Stranger in Death by angelgirl1222
Summary: A stranger's death brings Homicide Lieutenant Elizabeth "Buffy" Summers and billionaire William "Spike" Masters together in a series of events related to murder.
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Sexual Situations, Child Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 8257 Read: 7425 Published: 12/08/2005 Updated: 12/14/2005

1. Chapter One by angelgirl1222

2. Chapter Two by angelgirl1222

3. Chapter Three by angelgirl1222

4. Chapter Four by angelgirl1222

5. Chapter Five by angelgirl1222

6. Chapter Six by angelgirl1222

Chapter One by angelgirl1222
Author's Notes:
I don't own any part of the Buffy verse that privelege goes to Joss and Co. Also characters parallel most of the characters in JD ROBB's In Death series. Please be nice this is my first fic.
Death is inevitable. Every person on this planet must face off with their mortality. Unfortunately for some, death comes sooner than expected.


Lieutenant Elizabeth "Buffy" Summers had dealt with death for most of her life. As the youngest person ever to be promoted to lieutenant in the Homicide division of the Sunnydale Police Department she knew death inside and out. Standing at 5'3" she didn't seem like she could pack a punch or take down men twice her size, but many criminals knew better.



Her mentor and partner Rupert Giles once compared her to a solid steel pit bull. It would be an accurate description for any officer, criminal, or lawyer that had met Lieutenant Summers. But her heart showed through during times of death notification and she was truely sympathetic toward the family.



Summers was called to the scene of a homicide located at The Bronze, a nightclub owned in the heart of the city. She'd been there once about ten years ago and decided the scene just wasn't her cup of tea.



She walked in and surveyed the layout of the club. High ceilings, shiny floors with LED tiles, staircases leading up to the second and third floors. Overall pretty ritzy, but death was never picky about who it chose.



"Who do we have here officer?" Buffy asked a redhead officer examining the body.



"Sir, we have a white female, approximately 30 years of age, strangulation marks on upper neck, and cause of death possible blunt force trauma to the back of her head." The redhead officer adjusted her cap and stood back to let Buffy squat down near the body.




"So, uh" Buffy looked at the officer's lapel, "Rosenburg, is it?" The redhead nodded. "What stands out about this victim?" She asked as she put on gloves and began to look for other clues.




"The vicitm was barefoot when found and is dressed in clothing that would appear to be night clothing for bed, and yet she is lying in one of the ritzyest clubs in Sunnydale." Willow Rosenburg, sweating on the inside but trying to look confident, told the investigating officer.



"Right, now the question is how did she get from her warm bed to the second floor of this ritzy establishment?" Buffy stood up and turned back toward Officer Rosenburg.




“Who found the victim? Are they still on scene and has the owner of the club been notified?” Buffy barked out the questions rapidly.




“One of the closing managers and a cleaning crew member found her at approximately 6:00 a.m. this morning. Both the manager and the cleaning member are being interviewed in separate rooms right now by officers. The owner, a Mr. William Masters, was notified immediately after the body was found.” Willow wiped the sweat off her brow and noticed Buffy’s mouth smirk.




“Okay, Rosenberg show me where Mr. Masters is.” Willow pointed near the main bar.




Buffy followed Willow’s finger and saw a man with his back turned standing over by bar being interviewed by another officer. “Thanks Rosenberg, I appreciate the hard work and precise report of what we have so far.” Before Willow could answer she turned and walked toward the bar.




"So Mr. Masters, how long have you owned the club?" Buffy overheard the officer ask Masters.




"I acquired the club about five years or so ago." Masters answered and Buffy heard the light, easy sound of an English accent.



"Okay that seems to be all the questions I have so far, but I'm sure Lieutenant Summers will have some for you." The officer noticed Buffy over Masters shoulder.



"Right, I'll look forward to meeting him as soon as possible." Masters turned and almost collided with Buffy.



"Well, SHE is available to meet right now, Mr. Masters." Buffy quirked her eyebrow accusingly as she made eye contact with the bluest eyes she had ever seen.



“Pardon my assumption Lieutenant; I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised to make your acquaintance.” Masters drawled as he held out his hand.



“I wouldn’t be in such a pleasant mood if I had just been informed of a dead body on my premises. But, that’s just me.” Buffy never took his hand and addressed the officer. “Are you done here?” “Yes sir, I just finished interviewing Mr. Masters.”



“I see, send your report immediately to my palm so I don’t repeat any questions I have for Mr. Masters.” Buffy once again turned to Masters and motioned to the end of the bar away from the activity.



Buffy heard her palm pilot single the incoming report and took a minute to review the questions. “The officer didn’t ask just what time you were contacted and when you arrived here at The Bronze, Mr. Masters.”



“Well Lieutenant, I was contacted just after 6:00 a.m. and told my manager to contact the police immediately. I’ve been here since right after 6:10 a.m.” He eyed her curiously.


“Interesting, so your manager contacted you to explain he found a dead girl before he called 911? That seems strange, what could you possible do to investigate?” She gave him the same curious stare.


