Dark Paladin by Thianna
Summary: Alternative Universe - The Chosen One has existed for centuries but one girl against all the evil in the world is never enough. Then they were created -- the ones who fight with the Slayer to ensure her mission is fulfilled. But what happens when a certain blond haired blue-eyed Vampire Guard wants to do more than protect the Chosen One?
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Sexual Situations, Spike/Other
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 51291 Read: 21238 Published: 01/24/2006 Updated: 11/11/2006

1. Prologue and Chapter 1 - The New Position by Thianna

2. 2 - Change by Thianna

3. 3 - Turning by Thianna

4. 4 - Retribution by Thianna

5. 5 - Chosen One by Thianna

6. 6 - The New Slayer by Thianna

7. 7 - Meeting Buffy by Thianna

8. 8 - Slayer Blood by Thianna

9. 9 - Saints and Dances by Thianna

10. 10 - Warm Feeling by Thianna

11. 11 - A Solution by Thianna

12. 12 - Next Best Thing by Thianna

13. 13 - Something is Missing by Thianna

14. 14 - Yours by Thianna

15. 15 - You Were a What? by Thianna

16. 16 – Incomplete or Complete by Thianna

17. 17 - What I Asked Him to Do by Thianna

18. 18 - Claimed Fully by Thianna

19. 19 - If I Pass On by Thianna

20. 20 - What Now? by Thianna

21. Prologue and Chapter 1 - The New Position by Thianna

Prologue and Chapter 1 - The New Position by Thianna
PROLOGUE


... 1875 ...

It was just another English day in Oxford -- students rushing through classes and professors giving out lectures. It seemed like only yesterday when William Randolf Pratt first stepped foot within Oxford. In reality, it had been four long years ago. Graduation was just around the corner and his future was still to be written. He had thought about perhaps pursuing a career within the university. He loved literature and history and wouldn’t mind at all sharing his love for the subject to other young and willing minds. But someone had thrown something else into his lap which is why he found himself waiting outside the offices of a Mr. Wyndham.

After a few more minutes of waiting, he was finally ushered into the fairly ornate office.

“This way Mr. Pratt. Mr. Wyndham is ready to see you now.” The woman said opening the door for him.

“Aah… William. It’s so good to see you once again. How are you doing today?” Mr. Wyndham said giving William a firm handshake.

“I am well, sir. Thank you for asking.”

“And your mother?”

“She is well as can be expected, given her condition that is.”

“Ah yes, I am truly sorry to hear that she is still feeling a little ill. I will continue hope that she gets better. Anyway, to the matter at hand. My son tells me that you are very interested in philosophy and literature.”

“Yes, sir. I have expressed quite an interest and a love, I must confess, for such courses in Oxford as Jonathan, I’m sure has told you.”

“Yes. Yes. … Well I called you here because I want to offer you a position in the firm I’m working for.”

“For the publishing company, sir?” William asked hopefully.

“Not quite William. It’s is not for the publishing company I’m afraid. It is a position in a … uhm … research facility were we decipher ancient text. With your expertise in literature and philosophy we were hoping that maybe you could help us with our endeavors. I can’t promise any glamour with the position though. It calls for numerous sleepless nights in a library setting.”

“I see. Well may I ask who your clients are?”

“We mainly deal with a few museums and a number of historians. You will be well-compensated since propriety is very important to our clients.”

“Propriety sir?”

“Our clients require a certain degree of privacy and anonymity.”

“I see.” William said pushing his spectacles up his nose.

“I know this is a bit sudden. You have one week to think about it William and I hope you’re answer will be yes.”




CHAPTER 1 – The New Position

Fall 1879

William woke to the commotion that was going on downstairs. He groaned at the interruption and hoped that it was all a mistake. He already spent three extra hours at work trying to decipher some ancient Hebrew text that came in about two weeks ago. He needed sleep. He only had less than hour to talk to his mother tonight. But sure enough, a maid came knocking on his door.

“Master William. Begging your pardon sir but there are two men downstairs that are being insistent on seeing you sir. I told them you were fast asleep, but they bade me to wake you.”

With a sigh, William sat up in bed. “Tell them I’ll be down shortly. Thank you Mary.”

The maid bowed slightly then closed his door. She headed back down the stairs to tell the “guests” that her master would be with them shortly. William found his discarded clothes on a chair and grudgingly put them on. He ran his fingers through his hair, not even bothering to properly comb his wild locks in place. He crept silently so as not to wake her mother as he made his way through the hallway and down the stairs. His best friend Jonathan greeted him while another gentleman was pacing about with an agitated look on his face.

“Jonathan? I didn’t expect it to be you. What’s going on?” William asked.

“It’s an emergency, Will. We have to go back to the research facility now!”

“Research facility? Why? What happened?”

“We don’t have time. I’ll have tell you the reason on the way.” Jonathan said, grabbing his hand and leading him towards the door.


**

William found himself were he was but five hours ago. He worked as a translator and semi-librarian in the Council of Watchers Research Facility. He had no idea what he had gotten himself into when Mr. Wyndham offered him this position which he eagerly accepted. After the initial shock on finding out that demons truly existed, he found the job to be enjoyable enough. He was surrounded by books and his constant thirst for knowledge was satisfied each and everyday. He was paid handsomely for his work in exchange for secrecy and emergencies like this one. Apparently, someone in the Council was attacked by a poisonous demon and they needed a cure as soon as possible.

William knew better than to ask anything else about the victim. His job was to find a cure and that was what he focused on. After about an hour of searching and determining the identity of the demon in question, he was able to find a reference for a cure in one of the newly acquired texts that came in just a month ago from some ruin in Italy.

It took another hour to get the correct spell and ingredients. But after a little mixing and few incantations, he was able to produce the necessary cure. With an appreciative look, the other man that had accompanied Jonathan that night hurriedly left the confines of the library, with the precious cure in his hands.

“You’re a life saver Will. Sorry to have dragged you out of bed for this.”

“Not to worry Jonathan. … Just put in a good word for me with your father. And maybe mention an extra bonus come winter?”

“That should be easy to do, though quite unnecessary. You just saved the life of the Slayer!”

“The Slayer?! You mean? … But how? Doesn’t the Slayer have at least three guards with her at all times?”

Jonathan nodded. “That’s true. We actually lost one of them today. It seems like they were ambushed.”

“Oh. Well I’m glad I could help out then. I guess that should fill my excitement quota for the month.” William said looking though the various books he had strewn across the table in his frantic search for the needed cure.

“Well you know, you could always ask to be assigned to field duty. I’m sure they could find some potential Slayer to stick you with.”

“Don’t even mock me. Field work is hardly for me. You know I was in denial that demons existed for at least the first four months I was working here. Add to that the fact that I can barely hold my own in any fight.”

“That’s just because you don’t even want to try or learn.”

“I can’t help it that I like being surrounded by books more than drunkards and scallywags.”

“There’s more to life than this library and these books William. I still wonder how we even hit it off in Oxford.”

“I know exactly why you stuck around me. You needed me to help you with your grades!” he said chuckling.

“I swear, one of these days, I’m going to find a way to drag you out of here and into field duty. I bet you’ll love it.”

“Wishful thinking Jonathan. I know my limitations.”

“Bah, if you ask me, you barely tapped into your potential. Anyway, feel like joining me for some breakfast?”


**
… four days later …

William was pouring himself a nice hot cup of tea when he heard someone mentioning his name. It didn’t surprise him that someone was actually looking for him. It was that the voice belonged to a female that took him aback. He turned around after dropping a lump of sugar into his tea to find a young woman making her way through the rows of books towards him. She was dressed simply and at first glance, she looked like an ordinary girl, but there was confidence and purpose in her strides which to the observant eye, told that she was anything but ordinary.

“William? William Pratt?” She said cheerfully.

“Yes, that would be me.” He said putting his tea back down on the table beside him. “Is there something I could help you with?”

“My name is Helena. I’m the … “

“Chosen One.” William finished for her.

“Yes, that would be me. I came here to thank you for what you did for me a few days ago.”

“Oh, you need not trouble yourself with that Miss Helena. I’m glad that I was able to help.”

“Please, just call me Helena. There’s no need to be so formal.” She said sweetly.

“Very well then Helena. Is there something else I can help you with?”

She frowned slightly and William felt a little guilty for what he just said. “Uhm ... I didn’t mean to be so curt. It’s just that I rarely see anyone as important as you come down here.”

“Oh! … Well maybe you’ll be seeing more of me.”

“Is that so?”

“Well, my Watcher suggested that I need to brush up on my Latin, which I’m afraid to say is poor at best. That’s why I’m here. I heard that you were quite fluent in Latin.”

“I’m afraid I’m not as well versed as Mr. Stevens.”

“Well I’m afraid, I’ve driven Mr. Stevens away. He tried tutoring me last season and I could barely keep my eyes open for any of his lessons. I’m hoping that maybe you would be different.”

“Well I guess it wouldn’t hurt if we try it out for a week or so. Good, it’s settled then. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Very well. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

She gave him one more sweet smile before she practically skipped out of the library, her light brown hair bouncing with every skip and her hazel eyes twinkling in delight.

William shook his head and wondered just what he got himself into. He could read a slight mischief in her eyes and he just hoped that she at least would take his tutoring seriously.
2 - Change by Thianna
Author's Notes:
A/N: Some dialogue taken from Fool for Love. Thanks Joss and all the BTVS writers.
CHAPTER 2 – Change

… Spring 1880


It has been over five months now since Helena first started visiting William in the library for Latin classes. Despite the giggling and slightly childish antics that the fifteen year old Slayer would often give her tutor, she was a quick learner and quite attentive when the need arose. She was also very friendly, and not long after he took on the role of tutor, William also found himself with the role of friend.

Helena would usually come to share tea with him before the lessons began. Her lessons were over at around five o’clock but she insisted on staying until nightfall when a tall man by the name of Angel would come and fetch her. One could only assume that this Angel was one of the guards that went with the Slayer as she patrolled each night.

It was rumored that just a little over a decade ago, the Council had made a bargain with a vampire. In exchange for services rendered to the Council, specifically to ensure the safety of the Slayer, he would be rewarded with sanctuary. The stories mentioned that this vampire was unusual because he was cursed with a soul, forcing him to live his unlife guided with a similar morality to humans. He was however, shunned by the demon community for his uniqueness.

The existence of the Slayer’s guards was considered more of a myth than fact within the organization. If you asked any of the higher ups about it, they would just deny the rumor and say that the notion of a vampire protecting the Vampire Slayer was absolute preposterous. But rumors always come about as it does in any organization. The only reason William knew for a fact that they were real and not fiction was not because he had met this Angel, but because he had access to highly confidential records being in the research department.

This Angel fellow was pretty tight lipped. He hardly exchanged words with anyone in the room and seemed to communicate more with his discreet nods and constantly furrowing brow. Helena would often joke that he was quite the bore and even referred to him as her gigantic brooding shadow. William couldn’t contain his amusement when the Slayer first mentioned this to him.

“Nice to know that even stuffy boring librarians can laugh.”

“Is that how you see me Helena? Stuffy and boring?”

“Well you are here all day. I don’t see you anywhere else in this compound but here. Do you have a life outside the Council, William?”

“Uhm … well … I’m just far too busy with work and Mother to worry about anything else.”

“I like your mum. I mean I’ve never met her or anything but she seems really nice from what you’ve told me.”

“Mother is an exceptional woman.”

“Just your mum? Aren’t there any other exceptional women in your life?”

“What are you getting at Helena?”

“Well what about Cecily?”

“I have no clue what you are talking about.” William said nervously, flipping through the pages of the book that was in front of him.

“There’s no use denying it. I know you like her.”

“And just how did you come up with that conclusion.”

“Because you turn into mush at the mention of her name, plus I’ve seen you at those parties. You stare at her for hours on end.”

“How do you know? I mean … ”

“My Watcher calls it intelligence -- gossiping and eavesdropping that is. If you want to hear something strange, gatherings are usually the place to go. Of course I usually end up pretending I’m just one of the hired help. Servants usually have better information than the guests.”

“Oh …”

“Well are you ever going to tell her?”

“I don’t know if I should.”

“So you’re just going to pine over her from afar?” When William answered with just a sigh, Helena continued. “Will, I think you should tell her. I mean better to find out if your feelings will be returned than to just keep on hoping and never knowing. Of course I don’t see why she wouldn’t want you. I mean you’ve got a well paying occupation, you come from a high society family, you are educated, smart and quite a gentleman.”

“You think so?”

She gave him a big smile. “You’re a whole lot better than most of the people I’ve met. If I was her, I would be flattered.”

“Watch it Helena. I’m more than a dozen years your senior.”

“Like that matters. Life’s too short. I should know. I’m the Slayer.” She said, though one could tell the sadness in her voice when she mentioned her destiny. Slayers never really lived a normal life. It was impossible. Before the Council employed the services of the Slayer’s guards, the Chosen One was lucky to have fulfilled even a year of her calling. With her immortal guards by her side, they were able to extend that to nearly three years. Three years. … Helena was already passed her second year as the Slayer, but even if she broke all the records and lived passed the three year average, what did she have to look forward to? She would always be the Slayer until the day she died. That was her calling. That was her destiny.

A few minutes later, her dark brooding shadow slipped in quietly and with a sigh Helena gave a small pout.

"Guess it's time for me to go. A Slayer's work is never done." she said standing up.


***

... a few days later

William watched nervously as he sat alone in a corner, thinking of the right words to say to Cecily. Helena's words gave him some encouragement but he still couldn't help the fact that her beauty always left him speechless. He looked down at his small journal, hoping that maybe his poems could better express his feelings for her. But there was something missing -- a word, just one word that told of Cecily's beauty.

"Hmm... Luminous… Oh, no. … No. ... That won't do. Irradiant. ... That sounds better, but ..."

A butler came by with a tray. “Care for an hors d'oeuvre, sir?

"Oh, quickly, I'm the very spirit of vexation. Would you know another word for “gleaming”? It's a perfectly perfect word as many words go but the bother is nothing rhymes, you see.

The butler smiled patronizingly and then moved on to the other guests without answering his question.

With a sigh, William looked up to see that Cecily had finally arrived. He took a deep breath and made his way through the crowd towards her. He saw her step into one of the rooms and he meant to follow but Edward stopped him with a question.

“Ah, William! Favor us with your opinion. What do you make of this rash of disappearances sweeping through our town? Animals or thieves?”

William knew very well what they were but being a Watcher he was not at liberty to discuss any of it. He took a moment to think of what to say. “I prefer not to think of such dark, ugly business at all. That's what the police are for. I prefer placing my energies into creating things of beauty.”

“I see. Well, don’t withhold William,” Edward’s cousin Richard interjected as he snatched the poem out of William’s hands.

“It’s not finished and tis not for your eyes.”

“Don’t be shy William. Let’s see. … My heart expands/'tis grown a bulge in it/inspired by your beauty, effulgent." He chuckles. “Effulgent?”

William gave Richard an icy glare as he took his poem back and made his way towards Cecily. He stood there by the doorway trying his best to ignore the laughter behind him. He had heard it all before. William the Bloody -- the name they mock him with every single time. He shut it out. He was here to see Cecily and right now she was the only one that mattered.

He took a deep breath and took a chance by sitting beside her. “Cecily?”

She let out a bored sigh and turned to face him. “What are you doing here? Leave me be.”

“I just wish to talk to you.”

“I'm going to ask you a very personal question and I demand an honest answer. Do you understand?”

For a brief moment, William’s heart sang despite his nervousness. She at least was talking to him and for now that was enough.

“Your poetry, it's... they're... not written about me, are they?”

“Uhm… They’re about how I feel”

“Well yes, I understand that. But are they about me?”

“Every syllable.”

“Oh, God!” she said with disgust.

“Forgive me. I know. ... It's sudden and ... please, if they're no good, they're only words but... the feeling behind them. ... I love you, Cecily.”

“Please stop!”

“I’m not naïve. I know I'm a bad poet but I'm a good man and all I ask is that ... that you try to see me … “

“I do see you. That's the problem. You're nothing to me, William. You're beneath me.” She stood and left him without another word.

**

He knew it was cowardly and stupid but it cut right through his heart. He knew he wasn’t a bad man. He knew he was worth something but how could she look upon him like he was dirt? He half-walked , half-stumbled down the street, not paying heed to anything nor anyone. It took everything he had to keep the tears from flowing in public. He had to hide. He needed to be away from everything and everyone.

William slipped inside a public livery, taking comfort in a bale of hay. He saw the small journal in his hand. It was the symbol of his inefficiency. It was his heart and it meant nothing to her. With anger and burning tears, he tore his heart to shreds similar to what Cecily had done but minutes ago. He was a Watcher. He was important to the Council. Why was he here sulking like a small child? He had no answers. Perhaps this life wasn’t worth it.

“I came here looking for you. Though I wonder, what possible misfortune has brought such a man to tears?”

Was there someone talking to him? He looked up and furiously wiped salty tears to see a woman addressing him. Was she just a woman? She seemed to be more. As she moved closer, she seemed to peer into his soul.

“Nothing! I just wish to be alone”

“You are more. You have strength, vision, glory. I can give them to you.” She said taking a step towards him.

“Stay away from me. I’ve heard tales of London pickpockets.”


“Don’t need a purse, but your wealth doesn’t lie in gold. It’s in your character, your spirit.”

William was mesmerized by this dark haired beauty that had sought him out. It felt comforting after the harsh torment he had endured by Cecily’s hand.

“I see what you want. Something glowing and glistening. Something... effulgent.”

“Yes… effulgent.”

“I can make the pain go away. Do you want that?”

“Oh yes! God. Yes.”

The young lady looks down for a moment as her face shifted and fangs descended. Her hand that was lovingly placed against his chest now pushed him against the wall with such force. He knew who she was now. He understood the ethereal quality she possessed. Part of him wanted to struggle, to break free from this creature that was to end his life. But what was his life anyway? It meant nothing. The human world did not want him and perhaps it was best if he just faded away.

He felt the sting of fangs pierce his neck and he heard the occasional smacks of her lips against his flesh as she drew his essence into her. So this was what dying felt like. His torment would end. The world that had mocked him will no longer exist for him for he would be dead.

“William! NO!”

That voice. He knew that voice. Helena?

“Release him vampire!” Helena said angrily.

The dark-haired vampire withdrew her fangs and hissed at the Slayer. “You’re too late Slayer. Death will be upon him soon.”

“So will yours!” Helena cried out as she lunged at the vampire with a stake. She fought with purpose and anger. This undead creature had taken her friend away. She liked William. He was always nice to her and never treated her like a child. She rained down punches and kicks against the vampire till she found her opening. She shoved the stake through its heart with such force that the vampire took a few steps back as it crumbled to dust.

She rushed towards William’s side, hoping that maybe it was all a lie and he was far from dying.

“It’s too late for him. He has been drained.” Angel said from the shadows.

“No. It’s not too late. Turn him! Please Angel, turn him!”

“You know I am forbidden to do that.”

“Sod the Council! Do it!”

“He wasn’t meant to survive this.”

“Don’t talk me out of it. You know very well that the Council was going to choose one of their own for the next Vampire Guard.”

“True, but he was not on the list.”

“Not true. I saw the list. He was a candidate. And now I’m making my decision. Turn him!”

“Helena!”

“Angel, turn him now before it’s too late.”

“You best be prepared to dust him if he wakes up deranged.”

Helena nodded solemnly as she moved out of the way. With a strange fascination she watched as Angel slit his wrist and let his blood drip into William’s mouth.
3 - Turning by Thianna
Image hosting by Photobucket



CHAPTER 3 - Turning

Helena sat quietly across the room as she looked at William’s still form on the bed. It would take perhaps another day before he would wake up, but Helena felt that she needed to be here for him.

To say that the Council was furious was an understatement. She had to justify her actions in front of a panel of five Watchers. Each one grilled her on her intent for making Angel turn William. But in the end, she knew they weren’t angry that William was turned. They were angry that she had shown initiative and chose her new Vampire Guard herself. They talked about protocol and the importance of psychological testing, none of which made sense to the Slayer. The Council believed that there was a scientific method that could be used to determine which candidate would be most suited to being a Vampire Guard. But Helena knew that even though William did not posses any fighting prowess, his knowledge and caring attitude would be a huge asset.

She couldn’t deny that perhaps she felt a little guilty for what happened to him, though she would never admit that anybody else. Just days before she told him to muster his courage to tell Cecily that he loved her. She had not witnessed all the events in the party herself, but she was there, incognito of course, and she heard what had happened. She heard the others make fun of William and then heard Cecily’s incessant banter and disgusted tone at how someone like William could even begin to imagine that he was on the same level as her. She ran after him then, but lost him in the crowd and had asked Angel to track him down. They found him, though too late, as the vampire had drained him of his life’s blood. It was at that moment that she decided to change William’s life forever and she hoped that he would not be so cross with her when he awoke.

“Helena, you need your sleep. I’ll watch him for you.” Angel spoke gently.

“I can stay. I want to make sure he’s alright.”

“He will not wake up tonight. Please Helena, you need your strength.”

“Do you think that when he wakes he will hate me?” she asked as she stared at his still form, hoping that he would wake and smile at her.

“I don’t know. But he seemed to care for you in his mortal life. He most probably will care for you in his new one.” Angel didn’t feel the need to enlighten her of his situation. He had killed everyone he knew and loved when he awoke and it would not surprise him if his new child woke up with similar violent tendencies. But Helena had enough on her mind. He just hoped for her sake that she would never find a reason to ever stake William.

**

William’s arms were sore and his stomach was rumbling. How long had he been lying here? Gingerly he opened one eye and was amazed to see that he could see clearly. He must have slept with his spectacles on again. Mother would be cross if he accidentally broke another pair. He liked to read before bed and thus the habit of sleeping with his spectacles. He moved his left hand to scratch the itch on his nose and that was when he realized his wrists where in shackles.

What in the world was going? Where was he? This was not his room. Different scenarios crossed his mind. Perhaps those vagrants that they talked about in the party had taken him. They must have broken into their house. His thoughts went to his mother and he prayed that she was alright. He had to break free. He had to make sure she was alright.

The sound of the chains clanking against each other as he tried to free himself felt deafening in his ears but he didn’t bother himself with wondering why. He had to break free. He had to find his mother. He had to get out of here. He had to be out there. He had to hunt. He had to feed. He was hungry. What should he feed on? Blood his instincts answered him. Need Blood.

“I had a feeling you were awake. Calm down William.”

He turned and saw Angel’s familiar face. “Thank God you are here. Did you take care of those hoodlums? Is Mother alright?”

Angel approached him with his brows furrowed. “I don’t know what you’re talking about William. I’m sorry that we had to chain you but it was for everyone’s safety.”

“You? You did this to me?” He said looking at him straight in the eye. One word came to mind as he looked upon Angel’s face. Sire. “You are my Sire.” He said in disbelief. He knew it to be the truth but the full meaning of it was not sinking into his consciousness.

“Yes William. I am your Sire. You are no longer human. You’re one of us now.”

“One of you?”

“What is the last thing you remember William.”

“I don’t know. It seems all like a blur right now. Well. … There was this woman. Pretty… dark hair… She said she was looking for me. She said she knew what I wanted then she…”

At that moment, Helena entered the room, overtly excited. “William! I’m so glad. You’re awake.” She said running towards the bed and engulfing him a huge hug. “I was so worried.”
William tensed up at her presence.

Without his full knowledge, his face shifted and his arms started to move to hold the Slayer against him tightly. Angel moved quickly, grabbing Helena roughly before it was too late. The newly turned vampire growled in anger at having his prize taken away from him and he pulled against his restraints, clawing air in an attempt to get to the Slayer.

“What’s wrong?”

“You should have known better Helena. He hasn’t fed and the bloodlust is irresistible for a fledgling.”

“Do you think he’ll be able to control it?”

“Eventually. Or else you know what you have to do.”

“Hey, I’ve got something here that should calm the new boy down.” Caden said as he entered the room. The brown haired, green eyed vampire held a bottle of blood in each hand. “Cannot say I want to be him right now. I remember the thirst being unbearable when I was turned almost sixty years ago.” He said as he uncorked one bottle and thrust it into William’s hand.

William drank both bottles hungrily without question. Blood trickled down the sides of his mouth as he lapped up the red liquid. He had a look that bordered between hunger and ecstasy as the sweet elixir filled his body. He was breathing haphazardly despite the fact that it wasn’t at all necessary.

Helena watched in slight horror as she looked at her friend. This was the life she had chosen for him. In a moment of guilt and despair she had turned innocent William into a vampire. How different was he now? Will he prove to be the monster everyone seems to think? Will there ever come a time when she herself would have to destroy him? But deep down she had this feeling that his apparent aggressiveness was what she needed to survive against all the things that bump in the night. There was only one problem. Was William willing to be her Vampire Guard?

**

… three weeks later …

“You calmed down now Will?” Caden said as he dangled the keys to William’s restraints in front of the younger vampire.

“Yes! Now just get these sodding things off!”

“Patience Will. This is for your own good anyway. You should be thankful Helena apparently likes you. If it weren’t for her, you would be dust by now.” He said shoving a bottle of blood in William’s hand.

William just shrugged his shoulders and hungrily drained the bottle dry. “So which cemetery are we going to tonight?”
“Not sure where Helena wants to patrol tonight. I’m thinking that we might visit the posh side of town since we haven’t been there in over a week. Get dressed and I’ll meet you outside in five minutes.”

“Thanks mate.”

William pondered upon his new lease on life … or unlife as the case maybe. He was now a vampire and not just any ordinary vampire either. He ironically was now a Vampire Guard for the Slayer. At first it felt quite unnatural killing your own kind but violence was violence and he knew he craved it. Then again, it was not like they really gave him much of a choice. They told him that he could either join their cause and help fight evil or he could get staked. He knew too much of the inner workings of the Council for them to actually just let him go. It was safe to say, the obvious answer to that question was to join the Vampire Guard. It could have been worse. Helena was nice to him, Caden was a good enough bloke and quite a fighter, and the brooding shadow Angel was tolerable.

He knew that there were only two things that he needed in this world … blood and a spot of violence. But since he was only weeks old, he was still having a hard time controlling himself. He was curious about the taste of human blood. Part of him knew it was wrong to crave it but the demon inside him usually screamed for it. So, the others had decided to restrain him while he slept and he wasn’t to be released until it was time for patrol.

Just as Caden predicted, Helena wanted to go to the nicer part of town. The idea of walking down the familiar cobblestone streets brought back memories of his mother. He had been so absorbed in his new life that he hadn’t really thought about his old one. He did ask once about his Mother. Helena’s watcher, Robert, assured him that she was alright. When was that? At the realization that that was perhaps almost two weeks ago, William felt guilt and vowed that somehow tonight he was going to find a way to visit her.
4 - Retribution by Thianna
Author's Notes:
Please be warned that a part of this chapter is pretty violent. Not really descriptive in the sense that its blow per blow violent, but there’s the imagery.
Image hosting by Photobucket


**



CHAPTER 4 - Retribution


William had his arms crossed against his chest as he leaned against a tree watching Helena, Angel and Caden fighting a small pack of werewolves.

“William, are you just going to watch all night long?” Angel called out.

“Vampire Guard in training,” he said with a smirk.

“Training involves actually doing something not staring at the stars.”

“Seems like you don’t need me right now. ‘m sure the three of you can handle this.”

Angel turned around to avoid getting hit. With a loud growl he slipped into demon visage and attacked the werewolf that had lunged at him.

William shook his head and slipped quietly away, leaving the Slayer and her two vampire bodyguards to handle patrol by themselves. He had to see his mother. He had to personally let her know that he was fine. He didn’t want her to think that he had abandoned her.

He stuck his hands in his coat pockets and walked down a familiar street. It felt the same and different at the same time. With his heightened senses he could hear everything that was going on and was amazed at all the little underhanded business that was being conducted in the middle of the night that he never knew about before.

He stopped right in front of his house and smiled as he picked up his mother’s sweet scent. He took another deep breath before walking up to the door and using the knocker.

“Yes? Who is it? ... Oh, Master William. I didn’t think you’d be coming ‘ome today.”

“That’s quite alright, Mary. I did not exactly send word that I would be stopping by.”

