and her? What exactly was it, that’s what Buffy was confused about.

“Something like that,” Buffy muttered as she poured some orange juice into three separate glasses; one for each of them. Dawn hummed a sweet little tune as she mixed the pancake batter.

After they had eaten their breakfast together, Buffy asked Dawn to get ready for a bath. When the child had scurried into the guestroom to ready for her bath, Buffy turned to look at William, a look of worry in her green eyes.

“I’m afraid,” Buffy whispered softly as Will stroked her tiny hand with his larger one. “Dawn still doesn’t know about her father and I don’t have the heart, or the guts to tell her, Will. What can we do?”

“Don’t know,” Spike scowled briefly as he thought about the problem. “I just know that the Bit has wheedled her way into both of our hearts and it’s going to be bloody impossible to let her go. When we have to,” he frowned unhappily.

“Why do we have to?” Buffy asked stubbornly. “Why do ‘I’ have to let her go, Will? Look,” she continued as she stood up from the table and began to pace the kitchen floor. “We’ve already established that Dawn is my half-sister, at least to Larry Wilkens and half of New York, right?”

“Too right, but…” Spike began, but halted when he saw the look of determination on Buffy’s face.

“Why can’t I just tell people that Dawn will be living with me, now? From now on, we can let everyone assume that ‘she’ is my sister and I’ll be raising her here, in New York. Why not, Will?” Buffy whimpered slightly when he took her in his arms and pressed his forehead to hers.

“I’m all for it, Princess,” Spike murmured tenderly, “but there’s others,” he added with a dark frown. “Angel for one,” he continued bitterly, “he knows who the Bit really is and I don’t think he’ll take kindly to her been’ in your life. Much less me in your life,” he finished quickly. “Not that I give a rat’s arse what the great poofter thinks, or wants. I’m not walkin’ away from you, Buffy,” he persisted stubbornly. “Like I said,” he began again, snuggling his face into Buffy’s warm neck.

“Ooohhh, Angel,” Buffy spat angrily, “who cares what ‘he’ thinks?” She pulled out of Will’s arms and began to bang and clank the dirty dishes about in her sink. “He’s not worth the time of day and I don’t give a damn what he thinks or does, or even…”

“That’s my girl,” Spike chuckled deeply as he wrapped his arms about Buffy from her backside. “Who does give a fuck what that wanker thinks, right?”

“Right,” Buffy whispered as she stared into the sink full of dishwater and pans. However, her heart was still beating rapidly and she was actually terrified of Angel O’Connor, no matter how tough she tried to sound.

“Besides,” Spike purred seductively, “if you and me were to, you know? Get hitched? What says we couldn’t adopt the Bit as our own?”

Buffy spun around and stared, open mouthed into William’s honest blue eyes. “Hitched?” She gasped in disbelief. “William, before you and me even think about a relationship, we need to clear up some things and…”

“I’m already for my bath, Buffy,” Dawn called from the bathroom door. She had the new, fuzzy robe wrapped about her tiny frame and the sight of the small girl just melted Buffy’s heart like butter.

“I’ll be right there to run your bath water, honey,” Buffy murmured with a warm smile.

“Kay,” Dawn sang happily then turned and skipped back into the bathroom.

“We’ll talk about this later,” Buffy mumbled to William before she hurried to draw Dawn’s bath water.

“Oh, you bet we will,” Spike called after Buffy. He returned his attention to the sink full of dishes and rolled up his shirt sleeves.

Once he began to scrub the dirty dishes and pans, Spike started to whistle a little tune. One that Buffy had sang in the club, just weeks before.


“Can I go see the Charger today, Mr. Spike?” Dawn asked quite politely as she plopped down on Buffy’s couch, next to the blond man.

“I don’t see why not,” Spike replied jovially. “Buff,” he called out to his newly returned lover. “Can the Bit go see the Charger today?”

“I guess,” Buffy stammered as she entered her living room, dressed in a timid little pale yellow suit. It matched the color of the lacy dress that Dawn was wearing. Something Buffy had purposely arranged for some reason.

“I’ve got some errands to run, first,” Buffy mumbled quietly. “There’s some things I have to take care of. Dawn should go with me and all, first. Don’t you think Will?”

“I’ll take her to the track while you run your errands, luv,” Spike replied kindly. “The Bit will be fine with me, there. I’m meeting Giles and the others there anyway and it’ll save time. Meet us there, later and after? I’ll take my girls to Lindy’s for a late lunch. What do you say, Bit? Would you like that?”

“Oh yes!” Dawn squealed in delight. “I’d love to see the Charger and meet Buffy later! Can we, Buffy, please?” With her wide blue eyes that pleaded with her, how could Buffy turn the little girl down?

“Oh, okay,” Buffy sighed in defeat. “I’ll do my errands and meet up with you guys later at the track. But Will,” she glared at her smiling lover, sternly, “please be sure that those rag tag ruffians you call friends don’t influence Dawnie, too much. Right?”

“Right, Princess,” Spike grinned at his golden goddess. “The boys won’t turn our Dawnie’s head, one bit Not one, tiny bit.”


A/N: Like I said, pure fluff in this one because, frankly? I’m angsted out for the night. There’s fires to the north of me, fires to the east of me and only the ocean to the west of me.

At least the sunrises and sunsets in So. California are kind of pretty right now (due to the freaking fires and smoke, ash, particles, etc.)

Thank you, to everyone reading this. I do promise some slight Spuffy angst in the next chapters, but as usual, Spuffy will prevail!

Please read and review. Reviews make me smile! Thanks, spuf
Chapter 12: 'A Day At The Track' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you for reading and please review.
spuf
Chapter12: ‘A Day At The Track’


Summary: Spike takes Dawn to the track to see the Charger. When ‘the boys’ show up, things take a humorous turn.

Buffy and Giles have a serious ‘talk’ together. Giles gives Buffy some much needed advice.

A/N: Thank you for sticking with this story. After this chapter, things will start to get a bit ‘sad’ but I promise you, cross my heart? Spuffy will survive.


“Hey kid,” Riley Finn greeted his boss’s little charge, amicably. “How’s it goin’?” The big man grinned down at the little girl, warmly.

“It’s goin’ great, mister!” Dawn giggled up at the tall, big man that worked for Mr. Spike.

“That’s ‘going’ not goin’ Bit,” Spike scowled at Riley, his muscle, briefly as he admonished Dawn’s grammar. “Buffy wouldn’t like for you to talk like a bloody bum, Bit,” he added sternly.

‘And she sure as bloody hell would have my balls if she found out that you’re startin’ to talk like one of us and…’ Spike frowned at the thought of warrior Buffy having his balls in any way but a sexual one and…

It was a beautiful day at the race track, Spike did a 180 with his thoughts. This made him quite content, actually. It was the kind of day that if he was alone? He would have pulled out his old journal and jotted down some sentimental poetry rot; all dedicated to his golden goddess, Buffy of course.

However, Spike was at the track, with his employees, only a couple who he could call real friends. Good old Rupert was there; along with Xander and Riley, who of course was always being shadowed by Jesse. Mitch and Lars, the huge thug that collected slowly paid markers had joined them today. Then, there was the Bit with them, too. Spike watched Dawn skip about the sidewalk, eagerly looking forward to seeing The Charger again.

‘I wish Buffy was here,’ Spike mused in self-pity. He missed her already and he and the Bit had just left her at her place. Spike remembered how Buffy looked that morning. All dressed up in a pale yellow street suit and matching hat. She had errands to run and although he longed for his mate, dearly, he had torn himself away from her. It would only be a couple of hours until he and Buffy were together again and could go get a bite to eat. Just like the old days, except this time, little Dawn would be with them.

‘Just like a real family,’ Spike thought happily.

God, he loved Buffy so much, Spike did. He’d made a promise to himself, just last night, not to ever fuck up his relationship with Buffy this time. No matter what it took, or how long, Spike would marry his golden girl someday. Hopefully, it would be sooner then later.

“Hey, Spike,” Xander shouted, breaking Spike’s sentimental thoughts about his girl. Xander was standing at a little table in the patio of the small diner at the track. Dawn was now sitting at the table, too, her blue eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.

“The little doll’s hungry, Spike,” Xander called to his boss, motioning him over to their table. “I’m getting her a sandwich to eat. Harry there just churned some fresh ice cream for her dessert.” Harry ran the small diner at the track and made sure his customers had everything they needed.

Spike hurried over to the table, followed close behind by Riley and Jesse. “Don’t,” Spike ordered Xander gruffly, “the Bit just finished off enough breakfast for an army. I’m takin’ her and Buffy to a late lunch in a couple of hours. If I let Dawn ruin her appetite for lunch, Buffy’ll have my…..” he paused, not finishing the colorful description of the loss of his balls to his lover.

“Man, Summers has got him whipped, all over again!” Riley chortled, gleefully, along with Jesse and Xander who had joined in the raucous laughter at Spike’s expense.

“Shut your ‘fu….’ I mean knock it off!” Spike roared loudly, at his employees. “I’m not ‘whipped’ and if anyone says another word about…”

“Can I have some ice cream, Mr. Spike?” Dawn broke into her idol’s angry tirade with her sweet, sugary child’s tone. “I would so love some ice cream,” she beamed at the angry blond; her smile was that of a little angels.

“You best not, Bit,” Spike muttered under his breath, still shooting death glances at the three men with him. “Buffy was looking forward to you eating a good lunch, later at Lindys.”

“Jesus boss,” Xander grumbled good-naturedly, “the kid’s as skinny as a rail. You could knock the doll over with a sneeze she’s so tiny. What’s a little ice cream gonna’ hurt?”

“That ‘kid’ as you call her, can put away food like a bloody lorry driver, Harris,” Spike snorted in reply. “She’s not skinny, just petite, like my Buffy.”

“I bet the little doll weighs less then a feather,” Xander countered with a smirk. “She’s probably not 35 pounds and here she is, six-years-old? I’d bet a fifty that Dawn here isn’t 35 pounds,” the dark haired man repeated stubbornly.

“I think she’s at least 40 pounds, Harris,” Riley chimed in, a thoughtful look on his face. “I’ll call your bet and say 40 pounds, at least.”

“I’d lay odds that she’s about 37 pounds,” Jesse chuckled, not 40, for sure, but more then 35 pounds. I’ll lay my 50 on the table and…”

“We’re not bettin’ on the Bit’s weight,” Spike grumped harshly. “Buffy would…” his retort trailed off when he caught Finn’s sarcastic smirk, aimed right at him.

“Oh, all right,” Spike growled, pulling out his wallet and tossing a 50 dollar bill on the small table. “But I guarantee you bloody morons that the Bit is closer to 45 pounds, maybe even 50.”

“Giles!” Spike barked at Rupert, who was sipping a cup of tea at a nearby table. “Get your British arse over here and help us out with this,” he ordered his friend evenly.

“What’s going on?” Mitch asked curiously, joining the little group at the table. Lars, as usual, just clumped along behind his friend, a stupid smile on his face.

“We’re bettin’ on how much the little doll weighs,” Xander chimed happily. Xander was as excited as a kid at Christmas and his dark eyes gleamed like a light. The dark haired, amicable young man was always up for a good bet.

“I’ll bite,” Mitch grunted, tossing a 50 on the table to match the others there. “But I think we should all get to pick the kid up for a second and actually get to guess her weight.”

“That’s fair,” Riley snorted in reply. “Well, it is,” he grunted, defensively at his boss’s frown.

“Oh, fine, then, you bunch of…” Spike began to grumble once more but was cut off by Dawn. The young girl hopped up from the chair and began to skip about the rose garden like a little pixie.

“It’s okay Mr. Spike,” she giggled in glee. “I’ve already been a marker and I don’t mind being a bet!”

“You go last, boss,” Xander mumbled, “it’s us that don’t know the kid that well. We get to go first and you’re stuck with the last bet, right?”

“Right,” Spike snapped in reply. He was beginning to realize that this was probably not what Buffy had in mind when she okay'd this trip for Dawn.

‘She don’t ‘ave to know, right?’ Spike reasoned in his head. ‘I’ll tell the Bit not to mention it and…’

“Let’s do this,” Riley barked eagerly, always enjoying the chance to win easy money. “My wife has expensive tastes and I could use the dough,” he laughed, secure in the thought that he’d take the pot.

“Don’t be so sure you’re going to win, Finn,” Xander chuckled, nearly rubbing his hands together. “I’m a pretty good judge of weight and…”

“Can we just do this now,” Jesse asked impatiently, just as eager to win the impressive little pot of cash.

“Giles,” Spike snapped impatiently, “Harry’s probably got a food weighing scale someplace. Go get it,” he finished with a frown. He had a real bad feeling about this and that was for sure.

“Old Harry’s got a good potato bag scale we can use to weight the little doll. In the back of the diner,” Xander offered helpfully. “It should be big enough to weigh the little doll when…”

“I ain’t no bag of potatoes!” Dawn exclaimed in a somewhat insulted tone.

“Ain’t isn’t a word, Bit,” Spike muttered, his instinct just cried out ‘don’t do this’ by now. But what could he do? Look like a bloody whipped ponce in front of his boys?

“Make sure the kid takes her shoes off. The damn things probably weight a pound themselves,” Riley pointed out with a snort.

“Oh, for God’s sake,” Spike hissed, helping Dawn slip her patent leather shoes off. “Happy?” He spat at Finn, smugly.

“Yeah,” Riley grumbled as he picked up Dawn and carefully measured her light weight.

Giles watched the ridiculous scene before him, happy, for once, that he wasn’t expected to take part in the betting. He was a British gentleman, for God’s sake, and…

“Write this down,” Riley grunted at Giles. “I’m guessin’ the kid weighs about 35 pounds, max.”

Rupert noted Riley’s guess on the ever present pad of paper he carried in his jacket pocket.

“My turn,” Jesse crowed, taking Dawn, gently, from his best friend’s arms. After he held the child for just a moment, Jesse ordered Giles to write down 37 pounds as his guess.

Next, Mitch and then Lars took their turns guessing Dawn’s weight. “She can’t be 40 pounds,” Mitch mumbled as he handed the child to Lars. “I’ll say 39 pounds, maybe 39 and a half,” Mitch stated with a nod.

“The kid’s at least 40 pounds,” Lars grunted, handing Dawn over to Xander Harris. “Write me down for 40,” the tall blond Swede ordered Giles.

“Okay,” Xander chuckled as he weighed Dawn with his strong arms. “Damn, Spike,” he exclaimed, a little stunned. “I think you’re right. The little doll is ‘at least’ 40 pounds. I’d say she’s more like 41 though. I’m goin’ with 41 pounds, Rupes,” Xander laughed heartily, setting Dawn down on her feet again.

“What’s your guess then, boss,” Riley asked Spike with a smug smirk.

“I don’t know,” Spike groused, “let me think,” he scowled momentarily. “Oh, bloody hell,” he snapped. “Put me down for 43 pounds, even.”

Harry, the diner owner, brought his best weight scale out to the table where the group of men waited. He set the huge scale on the table and eyed Spike with curiosity.

“This scale right?” Jesse asked Harry, suspiciously. “It had better be right or…”

“It’s right,” Harry grunted before he turned and strode back into the diner.

“Well?” Spike looked at Giles who seemed a bit put out by this nonsense. With a shrug, the older Brit glanced about the patio and spied Dawn who was, at the moment, smelling a very pretty red rose in the nearest garden.

“Dawn, dear,” Giles called to Dawn in his most gentle voice, “time to climb on the big scale.” Giles glared at the other men and shook his head in disgust. “You’re all incorrigible,” Rupert grunted.

“What’s incorrigible?” Mitch asked innocently.

“Look it up, genius,” Spike spat at the big man.

Giles picked up Dawn, gently and sat her on the huge scale, careful not to tweak the weight mechanism at all. The older Brit knew how seriously these fools took their gambling bets and he did want to be fair about this.

“Let’s see,” Rupert mumbled with a scrunched up brow, “the scale says that little Dawn is exactly 42 and a half pounds. So,” Giles grinned slightly, “that means that Spike wins the pot!”

“It was fixed!” Riley barked in disappointment. “The boss fixed it and…”

“I wouldn’t say that a third time, Finn,” Spike growled at Riley threateningly.

“Shit!” Riley spat angrily, “should have known Spike would win. I never should have bet anyway on a sure thing and…”

“Oh shut the fuck up,” Xander groaned at the larger Riley. “You 'makes' your bets? You 'takes' your chances!”

“Right,” Spike chuckled, pleased to be the winner in the deal. He smiled, benevolently, down at the Bit. Dawn’s returned smile seemed to resemble more of a smirk, or so Spike thought. It confused him, briefly.

“Go find something worthwhile to do, eh?” Spike barked at the men, except Rupert who had already left to return Harry’s scale.

After the other men left, Spike sat down next to Dawn and lit a cigarette. He had decided to order the Bit a bite to eat, mainly because he was feeling so bloody pleased with himself.

‘To think,’ the blond man thought smugly, ‘I nailed the Bit’s weight by a half a pound.’ Spike was very, very proud of himself and he smiled widely when Dawn’s sandwich arrived.

“You’d best put some salt on those chips, Bit,” he pointed at the plate of potatoes by the hamburger. “Old Harry don’t salt them properly,” he added as he glanced about for the ever present salt shakers on the table.

“That’s odd,” Spike muttered as he scoured the next table, then the next, only to find them empty of their bottles of salt. “I wonder why old Harry dinnit put the salt out today?”

“Mr. Spike,” Dawn murmured in a hushed tone. The small girl wore a guilty look on her little face.

“What, Bit?” Spike asked, still distracted by the missing salt shakers.

“I uhm…” Dawn stammered shyly, reaching into her dress pockets. “I did something kind of naughty, Mr. Spike,” she muttered, unable to look her idol in the face.

“What was that Bit?” Spike asked suspiciously, suddenly getting a very bad feeling in his gut.

Dawn pulled her hands out of her pockets, only to reveal several shakers of salt. “I hid the salt, in my pockets,” she admitted in a shaky voice. “After Mr. Xander made his guess? I slipped the shakers into my pockets so I’d be heavier. I knew you’d guess the biggest weight and I…”

“Oh, bloody hell,” Spike groaned as he placed his head in his hands. “Just don’t say another word, Bit, eh? And do not tell Buffy what happened today, got it?”

“Okay, Mr. Spike,” Dawn murmured carefully. “I’m still glad you won though!”


“Buffy, dear, you look wonderful,” Rupert Giles gushed as he met Miss Summers by the race track diner. “As always,” he added chivalrously.

