Blonde on Blonde by lucky021
Summary: Buffy Summers moves in to a five bedroom house for her first year at UC Sunnydale. She meets Spike and there's an instant attraction, but his dark past and her own insecurities may keep them apart.
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Sexual Situations, Child Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 39 Completed: Yes Word count: 136761 Read: 49815 Published: 04/05/2004 Updated: 11/23/2004

1. Prologue by lucky021

2. Abandoned Love by lucky021

3. Shelter From the Storm by lucky021

4. Temporary Like Achilles by lucky021

5. Mixed Up Confusion by lucky021

6. Simple Twist of Fate by lucky021

7. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues by lucky021

8. All I Really Wanna Do by lucky021

9. It Ain't Me Babe by lucky021

10. Tell Me, Momma by lucky021

11. I'll Keep It With Mine by lucky021

12. On a Night Like This by lucky021

13. Let's Keep It Between Us by lucky021

14. Love Sick by lucky021

15. Not Dark Yet by lucky021

16. Where Are You Tonight? by lucky021

17. Farewell Angelina by lucky021

18. Idiot Wind by lucky021

19. Cold Irons Bound by lucky021

20. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 by lucky021

21. To Be Alone With You by lucky021

22. Lay Lady Lay by lucky021

23. Standing in the Doorway by lucky021

24. It Ain't Me Babe by lucky021

25. Mississippi by lucky021

26. Tomorrow is a Long Time by lucky021

27. Can't Wait: Part 1 by lucky021

28. Can't Wait: Part 2 by lucky021

29. Black Crow Blues by lucky021

30. Visions of Johanna by lucky021

31. Pledgin' My Time by lucky021

32. Love Minus Zero/No Limit by lucky021

33. One of Us Must Know by lucky021

34. Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight by lucky021

35. Ballad of a Thin Man by lucky021

36. Mama, You Been On My Mind by lucky021

37. I'd Have You Any Time by lucky021

38. She Belongs To Me by lucky021

39. Epilogue: I Want You by lucky021

Prologue by lucky021

A/N: This story will have elements of rape, slash, sex acts that may be considered kinky, threesomes, drug use not always portrayed as a bad thing, and probably a few more things one may find offensive. If any of this bothers you, feel free to read as long as you don't bitch about it.



This story will be mainly and finally Spuffy, but Spike will screw around with a few other people, men included, and elements of Spara will be scattered throughout.



Please review, it makes me all warm inside, and constructive criticism is always helpful. Enjoy!




"Throw my ticket out the window,
Throw my suitcase out there, too,
Throw my troubles out the door,
I don't need them any more


'Cause tonight, I'll be staying here with you."


-Bob Dylan



 


5 Bedroom Home


We're looking for a 5th housemate to complete our strange home. Currently housing two writers, one artist, one poet, and one very anal accountant. Preferably someone with an open mind who's willing to share in the household chores and meet new people. Great house, lots of space and two excellent cooks. Only $350/mo, that includes room and board! Contact Anya at A.Jenkins@ucsunnydale.edu



***



Anya,



I'm writing to you about the ad I read in the Chronicle about the need for a housemate and I think I'm your woman. I'm a sophomore, Art major/English minor and I don't think I can stomach the dorms for a second longer. You can e-mail me back at this address with any questions and I'd love to come meet you and everyone else if you're interested.



Thanks,


Elizabeth Summers



***



Elizabeth,



Everyone in the house is eager to meet you as any other candidate for housemate has turned out to be psychotic, annoying, too excited or not excited enough about our resident lovers, or worst of all, an old flame of somebody here.



Thank God no one recognized your name, we need a move-in ASAP to keep the rent down. If you'd like to come see the house and meet everyone, let me know what time is best for you, weekends are fine until about 8, then everyone usually leaves to find the increasingly elusive orgasm.



Anyhow, let me know as soon as you can, and I hope you love us and the house enough to pay to put up with everything.



-Anya



***



It was three o'clock on a Saturday afternoon and Spike Giles was in love.



He was staring at the most beautiful sight he'd encountered in quite a long time. It was time he stopped mourning his past and moved on, and this dark beauty was just what he needed to do that.



Trouble was, did he have the money to afford such a sexy beast.



"Listen, kid, if you can't afford to put a down payment on her you can't take her for a test drive."



"Willie, listen man, I just need a few days to get some things in order, then I'll be able to put one hell of a down payment on this beauty, just please, don't promise her to anyone else."



Spike couldn't believe he had lowered himself to begging this lowlife for a beat up old black DeSoto that was obviously far past its prime. There was a time in his life when this would have seemed high class, but he was past all that, ready to start new. This car was the key to his new life, if only he could get the money.



"Spike, you know I'd love to do you a favor, but I gotta eat too. Get the money by tomorrow, or this baby's gonna be gone."



Spike sighed and ran his fingers through his bleach white locks. "I'll get it, I don't know how exactly, but I'll get the money. Just keep her hidden 'til tomorrow, got it?"



"You got it man."



Spike took one last lingering look at his dream machine and walked out of the car lot. He grabbed his cell phone out of his pocket and dialed Anya's number.



"Time I called in some favors."



***



"Spike, just wait, I have some news!"



"I don't give a bleedin' fuck about anything but my money Anya. You told me that I'd have it back by the first of this month, and here it is, the fifteenth and you've got nothing for me!"



"That's what I'm trying to tell you if-"



"No, I don't want to hear your excuses. You needed a loan to keep the house, and I wanted to help, but when push comes to shove, I need this car more than we all need to stay in an overpriced shack near campus!"



"Spike, just hold on-"



"No, I'm tired of holding on. I don't care who you get to move in, it can be Hitler for all I care, you just get somebody and quick, because I'm this close to pulling out of this place altogether!"



"That's what I'm trying to tell you if you'd shut the hell up for two seconds. We found somebody, some artist/writer, you'll like her. She's moving in tomorrow and she's even willing to pay for the whole month, so I've got your money sitting right here in front of me if you'd like to come pick it up and go buy that hideous hunk of metal you call a car."



Spike was silent for a moment, nothing this good ever happened to him when he desperately needed it to. Finally a slow grin spread across his face. "Bloody hell, Anya, I may just have to kiss this girl."



***



Buffy let out a long sigh and wiped the sweat off her brow as she sat, finally, on her bed in her new home. Moving was hell, granted it was much better than she had anticipated due to the fact that all of her new housemates except for the poet she hadn't met yet had unexpectedly offered to help, but hell nonetheless.



She had a good feeling about this place. It was homier than anywhere she'd ever lived except for her mother's home in Seattle, and the people seemed to be really caring and friendly. Tara and Willow, the couple living in the room across the hall from hers had to be the kindest people she'd met since coming to California, and Xander was a brotherly type goof that she'd automatically felt comfortable around. Anya was a little blunt and a little lazy, but she could tell that she cared deeply for her friends, even if she was hard pressed to admit it about Xander.



She still had yet to meet the elusive but obviously admired Spike, brother to Willow and true friend of all. From what she could tell from Tara's description, he was sensitive and vulnerable, but hid it all behind a rough exterior. Of course, Tara seemed to have a serious soft spot for the guy that no one else really shared, they all liked him well enough, but no one else would admit to seeing the softer side of Spike. If Buffy hadn't seen the way Tara and Willow were with each other, she would swear that Tara and Spike had something going on.



Buffy sat up as she heard a car pulling into the drive. More like a hunk of junk, she thought, upon seeing the old DeSoto halt near the garage. All disdain for the classic vanished however when she saw the driver step out and move toward the house.



"Please don't let that be Anya's orgasm friend." Not too tall, not too short, bleach blonde hair, black leather and the tightest body she'd ever seen in person. "Oh, yum, please tell me they call you Spike." Buffy hurried to make herself as presentable as possible, considering she'd just spent the entire day hauling boxes up and down too many stairs. She checked her outfit in the mirror and decided it was perfect for casual first meetings with a slightly sexy edge if she played it right and then walked downstairs as calmly as she could manage while images of adonis in leather danced through her head.



Xander was already speaking animatedly about the, apparently, new edition to the driveway when Buffy made her way into the kitchen with the rest of the house.



"I can't believe you actually bought it man."



"Yeah, well, when I say I'm gonna do something, I get it done. That beauty was made for me, wasn't gonna let some creep abuse her. She just needs some lovin', then she'll be as right as rain."



"God, you are so weird, I can't believe we're related," Willow said grinning as she walked in behind him.



"I'm weird? I get excited about normal things like cars, you go all crazy over chemistry experiments and a bit of chanting."



"We call it spell casting," Tara said looking at Spike in a way that made Buffy think there was definitely more to the story of those two than she'd been told. Spike's answering look confirmed her suspicions.



Suddenly his gaze fell on Buffy and they both could have sworn they felt an electric current run through them. "Someone going to introduce me?" he said in a lower, much more sexy than playful voice that made Buffy's knees turn to jell-o. He took a step closer to her and she had to fight to stay standing.



"I'm Buffy," she said softly, extending her hand to him. "I just moved in today."



Spike brought her hand to his lips and kissed her knuckles softly, sending a tremor through them both at the contact. "Well, hello Buffy, I'm Spike."



"Hi," she managed to squeak out. God but he was even sexier up close.



"I have to thank you."



"For what," she said wrinkling her brow in way Spike found absolutely adorable.



"Because of you I was able to buy my dream car." He leaned in to whisper in her ear, "but I'm starting to think that she wasn't the most beautiful or exciting acquisition of the day." Spike leaned back and gave her another devastating grin before walking up the stairs, leaving a dazed Buffy and a very amused, very intrigued lot of housemates."


***

Abandoned Love by lucky021

A/N: This chapter deals with a lot of history. Not much more than wistful thinking Spuffiness, so if that’s all that you’re looking for, just wait for the upcoming chapters. A lot of this story will deal with relationships from the past and their impact on those characters’ futures. Please let me know if you like where this is going. The song in this chapter is called “Abandoned Love” by Bob Dylan.



“I can hear the turning of the key
I've been deceived by the clown inside of me.
I thought that he was righteous but he's vain
Oh, something's a-telling me I wear the ball and chain.

My patron saint is a-fighting with a ghost
He's always off somewhere when I need him most.
The Spanish moon is rising on the hill
But my heart is a-tellin' me I love ya still.”



"So wait, let me get this straight, Xander and Anya are in love, but so off-again-on-again that most of the time they just annoy each other and everyone else with their unresolved sexual tension?"



"Right, and Spike and Anya have the occasional marathon, but they've never been serious, although they are almost as close as we are with him."



Buffy, Willow, and Tara sat together in the couple's room surrounded by copious amounts of chocolate and ice cream. After Spike left Buffy quivering and full of questions in the kitchen the grinning lovers each grabbed and arm and took Buffy upstairs to explain the strange dynamics of her new home.



"So what's the story with you three, I can see something is there that you guys aren't telling me."



Tara glanced at Willow and she nodded. "It's kind of a long story, sure you wanna hear it?"



Buffy leaned back against the wall and settled in with a pint of Half Baked. She was more than sure, she was absolutely positive. This guy had gotten under her skin with a kiss to her hand and a sexy smirk, she wanted to know everything about him.



Tara sighed, seeing Buffy's version of Willow's resolve face on the pretty blonde. "I met Spike right after I moved to California from Utah. He wasn't exactly the Spike you see today, he didn't even go by that name. So really, I met William when I was just a junior in high school living with my rebel aunt so that I could get away from my family."



"Umm, well, you see I was wondering, and you don't have to say anything at all if you don't want, and I know this is a long shot, but I've seen you around a lot, and I really like what you have to say in class, and you seem like a really nice girl, different from the others, and-"



"William?"



He looked up from under his unruly mop of golden brown hair. "Yes?"



"Would you like to go out some time?"



Buffy smiled at the thought of the man she'd met downstairs, practically a walking embodiment of sex encased in black leather, once being the shy, tweed wearing, bookworm Tara was describing.



"When I first came to live with Spike, just a year before Tara got here, he was even more inept at talking to girls," Willow added with a giggle.



"Wait a minute, Willow. You didn't grow up with Spike?"



"Oh no, sorry. Spike and I have different mothers. He's a year older than me, born in England, lived there until he was fourteen. His mom died giving birth, and he's pretty sensitive about it, just so you know."



Buffy nodded, she knew all to well what it was like to lose a mother. She swallowed back tears and motioned for Willow to continue.



The redhead looked a little worried, but kept talking. "Our dad was over here for about three months just after the funeral with family, Spike's mom was American, and he hooked up with my mother, an old friend of his. From what we can tell it was a kind of comfort thing that resulted in moi. My mother didn't want a relationship and so she never told dad until she decided running off to Spain with her new boy toy was going to be more fun than raising a daughter. Spike and dad moved here and we automatically hit it off, we've been like best friends ever since."



Buffy was surprised Willow was so nonchalant about her mother abandoning her. After Buffy's mother's funeral, her own father had set up a bank account for her and pumped money into it every month, but that was all the contact she had with the man she barely knew. She suspected the only reason he did that much for her was the guilt of screwing around on his wife in Europe while she died of cancer with only her teenage daughter to care for her.



She shook her head to clear it of thoughts of her negligent father and looked at Tara. "Ok, so I get the whole family thing, let's hear the rest. How did you go from one sibling to another, I'm really interested in the part where you explain the whole brother to sister, man to female attraction thing."



Tara smiled. "I guess I always knew that I was attracted to women, and not so much men. William was the only guy who I'd ever even looked twice at, let alone pursue. There was just something about him that was irresistible to me," she paused and looked at Buffy. "Maybe you know what I'm talking about."



Buffy blushed and ducked her head, if he looked at all similar, if he had the same eyes, she knew exactly what she was talking about.



"We kind of fell for each other really fast, but at the same time I was becoming really good friends with Willow and I started to feel things for her, some of them more strongly than I did for Will, but I just pushed them aside. I really did love him, I still do, but I was just lying to everyone about who I was in love with."



"Tara, luv, I know we're young, and I know we've only been seeing each other for a few months, but there's something I need to tell you, and I hope it doesn't scare you, and you don't have to say anything, I just need to let you know-"



"Will, I love you too."



“I come back to the town from the flaming moon
I see you in the streets, I begin to swoon.
I love to see you dress before the mirror
Won't you let me in your room one time 'fore I finally disappear?



"So what happened, what made you guys realize that it wasn't just a friendship that you both wanted?"



"William won a poetry contest and he was able to go to a huge conference in Boston. I was going to go with him, but my parents showed up in California and all hell broke loose. He wanted to stay and help me through, but he had a lot of scholarship money riding on the conference so I practically forced him to go without me."



Willow reached over and squeezed Tara's hand, smiling shyly. "Spike and I were both really upset about what was happening to Tara, before he left he told me that he was counting on me to take care of her."



"I'm guessing you took that request to heart." Buffy got her answer in the smile shared by the lovers.



"We were both terribly confused at this point, and with my parents threatening to make me go back with them and dealing silently with whatever it was we were feeling for each other. Everything was shot to hell, I was trying to call William, but we kept getting cut off. I could tell he was terribly upset, and probably not making the best impressions on the people he needed to. Willow came over, we were alone-"



"Let me guess, one thing led to another and the next thing you know you wake up next to your boyfriend's sister."



“Everybody's wearing a disguise
To hide what they've got left behind their eyes.
But me, I can't cover what I am
Wherever the children go I'll follow them.

I march in the parade of liberty
But as long as I love you I'm not free.
How long must I suffer such abuse
Won't you let me see you smile one time before I turn you loose?”



Tara grinned and Willow laughed out loud. "We kissed, that was it. Granted the kiss went on for about ten minutes, but after that we vowed to keep it platonic. We both loved Spike, though not in the way Tara did, we may be fucked up, but at least we escaped the incest taboo."



"Will came home, my parents left me alone in the end, and Willow and I thought that everything was over between us, I started to focus more on Will, Willow and I hung out less, she actually found someone else."



"Wow, that's brave of you Willow, how did Spike react when you told him you were gay?"



Willow ducked her head and smiled sheepishly. "Someone else was a guy named Oz."



"You guys are fucked up," Buffy said before digging into her ice cream.



"Prom was coming up, I went with Oz, he was a senior, and Tara went with Spike. We both decided to give into the cliche. At least Tara was actually in love with the guy."



"Tara, pet, oh God, I want you so much," he gasped, "need to be with you, luv, need it so much." He froze the second the words were out of his mouth and tried to recover, "but I can wait, I mean, I'm sorry, I mean, I didn't want to bring it up like this. I mean, I just, can't stop thinking about you, luv, I love you so bloody much, I mean, I'm just a bad, rude, man." William hung his head in shame. He hadn't counted on letting things progress so far tonight, he'd been warring with himself for months, trying to keep his hormones in check around her. Tara was his goddess, his queen, his everything. He would wait forever for her, he didn't want to pressure her into anything, didn't want her to think he was that type of boy.



When she kissed him a certain way and her hand managed to find its way over the considerable bulge in his pants however, all this good intentions flew out the car window.



"You know, for a guy with so much skill in the poetry department, you really have a hard time saying what's on your mind around me."



William tried to smile, but he was so embarrassed and angry with himself for bringing it up that he couldn't even look her in the eye.



"Hey, listen to me, Will." She tipped his chin up so that he was facing her and placed a small, chaste kiss on his swollen lips. "You know I love you, right?"



His eyes flew up and he cupped her face in his hands. "Oh yes, luv, God yes, and I love you too, so much, I just want to be the man you deserve." He pulled her close and buried his face in her neck. Tears stung the backs of his eyes but he refused to let them fall and make him an even bigger prat than he already was. "I'm not even a man, I can't even talk to you properly. I can be such a fool around you sometimes. I just want everything to be perfect, 's all. It's what you deserve, less than, I should say."



He pulled back from her and kissed her softly then brushed her hair back and smiled sadly. "I'll just take you back then, shall I, luv. We can do something tomorrow, go to that poetry reading, see that movie you wanted to go to, whatever you want."



Tara leaned in and whispered in his ear, "What if I just want to wake up with you and take it from there?"



William's erection which had not abated at all during his embarrassment, due largely to the fact that Tara's hand still rested in his lap, occasionally stroking lightly, hardened to a painful intensity at her words.



"What do you- I mean, are you sure?"



Tara smiled shyly and looked him in the eye. "As sure as I've ever been about anything. I love you William, and I need you too."



William's grin was as wide as she'd ever seen it, and the open vulnerability in his eyes made Tara's heart ache. He pulled her to him and buried his face in her hair. "God, Tara, I love you. You make me feel so- You make me think I can be a man for you, be what you need." He pulled back and kissed her with all the passion he'd been fighting against since the moment he'd seen her, trying to show her how intense and consuming his love for her really was. She was the only one that had ever rendered him speechless so tonight he would abandon words and show her with his whole soul just what she meant to him.



"Let's get out of here, yeah? My dad's out of town, we'll wake up together, I'll make you breakfast, or we can sleep in if you want, whatever you want, pet, anything, it'll be perfect, just ask and-"



Tara shut him up with a kiss. "Will?"



"Yeah?"



"Just get us there first."



"So you didn't care for Oz at all?"



"No, I did, I really did, I mean, I think I could have loved him, but Tara and I," Willow sighed and couldn't help but lean over and kiss her love, "it was something I couldn't get out of my head, she at least had met and fallen for Will before I was really in the picture."



"I'm guessing Spike was a virgin too, then Tara? The hottie I met today wouldn't have been able to hold the girls off until he was eighteen."



Tara smiled as Willow made silent gagging motions behind her. "He really wasn't at all like he is now, he wasn't comfortable with himself, and certainly not with sex." Tara looked back at Willow then moved close to whisper in Buffy's ear, "he was very willing to experiment, though. And let me tell you, I may not have any other man to compare him to, but sometimes you just know when you've had the best."



She winked and sat back down next to Willow who was warily taking her fingers out of her ears. "You both do realize that while Spike is decent looking, he is my brother, and his sexual escapades, especially those with the woman I love, are not the most pleasant topics of conversation."



Tara just shoved Willow playfully then gave her a kiss so hot Buffy was questioning her heterosexuality. "Talking about Spike still making you irrationally jealous and defensive?"



Willow just smiled and they both turned shy, sheepish heads toward Buffy. "Sorry," they muttered quietly.



"Ok, so I get William, but where the hell did Spike come from? William doesn't seem the type to sleep with Anya recreationally."



Willow and Tara heard a hint of jealousy in Buffy's voice but settled for a secret smile and didn't mention it. "Well, obviously, things between Will and I didn't last."



William didn't believe it. He was drunk, or high, or dreaming, or something, but this couldn‘t be real. There was absolutely no way in hell he was witnessing his sister and the love of his life giving each other what had to be the most exquisite pleasure judging from the sounds they were making.



His hand clenched around the flowers he was carrying and the stems began to snap. He was shaking all over, there was an uncomfortable and terrible heat spreading throughout his body. He’d never felt such a mix of rage, pain, betrayal and confusion sweep through him before. He wanted to run but he couldn’t feel any part of his body but where the thorns in the roses were digging into his palms and the blood was running out through his clenched fist.



They’d had an argument, it was something stupid. She hadn’t wanted to be intimate with him for about a week and he’d finally gotten frustrated enough to call her on it. He hadn’t understood why she was being so cold when for almost half a year they’d been enjoying a fairly active sex life.



Now it was all clear to him, and he’d never wanted anything as badly as to be anywhere but there at that moment.



He heard something making an awful, primal sound, like something being tortured to death. He realized it was him the moment Tara looked up and saw his tear streaked face and bloody fist.



The guilt in her eyes, and then in Willow’s only enraged him further and he took a step forward to-



But he stopped when he realized there was nothing he could do. He loved his little sister more than he loved himself, he’d do anything for her, and he loved Tara even more. They didn’t need him, didn’t really love him, and they clearly didn’t want him around. There was silence in the room when he stepped forward and gently laid the mangled flowers on the dresser next to the bed, he tried to smooth the petals but they just stuck to his hand where he had cut himself.



Tara shifted and opened her mouth but he held up a hand and hung his head. “I’m sorry, I interrupted.” He choked on his words and only then realized that he was sobbing silently, his body shaking. “I’ll just- I’m just, so, so sorry.”



Willow and Tara were in shock. Why was he apologizing? How could they have possibly done this to him?



William’s words cut through their thoughts. “I just, I thought maybe-” He shook his head roughly. “No, no, that was stupid. Foolish, love sick William.” He rubbed his face and didn’t seem to notice the blood that mingled with his tears. Tara ached to go to him, but she was paralyzed. “I just want you to be happy, you both. So bloody, fucking, happy.”



He turned and ran, they could hear his sobs until his car’s engine cut them off.



“I've given up the game, I've got to leave,
The pot of gold is only make-believe.
The treasure can't be found by men who search
Whose gods are dead and whose queens are in the church.

We sat in an empty theater and we kissed,
I asked ya please to cross me off-a your list.
My head tells me it's time to make a change
But my heart is telling me I love ya but you're strange.”



“Oh, Jesus, what happened to him?”



Buffy could tell the story was still painful for Tara and Willow. She could tell that they really did love him. “Nobody could find him for a few days. We were terrified that he had done something to himself. I can’t even describe to you the way he sounded, the way he looked, it was terrible. We hated ourselves for it.”



“But Tara found him,” Willow interrupted, smiling wanly. “They had a place in the woods that they’d go to, this old abandoned chapel type thing. He was there for three days, just drinking and thinking I guess.”



“Will?”



She heard someone moving inside the chapel and when she looked over she saw him, dirty and in pain, but thankfully alive.



“Will, it’s me.”



“Tara?” He hugged himself closer and she could tell he’d been crying recently when he sniffled a bit. “Why did you do it, baby?”



“It’s hard, Will. Just really fucked up, really complicated.”



He shook his head, still not looking at her. “You love her.”



It wasn’t a question, but she answered anyway. “Yes, so much. I’m so sorry, Will.”



He looked up and Tara expected resentment, betrayal, hatred. Anything but what she got. He looked at her like she was the most beautiful thing he’d ever seen but he knew that he couldn’t touch her. It was acceptance and love, and she decided then that sometimes he had more love than Jesus to give.



“He came home, cleaned up, gave us his blessing and refused to hear any apologies. He was sad, I could tell, and I knew it was hard for him to see me happy, but he’s the best brother in the world, and he never held it against us. I don’t deserve him.”



Buffy was blown away by it all. This guy was unbelievable, but somehow, she had known from the moment she’d looked into his eyes that he was extraordinary, if a little sad.



“All this talk about perfect siblings, I’m gonna have to call my sister.” It was quiet for a moment, but then Buffy spoke up again. “Wait, that still doesn’t explain why he’s all black leather and sex though.”



“Yeah, so after this, William decided he needed a whole new life, he couldn’t really stand to see us together so he started to go out a lot. He hadn’t really had a lot of friends in high school, so he needed to find some people to hang out with now that Tara was gone. He met Dru in a poetry workshop and she decided he could use a makeover. Hence the new look.”



“She give him the attitude too?”



Tara and Willow exchanged a look and Buffy had a feeling she was going to get a seriously edited version of Spike’s next tragic love affair. “I suppose you could say Dru had a lot to do with it, but Spike was inside William all along. Just needed a catalyst.”



“Where’s the nickname from?”



“He started fighting a lot for Dru’s honor, I swear, she’d do things purposely just so she could get my brother to fight. He was pretty rough, I guess he threatened some guy with a railroad spike at some point, and Dru christened him thus.”



“Wow, what happened with her, or are they still an item?”



Willow shuddered almost imperceptibly but Tara’s instinctive hug confirmed Buffy’s suspicions. “She got him in a lot of trouble, but he realized it and got away. I don’t know where she is now.”



Buffy looked down and realized her ice cream was gone. “Well, you guys weren’t kidding about the long story. I should get to bed, and call Dawn. Thanks for the info, I’ll see you guys tomorrow.”



Willow and Tara said their goodbyes and Buffy made her way into her room.



***



Spike was bored. Also, he was horny as hell. He’d been so stressed about the house and the car that he hadn’t even attempted to find someone to pass the time with. The moment he saw Buffy his lack of a sex life came rushing to the foreground.



She was gorgeous, and there was something in her eyes that made him sit up at attention, every part of him in fact. Thoughts of the blonde beauty made his annoying but bearable half erect dick stand tall and weep. He had half a mind to proposition her but then he thought about her eyes again and decided that she wasn’t someone he could fuck a few times and forget about. He didn’t even have the luxury of a friends with benefits arrangement due to the fact that she wasn’t yet his friend.



He hoped to never change that fact. He didn’t want to be friends with her. He wanted to be her everything, he wanted her to crave him like he was craving her right now.



God, he was a pathetic sod. Already he was convinced he’d love her, he didn’t even know the chit, but one look in her eyes and he’d been hooked. He felt the electricity when they’d touched, hell, when they’d seen each other.



He groaned and turned onto his back, his hand wrapping around his aching cock and beginning to stroke. Not even a cold shower could erase Buffy’s effects tonight. It had been too long for him, and she was too intriguing to forget about. His fist sped up and his used the ample amount of precum seeping from his slit to lubricate himself. His other hand reached down to cup his balls and his pinky stretched out to play a bit with his ass.



His breathing was erratic now and his groans were getting harder to keep down. Oh, he wanted her, wanted to pound her into his mattress and make her scream his name.



“Oh fuck, Buffy, fuck, fuck-”



“That’s exactly what I was thinking.”



Spike stopped abruptly and tried to cover himself with the sheet. Then he looked up and sighed, scooting over to make room.



“Bloody hell, Anya, thought you were Buffy. Scared the buggering fuck out of me.” She just grinned and sidled up next to him, reaching out to grasp his now purple and angry looking cock. “And you stopped me just before I arrived, teasing minx.”



“Now, now, Spikey, you know you can’t cum until everyone gets here.”



He sighed and flopped back down on the bed, one hand stroking her hair while the other reached up to tug on one of his own nipples. “So you and Xand back on then, thought it was just gonna be me and you tonight, pet.”



“Well, we’re getting there, kind of had a make-up quickie in the laundry room today, thought I’d invite him. Only thing better than Xander is you and Xander.”



“Well, the more the merrier.” He sighed impatiently and looked down at her hand, slowly driving his poor cock insane. “Give us a kiss, pet, and then get me off, I’m ready to pop here.”



Anya leaned down and pressed her lips to Spike’s her tongue darting out to tease his lips. Her hand pumped faster and he moaned loudly into her mouth, his hips thrusting into her fist. “Oh fuck pet, lay down, let me cum on you, luv.”



Anya grinned and got underneath him as he began to stroke himself to completion above her. “Oh fuck, oh yes, touch yourself, pet, do it for me.”



“Yeah, babe, you know what he likes.”



Spike smiled when he heard Xander’s voice, only increasing his arousal, he was amazed he was able to hold on this long. The second he felt the other man’s presence behind him, he knew there was only one thing he wanted to make him spurt all over the beauty below him. “Do it, Xand.”



“Oh fuck, Will, you know what that does to me,” Xander exclaimed before pushing inside Spike hard. Spike’s cries of ecstasy set off Anya, then Xander and the three came to a most satisfying arrival.



“Xander?” Anya said a while later, sandwiched between her two favorite men.



“Yeah, baby?”



“Spike has a thing for someone.”



Spike snorted and pushed his fingers farther inside Anya, causing her to gasp. “I do have a thing, pet, mind taking care of it for me?” He asked, pushing himself up against her side.



Xander chuckled and reached over his girlfriend’s body to grasp Spike’s cock and began to stroke. “Don’t think that’s what she’s talking about, buddy.”



“No? Well, still feel free to continue, mate.”



“Sure thing.”



“What I’m saying is, you- ahh, yes, Spike, oh yes, just there, oh-”



“She’s saying you like somebody,” Xander chuckled, “like like someone.”



“Oh, and who’s that, pet?”



“The new girl, Buffy.”



“How d’you- oh Xand, oh mate don’t stop, so bloody close, unngh, ohhhh, oh yes.”



Spike panted and rested his head on Anya’s breast, his tongue darting out to leisurely lick her. He caught his breath and continued. “How d’you figure that?”



“You were bringing yourself off while moaning her name, I think that’s evidence enough, plus, you didn’t go out and try to get her into bed tonight, you must really like her.”



Spike was silent for a moment. He leaned over to kiss Xander tenderly. “I love you guys, you know that right?”



“Yeah, buddy, ‘course.”



“Yes, Spike, I know.”



Spike sighed and closed his eyes. “Yeah, I really like her, think I might love her if I get the chance.” Anya stroked his hair and when Spike opened his eyes again, Xander was looking at him with worry written all over his face. “Don’t worry, I won’t do anything stupid this time. You guys keep me grounded, you guys can help me keep my head. I don’t need a repeat of Dru.”



I’m more worried about a repeat of Tara, Anya and Xander thought, but they remained silent and settled in for sleep.



Spike was already gone, a certain blonde invading his dreams and making him wonder why in the hell the Gods picked him to be love’s most willing bitch.



“One more time at midnight, near the wall
Take off your heavy make-up and your shawl.
Won't you descend from the throne, from where you sit?
Let me feel your love one more time before I abandon it.”


Shelter From the Storm by lucky021

A/N: Lots of slash this chappy, Xander just got really horny on me. Next chapter should be out pretty soon, and that's when it turns more to the present, less flashback. Please review and let me know what you think. Thanks to everyone who's reviewed so far!



"Not a word was spoke between us, there was little risk involved
Everything up to that point had been left unresolved.
Try imagining a place where it's always safe and warm.
"Come in," she said,
"I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I was burned out from exhaustion, buried in the hail,
Poisoned in the bushes an' blown out on the trail,
Hunted like a crocodile, ravaged in the corn.
"Come in," she said,
"I'll give you shelter from the storm."


-Bob Dylan, Shelter From the Storm


Spike awoke first the next morning, his head pillowed on Xander's chest and Anya spooned up against his back. He didn't remember shifting to the middle of the threesome but he didn't mind. Ever since he had been asked to participate in these encounters with two of his best friends they'd treated him like he was just as important to them as they were to each other. He loved them for that, but he understood that it wasn't a permanent arrangement. One day they'd finally stop dodging real commitment and become exclusive, he had a feeling they were waiting for him to be paired off before they did so.



Spike had known Xander almost his whole life, they'd been best friends ever since they'd had to put aside a petty playground rivalry to fight off a bully that wanted to do them both in. They'd met Anya when they were freshmen in high school, and Xander had fallen hard. William hadn't been able to bring himself to even approach a girl since he'd been so brutally dismissed by his junior high crush Cecily.



"You're beneath me, William."



For a year, William was the third wheel, and though Xander and Anya made an effort to include him, William understood and respected the fact that they must have wanted to be alone together more often than not.



"No, no Xander, you and Anya can go to the movies alone. I'd just be in the way." William could tell Xander was trying to hide his excitement. "Got to wash my hair, mate, so get going." William grinned when his friend practically skipped away.



After a year and a half of bliss, Anya had to leave when her parents moved her to Colorado. Just before, Xander lost his virginity and William felt like he was even more of a loser. The couple stayed in touch but agreed to see other people, staying just friends. William scoffed at the idea, he knew neither Xander nor Anya were about to move on, and unless they altered themselves totally, they'd be pining for each other until they went crazy.



"You'll never be friends! You'll be in love till it kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other till it makes you quiver, but you'll never be friends. Love isn't brains, children, it's blood... blood screaming inside you to work its will."



They decided to speed up the process and drive each other crazy with jealousy. At every attempt, William was forced to keep his eye rolls hidden, they were pathetic. More often than not, Xander and William spent their weekends drinking away their loneliness.



"Fuck, Will, how can she do this to me?" Xander took another swig and grimaced, "again!"



William patted his friend's shoulder and took the bottle out of his hands, raising it to his own lips and taking a mighty gulp that had him seeing double. "I told you! Told bloody both of you! Never gonna be friends, I says, never gonna be anythin' but lovers and crazy people." He looked at Xander who was trying to contain his laughter. "Don't you bloody laugh at me, Harris!"



Xander tried, he really did, but drunk William was a sight to be seen. Ruffled hair, glasses askew, his tweed all rumpled and the poetry he would spout when he got in the right mood. All in all, it was priceless.



Xander fell back onto his bed and giggled uncontrollably. William growled (it only made Xander laugh harder) and pounced on his friend, ready to show him just how funny his fists could be, but right at that moment something passed between them. Xander stopped laughing and pulled himself up on his elbows, leaning his face towards William's.



The moment their lips touched William's cock sprang to attention and he allowed Xander to push their groins together. He groaned and the bottle slipped from his fingers and crashed to the floor. William sprang off of Xander as if he'd been burned and adjusted himself.



Guilt and shame began to wash through both of them, but William most of all. He'd never even touched a woman, but here he was rubbing his dick up against Xander, what was wrong with him?



William tried to say something but his throat was closed, he took one look in Xander's lust filled but confused eyes and ran.



William avoided Xander for a week. He was too confused and too disgusted with himself to face his friend. He tried to tell himself that he was just drunk, and he was a teenage boy, so almost always horny, but he knew that he'd thought of what it would be like to touch Xander and have his friend touch him before. Many a guilt drenched orgasm following that particular fantasy had told William that he wasn't one hundred percent for the ladies. He never really looked at other men that way though, just Xander, so maybe it was just a fluke. A drunken fluke that could never happen again.



"Will, I've been trying to talk to you for a week," Xander caught up to his friend finally at his house. "Listen, I'm sorry, man, we don't have to-"



"Xander," William cut him off, not wanted to hear his dismissal. "We were both drunk right? Doesn't mean anything, you love Anya, and I love women period, so we're ok. Let's just go play some pool at the Bronze, yeah?"



William was already walking toward the club when Xander began to follow, he pasted on a smile to mask his disappointment. "Yeah, man, sounds good."



Their relationship was awkward and they both felt like they were walking on eggshells around the other. Xander was hurt that William had dismissed everything so easily, and William was the most confused he'd ever been. He wanted Xander, sometimes so much that he considered throwing all discretion out with his propriety, but then he remembered that Xander hadn't seemed too keen to continue. He had been hoping that his friend would have refused to forget about it, but they hadn't mentioned it for a few months.



"Will, I have to tell you something." The two had been drinking a little bit, but neither was drunk. They both felt a little of the tension drain away with the alcohol, but William began to regain it when he heard Xander's tone.



"Yeah? Go ahead."



"I know we haven't really talked about it, but I need to get some things out there." Xander saw William tense up and he sighed sadly, he wanted his friend, and he cared about him, he wanted so badly for Will to feel the same way. "What happened, that night," William moved a hand to stop him, but he ignored it. "I don't regret it."



There was silence for a moment and Xander started to resign himself to the fact that he might not have his best friend or his girlfriend to rely on anymore. But then he felt William's lips on his.



He was hesitant, and when Xander didn't automatically respond he almost pulled away, but then the brunette grabbed the back of his neck and brought his tongue out to tease William's lips. They both groaned and took advantage of open mouths to thrust their tongues inside.



Xander moved his other hand to grasp William's upper arm and deepened the kiss even more making the blonde moan deep in his chest. Suddenly, William pulled back and ducked his head. Xander was confused, but William's hand began to lightly stroke his arms comfortingly and he realized that he wasn't going to pull away completely.



"Xand, I know... I mean, you've done... I mean, I know that... and I've never... I'm sorry, I-"



Xander cut him off with a soft kiss and brought William's chin up. "This is different, Will, we're both unsure and new at this. Anyone told me a year ago I'd be coming on to my best friend I'd have laughed in his face, but I want you. I didn't really get it before that night, but there's something about you, Will that gets to me. It's not like with Anya."



Will flinched at the name. Anya would always be number one for Xander, even if something developed between the friends. He couldn't compete with the love of his life.



Xander noticed William's reaction and was about to speak when he was cut off. "I know, Xander, I get that, you love her. We can want things, be attracted to each other, but it won't be like that. Won't be like we're boyfriends. I love you because you're my best friend, you excite me but we don't have to read too much into it, yeah?"



Xander was relieved that William wasn't going to ask him to choose. He cared for William, a lot, but Anya was who he knew he was going to end up with. He let out a sigh and kissed William again unaware of the disheartened expression on his friend's face. William had been hoping that Xander would deny it, even if it wasn't true, but if that's what he wanted, William would give it to him. He didn't want to rock the boat, he cared about Anya too, didn't want to lose either of them, and if they just wanted a spot of fun, he could do that.



While William steeled himself against the sting of rejection when Anya eventually returned to their lives, Xander's hand had found its way to the growing bulge in William's trousers. He squeezed and William both moaned and stiffened... everywhere.



He put a hand against Xander's chest and ducked his head again, trying to catch his breath. "I don't know what to do," he whispered.



"I bet you do." William looked up shocked at what he thought Xander was insinuating, but then his friend smiled and pushed back on William's shoulder. "Just lay back, Will. I'll show you, but you've done it to yourself, you'll know what to do to me."



William relaxed a little and watched as Xander came down next to him and reached for his hand. The brunette placed his friend's hand on his erection and then placed his own on William's. William's excitement grew exponentially at the feel of Xander's hard cock against his hand. He squeezed a bit and was rewarded by Xander's moan and a stroke to his own dick.



Xander knew that William had absolutely no experience pleasuring another person and knew he'd have to show him as they went along, but he figured Will would be a quick learner, and it excited him to no end that he got to be master in this situation.



He reached up and began to unbutton William's pants and he felt his friend freeze. "Sshh, it's ok, Will, we'll learn together, ok. Just do what I do. Touch me, Will, please, I need your hand on my cock."



Apparently, William didn't need much encouragement after he got past his first hurdle, he'd fantasized about it too many times. His hands reached inside and grasped Xander's cock at the some time his own was beginning to be stroked. "Oohh, Xander, I've wanted this for so long, your hands on my dick, do it harder."



Xander grinned and obeyed, he loved to hear William in the throes of passion, and hearing that he'd wanted it before tonight made him even harder. He leaned over and kissed William as his hand started to move faster. "Do you.. ohh... Do you want to suck me, Will?"



William groaned loud and deep and pushed Xander from his side onto his back and hovered over him, their hard cocks rubbing against each other. He looked into Xander's eyes and kissed him deeply. Xander could see the want and lust, but over that was the insecurity. "I'll tell you what to do, Will, just please put it in your mouth, please."



William was nervous, but the thought of Xander shooting down his throat made him almost come then and there. He ran his hands under Xander's shirt and tweaked his nipples before moving his body down so that he was lying between Xander's thighs. "I don't know... I mean, I've never had it so," he looked up shyly, "I don't want to hurt you."



Xander ran his hands through Will's hair and smiled. "You won't, just mind your teeth. Don't hurt yourself, don't put it in too far."



William took a deep breath and licked his lips. Xander groaned at the sight and precum dripped down the sides of his cock. William began to lick it up slowly, loving the way Xander's breath caught in his throat. Finally he put his mouth over the head and sucked. "Ohhh, oh Will, fuck yes, more, suck me, you're so good, Will, God your mouth is so hot."



William reached down to stroke his own cock while he sucked more and more of Xander in. Soon he felt his friend's balls tighten and he wrapped his lips around the head wanting to taste the brunette's cum. Xander cried out and began to spurt while William swallowed, his own cock shooting off at the sound and taste of Xander.



He crawled up and kissed his friend, wrapping his arms around him. "You were wonderful, Will, so beautiful."



Spike realized that he had grown pretty hard at the remembrance of his first sexual encounter. He reached down and gave his cock a loving stroke. Underneath him, Xander's breathing started to speed up and he realized that his friend was awake and watching. He licked a ring around Xander's nipple then bit down and grinned when he heard a soft moan above him. Spike moved to kiss him, but Xander surprised him by turning over and handing him the oil he kept in his bedside table.



"Xand?"



"Do it, Will, I want you."



Spike, never one to look a gift horse in the mouth was still a little confused. Xander didn't usually like to be bottom as his times with Anya were usually spent in submission. When they were together, Spike was just poor, shy, virginal, William and Xander was the experienced one, even though by now Spike had done more things with more people than Xander had ever considered.



Spike lubed up his cock and then Xander's ass and positioned himself. He paused and Xander looked back at him. "Turn over, mate, I want to see you."



As rare as these occasions were, Spike wanted to see the pleasure written on Xander's face when he gave him the pounding that would make it difficult to walk. Before Xander got fully comfortable, Spike pushed inside and waited for Xander to get used to him.



"Oh, God, Will, fuck!"



"Jesus, you're tight, Xand." He bent down and kissed him, then grabbed his cock and began to stroke. "I'm gonna make you scream, mate, gonna make it so good for you."



Xander didn't doubt it, just put his head back and moaned. Spike loved hearing Xander moan for him, loved to hear the power they had over each other. He began to pump and stroke faster, and he realized that this wasn't going to last as long as he had hoped. The tightness of Xander was seeing to that.



"Oh, not gonna last much longer, baby, you're just too damn tight."



"Fuck, Will, I love it when you fuck me, harder, just a few more times... ahhh!"



Xander shot his load all over his chest and stomach, the orgasm catching them both by surprise and Spike followed almost immediately after. He pulled out gently and resumed his position with his head on Xander's chest. He looked over and saw Anya still asleep, she murmured and curled up behind him again.



"How in the bloody hell did she sleep through that?"



***



"Will?" Xander asked. They had fallen back to sleep for about an hour, but had woken up again to the sound of Spike's alarm. Anya, again slept through quite a bit of noise. Now they were laying together trying to find the will to get out of bed.



"Yeah, Xand?"



"I want you to be careful, I don't want to see you hurt again, man."



Spike looked up at Xander and brushed some hair out of his eyes. "Got you and Anya to look after me, not to mention my girls in the other room. Buffy doesn't seem the type to tempt me back into that stuff, 'sides, probably just a fluke, thought I saw somethin' in her eyes, but it coulda been the sun, so let's just leave it alone until there's actually something to worry 'bout."



"I'm not worried about that, I'm worried about your heart, Will. You give too much to people who don't deserve it. I like Buffy, she seems nice, but Tara was nice, and look what happened there."



Spike sat up and pulled himself away. "I see that bloody mistake every day of my life, don't need a reminder."



"You didn't make a mistake, Tara-"



"Just leave it," Spike said angrily, cutting him off. "You always have to bring her up when I see someone I may want to get to know. You're jumping the gun, Xander. I don't need you to treat me like I can't date someone without guarding my heart a bit. I learned my sodding lesson. Twice."



Xander tried to pull him back into bed but Spike stood up and pulled on his pants. "'M takin' a shower. Got things to do today."



After he left Xander sighed.



"You were right. He's going to get hurt if you don't warn him, at least now he'll think about it."



"I think you're right, Ahn." He turned and fell into her arms. "But I hope we're both wrong."



***



Spike walked into the kitchen after his shower and found Buffy sitting at the counter with a bowl of cereal. "Mornin' pet, sleep well?"



Buffy looked up and smiled broadly. "Yeah, I did actually. Thought I might be nervous in a new place, but I was very comfortable."



Spike smiled and sat next to her with a banana. "What are you up to today?"



"Thought I'd get myself acquainted with the area and campus."



"So, have you been going to Sunnydale all along, or did you transfer?"



Buffy paused for a moment and tried not to think about her mother. "Umm, no. I was in Seattle before, UW. I had to get away from some stuff, California seemed like a nice change."



Spike saw the hesitation and the look of pain that crossed her face but said nothing. "Well, love, California is a nice place, and Sunnydale's just small enough not to be overwhelming, and just big enough not to get boring. Though with yours truly around, boredom should be the last thing on your mind."



Buffy grinned and looked down, hoping he hadn't noticed the flush in her cheeks caused by his nearness. "Well, I've got to be going, long day ahead."



Spike wasn't ready for her to leave yet, he was trying to work up the nerve to ask her out but he barely knew anything about her and didn't know what exact approach to use. "I'd offer to show you the town myself, but, I've got to meet with my professor before classes start. Maybe, if you'd like it... Maybe some other time, I could, um-"



Buffy smiled at his sudden shyness, remembering the way Tara had described William. "You could show me some things only the locals know about?"