“May I take your coat, sir?”
He nodded as he slipped the coat from his shoulders and handed it to the young woman.

“You’re mother is in the study with Mrs. ...”

“Mrs. Connelly.” He finished for her.

Mary gave him a puzzled look. “ ’ow did you know that it was Mrs. Connelly, Master William?”

“Oh, uhm … well I can smell her perfume.”

“From o’er ‘ere sir? I can’t smell anything.”

“Lucky guess?”

“If you say so, sir.”

William made his way to the study. He knocked on the door gently before opening it.“Hello, Mother.”

“Oh, William! I’m so glad you’re home.” She stood up and walked over to her son with outstretched arms. “I have been so worried about you these past few weeks. Jonathan told me that you just had so much work to do.”

He took her hand and kissed it. “Please forgive me Mother. I didn’t mean to make you worry so.”

“That’s quite alright dear. The important thing is you’re home. You will be spending the night, yes?”

“Sorry Mother. I just can’t.” he said sadly. In truth, the idea of spending the night in his old room was alluring but he knew better.

“That is such a shame, but I guess it cannot be helped though I think they work you too much, dear. Oh, I do worry about you so. I just wish you were married. I would feel so much better if I knew someone was taking care of you.”

“Now Mother, you know you are all I need.”

“Such a sweet sweet boy.” She said, cupping his cheek tenderly.

“Yes he is. Though I must say I’m surprised that you did not at the very least attend the gathering over by the train station tonight dear.” Mrs. Connelly finally said.

“The train station, madame?”
“Why yes. My dear Edward had been fortunate enough to close a deal with the local railroad company and to celebrate he rented out three train cars for a party. I was quite certain that he invited all you younger ones to the gathering.”

“I’m sure he did not forget Mrs. Connelly. I just have been very busy with work as of late. Well, Mother I must keep this short. I just remembered that there was something I needed to attend to.”

“Will you not stay and at least eat something? You look awfully pale and thin dear.”

“I’ll be fine Mother. I’ll find something to eat on my way back. Please don’t worry.” He said planting a kiss on her forehead. “Now if you would excuse me.”

William walked out of the study and headed for the coat closet to get his coat himself. He really wanted to stay for a while longer but there was a certain gathering that he had to attend.

He walked with speed and purpose all the way to the train station. Memories of that fateful night replayed over and over in his head and the demon inside wanted retribution. He let his senses guide him – picking out smells and noises until he found what he was looking for. He stood outside the train cars for a moment and let his eyes scan the crowd of people that were laughing and enjoying themselves. He shifted restlessly and his boot hit something on the ground. He looked down quickly to see what it was and a mischievous smile crossed his lips as he picked it up. It was a railroad spike and he knew just what to do with it.

**


The once pristine and glamorous train cars were now a horrific scene of dead bodies and blood. William still held the railroad spike tightly in his left hand but it was no longer covered in dirt and dust. He had bathed it in blood till even his hand was slick with the viscous liquid. This was the first time he had tasted humans and it was the most delicious thing he had ever sampled in his life. Whatever it was that the Council had been feeding him was like dishwater compared to human blood. It was warm and sweet. His chest was heaving up and down and his eyes were now half closed as he replayed in his head the scene he created but moments ago. It was then that his senses picked out one heartbeat still remaining. He let his senses guide him to the heartbeat’s owner. He knew that scent well. It was his reason for rebirth, cowering like a frightened child underneath a table. He tucked the spike behind his back and let his demon mask melt away as he bent down to his knees.

“Cecily?”

The woman turned to him with frightened eyes. “Wi…William?”

“Yes, it’s me.” He said offering her his right hand – his clean hand.

“Is that dreadful monster gone? How did you escape?”

“Yes Cecily, he’s gone. As for how I was able to escape, I was knocked unconscious. He must have mistaken me for dead. Come let me at least help you up.”
She hesitated at first but took his hand.

“Don’t look Cecily. It’s quite dreadful.” He said, pulling her close to him.

“Oh William. We must flee immediately.” She said finding a little comfort in his arms.

“I don’t know. I kind of like it here. You’re in my arms.”

“Oh please, this is quite inappropriate.”

“No, I find it somewhat ironic. It’s funny that you would refuse the love of a man but so easily would wrap your arms around a … what was it you called that creature that did this? A monster?”

“Now you’re being preposterous. Whatever are you talking about?” she said pulling away from him.
William let his eyes peruse her body openly as he licked his lips causing Cecily some form of embarrassment. He took a step forward and reached out to caress her cheek. “I wanted you. All I thought about was you.”

“William. Please. … ”

“Yet I can tell this time around you’re intrigued. Shouldn’t you be running away from me now? Shouldn’t you be running away from the man that you claim was beneath you?! Do you still feel that way Cecily?” he said raising one eyebrow seductively.

“Uhm… I…”

“I wanted you. You were radiant.” Then he chuckled. “You were bloody effulgent.” And with that said he clamped his right hand tightly around her neck. Blue eyes burned yellow and the monster that he was came forth.

Cecily’s eyes widened in terror. “You?! But …”

“Seeing you ‘ere now, I wonder what I ever saw in you. Though I guess I should be bloody thanking you some ‘ow for turning me into what I am.” He said finally revealing the railroad spike he had hidden earlier.

“What are you going to do me?”

“Thought about actually draining you. But that’s too kind of a punishment. ‘sides, wouldn’t want to ‘ave to actually press my lips against your skin.”

She shook with fear and her eyes never left the spike that he was now twirling casually in his left hand.

“I think it is fitting.” He said following her gaze. “Everyone did say my poetry was so painful to hear. Of course Edward experienced that first hand. Never thought the human skull was so fragile.” He said laughing sadistically.

“Is that what you’re going to do to me?”

“Not really. You see, it wasn’t really my poetry that you scoffed at.” And in one swift move he pushed her down onto a table and jammed the railroad spike into her heart. The look of shock on her face was precious and the demon inside him was overjoyed at killing this obnoxious woman.

“WILLIAM!”

The young vampire quickly turned around to see Helena look at him in horror. Caden and Angel took a protectively stance before her.

“What have you done?” Helena asked and she was surprised that her voice didn’t crack. All these people were dead and it was her fault they had died.

“They got what was coming to them.”

Angel rushed him and picked him up by his shirt. “Are you insane?! I should stake you right here and now.”

“Bloody want to see you try mate.”

“You’re a Vampire Guard! We don’t kill innocents.”

“They were ‘ardly innocent in my opinion. And when was the last time you tasted fresh ‘uman blood?”

“A while and I don’t care for it.”

“That’s because you’ve got that sodding soul in you. I don’t have one. I don’t need one. I think tonight was quite liberating, don’t you? Got me to work out some issues.”

“This isn’t a game William.”

“Spike.”

“What?!”

“The name is Spike.”

“Well you won’t be using that name much longer because I’m ending it tonight.”

“Wait, Angel. Don’t!” Helena cried out.

“Helena, you cannot be serious?!”

“I know this is wrong. I’m the Slayer. It’s my destiny to fight these things. Don’t you think I know that this is wrong?! But … but killing William now isn’t going to bring any of these people back. We need him Angel. I just have this feeling that we really need him.”

“No we don’t. Caden and I can do the job of protecting you ourselves.”

“I’m not saying that this is right, but a part of me can’t really blame him. I know what it’s like to be different, to be an outsider. We all do, right? We can help him. We can still save him.”

“He’s not that William anymore. He’s not the Watcher you knew. He’s evil!”

“So were you at one time!”

Angel reluctantly let Spike go.

“That’s mighty kind of you Sire.” He said mockingly.

Angel narrowed his eyes then rushed his child pinning him against the side of the train car. He formed a fist and forcefully punched Spike in the stomach. As Spike clutched his stomach and tried to remain standing, Angel leaned over to whisper into his ear. “I didn’t do it for you William! I did it for Helena. If the Council found out about this, they would have her killed without question.”

Spike looked at the Slayer who was now finding comfort in Caden’s arms. She didn’t cry but there was pain in her eyes. He could tell she was blaming herself for the deaths he had orchestrated. He never intended to cause her any pain. He just wanted to destroy a painful memory and in that selfish act he had put the Slayer’s life on the line. He was a Vampire Guard. His sole responsibility was to protect the Slayer and though she was still alive and breathing, he had somehow failed miserably. He had to apologize. He wasn’t going to apologize for the deaths he just caused. He didn’t feel guilty about that. He felt guilty that he made Helena cry. He guessed that that didn’t really make any sense but all he understood at the moment was that Helena was sad and he caused it.

**

… three weeks later …

The sun was casting its orange light across the horizon as it set once more to usher in the black night. Spike wasn’t sure how many days he had been in this cave but it seemed like he had been there forever. They had him chained up all hours of the day and though the cave was fairly large, he only had a few feet at his disposal to roam.

He heard footsteps approaching and he knew for a fact that it was Caden before the older vampire’s face came into view.

“So how my favorite little vampire doing tonight?”

“Very humorous Caden. ‘ow much longer are you guys going to keep me up ‘ere? It’s been out of my system for days.”

“You caused a lot of trouble for us Wi ... I mean Spike. You’re lucky that they bought it when Angel said that this family of vampires we’ve been tracking for a while caused all that mayhem.”

“Whatever …” Spike said taking the bottle Caden was offering.

“Absolutely no remorse for what you did huh?”

“Why? Should I? ‘onestly Caden, I felt free for once in my life.”
The brown haired vampire sighed softly. “I know how you feel Spike. It’s the demon inside us. It takes a lot of control and years of discipline to make peace with it. But it’s not impossible. The real question each of us has to ask ourselves is what we plan to do with the second chance that was given to us.”

“I understand why the poofter does it -- protect the Slayer. It’s because of that sodding soul of his. But I don’t have one and neither do you. Why did you agree to fight alongside the Slayer?”

“Aside from the perks?” he said laughing. “There are many reasons I guess. I mean I don’t feel like I owe the world or anything and I’ve done my fair share of chaos and destruction in my younger years. But there was this girl. … “

“I should ‘ave known. A bloody bint is usually the reason for everything.”

“Shush! … I’m talking here. Got smitten by this lovely young lass. Dark brown hair … hazel eyes… sweet… caring. Guess I was crazy thinking of her the way I did, instead of how we should act I mean. We’re demons through and through. I don’t pretend to be anything else. But she got me. And maybe for that one brief moment in my unlife, I actually felt happy. It wasn’t the same as the satisfaction of feeding. It was better. I felt content like nothing else in the world mattered.”

“So what changed?”

“Vampires … a group of them … They killed everyone in the village. No, killed would be putting it mildly. Let’s just say her death opened my eyes to what our kind was truly capable off.” He chuckled slightly. “I know it sounds pathetic or maybe it doesn’t really make any sense but I wanted to do something about it … do something different. If I did something then, maybe she would have survived.”

“To what? She’s mortal Caden. Would you ‘ave turned ‘er then?”

“That’s not the point.” He said thwacking Spike behind his head. “I still wonder how you became a Watcher. Is there any part of William still in there?”
Spike growled. “What? That ponce? You ‘ave got to be joking.”

“Was just a question Spike.” He said moving towards him to free him from his restraints. “You do not need to get all agitated over it. Remember, I’m on your side.”
Spike rubbed his sore wrists. “Don’t make me laugh Caden. Do we even belong to any side? We’re vampires but we’re protecting a vampire slayer.”

“You had no qualms before oh dear Vampire Guard.”
Spike growled back. “Didn’t really ‘ave a choice in the matter. It was either protect ‘er or be staked.”

“Is it really that bad? Honestly?”
Spike wasn’t exactly going to admit that the older vampire spoke true. Helena had risked a lot by protecting him and that in itself was reason enough to endure his current fate. It really wasn’t bad as Caden had pointed out. There was violence, free blood and he was getting paid on top of that. Of course this would be the first time he’d be out in … “How long again has it been since he’d been outside?” he thought when a shirt hit him in the head. He caught the shirt with his right hand before it fell to the cave floor. He shot Caden an evil look.

“Fresh shirt. We don’t want to scandalize the ladies out there.” He said which a slight chuckle. “Now hurry up. Helena and Angel are waiting.”

**


Once he stepped outside, he could already sense Angel leaving. That suited him just fine. It wouldn’t exactly be kind to Helena if they started bickering right then and there. There was just something about him that he didn’t like, even when he was human. Helena smiled as he drew closer.

“So where are we off to pet?”

“Actually nowhere. Angel will be going on patrol today.”
He raised an eyebrow questioningly.

“There are a lot of things that need to be said between us but I don’t think words are really right. Words can get misinterpreted. So we’re going to do something we both understand.” She said with a small smile as she curled her hand into fists.

Spike turned to look at Caden. “Wot’s gotten into the Slayer.”

“Not my idea Spike. Was actually Robert’s idea.”

“Robert? Where is that wanker of a Watcher anyway?”

“Didn’t exactly set you free to hear you talk all night Spike. Or is it that you’re afraid of me?”

“Wot?! Look Helena. I appreciate everything you’ve done so far but you don’t need to be attacking me.”

“Haven’t even moved an inch vampire! Come on I’m getting sleepy. You were more fun when you were teaching Latin.”

With a raise of his eyebrow, Spike shifted into his demon mask and lunged at the Slayer. “You’re asking for it.” He said knocking her down.

“And you’ve got a lot to learn.” She placed her hand on his face and pushed him back. Spike was flung a few feet away while Helena did a flip then a cartwheel using the momentum to kick him in the chest.
Spike grinned when he caught her foot then pushed back to throw her off balance. He waited till she got back on her feet and then they exchanged blows. Slayer and vampire continued their dance while Caden watched lazily against a tree.

Spike was impressive as a fighter especially since he had seen him when he was still human. It seemed virtually impossible that just a month ago, he hated anything that wasn’t considered proper in society. He was quite the introvert and now he was a weapon – a dangerous one at that. The world was lucky that this vampire had sworn his allegiance to the Slayer. If left unchecked, he could be one of the most evil creatures that ever existed. Caden understood the spirit within the younger vampire. He knew Spike craved the violence just as much as the blood. The incident three weeks ago was proof enough of that. His actions then were uncalculated and driven by pure emotion. How much chaos and destruction could he be capable of if he actually focused his energies? Caden just hoped that the world would never find out.

“You’re dead Slayer!” Spike had his head bent towards Helena’s neck as he held her tightly.

“Maybe, but you’re still dust!” she retorted and sure enough, if she had a stake in her right hand he would have been. Though she was still imprisoned in his embrace she had twisted her body just enough that a stake could be shoved to his chest if enough force was applied.

“There’s no bloody way you’d be able to pull that off for real!” Spike said letting her go.

“Can too.”

“’ell no!”

“Caden!”

“Don’t look at me Helena.”

“See! I win, pet. Ready for round two?”

“Beginner’s luck!”

“Sure, luv. Sure.”

Caden just gave them another whimsical smile. It seemed like Helena’s watcher guessed right. This was what they both needed. Spike needed an outlet for his violence and Helena needed to understand Spike’s true nature. She needed to see that he was no longer the same William who had been her friend and tutor. He was now a demon. But Caden knew the truth behind the watcher’s suggestion. Two instincts rule a vampire’s action when faced with a Slayer – kill or run. Spike was not the type of vampire to run from anything or anyone. To be a Vampire Guard, the demon inside needed to be controlled and reason should rule over instinct. This little sparring session was actually a trial of sorts. If Spike loses to his instincts, Helena was ordered to destroy him right then and there no questions asked. However, Helena was under the trial as well. If Spike harms her and she does nothing then Caden was ordered to dispose of them both.

The older vampire smiled again watching the sparring session in front of him. He was thankful that they seemed to be getting along well and that his hands wouldn’t be stained with slayer blood tonight.

**
A/N: Hope you guys enjoy this pretty long update. Thanks to everyone who have reviewed so far. Thanks to Elizabeth Anne Summers for all the support.
5 - Chosen One by Thianna
Image hosting by Photobucket


**


CHAPTER 5 – Chosen One


… Christmas 1880…

Snow and dust rained upon the Slayer and her guards as they made their way through their nightly routine. As always, Angel was in front while Caden and Spike acted as flank.

Spike had noticed that something was different tonight. It felt like Helena did not have her heart into the fight. He stole a quick glance to make sure she was okay before fending of the next vampire that decided he was better than the Slayer and her guards. Her moves were not as sharp and her arms seemed like lead when she threw her punches. Something was definitely wrong. With a growl, Spike disposed of the vampire in front of him. Then he rushed over to the Slayer’s side.

“You’re a little sloppy today Helena.” Spike said, catching the fist of a vampire that was aiming for her stomach. But instead of pushing him away as the fledgling was expecting, he pulled him in toward Helena’s direction where she had a stake at the ready. Dust rained down on them and Spike now knew for a fact that something was definitely wrong when she didn’t even make a move to dust herself off.

“Angel! Caden! I’m taking Helena home.” He announced to the other two. “Come on, luv. Don’t think you should be patrolling anymore tonight.”

“Straight home Spike!” Angel called out as he disposed of the last of the demons.

“Whatever Poofter!”

Caden just shook his head.


Helena and Spike walked side by side in silence. He wanted to ask her what was on her mind but thought it best to wait till she was ready to tell him. The streets were filled with Christmas decorations and lights. There were plenty of people still on the streets. Children were laughing as they held on to their parents hands and pointed at the different toys and sweets displayed in various shop windows.

Helena let out an almost inaudible sigh. “Do you ever think about it Spike?”

Spike tilted his head with a puzzled look on his face. “Don’t think I follow you, pet.”

“That.” She said pointing to a happy family walking down the street. It was the typical English family of the time -- father, mother and two children, all holding hands and obviously enjoying the holidays despite the cold weather.

“I did, once. Well, maybe I still do, once in a while, especially since Mother is still alive. Why do you ask?”

“I’ll never have that will I?”

“You never know, luv.”

She shook her head. “You don’t need to be nice Spike. The longest a Slayer’s ever lived after being called is three years. I’m near that mark. I can’t help but think that it’s coming.”

“Nonsense. Only reason the other Slayer’s didn’t last as long is because they didn’t ‘ave me.” He said waggling his eyebrows.

She giggled a tiny bit. “Thanks Spike but you don’t need to cheer me up. I am not afraid. Just have lots of regrets I guess.”

“Bah! … Children are just a pain, crying and whining and what not.”

“Oh you mean like you?!”

“’ey. Watch it Slayer.”

She smiled up at him warmly. “You’re right Spike. I should go home. I’m tired.”
Spike just nodded but there was something in the way she said that last sentence that made him worry.


**

… a few nights later …

Snow covered the ground and holiday decorations still adorned a few of the shops that lined the main streets of London. Though majority of the people that were still on the streets seemed filled with the holiday spirit, three figures all clad in black slipped through the city with silent determination. One of them carried a limp form in his arms. They entered the Council grounds without so much as a greeting to anyone else. They headed for the main hall in the hopes of finding one particular Watcher. Sure enough, Robert was where he always was at this hour. He was waiting in one of the many studies for his ward to come home. As the door opened, he stood up and was more than ready to greet his Slayer with a smile and a hug, but the sight he saw made him fall to his knees. Spike laid Helena’s cold body on the floor. He stayed by her side for a moment, remembering the Slayer that had in a way made him who he was today.

“How did … ?” The Watcher managed to ask as tears started streaming down his cheeks.
Caden spoke up and retold the events of that night and as Spike listened he replayed them in his head as well.



It was a pair of demons that fed on children. They had been tracking the pair for some time now. They were called Remover demons. Well that really wasn’t what they were called but it was the closest translation to an English word that Spike could think of. Despite all his complaining and whining two nights ago, he did actually help out with the research. He intended on doing it anyway but it was always a joy to see Angel get a little riled up.

Remover demons had wings and the group had to follow the pair on foot. Tonight their target was a small orphanage near the outskirts of town. The group followed the demons quietly. They slipped into the orphanage but then quickly split up when they saw each demon go to a different floor. Helena and Spike went to the upper level while Angel and Caden followed the demon through the first floor.

The creature moved quickly. By the time Helena and Spike reached the demon it had already claimed its first victim. It was one of the adults that ran the facility. The demon was smart enough to have disposed of the one person that could have hindered its feeding. Helena knew she had to act before it found any of the children. She ran and grabbed the demon by its wings flinging it away a few feet. The demon hit the wall with a loud thud.

Spike heard some of the children rousing from their sleep because of the noise. Helena shot him a look and Spike nodded in understanding. Sure enough, a door creaked open and a little girl stepped out sleepy eyed. Spike blocked the little girl’s view.

“What’s going on?”

“Nothing to worry about ‘ere Nibblet.” Spike said. “You go on back to bed.”

“Who are you?”

“I’m a friend Nibblet. Now be a good little girl and go on back to bed.”

“But? … But?” The little girl knew something was up and was trying to see past Spike’s coat.

“Listen to Spike now and go back to bed.” He said ushering the girl back into the room. He hoped to get her settled down before another child decided to become curious as well. He already felt three more children waking up while four other girls sat up in their bed looking frightened.

“What’s going on? … I’m scared. … Is it the boogeyman? …” The girls were whimpering now and he didn’t know how to calm them down. He heard another crash out in the hallway accompanied by a loud screech and he was getting more and more worried about Helena. He turned and was ready to open the door when he felt small arms wrap around his leg.

“I’m scared. I know something’s out there.”

Spike wanted to say otherwise but it was really hard to cover up the fight outside when there was another loud crash. He bent down and smiled at the little girl.

“Everything’s going to be alright. Your guardian angels are with you tonight so you don’t need to worry. Now you stay in ‘ere and go back to bed. Ok Nibblet?”

The little girl shook her head. “If you leave, then the bad thing outside will get me.”

Spike sighed in frustration and did his best not to just scare these girls himself back to bed. Maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad idea but he convinced his demon out of it knowing that it would not help things if he ended up with a couple of crying little girls. He took a deep breath and knelt down before the girl. “The bad thing outside won’t be able to get in ‘ere because I’m going to stop it.”

“You promise?”

“Only if you go back to bed right now.”

The little girl bit her lower lip nervously but nodded and started to make her way back to her bed. Spike rushed outside just in time to see Helena drive a stake home into the demon’s chest.

Helena knew that a stake through the heart would not be kill the demon but she was hoping that it would slow it down so that she could get a chance to break its neck. The Remover extended its wings and flew up to the ceiling. It grasped the stake and removed it. Demon blood and stake fell to the floor. Helena looked up at it with an icy glare while the demon screeched back in anger. It then lunged at her and Spike put himself in between the Slayer and the demon. He grinned wildly, happy to finally be in a fight. But it was obviously not interested in the vampire. The two demons exchanged blows but the Remover was trying its best to find a way to attack the Slayer. Spike made sure to keep it away from Helena while he looked for an opening to break the demon’s neck.

Helena stood guard by the children’s door hoping that Spike had calmed the children down. Then she heard movement behind the door and it creaked open. The same little girl that came out earlier stepped into the hall once more.

“He’s real. I’m not dreaming. I saw my guardian angel. See!” She said arguing with another child as she pointed towards Spike.

Helena afforded a little giggle knowing that the vampire would hate himself being called a little girl’s guardian angel.

The other girl’s eyes grew bigger and she took another step forward. Helena moved to stop the girls from going any further. “Are you a guardian angel too?” the girl said looking up at Helena making the Slayer smile warmly.

Just then Spike was flung against the wall beside the children’s door. “Bloody ‘ell!” He quickly picked himself up but before he could take another step, he felt a sharp pain near his shoulder. He looked up to see that the demon had extended its claws and embedded them into his left shoulder. He tried to break free but the demon stepped closer and dug deeper into his flesh. With a malicious smile, it extended its other claw to aim at one of the little girls. Helena moved quickly and shielded the children, the Remover’s claw digging deep into her chest.

Rage took over as the smell of Slayer blood filled the air and Spike let his demon come out. With a feral growl he pulled the embedded claw away then rushed the demon pummeling it with kicks and punches. Then he twisted his body and caught the demon’s head from behind and twisted it with a loud satisfying snap. He didn’t even wait for the limp body to fall to the floor as he made his way to Helena’s side. The children were crying now but Spike was doing his best to ignore their wailing.

“It stings to breath Spike.”

“Don’t move too much. I’ll go get ‘elp, pet.”

“No. Don’t leave. Please don’t leave me alone.”

“Helena?”

“I’m sorry.”

“Sorry for what pet?”

“For … for making that choice for you. For ... for… changing your existence.”

“There’s nothing to forgive, pet.”

Spike felt Caden coming up the stairs but he didn’t bother to acknowledge the other vampire’s presence. The older vampire just shook his head solemnly and went to calm the children down.

“It’s time Spike. I’m so tired. ”

“No. You’ve got to fight it.”

“Been fighting for so long. Just want to sleep … and dream.”


**

The Slayer that had made a Watcher into a vampire was now sleeping. She was now free from her destiny. Spike took one last look at this Slayer and gave her cold hand one final squeeze. Angel and Caden were waiting outside and with a nod Spike left the room to give her watcher time to grieve.

“Pack your things Spike. We’re leaving.” Angel said with a stern voice.

“Leaving? We can’t leave.”

“They’re sending us to Switzerland.”

Spike looked at Caden to see if there was any truth in what his sire just said. The brown-haired vamp just nodded solemnly. “We can’t leave. Helena just died and …”

“Exactly. That Slayer’s dead. Our obligation is no longer to her.”

“You have got to be sodding kidding me.”

“It’s our job Spike. The next one has been Chosen. We have to protect her now. You know that.”
6 - The New Slayer by Thianna
Image hosting by Photobucket


**



CHAPTER 6 – The New Slayer


A/N: Some dialogue taken from BTVS the Movie.


… 1996 ...



The years pass and the world moves on. Slayers are called one by one and each girl fulfills her calling in her own way. The Slayer fights night after night and whether it be by her side or in the shadows, her guards are there to protect her.


“You know Merrick doesn’t like it when you read through ‘is diary.” Spike called from across the room at a dark haired vampire hunched over a hard bound journal.

“How would you know that ceffo?”

“Did it once a few months ago. Almost got a stake in the ‘eart for it.”

The dark haired vampire gave him a questioning look. “If you ask me he messed up since he let you live!”

“Oi! Don’t forget who saved your ass almost a century ago, Nikolai.”

“How can I forget? He was obnoxious, brash, uncoordinated, loud-mouthed, quite irritating, a faccia di culo… Oh and I forgot … no fashion sense.”

“Wot?! Faccia di culo? ‘‘ey I look good.”

“Now you do because you finally listened to me. If it wasn’t for me, you’d still have that duster locked up somewhere most probably being eaten by moths.”

“ey!”

“What did go on between you and Nikki Wood?”

“Wot the ‘ell are you talking about? There was nothing going on between me and ‘er.”

“I don’t know. The two of you were always sneaking out to do some private sparring.” Nikolai said raising his eyebrows suggestively.

“Please! Get your ‘ead out of your ass.’

“And would the two of you stop bickering like a couple of children.” Caden said coming out of his room still sleepy eyed. “Merrick back yet?”

“No. He said he was going to contact the ragazza today. So depending on how she takes the news, it might take him a while.” Nikolai replied.

“And Angel?”

“Peaches left less than ‘alf an ‘our ago. Said something about checking the city out. Damn Poofter wouldn’t even let me go with him.”

“Since when did you like recon and with Angel no less?” Niko asked.

“Since we’ve been bloody cooped up in ‘ere for almost a week. I need to kill something.”

“Patience was never your strong suit was it Spike? Once Merrick gets this Slayer up to speed you’ll get your chance.”

“So what was this bird’s name again? Buffy something?” Spike asked.

“Buffy Anne Summers.” Niko replied.

“Buffy… what kinda of a name is Buffy?”

“Well sure sounds better than Randolf!” Niko laughed.


**


A middle-aged man in a gray tweed suit by the name of Merrick slowly approached a teenaged girl as she stepped out of the school building and bid goodbye to her friends.
“I’m looking for you.” Merrick said matter-a-factly.

The girl looked at him cautiously. “Why? Am I in trouble or something?” Buffy Anne Summers said trying to maintain her composure.