“I pay my employees very well Lieutenant, and they are loyal to a fault. They’ve been trained to call in any circumstance that they cannot handle. I find that it is helpful to be here when the Sunnydale Police Department is here, so the investigator, namely you, can question me about any thing they feel they need to know.” He narrowed his eyes showing no fear about being questioned by the Lieutenant.


“Okay, I’ll give you that. I see a Xander and Anya Harris, and Doyle O’Reilly were present and Doyle found the body?” Buffy broke eye contact as she read over the report


“That’s correct.” He answered trying to will her to look at him again so he could stare into her green doe eyes.



“Why were they here so early when they closed up at 2:45 a.m. I understand Anya had closed this morning?” She still stared at her palm.



“I’m hosting a private fundraiser tonight and my managers and head janitor were coming in to start the cleaning and decorating for the day.”



"Is this fundraiser something that has been advertised?" She thought out loud to herself more than to him.



"No it's something that is by invitation only, but it seems the gala will have to be post-poned." Masters looked down and Buffy expected to see impatience but saw only sadness.


Surprised she added, “Yes, this place is a crime scene and will have to be shut-down until we make any kind of progress in finding out who the victim is and why she was brought here.” She made sure she caught his eye as he looked up again with those azure blue eyes. She had to fight gazing down and taking the whole package in, but noticed the high cheekbones, platinum hair, full lips, and the interesting scar on his eyebrow. Internally she wished they could have met in different circumstances.



“You don’t think she was killed here do you?” He inquired slightly.


“No, Mr. Masters I don’t, but I want to know why on the morning of your huge gala she was left on your proverbial doorstep. I intend to find out who did this and why.” She said aggressively. The girl was hers now, she stood up for the dead and spoke for them when they could not.


“I intend to be cooperative with your department Lieutenant, and hope I will be involved in every way possible with your investigation.” He held out his hand again.


“I appreciate that, but I don’t know how involved you need to be at this point, but I’d like you to be available for any further questions I might have.” She also held out her hand and when she clasped his a jolt went through them both. She quickly took her hand and turned sharply to walk away.


She heard him say under his breath, “Oh I intend to stay available for you Lieutenant, just say when.”


Buffy, incapable of anyone getting under her skin, blushed as she walked away.





Please be kind… no flames….my first fic.
Chapter Two by angelgirl1222
Author's Notes:
Again, I cannot take credit for anything Buffy or Angel associated own everything to Joss and Co.
Please read JD ROBB's In Death Series, the characters parallel the one's in my story.
Chapter Two:


Buffy sat at her desk in her small office at Sunnydale headquarters and wondered why the victim had been taken to such a hotspot if it wasn’t somehow connected to the owner and his fundraiser.



The owner… William Masters, his face had stayed with her for the last 24 hours and she found herself thinking about him more and more.



‘Stay focused Summers!’ Buffy scolded herself and went back to the report. She had added all the interviews and autopsy report to hand into her commander.



A knock on the door brought her out of her thoughts. “You wanted to see me sir.” Officer Willow Rosenberg addressed Buffy.



“Yes, I did, and quit calling me sir. Sit down Rosenberg. I wanted to ask you if you’d like to be my assistant during this investigation.” Buffy inquired.



“Seriously!” Willow stood up and began speaking quickly, “I mean that would be great sir, I mean Buffy, I mean Lieutenant, I mean Lieutenant Summers.” She quickly sat down and closed her eyes. “Tell me I didn’t call you Buffy just now.”



Buffy chuckled, “Yeah you did, but good thing that’s my name, huh. Now Willow you showed great instincts the other morning and I’m willing to bring you on as my aide during this case. That means fetching me coffee, and doing endless amounts of crap work, but I really want you to be a part of this case. Does that sound like a plan to you?”



“Yes Lieutenant, I would be honored to work with you.” Willow’s red face closely matching her hair seemed to subside some.



“Good now that that’s settled we can get to work. Have we ID’d the victim yet?” Buffy questioned her knowing she had been doing most of the investigation follow-up concerning the victim.


“No, not as of yet, we still have some DNA testing to run through CBI (California Bureau of Investigation) and we should be closer to finding out who the Jane Doe is.” Willow’s former staunch attitude returned as she reigned in her emotions.


“Okay, after we do that I intend to do follow-up interviews with the managers Xander and Anya Harris and with Doyle O’Reilly.’ Buffy summed up her plan. “You up for a field-trip back to The Bronze?”



“Yes, I’ll inform my supervisor of my change in assignment.” Willow stated.


“Already done. Let’s get out of here before the media hounds try to catch me to give them a report of our progress.”


“Okay sir, sorry Lieutenant.”


“And stop apologizing Rosenberg, you haven’t done anything wrong…”


“Okay sorry, I mean okay.”




At The Bronze






“When do you think we’ll be open for business Spike?” Xander Harris asked as he poked his head in the make-shift office for his boss.





“I haven’t the slightest idea whelp, and if that’s coming from the fundraiser organizers, tell them I already donated the $250 that was supposed to be raised last night.” Spike sneered in his direction.