Spike looked up from the floor and smiled, he looked relieved and not at all the comfortable and confident man she'd first met. "Yeah. That. Some time." He felt like such a wanker, he'd left William behind long ago, but some people brought him out at the worst possible moments. Tara was the only one who could still do it, and sometimes Xander in the bedroom, but even they could only do it if they tried. Why did Buffy have it with no apparent effort?



"That sounds great, Spike," she said softly, breaking through his thoughts. "I'll see you tonight?"



"Yeah, I'll be around," he said smiling shyly, she smiled back and he felt his heart clench a bit. Did she know what she was doing to him?



Buffy walked down the hall to the door and Spike sat down and sighed. Who was he kidding? If William was infatuated with Ms. Summers, Spike had no choice but to follow along.



***



Buffy grabbed her coat off the rack and was about to open the front door when she heard Spike's door open. She looked back and wished she hadn't. A disheveled and obviously very satisfied Anya ,carrying her clothes and wearing a man's robe, crossed the hall into the bathroom.



Buffy tried not to be hurt, or angry, or even surprised. Tara and Willow had told her early on that Spike and Anya had their occasional romps, but after what she walked in on in the laundry room the day before, she figured they weren't on at this point. Apparently she was wrong, and Spike wasn't so close to William after all.



She stepped out of the front door and made her way to her car. Why should she even care who he fucks, it's not like they had any kind of relationship? She barely even knew the guy. Then why are you freaking out internally, who cares if you barely know him. You want him, more than you've wanted someone in a long time.



"Shut-up brain," she hissed to herself. Realizing she was talking to herself, she tried to calm down. She wondered if he had any idea what he was doing to her.



***



It was late in the afternoon and Buffy had found everything she had wanted to on campus and off except for the psychology building. She'd been walking around for almost half an hour at this point, trying not to look like a complete loser, holding her map and talking to herself.



She was failing on that front.



"Need some help?"



Buffy turned around and stared straight into the chest of someone very tall. Actually, he may not have been, anyone compared to her was tall. She looked up into the smiling face of a brown haired, kind eyed man about her age.



"Umm, sure, I'm looking for the psychology building."



"Well, hey, you're in luck, that's just where I'm headed." He smiled wider and stuck out his hand. "Riley Finn."



Buffy smiled back warily, he seemed really nice, but so did Spike, and lots of guys with worse transgressions than him. "I'm Buffy Summers."



"Nice to meet you, Buffy. So are you a freshmen or just new?'



"I'm a sophomore, I transferred here this year from Seattle."



They exchanged simply small talk on the way explaining where they were from, what year they were in, and that they were both psychology majors. Finally, they found the building and Buffy raged internally when she realized she had walked by it at least five times before.



Riley looked a little uncertain and she knew he was going to ask her out before he did so.



"So, um, Buffy, maybe I could take you out some time. There's a club here, the Bronze, it's pretty cool."



She was hesitant at first, in a way Spike had asked her the same thing, but then she remembered Anya. "Sure, let me give you my number."



Spike wasn't exclusive, no need for her to be.



***



The Bronze was pretty crowded for a Tuesday night. Xander and Anya sat together at a table with Willow and Tara. Oz, Willow's ex, and his band were playing. He'd been remarkably cool about things when Willow had broken them off. He cared about her, but he wasn't about to mess with trying to turn a lesbian. They'd remained friends and the whole gang still came to watch him play when he was in town.



Spike had been gone the whole day working on some projects that he'd been doing over the summer with one of his professors but he had promised to meet them all there. Willow had left a note for Buffy at the house and she hoped that she got it.



"So you guys are back on I guess?" Willow asked Anya.



When she nodded Tara smirked. "But you kept your date with Spike, I saw you coming out of his room this morning."



Anya just smiled contentedly. "Well, why should I settle for just one when both my boys like to play together with me?" Willow shook her head and Tara grinned at Xander's uncomfortable shifting. "Although, I think Spike was giving Xander quite a pounding this morning, and they didn't even wake me up. Many an orgasm I've had just-"



"Ahn, honey, I think they get it, and I don't think Willow wants to hear Spike and pounding in the same sentence ever again.



Anya just shook her head then waved frantically. They all looked over to see Spike walking toward them with a satisfied smirk on his face.



"Speak of the devil," Willow muttered to Tara.



"Hey all. Hope you had a lovely day, but if you didn't, I'm about to help. Drinks on me!"



Xander made room for his friend and they all gave their orders to the waitress. "What are you so happy about, bleach boy?"



"I, my friend, have just been chosen as TA for Professor Wyndam-Price and the publishing company got back to us, they're going to publish some of my work, and most importantly of all, I asked Buffy out."



"That's great, Will, you've worked so hard." Spike smiled and leaned over to kiss Tara on the cheek.



"Thanks pet, couldn't have done it without you." He cleared his throat and looked up. "All of you guys, putting up with everything, taking on the housework I didn't do, and relieving the tension," he said in a lower tone, squeezing the legs of Anya and Xander.



"I do what I can," Anya said seriously before grabbing her drink from the waitress.



"So where is she?" Spike asked anxiously.



"Who?"



"Buffy, you lout, the girl I've been talking about all bloody day. The one you warned me off this morning."



Xander looked sheepish when Willow and Tara fixed their gazes on him. "Hey, I was just trying to urge him to use caution, you know how he jumps in full body and gets the full body cast to go with it after his heart's ripped out."



"Xander, you're always-"



"Xander's right, he's just-"



"Not you too, Anya!"



Tara pulled Spike back a bit and whispered in his ear, "you'll be fine, Will. This is just what you need. Everything's coming together, don't let Xander and Anya scare you away."



Spike smiled and placed a kiss on her temple. "I won't pet, thanks for having faith. I'm gonna go look for Buffy at the house, you tell everyone bye for me," he said, nodding his head toward the three still arguing over his love life.



"Yeah, see ya."



Spike turned and made his way out of the club. He was almost out of the alley by the door when Xander caught up to him. "Will, wait!"



Spike turned and smiled at his friend's red face. "What is it, whelp?"



"Listen, I'm sorry man, I'm not trying to scare you away from anything. Just saying use caution."



Spike smiled and backed Xander up against the wall of the alley. "I know, Xand, just hit a sore spot this morning. Thinking about the past, just gets to me sometimes."



"You were thinking about-" Xander paled for a minute. "Oh, and that's what got you? Oh."



Spike was confused. "What's wrong with that, I mean, shouldn't it be a compliment?"



"That I can still get you off when you're thinking about someone else? Don't think so, captain peroxide."



Xander moved to walk away but Spike shook his head and tried not to laugh while he pinned Xander to the wall with his legs, his hands on either side of his face. "I was thinkin' about us, you ponce, about virginal little William's first go with his friend." Xander relaxed and allowed Spike to kiss him deeply, rubbing their groins together in a motion that was more about comfort and security than sex. "I'd never do that to you, never wish you were someone else."



Xander shook his head at his own stupidity and kissed Spike again, softly. "Ok, sorry about that, just a little weird, with Anya and I back again and you liking this Buffy girl." Spike smiled at her name and Xander rolled his eyes. "You are so whipped, man! You haven't even known her for a week, haven't even taken her out and you're making googly eyes."



Spike growled and nibbled on Xander's ear. "Oh, Xand, you know I only make googly eyes for you," he said pressing his growing hardness against Xander's.



"Shut-up, go find Buffy and have her take care of that for you. Anya's waiting inside for me, she'll know, and she doesn't like it if she's not included."



Spike kissed him again and backed off, walking down the alley he yelled back, "I'm whipped?! Look who's talking."



Xander laughed and turned to go back inside when he was pushed back against the wall by someone much bigger than him. He looked up, make that someones.



"So what've we got boys? Another stupid faggot?"



Xander swallowed hard.



***



Spike made his way home and found Buffy just walking up the drive when he was.



"Hey, love, have a good day?"



Buffy looked startled for a moment then smiled warily at him. "Uh, yeah, pretty good. Got everything done, met somebody on campus." She felt a little bad for dropping that information, but a part of her wanted to see what he'd do.



"Oh." He was silent for a minute, trying to decide what that meant. "Uh, well, the gang's down at the Bronze, wanted you to come. I thought I'd come back and see if you wanted to go with me?"



Buffy could hear the uncertainty in his voice and wondered what kind of game he was playing. He was sleeping with Anya, and asking her out, and she wasn't quite sure what the deal with Xander was. If they were such good friends, why did he sleep with the girl Xander was in love with. She was confused, and now a little pissed off.



"Actually, I'd rather just stay home, I had a long day. I should call Riley back, too."



"Riley?" What the fuck? Didn't he just ask her out this morning and she'd already made plans with someone else. Maybe Xander was right.



"Yeah, the guy I met today, he wants me to go with him somewhere tomorrow."



"I see."



They had reached the door and Buffy went to unlock it, but Spike stayed her hand. "But... I mean, I thought... Look, were you serious this morning, and if you were, why are you doing this?"



She could see he was hurt, his eyes spoke volumes. She was surprised that he hadn't learned to build a hefty wall around himself after all he'd been through. "I don't think I'm the one who's being all mixed signally."



"What? What the bloody hell are you talking about?"



Now she really was mad, he was going to deny it, deny sleeping with someone and then asking her out, and then probably sleeping with Anya again before the actual date. "You tell me, I see Anya skipping out of your room half-dressed this morning just after you go all nice and shy on me. What am I supposed to think?"



Spike didn't know what to say. His relationships were complicated, she wouldn't understand any of the arrangements he had with the people he lived with, she just didn't know them all well enough.



His silence was pissing her off even more. "If you get to sleep with other people, I think I should get to at least go on dates."



"Look, pet, it's not what you-" he was cut off by his cell phone. "Hold on a minute, I'll explain." He turned his back on her, "what?!"



Buffy tapped her foot and watched him answer his phone. She noticed him tense.



"He what?" he asked, softer, obviously nervous. "Just, just slow down, pet, what happened?" Buffy was concerned now, his voice was shaking, and whoever was on the phone sounded really upset. "Yeah, 'course, I'll be right there, just stay calm, luv."



He turned around and she could see tears forming in his eyes. "Can you... I need a ride to the hospital, Buffy."



She grabbed her keys and pulled a shocked Spike toward her car. "What's wrong?"



He was shaking when he sat down. "Xander."

Temporary Like Achilles by lucky021

A/N: Let the spuffiness begin.



"Kneeling 'neath your ceiling,
Yes, I guess I'll be here for a while.
I'm tryin' to read your portrait, but,
I'm helpless, like a rich man's child.
How come you send someone out to have me barred?
You know I want your lovin',
Honey, why are you so hard?"


-Bob Dylan, Temporary Like Achilles



The drive to the hospital was mostly silent. Buffy didn't really understand what had happened, she just knew it was bad and Xander was involved. If she had doubted the loyalty that Spike had for his friend before, none of that was left now.



Spike's shaking hands dug out his pack of cigarettes and his lighter. He moved to light it then looked over at Buffy. "Mind, pet?"



She did actually, but by the look of him, she figured he needed it more than she needed her car's interior's current vanilla scent intact. "No, go ahead."



He rolled down the window and exhaled a shaky but large cloud of smoke. Every few seconds he would run his hand through his hair in a gesture Buffy would have found adorable if the situation wasn't so dire. "Do you know what happened?"



Spike shook his head and tossed the butt of his smoke out the window before rolling it back up. Buffy didn't ask any more questions.



***



"Spike, oh God, I'm glad you're here." Willow flung herself into her brother's arms as soon as he stepped inside the waiting room.



"Shh, shh, pet, I've got you, shh." Buffy watched as Spike soothed his sister, rubbing her back and cooing meaningless but powerful endearments in her ear. Tara stood awkwardly by until Spike looked up and opened his other arm to welcome her into his embrace. Both women were crying into his chest and Buffy wasn't surprised to see tears of his own forming.



She suddenly felt very much like she was intruding. The love these people had for each other went beyond familial bonds or mere friendship, they were connected at a raw primal level that obviously felt the loss of the missing two.



They seemed to calm a bit at Spike's words and when he kissed both their heads and pulled back slightly they were able to form coherent sentences again. "What happened, luv? I didn't get anythin' from Anya other than the fact it was bad. How is he?"



Tara pulled them both into chairs and took a deep breath to steady herself. "I don't know what happened exactly, he went out to talk to you and the next thing we know Cordelia's hysterical telling us that Xander's outside beaten to a bloody pulp."



Spike's jaw clenched. "They see who did it?"



Tara ran a soothing hand down his back. "Calm down, the cops arrested some people, but I think you can guess who they are."



Spike stood abruptly at this and Willow got up behind him, she motioned for Tara to stay and followed her brother outside. "Spike... William, wait."



Spike turned back to Willow and she could see the fresh tears in his eyes. "They fucking saw us, then?"



Willow swallowed then nodded slowly. "Must have, I thought they'd left, Spike. Anya said you took care of them."



"Fuck!" he raged, kicking an unsuspecting garbage can down the alley outside the hospital. "I bloody well thought I had. I try to get away from all this shit and I keep getting sucked back in." He paced a bit, his leather duster flapping behind him. "I made a lot of mistakes, a fucking lot of them, but I don't understand why it always affects someone else."



"Jenny wasn't-"



"Yes she bloody well was!" his voice broke and he looked his sister directly in the eyes. "She was, and so were you. I made this happen, I fucked up and now Xander's paying for something that's always been my fault."



"That's shit, Will, and you know it."



Spike laughed bitterly and slid down the wall to sit on the ground. "I love you, but you don't know the fucking half of it."



Willow was heartened by his softer tone, his temper was unpredictable at times, but once he'd raged for a bit he'd soften and anger rarely returned quickly. She moved to sit next to him and pulled his head to rest on her shoulder. "Tell me then."



Spike shuddered and grasped at Willow's hand. "You know there was a time when nobody bothered us, nobody knew. Xander and I could fuck Anya in the janitor's closet together at school or in Xander's basement and no one would be the wiser."



Willow desperately hoped this had a point and Spike wasn't just going to mope about sex and Xander, 'cause hey, not one for thinking of her brother or her brother in all but blood and sex in a janitor's closet on a whim.



"After Tara, after everything, when Xander and Anya welcomed me back, I didn't think I could feel worse than I already did. Thought being with them would make everything easy again, just had to keep it secret, make sure no one found out. We weren't just poofs, Anya was in the mix as well, we didn't fit in with anyone." Willow remembered when Spike had confided his secret relationship with their friends to her. She hadn't been very surprised about Xander and William, but the whole threesome thing threw her. She didn't understand how three people could love each other equally, but she knew it was possible. Even if Tara wouldn't admit it, Willow knew she was still in love with William. She had to content herself with the fact that she'd been the one to be chosen, even if that didn't mean she'd gained all of Tara's heart.



"Remember when they found out? Remember what they did to him?"



Willow ran the wet washcloth over Xander's face trying not to irritate the cuts and bruises that adorned him. "Come on, Xander, you can come home with me and Will. Dad will take care of you."



"So sure about that, Willow? You'd be surprised what parents do when they find out they've raised a fag."



"Will, that wasn't your fault."



"Yes it was. He said we should wait, go somewhere else. His fucking shitfaced parents were home, just up the bloody stairs, and I said



"Come on, Xand, I need you." William nibbled the underside of Xander's ear. "Feel what you bloody do to me?"



"And when they found us... Downstairs on that ratty old couch of his. He grabbed me and threw me outside, half bloody naked." Spike shuddered and Willow held him tighter. "I could hear them, they locked the goddamn door and I could hear them, what they were doing to him..." Spike's sobbing halted his narrative. "I couldn't get inside, Willow, I couldn't do a damn thing to help him."



Willow wrapped her arms around him and held him while he cried out his confession. Xander hadn't told her that Spike had been there with him, she never knew how they had found out, just took it all for granted, but now it made much more sense. Spike had come home frantic saying that something had happened to Xander but he refused to go to the house. Things were so hectic that she'd never thought much about it.



Spike calmed a little while later. "It's happening again, except this time I'm both the reason the wrong people know and the reason they care in the first place."



He stood up and pulled Willow with him. "I've got to clean some things up about this, but I can't do anything until I know Xander's ok." Willow nodded and moved to go back inside while Spike lit up another cigarette. "I swear to you, I'm really gonna do it this time, no loose ends, I promise."



Willow stopped, but didn't turn around. "I know."



"Red?"



"Yeah?"



"Please... Please don't tell Tara. She already sees what a fuck-up I've become, she doesn't need-"



"Spike she wouldn't-"



"Just don't," he said, and when Willow turned she could see him wiping furiously at the tears on his face. "Just don't, for me."



She sighed softly and nodded. "Yeah, of course I won't."



Spike nodded and took a long drag as Willow walked back inside to check on things.



***


Buffy had been sitting awkwardly with Tara for about twenty minutes before she finally got the courage to ask her one of the billions of questions on her mind.



"I hope you don't mind me asking," Tara looked up at her expectantly, "but what the hell is going on?"



Tara laughed a little, though her smile didn't reach her eyes and the sound was a little brittle. "Well, I'm not exactly certain, but even if I was, I think Spike would have to tell you."



"Oh." Buffy sat for a few minutes longer. "Do you think he would? Tell me, I mean." Tara looked over at her and Buffy felt like an ass. "I mean... Sorry, it's really none of my business, I guess."



Tara shook her head and put a hand over Buffy's. "It's fine, I'd be wondering too. We've all just met, but you are living with us, and you've already heard the sad tale of Tara and the Giles siblings..." Tara tried to gather her thoughts. "I- I just think that Spike wouldn't want you to hear it from anyone but him."



Buffy was about to ask about Anya's relationship to Spike and Xander but Willow walked in and sat between them.



"Where's Spike?"



"He's smoking, probably will be needing a few packs tonight. He's taking this really hard. Have you heard anything new?"



Tara shook her head and Willow looked at Buffy. "I think maybe he'd like to see you." Buffy looked uncomfortable for a moment and Willow put a hand on her arm. "I'm not saying you should jump my brother now or even talk to him, but when things happen like this, he likes to have people around."



"Don't you think he'd rather see you two, I mean, I barely know the guy."



"Yeah, but, he likes you, a lot. We've had enough time together tonight, and we've had some pretty heavy conversation, he needs a calming presence, and I've already got dibs on Tara."



Buffy smiled a little at that and stood up. "Ok, but I'm not good for much more than sitting by and saying nothing, especially nothing helpful, I mean Buffy and comfort: non-mixy things."



Willow and Tara both smiled tiredly. "Well that's perfect then, because Spike and comfort words: not of the even remotely good."



Buffy took a deep breath and walked outside.



***



She found him with a bloody fist and a face covered in tears.



"What did you do to yourself?" She whispered as she took his hand in hers and tried to pick out the larger chunks of concrete.



He pulled his fist away gently and turned away from her. "I'm sorry 'bout all this. Our problems shouldn't have to inconvenience you."



Buffy put a hand on his back and felt him stiffen then relax. "I don't mind being inconvenienced when you're involved."



Spike turned to look at her and the sheer vulnerability in his eyes at that moment took her breath away. She couldn't help but take him in her arms and stroke his back. "Shhh, it's ok, tell me what's going on."



She tugged him toward a crate near the door and sat him down next to her, never removing her arms from him. "I can't, it's too bloody much."



Buffy stroked the hair on the back of his neck and was startled for a moment at the thought that the idea of comforting him didn't bother her near as much as it did when she considered any other single person in his place. "Ok, why don't you just explain you and Xander."



Spike sighed and clutched her tighter to him. "Got an open mind, pet?"



"Any opener and my brains would be spilling out."



He nodded. "Things're complicated, I know I've said it before, but they really are." He took a deep breath and continued. "Xander and I, well he's my best friend, been there for sodding ever, there for Red too. I'd say I loved him like a brother but it's more than that."



Buffy had a feeling she knew where he was headed. A few looks and touches she'd observed started to click into place. "You're lovers." Spike looked up into her eyes to gauge her reaction when he nodded. She smiled reassuringly at him. "Did you think I was going to freak out?" Off of his sheepish look she giggled a bit. "I live across the hall from lesbians, I spent half of last night in their room with them, I think I can deal with some more gay lovin' going on downstairs."



"It's not just that, luv, I did ask you out this morning."



"So does this mean you were just looking for a beard?" Now that would be a little problematic, she thought he was genuinely interested. And, again, what the fuck was the deal with Anya?



"No, oh God no, pet, 'course not." He brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes and touched his forehead to hers. "Think you're bloody amazing, luv, and this thing with Xander, it's not very conventional."



He pulled back and she caught her breath, she was a little shaken by the intimate gesture. "So, um, how does Anya-" she stopped. "Oh."



"Yeah," he said, grinning a little bit too wide for her tastes. "Her too. I think you must have looked away too quick to see his sad, shaggy head peek out."



"Why don't you explain this 'not very conventional' thing you have with them to me."



Spike shifted so that she was positioned with her legs over his lap and their arms still around each other. "Xander and I had a bit of a thing while Anya was gone, then after Tara and I ended things, they both asked if I'd like to join them. Bit of comfort, more about friendship than romance."



"I don't usually sleep with my friends and their boyfriends though."



"Well, I told you, not very conventional." They both smiled at that and Spike leaned his head in closer. "I don't wanna be your friend, Buffy."



She considered playing dumb and making him spell things out, but his nearness was doing things to her that she'd forgotten happened. "What about your comfort buddies."



Spike snorted and leaned in even closer. "They're just waiting for me to find somebody so they can comfort each other monogamously for many years to come."



Buffy was trying to think of something clever to say but all that came out was, "oh." Then Spike's lips were on hers in the softest kiss she could remember.



They were hesitant and gentle, content to just explore with lips and the barest hint of tongue. Spike's hand slid slowly up her thigh and she let out a soft moan. He opened his mouth a bit wider and-



"Spike, it's Xander, he's awake!"



Mixed Up Confusion by lucky021

A/N: Thanks for all the reviews so far, I'm glad people aren't too put off by the strange pairings and circumstances. I know it's all mysterious now, but all will be explained in due time. Hopefully it's suspenseful and not just annoying. Let me know what you think.



"I got mixed up confusion
Man, it's a-killin' me

Well, there's too many people
And they're all too hard to please

Well, my hat's in my hand
Babe, I'm walkin' down the line

An' I'm lookin' for a woman
Whose head's mixed up like mine

Well, my head's full of questions
My temp'rature's risin' fast

Well, I'm lookin' for some answers
But I don't know who to ask

But I'm walkin' and wonderin'
And my poor feet don't ever stop

Seein' my reflection
I'm hung over, hung down, hung up!"

-Bob Dylan, "Mixed Up Confusion"



 


Most of what happened after Willow's announcement was a blur to Buffy. Spike had immediately moved to stand, but their position made it impossible for him to do so without dumping her onto the street. He looked apologetic and helped her to stand along with him and gripped her hand tightly as he ran into the hospital behind his sister. They arrived at Xander's room and Buffy squeezed Spike's hand then let him go, giving him a reassuring smile. He looked grateful and then he was at his friend's side.



Anya, Spike and Xander came together kissing, hugging, and crying. Tara and Willow allowed them a few moments alone before they joined in, this time with a comparatively conspicuous lack of tongue. Buffy wasn't sure she should be in the room with them, let alone join in, so she backed out a bit and stood near the door but outside unless anyone needed anything.



She could hear Spike inside, his broken voice crying out endearments that simultaneously made her blush and her heart ache for them.



"My bloody, beautiful, boy... Oh, mate, thought I'd lost you. I'm so fucking sorry, Xand, so sorry, I love you mate, didn't mean for it to happen."



Xander's assurances that it wasn't Spike's fault didn't lead Buffy to believe that all of his apologies were stemming from an irrational but common guilt people felt when their loved ones were injured while they were separated. She didn't understand why Spike was so upset, or even what exactly had happened. Xander was beat up, apparently by someone who had done it before, or someone who the whole group, or maybe just Spike, judging by his reaction, knew.



This was all too confusing and mysterious, and by the way they were all carrying on and not laying blame, she probably wouldn't find out unless she flat out asked one of them. Though she was getting more curious by the second, she wasn't about to do that. This whole situation was making it more and more clear that she wasn't even close to the level of frienship and intimacy these people shared, she couldn't remember a single relationship in her past that came anywhere close to what these five had.



She watched as Tara and Willow finished up assuring themselves of Xander's well-being. They came out of his room with tearful but hope filled faces.



"So, everything's alright then?" Buffy asked softly.



"Well, he's got some broken ribs, a dislocated shoulder, quite a few cuts and scrapes and a concussion, but he should be fine soon, no permanent damage."



"That's a relief."



The couple let out a large sigh and nodded. "Yeah, I don't know what we would have done if it was anything worse. I've never seen Anya like that."



"You mean quiet and reflective?" Tara said softly with a hint of amusement dancing in her eyes.



Both Buffy and Willow smiled at that. "Well, she's back to normal now. She's already made a list of questions for the doctor, number one being when can Xander resume giving her mind-blowing orgasms."



There was a comfortable silence for a minute and Buffy knew she had found good friends in these two even if they came with a lot of baggage.



"We're going to head back to the house, do you want to come with us, or... Well I guess you brought your car, so..."



Buffy could tell Willow was extra curious about what she had interrupted outside, but apparently she was as reticent as Buffy about being straightforward.



"I guess I should wait for Spike, I mean, I brought him here." She looked back into the room and caught the object of discussion in a heated embrace with his unconventional friends. "Or maybe he's already got other plans."



The sad tone wasn't missed by the other two. Tara put a hand on Buffy's arm and smiled warmly at her when she looked up. "It's not so simple as that."



Buffy looked down uncomfortably. "He's told me as much. Even so," she paused and looked Tara in the eye pointedly, "I can't compete with his past. He's got a lot of it that he hasn't let go."



Tara looked guilty only for a second. "That's because he's never had a reason to. He's been jerked around from girl to girl, and none of them have ever given him what he deserved."



Willow placed her hand on top of Tara's over Buffy's arm. "We haven't known you for that long, Buffy, but sometimes you can just tell about somebody. Tara and I both feel it. There's something about you, and about Will when he's with you."



"You could break him right now if you wanted to, he's given you that much already, but I don't think you will. It's an aura thing, you've got a good one, constantly changing as it is, I always see something good when he's concerned."



Buffy was floored by their confidence in her, and a little weirded out. How could they possibly see those things in her when she lost herself when she was around him. The attraction to Spike was immediate and electric, they had both felt it, but that could easily be owed to lust. He was sex on legs, and she could tell he was thinking something similar about her, but did it mean anything more than that?



Tara must have sensed her confusion because she was quick to place a soothing hand on her cheek. "We're not asking you to marry him, or even date him if you don't want to, but he's not very hard to figure out when he starts to like someone, really truly like them, mostly because he doesn't do it very often, and I know that he feels a lot for you. It's fast, but I knew the second I saw Willow, and look how that turned out."



Buffy remained a little overwhelmed but she was calmer now, the trust Tara and Willow were placing in her was big, important, and a little scary, but she never backed down from a challenge. She'd been wary of love, being hurt only once before, though it was severe, but if Spike could take all the abuse she'd heard about, let alone whatever he went through with Dru, and still throw himself out there, she could too.



"Yeah, ok. I can give it a go." She looked at Willow, "he said he didn't want to be friends."



"Oh, shit," she said, giggling and pulling Tara closer. "Little William's got it bad."



***



By the time Willow and Tara finally left, after giving Buffy a few tips and tricks for when dealing with Spike and continually giggling about Spike's wish to never pursue a platonic relationship, Buffy was tired and achy from a long day. She looked into Xander's room and saw all three together on the bed (now that had to be against hospital policy) gently touching each other in a way that seemed to Buffy to be about reassurance that they were all still there.



She decided to get some coffee and give Spike a little bit longer with them before she asked if he wanted a ride. Twenty minutes later they hadn't moved, except now Spike was the only one still awake. He watched over his lovers with such a look of devotion that Buffy began to seriously doubt that Spike needed her at all. The more she considered it, and the more she watched Spike's gentle caresses and loyal, protective gaze, the more Buffy was moved to suggest friendship.



She watched him silently for thirty whole minutes before she made a decision. There wasn't a final gesture on his part that drove the point home, but she couldn't bear the thought of breaking up the threesome. Spike had said that they wanted him to move on, but after Xander's accident, she didn't think they needed him doing that just yet.



She could be his friend, he'd accept that, even if he didn't want to. She didn't want to hurt him, but being there for him as a girlfriend, or anything more than a simple friend wasn't possible for her, he was needed and loved too much to be taken away. And there was no way she could give him the affection, attention, and care that Xander and Anya could.



It was settled. Frienship, that's all, no matter how much she wanted Spike, she wasn't about to let a sexual attraction fuck up a good relationship before it got off the ground, again.



***



"Spike," Buffy whispered softly, mindful of the two sleeping next to him.



He looked over and smiled a wide but sleepy smile when his eyes met hers. "Hey, luv. Tara and Red leave then?"



She nodded and he turned back to the two on the bed, kissed them both softly on the brow, even more so where Xander was concerned and stood up to lead her outside. "Sorry I was in there for so long. Just got kinda caught up talking about things."



Once they were outside the room and the door was shut softly, Spike pulled Buffy to him and buried his face in her hair. "God, pet, been such a long night." His hands stroked her back softly and he nuzzled the hair away from her neck to place soft kisses there. "Missed you in there, luv, Xander was wonderin' where you'd run off to."



Whatever spell he'd had her under with his soft touch and softer kisses was washed away with a bucket of ice water upon the mention of Xander. She pushed him back gently and he looked confused though content for the moment to hold her at arms length.



"Spike, we have to-"



He pulled her back to his chest and shook his head. "Shh, none of that. It's not like that, Buffy. I explained it all." He went back to nuzzling her neck, but she could feel the these more desperate moves and his earlier languid, sleepy ones.



Buffy might have changed her mind if she couldn't smell Anya's perfume on him, or if she hadn't seen the way Spike went pale the second he thought Xander might have been hurt. She allowed him to continue holding her close, but she refused to give in all the way.



"Spike, they need you, and you need them."



"No, Buffy, they have each other, I need you." When she didn't respond immediately, Spike sighed. "I know, pet, I know, it's so soon, how could I feel that way, you don't feel that way, but, if you just give me a chance, Buffy."



He pulled back and looked into her eyes, trying with all that he had left after the emotionally wrecking day to convey all he felt for her without words. "I'm just asking for a chance, luv." He bent forward slowly and touched his lips to hers. She tried to resist them, she really, really did, but they were so soft, and they so perfectly molded to hers. She might have been able to pull away momentarily if his wicked tongue hadn't begun to tease her lips apart and insinuate itself in between them.



She moaned and he echoed her before deepening the kiss and changing the mood from quiet hesitancy to desperate need. She responded now with as much intensity as he had. They finally broke apart when air became an issue, but Spike wasn't going to let her analyze anything while they caught their breath. He made his way down her jaw to the soft flesh behind her ear, briefly sucking and making her moan in a way that shot straight to his groin.



"Buffy, baby, you make the sexiest sounds." He moved to her neck and licked his way back up to her jaw. "Let's go home, pet." She stiffened a bit and though his mouth didn't pause, his hands stroked her at a more comforting, less demanding pace. "Nothing too naughty, luv. Just want to hold you all night, too tired to do much else I'm afraid."



He sucked once more behind her ear and when she arched her body into his she didn't think his cock agreed with the whole "too tired" thing.



The feel of his length against her stomach and his lips back on hers made the whole friendship thing seem ridiculous. No way in hell could they ever be friends. The attraction was too hot to be ignored, she was ready for him the second he laid his too sexy, too blue eyes on her. She pressed herself against him tighter and he groaned, rubbing his erection against her slowly.



"Oh, baby, feel what you do to me, feel how much I want you." His hands found her ass and pushed her even closer. "Can we, Buffy, can we please?"



She was nodding before she realized it, her hands found their way under his shirt and she rubbed his nipples making him groan even louder than before. The fact that they were in a hospital waiting room and that Buffy had made the firm decision not to travel down this road with him was all but forgotten.



Until Anya's voice cut through the haze of lust and struck Buffy like a fist.



"I guess Xander doesn't have to stay the night after all, Spike. So you ready to go?"



Buffy sprang away from Spike as if he had burned her and held a shaking hand up to her lips. They stared at each other, Buffy with shock at the realization she'd let things go so far after her pep talk about not allowing Spike loving, and Spike with hope that he'd proved friendship wasn't it for them.



When Buffy finally met his eyes, he knew he'd failed. She was more closed off than before, steely resolve the only thing he could see. His heart sunk and he instinctually made a move to get her to stay. Buffy flinched away and then let out a breath.



"I'm sorry, Spike." She had to look away from his eyes before she could continue. "You've got enough to deal with already without adding me to the mix."



"Buffy-"



"I'll see you later." She turned and walked away quickly, trying to keep from running back to him and saying fuck it all, fuck friends, fuck responsibility, fuck the fact she'd probably have to share him with Xander and Anya. She didn't turn around though.



Spike watched her leave and then turned and glared at Anya. She had the decency to look sheepish. "Sorry, I didn't look up before I walked out. Though, in all fairness, a place this public isn't the best choice if you want to seduce someone who isn't too sure about it."



Spike just sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "You got your car here?" When Anya nodded he stood up straight. "Let's go then, I don't wanna be alone tonight."



Anya just nodded and patted his arm before going to deal with all the paperwork necessary to get Xander released.



***



The whole way home, Buffy replayed the night in her mind. She decided then that she hated her brain. She thought through the situation with Spike so many times, it made no sense to her anymore. The only thing she knew for sure was that she wanted him.



If it were a purely sexual thing, she would just call up Riley and pursue something there. He seemed nice, and he was her usual type. She'd go on a few dates, and that would be it. She wouldn't be lonely, she wouldn't have to deal with the bizarre sexual practices of her boyfriend, just nice, normal Riley.



Shit. Fuck that.



***


Spike was upset. He was frustrated, he was confused, and he was lonely as fuck. Xander and Anya had retired to their room and left him to wonder what the hell had changed Buffy's mind between the alley and their confrontation in the waiting room.



He thought that he had explained everything. He wasn't going to be with them if they were together, he wasn't even with them purely to get laid. He realized that his relationship with Anya and Xander was strange, and that most people wouldn't understand that they couldn't stand for Spike to be lonely anymore than he could. They were there for each other, they loved each other, but Xander and Anya were the couple. Spike was a third wheel, even if he was a very well lubed one.



"Peace offering?"



Spike looked over to see a battered Xander being dragged into his room by a determined and guilty looking Anya.



"Don't think any of us are up to anything much, sweetheart, but I'd love the company."



The uninjured parties helped Xander into Spike's bed and lay down next to him, mindful of his injuries, but also of his need to feel them close.



Anya grabbed onto Spike's hand that was resting on Xander's chest. "I'm really sorry."



Spike smiled softly. It wasn't often Anya admitted that she was wrong, it was even rarer for her to be so sincere about it. "I know, pet, I know. Not your fault." He sighed and looked away until he felt her hand on his face. "She just doesn't want to deal with all of this. How can I bloody blame her?"



Anya didn't have any idea of what to say to that so she just stroked his cheek and leaned in to kiss him.



***



Okay, she could admit it. Spike wasn't going anywhere until she at least attempted something. Buffy angrily pushed the sheets off of her body and stood, pulling on a robe and stomping out into the hall. She could explain the issues, and they'd deal.



It wasn't like he was going to sleep with them while he was trying to be with her.



***



Spike and Anya weren't aware when exactly the kiss had changed from pure friendly comfort to a need they both had to satisfy. All the tension, fear, anger, and guilt they had experienced throughout the day was finally getting a chance to surface. Xander wasn't about to wake up after the pain medication they'd given him kicked in, even with the commotion around him.



Spike pulled the shirt Anya had been wearing up and over her head and she straddled him. "Please, pet, let me in, please."



Spike rarely had sex with Anya when Xander wasn't around, and they'd only done it a few times when Anya was with Xander as a couple. She looked into his eyes and saw the same emotions she'd been bombarded with since she found Xander outside the Bronze and knew that he needed it as much as she did. She sank down onto his shaft and they began to rock together, their foreheads touching.



"We won't leave you, we'll never leave you alone," she whispered



Spike nodded against her and kissed her softly, amazed at the depth of feeling this woman had, who most people assumed thought of nothing but the stock market and the best way to achieve orgasm.



"Love you too, pet."



***



Buffy took a deep breath outside Spike's door and steeled herself. Second decision of the night, and she was pretty sure she could stick to this one. She knocked softly, but got no answer.



"Spike," she whispered, "it's Buffy."



She thought she heard something along the lines of "come in." She opened the door and decided to immediately begin her apology.



"Listen, Spike, I'm-" She looked up at the exact moment Anya and Spike did the same. There was a silent, tense filled second and then they all started to speak at once.



"Buffy, it's not what-"



"He really likes you, I swear!"



"I think I should go."



Anya pushed herself off of Spike and grabbed the sheet to cover herself and Spike made to move for his pants.



"Buffy, please, let me ex-"



She held up a hand, "no, nothing to explain, you already told me everything. I just made a mistake, won't happen again."



She turned and walked away from him for the second time that night, but Spike wasn't about to make the same mistake of not chasing after her. He picked up his pants and tugged them on casting an apologetic glance at Anya who shrugged it off.



"Go find her."



 


 

Simple Twist of Fate by lucky021

A/N: Sorry, this is a short post, but it's purely Spuffy, so that explains why. Spike's past begins to play a major role by the next chapter, and things begin to be explained, even if the real mystery of Dru isn't revealed until chapter 20. God, that's a long way off. For now content yourself with a shitload of smut to come (heh) that will balance out the angst of a perilous life history.



They sat together in the park
As the evening sky grew dark,
She looked at him and he felt a spark tingle to his bones.
'Twas then he felt alone and wished that he'd gone straight
And watched out for a simple twist of fate


-Bob Dylan, "Simple Twist of Fate"



Spike found Buffy outside on the back porch watching the stars silently. He took a deep breath and walked out to sit next to her on the swing hanging there. They were both silent for a moment, Spike trying to figure out what he could possibly say to fix the mess he'd gotten himself into, and Buffy willing herself not to cry in front of him.



She just didn't understand why he had gone to bed with Anya after everything he'd said to her. Granted she did walk away from him and tell him nothing could come of it, but dammit, if he cared as much about her as he claimed to, it shouldn't be easy for him to just slip into bed with someone else. The look in his eyes when she had pulled away had been one of the reasons she'd changed her mind. He seemed so sincere, so loving, so heartbroken. If he had truly been any of those things he would have been too upset to fuck someone else, especially if that was the reason she couldn't be with him.



Then again, if what all he said was true, Anya and Xander were there for comfort, to stave off the loneliness he'd felt before and after Tara. If the look in his eyes was any indication, he'd be terribly lonely and upset tonight. Her rejection of him coupled with the near loss of Xander must have taken a major toll on him, and Anya for that matter. They weren't getting crazy with monkey loving as far as she could tell, it looked incredibly intimate and subdued, something born of high emotion and love.



Buffy realized then that either way they weren't right for each other. Either he didn't really care for her, or she couldn't care enough to take over two people's places in his life. Especially if those two people knew him better than anyone but Tara and Willow.



Spike desperately wanted to know what Buffy was thinking. He knew that he had explained the situation to her, and that the fact that he slept with Anya and Xander because he pretty much always had must have lessened the blow a bit, but he still felt terribly guilty. If he had known there was a single bloody chance she'd change her mind ever, he would stay alone for as long as it took. The second she said the word, Xander and Anya could be your everyday typical couple, but he wasn't about to give up the love of his friends for something that would never be.



"Buffy, for what it's worth, I'm sorry."



He didn't dare look at her for fear of seeing the revulsion in her eyes, but when she touched his hand softly he glanced up. "I know, and even if it doesn't change much, I understand what happened."



Spike sighed and shook his head, he'd rather she scream at him, or never talk to him again, anything but accept his apology and still shut him down. The more she accepted him without disgust, the harder he fell for her. Apparently though, it was going to come to nothing, and his heart was going to be shattered before it even fully healed again.



"I know, pet, figured as bloody much."



"Spike-"



"No, 's ok, luv, I get it." He stood angrily, though all of it was directed at himself and ran his hand roughly through his hair. "I'm sorry about all this, Buffy, I really am. God, I'm such a poncey shit, I can't do this."



"Can't do what?"



He turned to face her and knelt down putting his hands on either side of her and looking straight into her eyes. "I know that I look like I'm full of shit, and after tonight, you've got absolutely no reason to want anything to do with me at all, let alone pursue some kind of relationship, but dammit, Buffy, I haven't felt this way about somebody this fast in soddin' ever." He paused and ruffled his hair again in what Buffy was beginning to understand as a nervous gesture.



"I care about you, a lot. I know I've known you for only so long, but there's somethin' about you. Your eyes, the way you know just when and were to touch me when I'm upset. Only been one other person that got to me like you do, but her eyes weren't like yours."



Buffy couldn't keep looking at him when he spoke to her like that. She wondered if he knew that she had intimate knowledge about the girl he was speaking of. It was strange to know so much about him and have him know so little about her, especially when he was the one professing a possibility of love.



"Spike, please don't-"



"No, Buffy, I can't stop this. I can't help being content when you're around and anxious when you're not. Today, or, I guess yesterday, started out as one of the best in my life, and then everything went to absolute shit. When I think that maybe I could have made something of it and I fucked it up for something that means a lot but I could have done without, it tears me up inside."



Buffy finally ditched passivity and brought her hands up to cup his face. "I don't want you to think that I'm not wanting you just as much. I am, Spike, I feel the same about you, and it scares the shit out of me that I look somebody in the eyes and I want to throw everything away to be with them."



"Love at first sight, pet."



Buffy smiled at that and bent down to kiss him softly. He tried to deepen it but she pulled away. "I don't think either of us knows what we're getting into with this." She tugged on his arms and he came to sit next to her, pulling her legs over his lap and wrapping his arms around her. She rested her head on his chest and closed her eyes. "What if we give in, and something happens, and Xander and Anya are off somewhere else physically or emotionally, and you've got nobody for the first time in a long time."



"I don't ca-"



"I do," she said interrupting him. "I can't bear the thought of you alone after all you've been through."



"What do you mean?"



Oh, shit. Guess he didn't know about our little chat. "Umm, I kind of talked to Willow and Tara. They told me some things. Well a lot of things I guess."



Spike stiffened and his arms fell limply to his sides. Buffy looked up at him, expecting anger and finding to her confusion, a lot of fear and insecurity. "They tell you about Dru?"



"Umm, I guess a little, they kind of skirted around that time period a lot."



He let out a small breath and turned his head. "You're right, pet, you don't know what you're in for." He squeezed his eyes shut and then looked back at her. "I'm not a good man, Buffy."



"What?"



"I've done things, a lot of terrible things, and I've paid for them, though not as much as I should have."



"They told me that you were in with a bad crowd, but they also told me that you realized your mistakes and changed."



She pulled him close to her and his arms came back to hold her, though they were hesitant to do so. "Sometimes, no matter how much you want to, you can't take back what you've done, can't make up for some things."



"I know that. I know a lot about regret."



They sat silent for a moment, holding onto each other tighter and tighter as time went by. Eventually they had their faces buried in each other's necks breathing shallowly and wishing they could ignore reality.



"Tell me what you want, Buffy." She looked at him with her brow furrowed and he elaborated. "Tell me what you want in a man, not me, just in general."



Buffy thought for a moment then began. "I guess, I want what I know I shouldn't, and because I know I shouldn't, it makes it impossible to really want wholeheartedly." She chuckled against his shoulder. "Does that make any sense?"



"Yeah, perfect sense, luv."



"So in the end, if I don't want to feel guilty about anything, I just want stable, secure, and good. Just the normal stuff. He doesn't have to be perfect, just content with himself. I think you have to be able to be around yourself all the time before you can expect somebody else to do it. I think I'm still working on that part."



Spike squeezed her to him and tried to swallow the traitorous tears that threatened to fall. She couldn't want him, not the real him. He was barely holding on at this point. Barely able to live with his past and the demons that haunted him if he thought about himself too hard. Self-reflection was a real fear for Spike, he hated what he'd found. Either a sad, bookish, love sick fool that went by William, or a dangerous, sad, love sick fool who drank too much, smoked too much, and did too many drugs. He was an addict, an alcoholic, a killer, a whore, and the biggest fucking disappointment his father ever had the misfortune of begetting.



"Kinda what this Riley bloke sounds like."



To say Buffy was surprised was an understatement. There was no malice or jealousy in Spike's voice when he said Riley's name. Just an emotion she couldn't quite identify that made his voice thick and rough. "I guess." She looked into his eyes and saw that he was trying to keep something in, it hurt her, but she understood, and if she wasn't in love before, she was beyond it now.



"So, that's it then?" she whispered sadly, her cheek against his, no longer caring that tears were pooling in her hazel eyes.



He would do one bloody thing right in his life, he was going to make sure she had everything he couldn't give her, and it was going to fucking kill him. "Yeah, think it is, luv."



She pulled back and rested her forehead against his, like he had earlier in the night. "Will you change your mind about the friends thing. I don't wanna lose you completely."



Spike nodded against her. "'Course, kitten, don't wanna lose you either." Can't lose you, I fucking love you too much.



Together they leaned in and their lips touched. Like each time before it was soft at first, but the knowledge that in a way it was goodbye caused it to pick up intensity until Spike had her pinned to the porch and both their tears mingled on their faces.



When she pulled back, Spike didn't try to get her to stay, he just helped her stand and held her to him lightly as he catalogued her every feature with the knowledge that barring a miracle, he'd never be this close again. Finally they separated and he wiped away her tears with his thumbs.