“My name is Merrick and I was sent here to find you.”

“Me? Uhm… why would you be looking for me?”

“I’m here to bring you … your birthright.”

“Ooooh… that’s like a trust fund right?” She asked hopefully. “I could use the money. I’ve been so busy with cheerleading that I haven’t had enough time in the mall lately.”

Merrick let out a small sigh. This wasn’t going to be as easy as he thought. By the way she was talking she wasn’t much of a girl of reasoning. Perhaps it would be easier to let her see for herself what she could do. “You have to come with me. You must come with me to the graveyard.”

“The graveyard?” she said taking a step back.

“You don’t understand. You are the Chosen One.”

“Chosen One? Chosen to do what?”

“You are a Slayer, Buffy. You have been chosen to protect this world against demons and vampires.”

“Okay. I’m like wigging out here. You stay away from me. Vampires and demons aren’t real. That’s just stuff for the movies.”

“Did you ever dream that you were someone else? Maybe a girl from a different time and place? A princess? A slave?”

“How did you … ?”

“Come with me and you’ll understand.”


**

Buffy pulled her coat tighter around herself wondering what made her trust this older man. What was she doing here? It was way passed sunset and she was sitting in a graveyard beside a fresh grave with a middle-aged man. “Wait and watch he says.” Buffy mumbles as she looks over at the stake and cross she had in each hand. She tried to amuse herself with trying to look for something interesting about the stake. Then she saw a hand emerge from the fresh grave and she squealed in fear.

A fledgling vampire pulled himself out of the grave and grinned upon seeing his first potential meal. Buffy watched in horror as she tried to push the lump that had formed in her throat. Then another pair of hands reached out for her and she realized that something was coming out of the grave she had been sitting on.

Merrick saw the look of terror on his charge’s face and he pulled a stake from his coat pocket and attacked the first fledgling. Buffy screamed and scrambled to stand as she watched a female fledgling this time.

“What do I do? What do I do?” Buffy screamed.

“Stake… through … the … heart!” Merrick said as he continued to fight.

Buffy quickly looked at the stake in her right hand. The female fledgling made her way towards her, fangs barred and eyes burning yellow. The young Slayer backed up, unsure of what to do when she tripped and fell flat on her back. The vampire was on her quickly and it was only luck that she had the cross up since she was trying to shield her face. The vampire growled angrily at the pain. Moving quickly, Buffy plunged the stake into the vampire’s chest and it exploded into a cloud of dust.

She looked up to see a similar cloud of dust before Merrick as well.

“Was that what I think it was?” She said in disbelief.

Merrick nodded solemnly. “Now do you understand?”

“This can’t be happening.”

“You are the Chosen One Buffy.”

“No… I can’t …” she stopped in mid-sentence as her senses seemed to tingle. She felt something similar when the first vampire appeared but she dismissed it as just a muscle sore because of the cheerleading practice earlier. She looked around but saw nothing. This was just all too strange and she didn’t want it.

“I’m not this Chosen One. Choose someone else.” She said running away.

Merrick watched her with a loud sigh. He knew that she most probably needed some time to process everything.

“Looks like you have your work cut out for you.” Angel said revealing himself from behind a tree.

“I know. But there’s something about her. She will be a great Slayer if she just accepts her destiny.”

“We have other problems.”


**
Merrick and Angel returned to the warehouse to find the other three guards thankfully not at each other’s throats. Caden was reading a book. Nikolai was practicing some moves while Spike was drowning his lust for violence with a bottle of Jack Daniels.

“And so Yoda and Obi-wan ‘ave returned.” Spike quipped.

Angel shot him an icy glare.

“So can we go out and play now Daddy?” Spike said making Niko chuckle.

“Unfortunately, no. Angel has confirmed something that I hoped wasn’t true.” Merrick said looking for Angel to continue.

“Lothos.”

“Lothos?” Caden said finally looking up from his book.

“I didn’t see him exactly but I saw Amilyn in town and the two fledglings that Merrick and Buffy dusted tonight smelled like him.”

“So he’s creating minions to take the town over.” Niko replied.

“The bloody ponce most probably wants enough minions to overwhelm the Slayer then ‘e’ll make ‘is move. So that means we ‘ave to go out there and thin their numbers, right?” Spike asked hopefully.

“But we have to be discrete. And that goes especially for you two.” Angel said pointing a finger at both Spike and Niko.

“Whatever you say.” Niko replied but the grin both he and Spike were wearing didn’t comfort Angel at all.


A/N:
Meanings: taken from online dictionary …
faccia di culo – butt ugly
ceffo - jerk

Nikolai is a new vampire guard that joined them around the turn of the century
7 - Meeting Buffy by Thianna
Image hosting by Photobucket


**


CHAPTER 7 – Meeting Buffy

A/N: Some dialogue taken from BTVS the Movie…
Oh and last chapter Niko said ragazza which means girl in Italian.



… the next day …

Merrick waited patiently for Buffy to finish her cheerleading practice. Thankfully she had stayed behind doing some extra stretches as the other cheerleaders left the field. He approached her.

Buffy groaned as she glanced to her left and saw the middle-aged man walking towards her. “Look, I don’t really like need this. Like, I have enough problems already you know. Find some other girl and leave me alone.”

“I’m sorry Buffy. This is out of my hands. You are the Slayer.”

“No. I’m a teenager. I’m a cheerleader. I don’t need to be worrying about vampires or saving the world.”

Merrick sighed softly as he knew that perhaps there would be only one way to convince her. He pulled a knife from his coat discreetly. “Buffy!” he called out to her as he threw the knife at her face.

Buffy didn’t know what happened but instinct took over and she caught the knife just inches from her nose. “What the … ?! What in the world is wrong with you? You threw a knife at my head!”

“And you caught it.” Merrick said proudly.

“You. Threw. A. Knife. At. My. Head!” she said, taking a step forward with each word.

“It was necessary for you to accept your fate.”

Exasperated at the older man’s reply, Buffy curled her right hand into a fist and punched him in the nose, sending the Watcher a few feet back.

“Did I just do that?” She asked in awe. “And look, I didn’t even break a nail.”

Merrick gingerly picked himself up, grabbing a handkerchief from his coat pocket to stop his nose from bleeding.

“You’re the Chosen One. You have powers that you’ve only begun to tap.”


**

… two days later …

Spike knew he wasn’t supposed to be here. Merrick had advised the four of them that they should make themselves scarce while he brought the Slayer to train in the abandoned factory. The Watcher thought that Buffy still wasn’t ready to meet any of them. This wasn’t something new. There had been more than a dozen Slayers through the years that had outright rejected the Vampire Guard. They had stayed in the shadows nonetheless, helping where they could. Of course those Slayers rarely lived passed a year.

Spike was curious though and it had taken over all his reasoning that it was wiser to just do as the Watcher had asked. So he was up in the rafters of the building, watching with quiet fascination at this young Slayer. Her blond hair bounced seductively as she moved and though this was only her second day of training with the Watcher, her moves were surprising crisp and powerful. He found himself wanting to see just how good she was for himself. There was that confidence in her as well that made her seem like she was glowing as she practiced her attacks.

Sweat was making her body glisten in the dying sunlight which made her look all the more lovely in his eyes. Perhaps he was being daft but he just couldn’t tear his eyes away. More than once she would look up as if searching for something and he could have sworn that she was looking right at him.

“Buffy!” Merrick called out. “Concentrate.” He said as he looked at where the stake had landed on the dummy when she threw it.

Buffy giggled when she saw that the stake was planted right where the dummy’s legs met. “Sorry!”

Spike winced in pain and almost lost his balance when he saw what Buffy just did. “Bloody ‘ell!” As soon as the words left his mouth he regretted it.

“I thought you told me we were alone?” Buffy asked crossing her arms across her chest.

Merrick sighed and looked up. “That was what I was led to believe. SPIKE!”

Spike climbed down the rafters and when he was about eight feet from the floor, did a flip and landed on his feet flawlessly. His leather duster gave the landing an added flare. He gave Buffy a once over and he thought to himself that she was definitely a pretty bird. It wouldn’t be so bad fighting alongside this one. He gave her his signature devilish grin, but her reaction wasn’t what he was expecting.

“Please! What’s with the leather? … And like the Billy Idol hair?!” She said taking a step forward. She stretched her hand wanting to touch his hair wondering if it was even real.

Spike instinctively avoided her hand. “Watch it, Slayer.”

“Slayer? How did you?” She thought about it for a second and then mentally slapped herself for being stupid. Merrick obviously knew this 1970’s reject. But wait. He came from the rafters. She knew her senses were picking up something but she couldn’t see anything. If her senses were picking up something then that meant… She quickly took a step back. “You’re … You’re a vampire!”

“Really?! That explains a lot.” Spike said sarcastically.

Buffy grew nervous and took another step back. She bent down and armed herself with a stake.

Spike watched her carefully. “Wouldn’t do that if I were you, pet. Believe it or not I’m on your side.”

“But you’re a vampire. Don’t you like want to eat me?”

Spike restrained himself from agreeing as a lascivious thought entered his mind. “Uhm.. No of course not. Why in the world would I want to sink my teeth into your bloody neck?”

Before Buffy could respond with her own retort Merrick decided to interject. “I guess explanations are in order.” He said giving Spike an icy glare. The bleached blond vampire just shrugged his shoulder and fished for a cigarette and his Zippo.

“Buffy I would like you to meet Spike. As you surmised he is a vampire -- a somewhat annoying vampire at that. He is a Vampire Guard.”

“A what?!”

“A Vampire Guard … a vampire who has sworn his allegiance to the Council to ensure the safety of the Chosen One so that she can fulfill her destiny, yada yada yada…” Spike said with the cigarette still in his mouth.

“Okay. ... So you’re trying to tell me that I’m destined to kill vampires but that I’m suppose to have a vampire following me around on purpose? That so doesn’t make any sense.”

“I know it sounds quite unorthodox but they have been around for over a century and have helped Slayer after Slayer avert numerous disasters.”

“They? You mean they are more of them?”

Merrick let out a sigh and resigned himself to the fact that she was taking this in a whole lot better than he thought. “Yes. There are three more in fact.”

Buffy pouted slightly as she thought about things over. Things have gotten from weird to worse and she was surprised she wasn’t wigging out more about this. She gave Spike another once over. He did seem sort of familiar. Could she have seen him before? … In her dreams maybe? That would make sense if what Merrick told her was true and that the guards have been around for years. If the previous Slayers trusted this vampire and if her Watcher did too, what did she have to lose? She could always stake him later if he became too annoying. “So three more guards, huh? When do I get to meet them?”

“Tomorrow if you like. I was hoping to further your training before introducing them to you, but since you know about them now. … ” He paused and gave Spike an irritated look. “Perhaps you might as well train with them if you think you’re up to it.”

Buffy smiled. “I can take him on.”

“You sure about that, pet?” Spike said before taking another drag of his cigarette.



**
… the next day …

Buffy took in a deep breath and tried to calm her nerves before she opened the door to the abandoned factory. She wasn’t sure why shy was feeling nervous. This shouldn’t be a big deal. She was just meeting her bodyguards. So why did it feel like her stomach was doing back flips over and over again? What if they didn’t like her? What if they thought she wasn’t any good? And then she realized what had been bothering her. All her life she strove to be the best -- to be the most popular. But if you put things into perspective, that was just school. What she was facing now was life or death and these guys have seen a hundred and plus years worth of Slayers. She felt small and insignificant in the scheme of things.

She shook her head trying to clear it. She was the Slayer and they were going to fight by her side. Maybe this wasn’t going to be bad after all. When Merrick told her that she was the Chosen One, it took a while for the notion to really sink in. Then she heard her parents fighting again and it didn’t help that aside from possibly losing a father, fate had decided that she needed to shoulder a bigger responsibility. At least now she knew she wasn’t going to be alone in this.

Taking another deep breath she finally opened the door and stepped inside. But something seemed wrong. The place was pitch black except for the few windows that let some of the late afternoon sun in because they weren’t blacked out. She tried to listen for some kind of movement but there was only silence. Her heart started beating faster at not knowing what lay ahead of her. Could she have made a mistake and gone into the wrong building? Then her senses started picking something and when she turned to her left to figure out what had triggered her inner alarm system, something rammed into her. She felt the wind knocked out of her as her butt and back hit concrete. She quickly stood up and cursed herself for not having a stake in her hand. She made a mental note to start caring one with her at all times.

She could feel something or someone else moving in the shadows and her senses tried to keep up as she moved to make sure she put some distance between herself and her now two opponents. They were coming closer and she knew that she needed to do something instead of just backing up. She let lessons and instincts guide her as she readied herself for the impending attack.

Sure enough, there were fists coming at her and after the initial shock of being hit in the jaw, she retaliated with her own slew of punches and kicks. She felt something from behind her and instinctively she turned around, reached out to grab her attacker’s arm then twisted her body to throw him a few feet away.

She smiled with satisfaction as she heard the thud and groan that followed. The first attacker came back with a vengeance. They traded a few more blows before a well placed kick sent the other one against the nearby wall. Buffy was relishing in her victory that she didn’t notice someone else approaching her until it was too late. She felt cold arms wrap around her and a faint breath tickle her neck.

“You’re dead luv. Impressive form but always expect that there could be some other nasty just waiting for ‘is or ‘er chance when your bloody guard is down.”

She knew that voice. It was the vampire she met yesterday.

“That’s enough Spike.” She heard Merrick calling from somewhere across the room. A few seconds later, the lights were turned on and Buffy squinted a little at the sudden brightness. She was right. Spike had her imprisoned in his arms while two men were gingerly picking themselves up from the floor.

“You know you can let go now Spike.” Buffy said somewhat annoyed that he was still holding her.

The blond vampire smirked and then released her.

“So care to tell me what’s going on Merrick? You had me worried that something happened to you.”

Merrick smiled at his ward’s concern for his safety. “Well we did say you were to meet the rest of your guards today. I just thought it would be more, uhm … interesting if we did it this way.”

Buffy just crossed her arms across her chest and glared at her Watcher.

“I guess introductions are in order. Spike you already know. We have Caden. ” Merrick gestured to the fairly tall brown haired man to Buffy’s right.

The Slayer looked him over. He was smartly dressed. He looked more like a lawyer or businessman with his slacks, white long sleeved shirt, tie and matching vest. He looked nothing like Spike who was still sporting his pure black ensemble of boots, jeans, tight shirt and leather duster.

“The one beside Caden is Nikolai.” Merrick continued.

Nikolai ran his slender fingers through his loose black curls as he stretched his muscles. If Buffy didn’t know any better, she could have easily mistaken Nikolai as one of the seniors that went to her high school. He had on a pair of jeans and a polo shirt and a pair of black Doc Martins.

“And last but not least we have Angel.” Merrick said shifting his gaze towards the stairs that led to the second floor.

Buffy looked up and couldn’t help the grin that was forming on her face. He was like the picture perfect leading man – tall dark and had that mysterious air to him. He smiled at her warmly when he reached the first floor.

“Hi. So you’re Buffy Summers.” Angel said extending his hand.

“Uhm … yeah ... uhm … That’s my name. … That’s me.” She said sweetly though internally she was cursing herself for sounding stupid.

Spike fished around in his pockets for a smoke as he watched the interaction between Angel and Buffy. She was practically drooling over the bloody ponce. Leave it to a bloody teenager to go bonkers over tall, dark and broody.

Niko made his way towards Spike. “You were right. The regazza’s got some moves.”

“Yeah, and an apparent taste for poofters.”

Niko looked over to see a fairly animated conversation between Angel and Buffy. “No accounting for taste I guess.”
8 - Slayer Blood by Thianna
Image hosting by Photobucket


**

CHAPTER 8 – Slayer Blood


It had been a long day and Buffy didn’t really feel like going home to hear her Mom and Dad at each other’s throats again. So she decided to take a walk. To where she wasn’t sure but she knew she just needed some time to just be.

About half an hour later, she found herself standing in front of the abandoned factory that Merrick and her Vampire Guards called home. She wasn’t sure why she ended up here. Maybe it was just something familiar since she’d been coming here for over a week now. She stepped inside quietly ready for anything but all she could sense was one vampire somewhere in the upper floor. She dropped her backpack on a training mat then headed upstairs to see who was here.

As she rounded the corner of the small landing, she could hear the faint sounds from a television set. She opened the door to the room quietly and found a sleeping Spike sprawled on his bed with only a thin blanket covering his lower half. He looked so peaceful when he slept that she couldn’t believe this was the same annoying vampire that loved violence as much as teasing her. She had fought beside him only twice and found him to be quiet vicious.

Each of the four vampires had their own fighting style. Caden was pretty reserved. He was more a defensive fighter, reserving his powerful attacks for bigger foes. Angel was a little more balanced. He went for the fastest kill but never took risks. Niko and Spike were somewhat similar in that they both seemed to enjoy the fighting and the killing. Twice during patrol she caught Spike toying with a fledgling just to prolong the inevitable.

Buffy often wondered what it would be like if Spike was her enemy and not her guard. She knew the answer to that question. If he was her enemy and she met him now with the limited training that she had, she would be lucky if she survived. Survived. … The other aspect of being a Slayer was starting to sink in. She understood why Merrick kept on pushing her, and why he would often ask one of the four to test her when she least expected it. This fate, this destiny, it was life or death. If she slipped up just once, that could be the end.

“You fancy staring at my backside Slayer?” Spike said somewhat muffled by a pillow.

Buffy quickly turned around and blushed slightly. She should have known he was awake. “No. I was just wondering why a lazy ass vampire was still asleep when the sun had set about half an hour ago.”

Spike said sitting up and running his fingers through his hair. “Actually don’t really have anything to do today, luv. The others must be gone already.”

“Uhm… yeah. No one else is here.”

“Sorry to disappoint you, pet. I’m sure you were looking for Angel.”

“No I wasn’t!” She said defensively. “Just came here to train.”

Spike shrugged and reached over to light a cigarette.

Buffy resisted the urge to turn around and look at him. He was quite cute when he wasn’t being annoying. Those blue eyes always seem so intense when they looked at her, and though she teased him about it constantly, the leather duster did make him look really sexy. ”No. ... Not sexy. Not cute at all. Not like Angel,” she tried to convince herself but there was no denying it really. She had known her guards for a over a week and though Angel attracted her at first, his all business-serious-bordering-on-broody attitude was getting a bit boring. And he seemed a little dry. He was concerned enough about her and pretty protective but no fun at all.

“You needing something, pet?”

She shook her head and rushed out of the room. She headed back downstairs and started to stretch some muscles before starting her work out. A few minutes into her punching bag routine, Spike emerged with a mug of blood but without his duster.

“What’s wrong, Slayer?” he blurted out.

Buffy stopped and looked at him puzzled. “Wrong? What do you mean wrong?”

“I’m asking you what’s wrong. It’s a fairly simple question.” He smirked.

“What makes you think there’s something wrong?”

“You’re not lifting your right arm as much and you’re eyes seem to be looking at something other than the punching bag.”

Her eyes grew that he was able to observe all that in just the few minutes she had been working out. “Ewww. … Do you like watch my every move or something?”

“Part of the job, luv. Part of the job.” He said smugly. “But am I right?”

Buffy sighed. The bleached wonder was right. It felt like her whole world was falling apart. Her parents were fighting everyday now and she knew it was only a matter of time before they got a divorce. Then she found out that she was the Slayer which meant that now her own life was on the line. And since she had been training constantly for over a week now, she was in danger of losing her spot in the cheerleading team. Of course after everything she had seen and learned all the little problems she thought that were big in high school didn’t seem to really matter anymore. But what was really bothering her was that she had this feeling that something really big was coming and Merrick seemed to be tight lipped about what was going on.

“There’s something you guys aren’t telling me.”

“Been nothing but ‘onest with you, pet.”

“I know something’s coming. I can feel it but Merrick won’t say anything.”

“Ever tried asking Angel?” Spike said mockingly.

“No, he won’t say a word. He just keeps telling me to watch my back. You have to know what’s going on. Why won’t they tell me?”

“It’s not ‘ard to figure out, luv. What ‘ave we been doing non-stop all week?”

“Patrolling, killing fledgling vampires. Dusting a whole lot of … Wait, we’ve been killing the fledglings but who’s doing the turning.”

“Nice to know you’ve got some smarts in there after all.”

Buffy glared at him for a second. “So who’s responsible?”

“Lothos.”

The name sounded strangely familiar. Where had she heard it before? Her mind conjured up an image of a vampire and hands trying to suffocate her. Her dreams? It was in her dreams. She’d seen him in her dreams and in each one he was calling to her. The bad thing is there were times she wanted to listen to him. “I know him. I know what he wants. He wants this town and … me.”

Spike nodded solemnly. “Lothos has a thing for going after Slayers. Then again, I guess most vampires do.”

“Why?”

Spike looked up from the fingernail he was musing over. “Lots of reasons, pet”

Buffy let out a sigh. “Okay, now tell me the reasons. Do I have to keep grilling answers out of you every single time?”

Spike sucked his cheeks in then smiled. “Don’t know. Might be quite an interesting way to pass the time, pet.”

She rolled her eyes. “Spike!”

“Answer’s simple, luv. You’re on top of the food chain. You’re blood is sweet and intoxicating.”

“And you know this how?”

“Let’s just say experienced it. Alright luv?”

“When? How?”

“We doing twenty questions are we? Do I get a go, pet?” Spike said with a devilish grin. “There are a couple of things I’d like to ask you.”

She rolled her eyes in annoyance. “Fine. You don’t have to answer.” She turned her attentions back to the punching bag.

Spike let out a sigh. “Look, I’ll make you a deal. Spar with me. Each time you get through my defenses, I’ll answer a question and if I get through yours, you have to answer one of mine.”

Buffy thought about it for a minute wondering if Spike had another agenda in mind but he looked so sincere that she agreed.

**

Buffy was breathing heavily and she could feel a few locks of her hair sticking to the back of her neck due to sweat. She didn’t know how long they had been at it, but even though she was starting to get tired she was actually having fun.

Spike was on the other side of the training area with that slightly annoying smirk of his goading her to make the first move. He was matching her blow per blow and she wondered if vampires could read minds because it seemed like he could anticipate each and every single of her moves.

“Tired yet Slayer?”

She took a deep breath before answering. “No. Why are you? Because we can stop if I’ve worn you out.”

Spike shook his head. “ ‘ardly luv. You know I can go on all night if you want me to.”

Buffy just rolled her eyes again. The vampire just had too much sex in the brain. He had been saying lewd comments on and off during the entire time they were sparring and it was starting to get pretty annoying, not to mention distracting. She took another deep breath before she launched herself towards him. She decided to do more kicks in her combination of attacks this time around, hoping that that would break through his defenses.

She felt a brief moment of triumph when her foot connected with his cheek but it was short lived because Spike recovered quickly and clamped a hand on her neck. Buffy’s eyes grew bigger at the realization that she was caught and it didn’t help her mood when she saw the big grin the vampire was sporting.

“I think that’s enough for one night, Slayer. Don’t want your Mum to have a cow when those bruises start showing.” He said releasing her.

“Like she’ll notice.” She mumbled as she rubbed her neck.

Spike just shrugged then dropped down and laid flat on his back on the training mat.

Buffy stretched out her tired muscles before taking a seat beside him. “So can I ask my question now?”

“If you want.”

“So uhm ... how do you know about Slayer blood.”

“Like I said, experienced it m’self.”

“Yeah, but how?”

“Blood. Tongue. Swallow.”

She punched him in the arm for being a smart ass. You said you’d answer my question and the way I see it I dusted you at least three times tonight.”

“Fine. It was ‘bout a little over twenty years ago. We were in New York. The Slayer back then was a pretty tough l’il bird by the name of Nikki Wood. The others were off somewhere trying to track a demon. We just finished doing a sweep of one of the cemeteries and decided to ‘ead down to Central Park to see what other nasties we could bag for the night. Let’s just say we got our wish. Was faced with a Polgara demon, but I got a little careless and got run through along with loosing a good chuck of my right side. She didn’t really ‘ave to do it. I would ‘ave ‘ealed up nicely given time but she insisted.”

“So you bit her? Like on the neck?”

“Yeah I bit ‘er, but not on the neck. Just a small little peck on ‘er arm.”

“And?” she said leaning a little closer.

But Buffy saw the glint in his eye, something that resembled craving and her suspicions were confirmed when he stared licking his lips.

Spike did his best to let his gaze focus on anything but the Slayer sitting beside him. All this talk about Slayer blood was whetting his appetite and the sound of her strong heart beat was like a siren stroking the demon inside. How long has it been since he tasted human blood? Was it almost a month ago now? He remembered that it was some wayward alley cat that thought he’d get paid by attacking a seemingly innocent pedestrian. Angel was strict about the no killing policy but Spike bent the rules a tiny bit once in a while. Of course compared to Slayer blood, he knew for a fact that what he had a month ago would pale in comparison to the blood that called to him now. It didn’t help that she was somewhat hovering above him and the heat from her body was making his fingers ache to feel her smooth skin. He dared to look at her and saw that she was looking at him intently. His fingers ghosted over the back of her left hand without him knowing it and it was only when she withdrew from his touch that he realized what he had done. He shook his head and quickly got up.

“Uhm … it’s getting late, pet. We better get patrol done and over with before your Mum starts worrying about you.”

She nodded slightly still a little shocked by the way he gently caressed her hand just a minute ago. She tried to busy herself with getting ready for patrol but there was a part of her that kept thinking about his touch. It was a little disconcerting because it wasn’t like it was the first time he had touched her. Heck, they were sparring just moments ago. But it was the look he had in his eye and the way his fingers just wisped gently on her hand that made her feel nervous and maybe a tinge bit giddy all of a sudden.

She shook the thoughts out of her head. Spike was annoying, creepy and all stalker like on her. She should be feeling irritated because he had a big mouth and always criticized her, but when she thought about his fingers on her hand she couldn’t help but smile to herself.
9 - Saints and Dances by Thianna
Image hosting by Photobucket


**


CHAPTER 9 – Saints and Dances


Buffy was sitting down on the training mat, trying to find a comfortable position. She had insisted on being told everything that was going on after she found out from Spike that there was indeed a master vampire behind all the havoc that was going on.

“Are you sure they’re going to attack on that night?” Merrick asked.

“Sì. I’ve been hanging out near that area for a while now and a few minions don’t know how to shut their mouths. I think Lothos feels confident that he can overpower the Slayer on that night.” Nikolai replied.

“Night of St. Vigeous.” Angel muttered.

“Okay, what’s so special about this St. Vigeous day or Um night?” Buffy asked.

“St. Vigeous led a crusade of vampires that swept through Harran, Edessa and points east. It’s one night when a vampire’s powers are at their greatest.” Merrick said matter of factly.

“Oh! … Wait. … You mean this Friday? St. Vigeous is this Friday?!”

“Yes, why? What’s wrong Buffy?” Merrick asked.

“It can’t be this Friday. There’s a dance this Friday.”

“Well you’re just going to have to skip it.”

“I am not!” Buffy protested.

“Buffy, it will be dangerous and you’ll be endangering the rest of the school.”

Her face grew stern before her lips formed a sad pout.

“Buffy you have to understand.”

“No I don’t. How much more do you want to take away from me Merrick? You’re asking me to throw my whole life away for what? Can’t I have one night. Just one night!”

“Buffy?” Angel spoke up.

“No! Just leave me alone. I didn’t ask for this. I didn’t want any of this!” She said storming out.


**

Buffy took a deep breath as she looked herself over in the mirror. She knew she looked good on the outside but deep inside she was feeling a little guilty. She had refused to go on patrol for the past three nights and completely ignored Angel’s presence when he stood outside her window. She didn’t want to hear any lectures from him nor hear his reasoning as to why Merrick was right and how she should just accept her fate.

A knock on the door brought her back from her thoughts. It was most probably her Mom telling her that it would be time to go.

Mrs. Joyce Summers opened the door to her daughter’s bedroom and smiled seeing that she was ready.

“Is it time to go?” Buffy asked sweetly.

“For you anyway, dear. You’re date’s here.”

“Date?”

“Yes, he’s waiting downstairs. Though I have to say Buffy he looks a bit older than you. And why haven’t you told me about him?”