“Gee, Captain Peroxide don’t shoot the messenger.” Xander held up his hands in defense.




“Sorry, I’m bloody frustrated that we haven’t found out who that girl is. Not the best publicity for any other fundraisers, but mostly I’m just upset that she might have been killed because someone didn’t want us to throw that party.” Spike put his head down and ran his hands through his hair.




“Well Mr. Masters, I hope we can find out just why they didn’t want you to throw the party.” Buffy entered his office as he looked up. They made eye contact and Spike’s world shifted to the right just a little more. Buffy’s eyes softened when she saw the frazzled state he seemed to be in, but covered by introducing Willow. “This is Officer Rosenberg; she’ll be my aide through the rest of the investigation.”





Spike stood up and held out his hand to Willow, but
didn’t break eye contact with Buffy. “Pleasure to meet you Officer.” He finally looked at Willow, “What a particular lovely shade of hair you have.” And kissed her hand.





As Willow turned the same shade of red as her hair, Buffy felt a stab of jealousy run up her spine. She silently chided herself, ‘Stop fantasizing about him kissing your hand and get to work.’ “Mr. Masters…”




“Please Lieutenant, call me Spike, everyone does.” Spike returned his gaze to Buffy.




“Mr. Masters,’ she glared hardly at him, ‘I would like to re-interview the employees that were present at the time of the body discovery?”




“I’m sure that would be fine, luv, we don’t have anything going around here, do we?” He quirked his head to the side and Willow coughed and excused herself like Xander had from a conversation that was becoming increasingly more personal by the second.




Not noticing Willow or Xander's absence Buffy narrowed her eyes, “No you don’t do you? What with the dead girl on your dance floor and all.” Seeing the sadness return then replaced by a cold stare, Buffy realized that comment might have been uncalled for.




“I assure you Lieutenant Summers my employees and I will be cooperative. I would appreciate that when you need to speak with me again you could contact my assistant at this number to set up at time for us to meet.” He handed her his card, shut down his computer, and walked toward the door. “I will not be available the rest of the day as I have meetings in Los Angeles.” He left it at that and walked away but turned one last time to eye her, “Don’t presume to have any idea how I feel about the poor girl that was killed. You have NO idea who I am.” He waved toward Xander talking with Willow and was out the door before Buffy could respond.




“Who the hell does he think he’s dealing with!” She fumed and stalked toward Xander. “How can he just walk out of here and leave the scene! How arrogant can one person be?”




“Well, for the most part it’s all a front Lieutenant Summers. Arrogance is Spike’s defense mechanism when someone really gets under his skin. Most of the time he’s pretty easy going, charming, and isn’t ruffled by people in the slightest. Seems you’ve really made a point to get under that skin, huh?” Xander smirked and then cowered when Buffy stared him into the floor.




“Yeah, if he thinks he’s going to get away that easy, he’s met his match. Rosenberg, you’ve gone over the previous interviews, talk with Mr. and Mrs. Harris and O’Reilly and meet me back at headquarters. Where is he headed Mr. Harris?” Buffy pointed her finger in Xander’s chest.




“Uh, Uh, Uh…., probably to his office in LA.” Xander’s bladder felt the need to relieve itself, but he was too frightened of the woman.




“What’s the address?” She waited a beat as he wrote it down. “Thank you for your cooperation Mr. Harris, if arrogance is Mr. Master’s defense, he should see mine.” She stormed out the door.




“So what do you think is her mechanism?” Xander quietly asked Willow.




“Violence aside? Probably verbal abuse that tends toward emasculation.” She chuckled and saw Xander’s face pale. “They are certainly both bull-headed huh.” He laughed nervously.




“Bull-headed is the least those two will be, we’ll be lucky if we don’t have to investigate another murder by the time this is done.” She took out her notebook and saw Xander frown. “Now Mr. Harris tell me exactly what occurred on the night in question.”






************************************************************
Did I leave you wanting more? Hopefully you’re still with me. I promise to give you a little Spuffy next chapter!!! Can’t have them fall into bed immediately can I? Or can I? (laughs evilly)…
Chapter Three by angelgirl1222
Author's Notes:
Do not own any Buffy or Angel verse, Do not own anything Nora Roberts aka JD ROBB writes, but I wish I could own Spike...
Chapter Three:


“I apologize I was unable to attend the video conference this morning Mr. Tamiyoko. I usually oversee everything on projects of this magnitude. I hope my assistant Jenny was able to give you all the progress and updates associated with the prototype.” Spike addressed the Japanese businessman on screen.




“Ms. Calendar was most helpful with all of the details Mr. Masters, I look forward to working on this project together. I heard about the unfortunate turn of events the other night. I trust the matter is being looked into.” Before he could reply to Tamiyoko, the door flew open and Spike saw a whirlwind of anger coming right at him, closely followed by Jenny Calendar.



“Who in God’s name do you think you are?” Buffy all but spit at him as she made her way around his massive desk, not noticing the giant screen that held the image of Tamiyoko.