"No crying now, baby. 'S for the best." He smoothed her hair and forced himself to stop touching her. "I'm always here, luv, you ever need anything."



She nodded and clasped her hands behind her back to keep from reaching out to him. "Yeah, me too, really Spike. You're not going to scare me away." He gave a brief nod and she turned to walk back into the house.



"Buffy?"



She turned around and saw him, still outside with his hand up against the screen. "If I ever get content with myself, I'm coming after you."



She smiled softly. "I'd be disappointed if you didn't."



He hears the ticking of the clocks
And walks along with a parrot that talks,
Hunts her down by the waterfront docks where the sailers all come in.
Maybe she'll pick him out again, how long must he wait
Once more for a simple twist of fate.



***



A/N: Next time, Buffy and Riley. Betting will now commence on how long they can actually stay together with Spike lovin' beckoning in the background.


Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues by lucky021

A/N: I missed flashbacks, so they're back and they're kinky, so here's your warning. This fic is mostly about Spike trying to learn to live with a terrible past and forgiving himself. If he hadn't done anything terrible, he wouldn't have a problem, so first I've got to establish who he was. This chapter's just a bit of Spike getting his ass in gear. The next five or so will start to move very fast and things will start to fall into place a bit. Thanks to all who have reviewed, it makes my day, please don't stop. Hopefully I'll have the next chapter out by tomorrow at the latest.



"Sweet Melinda
The peasants call her the goddess of gloom
She speaks good English
And she invites you up into her room
And you're so kind
And careful not to go to her too soon
And she takes your voice
And leaves you howling at the moon"


-Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues



 


After her heart to heart on the porch with Spike, Buffy decided to dive head first into dating Riley and trying to get what she could never have out of her mind. Weeks passed, school began, and she saw very little of Spike. She couldn't tell if he was trying to avoid her or if they just had conflicting schedules. She hoped it was the latter as she still wanted to see him in a platonic capacity, even if it hurt them both a little.



By the third week and the fifth date with Riley, they decided to see each other in an official and exclusive manner. She was under no delusions that it was going to last forever, but he was nice and stable and gave her all the attention and space that she needed. She liked Riley, she really did, and sometimes she felt guilty dating him when, in her mind, there was no chance for a real commitment on her part, at least not emotionally. She still wanted Spike, but she was over the gloomy period of regret that things couldn't be different.



Her relationships with the others in the house progressed and she began to feel more welcome within the previously impenetrable make-shift family. Willow and Tara were still the closest to her, and after a while she felt like she could confide pretty much anything to them. Tara was quiet but firm when she needed to be, and she seemed to be the most understanding and forgiving of anyone she'd met. Willow was quirky and ambitious, but some of Tara's understanding must have rubbed off on her, plus, both of them had been close to Spike through whatever hell he'd lived through, and that must have forced a lot of compassion and tolerance on them. Buffy still wasn't sure what exactly had happened to him in the years after Tara left him, but she knew they'd been bad, both the things he'd done, and the things that had been done to him.



At first, Buffy was reticent about forming any relationship with Anya. She still felt a little jealous about the whole Spike situation, and she was a little put off by the bluntness of Anya's conversation. After Anya confronted Buffy about Spike and how sorry she was that things couldn't work out, while at the same time making Buffy slightly uncomfortable with some intimate knowledge of the whole house's sex lives, she'd warmed up to her considerably. Now Anya was her number one shopping buddy, and they'd even scheduled a double date with Xander and Riley.



Xander was intensely protective of Spike, but he seemed to realize that Spike's pain was paralleled by Buffy's, and that sometimes it wasn't anybody's fault. He became like an older brother to her, he made damn sure Riley was treating her right at every opportunity, though she could tell he was looking for a way to get her and Spike together. Both he and Anya, though they thought they were being stealthy and liked Riley well enough, were obviously plotting to help Spike into a new relationship with her.



By the third week of school Buffy was already swamped, she felt like she hadn't stopped for a moment since the semester started. Eighteen credit hours, plus the job hunting she'd been fruitlessly doing were enough to make Buffy decide to stay home that Friday and do nothing but sit on the couch and watch movies. Everyone else seemed to have plans, so that meant she could be alone. She didn't have to talk, entertain, or even move.



It was bliss.



"Buffy?"



Great, now it was just going to be uncomfortable.



"Yeah? I'm in here."



Spike strolled into the living room in sweat pants and nothing else. Buffy looked down to try to hide the flush that crept into her cheeks.



"Mind if I join you, pet? I'm a little knackered myself, haven't had a break since God knows when."



She avoided looking at him and scooted to the side of the couch making room. "Sure, though, I'm not very good company now. I'm too exhausted to do anything but sit and stare."



He sat down and propped his feet up on the coffee table. Buffy didn't exactly have a foot fetish, but some people should be legally required to wear shoes outside the bedroom. "'S alright. Pretty much the same here." They sat in silence for a moment, the only sound coming from the television. "Haven't seen you 'round much lately, how've you been?"



Most people wouldn't have been able to pick up on the underlying questions, but Buffy's hypersensitivity to anything Spike made her acutely aware of what he really wanted to know. She wasn't going to indulge him though, if he wanted to know about Riley, he'd have to be man enough to ask. "Just really busy, school and all. I've been trying to find a job, but I think I waited too long, everything's full. You?"



"Busy with the book and my TA duties, plus school on top of that. Keeps me busy, but I'm really happy with almost everything."



They let the last part hang in the air between them until Buffy was too uncomfortable to let it pass. "Spike, I really do want us to be friends."



He looked over at her and watched her pick at the blanket. "Me too, pet. What's the problem?"



She continued to avoid his eyes, as he'd pulled her in too many times already with them, and took a deep breath. "Just, I feel like ever since that night, we haven't even seen each other. I mean, I figured it was our schedules, but even so, I see everyone else at least occasionally."



He ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "Well... I mean," he sighed again. "Buffy, it's not as easy as all that."



"You think I don't know that?"



"Well you're the one who's making it sound like I'm avoiding you just because I'm a jackass. I'm trying to stay away until I know that I can be a friend to you, not just somebody that tries to convince you that you made the wrong decision all the time."



Buffy nodded. "So was tonight the grand unveiling of new friend Spike."



He chuckled and she felt the mood shift a bit into more comfortable territory. "Yeah, new friend Spike, here for all your girl's night in needs. I even have ice cream as a bit of a peace offering for the last few weeks."



"What kind?"



"Well, a few, Phish Food, Half Baked, Chubby Hubby, and plain old vanilla in case those were too adventurous for you."



"Offering accepted, you may now bring them to me to sample."



He laughed at her imperious tone and pulled himself off of the couch. "Demanding little chit, aren't you?"



"You were Mr. Avoidy, now you have to suffer the consequences."



"Yeah, yeah," he called back as he walked into the kitchen.



He returned a few minutes later with spoons and all the cartons of ice cream. They sat together and debated the merits of each combination while half watching television and half watching each other. It was as if nothing had ever been awkward between them and Buffy marveled at the way they had shifted from serious uncomfortable talk to an actual friendly night together. As the night progressed and they both grew more tired, Buffy didn't object when Spike pulled her over to rest her head in his lap. He ran his fingers lightly through her hair and tried to enjoy her closeness in a purely platonic way. There was a bit of longing, but Spike had had three weeks to pull himself out of pursuer mode and into friend mode. He wanted to be there for her and show her that he wanted to be there even if it wasn't exactly what he envisioned the first time he saw her.



Buffy loved the feeling of his hands in her hair, she knew she was indulging in a bit of a fantasy laying with him like that, but she didn't care. They weren't going to take it any farther, and she didn't feel guilty when Riley entered her thoughts. Spike was forbidden territory as far as she was concerned, and so a little friendly touching was just that, friendly.



"Buffy?"



"Yeah," she murmured, his hands felt wonderful and she wasn't able to really focus.



"How are things... I mean, between you and Riley."



She stiffened slightly and he held his hands still. "Umm, good I guess. It's not too terribly serious if that's what you're asking. I mean, we're together, I mean, exclusively, but, I'm not really looking for anything permanent with him."



Spike's hands began to move again and she closed her eyes. "Does he make you happy?"



She thought for a moment. "Yeah, for now he does."



They sat silently, watching the movie that had come on moments before and trying not to think too hard about the other. Spike was a mess of conflicting emotions. He wanted Buffy to be happy, so he was glad that Riley was good to her, but in the end, he really wanted to be the one to do it. He was glad that she wasn't looking for anything permanent, but at the same time he wished she was, that way he could stop hoping and just get on with life. It was confusing, and it took a lot of time before he finally exhausted himself thinking about it.



Hours later, Buffy had fallen asleep and he was beginning to nod off. Spike stood and picked up Buffy to carry her to her room. He tucked her in and stood back watching her for a moment. He allowed himself a small smile and kissed her hair.



"Night, luv."



***



Buffy allowed herself to sleep in the next morning, and by the time she awoke, she felt well-rested and ready to start the hectic pace of her life again. She called Riley to confirm their date with Xander and Anya that night. She was the happiest she'd been since she came to Sunnydale. Things were finally well-defined and normal between she and Spike, she finally felt comfortable and welcome with her new friends, and she had a considerate boyfriend.



There was very little that could make life better at this moment.



Buffy walked out into the kitchen and saw Spike slowly sipping a cup of tea while reading the paper. He looked adorable with his sleep tousled hair. She smiled and poured herself some coffee and he smiled back. "Mornin' luv, sleep well?"



"Oh yeah. I finally feel like I can get through today without wishing for a nap."



"I know what you mean, I haven't slept-in in what feels like forever." They sat in a comfortable silence for a while sipping their drinks. "So what are you up to today, pet?"



"Not much, going out tonight with Riley and Xander and Anya."



Spike looked up at this. "Like...like a double date thing?"



He sounded weird, but she couldn't tell exactly what he was feeling. "Umm, yeah, I guess."



"Oh." She looked up to see him open his mouth a few times as if to say something, but then shut it again. The moment he touched his hair she knew he was agitated.



"Is something wrong?"



Spike looked up and she could see a brief glimpse of the hurt in his eyes before he covered it up. "No, 'course not, why would anything be wrong." He went to close the paper but he knocked his tea over. She watched him jerkily move around trying to clean up his mess. Finally he finished and made his way out of the kitchen without another word to her.



"Well that was weird, what the hell is his problem?"



***



"You're going on a bloody double date with her and that ponce?!" Spike was pacing in Xander's room while he and Anya sat on the bed facing the brunt of Spike's wrath.



"It's not like she doesn't go on dates with him without us, why are you so pissed off now?"



"Because you two are supposed to be my friends! I know this is childish, but I don't care." He continued to pace though he was visibly trying to calm himself down. "I'm having a hard enough bloody time as it is not going crazy seeing how happy some other bloke makes her, then you two go and act like it's fine, like we all accept this wanker as one of us!"



Xander and Anya shook their heads and sighed in unison. "Listen, Spike, you were the one who told us to make Buffy feel welcome, and I for one really enjoy her company while shopping. She's the only one around here who seems to get as excited as I do about exchanging money for fabulous shoes. It's like she loves the economy almost as much as she loves her art, and when living with a bunch of artists, it gets a little lonely being the only one who loves money-"



"Ahn, back on topic."



"Fine, let's talk more about how Spike is too insecure to actually go out and get the girl and gets mad at us when we just do what he asks a little too well. It's boring Xander, and I need to go get ready."



Spike stared speechless at his sometime lover. Xander took pity on him. "Spike, I get how you feel, really, you know I've been there too, but, man, you gotta make a decision. Are you gonna try to be what she wants, and maybe what you want too, or are you gonna give up, really give up and move on?"



Spike sat down next to him. "I know what I want to do, but I don't know if it's possible. I'm not at all who I used to be, but I'm not even sure if little William was what Buffy needed. I just don't know where to start."



Anya moved to sit on his other side. "Spike, you've got to let go of it all. It's just too much to hold onto."



"She's right, man. You forgive yourself, and then you can start. It's time to do it, even if it's not for Buffy."



"I don't de-"



"Shut-up," Anya said sharply, putting a hand to his mouth. "Nobody wants to hear about how you don't deserve to live or be forgiven or have a dick or whatever. We've all forgiven you, even your father. You're just throwing it back in our faces by not doing it yourself."



Spike nodded. Xander stood up and patted his friend on the shoulder. "Chin up young man! Things will be looking up for you soon enough." Spike managed a weak smile as Anya stood as well and they left Spike alone to think.



***



"Tara? Red?"



"We're in here, Spike."



Spike walked into the room shared by his sister and former love. Willow sat at the desk in the corner and Tara on the bed with a book open in front of her. "So..umm... What you birds up to?"



Tara and Willow exchanged a look before closing up their books and pulling Spike onto the bed between them. "What's wrong?"



Spike began to shake his head and Willow broke in, "don't say nothing, we know you too well to fall for it."



He sighed and sat back against the wall. "I guess... Umm, I guess I need some advice."



"Well, you came to right place, advice 'r us here. Tell me big brother, what's on your mind?"



Spike played with the edge of Tara's sweater as he gathered his thoughts. "Tara, luv, when you first met me, did you think I could have made you happy?" When she didn't immediately respond he felt like an ass. "I'm sorry, you don't have to answer that. I'm not tryin' to rock the boat, I just need to know-"



"Spike, it's ok." Tara put a reassuring hand over his and Willow grasped his other one. "We understand, it's not too hard to figure out that what's going on with Buffy has a lot to do with what's happened in the past."



He nodded and squeezed Willow's hand. "Now to answer your question, yeah, I think that if I hadn't met Willow, or if circumstance had never let us both see each other as we were, I think you would have made me very happy."



"But," Willow cut in, "that doesn't mean that what makes Tara happy will make Buffy happy. I don't think Buffy's looking for William, or for the guy you were when you picked up the name Spike, I think she's looking for you as you are now, only without the fear."



"Will, she's not going to judge you, maybe if you open up and tell her, you'll feel better about everything." Tara put a hand on his cheek and turned his eyes toward her. "One thing for sure, if you want to pursue anything, you have to tell her everything. I mean it, Will, she deserves that much from you."



"Yeah, she deserves more, and that's why I shouldn't even try. Have you met this guy she's with? Is he good for her?"



"Spike, you are the lamest person I know right now. We all know you don't like this guy, just because of the fact he has Buffy and you don't, but do you want to know who's got the power to change this situation to your liking?" Spike looked at her blankly and Willow let out a frustrated noise. "You do!"



"How can you even s-"



"Stop!" she held up a hand and turned away from him. "No more words, none at all. You make a decision. Stop moping about Buffy and do something about it, or get over it." She looked over at Tara. "I thought Xander and Anya were going to have this conversation for us."



Spike rolled his eyes. "Bloody hell, have you all been discussing this without me?" They just nodded. "I already heard this from them. Guess that means I have a decision to make."



"Guess so." Spike moved to get up but Tara stopped him. "Will, I know it's hard, and there's a lot there that even I don't know about, but if you want to be happy, you've got to let it go."



He nodded and made his way out of the room.



"Do you think he's gonna be ok, I hate it when he's all indecisive and mopey, he's supposed to be the older more sensible sibling."



"Sensible?"



***



Spike sat alone in his room looking at one of the few remaining pictures of he and Drusilla.



"Hello, luv, what's your name then?"



"It's... umm... it's William."



"Oh, William, you gorgeous boy, I'm going to teach you so very much."



"That you did, pet." He sighed and lay back on his bed trying to stave off the wave of memories that threatened to overwhelm him.



"You've never done this before, have you, poppet?"



"What? 'Course I have."



"Don't lie to me you wicked, naughty, boy." She stroked his hair and pushed his head toward the table. "Just like I did, luv. We've got enough to last us all night long, don't worry, it's going to feel so wonderful."



Spike turned onto his side to bury his face in the pillows.



"Do you want to have me, William?"



"What? Here? Um, I just met you."



"Don't you like me, isn't this what you want?" She pulled him to her and rubbed against the growing bulge in his pants making him groan.



"Yes, yes, 'course I do, just-"



"Shh, I know, pet, I know." She put a hand to his chest while the other kept stroking him through his pants. "Someone broke this, but I can make it beat again. Don't you want that, William?"



"Yes, God yes." Before he knew it, he was inside her, thrusting into her up against a wall. His heart was going a hundred miles an hour. He couldn't separate the effect of the drugs from the effect of her, it all combined together into one incredible sensation that made him feel alive for the first time in a year.



"Harder, William, fuck me harder, I know you want to punish me." He moaned and pushed into her harder, barely holding on. "She hurt you, my little William, put it all on me."



Any control he'd had snapped at her words. He thrust into her as hard as he could, taking out all the frustration and pain that had followed him around for the past year on this girl he hardly knew but seemed to see right into his soul. When he came it was explosive and he could barely stay standing. They screamed together into the night.



He lowered her to the ground and that's when he noticed the bruises on her arms and the blood from where her backside had scraped against the wall.



"Oh, oh Dru, luv, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean-"



"Yes you did." He looked up and expected her to be angry, but all he could see was desire. She kissed him harshly and he felt his cock start to stir again. "You did hurt me, and you loved it didn't you," he started to shake his head ashamed that she was telling the truth, he hadn't realized how angry he was until she had allowed him to show her.



"You did, and I liked it. I want you to show me, William, show me all of the pain, I want you to give it all to me." She pulled him to her and rubbed against him. "Yes, pet, I want you to pound into me until I beg you to stop, and then you're going to keep going, aren't you?"



He wanted to say no, deny himself that pleasure of taking what he wanted from her, but he looked into her eyes and he didn't care anymore. She pressed a vial into his hand and he snorted up whatever it was. He'd give this crazy bitch just what she wanted, and he'd show Tara that he didn't give a flying fuck about what she'd done to him.



He pushed her against the wall and unzipped his fly freeing his once more hard cock. She moved to pull her skirts up but he shoved her to her knees and pushed himself against her mouth. "Suck me off you little bitch, I haven't even begun yet."



Dru smiled and got to work.



"Fuck!" Spike gripped his head and tried to shake the memory of that awful night out of his head. The fact that his cock had begun to react had made him even more disgusted with himself. His relationship with Dru had been fucked from the start, but that didn't change the fact that he'd fallen for the crazy bint and given himself to her completely only to have her rip his heart out and piss on it.



He knew deep down that he had changed since then, but he didn't know if that meant anything in the long run. Judging from his body's reaction to that particular memory, it still had no qualms about his twisted sexuality, but he didn't have to resort to that kind of thing to be satisfied. He'd had pretty mild sex with all of his partners outside his time with Dru and been fine.



He groaned and rubbed his eyes. He could talk to Buffy, just as a friend, see where she wanted to go after that. If she could still have feelings for him after he confessed all his misdeeds, then maybe they could work through it.



He sat up and tried to calm down. Tomorrow he'd find Buffy and they'd talk, at least then he'd know one way or another.



First, he needed a cold shower.

All I Really Wanna Do by lucky021

A/N: I dug writing this chapter, it was good times. Anyhow, if this trend keeps up, you can expect a chapter a day for a while. Please keep reviewing, I’d like to know what people would like to see happen and whether or not they like it at all. Yay for more flashbacks next time, but none here, just a good deal of smut and angst.



“I don't want to straight-face you,
Race or chase you, track or trace you,
Or disgrace you or displace you,
Or define you or confine you.
All I really want to do
Is, baby, be friends with you.”


-Bob Dylan, All I Really Wanna Do



"Buffy, baby, I want you so much right now."



She could feel his hardness against her stomach and it excited her, it had been so long since she'd been with someone. She wanted so much to give in to him but she knew it wasn't the right time for either of them. Reluctantly she pulled herself off of him and held his face between her hands trying to pull her lips away from his.



"Riley, me too, but-"



"It's ok, Buffy. I know, just thinking with something else."



She smiled at him and kissed him softly once more. "So was I, but I'm not ready just yet." She pulled back. "Soon."



Riley smiled back. "Really?" Then he tried to act unaffected, Buffy thought it was the worst acting she'd ever seen, but she was amused none the less.



"Really," she said smiling brightly before giving him a last kiss and going in the house.



Riley grinned goofily and walked to his car.



***



"Buffy?" Spike asked, knocking softly on her open door.



"Yeah?" She turned around and her smile widened as she saw him. "Hey, Spike, what's up?"



He shuffled into her room nervously and shut the door. He'd been working himself up to this conversation for hours now and he decided he couldn't wait until tomorrow. He prayed she'd come home after her date and not go off to shag captain cardboard before he had a chance to talk to her. He started to play with some of the picture frames on her dresser while he worked up the nerve to speak.



"Just wanna hang out or..." Buffy was too happy at the moment to be worried about his behavior, as it was she settled for mildly amused and a little confused.



"No, I needed to talk to you about something... Um, kind of important."



"Well, come sit down, I actually wanted to talk to you too, just thought you'd be asleep by now."



He smiled weakly and sat next to her, trying not to let her nearness destroy the speech he'd planned in his bedroom minutes before. "You go first." Coward!



She couldn't keep the dreamy grin that spread across her face from doing so. "Well, it's kind of weird, and I'd ask Tara and Willow what they thought, but I need a man's opinion."



He was getting worried now, it sounded like a "what do I get my boyfriend for Christmas" or a "how far can I take this without seeming like a slut" question. He prayed to whoever would listen it wasn't the latter. He didn't think he could deal with that after his night of hellish recollections and preparation.



"Shoot, luv." Please, please, please, please....



"I kind of want to sleep with Riley."



Oh fuck me.


"Let me guess, you want to know how long you should wait so that he doesn't think you're easy?"



Buffy looked a little shy and nodded. He was glad she seemed to miss the pain in his voice. "I mean, we've been going out for a while, it's not like we're virgins or anything. He wants to, but I'm not sure."



Spike looked at his hands to keep from getting all emotional and acting like an ass in front of her. She wanted a friend, he promised to act like one. This was the kind of advice friends gave, so he was going to do the best he could. He should have known this was a fucked idea from the start.



"The way you look right now, I'm guessing you like him a bit more than you let on last night."



"Well, it's just, tonight was really fun, better than it's ever been. I'm starting to think that maybe there could be something more than just a temporary boyfriend thing here."



Inside Spike was screaming. Outside he seemed like the perfect friend, considerate and caring. He cleared his throat to try to keep out any emotional outbursts. "Does he seem like he wants a relationship that might last a long time?"



"Yeah, I mean, I was really standoffish at first. He really wanted to make things official between us from almost the beginning, but I held off. I don't think he's in it just for the sex, but that can change a lot of things."



"That it can, luv." Spike risked a glance at her face and saw that she really did look happy, it both pained and delighted him to see her that way. "I'd say go for it, I mean, you both want it." He paused when he saw something flicker across her face that he couldn't identify. "What's holding you back, I don't think that's all there is."



She looked down and her expression clouded. "It's just, I like him, and he's good to me, but there's something missing."



Spike got it then, she wanted sparks, and while Riley was good man, he wasn't setting her on fire. "Not everybody finds someone that does that for them, Buffy, at least, not someone who does that and is good for them."



"But we-"



"Shh," he put a finger to her lips and shook his head. "No, luv, don't do that." He brought his other hand up to stroke her hair and brush a few stray strands back. "We're done with that fantasy, yeah?"



She nodded her head and sighed. "I'm sorry."



"Don't be, pet. Just want you to be happy. You never know, this bloke may strike something inside you after all. Gotta give him a chance though."



"Yeah, I know. It's just hard, to not hold anything back with someone, I'm not sure I can do it."



"He's not asking you to. Go slow, find your own rhythm. Everything will work itself out."



Buffy looked at Spike and realized really for the first time how much he really cared about her. "You're really good at this."



He forced a chuckle to break the serious mood and stood up. "I'm good at everything I do, lamb."



"Whatever." He started to walk away and she called out to him. "Hey, what did you want to tell me?"



Spike swallowed and looked back at her. "Nothin' important, luv. Sweet dreams."



"You too, Spike. Thanks."



"Anytime," he said softly before closing the door as his heart clenched painfully in his chest.



***



Spike didn't come out of his room the next day until Buffy had left in the afternoon to meet Riley. She was a little disappointed that she didn't get to see him before the big day, but she figured he must have slept late. In truth, she wanted to give him one last chance to tell her not to sleep with Riley. She didn't understand how he was so indifferent to the whole situation, she thought he would have decided to shirk all logic and take her then and there. Part of her was happy that he did what he did. He was going to move on, and so was she, they would be happier for it.



This was a very small part of her.



When Spike did finally emerge from his hiding place he went straight to Xander. He walked into the brunette's room and closed the door behind him before crawling under the covers with him. After a long night with Anya, Xander was dead tired, he didn't understand how his girlfriend could get up only a few hours after they went to sleep to go to work. He wasn't about to move until at least four in the afternoon. The presence of an affectionate Spike put a but of a damper in his plans, but sleep was nothing compared to the things his tongue could do.



"Will?"



"Yeah, Xand?" Spike asked, placing a few more open-mouthed kisses on the back of his neck.



"What's going on?"



"Just lonely, 's all. Didn't know I needed a bloody excuse," he said a little bitterly pulling away and facing the ceiling.



"Hey, Will, I'm sorry, just a little confused, I thought you were gonna talk to Buffy today."



At the mention of her name Spike flinched. He rolled onto his side and propped himself up on his elbow so that he could look at Xander. "I did last night."



When he didn't say anymore Xander rolled his eyes. "And?"



Spike tried to lean down and kiss him, but Xander evaded his lips. "Nice try, tell me what happened or no Xander lovin'."



Spike rolled again onto his back and let out a deep breath. "Before I could say anything to her she was asking if I thought it was ok to sleep with that tosser of hers."



"Oh, man, I'm sorry, Will."



"Yeah, well, couldn't say I shouldn't have expected it. I walk in and she's all dreamy eyed and happy. God, I'm such an idiot."



Xander rolled over and put both hands on the side of his friend's face. "No you're not, you really liked a girl, you didn't think you were ready, somebody else got there first. Isn't the first time this has happened to one of us, probably won't be the last. For you anyway."



"Yeah, you're all set up aren't you. Lucky, Xander, got a girlfriend and a cock to satisfy all your depraved needs."



"Don't forget that cock's attached to my best friend whom I love."



Spike looked up and smiled genuinely for the first time since he walked into Buffy's room the night before. Xander bent down to kiss Spike gently. "Thank you, Xand."



"Hey, no problem, I'm fixit man, just bring me all your broken hearts and I'll mend 'em."



"Yeah, how many is this now, three?"



"Four, don't forget Cecily."



"Oh, bloody hell, that bint barely bumped the thing compared to what came later." Xander bent down again and this time they both deepened the kiss until both of them were panting for breath. Xander reached down to tug at Spike's pants but he stopped him. "Is this ok, I mean, Anya-"



"Would understand," he said before reaching in and pulling out Spike's cock. "God, you're so hard already."



"Yeah, pet, love that mouth of yours."



Xander grinned and ducked beneath the covers to take Spike in his mouth. "Oh, fuck, Xand, you're so bloody good to me."



He licked him up and down a few more times before sitting up and reaching into his bedside table for the lube. "Put it on me, Will."



Spike smiled and stroked Xander's cock with the oil getting it slick while making him even harder. He bent and licked up the precum that had gathered. "Stop, Will, stop, I've got to be inside you."



Spike removed his pants completely and groaned loudly when Xander pushed first one finger, then two inside. "I'm ready, I'm ready, just do it, pet, please."



Xander thrust in quickly and they both cried out. "Ohh, oh fuck, Will." He began to stroke Spike in time with his thrusts and soon both of them were barely hanging on. "I'm gonna cum, do it with me, Will, please."



Spike pushed back on Xander's cock and cried out as he felt his friend's spunk begin to fill him. His ejaculate spurted onto his stomach and chest. They lay together finding their breath. Finally, Xander pulled out gently and lay down next to him, pulling Spike against his chest.



After a few moments of silence, Xander finally spoke. "You'll find someone else, Will, someone that'll love you like you deserve."



"I don't know. Who wants to deal with the mess I've made of myself? I don't even like to think about it too hard. Fuck, I really think I love her, Xand."



Xander just stroked his hair and kissed him softly. "Just time then." Spike groaned next to him and Xander smiled. "But, a little jack always speeds things up."



"I like the way you're thinking, mate."



***


Anya met them at O'Donnell's Pub once she got off of work. They were already plastered.



"Hey, baby!" Xander yelled out right as she walked in, he sauntered up to her and draped a heavy arm across her shoulders as he led he to the booth he and Spike were at in the back.



"Oh, luv, come over here, Spike's got a right big prezzie for you, lamb." Anya looked suspicious but moved to sit next to him anyway. He pulled her into his lap and nuzzled her neck while Xander slid in next to them and slid his hand up her skirt under the table. She could feel just how big Spike's present was as it prodded her quite insistently in the ass.



"Boys, have you been naughty while I was away?"



Spike rolled his tongue under his teeth and smiled lasciviously while Xander put on his best puppy dog face. She rolled her eyes and took a large swig of the bourbon in front of Spike. “Well, you better let me get really drunk before I’m willing to play with you here.”



Spike was rubbing his hardness up against her bottom and in spite of the public nature of it, Anya was getting pretty hot. Xander’s hand rubbing circles around her clit weren’t helping the matter. Suddenly she realized something. “Spike, what the hell are you doing?”



Spike pulled his face out from her hair and stopped his lower body’s motions. “What do you mean, luv, you want me to stop?”



“No, I didn’t say stop, I’m just wondering why you’re here getting off in public with Xander and me and not getting off in private with Buffy. I thought you were going to talk to her.”



Spike hung his head and Xander put a comforting hand on his cheek. “It didn’t go so well for bleach boy. He’s a little upset, thought maybe we could cheer him up. You know how he loves sex in public places.”



Anya smirked and ground her bottom into his groin eliciting a pleased groan from Spike. “I’m sorry, Spike, but Xander and I will be glad to give you drunken orgasms to get over her.”



“Love that bluntness, pet,” he said before licking a line from her neck to her ear. Luckily, O’Donnell’s was one of the few places in Sunnydale that didn’t mind a little, well ok, a lot of public displays of affection. It was the only place that Xander, Spike, and Anya felt comfortable being affectionate with each other in. After the incident at the Bronze, Spike was a little wary, but Xander had convinced him, reminding him that they would all be together tonight.



Anya lifted her skirt a little and Xander pulled off her panties and stuck them in his pocket. They had mastered the art of sex in laps while sitting in booths after Spike had insisted they go on a public sex rampage while they were still in high school. Spike reached under Anya to unfasten his belt and unzip his fly. His cock sprang up and Anya quickly sunk down. He thrust shallowly into her while she ground down on him making it as seemingly innocent as they possibly could.



Spike’s hand reached across Anya to grasp Xander through his pants and stroke him. They alternated kissing partners and soon enough the excitement of getting away with something so naughty and the fact they knew each other’s bodies better than anyone led them all to a shuddering but quiet climax. Xander managed to grab a napkin at the last moment to catch his cum in while Spike and Anya held on tight.



Anya took a long swallow of the Jack Daniel’s that Xander was drinking and soon they were all dizzy and satiated. They cuddled together in the booth while Spike and Anya discussed his love life, or lack thereof. Around midnight they decided to call it a night and head home to Spike’s large and very comfortable bed.



***



The threesome stumbled into the house noisily almost knocking down the coat rack as they attempted to shush each other and hang up their coats simultaneously. They paused in the hallway for gropes and kisses and finally they made their way to Spike’s bedroom door. He pushed them inside then went into the kitchen to get some water. The last sober bit of his brain knew he’d have the hangover from hell in the morning, and he wanted to be at least a little prepared.



As he was walking back to his room, Buffy and Riley slipped quietly inside. They giggled a little and kissed in the foyer while Spike watched. He’d already cried a little on Anya’s shoulder that night, but now, seeing them in the flesh together, watching the way he put his hands on her like he wanted to possess her, it snapped something inside of him.



He dropped the glass and it shattered on the wood floor, startling the couple from their embrace. Buffy looked up to see a teary Spike standing in the middle of shattered glass.



“Spike?”



He didn’t say anything, just turned to stumble into his room, but he stepped directly on a few shards of glass and let out a howl that only a drunk could manage.



He stumbled back into the wall and stepped on more. Finally, he fell onto his back just as Buffy crossed the hall to help him. She checked to see that there was no glass underneath her, then knelt next to him. “Spike, are you ok?”



“Bleeding, buggering, fuck! Fucking, fucked motherfucker!” He covered his face with his hands and Buffy heard Xander and Anya poke their heads out of his bedroom.



“What did you do to him?” Anya shrieked.



It was then that Buffy noticed that they were all seriously wasted. Xander was leaning heavily on Anya who was swaying and holding herself up on the door. Spike was sobbing and he couldn’t seem to sit up. Buffy looked up at Anya. “He dropped a glass I think, and then he forgot and stepped on it.”



By this time Riley had swept the glass into a corner with his shoe and was standing next to Buffy. “Do you want me to get him into the kitchen?”



Buffy squeezed her eyes shut. This had to be the most humiliating situation for Spike, being helped by her boyfriend. “Yeah, let me help you, we’ll just get him under the arms.”



They moved to grab him and Spike let out a cry as he tried to stand and the glass cut deeper into his feet. “Shh, Spike, we’re going to do all the work, just don’t move your feet.”



He nodded and they picked him up with a little difficulty and sat him down on the counter next to the sink.



Buffy told Riley to just sit down, the night was ruined, she wanted him to just go home, but she felt guilty about the whole thing. Spike obviously did care, a lot, but if he did, he shouldn’t have told her to move on with someone else.



She came to him and pulled up his foot to examine the bottom. Luckily there were just a few large shards and not a bunch of little ones. She pulled them out quickly and tried to comfort him with a hand to his head. She was nearly finished cleaning them when he finally started to speak.



“Oh, God, Buffy, I’m sorry.” He tried to reach out to her but his hand swiped at air. “God, I’m such a royal fuck-up, you made the right bloody choice.”



“Shh, Spike, it’s ok-”



“No, it’s not ok, it’s not ever gonna be ok, I fucking love you Buffy, I do, I swear it!” She looked frantically at Riley who looked stunned.



“Maybe I should go.”



“No-”



“Yeah, mate, maybe you should!”



“Spike!”



He looked at her drunkenly, his eyes a little out of focus. “What? You want me to lie, say I give you my goddamn blessing?! Well I bloody well don’t!” He grabbed her hands. “I can change, Buffy, I wanted to tell you before, but I was a coward. I want to change for you, be the man you deserve.”



“Spike, shut-up, you’re drunk and you don’t know what you’re saying.” He moved to speak but she held up a hand. “No, you just stay here for a minute, I’ll be back.”



She turned to Riley and motioned for them to go into the hall, she heard him move to stand. “If you get off that fucking counter, Spike, the pain in your feet is going to make you pass out. Sit down!”



She pulled Riley out and took a deep breath. “I’m so sorry about all this.”



“Hey, it’s not your fault.”



“I’m still sorry.”



Riley looked away and grabbed Buffy’s hands. “Look, Buffy, I’m not sure about all this.”



“What do you mean?”



“I just... I think maybe we should wait a bit. I think tonight’s given us a lot to think about.”



Buffy squeezed his hands tighter. “No, what he’s saying, he doesn’t mean it, he’s just really drunk.”



“I’m not stupid Buffy, and I’m not giving up either. All I’m saying is, I want you to be there completely when it happens, and it looks like you’ve got some things to either make clear to him, or make clear to me before you can be with anyone.”



Buffy didn’t know what to say, so she remained silent as Riley kissed her softly then grabbed his coat and walked outside.



She stood in the hall for a minute before she went back in to face Spike. He was passed out on the counter, his feet had stopped bleeding, but she knew they were going to hurt like hell for a while. She went into his bedroom and grabbed a worried Xander and Anya to help her carry him to bed.



They decided to go to their own bed and Buffy was left to make sure he had water for the morning and some aspirin. She pushed some of his stray curls off his forehead and bent to kiss him.



“You say you want to change, Spike, but you never do anything to convince me you can.” She sat with him a little while longer before she stood to go to her own bed. She bent down and kissed him again. “But if you can... I think I might love you too.”

It Ain't Me Babe by lucky021

A/N: This chapter has a brief mention of rape, and this issue will be making frequent appearances for a while. Thanks for all the reviews I've gotten so far and I hope everyone who likes this continue to enjoy it and review. I'm really excited about this part, so I'll probably be updating pretty frequently, but I do have a few papers due, so we'll see how it goes. School vs. Spuffy though, it's kind of a no brainer.



"Go lightly from the ledge, babe,
Go lightly on the ground.
I'm not the one you want, babe,
I will only let you down.
You say you're lookin' for someone
Who will promise never to part,
Someone to close his eyes for you,
Someone to close his heart,
Someone who will die for you an' more,
But it ain't me, babe,
No, no, no, it ain't me, babe,
It ain't me you're lookin' for, babe."


-Bob Dylan, It Ain't Me Babe



The first thing Spike noticed when he woke up the next morning was a dull but damn painful throbbing in his feet. Next came a similar sensation in his head, then his stomach decided to make its own displeasure with his night of drinking known. Spike groaned softly and lay still for a moment trying to calm his stomach before he brought up his dinner from the night before all over his bed.



He opened his eyes slowly and thanked God he'd had the foresight to close the blinds tightly the night before, light would only make his headache from hell intensify to an unbearable level. He turned his head slowly and saw the glass of water and tablets of aspirin on his bedside table. He swallowed them down with a minimal amount of wincing from the movement and then flopped back down to try to remember what the hell had happened to him.



There were a lot of things amiss. Anya and Xander were gone, he was actually wearing clothing, he had no idea why his feet were burning, and he didn't remember getting the water or the aspirin, or really anything after getting a last hand job from Anya and Xander in the pub.



The thinking was causing his brain to fry so he tried to sit up and look at his feet, maybe that would help jog his memory. His head spun and he tried to calm his stomach again before sitting all the way up. The aspirin was starting to kick in, so his head felt a little better now, but his guts were aching to throw something up. He pulled his foot up and gasped softly when he saw the cuts crisscrossing both his feet.



Suddenly something in his head clicked and he began to remember. Anya and Xander were in his bedroom while he went to get a glass of water. Then... yes, then he had walked out and seen that wanker Buffy was dating with his hands all over her.



"Oh, God." He remembered everything in a rush, the shattered glass, the tears, the horrible confessions that weren't supposed to ever happen, and that same wanker actually helping him, practically carrying him into the kitchen.



It was embarrassing enough that he had seen Spike stumbling about, cutting himself up and sobbing like a child, but then to have been carried by that pumped up all-american boy scout, it was too much. Certainly, Buffy would want nothing to do with him now, not after he'd make a complete and utter jackass of himself, and in front of her lover no less.



God, she had probably gone straight to bed with him after that display. He'd practically thrown her into that pansy's arms.



He had to take it all back, she'd understand. When your drunk, you say all kinds of things you don't mean. Stuff just comes tumbling out of your mouth, especially if you have one as big as Spike's. He'd explain that he'd been emotional about something having to do with Tara or Xander, God, even Anya. She'd believe that, she'd have to.



If he couldn't have her, he at least had to save a little scrap of his dignity in front of her. Couldn't let the bint take him over entire, it just wouldn't do. She could do whatever, or whoever she likes, and it can't bother him because he told her to, and because he was doing the same thing. It was irrational and chauvinistic to expect her to wait around while he poked and got poked by others. Of course, that didn't change the fact that he hated the very idea of her even touching anyone else. He hated being so weak that he automatically went to Xander and Anya for comfort every time something didn't go his way, but he never claimed to be a strong man.



"You may not be a strong man, but you're mine, William, you're mine. Do what you like to me, I let you because you're mine."



He thrust harder and knew he was hurting her. "Not a strong man, not a man. Just yours, Dru, just yours."



"Aren't you forgetting someone, boy?" William felt a hand on his ass and he shuddered. "Don't forget who made you what you are, and don't forget who you're doing this for. Harder, boy, I want her to scream."



He squeezed his eyes shut, he'd never hated himself as much as he did now, for how much they'd do to get what they needed from this man, they weren't even like humans anymore. "Please, she's already-"



Abruptly he was yanked from his lover and thrown to the floor only to be covered seconds later by a heavy and hard body. "You'll do then." He felt his cheeks spread and then there was pain like he'd never felt before and he screamed. "Yes, you'll do just fine."



He shook his head to try to clear the thoughts and memories before they overtook him. When he remembered, or even just thought too hard about himself, he couldn't stop the waves of melancholy and depression that tried to drown him.



"Oh my God! Will, what did you do?!"



He'd been saved one too many times before by his loved ones, he was tired of them worrying that he was going to do himself in or retreat into the shell that he'd created for himself whenever he was hurt. He hated being so fucking dependant on people, it made him hate himself even more. It was a vicious cycle and he had to stop it.



Talking to Buffy and explaining everything would be a good first step. Speaking of steps, how the hell was he supposed to get around when his feet looked like a fucked up chess board?



***



Buffy had gone over the previous night about a billion times in her head by noon the next day. She'd thought about what Riley had said, but mostly it was Spike that filled the time. She didn't want to hurt Riley, but he was right. If she was thinking about what Spike had said all the time and wondering if things could change between them, then it wouldn't be fair to Riley or even to herself. He was a good guy, and an attractive one, he wouldn't have a hard time finding someone else if Buffy chose to try and work it out with Spike, but she still hated the idea of telling him he'd just been wasting his time.



She sighed and rolled over in her bed, trying to think of one good thing that could come out of this situation. Spike was a definite plus, but then again, he'd started up with Anya and Xander again apparently. Where the hell did he get off going all weepy and glass-droppy seeing her with Riley after he'd probably been having fuckfest 2003 in his bedroom.



Then again, most of her anger about the whole thing had to do more with jealousy and hurt that he could move on so quickly, and less with indignation. He'd made it perfectly clear to her that she should move on, but even so, she didn't think she would have reacted very well to seeing them in the act. In fact, she hadn't, and she'd been sober when she had seen he and Anya.



He was making mistakes right and left, but at the same time, they were ones she could forgive easily if he wanted her too. He said that he'd wanted to change last night, but he never acted like it. Every time she wanted to talk she'd find him fucking either Anya or Xander's or both's brains out. It was enough to make any sane girl walk away. You'd think Spike was crazy enough for both of them, but whenever she was around him, it was like nothing mattered but being together. It was hard and insane and way too unpredictable to rely on.



She wanted stability, but she wanted Spike more. At least most of the time she did, when she was with Riley, Spike started to seem like a little too much work for someone with enough going on already. He had all kinds of demons, and all kinds of issues, and all kinds of keeping his dick in his pants problems.



Buffy realized she had to make a decision between working for what could be a really rewarding relationship, or falling into one that she knew would be mediocre but stable.



"Buffy?"



Oh shit, just what I need right now. "Yeah?"



Spike poked his head around the corner but didn't make eye contact. "Umm, do you think we could talk for a minute?"



She noticed he was leaning hard against the door frame and trying to stand on the sides of his feet. "Oh, God, Spike, come sit down, your feet must hurt like hell." She stood and helped him to the bed and he thanked her quietly. She could tell he was deeply embarrassed, and that earned him a few points.



"About last night..."



"Yeah?"



"I can't tell you how sorry I am about everything, I acted like a right prat, and I can't even begin to apologize, but I'm gonna try."



"Spike-"



"No, lemme finish. What I said, in front of Riley, about you and me, it was out of line, and I'm sorry if it messed things up between you two. I was just drunk, spouting my mouth off because I was upset about other things that don't even have anything to do with you."



"What... What, so you don't-"



"Nah, luv, don't even rightly remember what it was I said exactly. Just a load of shit that you never should have had to been burdened with."



Points were rapidly adding to Riley's half of her scoreboard. Did he think he could just bullshit his way through life and lie to everyone when things got uncomfortable. This wasn't the Spike she knew, he was honest and wore his heart on his sleeve even when it hurt him. This bastard was covering, and it was pissing her off.



"Don't lie to me, Spike, I can take your other shit, but this is making me mad."



"What?"



"You heard me. Don't tell me that last night didn't mean anything because it had to."



"And why's that, pet? Think you can just tug me around by my short hairs all the time and run around with that tosser? You made a decision, and I was just upset, trying to get you to change your mind by using every trick in the book. Drunken revelations? Just trying to get a good shag, pet."



Spike couldn't believe he was saying this to her, but she'd called him out and he had automatically gone into defense mode. He looked up and saw the pain in her eyes quickly covered with anger.



"How the fuck can you say that to me? After everything that's happened between us-"



"What? A few good lines is all. You looked good, I wanted a taste and you wanted to talk about love and feelings and relationships. I'm not bloody made that way. I got friends, that's all I need. No bints cocking things up for me when I give 'em a part of me to piss on."



"I never said a goddamn thing about love, that was all you! You were the one with the love at first sight, I wanna change, give me a chance, I love you shit!"



Oh fuck, he'd actually told her that he loved her. He didn't remember that before, but now that moment came back to him with perfect clarity and he wished he could start this whole conversation over.



"Wait, wait a minute, pet. I didn't mean for all this to happen, just let me think for a minute and we can work this out."



"No, get the fuck out, Spike, I don't think I ever want to see you again."



"Buffy, let me just think for a goddamn minute, I'm sorry, ok, I just... I got scared for a minute, but-"



"Don't try to pull me back in, you told me what you wanted, you're not getting it. Get. The. Fuck. Out!"



He tried to touch her arm but she yanked it away and stood, she was shaking with emotion and he couldn't believe he had fucked up so utterly out of misplaced pride. "I'm sorry, Buffy please-"



"No, just.." her voice softened and he saw the beginnings of tears in her eyes. "Just get out, there's not a damn thing you can say to make this better. I need time to decide whether or not I can even speak to you after this."