Buffy gave her mother a puzzled look as she quickly headed down the hallway towards the stairs. Half-way down the stairwell, her senses registered someone familiar but what her slayer senses told her didn’t match what her eyes were telling her. In the middle of the living room was Spike but it wasn’t the Spike that Buffy was used to. The leather duster, boots and slicked back hair were gone. In its place was a sharp black suit with a dark blue tie. His hair wasn’t completely slicked back revealing for once that his hair was a little curly. It was spiked and styled in just the right way that it softened his features and made him look a little younger than what she was used to seeing. They stared at each other for a few seconds, neither one moving from where they stood.

“You look beautiful, Buffy.” Spike said finally breaking the silence first.

“Um ... thanks. You don’t look half bad yourself.”

“Now, William, how was it again that you and Buffy met?” Mrs. Summers asked curiously, somewhat concerned about this boy that she felt was too old to escort her daughter.

“Um. ... Mom?!”

Spike smiled warmly. “We both volunteer at the local animal shelter. Buffy’s really good at handling all sorts of animals.” He said with a slight smirk.

“Buffy, you didn’t tell me you were working in the animal shelter?”

“Um ... It must have slipped my mind. But yeah, anyway…” Buffy said hooking an arm through Spike’s and leading him to the door. “We have to get going now Mom or else we’ll be late for the dance.”

“Now William, I trust that you’re going to take care of my daughter.” Joyce said from the doorway.

Spike glanced behind him and with a smile said, “I won’t let her out of my sight Mrs. Summers.”

Satisfied with his answer, Joyce returned his smile and waited till they reached Spike’s car before closing the door.

“William?! Is that you’re real name or some make up name because your real name is much much worse than Spike?”

“It’s my real name Slayer. Now shut up and get in.” Spike said as he opened the door for her. She climbed inside the sleek black sports car and was impressed that Spike even owned something so luxurious.

“I didn’t know you owned something as nice as this. I didn’t even know you owned a car period.” She said once he settled into the driver’s seat.

“This ain’t mine, pet. I just rented it for the evening. My real baby is tucked away somewhere safe.”

“Rented? This must have cost a fortune.”

Spike grinned. “Definitely a pretty penny and the great thing is I ain’t paying for any of it. ‘m going to let the Council foot the bill on this one.”

“So I guess Angel sort of had his way and that’s why you’re here right? To watch over me?”

“Actually, pet this was my idea. Angel was in full agreement with Merrick. I didn’t think it was that big of a deal. So what if it’s St. Vigeous day. Means me and the mates are stronger too and it would be pretty pathetic of us if a couple of master vampires couldn’t take care of a couple of minions and a damn poofter of a self-proclaimed Vampire King.”

Buffy smiled warmly. “Thanks Spike.”

“Well, you deserve it Slayer.”

“He’s coming for me isn’t he? No matter what, he’ll be coming for me tonight.”

“You never know. Let’s ‘ope Niko is wrong, but if ‘e’s not I know you’ll be fine, luv. You’re strong Buffy. Just remember that.”


**

Buffy smiled happily when she and Spike entered the school gym where the dance was being held. She could tell that a few of her classmates were giving her envious looks and she understood why. Spike did look quite sexy in his suit and the way he was holding her was enough to make any girl melt.

He held her close when they danced and Buffy wished that maybe this was the reality… not the fact that she was a Slayer, but that she was just a regular teenage girl, being swept of her feet by a really great, yummy looking guy. She didn’t have a date to the dance but that didn’t really matter. She was determined to go because she just wanted one night where she didn’t have to think about vampires and demons. And now here she was, dancing with a pretty hot date and the envy of all the girls in her class. Heck maybe even the entire high school. She had caught a few seniors giving her the evil eye.

She was swept of her feet. Well, who wouldn’t be swept of their feet? She knew she could get lost in Spike’s blue eyes. She knew she could melt into his embrace and he would make everything better. Why did he have to be a vampire? This was most probably nothing more than another job to him. There would be no way he would find her interesting. But his touch, his words… They all felt sincere some how.

She let out a sigh as she rested her head on his chest. At the very least, whether this was a lie or not, she would enjoy it. It was in a way, she realized, a small gift from him… maybe a peace offering for all those times he annoyed her ceaselessly.

“You alright, luv?”

She looked up at him and smiled. His eyes were searching hers and then he lowered his head and she felt it. His lips were soft and gentle as they brushed against her own.

Spike wasn’t sure what he was doing but the feel of her against him as they danced to the slow music was intoxicating in itself. She always seemed to call to him, draw him in and there was really nothing in particular that did it. It was just her – who she was. It was the way she laughed and even pouted. It was the way she fought and the way she danced with him and against him. It all called to him and all he wanted to do was to fill his senses with her. He was undone. For once in his unlife there was something that called to him more than the hunger and violence.

He looked at her in disbelief at what he had just done. He didn’t regret it but now he was unsure of how she would react to the fact that he just kissed her. He was searching her eyes to get some inkling of what she was feeling on what just happened.

“Spike?”

“Yes, luv?”

“Did? “ she pulled one arm away from his neck to touch her lips as if trying to see if what she felt was real. She looked up and saw his searching eyes -- those same intense blue eyes.

As if mesmerized, Buffy moved her fingers from her lips to his tracing them slowly as if in wonder that but a few seconds ago they were pressed against hers. He smiled, then took her hand and pressed a kiss into her palm before moving to place it back behind his neck. He leaned closer and Buffy waited almost breathlessly to feel his lips on her again. This time the kiss was not as innocent as the first but he was still gentle. Buffy couldn’t believe what was happening. It felt like a fairy tale as he kept her close and continued to kiss her sweetly. It felt like nothing was going to ruin this moment. But her fairy tale was short-lived as a blood curdling scream pulled them away from their fantasy.

Spike looked up towards the direction of the scream and unknowingly let out a growl.

Buffy sighed and her lips pouted.

“ ‘m sorry luv. I wished that Niko ‘ad been wrong.”


The gym quickly turned into a chaotic event with students and teachers screaming while vampires began to feed. Spike and Buffy held their own, fighting and dusting vampires as they came near them. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Niko and Caden pulling vampires off of victims and dusting them as they helped some of the students and teachers escape.

As Niko made his way towards Spike, the bleached vampire paused and started sniffing the air.

“You smell it too don’t you Spike?” Niko asked.

“Yeah. Demons. … Fyarl. Damn it! Niko, watch Buffy’s back. I’m going …” Spike was about to rush over to one of the Fyarl demons when Niko held him back.

“Where’s Buffy?”

“Wot?!” Spike turned around quickly. “Bollocks! She was here just a minute ago. Damn it. I can’t sense her can you?”

Niko shook his head. “This isn’t good.” He said ducking then turning around to face the vampire that dared to attack him. With a slight hiss, he pummeled the minion with punches before he shoved a stake into its heart. “Spike! Fyarl!”

Sure enough the Fyarl that the bleached vampire was targeting earlier had decided to target him instead. The demon had the bleached vampire by his shoulders, lifting him up over its head and throwing him a few feet away. A table broke the vampire’s fall.

Spike quickly recovered and hurled himself at the Fyarl demon. He poured all his anger and frustration at the demon that had distracted him and made him lose contact with the Slayer. The Fyarl put up a decent fight, but anger was on Spike’s side and it didn’t take too long before he was able to snap its neck.

He took a moment to assess the situation as Angel made his way towards him, dusting a few of Lothos’ minions along the way. “Spike, where the hell is Buffy? She was your responsibility.”

“I don’t sodding know alright. I’ve been busy, Peaches.”

“Spike! I told you this would happen. This is why I was against this whole stupid plan of yours from the beginning.”

“Have a little more faith in the Slayer will you? And it’s not like I can’t track her down.”

“Perhaps you will, but I don’t think Master Lothos would appreciate it if you interrupt his date with the Slayer.” A voice said from behind them.

Spike let out a menacing growl.

“Master Lothos only wishes to meet with the Slayer. He has no desire to associate with her lapdogs.”

“I’ll show you who’s a lapdog you blabbering git.” Spike said as he slipped into game face but Angel held him back.

“No Spike! Amilyn is mine.”
10 - Warm Feeling by Thianna
Disclaimer: The characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer are owned by Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and Fox studios. This story is not meant to infringe upon anyone's rights, only to entertain.

**



**



CHAPTER 10 – Warm Feeling


Buffy cursed herself for getting caught. She knew she could handle these vampires but they over powered her with their numbers and had dragged her outside. They had her gagged so quickly she couldn’t even scream for Spike or Niko to help her. Once outside, she felt their hold on her loosening once and she had a glimmer of hope that maybe she could break free, but those hopes were dashed when she saw a huge burly demon take over restraining her. The demon held her firmly as the vampires bound her legs and hands together with thick rope. Once bound, the demon flung her on his shoulders and made its way down what seemed like a never-ending number of streets. Her body was constantly bobbing up and down and the uncomfortable position she was in made it really hard to figure out where they were taking her. And it didn’t help the situation that this demon smelled like cheese.

The demon eventually stopped and Buffy opened one eye to see that the vampires were ushering them into what seemed like a huge mansion. They passed hallways and flickering candles before she was unceremoniously dumped onto a chaise. Just as quickly, the demon and the vampire minions left the room. She wasn’t sure where they retreated to but her Slayer senses were telling her to stay alert. She could feel them nearby just not in the same room she was in at the moment.

She stared up at the ceiling for a moment, trying to calm her slightly dizzy head. She knew that if she hoped to get out of this alive the first thing she needed to do was to free herself from her restraints. She pulled and tugged on the gag forcefully, wanting to rid herself of the taste of fabric. She then worked on freeing her legs. The rope was tight and with her limited arm movement it took her some time to loosen it enough for her to pull one foot through and free her legs. At least she could run now, but she wouldn’t be able to dust any vampires effectively with her hands still bound. She tried pulling on the rope with her teeth but quickly decided that something, anything, sharp would be more effective against the thick rope that was slowly making her wrists raw.

“I hope they were not too rough on you dear.” A voice boomed and echoed from across the large room.

Buffy quickly looked towards it source and saw a light haired man that seemed to be in his late thirties. This must be Lothos. She wanted to giggle a little at the fact that he was wearing a black and red cape that made him look a little silly. Then she remembered what the others said he was. He was calling himself a Vampire King. Maybe he thought it gave him character but the outfit was amusing her so much. All thoughts of giggling left her though when he started to make his way towards her.

He walked with confidence and the vampire signature he was giving off told Buffy that he was quite powerful. She saw him take a small knife which made her take a step back being unsure of what he was planning to do to her.

“There’s nothing for you to be afraid of Ms. Summers. Or would you rather I call you Buffy?”

“How? ... How did you know my name?”

“I know everything about you dear. You’ve been in my dreams for the longest time,” he said, reaching a hand out to caress her cheek with his fingers.

Buffy took a step back to avoid him.

“Come now dear, you mustn’t shy away from me. I can feel you. I can hear your heart beating such a melodious rhythm. I can give you peace Buffy. I can make all the hurt and pain go away. But only if you let me inside.”

Buffy stood her ground. “You know nothing of me. You … you only want to …” She felt herself wavering as his eyes seemed to peer through her soul. His voice was smooth and calming and a part of her was craving for peace. She didn’t want this. She didn’t need to be the Slayer to define who she was. She was happy as who she was, when all she had to worry about was school and getting boys to notice her. She wanted to hear more of what he was promising her.

Lothos took her bound hands and used the knife he was holding to set her free. Lovingly, he rubbed her wrists, trying to soothe the ache he surmised was there. “I’ll make everything better dear.”

He could feel her life blood coursing through her veins and he couldn’t help but grin to himself at his success. He would dine on Slayer blood tonight.

He moved closer to the Slayer, positioning himself behind her. He let his hands caress her bare shoulders and arms slowly. He had dreamt of her often enough but he had to admit that though she was young, she was quite beautiful. Perhaps he would turn this one – make her his permanent trophy. It wouldn’t be bad at all to have her as a childe, to have her lithe hands and still quite youthful features attend to his every whim. He closed the gap between them as he whispered sweet promises of peace in her ear. He smiled when she obeyed him. The smile grew bigger when he told her to tilt her head to one side and expose her neck to him.

He licked his lips in anticipation as he enjoyed the feel of her warm body molded against him. He would drain then turn her. Nature had gifted her with body and beauty and it would be such a waste to hide that from the world under six feet of dirt.

Buffy’s head was filed with his sweet words and smooth voice. His promises seemed divine and she wanted to believe every one of them. So she didn’t resist. It was like it was in her dream but her anxiety wasn’t present this time.

As his fangs descended and he poised himself to strike, a loud commotion could be heard from outside and a minion was thrown against the double doors that led to the room with such force that one of the doors broke off its hinges.

A menacing growl erupted from the other side of the doorway as a very irate bleached blond vampire in a disheveled black suit forced his way through. He was unceremoniously dragging a minion by the throat into the room, before breaking the poor bloke’s neck reducing him to nothing more than a spattering of dust.

Lothos looked at the disturbance with annoyance. He had given strict instructions that he didn’t want to be bothered while he dealt with the Slayer. He had taken pains to make sure there were enough minions about to prevent anyone from ruining his long awaited moment. But this vampire, this distant kin of his, dared to interrupt him.

“It seems that you have found some way to break through my minions. Quite impressive I must say though futile. This Slayer is mine. I have waited for her. I have endured years of sleep for her.”

“Sorry mate, the job description actually tells me that I ‘ave to prevent that from ‘appening.”

Lothos looked at him questioningly for a moment then he started to laugh. “You! … You are one of those that Amilyn has mentioned. The Slayer’s lapdogs. Does the stupid Council actually believe that such a youngling can defeat me?”

Spike looked at him defiantly. He had never really met Lothos before but he had met minions and a few of his children in the past and never cared for any of them. Now of course he understood why he had such distaste for them. It was because their Sire was a total sodding wanker and poncey looking to boot.

“I suggest that you just save yourself the trouble. The Slayer is mine. You have no hope of wining against me.”

“Not my style gramps. Words are just words. I trust these much better.” He said raising his fists and dropping into a fighting stance. He wasn’t stupid. He knew that Lothos had him beat in the age department but he didn’t seem much like a fighter and Spike did fight dirty so there was a chance he could hold his own. Things would be better if the Slayer was actually fighting beside him, but … The Slayer. Buffy! What was wrong with her? She seemed as if she was in another world. She had not reacted once since he barged through the doorway.

Spike made an attempt to move towards the Slayer but Lothos quickly blocked his path. The younger vampire threw a punch which caught the “Vampire King” unawares. He took a few steps back and Spike could read through his opponent’s expression that his initial assessment of the poncey vampire was correct. He pressed on with fist and fang to reach the Slayer. With a well-placed kick, he was able to push Lothos back with enough force that the elder vampire hit the far wall with a loud crash. Moving quickly, he made his way to Buffy, shaking her in the hopes of getting some sort of reaction. But her eyes remained glassy.

Lothos picked himself up and started to laugh. “Such a good lapdog. Such devotion to his master. Though I wonder what the dog would do if the master no longer wanted him.”

“What the fuck did you do to ‘er?” Spike asked furiously.

“I told you. She is mine. Isn’t that right Buffy? … Buffy, it seems to me your little guard over here needs some discipline. Why don’t you show him what you can do?”

Buffy turned her head to look at Spike but there was no smidgen of recognition on her face. Spike continued to reason with her but he knew it was useless when she took a step forward and punched him in the stomach.

“Bollocks! Buffy?!”

Spike took a step back as Buffy executed a roundhouse kick aimed at his face.

Seeing that her attack didn’t connect she closed the distance between them and started attacking him more aggressively. Fortunately for Spike, he had spent hours on end watching her train and patrol. He knew every move she made, every inflection of her muscle and even the slight change in her breathing as she executed move after move. He was able to read her and defend himself accordingly. But this was futile. He didn’t know how, but it seemed like Lothos has Buffy under his thrall. The enemy they should be fighting was grinning like a fool enjoying the dance between the slayer and her guard as if it was some bloody gladiator tournament.

“Buffy! Luv! Wake the bloody ‘ell up. I’m not your enemy ‘ere.”

“You must be deaf as well as foolish. I told you the Slayer is mine and there is nothing you can do about it. Your efforts are futile. Nothing can break my hold on her.”

Spike reached out with his senses to see what kind of power Lothos did have on the Slayer. He could feel the older vampire’s aura around her but nothing else.

“Well Slayer, if that’s the truth, then you better come at me at full strength because just like you I ‘ave my duties. And for your information Lothos …” Spike said affording the self-proclaimed vampire king a glance. “I’m authorized to do whatever it takes for the mission … even if that means killing my charge.”
11 - A Solution by Thianna


**


CHAPTER 11 – A Solution


Lothos raised an eyebrow in surprise at the younger vampire’s proclamation. He found it impossible for this guard that seemed to care so much about this Slayer to actually fight and kill her. But there he was, matching her blow for blow. He had thought the young one would simply give up and accept fate, but he was fighting back. There was nothing in his stance or his actions that showed that he was holding back.

Buffy attacked but her moves were similar to what they were before. With her mind under Lothos’ thrall, she was nothing more than a puppet and her body repeated moves it knew through instinct and training. To Spike, it looked like a well rehearsed dance, a dance he had enjoyed watching her do when she was on patrol and further enjoyed when he was her partner. He therefore had no problem defending himself and he concentrated on finding the opening he needed to take care of this problem once and for all. He was waiting for her to execute a certain kick which always made her vulnerable on one side because she always followed it up with a backhanded punch.

Spike saw his opportunity soon enough and threw himself forward, grabbing her outstretched arm and twisting it behind her back. He then pressed his body against her as his left arm snaked possessively across her chest with his hand resting on her shoulder. The demon inside him reacted with anticipation as he lowered his head and his senses were filled with Buffy’s scent. Though her mind was elsewhere, her body knew and showed signs of slight panic as her heart started beating even faster. He could feel her body thrumming with life as he licked his lips with anticipation at the prospect of Slayer blood. It had been two decades since he had tasted it and nothing was going to stop him from taking hers now.

He felt Lothos take a step towards them and he growled loudly, twisting them around to make sure the Vampire King had a clear view of what he was about to do. This would be sweet victory… to taste Slayer blood and show this wanker that even though he was significantly younger than the ponce, he was more than capable of taking on the Slayer and relinquish his precious prize away from him. He gave the elder vampire a menacing look before he pursed his lips and nuzzled Buffy’s neck.

The reaction he received surprised him as she moaned almost inaudibly and rested her head against him. With a devilish smile, Spike sank his fangs into her tender neck. Buffy sighed against him as a moan rumbled from his throat. Slayer blood spilled into his mouth and washed over his tongue and he held on to her possessively as his senses were filled with her essence.

**

Something inside her was tingling. She felt warm and comfortable and safe. But something deep down was telling her that this wasn’t real – that this feeling of warmth was too good to be truth. It was too good to be truth but why should she question it. She was here. She was safe, but then that nagging feeling asked, ”Where was she anyway?”.

She remembered hearing a soothing voice. It was a voice that promised of peace and the end to all her pain. She tried to think who that voice belonged to, but no face came to mind. The last time she felt this safe was… when was that again? She let out a pout trying to remember. She closed her eyes, trying to conjure up the necessary memory. The only thing that came to mind was her mother.

“Mom,” she muttered. She always felt safe when she was in her mother’s arms. But the voice she was hearing wasn’t female at all. So who was it? “Dad? … Not anymore. He hasn’t been for a long time.” So who?

Then there was a name that burst forth into the front of her mind. William. It was such a reassuring name, but she didn’t know of a William. Or did she?

“Buffy, come now luv. It’s time to wake up.”

Buffy looked around, trying to figure out who was calling her. The voice was familiar, but it wasn’t the same voice that was whispering sweet promises of peace earlier. “Who are you?”

“Come on kitten. You daydream too much. You’re needed elsewhere.”

“But I like it here. It’s warm. It’s safe.”

“But it’s all a lie. This is all a lie, luv.”

“I don’t want to hurt.”

“I’ll protect you. I can keep you safe. I’ll be whatever you need, pet.”

It was then that she felt strong arms wrapping around her. She panicked at first, but that feeling melted away as they held her tenderly. “How can you be sure?” she said weakly.

“I’ll protect you.” The voice replied as she felt that similar tingling sensation return but this time she realized it was because she felt cold lips kissing her neck.

“But how? … Why?” She wanted to protest some more but the kiss was melting all her anxiety away.

“Shhh … pet. I’ll protect you because you’re mine.”

**

“Mine.” Spike whispered softly into her neck as he pulled his fangs away.

At that exact moment, Buffy blinked a few times and wondered where she was. She could feel someone pressed against her back and a shallow breath tickled her ear. She turned around quickly, adrenaline rushing through her as she remembered that Lothos had been so close to her earlier.

“Welcome back, luv.”

She smiled upon hearing that same melodious voice that promised to protect her just moments ago. She tilted her head to one side and relief washed over her as she caught the shock of platinum blonde hair and piercing blue eyes.

“Spike?”

Spike released her and turned her around to face him. “Hope that didn’t hurt too much, pet.”

She gave him a questioningly look then caught sight of his blood stained lips. Her hand flew to her neck and her finger found the two small puncture marks. Surprisingly, they didn’t sting. In fact, it somehow felt comforting to her.

Lothos looked at the scene before him and growled in anger. “How dare you, youngling? She was mine! You claimed the Slayer for yourself.”

“And I did it good and proper. Not some fancy gypsy trick of a thrall.” Spike said emphasizing his point with a wiggle of his fingers.

“I will have this Slayer. I will take her into me tonight!”

“Ewww. … I’m not going anywhere, especially not with you.” Buffy retorted.

“Ready to dance, pet?” Spike said with an outstretched hand, indicating that they go shut the ponce up for good.

The Slayer looked at his hand then back up at him and smiled. “I think you’ve done enough for tonight Spike. I feel like giving him a piece of my mind.”

Spike nodded and fished a stake from behind him and handed it to her.

Buffy smiled as she wrapped her hand tightly around the wooden weapon. Then she turned her attention to Lothos.

Spike backed away, knowing better than to interfere. He could feel her anger and was more than happy to have her do the honors of staking Lothos herself. He needed some time to rest anyway since he had been through minions and Fyarl demons all night. His muscles were aching and he had gashes in his … He looked down at the suit that was now ripped and torn in various places. He could smell vampire blood and demon goo on his clothes but when he raised an arm to inspect the damage to his suit and body, all he saw was torn fabric. There was no sign of the wound that he was sure was there just moments ago.

Slayer blood. That was the only answer he could think of. It made sense and he was glad for it too since he wanted to be sure that if push comes to shove and Buffy ended up needing his help, he wanted to be at a hundred percent.

He watched as Buffy and Lothos fought. She was magnificent as always. There was a warrior yearning to come out underneath the surface and it was only when the small Slayer fought that Spike could see her -- the real her emerge. He wasn’t sure what Lothos had said to Buffy to make her fall for his thrall but from the brief images he caught when his fangs were buried in her neck, he concluded it had something to do with her calling. He couldn’t really blame her. Finding out you’re the Chosen One, having to change your view on the world and taking on the responsibility of saving said world wasn’t something that anyone could easily accept, much less a teenage girl that most probably had her whole life, her hopes and dreams, ahead of her.

But she fought back. Accepted the hand he offered and came back from the dream state that Lothos had inflicted on her. Now she was basked in glory -- fighting, dancing, and glowing with power. He watched intently, wincing when any of Lothos’ attacks would connect. If only she’d keep her guard up and watch out for the left leg that the older vampire seemed to favor, then she’d be able to land that kick she seemed to be aching to use for a few minutes now. Strangely enough she did just that. Spike raised an eyebrow in wonder. He hadn’t said anything but she seemed to get what he was hoping she’d do.

He grinned to himself. “That’s my girl.”

Buffy flashed him a smile before doing a flip and angling her body out of Lothos’ reach. She crouched her body then launched herself at the vampire, taking him by surprise and finally embedding the stake in his chest. Lothos looked up in surprise at Buffy then back at the stake that was sticking out of his body. He staggered backwards, the look of shock still on his face when he disintegrated into dust.

Buffy took a moment to catch her breath. It was strange. When she was fighting she didn’t feel like she needed to breath. In fact she felt like she wasn’t fighting alone. She looked up to see Spike approaching her. Was he really that far away from her when she was fighting Lothos? She could have sworn he was much closer because she thought she heard him giving her pointers throughout the fight. As Spike stepped closer, she could feel the bite marks on her neck tingle. Her fingers reached up to caress them lovingly.

The blond vampire saw what she was doing and a sense of pride welled up inside him. He reached out, their fingers touching as they both traced the now healing wound.

“Thank you.” Buffy said softly.

“You did that all by yourself.” Spike said gesturing to the pile of dust that used to be known as the Vampire King Lothos. “I just pointed you in the right direction, luv.”

She shook her head. “No. I don’t know how but I felt you were fighting along side me.” She closed the distance between them.

His mark on her neck was pulling him closer to her and it didn’t help that in his eyes she was the most beautiful thing he had ever laid eyes on. They were this close earlier this evening. They were this close and he was kissing her. He wanted to do it again, wanted to see how she would taste after a fight. He leaned down and was but a hair away from her when he sensed someone approaching. He quickly took a step back and ran his fingers through his curly locks in slight embarrassment.

“Buffy! Spike!” Angel said as he walked into the room followed by Caden and Nikolai.

“Everything’s under control. Sure took you guys long enough.” Spike said with a smirk as he removed his jacket and placed it around Buffy.

“Hey. We kept the lot of them busy outside while you were trying to play hero in here, ceffo!” Nikolai replied.

“Alright. That’s enough! Spike, you better get Buffy home before her mother starts getting worried.” Caden interjected hoping to change the subject before Spike and Niko started their childish squabbling.

Spike nodded. “Let’s go, luv. We’ll stop somewhere to get you all cleaned up.”

Buffy smiled and hooked her arm around his as she let him lead her to the door. As they passed by Angel, the brooding vampire placed a firm hand on Spike’s shoulder and gave him a stern look. No words passed between them. Spike just matched his gaze before pushing his Sire’s hand away and walking out of the room with the Slayer.
12 - Next Best Thing by Thianna


**

CHAPTER 12 – Next Best Thing

Not a word passed between the Slayer and her guard as they headed out of the mansion. Buffy was mulling over everything that happened while unknowingly leaning against her date. She smiled lazily, comforted by his mere presence. Always the gentleman, Spike opened the car door for her and waited patiently for her to get in. Part of her didn’t want to part his side even for a second but she knew that he had to take her home before her mom threw a fit. It was late, and she was sure she already broke curfew.

She settled into the passenger seat while Spike closed the door and hurried to the other side. She smile at him again as he started the car. Why was she doing that? She just seemed to be on some happy juice or something because she just couldn’t stop smiling. She was pretty sure she was grinning from ear to ear. Maybe it was just the adrenaline from earlier. Or maybe she was affording herself a little happy moment for surviving through this ordeal.

Spike was silent, seemingly deep in thought and that was unnerving her a tiny bit. He didn’t even bother to turn on the radio so all you could hear was the soft rumble of the car engine and her breathing. He should be happy. He should be sharing her joy in victory. But he was silent and Buffy didn’t know what to do. Even when they stopped by a gas station so that she could make herself more presentable just in case her mom was up waiting for her, he was still somber.

About half an hour later, they had arrived at her house. Spike turned the engine off and moved to open his door when Buffy placed a hand on his arm to stop him.

“Somethin’ wrong, pet?”

“I should say that to you.”

He just shrugged and moved to open his door. Buffy was getting irritated with this. “Spike! We need to talk.”

“Talk? ‘Bout what pet?”

“About tonight. I mean we defeated Lothos and all and you look like you lost a best friend. You didn’t know Lothos did you?”

“Bloody hell, Slayer! How in the world did you even come up with that conclusion?”

“Well it’s not my fault you’re acting like Angel!”

He couldn’t help but give her an icy glare for comparing him to his Sire. “You better take that back.”

“Only if you tell me what’s going on.”