Ignoring her rant he turned back to the screen and addressed his client. “Mr. Tamiyoko, I must cut this short as a bull has entered my china shop.” He smirked at the man and Tamiyoko smiled briefly, “Understood, but we will touch base later this week correct?”




“I assure you that everything with the prototype is ahead of schedule and I will brief you toward the end of the week. Merushi adiosu Misuta Tamiyoko.” Spike addressed Tamiyoko in his native Japanese.



“Adiosu, Misuta Masters.” Tamiyoko bowed and disconnected the call.




Spike disconnected his call and sighed, “I don’t
presume to be God, but my Christian name is William, but I don’t believe that’s what you came down to my office to ask is it Lieutenant?” He turned to face her and was assaulted by her feral beauty. Her eyes were blazing, chest heaving, her hair coming out of it’s ponytail. She was glorious. The anger and hurt he felt when he left the Bronze dissipated as soon as he saw her again.




“I’m sorry she burst in your office sir, I wasn’t able to stop her after she did not heed my warning that you were in an important meeting.” Jenny sweetly, yet firmly said from behind Buffy.




“It’s quite alright Jenny, Lieutenant Summers has a few questions to ask me and I’m sure she couldn’t wait to associate herself with business etiquette. Hold all my calls and meetings for the next hour.” And with that Jenny walked toward the door.




“I’ll be right outside if you need me William.” She made a point in using his Christian name as she quirked her brow toward him. He smirked back and heard the door close.



Buffy was flabbergasted at his almost jovial attitude and was for once speechless and she gaped at him.




“If you’ve come to apologize pet, I appreciate the gesture, but a call would have sufficed.” He stood up and closed the gap between them. “But seeing you grovel in person is even better.” He itched to bring her closer to him.



“Well, I, I, I, I…, never.” She was so appalled by his behavior she couldn’t get the words out. She realized how quickly he turned from business to cocky in one instant and she was still reeling from his incredulous manner.




“No, sorry probably isn’t something in your vocabulary kitten, but I bet when you do it, it feels so good.” Spike’s innuendo was not lost.



She raised her hand to hit him, and he pulled her close so their bodies meshed as one. “I’m going to kiss you Lieutenant, so if it’s not something you want, you better push me away....”



Before Spike could continue, Buffy grabbed his face and felt the heat as her lips touched hers for the very first time. They grappled to get the upper hand and realized they both had found their match. They slid together ferociously as his hands went to her hair and freed it from the holder. She tried to bring him closer, wanted to crawl into him and felt an unbridled passion fill her.




Their tongues tangled and they came up for just long enough for the breath they needed. She needed more friction to ease the ache she had deep within. She’d never felt this, wanted this, needed this.



She pushed him against the wall and felt the portraits shake. Buffy put her leg up and felt his erection exactly where she needed it and she heard him chuckle.



The chuckle is what brought her out of the moment and she pushed away from him, lips full from the kiss and her hand went to her forehead. “Oh my God, what did we just do? I have to go, I have to get out of here, I’ll make an appointment with your assistant Mr. Masters.” And with that she was gone.




He barely had time breathe before she flew out the door and he held his hand as if to stop her. “Damn it!”




Back at SPD headquarters:




Buffy had her hands in front of her face, elbows on the desk, and wondered what had come over her to kiss Spike. ‘He’s beautiful, smart, and sexy as hell, you idiot!’ She warred with her inner self. ‘Yeah and also the owner of the Bronze, a billionaire, and possibly a potential suspect.’ The cop in her retaliated.




“Lieutenant! We’ve found out who Jane Doe is.” Willow came racing in, holding a piece of paper, breaking Buffy’s tirade with herself.



Willow stopped suddenly and saw Buffy’s face.




“Are you okay? You look green like you’re going to barf or something? Do you need anything, tea, soup, a hot washcloth?” Willow went into caregiver mode immediately.



“No, what I need is the identity of the victim, Officer.” Buffy stood up and held out her hand.





Another cliffhanger till next time…Thanks so much for all the great reviews, it makes me all mushy inside…I gave you just a little Spuffy, but I promise next time it will be GREAT…
Chapter Four by angelgirl1222
Author's Notes:
I'm not taking credit for anything Buffy or Angel related. Don't own JD ROBB's In Death series, but this story is all mine.
Chapter Four:



Buffy studied the toxicology and autopsy report on Harmony Alisha Kendall. She was thirty years of age, British citizen, finishing her MBA at Stanford. Time of death was approximately 3:45 a.m. She was single and had her whole life ahead of her, Buffy thought sadly.



“Why’d they target you Ms. Kendall? What connection do you have to Spike if any?” Buffy questioned herself out loud. She looked at the business card and dialed the phone number on it.


“Masters’ World Inc., Jenny Calendar speaking how my I direct your call.” Jenny answered quickly and efficiently.



“Ms. Calendar, Lieutenant Summers, I wish to set up an appointment with Mr. Masters’ preferably tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. sharp.” Buffy confidently summed up her request.



“I’m sorry Lieutenant, Mr. Masters has a conference call scheduled for that time, and I don’t see an opening till late afternoon around 4:00 p.m. Shall I put you down for 4:00 p.m.?”