He started to say something, but he stopped himself and stood up gingerly. He walked to her door and stopped. He looked back but she was facing away from him so he closed the door and walked to his room realizing that he'd probably just lost his last chance.



***



Buffy heard her door open about an hour later and she pinched the bridge of her nose. "Go away, Spike."



"It's us," Willow said from the door. She and Tara stepped inside and closed the door. Buffy turned around and managed a weak smile as they sat down next to her in the bed. "We heard the yelling, and then we heard Spike throwing things in his room. We figured it was something bad."



"Do you know what happened last night?"



Tara nodded. "Yeah, Anya told us both this morning, she said she was really worried about Spike today. Guess he tried to deny everything, huh?"



Buffy looked at her with brief shock, then remembered that these girls knew him better than he knew himself. "You guys are creepy sometimes in your knowledge of others here."



Willow smiled. "Well, you live with that guy for a while, he gets pretty predictable." She brushed some hair out of Buffy's eyes and handed her a tissue. "I know you're going to hate us for saying this, but we hope you can forgive him. He goes into self-preservation mode sometimes and does really stupid things, he's just being an idiot, he doesn't mean it."



Buffy nodded and sighed. "I know, I understood while it was going on but it still made me mad. You didn't hear the things he said, he was like a whole other person."



"First clue that it wasn't really him talking," Tara said softly. "It's like William has three people living inside him fighting for control. There's the guy I met, William, the soft, shy poet who gets hurt way too easily, there's Spike, the guy Dru and her crowd created, and then there's who he is now, the guy you met, who's willing to try again but he's too terrified to let go of anything."



Willow nodded in agreement with Tara's assessment. "I feel like we should have made his problems more clear to you and warned you away from him. He's a wonderful, loving, loyal, guy, but he's also a buttload of work."



"I was trying to decide this morning whether he was worth it or not. After the fight I decided he wasn't, but I start thinking about him, about what made him that way, about how much he's hurting all the time. I feel like giving up on him is what he wants in a way, like he wants everybody to just leave him alone so that he can be all mopey and self-loathing without any responsibility. In another way, I think he's looking for someone to save him."



"And in yet another way, I think he wants to do it himself."



"Yeah, I think that's what he ultimately wants, but he doesn't believe in himself enough."



Willow grinned at her. "See, you've only known him for a little while and already you see right through him."



"Well, when you think about the guy a good portion of your day, it's hard not to notice all this stuff."



"He is adorable, isn't he? Kinda hard to resist his charms, even if he is seriously annoying most of the time, not to mention unbelievably frustrating."



Buffy rubbed her eyes. "What the hell am I going to do?" She groaned in frustration and both girls rubbed her arms sympathetically.



"Well, today, let's try to decide whether he's worth a relationship, or maybe just a friendship, or maybe even nothing."



Buffy let out a long sigh. "Ok, well I know I can't really stay away even if I wanted to, so nothing is out of the question."



"Ok, then what's too scary to get past more than a friendship?"



"Maybe if he told me everything about what's happened I could understand a bit more about the things he does now. Also, he jumps into bed with Xander and Anya every time he gets upset. I mean, if he actually came and told me the truth about what he was feeling, we could probably work some things out, but he's always going to them, and it's not to help, it's like he's trying to forget."



"I think that Spike uses sex that way, especially with them. They make him feel secure and loved, but all three of them are like bickering children. They aide and abed each other's vices and they're always using their relationship to get what they want from each other."



Buffy's brow wrinkled in confusion. "What do you mean, they use each other?"



Willow and Tara thought for a moment before Willow began bouncing. "Oh, oh, ok, I got one. Whenever Anya and Xander break up, one of them will go to Spike for comfort to make the other one jealous. Anya does that especially, I think it's to get back at Xander for getting to Spike first."



"They like having Spike there because it's guilt free leverage that they can use, and Spike likes it that way because no matter what, someone always needs him around."



Buffy wondered, not for the first time, how the hell he formed his cocky exterior when he was so damned insecure.



"I know what you're thinking," Tara said quietly to Buffy. Buffy just looked at her blankly. "Why is he so needy, so insecure, and how does he hide it?"



"He's always been like that, since we were kids. He always thought Jenny, out stepmother, loved me more when Giles finally brought her to live with us, and I don't think he ever thought the people he loved felt the same depth of emotion as he did, especially in his romantic life."



Tara looked down and this and Buffy wanted to tell her not to feel guilty about it, but she knew there was nothing she could say to ease that pain for what she'd felt she caused.



They all fell silent for a moment and Buffy felt the pull towards Spike even though she was struggling against it. "I guess... I guess I want to talk to him again. Just try to get stuff out there without all that defensive shit we seem to love."



Willow and Tara tried, they really did, to hide their delight, but they failed miserably as they pulled Buffy into a tight group hug that made oxygen an issue.



"Umm.. guys, I can't talk to him if I can't breathe."



***



Spike spent the rest of the day trying to forget about the monumental mistake he'd made in the morning. He wasn't really succeeding, partially due the fact that he kept reliving the incident in his mind over and over. He heard a knock at his door and when he turned to see who it was he nearly fell over himself trying to get to her.



"Oh, Buffy, come in, please, let me explain, I was a total jackass, I didn't mean it, I mean, I meant what I said last night, but I didn't mean it this morning, I mean I meant it this morning, just not what I said this morning... Umm, did you catch any of that?"



Buffy put her hands on his shoulders and pushed him onto his bed. "Just be quiet and let me talk ok. You probably shouldn't be spending a lot of time on your feet today anyway, Spike, they need to heal."



He sat in shock and when she took his hand and sat next to him he figured he must be hallucinating. "Listen, I know what you were doing this morning, and I get it, even if that doesn't make it ok, it makes it something we can work through." She took a deep breath and looked into his eyes, she could see his barely contained hope and it made her even more sure that she was doing the right thing.



"I'm not positive I know what I want from us, but-"



"Spike!" The couple looked over to see a hysterical Anya in tears throw herself through Spike's door and into his arms.



"Whoa, pet, what's wrong?"



"Xander, he, we, it was so stupid, Spike!" Spike looked apologetically at Buffy and she squeezed his hand before letting it go.



"Anya, luv, let me talk to Buffy for a minute, and then we can talk alright?"



Anya nodded and crawled into Spike's bed, burying her face in his pillows. Spike took Buffy's hand again gently and pulled her up. She followed him into the hall and he shut the door. "I don't want to stop this, but, she's so upset and-"



"Spike, no, it's ok." Buffy put a hand on his cheek and leaned into it closing his eyes. "We'll talk tomorrow, ok? Anya needs you." Just, please, Spike, prove to me you understand, just don't sleep with her.



Spike opened his eyes and looked deeply into Buffy's. "Buffy, luv, I was serious, last night, when I said I would change. I'm starting tonight."



Buffy let out a relieved sigh and leaned her head against his chest and he wrapped his arms around her thanking whatever God was out there for giving him another chance with this angel. "Thank-you for understanding," she whispered into his shirt.



He rubbed her back and placed small, light kisses in her hair. "Just know I'll make all this up to you, kitten, make up for all the wrong steps I've made so far." He dipped his head and nuzzled her cheek. "I want to make you happy, Buffy, want to make you so happy."



She didn't want to kiss him yet, ok, she really, really did, but she didn't think he deserved that until after they had settled everything. Again, without words he seemed to understand and was content with just rubbing his cheek against hers and reassuring himself that she was there and that she was giving him a chance. They held each other tightly for a few moments longer and he pressed his lips to her shoulder before pulling back a bit with his arms still around her.



"She might stay here tonight," Buffy tensed and he quickly clarified, "but just to sleep. I told you I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize this, and I won't."



Buffy pulled his head down and kissed his cheek softly. "I know," she whispered into his ear before letting him go and walking into her room.



Spike stood for a moment grinning like an idiot before he opened the door to his room. Anya was running back to the bed and he shook his head.



"So, I guess that means no make Xander jealous sex tonight."



"Were you listening at the bloody door, then?"



Anya looked at him with one eyebrow raised and an expression that asked if he knew who he was talking to. "Right."



"Well, I have to get my love vicariously now."



"Oh please, you know this is just a silly spat, you two will be back humping like rabbits tomorrow."



Spike came to the bed and sat next to her. "Even so, can I still stay here, I hate sleeping alone, especially when he's practically invaded my room with his crap."



Spike smirked and got under the covers with her putting his arm around her and pulling her to him. "C'mon, luv, let's get some sleep so we can wake up bright and early and do some groveling."



Anya closed her eyes and relaxed. Suddenly she sat up abruptly. "Grovelling? We?"



 


Tell Me, Momma by lucky021

A/N: This is a really short one, but I had to split the chapters in two because if I didn't this chapter would be unbearably long and I would get lazy midway and then my story would suck, so though it doesn't seem like it, I'm doing y'all a favor. Look for the whole story (or is it?) of Spike's past tomorrow. I'm too pumped to write this to put it off. Oh, and please keep reviewing, it makes things come even faster if that's possible.



"0l' black Bascom, don't break no mirrors
Cold black water dog, make no tears
You say you love me with what may be love
Don't you remember makin' baby love?
Got your steam drill built and you're lookin' for some kid
To get it to work for you like your nine-pound hammer did
But I know that you know that I know that you show
Something is tearing up your mind.
Tell me, momma,
Tell me, momma,
Tell me, momma, what is it?
What's wrong with you this time?"

-Bob Dylan, Tell Me Momma



Spike's face was rubbing against the concrete. Mud and urine and other bodily fluids were stinging him in all of his wounds.



"This is what you're made for boy," he said, pumping into Spike, pushing his face into the ground.



Spike shut his eyes and refused to look at Drusilla and see the disgust there. He was trying to save her, trying to protect her, and now he was going to be fucked until his insides were pulled out.



"Not only are you made for this, it's all you're good for. Can't keep her happy unless you're fucking her brains out, and even then you barely satisfy. People don't love you, Willy. They want your cock, your ass, or your money. You'd do well to remember that."



He felt blood dripping down between his legs and though he couldn't help that, he wouldn't add tears to the disgusting mix on his face.



"Tell me you love this boy, I know you do, little fucking slut, tell me."



Spike managed to turn his head, "fuck you," he slurred spitting at his assailant.



He felt his torso being lifted and then his head slammed into the concrete below, sadly it didn't knock him out. "You stupid fucking whore, you'll do what I fucking tell you or I'll make you watch while I take out my frustrations on that little bitch of yours."



Spike shoved his face into the ground and tried to force back the tears while his dignity was stripped away. "I love it," he whispered before he finally allowed the tears to come.



Spike cried out and shot up in bed. He was covered in a cold sweat and he could taste the salt of his tears. He covered his face in shaky hands and tried to push that memory into the deep recesses of his mind where it was usually kept.



Anya stirred next to him and propped herself up on her elbows. "Spike?"



He didn't answer, he couldn't answer. His whole body was shaking now as memories assailed him.



Whore.Slut.Tease.Cock.Body.Coke.Fuck.Dirty.Fuckher.Filthy.Fuckme.You'reNothing.Rapeyou.Yourfault.Killer.Murderer.YouDidIt.



He tore at his hair trying to stop the barrage of voices in his head.



"Spike?" Anya tried to touch him and he threw himself to the other side of the bed against the wall.



"Don't fucking touch me."



Anya watched him for a moment as his eyes darted about the room. They weren't focused and she knew, after many nights dealing with his nightmare, that he wasn't out of them yet. "Spike... Will, it's Anya. I love you, I'm here and I love you. Come back to us." She scooted closer to him but kept enough distance until his eyes began to clear. "That's it, baby, come on."



He remained trembling but she could see he was trying his hardest to calm down. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry that I'm dirty."



"Will, it's ok, you're home, and you're fine, you're not dirty, you're good."



He still wasn't completely out of it and he hadn't looked at her yet, he was focusing on some point at the end of the bed. "I wanted...I wanted to be clean for you, but I didn't have time. They didn't give me time and it hurts so much, and they're still all over me."



Anya was getting nervous, it usually didn't take this long, and only when he'd been really freaked out did he start talking to people whom only he could see. "William, it's Anya, look at me."



He finally looked over and the second they made eye contact he was out. He immediately slapped his hands over his face and wept. Anya moved next to him and he threw his arms around her and buried his face in her lap.



"Shhh, shh, I'm here, Will, it's ok."



***



Xander found them that way an hour later. "Hey, shouldn't this be the other way around?"



Anya looked up at him and Xander understood immediately what had happened. He set next to Anya and Spike moved to Xander. They moved so that they were laying down together facing each other with Spike's face in the space between Xander's neck and shoulder.



"How long has he been like this?"



Anya looked at the clock next to his bed. "I think, maybe an hour. Xander, it was weird, it took a long time for him to come out of it."



Xander stroked the blonde's back and whispered endearments to him softly. "What was he saying, do you know which one it was?"



Anya shook her head softly. "Well, I think he thought he was talking to Jenny after he woke up, but he wasn't dreaming about her. He told me not to touch him."



Xander closed his eyes and sighed. "I think I know." He kissed Spike softly on the cheek and the shaking lessened a bit.



Anya stood up and started to leave them alone, but Xander's voice stopped her. "Ahn, I'm sorry."



She looked at him and gave him a sad smile. "It was stupid Xander, I'm sorry too. We'll talk later." He nodded and she moved to the door. "Hey, I think he's trying to work things out with Buffy. He wouldn't even help me make you irrationally jealous."



Xander smiled at his girlfriend. "Maybe he was just thinking he wanted to be a good friend to me."



"And turn down this? Fat chance, beady eyes." Anya winked and closed the door behind her.



Xander turned his attention back to his friend and pulled back a bit so he could face him. "Will? You wanna talk yet?"



Spike wiped his face and nodded slowly. "It was about him," he said softly, his voice raspy.



"I figured. Just the usual?" he asked, stroking Spike's cheek.



Spike nodded and moved back into Xander's embrace. "The worst time." Xander felt more tears hit his neck. "It was the first, and it hurt so bloody much."



"I know, Will, I know. What about Jenny?"



"When I... When I went to see her," he swallowed. "After everything, and I was late because they kept me, and I was so dirty."



"Sshh, I remember, Will." Xander remembered everything all too well. All the times Spike couldn't hide the bruises and cuts, all the times he was late because he'd been out with Dru and he'd come home flying high even with the shit beaten out of him to the point where he could barely walk. And the first time they'd been intimate after everything and Xander witnessed first hand the way they'd tortured him.



After a lot of comforting touches and chaste kisses, Spike and Xander sat up and with one last kiss Xander stroked Spike's hair and walked out. Spike sat there for a few minutes trying to get his senses in order and remember what was so important about today.



"Buffy."



***



Buffy heard the knock on her door and turned to see a bedraggled Spike leaning against the door and trying to keep the injured parts of his feet from rubbing on the carpet. "Spike, come sit down, we should get you a wheelchair or something." When he didn't react to her she realized his appearance was due to something more than Anya keeping him up talking about Xander all night.



"What's wrong?"



"Me." He didn't look up, just kept staring at his hands which were clenched so tightly together that his knuckles were white.



"What do you mean, you? What happened, Spike?" He didn't say anything just twisted his hands and occasionally ran his hands through his already tousled hair. "Please talk to me."



"You just don't know what you're getting into, Buffy, and I'm tired of hurting you."



"No, no, no, no. You're not doing this, Spike. I'm not going to let guilt about your past fuck up what we could have now. You think if I find out that you have issues that I'll run away. Here's something to think about, I know you have issues, that's why we called everything off in the first place. But I know about them now, and I'm not running, so don't you do it either."



She took his hand and kissed it softly and she felt some of the tension drain out of his body. "There's just so much that still effects me. I panic when I remember too much and I can't even bloody remember where I am."



"You're not the only person that's ever happened to. A lot of people have trouble with remembering things that are painful. You've been through a lot, I wouldn't expect anything less than that." She put a hand to his cheek and he sighed softly. "I want to know Spike, and I promise I'll be here when it's all over. I wouldn't ask you to go through that if I wasn't ready to stay."



He turned to her and leaned his head against hers. "I know... I know I'm asking a lot, but will you kiss me Buffy? Please, will you just kiss me?"



Buffy couldn't turn down his plea after she heard the pain and doubt in his voice. "I can do that, Spike."



She turned and pressed her lips softly to his. There was nothing more to this kiss than comfort and security and she could momentarily understand what he saw in his arrangement with Xander and Anya. Their tongue's touched hesitantly and when she moaned softly he pulled back. He leaned his head back against hers and then pressed a small chaste kiss on her lips.



"I have a lot to tell you pet, and I don't think any of it is remotely pleasant," he whispered against her lips, desperate for the contact.



Buffy's head was spinning, she didn't understand how he could create such intimate moments with simple touches, but right now she felt as if there was no outside world for them, just she and Spike and whatever demons that lay between them.



She pulled back and a bit and when he looked confused and not a little scared at her actions she tugged on his sleeve until he was laying down with her on the bed, their heads next to each other, their lips only a few centimeters apart. She wrapped her arms around his waist and his legs tangled with hers. He reached down and pulled her comforter around them.



"I've got all night, and I can't think of a better way to spend it."



 

I'll Keep It With Mine by lucky021

A/N: This is a pretty dark chapter, so there's your warning. Hope this doesn't scare anyone off, it should get much lighter after this, with occasional dips into darkness, but this is the only time it will be so concentrated. Thanks for all the reviews, and this chapter is the one I'm most interested in people's opinions. Please let me know what you thought even if you hated it. Thanks!



"You will search, babe,
At any cost.
But how long, babe,
Can you search for what's not lost?
Ev'rybody will help you,
Some people are very kind.
But if I can save you any time,
Come on, give it to me,
I'll keep it with mine."


-Bob Dylan, I'll Keep It With Mine



After Buffy's words they lay together silently for a few moments, just savoring the closeness. Finally Spike took a deep breath and spoke. "I'm not sure where to start."



"Tara and Willow told me a lot about what happened with you three." She noticed Spike flinch slightly at the mention of it, apparently Tara wasn't the only one it still effected deeply. "What were you doing those days before they found you?"



He'd been driving for what seemed like days, but when he looked at the clock on the dash he saw that it had only been hours. Tears still streamed down his face and he swiped at them furiously trying to stop the constant flow. How the hell could she have done that to him? Either of them? He should have known that it was all a lie, she probably just wanted a beard so that she could have his sister without any pesky disapproval.



He wanted to scream at them, he wanted to drive his car off of a cliff, he wanted to just not be anymore. If he had any idea where he could get something stronger than liquor or pot he would. He wanted something that would change him entirely, make him into a new stronger person, even if it was just for a little bit. He wanted to forget what her skin tasted like, the sounds she made when she was writhing him under him, driving him wild, the softness of her lips, most of all he wanted to forget the way she made him feel when she told him how much she loved him.



She had fucking lied to him. Lied to him about the one thing that could break him faster than anything. She loved Willow. Willow.Willow.LovedWillow.FuckingLovedWillow.LovedFuckingWillow.



Didn't love him.



He slammed his hands against the wheel and cried out. He hadn't been aware that he could make the noises he'd been letting out all afternoon. They sounded like death, like betrayal, like an end to everything.



And they were. He wasn't ever going to be the same. He wanted to hate them so badly that he felt the need burning in his chest, but it was impossible. He loved them both so much that he couldn't think. He told them he wanted them happy, it was true, he needed them to be happy, he just wished he could enjoy some of that happiness.



He pulled into a diner parking lot and walked to the pay phone outside of it.



"It's me...No I'm not sure where I am....I need to see you, I need you...The chapel."



He hung up and returned to his car. An hour later he was at the chapel, he hid his car behind some trees and pulled out the bag full of bottles of bourbon he'd picked up.



"Will?"



He spun around fast and saw Xander standing in the doorway to the small building. They stood staring at each other for a few minutes, comfort and love passing wordlessly between them. Xander made the first move and before either one knew it they were in each other's arms. William had finally stopped crying by the time he made it out of his car, but the sobs began anew once Xander touched him.



The brunette bent to pick up the bag while still holding his friend with one arm around his waist. They walked into the chapel and lay on the blankets Xander had brought with him. William sobbed out the story softly while Xander continued to wipe away his tears.



"She never loved me, I love her so much, and she never loved me."



"Shh, Will, yes she does, I know she does."



William pulled away sharply and covered his face with his hands. "If she loved me, why the bloody hell was she fucking my sister?!"



Xander put a hand on his back. "I don't know. It is possible to love two people at once, you know that."



"Right, are you trying to tell me that's what's happening here? You love me and Anya. Fuck that. You were lonely and my ass was almost as good as her pussy."



Xander sat stunned for a moment then stood up. He knew that his friend was out of his mind with grief but it didn't matter. He tried to make it clear to William that he loved him, and he was sick of it being thrown back in his face. He started to walk away and he got to the door before William's voice stopped him.



"I'm sorry! Xander, please don't leave me."



He was back in a flash and they fell onto the blankets together. This time it wasn't soft and loving as every time before, this was hard and violent and born of the loss and sadness and pain that William didn't ever think he'd get over. When they were both naked and he turned onto his stomach Xander stopped him.



"We don't have-"



"Just do it. I have to feel something else."



Xander kissed him lingeringly on the back of his neck and tried to be as gentle as he could. William didn't make a sound for a long time until he started whispering something Xander couldn't hear. He leaned down to listen.



"I lost her. I lost her. I lost her."



Xander's tears fell to mingle with Williams as they strove toward completion.



"Xander left after that. I didn't want to see anyone. Tara found me later and I don't really remember much between Xander and her. Just a lot of alcohol."



Buffy stroked his hair and kissed his cheek where a tear had fallen. He sighed and tried for a smile. "Ready for the sad stuff, pet?"



Buffy did smile at that and kissed him softly.



"After that episode, I got a taste for Anya and Xander's brand of sexual healing. Sometimes it was too hard to see anyone together, even them, so I started to look for some new people to hang around. I stayed away from Tara and Willow mostly. I told them I wanted them to be happy, and I did, but I couldn't watch it. Tara and I would talk a lot still, but not in person. She'd write to me or call me, I think she was worried after she found me in the chapel.



"Anyway, I started going to this club just outside Sunnydale. They had a lot of local punk bands that played there, they didn't ID, and most importantly of all, it was nothing like any place I'd ever been before. That's when I bleached my hair, bought my duster, and I started wearing a lot more black. Less tweed anyway."



"Is that where you met Dru?"



"Yeah."



"Oh, William, you gorgeous boy, I'm going to teach you so very much." She grabbed his hand and led him to the back of the club, pulling him into a booth.



"So, umm, pet, what's your name, then?"



She looked at him and smiled brightly, if a little wickedly. "It's Drusilla, luv, call me Dru."



"Dru," he whispered, he was already amazed by this woman, her confidence, her dark beauty, the way her hand was running up his thigh while she fiddle with her purse and looked as if nothing was happening at all. The closer her hand came to his crotch, the harder his cock got. He tried to think of something else, he didn't want to embarrass himself, but she was rubbing circles on his inner thigh and licking her lips in a way that made his mouth water.



"Here, luv, let me give you a present." She looked over at him and moved slowly so that she was whispering in his ear. "Would you like that, William?"



Her hand finally brushed his cock and he let out a shuddering breath. "Oh, yes, pet, God, yes."



She set out a line of cocaine on the table and cut it with her ID. Her hand had moved back to his thigh, but his excitement hadn't waned. He was a little nervous about the drugs, but he was ready, this is what he had wanted since he started coming to this place. A new life, one about danger and women and not Tara.



He wasn't exactly positive about what she expected him to do. She asked him if he'd done it before and he assured he that yeah, of course he had, but he knew she didn't believe him. She pushed his head gently to the table and started to stroke him through his pants with more force. He forced down a moan and closed one nostril as he breathed in. It hit him fast and not hard enough to be uncomfortable, but enough to give him a mighty head rush.



He sat back and smiled moving his arm to her back as she kissed his neck and rubbed his now almost painfully hard cock. He moaned now that he was able to and she licked the underside of his jaw. "One more, William, use the other side."



He bent down and quickly finished as Dru freed him from his pants. "Shall I let you come, sweet William?"



He kissed her harshly and brought her other hand to his dick as well. "Yes, Dru, yes, please."



She grabbed a napkin off of their table and started to stroke him in earnest while she bit and sucked at his neck. He moved one hand to her breast and the other slid up under her skirt. "Oh, yes, you naughty boy."



He felt his balls tighten and he cried out as she brushed her thumb over the head and he came into her hands. She cleaned him off and kissed him again. "Come on, pet, let's have some real fun."



"After that, we were damn near inseparable. I stopped talking to everyone, even Xander and Tara. The more they told me they were worried, the more pissed off I got. What I had with Tara was pure, what I had with Dru was dark and vengeful. She wanted me to do things to her..." He stopped and looked away. "Don't think you want to hear anymore, pet."



Buffy turned his face back to hers. "If you need to tell me to move on, I need to hear it."



"It wasn't the coke that I had a problem with, that was just an appetizer."



"These are very special pills, William. I want you to take them, and we'll have a wonderful night."



"Tie it off like this, here's the needle, luv. Oh, you're going to feel so good, Spike, so good after this."



"Take this, and then you can fuck me until we pass out, does that sound good, my sweet, lovely Spike?"



"What all have you done?"



"Think the question you mean is what haven't I done."



"Oh."



"Yeah. Want me to go on?"



"Yes." She kissed him softly and pulled him closer. "I want to know it all."



"Dru liked me rough and bad, she wanted to see me when I was most angry, got her excited, and wet as hell."



"Do you want me to fucking hit you, Dru? I'll do it if you don't shut the bloody hell up about her."



Dru just laughed and pulled him closer whispering in his ear. "Did she let you fuck her like I do? Did she suck you off while others watched? Did she like it when you came in her face?"



"I said to shut the fuck up!" He threw her down and straddled her. "Is this what you want, pet?" he asked cupping his dick that was rapidly hardening. He knew she was trying to get him mad so that he would take it out on her pussy. The shame that it made him hard to hear her beg and cry wasn't enough to stop it.



"There you are, Spike," she said grinning as she rubbed herself against him.



He flipped her over and ripped her dress down the back. Without warning he shoved himself inside her and started to thrust. "Want me to stop, pet, I know it's hurting you."



"I like it, I want you to hurt me, because you like to do it, you like to feel me bed under you."



He didn't deny it, just fucked her harder. "You naughty, naughty, boy, you want it to be her, that's why you won't look at me." She loved taunting him about Tara when he fucked her, it made him angrier which made her hotter.



"You stupid bitch, I fucking hate you." He grabbed her hair and pulled her up so that he could whisper in her ear. "Do you hear me, I hate you."



She just laughed and pulled away from him, tackling him until he was below her and then impaling herself on his cock. "No, dear boy, you love me, and you hate yourself for it." She brought his hands to the headboard and chained them there. "You must want punishment if you give in so easily."



He just looked away and closed his eyes. "You're nothing but mine, William." She slapped his face and forced him to look at her. "Do you understand, nothing if I'm not there, no one loves you but me. You don't even love yourself." She twisted a certain way that made him cry out in ecstasy. "No one can do this to you but me. You wish you could leave but you can't, and no one make you come the way I do. Do you want to come, William?"



He nodded and tried to thrust into her but she held him down. "No, no, there's only one thing to do." She leaned down and whispered in his ear. "I'm the only one who's ever wanted more than your cock, and I'm the only one who ever will, isn't that true?"



He turned his head and tried to hold back the tears. She always hit him with the truth when it hurt the most. He heard her pull back her hand and he opened his eyes to see it coming. She slapped him hard and he jerked helplessly beneath her, coming harder than he had since he fucked her in the alley.



Spike didn't wait for her to react to what he'd revealed about his sexual practices. He'd gotten off on pain, both giving and receiving, fucking her in front of others and most of all on hearing her humiliate him. He'd always felt sick after coming from that, after the orgasm there was nothing to dull the pain of loneliness and rejection. She had him under her thumb to the point where even when they participated in group sex, she had to be touching him if he wanted to come.



"She could make me do anything, and I did everything for her." He took a deep breath and looked away. "Eventually we ran out of money, but we were both up to a few hundred dollar a day habit, and there was no way we could hold down real jobs. We made a bargain with a dealer of ours."



"So, you two are finally that desperate. Have to say, I saw it comin' a mile away." The man sat down in his chair across from them and grinned. "Well, don't just sit there, take off your clothes, boy."



Spike looked over at Dru and she kissed him softly before she moved out of the way. No matter how much shit they gave each other in the bedroom, she always supported him in front of others. No one outside could see anything too twisted about them, just a deep and loyal love.



He swallowed hard and thought of Dru and what they would be getting as he slowly removed all of his clothes and sat on the floor with his legs spread. He closed his eyes and grasped his soft cock, trying to think of Dru to get himself hard enough that this would all be over quickly. It took him a while to get over his nervousness and start to feel himself begin to near orgasm. He had been silent the whole time. The only sounds were those of the heavy breathing of the man across from him.



"Open your eyes, boy, look at me and make some fucking noise."



Spike looked up and saw the man stroking himself. He hated the whole situation, but looking at it made him even sicker. He tried to keep his hard on and look at the man at the same time, it was pretty difficult. Whenever he got a chance he would glace at Dru and seeing her made everything easier for a few seconds. Finally, he felt his balls start to tighten.



"Where... where do you want me... to um..."



"Come closer boy." The man lifted his shirt and indicated his stomach. Spike stroked himself quickly a few times and began to come, just as he started he was pulled down hard and felt the warm semen spurt all over his face. He had to put all of his will into not pulling away or he knew the whole deal would be off even if this wasn't part of it to begin with.



He heard Dru gasp softly in the background and he knew she wasn't happy. Finally the man let him go and pressed a package into his hand. "Next time I might need something better. Be ready to pay up or don't bother coming back."



Spike refused to look up from his feet as he wiped his face with his shirt and put on his jeans and boots. He ran out to the car with Drusilla close behind him. He leaned his head against the wheel and let out the tears that had been building since he walked into the apartment. Dru sat next to him silently looking out the window. He moved to hold her but she pulled away.



"Dru? Baby?"



"I can't, Spike."



"What?"



"Not after that, I need time before I can look at you."



He couldn't believe his ears. She had fucking suggested it, he'd wanted to find another way and she was the one who'd convinced him. "I fucking did this for you, Dru! For us, how the fuck can you do this to me?"



"He's all over you, you reek of him, and I can't bear it. You're all dirty, Spike."



"I ran to Xander's and he took care of me for a while. Dru showed up later and apologized. She said it had just scared her. I didn't tell them what I'd been doing, I thought only Dru could understand, and she used it against me in bed, and it killed me every time that it got me hot."



Buffy was a little shocked, she didn't think things had gotten that out of control, but she didn't really think less of him. She'd had friends who did worse things for the same reasons. He hadn't killed anyone at least.


"So what made you stop it all?'



"The next time he wanted to watch Dru and I... And then he wanted to see her hurt after that... And then he just wanted me."



Buffy hugged him closer, she could feel him start to shudder. "What did he do to you?"



Spike looked more uncomfortable than she'd ever seen him. "He...I'm sure you can imagine."



"Did he ever hurt you?"



Spike instinctively scratched his eyebrow and she traced his scar. "This?"



"He slammed my face into the ground once when I was disobedient."



"Disobedient, Spike do you even hear yourself tell me all this?" He just looked up confused and she sighed. "You know that none of this was your fault?"



"Buffy, I asked for everything I got, this isn't "Good Will Hunting", you can't just tell me that. I wasn't abused as a child. I fucked for drugs and I was good at it, all I was ever good for then."



"Spike, you must know somewhere that that isn't true. You didn't deserve to be taken advantage of because you had a problem. He used all of that against you and Drusilla to get what he wanted. What was this so-called act of disobedience?"



"I wouldn't tell him the truth?"



"What do you mean?"



"He wanted me to admit that I liked it and I wouldn't."



Buffy stared at him for a moment and when he closed his eyes to avoid hers she saw the tears he'd been holding back. "Spike, he was basically raping you. You didn't like it."



He sat up angrily and got out of the bed. "What the fuck do you know? When Dru used to tie me up and beat the shit out of me, I came just from her telling me I liked it. When he used to fuck me til I bled, I loved it, I fucking loved it all! You want me to be the victim here, I wasn't. I was a willing participant and I loved every blood soaked minute of it. I'm a sick fuck and you'd do well to forget about me!"



He hobbled to the door and Buffy caught him and pushed him back onto the bed. "Stop with all this defensive bullshit. I know you've never told anyone about what happened to you. I know you want people to think you're so fucking tough that you can even get off when someone's cutting into your dick," she missed his flinch and continued, "I'm not stupid, Spike, and I'm not forgetting about you. Just because he made you say it doesn't mean you meant it. He was full of shit and so are you right now."



Buffy softened her tone and held his face between her hands. "Drusilla made you think you were nothing, and he took advantage of that and raped you, both of them did in a way. They took away your free will and hurt you in every way they could. No one deserves that, and you most of all."



She pulled him against her and he was silent while tears rolled down his face. "I want to believe it Buffy, but if I do it means that I wasn't strong enough to stop it. I was so weak, and I still am, and I hate it so much."



"Shh... There wasn't much you could have done. Just know it now, Spike. Understand that you can heal. I'll help you to do it, I promise I'm not going to hurt you like that."



"Buffy, I do love you, I really do."



"I know, baby, I know." She pulled them back into their previous positions and they held on tight. "You need to rest now, just rest Spike." She kissed him lightly and he let her rest his head on her breast while she stroked his hair. "We'll start everything over. Do you feel any better?"



"I'm starting to. Please don't tell Tara, I couldn't bear it if she knew."



"I won't tell anyone, I promise." They were silent for a moment and he stilled. "Goodnight, Spike."



"'Night, luv. Thank you for staying."



"Always."



I can't help it
If you might think I'm odd,
If I say I'm not loving you for what you are
But for what you're not.
Everybody will help you
Discover what you set out to find.
But if I can save you any time,
Come on, give it to me,
I'll keep it with mine.



 




On a Night Like This by lucky021

A/N: Semi-short but super smutty/fluffy chapter to make up for the uber-angst that was chapter 11. Hope you enjoy, there’s quite a bit more to happen, so don’t get too comfortable. And just because Spike and Buffy are together, I won’t be abandoning the other characters, I think these two just needed some alone time. Thanks so much for all the reviews, keep ‘em comin’!



“On a night like this
So glad you've come to stay
Hold on to me, pretty miss
Say you'll never go away to stray.
Run your fingers down my spine
Bring me a touch of bliss
It sure feels right
On a night like this.”


-Bob Dylan, On a Night Like This



Spike had been slowly coming awake for almost an hour. He felt Buffy cuddled up next to him and he couldn't bring himself to come fully aware. He watched her with lazy eyes as she slowly came awake next to him. She smiled slowly when they made eye contact and snuggled deeper into his arms.



"Morning," she whispered into his ear causing his half erect cock to swell.



"Morning, luv." He placed a few soft kisses on her neck and breathed in her scent. "Thank you."



Buffy smiled into the curve of his neck. "Do you feel better this morning?"



"I don't think I've ever gotten through the night without it coming up. I've never felt better in the morning."



They were silent after that, just shifting little by little to make themselves more comfortable or to try at a subtle rub to ease their growing arousal. They swept their lips over necks and cheeks and shoulders, but they never met.



They had been lying side by side but as time went on Spike had maneuvered his way on top of her. It was lazy and slow and inarguably the most satisfying snog Spike had ever had the pleasure of. They were both caught somewhere between sleep and waking and the dreaminess of the whole situation made it so easy for them to keep themselves right on the brink without it being unbearably frustrating.



Finally, Spike broke. "May I kiss you, Buffy?" he asked, his lips whispering against her cheek.



She smiled slowly and captured his bottom lip in her teeth. He moaned lightly and she echoed when he ground himself between her legs. Their lips played against each other without parting for what, to them, seemed like hours. Finally Buffy's tongue swept out to taste him and he opened his mouth to give her access as his own tongue came out to play. They deepened the kiss without quickening the pace. They panted and moaned softly, their bodies undulating slowly.



"Oh, Buffy, you feel so good, and I want you so much..." His voice caught as she reached between them and grasped his swollen cock.



"Yes, Spike, I want you too." She stroked him slowly and rubbed herself against his thigh until his hand reached into her pants and made her cry out.



"So wet, so hot... Do you feel how hard I am, baby? It's all for you, just thinking 'bout you, luv, makes me so bloody hard." His fingers circled her clit as he brought his other hand up to squeeze her breast lightly. He thrust into her hand and kissed her deeply, trying to convey how deeply he felt. "You make me feel so good."



Buffy pushed him lightly onto his back and straddled him then tugged on his shirt until he lifted his arms so that she could take it off. He brought his hands to her thighs and rubbed up and down stopping to grip her ass and pull her to him on the way down. She ran her hands slowly and up and down his chest brushing over his nipples, when he gasped softly at that she smiled wickedly and bent down. Her tongue darted out to flick lightly at them and he hissed sharply pushing his cock harder against her. She bit down softly and sucked reveling in his writhing and moaning beneath her.



"Buffy, Buffy wait... I want.. I want..."



She moved from his nipples and licked the underside of his jaw. "Yes?"



"I need to stop."



That was probably the very last thing she thought he was going to say. She pulled up and looked him in the eyes. "I mean... I mean, we should wait. I want to wait."



Buffy cursed herself for starting anything after all he'd told her last night. He'd used sex for comfort, punishment, hiding, and money. She should have known that it would be a mistake to start a sexual relationship while he wasn't sure how to have a healthy one. She moved to get off of him but he held her down.



"Wait, we don't have to stop entirely. Just, nipples are kind of sensitive."



She couldn't help but giggle at his strained expression. She knew he was trying desperately to restrain himself. He glared and she leaned down to kiss the look off his face. "Looks like you're a little sensitive all over, huh?"



He leaned up and kissed her again, cupping her face in his hands. "I love you, Buffy."



She didn't say anything, just kissed him back and started to explore his body. She wasn't sure why she was so hesitant to admit it to him, but there was something holding her back. She didn't want to hurt him, but she couldn't say something like that to him unless she was absolutely certain, that would be worse in the end.



She motioned for him to lay back and relax as she moved from his lips to kiss the top of his head working her way down. She kissed around his nipples and he moaned every time she got anywhere close, groaning in disappointment when she skipped them. She licked down his stomach and spent a lot of time at his navel due to the increase in his breathing and the volume of his moans. She looked into his eyes and she kissed the seriously prominent bulge in his pants softly.



"Ooohhh, pet, I'll make a mess if you don't stop looking at me like that." She grinned and moved to his legs. She finally reached his feet and almost laughed at his yelp that turned quickly into an impassioned groan when she took a toe in her mouth.



She moved back up and pulled his side so that he would roll over. When she gasped softly he sat up abruptly and tried to find his shirt and pull it over his head. "Sorry, sorry, I should go..." He let out a shaky breath and pulled away from her totally. "I'm sorry about that, didn't want you to see. I need to go."



"Spike wait." He looked back at her and she cursed her reaction to the scars. "Come back her and take that off. I'm sorry, I was just surprised." His eyes were vulnerable and sad and she kissed him softly trying to reassure him as she slowly pulled his shirt back up. "Lay down, baby."



She straddled his thighs and leaned down to examine his back more closely. Thin white lines crisscrossed his entire back with on jagged and thick scar dipping below the waistband of his pants. She was amazed that she had missed them before, but she realized she'd only seen him twice briefly without a shirt and once was dark. When she bent down and began to trace them with her lips Spike sighed.



"Buffy....Buffy you're so beautiful."



She grinned against his skin. "You aren't even looking at me?" she whispered softly.



He shook his head. "Don't have to, luv. You surround me."



She continued her trek across his back and she felt all the tension drain out of his body, and in turn, hers. "Why do you trust me so much?"



He was silent for a moment. "You know why, Buffy." He wasn't about to tell her again. Twice he'd been rejected, and though he didn't blame her, it did upset him a little that he'd been baring his soul to her since the moment he met her and she couldn't even acknowledge it. He understood that it might not be possible for her to care that deeply for him after everything he'd told her and everything he'd done, but at least she wouldn't leave him, and he wouldn't have to share her with anyone.



After his words, they didn't speak again. She traced every scar on his back and when he turned over, she could see the wonder in his eyes. He kissed her like he was pouring his entire being into her and then rested his head against hers.



"Go out with me tonight?"



"Of course."



"At eight?"



"Sounds perfect."



He kissed her soundly again, grinned and was gone. Buffy flopped back onto her bed and couldn't help the smile that spread across her face.



***



As soon as Anya announced her spotting of a grinning Spike leaving Buffy's room shirtless that morning, the questions hadn't stopped. Both refused to give any details and though Tara, Willow and Xander were all curious, Anya was the most upset about their tight lips.



By the time eight o'clock rolled around Anya was the only one still trying to get some information. Spike and Buffy just smiled at each other and walked out to his new car, slamming the door in her frustrated face.



"Have a good day, luv?"



Buffy gave him a soft kiss when he opened the door for her. "Kind of anxious, but I had a great morning to help me get through."



Spike smirked proudly and got in the other side. His smile brightened when she moved next to him in the bench seat. He put his arm around her and pulled out.



***



The evening had been perfect. They'd been able to have entirely angst free conversation all night. Buffy had been a little nervous that they had only the strange and strong sexual attraction and the drama between them, but her date with Spike had proved that they could make each other laugh just as much, if not more, than make each other cry.



They walked to the door to his room and stood a little awkwardly. They had both agreed that starting something serious sexually would lead to nothing but badness, but they hadn't decided on what exactly "seriously sexual" was. Could they just kiss? Were they going to worry about which base they were rounding? It seemed so unbelievably high schoolish that she doubted the whole thing many times during the night. Of course her doubts could have also stemmed from a serious uncomfortable wetness in her panties from being in close proximity with him all night. She knew he felt the same way, at least if the bulge in the front of his jeans was any indication.



They were currently plastered to each other in the hallway trying to pry themselves away but unable to. Finally Spike pulled back a bit and faced her with his head leaning against hers.



"Think we should talk about some rules or something?"



Buffy nodded vigorously and he pulled her into his room. Immediately upon entrance he had her pushed up against the door with his leg between hers and she riding his thigh like there was no tomorrow. His hardness pushed against her hip and he groaned as she rolled her hips.



"Weren't we supposed to talk?"



Buffy nodded again and tried to catch her breath as his hands played with her nipples in a way that made breathing almost impossible. "Yeah... maybe...maybe we should move apart."



Spike nodded but didn't stop rubbing against her. "On the count of three." He pulled her against his cock hard and she moaned as her clit came into exquisite contact with his thigh.



"One....Two....Three."



Spike wrenched himself away from her and forced himself into his desk chair. Buffy caught her breath and moved to the bed. She saw him start to adjust himself so that he wouldn't be in too much pain and she looked away. Just the sight of him panting and hard made her desperate to jump him.



"Ok... So we should set some boundaries."



"Yeah, boundaries. Boundaries are of the good."



They were silent for a moment and Spike sighed. "Oh, for Christ's sake, Buffy. I don't know if I can see you all the time and not just bend you over the bloody kitchen table."



She smiled and looked at him. "Yeah, I am pretty irresistible.”



“Yeah,” he practically growled, and she felt her panties soak completely through.



“Spike, I don’t want to ruin anything because we couldn’t control our hormones.”



He calmed at that and looked down. “I know, I feel like if we go too far too fast I’ll just be using it to keep from really knowing you.”



“So we’re sure there will be no sex having until we’re sure that we’re ready.”



“Right, and I don’t wanna push you too far about anythin’ else either, pet. Just want you to be comfortable.”



“I think we should be worried about getting too comfortable. Spike, don’t think I don’t want something, ‘cause chances are, if you’re involved, I’ll want to be too.”



“Just need to be honest with each other, ‘ey, luv?”



Buffy nodded and Spike moved to sit next to her. “What do you want, baby?” His voice was a soft rumble and it sent vibrations straight to her pussy.



“I’m not sure, can you give me some options?” He grinned devilishly and kissed her hard before laying her back onto his bed.



“Oh, I’ve got options, sweetness.” He swept his tongue from her neck to her jaw and ran his hands under her shirt to cup her breasts. “Can I take this off?”



“Only if you do the same.”



Eventually, they were both naked and though they knew it was a risk, they were willing to take it. Spike mirrored the exploration of his body earlier, only he spent ample time at her nipples. Buffy was panting underneath him as he settled his face between her thighs. “This alright, luv?”



Buffy could only nod as he flicked out his tongue to taste her. “Oh, like sweet ambrosia, baby. Buffy, you’re so bleedin’ beautiful.” He dipped his tongue into her folds and she cried out. His poor neglected cock was purple with need but he ignored it and focused on giving Buffy a real seeing to.



“Spike...Ohhh, you’re so good to me... fuck!”



His fingers joined in to play and he thrust them into her making her arch up to meet them. He could feel how close she was and he stopped and looked up at her. “Look at me, luv, see me doing this to you.” She looked down at him and maintained eye contact as he took her clit into his mouth and sucked hard. She couldn’t keep her eyes open as her orgasm rushed over her. She threw her head back and moaned his name over and over. He coaxed her down with soft words and softer caresses.



“Love you so much,“ he whispered as he placed a final kiss to her pussy.



She pulled his head up and he rested it on her stomach, stroking her lightly. She brushed her fingers through his hair for a moment before she felt his cock prodding her leg. “Oh, Spike, what about you?”



“’S ok, pet, just wanted to make you feel good.”



She sat up and rolled him onto his back. “Don’t be silly, that can’t be comfortable.” She moved between his legs and kissed his stomach. She could see that his hard on had to be painful. She grasped him lightly and rubbed him against her cheeks before licking off the precum that had gathered at the head.



“Fuck, Buffy, please, please, baby, I need you.” He brought his hands to her hair and brushed it away from her face. “Please, Buffy, I’m so bloody close.”