“Thanks, Rupert,” Buffy giggled happily, “you look pretty darn good yourself. This ‘lady’ of yours, Jennifer is it? She’s had a wonderful affect on you.” Buffy finished the compliment by straightening Rupert’s askew tie.

“That she has,” Giles replied sincerely. “Just as you have on our William there.” He pointed out at the track where Spike and the jockey, Tito, were walking the Charger about at a slight canter. Dawn was madly waving at Buffy from her seat atop the steed.

“You know, then?” Buffy asked the older man with a shy blush.

“Yes, dear, I know. Spike, though I prefer to call him William also, is a new man today. How can I not ‘know’ as you put it? I’m very happy for both of you, Buffy, but I wonder…” He trailed of, leaving the sentence unfinished.

“Wonder what?” Buffy asked with a scowl. “If I’m going to walk out on Will, this time? Or how Angel is going to react when he gets back from Chicago?” She noticed herself that her tone had suddenly grown cold and harsh.

“Both, I guess,” Giles sighed heavily. “My main concern is William and you, of course. I don’t want William hurt again, Buffy. He loves you so much. As for Angel?” Rupert shrugged slightly and shook his head, “I’m more then sure that you and William can handle him. No, I’m worried about William and what he’ll do if you decided to leave him again.”

“I wouldn’t worry, Rupert,” Buffy sighed and took his arm, “I couldn’t leave Will again, ever. Not even if it meant the end of the world if I didn’t. I love him, Rupert,” she continued, falling into step with him. “And yes, I know he loves me, very much. I really feel that Will’s changed, don’t you?”

“Maybe,” Giles muttered, staring at the track and the trio of humans with the magnificent horse. Rupert was thinking of Angel’s scheme and how Spike fit into it. If Buffy found out about this evil act by Angel and her lover’s complicity in the matter? The young woman on his arm would run for the hills and never bother to come back this time.

“Have you ever told William why you really left in the first place, Buffy?” Giles had stopped walking and now gazed into Buffy’s lovely green eyes. “I mean, have you really ever told him everything? Everything that you told me, recently? Why you left him four years ago and then finally returned here?”

“No,” Buffy murmured, a little ashamed of her cowardice. “I’d hoped that Will might just come up with the real reasons himself. You know,” she continued softly, “want to change without me telling him he has to?”

“Yes, I understand,” Giles nodded back at her. “However, I don’t see the harm in you being totally honest with him and give him even more incentive. To change that is. Buffy, he loves you, desperately. Allow him the opportunity to show you how much and perhaps this time,” Giles scrunched up his brow again in concern.

“This time?” Buffy asked, encouraging Giles to continue.

“This time, dear, you won’t feel the need to run off and hide out. Do you honestly want to go through all that drama again? From four years ago? You’re too much of an honest woman, Buffy, to play out that nonsense again and waste years of your young life. You deserve William and I honestly believe that he deserves you.”

“Yeah, that’s us all right,” Buffy giggled again. “The deserving duo, eh? But, you are right, Rupert,” her expression suddenly got serious again. “I am going to tell William, tonight, about everything. All of my reasons for leaving when I did, about Parker Abrams and all that mess. Even why I came back here and stumbled into Angel’s big arms. He will understand? William I mean. He will understand, all of it, won’t he Rupert?”

“Yes,” Giles murmured, patting Buffy’s slim arm, affectionately. “With as much as your William loves you? He will understand everything.”


A/N: Well, Dawn is getting a bit jaded, eh? Talking like a gambler and fixing bets and the like? Anyway, next chapter Buffy will tell Spike everything about her desperate act four years earlier. Now, you know he’s going to take it okay and ‘that’ won’t be what causes the Spuffy angst. Dawn is getting attached to the Charger and Buffy is getting attached to Dawn. How ‘is’ Buffy going to react to Spike when she finds out about Angel’s scheme? Even worse, Spike’s part in it?

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.
Chapter 13: 'Never Leave' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you for reading and please review. I know it's hard sometimes but it encourages writers to continue.
Thanks.
Chapter 13: ‘Never Leave’


Summary: Giles realizes that someone close to Spike drove Buffy away, kind of, years earlier. He tries to convince Buffy to tell Spike the truth, which she does, in a way.

Lt. Wilkens knows more about Dawn then he’s letting on to. Why does he continue to play stupid?

Buffy tries to tell Spike the truth about the past and Spike tries to tell Buffy the truth about Angel’s horse scheme.


A/N: This story has about 5 more chapters to it. I hope you guys read and enjoy! Thanks.


Buffy and Giles stood by the track fence and watched as Spike and Tito led Dawn about on the Charger. The small blond woman and older British man were soon joined by Riley, Jesse, Mitch and Lars.

“Lookin’ good, Buffy,” Jesse purred, sidling up next to Buffy, apparently a little to close for Giles’ taste.

“That’s Miss Summers to you, Jesse,” Rupert snipped in his most curt tone.

“Sorry,” Jesse muttered. “You do look good though,” he whispered again into Buffy’s ear. “Good enough to eat, actually.”

“Back off, Jesse,” Buffy growled lowly, unable to actually look the man in the face when she replied.

For some reason, Giles noted, Buffy seemed particularly uneasy around Jesse. Rupert had just noticed this, this time, but remembered other times, just recently, when his female companion had reacted the same way. Especially with Jesse for some reason and this perplexed the older man.

Spike took that moment to join the group by the fence, allowing Tito to continue to trot the Charger around the track. The blond man smiled lovingly at Buffy, alerting every other male there that Buffy was truly ‘his’ once again.

“Hi,” Buffy murmured softly to William, allowing him to take her hand in his.

“Hey baby,” Spike replied gently as he brought Buffy’s hand up to his mouth for a tender kiss.

“Oh, so that ‘is’ how it is,” Riley chuckled heartily. “So the blond dashing duo, back together at last, huh?” If Riley was being sarcastic, it was lost on the others as the man seemed genuinely pleased with this turn of events.

“Yeah, that ‘is’ how it is,” Spike growled, good-naturedly at his employees. He pulled Buffy into his arms and kissed her fiercely on her lush little mouth.

“Will,” Buffy squealed in a mock scandalized tone. “We shouldn’t do this in public,” she giggled happily, slapping gently at his chest.

“Why not?” Spike purred, virtually shutting out everyone and everything but Buffy’s pretty face and mouth.

“Because…..” she began in protest.

“Because it’s kind of stomach turning boss,” Jesse spat with distaste. “I mean, Summers ‘is’ Angel’s girl and…”

“Not anymore,” Spike roared at the taller, thinner man, possessively. “Buffy and me are…”

“Apparently, back together,” Giles interjected with his suave diplomatic way.

Rupert watched Jesse, carefully and noted an odd look in the man’s dark eyes. If he didn’t know better..... Rupert Giles could swear that Jesse was in the throws of jealousy that boiled just below the surface of his even temper.

“I thought you were going to an early supper, dear,” Giles blurted suddenly at Buffy. “With Spike and Dawn? Lindy’s, wasn’t it?”

“Yes,” Buffy responded quickly. “We’re due at Lindy’s Will,” she reminded her lover in an affectionate tone. “Like, right now?” She added nodding at Dawn who still rode the magnificent steed.

“Right,” Spike drawled, taking Buffy by the arm and leading her away from the other men. “Thanks for seein’ to my girl, Rupes,” Spike called over his shoulder at Giles.

“I’ll talk to you later, Giles,” Buffy promised the older man as she let William lead her onto the track to meet up with Dawn.

Rupert Giles watched the two blonds and little girl walk to the front of the race track, arm in arm. Suddenly, like a lightening bolt, the older man was hit with what he might call an epiphany.

‘It was Jesse,’ he realized, somewhat stunned. ‘Jesse was the one that put the final wedge between Buffy and Spike, four years ago. He’s the one that Buffy spoke of and feared so. The one that trumped up the lies about Spike. Jesse was the one that told her Spike had killed a man that day and turned her completely against him.’

‘ But…’ Giles paused in his jumbled thoughts, momentarily. He pulled out his gold cigarette case and nervously lit a smoke.

“Ahh,” he sighed in contentment, “that’s better.” Then he scrunched up his brow and continued his musings.

‘If it was Jesse that nailed the coffin on Spike and Buffy’s relationship, then it was Jesse that tried to…’ Giles gasped at his horrible realizations and scanned the area. He was looking for Jesse and a confirmation of his worst fears.

When he caught sight of Jesse, Giles surmised that his suspicions were most likely true. Jesse was staring off after the trio; Spike, Buffy and little Dawn, his dark eyes narrowed into slits of envy and anger.


“Well, well, again our Spuffy duo are together, eh?” Lieutenant Wilkens chuckled in delight as he met Spike, Buffy and Dawn at the front gate of the track.

“Hello Larry,” Buffy smiled at Cordelia’s husband. “Spuffy? What’s Spuffy,” she asked the policeman with a confused grin.

“Spike and Buffy equals Spuffy, or at least according to my darling wife, Cordy.” The lieutenant grinned warmly at the little blond woman. “And how are you little one? Dawn, wasn’t it?” The policeman bent down to smile coyly at the little girl.

“Uh, huh,” Dawn mumbled, looking up at Buffy and Spike, warily. There was something about the way this policeman looked at her, the tone in his voice? This cop knew more then he was letting on and the savvy child picked up on it immediately.

“What brings you down here, Wilkens,” Spike muttered, trying to sound indifferent. Spike was well aware that Wilkens was sniffing around the track for some reason; either because he knew something about Dawn, or about Angel’s ludicrous scheme with the horse.

“Nothin’ much, Jameson,” Wilkens replied coolly. “I just wanted to get you up-do-date on the Merrick case,” he finished with a quick glance at the child. Wilkens quirked his right eyebrow when Dawn’s eyes grew round with curiosity at his words.

“Buffy, take your little ‘sis’ over for ice cream, huh? I’ll just be a second,” Spike ordered Buffy evenly.

Buffy took Dawnie by the hand and led her over to the little diner for a cone.

‘What’s Larry know?’ Buffy asked herself, terrified that the smart cop had found out Dawn’s true identity.

“No need for the Bit to hear the bloody details, Wilkens,” Spike shrugged defensively.

“True, true,” Lt. Wilkens nodded. “Got word, just today,” the officer of the law continued smoothly, “that this Merrick knows, make that knew Angelus. Maybe even worked for him a time or two?”

“Who knows? Certainly not me, Wilkens,” Spike shrugged again and casually looked at his fingernails.

“Now, why wouldn’t a nice, loyal employee of Angel’s, such as yourself, know ‘your entire boss’s other employees?” Wilkens glared at Spike, suspiciously, careful not to take his eyes off of the shorter blond man.

“I don’t know every bloody thing about Angelus, Wilkens,” Spike growled quickly. “What the fuck, am I supposed to keep tabs on my own boss? Know when the man goes to the loo even?”

“No, but…..” Wilkens glanced over at Buffy Summers and her so called little sister. The two females were sitting at small table, chatting amicably enough. However, Buffy kept staring at Larry and this alerted the cop to the fact that something wasn’t right here.

“This Merrick,” Wilkens began, again, in his most casual tone. “Word has it that he brought his small daughter with him, here to New York. Word has it that they came from Chicago, you know, the Windy City? Where your ‘boss’ Angelus O’Connor happens to be visiting at the present?”

“Look, Wilkens,” Spike muttered, trying to keep his cool and all the while glancing at Buffy. The poor girl looked white as a ghost and as if she was about to grab Dawn and bolt at any minute.

“I don’t know nothin’ Wilkens,” Spike sighed in frustration. “The only kid I know about is Buffy’s little ‘sis’ there, Dawnie Summers. That’s the fucking truth and…”

“Okay, okay, Spike,” the officer grumbled. “I’ll buy that Dawn is Buffy Summers’ little sister, for now anyway. See you around, Spike,” Lt. Wilkens smiled amicably at the blond man.

“Goodbye Buffy,” Larry Wilkens grinned at Buffy and Dawn and waved. “Remember what I said about dropping by to see Cordelia,” he added before he turned and slowly walked away.


Buffy closed her guest bedroom door, softly, as not to wake the sleeping child in the bed. Dawn had fallen asleep, immediately after her bath and Buffy was glad for that. She needed to speak with William, privately and they hadn’t had a chance yet that day.

Spike sat on Buffy’s couch, leaned back with his eyes closed. He wasn’t asleep, of course, but if felt bloody good to rest for a minute. At least before Buffy came to the couch and started grilling him about the Wilkens conversation earlier that day.

“She’s out like a light,” Buffy giggled softly, allowing Will to pull her onto his lap. “Little wonder, really,” she continued lightly, “the little doll put away a whole New York steak and all of her potato! How can that little thing eat so much?”

“Yeah,” Spike chuckled as he nuzzled Buffy’s neck with his lips. “The Bit can eat like a lorry driver, like I told Harris today when….” His voice trailed off.

‘No way I’m tellin’ my girl about the track today and those gits egging me on to bet on…..’ Spike paused in his thoughts when he saw the concern in Buffy’s wide beautiful eyes.

“Larry knows something, doesn’t he?” Buffy whispered in a worried tone.

“Yeah, he does, kitten,” Spike replied reluctantly, not wanting to scare Buffy, but not wanting to lie to her either. “I’m guessin’ that he’s aware just who the Bit really is,” he finished with a scowl.

“Oh, God, Will,” Buffy whimpered, her face buried into his chest. “I can’t lose her,” she began to weep softly. “I know she’s not mine; not my daughter or my sister, but when I hold her? When I sing her to sleep and see her sweet smile? I can’t believe she’s not ‘mine’ in some sense of the word.”

“I know,” Spike mumbled, kissing his girl’s warm forehead. “I’m sorry, baby,” he continued sadly, “for ever getting you mixed up in this mess and….”

“I’m not sorry,” Buffy stated evenly, wiping the tiny tears from her eyes. “I’m not sorry a bit that I got mixed up in this so called mess.” Buffy’s face was scrunched up in determination and she almost glared at William.

Spike noticed that Buffy was getting a bit defensive and quickly tried to diffuse the situation before it got completely out of hand. His girl was a reactionary, sometimes, and now wasn’t the time or place for one of their famous rows.

“I mean, I got Dawn, and got you back,” Buffy murmured under her breath. “Besides,” she continued, “Larry seems to ‘understand’ that Dawn is better off with us, right?”



“Yeah,” Spike whispered into his love’s little warm ear, “that you did. I mean about the getting’ me back and all? Not that it was that difficult, eh?” He snorted a bit, then grinned at his blond love.

“And you’re too right,” he continued evenly, “Wilkens seems to ‘want’ us to have Dawn. At least for now. I can’t imagine why, but maybe it’s got to do with the fact that our grand lieutenant was adopted?”

“He was?” Buffy asked, a little stunned by this, but more because William knew about it.

“Yeah, he was. Lawrence Wilkens used to be a pretty good friend of mine, Princess,” Spike stated matter-of-factly. “When you and I were first together and he was courtin’ your friend Cordelia Chase. There was a lot of nights that ole Larry and me sat up, drinking our lady woes away. Blokes talk a lot when they’re taking the drink, Buffy,” Spike pulled her closer to his body. “It’s a guy thing, I guess,” he finished with a shrug.

“So you think Larry Wilkens is concerned about Dawn going to an orphanage? I mean, maybe he’s found out that Dawnie doesn’t have any surviving family and wants the little doll with people who care? Like, us?” Buffy pursed her lips and scrunched up her fair brow, in confusion.

“Maybe,” Spike nodded in reply. “Lt. Wilkens is an okay bloke, that’s for sure. He’s known about Angelus, me and the boys for years. He always turned a blind eye to us; until now that is.”


Suddenly, Buffy clinched William’s neck even tighter and pulled his face up to hers again. She kissed him, passionately on his mouth and whimpered softly:

“Let’s go to bed, okay Will?” Buffy sighed in a breathy pant. “Take me to bed, Will, please?”

“You don’t ever have to plead with me to do that, Princess,” Spike rasped as he picked his lover up and carried her to the bedroom.

“Jesus Buffy,” Spike gasped as he thrust into her. Okay, make that ‘pounded’ into her with his dick. “You’re so hot and wet, baby,” he moaned in appreciation.

“Will,” Buffy rasped, thrusting up to meet her lover’s moves with her own hips. “That feels so good, Will,” she whimpered for the tenth time in an hour.

“Love you,” Spike murmured in a raspy voice, “I love you so much, Buffy. Never leave me again, promise, sweetling. Never ever go away from me again.” He kissed her lush little mouth and groaned his pleas as he did.

“Never,” Buffy cried out in reply as she came. “I could never leave you Will, ever again. Never leave me, promise ‘me’ that, William, please or I’ll….”

“I’ll never leave you,” Spike promised earnestly. “I will never, ever leave you or go away from you. Ever. I couldn’t leave you, I love you too bloody much and all. You’re my everything, Buffy and you always will be. My lover; my golden goddess and my soul mate. It’s always been you for me, sweet, always. I’ll never….”

Buffy felt her orgasm rip through her and watched as Will’s tore through him. Somehow, she felt ‘relieved’ that he had cum just after she did. It bonded them somehow and made her feel more prepared for what she had to confess to her William tonight.

Giles’ words rang true with Buffy and she felt like she had to tell William everything. Or, at least something close to everything from their past.

Spike lit up a cigarette and leaned back against the head board of the bed. He glanced up to heaven and thanked God, again, to have Buffy back in his arms.

“Will,” Buffy whispered shyly from her place next to him. He had his left arm wrapped about her, while he smoked his cigarette with his right hand.

“Yeah, my princess,” Spike murmured in contentment.

“I need to talk to you, Will,” Buffy stammered, unsure of herself for some reason. “We need to talk, William,” she snipped abruptly.

Spike rolled over to face his lover, taking in the serious look in her wide green eyes. He was not liking this sudden somber demeanor of his Buffy. It made him nervous for some reason.

‘It’s better to be anxious and nervous about Buffy, here, with me, then be without her,” Spike reasoned.

“Go ahead,” he nodded at Buffy, “I’ll hear you out, pet.”

“I need to talk to you, Will,” Buffy repeated in a monotone voice. “About the past; four years ago to be exact,” she finished with lowered eyes.

“We don’t need to re-hash all that crap, Buffy,” Spike grumbled. “I mean it; we don’t need to…..”

“I need to,” Buffy whispered harshly. “For you; for me and well, for a lot of reasons. So please just lay there and listen baby,” she pleaded quietly.

“I’ll listen,” Spike mumbled in an anxious tone.

Buffy snuggled closer into her lover and stared up at the ceiling, more then unsure about this conversation.

“Back then, four years ago, Will,” she stammered cautiously, “I kind of found something of yours.”