Spike looked at her and saw the determination in her eyes. He wanted to retort, to say something annoying so that she’d just drop this line of questioning. But she looked too pretty for him to do that. He took in a deep breath. “It’s nothin’ luv. Don’t worry about me.”

But Buffy didn’t believe him. It was obviously about something that happened tonight. Was it because he bit her? She wished she could remember exactly how it felt when that happened. She had a vague memory of it feeling calming but then again, that could have been just a side-effect of Lothos’ thrall. Maybe she tasted off and Spike knew it and just wasn’t telling her about it. Tasted off? Or worse, maybe she didn’t taste good at all and for some strange reason, she wanted her blood to taste good to him. Buffy shook her head at that thought.

“Spike, about tonight ...”

“What about it?”

“You bit me.”

“I know luv. I’m sorry about that, but it was the only … “

“No. I don’t mind that you bit me. I heard you. I understood why you did it. But … but … umm … do I … umm … Is it suppose to feel all tingly?” She really wanted to ask what she tasted like but it just didn’t sound right when she thought about it in her head.

Spike thought about it for a moment. He wasn’t really sure what to tell her. His only intent when he bit her was to break her out of her thrall. He was hoping that the bite would register as pain and that her slayer instincts would then take over. But what he ended up doing was claiming her. He could already hear the lecture Angel was going to give him when he returned home later. But he didn’t feel like claiming her was such a bad thing. It felt good being able to feel her mentally. It felt like he was complete.

He knew why the bite was tingly. It was responding to its owner. “Don’t worry your pretty little head about it, luv. After tonight, that will heal up nicely and it won’t bother you anymore.”

“I didn’t say it was a bother. I was just curious.” Buffy looked out on the passenger side window, not wanting to face him. “It … it feels comforting … like I’m walking on cloud nine,” she said softly.

“That’s just the adrenaline still in your system, luv.” He said as he got out of the car and moved to open her door.

Buffy took the hand he offered as he helped her out of the vehicle. “No. it’s not just adrenaline Spike. It feels different from that.” She said as he walked her to the front door. “It’s something else and for some strange reason I want to say. I’m …”

Spike turned around a placed a finger on her lips to stop her. “No, luv. Don’t say anythin’. You’re tired. Hell, we’re all tired.”

Buffy looked up at him with a puzzled expression but she kept silent.

Spike let his fingers ghost over her cheek before he stepped away from her. He wanted to continue what they were about to do in the mansion before the others arrived. But right now it didn’t seem like a good idea. If he kissed her, he knew he’d want more and she might just respond because of the claim. She wasn’t ready for that and for some strange reason he wanted something deeper with her.

**

Niko was outside smoking when Spike pulled up. He nodded in acknowledgment and handed Spike a cigarette and a light when he got out of the car.

“Everything alright?” Niko asked.

Spike took a moment to take a drag from his cigarette before answering. “Yeah. Slayer’s at home safe and sound.”

“That’s good.”

“So you want to go out to a bar or somethin’?”

“You’re stalling.”

“That obvious?”

Niko chuckled. “No matter what, you’re going to have to face Captain Forehead. You might as well get it done and over with.”

Spike shrugged and returned to smoking his cigarette. Nothing else really needed to be said between them which was one of the few things the bleached vampire liked about Niko. They just stood there, their backs to the wall, looking up at the night sky and smoking.

**
Spike finally opened the door a few minutes later. Angel was sitting patiently on one of the steps that led to the second floor. He stood up and walked towards his child calmly which threw the younger vampire off. He was sure Angel would be fuming mad with him, but there was not a hint of anger in his expression. Not yet anyway.

“I hope you know what you just did back there.”

Spike just shrugged his shoulders.

“Spike?!” Angel asked with more insistence.

“I bloody well know what the fuck I did.”

“Why?”

“Does it matter? Mission accomplished and the slayer is still alive. I did my job!

“You’re right. You did. Now break it!”

Spike took a deep breath and sucked his cheeks in.

“Spike, break the claim. That’s an order!”

“Why? I kind of like having the little bird around. And isn’t this better anyway? I’ll know where she is at all time.”

“You don’t understand. This is a contradiction … “

“We are a bloody contradiction Angel! Everything we are. Everything we do. All of it goes against what we truly are. So why not add something else to the list?”

“Keeping the claim, staying like this, will destroy her. She’ll crave you, want you and then what? You’ll give in to your emotions and take from her. Little by little she’ll find comfort in the dark until the mission will no longer hold any meaning to her.”

“Those are just words, not proof.” Though Spike himself was wondering why he was defending his actions so much. It should be easy, breaking it and moving on. This was a job, nothing more. So why was he even trying to keep it? Keep her?

“Spike just listen to reason. End this now before it gets any deeper. Or else.”

“Or else wot?”

“Or else I’ll exercise my right and power as your sire to break it myself.” He said with a stern look on his face. Spike thought it would have been more menacing if he just wasn’t used to seeing Angel scowl at him like that all the time.

“Fine, wotever.”

“Do it now.”

“No! Not now. In her dreams, I’ll break it then.”

Feeling somewhat defeated, Spike climbed the stairs and went straight to his room. He shed what was left of his black suit and pulled on a pair of black jeans. He was about ready to pour himself a drink when Merrick knocked on the door.

“Wot do you want?!”

“Just to speak with you,” Merrick replied.

“There isn’t anything else you can say that the soddin’ poofter hasn’t already mentioned.”

“You understand right?”

Spike shrugged. “It’s not for me to understand. I’m just a bloody employee.”

“Do you feel that strongly about …. “ Merrick cut himself short. “Did she … reply?”

Spike shook his head. “I wouldn’t let her.”

Merrick nodded solemnly. “Thank you,” and with that the Watcher left him.

“No I wouldn’t let her, but I wanted to hear her say it.” Spike mumbled to himself as he found his bottle of Jack Daniels and started to numb himself before he had to do what was asked of him.

**

Buffy was unknowingly humming to herself as she got ready for bed. She looked with dismay at her ruined dress but somehow even that couldn’t really bring her spirits down. She felt happy for some strange reason despite everything that had happened tonight. Things seemed to be looking up and she felt that being the Slayer didn’t seem like that much of a burden now. She felt like she belonged somewhere and the fact that she was kissed a few times tonight just added to the high she was feeling.

She crawled under the covers and snuggled Mr. Gordo as she drifted to sleep with the most satiated smile on her face.

In the other side of town, Spike was drowning his emotions in alcohol. Despite the distance between them he could feel her and he could sense she was happy. Maybe it was wishful thinking on his part that perhaps the claim would mean something to her that’s why he was stalling in breaking it. He reasoned to himself that he was going to do it when she fell asleep so that she wouldn’t be hurt by the loss. Loss. He was arrogant to think that a Slayer would feel something for a vampire. But what was disconcerting about it all was that he wanted it to mean something. What was wrong with him? This wasn’t like the first Slayer he had protected but there was just something about Buffy that made him extremely reluctant to give up the claim. He understood Angel’s and Merrick’s reasoning. Heck, deep down he knew it wasn’t meant to be because he stopped her from voicing out her response.

“What are you waiting for you soddin' git?” he said to the glass of whiskey and blood in his left hand. He paused for a moment then swallowed the remaining contents of the glass. He closed his eyes and tried imagining the words that would be necessary to do as his Sire had asked. But they wouldn’t come. He didn’t want them to come.

“Bugger! Sod them all!” he muttered under his breath. He had no desire to break it so he decided to do the next best thing and fuck anyone who says otherwise.



**

Buffy woke up with a start from a dream that felt like she was falling. Something felt missing but as she scanned her bedroom everything was in place. Tired muscles were pulling her back to sleep so she dismissed the feeling knowing that there would be enough time later to figure it all out.
13 - Something is Missing by Thianna
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Amarysso for betaing.

spettatore – literally means watcher
sciocco – fool, pillock


**

CHAPTER 13 – Something is Missing



Buffy woke up at around nine o’clock that morning. She knew she had enough hours of sleep but for some strange reason she still felt a little tired. She also noticed that her little euphoria from the night before was gone. Perhaps it was some high that you got from slaying, sort of like what her gym teacher was talking about. But it really felt like something was missing.

She shook her head to clear it. Maybe it was just some dream. She recalled waking up sometime in the middle of the night from a dream where she thought she was falling from some cliff. At first she felt safe. She knew that there would be someone or something to catch her or protect her. But as she thought about the idea of actually falling, she started to panic and that was when she woke up. She frowned at that. How could anyone ever feel safe about falling from a cliff? That was really wigging her out.

It was Saturday. She was going to go to the mall today because she needed some shopping therapy especially after what she went through last night. She filled her thoughts will all the different stores she was hitting and possibly the outfits she would be buying today as she made her way downstairs for some breakfast. She did have to replace the dress she wore yesterday which was beyond saving now.

Her mom was in the kitchen making pancakes.

“It’s about time you woke up sleepy head.” Joyce Summers said as she saw Buffy take her seat.

“Sorry … long night.”

“Well you were over your curfew last night missy, but I’ll let it go this time after I heard what happened in the school. I’m just glad you’re safe. So how did those drug addicts get into the school anyway?”

“Um … drug addicts?”

“Yes, that was what was on the news. Why? What really happened?”

“Oh ... umm … no, the news people got it right. It was a bunch of drug addicts. They were going all crazy and what not.” She said before taking a bite of her pancakes hoping her Mom wouldn’t press her for details.

“Well I’m glad that William brought you home safe.”

Buffy nodded in agreement as her mind started replaying scenes of what happened last night. She remembered Spike walking her to her door and being all gentlemanly. She remembered him caressing her cheek before he left and then the conversation they had in the car. She felt really content and happy when he dropped her off, but now she didn’t feel like that anymore. Was that it then? Was that what she was missing?

“Go finish your breakfast Buffy and stop daydreaming.” Joyce commented.

Buffy finished eating then headed to the bathroom for a quick shower. She knew she would have to report to Merrick about everything that happened yesterday but she was hoping to maybe just be plain Buffy for the weekend. She stared at herself in the mirror and ran her fingers through her hair, gathering it up into a ponytail wondering how she should fix her hair today. Then something caught her eye in the mirror. It was the marks on her neck. She touched it gently, seeing that they were starting to heal. She felt a brief shudder run through her as her fingertips traced the bite mark.

“Spike …” she muttered under her breath. His name was foremost in her mind and part of her felt like he was there with her but as soon as she removed her fingers from the wound the feeling was gone.

She sighed softly. She wanted to know what was going on and why the more she was trying to remember every detail from last night, especially from the time she met Lothos to her going home, some of the details seemed fuzzy. Guess there would be no avoiding it now. If she wanted answers, she would have to go to Merrick and cut her shopping therapy a bit short today.

**

Buffy looked down at her watch to see that it was around three o’clock in the afternoon. She had enjoyed her little shopping adventure and even joined a few friends from school for some lunch. She was quite happy with that. Perhaps her school life was still somewhat salvageable if some of her friends were still talking to her. Of course they seemed to be more interested in her date last night, continuously grilling her as to how they met, what he was like, and if they were serious. She answered the questions a bit vaguely, but apparently the story she weaved about them meeting in an animal shelter like what Spike told her Mom was good enough for them.

She slipped into the building that her Watcher and Guards were calling home. She wasn’t expecting anybody else to be up except Merrick since sunset was still a few hours away, but her senses told her otherwise.

“Buffy?” Niko called out as he flicked a light switch on to help her see.

“Oh! Niko? … What are you doing up?”

“I couldn’t sleep,” he said as he started buttoning his shirt up as if trying to hide something.

Buffy noticed it though and took a step towards him, placing a hand on his to stop what he was doing. She pulled the shirt back and winced at the still swollen gash across his chest. “Ouch!”

Niko shrugged. “I’ve had worse. It will heal. But what are you doing here? We didn’t think you’d be up for training or patrol after what you’ve been through last night. You must be exhausted.”

“I am a little. … I was hoping to talk to Merrick though. I mean, I know he’s going to grill me about last night anyway for that journal he keeps scribbling in. I was thinking it would be best to talk to him while things are still fresh in my mind.”

“Well he should be upstairs. I’m sure the spettatore has his nose buried in a book or something.”

Buffy smiled before heading up the stairs.

Niko watched her go and shook his head. Thankfully, Angel and Caden weren’t in at the moment. The pair had gone to Lothos’ mansion to take care of any stragglers that were left. He had voiced his opposition for just the two of them going but Angel insisted that it would be best for him and Spike to stay behind. He kept his gaze on the blonde Slayer and wondered if the topic of Spike claiming her last night would come up with her discussions with the Watcher.

“Spike, you sciocco! Angel will most probably kick you in the butt for not doing what he told you to do last night.”

Buffy made her way towards Merrick’s room but stopped in mid-step in front of a different door when she felt a familiar vampire signature on the other side. She knew it was Spike. She closed the distance between her and the door having this uncanny feeling that she just needed to see and talk to him. Her heart started beating faster in slight anticipation as she placed a hand on the door knob, debating within herself whether she should or shouldn’t enter.

Spike knew that Buffy was just outside his door. Heck, he knew she was in the building the moment she stepped through the factory doors. He quickly got out of bed, pulled his jeans on and ran his fingers through his hair as he made his way towards the door. He paused for a moment, hearing her heart beat faster. He tried to convince himself that he shouldn’t be doing this, but he wanted to see her. He wanted to sense her physically since he was forbidden to do so mentally. He smiled as he opened the door.

“Um ... I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bother you.” Buffy said a bit flustered at being caught outside his door.

“You weren’t. Umm, you weren’t bothering me that is. And if you did, I would have just kicked you out.” Spike said trying to sound casual. His eyes were quickly drawn to her neck where his mark rested, healing, faint, but still his. He couldn’t break the claim last night. He had no desire to, so he did the next best thing. He was blanketing it ... burying it deep down and consciously not calling upon it. If he could just resist from biting her or strengthening the bond in any way then she wouldn’t know that there was anything different. That should take care of Angel’s argument that claiming the Slayer would affect her in some way. There was a part of him that had wanted to hear her reply. He wanted to hear her agree to the claim. But that was all wishful thinking on his part. He pushed any other thoughts about Buffy aside. She was the Slayer and he was her guard. That should be enough for now. Spike knew it wouldn’t be enough but he had to try. At least this way, with the one-sided claim he could protect her.

Buffy smirked. “Kick me out? Please! … You are looking at the Slayer that bested the Vampire King!”

“Self-proclaimed Vampire King, luv. Big difference. Lothos was a ponce.”

“I still dusted him!” she said sticking her tongue out.

Spike though she looked adorable and he took a deep breath, pushing down the urge to just grab her and kiss her right then and there. He remembered the kisses they shared last night and knew he wanted more. The demon inside him was telling him to just take what he wanted from her right now. Technically he did own her but he pushed his urges aside, wanting to taste her not because it was forced on by the claim but because she wanted it as well.

“So what brings you here, pet?” he said trying to change the topic.

“Oh ... um ... well I was going to ask Merrick about something but maybe you’d be the better person to talk to.”

“Me?”

“Well I think so. I remember when I was fighting Lothos there was this sense of calm. I mean, I was still a little nervous since I wasn’t sure if I was doing the right thing. But each time I had any doubts in my mind, something in my head was helping me out. It was telling me I was going to be fine and it somehow helped me figure out what I needed to do.”

“That’s most probably just your instincts, pet.”

“Maybe, but I had the same feeling even when the fight was over. Hmmm. … Maybe you’re right because when I woke up this morning the feeling was gone. I just feel like something is missing. I know that sounds really weird.”

Spike shook his head. “I’ve seen many things through the years, Slayer. What you said isn’t weird.”

“So you know what’s up with me?” she asked hopefully.

“Well…” How was he going to do this? “Sorry luv, but Merrick is your best bet in figuring out what’s up.”

“Oh. … Okay. I guess I’ll go see him now.” She took a step back getting ready to head towards her Watcher’s room, but she turned back to face him. “Um … if you don’t mind, can we like spar a little later?”

“As you wish, Slayer.”

Buffy smiled and turned towards Merrick’s room. She didn’t want Spike to see the blush on her cheeks that was caused by the way he was looking at her. He was giving her that same look like last night when they were dancing, like she was the only thing in existence.


Spike let out a sigh as he closed his door once he saw that she had slipped into the room down the hall. Two seconds after he closed his door, it flew wide open again and a very angry Angel entered.

“Ever heard of knockin’, Peaches?”

“I told you last night to break it.”

“Wot are you talkin’ about?”

“You know damn well what I’m talking about Spike. It’s still there. You’re still staking a claim on her.”

“And that’s a bad thing?”

“I told you to break it.”

“Didn’t feel like it. “

“I said…”

“Oh sod off, Peaches! It’s not like it’s harmin’ her and I would never force her into anything.”

“You already have.”

Spike narrowed his gaze. “If I had, I would have forced her to reply. I would have made her drink from me and that would have made the claim complete. But the bloody truth is I didn’t! So get off my bloody back and go brood about somethin’ else.”

“Know your place child!”

“I do. I do whatever it takes to keep the Slayer alive.”

“He has a point Angel.” Caden interjected from the doorway. “It’s not like he’s harming Buffy.”

“You’re always on his side Caden.” Angel said angrily.

Caden chuckled confidently. “Like William said long ago, we take no sides. We have a job to do Angel – a fact you remind all of us everyday. If anything, what Spike has done shows some self restraint. And later on, if he goes out of line, it’s not like we can’t dust him.”

Spike snorted. “Unlikely scenario. I’m not a fledglin’ anymore Caden.”

Caden just shook his head at the blond vampire’s cockiness.

“Fine. I’ll allow it … for now.” Angel grumbled in defeat as he left the room.

“Why?” Spike asked the elder vampire.

Caden shrugged. “Like I said, it’s not like you’re harming her, though it was pretty bold of you to do it in the first place. Or maybe, I’m just curious.”


**

Merrick listened intently as Buffy relayed the details of the events that happened last night. He scribbled away in his journal, knowing that he would have to go over them later and make a proper report for the Council.

“So you say that you felt like you had added strength?”

Buffy nodded. “I don’t know how, but it felt like I was stronger and quicker. I mean I knew I was angry at Lothos but could just sheer adrenaline do that?”

“It is quite possible. Again, you are still discovering your powers.”

“Ok, but what about that voice in my head. I mean it was really comforting to have. It was like someone was watching my back, but now that I think about it the idea of is kinda creepy.”

“Well I haven’t heard of any other Slayer experiencing that. Angel and the others might be a better resource since they’ve fought beside numerous Slayers.”

“Well I asked Spike about it and he said it was most probably instinct.”

“Hmmm…”

“Spike …”

“Now you said you had a comforting feeling before you went to bed, but now you feel like something’s missing?”

“Yup.”

Merrick looked at his charge and noticed that this was the third time Buffy had touched her neck near where Spike had bitten her, rubbing it slightly with her fingers.
14 - Yours by Thianna


**
A/N: Thanks to Amarysso for betaing.

CHAPTER 14 - Yours


Spike could sense that something was wrong as he turned the corner and headed down the street towards Buffy’s house. He found himself doing this almost every night now. He stayed up a few hours after patrol to stand outside her window, smoking a cigarette and making sure she was safe.

Patrol was fairly uneventful that night so he knew for a fact that she wasn’t hurt. None of them have heard or seen anything out of the ordinary lately so he wasn’t even planning on heading over to her house until much later. Unfortunately, something inside him told him that he needed to get there sooner tonight.

He arrived at Buffy’s house and made his way towards the back where her room would be. Along the way, he could hear the fairly loud argument going on between her parents and he shook his head. He knew it was one of those things that upset Buffy lately. She didn’t say much about it but it didn’t take a rocket scientist to see that the topic about her parents’ rocky relationship was a sore subject for her.

He could sense that she was near but when he looked up at her window, her room was cloaked in darkness. He then heard the faint scrapping of fabric against fabric and followed his senses to find a curled up Slayer hugging her knees, with her back against the retaining wall in their backyard.

She looked up revealing watery eyes and tear stained cheeks. Upon recognizing who was before her, she launched herself at him burying her face into his chest as her tears continued to fall.

Spike took one step back to balance himself as his arms wrapped around her protectively. He let his hand rub the small of her back in an act of concern but he didn’t dare say a word as she sobbed her pain.

It took a few minutes for her to calm down but she made no attempt to pull away from him which both surprised and pleased Spike at the same time.

“I’m sorry.” Buffy said into his chest.

“No worries, pet.”

“I guess I’m just being a little silly. I mean it’s not like it wasn’t obvious it was eventually going to happen.”

“Can I take a guess that this has got somethin’ to do with your Mum and Da’?”

She nodded, pulling away slightly to wipe the tears that had stained her cheeks. “That’s all they do nowadays -- just scream at each other. It’s good that they’re finally getting a divorce I guess, … but …” She paused for a bit, trying her best not to let a fresh set of tears fall. “He didn’t even fight for me. I mean, I’m his daughter and he didn’t even argue about custody. He’s putting up more of a fight for the house and the bank accounts than me.”

“The bloody git is blind is all, pet.” He said pushing a lock of hair behind her ear. “He doesn’t see how precious you really are.”

“You’re just saying that.”

“Fine, I take it back then. You’re irritatin’, bossy and … and … “ But the words were lost when he saw her pouting a bit.

“Look who’s talking! 1970’s reject!” she said with slight anger which quickly melted away as she started to giggle. She reached out and started messing with his hair, running her fingers through his locks releasing them from their prison of hair products.

Spike jerked back. “ Oi! Wot are you doin’? No touchin’ the hair.”

Those words only encouraged her as she pulled more of his curly locks out of place. Once in a while she curled a finger around a lock of hair, rubbing it gently between her thumb and index finger before releasing it. Spike noticed the subtle action and smiled to himself despite the fact that she was ruining what he had carefully worked on earlier that night. She smiled up at him as she took a step back and looked at her handiwork. She liked his hair that way.

“Having fun at my expense, pet?”

“Yeah and what of it?”

“Smilin’ suits you. I rarely see it but it suits you.”

“Well as you can see, there aren’t a lot of things I can smile about at the moment.”

“Things could be worse.”

“I guess. … Spike, how did the others cope?”

“The other’s luv?”

“The other Slayers. How did they deal with family and life and being a Slayer?”

Spike sat down beside her and leaned against the retaining wall as he tilted his head back to stare at the night sky. “Lots of different ways. Each girl dealt with it differently. Some of the girls drowned themselves in the slayin’. Others did anythin’ and everythin’ to avoid it altogether. But I will say this Slayer, even though things don’t seem to be peachy at the moment, you have your Mum. ... I know she loves and cares about you. Most of the slayers I worked with through the years didn’t have anyone or anythin’ else. Slayin’ was it. That was all they had.”

“Go me then,” she said unenthusiastically with a small sigh.

The back door to the house flew open and a very concerned Joyce Summers stepped out. “Buffy?”

“Um ... yeah?’

“What are you doing out here in the dark at this hour?”

“Um … well …” Buffy replied as she stood up.

“Is someone there with you?” she said, flicking a light switch on which flooded the backyard with light.

Spike squinted his sensitive eyes at the sudden brightness.

“Now what are you and …” She paused for a moment, trying to figure out who was with her daughter. He looked very familiar but she didn’t think her daughter ever brought home a boy that was decked out in leather. The platinum blond hair he was sporting was unmistakable and her eyes grew wider at the realization that it was William. “Oh, umm… like I was saying, what are you and William doing in the backyard in the dark, young lady?” she said crossing her arms across her chest.

“Nothing. … We were just talking, Mom!”

“Young lady it is a school night. You should be up in your room studying and not out here.”

“Um ... but ... we were studying. Spi ... William was helping me with homework.”

Joyce raised her eyebrows and gave her daughter a doubting look.

“It’s true! … We were talking about um … History.”

Spike stood up, dusted his clothes and smiled. “Yeah, History.”

“In the dark?”

“Well, it helps set the mood, Mrs. Summers. Many wars and political decisions were thought out and strategized at night.” Spike said with a grin.

Joyce just shook her head. “Well if you’re going to be helping my daughter with her History homework you might as well come inside. I’ll make some hot chocolate for both of you.” She turned back into the house, leaving the back door open for them.

Spike turned to Buffy. “I can leave if you want me to.”

Buffy shook her head. “No. Stay. I could use the company for a bit longer and I really do have History homework that I’m sure you can help me out with.”

“I’m your bloody guard Slayer, not your tutor.”

“But you most probably lived through these things. You can help lots. … Please! Please! Please! We don’t have any blood in the house, but Mom’s hot chocolate is out of this world. She always puts mini marshmallows.”

Spike grinned at the mention of marshmallows. “Have your Mum make me a big mug and I’m yours Slayer.”

She smiled happily, heading on ahead into the house. Spike watched her, thankful that she seemed to be feeling a lot better now. ” I’m yours Slayer.“ He thought about what he just said and he knew there was something more to it than just helping her out with homework.
15 - You Were a What? by Thianna


**
A/N: Thanks to Amarysso for betaing.
Vocabulary:
testa di merda = shithead
vaffanculo = fuck you



Chapter 15 – You Were a What?

Winter 1998, Sunnydale, California

Joyce Summers was rushing through the house like a tornado, hurriedly checking last minute things before she left for her ten day art acquisition trip for the gallery she was working for.

They had moved to Sunnydale, California a few months ago, much to Buffy’s disappointment for a number of reasons. One, being that she had to transfer schools mid-school year. Two, leaving Hemery meant leaving all the friends she grew up with. She tried to keep a positive attitude about the whole situation. She consoled herself that it was a fresh start. It was a chance to meet new friends and what not. However, that was of course shattered when Merrick told her about Sunnydale’s unknown tourist attraction – the Hellmouth. The vampire and demon population in Hemery was close to non-existent when compared to the number of baddies that lived in Sunnydale. Patrolling was rarely uneventful as the Chosen One found herself being more than just a vampire slayer.

Today though, the Chosen One was happy about the prospect of being free girl – no adult supervision for ten days. Well that’s not counting her watcher. She watched her mother run around the house, checking things and giving her instructions.

“I was really hoping William would be here before I left for the airport.”

“Mom you know he prefers to be called Spike.” Buffy smiled at the thought that her Mom actually trusted Spike. Thought it was hard to explain at first why Spike was moving to Sunnydale at the exactly same time as they moved. They were able to spin it that he was going to be studying and working in UC, Sunnydale. Actually, Buffy was amazed as to how the rest of her guards were somehow able to blend into her life. Caden was working with her Mom in the gallery. Merrick owned a little book store that specialized in hard to find books of any kind. Niko and Angel worked for Merrick in the store, though Angel rarely worked there. The elder vampire was usually out and about gathering information and keeping tabs on anything and everything going on in the Hellmouth.

“Well William is such a nice name and he introduced himself as William first anyway.” Joyce replied.

There was a loud bang coming from the back door and Buffy hurriedly answered it. Spike rushed into the kitchen as soon as the door was opened, biting his tongue as he wanted to spew out obscenities at the sun.

“Good you’re here. Mom wanted to see you before she left.” Buffy exclaimed.

“Sorry I’m late, luv.”

“Goodness William. I will never understand why you prefer going through the back door.” Joyce commented.

Spike just answered her with a sheepish smile.

“Anyway, I don’t have much time. I just wanted to say I’m putting a lot of trust in you two. Now, Buffy you remember our talk about boys, yes?”

“Mom! Spike and I aren’t going out. Sheesh! How many times do I have to tell you that?” Buffy said defensively.

Joyce gazed at the two of them and shook her head, somehow knowing better. As much as Buffy denied that there was anything between them, Joyce could tell through subtle looks and smiles that her daughter definitely liked Spike more than just a friend. It was fairly obvious that he was quite protective towards her and that he was in pretty deep despite the various conversations and teasing she would overhear them exchange to one another. His body language said it all. Being in a fairly new town, Joyce felt more comfortable going on this trip if she knew someone was going to look after her daughter and Spike fit the bill perfectly.


**


At Merrick’s house later that night

Buffy plopped herself down on the couch beside Niko. She was a little tired from tonight’s patrol. Spike had gone into the kitchen to get himself some blood and her a soda while Caden and Angel went into separate bathrooms to get cleaned up. They had come upon a nasty demon who just happened to love spraying wonderfully mucusy goo on its victims. Unfortunately, Angel and Caden got the brunt of it along with jibes and side comments from both Spike and Niko on the way to Merrick’s house.