Buffy took pity on him and leaned down to swallow him down as far as she could. He cried out loudly and tried desperately to keep his hips from thrusting into her face. His hands gripped her hair, but he kept his grip light and tried to calm himself. She hollowed her cheeks and sucked up until she only had the head in her mouth. He watched her lips surround him and he wasn’t surprised that the sight had his balls tightening.



“Buffy, so fucking beautiful...bloody gorgeous, luv. I love you so much. Yes, Buffy, yes...Ohh, I’m gonna cum, Buffy!” He tried to pull her back, but she shook her head softly and reached under his balls to stroke his ass. He cried out loud enough for the neighbors to hear and shot load after load into her mouth.



She swallowed him down and allowed him to pull her up for a deep kiss. “You’re bloody amazing, baby. Just amazing.”



She settled onto his chest as he pulled the blankets around them. “You liked it then?”



“Couldn’t you tell?” he asked kissing her temple. She just smiled. “Staying here tonight, then?”



“Is that ok?”



“Better than ok, luv, bloody brilliant idea.”



They stayed silent for a moment just enjoying the afterglow. “Spike, I do want to say-”



“Shh, luv, shh. No need to rush it. Just when you’re ready. I’m sorry, can’t keep it in sometimes.”



She kissed his chest and held him closer. “Do you think I’m a terrible person if I say I like hearing it?”



“No, no, pet. It’s the truth, nothing can change that. I’m not trying to make you feel guilty, I don’t want that.”



“I know, and I know it’s true.” She sighed and drew patterns on his stomach. “Just give me some time.”



“For that, I’ll give you all the time in the bloody world.”

Let's Keep It Between Us by lucky021

A/N: Sorry about the wait, Easter and all that. Not much happens here, but next chapter will have some serious plot points so stay tuned for that. This here's just some Spuffy smut and some Spander flashback angst. God, if someone told me I'd be writing Spander smut a few months ago, I would have laughed at them, now look at me. Anyhow, reviews are much appreciated and make things come much faster. Thanks to all who have already done so.



"Let's keep it between us.
These people meddlin' in our affairs, they're not our friends.
Let's keep it between us
Before doors close and our togetherness comes to an end.
They'll turn you against me and me against you 'til we don't know who to trust.
Oh, darlin', can we keep it between us?

"Let's keep it between us.
We've been through too much tough times that they never shared.
They've had nothing to say to us before,
Now all of a sudden it's as if they've always cared.
All we need is honesty, a little humility and trust.
Oh, darlin', can we keep it between us?"


-Bob Dylan, Let's Keep It Between Us



Buffy awoke to a gentle and talented hand between her legs and a very hard cock prodding her ass. She smiled sleepily and pressed his hand harder to her while grinding herself backward onto him eliciting a groan from both of them.



"Morning, luv," Spike whispered into her ear before kissing it gently. "Sleep well?"



"Mmmm." Buffy couldn't yet form a coherent sentence, what with the impending orgasm and her half awake status.



"I'll take that as a yes," he said pushing a finger inside her. She cried out softly and he moved a second to join the first. "How does that feel, baby?"



Buffy moaned loudly and pushed back on him. "Yes, Spike, more..."



He grinned and rubbed his thumb harder around her clit, not quite touching her in the way she needed it most. "Shall I let you come, kitten?" She nodded frantically and he began the long, hard strokes that he knew would bring her the most intense release. Finally, he couldn't take it anymore and he grabbed her free hand and brought it between them. "Touch me, Buffy," he moaned into her ear, "please touch me!"



She wrapped her hand around his cock and gave him a gentle squeeze before she swiped the generous amount of precum off the head and began to stroke him in the same rhythm he was touching her. "Oh, Spike, you're so hard, I wish you could be inside me."



He groaned and became impossibly harder at her comment, his strokes sped up and she essayed to match his pace. "Me too, baby, nothing I want more." He could tell she was close and he wanted to see what he could get away with. He moved one cum slicked digit back until it rested on the tight bud of her ass. She thrust into his hand and he pushed his finger inside. "You like that, luv?" He pumped all his fingers quickly and he felt his balls begin to tighten as she did the same. "I want to fuck you here, Buffy," he whispered, his voice thick with lust as he twisted his finger in her ass making her cry out. "I want to have my cock so deep in you that we can't tell where exactly we separate. You want that, pet?"



Buffy nodded and reached to fondle his balls and ass, she didn't know how much longer she would last with his dirty talk. "Tell me, baby, let me hear you say it."



"Spike, please, I'm so close."



"Tell me, Buffy, and I'll make you come so bloody hard you'll see stars."



"Yes, Spike," she gasped as he pushed his fingers deeper. "I want your cock in my ass, so far in me that you never leave, but right now I want you to come all over me."



She turned around quickly and humped his hand in earnest as she reached her now free hand around to fuck him just as he was doing her. She cried out first and spasmed around him but she never lost her rhythm and he followed close behind, spurting all over her stomach and breasts as she requested.



They lay together panting for a moment before Spike bent down and began to lick his spendings off of Buffy. She wasn't sure, but she thought maybe that was the hottest thing she'd ever seen. She moaned loudly again and ran her fingers through his hair as he licked and sucked her body until she was clean.



When he finished he looked up at her with desire filled eyes and she kissed him hard, tasting his cum on his tongue. She pulled away and brought his hand to her mouth and licked her own essence away. She felt his cock jump against her thigh as she did so and smiled.



Spike seemed willing to ignore his growing arousal for the moment and he pulled her so that she was facing him with their legs entwined and his arms around her. "I love you so much, Buffy, you're so beautiful, but I don't want to pressure you into anything. I got carried away there, I'm sorry."



At first she wasn't sure what he was talking about, but then she remembered his hot little mouth saying things that used to make her blush. "Spike, I'm not some delicate flower. Everything you said turned me on in a big way."



"Yeah?" he asked grinning shyly.



"Yeah," she said leaning in to kiss him softly and ruffle his already bed damaged hair. "We should probably get up soon, everyone's already sure they know what's going on, and I think between last night and this morning we've given them a hell of a lot of ammo."



He smiled proudly and pulled her against him. "Let 'em talk. I've got you here, nothing else matters."



"Except for homework."



Spike sighed and looked down. "Except for that, I suppose," he said kissing her nose. "Guess you better get back and do that then."



"Maybe, when you get nice and clean and ready for the day you could join me."



"Like the way you think, luv. Think I might get ready in record time today."



She kissed him and stood putting on her clothes from the night before. "Me too," she said before smiling back at him and closing the door.



***



"Did you guys have sex yet? It sure sounded like it."



Buffy had hoped to avoid being accosted by Anya in the hall, but apparently that was too much to ask for.



"No, we're not having sex yet." She grinned to herself at the memory of that morning.



"Yeah, then what's the I just had an orgasm grin about, and what's with the moaning and groaning Xander and I heard over our own last night?"



Buffy's cheeks flushed and Anya pointed an accusing finger at her.



"Did you lie to me just now, you must have, all evidence points to lots of sex, and good sex at that."



"No, we didn't have sex, and I'm not lying. Why would I lie?"



Anya thought for a moment. "Some misguided notion of propriety, a lot of people seem to have that. But it's kind of ridiculous in this house. Especially with the thin walls."



"Ok, now that that's settled, can I go?"



"No, you can't, and nothing was settled."



Buffy opened her mouth to reply but Willow and Tara cut her off. "What's the deal then? Did you get it out of her Anya?"



"She seems to be sticking to no sex, but we all heard that's not entirely true."



Buffy looked for help from the lesbians but they just shook their heads and laughed silently. "Yep, we all heard the 'Oh, Spike!'s and the 'Buffy, I'm gonna cum!'s last night. No need to be modest now."



"God, is everything fair game here? And he's your brother, aren't you a little grossed out?" she asked Willow.



"Well, after so many years hearing the orgasm musketeers go at it right next to my bedroom, I kind of have to accept it. I find that thinking of his much improved emotional state and not his seriously disgusting, no offence to anyone here, physical state, I'm ok."



Buffy silently thanked God that she didn't have to live with Dawn and her sexual partners anymore, she didn't think she could be as open minded about the whole thing as Willow was.



"So, did he give you a poke?"



"Anya!"



"What, it's what's on everyone's mind!"



Buffy sighed and shook her head. "Ok, here's the deal, and this is all you're getting from me so if you're looking for more you'll have to ask Spike. We're not having sex, and we won't be for a while, no matter how hard it is on both of us. We're just not ready for it yet."



"And the moaning?"



"I'm getting there," she said glaring at Anya. "We do however, have to relieve the tension some way, and that's what we were doing last night. Relieving tension, and you can take however much or little you want from that, it's all I'm saying."



Buffy managed to push past Anya and dart into her room slamming the door.



Anya turned to her friends. "Ok, who wants to go find Spike?"



***



Spike rubbed his hair with a towel and tried to get all the excess moisture out. He dropped the one from around his waist just as his door opened.



"Bloody hell, can a man get some buggering privacy here?"



Xander stepped inside. "Sorry, man, just wanted to ask about your date."



Spike smirked and turned to his closet to grab a pair of jeans. "'S ok, mate, thought you'd be Anya asking whether I'd scored yet."



"Well, she should be here soon enough, I told her I thought you'd be out working on the car so I bought us some time."



Spike buttoned his jeans and grabbed a shirt while smiling back at his friend. "Thanks, Xand." He pulled his shirt over his head and sat on his bed.



"I messed things up a bit, but I don't think it's too big a deal." Xander sat next to him and Spike looked over and noticed that he looked a little confused. "I told her that I loved her."



Xander let out a low whistle. "Wow, man, don't beat around the bush do you?"



"Well, shit, Xand. It's the bloody truth innit? Couldn't keep it in with her making me ache every time we're not touching."



"Xander, can I talk to you," William glanced at Willow and then back to his friend, "alone, just for a sec."



Xander looked at William a little strangely but followed him into a room that the school used for photography. William turned and locked the door and then wrapped his arms around Xander kissing him thoroughly.



Xander grinned into the kiss and returned William's fervor. "What are you so happy about?" he asked when they pulled back for air.



William looked at the ground for a moment shyly and Xander put a finger under his chin forcing the other boy to face him. "Just, sometimes... Seeing you all the time, never being able to touch you," William looked away. "Makes me ache sometimes."



Xander smiled and kissed his friend lightly. "I know, Will. It's hard, but they wouldn't understand."



William nodded and Xander thought maybe he was wiping away tears but he wasn't sure. William knew he was acting like a ponce, but it hurt every time he thought about the many layers of wrongness there were in the feelings he had for Xander. "That's not what I needed to say though," he said quickly trying to save some face. "My parents are going out of town, they're taking Willow. I thought... maybe... but if you don't want to come it's ok...I mean, not a big deal.. just-"



"Wouldn't miss it, Will." He kissed him hard once more and walked out. William swallowed hard at the thought of what he had planned and took a deep breath before following.



Xander patted his friends back. "She didn't return it, I guess?"



"Nah, says she's not ready, and really I can't blame her. We met just a month ago and I'm head over my buggering heels. It's driving me crazy and I don't even understand why she means so much to me already. Imagine if I know her for a few years."



Xander was suddenly hit with a memory he'd tried to forget. He remembered that he was part of the reason Spike was so hurt by Buffy's lack of response. At least she hadn't freaked out like he had.



William felt like a right poof. Here he was, running about the house trying to make everything perfect for a friend he'd known since pre-school whom basically had a girlfriend and was probably just involved, however unconventionally, with William for the ass. Or, at least tonight it would be the ass.



William swallowed again and then shook his head trying not to place too much importance on the whole thing. He didn't really know how pleasant the whole thing would be, but he knew it was probably the only way he'd ever lose any form of virginity to anyone and with Xander he at least felt like he was cared for. Girl's seemed to either ignore him or think he was gay, which wasn't too far from the truth. He'd only ever touched or been touched by Xander, and he was pretty sure he loved him, and lately he hadn't been interested in anyone sexually, except for his friend.



It freaked William out beyond the telling of it to think he'd fallen for someone who would probably never return the sentiment and who was a man besides. William tried to push all his confusion aside and prepare for meeting Xander. He was hoping he wasn't too obvious about anything, he knew their arrangement, but he couldn't help but feel like Xander might care more than he did before. Whatever the case, William was pretty sure he wouldn't turn down this offer.



Xander met William at the door and as soon as they were inside he was kissing him like they'd been apart for years.



"Miss me?" William panted into Xander's neck when they broke for air.



Xander just pulled William to him harder and nodded. "Gotta be with you now, Will. Bedroom?"



William nodded and took Xander's hand leading him down the hall. They shut the door and fell onto the bed in a tangled heap. Xander reached down for William's zipper and William covered his hand. "Wait, I thought we could try something new."



Xander looked at him with a bit of confusion but mostly desire at the idea of something fresh to try with William. "What is it?"



He didn't say anything just kissed Xander softly and reached over into his bedside table for the lube he'd bought two weeks before when he was still trying to work up the courage to ask him. He handed it to Xander who stared at the thing in his hand blankly for a minute.



"I thought maybe you'd... I mean, it's fine if..." he noticed Xander's lack of response and tried not to look as disappointed as he felt. "Sorry, I'm so sorry, Xand, it was stupid. Just being stupid, I'm sorry." He grabbed the bottle and turned his back on his friend trying to will his tears not to fall and his hands to stop shaking. He should have known it would be too much. He was sick, he was a fag truly now and Xander just made it perfectly clear that he wasn't.



"Will, wait." William felt Xander's hand on his back and he felt a tear escape. "You want me to... I want to.. I mean, are you sure?"



William wiped his eyes and turned to face Xander. "Yeah... I want you to, but I'm sorry if-"



Xander silenced him with a sweet, deep kiss that had William moaning into his mouth. They fell back onto the bed and Xander helped William out of his clothes before taking his own off and standing next to the bed. The looked at each other awkwardly for a moment, neither knowing exactly what to do before Xander reached for the lube.



"Turn around Will." William was panting from excitement, he didn't think his cock could get any harder, but when Xander gently probed his virgin ass with his fingers William thought he might come right there. He reached a hand up to grip the base of his cock and tried to calm down.



"It might hurt, Will, I'll try to be gentle. Scoot forward, baby."



William groaned softly at the rarely used endearment and moved so that Xander could get comfortable behind him.



"You sure about this?"



"Yeah."



Xander grabbed a pillow and put it in front of William and had him lay down. He lined up the head of his cock with William's ass and pushed in gently.



William wanted to cry out from the pain but he held it in, not wanting Xander to hear him and stop. Xander moved until he was all the way in and waited until William's breathing was regular again before he began to thrust. Eventually, the pain was being slowly replaced with pleasure and William began to move back into Xander's thrusts.



"God, Will, so good, you're so fucking tight!" Xander didn't know how long he could last, William's ass was the tightest thing he'd ever had his dick in and the little moans his lover was emitting were driving him wild. "Fuck, Will, you ok?"



William nodded and gasped. The pain was only a memory now, he could feel Xander hitting something inside of him, that with the friction of the pillow on his cock, and he was ready to burst. "Xand... ohh, please, harder."



Xander sped up his movements and grabbed William's hips so that he could get deeper. William's cries got louder with each pass and Xander reached down only to feel William's hand already there. He batted it away and stroked his friend in time with his thrusts.



"Ohh, Xander, fuck me, fuck me, fuck me-"



William's whimpered requests finally drove Xander over. "Sorry, Will, I'm gonna come!"



"Come inside me, pet, please!"



Xander pumped into him as fast and hard as he could. He felt William clench around him and cry out as he came violently on the pillow beneath them. "Oh God, Xander, I love you!"



It was like a bucket of cold water splashed down on him. Xander froze for a moment but William didn't notice as he was too caught up in his own orgasm. The dark haired boy pulled out and stroked himself to completion, cumming on William's sweaty back.



He collapsed next to him in a daze but when William looked at him with confused and slightly hurt eyes and tried to cuddle up next to him he pulled away violently and stood up, pulling on his pants.



"Xand... Xander?" Xander refused to look at him and just tugged his shirt over his head. "Was I... Did I do something wrong?"



When Xander met his eyes and saw the tears threatening to fall there he snapped. "What the fuck do you think this is, Will?!"



William looked down and covered himself with the sheet. "Umm.. I don't... Why are you doing this?"



"Why am I... Why am I doing this?! You think I'm some fucking fag like you, Will? Think I want you to stick your limp little cock in me now? You can fucking forget it! We had a deal, we're just friends, we just fuck around because Anya's not here and you can't get anyone to even look at you!"



William could feel his tears falling steadily now, and he didn't have the will to stop them. He was sick, he was wrong, he'd tried to make something of nothing and now he had no one. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to say it, it just-"



"Save it you fucking queer! You lied to me, said that you understood what was going on! You've been trying more and more to see me as your fucking boyfriend and I'm not, I won't ever be! Pulling me away at school, getting me to fuck you! I feel dirty, just like you must feel every goddamn day! You make me sick, William!"



Xander finished putting on his clothes and walked out without looking back. William sat staring blankly for a moment before he lay down. He felt something cold and sticky on his back and realized what Xander had done. He stood up and pulled off the sheets and threw them into the washing machine before he got into the shower. He leaned against the wall and sobbed until the water ran cold. His ass hurt and he watched some bloody mix with the soapy water and swirl down the drain.



He couldn't face his bed so he laid in the guest bedroom staring at the wall and trying to forget that he was all alone.



Spike looked over at Xander and had a feeling he knew what he was thinking about. "No worries, mate," he said softly.



Xander looked at him and shook his head. "I was just stupid, Will, it wasn't you."



"I know," he said, though the memory still cut him open in a place he tried to keep buried. "She says she wants to say it, so I'm trying not to worry about it too much. If I play my cards right, she'll come round." He tried to put on a confident smile but Xander saw through him.



"If she really deserves you, she'll realize how priceless you are." He leaned over and kissed Spike softly before standing. "I better go, Anya should be here looking for you any second. I suggest you get Buffy and get out."



Spike pulled on his boots and stood. "Good plan, thanks for the help. I'll have my phone if anyone needs anything, but only emergencies. No bloody Spike's sex life questions."



"Gotcha. I'll let everyone know."



Xander smiled at Spike as he walked out the door. Once he was alone he allowed his eyes to shut in an effort to erase his guilt. He had a feeling though, that nothing could undo the damage he'd done to his best friend.



 

Love Sick by lucky021

A/N: Ok, I’ve had the shittiest day from shitville so I hope this chapter doesn’t reflect that too much. I kept dreaming about the aftermath of Spike and Xander’s encounter from last chapter so I just had to wrap some things up and keep a thread open in case I want to explore it more. Let me know which parts you like and which you hate, if everyone is completely bored with the whole Xander/Spike thing I’ll leave it, but if people like it I’ll keep going. Keep the reviews coming, and thanks for all who are doing so!



“Sometimes the silence can be like the thunder
Sometimes I wanna take to the road and plunder
Could you ever be true?
I think of you
And I wonder

I'm sick of love; I wish I'd never met you
I'm sick of love; I'm trying to forget you

Just don't know what to do
I'd give anything to
Be with you”


-Bob Dylan, Love Sick



William lay in bed until four o'clock the next day, an hour before his family would return. He pulled the sheets out of the dryer and put them back onto his bed. He checked the guest room to make sure it didn't appear as if he had been in there and then returned to his own bed to try and sleep his loneliness away.



He'd been hoping since Xander had left the day before that maybe his friend would return and allow him to explain and apologize. He didn't think he could go on without anybody around. He didn't have any other friends, he was treated like a freak in school, and worst of all, he was in love with someone whom he could never have. He didn't even have anyone to tell about his loss. No one but Xander would know what William felt, and Xander would hate him for it for the rest of his life.



William pulled the covers over his head and sobbed into his pillow silently. He didn't want to deal with his family when they returned. His father would think he'd been drinking too much again and was just hungover hopefully, and Jenny might have some pity and bring him some water and aspirin. Willow... He'd forgotten about his little sister.



He felt the blood run from his face as he realized that she would see that something had happened. Xander could quite possibly tell her what William had coerced him into and she would hate him too. He didn't want his sister to know how disgusting he was. She was the only other one who really understood him and loved him anyway.



His father would probably want nothing to do with him when he found out, and Jenny would just ignore him. They'd forget about him and move on, that was probably better for them anyway. He was sick and wrong, and they shouldn't let his sister be around to be corrupted by him.



He heard the door open downstairs and he quickly wiped his tears away and tried to stop the shaking and feign sleep. They called out to him from the kitchen but he kept silent, hoping they wouldn't try to talk to him. The door to his room opened and when he heard Jenny's concerned voice he nearly broke out into tears once more.



"William? Are you alright, honey?"



He cleared his voice and tried to sound normal but his voice was ragged. "Umm... I'm not feeling very well. Must have caught something."



He felt her move to sit on the edge of his bed and lay a hand on his back. "Would you like me to get you anything? Some water or soup... Or maybe you need to see the doctor?"



He shook his head and wiped at his tears. She sounded like she cared so much for him, of all the people right now he thought she might understand and just hold him while he cried, but then he heard his father's voice and he burrowed deeper into the covers.



"William? Son, are you quite alright?"



"I think he's got a cold or something, he doesn't sound very good."



"Son, when did you start feeling this way?"



"Rupert, we don't need the details, just let him rest." Jenny glanced back quickly at her step-son and saw his tear stained face as he peeked out to see them leaving. She knew from the second she heard his voice what he was suffering was far from a cold. "Give me a second with him, you go start unpacking."



"Yes, yes, of course."



Jenny moved back to the bed and ran her hand softly through William's loose curls. "If you ever need to talk, Will, about anything at all... I'm always here, honey."



She felt him nod against her hand and she kissed his hair softly before she left him alone. When she closed the door he forced his face into the pillow to muffle his grief.



Buffy smiled down at William as she stroked his hair while he slept, his head pillowed in her lap. He'd come into her room about an hour after her encounter and tried to convince her to do things not in any way related to studying. She'd compromised and allowed him to rest his head in her lap while she read. She realized that the times she'd found him watching her with half lidded eyes in the middle of the night were not isolated occurrences. He'd been awake all night and now he was unable to stay awake.



His brow furrowed occasionally and he'd been making a few pained noises in the past few minutes and she figured that she hadn't cured all of his sleep issues. She tried to smooth away his worry with her caresses, but he continued to toss and turn lightly in his sleep.



"What's going on in there, Spike?"



"Will?"



Willow stepped inside her brother's room and shut the door. He didn't respond but she could tell he was awake, and more than that, she could tell he was crying.



"Will, what's wrong?" She sat on the edge of his bed and rubbed a hand up and down his back slowly. "Please talk to me."



"Get out, Willow."



The coldness in his voice was nearly impossible to discern from the pain. Her heart went out to him, she had absolutely no idea what had happened to him. There weren't any girls that he liked, so nothing could have happened there, nobody had died, he really only had Xander as a friend so there wasn't any problems-



"Will, it's Xander isn't it." He froze under her touch and she understood then all the little things that hadn't been adding up lately. The brief but intimate touches and looks they shared when they thought no one was looking, the way they'd escape together during school and come back looking a little flushed and disheveled. Most of all, there were the plans she'd heard confirmed on the phone before she left for Xander to come over to stay.



"I get it, Will, and it's ok."



He shot out of bed at that and pointed a shaking finger at her. "You don't know a bloody thing! Whatever you think is going on... it's not, he's not like that, we aren't... I, I don't do that.. think that way."



His voice had been faltering since his first angered assertion, by the end of it all, she could barely hear him. She watched him reach for the bed in a daze and sit heavily on it, his eyes staring blankly at the wall. Willow swallowed and walked over to kneel in front of him.



"Will... Whatever you think... You're not bad for feeling that way, it's not wrong or dirty, or any of those things. You didn't do anything wrong."



He looked into her eyes and she could see all the pain and insecurity there. "Willow, please," he whispered harshly.



"Please what? Please don't forgive you? Please tell you that you're wrong because you don't want to have to deal with it. I won't, I don't believe it, and I know that deep down you don't either. Whatever you feel for another person... it's not wrong to love them." She reached up and hugged him close as he cried into her shirt. All of his guilt and shame being washed away by her words.



She stroked his back and whispered endearments in his ear as he calmed, his sobs taking less out of his body and his shaking was almost gone. She pulled back and wiped at his face. "Besides, Will, I've noticed things for a long time, and it's not like Xander doesn't feel the same way."



She watched his face fall and his eyes fill once more. He grimaced and looked away trying to keep himself under control. "Oh.. Oh God, Will. I'm so sorry! He.. I mean, I saw you two, sometimes, together, and I could tell that he felt something. What happened?"



"I... I told him... Something, that I shouldn't have." He looked up at her and smiled ruefully. "I lost him, Red, bloody well lost my best friend."



Willow was pretty sure she knew what he was alluding to, but his reticence to tell her made her keep her deductions to herself. "Will, I just don't know what to-"



"Will?"



The siblings looked up into the tear filled brown eyes of the boy they both called best friend. "Xand? You came... I mean," he cleared his throat and sat up straight. "What are you doing here?"



He looked pointedly at Willow and then back at William and she stood up. "I'll be in my room if you need anything, ok?"



William nodded but his eyes never left Xander's. Willow wondered for a moment if she should leave them alone or kick Xander's ass but she chose to let William fend for herself and with one last look at the brother, she closed the door.



"I... I don't know what I can say."



William couldn't speak, the lump in his throat made it almost impossible to breathe. Xander took a step forward and when William flinched he covered his face and dropped to his knees. "I'm so so sorry, Will. Fuck, when you said that, I was so fucking scared, so goddamn terrified about what that meant."



They were silent for a moment before William managed to find his voice. "Why?"



"I don't know... I don't want to want you.. I mean, I do want you, I care so much for you, Will, but it's so hard."



William moved so that he was standing next to Xander. He sat down next to him and reached out a tentative hand to touch his hair. Xander grabbed his hand and held it to his face, kissing the palm. "I'm so sorry, so very sorry."



William nodded and pulled Xander to him. They rocked together silently, and William understood that Xander was just as confused as he had been, he'd just handled it differently. "Let me make it up to you."



They stood and kissed softly. Xander took his time exploring William's body and making his gasp softly. They broke apart to make sure the door was locked and then William turned on his television to muffle any sounds. It wasn't terribly romantic, but neither was their relationship. Hiding it from everyone and not really understanding an attraction they'd both been made to feel was dirty wasn't exactly the stuff of love poetry.



When they were both naked Xander pulled William on top of him and brought his legs up. William stared at him and realized what he was offering. "Go ahead, Will."



He sat up and buried his face in his hands. "What... what did I do?"



William looked up and brushed the hair from Xander's eyes. "When you want me... to make love to you... that's when I'll do it. It'll be love Xander, I can't pretend anymore."



Xander sat stunned for a moment and then started to gather his clothes. William closed his eyes as he tried to suppress the sting of rejection, but his heart ached with it. Xander moved to the door and stopped. “Still friends, Will?”



William looked up and nodded softly. “Yeah, mate. Always.”



Xander nodded back and left while William covered himself and covered his face with his hands.



Spike woke with a start and found that Buffy was cooing to him softly, holding him in her arms. He realized that he was nearly hyperventilating and he tried to calm his breathing. After only a few minutes he was able to compose himself and he pulled back.



“Sorry, the dreams... sometimes-”



“Don’t apologize, I have nightmares too.”



He nodded and kissed her softly. “I hate ‘em, make me feel all kinds of strange when I get up.” He tried to work the kinks out of his neck and saw her book. “I interrupted your studying.”



She smiled. “Truth be told, I was looking for an interruption. Found the perfect one right here.”



They kissed softly but soon it was developing into something much more heated. Her book was pushed to the floor as Spike allowed her to unbutton his shirt and push it off of his shoulders. She was just reaching for his belt buckle when his phone rang.



“Oh, bloody buggering fuck!” he cursed under his breath, giving her an apologetic look and reaching for his phone. “Better be a bloody emergency, mate, because if it’s not I swear I’ll-”



Buffy noticed his back stiffen under her hand that was stroking him. She knew it was bad the second she got a look at his face and she pulled his shirt off the floor and helped him put it on. He looked at her when he hung up the phone and she could see now in his eyes just how terrified he was.



“What do you need?”



“Hospital.” He grabbed his keys off the table and she stayed his hand.



“Let me drive Spike, you’re too upset.”



He nodded silently and followed her to the car. The drive was so much like the last time’s that Buffy wondered if she hadn’t traveled back in time to before they’d been together. He pulled out a cigarette, but this time she nodded before he could ask.



They arrived and she held his hand tightly as they walked into the ER. He asked for Willow and Tara and she realized that she hadn’t even known who was in trouble.



Something about him was off as they approached the room that Willow was in. He was too tense and angry too, but they hadn’t even known what happened, just that they were hurt, for all they knew it could have been a car accident, or some freak thing that could happen to anybody. She remembered the way he’d reacted when Xander was hurt, and she knew that somehow these two events were connected.



Spike only let go of her hand when he was right next to Willow, he reached out both of his arms and captured her in a hug both passionate and fragile. “God, Willow, I was so bloody worried.”



Willow was hooked up to an IV and there was a bandage around her head and a cast on her wrist, but other than that she looked alright. A few cuts on her face and arms told Buffy that she’d probably been in a fight.



“I’m alright, Spike, I’m ok.” He pulled back and she managed a weak smile for him. “How’s Tara?”



“They won’t let me see her yet. Said maybe... that she’d probably pull through... it’s just shaky now, Red.” It sounded like every word was being ripped out of his chest, and Buffy imagined that’s probably what it felt like for him. His love for Tara, hell for everyone he lived with was so deep and passionate, she was surprised he had room for all that emotion.



The two siblings stared at each other for a minute before Willow broke down completely in Spike’s arms. “It was so horrible, Will, I couldn’t help her, I tried to so hard, and I couldn’t move.”



“Shh, luv, shh. I’ve got you, Will’s got you. I won’t let anything happen to her, you bloody well know that.”



“What if-”



“Don’t even think it, luv. I promised that I’d keep us all safe, and I’m not going to let her go. Don’t you worry you’re pretty head about it.” He swallowed hard and stared into nothing as he gathered the courage to ask her the most important thing.



“You know who it was, lamb?”



Willow nodded and one look in her eyes gave him all the answers he needed.



He stood stiffly and kissed her head softly. “I’m taking bloody well care of it. I left it alone after Xander because I was too fucking caught up in myself, but I’m not letting her touch my girls. I’m going to fucking take care of this now.”



His voice was deadly serious and Buffy shuddered at the severity of his tone. Without another word he turned and stalked out into the hall toward the parking lot.



“Will! Spike! Wait!”



Buffy looked from the door to Willow, unsure of what was happening and what exactly she should be doing about it.



“Buffy, you’ve got to stop him, if he goes out looking for them tonight, he’s going to get himself killed.”



That was all she needed to hear before she shot out behind him calling his name.



 

Not Dark Yet by lucky021

A/N: Sorry this is so damn short, but I had to get it out, and tacking it on to what I have planned for next chapter would make it too long. Hope you enjoy this, and I'll try to have the rest of this part out tomorrow night at the latest. Reviews are always appreciated and loved. Thanks!



"Well my sense of humanity has gone down the drain
Behind every beautiful thing there's been some kind of pain
She wrote me a letter and she wrote it so kind
She put down in writing what was in her mind
I just don't see why I should even care
It's not dark yet, but it's getting there"


-Bob Dylan, Not Dark Yet



Spike paced next to the car. He had to ask Buffy for the keys before he could leave, but he couldn't look at her right now, or anyone for that matter. He needed to settle things with Dru once and for all. He knew that allowing what happened to Xander to go by without any word was a mistake, but he hoped that maybe she would lay off if he didn't react.



At least that's what he told himself. He was scared to face her again. Scared that she'd say just the right thing to draw him back in. She was so damn good and finding his weakness and using it against him until he broke into tiny pieces at her feet. She'd gotten him to fuck for money, there wasn't much more you could ask of a person than to give you their body and their dignity.



He shook his head to clear the memories. That was all he needed, to be paralyzed by some remembrance of a time when he was lower than dirt and he loved it because she wanted him to.



God, but he was the ultimate fool for love. She'd told him that, of course. Explained to him that he was so fucking scared of being alone that he'd do anything to keep her. He'd fuck, he'd steal, he'd lie, he'd kill for her. And he'd do it all for nothing more than the crumbs she fed him out of her filthy palm. He'd wallowed in shit for her for a year, and he knew that it'd be all too easy for her to get him to do it again.



She had all the magic words. Knew all the buttons to push. Was well aware of all the places you could touch Spike and make him a little puppy that loved to beg.



"He'll go to hell and back for you if you touch him like this. Won't you, pet?"



"Dru.. please..."



He could still hear the neediness and desperation in his voice. He could still remember how it felt like his heart was being ripped out of his chest as she sold him to anyone who could get her what she wanted. He did it all for her and she still rejected him.



"Wash up, William. I won't touch you until you've scrubbed him gone. He's swirling around you now, and it makes me ill to see it."



He turned quickly and slammed his fist into the lamp pole next to him. It felt good to feel something else for a change. He could either fuck or fight to forget. He preferred to fuck, but as nothing was around, he'd settle for a tussle with an inanimate object.



"Spike?"



He looked back and saw Buffy running toward him. In that moment he looked to her like a wild animal backed into a corner. His eyes darted around for an escape and his fists clenched and unclenched at his sides.



"Spike, it's just me."



He wanted to tell her to get away from him, he was too high-strung at the moment to be rational. If everyone would just leave him alone, he'd have it out with the bloody pole and be done. He could face the bitch that was his ex and finish things like he should have done a long time ago.



He looked up and saw her fear, it brought what little sanity he had left at the moment to the forefront and he took a deep breath to calm himself.



"You should get out of her, luv, I'm not myself just now."



"Spike, I think-"



"I said get the fuck out of here, Buffy. I don't give a buggering fuck what you think right now."



Buffy had to stop herself from responding in kind as was her instinct. "Spike, you need to calm down and talk to me."



He took a step forward and pulled her to him roughly. "That really what you want, pet?" She struggled lightly against him but she wasn't exactly sure what needed to be done. His moods were mercurial at times, but he needed more than anything to be understood. Still, she could be playing with fire here. "I'm giving you one last chance to get the hell away from me before I break, you got that, lamb, one last fucking chance."



She stared at him for a moment and saw nothing in his eyes, it scared her more than she cared to admit. "Fuck you, Spike, don't try to intimidate me."



He turned and slammed her against the car, his body pressed tightly against hers. "You wanna play, pet? You wanna see the real me."



"I've already seen it, William."



"Don't fucking call me that!" He kissed her harshly and grabbed her hands, pinning them behind her. "You think I'm just some simpering little boy you can jerk around because I told you about my vulnerable past?" He ground his hips against hers and leaned in to whisper in her ear. "Stupid little bitch, oldest trick in the goddamn book."



She pushed him off violently and he nearly fell down. "Don't try that shit, you know it doesn't work," she yelled at him angrily.



"Nah, luv, this works much better on you." He grabbed his crotch and pinned to her to car again. "Like it like this, Buffy?"



A slow, sexy smile spread across her face. "Yeah, I like it like that." She used his moment of confusion to shove him to ground. "But it won't be you, Spike. You can sit there and played scared little boy all night long. I'm sick of this shit. If you don't get the fuck up, dust yourself off, apologize for being an asshole, and tell me what in the fucking hell is going on, I'm leaving, and this time I really won't come back."



They stared at each other for a moment and right as Buffy was deciding to leave, Spike covered his face and spoke. "Please.. just give me a minute."



Buffy let out a silent sigh and thanked God he'd come to his senses. She'd invested too much of herself to walk away, it would have killed her to do so.



Spike stood slowly and reached out hesitantly to touch her hand. She met him halfway and squeezed reassuringly. He sighed with relief and ran his free hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, I-"



"Just leave it at that. I know. Just tell me what's going on."



Spike looked around them and then back to the ground. "Can we... I want to be alone with you. Let's sit in the car or something."



Buffy nodded and pulled him toward the car, she opened the back door and when he looked at her questioningly she just got inside and pulled him with her. "If we sit in front, I'll feel like I'm too far away. I want to be with you right now. I think you need that."



He looked so grateful to her and incredulous that she could be so understanding that she had to smile. "I know, I don't know how I can be so kind either. Think maybe you bring out the best in me."



Spike looked down and fidgeted with his hands. "I wish I could be a better-"



"Shh," she put a finger to his lips and shook her head, leaning in close. "No wishes. Let's just do what we should and deal when we do what we shouldn't. I'm sick of talking about the past like it's going to change. We've got to face what we've done and move forward. You're living in the past, Spike, and it's killing you."



She leaned forward and kissed him softly. He didn't respond at first, but soon he was accepting all she was giving him and trying to give back what he could. It was just a meeting of lips, comfort and security, and what she hoped he understood as love.



They broke the kiss and pulled each other into a tight embrace. "Help me, Buffy. I want to but I can't do it alone."



"You know I'll help you, you know I care."



He nodded against her neck and placed a soft, sweet kiss there before pulling back to look her in the eyes. "When I told you about what I did with Dru, there are some things I left out. You asked me why I stopped, and I never answered you."



"I thought maybe that it just became too much."



"That it did, but you only know half of what it was." He took a deep breath and looked her in the eyes. "If after you hear this... if you want to go, or maybe you just want to be friends, I'll get it."



"Spike-"



"No, Buffy, I'm giving you this out because there's a good chance you'll take it. I'm not a good person, I've told you this before, but you're going to hear exactly why I say this, and you'll probably agree. If you want to pull away," he thought of Dru and flinched at the memory, "I'll get it, and I won't hold it against you."



He held both her hands in his and kissed each knuckle reverently. "Just promise me you'll give the truth about what you feel. I can't have it come up later when you let it come to surface and can't take it anymore. If you can't stand me, I want to know, don't try to hide it. Please, Buffy, it's all I ask."



She thought for a moment about all the consequences and then nodded. "I promise, Spike."



He tugged her hands gently and she moved to lay her head in his lap. He ran his fingers through her hair and sighed softly. "I have to start... You need to know about my mum... not my real mum, but Jenny, woman that practically raised me." She could hear the tremor in his voice and she stroked his knee lightly. "What happened to her... because of me, it's like what's happening now. And... what I did because of it."



He stroked her cheek lightly and she looked up at him. "Ready, pet?"



Buffy nodded and he began.



 

Where Are You Tonight? by lucky021

A/N: So, here's the final part of Spike's painful past. If you don't particularly care, skip it. If you do care about this sub-plot, please, enjoy. And either way, reviews are good ways to get what you want most out of this story, so please use that tool. Thanks.



I fought with my twin, that enemy within, 'til both of us fell by the way.
Horseplay and disease is killing me by degrees while the law looks the other way.
Your partners in crime hit me up for nickels and dimes, the guy you were lovin'
couldn't stay clean.
It felt outa place, my foot in his face, but he should-a stayed where his money was
green.
I bit into the root of forbidden fruit with the juice running down my leg.
Then I dealt with your boss, who'd never known about loss and who always was
too proud to beg.
There's a white diamond gloom on the dark side of this room and a pathway that leads
up to the stars.
If you don't believe there's a price for this sweet paradise, remind me to show you the
scars.


-Bob Dylan, Where Are You Tonight?



"William, I want you to meet Jenny. She may...umm stay... with us, occasionally."



She bent down until she was eye level with him and smiled warmly. "Hello William. Your father can be quite the fuddy-duddy can't he?"



William smiled and took her outstretched hand in his.



"She moved in with us when I was just about seven, but she'd been unofficially around for as long as I can remember. She always treated me like I was her own, and she always understood me, she understood everything."



"William?"



He looked up, startled, and closed his eyes to compose himself when he realized who it was. "You startled me."



"I see that." She moved to sit at the counter while she watched him look through the refrigerator. "Feeling better?" He nodded but remained mute and refused to look at her. "If you can't find something.. maybe I can help?"



"No...no I'm fine."



"William, please tell me what's wrong."



He turned to look at her for the first time since they'd come back from vacation. She noticed the splotches on his face, the way his eyes were bloodshot. It hurt her to see the boy she thought of as her son in pain. She had pieced together a few things since she'd seen him in his room. She'd opened the door for the teary Xander, and she'd been suspecting some things for a while now.



She knew that if she pushed him, he may not open up to her at all, but if she didn't do something to make him realize that she understood, he'd feel alone in his pain, and he wasn't."



"You know."



He'd seen it in her eyes, and it scared the hell out of him.



"Yes."



The silence was thick between them and William was on the verge of flight. He stared hard into her eyes and tried to decipher what he saw there. Love, maybe, probably pity, probably disappointment that she'd raised a gay son, or at least a currently gay son.



"Must be hard to know your boy's a queer."



She recognized this tactic immediately. He'd rarely used it with her, but often with Rupert he tried to head off the shame he thought his father felt with anger and a real reason to think less of him.



"Not at all."



She stood and he took a step back. "You're not my mother."



She swallowed and shook her head. "No, but she wouldn't feel any differently than I do right now."



"And how's that?"



"Hurt that you're hurt, sorry that I didn't make it clear to you that no matter what I'll always be here. It doesn't change anything William, I still love you, and I'm not going to ask you to change."



There was more silence and William walked past her to sit in the dark of the living room. She considered turning on the lights when she followed him, but realized that he probably needed the anonymity of it. She sat next to him and he didn't flinch when she put a hand on his back.



"He..." William's voice cracked and he absentmindedly brushed his hair back from his face. "He doesn't love me."



"I'm sorry." It was all she could say, and all he wanted to hear. She pulled him to her and he held on to her tightly while she rubbed his back. This last pain was finally lifted from him, his fear of rejection from this woman had been hanging over his head since his first kiss with Xander and now he could rest easy that he'd always have a place to come home.



***



He stumbled into the house with Dru on his arm. They giggled softly and tried to make their way to his bedroom as inconspicuously as possible.



Dru's hand down his pants was making that a bit harder than it had to be. On all fronts.



"Baby... just wait, luv, don't want to wake them."



"Oohhh, Will, let's be naughty."



He paused and smiled down at her as she gave his cock a long stroke. "What'd you have in mind, pet?"



"Do it right here, Will, right here where anyone can find us."



"Dru, luv, it's my parents' house."



"You can do it any way you like," she whispered against his ear. She pulled his skirt up to the very tops of her thighs and rubbed her ass against his crotch. "I'll even call you 'Daddy'."



He grinned and shoved her against the arm of the couch. "Say it, baby, tell me how much you want it."



She mewled into the cushions and wiggled her ass as she heard him unzip his fly and then rip off her thong. "I've been so very, naughty, Daddy, I think you should punish me."



William felt his cock get harder at the sound of her words and he pressed it against her pussy, teasing both of them. "Beg for it, Dru."



"Fuck me," she growled back at him. "I need you in me, please."



He thrust home in one move and grabbed her hair, pulling her back to kiss and bite at her neck. She was begging him just the way he liked, with 'pleases' and little pathetic whimpers that made him want to come just from being inside her. He was so caught up in the sensations that he didn't see the light from the upstairs hall come on, or the voices. Their fucking was fast and hard and they had both begun to make a lot of noise when suddenly William heard the one voice that could make his dick shrink faster than any other.



"William, what the bloody hell do you think you're doing."



He pulled out of Drusilla quickly and zipped his pants while trying to pull down her skirt to make her more presentable.



"Uhh, Dad... I, umm, 's not what it looks like."



"Funny, it looks as if you were just fucking this girl hard enough to wake the entire house out of a dead sleep."



He didn't think his face could have been redder at any time in his life. "Uh... Well... I guess you could say that."



"Where the hell have you been, we haven't seen you in days?"



"Out."



Rupert Giles glared forcefully at his son and tried to keep what was left of his temper intact. "Elaborate, William."



William turned to Dru and tugged her to him to whisper in her ear. "Go on to my room, luv, be there shortly." He kissed her temple and she grabbed her purse from the table.



She tripped and dropped its contents at Giles' feet.



They all stared in silence for a moment before William dove and tried to shove everything back into her purse, but not before Giles could bend and pick up the most offending items.



"This is what you've been out doing."



William hung his head and stayed on the ground.



"Show me your arms."



"Da-"



"Show me your bloody arms." William did as he was asked and Giles sighed sadly before he turned and walked toward the stairs. "Be out of here by morning, and don't come back until you're my son again."



Tears pricked the back of his eyes but he shook them away and rage replaced the pain. "That's all I came back to do! I'm getting the fuck out of here!"



He saw his father pause and it made him smile to know he'd actually gotten through to him. "Yeah, you wanna know why?" When there wasn't any answer he continued. "You've made me feel like nothing my whole fucking life, and now I am nothing! I'm not you're son, I'm me. You got that, Rupes. I fuck who I want, drink what I want, and do what I want. You don't like it, too bloody bad!"



He stormed into his bedroom and took the few things he could fit into Dru's car. He took the backdoor out and thought he was home free until he saw her waiting in front of the car.



"Dru, baby, just wait here a minute."



She nodded and he walked up to Jenny. "You heard then?"



"He loved you, Will."



"He should bloody well show it more often, then."



She reached for him and he gratefully fell into her arms. "He just has a hard time, you both do." William didn't respond and she sighed. "Please stop this, it's going to end badly."



He pulled back. "Maybe, maybe not. I'm not going to be coming 'round ever again."



"Maybe, maybe not." She kissed his cheek and ruffled his hair. "Be careful, Will, remember that I'm always here."



He nodded and she walked back into the house.



"That was the last time I saw her."



"But you must have gone back."



Spike looked into her eyes and again there was emptiness. "I was too late."



Xander saw Spike hobbling toward his house and he wondered how he could possibly break the news to his friend. When he did actually see him up close he was appalled at the man's condition. He was bleeding from just about everywhere, covered in dirt and what he assumed was probably spunk, he smelled like a gutter and his eyes were hollow.