“Mine? What?” Spike asked, completely clueless as to what his love was talking about.

“Your journal,” Buffy whispered reluctantly, “you’re writing journal. I found it, just days before I left you then.”

“Journal?” Spike asked nervously, fully aware of what Buffy was talking about.

‘Oh, for Christ’s sake,’ Spike moaned silently, ‘my bloody poetry journal. How the fuck did Buffy find that poncy piece of crap and……’

“You know what I’m talking about,” Buffy growled impatiently. “I found your writing journal, the one you hid so carefully from me. I was cleaning out your desk, in your apartment and found it. What could I do, Will? I ‘had’ to read it and find out what made you tick. I mean really tick.”

Buffy watched as William’s farcical expression changed from ashen fear to red hot embarrassment in a matter of seconds. It near killed her to go on, but she had to.

“Your words, in the journal,” Buffy sputtered, “they were beautiful, Will. I know that prose of yours was about ‘me’ and it meant so much, honestly, it did. But…..”

“But?” Spike asked through clenched teeth. He was pretty sure of where this conversation was going, but he wasn’t sure he was ready to face it.

“I realized, when I read your writings? I realized that you were so much better then this,” Buffy threw her hands in the air and let them fall onto the bed. “Better then the life you’d carved out for yourself. You ‘are’ better then a two-bit street thug that does another hood’s bidding at the drop of his hat and…..”

“Oh come on, Buff,” Spike growled, suddenly put out by his girl’s self-righteousness. “You’ve been shagging Angel for nearly two years now and…”

“Because he was the only thing I could cling to!” Buffy cried out in defense of herself. “I left you because you killed a man! Parker Abrams was only a friend; then a lover and a man I maybe could have a normal life with. He…..”

“Threw you out when he found out what a fucking tramp you were?” Spike hissed at Buffy, his eyes narrowed into slits.

“Will!” Buffy gasped in horror, pulling away from the man she loved. The man who had just moments before, been making love to her, so sweetly.

“Let’s get something straight,” Buffy rasped in a hardened voice. “Parker did not throw me out at all. And, for the record? His parents adored me,” she spat at William with a venom she thought she’d lost somewhere in the past. “It was me that left Parker,” she added smugly. “I left him because I thought I wasn’t good enough for him. The kid deserved someone better then me. Especially since I was still in love with…..”

Buffy pulled completely away from William, in disgust and leapt up from her bed. She pulled a fluffy little pink robe about her and headed for the door, not looking back at Will who was still in the bed. Or, so she thought.


Spike bolted up from the bed and closed in on Buffy, his prey, who had nearly made it to the closed bedroom door. They were going to hash this out, tonight. That or beat each other to a bloody pulp, verbally, before the night was over.

“To start with?” Spike spat angrily, “I’ve never killed a man. Well, not here in the States that is,” he added guiltily.

“You killed him, didn’t you?” Buffy gasped in shock. “That monster that hurt your sister in England? You were the one that…”

“Yes,” Spike grunted harshly. “And I’d do it again. The fucking wanker had it comin’ and I’d do it again, in a heartbeat!”

“Oh,” Buffy murmured in a meek little voice. “I see,” she sighed sadly, flopping on the bed once more.

Spike lay down beside her and took her in his arms. “I’ve never killed a man since then, Buffy, I swear it,” he whispered. “I don’t know what someone told you but I have never killed a man here, in the States. I……”

“Jesse,” Buffy mumbled unable to look at her William, “he told me, back then, that you killed a man named Snyder that day. It was the day I left you, for good I mean.” Buffy began to cry, quietly.

“Jesus, Buffy,” Spike grumbled, pulling her as close as he could, “I didn’t kill Snyder. No one did. Riley and Jesse beat him to a pulp, grant it, but that was on Angel’s orders, luv.”

“You were there, weren’t you?” Buffy asked in a childish tone. “You gave the orders, didn’t you,” she finished bitterly.

“Yes,” Spike responded in regret. “It was Angelus that ordered that, kitten. I only followed orders. If you knew what a bloody monster your Angel was? I doubt you’d be bothered to sleep with him,” Spike spat in resentment.

“He’s not half the man you are, William. Angel doesn’t concern me,” Buffy stated coolly. “Only you do,” she continued, softening up just a bit. “Angel was a means to and end for me, Will,” Buffy groaned into her love’s chest. “I only ended up with him to be in your orbit again. It was wrong of me I know it, but…..”

“I don’t care,” Spike growled, crushing his mouth into Buffy’s. “We’re back together again and it’s all that matters to me, Princess.” He kissed her forehead, then her cheeks, then her warm, sweet mouth again.

“It’s true,” Buffy whispered, “I don’t give a damn either; about the past, yours or mine. I want to be with you Will, always, just like you want to be with me. Right?”

“Right,” Spike murmured, delighted when Buffy ran her warm little hand back over his cock.

“Buffy,” Spike whispered as he clutched her close to him, “Jesse, what did he say to you? What did he do?”

“It doesn’t matter anymore,” Buffy replied in a soft sincere tone, “whatever Jesse said or did isn’t important anymore. Is it really, Will?”

“No,” Spike muttered, still unsettled by his girl’s admissions. “Buffy,” he stammered, unsure if he should come completely clean with her.

‘Fuck this,’ Spike grumbled to himself, ‘I’m tellin’ Buffy the truth, completely. She deserves to know about the Angel and that damned horse, The Charger.’


A/N: I stopped here, I wasn’t going to. I was going to throw all kinds of angst into this chapter and just run with it! Okay, I ended this chapter here, but the next one will start with Spike’s confession about the Charger scheme and all. Warning: Buffy will not take it well, and there will be Spuffy angst. However, it will be brief and not too terribly painful?


Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.
Chapter 14: 'Truth Time' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you for reading, please review.
Chapter 14: ‘Truth Time’


Summary: Spike confesses the truth to Buffy about the horse race scheme. How will she take it? Buffy tells Dawn the truth about her father, kind of.


A/N: This is the start of the Spuffy angst, but I promise it won’t be too bad.




Spike checked to make sure that Buffy was still awake. She was. He pulled her bare little body closer to his and stroked her hair, then her arms, lovingly.

‘You’re so fragile lookin’ sweet,’ Spike mused as he watched Buffy ‘resting’ next to him. ‘But you’re so bloody strong, inside and out.’

Frankly, he almost wished she was sound asleep then he wouldn’t be so inclined to tell her the truth about Angel’s latest scheme, at least not tonight.

“Buffy,” he whispered, then hesitated briefly. “We need to talk, Princess,” he stammered into the darkness. “About the horse and the Bit; about us and even about Angel, yeah?”

“Okay,” Buffy sighed in reply, trying to mask her weariness. She so did not want to carry on this conversation, especially not tonight, but…..

“About the horse, The Charger, sweetheart,” Spike began attentively, afraid of his Buffy’s reaction. “You know he’s Angel’s property and the great poof can do anything he wants with the horse, right?”

“Yeah,” Buffy drawled as she snuggled closer into Will’s warm body. “What’s this about, William?” She asked in a little girl’s voice. This had to be bad, Buffy could tell, but she wanted to let Will tell it, no matter how bad it might be.

“Tell me,” Buffy ordered quietly (at least for her) when William paused just a bit too long for her taste. “Tell me, Will,” she demanded again, her tiny hands rested on his chiseled cheekbones. She searched his open blue eyes, looking for the truth she knew he would tell her.

Spike slipped out of the bed and strode to the small settee close by. He immediately felt the loss of contact with Buffy’s warm body. His jacket was on it and he pulled out his smokes and lit one, then slowly took a long drag of it.

“Angel,” Spike whispered, unable to look at Buffy who still lay in the bed. “He has a plan, for The Charger,” he stammered, finally staring Buffy straight in the eye.

“A plan?” Buffy asked in a quiet, nervous tone. “What kind of plan?”

“A stupid one,” Spike spat harshly, stubbing out his cigarette into the ashtray on the night table. He flopped back down on the bed and placed his head in his hands. “A bloody ridiculous plan that’ll line his pockets with lots of cash. Angel’s, mine and the others. We’ll all make a fortune from it, Buffy,” Spike rasped, again unable to look her in the eyes.

“I don’t understand, Will,” Buffy murmured as she sat up and placed her hand on his shoulder. “What ‘plan’ has Angel come up with? How is it going to line everyone’s pockets with a fortune and…..” Suddenly, she stopped dead and reached up to pull William’s head around so his he faced her.

“What plan, William?” Buffy asked him again, sternly. “What are you and Angel up to Will?”

“Angel has this scheme, Buffy,” Spike mumbled, “to fix a race, tomorrow actually. He’s put the word out on the street, via me and the boys, that The Charger is a sure thing in the sixth race, to lose this time. Now,” Spike stammered, “The Charger has never been a sure thing, right? The last race, when he won? That had to be a fluke, right?”

“Yes, Buffy whispered with a nod, a sinking feeling in the pit of her tummy.

“Angel’s got it fixed that The Charger’ll lose the race, for sure. Everyone that takes Angel’s advice and our markers will lose their shirts tomorrow, on the race, if they do bet on the Charger.” Spike hung his head in shame at the thought of a fixed race, but after all, it was his job to do what Angel O’Connor said, right?

“But you said that Angel has it fixed that The Charger will lose. What’s going on here, William? What has Angel got to do with this and more importantly, how are you involved?” Buffy glared into her lover’s blue eyes, pleading with him for the whole truth.

“Tomorrow, when our horse loses, then it’ll cause a lot of insecurity on the poor beast,” Spike mumbled. “The Charger is due to race, next week, again, in the fifth race at the track. Next time,” he paused, took a deep breath and swallowed hard. “The next race will be fixed too, Princess,” he continued weakly.

“Only this time? The Charger will be sure to win the race, really sure to win it. Angel is having someone make sure the horse is shot with a speedball, by a professional. After the race, the one that The Charger is sure to win? The poor slob of a horse will drop dead of a heart attack, just minutes later, probably in the winner’s circle.” Spike felt like he was going to be physically ill by this time.

“Angel is going to have The Charger killed?” Buffy gasped, her green eyes wide with horror.

Spike nodded slowly as he reached around and wrapped his arms about her. He pulled her in close to him and whispered, “Angel will bet everything on The Charger. Everyone else will pay on the other main horse. When The Charger crosses the finish line, first? Angel will clean up, just like the rest of us.”

“Oh,” Buffy managed to choke out. “So, this ‘guy’ the one that’s to make sure that this professional shoots The Charger with the speedball? It’s you, isn’t it, Will?”

Buffy’s voice sounded so strange, even to herself and William looked at her as if she’d grown two heads. His blue eyes looked cold to her, suddenly, even if they were tinged with some secret torment.

‘Tell me it’s not you,’ Buffy begged her lover silently. ‘Please, Will, tell it’s not you and I’m wrong and we’ll go on and……’

“Yes,” Spike whispered shamefully, “it’s me.” He finished in a regret tinged voice. “I’m not the one that’s going to shoot the horse, just……”

“Oh, God,” Buffy groaned, miserably as she slipped out of the bed and pulled on a robe. “I don’t believe this,” she moaned again and started for the bedroom door.

“Buffy, Princess, wait,” Spike hissed, making a grab for her arm. He pulled her about to face him, terrified of the hateful expression in her beautiful green eyes.

“I, I didn’t want to go along with this, Buffy, “he stammered defensively. “I never felt that this was the right thing to do and…..”

“But, you’re going along with it, anyway, right?” Buffy spat the question at him like an angry snake. “You,” she hissed at him in disgust, “you and your ‘guys’ right along with Angel? You’ll all make out like bandits with this one, won’t you? All those poor other slobs will bet against The Charger. Win he wins? You’ll all win right along with him. Except, you’ll all be alive, but not The Charger, he’ll…..”

“Look Buffy,” Spike mumbled, “it’s not like Angel isn’t the one thought this up and all. He’s in charge; it’s his fucking horse after all and what he says goes. Don’t throw stones, sweetheart,” he muttered under his breath, “you’re livin’ in a bloody glass house here. At least where your precious Angel is concerned!”

“He’s not ‘my’ precious Angel, Will!” Buffy cried in a hurt tone. “I thought when you and I, you know, got back together?” She glanced at her disheveled bed, suddenly ashamed by everything between her and William.

“Yeah,” Spike growled, pulling Buffy closer to his body, “you’re right. We ‘are’ back together and all, so let’s not rock the boat, eh? Angel will be back in town, soon, and you can hand him his walking papers.

In fact,” he continued harshly, “tomorrow, first thing? I want you to waltz down to his bloody club and hand in your resignation. When the great poof gets back to town? I’ll give him my walking papers and we’ll get the fuck out of this rat hole. Big Apple my British arse,” he grumbled, “more like a bloody rotten apple.”

“But, until then?” Buffy looked up at her lover with wide green eyes.

‘My lover,’ she thought sadly as tiny tears began to fill her eyes. She felt her throat closing up and suddenly, it seemed quite stuffy and hot in her living room.

“Until then,” she choked out, “you’ll do your master’s bidding? You’ll let some so called vet kill off The Charger to what? Make some money for Angel and yourself? For those idiots who work for you; even Rupert?”

“Buffy,” Spike sighed heavily, “it’s a little more complicated then that. I owe Angel, but more importantly? I owe the guys; yes, even Rupert Giles. You don’t think he’s on to this whole scheme of Angel’s? Christ, Buffy, Giles is the one that convinced me to go along with it!” Spike tried to cover his self-righteous smirk, but failed miserably.

“I don’t believe you,” Buffy spat angrily. “I’d believe that you’re Satan himself, rather then believe that Giles is one of your unholy minions. How could you, Will?” She pulled away from him and strode into her kitchen, intent on getting a glass of water, anything to distract her from this sudden mess.

Spike lit a cigarette and poured himself a drink from her bar. ‘Angel’s bar,’ he reasoned resentfully. ‘Buffy has the fucking gall to judge me about the horse scheme and yet she lives in a place that the great poof probably rents for her and…..’

“What about Dawn?” Buffy rasped from the kitchen door, a tall glass of water in her tiny hand. “Did you ever stop to think about Dawn and how much she loves that damned horse? God, William,” she whined in a hushed voice, “Dawn loves The Charger and yet, you don’t give a damn about that, do you?”

“I do, Buffy,” Spike whimpered, setting his drink down on the bar and closing the gap between him and her. He reached out to take her in his arms, but Buffy pulled away, cutting him to the core.

“Don’t touch me,” she ordered him in her low, harsh voice. “You don’t have any right to touch me, not anymore,” she added bitterly. “In fact,” Buffy crossed her arms across her chest, “get your clothes on and get the hell out of here. Now, Will!” Buffy snapped off her command, curtly.

“Buffy, don’t do this,” Spike whispered, his voice desperate and strained. “Don’t send me away, not now. Not when we’ve just found each other again. I can fix this, I promise and…..”

“You can’t do a damn thing!” Buffy spat vehemently at him as she pointed at her front door. “Get out,” she hissed again. “Get out of my apartment, Will, now. Or I’ll call a cop and have you thrown out of here. Do you understand?”

“Buffy…..” Spike whispered, horrified when he felt hot tiny tears begin to form in his eyes. What kind of a fucking nancy boy was he, anyway? He was 'not' going to cry over this setback in his and Buffy’s relationship. Especially not in front of her! Christ, he ‘could’ fix this, couldn’t he?

He could make Buffy understand that everything would be fine, someday soon anyway. All’s he had to do was let this stupid plan of Angel’s play out to the end. Then he, Spike, could tell Angel to go fuck himself and walk off with Buffy on his own arm. The Bit could come along too, of course, since that’s what Buffy’s seemed to want and everything would work out in the end. Why couldn’t Buffy see that for God’s sake?

“I’m not leaving,” Spike blurted out stubbornly.

“Get out!” Buffy hissed again. “Get out of my sight, William Jameson. You’re a weak, worthless piece of crap, at least to me and for right now! I don’t want you anywhere near me or Dawn right now. You allowed that poor kid to fall in love with that damned horse and now?”

Buffy pushed William away from her and growled, “Just get out of my sight and maybe, just maybe I’ll ‘think’ things over. I don’t know, right now I’m so enraged at you Will. You and that bastard you work for, so….” She pointed at the door, again and glared at William, even though her chin trembled with sorrow.

“I’ll go,” Spike sighed in defeat, trying not to let Buffy see the terror and tears in his eyes. “But,” he added defiantly as he slipped on his clothes, “this isn’t over, Buffy. You and me? We’ll never be over,” he finished harshly.

Buffy fell onto her couch and placed her head in her hands. For some reason, this betrayal by William seemed to be the deepest cut of all in her twenty-five years. She kept her face, buried into her hands, even when he opened her front door.

“I love you baby. Always will.” William rasped just before he slipped through the door and closed it gently behind him.

“Oh God,” Buffy let her emotions truly take over, allowing her to cry, finally. “Oh God, Will,” she sobbed as if her heart would break even more then it already had.

Buffy was so distraught and weepy, that she didn’t notice Dawn at the guest bedroom door. It was only when the child sat down on the couch, next to her and wrapped her tiny arm about Buffy’s quaking shoulders that the older woman realized she was there.

“Oh, Dawnie, you shouldn’t be awake and up now,” Buffy whimpered as she wiped at her tear-stained face. “It’s so late and….”

“Why are you crying Buffy?” Dawn asked quietly, patting Buffy’s shoulder. “Did you and Mr. Spike have one of your famous rows again?”

Buffy sniffed back another wave of tears and embraced the little girl to her, tightly. “Yeah,” she murmured sadly, “you could say we’ve had a famous row again, Will and me I mean.”

“I’m sorry, Buffy,” Dawn sighed against the blond’s neck. “I guess Mr. Spike is just being a big jerk right now, huh?”

“That he is, Little Doll,” Buffy hiccupped her reply, allowing a few more tears to spill. “It’s just that he kind of kept something from me,” she whispered, still in disbelief. ‘Make that he kept something from both of us,’ she thought to herself, angry again.

“Was it a bad lie, Buffy?” Dawn reared her dark head back and gazed into Buffy’s eyes. “Does it mean that you don’t love Mr. Spike anymore and he won’t come back? Doesn’t he love you anymore?”

The blue-eyed girl looked so unhappy at this prospect that Buffy immediately shook her head, no.

“No, honey, it does not mean he doesn’t love ‘me or you’ anymore,” Buffy tried to smile bravely. “Sometimes guys act like big jerks, even if they love you. And, he does love me and you too, Dawn, you know that, right? I love you too, I do, sweetie, honest.”

Buffy pulled Dawn back into her embrace and kissed the top of her dark head, tenderly.