“Is that the earliest he’d be able to see me?” Buffy frowned audibly.



“Yes, Lieutenant, I’m afraid the investigation required him to reschedule some of the meetings from the beginning of the week and he’s been playing catch up ever since.” Jenny explained.


“If that’s the best you can do, put me down for 4:00.” Buffy sighed and said goodbye.



‘I hope you’re not trying to weasel your way out of a meeting because of our last Tet’ a te’.’ She blushed as she remembered his hands in her hair and the ferocious excitement that burned through her. Forcibly she pushed the thoughts aside and looked at the supplements and reports on her desk.


Willow had been thorough with interviews involving Xander and Anya Harris and Doyle O’Reilly. She was pleased to see Willow’s progress in such a short time on the case. She thought about making her a more permanent part of the Homicide division.



She planned on finishing up an update on the report and decided to take a trip to the morgue to meet with Coroner Andrew Tucker about the Kendall autopsy. A knock at her door signaled a delay in her plan and she turned to see the door open.


“How is my absolute favorite friend in the whole world?” A screaming Faith Wilkins stepped through the entry.


“Hey Faith, in the neighborhood or just looking for another tumble with one of my cops?” Buffy smirked and stood up to give her best friend a hug.


“Well, if you must know I was in the neighborhood and thought I’d drop in to give you the latest on my demo plans, but if you have a full plate B, let me know and I’m sure I can waste some time cuddling up to the boys in blue,” Her doe eyes full of mischief and the dimples in her cheeks proved that Faith wasn’t just kidding, she was serious.


“Nah, I’ve got some time, let me hear the lowdown on the single. How’s it coming?” Buffy hid her eye roll and sat back down.


Faith immediately turned the chair in front of her desk around and straddled the seat. “A big producer was at the club the other night and heard my set. She came up to me afterwards and said I wailed and would like me to meet with the head of her recording company! Can you stand it?”


Faith reminded Buffy of the young pickpocket she had hauled into Juvi many years before. She always had that little girl enthusiasm when she got excited. They had come a long way and Faith had slowly worked her way into Buffy’s solitary existence and was like the sister she never had, never wanted, but never had.



“So I had a meeting with them this morning and met with Jared Geffen from Masters’ Records. We talked a little and he took me down to a studio and I recorded my demo in this wicked state of the art sound booth. I’m telling you I think I died and went to heaven.” She literally bubbled with glee.


Buffy listened to everything Faith was saying as she typed on her computer but stopped the instant she heard Spike’s name. “Did you say Masters’ Records?” She asked quietly.


“Yeah, B, why? What’s wrong with signing with the largest, most successful record company on the planet?” She tilted her head questioningly. “Not to mention the hottie that owns said company, oooooh, have you seen him in all his deliciousness. Tight body, great eyes, sharp cheekbones. I’d like to break off a piece of that salty goodness.”


“Ummmm, yeah, he’s great,” and under her breath she whispered, “just peachy.” She turned and met Faith’s eyes who narrowed and then a light went off.


“Holy shit B! You’ve boned my future boss! That’s frickin’ crazy! I can’t believe you’ve gotten horizontal with him.” She flew around the desk.


“We weren’t exactly horizontal at the time, I mean, no I haven’t done THAT with him.” Buffy backpedaled.


“Not yet anyway, by the look in your eye.” Faith’s mischievous grin returned and it looked as if she wanted details.


“He’s a suspect in one of my cases Faith!” Buffy said vehemently.



“What? The girl that was found at the Bronze?”



“How do you know, oh never mind, the news right, of course it’s all over the news, why wouldn’t it be, he’s only the richest man in the whole universe, not to mention hot as you’ve already eluded to…” She continued her rant pacing around the room, pulling at her long tendrils.


Faith captured her friend and made Buffy look her in the eye. “You’ve got it bad, huh?”


“What bad, no I don’t, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Buffy pulled away.

“Okay, well it’s obvious you have a lot on your plate, so I’m gonna bail. If you get a chance I’m singing down at the Soiled Dove tonight, drop by.” She gave her friend one last smirk. “Bring loverboy too.” She laughed all the way out with Buffy cursing behind her.


“Whatever.” She huffed and yelled, “Rosenberg, with me!” Willow grabbed what was left of her pop and skittered out the door following her superior.


At the morgue:


“Subject has cyanosis on various parts of the body and signs of a severe case of endotoxic shock. The weight and height on the subject show signs of being malnourished.” Buffy heard the head coroner say into his recorder as she stepped into the room.


Without looking toward the door, Andrew Tucker addressed Buffy, “So my young padawan, what answers do you seek?”


“Cut the Star Wars crap Andrew and tell me about Harmony Kendall.” Buffy huffed and kept her smile at bay. She had always gotten along with Andrew as much as they could with her being a no-nonsense detective and him, well a geek. Even though Andrew was a geek he was the best coroner she’d come across.


“Patience my young apprentice is a virtue they say.” He smirked talking backward like Yoda because he knew it chapped her hide.


“Patience isn’t my strong suit Andy, but violence, now there’s a virtue.” She smiled gleefully and rubbed her hands together.