When he told him what had happened to Jenny, Spike ran before he could clean himself up. The viewing was quiet even though many people were present. When Spike walked in, not a few gasps sounded. Giles and Willow were in another room and didn't see him until he was already weeping over the casket.



Xander had informed Giles of the state he'd seen Spike in lately. The only times he came around was when he needed a place to recuperate. Xander left out the more intimate details of Spike's problems, but it was bad enough without that information. The actual sight of it however, left Giles paralyzed for a moment. He'd never seen his once quiet and unassuming son in such a state of disarray and filth.



The cries he was letting out were ripping him in two and finally he snapped out of his shock and grabbed Spike, hauling him into the small room.



"She was murdered, William."



Spike sat in shock for a moment before he finally looked up. "Because..."



"Of you, yes."



"I don't understand."



"The man.. that Dru and I had been..." Buffy nodded and he continued. "We knew it was a bad situation, so we just tried to avoid him, just skip out of town for a while. He didn't like that."



Buffy swallowed and closed her eyes for a moment.



"When we came back, he found us. He took it out on me, I told him not to touch Dru so I got the brunt of it. My father wouldn't look at me, he knew what I'd become, because at this point it was just Angel that was cashing in on my bargain. Dru was pretty much pimping me out to anyone who would have me."



"Angel?"



"That was his name, pretty fucking ironic, ain't it."



She didn't say anything but something crossed her face that Spike couldn't identify, she when back to stroking his back lightly and he covered his face. "When I saw her, Buffy, she looked so... There was nothing, and it was because of me. It was my shit that killed her, and I didn't even have a chance to look presentable. I got blood on her face and I embarrassed her."



Buffy didn't know what to say so she remained silent.



"There was only one way I could make anything even slightly better."



"What was it?"



"I could avenge her."



After hearing the accusation in his father's voice, Spike ran until he found Xander's house again. His friend patched him and he didn't ask him any questions. Spike gave Xander a rough kiss when he left and the look the brunette's eyes told him that he knew he was saying goodbye, possibly forever.



He was single-minded in his pursuit of Angel. He pulled his gun out from under the seat of Dru's car and made the short journey to the apartment. He felt like something was off the moment he moved to kick down the door but he shoved it aside and walked into his second personal hell of betrayal. Suddenly it all clicked into place, the way he never hurt her, the way Dru was so damned adamant about coming to Angel even though he had a rep for being one of the worst excuses for a human being.



She was fucking Angel's brains out, and this whole thing, with her selling him to get a fix was one elaborate mind fuck.



"Sweet William, I think it's time you paid the toll."



He opened fire on Angel at almost point blank range.



Dru scrambled off of him and screamed. She tried to grab Spike's arm but he threw her off and emptied the gun's contents into Angel's chest and face. It was for Dru in a way, it was for himself, mostly it was for Jenny and the way his father had looked at him.



He kept pulling the trigger for a few minutes after the bullets ran out. The clicking wasn't registering in his mind, neither were the various noises coming from Dru. When he snapped too, she was gone, and all evidence of he presence with her. Blood covered the walls, the bed, the carpet, and Spike was drenched in it.



He stared at his hand for a moment trying to comprehend that he had just taken another human life. Comprehension didn't come and he slid down the wall to sit in the pool of blood below him.



His father found him the next day. He looked as panicked as William had ever seen him.



"Oh, oh Jesus, Will, what have you done?"



William didn't answer, just stood and the gun fell limply from his hands. "Bless me father for I have sinned." He collapsed into hysterical giggles and fell at his father's feet.



Giles didn't move for a moment. The giggles faded into sobs and he watched his son cry out for mercy beneath him. He touched his bloody curls and let a tear escape and travel down his worn cheek. "I'm so sorry, William. I'm so sorry that you felt this was the way."



William looked up and his eyes held some sanity for the first time in months. "Dad... please."



Giles pulled his son into an embrace and allowed him to cry into his chest. "I forgive you, William. I love you, I'll always love you, and I'm so sorry."



"What happened after that."



"You mean what did we do with the body?"



Buffy nodded silently, her eyes were as big as saucers and Spike wondered if he should have ever told her the truth, how hard would it have been to make something else up. "Dad had connections, he had a cleaner come in and take care of it. Don't ask me how the head of the English department knows these people. Must be something from the Ripper days."



Buffy was staring at her hands and Spike sighed. "Feel free to take your leave of us."



She looked up at him and pulled him into a tight hug. "I'm not leaving."



All the tension drained from his body at her words and he pulled her into his lap holding onto her for dear life. "I'm a murderer, Buffy."



"I don't care."



He pulled back to look at her. "You will." He sighed and dropped his hands from her sides. "If you don't face this, it's going-"



"I am facing it. I just... Spike, we said we were going to stop living in the past. You're not proud that you killed him, but let's be honest, he wasn't exactly a candidate for pope. The guy raped you for fun, slept with the woman you loved, fucked with your head, and most of all, he killed your mother because you tried to get out from under his control. He and Drusilla played you, and you snapped. I don't think many people can say that they wouldn't have."



"I just... God, Buffy, how can you be so good to me?"



She just shook her head and kissed him. That was a good enough answer for Spike.



 

Farewell Angelina by lucky021

A/N: Sorry, sorry, sorry for the wait. I don't plan on that happening again so I should go back to a more regular schedule. Thanks for all the reviews, and please, please keep them coming. A lot of the beginning is Spike/Tara past, but I think now that Spike's pretty much an open book, his stuff is done and Buffy's is going to be more important. So yes, she does have a past, and it will come to haunt her just like everybody else. But, her's isn't as terrible as Spike's.



"Farewell Angelina
The bells of the crown
Are being stolen by bandits
I must follow the sound
The triangle tingles
And the trumpet play slow
Farewell Angelina
The sky is on fire
And I must go.

There's no need for anger
There's no need for blame
There's nothing to prove
Ev'rything's still the same
Just a table standing empty
By the edge of the sea
Farewell Angelina
The sky is trembling
And I must leave."


-Bob Dylan, Farewell Angelina



They sat for a while longer in the car just exchanging soft touches and even softer kisses. Spike seemed to be out of tears for the moment but he was still trembling against her. Eventually, Buffy reminded him that they should go back to check on Tara and Willow and Spike's eyes cleared. He looked panicked for a moment and she stroked his back to calm him while he took a few deep breaths.



"God, I've gotta get back in there."



He moved to open the door but she covered his hand with hers. "Wait, I need you to promise me something."



He looked back at her expectantly and she took his face in her hands. "Please don't go after these people by yourself. Please don't get involved in all of it again." He opened his mouth to speak but she put a finger to his lips. "No, I understand that something had to be done, but we'll work it out together. I don't have to be there when it all goes down, but I want to know, and I want you to be safe about it. Willow seemed really upset and was sure that you might get killed." She paused and made sure he was looking into her eyes. "I'm really too fond of you to let you go now."



He recognized the sentiment behind her words and it touched him. He kissed her and nodded. "I promise. Thank you, Buffy."



She opened the door and they got out of the car holding hands. "Let's go see if we can figure anything more about Tara.



***



It wasn't good news. Spike had squeezed Buffy's hand painfully as they learned of Tara's condition. She'd suffered extensive damage to her head and they weren't sure when, if, or what condition she'd be in upon waking. They had moved her into a room equipped for visitors and after a bit of wrangling, they allowed Spike in to see her. They had tried to get Willow inside as well but she was still being monitored. Buffy decided it would be best if Spike could see her alone. She gave him a tender kiss and cupped his cheek.



He closed his eyes and leaned into her touch. "Thank you, I still can't believe you're being so damn understanding about all my shit."



"Of course I am, Spike."



He looked into her eyes, searching for that little thing he desperately needed but she looked away. There was a short awkward moment but Spike touched her hand and smiled. "Come and get me when you want to leave, luv."



"No, I want you to have all the time you need. I'll just go and sit with Willow. I think Xander and Anya are already in there. You come when you're ready."



He kissed her quickly and turned toward Tara's room.



***



He stood looking into the room for almost ten minutes before he finally entered. He approached her bed warily, the guilt weighing him down even more every step. He finally reached her bed and pulled a chair up next to it. His hands ghosted over her face and arms before he finally found the courage to take her hand in his.



"Tara..." He sighed and put his head down next to hers on the pillow. "Baby, please wake up."



Tears he thought his body couldn't possibly produce anymore of leaked out of his eyes and onto the pillow. He sniffled softly and tried to wipe them away, but more took their place and he gave up. "I'm so... bloody hell Tara, I'm so fucking sorry."



He moved one hand up to touch her face lightly. There were bruises around her eyes and on one temple where she'd been hit. They'd cleaned the blood off of her face, but he could still tell where she was cut. He winced as he touched every part of her that had been wounded and he swore he could feel them himself.



"I can't... there's so much... fuck it all Tara, I love you too much to lose you completely." He began to stroke her cheek. "Remember when we met, I was such a sorry bastard before you. Pinin' after Xander, afraid to talk to the girls, sure I was a queen. Then I saw you in that poetry class, remember? God, it was just a few of us, nobody wanted to take that class. Just me and you, and a bunch of jocks and cheerleaders who had to take it 'cause it was the only thing fitting in their schedules." He chuckled and ran a hand over her brow.



"You blew me away, baby. Knew so bloody much, more than I could ever hope to, and I'd never thought that soulmates existed until then." He kissed her swollen lips and a sob choked him. "I know that I wasn't all that you needed... or wanted, but you made me feel like I was all you saw. Still do sometimes."



"I wanted you to be happy, and I think Willow makes you happy, I know you do it for her. Somethin' about us Giles children, ey, pet?" He put his head back on the pillow and watched her. "Come on back, luv, we all need you here. Hold us together, you do. Come on Tara, if not for me... Red needs you, baby. Wake up."



***



William could barely contain himself on the way to his bedroom. He helped Tara out of the car and half-dragged her into the house. He thanked whatever was up there for keeping Willow out that night as he pulled Tara in for passionate kiss that left his trousers considerably tighter and Tara panting for air.



"You still... I mean.. you're sure, right?"



Tara smiled and kissed him, pulling him up the stairs. "Love you, Will, let me show you."



He gulped and followed her lead, now more nervous than anything. They reached his room and between closing the door and turning to face her, he lost all his nerve.



They stared awkwardly at each other for a moment before Tara moved forward and placed his hand on the zipper of her dress. "Go on, Will."



He swallowed and bent to kiss her as he eased the zipper down and her dress off. He looked down at her in her panties and stockings and nearly came in his pants. She brought his hands up to cup her breasts and they both sighed at the contact.



"Tara, luv... so bloody gorgeous."



She smiled shyly and tugged on his tie until she could take it off. As she began unbuttoning his shirt, he realized that his hands were immobile on her and he began the soft strokes and squeezes that he knew she liked.



Their breathing was labored as she finally undid the last button and pushed his shirt off his shoulders. He didn't want to have to lose contact with her but he shrugged his shirt off quickly anyway and pulled her to him, desperate to feel her breasts against his bare chest. She rubbed herself subtly against his erection and he moaned softly.



"Please... please touch me..." He grasped her wrist with one hand and brought it to his straining cock. She stroked him through his pants until he was gasping for breath and leaning hard against her. She undid the first button of his trousers and the zipper began to descend under the pressure. She helped it along and he sprang out, long, hard, and wet with precum.



She looked down at him, fascinated and he squirmed under her scrutiny. He didn't have any idea what to say, the only other person who'd ever seen him naked was Xander, and he remembered all too well how that turned out. He knelt at her feet and ran his hands up her legs, stopping when he reached her panties and looking up for permission before he pulled them down along with her stockings.



He busied himself with disrobing her completely and covering every inch of flesh with kisses to quell his embarrassment. When she moved to touch him he evaded her and worked harder on pleasing her. He moved her to the bed and after she was laying there, vibrating with need with her eyes closed, he skipped off to turn off the light before she could really see him again.



Tara didn't understand why he was so nervous and avoidy all the sudden. She'd never been able to see him in all his glory, and she wanted to revel in the moment. He was gorgeous, totally beautiful. She'd only seen men in art, but even "David" had nothing on her man. She reached out to touch his thighs and he moved down the bed until he was placing kisses on her stomach just above the hair at the juncture of her thighs.



"Will?"



He looked up but kept coaxing her legs apart. "Yes, luv?"



"Could we... m-maybe have the lights on?"



She felt him tense but he kept up his caresses of her thighs and stomach even if they were getting jerkier. "Why would you want that?"



"I kind of.. w-want to see you."



He noticed then that she'd started to stutter a bit and he felt like a complete and utter fuck-up. She never did that around him, he liked to think he made her feel safe and confident enough that she could overcome it, but apparently he'd screwed everything up.



He stopped everything and moved to lay next to her, staring at the ceiling and clutching the sheets to conceal his nakedness from her. "I'm sorry."



She leaned over him and tried to decipher what he was going through from the look in his eyes. "You d-don't.. That's ok, we can just sleep."



He closed his eyes and tried to restrain himself from jumping out of the bed and trashing the entire room. He'd never felt so stupid in all his life. He'd made a mess of things with Xander, and now he'd done even worse with Tara, the girl he loved more than he'd ever loved anyone.



"William... you're beautiful."



His eyes shot open at that and he turned to look at her full in the face. "What?"



"Are you worried that I might not... that I wouldn't love the way you looked?"



He shrugged and looked away. "You don't have to say anything... I know that... Just, I love you, and you're amazing, and I'm afraid...." He didn't finish his thought, just sat up and pulled on his pants. He'd lost her, he was sure of it. He'd wanted to give her this gift but he should have known sex was a mistake after all that had happened before. They loved each other, he was sure of that, and that was more precious to him than getting off. Normal people could pull it off, but he was far from normal.



"Will, please tell me what's going on."



He turned to her and there were tears in his eyes. "I can't lose you. I fucked everything up last time, and I can't lose you because I do it again."



Tara was a little surprised at the language, he'd rarely uttered a "bloody hell" without apologizing. "What do you mean, 'last time'?"



"Nothing... it's nothing... I think I'll sit outside for a moment. I need the fresh air."



Tara finally moved and grabbed his arm, pulling him back into the bed. "William... don't run away." She kissed him and he sighed into her lips. "I want to know.. I want to help you."



He couldn't tell her, there was absolutely no way she'd ever look at him with love again if he told her about his... whatever it was with Xander. He may not have been wrong or really sick for wanting him, but he'd made a fool of himself, and he wasn't gay, he wanted Tara to see that she really would be his first. Xander was something terrible and secret and painful. Tara was everything beautiful and if it weren't for his proclivity to fall hard and fast, he wouldn't have taken things so far with his friend, he wished he would have waited for her.



"Will... I know.. a-about Xander." He looked at her with a mix of pain, betrayal and fear. "I guess someone knew, or at least it was a rumor. You two... I heard people talking, when we got together. They didn't think.... B-but I never believed that. I thought you w-would tell me, you couldn't have been lying so well, so p-please tell m-me that's n-not true."



He pulled her to him fiercely and wished he could cause just as much pain to each and every one of those people so intent on hurting her and thinking they knew so bloody much about his life as they'd caused Tara.



"No, baby, no, of course not... I mean.. some things, with Xander... but I love you, really, really love.. I'm completely in love with you, he doesn't... Xander and I..." He rolled them so that they were on their sides facing each other. "It's just hard to explain."



She stroked his face and kissed him again. "I want to hear it... i-if you want to tell me."



"Why don't you ask me.. I'll tell you everything you want to know."



She thought for a few moments and made sure she kept touching him to reassure him that she was ok with it. "Did you two.. I guess I mean.. how far did it go?"



"He.. I let him..." He looked up and saw that she understood. "But just once... and we haven't done anything... for a very long time."



"Why not?"



William looked very pained at his point and she considered taking it back, but her took a deep breath and began. "I.. I loved him, and I told him. He's not gay and he wouldn't... He couldn't care for me like that... I was [fucking fag.stupid queer.never be your boyfriend.sick.dirty.wrong.disgusting.] wrong to think of him that way."



Tara had no idea what to say, so when William began to nibble softly at her neck she ran her hands up his arms and closed her eyes, trying to forget that he was still so hurt about Xander. Trying to forget that she'd already hurt him, even if he didn't know it, and she couldn't tell him that part of her wasn't letting him be her beard, no matter how much she wanted to.



"Tell me," he whispered desperately in her ear. "Please."



She held his cheeks between her hands and let the tears fall because she did love him, even if it wasn't enough. "I love you.. I love you, Will, so much."



He kissed her and whispered again and again how sorry he was, how much he wished that he'd have waited for her, how much he wanted to make everything perfect. How much he loved her and wanted to be with her forever.



"Oohhh, Will..." Somehow he'd moved between her thighs and the head of his once more erect cock was prodding at her entrance. His shaking hands tried to open the condom package but she took it from him and then rolled it on. He sighed and rested his head on hers trying to control himself.



"You make me feel so good, baby, so loved."



More tears, and he didn't quite understand, but he was crying a little as well, so maybe that's just how it was when things got this emotional.



"I do love you, Will, believe me."



"I do." He looked into her eyes before pushing inside. She cried out and he buried his face in her neck, kissing her softly, whispering to her, and trying to stop himself from cumming right away. He shuddered above her for a few moments before she tilted her hips and slid farther inside.



"Now, Will."



They rocked together and he never stopped talking, and they never stopped the tears, though they were for different reasons. He reached between them to help her along when he felt himself reaching the point of no return. When she started to tremble and cry out he let himself go and they came together crying out the others' names.



William looked so happy and absolutely in love when he pulled her to him after dropping the used rubber in the trash by the bed. Tara felt selfish and wrong but she tried to let the love she felt for him show on her face.



She'd made love to William, and that was when she knew she'd have to let him go.



***



Spike shot up next to her and shook his head. He hadn't dreamt about Tara, and especially not of that night in a long time. He hated thinking about hot completely clueless he'd been. It made him want to doubt Buffy, hell, doubt everyone. He could reason away Xander's rejection, they were just kids and scared as hell about what caring about another man meant. He could definitely pass by Dru's even if it was hard, she was crazy and if he hadn't been so high he might've realized some things sooner.



Tara had no reason to never love him, to reject him, other than the fact he wasn't right for her. He wasn't enough. He wasn't his sister. The tide of resentment he felt immediately almost drowned him. He'd come close in the past to hating Willow, but he couldn't do it. Thinking about Tara though, it made things a little tougher to ignore.



He shook his head again and thought of Buffy. Beautiful, sweet, understanding Buffy. She knew now all the worst parts of him, she'd been the brunt of a few of his lapses in judgment.



But she still won't say she loves you.



"Will?"



Spike looked over quickly and saw Tara's eyes on him. He smiled a broadly and sincerely as he could considering where his mind was headed and smoothed a hand over her brow. "Hey, baby, how're you feeling?"



"Head hurts. Willow?"



"She's fine, a little banged up, but fine. Shall I get the doctor?"



He didn't really want to be in the same room with her now that she was awake. All the guilt he felt about the whole thing came rushing back and he felt a need to do something really painful to Dru immediately.



"Will, don't do anything stupid. Call Giles, deal with it with him."



Spike clenched his fists and then took a deep breath. "Don't really fancy hearin' dear ol' dad's ranting about my loose ends."



"He's not going to blame you for this. You've come so far, he knows what's happened. He just wants you and Willow safe."



He nodded. "I'll get the doctor then, see if I can get Willow."



He moved to stand up and leave but she touched his hand. "What is it?"



He realized that he'd been taking out his frustration over the old and new on her and it wasn't fair. They'd come to terms with the past long ago, and he wasn't about to open old wounds because he was feeling insecure about Buffy. "I'm sorry."



"Buffy?"



"Something like that. Just a little... I don't know."



"I'm sorry that you have to be wary of everybody you love. It's not fair."



"Nothin' to do about it, pet. No worries, que sera and all that." She knew his tactics better than anyone but Xander and she gave him a look. He sighed and lost the tough act. "I'll be fine, luv," he whispered.



She touched his face and he leaned in and kissed her softly. "I'll take care of it, Willow will be in, I promise. I'll check in later too, yeah?"



"I think maybe you and Buffy should go back home. Rest, Will. I'll be fine."



He nodded, kissed her cheek and walked out without looking back, afraid he'd throw himself into her lap and weep if he did.



***



Spike did some of his best threatening/coercing and Willow was able to see Tara, though only for a while, and they wouldn't release her until tomorrow. Tara would possibly stay longer, but it seemed she was out of the woods. Xander and Anya stuck around and assured Spike that they would call if anything happened and finally he and Buffy were in her car and on their way home.



She was a little surprised when he took her hand and held it tightly on the way back, but she figured he was feeling a little needy after everything at the hospital. She was ready with comfort if he wanted it, she just couldn't stand to see that little boy lost look on his face for too long.



When they reached home, he pulled her into a tight embrace before they could get to the front door. He seemed like he was trying to say something again and again but he could never get it out. She decided the best course of action at this point would be to let him work out whatever it was he needed to and she would just be there for him.



She tugged on him a little and they moved into the house and to his bedroom. She helped him undress and put him in his bed. She wasn't sure if he wanted her to stay so she folded his things and tried to take as much time as she could so that he could ask her if he wanted to. When he remained silent she said goodnight and moved to the door but he grabbed her arm.



"Please?"



She understood just how hard this night had been on him and she nodded without a word. She'd gotten as far as removing her coat when he phone rang. She looked at the caller ID and froze.



"Oh, shit."



Spike looked up and she nearly panicked before she shook her head at him and answered.



"Hi.... umm, can you give me a minute? Ok, thanks."



She moved to the bed next to Spike and ran a hand over his hair. "I'll be back in just a few minutes, ok, baby?"



He nodded and gave her that look again, and she couldn't resist kissing the top of his head before stepping outside. She walked until she was in the front of the house near her car before she took a breath and put the phone to her ear.



"Hi, Riley, sorry."



"I haven't heard from you in a while."



She thought of something to say but he spoke first.



"I guess this is it then?"



"I'm sorry."



"Is it Spike?"



"Riley..."



"Of course it is." He tried not to sound angry, but it didn't work. "Can you just... Why?"



"Riley, please."



"No, Buffy, I think I at least deserve a reason. Are you sleeping with him already, that where you were?"



"Riley, that's not fair."



"Why isn't it. I do the right thing, let you have time, and you shack up with him without even a word to your actual boyfriend."



"I know it was bad, but sometimes things just can't be helped."



"Yeah." She could hear how tight his voice was and she felt horrible for doing this to him.



"I'm sorry."



"You said that already, can you answer my question."



"What?"



"Why him?"



Buffy thought for a moment. She'd never really considered why she was able to fall so fast and hard for Spike, and she really hadn't considered the fact she could forget Riley existed for days. Why was she with Spike, they hadn't even established what they were, and he loved her but... she hadn't said the same. Hadn't said it, there had been something holding her back.



"Buffy?"



"Hold on?"



She was getting to something. Something key, it was almost like she could feel her reservations falling away and she wasn't sure why. Then it hit her. She wasn't ready because she didn't know him. She thought she knew him, but he had left something out, and she had sensed it. Now she was ready. Oh wow.



"I love him."



***



Spike was getting nervous. He didn't know why she had left, someone was on the phone and she didn't look very happy about it. He could only think of one person that would make her that nervous that he knew of and that thought scared him more than he'd like to admit.



After all of his worry and her care, if Riley phoned and she left to be with him....



He couldn't even think about it. His heart sped up, his breathing was getting a little labored and he realized his hands were shaking. He was panicking. Shit, he was having a fucking panic attack, and he hadn't had one since he was a teenager.



His eyes darted around the room for a reason to calm down. He tried to take deep breaths but he was choking on nothing, he couldn't breathe.



He clutched the bedsheets and closed his eyes searching for some kind of peace but all he could see was Riley and Buffy, Riley on his Buffy, Riley fucking Buffy.



He was driving himself insane, going crazy and he couldn't move.



The door opened but he didn't notice, he was too involved in the hell he'd created for himself where Buffy laughed while she fucked that creep and let Spike see how much she really cared for him.



"Spike? Spike, oh my god, what's wrong?"



He looked at her, there, in his bed, no Riley and part of him was ok again, but his body had yet to respond. He closed his eyes and tried to breathe and slowly he was starting to be able to again. He grabbed at her hands and she held him close.



They rocked for a moment and she whispered to him as he relaxed. Finally after what seemed to him like hours, he was ok.



"Sorry.. sorry, luv."



"What happened?"



"Just got a little panicked, probably just the adrenaline. Like shock leftover from the hospital."



He didn't sound very sure of that but she let it slide. "Let me get undressed and we can just lay down, ok?"



He nodded and she stripped down her panties and pulled on his shirt. She climbed into bed next to him and he buried his face once again in her neck. "Love you... Love you, Buffy."



She pulled back from him and looked him in the eyes. The thought of telling him was starting to scare her but she refused to lose her nerve. "Spike... I love you too."



She watched as a million emotions flitted across his face, but she latched onto joy and he seemed to as well. He pulled her to him and kissed her passionately, but with enough tenderness to show her he was still a little wary of the whole thing.



"Oh, Buffy, God, luv! You... oh, baby, so good to me."



Their kissing turned into a bit more but before too much could happen, Spike pulled back. "I'm not sure... we should maybe wait still. I want it to be bloody perfect, Buffy, tonight's been so crazy-"



"I know, and I think you're right." She nuzzled his cheek and smiled when she felt him do the same. "Sleeping with you, I love that. Waking up with you is even better."



"Mmmm...."



He was already drifting off, and she didn't blame him, it had been a long day.



"Tell me again."



"I love you."



"Again."



She smiled and kissed his neck. "Love you, love you, love you. Good?'



"For now I s'pose," he mumbled into her neck before slipping into sleep.



 

Idiot Wind by lucky021

A/N: Please please me. Review! Oh, and I really liked writing this, I hope you like reading it. Again, please review.



I woke up on the roadside, daydreamin' 'bout the way things sometimes are
Visions of your chestnut mare shoot through my head and are makin' me see stars.
You hurt the ones that I love best and cover up the truth with lies.
One day you'll be in the ditch, flies buzzin' around your eyes,
Blood on your saddle.
***


It was gravity which pulled us down and destiny which broke us apart
You tamed the lion in my cage but it just wasn't enough to change my heart.
Now everything's a little upside down, as a matter of fact the wheels have stopped,
What's good is bad, what's bad is good, you'll find out when you reach the top
You're on the bottom.
***


I been double-crossed now for the very last time and now I'm finally free,
I kissed goodbye the howling beast on the borderline which separated you from me.
You'll never know the hurt I suffered nor the pain I rise above,
And I'll never know the same about you, your holiness or your kind of love,
And it makes me feel so sorry.
-Bob Dylan, Idiot Wind



 


Spike dreamt of Tara and Xander. Of Willow and Anya. He watched them together and he hurt but something was changing inside him. Something was filling up a place that was dead, and places that he hadn't even known existed before. He could feel Buffy all around him, could smell her, taste her. Her warmth seeped into his body and he felt whole for the first time since he'd really understood that his mother was dead and never coming back. She wasn't going to leave him. His best friend, his first love, his sister, his father, the mothers he knew and didn't know, they could abandon him but Buffy was always there.



He moved slowly toward consciousness and he felt Buffy pressed up against his back leaving soft, tender kisses on his neck. Her fingernails were lightly grazing his stomach and that really wasn't helping in the effort to forget about his morning erection.



"Mmmm..."



"Morning."



Spike didn't say anything, just reached back to stroke her thigh with one hand and entwine his fingers with hers over his stomach. He could feel her smiling against his back as her free hand drifted down to dance around his cock without ever touching him. It was driving him crazy, but it was a good crazy.



"Buffy..." It came out as a contented sigh as she finally closed her deft fingers around him. "Yes, luv."



"I love you in the morning."



He smiled without opening his eyes. "Just the morning, pet?"



"Well, ok, all the time. But you're so cute when you're all sleepy and purring like a kitten."



He turned and pinned her to the bed faster than she would have guessed possible in those circumstances. "Cute? Purring? Think you might be projecting."



She reached up to ruffle his already messed hair. "Nope. I have terrible and unmanageable bed hair, yours is just plain adorable."



He growled and attacked her neck with open-mouthed kisses that had her gasping and moaning in seconds. "Your hair is always beautiful, just like the rest of you."



"Less talky more bitey."



He laughed and resumed his previous task while she maneuvered her hand between them to stroke him again. He moaned and closed his hand over hers pressing her tighter. He moved from her neck to her collarbone and then began to pull up the hem of the shirt she was wearing.



“Spike?”



“Hmm?”



“Maybe we should...”



Her hand stopped moving though her fingers where still wrapped around him and he looked up into her eyes. “What is it?”



“I’m not... we’re kinda one step away here, don’t you think?”



He smoothed the shirt back down and brought her hand from his aching cock to his lips and kissed her fingers. “Yeah... after last night....” He sighed. “Things might be harder to control now, eh?”



She nodded and he kissed her tenderly trying not to think about how angry his dick was going to be with him for making this decision.



“I’m sorry, I do want to, just-”



He rolled off of her and propped himself up on his elbow. “No worries, luv. I want to too.” They both looked down and she couldn’t help but grin at his grimace. “Just want it to be right. Can’t rush everything can we?”



She shook her head, feeling terrible about leaving him like that. She contemplated just finishing him off and then taking a shower to help herself but he moved out of bed and pulled on his jeans. “I think I might need a shower right about now.”



“Yeah, guess that’s a good idea.”



She watched him gingerly tuck himself into his jeans and walk delicately over to kiss her again. “Was gonna ask you,” he paused and she looked at him expectantly. “I need to talk to.. my father...” It seemed a lot harder than it should for him to say those words and she reached for his hand. “Think you’d like to.. maybe meet him today?”



She sat up and brought a hand to his cheek. “Yeah, of course. Let me have some time to get ready and we can go.”



He nodded and stood. He ran a hand over he hair before smiling softly and walking to the bathroom. She got her things from his room and on her way past the bathroom where she could hear the shower going, she couldn’t help but lean in to listen.



“Buffy...”



She grinned and made her way to her room.



***



Buffy could feel the tension rolling off of Spike as they approached a small house near the campus. He pulled into the drive and shut off the engine before looking over at her. He’d held her hand, more and more tightly as the ride went on and now he brought it up to his lips and kissed it softly.



“Are you gonna be ok?”



“Yeah... Just a little nervous. Last time we talked things were good and I thought... Now it’s all fucked again and I don’t know how he’s gonna react. Maybe we should come together some other time, when he’s not almost sure to hate me again.”



“Spike... It’s ok, nobody has the perfect parent/child relationship worked out. You’ve told me about most of the problems and I don’t think he’s going to freak out and blame you for this.” She left out the “again” part, sure he was filling it in himself and hugged him tightly. “I want to be here for you.”



“God you’re amazing.”



She smiled brightly and opened her door after quickly kissing him. “I know.”



They walked up the drive and to the door hand in hand and she gave him a reassuring squeeze before he knocked.



An older man with only a slight resemblance to Spike, but a huge one to what she imagined William was like greeted them.



“William, son, how are you?”



They embraced and Buffy couldn’t help but smile at the affection in the older man’s eyes for his child. She knew they’d had hard times, but she could see it wasn’t possible for this man to feel anything more than love for his son.



Spike cleared his throat and stepped back. “Umm, fine, Dad...” He put a hand at the small of Buffy’s back and urged her forward. “I’d like you to meet someone. This is Buffy Summers. Buffy, this is my father, Rupert Giles.”



She smiled and he took her hand and shook it warmly returning her smile and nodding. “Hello, Buffy, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”



“Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Giles.”



“Oh please, just Giles, or Rupert if you prefer, though no one’s called me that name in years.” He gestured for them to come inside and they moved into the sitting room. It wasn’t a large home, but it was homey and Buffy could see a young William living in a place like this, with a lot of books and a distinctly British look to the furniture.



“Sit down, sit down. Tea?”



Spike’s nervousness wasn’t really lessening and Buffy took his hand again in hopes of calming him down. “That sounds great, Giles. Right, Spike?”



He looked up suddenly and she could tell this place was bringing back a lot of memories, and probably not pleasant ones. “Umm, yeah, Dad, thanks.”



While Giles busied himself in the kitchen Buffy tried to ease Spike’s anxiety with soft touches. “It’ll be ok, Spike. Everyone’s fine, and you’re going to deal with this in a way that will make him proud.”



He just looked at her and kissed her a little desperately before he resumed his earlier musing over memories. Giles returned soon after and sat down after handing out their cups.



“So, William, what brings you here?”



Spike took a deep breath and looked up at his father. Buffy could see the tension settle in the older man’s body and she tensed as well. “Willow... had and accident. She’s fine now,” he added quickly.



Most of the color drained from Giles’ face and Buffy squeezed Spike’s hand hard. “What happened?”



“She was... There was a fight... She and Tara were attacked.. Xander too a few weeks ago. Everybody’s ok, but we.. I need to take care of it.”



“And have you?” There was something deadly and too grave about his voice and Buffy started to realize why Spike was so terrified.



“I will. I’m going to today, just thought you should know about things before anything goes down. Don’t want you to be out of the loop and clueless if they call you to identify my body.”



“Spike!”



“William!”



Buffy shook her head and brought her other hand to cover their joined ones trying to remain calm. Giles wasn’t so able to restrain himself.



“You’re not doing this again, are you? Getting into these bloody situations and not being able to get out, because we’ve come too damn far for you to do this to us... to do it to yourself.”



Spike looked at the ground. “I’m not... I think Dru’s back in town and I didn’t know. Xander got hurt, and now Willow, and she thinks.... I’m not questioning it. This is just revenge. I haven’t seen her since that night and I don’t know why she chose now but she did. I’m taking care of it. I swear.”



Giles sat and drank his tea for a moment silently before looking back at his son. “Do you need anything? Help from anyone? I can call in a few favors.”



“No, I want this to be done. I need to do it. I need...” Spike shook his head and Giles looked over at Buffy.



“I understand, son, I do. I’m glad you came to talk to me. I want to help you, but only if you need it. Remember pride goeth-”



“Before the fall, yeah I remember.”



They were all silent for a moment before Giles looked over at Buffy again. “So, Buffy, where did you meet William?”



***



They left the house amid Buffy and Giles’ laughter and Spike’s groans.



“I bloody hate it when he starts with those stories.”



Buffy grinned up at him and leaned against him as they walked to the car. It was much later in the afternoon and they were both surprised that they had stayed so long. Buffy was happy that things had turned out like they did. She really liked Spike’s father, and he seemed to like her. She could see that the events of the past had left a big impression on both of the men, but it had worked out for the best. They could respect one another, and be there to help if need be.



They got into the car and Spike stuck the key in the ignition but then stopped and looked at Buffy. “I have to go.”



The grin faded and she looked down at their hands, they hadn’t really been separated all day. Now he was going off to do something they sounded way too dangerous for her tastes and there was no way she would be able to go along. She could handle herself, she was sure of it, but they would only distract each other, and that could result in bigger problems than worry.



“I know. Just-”



“I’m coming back whole. I swear to you.”



“You better.”



He pulled her to him and kissed her fiercely. “You know I love you too bloody much to stay away. I’ll be fine, and once Dru knows what’s what, we can live our lives. Everybody can, without worry about going out at night. It’s fucking ridiculous, watchin’ our backs like this. Makes me crazy.”



She smoothed the furrow from his brow with her hand and he leaned into it. “Just you focus on getting back. If things get too hectic, get out.”



He nodded and they kissed again before he started the engine and began the drive back home.



***



Spike’s lips were still tingling from the kiss Buffy gave him before he dropped her off when he reached the place he’d heard Dru was staying. He still had a few people loyal to him in that circle, and now he was glad he’d kept those contacts. Spending the night searching for her wasn’t something he wanted to do. The sooner he got back to Buffy, the sooner he’d be able to rest assured that he could keep his family safe.



He parked his car a few houses away from the one he’d be going into. The cops knew him well enough, he didn’t need to be picked up for being seen in the wrong place at the wrong time.



He could feel the dread begin to creep up on him the closer he got to her. He hadn’t seen her since he’d murdered Angel, and that memory still nearly brought him to his knees. It didn’t help that he’d never really had any closure with Dru. Sure, seeing her willingly fuck the man who’d been raping him for a year was a pretty good way to kill any mood, but it left him unsatisfied, he hated that.



He didn’t bother knocking before he entered. He could hear people in the basement and he walked in and saw her sitting with a few others he didn’t recognize. He didn’t account for the effect of seeing her again. The emotions that ran through him were volatile and hit him hard. He nearly staggered under the weight of it, but he managed to keep a cool facade.



“William. I knew you’d come.”



“Why are you here, Dru?”



“Come give me a proper hello and I’ll tell you all my secrets.”



“Can’t, luv.”



She studied him for a moment and then smiled. “Ahh yes, little girl surrounding you now. I can see her floating all around you. You’re covered in her.”



“He’s all over you. You’re dirty, William.”



He shook his head and looked at her again. “I didn’t come to make small talk. Get out of here.”



“Now, William-”



“Get out, or I will make you get out.”



She stood and gestured vaguely to those around her and they seemed to understand. They gathered up a few bottles and some small packets and left the room closing the door behind them. She walked toward him and wrapped her arms around his neck. He stiffened but didn’t pull away. He couldn’t.



“I want you to say something for me, and then I’ll go.”



He looked at her warily. “What?”



“Tell me,” she whispered in his ear making him shudder, “that you don’t,” her tongue darted out to lick his earlobe, “love me anymore.”



He jerked back and she smiled. “Fuck you.”



“Maybe.”



He pushed her away and walked to the door with his back to her. “Don’t play these fucking head games with me. Just get out and I won’t do anything drastic.”



“Like murder?”



He closed his eyes and she moved behind him, molding herself to his body. “Dru, please...”



“Please what? This?” She reached in front of him and caressed his cock through his jeans. It jumped against her fingers and he hated himself.



“Stop it.”



“I don’t think that’s what you really want.” She didn’t move her hand and he didn’t stop her. Couldn’t. “The little girl doesn’t satisfy you like I do. She doesn’t know what makes you hard. What makes you beg and come until you can’t see straight. I do.”



She bit his neck hard and grabbed him more firmly. He couldn’t help his bodies reaction to her, she always had him in her thrall.



“Don’t. I’m not playing here.”



“Neither am I, sweet William. You’ve been so so naughty. Killing Daddy, fucking Daddy, trying to forget about us, but we’re always there. Always inside you. You still love us, still need us to fill you up and remind you how dirty you really are.” She pressed herself closer and he couldn’t help but moan. “Disgusting boy.”



He couldn’t help the tears that fell from his eyes and he couldn’t help the way his cock sprung to life at her words. He forced his hand to remove her from the front of his pants and pull himself away.



He leaned against the door panting and she watched him. “I can’t... you’ve trained me well, baby. And I may not be able to tell you no in so many words...”



“Tell me you don’t love-”



“Shut-up!” Love you, love you, always love you, you fucking heartless bitch!



“You’ve got one bloody hour. Get your shit and get the fuck out of my town or I’m going to make you regret it. I couldn’t hurt you myself, Dru, but there are other ways.”



He fought the instinct to turn around and bury himself in her and walked out to his car. He managed to drive to a parking lot close by before he pressed his head to steering wheel and wept. He hated her, hated her so much it made him want to vomit.



He hated her because he couldn’t stop loving her, because there was this little poncey shit inside him that needed her around to make him feel needed, even if he was just needed to make her feel superior. He slammed his hands against the dashboard as he raged until his voice was hoarse from screaming and his head ached and his eyes itched. He hated that not even Buffy could make the need for Dru go away.



“There is something so seriously fucking wrong with you, mate.”



He looked down at the clock and saw that her hour was up. He picked up his cell phone and dialed. “Hello, yes... I need to report some drug activity, maybe even more in my neighborhood.”



***


He made it back home after midnight. He’d gone by Dru’s on the way back and saw the cop cars. Stupid bitch couldn’t heed his advice, she could get carted away for all he cared. He fought back any guilt he felt and tried to seem presentable as he pulled into the drive. Buffy was halfway down the walk before he even fully got out of his car.



He stood up and she jumped into his arms. They held each other tightly without words for a while before he put her down and she checked him over for any injuries. He refused to meet her eyes and she figured he was still a little upset about the whole thing.



“Do you want to talk?”



“She’s in jail now I think. Didn’t really check, but she’s gone either way.”



He didn’t elaborate anymore on his meeting with her and Buffy didn’t ask sensing that he needed to leave it alone for a while. She pulled him inside and he went along willingly, hoping she didn’t make a big deal about his demeanor. She didn’t.



They were silent, and it wasn’t entirely uncomfortable. They stripped and got into bed without a word. Buffy was a little hesitant to touch Spike as he seemed a little distant, but after a few moments of them lying on their backs staring at the ceiling a foot away from each other, Spike turned and pulled her against him, burying his face in her neck and inhaling before he let out a choked sob.



Buffy pulled him closer and whispered whatever came to mind to help him. She kissed his temple when she felt him calm down a bit and start to fall asleep.



“I love you, Spike.”



He swallowed hard and held in the pain that statement caused him after what he’d done to her. “I love you too. I just want to be a good man for you.”



“You are, Spike.”



He didn’t argue, just held her closer and drifted off to sleep hoping that if he never saw Dru again, he’d never have to deal with her legacy.



“Idiot wind, blowing through the buttons of our coats,
Blowing through the letters that we wrote.
Idiot wind, blowing through the dust upon our shelves,
We're idiots, babe.
It's a wonder we can even feed ourselves.”






 

Cold Irons Bound by lucky021

A/N: More soon, please, please review. Chapters come sooner.



I'm beginning to hear voices and there's no one around
Well, I'm all used up and the fields have turned brown
I went to church on Sunday and she passed by
My love for her is taking such a long time to die

I'm waist deep, waist deep in the mist
It's almost like, almost like I don't exist
I'm twenty miles out of town, in cold irons bound


***


Oh, the winds in Chicago have torn me to shreds
Reality has always had too many heads
Some things last longer than you think they will
There are some kind of things you can never kill

It's you and you only, I'm been thinking about
But you can't see in and it's hard lookin' out
I'm twenty miles out of town in cold irons bound


-Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound



The weeks passed quickly after the episode with Dru and after that night Spike tried to push her as far out of his mind as he could and focus on Buffy. Things on that front were going well, though getting increasingly frustrating. They'd come close to consummating things but something always stopped them. Either their own insecurities or knocks at the door. It was getting to the point where they were sure that their housemates were purposely interrupting.



They continued to sleep in the same bed every night, however much they were tempting fate by doing so. Spike really couldn't stand to be alone the week after Dru and Buffy didn't really want to leave and after that it just became an unspoken thing between them.



There was a constant barrage of questions from their friends. Neither of the blondes were giving any clues though. They were unaware of the betting going on behind their backs. Anya and Willow were sure they were having sex but Tara and Xander knew better. The stakes were getting pretty high, and if the couple in question weren't so caught up in each other they would have noticed the pointed stares and inquisitive eyes whenever they stepped out of the bedroom.



It was a week before Winter break and Buffy was getting more and more anxious about her plans. Spike hadn’t mentioned anything and she wondered if maybe they were just staying at the house. If he did want to go somewhere she wasn’t sure she could afford it. With so much school she’d had to cut back on her hours and she was scraping by with the rent and other necessities.



Spike on the other hand was just as nervous about the break but for a different reason. He wanted to ask Buffy to come with him to New York with Willow and Tara, and possibly Xander and Anya for Christmas but he wasn’t sure if she would agree to stay with him during the holidays instead of her family. He hadn’t gone a Christmas without his father and Willow, barring his time with Dru, since Willow had come to live with him and he didn’t ever want to miss one again. Especially with his improving, though tentatively, relationship with his father.



They were laying in bed four days before school ended and both were stiff as boards on their backs with their arms lightly brushing each other.



“Buffy?”



“Yeah?”



Spike propped himself up on his elbow so that he could see her face. “I was thinking...”



“Yes?”



“Maybe... if you don’t have other plans... My father owns this place in Woodstock, you know, New York... We usually go up there for Christmas...” He paused and tried to gauge her reaction but he couldn’t read her. “I want you to come with me... If you’ve got something else it’s ok, I get it, I mean-”



“Spike, yes of course.” She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him down to kiss him passionately.



He pulled back and looked at her. “Yeah?”



“Of course, silly, what did you think I would say?”



“Well, I don’t know, family and stuff.”



Buffy stared at his chest trying not to let the tears that were forming fall. Finally she got herself under control and looked up at him. “This is my family, Spike. You and everybody here, and your father, he’s so sweet and welcoming. I’ve never felt so at home since...”



She trailed off and he pulled her to him gently knowing that her mother’s death still hit her hard sometimes. “I know, baby. Shh..”



She squeezed him and then leaned back. “I’m ok.” They remained on their sides tracing patterns on the other’s skin until they were both completely fine. “Wait, Spike. New York, I don’t think I can aff-”



“Shh. I’ve got it, luv.”



“Spike-”



“No, no arguments, it doesn’t hurt me to buy you a ticket. My dad pays for Xander and Anya every year, I can take care of you.”



“Yeah, but Xander’s like his other son, and Anya-”



“Is like that son’s girlfriend. What do you think you are, pet?”



She looked at him and smiled shyly. “Is that what you told him?”



Spike kissed her and rolled them until he was on top. “Bloody hell, Buffy, what did you think, I was just desperate to shag you so I poured my whole soul out to you? I love you.”



“I know, it’s just... We never really established anything.” She looked up at him and kissed the incredulous look off his face. “Nevermind, just kiss me.”



Spike obliged and before they really understood what was happening Buffy’s t-shirt was off and Spike’s face was between her legs. She gripped his hair in her hands and tried to keep her cries quiet knowing how thin the walls were. That or Anya had super-sensitive hearing.



“Spike... ohhh God, please...”



He looked up and grinned, two of his fingers still pumping inside her. “Please what, baby?”