Merrick emerged from the study, happy to see that his ward was safe.

“So, Merrick, are we still going to do that little camping trip you’ve been like nagging me to do for the past month? Since Mom’s away for a while and I don’t have school, now’s like the perfect time and all.”

“Ah, yes. Well there might be some change in plans.”

“Awww, but Merrick there really isn’t any other time that I can do this without having to make some lame excuse to Mom.”

“I know Buffy. The retreat itself is long overdue. We should have done it last year but with everything going on…” the watcher sighed. “I was really planning on doing it this weekend but I have to go out of town and help my friend with his umm ... little problem.”

“Friend? You actually have friends, Merrick? … So which Watcher needs your help now?” Niko asked.

“How can you assume so easily that it is a Watcher?”

“Come now Merrick, it’s not like you guys really socialize with anybody else. Does this have something to do with those spell books you’ve been looking at lately?”

Merrick shook his head at the vampire’s answer. Unfortunately, he was right. “Yes. I need to deliver him some things that he will need.”

“Well why doesn’t he just come over here to get them?” Buffy asked.

“It’s not that easy, Buffy. Let’s just say he doesn’t want to leave where he’s at at the moment because he doesn’t want to take his eye of his problem.”

Buffy let out a sigh. “Alright, I guess we’ll just have to postpone it.”

“Well I’m glad that you were looking forward to this trip. It is actually a very important piece of Slayer training.”

Spike came into the room with a mug of warm blood and handed Buffy a can of cola.

“Spike ...” Merrick called out.

“Wot?!” the bleached blond vampire said looking up from his warm mug of blood.

“How much do you know about the vision quest ritual?”

Spike raised an eyebrow. “Hell no Watcher. I’m not going to do it.”

“You know the ritual Spike?” Buffy asked wide-eyed.

“No. Don’t know any of that soddin’ shit. And even if I did … ” he said glaring at the watcher. “I’m not going out there into the wilderness.”

“But this is a very important part of Buffy’s training.”

“Yeah, that’s why you need to be administering it.”

“You know as well as I do that the Watcher is mainly a facilitator to ensure the Slayer doesn’t lose her way.”

“Wait a sec. Why would Merrick even suggest that Spike do it in his place?” She said turning to Niko?

“Because Spike used to be a Wat … testa di merda! “ he said turning to Spike who had hit him upside the head.

“A watcher?! Spike used to be a Watcher?!” Buffy said with a mixture of disbelief and excitement.

Spike let out a low growl, “Vaffanculo!”

Niko matched his growl and was about to retort back but saw the stern look in Merrick’s eye.

Spike look at the room smugly. “I’m not doing it. It has to be in a bleedin’ dessert for crying out loud. And in case you’ve forgotten Watcher, I’m a vampire. ‘m not her Watcher.”

“Well the dessert is the most ideal area, yes. Given of course that the First Slayer was born in Africa. However, the essence of the ritual merely calls for a secluded area, away from the distractions of man. I’m sure that we can find a suitable area where the ritual can be performed. As for not being her Watcher, in a sense you are her guide. You help her train and you help her prepare for what lies ahead.”

Spike let out a sigh as he looked from Merrick’s determined gaze and Buffy’s hopeful look. For some strange reason the bird was set on going this weekend and he did promise her mum that he’d look after her.



**

“Good god Slayer. It’s just the weekend. We’re not movin’. What in bloody hell is taking you so fuckin’ long?” Spike called out from the bottom of the stairwell where he was waiting for Buffy.

Buffy stuck her head out of her room and stuck her tongue out at him. “Oh shut your complaining. I’m finishing up over here. Just want to make sure I’ve got the essentials.”

“Essentials? This is a damn vision quest. It’s part of your training, not a bloody vacation.”

She frowned as she stepped out of her room and threw her backpack at him, effectively hitting him square in the chest.

“It’s about time, pet.”

She rolled her eyes at him and ignored his comment. “Did you get everything else loaded in the car?”

“Yes! Now let’s get a move on.”

**

The drive to the national park wasn’t bad. Buffy complained about Spike’s choice in music and they argued about that for a good half hour with veiled threats of biting or staking of the other party. They eventually settled on a compromise of switching radio stations every so often. They arrived just in time to get all the necessary permits before the offices closed and about two hours after sunset they were nicely settled into their camp site with a roaring fire. They were fortunate enough to find a spot near a small cave or alcove that was big enough for Spike to settle into during the day where he would wait for Buffy.

Buffy seemed a little too happy and excited about the trip and despite the small arguments they had on the way over here, she seemed to be in good spirits. She had insisted on packing marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate for the trip saying that she was going to definitely have some S’mores goodness.

Spike watched as Buffy roasted marshmallows and placed them between two graham crackers and chocolate. He took a bite of the sweet concoction she offered. He smiled appreciatively, but his mind was preoccupied by other things.

This wasn’t a good idea. The Watcher must have been on something to have agreed to this. Or did they think that just because he had been good the past couple of months that the temptation had disappeared. Buffy was close enough that if he reached out he could touch her cheek and at the moment, nothing was there to really stop him from doing just that. It was just the two of them, away from home, away from her watcher and the other guards. The demon inside wanted to finish off what it had started months before.

Spike shook his head to clear it. That wasn’t the reason why they were here. He was here to help her on her vision quest. He wasn’t here for his own selfish reasons but for her training, well-being and all the other shit that went with that. Spike let out a sigh. He was in too deep. He knew he wanted her. He craved to be with her, touch her, and dared even imagine taking her body and soul. There was no denying that he cared for her more than just a guard cared for his ward.

“Um, so when are we going to start this?” Buffy said as she licked a finger that was smothered in marshmallow and chocolaty goodness.

He was slightly mesmerized by what she just did and didn’t hear exactly what she just said. “Concentrate you damn git!” he thought to himself. “Wot?”

“I said, when are we going to start this quest thingy.”

“Oh. Well, it’s typically done during the day, pet. I’m assumin’ because the vision quest could leave the Slayer vulnerable so daytime and sunlight should provide some added protection. Since I ain’t performing this in broad daylight, was thinkin’ we’d do it before sunrise.”

“Ok,” she said with a giggle. “I can’t wait to see you dance around the fire and jump in and out of the mystical circle.”

“Dance? Wot the bloody hell are you talkin’ about?”

“I asked Merrick what the ritual was like. He told me the Watcher, or in this case, the acting Watcher was going to dance around with a gourd and then jump in and out of a circle.”

Spike started chuckling. “Well sorry to disappoint luv, but I ain’t goin’ to do that.”

“You’re not? But isn’t it necessary for the ritual?”

“That’s what Watchers have been led to believe. I’m guessin’ some ponce of a spell translator thought it would be fun and put it in there. But if you break down the real essence of the ritual, it doesn’t necessarily call for dancin’ nor any of the skippin’ in and out of the mystical circle. Actually the only real important thing is your state of mind and the incantation.”

“Oh, so no dancing and no gourd.” She said with a little pout.

“Well if makes you feel any better pet, I still have to shake that gourd over the fire.”

“Not the same. … But are you sure? I mean how can you be sure the ritual will work if you don’t dance?”

“Oi. I bet you just want to see me shake my sexy butt, luv.”

“Hah! As if. …” She said rolling her eyes before she started giggling. “I would never want to see your fat ass.”

“Sure, pet. Sure” He said grinning. “Till then, hurry up with those smores, luv.”


Buffy went about making some more smores as Spike leafed through the book, checking to make sure he could pronounce the incantation correctly.

“Spike? Tell me about a Slayer. I like hearing about some of the things you guys did through the years.”

Spike looked up from the book, slamming it shut as he reached out for the smores she offered him. “Well, anyone you want to hear about in particular?”

“Hmmm… I don’t know. Was there anyone that didn’t like you guys?”

The blond vampire laughed. “Why would you want to know about yourself pet?”

“Hey. I like you guys. It’s just that you can be so annoying some times. But … well ... yeah …”

Spike dismissed it as nothing, not daring to read anything else into her reply. “Um… There were quite a few actually, that didn’t like us I mean. I remember one bird. Her name was Macy. She was a blacksmith, pretty good at it too. But she rather fancied me impaled by one of her creations than to be anywhere near her.”

Buffy gave him a questioning look. “What did you guys do? I mean, did she let you guys patrol with her?”

“It took a while. She was a loner to begin with being orphaned as a child. The only one of us she even really interacted with was Caden. ‘Course that bloke always seems to have a calmin’ effect on those around him. He swears he doesn’t have thrall, but I don’t know.”

“Well, so how did she find out she was a Slayer?”

“Well from what I can remember, when both her parents died she ended up with her uncle who taught her the family business. But he wasn’t that much of a parent being drunk half the time. Anyway, being a blacksmith, she just thought that her extra strength came from years of her uncle making her lift hammers and helpin’ out in the forge. It wasn’t till a small pack of vamps came after her that she found out her powers were more than just years of blacksmith training.”

“She didn’t have a Watcher?”

Spike shook his head. “No. We found out that he had been killed in an accident before reaching her. So without a Watcher to explain the situation, the concept of vampires as guards was hard to accept.”

“Why didn’t the Council just send another Watcher?”

“Honestly? I don’t know, pet? Some political reason I gather. We were all she had.”

“Oh. Does that happen often? I mean the Council doing things like that.”

Spike let out a slight snort. “The Council is concerned with only one thing and sorry to say this pet, but in all honesty, it’s not your safety and well being. You, the Chosen One, and every other girl that has come before you and will come after you are nothing more than weapons in their eyes. You are the vessel of good that fights for humanity.”

“If that’s the case, then why even have you guys on the payroll?”

“Because we have access to things that are restricted to humans. We’re all in the same lot, pet. We’re just all just tools for the Council to use.”
16 – Incomplete or Complete by Thianna


**
A/N: Thanks to Amarysso for betaing.

CHAPTER 16 – Incomplete or Complete


Buffy woke up to find herself tucked into her sleeping bag inside the alcove by their campsite. The last thing she remembered was Spike with a gourd in one hand and a book in the other, performing the vision quest ritual. That was when the sky was still dark and she was sitting by the fire.

She felt movement beside her. She turned to see Spike, deep in sleep, mumbling something unintelligible. She smiled warmly at him. It was the little gestures like tucking her in that made her want to spend time with him despite some of the crap and attitude that comes out of his foul mouth -- foul but oh so sexy mouth and lips.

She quietly sat up and stretched some of her muscles before she headed to their supply pile for some breakfast. As soon as she grabbed a few granola bars and a bottle of water, she felt something rubbing against her left leg. She let out a small yelp in surprise as she quickly looked down to see what it was.

A small bobcat rubbed one more time against her leg before it sat down on its hind legs and started purring at her. It tilted its head and looked at her curiously for a moment before it stood up and headed towards the hiking trail a few feet away from their campsite. When it sensed that Buffy was not moving towards the trail, it turned around and purred again, beckoning her to follow. Nodding in understanding, Buffy grabbed her jacket and followed the bobcat, not knowing exactly where it was going to take her. There was something inside her that told her she was meant to follow the animal.

**

Buffy had been sitting on the same boulder for the past three hours. She would have been bored out of her mind if not for the bobcat that kept her company even after it took her to this place. The view from this high up in the hiking trail was magnificent. She could see the valley and the trees below. It seemed like an endless stretch of nature. There were no distractions here – no sounds of cars or airplanes, no school, no traffic. None of the things that made life interesting and at the same time stressful existed here. There were no demons to worry about. Well at least she hoped there weren’t any. This was supposed to be a sacred place.

The bobcat pawed at her arm again wanting her to scratch its head as it shifted slightly on her lap.

“You sure crave attention,” she said with a giggle. She knew she should be freaking out a little. She had a wild animal on her lap purring contently and she in turn was cooing to it.

Buffy’s really good at handling all sorts of animals.

Buffy giggled again at remembering what Spike said when he had picked her up for the dance -- that dance on the night of St. Vigeous. It had been a while now since she thought about that fateful day. It seemed like a lifetime ago when in reality it was just a little over a year. It was funny how life can change so dramatically. She almost died that night, but somehow she pulled through. Thanks to Spike of course.

When she thought about that night, there always seemed to be a part of it that seemed hazy. The others had told her that it most probably was an after-effect of the thrall that Lothos put on her. Deep down however, she felt that there was something else going on and as usual they were keeping her in the dark. Why do they do that? They expected her to fight baddies and all sorts of demons but they would never give her the whole picture. She usually had to pry it out of them. She understood that they were trying to protect her, but how was she supposed to do her job when she didn’t have a good understanding of the entire situation. She was young, not fragile. Spike and Niko were the only ones that seemed to trust her judgment on things. Of course their attitude to things were always fight now and deal with the consequences later.

To act is better than to just watch.

Buffy looked around frantically. She thought she heard someone just talking. “Um… is anyone there?”

Surrounded by many but always alone.

Again the same voice but Buffy couldn’t see anyone. She took a deep breath and pushed down the small lump that was forming in her throat. She placed a hand on the top of the bobcat’s head to calm herself somewhat, finding comfort in the other animal’s presence. “Where are you?”

I am here… always here… my immortality living in you.

The voice sounded like it was coming from her right and she quickly turned her head to see if there was anyone there. From the patch of trees a lone figure emerged from nothing. She was covered in face paint and there were a few tattoos on her body. She made her way towards Buffy, taking a seat on the hard ground just a few feet away from the young Slayer.

Buffy looked at the stranger. Though she looked a little menacing with her clothing and tattoos, there was a comforting feeling to her presence.

“You have come to seek me out. What do you want to know?”

“Know? Um … My calling … “

“You question it? You wonder what the future will hold? “

“A little, yes. Why me? Why was I chosen?”

“The magic chose you. You were deemed worthy.”

“But I’m sure someone else would have been better.”

“Yet you fight. You survive. You kill. You slay.”

“Yeah.”

“You’re hiding. That isn’t what you want answered. You wonder about the future, if you are allowed to feel anything else aside from anger and fear.”

“I want to know about the others. Slayers don’t last long, but what kind of life did they live? Is this all that exists? To slay each night and nothing more?”

“That is why you exist. You are the Slayer. But why do you ask me this question when you already have an answer deep down. You already belong to another,” she said pointing to her neck.

Buffy looked at her puzzled and touched her neck, feeling the slight bump of the bite mark Spike had given her. “This is nothing. It was necessary to help me.”

She shook her head. “That mark is protective yet incomplete.”

“Incomplete?”

“It requires a word to invoke the magic and a declaration to make it deep.”

Buffy thought about it for a moment. Somehow she knew what word needed to be said. But she was questioning why the woman mentioned declaration?

“Why do you keep asking questions you already have answers to young one?” She moved closer to Buffy, pressing her nose to her neck as if to sniff the mark. “He smells familiar. Warrior-kin.”

“Warrior-kin?”

“He fights by our side always. He claims he is forced but in truth he desires it. But with you it is deeper. It is much deeper.”


**

Spike woke up alone. He quickly got up, careful not to accidentally step outside the alcove. There was a brief feeling of panic as his mind raced wondering where Buffy had gone too. Then he remembered where they were and why they were here. He hoped she was okay.

“I never would have thought I’d ever see you dressed up that way,” a sweet feminine voice called from behind him.

Spike quickly turned around but sensed nothing. He reached out with his senses but there was no one there. Then he heard giggling followed by laughter – a laugh he hadn’t heard in over a century.

“Helena?”

“Nice to know you still remember me, somehow.” The voice took shape, taking a seat beside the mesmerized blond vampire. “I missed you, William.”

Spike couldn’t help but smile at that. “I missed you too, pet. … Um … pet, I don’t mean to be rude or anything but how and why are you here?”

“You know the reason to that. I’m here for the Slayer.”

“She isn’t here. Her vision quest happens on hollow ground. You know that, luv.”

“Well I’m here for her but it mainly concerns you.”

“Me?”

“Yes you,” she said with a giggle. “Seems like you’ve been busy lately Spike.”

“Just the usual, pet. I haven’t done anythin’ out of the ordinary.”

“Really Spike? Biting a Slayer part of your job description now?”

“Not like I haven’t done it before, luv.”

“But I don’t remember you ever biting me so intimately,” another voice answered. From the shadows a tall, beautiful dark-skinned Slayer emerged.

“Nikki?”

The newcomer smiled sweetly. “I’ve been watching you too.”

“Well don’t I feel all wanted and special. But what is this really about?” Spike asked with concern.

“Well like I was saying you’ve been busy. You know what you did.” Helena replied.

“It was necessary at the time okay. How many times do I have to explain that to everyone?”

“Easy Spike! We’re not here to criticize you. We’re just wondering why you chose to keep the claim dampened instead of breaking it.” Nikki asked.

Spike started pacing. “Um… well … just didn’t seem right okay. I’m keepin’ her safe. So what does it matter?”

“It matters because she’s incomplete this way. You’re incomplete this way. The sooner you admit what you’re feeling the better for everyone.” Helena replied.

The vampire’s eyes grew bigger though part of him didn’t dare hope what he thought he heard his former charge was suggesting.

“Oh come on Spike. I don’t remember you being this dense. You were always the I-want-it-therefore-it’s-mine vamp in the group.” Nikki quipped.

Helena looked at Spike tenderly. “It’s my fault. He’s afraid of what might happen. He’s afraid of what he might lose. I know Angel is already on your case about this. But when did you really listen to Angel anyway?”

“She … Buffy… she can’t… I mean … well … BLOODY HELL!”

Helena giggled as she leaned closer to him and kissed his cheek. “Don’t wait too long, okay?”

“But she can’t …”

“Why do you doubt yourself that way?”

“She’s a Slayer, Helena.”

But she just answered him with one word and a knowing smile as she faded away. “So?”

“Spike, I know why you fight beside us and I feel honoured to have known you.” Nikki took one of his hands in hers and squeezed gently. “I know what you did for my little Robin. He’s a fine man because of you.”

“I didn’t do anythin’ pet. You should thank Crowley for that one. He stayed by his side, takin’ him in and raisin’ him.”

“Yes, Bernard did. But you gave my little Robin a chance in this world Spike. You gave him the opportunity to be whatever he wanted. I know you’ve set aside an account for him. I’ll forever be grateful for that.”

Spike smiled as Nikki planted a kiss on his cheek before she left him to his thoughts.

**

Spike waited outside for Buffy, staring at the small fire he created an hour ago. He leaned against a tree, a cigarette in one hand as he thought of what he saw earlier. Were they really there? Or was it just a dream and his mind playing tricks on him? Did he really hear them say that he should finish off what he started? That couldn’t be right. Why would two dead Slayers tell him that he should go ahead and claim the current one? Why would they go so far as to tell him in so many words that leaving things the way they were wasn’t good for either him or Buffy? No. It was just wishful thinking. There was no way Buffy would ever want him.

“It matters because she’s incomplete this way. You’re incomplete this way. The sooner you admit what you’re feeling the better for everyone.”

He could hear Helena telling him those words once more. Should he dare? The few relationships he had in the past were nothing more than physical. Those relationships were just something to pass the time and to bury his need. But Buffy was … different.

He heard footsteps approaching and he looked up from the fire to see Buffy walking towards him from the hiking trail.

The blond Slayer was deep in thought the entire time she walked back towards their campsite. The bobcat that had been her guide walked with her, purring on occasion to announce that it hadn’t left her side. She welcomed the company but there were just a few things she had to sort out in her head.

The first Slayer told her about the bite marks on her neck. She told her that they meant something more than just a scar. Part of her realized that what she just found out made sense. It explained why Spike always seemed to show up first when she was feeling a little under the weather or when she had a flash of panic. It explained why she found herself wanting to spend more and more time with the bleached vampire. That in itself raised another question. Did she really like him, or was it just a side effect of him biting her? Does he really even care about her or was biting her just a means to keep tabs on her and nothing more? She was confused and she wondered how in the world this little vision quest was supposed to help her become a better Slayer. She felt before she saw Spike near the campsite. She felt a little tingle near her neck upon seeing him casually smoking a cigarette.

She had a feeling things were going to be awkward between them. How was she suppose to act around him now? It was a little easier earlier today when she could just ignore that whatever it was she was feeling for him was nothing more than a little crush. There would be no way she though he would be interested in her, despite the few kisses they shared months ago. But the seed was planted and the words of the First Slayer still lingered in her mind.

“He fights by our side always. He claims he is forced but in truth he desires it. But with you it is deeper. “

Could her words be true?

“Oi!” Spike called out.

“Hi!”

“Everythin’ okay luv?” he said eyeing the bobcat that was now making its way towards him. He wondered what it was going to do. Without so much as looking at him, the cat just started rubbing against his leg, purring contently. “And who might you be?” he said bending down to pet its head.

“Oh. Guess you can say that he’s my guide.”

Spike’s brow immediately furrowed. From what he could remember from old Watchers’ diaries, the vision quest was meant for the Slayer alone. That meant only she would be visited by previous incarnations of herself and only she would be able to see the guide that would lead her to hollow ground. But here it was, purring by his leg and licking his thumb when he stopped petting it. What in the world was going on? First he saw Helena and Nikki, and now this. The only conclusion he could think of was that he somehow got dragged into her quest and if they’re still both seeing the guide, then that meant it wasn’t over yet.

Buffy watched as Spike petted the purring animal. Because of what she had heard to today, there were so many questions she wanted to ask him. However, she just wasn’t sure how to ask. She ended up staring at him, finding some strange comfort that he was close by. This was stupid. She had questions that needed answers. What was he going to do anyway? Get angry? Well if he did, then at least she’d finally know where they stood in their relationship with each other.

“Spike?”

“Yes, pet?”

“I know it’s been a while, but um… well I was just curious I guess… You said that you’ve tasted Slayer blood before.”

He nodded. “Yeah. Wot about it?”

“I know what everyone has been telling me about what happened that night. You know the night with Lothos? I have this scene in my head that I’m not sure if it happened or not.”

Spike stood up to his full height not really sure he liked where she was going with this.

“Spike?” There was but one word that she remembered from that scene that has been playing in her head ever since she started making her way back down here. It was the same word that she felt like she had to say out loud now. “Yours …”

The blond vampire looked at her with wide eyes as he felt the weak claim he had on her move to the front of his mind. The claim was still incomplete but her admission had now made it evident that it existed. There was no way now that Spike could hide it, and from the faint feeling of determination he was picking up from her, she didn’t want him to. To make the claim official, Spike would have to drink from her once more. She then had to utter once again the word that recently changed everything between them. In her own way she had accepted him. Now everything lay in Spike’s hands. She moved closer to him, finding comfort in just being near him.

Spike closed the distance between them and tenderly looked at her as he cupped her face with his left hand. “Do you know what you’re doing, Buffy?”

The Slayer was taken aback a bit by Spike using her first name. He was serious.

“It felt like it needed to be said. Something happened that night right? There has to be a reason why I had to say that word.”

Spike looked away. What should he say? The demon inside him was telling him he was a fool for even questioning this. It was telling him to just rush her, take her and make her fully his. It was tired of all this hiding. It was tired of being denied what it had wanted and needed for so many months.

“You can still turn back Buffy. Your response wasn’t binding.”

She started worrying her lower lip. Didn’t he want her? Why did it seem like he was pushing her away? Shouldn’t he be like jumping with joy that she was agreeing to be claimed? Instead, he was questioning the response she gave him. She looked up at him and what she saw touched her heart. Spike was looking at her with such concern and could it be love?

Spike felt the unrest through her. “Buffy, I want you more than anything in this world. … I just want to make sure this is what you wanted. What we’re going to have isn’t going to be easy. I mean, it’s strange enough that a vampire is serving as your protector, but to be your umm… more than that? … You know the council will frown upon this. You know the others will not approve.”

Buffy gave him a small smile then pressed her body against his, tilting her head upward to lock her eyes on his. He lowered his head and brushed his lips gently against hers, deepening the kiss only when she wrapped her arms around his neck. She pulled away reluctantly to gasp for air but Spike didn’t like the slight loss of contact so he moved his kisses to her neck. He felt the subtle thrum of her pulse beneath her smooth skin and he pursed his lips on top of his old bite mark, worrying it with his lips. She moaned and tilted her head to expose more of her neck to him.

Spike let his fangs descend as he gently sank them into her smooth skin. The taste of her blood on his tongue was a myriad of emotions that were hard to distinguish from each other. There was joy, need, comfort, lust, fear, uncertainty and maybe even a hint of guilt. He had wanted this for so long and waited patiently almost convincing himself that having just a small part of her was enough. Now she was offering herself to him wholeheartedly and as he uttered his claim on her and heard her response, he felt a sense of satisfaction he never thought he’d ever experience.

He ran his palm against one fang, letting his blood seep through the surface. Without much prompting, Buffy took his hand and licked at the wound, looking at him with shining eyes as her tongue danced against the cut.

“Mine,” she whispered with bloodied lips.

“Yours,” he replied as he bent down to clean her lips of his blood.
17 - What I Asked Him to Do by Thianna


**
A/N: Thanks to Amarysso for betaing.


CHAPTER 17 – What I Asked Him to Do

The return trip to Sunnydale was a bit different than the one the Slayer and her guard experienced a few days ago. There was less tension in the air and noticeably more laughter with a few happy sighs.

Spike looked down on Buffy’s sleeping form. She had fallen asleep a few minutes ago, leaning against him with his arm protectively around her shoulder. He smiled to himself. He felt a sense of relief wash over him that he no longer had to keep the claim and how he felt about her a secret. He had reinstated the claim and she had in turn initiated her own. They belonged to each other now, though mate doesn’t quite describe what they were to each other. Not yet anyway. That was something Spike would want to remedy in the future, but just not yet. He didn’t feel like she was ready for all of that though he could tell her body spoke differently. He knew that with the claim in place he could easily sway things to his favor but he wouldn’t make that decision for her. There were already many things in her life that she had no control over. He wasn’t going to add to it.

He soon parked the car on Merrick’s driveway and Buffy roused from sleep just as soon as he turned the ignition off. She smiled up at him and leaned over to give him a quick kiss on the cheek before she stretched out. A small frown crossed her lips when she realized where they were.

“Why are we here? I was hoping you’d take me straight home.”

“Sorry, luv. You know Merrick would want you to check in with him as soon as we got back.”

“Well he could call and I’m so not in the mood to deal with Mr. Brooding Shadow.”

Spike couldn’t help but chuckle at hearing Angel’s nickname pass through Buffy’s lips. Sure enough, the first one to greet them as Spike stepped out of the car was his Sire. He had a stern look on his face.

“I trusted you William. I thought you would have known better.”

Spike let out a sigh. “She’s safe. The vision quest was administered and there’s no apocalypse in the horizon. I think I’ve done a pretty good job mate.”

Angel turned to Caden who had gone outside with Niko and Merrick following him. “I told you we should have forced him to break it. Now look what has happened. He didn’t have enough self control and look at what he’s done now.”

“You’re questioning my bloody self-control? Fuck you Angel!”

“I knew you couldn’t do it. You were always impulsive and reckless.”

“And what would you have done last year with the whole Lothos thing?”

“I would have had the sense to set her free.”

“Why do you keep on thinking that she’s a prisoner?”

“Because you’re taking her freedom away.”

“THAT’S ENOUGH! I’m tired of being the topic of discussion here. Everyone is talking about me but no one is talking to me!” Buffy exclaimed as she moved from the other side of the car to stand beside Spike. “I am not imprisoned. I have free will and Spike didn’t force anything on me.”

“He bit you.” Angel tried to reason.

“Because I wanted him to. Because I asked him to.”

Angel, Merrick and Caden looked on in surprise while Niko seemed to be smiling to himself and giving Spike a toothy grin.

Buffy looked at her two guards and her Watcher with dismay. “The way you guys are looking at me it seems like we have an apocalypse in our hands.”

“Buffy, do you even know what you asked him to do?”

“Nothing more than what I did to him.”

Caden stepped forward to examine Spike’s neck but only the mark of the vampire that had drained him was visible. The elder vampire took a deep breath and leaned his head against this vampire he viewed so much like a younger brother. “What have you done, Spike? I can’t protect you from everything you know.”