“Don't get your underwear bunched, Summers; I’ve done all the work, what’s the problem with subject Kendall?” Andrew took on an exasperated tone.

“What’s your consensus on motive? Why her, why the Bronze? She wasn’t sexually assaulted, but shows scarring associated with abuse. She’s from England and just recently moved here. The MO doesn’t jive with any other murder we’ve had before.” Buffy thought out loud more than anything. Andrew was always good to run theories by.


“Whoever did this to her Lieutenant didn’t know her, but she was left in that nightclub for a reason. Somebody working at that club knows this girl.” Andrew stated matter of factly.


“Somebody working there or somebody that owns it.” She added cryptically and finished her questions.


At the Soiled Dove:


Buffy walked in and looked around at the loud, smoky bar and wondered was possessed her to take Faith up on the offer. ‘I should be in bed.’ She pondered leaving but before she could take the steps to turn Faith was latching on to her.



“Oh B! I’m so glad you came! Jared Geffen and Lilah Morgan are here from the record company! I need your support girl, I’m wicked nervous.” Faith teetered on 6 inch thigh high boots.



“You’ll do great Faith; you don’t have a shy bone in your body.” Buffy laughed and hugged her friend.



“No I don’t, that librarian I dated was the only shy bone I’ve ever had.” She snorted and turned on a heel to head backstage. “I saved a table for you in back, see you!” Faith waved and Buffy looked at a solitary table near the rear. ‘She knows me too well.’


The waitress set Buffy’s drink in front of her and moved back through the crowd.



“I wouldn’t take a drink of that, luv, it looks too green to be non-toxic.” She heard the lull of his accent and whipped her head up.


“You look surprised to see me? Think I’d miss the newest, hot act in Sunnydale? We’re signing her you know.” He moved the seat closer and sat close to Buffy.



“Yeah, I heard something about that. Are you following me?” Buffy eyed him suspiciously and then broke his intense gaze to look back to the stage.



“No, but I’m definitely not going to ignore you. You look tired Lieutenant.” She gave him her attention and saw the worry.



“I’m just waiting for my second wind.” She chuckled low and deep.


“Let’s get out of here, we can find it together.” He leaned close and brushed her ear with is lips.


“Yes.”




He grabbed her hand and Buffy looked at the stage one last time and saw Faith singing at the top of her lungs to a crazy beat. Faith winked and gave her thumbs up.



They climbed into a sleek, blue Aston Martin and after driving a short while, they pulled up at the gates of the biggest house she’d ever seen.



“Who lives here?” She in a quiet voice.



“I do, kitten. Where did you think I lived?” He pushed a button and the gates slid open with ease.



“I guess I just assumed you lived in LA or England.” She replied and realized she hadn’t thought about it.



“I have an apartment in LA and an estate in England, but this is my home. The minute I saw Sunnydale I knew it was where I wanted to lay my first roots.” Spike realized he’d never told anyone that bit of info.



“You’ve never had roots anywhere? Are your parents still in England?” She inquired.



“Didn’t really know my Mum, she left before my fifth birthday, and my Da’, well let’s just say he wasn’t really the fatherly type. He was good for a swift poundin’, but never had time for me. He was too busy hustling and ‘horing to give a damn abou’ his boy.” He looked down and shook his head.



Spike pulled the car to the front of the drive and went around and opened Buffy’s door. He took her hand and pulled her close. She didn’t push away and felt at ease when he kissed her lightly.




“You mesmerize me Lieutenant.” Spike whispered into her hair.



She couldn’t reply and he pulled her through the front door. They walked through an entry way that she swore was bigger than the Sunnydale Federal Bank and up the grand staircase.



They stopped at the elevator and as they waited in silence he drew circles in her palm. When the doors opened he waited for her to step in and pushed the bottom button.



“I hope you don’t mind I thought a quick dip in the pool might be nice.” Spike asked still holding her hand.



“That’s sounds fine.” Buffy knew if she thought too long she would back out and run as fast as she could. She wanted to see how far this would go before she had to.



“I won’t let you run this time, Lieutenant.” She wondered how he knew her so well when they’d only met three days before.



“I know.” She pulled him closer and wrapped her arms around him. She covered her mouth with his and licked his top lip asking for entrance. He opened his mouth and lazily their tongues danced.



The door binged and slid open to reveal an indoor Shangri-La. Buffy stepped out and gaped at the beautiful interior of what was more than just a pool. “I’ve never seen anything so beautiful.” She whispered.




“Well, that must be rectified immediately. We'll take a trip to Fiji or Thailand, pet. I’ll show you the world if you’ll let me.” He held her from behind and breathed in her scent. Vanilla and sugar, he knew he’d never be able to reproduce anything so uniquely Buffy.



“Show me your bedroom, Spike.”