Buffy thrashed her head from side to side as his thumb played with her clit, his mouth descending every few seconds to aid his hand. “You... I want... I want you inside me.. please, your....”



Spike gripped his cock and tried not to come at her words. “My what?” he managed to gasp out.



“Buffy looked him directly in the eyes and put her palm to his cheek. “Your cock... I want it inside me.”



Spike groaned and moved up her body kissing every part he could find on his way. “Buffy, fucking hell... what you do to me...”



He positioned his cock at her entrance and kissed her. She thrust her hips up and he nearly slipped inside, but something held him off. “Fuck...”



“Yes, fuck me..”



“No, wait, Buffy.”



She looked up at him and he reached over to rummage around in his bedside drawer. He started to look panicked and Buffy sat up to help him. “You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.”



“It’s ok, just pull out.”



Spike shook his head and kissed her. “I want to be inside you... when...”



Buffy sighed and nodded. She didn’t exactly envision their first time together to be like this anyway, frenzied and spontaneous. Spike rolled off of her and stayed on his back panting and trying to calm himself. His cock was really going to kill him this time, he couldn’t remember being harder for her, or anyone.



Buffy straddled him suddenly and he looked up at her questioningly. She reached for his cock and propped herself above him. He thought she was going to impale herself on him and sod the consequences and he reached for her hips but she just began to stroke him while rubbing the head around her clit, stimulating them both.



“Oh, fuck...”



“There are... other.. things...” she said panting above him. Her hand that was on his shaft stopped stroking and moved down between his cheeks. He groaned loudly and thrust his hips up bumping her clit harder and causing her to cry out loudly.



“Do you have anything?”



He grinned and took her questing finger. He slid it from him and into her gathering as much of he essence as he could. She was barely holding on at this point and he was glad. As soon as her dainty little finger found its way up his ass he’d be lost. He moved her finger back between his legs and she smiled at him.



“I’m gonna cum very soon if you do that, sweet.”



Buffy just rubbed herself against him faster and began sliding her finger inside him.



“Ahhhhh, Buffy, fuck!” He pumped his hips against her hand and she began to quiver above him. The sight of her ecstasy blew him over the edge. “Buffy, I’m... fuckfuckfuck..I love you, Buffy!”



“Spike!” Her orgasm hit her as she angled his cock toward her stomach and rubbed against the shaft. He cried out her name as well and shot all over the both of them. Buffy collapsed against his chest panting.



“You’re fucking amazing... never seen anything so bloody beautiful...”



Buffy couldn’t speak just nodded against his neck and caught her breath.



“Spike?”



“Hmm?”



“Woodstock?”



He opened his eyes to look at her but she still had hers closed. “Yeah?”



“No interruptions, and I’m going on the damn pill.”



He chuckled and pulled her closer. The remained together like that until the sweat on their bodies began to cool them off too quickly. Spike moved to pull the sheets around them but Buffy sat up and looked between them. They stared at themselves for a moment before they both broke out in giggles.



“Made a bit of a mess, I guess.”



“A bit?!”



Spike tackled her onto her back and pulled the sheet over to clean her off. “Hey, you’re the one with the bright idea of pleasuring yourself with my cock. How could you expect me to hold off, especially when you do that wriggling with your finger?”



She giggled again and he leaned down to kiss her. “We should change the sheets.”



Spike finished cleaning himself and raised an eyebrow. “You think?”



She stared at him for a moment before he sighed. “You’ve got to be kidding.”



“Please... I’m so tired and I have to get up early, and you just wore me out.”



He sat up and pulled on his jeans before looking back at her. “This how it’s gonna be, me your willing slave?”



She got onto her knees on the bed and he came to her so she could wrap her arms around his neck. “Mmmm, I like the sound of that,” she said before she kissed him.



He snorted and walked to the door. “I just bet you do.”



***


“Xand?”



Xander looked up to see Spike at his door. He smiled and gestured for him to come in. Spike closed the door behind him and sat on the bed.



“What’s up, man?”



Spike fidgeted a bit with the bedspread and Xander realized that this was serious talk time. “You and Anya are comin’ to Woodstock, right?”



Xander sat down next to his friend and put a hand on his shoulder. “Yeah, of course. What’s wrong?”



Spike shrugged and Xander sighed. “Come on, tell the Xan-man all your problems.”



Spike snorted but remained otherwise silent and Xander put a hand on his cheek to force the blonde to face him. “What is it, something with Buffy?”



Spike kept his eyes down. “I think... She’s coming for Christmas, and I think we’re gonna...” Spike saw that Xander had no idea so he sighed and continued. “We haven’t had sex yet, I think we will on the trip.”



“Oh yeah, not so broke after all.”



“What?”



“Nothing, nevermind. Ok, so you two are gonna do the horizontal tango, so what? She’s not a virgin is she?”



Spike shook his head. “No, it’s not that... Xander...”



Xander saw the look in Spike’s eyes and understood. A flash of guilt stabbed through him. He and Tara were just as, if not more responsible for Spike’s insecurities as Dru, and it killed him.



“Spike...”



“I know, I know. It’s different now... I just... it’s like she’s really the one, y’know? Like, she’s more important to me than anything, and I’ve never felt this way about anyone. Not Tara, not Dru...” He looked at Xander and the brunette looked away, irrationally jealous and annoyed with himself.



“Spike, what are you worried about. She told you she loves you, long before, with not ulterior motives. She wants to wait, she wants it to work. Maybe you’ve never felt this way because no one’s ever really given you a chance to.” We fucked it all up and I’m so sorry, so fucking sorry, Will.



“I’m not doubting her. She’s wonderful, so understanding and I know she loves me, I believe her when she says it, really believe her and I always had a doubt when anyone else told me, even Tara. Guess instinct was helping me out, though I didn’t listen.”



“Well if it’s not her, then what is it?”



Spike leaned forward and buried his face in his hands. “Dru.”



That was the last thing Xander expected to hear. That bitch was long gone and good riddance last he heard. “What about her?”



Spike just shook his head and Xander noticed the rest of him was shaking as well. “Will?”



“She touched me and I let her... I wanted her to... I wanted.... Fuck I don’t even know!”



Xander rubbed a hand up and down Spike’s back and tried to understand. “When you say-”



“I didn’t do anything, I just... just let her get to me.” Spike’s voice cracked and he felt the tears he’d been holding in for weeks find their way out. “She has this power over me. I can’t walk away from her, I can’t tell her no. Fucking hell, she gets me hard with a few words and the feel of her against me. If she wasn’t gone... I don’t know where I’d be.”



Xander pulled his friend up and into his embrace as Spike sobbed out his secrets and fears. “I love Buffy, with everything I am, everything I have anyway... But Dru owns some part of me, she’s got me under her bloody thumb and I can’t get away.”



“Shh, it’s ok, she’s gone.”



“If she ever comes back... I let her do those things to you and Tara and Willow, I didn’t want to believe it was her. I didn’t want to have to hurt her, fuck I feel guilty every day that I think about where she is, what she must be going through.”



“Jesus Christ, Will, the woman fucked with your head and let you get the shit kicked out of you, not to mention fucked out of you for a year. She damn near killed you and now you’re saying you feel guilty for giving her over to the cops. She got off easy.”



Spike buried his face in Xander’s shirt and his sobs didn’t lessen. “I want her... I want her so badly... I’m not a man without her.”



“Xander pulled back and forced Spike to look at him. “William, you are a man, you are loved and you love and you are good. You get around her and she makes you like getting kicked around but it’s just a headfuck, it’s not real. You don’t like being used.”



Spike remembered the absolute bliss he felt in her cold embrace. He remembered her words [disgusting, wrong, dirty, filthy, stupid, beneath me] and they made him hard.



“Xander...”



“Will, stop it.” Spike looked at Xander for a moment before he collapsed again almost hysterical.



“I’m sorry, so so sorry... God I don’t deserve her, I’m so fucked, what can I offer her?”



“William, listen to me.” Spike looked up and Xander cupped his cheeks with his hands. “You love her, and when you love someone, they know that they’re the center of your universe and it feels so good, so safe there. You don’t let them down, you give them everything you have, even if it’s a little damaged now, it’s worth just as much. You’re hurt and in pain and you’ve got a lot of problems right now, but it’s only been a year, Will. You’ve only been away from Dru and all that stuff for a year, and you haven’t had a real relapse. You let Dru get to you for a moment, but you stopped it, you turned her in, and she can’t hurt us anymore. You deserve better, and Buffy’s gonna teach you that.”



Xander kissed his friend softly and tried to convey how sorry he was for starting Spike down this road in the first place.



“Don’t blame yourself, Xand. I make my own choices.”



“I know, but-”



“No buts. You’re a good friend, and I love you.”



“Love you too, Will.”



Spike stood up and looked in the mirror trying to make himself look more presentable so that Buffy wouldn’t ask what had happened. “I had to tell someone, Xand, just couldn’t hold it in anymore. You’re the only one who understands.”



“I’m always here, Will, always.”



Spike nodded and walked out to meet Buffy.

Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 by lucky021

A/N: This chapter deals with recreational drug use portrayed in a pleasant light, so if that bothers you, sorry, skip it I guess. So so so so sorry about the wait. Moving and birthdays and stress make for no writing, but I’m all settled and aged now, so I should get back to normal. Thanks so much for all the reviews, please continue, I hope the wait didn’t cause everyone to abandon this.



Well, they'll stone ya when you're trying to be so good,
They'll stone ya just a-like they said they would.
They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to go home.
Then they'll stone ya when you're there all alone.
But I would not feel so all alone,
Everybody must get stoned.


-Bob Dylan, Rainy Day Women #12 & 35



It was the day before everyone was leaving for Woodstock, and the home they all shared could more accurately be described as an insane asylum. Buffy hadn't realized that the rest of her housemates were just as big into procrastination as she was until everyone woke up moaning and groaning that morning about having to pack in just and take care of all their affairs in one day.



It seemed the only person even remotely responsible was Willow who had cancelled their paper delivery and taken care of the mail. Spike ran about their room, well really his room, but Buffy had basically moved in over the past few weeks and only a few things and her furniture were left in her old room, he couldn't manage to sit still and plan out his packing. He could walk back and forth fifty times between the same place only moving one thing at a time because he couldn't seem to organize it in his head. After his tenth refusal to do things the easy way Buffy gave up and went to see Willow and Tara.



By six o'clock that evening, they were pretty much set and Buffy was glad of that. She had some important questions for the couple and with Spike preoccupied with his clothes, Buffy could get away without him really noticing.



She knocked on their door softly and they invited her in sitting her on the bed between them.



"So I guess you two know then?"



Willow barely restrained herself from bouncing on the bed. "Yep, I think Spike told Xander, and he can't keep a secret for the life of him, besides, we all had to know who owed who money."



"What?"



Tara shook her head as Willow glanced down at her lap sheepishly. "Please don't tell me everyone was betting on my sex life."



One look at them both and Buffy sighed. "This place is insane, is nothing sacred?"



Tara grinned and placed a hand on Buffy's arm. "No, not really, especially not when it comes to sex, you did happen to choose the person that everyone's most concerned about right now to be with as well, that kind of means something too."



Willow's vibrating reached its peak and finally she began fully bouncing. "But we know that's not what you're here to talk about, so spill, what are the plans, or is that what you need to ask?"



Buffy fidgeted with the comforter. "I'm just not exactly sure how to go about it."



"What do you mean?"



"Well, I mean, we both said that it would be on this trip, and let me tell you, we're more than ready.. It's just, we've waited this long, all because we wanted it to be perfect, and now I'm not sure what perfect is. Do I plan something? Is he planning something? Should it just be spontaneous? What if we're interrupted? What if it's not perfect? I mean he's probably-"



Tara put a firm hand on Buffy's shoulder and turned her to face her. "Buffy, calm down. You two have been trying so hard to make everything work, and you've succeeded. You've made Will happier than I've ever seen him. He practically shouted it from the rooftops the morning after you told him you loved him. You really can't go wrong, because when it happens between you two, I know it's going to be explosive. If the sounds coming from your guys' room all the time are any indication, that is."



Buffy took a deep breath and nodded.



"Besides," Willow added, "Spike loves you more because of you than because of anything else, including the sex. He's placing a lot of weight on this moment, you both are, that's because it's a huge step, but you guys seem to know your way around, and you love each other, you just need to decide what makes you the most comfortable."



"That's the problem, I just don't know. I want him to see that this time is different from any other."



She avoided Tara's gaze, but her friend continued to stroke her back softly. "Buffy, I know I'm part of the reason this is such a trial, so you don't have to pretend. I really want it to be different for him to, good for him."



"Well, do you think he likes the whole seduction approach?"



"Do you?"



Buffy shrugged. "I guess, I mean, yeah, I'd like to let him know that I went to some work to make it special, but I'm afraid we'll get there and I won't be able to keep my hands off of him. We just said Woodstock, we didn't specify a time."



Tara and Willow grinned at each other over Buffy's head. They remembered how hard it was to keep away from each other once the burden of perfect timing was gone. "I think you'll be ok. Just focus on getting there, helping Spike pack is always a chore, and we'll take care of the you not jumping him the second we're off the plane, ok?"



Buffy smiled at Willow and squeezed her hand. "Ok, self-control, here I come. I'm glad you guys are here to help."



"Any time... just please, keep it in the bedroom, I've seen Spike in ways no sister should have to see her brother one too many times. I have faith you have more tact than Anya."



Buffy stood. "Tact, check."



***



Buffy and Spike had no time to discuss much about the trip before falling into an exhausted heap at two in the morning. They shifted and flopped to get comfortable before Spike buried his face in Buffy's hair and started to snore. Buffy didn't have any time to be disappointed as she was out only seconds behind him.



The next morning was a haze of half-asleep loading into a cab, sleeping on the way, more zombie like loading at the airport and then collapsing again into their seats in the plane. Spike and Buffy fastened themselves in then snuggled under a blanket falling back to sleep in the middle of the safety lecture.



Buffy awoke around noon as the plane was getting ready to land. She wrapped her arms more firmly around Spike's body and was almost asleep when she shifted and felt his sleepy-time hard on poking into her arm. She grinned at the contented look on his face and glanced around the cabin. They were in the very back of the plane with Anya and Xander in the seats across the aisle and Tara and Willow in front of them, and lucky for Spike, all asleep.



Buffy moved her hand to cover the bulge in his jeans and with her other hand pulled the blanket so that it covered them completely. She made a little coughing noise as she unzipped him and he stirred but didn't wake. She could feel his cock getting harder under her ministrations as she stroked him from top to bottom sweeping her thumb over the head on the down stroke.



The arm Spike had around her tightened suddenly and she knew he was awake. He didn't open his eyes but let his head fall over to rest on her shoulder, his mouth next to her ear.



"Naughty, naughty," he whispered, causing a pool of moisture between her legs.



His hand moved to the seam of her jeans but she shook her head. "Not enough time, just let me take care of you." She could feel his pout against her cheek and she smiled. "Make it up to me later."



He nodded and his hand slid from between her legs to cover her smaller hand around his dick. He squeezed and gasped into her ear. "Fuck, Buffy..." They stroked him together hard but slow and he had trouble controlling his breathing. She loved having him at her mercy like this, but she knew he loved it more.



"Yes, baby, harder, fuck.... Gonna make you scream later, make love to you all night, never gonna let you outta bed." He bit her earlobe, more to keep from moaning than anything. He loved guiding her movements, their fingers entwined around his straining cock, and the thought of what he was going to do when they finally got to the house was making it harder for him not to thrust into their fists while pumping without abandon.



They moved their hands faster as the plane began to descend and the fasten seatbelt sign came on. "Please, baby, please..." Buffy pulled back and grinned before kissing him lightly. Her other hand reached under the blanket to gather some of his precum on her finger. She brought it to her lips and sucked it off in the sexiest way she knew how.



His eyes closed and he threw his head back. "Now, Buffy, oh fuck, now!" She grabbed some tissues from the pouch in the seat in front of her and pumped his cock twice more before he exploded.



He kissed her hard and left her gasping before he helped her to clean him off and tuck him back in. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close kissing every inch of flesh he could fine. "You're bloody amazing love, just bloody perfect."



Buffy kissed him softly then settled her head against his shoulder. "Just wait til I get you in bed tonight."



He moved her hand to the newly hardening bulge in his pants. "More talk like that, sweets, and I won't be able to."



***



Giles was at the airport to pick everyone up with a rented van. Anya knew the second she woke up and saw Spike and Buffy with their, what she dubbed, "orgasm smiles" on, that something had gone down on the plane. Of course, neither would give her the satisfaction of an admission.



Spike let Buffy sit next to the window on the drive, pointing out some placed he and Willow would frequent whenever they came back. The scenery was breathtaking, especially for someone who had never been off the West coast and seen real snow in action in the trees and mountains. Buffy loved it, and she loved Spike’s commentary, she had a feeling this was going to be one hell of a trip.



***



The second everyone had been settled and Spike and Buffy had tentatively started into a little of the payback Spike had promised, Willow and Giles called everyone downstairs for dinner. Spike slumped against Buffy, his head on her bare stomach.



“I really think, pet, that we are doomed to never catch a bloody break.”



Buffy giggled and ran her fingers through his hair. “Soon enough, baby, I’m not letting anything get in the way when the time comes. They’ll have to break down the door and pry me off of you once we really get started.”



Spike grinned and began kissing his way up her body, paying much attention to her straining nipples. “Wanna see if they’ll actually do it?”



Buffy moaned but forced herself to pull his head up. “Not before dinner, your Dad and Willow made it special for the first night, I’ll feel bad.”



Spike pouted for a second but then kissed her quickly and rolled off to find his shirt while she buttoned up her own. He finally found it and pulled it on before hauling her off the bed.



“Eat fast.”



***



Spike didn’t seem so rushed once everyone began eating and Buffy was glad. She liked being here with everyone, it really felt like family and she missed that feeling more than she cared to admit. Spike and Willow bickered as only siblings can and Xander was continually embarrassed by Anya’s detailed descriptions of some of their more intimate moments, including some of the really amusing times when things didn’t go exactly as planned for them.



Anya didn’t mention any moments with Spike, and Buffy wasn’t sure if that was because Giles didn’t know about that particular arrangement, or that she had actually remembered to use some tact and didn’t want to hurt Buffy.



They finished dinner and Willow and Xander brought out some pie for dessert along with some tea and more wine. Spike kept his hand on Buffy’s leg under the table, tracing patterns on her inner thigh with his thumb in a way that kept her on a slow burn for him.



Occasionally he’d lean over to whisper something naughty or otherwise in her ear, but either way, his mouth that close and his warm breath on her neck were making it impossible to not crave him in a bad way. She was sure he knew it, and she was even surer that she didn’t need to retaliate in any way for him to be as tortured as she was.



The look in his eyes was enough to tell her everything.



After dessert everyone seemed to be under silent agreement to start putting on their coats and going outside to the backyard. Buffy pulled Spike aside and he grinned pinning her against the wall in the darkened hallway.



“Good dinner, pet?” he asked, ducking to begin licking and biting at her neck.



“Mmm...” Buffy was momentarily brain dead as his mouth turned her from slow, soft burn, to completely on fire. She managed to break through the lusty haze and push him back a bit. “Wait, I mean... What is everyone doing?”



Spike looked back and saw that everyone had already made their way outside. “Oh, got a surprise, luv. Kind of a tradition, you don’t have to participate if you don’t want.”



“What is it?”



He grinned and kissed her softly. “Wouldn’t be a surprise if I told you, would it?”



Buffy eyed him warily but allowed him to slip her coat on and wrap her scarf around her neck. He grabbed her hand and pulled her outside toward a small building. As she got closer she could see it was a greenhouse, now she was really confused.



Spike stopped her just outside and turned to face her. “If anything makes you uncomfortable, pet, we can leave, yeah? Just tell me, and no one’s gonna think less of you.”



“Now I’m really intrigued.”



He wrapped his arms around her from behind and pushed open the door. “Hope you’ll be really pleased.”



They stepped inside and the door shut behind them. Buffy saw the whole group gathered in a circle on the far side gesturing for them to join. She still didn’t understand until she looked around and noticed what kind of plants they were growing in this greenhouse.



“You grow weed here?”



Spike faced her, trying to gauge her reaction. “Yeah, kind of a nice after dinner thing, y’know?”



Buffy could tell he was really worried about her reaction and she eased his fears with a kiss. “I’m not mad or freaked or anything, just surprised.”



“You didn’t tell her what we were doing?” Anya yelled from the back.



Spike looked sheepish. “Thought it’d be an interesting surprise.”



“William, she could feel very pressured, son.”



Buffy realized then that Giles was there too, before she’d even had a toke her mind was blown.



Spike saw the surprise on her face and couldn’t help but laugh, he’d been pretty shocked too when his dad hadn’t reprimanded he and Willow for their cultivation and instead joined them.



“I don’t know if you’ve ever smoked, but you don’t-”



“I haven’t,” she said interrupting him. “But I think now’s as good a time as any to start.” She pulled him with her into the circle next to Giles and smiled at the faced around her. Spike pulled her close to him and kissed her neck before taking the pipe from Willow and handing it to Buffy.



“Greens for greens, sweet.”



“I dont’ know-”



Spike stood behind her and placed the mouth of the pipe at her lips. “Lemme show you. I’ll light it for you, just suck until you feel a little burning at the back of your throat, then take your finger off this hole here and suck it all in.”



“That’s all?”



“Well, hold your breath until you can’t and then exhale. And you might cough, but don’t worry, I’ve got you.”



Anya rolled her eyes at him. “Stop trying to be romantic and just light it already.”



Spike glared at her and looked at Buffy who nodded and placed her lips on the pipe. As she had no experience with any kind of smoking she sucked in a bit much and did cough a little, but Spike patted her back and they all cheered as she let out a huge cloud of smoke.



She smiled back with watery eyes and handed the pipe to Spike. He took a long hit and exhaled the biggest cloud of smoke Buffy had ever seen come out a person. He smiled at the look on her face and shrugged. “Lots of practice, baby.”



He handed it Giles and Buffy would have been watching in fascination as the older man took a very British hit if Spike hadn’t been doing something amazing involving his tongue and her ear. When the pipe made its way back to them, Buffy was little more than a quivering pile of lust in Spike’s arms, and not a little giggly.



The entire top few feet of the greenhouse were full of smoke and everyone was feeling the effects to a certain extent. Buffy as a newbie was a little higher than everyone else, but no one was really paying attention. All the couples were a little more affectionate, and Giles was more than amusing Buffy with his attempts at cleaning his glasses with Willows shirt sleeve.



“C’mere, luv,” Spike whispered as he turned her in his arms so that she was facing him. “Wanna try something new?”



“I think this is the night for that, don’t you?” She rubbed her hips against him to let him know she wasn’t just talking about the little greenhouse expedition.



“Again with the romancing the girl thing, either take a hit or pass it on.”



Xander smiled dreamily at Anya and pulled her closer to him. “Nice to see some things never change, Ahn.” She turned and grinned back at him before kissing him soundly.



Spike rolled his eyes and then looked back down at Buffy. “I’m gonna take a hit, then I’m gonna kiss you and you’re gonna take a hit from me, get it?”



Buffy nodded and smiled. Spike lit up and then bent to capture Buffy’s lips in a deep kiss. Some smoke escaped the out the sides but Buffy caught on quick and managed to get most of it. They broke the kiss when Buffy needed to exhale and she giggled.



“Like that, pet?”



She nodded. “It’s like those commercials where the people kiss with the icy stuff and then they blow out to cold air, you know what I mean?”



Spike smiled. “Yeah, baby, just like those.”



They kissed again and Buffy could feel just how excited everything had gotten Spike. She didn’t think he knew how hard he was pressing himself into her. She broke the kiss and turned around in his arms to face the others.



“Umm, Spike and I, we have to, uhh.... Well I was saying how I wanted to get up early and go look around, so we should probably get some sleep.”



Anya didn’t look impressed, Xander looked a little clueless, Tara and Willow were trying not to jump for joy, and Giles was trying not to look at them at all.



“Uhh, yeah, bye all.” Spike hauled Buffy out of the greenhouse and attacked her neck with kisses once they were outside.



“Could you tell, baby, just how hot you get me. Your little mouth, little hands, little body pressed up against mine. So fucking adorable with that pipe and your little coughs.”



Buffy couldn’t help but giggle at his rambling. “Let’s get upstairs, Romeo, before my little coughs tempt you to take me up against the greenhouse.”



“Yes, house good, bedroom better, bed, best... Buffy?”



“Yeah?”



“I love you.”



She stopped and kissed him. “Come and show me how much.”



***

To Be Alone With You by lucky021

A/N: So here it is, they finally make it to the bedroom without interruptions. I figure I need to have a few good fun and smutty chapters before the angst returns, so I hope you all enjoy it for now. Thanks so much for all the reviews, and I'm glad people responded positively to the last chapter, I was a bit worried, but now the next few won't be so terrifying to write. Enjoy and review!



To be alone with you
Just you and me
Now won't you tell me true
Ain't that the way it oughta be?
To hold each other tight
The whole night through
Ev'rything is always right
When I'm alone with you.

-Bob Dylan, To Be Alone With You



The way to their bedroom was made with playful kisses touches, and much giggling. Once inside however, the mood changed abruptly. Gone was the excitement and lightheartedness replaced with something they felt much deeper. It was finality and a deep burn inside them that only one thing would satisfy.



Whatever the effect of the pot on Spike, he did not lose any of his coordination as far as Buffy was concerned. His hands were elegant as he began a slow outline of her body through her clothes. She noticed a slight tremor in them once or twice and it made her glad to know that he was as nervous and full of feeling as she was.



Spike was concentrating harder now than he could ever remember doing so. He was terrified, but in a good way. He'd never been sure of anything as he was of Buffy and the rightness of what they were about to consummate. He could have waited forever for her, but right now, with the look in her eyes full of need and wonder, he couldn't hold back.



His hands finally stilled on her waist and he pulled her to him slowly, letting her see how much this all meant to him. She could feel his hardness against her stomach and it excited her, but most of all it made her feel complete. Every move they made was slow and deliberate and Buffy knew now that Willow and Tara were right about perfection, it was just going to happen, just because it was them and it was right.



They paused before they kissed, their lips only millimeters apart, looking into each other's eyes.



"Buffy..."



His whisper was so full of the sweet agony of being apart that Buffy felt keenly in her gut made it impossible for her to wait any longer. The kiss was slow and languorous, just like everything else about this moment. She could taste smoke on him but it was different from his usual taste. This was earthy and clean, like evergreens, made even more intense by the fact that her mouth tasted the same on the surface.



They remained kissing while shirts were unbuttoned and slipped off. She caressed his chest, pausing to rub his nipples into stiff peaks, causing him to gasp, as he removed her bra. As soon as it was off he pulled her close to his chest wanting to feel her bare flesh against his. Their nipples brushing against each other was definitely getting to him if the way his cock jumped at each moment of contact was any indication.



Her hands slid down his back to cup his ass and push him more firmly against her. He groaned again and pulled back searching her face, for what she wasn't sure.



His hand came up to cup the side of her face and she nuzzled his palm. "Do you have any idea how beautiful you are... Your perfect hands, perfect lips," he dipped his head to lick and suck at her breasts, "perfect rosy nipples... And God, everywhere you taste so good..."



He dropped to his knees and unbuttoned her pants, pulling them along with her panties down and allowing her to step out of them with her shoes and socks.



"Gonna worship every bloody inch of you, show you just what a goddess you are." She ran her fingers through his hair as he began at her feet, kissing and licking his way up. By the time he'd reached her knees she wasn't sure she'd be able to stand for much longer. He seemed to understand and stood moving her to the bed and sitting her on the edge so that he could resume his task of tasting every inch of her.



His mouth was open, trailing along her inner thighs and ignoring her throbbing sex as it moved up her hips and to her stomach. She knew he couldn't resist tasting her where she was most potent for long so she allowed him to tease her a bit longer. He kissed up and around her breasts, biting and sucking at her neck and then finally dropping to his knees once more to spread her wide before his hungry gaze.



He stared at her long and hard and she moved to close her legs but he held them. "Fucking gorgeous, luv, nothing like."



Before she could respond he dove in and licked her from top to bottom stopping at her clit and sucking hard, forcing her to fall back on the bed writhing and moaning above him. The longer he worked on her pussy the higher the fire inside her grew until she felt her orgasm barreling in like a freight train and she had to stop him.



"Please, Spike... wait!" She tugged at his hair and he looked up at her questioningly. "I want the first... I want it to be because you're inside me."



She felt him shudder as he tried to control himself, and he kissed her thighs reverently before standing before her. His cock jutted out from his body, curving slightly and weeping at the slit. She moved back to the head of the bed and he crawled up her body, taking his time to stop and kiss or bite in the places he knew drove her wild.



She ran a hand down his body until she reached his cock and stroked him slowly. He braced himself on his forearms and leaned down to kiss her long and deep. The kiss ended and he forced her to look in his eyes and he covered her hand with his own and brought himself to her entrance.



"Love you, Buffy, so much. Tell me you want this."



"Yes, Spike, please, I need it, need you inside me, a part of me." He pushed slowly inside her and she clenched her eyes shut at the mixture of pleasure and pain. It had been a long time since she'd last done this with anyone, and her body had never encountered something as big as he was.



Spike was praying to anyone who would listen for restraint. The second her heat began to envelop him he wanted to shoot off like a rocket. But when he looked down and saw that it wasn't all pleasure on her face he froze.



"Too much, luv? Am I hurting you?"



She could see he was ready to panic and she shook her head, smiling to reassure him. "Just give me a sec and I'll be ready. Go easy."



He nodded and waited for her to thrust her hips up a bit before sliding in further. Eventually he was completely inside her and his eyes crossed with the effort of not cumming then.



Buffy's hands roamed his back and squeezed his ass. "Now I need a second, pet."



She smiled and brought her hands to his face, pulling him down for another kiss. The pain was gone and all she felt now was a slowly coiling ball of pleasure down deep inside her. They began moving together slowly, sweat slicking their movements, groans and gasps filling the air.



Spike rested his forehead against hers as he had many times before and she remembered how safe and intimate that gesture was whenever he was the one doing it.



"Oh, God, Spike! Love you..."



"Yes Buffy, fuck... never stop... love me.. fucking love me..."



His movements sped up and Buffy felt the tightness in her belly reach an unbearable intensity. "Spike, Spike... William!"



She exploded into a million pieces and vaguely heard him follow with a loud moan of her name and warmth drenching her from the inside out. He collapsed on top of her, unable to hold himself up after the intensity of his orgasm. They tried to catch their breath while at the same time caressing and kissing any part of the other they could reach.



Spike came to his senses first and tried to roll off of her but she held him in place. "Don't leave, not yet."



"Pet, I'm crushing you."



"No, I like it, you feel good, just where you are. Safe."



He braced himself on his legs a bit more to reassure himself he wouldn't do her any damage and rested his head on her breasts kissing them sleepily.



"You're the best bloody thing ever happened to me, Buffy. I wish I could tell you, show you just how much... Worth so much more than anything I could give you."



"Shh, you're amazing, and you loving me, that's enough, all I want."



He didn't have any way to tell her what he was feeling, something he'd never felt before. He thought he'd loved her before, but now he couldn't believe he'd ever thought he'd even come close to peaking in his affection for her. He just kissed the space between her breasts lovingly before settling his head down once more and listening to her breathing become steady as she fell asleep. Assured that she was happy, he followed her.



***



Buffy awoke later that night with Spike lapping at her now dripping pussy leisurely. She moaned softly and he looked up with a sleepy grin, made even more adorable and hot by his sex-tousled hair. She reached down and tugged on his locks, urging him to come up to her. His lips were slick with the remnants of her desire and she licked him clean, loving to taste herself on him.



They kissed hungrily until she rolled him onto his back and straddled his chest. She slid her body down, letting her slit slide against his throbbing cock before settling between his legs and spreading them further.



She could hear him panting heavily now, those the only sounds in the room. She ran her hands up and down his thighs slowly, avoiding the area most in need of her touch until he let go a piteous moan. She looked up and smiled slowly.



"What do you want, Spike?"



"God, Buffy, you!"



She shook her head and bent until her breasts could brush against his erection, he thrust up hard and she pulled back.



"What do you want, Spike? What exactly do you want?"



"Just touch me, I don't care with what."



His cock was dripping pearly fluid from the head, she could see every vein outlined along his shaft. "I bet you do, now's your chance baby, I'll give you whatever you want."



Spike's breath hitched in his chest and his cock twitched against his stomach. "Oh, fucking hell, Buffy... I want... I don't know, can't put a man on the spot like this, luv."



The look on his face was priceless, so needy and conflicted, she had to take pity. "Why don't I give you some ideas." He nodded vigorously and she raised his hands up so that they were crossed above his head. "Don't move them. Promise?"



"Y- yes."



"Hmm, where should we start? Bottom or top?"



Spike closed his eyes and groaned. "Oh, luv, that sweet bottom, yes..."



She grinned devilishly and he was tempted to move his hands when she scooted all the way to the bottom of the bed. She moved her feet slowly up his legs until her toes wrapped around his erection and stroked slowly from top to bottom. He groaned and strained against his instinct to thrust into her delightful feet but when she asked him if that was it he shook his head.



"Top then?"



Before he could answer she dove down and took him into her mouth as far as she could.



"Gaah!! Buffy, luv, yes!" She bobbed on his cock a few more times before freeing him and kissing her way up his body.



"Not very original, baby."



"No," he agreed. "More options?"



She kissed him again then straddled him. She positioned his cock at her pussy and sank down slowly. "This," she said, now panting slightly with him, "you get all the time now, I'm not even offering it." She rose off of him, ripping a groan from both of them, but Buffy held strong.



"Hmm? Back up now, yes?" He shook his head but she moved anyhow. She rubbed her breasts against his cock slowly, wrenching a gasp from both of them when her hardened nipples brushed against him. "Would you like to fuck these, Spike? See your cock slide between them, let me lick and suck on you when you pop out for a visit?"



Spike's head was tossing from side to side as he tried to keep from cumming all over her beautiful breasts. "Please... please, let me touch you.."



"Is this what you want?" she asked using the lubricant of her own cum to slick her way.



"Yes, oh fuck yes, just let me touch you."



She laid on her back and pulled him on top of her, bringing his hands to her breasts and clutching his ass. He knelt above her pushing her mounds together around his straining cock and beginning to pump slowly murmuring nonsense hotly above her.



Buffy loved to get Spike worked up to the point where he couldn't even talk dirty in a way that remotely made sense. She rarely saw him lose control but when it happened she reveled in it. Watching him pump slowly at first and now more and more frantically was shooting bolts of pleasure to her pussy without it even being touched.



She began kneading his ass, working her fingers closer and closer to the place she knew would make him shoot off without another thought. He must have realized what she was doing because his ass clenched then relaxed and he slowed his movements to make it easier for her.



Before she could reach her destination he stopped completely and she wondered if she had done something wrong.



"Wait, I want.." He took a deep breath to steady himself and grasped one of her hands, bringing it under one of his legs and placing it behind him on her aching sex. "I want you to bring yourself off with me." He felt her fingers start to move on herself and he sighed. "Yes, luv, ooohh bloody hell, yes..."



He began pumping again, his fingers teasing her nipples in time with his strokes. She angled her head so that she could lick the precum from his cock on each thrust. They moaned and gasped together and both sped up again coming closer and closer to climax. Buffy began stroking his balls and anus making him groan louder and pump harder.



"I want to know, Buffy, want to know when you're ready."



"Spike, ohh God, yes, I'm... do it with me!"



"Tell me, Buffy!"



"Oh, Spike! I love you!"



Spike pulled up abruptly and stroked himself quickly to completion just as Buffy began to shudder beneath him. His cum shot onto her breasts in thick spurts and the sight was enough to keep him cumming longer than he had in a while.



When they were both sated Spike caught himself on the headboard and slid down until he was hovering over her, kissing her deeply, making them both lightheaded with lack of oxygen. Finally, neither could take it any longer and he collapsed next to her, panting hard.



"Fuck."



"Mm-hmm."



Spike smiled and propped himself up on his elbow leaning down to place soft kisses on her sweaty face. "Love you, Buffy," he whispered against her cheek. Their hands moved together to her chest, rubbing his spendings into her skin. "You're so gorgeous like this, all flushed and sticky."



"Sticky?"



"Yeah, with me, all over you. Want to cover you in me."



"Weirdo."



"What, you don't want to claim me for your own?"



"Is that what you're doing?"



He looked down at her trying to figure out if they were headed for an argument or just bantering. "In a non-patriarchal, non-chauvinist kind of way. Want you to cover me too. Starting with this," he whispered, sliding a finger inside her.



She sighed at his touch and nuzzled his shoulder. "Covering good."



He smiled, then he remembered something that had him confused from earlier. "Buffy?"



"Hmm?"



"Earlier.. Why did you... What made you call out for William?"



She stopped her movements against his hand and looked up at him. "Did it bother you?"



His brow furrowed and he shook his head. "Not.. really... I guess, I don't know. Just didn't make much sense to me, you've never done that before."



He rolled onto his back and removed his hand from her but he pulled her hand to his chest, twining their fingers together. It was Buffy's turn to prop herself up and look down into his slightly troubled face.



"Spike?"



"I mean, it's just... Is that, is he who you want?"



"You do realize that you're talking about yourself as if you're two people, right?"



Spike couldn't manage the smile that she was going for and Buffy cupped his cheek with his free hand. "I love you, Spike, William, whoever you are."



"Buffy, he doesn't exist anymore. Little lovesick William said goodbye the second I met Dru."



"You want that back?"



He shrugged. "Sometimes, I feel like maybe he'd be more to your liking. Romantic and sweet but he was weak, always making a right ponce of himself."



"Just because people took advantage of your kindness and love doesn't mean you were wrong to give it."



He was silent and she rested her cheek on his shoulder, turning to kiss his chest and tried to give him as much comfort as she could. "I wish I could make it right."



"I wish I could have been right, for you more than anything."



"Spike.."



"No, Buffy, you know I'm not-"



"Do you think so little of me that I would give so much to someone who didn't deserve it, that I would just throw around something like this with anyone? Have a little confidence in me, Spike. Believe me when I say I love you, and believe that I understand who I'm saying that to. You are Spike, you're William too, you're everything that's made you so far and I love all of it. The little romantic who had his heart broken a thousand times but always came back, the guy who made mistakes and loved someone so much that he was blind to how much she was really hurting him, the man who cares so much for his friends and family that he confronts his past to keep them safe, the man I love, who loves me. Have a little faith."



She looked him in the eyes for a moment, searching for some comprehension and acceptance of what she was saying. Tears were forming in his deep blue eyes and she leaned down to kiss him sweetly, trying to convey everything she had said physically as well.



The kiss deepened but remained measured and deliberate in pace and they rolled together until Spike was lying between her legs, pushing inside her slowly. With each thrust he whispered of his love and his gratitude, things he couldn't say purely with words or purely with sex, but when he was making love to her, he could whisper in her ear and feel the effects and he imagined that she must have felt it more then than ever.



They came with a shared low groan and Spike rolled them so that Buffy was on top resting on his chest with him still pulsing deep inside her.



"You are amazing, Buffy, and I believe you."



"I know," she whispered placing a soft kiss on his chest. "And," she rose looking him in the eyes and pointing harshly at his chest, "it's about damn time!"



 


 

Lay Lady Lay by lucky021

A/N: Sorry about the long wait, school and work are kicking my ass. I'm trying a new scheduling system, I need time to write, for some strange reason it keeps me focused. Anyhow, thanks so much for the reviews, you guys are great, keep 'em coming, and I really hope everyone likes this. The angst is fast approaching, I'm excited about it, but I feel compelled to give some good happy Spuffy moments before all the shit hits the fan.



Lay, lady, lay, lay across my big brass bed
Stay, lady, stay, stay with your man awhile
Until the break of day, let me see you make him smile
His clothes are dirty but his hands are clean
And you're the best thing that he's ever seen

-Bob Dylan, "Lay Lady Lay"



Christmas Eve came a lot quicker than any of the group at Woodstock had anticipated. Willow and Tara, as usual, seemed to be the only ones even approaching calm. They had bought all their gifts back in California and the only thing they had to worry about was getting all the food for the Christmas dinner together as they had volunteered to take care of the whole thing. Giles suspected his daughter and her girlfriend's real motivation for taking on that responsibility was more to do with his and William's cooking skills than Christmas spirit.



Anya and Xander were rarely seen as they had the entirety of their shopping to do in the few days before Christmas and Giles was busy making sure all of his carefully planned out decorations were placed with the utmost care. It left Spike and Buffy somewhere in the middle of it all. The only gifts they still had left to buy were for each other. Objectively it seemed like they had the least to worry about.



Both of them were terrified.



Spike had made frequent visits with his father and Tara to decide on the perfect gift for Buffy and he was still at a total loss. Buffy wasn't having any more luck, her pleas to Tara and Willow, and even Xander were met with shrugs. Anya was firm in her declaration that Buffy shouldn't have given it up until Christmas, that way she could have at least saved some money.



It was the night before Christmas, and not a bloody thing was settled for the pair.



***



Buffy sat that night waiting for Spike in their bedroom, he'd been off making some mysterious phone calls which he absolutely did not want her hearing. She sighed and got out of bed, unable to relax without him, especially as she was worried as hell about his gifts. She'd found what at first seemed perfect but now she wasn't so sure. It was good, and he'd like it, but she wasn't sure it conveyed much of how she truly felt for him. It was something his father could have given him, and it frustrated her that it was best she could come up with. Well that was the official gift anyway. She did have something special that under no circumstances would anyone else even know existed.



Thinking about that particular gift made Buffy even more anxious for Spike's return.



Luckily, Spike finally entered the room with a wide smile and swept Buffy into his arms before causing them both to collapse onto their bed.



"Everything going according to plan I guess."



"Oh yes, just one more thing to make everything perfect."



"What's that?"



Spike propped himself up on his forearms and looked down at her. His smile faded as the mood shifted into slightly more serious territory. "I hope you like it, luv... No, I hope you love it."



She smiled and touched his cheek. "You've spent so much time on it, I can't see a reason why I wouldn't. Besides, being here with you, that's enough. You've done so much for me this week."



"I want this Christmas to be good for you, only good memories. I want you to feel like this is your home too, like family with us."



"I do."



He bent his head and kissed her tenderly but with enough passion to make her moan. His tongue slipped in at that to tangle with hers and she felt him press his rapidly hardening length against her. That merited another moan and he grinned into the kiss.



"Yes, baby, feel that?"



She thrust up against him and he buried his face in her hair, his breath coming in quick pants. Before they'd consummated the relationship, they'd spent long nights together like this, rubbing against each other until they collapsed together in a sticky heap.



Buffy reached for the button on his pants and smiled. They never had to do that again. His stomach muscles twitched as she ran her hands lightly up and down his abs. She moved lower and ghosted her hand over his covered erection.



He shuddered above her and moved a hand to cup her aching breast, rubbing her sensitive nipple until she was whimpering with need.



"Tell me, Buffy."



"I love you, Spike. I love you and I want you so much."



He groaned and pulled her shirt over her head, diving down to lick and nip at her breasts. His hands tugged at her pajama pants and eased them down her legs along with her panties. "Fuck, luv, you're a goddess. My goddess." He knelt above her drinking in the gorgeous sight of her. "Gonna worship you all night, everything I've got, it's yours, baby."



She grasped his shirt and pulled it over his head. He pulled her back into his arms and they both gasped when they felt their skin sliding together. She reached down and freed his erection, pushing his jeans down to his knees. He took over and kicked them off before settling back between her legs and poising himself at her entrance.



"You want this Buffy?"



"God yes!"



"Tell me."



She reached out and covered the hand on his cock with hers. "Put it in me, Spike, I want you inside now."



His eyes rolled back as he plunged inside of her with one deep and powerful thrust. They both let out a strangled cry when he started to move inside her.



"Love you, Buffy, never want to leave this place."



"You never have to."



***



Spike woke first Christmas morning. He reached down beside the bed to grab his phone and punched in a now memorized number. "Everything working out then? Beautiful, pet, can't wait."



He dropped the phone back onto his jeans and rolled over to pull Buffy to him. She stirred when he placed a soft kiss on the back of her neck and moments later she was coming fully awake.



"Merry Christmas, luv," he whispered into her hair.



She smiled and pulled his arms more tightly around her. "Merry Christmas, stud. God, I can't believe we're able to be up this early after last night."



He chuckled against her and felt his cock stirring at the memories of the previous night's activities. "Guess we were up a bit longer than I anticipated."



"I wouldn't call five hours straight "a little" longer."



"You told me I never had to leave."



"Didn't think you'd take it literally."



He pressed his now fully erect member between her cheeks and she gasped. "Were you always this horny?"



"You bring out the best in me."



"Definitely the best." She wriggled her ass harder against him and they began to move together. His hand slid down between her legs and he sighed shakily when his fingers slid inside her.



"God, you're so wet for me, so fucking responsive and beautiful."



"Always wet for you," she whispered, as she brought his from her sex to her breast. She moved her thigh over his and she could feel the head of his cock against her. "Make love to me."



"Don't need to ask." He pushed inside her and they rocked together slowly, his hand on her breast keeping the rhythm of their thrusts.



He coaxed an orgasm out of her first and followed right after, unable to feel her constricting around him without letting go himself.



They stayed spooned together for a while afterward, swapping random endearments and praise along with soft kisses until Anya began pounding on their door.



"If after last night you guys are still going at it, you'll never be satisfied. Take a damn break, I want presents."



After a moment of silence Buffy began to giggle uncontrollably.



"Guess we better get downstairs."



Buffy just nodded and tried with shaking hands to pull on a shirt.



***


Everyone congregated in the living room with mugs of coffee and tea. All the couples perched together on couched and overstuffed chairs while Giles, with a santa hat Willow had insisted on buying for him, sat next to the tree and handed out the presents.