“I know Buffy,” Dawn murmured, snuggling into Buffy’s warm neck. “I know Mr. Spike and you love me, just like I love you two. But…..”

The tiny child in her arms squirmed a little and pulled away from Buffy, causing her even more distress. “What is it, honey?” Buffy asked the child, carefully, “If it’s about William and me? Don’t worry, honey, we’ll get on without him and…..”

“Oh, it’s not really just about Mr. Spike and you, Buffy,” Dawn sighed. “Besides, he’ll be back for you, you know that silly. He loves you too much to let you go again.” Dawn giggled slightly and grinned at Buffy affectionately.

“I don’t know if I can forgive him this time, honey,” Buffy whimpered like a small child herself. “He’s done something pretty bad this time and I’m not sure if I can forgive him for being such a jerk.” Buffy frowned and shook her blond head, violently.

“God, men are such jerks sometimes,” she hissed, snuggling Dawn closer to her.

“But they love us anyway, right Buffy?” Dawn’s blue eyes were pleading with Buffy to answer her serious question in just the right way.

“Even if they do stupid things and behave like big jerks, sometimes, they still love us, right?” The child asked again, a little less sure this time.

“They do,” Buffy sighed in response, resting Dawn’s head on her shoulder. “They love us no matter how stupid they behave Dawn. In fact…..”

“My daddy,” Dawn suddenly blurted out, “he loves me, even though he’s being a big jerk right now,” she whispered in her childish voice. “Even if he’s never coming back for me, he still loves me. He isn’t, is he Buffy? Ever coming back for me, I mean?” Dawn raised her little head up and gazed in Buffy’s green eyes, questioningly.

“No,” Buffy whispered as she placed another tender little kiss on Dawn’s warm forehead. “You’re daddy isn’t coming back for you, Dawnie. Not because he doesn’t want to, okay,” she added quickly. “It’s because he…..” Buffy paused, unable to tell Dawn the complete truth about her father. At least not yet.

Buffy watched as one lone, silent tear slid down Dawn’s pretty little cheek. She just sat, holding the tiny girl in her arms, trying to protect or at least comfort the poor child with her embrace and silence.

Finally, Dawn spoke, but it wasn’t exactly what Buffy was expecting her to say.

“My daddy loves me, Buffy, whether he’s a big jerk right now or not. He may not be coming back for me, Buffy, and I’m sad about that. Mr. Spike will come back for you, though. I know that because he loves you way too much not to. I just hope you’ll take him back,” she smiled softly up at Buffy. Dawn then lay her head back on Buffy’s shoulder and placed her tiny hand on hers.


A/N: Well, there’s the Spuffy angst I promised. Not too bad, right? The question is, will Buffy forgive and forget this bad move on Spike’s part? (Come on, this is a Spuffy story, right?)

In the meantime, next chapter, Buffy goes back to the club to sing and leaves Dawn in Margaret’s care. That ought to go over real big with Spike, eh? He’ll know what’s going on because he’ll be calling Buffy’s apartment every five minutes to try and talk to her.

Anyway, thanks for reading and please review, spufette.
Chapter 15: 'It Had To Be You' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Please give this story a chance, I think you'll all enjoy it?
Chapter 15: ‘It Had To Be You’


Summary: Spike gets drunk and gets a late night visitor in the guise of the White Knight, Xander Harris.

Spike goes to battle for Buffy with a real formidable force.

Buffy pouts and pisses about at Heaven’s Haven, but then, she receives a ‘truce’ offering from her beloved.



Spike paced, make that stumbled, about his apartment nervously smoking cigarette after cigarette. He had reached his place, quickly, after being thrown out by Buffy herself from her own apartment. After that it was even more downhill for Spike.

He had opened a bottle of Jack; lit up smoke after smoke and drank himself into an immediate drunken stupor.

‘I’ve fucked up this time, royally,’ he admonished himself as he continued to pace back and forth in his living room. Johnathan had long since gone home to his family, so Spike was completely alone in his loft.

“Never should have agreed to the horse scheme,” Spike blubbered into his whiskey glass. “I could have had Buffy, head on and back again, if I’d never…..”

A knock at his door drew Spike out of his pity party for a brief moment. ‘It might be Buffy, come to forgive me!’ This thought brightened Spike up, briefly, until he remembered how stubborn his girl could be. ‘Just like me,’ he reasoned sourly.

“Who’s there,” he slurred angrily at the front door, just as he reached it.

“Harris,” Xander’s jovial voice sounded through the oaken door. “Let me in, Spike,” he ordered quietly.

“Why not?” Spike spat as he stumbled to his door and threw it open. “Welcome to hell,” he muttered at his taller, dark-haired friend.

“You look like shit,” Xander spat in disgust at his boss. “You need a bath and to get to bed,” he added in a now surly tone.

“Hey, I’m the boss here,” Spike muttered drunkenly. “I’m supposed to give the orders and all,” he finished with a growl. Later, Spike would think that his whole tough guy act would have looked more impressive if he hadn’t of stumbled and fell at Xander’s big feet.

“Why are you here, anyways?” Spike questioned his employee, even as he lay at his feet.

“Because,” Xander began with a sigh, “Buffy called Willow, crying. Then, Willow called Anya and I was at Anya’s house at the time. My girlfriend basically forced me to come over here and straighten you out. Actually,” the brunette scowled, “Anya threatened me by withholding sex from me. If I didn’t come over here, ASAP, and kick some sense into your thick head? I’d be without for a…..”

“Never mind,” Spike grumbled, reaching for another cigarette.
“You know, Harris, maybe you blokes and your girls should start your own telephone cartel. The way you all ‘get the word out’ via the telly is….” Spike shook his head and flopped down on his couch.

“You can go home and get some, okay,” he spat at Xander. “You’ve showed up, seen how pathetic I am and now you can…..”

“No can do boss,” Xander said evenly with a shake of his head. “You’re a mess, Buffy’s a mess and all because of this fucked up scheme of Angel’s. You are, however, pretty pathetic, you’re right about that. Tell me something; if that damned horse hadn’t come between you and Buffy? Would you still be over there, holed up in bed with Buffy? Where you belong?”

“Too right,” Spike groaned into his hands, “if it wasn’t for this fucking horse scheme? I’d be with Buffy, right now and……”

“Well, then,” Xander snorted, “sit there; shut the fuck up and listen to my advice, boss man. Let Alexander Harris, white knight extraordinaire, help you to get your girl back.”


Spike woke up the next morning, a little worse for wear, but at least he was sober. Xander had stayed for an hour or more, forcing coffee down his employer’s constricted throat. Once Spike was wide awake, if not completely sober, Harris had pushed him into a full bathtub of water.

“Sober up,” Xander barked as he turned his head when Spike pulled his shorts off. “You’re no good pissed as a sailor on shore leave,” Harris added with a chuckle.

“I’m gone,” Xander mumbled as he strode out of the bathroom. “Get some sleep, boss, and in the morning? Call your Buffy, every five minutes if you have to until she talks to you. If she won’t talk to you on the phone? Go over there and tell her that you’re threw with Angel O’Connor and his half-baked ideas.”

“Yeah,” Spike grumbled as he slipped into the tub full of very warm water. “I’d rather have Buffy then a pocketful of dough. Oh, and Xander,” he mumbled almost shyly, “thanks, mate.”

True to his word, Spike called Buffy’s place every five to ten minutes. Buffy did not answer the phone for the first hundred calls and Spike lost count of his attempts to talk to her.

Finally, on about the nine-hundred and ninety-nine of the calls, Margaret, the housekeeper, picked up the phone. “Miss Summers residence,” came the nasally, monotone voice of the old battle axe that Spike detested.

“I need to speak with Buffy,” Spike stated evenly, trying to be civil at least with the old biddy on the other end of the line.

“She is not here, Mr. Jameson,” Margaret replied in her usual disdainful tone.

“Where is she?” Spike asked impatiently, even though he tried to maintain some control over his emotions. Bloody hell but he detested this pompous old bint.

“I do not believe that it is any of your business, Mr. Jameson, but since I have been left in charge of Miss Dawn and Miss Summers’ household today? I will inform you that Miss Summers has gone down to the Club to her engagement for this evening. She…..”

“Buffy said she took time off from that dump to be with the Bit and me,” Spike finished weakly. He began to see red at the thought that Buffy had called Margaret back in to watch over Dawn and all.

‘How could Buffy do this?’ Spike asked himself in shock. ‘Buffy knows how much Margaret disapproves of Dawn and how much the Bit dislikes the old crone.’

“Miss Summers is a professional, through and through, Mr. Jameson,” Margaret wheezed. “It is her job and duty to perform at the Club. I’m sure that…..”

“Never mind,” Spike spat in exasperation. “I’ll be over to Buffy’s place, within an hour, to collect the Bit.”

“Mr. Jameson,” Margaret snorted, “I will not hand over a six-year-old child to you. Especially not when Miss Summers has made it clear that I am to take charge of her.”

“Margaret, if Dawn is not ready to leave with me and my man, Johnathan, by the time I get there? I’ll kick Buffy’s door down and throw you out in the street. Dawn cannot stand the sight of you, you bloody old biddy. Believe me, the Bit is in the majority on this one. You’re a hard-hearted, mean spirited old hag who by the grace of God himself keeps your job with my Buffy out of the kindness of ‘her’ heart.”

When Spike heard nothing but silence on the other end of the phone, he took courage.

“I’ll be there in an hour, with Johnathan. Dawn will be spending the evening with my valet and his family. Johnny and his wife, Amy, have three wonderful tots to keep Dawnie happy and occupied while I go and fetch Buffy home where she belongs. Have a bag packed for the Bit and I’d advise you, Margaret Walsh, not to make any of your famous telly calls to anyone. Including that Neanderthal, Angel, who I know you're so bloody fond of.”

Spike slammed the phone down and called out to Johnathan who was puttering around in his kitchen. “Johnny boy, get your arse out here! We’ve got two ladies to rescue. One’s my future wife and one’s a little half-pint of a chit.”


After knocking on Buffy’s front door for what seemed like five minutes, Margaret finally answered.

“About bloody time,” Spike spat angrily at the bitter woman.

“I do not like this, Mr. Jameson,” Margaret began in her superior tone. “Miss Summers made it clear that I was to…..”

“Go home to your mother?” Spike finished the sentence for his girl’s housekeeper. “Where’s the Bit?” He asked impatiently, glancing about Buffy’s living room.

“I’m here, Mr. Spike,” Dawn gushed as she scurried from the guest room door. The little girl carried a small bag in her hand, Spike noted with relief.

“I am so glad you came to pick me up, Mr. Spike,” Dawn squealed in delight when Spike swept her up into his arms. “Is Johnathan downstairs, in your car?” She asked hopefully.

“Yup, Bit, Johnathan is in the car, ready to take you to his house for supper and to play with his children. You’ll like Amy, his wife, and the three little ones.” Spike tousled Dawn’s hair and glared at Margaret who glared back at him with her usual pinched expression.

“Oh goody!” Dawn exclaimed gleefully. “Are you going to go get Buffy now, Mr. Spike? Are you going to bring her home from Angel’s club?”

“Of course, Bit,” Spike chuckled in reply. “Margaret,” he straightened up and glared again at the older woman. “It’s time for you to head on home yourself. If Miss Summers needs you? She’ll give you a ring, right? Otherwise, if I were you, I’d seek other employment.”

“Hmmph,” Margaret snorted. “I hope Miss Summers knows what she’s getting into.”

“She does,” Spike and Dawn responded in unison.


Buffy sat in her dressing room and stared into the full length mirror of the vanity. She wore a black silk evening gown that had tiny spangles on it. Her hair was up, in a loose bun and wisps of tendrils dangled about her cheeks.

“I look like death warmed over,” Buffy hissed at her reflection in the mirror. “Black is so not my shade,” she sighed in resignation, “makes me look like I’m ready for the graveyard.”

There was a quick, short knock at her dressing room door and Buffy sighed again. “Who is it,” she asked wearily.

“It’s Andrew Miss Summers,” the Heaven’s Haven doorman and all around gofer called softly from the other side of the door.

“Come in,” Buffy ordered the young, genteel man. She liked Andrew, Buffy did, even if he was Angel’s little squealer.

“You look lovely,” Andrew gushed sincerely enough as he perused Buffy’s gown and look.

“Thanks, Andy,” Buffy sighed, “is Daniel ready with the first number?”

“Well, yeah, but…..” Andrew paused, apparently deep in thought. “Miss Summers?” The pixie-faced man stammered, “I’ve brought a special delivery for you, Miss. Roses, three dozen of them, at least,” he continued with a warm grin.

“Roses?” Buffy turned to face Andrew with a raised brow. “What color are the roses,” she asked shyly, almost afraid of the young man’s answer.

“Blood red, Miss,” Andrew gushed proudly. “Blood red roses; at least three dozen of them, if not more. There’s a card, too, Miss Summers. Shall I bring them in here?” He asked carefully.

“Yes, absolutely,” Buffy murmured with a slight smile. “Please bring them in here, Andrew,” she finished wistfully.

Andrew returned quickly, carrying a huge bouquet of beautiful blood red roses. He set them on the coffee table and quickly arranged them, pulling the tiny white card from the center of the bouquets.

“Here’s the card, Miss Summers,” Andrew quipped smugly. “I’ll just take my leave now, Miss.”

After he had left, Buffy opened the little white card, delicately, and read the few lines that had been lovingly jotted down on it.


My Beloved Princess,

I would rather live like a pauper in Heaven, with you; then a rich prince in hell without you.

I love you beyond worlds, sweet Buffy. Please forgive me and grant me another chance.

Love forever and always, William.


Buffy swallowed hard and reread the words on the card. They were simple words, really. However, to Buffy, they were prose on the level of the great William Shakespeare himself.

“Buffy, it’s Willow. Can I come in?” Willow’s sweet voice echoed from the other side of the dressing room door.

“Yeah, Wills,” Buffy chirped happily, tucking the beautiful little card into her vanity drawer.

“Guess who’s at the front most tables; in the club?” Willow exclaimed excitedly.

“William?” Buffy replied, trying to sound as non-chalet as possible. Since her heart was racing like a horse (okay, she should not go there, right?).

“Yes!” Willow cried in surprise. “He’s at the front most tables and I should know. I sat him there myself! Oh, Buffy, honey, he’s come to make amends. I just know it!”

“Perhaps,” Buffy purred, sniffing one of the beautiful red roses. She quickly clipped the thorn less flower from its stem and placed it over her left ear.

“Should I wear my hair down, Wills?” Buffy asked her best friend coyly. “William loves my hair down you know,” she finished with a wink at Willow.

“Yes,” Willow whispered, reaching out and loosening Buffy’s bun so that her golden hair fell about her shoulders. “You should wear your hair down and loose. Perhaps you should wear that rose in it?”

“I shall,” Buffy giggled, clipping the lovely bud over her left ear. “And,” she continued, “Please tell your Daniel that I need a few more moments, before we start the first set. I need to change my dress,” Buffy murmured as she eyed the red evening gown that hung in her opened closet.

“I’ll tell Danny to hold off your set,” Willow chirped happily. “I was wondering,” the red-headed woman stammered through pursed lips. “What do you think about starting with the new number? Instead of the ‘Someone To Watch Over Me’ tune?”

“I think that’s a great idea,” Buffy turned and placed her tiny hand on Willow’s arm. “Please tell Daniel to prepare the new tune; the ‘It Had To Be You’ piece will be perfect,” she grinned up at her best friend. “Here,” Buffy offered Willow a cleaned rose for her own hair piece. Oh, and have Daniel wear this one on his lapel, please Willow?” Buffy handed Willow another sweet little rose bud.

“Sure thing,” Willow smiled down at her best friend. “Oh, Buffy,” she gushed gleefully, “I’m so happy for you!”

“Me too!” Buffy replied with a hearty laugh. “I’m quite happy for all of us!”


Buffy strode out onto the stage of Heaven’s Haven. She was wearing the blood red dress that she knew William would just love beyond reason on her. Her hair was down, about her shoulders and she had clipped the red rose above her left ear.


Before she had set foot on the stage that evening, Buffy insisted that the lighting crew darken the stage completely. Then, she ordered just one, golden spot light to shine on her as she sang the first song of the set. Hopefully, the first song would be her last song for the evening!


“Ladies and gentlemen,” Daniel Osbourne announced from his seat at the baby grand piano he had mastered years before. “I give you Miss Buffy Summers and a lovely ballad, ‘It Had To Be You.’


Buffy stood in the middle of the spot light, her head hung down; her eyes focused on her stiletto heels.


‘It had to be you, it had to be you,
I wandered around an’ finally found
Somebody who
Could make me be true
Could make me be blue
And even be glad, just to be sad,
Thinkin’ of you.’


Spike watched as Buffy began her song; his eyes trained on her beautiful face. She was even lovelier in the spot light and it made his heart sing that she was wearing a rose in her left ear. His rose, one he’d sent her.

Buffy lifted her eyes up, slowly, and focused on William who sat in the front most table of the club. She was ecstatic, of course, when she noted that his beautiful blue eyes were trained on her, completely.


‘Some others I’ve seen
Might never be mean
Might never be cross, or try to be boss,
But they wouldn’t do
For nobody else gave me a thrill.
With all of your faults, I love you still,
It had to be you, wonderful you,
It had to be you!’


Spike forced himself to sit still in his seat as he lit up another smoke and sipped his champagne. His Buffy; his golden goddess was singing this song for him and him alone. He kept his eyes trained on hers, as she did his.

‘Some others I’ve seen
Might never be mean
Might never be cross, or try to be boss,
But they wouldn’t do…..
Nobody else gave me a thrill,
With all of your faults, I love you still,
It had to be you, wonderful you, it had to be you!
It just had to be you!’


When Buffy finished her song, the whole club audience broke out in excited applause. She was frozen, however, on the stage, her green eyes trained on William’s blue ones.

Spike stood up from his table and rushed over to the stage. He practically leapt onto it and swept Buffy up in his arms without a second thought.

“We’re making a scene, you know that, right?” Buffy murmured with a giggle.

“Who gives a fuck?” Spike rasped as he carried Buffy from the stage, to her dressing room.


“I have an announcement to make,” Daniel Osbourne stated evenly, like the professional he truly was.

“Miss Buffy Summers will not be able to finish the show tonight. Something has come up,” he stammered, shooting his Willow a mischievous grin. “Instead,” he continued bravely, “the next set will be delivered by the lovely Miss Tara McClay.”


Buffy felt herself being carried into her dressing room, by Will, no less. She’d never felt so free and happy in her entire life. It was for certain; her William had made his choice and it was ‘her’ with a capitol ‘B’ for Buffy.