“I don’t need protecting Caden. You know I would never harm her. If I have kept myself from harming a Slayer I disliked, do you really think I would harm one that I … umm … cared for?”

“I don’t know if I can keep Angel from contesting this.”

Spike just shrugged his shoulders. “Why is he so against this anyway?”

“He has his reasons and despite all the bickering and arguing he does care about you.”

“Sure he does.”

“He is your Sire.”

“Not by choice. I was forced upon him.”

“Yet for over a hundred years he has kept watch over you.”

“Because the Council pays him to do so.”

Caden wanted to argue some more but the heated discussion between the Slayer and her head guard was growing louder.

“Buffy, how could you do this? You let yourself be claimed by a vampire?”

“So?! It is my decision. It is my life.”

“You don’t know what you’ve done.”

“And I can’t believe that you would keep something this important from me. For months now I’ve known something was up but none of you would let me in on it. You’ve told me it was nothing… that it wasn’t important. You’ve lied to me. You’ve forced something this important away from my knowledge and have made both of us suffer for it. How many more months of this would you have let me… let him endure? I was missing a part of me… I was feeling incomplete.”

“None of this would have been necessary if he had done what I had asked him to do in the first place. You would not have been subjected to such feelings.”

“Maybe. But couldn’t you have let me decide on my own if I wanted this or not? I have enough people in my life telling me what I should and shouldn’t do. Here I am risking my life for the world and I can’t even make decisions on my own. I’m not a child Angel. I’m the Slayer. If I’m old enough to save the world, don’t you think I’m old enough to make decisions that concern my life? You’re my soddin’ guard not my mother.” Buffy looked a little puzzled as the English slang word came out of her mouth. She looked at Spike in wonder but the vampire just grinned at seeing his girl tear his Sire a new one.

“Buffy, dear… We only have your well being in mind.” Merrick commented.

“So does Spike!”

Merrick let out a sigh and looked at his charge and the vampire that had dared claim her. The day Merrick found out that he was assigned to the unknown Slayer was also the day he first met all four Vampire Guards. He met Spike first actually since he was the one that opened the door to the office where he was told about his new assignment.

“Oi, he looks a little old, but at least I can tell he can fight.” Spike said with a toothy grin. “Welcome to our merry band of misfits. And don’t believe everything they have in my file about me.” He said handing Merrick a thick stack of papers. He then proceeded to walk passed the stunned watcher with a very irate older vampire calling after him.

“Get your butt back in here Spike.” Angel called out.

“You know about me and closed spaces Peaches.”

“Exactly, there’s no connection between you and enclosed spaces.”

Spike turned around and gave his Sire a smirk before turning to look at Niko. “Hey, Niko you look bored. Up for a spar after I smoke?”

Niko looked up. “I’ll join you now,” he said as he got up and headed for the door.

“Stop. None of you are leaving. We’re here to meet the Watcher, get acquainted and figure out how to deal with the unknown Slayer.”

Spike just shrugged his shoulders, lowered his head for a second before plastering an overtly fake smile on his face before turning to Merrick. “Hi. I’m Spike and this here is Niko. We’re Vampire Guards and you’re a Watcher. We protect the Slayer and you train them. In this case we have to find the bird first so might I suggest a modified locator spell. And before you protest about the spell, it exists, specifically tailored to find the bird’s signature and all. Now I’m off for a smoke.” He turned and walked down the hall followed by Niko who was chuckling the entire time.

Merrick looked back into the room to catch Angel pound a fist into the table and Caden, leaning against the far wall with an amused smile on his face.

“Umm… how did he know you could do a spell like that?”

Angel let out a sigh but it was Caden that answered. “Because there was a time in his life he was one of you.”


Merrick had learned early on that Spike was never one to follow the rules which made it all the more of a surprise to learn that before he was turned he was nothing more than a quiet Watcher. Not even a field agent at that… just a quiet librarian that happily catalogued books and read all day. Now he was anything but quiet. He had read what other Watchers had written about William the Bloody so he shouldn’t have been surprised to see that Spike had reiterated the claim and now with Buffy’s prompting had completed it.

This was all Merrick needed. How was he going to tell the Council that his charge was now mated to one of her guards? If they felt lenient then maybe Buffy would just be on probation and he would have to force the two of them to break the claim. If they felt threatened, then he wouldn’t put it pass the Council to call for the execution of the Slayer and her vampire lover. Why did he even allow the incomplete claim to exist months ago? He should have pressed the issue then. But would it have mattered? Merrick once again looked at Buffy then at Spike and saw the tenderness in their eyes when they looked at each other. Despite the anger that she was showing towards Angel, her body didn’t seem as tense and there was a quiet confidence in her stance. As much as he didn’t want to believe it, Spike was good for her. Spike seemed to balance her out and it seemed like the same could be said for the affect she had on him.

“Buffy, are you happy?”

The question took her unawares. “Huh? Umm… yeah,” she said giving a sideward glance up at Spike, her eyes shining.

With a sigh Merrick turned his back and headed back into the house. Who was he to go against that? Her destiny was to save the world and the life she had dreamt of was ripped away from her. Who was he to begrudge her any form of happiness? But he wondered how Spike was going to deal with the loss when her time came. It was an inevitable fact that though she was the Slayer she was still mortal. He just hoped that Spike would be strong enough to deal with it when the time came.
18 - Claimed Fully by Thianna


**
A/N: Thanks to Amarysso for betaing.

Translation: ceffo = jerk


CHAPTER 18 – Claimed Fully


… Fall 1998 …


Spike was quietly smoking against a huge tree, watching Buffy, Caden and Angel fight off a group of vampires that have nested in one of the crypts. Niko was sitting beside one of the oversized tree roots, his hands behind his head in an obvious state of relaxation.

“Do they do that all the time?” Buffy asked Caden once she dusted the vampire she was fighting.

He afforded a quick glance at the two “slacker” vampires casually talking with each other without a care in the world. “Unfortunately, yes. You should be flattered though.”

“Flattered? What? That they’re getting paid to do nothing?”

Caden chuckled. “No, it means they both think you can handle yourself.”

“Oh.” Buffy said with a small smile. “That’s good, I think.”

Another vampire lunged at her and she quickly dodged out of the way. She threw a punch aimed at the vampire’s nose and while he was stunned, a mischievous thought crossed her mind. She then started backing up and led the irate vampire towards Spike and Niko.

“Hey! You’re not getting paid to talk. I thought you were supposed to be guarding me,” she said with a small playful frown as she avoided another attack.

“You seem to have a handle on things, pet.”

She turned around to get a better view of Spike. She flashed him her signature pout that usually made him feel guilty and do anything she wanted. “But I thought you said you’d always protect me.”

Hearing the slight inflection in her voice, Niko quickly got up and took over the fight for the Slayer. He knew that it was better for his health to be fighting off a vampire than to be caught in the middle of whatever it was Buffy and Spike were going to end up doing. If the blond vampire said the right thing, then Niko would be subjected to romantic mush. If the damn ceffo said the wrong thing, then he’d be subjected to high pitched screams and curses. Yes, fighting a vampire was a much better fate at the moment.

“I did say that, kitten. And I do protect you. But you don’t need me when I know you’ve got everythin’ under control.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, but it would be nice if you actually did your job!”

“Well maybe I’m savin’ up my strength for somethin’ else later tonight, luv.”

“Like what?”

Spike pulled her into his arms and kissed her tenderly.

“Mmm, keep on doing that and I’ll end up losing my concentration.”

“Well you know my thoughts are always filled with you, pet. I just felt that it was safer to stand back and not get in your way.”

“You’re just using that as an excuse to be lazy.”

“Well I promise to make it up to you somehow.”

“Spike?”

“Yes, pet?”

She opened her mouth to say something but then she just closed it and looked away.

Spike studied her intently. “You know I’m happy with the way things are right now.”

“You’re such a bad liar. I know what goes on in that naughty little head of yours especially when you’re sleeping.”

“Yeah, and they are all of you.”

Buffy answered him with a smirk. “Oh stop lying already Spike. I guess what you just said was very sweet and flattering, but I know not all your dreams are about me.”

“So are you jealous?”

“Hah! Hardly!” she said confidently. Spike knew she was nervous about the idea of sex which was why he never pushed the issue. They had claimed each other but they were not mates in the true sense of the word. He had wanted to take all of her the moment the claim bond snapped into place. The claim was asking that it be done but he wasn’t sure if she was ready. He could have taken it anyway, taken it and made her feel good about the whole thing. He didn’t want that though. He didn’t want their relationship to have any doubts. There should be no excuses that what he felt for her was brought about by some metaphysical bond. His feelings for her were real. He truly loved her.

**

Spike stared at the sleeping form beside him as he recalled what happened just a few hours ago. He never would have thought any of this was possible and the sputterings of poetry that were threatening to come forth was making a part of him gag. She was beautiful. He always thought that she was a vision, but nothing more glorious than now. She was sleeping soundly beside him, free of clothing and her skin aglow. He planted a kiss on her shoulder as if in adoration and the sigh that came from her was enough to make his unbeating heart sing. It had been two years since he had marked her and less than a year since they had claimed each other. He waited patiently, waiting for when she was ready to truly be mated to him. She had called him foolish, mocking him that for a vampire that was more than a century old and enjoyed violence, deep down he was nothing more than a helpless romantic. If those words came from anyone else, he would have surely ripped them apart. But coming from Buffy, it was a welcome admission.

She moved in her sleep… exposing the fresh bite marks that once again pronounced that she was his. The mark he had given her earlier that year were faded and seemed like a forgotten memory but in truth, her body hadn’t forgotten at all.

**
… just a few hours earlier …

When he sank his fangs in her neck, he felt her body tense not with fear but with anticipation. He pressed her gently into the mattress as he pulled on her blood and drank slowly. He sighed softly from the taste of her sweet elixir and the warmth of her body. They had shed their clothes in a heated frenzy just moments ago and though Spike was bare, thin lace still kept the Slayer’s modesty. Spike felt his hardening cock brush against the silky fabric covering her warm quim.

“Spike…,” she moaned as she arched her back, pressing herself closer to him.

The blond vampire reluctantly pulled his fangs from her neck and licked the fresh bite marks closed. “I love you,” he whispered in her ear.

That earned him a soft smile as she pulled him towards her for a passionate kiss. She parted her lips and licked his lower lip, inviting him to taste more of her. He happily complied, delving his tongue into her mouth like a foreshadowing of what he was planning to do to her a little later.

Buffy moaned as he teasingly stroked her with his cock through the thin fabric. He pushed into her gently and she could feel the now wet lace rubbing against her clit, adding to the sensation. He broke the kiss to let her breath. He looked at her with lust filled eyes and with the way her body was responding, he knew she wanted this just as much as he did.

Spike let his hand cup a lace covered breast, squeezing it gently as his thumb played with her nipple. He then started trailing kisses down her body until he decided to settle between her legs. He licked her through the lace, tasting both her wetness and his pre-cum as he focused on applying pressure to her clit.

Buffy arched her back, pushing her hips closer to him. She wanted more of the sensations he was giving her. They had never gone this far before. Spike had been the gentleman and would do no more than what she was ready for. But now she was ready for it all. She wanted to be mated to him and belong to him for all eternity. She had heard it would hurt and seeing how big Spike was made her a little nervous. But if sex felt anything like what he was doing to her now, she was sure any pain would be worth it.

Spike licked her a few more times but the smell of her arousal made him impatient. He was aching to taste her. With a growl, he used his claws and the lace was no more. Buffy let out a gasp as the lace was ripped from her body then she felt his cool tongue on her and taste her once more. He worked deftly, licking and sucking, determined to make her scream out in pleasure. She tangled her fingers in his hair, telling him without words that she didn’t want him to stop. Soon her back arched and her climax slammed into her when Spike pursed his lips on her clit and sucked on it.

The blonde vampire hovered over her, waiting for her to catch her breath. He smiled then looked at her tenderly when she finally opened her eyes to meet his. “Pet, are you sure about this?”

“Yes! … Yes, please Spike. We’ve put this off for too long. … I want to feel you.”

“I’ll try to be gently, luv,” he said as he guided himself to her slick channel.

Buffy nodded as she braced herself for the pain. Spike slid inside her slowly, stopping once in a while when she saw her wincing in pain. Once he was fully sheathed inside her, he didn’t more right away. He was enjoying the feel of her around him and at the same time he was letting her get used to him. He leaned down and kissed her ardently, hoping that that would distract her from the pain. When she began to move against him, he rocked his hips slowly, pulling out slightly then thrusting quickly inside her.

“Mmm… Spike. …”

“Does it hurt, pet?”

“A little but… mmm… yes… there… more… “

Spike grinned and angled his body to hit that spot that made her cry for more. They soon found a rhythm that made both of them moan and writhe in pleasure. She wrapped her legs around his hips, urging him to thrust deeper. He pressed his body against hers, the feel of her breasts against his chest only adding to the pleasurable sensations she was giving him. He felt the pleasure building inside him as her thighs started quivering, signaling her impending release. He let his demon come forth and buried his fangs in her neck once more. As he pulled on her blood, Buffy’s orgasm hit her again. Her muscles squeezed him, pulling him with her into ecstasy. The pleasure was so overwhelming that she bit down on his shoulder hard enough to break skin.

“Mine.” Spike murmured.

Buffy tasted blood on her lips as she whispered her response. “I am yours as you are mine.”

“Yes, luv. Yours. Always … forever … completely yours.”
19 - If I Pass On by Thianna


**
A/N: Thanks to Amarysso for betaing.

CHAPTER 19 – If I Pass On

… Fall 1999


Buffy was fumbling with her keys trying to find the right one to open the front door. There were too many things on her mind and she knew she needed to get inside her house real quick before the tears that she’d been wanting to shed burst forth from her. She didn’t know what to do. She didn’t know exactly how to feel at the moment. Somehow she found the right key and turned the door handle quickly, rushing into the house and up the stairs to the safety of her room. She felt really small and helpless. Her Mom was in the hospital and the prognosis didn’t look good. They found a tumor in her brain. The doctors tried to assure both of them that it was most probably benign and that surgery would take care of it, but Buffy had her doubts. There was just something inside her that was telling her this wasn’t going to end well.

Buffy knew how to fight demons and slay vampires. In the past year alone she had wrestled against a werewolf, fought a mummy, gone against some angry conjured spirits and pretty much fought back against every single nasty that had any plans of taking over, using or opening the Hellmouth. She could do all that but she didn’t know what to do about one small tumor that was causing her own Mother so much pain.

Joyce Summers was putting up a brave front for her daughter and even urged Buffy to go home for a few hours to rest. But she didn’t want sleep. She wanted the tumor to go away. She wanted her Mother to no longer hurt. She wanted the possibility of maybe her mother dying to disappear.

In the comfort of her own room, nestled between a pillow and her stuffed pig Mr. Gordo, her tears started to fall and they kept on flowing until she felt that familiar touch on her shoulder. She turned to see Spike, his hair a tangled mess of curls, his eyes tired from lack of sleep. Nothing needed to be said between them. He shed his still smoking leather duster, ignoring the pain he felt when leather brushed against his burnt left hand. He pulled his boots off and climbed onto the bed beside her, wrapping his arms protectively around her.

Buffy let out a sigh and leaned her head against his shoulder. She let the faint smell of cigarette smoke and whiskey wrap around her just as surely as his strong arms were holding her tight. She closed her eyes and relaxed trying to let all the worry and tension of the day melt away. Spike always had that effect on her and she knew this was better than any nap.

“I’ll be here pet, go ahead and rest.” He cooed in her ear.

“No, I want to feel you against me.” She said absently running her fingers up and down his forearm.

Spike winced when she accidentally brushed against his burnt hand.

“I’m sorry Spike. I didn’t mean to call you. I should have shielded … “

“Shhh ... none of that luv. You needed me and I came as fast as I could.”

“But you could have dusted.”

“I’m more careful than that.”

“But your hand …”

“It’s nothing. Just a little burn. My hand will heal.”

“I wish it was just as easy for Mom. I don’t want to lose her Spike. I don’t know what I’d do if she … “

“I know pet. I know what you’re going through.. I wish I had the power to make everything better”

“I can fight everything else. I was chosen to fight everything else that people don’t even know exist but the one person I owe almost everything to I can’t do anything about.”

“Are they sure it’s going to be bad?”

“They said I shouldn’t worry but I don’t know Spike. There’s just something telling me that I should be ready for something much worse. I don’t want to lose her. I can’t lose her.”

Tears were streaming down her cheeks once more and Spike held her a little bit tighter. “I know luv.”

“How?”

Spike closed his eyes. “I’ve seen family and slayers move on. Some I guess felt like they left me, the others I felt like it was my fault. I’m not going to tell you that everything’s going to be okay. I’m not going to sugar coat it. It hurts. It will hurt but I’m here. I’ll always be here for you, no matter what.”



**

… a month or so later …

Spike woke up alone and though the smell of Slayer on the sheets and pillows surrounded him, it wasn’t comforting because he knew his mate was sad. It had been almost a week now since the funeral. Mrs. Summers died due to complications in surgery. Buffy hadn’t been the same since her mother’s death. Merrick and Caden stepped in, helping out with all the necessary arrangements giving Buffy time to properly grieve. Though she didn’t seem to need it. After the funeral she plastered on her sunshine smile and went about like nothing was wrong. Spike knew better but she had closed her emotions to him and he was giving her room by not prying. But she was tight-lipped about the whole thing. She wouldn’t bring up anything about her mother, acting as if she didn’t exist or as if she most probably was out on of her art buying trips. Spike knew it wasn’t healthy and he needed to talk to her, but his girl was smart. It was still a few hours away from sunset and Spike couldn’t track her down.

He waited patiently for her, though somewhat agitated that they weren’t together. Spike had temporarily moved in ever since the doctors decided that surgery was the best option for Mrs. Summers’ condition. Now though, Angel had decided that it would be best if at least two of them stayed at the house to look after Buffy all the time. Spike wasn’t sure if his Sire’s intentions were just to make sure he wasn’t alone with his mate or if it was just genui9ne concern for the Slayer’s safety. Now though he was thankful that at least Niko was here. The dark haired vampire was trying to ease his worries

“Spike will you sit down. She’ll be fine. It’s just about two more hours.”

“But … “

“You know she’s not helpless. She just needs time.”

Spike just nodded.

Both vampires couldn’t wait for the two hours to be up. Once he knew he could risk it Spike was out the door to look for Buffy. Niko was happy to see his friend go so that he could finally get some much needed sleep that Spike interrupted with his temporary brooding.

Spike went around town looking for Buffy but didn’t find her in her usual stomping grounds. As the sky finally darkened and stars started appearing he remembered the one spot Buffy always went to after patrol. It was sort of a cliff and had a great view of Sunnydale. He hurried to her special spot and sure enough Buffy was there, sitting against a large tree looking at the scenery below her.

“I thought I’d find you here.” He said moving closer towards her.

She wiped her cheeks trying to remove any evidence of her tears. She took a deep breath to calm herself before speaking. “How did you know about this place or did you track me down using the claim?”

“I didn’t want to use the claim. I didn’t want to intrude but I’ve known about this place for some time now.”

“How? What, you’d follow me after patrol?”

When Spike didn’t answer Buffy’s eyes grew bigger. “Ewww… stalker much.”

“Hey! I think protective would be a better word,” he said taking a seat beside her. He turned his head and studies her closely. He could smell the salt of her tears and the blood that came from her lower lip which he knew she bit when she was worried or deep in thought. He urged her a bit forward then moved his body to take a seat behind her. His legs were on either side of her hips. He leaned against the tree and wrapped his hands around her waist, gently pulling her with him so that she her head rested his shoulder.

“Spike?”

“Yes luv?”

“I was powerless to save her. I’m the Chosen One and I can’t save the one person that loved me and gave me life. I haven’t exactly been the best daughter either. Do you think she knew I loved her?”

“She did pet. Mother’s know those things. And you were with her. You were by her side when she needed you. I’m sure that meant a lot to her.”

Buffy could hear the sadness in her mate’s voice. “What happened to your mother?”

“I… I wasn’t there for my Mum in the end. I watched her strength wane and no magic nor medicine could cure her. Once I even thought about turning her. She was a beautiful woman and I adored her. She ..,” he let out a sigh. “This woman that had cared for me since I was a babe didn’t deserve to die weak.. She deserved life and on more than one occasion I really wanted to turn her. I wanted to give her that feeling of freedom, that sense of power. I wanted to give her a day where she didn’t have to worry about illness.”

“I can understand that. I wouldn’t blame you for thinking about it.”

“But I was being selfish. I didn’t really think things through. Caden talked me out of it. He told me that I wouldn’t be giving her life in that sense. I wouldn’t be giving her something that she might not want. So I watched her spirit break and her body consumed with sickness. In the end, when she needed me, I wasn’t there. I didn’t return in time to be with her as she passed.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Long time ago, pet.”

Buffy nodded and snuggled closer against him. Nothing else really needed to be said at the moment. They both found comfort in just being close to each other.

“Spike, … itt’s beautiful here. I always thought it was beautiful here.”

“I know luv. I can see why you’d choose this spot.”

“It made me feel good when I look down there. It seems so peaceful and beautiful and I had a hand in that. Somehow I had something to do with how pretty it is down there.”

“You have a lot to do with it, pet. I don’t think either of us or anyone would want to find out what this place would be like if the Hellmouth opened or if an apocalypse did happen. You do that each night Buffy. You’re the reason people can sleep well at night and why children don’t have nightmares.”

“I hate them.” She said bluntly.

Spike tilted his head to get a better look at her face and it was hard, etched with anger and obvious hatred.

“I hate them because they go about their lives without a care in the world. They go about complaining how life is so hard but they never realize that they’re the lucky ones. They go around blind to everything else in the world except their own petty problems. How many apocalypses have we averted Spike? How many have you helped quell? And still the world fights over stupid shit.”

“We all have a role to play in the world, Buffy.”

“Then why me? Why does it have to be me? Why did it have to be my mother that has to pass away? Is this my reward for helping the world? This shit? This fucking life which when you look at it means nothing in the end? I have nothing Spike -- no dreams to live for, no family to love.”

“You have me,” he replied sadly.

“I didn’t mean it that way Spike. But in the end wouldn’t I just end up causing you pain? I sneaked a peek into Merrick’s journal and I saw something that bothered me.”

“Wot?”

“Something I didn’t even consider before but… what would you do if I finally fulfill my destiny.”

“Destiny? Wot are you talking about?” In reality, Spike had an idea where this was going and he didn’t like her line of thinking at the moment.

“When I pass on, what would happen to you? What would the claim make you do? You were angsty earlier because I wasn’t there. I can only imagine … ”

Spike shook his head. “Do we have to think about something like this now?”

“I’m curious. Indulge me.”

“Truth? I don’t think I’ll be able to exist without you. I would want to be where you were.”

“Spike … don’t. When the time comes I wouldn’t want you sad. I wouldn’t want you to follow me. I want you happy just like you want to see me happy. And there will be another Spike. Someone will love you just as much.”

“Don’t talk like that Buffy. I don’t want anyone else. I claimed you for a reason. I want you and only you.”

“But I won’t last forever and it would make me sad if I passed away and you cling to my memory and only my memory. You’re all I have now Spike. But if I go, I hope that you’ll be able to find someone that can love you just as much as I love you.”

“I don’t like this talk. Nothing will happen to you Buffy. I promised to love and protect you always.”

Buffy leaned back and snuggled against him. “I miss her so much Spike. I miss her so much it still hurts. Will the pain ever go away?” she said changing the topic for his sake.

“Eventually. The guilt will pass, pet. So will the regret.”


**

Angel sat quietly in the bar area of the Bronze, sipping his drink slowly. Niko came in and walked towards him with a smile.

“Well I got that taken cared of. Feel like hitting the cemeteries next?” he asked Angel.

“We might as well before it gets too late. Caden said he’ll meet up with us at Willy’s in about two hours.”

Niko nodded and made his way towards the exit. Angel looked up at the bartender and placed a few dollars on the countertop to pay for his drink when he turned and out of the corner of his eye he saw someone familiar. It was a pretty brunette talking to two guys at the far end of the bar. Angel shook his head to clear it. Logically he knew it wasn’t who he was thinking it was. That would be impossible since that girl died almost two centuries ago. He knew for a fact that she was dead because he knew exactly who killed her. That thought brought a frown on his face as he slipped out of the Bronze.

The girl looked up feeling that she was being watched for a moment and a devilish grin crossed her lips.
20 - What Now? by Thianna


**
A/N: Thanks to Amarysso for betaing.

CHAPTER 20 – What now?

… Merrick’s House, 2000

It was another uneventful night. Angel and Niko had dropped off Caden at Revello Drive since it was his turn to keep Spike and Buffy company. Buffy seemed to be holding up much better today given the circumstances.

Angel quietly slipped into his room and plopped down on his bed. He was almost asleep when his nose was assaulted with the faint sent of lilies. He quickly jerked into a sitting position as he felt another presence in the room.

“Who’s there?”

From the shadows a figure emerged. “I usually got something more pleasant than that.”

“It can’t be.”

“Why not? Stranger things have been known to happen my love.”

“No, this isn’t real. It has to be a dream. You’re dead.”

The figure moved closer and sat down on the bed beside him. Angel could see the figure’s features more clearly now. He knew that long dark hair and those eyes that always looked up at him with such love. She gave him a small smile. “I’m sure you know better than anybody about that little fact since you did the deed. Since you sank your loving fangs into my neck and drank me into you.”

“That wasn’t me.”

“Oh, I forgot. That was Angelus. But is there really any difference? You know that light cannot exist without the dark. And our love… my love existed because of evil and begot evil.”

Angel looked at the figure with such sorrow and pain.. “I don’t know if there are enough apologies in the world to show you how I truly feel.”

Her hand hovered near his cheek. “You don’t need to apologize. It was my fate. It was my choice. I loved you. I couldn’t let them take you.”

“You used your body to shield me but Angelus used your body as food.”

“Shhh…. This guilt … it weighs heavily on you my love.”

“It keeps me going. It helps me fight each night.”

“But you could be so much better than this love. You could be so much stronger.”

“What are you talking about?”

‘Your soul is just a burden. Don’t you want to just let it rest? Isn’t it time for it to sleep?”

“But … “

“Shhh… Let me take care of everything Angel. Let me make you what you were truly meant to be.”

Angel collapsed on the bed while the figure smiled at her handiwork. Her plan was finally coming into motion. Soon the Slayer will be in her grasp and the Hellmouth will open. She had been waiting patiently for years and soon she will get what she had always wanted.

**

… a week or so later, 1630 Revello Drive …

“Niko … I’m really sorry about this.” Caden said solemnly as he opened the door.

Niko shrugged. “Like I have a choice … “ Niko walked passed him and into the living room where he noted that the Slayer and Merrick were discussing something.

“Yes you have a choice. Tonight is your free night.”

“Tell me about it. … But I guess it can’t be helped. I went back home to get Angel but he was already gone. I thought he would be over here but I didn’t pick up his scent anywhere near here.”

“This is like the fourth time now in over a week that he just disappeared to do his own thing. And we need him today.” Caden said with a frown.

“Why him? You didn’t exactly tell me on the phone what was going on.”

Caden gestured Niko to take a seat as he cleared his throat. “Spike is missing.”

“So? You know how he likes to go off once in a while.”

“It’s different from the others Niko. He’s in trouble. I can feel it.” Buffy spoke up with concern.

“Well Sunnydale isn’t that big of a town, can’t you figure out through the claim where he is?”

“That’s the problem. It feels like he’s purposely not wanting to tell me.”

“Who was the last one that saw him?”

“It was me. He gave me a kiss before I stepped out the door. He didn’t tell me he was going out today and he usually tells me if and when he’s going to step out so that I won’t worry.”

The door bell rang for the third time tonight but unlike the others, whoever was on the other side was frantic since the door bell rang over and over again. Caden being closer to the door answered it.

An obviously frightened red-haired teenager looked up. “Oh, umm… Mr. Stewart. What are you doing here? … Is Buffy home?”

“Is everything alright Willow?”

“Is Buffy home? I really need to talk to her.”