I know, I know, I’m the most evil person on the planet, but I had to get more of the plot out and I needed to tell you the identity of the victim right? Harmony you say? Yes, never liked the b%&^* and she deserved to die… just kidding. Anyway, she didn’t fit into the story anywhere so why not have her dead? Her and Spike’s history will come out in the next chapter, but before that how about some smut? Thanks for the reviews!
Chapter Five by angelgirl1222
Author's Notes:
I don't own anything Buffy or Angel or JD ROBB related. Credit goes to Joss Whedon and Nora Roberts respectively. A little dialogue from "Wrecked" and a little thing I like to call really good smut.
Chapter Five:


He said nothing and turned her around in his arms.


He didn’t want to break the spell they seemed to be under. Spike knew she’d never done anything like this; she was too by the book. Buffy lived her life through laws and following the straight and narrow.


She looked at him through hooded eyes and leaned up to kiss him.


‘I’d never get tired of this.’ Spike told himself as the kiss became more passionate.


Buffy steered them toward the elevator and pushed the button. When the doors opened she pushed him through and latched onto him before he could whimper about the loss of her warmth.



“What floor, Spike.” She whispered in his ear.


Dazed, he pushed the button and grabbed for the lapels of her jacket. He peeled in off her and saw the gun harness.



She saw his gaze and unbuckled it quickly still not wanting to think about the complications of what they were doing. She went for this suit jacket and felt the smooth silk shirt underneath. Pulling the shirt out of his waistband she fingered the cool skin underneath.



He sucked in a breath as he kissed her neck. He smoothly unbuttoned her blouse and threw the garment to the floor.



The doors opened and they continued to strip off their clothing and shoes never breaking contact as they explored each other’s skin. Buffy went for his belt and stood before him clad only in a black cotton bra and black boy short panties.



She undid the buckle and let his trousers drop to the floor. The silence was thick as he unclasped her bra and took it delicately off her shoulders. He kissed her shoulder and cupped her right breast.



Buffy didn’t want this to be slow, if it was she would change her mind. She kicked his pants away and realized he didn’t have boxers to take away. She kissed him mindless as she guided them toward the bed. He flipped their positions and pressed her against the mattress. With one hand he removed her underwear, tweaked her nipple and expertly his tongue danced with hers.


She whispered, “I need you inside me now, Spike.”


“I know, luv.”


He levered himself over her and she positioned his cock at her opening. He thrust home and they both cursed. She felt like she was coming undone, she couldn’t get enough as he thrust and she arched.



She was soft and hard at the same time. Her muscles were lean and he would explore everything at length, but he knew this was going to be hard and fast the way she wanted, maybe she would let him make love to her next time. He knew he had a few questions about how she easily walked into his heart, but he would sort it out later.



“Oh God you feel good, kitten, hot and tight. I could stay here forever.” Spike spouted as he sped up his thrusts.



“Harder Spike…, oh God…., faster...” Buffy was incoherent as he bent her leg and got better leverage kneeling.



Buffy knew it would be like this, she had no thought of the consequences that would come of this weakness.



Her breathing became shallow and she shut her eyes. He recognized she was close and slid in between and pinched her clit. Her eyes shot open and she cried out, “Spike!” She arched and he slid down to meet her.


He followed soon after and emptied himself, “Oh yes, Buffy, my Buffy, my Buffy…”




It seemed a lifetime before their breathing slowed and they each opened their eyes. Green met blue and before she could push him away he countered and held her down.



“You’re not running away from his Lieutenant. Not this time.” Spike said forcefully but gently.



“I HATE when people tell me what to do!” She threw him and tossed him to the other side of the bed.



Before she could scurry off the bed he grabbed her ankle and pulled her toward him.



“You can’t ignore this Buffy, even though I know you want to. I’m not going to let you dismiss what’s happening between us.”



“What’s happening between us is against the rules, breaks every code of ethic, and is just plain stupid in every possible way!” He held her close but he finally let go.



She started to gather up her clothes and realized he hadn’t said anything.



She looked up to see Spike standing near the window, cigarette in hand. Staring at the moon he looked like an angel. A naked angel, but an angel all the same. She shook her head and dressed without engaging him in conversation.



“So I guess that’s it, you scratched an itch and you go back to being a bitch cop right?” He knew it would get her going.




“Bitch cop is the only thing I know how to be.” Buffy said sadly and zipped her boot.


Not knowing how to take her behavior he replied, “I don’t know how to handle you Lieutenant, you a truly an enigma. One side of you is all balls and brass and the other, what I saw tonight is all sensual woman. I’m at a loss for once in my life; I’ve never been on that side before.” He almost sounded mystified to admit.



“Nothing's changed. It was a mistake, you’ll get over it.” Buffy tried to find her shirt.



”Bollocks! It was a bloody revelation. You can act as high and mighty as you like... but I know where you live now, Lieutenant. I've tasted it.” He stomped over to her.




Buffy glared at him and remembered her shirt was in the elevator. She turned to go.



“You’re the owner of the Bronze Spike, someone I shouldn’t be fraternizing with outside of, how do you know the victim Harmony Kendall?, and where were you the night of October 21st? That’s it, that’s all our relationship is.” She put on her shirt and turned back around.




“And if you tell anyone…” Buffy looked and realized the blood had drained from his face.