Spike kicked the dressing room door shut and spun Buffy around, slamming her up against it. He pressed his body into hers and gazed into her green eyes.

“I am done with Angel O’Connor, Princess,” he mumbled between the hot, passionate kisses he lathered on Buffy’s face and mouth. “I’m finished with being his lackey and his minion, sweetheart,” he rasped.

“Me too!” Buffy squealed as William pushed her dress bottom up and ripped her knickers off.

Before she could gather her thoughts, Will had pulled his pants down and thrust his cock into her. That was okay though, since she had been wet for him the moment she’d seen him sitting at the front most table of the club.


A/N: Okay, not one of my best, I’ll admit. I hope people will continue to read this and review.

Thanks, spufette.
Chapter 16: 'Heavenly Interlude Before Hellish Angst' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you for reading this and for the reviews.
This story is going on longer then I had planned, but it will be finished soon.
Chapter 16: ‘Heavenly Interlude Before Hellish Angst’


Summary: Spike and Buffy continue their ‘make-up’ fun. (That’s about it!)


A/N: This is just a kind of bridge chapter before more angst and trouble in the lives of Spike/Buffy and Dawn.


“Well, that was certainly a first for my dressing room,” Buffy giggled wickedly. She was languidly stretched out over the couch in William’s living room and naked as the day she was born.

“It better have been; and it’ll be the last for your dressing room, right Princess?” Spike growled in Buffy’s ear. He was stretched out, behind her, her lithe body pressed up against his, which was naked too by the way.

“Yes, Will,” Buffy sighed in genuine contentment. “That’s the last time I’ll be shagging as you call it, in my dressing room. Especially since I no longer work at Heaven’s Haven,” she chuckled, sounding almost relieved.

Buffy had quit Heaven’s Haven, just a couple of hours before this. Since Angel was out of town, she had to give notice to his front man, Andrew Tucker. If Andrew was surprised, he didn’t show it; just nodded and told Buffy he would call Angel in a day or two, in Chicago and let him know.

After thanking Andrew and hugging Willow and Tara, Buffy left the Haven on William’s arm.

“I’m glad to see the last of that dump,” Spike muttered as he led Buffy to his car.

“Me too, really, Will,” Buffy sighed. “However, when Angel finds out…..”

“Fuck Angel,” Spike retorted in disgust. “No, strike that,” he continued quickly, “Angel can burn in hell for all I care. We’re threw with him, Buffy, for good. He can rot out in Chicago for all I give a flying…..”

“You know, it’s a good thing Dawn is spending the night at Johnathan and Amys’s,” Buffy tsked. “Your language is just awful Will and I’m not sure this is a good thing for Dawn to hear. Much less any of ‘our’ future children,” she finished with a coy smirk.

“Now, that’s what I want to hear from my lady,” William mumbled in his raspy, husky voice. “My girl plottin’ out our future, all nice and tidy…..”

“Besides,” he smiled knowingly, “the Bit’s havin’ the time of her life at Johnathan’s. With those three tots of his to keep her busy? She probably won’t want to come back to you, sweet and…..”

“Oh, I hope she does,” Buffy sulked, her lower lip stuck out in a little pout.

“She loves you, you know?” Spike whispered into Buffy’s ear again. He was delighted when she rewarded him with a huge, bright smile.

“I love her,” Buffy murmured sincerely, placated, momentarily.

“Hey,” Spike mumbled with his own pout, “how about me? Do you love me, my goddess?”

“Always,” Buffy giggled warmly, tweaking Will’s rump, gently, with her fingers.

“You better,” he growled roughly, but ruined the whole tough guy act when he pouted again. Before she could reply, he clasped her pretty little bum with his hands and gave it a nice, hearty squeeze.

Spike buried his mouth into Buffy’s warm neck and began to suck on the tender skin there, gently. He pulled her body even closer to his and ran his left hand down her arm to her hipbone. “Oh, what’s this then,” he chuckled softly as he slipped his left hand over her bare cunny.

“You know full well what ‘this’ is William,” Buffy chirped, then giggled saucily. “It’s my pussy, Will; or wait, what do you call it? That’s right,” she giggled wickedly, “my cunny?”

“Right!” Spike growled lustily, flipping Buffy over onto her back. He then straddled her tiny body with his. “Except you got one thing wrong, Princess,” he murmured into her ear. “It’s ‘my’ cunny too,” he hissed just before he thrust his cock deep within ‘their’ cunny.


‘Flashback to earlier that evening…..’


“The other employees are going to start worrying about me you know?” Buffy panted into William’s ear. She was, at the moment, straddling her lover’s naked body. Her lover was, at the moment, sitting on her dressing room couch.

“Who gives a fuck?” Spike gasped loudly as Buffy did that thing ‘she did’ so well with her cunny muscles. Buffy could squeeze the hell, in a good way, out of Spike’s cock when he was inside her wet, delicious little hot box. It was just one of the wonderful things he loved about his girl.

After they’d had their make up sex, up against the dressing room wall, Spike and Buffy had somehow stumbled back onto the couch. It had been nearly and hour since Spike had swept Buffy off the stage and carried her into the dressing room. Nearly forty minutes since they’d made up against the wall and landed on the couch, only breaking apart long enough to strip each other of clothing.

“I don’t want ‘them’ to think less of me Will,” Buffy pouted as she rode him for all he was worth. “I mean,” she continued in a breathy tone, “they must know we’re not ‘talking’ things over in here and all. I just don’t want them to think that I’m a slut, I guess.”

“They better not think you’re a slut, Buffy my sweet. There’s nothing slutty about you, kitten. You are a woman in love, sweet,” Spike growled again. “Which works out rather nicely since I love you more then life itself…uhhh, oh fuck yeah,” he moaned in pleasure when Buffy did that muscle move just then. “Just like that,” he purred in delight, clasping her back tightly and digging his fingers into her soft, silky skin.

He crashed his lips onto hers and kissed her deeply, practically swallowing her tongue in the process. “You’re quitting this dump, tonight,” he ordered in a muffled voice.

“I suppose I am,” she replied in an equally muffled voice.








“Shush,” Buffy giggled, scooting over next to her lover in the front seat of his car. She placed her finger over his lovely mouth and pouted at him, coyly. “Angel can’t hurt us anymore, Will,” she purred, taking her finger from his mouth and replacing it with her own lips.

“Mmmm, bloody amazing you are my sweet,” Spike murmured between kisses.

Buffy leaned back against the seat and Spike started the car. “Let’s get home, Will,” she whispered silkily in his right ear. “I can’t wait to the loft and finish what we started back there.”

Spike sped off down Main Street, grinning like a loon. Everything was finally going right for him; Buffy was here, next to him as she should be and he was finally breaking free of Angel O’Connor.


‘End flashback……’


Spike woke up first to find Buffy snuggled into his arms and both of them on the floor of his apartment. The first rays of sunlight were just filtering through the huge living room window.

Sometime during the night, Spike had roused himself out of his sated sleep. He had covered both of them with a throw blanket and then flopped back down next to Buffy on carpet. After taking her in his arms again, he cuddled her to him and fell right back to sleep, never waking her.


“Morning, Will,” Buffy whispered almost shyly to her wide awake companion on the floor next to her. She cuddled into him and rested her head on his warm chest.

“Morning baby,” he murmured warmly before he kissed her forehead tenderly.

“I guess we missed the bed again, huh?” Buffy asked bashfully, embarrassed when a warm little blush crept up her neck to her flushed face. She smiled, slightly, despite her obvious sudden shyness with him.

“That we did, sweetheart,” Spike chuckled lewdly, unable to resist slapping Buffy’s lush little bottom with his left hand, gently of course.

Spike loved Buffy so much, especially when she got a little shy and almost virginal about their lovemaking. It was just one of the things that had always endeared her to him even more.

They lay, snuggled together so tightly that it was hard to see where one began and the other ended. Buffy stared up at the ceiling of the apartment, deep in thought, while Spike just lay in her embrace, watching her intently.

“I told Dawn, the truth, or most of it anyway,” Buffy murmured, her gaze still focused on the ceiling. “The little doll knows her daddy isn’t coming back for her,” she whispered with a just a tinge of sorrow.

“I know,” Spike sighed in response, “Dawn told me, on the way to Johnathan’s house. “You didn’t tell her the whole facts, eh? About how her dad is dead? I could tell that, pet, by the way the Bit talked. She seems, well, almost relieved by it, yeah?”

“I guess,” Buffy sighed deeply, “at least she seems almost okay with it. I’m sorry, Will,” she continued, her tone wracked with regret. “I was just too much of a coward to tell Dawnie everything, the whole truth about her father.”

“Not a coward, darling,” Spike muttered, nuzzling her neck. “You were just being compassionate and unsure as to how to tell her. Remember, how it was when your mum died,” he asked her carefully.

“I remember how it was when my folks passed on,” he continued with a bitter frown. “The cops came to the door and told our babysitter who abruptly spilled the whole story to Drusilla and me. There’s nothing noble in being cruelly honest, sweetling. Not when it’s involving death and loved one.” “

We’ll tell the Bit, soon as possible, the whole truth. But, we have to be together when we do, luv. We have to tell the poor kid the truth together and as gently as possible. Don’t you think?” He ran his hand down her arm and brought her own hand up to his lips, kissing it tenderly.

“You are right, I know,” Buffy sighed and shook her head. “It’s just that I don’t know what we’re going to do about Dawn. You know, after we tell her. According her, Dawn has no one else in the world, except her dad. She has no other family, Will,” Buffy whimpered softly into his neck.

“That’s where she’s wrong, sweetheart,” Spike murmured softly in Buffy’s ear. “The Bit has us, doesn’t she?” He gazed into Buffy’s bright, emerald eyes with his. “We’ll help her, won’t we Buffy,” he asked sincerely, searching her face for the answer he was hoping for.

“Dawnie does have us, Will darling,” she replied, placing a tender kiss on his warm neck. “We will help her, baby,” she added with determination. “Even if everyone and everything stands against us? We’ll help Dawn, even it means facing down the demon hounds of hell to do it.”


A/N: Well, this isn’t near the end, I’m afraid. I meant, originally, to finish this story in about 15 chapters, but……

Next chapter, Spike and Buffy try to tell Dawn the whole truth, but will they get the chance? Angel shows up, pissed off because someone (or more then just someone) has made a call to him in Chicago. Spike and Buffy may be in danger, but then again, it may be Dawn that pays the ultimate price.

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.
Chapter 17: 'Kiss The Cook!' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you for reading this. Two, maybe three more chapters ahead.
Chapter 17: ‘Kiss The Cook!’


Summary: Spike cooks lunch? Buffy and Dawn chat and a party is planned. Spike and Buffy give Peaches his walking papers.


“So you and Mr. Spike are back together?” Dawn Merrick asked Buffy with a hopeful smile.

“That we are sweetie,” Buffy murmured as she brushed the child’s unruly dark hair. “I guess that William and I are just meant to be,” Buffy continued with a contented sigh.

“I’m glad,” Dawn blurted out matter-of-factly. “Sir Spike has won the heart of his lady love! Again,” the child giggled mischievously.

They, Buffy and Dawn, were sitting in Spike’s guest room, chatting away about just everything under the sun. Spike himself was in the kitchen, supposedly cooking something up for lunch.

“When do you know its true love Buffy?” Dawn asked wistfully. “When is it exactly the second you know it’s the real, real forever kind of love?” The small girl’s blue eyes were wide with serious question.

“Well honey,” Buffy began carefully laying down the silver handled brush and hugging Dawnie tightly. “I guess you just know, deep inside of your heart that is. I mean when it’s truly real forever love.” She smiled affectionately at the little pixie of a girl in her arms.

“Do you think I’ll ever find that kind of love, Buffy?” Dawn asked softly, her brows scrunched in thought.

“Oh, sweetie,” Buffy chuckled warmly, “you have years to go before you need to worry about that. But,” she hesitated then continued, “I’m sure when you find Mr. Right; that you’ll both know it, right off!”

“Oh, good,” Dawn sighed dreamily. This caused Buffy to burst out into laughter and tweak the younger girl’s pink cheek, tenderly.

“You shouldn’t be so worried about boyfriends and such, not at your tender age Dawnie!” Buffy chided her affectionately. “Why I was almost sixteen when I got my first kiss and…..” she let her sentence trail off weakly.

‘Oh, that’s right,’ Buffy chided herself this time, ‘go ahead and blurt out that nasty piece of business from your past.’

Instead, Buffy smiled at Dawnie and patted her little shoulder lovingly. “You just be sure that any guy who wins your heart is good enough for ‘you’ Miss Dawn,” Buffy murmured as she placed a little kiss on the top of the girl’s soft head.

“I will Buffy,” Dawn replied somberly, nodding her head. “I promise I will,” she added quickly with another grin.

“Hey,” Spike called from the bedroom doorway, “lunch is on the table ladies. I’ve slaved away for a bloody hour in the kitchen so get yourselves in here and eat before it gets cold!”

Spike grinned at Dawn and winked at Buffy before he disappeared from the doorway.

“We’d better go then,” Buffy giggled girlishly. “William is a man who is definitely less then patient.” She took Dawn’s little hand in hers and led her out of the guest room, into the huge kitchen.

“I didn’t know you could cook so good Mr. Spike,” Dawn mumbled as she chewed on the delicious ham sandwich.

“That’s ‘so well’ honey,” Buffy corrected the child’s grammar. Not that she, Buffy Summers was some kind of English major, but…..

“I can do a lot of things well, Bit,” Spike interjected with a wicked grin at Buffy.

“Yeah, like cook up a great vegetable soup,” Buffy laughed in reply. “So good, in fact,” she added saucily, “that I think I’ll just kiss the cook!”

Spike smiled, delightedly, when Buffy leaned over and kissed him on his mouth, tenderly.

“Just wait until I reward you for desert!” Buffy whispered to William coyly.


“It is good,” Dawn added as she sipped the warm liquid and smiled in contentment. “Mama used to make this kind,” she finished wistfully.

Buffy shot Spike a nervous look at Dawn’s remark. He frowned back at her and sighed, “Finish up, Bit, before it gets cold.”

The trio ate in silence for a moment or two before Buffy piped up, “so Will, just a couple of weeks until your birthday. What shall we do to celebrate? What do you think Dawnie,” she asked the young girl brightly.

“Don’t know,” Dawn replied with a shrug of her little shoulders. The six-year-old had suddenly become much less chipper and this made both Buffy and Spike very anxious indeed.

“What’s wrong sweetie?” Buffy asked carefully, setting her soup spoon down on the kitchen table.

“Nothin’ at all,” Dawn muttered with a scowl and continued to sip her cooling soup.

“Somethin’s off, Bit,” Spike offered as he set his own half finished sandwich on the plate before him. “You’ve clammed up like, well a clam. What’s goin’ on in that head of yours?”


“I said nothin’ was wrong,” Dawn hissed even as she slammed her spoon down on the table. She tried to stand up and bolt from the table, but Spike caught her arm and held fast.

“Sit down Bit,” he ordered evenly. “You’ll tell Buffy and me just what’s botherin’ you and you’ll tell us now. Understood?”

Dawn reluctantly sat back down on the chair and focused on her bowl of vegetable soup. The youngster glared at Spike, then Buffy, and then burst out into tears.

“I,” Dawn blubbered incoherently, “I had a birthday, just a month or so ago. Daddy, he forgot it and I didn’t get anything at all for my special day.”

“Oh honey,” Buffy whimpered sympathetically.

“Oh bloody hell,” Spike muttered under his breath.

‘What a loser her old man was,’ Spike grumbled to himself. ‘Couldn’t even remember the Bit’s day and get her anything.’

For the first time since Dawn had come into either of Buffy or Spike’s life, both of them felt a sense of relief. Relief that the insensitive, inconsiderate Ted Merrick would no longer be around to hurt Dawn.

“I’m sure your daddy meant to give you a special party or something,” Buffy offered weakly. “He probably was just so busy trying to…..” she couldn’t finish the sentence. She just stared at William with a pleading look in her damp green eyes.

Spike sat for a moment and pondered the situation. Even at their sternest and poorest, the Jamesons had given ‘him’ a special gift or something for ‘his’ birthday. Buffy and him just had to think of something to make up for Dawn’s past disappointments; but what?

“I know!” Buffy exclaimed suddenly. “We can give you a belated birthday party Dawnie!” She nearly leapt from her seat in excitement and threw her arms about the young child eagerly.

“What’s belated mean?” Dawn choked out through her tears.

“It means a little late; but better late then never Bit,” Spike answered for Buffy. “And it’s a hell of an idea, baby!” He smiled lovingly at his Buffy.

“We can make it a King Arthur and Knights of the Round Table themed party!” Buffy continued excitedly taking the ball and running with it. “We’ll have it at the ‘track’ so The Charger can attend!”

“Yeah,” Spike jumped in eagerly. “We’ll invite the guys and all to attend.”

“Rupert the Magician and Sir Xander the ‘White Knight’ can come and bring their lady loves!” Buffy added with a giggle. “I know Anya would love to whip up some princess costumes for the girls! I don’t suppose Xander, Rupert, Riley and the ‘boys’ could be persuaded to dress in…..”

“Uh, no,” Spike finished Buffy’s question before she could. “Me and the guys will not wear tights and the like, sweet, sorry,” he added firmly with a quick glare at Buffy.

“That’s okay, Mr. Spike,” Dawn chimed in happily. “As long as Lady Buffy, Anya and I are all dressed up? It’s okay,” she crowed gleefully.

“I bet Riley could get Faith to attend and I’ll ask Willow and Oz, along with Tara McClay to show up,” Buffy offered. “I haven’t seen good old Faith in ages,” she added wistfully.

“Do you think they’ll all attend?” Dawn asked hopefully with wide blue eyes.

“I know they will,” Buffy answered her. “Won’t they Sir Spike?” She grinned at her lover coyly.

“Oh, they will,” Spike replied with a smirk. “I can promise you that,” he finished with a satisfied smile.

Just then Spike’s phone rang shrilly and he reluctantly stood up to answer it.

“Yeah,” he greeted the person on the other end.

“Angelus?” William muttered as he glanced at Buffy nervously.

“Hello Willie,” Angel growled harshly. “Got any news for me?”

‘Oh, shit,’ Spike thought, ‘words through the grapevine and Peaches knows about Buffy. The great poofter never calls me Willie unless he’s pissed off at me.’

“What do you want Angelus,” Spike asked gruffly.

“My girl for starters, boy,” Angel replied angrily. “I’ve heard that Buffy’s been keepin’ time with you and I’m willing to bet she’s there, at your place right now. Right?”