Caden let the teenager in. “Oh… Mr. Merrick and Nikolai? You’re here too?”

Buffy stood up to greet her best friend. “What’s wrong Willow? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“Not ghosts Buffy. Vampires. They were … umm… vampires. Please believe me. I know it sounds crazy but… well… umm… they had teeth, no fangs… and yellow eyes … and um.. hmm… bumpy foreheads.”

Buffy looked at Caden with concern before replying. “It’s alright Willow. I believe you. Now tell me exactly what happened.”

“I was coming home from the library when this tall guy grabbed me. I tried to get away but there were like five other goons with him. They had umm… like I said, fangs and bumpy foreheads. I thought they were going to eat me. Next thing I knew I was handcuffed and this guy was talking about taking care of the Slayer’s friends one by one until she had none left. I thought he was going to kill me for sure but then he was talking to this other guy. About half an hour later, they let me go. I didn’t stay around to figure out why. I was so scared that I just ran. I came here because I knew you believe in all that supernatural stuff.”

Buffy nodded. “This other guy that was talking to the man that grabbed you, what did he look like?”

“His back was turned to me but he had really blonde hair and a leather duster. He kinda reminds me of Spike. But how would Spike know about vampires? Much less seem chummy with one?”

Buffy let out a worried sigh.

“Well now we know what happened to Spike.” Niko said.

“Wait, I’m all confused.”

“It’s okay Willow. We’ll take care of this.” Buffy replied.

“Wait, shouldn’t we find this Slayer person that they were talking about. The way I heard some of the guys talking, they seemed afraid of her.”

Buffy looked at Merrick wanting to tell her friend who she really was. Merrick conceded knowing that they needed to let Willow in on their secret. “I’m the Slayer, Willow.”

The redhead’s eyes grew bigger. “You?! You’re the vampire slayer that they’re afraid of?” Then she looked around the room. “All of you guys know this.”

“Yes, Willow. We know of this. There is much we need to tell you but there just isn’t time.” Merrick said.



**

“Are you sure that was where you were?” Merrick asked the red-haired teenager.

Willow nodded. “I’m sure. I know the school inside and out, especially the area near the library.“

“Now why would they take her there? We do a sweep of the school at least once a week and there has been no evidence of any vamps nesting there.” Niko replied.

“Willow, Buffy tells me you’re good with computers. Can you pull me up schematics or any type of blue prints on the city and the school?” Caden asked, offering her his laptop computer.

“Umm… Sure.” Willow agreed but she was still a bit shaken up. Everything that Buffy and the others revealed to her didn’t really calm her nerves. Who would have thought that Buffy was this Chosen One and her friends were actually vampires. Good vampires but vampires nonetheless.

Merrick turned to face Caden. “Are you thinking of doing a cross reference between the school and all the demon activity we’ve recorded for the past few months?”

“That and something else. Niko’s right. If I was going to kidnap someone and lure the Slayer, there are other places with a more strategic advantage than the school. They must have chosen the school for a specific purpose and I’m hoping that I’m wrong.”

“Wrong?” Merrick asked.

“Here you go.” Willow said with a small smile.

Caden leaned in to look at the blue prints Willow had pulled up. “Can you zoom that out just a little bit?”

Willow nodded and did as she was told, while Merrick walked over to the two and looked at the screen.

“Let’s see. There’s the church, the old missionary, city hall, the Bronze and old vineyard. Oh my… this isn’t good.”

“Why? What are you talking about?” Buffy asked.

“The school is right in the center of Sunnydale.”

“yeah, so?”

“Not just in the center of Sunnydale, Buffy. It’s in the center of the five pillars that seal the Hellmouth.”

“Huh?”

Caden spoke up. “The church, the old missionary, city hall, the bronze and …. Contain seals inside the buildings that keep the Hellmouth closed. The reason they used those five buildings is because there are strategic points of access to the Hellmouth there too. But right in the middle is the main entrance into the Hellmouth and that is where the school is located.”

“But with the five seals in place we shouldn’t worry right?” Niko asked.

“Technically, but you know as well as I do that there are always ways around things. The question is how do they plan to open the seal?”

“Well if you ask me, if it’s a dimension to the demon world, I’d say blood is in order. More than 80% of demons always have some form of blood in their diet.”

Both Willow and Buffy wrinkled their noses. “Ewww…. Thanks for the visual Niko.” Buffy commented.

“Still, ordinary blood wouldn’t be enough to break the seal.” Merrick replied.

“Maybe that’s why they need Spike … or maybe …” Niko said slowly then he turned to face Buffy.

“That sounds like a logical plan.” Merrick said musing over the facts in his head. “Capture someone close to the Slayer to lure her in.”

“I think we have another problem though.”

Buffy let out a sigh. “What could be worse than Spike being held prisoner and them wanting to kill me to open the Hellmouth?”

“I think I know who’s responsible.”

“Who?”

“I didn’t want to believe it at first but it’s unmistakable.…” Caden took Willow’s arm, much to her surprise, and started sniffing it. “It’s Angel.”

**
Sunnydale High School

“Don’t look so sad, Spike. I’m sure that if your precious Slayer actually cares about you she’ll come. Of course she’ll come riding to your rescue much much sooner if you’d just tell her exactly where we are.”

“Sod off!” Spike said trying to pull on the chains that bound him.

“Tsk tsk… You have so much potential in you. You must forgive me William. I have been a bad Sire to you.” Angelus said planting a kiss on his child’s forehead. “We are meant to take from this world, not be its lowly servants. But that will all change”

“What are you planning?”

“You see dear dear William. We are on the Hellmouth – the gateway from the demon dimension and this dimension. I’m just going to restore the order of things.” Angelus said stepping back to reveal the area his minions had been digging for a few days now. From afar, it looked like an ordinary sewer cover, but Spike knew otherwise. He could feel the power wanting to escape from the small metal disc.

“You’re going to open that?”

Angelus grinned. “The perfect way to put humans in their place. Of course the only way to open it is through a blood sacrifice and I know who is going to willing donate it too.” The elder vampire moved closer to his child to whisper in his ear. “I’ve given you the best seat in the house for the festivities, William.”

Spike let out a growl and tried to lunge for his Sire. “Don’t you bloody dare.”

Angelus let out a devilish laugh. “You’ll watch helplessly as her very life will be drained from her and you get to live the rest of your unlife knowing that she did this to save you.”



**

Spike braced himself for the pain. Angelus had been toying with him for the better part of the hour and he had the blood stains to prove it. Unfortunately for him, earlier that morning Buffy let him take a taste of her blood which made his body heal much faster than usual. His Sire was not pleased with this fact. He wanted to see his child bleed. He wanted to show him that there comes a point beyond pain where the sensation turns into pleasure. He wanted his child to reach that point and then taste him. Aside from that he wanted him to look battered and broken so that when the precious Slayer came to see her paramour she would feel like she had no other choice than to sacrifice herself. Then at that moment when all hope is lost to his child he would re-claim him – re-instill the Sire-Child bond and teach him the ways of the world as he should have properly done in the first place.

Spike, though chained, was fighting back in his own way. He was defiant and kept the pain hidden as much as he could. He didn’t want to give Angelus the satisfaction that he was actually feeling pain.

Angelus knew that he could just skip all this bloody torture and take what was rightfully his. If he bit Spike and claimed him as his child once more, then the blond vampire’s resistance to his persuasions would weaken and he would be able to lure Buffy here much sooner. Then again, he was having too much fun with his errant boy. The Slayer would come of her own accord. Of that he was certain. He had witnessed the disgusting proclamations of love between his child and the Slayer. It would just be a matter of time.

**

… Meanwhile in 1630 Revello Drive …

“ANGEL?!” Buffy exclaimed. “Now how can it be Angel? I thought that he was on our side.”

“The smell is unmistakably him. And before you ask, no. I’m not wrong. I’ve spent more than a century with him. I know what he smells like.” Caden replied.

“But why? How? Everything he does is by the book. What would make him snap?”


“That is indeed strange.” Merrick interjected. “One would think that out of the four of you Vampire Guards, Angel would be the least likely to turn to evil given that he has a soul.”

Niko let out a chuckle. “Anything can be lost.”

“What do you mean by that Niko?” Merrick asked.

“I was just sort of kidding.”

“Actually… that isn’t far from the truth,” Caden said solemnly.

The other four room occupants gave him a look of disbelief and puzzlement.

The vampire let out a slow sigh before clearing his throat. “Angel is a vampire cursed with a soul. I’ve heard stories, some probably true, about how he was one of the most feared vampires that came from the Aurelian line. He had no love for humans and this in itself wasn’t surprising because he was sired by one of the Master’s beloved daughters. The Master was at that time the leader of the Aurelian Clan. Angelus had carved a name for himself in the demon world but all that ended when he was cursed by a gypsy with his soul. Since then he had lived with fear and guilt. Then he fell in love with a woman – a Watcher’s daughter in fact and she was instrumental in giving his unlife some sort of purpose. Unfortunately, the curse wasn’t permanent and in the heat of passion the curse was lifted and Angelus once more emerged.”

“I’ve never heard of that about Angel. There was nothing on his file that mentioned anything about any of what you’ve just revealed.” Merrick said with slight shock.

“Well because of what happened the Council erased all records of this incident.” Caden replied.

“So how do you know about this?”

“I have more sources and the rest, I’ve pieced together from a few heart to heart talks with Angel.”

“So what happened that made the Council do what they did?” Buffy asked.

“Well, the Watcher’s daughter didn’t care though and loved him nonetheless even though Angelus wanted nothing to do with her. There was some sort of standoff between Angelus and the Slayer and a few Watchers that went with her. However, Angelus’ ex-paramour shielded him. As a reward, he drained her dry in front of the Slayer.”

“Why didn’t the Slayer just stake him right then and there?”

“Because the Watcher’s daughter had performed a spell on herself which resulted in his soul returning to him. In my opinion, she was hoping that if she could show to her father and the others that he could be saved without the soul that maybe they would spare him.”

“But I guess even she didn’t really believe he was capable of it if she did the spell on herself.” Niko said matter-of-factly.

Caden nodded. “Perhaps.., but now Angelus is loose and he has Spike imprisoned. I’m worried. Angelus could use his rights as Sire and we might end up having to fight both of them.”

Buffy shook her head. “No. I can still feel Spike as being Spike.”

“But wait, if Angel lost the soul because he was umm … in love with someone, how is that possible now? I don’t recall him mentioning anything about being with anyone lately.” Merrick interjected.

“We’ve been to the Bronze and I don’t see him with anyone nor have I smelled anyone else on him lately.” Niko added.

“Which has me worried even more.” Caden replied. “We might be dealing with someone else in addition to Angelus.”

Buffy hugged her knees on the couch with a worried look on her face. Things were going to get complicated soon and she didn’t know what to do. The one person in this world who she could turn to was the very person she had to save.
Prologue and Chapter 1 - The New Position by Thianna
Author's Notes:
A/N: Sorry that I haven't been doing many updates. I have up to chapter 27 of this story drafted. Hopefully I'll find the time to finish it because it's got great potential. I don't know when the next update will be but bug me enough times and I might get my lazy ass to post it.
NOTE: This chapter is un-betaed so forgive errors and all that crap.


**



**



Chapter 21 - Not the End but the Beginning

… the next night …

Niko emerged from the kitchen with a fresh cup of tea for both Willow and the Watcher and two mugs of blood for himself and Caden. He was glad that he was able to convince Buffy to get some sleep because if there plan was going to work, she had to be at a 100% or as close to it as possible.

“Any luck?” he asked Merrick as he set the tea in front of him.

“Almost I guess. The Council tried to bury the incident but I think Willow has found a reference somewhere.”

“A little bit more and I know I can find it.” Willow said giving Niko an appreciative look for the cup of tea.

“Well I hope we find it soon. I don’t fancy Spike being under Angelus care for any period of time.”

Caden smiled. “You sound like you care Niko.”

Niko let out a smirk. “Only because it’s more fun to tease the ever living shit out of mister bleach boy compared to you.”

**

Spike was tired. Every single muscle in his body was complaining but for different reasons. The feeling of pain was universal but he could pick out different degrees strewn across his body. When the effects of Slayer blood final wore off, Angelus was so pleased that it seemed like he found a new source of energy as the lashes and cuts came deeper and faster on his skin. Ache. Soreness. Stinging. His Sire had found his amusement and took it out on him. He taunted him with various promises, some about his freedom. Others about sparing Buffy from his initial plan and still others about how he was going to make it better by showing him what it meant to belong to family. He had tempted him with Sire blood but Spike knew better and refused. He knew his body needed it, for Sire blood would surely make all the pain go away, but he didn’t want any excuse for Peaches to enter him and take control.

He wondered if he was ever going to escape from this. If Buffy came, there would be no way for him to help her not that he could in his current condition. He tried to focus his eyes and saw the place that all of the night before Angelus bragged would be the Slayer’s final resting place. He needed to find a way to break free. He couldn’t allow this to happen. He had to save his mate. He didn’t understand how and why Angelus was acting the way he was but those details didn’t matter to him. His demon was furious for so many reasons. He had to find a way to free himself and protect his mate at all costs.


**

“Spike?” , a soft feminie voice said coaxing the unconscious vampire back to reality. “Please, Spike.. please be okay.”

“Wot?” his voice was weak and hoarse. He barely had time to open his eyes when he felt soft lips pressed against his own.

“Shhhh… I’m here now. Everything’s going to be okay.” Buffy said working on the chains to free him.

Spike slumped forward, his tired form resting against Buffy’s.

“Drink.. quickly, “ she said baring her neck to him. “I need you strong enough to be on your own two feet if we’re going to get out of here. And don’t give me any buts or complaints.. just do it.”

He let out a smile before sinking his teeth into her soft smooth neck, lapping hungrily at her blood since he had been denied any type of food for the past three days. He held on to her, happy that she was in his arms and happier still when he heard that moan that escaped her lips as he drank. He knew that now was not the time for such things but he appreciate her body language nonetheless.

“And what do we have here? My errant child and my disgusting daughter-in-law? I had a feeling that they seemed to be taking their time up there… Though I must say the glamour spell you did on one of your guards to pretend that he is you was quite ingeneious.” Angelus called from across the room.

The blonde pair looked at the source and each gave him a menacing glare.
“And look, you freed good ole William. Tsk. Tsk. You had the best view in the room to see the Slayer offer her life for the Hellmouth.”

“I won’t let you do such a thing, mate.” Spike said pushing Buffy behind him.

“No Spike. Let me handle him. You’re too weak, even with what I have given you.”

“Stop this useless talking it’s making me bored.” Angelus said as his vampire features show through. He lunged for Buffy, wanting to push her towards the opening to the Hellmouth. The Slayer defended herself and as Spike was about to help his mate, three minions came from behind him and attacked.

If he hadn’t been beaten and tortured, the three minions wouldn’t have stood a chance. Unfortunately, Spike had been beaten and tortured and though Slayer blood coursed through his veins, he didn’t drink enough to mend all his broken bones and brusied muscles. He tried his best to focus on his own fight instead of worrying about Buffy, but it couldn’t be helped. Even though Angelus was still techinically his Sire, he was a different personality. That meant that whatever Buffy knew about Angel’s fighting still might not necessarily apply to how Angelus fought.

He tried to keep a level head and keep the bond between them open, hoping that it would help in giving her that extra push she usually got when he fought beside her.

Buffy was biding her time. She knew what the plan was and she was waiting for the opportune moment to strike. What she had hidden in her jacket pocket was the reason they waited two more days before going after Spike. They found the spell to restore Angel’s soul and it took those extra days to get it ready. She didn’t ask for the specifics of the spell. She didn’t need to know. All she had to do was make sure once Angelus was weak enough, to throw the small sphere containing the spell at him and when the sphere broke his soul would return. It seemed simple enough except for the fact that Angelus was putting up a pretty good fight. She knew she had to concentrate on her fight but she couldn’t help but be worried about Spike as well. She knew that he was careful and didn’t drink as much as he should have.

//Focus! Buffy don’t worry about me.// Spike called out through the claim.

//Well I’m so sorry for caring.//

//Buffy, luv, you know what I meant. You’ve seen what Angelus has done to me. Don’t take this fight to lightly.//

//I just need the right opening … //

Spike broke contact as he felt a minion lunging for him and he twisted his body avoiding the blow. He caught the minion’s head in his hands and twisted, breaking the vampire’s neck, reducing it to dust. He was heaving unnecessary deep breaths. He was still too weak. This fight shouldn’t have caused him any problems. He changed tactics then and instead dropped a few of his defenses to draw his opponent closer so that he could clamp onto something with the intent of draining them. Minion blood wasn’t that nourshing but right now, his body needed blood. He drank hungrily while the last of his opponents watched stunned and in fear. When he was finished, the drained vampire slumped to the ground and with a menacing growl he focused his attention to the frightened minion who promptly took a few steps back then ran, leaving his master to the slayer and his child.

Spike let a satisfied smile cross his lips for a moment before pouring his attention back to his mate. He turned just in time to see Buffy throw the sphere onto Angelus chest. It broke into pieces as it his the elder vampire’s chest, mist enveloping him while liquid soaked into his shirt. A blood curdling scream rolled through Angelus’ throat as he clutched his chest in pain.

Spike rushed to Buffy’s side and pulled her a few steps back unsure and a bit mistrusting of magic. Angelus screamed once more in pain as the smell of burning flesh permeated the air. Yellow eyes burning with hatred focused on the Slayer and her mate.

“You fucking bitch.” Angelus said with seething hatred. He had a mind to be kind enough to make her death not as agonizing as he would have liked but now he wanted to rip her into shreds.

“It’s not working!’ Buffy cried out with worry.

“What the fuck were you trying to do?”

Buffy turned to Spike. “It was suppose to return his soul back. It’s suppose to make him Angel again.”

The dark haired vampire stood up gingerly and started laughing. “Foolish Slayer… Angel is still in here… just sleeping but in here… But if you’re interested in me gaining a soul, why don’t I get yours.” He let out an ominous growl, baring his fangs as he lunged for the pair.

Spike acted quickly and shielded Buffy with his body. He gritted his teeth as his sire’s claws and fangs pierced through his flesh

//Run! Get away from here!//

Buffy shook her head unwilling to leave without her mate who she had come to rescue.

//Damn it Buffy… Just … go … // Spike fought for consciouness but his body wasn’t cooperating.

“Now Slayer, how much do you love your mate? Do as I say and I give you my word I won’t kill him.”

Buffy gave him a defiant look.

“You have no power here Slayer! Open the hellmouth with your blood or else I will kill him.”

“You wouldn’t kill your own child.”

“then you don’t know me at all… or maybe you just don’t love him as much as he claims you do.”

Buffy looked upon Spike’s slumped form, pressed against his sire’s body. She knew he was already weak and the gaping wound that Angelus just inflicted on his neck was making him bleed precious blood from his body. She bit her lower lip in indecision. She oculd hear Spike calling her foolish for even considering this. The mission was important and logically, she should have called Angelus’ bluff and let Spike die, but the sense of protecting her mate was overthrowing her logic. She took a step towards the metallic disc that served as the gateway to the Hellmouth. She could feel power beneath it… a power that her Slayer self recognized. She didn’t know much about magic but there was something inside her telling her that she could prevent the Hellmouth from opening if she could just harness power… Maybe if she could strengthen the wards with her blood instead of weaken it, maybe she can find a way to buy the others enough time to come down here and help Spike.

She took another step forward and bend beside the metal disk, she saw one of the shards from the sphere that held magic that they put their hopes on.. now she was hoping she could tap into the slayer inside her to help her do what she needed to do. She cut the fleshy part of her palm and pressed her hand against the cold metal. The metal seemed to drink her blood hungrily and started pulsing with power. She could feel that power connecting to her as it fed on her blood, using her essence to break the wards set upon it. She pulled that magic towards her, tried to reshape it in her head, trying to think of anything that meant seal… she thought of metal bars, a cage… anything to focus the magic she was pulling into herself so that she could seal the hellmouth instead of open it. Suddenly, she was enveloped in a column of white light and the magic she was pulling into her burst forth as she lost some control.

The ground started to shake as if she had focused the energy into the earth itself and it answered with its own rumble. The magic coursing in the air coupled with the mini earthquake was threatening the integrity of the room. Angelus had loosened his hold on his child just as Spike was gaining some form of consciouness.

Spike tried to focus his sight and clear his head at the same time. He shrugged himself lose from his sire’s hold and surprisingly was feeling a lot better than a before he passed out. He looked down at his hands and moved his arms to find that all his bruised musecles were no longer bruised and his ribs were actually healed. What in the wolrd was happening? This couldn’t be Slayer Blood since he didn’t take too much from her. Could it be Buffy’s doing through the claim?

//Spike?//

He looked up to see the bright white light in the center of the room. A feeling of dread coursed through him. The center of the room was the opening to the Hellmouth but he wasn’t feeling anything evil spewing out. He felt warm and strangely at peace.

//Buffy?//

//Are you okay? I called the others. They should be on their way to help you.//

//I feel magic, pet. What are you? … STOP! Buffy stop what you’re doing. I’m fine now. Let go and lets get out of here.//

//I can’t.//

//What do you mean you can’t?//

//The magic was activated with blood. If I don’t stay and make sure the seal is in place, it will take my blood and energy and the Hellmouth will open instead of being sealed tightly.//

//WOT?!// Spike rushed towards the column of light, pressing his palms against it hoping against hope that the magic was not solid even though he already knew the answer to it. He pounded angry fists at the shield that was preventing him from getting to his beloved.
//Hurry, I don’t think this room will last that much longer.//

//The others are close Spike. Get out with them.//

//I’m not leaving you here.//

//Stop being stubborn and listen to me!//

//I’m not leaving you luv. I promised that I will stay by your side always.//

//No I came here to save you and that’s what I’m going to do.//

“BUFFY!’ Spike cried out loud, pounding uselessly on the barrier.

Buffy turned to face him, a sad smile on her face as she pressed a kiss on the barrier. “I love you.” She said as she raised her hand and two beams of light were pushed forth from the barrier, knocking both Spike and Angelus towards the entrance to the room just as Niko and Caden arrived. The foundation started collapsing and Caden quickly grabbed Angelus while Niko pulled a screaming and distraught blond vampire away from the chaos.

The school was imploding on itself as the Vampire Guards rushed to escape. They reached safety just as the second floor of the school crashed down, reducing the entire building into rubble. A single solitary column of blinding white light shot up from the exact center of the school and slowly dispersed into the night sky.

Spike fell to his knees. She was gone. He couldn’t feel her anymore inside his head. He couldn’t even sense her physically. He fought back the tears that he didn’t want anybody else to see and he turned his pain, his emptiness, into anger. Picking himself up quickly he threw a punch aimed at Niko’s nose.

“What the… Spike?!” The dark haired vampire yelled as he nursed his now bloody nose.

“Why in bloody hell did you pull me away from there you fuck? If I had stayed a bit longer I could have saved her.”

Niko bowed his head. “It wasn’t my choice Spike. It felt like she had control of me. She told me to get you out of there.”

“BOLLOCKS!” Spike turned around and was walking towards the pile of rubble, intent on digging her out. She had to be alive. She was alive but unconscious that’s why he couldn’t feel her. That was it. That was the answer. She was alive beneath all that and he had to rescue her.

“SPIKE! Don’t … ” Caden called out.

“SOD OFF WANKERS!” Spike said as he reached the edge of the debris and started lifting rubble out of the way, tossing it behind him.

“Spike, …”

The blond vampire felt the familiar presence of his Sire beside him. “I can’t feel her.” Angel said. He was back to his old self again. The magic Buffy harnessed was able to bring his good side back in control once more.

“Like you even care you bloody ponce! This.. none of this would have happened if it weren’t for you.” Spike turned around, his eyes glowing an angry amber as he shoved his Sire away from him.

Angel looked away in guilt.

“Is that all you can do? Look the fuck away. That’s the only thing you’re good at isn’t it? Each and every Slayer we protect, when it comes to the end all you can do is look away.” Spike wanted to rip him apart. He didn’t care that Angel was his sire. He was the reason his mate was hurt and unconscious beneath all that rubble. How dare his sire just look away? Every time a Slayer died, all he felt from his sire was indifference, a sort of coldness. No other emotion was evident on his face but that utter indifference. “You told me you wanted to give me everything. You told me you wanted to make me whole. Well Dad! BRING HER BACK! Bring her back to me because she’s the only person in this soddin’ world that made me complete.”

Angel turned his eyes to his child and though his lips remained unmoved his eyes were racked with guilt.

Spike looked around and he saw Nikolai and Caden bow their heads “If you’re all going to gawk and stare then just fuckin’ leave.” He went back to tossing debris out of the way.

Caden put a heavy hand on the younger vampire’s shoulder. “Spike …”

“Don’t say it. Don’t you bloody dare say it.”

“It will be daylight soon …”

Spike shook his head. “Not for me. I’ve lost the sun.”


**

Spike had been awake for over an hour now but he just didn’t feel like getting out of bed. It didn’t seem like there was a really good enough reason to start the day.

He could hear the others bustling about, packing and getting ready for their road trip to somewhere in the Midwest. They were going to leave Sunnydale behind because it was their job to leave Sunnydale behind. The next Slayer has been called and their obligations here were over. He knew he should be packing too. Even though he wasn’t planning on going with them, the council was getting rid of Merrick’s house and they were putting Buffy’s house for sale. He needed to find a new place to stay.

He forced himself to get off the bed, pulling on his shirt and jeans before heading out of his room. He could hear a few sighs coming out of Buffy’s room. It was Merrick, sitting down on the floor and boxing up the rest of his charge’s belongings. It didn’t seem right seeing the middle-aged man on light colored carpet surrounded by dolls, stuffed animals and other girly possessions.

“Oi” Spike said from the doorway.

Merrick looked up and acknowledged him with a nod. Spike made his way inside and headed straight for Buffy’s dresser. Her brushes, make up and other trinkets were still in their cases and the way she left it, it seemed like she was coming back to put things back in order. Spike pushed the lump that was forming in his throat and suppressed the tears that wanted to flood his eyes. He took a seat in front of the dresser, taking in Buffy’s lingering scent.

He knew he was partly insane for a number of reasons. One, for subjecting himself to such torture as to be in her room where everything reminded him of her. Here, he was filled with some hope that maybe she was still alive because the room still held a part of her. It had her clothes, her trinkets, her posters – her life. It held the things that made Buffy uniquely Buffy. Two, he was insane because he wanted to be reminded of her. He wanted to fill his senses of her and pretend that she was still alive. But there was no helping it and his heart was aching. He fell in love with her, there was no denying it even if he wanted to. He claimed her and loved her and for that brief time they were together he was truly happy. After a century of existing, he was finally alive. He blamed himself for not being strong enough. How many times had he sworn to her that he would never leave her side? How many times had he promised he would make everything better? But when the situation called for it, he couldn’t protect her. He was too weak to take care of himself that’s why she had to do what she did.

There was a soft knock on the door. Spike turned around and saw Niko with a solemn expression on his face.

“We’re leaving when it’s dark enough.”

Spike just nodded.

“You’re really not coming?”

“Bah, you don’t need me mate. I’ll keep an eye on the Hellmouth for all of you.”

“So noble of you!” Niko said sarcastically hoping it would lighten his friend’s mood.

“What can I say?” Spike said with a smirk.

“It will stop hurting, you know.” Niko said sympathetically.

“When?”

“I don’t know Spike. I’ve never been in love before.”

Niko said his farewells to Spike and Merrick before he left the room.

Merrick taped up another box full of Buffy’s clothes and was set on starting the next one when Spike stopped him, telling the Watcher that his elderly bones needed a break and that he would take care of things himself. The middle-aged man understood what he wanted and graciously left the room.

Spike locked the door and turned around to survey the room. He took a step towards the bed and placed a hand on Mr. Gordo. An image of her giggling as she squeezed the stuffed pig flitted into his mind. He tried to let that image stay in his mind, to comfort him but all it did was make him realize she was gone. Spike fell to his knees in a fit of tears. His vision blurred and his lips tasted salt but he didn’t care. He had lost her and the warmth he had felt for the past few years was replaced now by … nothing. Absolutely nothing.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=16963