“Did you say Harmony Kendall?”
Chapter Six by angelgirl1222
Author's Notes:
Buffy and Angel belongs to the one and only JW. JD ROBB, the frickin best book series in the world, belongs to Nora Roberts (not the sappy love stories you're used to.)
Chapter Six:





Buffy stared at him and felt her heart drop.



“Do you know her, Spike?” She finally was able to speak out loud. "Do you know Harmony Kendall?"



A single tear dropped from his face, “It couldn’t be her, Buffy she lives back home. It can’t be her.” He stood frozen and Buffy realized he might be in shock.



“What is your relationship to the victim, Mr. Masters?” Buffy took control and dashed for the recorder in her jacket.




“I…, um…, she’s an old friend…, I knew her when…, um, we were kids...” He stumbled and sank onto the bed. "It can't be her."




Wanting to run and comfort him but knowing she needed to get their connection recorded for her file, she continued.



“We verified her prints and DNA. It's her." She paused and then asked. “When was the last time you saw Ms. Kendall alive.”



Spike snapped his head up and met her eyes, “I haven’t seen her since I was ten, Lieutenant Summers, but we’ve kept in touch by email and calls. We never have made it a point to see each other in person. Too much history for that.” He narrowed his eyes, “I didn’t have that kind of relationship with her, she’s like my little sister.”



“A sister that you don’t see? What exactly is your history with Ms. Kendall?” Buffy made a point in keeping the interrogation formal without their feelings coming into play.



“I don’t see her because.., I don’t see her..., well damn it, it’s just too hard for both of us.” He tried to keep his eyes level, but they swam with emotion once more.




Buffy saw him struggle to keep control and grabbed a chair to drag over near the bed.



“Why is it hard?” She asked warring between wanting to know and not.



“It’s hard because we remind each other of a life that we escaped and have tried to bury.” The past would always haunt him and he knew when he least expected it would come back to get him once and for all. He couldn’t let that happen. He couldn’t let his father win.



“I don’t understand what did you try to bury?”


“Is this a formal interview Lieutenant, do I need counsel present?” His bravado was back.



“Not if you don't want counsel, we’re just talking.” She didn’t want him to shut down; she needed to prove his innocence, for herself more than anyone. “I’ll have to make the interview more formal, but for now why don’t you tell me a little more about the last time you talked with Harmony.” She didn't push their past anymore.




He eyed her warily and took a huge leap and decided to trust her. “I spoke with her about a year ago when she was accepted into the Master’s program at Cambridge. She’d gotten a fellowship and called to tell me her good news. Before you wonder, I’ve been giving her money for schooling, room and board, extra expenses, and vacations I sent her on every six months.” He explained when she quirked her eyebrow.



“She wanted to tell me how well she was doing and rub it in my face that one day she’d be richer than I was.” He paused and continued, “We laughed and I told her I had a conference call to take, and we said goodbye. That was last August, and I hadn’t touched base with her figuring she was busy.”




He instantly regretted that and could never right the wrong of not knowing what was going on in Harmony’s life at the time of her death. Was she in trouble? On drugs? He'd never know.




“What was she doing here? Why was she in the States? She never emailed or said anything about her coming across the pond. She couldn’t have already finished her degree; she’d barely been in school for a little more than a year.” Spike looked up at her.




“Well she transferred from Cambridge to Stanford when she received a prestigious offer from a firm here in LA. Ms. Kendall was working for them off and on for the last 8 months or so.” Buffy remembered from Harmony’s file. “She had made a great impression and had already accepted an offer from the firm to stay on after her Master’s was completed.”




“I just can’t believe it was her lying on that cold floor, I never asked to see her. I could have recognized her I’m sure.” He bowed his head. Why hadn't he asked to see the victim? He couldn't remember the reason now, just assumed he wouldn't know the girl.




“I’d like to give her a proper burial; she doesn’t have any kin left back in Liverpool. How soon will her body be released?” He stood up, went to the bar, and poured two fingers of scotch.




Still digesting the information she delicately said, “I’m going to have to interview you again about your relationship with Harmony, but I’ll give you tonight because I see this is a difficult time for you. I’ll let you know when the body will be released.” She stood up to go.



Buffy knew she would have to ask the tough questions later, it was much too early after the news of his loss. She hoped he remembered his comments about being cooperative, but knew the news about Harmony was devastating. She knew he loved her, it was obvious, but what was the nature of their relationship? She had a million questions, but refused to push him anymore tonight.



“Buffy, stay.”



“I can’t. I have to go to LA in the morning”. She paused momentarily, slid on her jacket, and headed for the elevator. “I’ll show myself out.”



“Who did she work for in LA? You never said.” He mumbled before she left.



“Um, she worked for a firm called, Wolfram and Hart, I think.” She glanced his way as the elevator slid open. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” And she was gone.



“Wolfram and Hart…, Angelus…, damn you.” The glass shattered against the wall.




************************************************************
OOOOO, how does Spike know Angelus? Stay tuned to find out... Thanks so much for all the reviews I'm glad someone likes the story, I know I'm having fun writing it.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=16010