“Well, yeah, as a matter of fact Buffy is here with me and the Bit right now ‘Liam’ but I’m more then happy to tell you that it’s none of your bloody business anymore so fu….” Spike’s sentence was cut off by Buffy who grabbed the phone from him.

“I’ll handle this,” Buffy purred silkily to William as she blew him a saucy little kiss. She placed the receiver of the phone to her ear and mouth and without a breath began to rant at Angel.

“Listen Angel,” Buffy began evenly, “I wanted to do ‘this’ in an adult, ladylike manner but as usual, you’ve jumped the gun and forced my hand. Don’t say a word; just listen,” she continued roughly.

“We’re, as in you and I are done; finished; kaput, Angel. As in completely over and done with. I’m back with William, for good. Right baby?” Buffy paused and smiled at Will sweetly.

“Too right Princess,” Spike chuckled in reply, quite loud enough for Angel to hear at the other end of the phone line.

He reached over and wrapped his arm around Buffy, lovingly, and pulled her to him. “Go on, baby,” he encouraged, “let the wanker have it good!”

“You’ve caused enough havoc in Dawn Merrick’s life and mine,” Buffy continued without missing a beat. “I quit the club, although I’m betting that this isn’t news to you. Maggie must have called you the minute I let her go from my employ,” she hissed. “I should have known ‘she’ was reporting to you, everything that is. Oh, I think Will has something to tell you, too,” she finished with a smirk.

“Will? Do you have something to tell Angel? Now would probably be the time, eh?” Buffy grinned evilly at Will who took the phone from her, gently.

“Angelus? I quit,” Spike stated simply. “Buffy is back with me now and neither of us ever wants to see your ugly mug again. By the way, Peaches. Fuck off!” He grunted smugly.”

Spike slammed the phone down and pulled Buffy even closer to his body. He placed a rough, possessive kiss on her forehead, then her lips.


“That felt bloody great Princess,” Spike mumbled into Buffy’s sweet little mouth.

“That it did baby,” Buffy giggled in response.

“I love you,” Spike whispered, peppering little kisses on Buffy’s cheeks and lips.

“I love you,” Buffy sighed as she returned his kisses.

“As soon as you two are finished playing kissy face? Can we finish planning my party?” Dawn squealed from the kitchen door.


A/N: I have tried so hard to finish up this fiction and I hope you’ll read and review. It isn’t over yet, however, because of course there’s the party and oh yeah, there’s Angel! He isn’t going to let this one go easily now is he?

There is maybe a couple of more chapters and perhaps an epilogue. I wanted to get the other characters into the story again so therefore there will be a chapter devoted to Dawn’s party. Unfortunately something sad just might happen at the party that will cause Spike and Buffy a lot of pain and sorrow.

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.
Chapter 18: 'Lady Guinevere's Party' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Long time no update; I hope you read and enjoy.
Thanks.
Chapter 18: ‘Lady Guinevere’s Party’


A/N: I’m trying to finish this story up as soon as possible so I can devote my time to my other fics.


Summary: It is Dawn’s belated birthday party and it has a definite Camelot theme. Dawn is Lady Guinevere; Buffy and Spike are well, Lady Buffy and Sir Spike and the others are characters from Camelot also. You’ll never guess who King Arthur is!


The morning of Dawn’s belated birthday party dawned clear, sunny and beautiful, even by New York City standards. Buffy and Spike had planned the little gala to take place at the horse track stables so The Charger could attend. This is what Dawn wanted and this was exactly what she would get for ‘her’ day.

In the last few days, since Buffy had informed Angel that she was no longer ‘with’ him? Buffy had taken to staying at William’s place, after letting her housekeeper, Margaret go. She had, of course, given her longtime housekeeper good references and compensated her financially.

Spike had balked at the thought of Buffy being so kind to her ex-housekeeper. He could never stand the snobby bint, Margaret, and suspected she was little more then a lackey for Angelus. It no longer mattered, however, since Buffy had not only basically fired her help, but had put out the word that she was sub-letting her apartment.

His ‘girls’ were now securely deposited in his apartment, where they belonged, and Spike was happier then he’d been in years.

Although Buffy had been skittish at first, regarding her living with Spike, he soon (it took about all of an hour) convinced her that her place was with him. Of course, Dawn had been thrilled with the thought of her surrogate family being all together, so there was need to ‘explain’ things away to the six-year-old girl.

Dawn stayed in the guest room and never questioned her new found guardians’ sleeping arrangements. This relieved Buffy of any guilt about living in sin with William and a true sense of family that she had always yearned for.

“Are Xander and Riley going to be at my party?” Dawn suddenly asked Buffy with hopeful blue eyes.

“Now you know they are, honey,” Buffy chuckled softly in reply. “After all Anya, Xander’s girl, made all our outfits and Riley made sure to ask his wife Faith. A lot of people will be at the party like; Willow and her boyfriend Daniel; Mitch and Lars and they’re bringing along some dates I believe. Oh, even my old friend Cordelia promised to stop by and bring her husband, Officer Wilkens. You remember him; we met him a couple of times, right?”

“I remember!” Dawn cried in excitement. “I’m so glad The Charger can be there Buffy! Thank you and Mr. Spike too for having my party so soon!”

“No problem, Little Doll, believe me,” Buffy murmured happily as she straightened Dawn’s princess costume.

Buffy had gone to the local bakery, just down the street from William’s apartment, and meticulously picked out Dawn’s birthday cake. The cake, which was two-tiers of beautiful confection, was frosted with pale pink icing. ‘Happy Birthday Bit’ was written out in white confectioner’s sugar, across the top of the cake.

Spike had insisted that they use his term of endearment for Dawn on the cake and Buffy had complied. It made her smile to think of how quickly the little six-year-old girl had conquered both William’s and her heart, so completely.

She realized, Buffy did, that it was probably Dawn that had brought Will and her back together again. For that, Buffy would be forever grateful to the child. If things worked out, completely, then Buffy would be able to raise Dawn as her own; at least that was the plan.

Buffy wore a medieval gown of emerald green silk, to match her eyes. Willow was to wear a pale yellow dress, while Anya chose a sapphire blue for herself. Supposedly, Faith had balked at the idea of dressing up as a lady-in-waiting and would be attired in a simple street dress. Of course, Mitch and Lar’s female guests would be attired in the same manner as Faith, only probably a bit more subdued.

Buffy and the other female guests had not been so successful in convincing their guys to wear appropriate theme costumes. So, Spike, Xander and the rest of the boys would be wearing suits and ties; their usual daily wear.

She had not seen Cordelia or Faith in so long and Buffy smiled at the thought of catching up with them again. Even if it was at a child’s birthday party.

When Spike and Buffy had planned the party, they had worried about the lack of children who would be attending. Xander had come through, in the end, by mentioning his brother’s only son, Connor, who was now nine-years-old. Connor would make a perfect companion for Dawn during the party and Buffy welcomed the boy with open arms.

Once they arrived at the track, Spike spirited Buffy and Dawn into the little café that he frequented while there. The cafe had been transformed into a beautiful fairy-tale scene. Pink and gold streamers were strung everywhere while pink and yellow roses and carnations decorated every table in the place. A ‘Happy Birthday Dawn’ banner; the words printed in pink and gold too, hung over a massive table. The table was covered with a pink tablecloth and gold glitter was sprinkled here and there on it.

“Oh, Buffy! Mr. Spike! It’s simply beautiful!” Dawn squealed in delightful glee at the transformation of the track’s simple café.

“Glad you like it, Bit,” Spike chuckled and beamed proudly. “Nothin’ too good for my girls,” he added smugly as he gave Buffy a hug and kiss.

“Daniel and Willow are bringing lunch, from Katz’ Deli, Dawnie,” Buffy gushed. “Sandwiches and potatoe salad with pickles! Beer for the guys and sodas for us dolls,” she added happily. “We’ll have a bite to eat, then open presents, then there’s cake and…..”

“Anybody here,” came Willow’s airy voice from the café door. The red head scurried into the room, carrying a huge brightly wrapped box. Behind her, a short, also red headed male, followed closely. The man, Daniel, carried a huge deli box of obvious eats and deposited them on the pink cloth covered table.

“This should feed an army,” Daniel huffed, a bit winded by his load. “Hey there,” he leaned down to look Dawn in the eyes. “I’m Daniel Osbourne, Willow’s fella. You must be Dawn huh?”

“I am,” Dawn replied in an awe-like tone. It was obvious that the young girl had an immediate crush on the small, wiry red haired musician.

“Happy birthday Dawn,” Willow squealed girlishly. “I can’t wait until you open our present to you and…..”

“I thought we’d wait for the others and eat first, Wills,” Buffy interjected.

“Sure Buff,” Willow replied sheepishly, “I’m just so excited about the gift we bought Dawn and……”

Daniel shushed his fiancé and grinned at the birthday girl. “Have you ridden The Charger yet today kid,” he asked quickly changing the present subject.

“No,” Dawn drawled wistfully. “Buffy says I have to wait until later, after the party,” she finished seriously.

“But I think I ‘will’ call you Sir Daniel. It fits you,” Dawn smiled at Willow’s lithe boyfriend affectionately.

“Okay then,” Riley Finn bellowed from the door of the café. “Where’s the birthday brat?” He laughed heartily as he carried a huge brightly wrapped box into the room.

“Hey, pregnant woman here,” came a deep, husky female voice right behind him. Obviously, this was Riley’s pregnant wife, Faith, who followed her husband into the café. Actually, she really seemed to waddle after him.

“You could walk behind me,” Faith spat at her errant husband, impatiently. “I’m the one having the kid,” she grumbled. The dark-haired woman quit her bitching when she spied Buffy.

“B!” Faith exclaimed happily even as she threw herself into Buffy’s waiting arms. “It’s so good to see you B!”

“About damned time you and Spike made with the nice again,” Faith whispered into Buffy’s ear.

“Is that tears I see,” Buffy whispered in a shaky voice. “Tears in the brown eyes of the toughest gal in town?”

“Sure are,” Faith mumbled tearfully. “Hey, I’m pregnant; of course I’m emotional and……”

“All’s my girl could talk about was seeing her ‘B’ again,” Riley admitted with chuckle. “Buffy this; Buffy that; is all my wife could manage for the past two days.”

“I am glad,” Buffy murmured softly, clutching her one-time friend to her body.

“Me too,” Faith sobbed in response.

“I think this is getting way too mushy in here,” Daniel Osbourne groused.

“Is not,” Willow retorted.

“It is and…..” Daniel was cut off by Xander and Anya who slipped into the room.

“Hey everybody, this is my nephew, Connor Harris,” Xander chortled proudly, pointing to a good-looking kid who appeared to be about nine or so.

“Hi,” Connor mumbled shyly, his attention on the pretty little girl, who was presumably the birthday girl.

“Hi,” Dawn gushed, anything but shyly.

“So,” Dawn prattled on, “your uncle is Sir Belvidere, the steadfast knight of Arthur’s Round Table?”

“Huh?” Connor asked in confusion.

“Too bad, that later, Sir Belvidere loses an arm and….” Dawn began to ramble on, when Buffy intruded, politely.

“Dawnie is enraptured with King Arthur and Knights of the Round Table, Connor,” Buffy offered. “She has nicknames, for all of the guests today, from the stories about Arthur.”

“Oh,” Connor grunted, still a little lost at the conversation.

“Wanna’ go out and see my horse?” Dawn asked eagerly of the only other child guest.

“Now wait a minute, Bit,” Spike interrupted the plan quickly. “You need to be here when all of your guests arrive.”

“Okay Mr. Spike, or should I make that Sir Spike,” Dawn giggled mischievously.

“Do you like the gowns I made?” Anya asked somberly. “If you don’t like them, I think I should…..”

“She loves them, right Dawnie?” Buffy nodded at the young girl.

“Of course,” Dawn replied honestly. “Buffy’s dress is prettiest,” the child stated matter-of-factly. “The emerald green matches Buffy’s beautiful eyes,” she finished by crossing her little arms in front of her.

“I think my dress is best,” Anya countered firmly. “There’s not prettier color then blue, in any shade. Besides, Buffy chose the pink for you and the pale yellow for Willow. Why Faith Finn couldn’t have worn a dress in some color is behind me. Unless it’s because nothing can hide the hugeness that is Faith and…..”

“Now wait just a minute there, girlie,” Faith snorted; her tone suddenly terse and nearly angry.

“I think we should have some food,” Dawn offered. The young girl had a knack for averting arguments and trouble; so it seemed.

“I think you’re right,” Buffy agreed quickly. “Let’s give Mitch and Lars just a moment longer to arrive,” she added.

“Yes,” Dawn sighed dramatically, “we need Sir Percivale and Sir Bors with us, before we begin the feast.”

“Oh, brother,” Buffy rolled her eyes at William, who grinned back at her.

“So, who am I, Bit,” Spike asked Dawn with a slight smirk.

“You are Sir Spike,” Dawn answered, a look of determination on her pixie face. “There is not knight, even of the Round Table, who can rival you, Honorable Knight.”

Spike blushed, especially when Xander burst out into laughter and Riley snorted in disbelief.

“Sir Gawain doesn’t believe me,” Dawn cried, quite put out by this. “He thinks that…..”

“We’re here,” Mitch roared from the front door. He carried a small, interesting looking gift in his big hands while a non-descript, but lively looking brunette woman stumbled along side him.

“This is Amy McFee,” Mitch grunted to everyone in general, pointing at his date. “Where’s the food,” he added in a deep voice.

“That’s for later,” Buffy quipped, trying not to laugh when Amy slapped at Mitch.

“That’s rude, Mitchie,” Amy whined in disgust. “We eat when we eat,” she mumbled, coyly smiling at Buffy.

“Where’s Lars,” Spike asked gruffly, a little put off by the bloody gall of his men. They knew to be on their best behavior for this bloody soiree and here Mitch acts like a barbarian. God only knew what kind of loud, trollop of a bint Lars would drag in here.

Lars answered the question by strolling into the café, a blowsy looking red-head on his arm. “This is Mildred,” Lars announced anxiously. The tall blond man glanced at his boss, Spike, looking for some kind of approval here.

Spike just rolled his eyes and tried to bite back a snarky remark to his friend and employee. Mitch’s date was bad enough but this bint that Lars had dragged in here looked as if she was right off of
5th Street and that wasn’t saying much. Spike was more then pissed at this. His Buffy and Dawn didn’t need to be around this kind of trash; nor did Willow, Anya or Faith for that matter.

Just as Spike began to say something, Buffy saved the moment by rushing up to the two strange women and making over them.

‘Christ, they ain’t the Queens of England,’ Spike thought to himself. The sight of his beautiful lady, Buffy, trying to make nice with the riffraff did Spike’s heart good though.

‘She’s gonna’ make a great mum,’ he thought proudly as he beamed at Buffy lovingly.

The sudden appearance of Rupert Giles and his lady, Jennifer, saved a tense moment.

“What’s that knight’s name?” Connor whispered to Dawn as he eyed the formidable older man.

“Not a knight,” Dawn grunted. “That’s Merlin the Magician and his lady love, Morganna,” she continued reverently. “He is Sir Spike’s most valued friend, even more then Sir Belvedere,” she finished with wide-eyed somberness.

“Oh,” Connor drawled in awe.

“Okay, Dawn,” Connor began cautiously. “If you are Lady Guinevere; Buffy is Sir Spike’s lady and so on? Then who for Pete’s sake is Arthur?”

Dawn hesitated for moment before grinning at her new best friend.

“Why, you are Connor,” she giggled wickedly.

After they ate their lunch, Dawn could not be dissuaded from opening her huge pile of presents.

“When are Officer Wilkens and his wife getting here,” Dawn asked innocently while she eyed Willow and Daniel’s gift to her.

“They’ll be here later,” Buffy replied. “Go ahead, honey, open a present,” she urged the child eagerly.

Dawn ripped open the bright pink paper on the huge gift from Willow and Daniel. She tore open the light box and pulled out the most beautiful doll she had ever seen.

“Oh! It’s wonderful!” Dawn squealed in delight, hugging the three foot long dollie to herself. The doll was adorned in a pink taffeta dress and had dark brown locks that had been sculpted into curls. Dawn had never ever had such a dollie in her life.

“Thank you, Sir Daniel and Lady Willow,” Dawn giggled happily, reaching for another gift.

“That’s from Xander and me,” Anya stated evenly. “I hope you like it. It cost us a pretty penny and you need to take good care of it. It’s…..”

“Anya!” Xander groaned in embarrassment. “Let the kid open her present!”

Anya pouted at Xander then grinned at Dawn in a patronizing manner. Especially when the birthday girl opened her gift and found an exquisite fox fur hat and matching hand muff wrapped in pink tissue paper.

“Oh, Anya, Sir Belvidere,” Dawn sighed, awe struck. “They’re beautiful,” she gasped sincerely.

“Better then Willow and Danny’s doll?” Anya asked eagerly, giving the red-headed waitress a smug look.

“I love them all the same,” Dawn whispered tactfully as she placed the hat on her head and the muff on her right arm and hand.

After opening the various other gifts; a huge, intricate picture book about Arthur and Camelot from Jenny and Giles. A porcelain tea set from Riley and Faith; a pretty dress and matching cape from Mitch and Lars; Dawn scanned the dining room for her most special gift. The one from Sir Spike and Lady Buffy.

Buffy scooted over closer to Dawn and put her right arm about the child’s slim shoulders. “Close your eyes, Doll,” she whispered softly in the girl's ear.

Dawn did as she was told and counted to ten as she waited for Spike to bring her present to her.

When she opened her eyes, Dawn was staring at a plain, brown cardboard box with some random holes punched into it. There was a big pink tie and bow around the package and the box itself seemed to be moving.

Dawn, wide-eyed and confused, reached out to take the box from Spike, who just grinned at her warmly.

“Go on, honey,” Buffy urged the girl, “open it.”

She couldn’t be sure, but Dawn could swear she heard the sound of scuffling feet and maybe a yip or two come from the box.

Hurridly, Dawn untied the bow and pulled the top of the box up and open. Before she could focus on the contents, a soft, squirmy ball of fur popped up from the box and into her arms.

“A puppy!” Dawn screamed in delight. “An honest to goodness puppy!” She repeated in disbelief.

The ‘puppy’ was an honest to goodness full blooded Cocker Spaniel, but Dawn was too excited to notice that. She was overwhelmed with joy by the animated ball of fur that now filled her arms and licked her face.

“Is it truly mine?” Dawn asked both Spike and Buffy simultaneously. “Can I keep him?”

“Of course,” Buffy giggled, delighted that her and Will’s gift was such a hit with the child.

“Oh, he’s the dearest thing,” Dawn whimpered, rubbing her nose against the puppy’s little head. “But,” she suddenly frowned slightly, “what if we can’t keep him at Mr. Spike’s?”

The small child looked so forborne that Buffy felt a tender tug at her heart and chimed in, “oh, we can keep him at Mr. Spike’s all right. Can you imagine ‘anyone’ saying no puppy to Mr. Spike, Doll?”

Buffy looked over at William, who was beaming proudly back at her. She knew for a fact, that her man had been out, half the night, to every known pet shop in New York City looking for that special puppy.

No, no one in God’s creation was going to tell Spike Jameson that his ‘daughter’ could not have a puppy in the apartment.

“It’s fine, Bit,” Spike chuckled, all self-important and so very proud of himself. “The puppy is welcome at our place,” he added, winking at Buffy.

“What are you going to name the puppy, Dawn,” Willow asked, nearly as excited as the child herself.

“I think I’ll call him Lancelot,” Dawn stated, her little mouth in a straight, serious line. “Lancelot was the bravest, most daring knight in King Arthur’s court,” she continued. “I think it suits him, don’t you?”


A/N: I cut this chapter in half because it had gone on way too long. The next chapter is going to be angstsy, I promise.

Thank you for reading and please review, spufette.
Chapter 19: 'All's You Have To Do.....' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you for reading this and for the reviews from the last chapters.

There will be one more chapter and then perhaps an epilogue.
I'm going to finish this one, La Cosa Nostra and maybe Heavenly Dreams; then it's a new story to start.
Chapter 19: ‘All’s You Have To Do…..’


Summary: The party is still going on, but someone, uninvited shows up and causes problems.

Angst warning here…


Buffy cut Dawn’s cake, careful not to destroy the beautiful pink roses that adorned the middle. William had gone to collect The Charger, so Dawnie could have a ride around the track for her birthday.

Everything had gone so well and Buffy felt like things were really going to be all right, for once.

“I wonder why Officer Wilkens and his wife, Cordelia, aren’t here yet.” Dawn vocalized Buffy’s very thoughts.

“They’ll be along, Doll. Cordy loves to be fashionably late, you know?” Buffy laughed glibly as she served Dawn the first piece of cake.

Lancelot, the puppy, had grown weary immediately after being ‘unwrapped’ and he lay at his new owner’s feet, blissfully asleep.

“Can Lancelot have a piece of cake?” Connor asked innocently as he eyed the pooped pup.

“Yeah, Buffy, can my puppy have some cake?” Dawn asked with wide blue eyes.

Buffy would always remember the look in her Dawnie’s blue eyes, right at that moment. Dawn was so happy and full of hope, in her pretty pink dress, the wreath of flowers in her dark hair. She would take that picture of the lovely child’s wide blue eyes to her grave; Buffy just knew it.

“I don’t see why not,” Buffy chatted amicably as she sliced enough pieces of cake for all the present guests.

“I want to ride The Charger before I have my cake,” Dawn stated matter-of-factly. “Then I want Connor to have a turn,” she added firmly. “It’s my party and I want my ‘date’ to have a turn on the Charger!”

Connor blushed a bright red at the ‘date’ remark. He then gallantly offered Dawn his right arm as he led her to where The Charger stood waiting for her.

“It’s okay, Bit,” Spike replied from the door of the café. “I’ve got your steed right over there,” he added proudly, pointing to the huge horse that was tied onto the picket fence.

Dawn tossed the uneaten cake onto the table and scurried out to the horse that awaited her. She never looked back as she allowed Tito, the jockey, to lift her onto the great steed’s large back.

“Be careful, Dawnie,” Buffy cried in warning as she nibbled gingerly on her own piece of cake and watched the young girl be led to the track. “And don’t be too long,” Spike added firmly.

Dawn, Tito and The Charger had not been gone long at all when they showed up at the fence again. Spike and Buffy had waited, rather impatiently, for the trio to return to their starting point.

“Thank God,” Buffy sighed in relief when Tito led the horse and rider up to the fence.

“She’s a natural,” Tito gushed happily, beaming up at the little girl. “I bet she could be a professional horsewoman and…..”

The jockey’s praises were cut off by the loud yelling from inside the café. A loud commotion seemed to be coming from the café, where the party guests still lingered.

“What’s that about?” Spike asked out loud with a frown. He began to walk towards the small building when he stopped dead in his tracks.

Angel O’Connor came storming out of the café and towards Spike and Buffy. The huge Irishman had a look of murder in his dark, angry eyes.

“What the fuck is this!” Angel screamed at Spike when he took in the medieval scene before him.

“What the bloody hell are you doing here?” Spike screamed his question at the top of lungs.


“I own that fucking piece of horsemeat,” Angel bellowed in reply as he tried to push past Spike and get to The Charger. “It and half this lousy track!” the big man added viciously.

“Let me guess,” Angel bellowed at the top of his lungs. “This is another harebrained idea of Buffy’s, right?” He pointed an accusing meaty finger at his ex-lover.

“It’s Dawn’s birthday, Angel,” Buffy hissed protectively. “We’re having a party for her. What’s wrong? Can’t stand to see a little girl happy?”


“Get that little brat off ‘my’ horse!” Angel commanded in a state of blind rage. “That horse is due to run in the race, tomorrow, and I’ll be God damned if that little bitch is going to…..”

“Watch your mouth Angelus,” Spike roared, leaping to stop Angel from getting any closer to Dawn and her horse.

Xander and Riley held Spike back as they watched the unfolding drama around them.

“This is ‘my’ horse, Dark Prince,” Dawn snarled at the lumbering Angel. “You stay away from my horse and my friends!” She nearly growled as her blue eyes darted from Angel, to Buffy then to Mr. Spike.

“This is your doing you stupid bitch!” Angel screamed at Buffy, who had somehow come to stand in between him and the horse and rider.

Tito, to his credit, tried to lead the poor horse and little Dawn away from the chaos, as discreetly as possible. However, before Spike could get to Buffy’s side, to help her stop Angel?

“Back off you little piece of shit!” Angel screamed at Spike. “You got my girl, now you want my horse? Not likely!”

“Buffy was never your girl, Peaches,” Spike growled possessively, wrapping his left arm around Buffy’s waist. “She was always mine!”

“Whatever,” Angel hissed. “But the fucking horse ‘is’ mine and I want that little brat off of it! That nag is going to make me some real money, come tomorrow. The Charger’s worth more to me dead; just like the little dame’s father was! I’m not going to lose thousands of bucks because some little no-named brat comes along and…..”

“Angel, no!” Buffy gasped in disbelief. She turned to look up at Dawn, who had no doubt heard the whole ugly poison that her ex had spewed.

Buffy glanced at William, who looked as if he was about to throttle Angel with his bare hands. She then looked back at Dawn who had suddenly become eerily quiet and as pale as a ghost.

“My daddy is dead?” Dawn whispered in horror as the total truth finally became perfectly clear to the child.

“I’ll fucking tear your throat out you bloody bastard!” Spike exclaimed, just before he leapt at Angel and toppled him to the ground.

As Buffy stood, helplessly watching her lover beat the crap out of her ex-lover? Xander, Riley, Giles and the others, even the ladies, stood about and shouted Spike on, to kick Angel’s ass.

“Kick his ass, Spike!” Xander yelped gleefully as he encouraged his boss to win the fight.

Mitch and Lars were already taking bets from the other onlookers as to how quickly Spike would beat the shit out of Angel.

“I’ve got ten bucks on the wiry blond!” A distinguished looking older man grunted as he handed Mitch some bills.

“Twenty on the big fella!” A random jockey who had happened by squealed in excitement.

“A hundred on the boss!” Riley screeched, loyal to the end to Spike.


After about two minutes of Spike smacking down Angel, the larger man turned the tables. Angel flipped Spike over and landed on top of him. His huge hands clenched around Spike’s neck, Angel began to squeeze the life out of his former employee.

“No!” Buffy screamed in terror just before she flung herself onto Angel’s back. “Get the hell off my man!” She screeched as she began to pummel the back of Angel’s head and shoulders with her small fists.

In all of the mayhem; none of the onlookers or participants in the battle paid much heed to Dawn. By this time, the young girl had slipped off of her beloved Charger and watched in horror as the only two people she had left in the world fought the Dark Prince.



Spike began to beat on Angel’s head and chest with fists, mercilessly. It looked as if Spike was winning, when Connor cried out….. “Dawn! She’s headed off Miss Buffy!”

Buffy tore her eyes from her the two tousling men to search the café and patio for her precious Dawnie. She caught sight of the child, just as she ran out of the patio fence and headed to the road that led up to the race track.

“Dawn!” Buffy screamed in terror, momentarily forgetting William, Angel and the grudge match that was going on, on the floor of the café.

Spike swerved his blond head around and watched as Buffy sped out of the café, desperately trying to stop Dawn from running. He punched Angel one more time, just for good measure, then jumped up and followed Buffy out into the street.

When Spike got out to the open street, he heard a screech of car tires and a loud, piercing scream from Buffy, just yards in front of him.

“Oh Jesus!” Spike cried, fearfully, at the horrible sight that met his eyes.

A car, obviously sitting sideways on the street, was stopped dead in its tracks. Larry Wilkens and his wife, Cordelia were scurrying from the inside of the car to join Buffy who was huddled on her knees on the street.

Buffy was rocking to and fro on her knees; cradling Dawn’s still little form in her slim arms. By the time Spike got to his lover and the child, Buffy was wailing mournfully.

Spike dropped to his own knees and wrapped his arms about Buffy, pulling her trembling little body to his. He could see the stream of bright red blood that had begun to pool under Dawn’s neck and head.

“Oh, Will,” Buffy sobbed as she tried to brush Dawn’s dark hair from her bloodied little face. “Make her wake up, Will, please…make her wake up.”

“Oh Holy Jesus,” Larry Wilkens whispered, in a harsh, horrified voice. “The poor little thing ran out of nowhere. She didn’t even look at us, or…..”

“We’ve got to get her to a hospital, Larry,” Cordelia Wilkens mumbled desperately. Both Mr. and Mrs. Wilkens were as pale as corpses by now.

“Will!” Buffy screamed again, “all’s you have to do is make the Little Doll wake up! Please, Will!”


A/N: That’s the real start of the angst. I hope it wasn’t too sappy or anything. The next chapter will probably be the last one; maybe an epilogue.

Thank you for reading this and please review, spufette.
Chapter 20: 'It Is All In The Blood' by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you for reading and reviewing. This is the last real chapter. An epilogue will follow.
LITTLE MISSY THE MARKER


Summary: Spike, Buffy and the gang anxiously wait at the hospital for news on Dawn. Surprises abound when Doctor Benjamen Noxen explains Dawn’s precarious situation to them. A long shot horse may show up at the last moment to save the day. Who will it be?



Chapter 20: ‘It Is Always In The Blood’


“Make her wake up! Please, Will, make her wake up!” Buffy wailed again as she cradled Dawn’s sweet head in her arms. She ignored the spreading pool of blood that now spilled down from Dawn’s neck or head, matting her dark hair together.

“Buffy, honey,” Cordelia rasped. “We need to get the little girl to the hospital. Larry, Spike, pick Dawn up, gently and carry her to the car. I’ll drive her to the hospital; Buffy and Spike should ride with us.”

Buffy was in a daze as she just kept chanting ‘wake her up’ and ‘her pretty pink dress; it’s all dirty now.’ Cordelia Wilkens could tell that trying to ‘reason’ with Buffy was hopeless.

“Spike!” Cordelia shouted, waking the blond man from his horrified stupor. “Get that child in our car and let’s get her to a hospital!”

Spike unwrapped his arms from about Buffy and placed them about Dawn’s still little body. “Let me pick her up, Princess,” he whispered as he tried to disentangle Dawn from Buffy’s strong arms.

“Oh God, be careful. Don’t hurt her,” Buffy whimpered pathetically as she reluctantly allowed her lover to take the child in his arms.

Once Spike had succeeded in carrying Dawn to the car, Xander leaned down and took Buffy by the arm. “Let’s get you into Wilkens’ car, huh, Buff? You can hold Dawn in the car, okay?”

“Okay Xander,” Buffy murmured in a childish, shell-shocked voice. “I can hold Dawnie in the car,” she repeated in a hollow tone.

The emergency room of Mercy Hospital had been a nightmare for Spike and Buffy. When the admitting nurse kept questioning the couple about what their status was concerning ‘the child’ Buffy nearly snapped and went for the woman’s throat.

“What do you mean? Status? The child?” Buffy ranted at the poor nurse. “Her name is Dawn and we love her, and that’s that! She’s…..” Buffy glared at the nurse then glanced over at William who looked as if he was going to be sick. The terrified, sick look on William’s face broke Buffy and she burst into incoherent sobs.

“The child’s name,” Larry Wilkens began evenly, “is Dawn Summers,” he continued, knowing full well that Dawn was not Buffy’s sister in any way. “Miss Buffy Summers here is the girl’s sister and guardian, here in New York. Mr. William Jameson is Miss Summers’ fiancé. I would appreciate it Miss,” Larry glanced at the nurses’ name tag, “Miss O’Hara, if you would get this show on the road. Dawn needs help, immediately.”

“Of course Officer Wilkens,” Nurse O’Hara replied in a clipped, no-nonsense tone.

“Doctor Benjamen Noxen is on duty tonight,” the nurse continued, all business now. “Orderly,” she called to a young man who was watching the goings on. “Take this girl, Miss Dawn Summers, to an examining room. Immediately Warren!”

The orderly hopped to and wheeled Dawn’s stretcher down the hallway to an empty room.

“I want to go with her,” Buffy whimpered softly to William. Somehow Buffy had somewhat pulled herself back together again, fairly quickly.

“Course Princess,” Spike replied, tenderly, as he took Buffy’s arm to lead her down the hallway.

“No,” Nurse O’Hara cried suddenly. “You cannot go in until the doctor has seen to the girl. Just wait here,” the sullen woman ordered everyone in general. Then she followed the orderly into the room at the end of the hallway and shut the door behind her.

Spike sat holding Buffy, continuously stroking her neck, shoulder and arm with his left hand. He stared at the end of the hallway, anxiously, trying to be brave for Buffy, but…..

“You need a smoke,” Buffy muttered under her breath, her green eyes never left the end of the hallway. “Have a smoke,” she ordered in her dazed whisper.

“Okay baby,” Spike sighed heavily. God, but he ‘did’ need a smoke that was for sure.

“Willow, will you sit with Buffy?” Spike asked the nervous red-haired young woman.

“Of course Spike,” Willow stammered in her childish voice. Her man, Daniel, quickly joined her as she sat next to Buffy and took her in her arms.

“It’ll be okay, honey,” Willow assured Buffy with the optimistic conviction that she was known and loved for.

“It has to be,” Buffy mumbled half-heartedly. “The little doll brought William and me back together. Oh, Wills, she just has to be okay.”

Buffy broke down and began to sob, uncontrollably, as Spike watched helplessly. He wanted to go to Buffy; comfort her and tell her everything was going to be alright. The only problem was, Spike wasn’t too sure that Dawn was going to be alright at all. Not in the least.

Willow scowled at Spike and silently ordered him to continue his smoke. He did, nervously pacing back and forth; somewhat like an expectant father, waiting for his first child to be born. (insert anvil warning here!)

It seemed like hours, but it had been perhaps twenty or thirty minutes when one Dr. Benjamen Noxen finally emerged from Dawn’s room. The doctor was a good looking younger man; for some reason Spike felt intimidated by this medic. Intimidation was something William ‘Spike’ Jameson was completely unused to, that was for bloody sure!

“Mr. Jameson? Miss Summers?” Dr. Noxen asked the two blonds with a raised brow. “I understand you are Dawn’s guardians?” The doctor smiled at Buffy but frowned at Spike for some reason.

“We are,” Spike blurted gruffly as he eyed the young doctor with suspicion. “What’s wrong with Dawn and can you fix her?”

Spike realized, of course immediately, that he’d come off sounding like an incredible arse. His tone had been harsh and blustery; this doctor was only trying to help Dawn and all of them now.

“Mr. Jameson, you need to settle down now,” Dr. Noxen muttered arrogantly. Or so Spike felt. Spike pulled Buffy up from her seat and wrapped his arms about her, possessively, as if to let this young whelp of a medic know who the beautiful blond goddess belonged with.

“What’s wrong with Dawn?” Buffy asked, her voice barely a whisper. She clung to William, desperately trying to gain some emotional strength from her lover.

“Well,” Dr. Noxen began with a frown, “the girl is strong, physically; that’s not the problem.”

“What the bloody hell is the problem then?” Spike growled impatiently. He was becoming pretty fucking fed up with all of this secretive crap from this git and he was about to…..

“Dawn has lost a lot of blood, Mr. Jameson,” Ben Noxen stammered almost apologetically. “Not that this in itself is the main problem,” the doctor added quickly.

“A simple blood transfusion could help the child, that way. We are doing incredible things with blood transfusions, these days,” he continued evenly. “It’s just…..”

“I’ve read about those,” Willow interjected excitedly. “They can take blood from another person and pump it into the patient, right?” The red-head gazed at the good-looking doctor with wide gray eyes.

“Yes, exactly,” Dr. Noxen replied with a nod. He seemed to be impressed by the younger, slim red-haired woman with the lovely gray eyes.

Daniel Osbourne must have noticed Dr. Noxen’s interest in his girl. Before anyone could say another word, Danny hurried over to the couple and placed his right arm about Willow’s slim waist.

Dr. Noxen backed down, just a little bit before he spouted, “do you think you all could be tested? For a match, I mean,” he continued. “Dawn has a rare type of blood; it’s an A blood type. There’s not any of it in stock, unfortunately. We’ll need to take a sample of all of your blood; just to find a possible match. It’s all in the blood, after all,” he finished with another deep sigh.

Spike and Buffy looked at each other and nodded at the doctor. “Test us,” Spike stated evenly as he began to lead Buffy to follow the doctor.

“Test me,” Willow squeaked in her little girl’s voice. “Me too,” Daniel offered as he took Willow’s arm and followed Spike and Buffy.

“I”ll give it a go,” Giles mumbled in his genteel voice. His lady, Jennifer followed right behind.

“I”ve no idea what type of blood I have,” Anya whispered, “but I’ll give it my best shot.” Xander didn’t say a word, just fell into step behind his lover and followed her into the doctor’s office.

“I can’t give blood,” Faith sighed impatiently. “I’m pregnant and…..”

“I’ll give it for both of us,” Riley grunted, bending down to give his wife a quick kiss.

“Well, go on,” Cordelia gently ordered her husband. “I can’t give blood either because of the baby,” she tapped her tummy in a delicate manner. “You can, of course,” she grinned at Larry Wilkens.

Mitch and Lars slunk along behind the others, a bit reluctantly. For all of their macho posturing, the two tough guys were really basically marshmallows inside. They followed the others; willing to help out the little girl that had captured all of their hearts.

The somber group waited, impatiently, in the waiting area. They all secretly hoped that it would be their blood type would match Dawn’s and help save her.

Doctor Noxen came out of the small lab nearby, followed by Nurse O’Hara. The doctor looked unhappy, no make that sad as he slowly walked over the anxious group of people.

“I’m sorry,” Noxen sighed heavily, shaking his head in defeat. “None of your blood types matched Dawn’s and…..”

Buffy burst out into tears again; soon to be followed in sobs by Anya, Willow and Cordelia.

“Doc, you can get some A stuff, somewhere, right?” Faith asked the medic gruffly. “After all, there’s gotta’ be some schmoe that has the same…..”

“What about the staff on duty?” Jenny asked in her soft, soothing voice.

“Their blood types are on record here, per procedure,” Dr. Noxen muttered in reply. “I’m afraid none of our staff has the right blood type. I’m so sorry,” he offered helplessly.

‘Oh, God, he sounds so fucking defeated,’ Spike realized in stunned despair. ‘He’s gonna’ give up on my Bit and…..’

Spike pulled Buffy even tighter to his own trembling body and buried his face into her soft, warm hair. He loved this tiny woman, so bloody much and he loved Dawn like a daughter, because of Buffy.

“Look, you’re all exhausted,” Dr. Noxen stated the obvious as he glanced from one anxious face to another. “If you won’t go home and get some rest, then at least grab a bite to eat and some coffee. There’s a pretty good diner, just across the street from the hospital,” he continued evenly.

“I could sure use a drink,” Xander muttered as he took Anya by the arm to go.

“Me too,” Riley added, wrapping his arm about his pregnant wife’s strong shoulders.

“Let’s go Danny,” Willow ordered her lover gently. “I think we should all go get a meal and…..”

“I’m not going anywhere,” Spike and Buffy cried simultaneously.

Buffy looked up at William, her green eyes shown with all of the love and adoration she had for him. “We’re not going,” she repeated to the others.

“I’ll bring you both back a sandwich and coffee,” Willow blurted out; Daniel nodded in agreement behind her.

After the rest of the group had left, Buffy sat on William’s lap, sobbing, intermittently, into his shirt.

“It’s our fault,” Buffy murmured between sobs. “We should have told her the truth from day one. That her daddy is dead and….”

“Mr. Jameson, Miss Summers,” Dr. Noxen rejoined the couple after being gone for an hour or so.

Spike stood up, actually picking Buffy up in his arms at the same time. “The Bit, is she….” Spike stammered hoarsely; his own voice was rough from nerves, tears and chain-smoking.

“No change, really,” Dr. Noxen offered with a silent apology. “I just wondered, the mumbles a name, off and on. She keeps saying something like ‘charger’ or so. I was hoping it might be a little friend of hers?”

“It’s a horse,” Buffy replied flatly, “a big stupid, beautiful race horse that Dawnie loves so very much.” Buffy burst out into a new torrent of tears and clutched William desperately.

“Oh,” Dr. Noxen mumbled sadly. “Like I said, I’d hoped that it might be the name of a little friend. Someone who could come down and ‘talk’ to Dawn. The brain is an amazing thing,” he continued seriously.

“Dawn has completely shut down; not just from loss of blood, but because her brain has shut her down, emotionally. The brain acts like a protector for the mind and body. If something is hurting a person; man, woman or child, the brain will shut down and blank the emotional pain out.”

“I don’t get it,” Spike barked in frustration due to a lack of rest, hunger and nerves. “Are you saying that the Bit’s brain is trying to block out what happened at the track today? That’s why she won’t wake up?”

“Yes and no,” Dr. Noxen replied with a shrug. “We do not know that much about the brain, yet. This is speculation, not much more. Dawn seems to be trying to stay ‘asleep’ for a reason, and not just because she needs a blood transfusion. Which, by the way, we are notifying potential donors we have on record here. We hope to find a match, and soon,” the doctor finished with a slight scowl.

This information did nothing to soothe Spike and Buffy’s frayed nerves whatsoever. When Dr. Noxen left them, Spike placed a kiss on Buffy’s damp cheek.

“It’ll be okay, baby,” he cooed lovingly, “the Bit will pull through this. She has to.”

“She does,” Buffy murmured tearfully. “I love her, Will, just like I love you. If she comes through, I want to…..”

“She ‘will’ come through this,” Spike rasped huskily.

“Well, well, well, isn’t this loverly,” Angel O’Connor barked from the just mere yards away from Spike and Buffy. Neither of the blonds had heard or seen the big Irishman enter the waiting area.

“What the fuck do you want, O’Connor,” Spike growled harshly as he sat Buffy down gently on the waiting couch. “You’ve got a lot of bloody nerve showin’ up here! After…..”

“Nerve I’ve got plenty of Spike,” Angel spat with contempt. “I didn’t come here to see you two makin’ goo goo eyes at each other. I came to see how the little girl was doing. I…..” his deep voice trailed off when he saw the look of hate in Buffy’s green eyes.

“Get the hell out of here,” Buffy cried, sounding just like a mama lioness. “You caused this, Angel. You hurt my little girl and I could kill you, right now for it!”

“Not if I rip his head of first!” Spike roared as he took a menacing step towards Angel.

Right at that moment, Dr. Noxen chose to return to the waiting room; as did Xander Harris. Xander carried two boxes of take out food from the diner, but he nearly dropped them when he saw Angel O’Connor in the room.

“You’ve got a lot of balls to be here, Angel,” Xander hissed angrily at his former boss. The dark-haired man sat the food down on a small table and turned to face the bigger, stronger man.

“Seems Angel here has grown a conscience and some balls,” Spike spat with contempt. Xander had stepped in between Spike and Angel, causing the blond man to step back a foot or so.

“Look,” Angel began quietly, “I fucked up; I get that. I thought I should come down, check on the kid. If I’m not wanted then…..”

“What blood type are you?” Dr. Noxen interrupted in a professional, even tone.

“What?” Angel asked; confused as usual by anything that didn’t include betting, money or women.

“Do you know your blood type?” Dr. Noxen asked, a little more anxiously this time.

“No,” Angel grunted with a smirk. “Why the hell would I know my blood type?”

“But we can find out, right Doc?” Xander asked with a wicked chuckle. “Right Spike?”

“Too right,” Spike answered his best friend, besides Buffy of course. Spike’s mouth was twisted in a really evil smirk as he strode over to Angel, Xander in tow.

“Right this way, gentlemen.” Dr. Noxen commanded a slight smile on his own mouth. He led the three men; Spike, Xander and a somewhat dazed, slightly struggling Angel into the now familiar lab.

Spike exited the lab and rejoined Buffy, about ten minutes after he and Xander ‘persuaded’ Angel into being tested.

“Where’s Xander?” Buffy asked her lover in a broken voice.

“In there,” Spike pointed at the lab and chuckled slightly. “He’s helpin’ old Angel out,” he finished with a smirk.

“Let me guess, Angel tried to bolt, right?” Buffy sighed in disgust.

“No, Angel couldn’t bloody well bolt, really,” Spike muttered. “Xander sat on him and made sure he couldn’t, actually,” the blond man grinned.

Buffy giggled for the first time what seemed like ages to Spike. It warmed his heart and he pulled her to his body, protectively.

Spike settled his chin on Buffy’s soft head and stroked her back, affectionately. He held her so tightly, that he wasn’t surprised when she had to gasp for breath.

“When this is all over, baby,” he whispered tenderly, “you and me are getting’ married. Good and proper,” Spike ordered gently. “Now, I won’t take no for an answer, so…..”

“I say yes,” Buffy murmured softly in reply. “I’m not saying no, Will,” she continued in her breathy little voice he loved so. “I’m saying yes. It’s just that, I want Dawn to really be ‘our’ daughter, legally I mean. I want to go home, too,” her words were muffled into William’s shirt. I want us to start over, in California, kay?”

“I’ll see to it that we can adopt Dawn as our daughter. As for California? We’ll see, right?” Spike mumbled, his voice hoarse with all kinds of emotions that he could barely name.

“That sounds wonderful,” Buffy managed to murmur just before she stood up on her tippy- toes and kissed her man on his oh so handsome mouth.

Xander Harris came flying out into the waiting room, a look of pure joy on his handsome face.

“Angel! He’s a perfect match, the Doc says so!” Xander nearly tripped and fell into both Buffy and Spike.

“He is?” Buffy gasped in surprise.

“Yup!” Xander crowed happily. “The Doc says they can start the transfusion, right now! Dawn’s already hooked up to Angel’s arm, through some tube or something. Doctor Noxen is going to start the transfusion and….”

Xander watched with an open mouth as Spike and Buffy nearly ran, hand-in-hand, down the hallway to the lab.

“This’ll fix her?” Spike asked the young doctor anxiously. “Will this make her better?”

“It will help,” Dr. Noxen answered in a calm voice. “Mr. O’Connor here has strong, very good blood, really,” he added with a warm wink at Buffy.

“Hear that Buff,” Angel mumbled, somewhat dazed by all of this drama. “The doc says I’ve got good blood!” The Irishman’s handsome face was contorted in pain, but his smug smile shone through it.

“I hear him, Angel,” Buffy whispered, her gaze focused on Dawn’s pale face. She stroked the tiny girl’s arm, lovingly, with her right hand; while she wiped some tears off her own cheeks with her left one.

“If this works,” Spike choked out, not in the least embarrassed by the tears of relief that spilled down his cheeks. “If it works,” he continued, “then we’re jake; right Angel? Right?”

“Right, Spike,” Angel muttered harshly. “In fact,” the big man continued, painfully, “we’re more then jake Spikey. The doc there said that Dawn keeps mumbling something about The Charger. Well, he’s yours; your’s and Buffy’s now. I want you two to get the fuck out of New York; first chance possible. Just consider the nag a wedding present, understand?”

Spike stared at his ex-boss in shock; stunned that this monstrous man had finally chosen to do something ‘right’ for once in his miserable life. The blond ex-bookie didn’t know what to say; for once.

“Thanks, Angel,” Buffy murmured from her spot next to Dawn’s bed. “Looks like you have grown a soul, along with a conscience.”

Spike pulled Buffy up and flopped down onto the chair where she had sat. He pulled her on his lap and gently rested her head on his shoulder.

“So, what do you say Princess? Does California sound pretty good to you?” Spike llay the left side of his face against Buffy’s and half closed his eyes. He had a lot of thanking to do and he needed to start with the ‘big guy’ upstairs.


A/N: The epilogue to this will be posted in about two or three days. Technically, this story is finished, but I will tie up the loose ends.

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.
Epilogue: by spufette
Author's Notes:
Thank you to everyone.
LITTLE MISSY THE MARKER


Epilogue:


Title says it all, really. This ‘chapter’ takes place about two years after the last chapter.


Spike Jameson watched as his wife, Buffy, stood at the railing fence of her father’s farm. He sat on a bale of hay (who would have thought that!) and grinned at the antics of Buffy as she directed their daughter, Dawn. Dawn was taking riding lessons from Hank Summers, her grandfather, and Buffy’s father.


“Show him who’s boss, Doll!” Buffy exclaimed excitedly.

“Oh, he know’s who’s boss, Mama,” Dawn cried back as she directed The Charger to trot; not gallop.

“She’s a pistol, Buffy,” Hank Summers chuckled after he hopped his fence and joined his daughter. This prompted Spike to rise from the bale of hay and meet up with his wife and father-in-law.

“Yup, just like her Mum,” Spike chuckled proudly as he wrapped his arm about his wife.

“Mama!” A tiny voice proclaimed from the stroller next to Buffy and Spike.

“My grandson seems to be awake now,” Hank stated the obvious; he bent down and swept the young child out of his stroller and held him to his body.

“Oh, little Will, you are a treasure,” Hank whispered in his deep voice. “You and Dawn are my whole life,” the older man continued as he hugged the one-year-old to him.

Little William Hank Summers was the spitting image of his father, Spike. He had the blond’s fair hair and blue eyes, but oddly, the mouth and chin of his mother, Buffy.

That night, back in Mercy Hospital, New York City, when Dawn pulled through her injuries. Spike asked Buffy to marry him and she said ‘my answer is yes, of course.’

Officer Lawrence Wilkens, being a man of various connections; gave his good friend Mayor Jimmy ‘Beau James’ Walker a ring on the telly. Mayor Walker hurried off to Mercy and officiated over Spike and Buffy’s wedding himself, right there in Dawn’s hospital room the next day.

Willow, Anya and Cordelia had decorated the little hospital room with white roses and daisies. Mayor Walker officiated over the ceremony himself, then, went one better to the delighted surprise to everyone present.

Mayor Jimmy pulled some more of his apparently very long strings and pushed adoption papers through, in twenty-four hours, thank you. Exactly two days and nights from the moment Dawn Merrick woke up from her sleep? The good Mayor made sure that William and Buffy Jameson were the official parents of one Dawn Summers-Jameson.

Three days after Spike and Buffy were married; Rupert Giles swept his Jenny off of her feet. The older couple married, conventionally, in a nice, small wedding at the local Episcopalian chapel. Two months later, Rupert took Jenny to England and settled down into a proper lifestyle; English manor and all.

When Faith delivered her and Riley’s first child, it turned out to be ‘children’ as in plural. The twins reminded Riley that he needed to get his life in order and he gave up the bookie business. He bought a nice little club in the Bronx and moved his growing family into a brownstone close by.

Xander, who worshipped the ground Spike walked on; took the opportunity to do the right thing. Harris finally took the plunge and legally married Anya Jenkins, his soulmate. Once Buffy and Spike took Dawn and high-tailed it to California, Xander decided to make a move himself. He moved his bride to Florida and set up a nice little ‘legitimate’ business there.

Buffy heard from Anya every three months or so, via mail, and was happy her old friend had found stability at last. Xander’s restaurant was going great guns in Miami and his wife and he were expecting their first child.

Larry and Cordelia Wilkens had a little girl and presently were expecting another child. Officer Wilkens had been promoted to Inspector of the entire West side. This not gave Cordy a reason to have extravagant galas, but it afforded the couple a chance to produce even more Wilkens’ offspring.

Daniel and Willow Osbourne had followed Buffy and Spike to Los Angeles, California as soon as possible. The Osbournes made their home in a nice little burg by the name of Malibu, by the Pacific Ocean.

Angel O’Connor had fared a bit less well. After he had given the life saving blood that had rescued Dawn, Angel had returned to his less then legitimate ways.

A year or so after Spike and Buffy had moved to California, Angel had been killed in a bar room brawl. Oddly enough, O’Connor had been stabbed to death, trying to break up a fight between two drunks in the bar.

No one knew what happened to Jesse, Mitch or Lars. No one asked either.


“Grandpa! Grandpa!” Dawn squealed impatiently at Hank Summers. “I want another go, Grandpa, please!” The little girl’s blue eyes danced with excitement and Hank couldn’t turn her down.

“I’ll be there in a jiff, squirt!” Hank called to his miracle granddaughter.

“Thank you,” Hank mumbled to his daughter and son-in-law as he watched Dawn hop back onto The Charger.

“For?” Buffy asked innocently, even though she knew exactly what her father was thanking ‘them’ for.

“For everything,” Hank began, his voice choked with emotion. “For coming home, Punkie,” the older man whispered sincerely. He ran a calloused hand over Buffy’s soft cheek.

“To you, Spike, for bringing my Buffy home to me,” he continued, there were tiny tears in the older man's eyes. “For giving me wonderful grandchildren,” he sighed in contentment as he looked first at Dawn then at little William.

“Just for everything,” Hank finished with a warm smile. He turned to hop the fence and continue Dawn’s riding lessons.

“We’ll miss you, when we go back to LA, Daddy,” Buffy murmured in a tear filled voice. “We can’t thank you enough for…..”

“You know, Spike,” Hank began carefully; he turned to look at his son-in-law and his brown eyes gleamed. “I’ve spoken to Mr. Flute, the Sunnydale Times editor. He’s goin’ to retire, next month. I thought….” Hank Summers’ deep voice trailed off as he clocked Buffy and Spike’s reactions to his words.

“You thought that maybe I’d be willing to bring the family up here, to Sunnydale? Take over the Times, right?” Spike asked his father-in-law; a slight smirk on his mouth.

“Daddy,” Buffy sighed in frustration. “You shouldn’t…..”

“Maybe your Da shouldn’t have, Princess,” Spike tenderly admonished his wife. “Then again, maybe he should have. I’m tired of bein’ a one line writer at the Los Angeles Times. Its time for me to move up to something more in my field,” the blond muttered to himself.

Buffy smiled, softly, happy that her plan was apparently going to work. Her William, proud man that he was, would surely give up a by-line at the LA Times for an editor’s job at the Sunnydale Times.

“Should I stop by the Flute’s office, say this Monday then Hank?” Spike asked hopefully.

“I believe you should,” Hank replied with a laugh. “Flute’s practically got ‘your’ name up on the door of his office,” he informed the young couple.

“Grandpa!” Dawn squealed again, totally past impatient for more horse riding lessons. “Charger is waiting,” the young girl informed her grandfather.

“I’m there,” Hank chuckled heartily. “Oh, honey,” Summers winked at his daughter, Buffy, “I’m thinking that the old Rogers' place, down the road, would be just perfect for you and the family!”

Hank scurried off to help his granddaughter ‘tame’ the still wild Charger.

“The old Rogers’ place?” Spike asked his wife as he took her into his arms. The couple gazed down at their son, William, and both smiled happily.

“Yeah,” Buffy murmured, “it’s a five bedroom, two bath place, just a mile or so down the road.” She gazed off down, south, of her father’s farm.

“Five bedrooms and two baths?” Spike asked with a raised brow. “That’s bloody huge,” he gasped.



“Well, that’s just it,” Buffy began hesitantly, “we might just need that much room,” she ended in a whisper.

“Buffy?” Spike drawled slowly, “do you have something to tell then, Princess?”

“I do,” Buffy giggled softly, “but I think you’d better have a seat again, right on the hay there!”

“I love you William,” Buffy whispered affectionately, flopping down on his strong lap.

“I love you too, kitten,” Spike murmured, his mouth buried into Buffy’s sweet neck.


The End.


A/N: Thank you for everyone who read this. Thank you for the reviews, spufette.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=13601