Willow and Tara's gifts were thoughtful and appropriate, Xander and Anya's less appropriate, but Anya's "Hey, I know you all were thinking it!" approach wasn't unappreciated. The most amusing was the enormous and elaborate glass bong she and Xander gave to Giles.



Spike left Buffy for a moment and returned with a few buds from the greenhouse so that everyone could share in Giles' gain. After a few hits all around Buffy didn't feel quite as nervous about her gift for Spike, but she was still a little shy about giving it to him.



He kissed her softly on the cheek and smile as he began to unwrap the paper. He stopped suddenly when he saw what it was. Buffy's heart began pounding harder, she couldn't read the expression on his face.



"Umm, I know that you really liked him, I saw this, and I thought of you. You told me about how you used to read them with.. with Jenny and I thought..." When he still hadn't reacted at all her heart fell. "If you don't like it, it's ok, I mean, not a big deal. We can go out and get you something that you'll really like, I'm crap at picking out-"



"Buffy..." She stopped when she saw the unshed tears in his eyes.



"Spike, I'm-"



He pulled her to him before she could finish and was covering her face in kisses. "It's bloody perfect, luv, where did you find it?"



"Willow and I, we went to this rare and used bookstore, they had this in the back, I knew that you really liked Donne's stuff."



"Love it, Buffy, I love it. I can't believe you remembered."



He hugged her close and she moved her mouth closer to his ear. "If it's important to you, I remember."



They separated moments later and looked around sheepishly. Willow and Tara were trying not to squeal like the schoolgirls they'd been reduced to, Giles was trying not to cry himself, Xander was holding Anya tighter to him, and even Anya was smiling sweetly at the couple.



"And you were so worried, Buffy. I told her, Spike, she's already slept with you, the only other thing I could think of was for her to let you tie her up, or maybe tie you up, I can't remember what you like best."



Giles cleared his throat after a short silence and smiled handing Buffy his gift to her. "Yes, well, let's just finish with the presents and continue to pretend we heard nothing of the disturbing sex talk."



***



Spike's present to Buffy was last. He kept glancing at the door, then at the clock and she wondered what it was exactly that he had planned. Finally, Giles handed her a small package and she opened it quickly. Inside the box was a small slip of paper.



Go open the door, pet.



She looked at Spike in confusion until someone knocked. She stood slowly, her eyes on him until she reached the front door and opened it cautiously.



Spike moved to stand behind her, unwilling to miss her reaction.



When Buffy saw who was standing on the doorstep she thought she must be dreaming, then suddenly she and Dawn were in each others' arms squealing at a pitch that should have been outlawed.



"How did you get here?!"



"Your thoughtful boyfriend called me, sent me a ticket, and basically wouldn't take no for an answer from anyone. Dad's a little pissed but he'll get over it, I'm eighteen now."



Buffy kept one arm around her sister and turned to Spike. "You did this?"



He nodded a little shyly and she leapt into his arms, peppering his face with kisses until they finally locked lips.



"Hey, I thought you promised me no disgusting PDA?"



Spike pulled back from Buffy and settled her on the floor before casting a sheepish look at Dawn. "Sorry, Bit, just can't resist sometimes."



Buffy hadn't moved her eyes from Spike. "How did you know?"



He looked back down at her and smiled. "You wanted family, luv, and now every bit of your family is here."



She pulled him down for a quick kiss and then wrapped her arms tightly around him. "Thank you, I love you."



"I'm glad your happy, and I love you too, Buffy."



"Wow, sap much? So where's the rest of this wild and crazy gang of fun Buffy tells me about?"



Buffy looked back at her sister and sighed. Happily. Dawn's obnoxious teasing, funny how something that used to drive her insane now made her feel so warm and homey inside.



***



"That was the most wonderful, exciting, happy, beautiful, terrific Christmas ever!" Buffy exclaimed to Spike as they entered their room that night, exhausted but happier than they could remember being in a long time.



"Think maybe you could fit a few more adjectives in there, luv?"



"Smartass, be nice or you won't get your naughty prezzie."



Spike pulled Buffy against his chest and ground his arousal into her ass. "I've got your naughty prezzie right here, baby," he growled into her ear before biting gently on her shoulder.



Buffy allowed him a few more moments of thrusty goodness before she pulled away. "No, I mean, I have a real present for you, one I didn't want Giles to see, well, really not anyone but us to see."



Spike was more than intrigued, he was enthralled. Buffy had left him hard as nails all day, teasing him and then leaving him to adjust himself and continue conversing with his friends and family. The idea of her having something that could get him even more excited was a terrifyingly delicious prospect.



"Now you get on that bed, and I want to see your shirt gone when I get back."



Spike did her one better and stripped entirely, sliding into the cool sheets that made his cock ache even more once the smell of them reached him. She sauntered back in the room in a black lace bra, tiny panties and a garter belt with stocking that made Spike wonder if someone could come just from the sight of something that gorgeous.



"That my present, pet?" he managed to croak out.



She shook her head and pulled a wrapped box out from behind her. She moved to the side of the bed and he reached for her but she evaded his grasp.



"I have rules for the unwrapping period that you must follow to get the present. Ready?"



He nodded vigorously and she grinned. "I'm going to sit with you on the bed, but no hanky panky until we're all done with the presents and the explanation, got it?"



He nodded again and she removed the sheet, casting an appreciative eye to his straining cock before settling in between his legs and leaning against his chest. He leaned back against the headboard and tried to control his breathing as her ass kept rubbing up against his highly sensitized flesh.



She brought his arms around her and set his hands on the box. "You know how you have to go on that trip this summer to England, and how you may have to go on a few between now and then?"



He nodded slowly, a little distracted, but trying desperately to pay attention.



"This is for those times, and probably for others, but being away from you is what made me decide on this. I hope you like it, now go ahead and rip it open."



His shaking hands tore into the paper and he opened the box to reveal two small objects. His mouth went dry and any blood that had been left in any part of his body but his cock was now on its way south.



At Spike's whimpered moan Buffy finally took pity and decided she needed to take care of him before they could discuss the gift thoroughly.



"Spike?"



"Mhhmmhuh?"



"These panties are crotchless." With that she raised herself up and then sank down on his rigid flesh. He cried out loudly and she rode him hard for only a few moments before her thrust up into her and held her down on his cock as he released load after load of cum into her hot snatch screaming out her name.



He fell back against the headboard panting hard and squeezing and releasing her hips as he began to come down.



"Fuck, Buffy."



"You'll get to again, don't worry."



He chuckled softly, still a little out of breath. "I'm sorry, luv."



"Don't be, I know that you'll make it up to me, it was getting to be cruel leaving you like that."



"That it was." They sat for a few moments longer softly caressing the other's bodies until Spike sat them both up and reached into the box. "You serious about this?"



"Of course I am, when you're away, phone sex just won't cut it. Actually nothing will cut it, but at least this way I'll get a visual."



"But a camera-"



"A digital camera, that way we can send it and only the truly tenacious will be able to find it, if they want to look at us that badly, let 'em."



Spike growled into her ear and she could feel him hardening inside her once again. "No one gets to look at you but me."



Buffy grinned and leaned forward until she was on her hands and knees. His cock had slipped out of her and she could tell he wasn't pleased about that, but the view he got in exchange was undeniably sweet.



"Spike?"



"Yeah, baby?" he replied as his hands began to caress her perfectly round globes.



"Want to try something new?"



He grinned and rose up on his knees behind her. "You got something in mind, pet?"



"Reach under my pillow."



He turned and pulled out what felt like two tubes. She was just full of surprises tonight. "You sure, Buffy?"



"I was thinking, before we came here, about that morning, one of the first mornings we woke up together. You said you wanted to do this to me, remember?"



He closed his eyes and breathed in deep. He opened the cap to the lube and poured some onto his palm. "How could I forget?"



"I was thinking about it all day today, I was so wet for you, thinking about what it would feel like. Totally full."



He began to stroke himself, coating his cock with the oil. "Fuck, Buffy, you make me so bloody hard when you say things like that."



He poured another small amount on his hand and began stroking her ass, sliding her cheeks apart and sliding a slick digit around her puckered entrance. "Have you ever done this, luv?"



"Never." He swallowed hard and slowly worked a finger inside her. "Ohh, Spike, yess... I'm so glad you're the first... the only one."



He let out a shuddering breath and leaned down to kiss up and down her spine. "Going to be as gentle as I can, lamb, so gentle, don't want to hurt you."



He slid another finger inside her and felt her tense, he waited until she relaxed before working them to prepare her. He thought briefly of a time when pain would only increase the pleasure of it all, a time when his love had liked him to plunge in and pump away with no regard for her. He shook his head and focused on Buffy, on the purity of their love, of the way she made him feel worthy, like a man that could really care for and love a woman.



"Just one more finger baby, then I'm gonna try it all." She nodded and he reached for a pillow to put under her head. Finally, he figured she was as stretched as she was going to get from his fingers alone and he removed them and placed his cock where they had been.



"Ready, baby?"



"Fuck yes."



He eased his way into her tight passage, pausing when she winced to tensed at all. When he was buried to the hilt they were both panting loudly and he couldn't remember a time when he had felt anything this tight around him.



"Buffy, Buffy, you sweet fucking girl, tightest, hottest... fucking beautiful!"



He leaned down and licked and kissed her neck as he started to pump inside her.



"Spike, oh, God, I've never felt anything like this, you feel so good, baby!"



As she began meeting his thrusts he moved faster. "You want it all, Buffy?"



"Yes, fuck, please, Spike.."



He reached back and grabbed the dildo. He leaned back down and placed a kiss on the back of her neck as he eased the toy inside her. Spike flicked her clit before he began to move both himself and the dildo inside her and she froze for a second before constricting around him and crying out his name. It took all the self-control he possessed to keep from coming just then.



"Spike... oh God, I've never been this full, I love you so much, never been this good with anyone but you..."



He groaned and sped up his movements on all front, making sure to rub her clit on every down stroke. He was past words, his orgasm had been building since the moment he'd slipped inside her and he wasn't sure how much longer he could hold on.



"Buffy.... oh Buffy please come with me... come on, baby.."



"Spike.. fuck.. Spike!"



She came harder the second time than she could ever remember and Spike's roar behind her matched her screams. He thrust inside her quickly as his spunk filled her until it began leaking out. His arms were shaking and he realized he wouldn't be able to hold himself up much longer. He eased himself out of her and pulled the toy out as well. He tossed it on the floor and flopped onto his back, pulling her against his chest and sighing contentedly.



"You're a bloody amazing woman, you know that?"



"I've been told so once or twice."



Spike opened his mouth to say something but then he paused and sat up. He reached over her and brought one of the cameras out and turned it on.



"The sexy parts are over, honey, not really the most exciting moment."



He shook his head and moved back until he could capture her entire body and began snapping off shots. "This is when you're the sexiest to me, all ravished and content, covered in us and loving it. Loving me. I can see it so clearly when you're like this, Buffy." He finally stopped and put the camera down moving so that he could hold her again.



"Best Christmas for sure, luv."



***



Lay, lady, lay, lay across my big brass bed
Stay, lady, stay, stay while the night is still ahead
I long to see you in the morning light
I long to reach for you in the night
Stay, lady, stay, stay while the night is still ahead


Standing in the Doorway by lucky021

A/N: This is the first half of this particular chapter, I hope to have the second half out really soon. This is the beginning of the angst and it will last a little while, but there's a definite happy ending, so don't worry. Reviews are always helpful to the writer, plus they're fun. Hope you enjoy this, and I hope you understand Buffy's motivation. Let me know.



I'm walking through the summer nights
Jukebox playing low
Yesterday everything was going too fast
Today, it's moving too slow
I got no place left to turn
I got nothing left to burn
Don't know if I saw you, if I would kiss you or kill you
It probably wouldn't matter to you anyhow
You left me standing in the doorway, crying
I got nothing to go back to now

-Bob Dylan, Standing in the Doorway



 


After Christmas everyone thought that perhaps things would slow down and they would be able to thoroughly enjoy the rest of their vacation.



Of course, as with everything involving the Giles' and their friends, things didn't go exactly as planned.



Buffy and Spike collapsed onto their bed back in California and neither of them could really remember specific details about anything. It was a haze of sex, weed, presents, pubs, and, oh yeah, more sex. Buffy's body ached in a way she'd never yet experienced, and even Spike was a bit sore. Neither were complaining however, on the contrary, Buffy and Spike could never remember being so happy.



Of course, as with all things involving Spike, it couldn't last.



Spike wrapped his arms around Buffy and cuddled as close to her as he could before closing his eyes for much needed sleep. They were so exhausted by their trip that they hadn't even managed to take off their coats or get under the covers. Buffy pulled part of Spike's duster around her and turned to face him, burying her head in his neck and breathing in deep, smelling him and feeling finally content, now that they were back home.



The phone rang at an ungodly volume. And it just. wouldn't. stop. Spike groaned loudly and fumbled around for the phone finally finding it and dragging it over to his ear.



"'Lo?" His voice was rough with sleep, and not a little annoyed.



Buffy mumbled something not even she understood and tried to pull Spike closer to her once more. Suddenly he shot into a sitting position and pulled completely away from him.



"When did this happen?"



"Spike?"



He held up a hand to silence her and stood. Buffy sat up too and wiped the sleep from her eyes trying to listen to the person on the line.



"Fucking hell... and do you know where she is?"



He was pacing now and Buffy was growing more and more worried as Spike became more and more agitated.



"Yeah.. I know, thanks for telling me. I owe you."



Spike clicked off the phone and stood with his back to Buffy. When he dropped his hand to his side, Buffy could see that he was trembling slightly.



"Spike? Baby, what is it?"



When he turned to face her she knew what was coming. The fear, the pain, the self-loathing were all there. "Dru's out of jail, she's back in Sunnydale."



***



Buffy was worried about Spike. After the phone call about Dru he'd been distant. At first she wasn't sure if she was just reading too much into things. Maybe after all the marathon sex they'd had during their vacation he'd needed a rest. It wasn't just the sex though, he was distracted all the time. They had made love once in the week since he'd been back, but it was a little off, like he wasn't really there. After that, Buffy hadn't initiated anything.



He'd seemed almost relieved.



That was what had hurt the most, was that he'd seemed relieved that he hadn't had to make much contact with her. He held her at night, and sometimes during the day he'd seek her out and they'd just sit together, and he seemed to need that, but it was like they weren't really even together anymore. He could be getting the same comfort from Tara that he was getting from her, and she felt completely useless to him.



She'd asked Tara and Willow about it, and they'd been as completely clueless as she was. They had noticed the change in his behavior, she was glad to find that he hadn't just been distracted around her, but around them as well. At least it wasn't something totally to do with her.



Logically she knew it had to be about Dru, about whatever it was that still terrified him about her and whatever she brought with him. She understood their history but she just didn't get what it was that kept him so scared of her. He'd put her in jail, he'd faced her before, if he were worried about the safety of all of his friends, she could understand, but they were all taking precautions to be safe.



If Tara and Willow had nothing for her, she needed to talk to Xander. She went to his room but found Anya instead. She was the one who suggested that maybe Buffy needed to spice things up. Buffy realized soon after that was probably the worst advice she could have gotten.



***



"Buffy? You in-"



Spike stopped dead in his tracks and stared.



Buffy squirmed a little under his scrutiny. "You like it?"



"B-Buffy?"



It wasn't quite the response she was looking for when she picked out the skimpy black outfit (if you could call it that) that she was wearing and climbed into bed hoping to surprise him. Now she just felt ridiculous and she moved to pull the covers up over her but Spike was on her in an instant.



"Fucking hell, Buffy, where'd you get this?" He straddled her waist and pulled the covers down completely, baring her whole body to his gaze. "Beautiful."



That was more like it. "So I guess this was a good choice?"



"Perfect," he whispered before capturing her mouth with his and pushing her into the pillows, his hands coming up to cup her barely covered breasts.



He moved to her neck, giving her a chance to breathe and she couldn't help but tease him. "I had to do a fashion show for Xander just to make sure you would like it."



He growled possessively and squeezed her breasts before grinding himself into her. "Better not have."



She smiled and bit at his earlobe. "What would you do if I had?"



He glanced up at her to gauge her mood, trying to figure if she were really trying to play that game. She grinned at him wickedly and he smiled back before narrowing his eyes and flipping her onto her stomach and stripping off his coat and shirt.



"Been bad, little Buffy?" She nodded and squirmed against him, rubbing her ass against his cock. He put a hand on her back to keep her from exciting him too much. "Only one way to remedy that, luv. Think you can make it up to me?"



"I'm planning on it."



He leaned down for a second and kissed behind her ear. "You sure about this, Buffy?"



"I want to."



He kissed her again softly and then stood next to the bed. "Sit up then, you wanton little minx." He pulled her hands forward and placed them on his belt buckle. "Take my cock out."



Buffy was getting more turned on by their little roleplay than she had expected, and by the size of the bulge in his jeans, Spike was too. She unbuckled his belt and then quickly undid his pants, reaching in to take him out. His cock was already fully erect and leaking at the tip.



"Suck it."



The tone of his voice, rough with arousal and a little danger made her panties soak straight through. She gripped him at the base and wrapped her lips around the head of his cock. They both moaned and he buried his hands in her hair, gripping it tighter than usual and thrusting more than usual.



"Such a good little cocksucker, you love this don't you?"



She moaned against him and he pulled her off. "Say it."



"I love it, love your cock in my mouth."



He closed his eyes and tried to control himself before forcing her mouth back on him. She let him control the movements, fucking her mouth with less tenderness than usual, but it was probably one of the hottest things they'd ever shared.



"Yeah, take it all in, use that tongue, baby. Fuck yess..."



He pulled away abruptly and took a shaky breath. "Turn around." She turned so that she was laying half on the bed with her feet on the floor, her ass in air.



He moved behind her and stroked her ass a few times while he rubbed his cock up and down her slit. "Spike... please..."



"Sshhh... I'll give you what you need. Give it all to you. First I've got to give you what you deserve." He spanked her once, hard enough to leave a mark, but it was a pleasant sting. "That what you deserve?"



"Yes, Spike, oh God, yess!"



He spanked her again and then sank into her hot core with one thrust. He pounded into her, muttering obscenities.



"You want more, harder?!"



"Yes, Spike, please! Punish me!"



"Fuck me harder, make me bleed, punish me, my sweet William!"



Spike froze mid-thrust, only for a split second, but Buffy caught it. He pulled out of her slowly and stepped back. "Turn around Buffy." His voice was different now, softer, a little scared, shaky.



"Spike?"



"Please, Buffy, turn 'round."



She moved onto her back and scooted up the bed. Spike moved to lie on top of her. He rained kisses down on her face, each one soft and tentative. "I need to see your face," he whispered softly.



Buffy didn't understand what had happened, one minute he seemed to be totally enjoying himself, the next he was shaking and his eyes were watery and... she looked down. He'd gone completely flaccid.



"Spike? What happened?"



"I... I need to go Buffy.. I'm sorry, I just.." He started to get up but Buffy held his wrist.



"Spike, talk to me, please." He looked like a cornered animal and tears were now rolling down his cheeks. "I don't understand.. I want to help you, don't shut me out now, please."



"It's not you, believe me, Buffy. I just.. I need time... I need, I need some space."



Now tears were forming in her own eyes. She thought that this whole thing was going to help, but now it seemed like it was completely backfiring. "What are you saying?"



"I.. I don't know, just-"



He grabbed his jeans but Buffy held his wrist. "Are you breaking up with me?"



Spike turned quickly and wrapped his arms around her, burying his face in her neck and shaking his head. "No, no, no, God no, Buffy, I can't survive without you with me, I love you so much. Some things are happening, and I can't rest until I've got them under control again. I can't rest until I've got myself under control."



"Spike, what we were doing.. it wasn't-"



"No, Buffy, that's just the bleedin' tip of the iceberg. We start with this, it will lead... I can't bloody control myself, can't stop-"



"No, I know what happened with Drusilla, I know that you're worried about going back to that, but we love each other, we trust each other, that's what this was about."



"You don't get it, I trusted Dru, I love her."



Buffy's blood froze. "You love her?"



Spike looked up with a caught in the headlights expression. "Buffy-"



"No, Spike, answer the question. Do you still love her." He looked down at the sheets, his hands running through his hair. "Oh my God." She felt the tears begin to fall fast and her heart felt like it was being squeezed in her chest.



"Buffy, it's not what you think... it's, I love her, I do, I probably always will, but I'm in love with you."



Buffy shook her head. "This whole time... all this time I thought.. and you... how could you do this to me?"



"Buffy-" He reached for her but she jerked away and stood to pull on a robe. "Buffy please."



"No, I don't want to hear anymore. I think I finally get it, I get everything that's been going on since the moment I met you. I can't believe I didn't realize before." She started to jerkily gather some of her things while Spike watched motionless from the bed. "You're so damn afraid that people are going to leave that you won't let go of a single fucking person. You've hung on to Xander, Tara, and Dru, of all fucking people, her. You're so damn afraid I'm going to leave, I try to convince you that I love you, that I'll stay, but you don't listen.



"Why the fuck am I even here? Guess I shouldn't be anymore."



Spike stood, staring at her. "Buffy, you can't be serious, I do love you, I don't-"



"No Spike, I've heard it all before. You tell me that you love me, and I think you do, but it's not enough. You've got to let go of everyone else, and you can't do that."



"Buffy-"



"Shut-up, don't fucking treat me like a whore because you want to forget you were one!"



The second she said it, she wished she could take it back, but it was there, and he'd never looked so hurt before. The blow hit him like a slap across the face and he staggered back from her.



"I can't... what.."



"Spike, I'm sorry..."



He grabbed his pants and yanked them up before ripping his shirt off the floor and throwing it over his head. "You're right Buffy, nothing left to say."



He ran out of the room and Buffy collapsed on the floor, tears streaming down her face.



***



When she heard the knock at her door, she knew it was him.



"My sweet boy's come back to play. I knew she would hurt you. Tell me you missed me."



He fell into her arms and buried his face in her chest weeping. "Missed you, Dru."



 


 

It Ain't Me Babe by lucky021

A/N: The angst won’t last for too much longer, so I hope everyone will stick it out. I’m hoping Spike’s reactions are believable. He is fucked up, but everyone has relapses. Hope everyone enjoys this, I seem to be writing faster these days, so I hope to have the next chapter out soon. Reviews are great!



Go 'way from my window,
Leave at your own chosen speed.
I'm not the one you want, babe,
I'm not the one you need.
You say you're lookin' for someone
Never weak but always strong,
To protect you an' defend you
Whether you are right or wrong,
Someone to open each and every door,
But it ain't me, babe,
No, no, no, it ain't me, babe,
It ain't me you're lookin' for, babe.


-Bob Dylan, “It Ain’t Me Babe”



Buffy remained on the floor until Xander found her sometime later. She hadn't intended to stay sitting there for so long. She'd planned on getting up and running after Spike as soon as she could pull herself together, of course pulling herself together was taking much longer than she had expected.



Xander was sweet, he was Xander, a little bit of babbling, a little bit of joking, but he was there, and he was reassuring. Buffy needed something. There was no way she could face Spike until she had calmed down, and Xander was doing a remarkable job of helping her do that.



Must have been all those nightmares giving him practice.



The thought of Spike and his pain, the pain she'd used against him to make him hurt like she was sent a knife through her heart.



"I can't believe I said that to him."



Xander brushed some hair out of her face and handed her some tissues. "What happened, Buffy?"



"We.. he said... and then I-"



"Xander, I thought we were going to. . . Buffy?"



Anya stepped inside the room and shut the door. She moved to sit next to her friend and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. She looked to Xander for answers but he just shook his head.



"What's wrong?" Buffy just buried her face in her hands and cried harder. "Xander? Wait, don't even try to answer, it's completely obvious and you can't get it. Spike, sex, bad?"



Buffy nodded.



"Anya?"



"What? We all know they're having problems, we all know they're not having sex, here's Buffy in skimpy outfit with a robe barely covering her and Spike's gone, not too hard, Xander, you're just a man."



Xander shook his head and turned his attention back to Buffy. "Do you want to talk about it, or should Anya do it for you?"



Buffy smiled slightly at the bickering, but it only lasted seconds. "We fucked up."



"But didn't fuck?"



"Anya!"



"What?"



Buffy shook her head. "Something happened, I don't know. One minute we were. . . he just stopped and he was freaked out and he couldn't. . ."



"Wow, that's never happened with us before."



"Anya!"



"What?"



Xander sighed and covered Buffy's shaking hand with his. "Do you think it was something you guys were doing? Spike and sex, risky proposition."



Buffy nodded. "I think," her cheeks flamed but she swallowed and continued. "I took your advice," she said looking at Anya, "things were ok at first, great really, he was really into it, we both were."



"Then..."



Xander glared at Anya but Buffy didn't seem to notice. "He just.. like faltered and stopped and he said he needed to see me. He said that if we went on like that... It was like he was afraid he would take it too far. He looked so scared, and I just wanted to help."



Xander thought back to conversations about Dru, drunken weeping sessions full of guilt and shame. He could see why Spike would be afraid of anything approaching his sexual practices with Dru.



"That explains why he stopped, but why are you here crying and he's gone?"



"We. . . I think we broke up."



"What?! Why?! Sex isn't everything, I mean, yeah, huge, I wouldn't stay but, you! Buffy I-"



"Anya, wait, not that. That's not why..." Buffy sighed and swallowed. "Let me start from the top."



***



Spike noticed a lot of things that seemed terribly out of place the moment he extricated himself from Dru and looked around. He'd gotten her address from one of their mutual. . .acquaintances he supposed you’d call them. She was living in a much nicer part of town than he was used to, and her usual entourage of junkies and dealers was nowhere to be seen.



He turned and looked at her, shocked at what he saw. “Dru, fucking hell, you’re-”



“Sober?”



Spike swallowed and sat up straight. “When did you-”



Drusilla stood abruptly and walked smoothly to the kitchen pouring herself a glass of water. “What did you expect, William, sent me away, gave those men my number. Did you think I could survive without change. Sweet naive William, some things never change.”



Spike sat for a moment, shocked at this turn of events, shocked and mightily confused about how he felt. “Is this... I mean, things are better, yeah? I helped you.” He felt a slight rush of elation when some of his guilt lifted, but the look Dru gave him slammed it back down on his shoulders.



“Do you know how they did it, my Spike? Do you know how I felt, watching all the changes and pain, I could see it in front of me, what was happening within. I wondered if you felt that way, if you could see the colors go from red to black to yellow to green. Babies on the ceiling, fishes on the floor. . .”



As Dru became more agitated, she began to fold into herself, and Spike saw the beginnings of one of her fits. He couldn’t help but be moved by it. He stood and wrapped his arms around her trying to soothe her before she could turn her mind completely inside out.



They stood for a while in the middle of her kitchen, shaking and trying to breathe. He whispered all the things he remembered from their time together and stroked her back.



“I’ve got you Dru, I’ve got you. Sshhh. . .”



She calmed and pulled away from him, leaning against the counter and wrapping her arms around herself. She pulled out a bottle of pills and swallowed two before shaking her head at him.



“You don’t have me, you have no one. And no matter what you tell yourself, you don’t want to have me anymore. You’re all covered in her.”



Spike studied the toe of his boot and tried not to cry. His hands balled into fists and he resisted the urge to break something. The thing that made him most angry was that Buffy was absolutely right about him. He wasn’t able to let go of everyone else. He couldn’t really trust her no matter how much he loved her, he couldn’t trust anyone.



The shittiest part of it was, that of all the people in his life, his father included, Buffy was the one person who had given him the most reason to trust. She’d used his past against him, but it was slight and she was so angry, rightly so, that he couldn’t really hold it against her.



“Dru...”



She turned her back on him and sighed. “I thought. . . Never mind, go back home Spike. Go back and make up with her and don’t come back. You make it harder, and I can’t do it again.”



Spike’s heart ached to hear her so beaten, she’d always come out on top, even if she was in the wrong position. He reached out again. “Dru-”



“Leave William. Do something right for once.”



Spike nodded and turned to walk back to Buffy.



***



“Where do you think he is?”



Xander and Anya shrugged. “He’ll be back, I’m sure.”



“After what I said? I’m not so sure.”



“Xander, why don’t you go fill Willow and Tara in, if he comes back,” she looked at Buffy and smiled, “when he comes back, he should stay, talk to us.”



Xander nodded and stepped out.



Buffy turned to Anya. “You think you know?”



Anya shook her head. “My first thought?”



***



Spike skulked through the house until he stood outside his bedroom. He didn’t want to see anyone, didn’t want to have to explain a damn thing. He wanted to fall at Buffy’s feet and ask forgiveness and help. He didn’t deserve either, but he knew that she’d give it to him, and believing that was a step toward the trust she deserved.



He put his hand on the door but paused when he heard voices inside.



“My first thought? He’s with Dru, fucking and getting fucked up. Wouldn’t be the first time he’s turned to her when it gets rough, he’s never been able to help himself.”



Spike felt a rush of rage and betrayal like he’d never experienced before. If that’s what they thought, he wouldn’t disappoint.



***



“But I doubt that’s what’s happened this time. With you, he’s changed. With Xander and me, he couldn’t trust that one day we wouldn’t expect to have a “normal” life without him in it. He couldn’t trust us to be there if we ever fought. He may not know it, but he’s started to trust you.”



“I probably ruined any chance of that.”



“Buffy you were angry, he knows that, some rational part of him understands. He’ll be back, he’ll be fine, and you two will get over this. Every couple has to have at least one huge fight, if you don’t, that’s a real problem.”



Buffy nodded. “I guess, I just hate waiting for him. When he comes back, I’ll beg for forgiveness if I have to, I just want him back, we’ll work this out together.”



***



For the first time in a long time Spike surprised Drusilla. She opened the door and was immediately covered with him. His arms around her, pulling her against him, grinding himself into her and kissing her with enough anger to even frighten Drusilla a little bit.



He pushed her into the wall behind the door and slammed it behind him. She gathered enough wits in the few seconds since he walked in to return his kisses and pull him against her as well. For a moment Spike actually thought he could feel something other than Buffy-induced pain. For a second he thought Dru was helping him forget.



Then he realized all he was thinking about was forgetting Buffy, and therefore, still thinking about her.



He wrenched himself away from her and turned toward the door panting. Dru remained against the wall, wary of what he would do next, afraid to make a sound.



“Bitch thinks she knows me so well. But I don’t. . .” He choked and pressed his forehead against the door. “Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!” With each utterance he hit his head against the door harder.



Finally Dru stepped forward and put a hand on his back. “Spike-”



He spun violently and gripped her arms. “People don’t change, Dru. We don’t change. We are what we are. Nothing, no one’s gonna change that, yeah?”



She nodded warily and he allowed a smile without mirth to grace his features. “Let’s get the fuck out of here and find ourselves again. I’m tired of pretending.”



 


 


Mississippi by lucky021

A/N: Making up is hard to do. Sorry to anyone totally enraged by a certain turn of events. Maybe I was being too subtle with Spike's emotions. Focus more on what he didn't do, than what he might do. Hope you like this, more soon. Reviews are good, even if you're angry.



Got nothing for you, I had nothing before
Don't even have anything for myself anymore
Sky full of fire, pain pourin' down
Nothing you can sell me, I'll see you around

All my powers of expression and thoughts so sublime
Could never do you justice in reason or rhyme
Only one thing I did wrong
Stayed in Mississippi a day too long


***



Walking through the leaves, falling from the trees
Feeling like a stranger nobody sees
So many things that we never will undo
I know you're sorry, I'm sorry too

Some people will offer you their hand and some won't
Last night I knew you, tonight I don't
I need somethin' strong to distract my mind
I'm gonna look at you 'til my eyes go blind

Well I got here following the southern star
I crossed that river just to be where you are
Only one thing I did wrong
Stayed in Mississippi a day too long

-Bob Dylan, "Mississippi"



Spike turned to leave but Dru's voice stopped him.



"I don't think you understand yourself, William."



Spike turned and glared at her. He was tired of that name, tired of all the people who used it, all the people who wanted him to be something he wasn't. He was a junkie and a whore and he didn't give a shit, but when people said that name he saw what they wanted and it cut into him.



"Dru. . . " He sighed and tried to pull her with him but she resisted. "Dru, come on, let's get out of here, get some H, some E, whatever, just something. You and me, baby, remember?"



She shook his hand off and stepped back.



"We don't change, people like us. I was always crazy, ever since I can remember, saw things I shouldn't, people always looked at me funny. . . " she trailed off and her eyes glazed over for a moment before her expression hardened again and she glared at him.



"I am the way I am, I tried to make you into something like me, somebody who would feel what I feel and see what I see, but I couldn't do it. I named you Spike, debased you, enslaved you, abused you. It wasn't to be cruel, just to make you understand, but it never worked. You were never any of those things, William."



"Shut-up."



"No, my eyes are clear, have been for a while, and I decided that if you ever came back. . ." She stopped and smiled at something behind him. "Pixies tell me you'll be fine, tell me you'll find your way, but I have to help you. Can't let you go on, no matter how much I want to keep you. You were never mine."



"Dru, what the bleeding fuck are you going on about?"



"Naughty William, so angry, so full of misunderstanding and hurt. You kiss me but you think of her, I would have fucked you if I thought I could get her out of your mind but it wouldn't work." Her eyes snapped to his and he felt a strange sensation go through him, it was like she was looking into his soul and he couldn't look away from her.



"I see you now, William, see beyond all the others you hide behind. Behind the girl and the little boy who hurt you. I don't know if you've ever talked to the real you, ever really felt him yourself. You're hiding, and you've got to stop."



She looked away suddenly and they both felt the loss, Dru's knees gave out and Spike barely managed to hold them both up. "Dru, pet, please, tell me what the hell has gotten into you."



"Nothing. . . for once William, I've got nothing."



He stared at her for a moment before understanding exactly what she meant. "Dru, that's bloody dangerous. You've been hurt before when you're like this. I've got to get you to the doctor, get you some new pills."



She shook her head and stood. "I feel myself too, for once I can feel it, my soul, it was so lost. William, I can't lose me again, can't survive without it, don't take me away."



He looked her in the eyes once more and realized that for once she really did seem clearer to him. She seemed more sane spouting off about pixies and souls than she ever had before when she'd been on those damn pills her doctors had given her, even sober she was still somewhere else.



"Dru . . ."



She brushed a hand across his brow and brought his head to rest on her shoulder. "My poor, sweet, lost little William."



"They. . . they think I'm off with you, getting wasted. I want to be."



"That's not what I've seen."



"What?"



"Someone's looking for you, two someones. She's not with them, but everyone is oh so worried."



Spike clenched his jaw. "I couldn't do it, Dru."



"I know."



"If I hurt Buffy like that. . . They think I would have but I wouldn't. They don't fucking trust me. I came here, but I wasn't. . . Please tell me you understood."



Drusilla petted his head and nodded. "You surprised me, never thought you would shock me. If I hadn't known that you'd hate me and yourself forever, I never would have let you stop."



Spike took a step back and looked around the room, like he was seeing it for the first time. He'd come in intent on fucking Dru's brains out and then scrambling his with every chemical he could get his hands on. New he'd realized that he wouldn't have been able to follow through with any of his plan. He realized that he'd been the one to pull away, to stop. He took a deep breath. He stopped.



He'd stopped.



Up until that point he'd still had the intention to see Dru off safely and find something to numb the pain without her, but now he had a new plan. One far better than before.



One that could quite possibly save everything, most importantly Buffy. Plans weren't really his thing, usually they didn't work out, but he had every reason to follow through with this one. If he could fight the temptation Dru offered, he could fight anything.



He looked at her now and saw her. Not Angel, not the wild sex and the drugs and the booze and the blood. He just saw Dru, saw what William saw that night years ago. Beautiful and mysterious. But he had that and more back home.



He had Buffy. Or he'd had Buffy. No rights to the girl now, but maybe, if he could follow through just this one time, he could have her again. Make himself the man she deserved because for the first time he actually wanted to be that man.



Really truly, absofuckinglutely wanted to be someone, anyone, for Buffy.



Dru said she'd found her soul and wasn't letting go.



It was time he went looking for his.



***



Anya and Xander had been looking for a few hours now and still no luck. They'd checked all the old haunts, hit up a few of their old "friends", even checked the police for mention of Dru's new digs. Spike hadn't been back for too long.



He'd left three days ago, and still no word. Buffy hadn't spoken to any of them since Anya left her room the day Spike had gone. She'd come out every once in a while for the basic necessities, or to go to class or work, but she was silent throughout it all.



Anya, of course it was Anya, had asked her if she'd heard from Spike. She looked sad for a moment and shook her head, but she still didn't talk to them.



Willow and Tara had tried too with no success. Buffy had turned into an enigma, and so had Spike. Although he was terrifying them, and Buffy was just making everyone a little depressed.



Xander lamented daily about knowing better than to believe Spike could find someone and keep them, Anya was irritated and not a little offended that he hadn't even bothered to call. Willow was frantic and trying to set a decent date to tell her father that her brother might be up to his old tricks, and Tara was almost as oddly quiet as Buffy. That shouldn't have been a big change, it must have been the vibes she was giving off.



Finally, Anya and Xander got the news they never expected. Dru was sober, really truly sober. They wouldn't have believed it, but every dealer they knew, every junkie they'd ever met through Spike confirmed it.



That was the end of that lead.



"You know, if Buffy takes him back after all he's put everyone through, she's either really stupid or under some kind of spell."



Xander looked at his girlfriend and nodded sadly. "I don't think even Tara can forgive him completely for this."



***



Buffy closed the door to her room and leaned against it, sighing heavily. It had been a week now. One full week of lying to everyone. She hated it, she didn't want to do it, but she understood why she had to.



Spike would never get through it all if she told them.



She moved to her bed and flopped onto her back, reaching for his pillow and the phone he'd given her. She must be crazy to wait for him. She must be crazy to care. She must be crazy. Period.



A week ago, he'd come to her. Climbed in through the window so no one would notice. Scared the shit out her doing it, but she'd been so happy to see him she didn't have the time to tell him before she'd pulled him to her.



"Spike, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it!"



Spike pulled back and put a hand to her cheek. "Shh, Buffy, you didn't do anything wrong."



She tried to contradict him but he put a finger to her lips and pulled her down on the bed to sit next to him. "I've got to tell you some things, and you won't like it all, I'm sure. What you need to know first is that I love you, I do, and I'm not trying to leave you, I want to be with you, but there are other things that have to be taken care of first."



He looked away from her and sighed. "I'm the one that should be sorry, Buffy. I've gone about this whole bloody thing wrong. Every moment I've been using you, you were right, and I was so wrong. Believe me when I say I didn't mean for it to be that way. I didn't mean to do what I did, didn't even really know I was doing it.



"I've been hiding, hiding almost all my bloody life, and you told me that. Didn't believe you. Well, didn't understand it really. I know that now, know what I've been trying to do. I've got to stop it."



Buffy wasn't sure where he was headed, but she wasn't sure she was going to like it. "Where did you go?"



He looked away from her and ran a hand through his hair. "Let me have it all out before you say anything, alright?"



She nodded warily and he sighed.



"Went to Dru, not to. . . Not for anything but some comfort." He looked up quickly. "Of the non-sexual kind. I swear it, just wanted her to listen. Everyone around here knows you, knows us, and I thought it'd be good to cry on someone's shoulder who's not a part of this."



Buffy could understand it, didn't make it easier, but she understood. "That's where you were this whole time?"



He shook his head. "I came back here, realized what I fuck I'd been and wanted to apologize, but I heard you talking to Anya."



Buffy's brow furrowed. What could he have heard that. . . Oh shit. "Spike, what you heard, you must have not heard it all. I think-"



"Shh, luv. Whatever she said, whatever you thought. . . Weren't wrong entirely. I fucked up Buffy. I couldn't let go and even if I didn't go off to shag her and get high I wanted to." He swallowed. "I went back and I wanted to prove you right, wanted to so badly but I couldn't. I stopped it, and then Dru started talking about some things. About me."



Buffy's anger rose at that, if she started to hurt him again, so help her God-



"I know what I have to do now. Things are gonna change. She's better now, clean and she's off her medication. I was scared at first, of what she'd do, but I think something's happening to her that's making things ok in her head."



He shook off Dru in his head and turned to Buffy, this was the hard part. He took her hands and held them between their bodies. "I've got to leave Buffy. I don't know how long I'll be gone."



"Spike-"



"No, luv, I've got to do this or I'll never be anything more than some pathetic ponce who can't let go. I've got to let go, of Dru, of Xander, of Tara. I've got this world in my head where they can't leave, and I always go to them. I can't do it anymore, you were right. So bloody right, Buffy, I'm so sorry that I did this to you."



Buffy pulled him to her and they rocked together for a moment. The way he held her told her it was goodbye and she couldn't help but cry.



"Shh, baby, I'll be back, I swear."



She looked at him hard and he avoided her gaze. "Spike-"



"You don't have to wait. I don't know when I'll be back and it's not bloody fair to you. I've put you through hell and I don't deserve you to even think of me when I'm gone."



"Spike, don't..."



He sighed and kissed her hands. "I can't lie and say I'll be happy if you find someone else, better... I'll hate it, and I'll want you back, and I'll still love you, but I'm not gonna fight it. I just want you to be happy, Buffy. I've fucked it all up, it's all I've ever wanted but I've made such a mess of it."



They sat together for a little longer before she stood and started to fold some of his things and stick them in a bag. He stood and helped her and soon he was ready to be gone for however long he needed to be.



He stood back and opened his arms and she wrapped herself around him. He rested his cheek on her hair and closed his eyes.



"Buffy?"



"Yeah?"



"I want to stay broken up."



She pulled back. "What?!"



Spike rubbed his eyes. "I mean, bloody hell! I want to end this, what we had, and I want to start over. New and improved me wanting you all over again. I need to earn it Buffy, not fall back into something that wasn't right."



She nodded, liking the sound of that more than she had imagined she would. Looking back on all the things they'd gone about all wrong, she understood his need for something new. She needed it too.



"Are you going to tell everyone?"



He shook his head. "Part of this whole thing is to get away from all of this, all the crutches I've got. I don't want them to know where I am, that I'm gone. I'm telling you, I'm telling my dad, and I hope you can wait for me to let the others know."



Buffy nodded, though she hated lying to their friends, especially his sister. "I won't tell them. Do you know where you're going?"



"Woodstock, then maybe back to England for a bit. I hope I won't be gone too long, but I've got no bloody clue."



"Can I contact you?"



He pulled her against him again. "Give me a week. Just one week to get myself sorted as far as we're concerned." He pulled out a cell phone and handed it to her. "My number's in here, we can talk as much or as little as you want. Just give me a week."



She nodded and put the phone on the bed before moving back into his arms. "I'm proud of you, Spike. I want you to work this all out. Are you getting help?"



"That's part of it, the other part's just being by myself and being ok with that. Something I haven't been able to do for a long time."



"When the week is up, I want you to call me. If you're not ready, you don't have to. Know that I want you to call, don't go all insecure on me. Call me when you're ready."



They stood for a while longer and Spike buried his face in her hair. She tried to keep from crying, but the more she thought about how long he could be gone, the more she hated the fact that she hadn't found a way to make him get help before it came to this.



"Something I had to do on my own, luv," he whispered against her ear.



"Reading minds now?"



"Just know you. I'll miss you, Buffy, and I love you."



She moved to kiss him but he pulled back. "When I get back, when we're ok, yeah?"



She didn't like it, but she nodded. He stepped back and grabbed his bag. He opened the window and tossed it out before swinging a leg over the sill.



"Got that phone, yeah?" She nodded. "One week, baby. I promise."



They exchanged one last look before he put his other leg out. She turned and sat on the bed.



"Oh fuck it."



Before she could look up he was pulling her into his arms and devouring her mouth like he'd been starving for her. He would be soon, she supposed.



He pulled away too soon for both of their tastes and climbed down before she could register what was happening.



Well, his week was up. Buffy couldn't help but worry that he wouldn't call, wouldn't be ready yet.



She supposed holding him to his week promise wasn't the most charitable thing to do, but most of her didn't particularly care. She wanted to talk to him, and now, she couldn't help it.



The phone rang and knocked her out of her reverie. She scrambled to flip it open and raised it to her ear.



"Spike?!"



"'Lo, luv."



 

Tomorrow is a Long Time by lucky021

A/N: I seem to be really motivated to finish this, so we might be done by the end of next month or sooner. Now I have to knock on wood. Hope everyone enjoys this chapter. Reviews are seriously appreciated and are great motivation.



I can't see my reflection in the waters,
I can't speak the sounds that show no pain,
I can't hear the echo of my footsteps,
Or can't remember the sound of my own name.
Yes, and only if my own true love was waitin',
Yes, and if I could hear her heart a-softly poundin',
Only if she was lyin' by me,
Then I'd lie in my bed once again.

-Bob Dylan, "Tomorrow is a Long Time"



 


Spike couldn't remember the last time he'd been at Woodstock without his family. Once with Dru, he thought. That was a hazy time, however, not surprisingly. He set his bag on the bed in his old room. He couldn't really bear to be in the room he'd shared with Buffy over Christmas, it was still a little painful to think of her and what he'd done.



They'd come here and made love for the first time, and now that he knew how fucked it had been to do that when he hadn't even really been there. . .



He shook his head and began to unpack. This week was about moving away from all that he'd known about he and Buffy and making something new. He figured there was no way he could fall out of love with her, forget about her in any way, but he could learn to understand that a good deal of what he'd had with her had been based on something false.



He'd introduced himself as a person he wasn't, and played that part until it crumbled around them. He sighed, all the self-pity in the world was going to get him nowhere.



He finished unpacking and went into the kitchen. His father had hired someone to stock the house for him, in addition to that, he'd left some numbers of people he knew around the area that could help him.



Spike knew it was beyond him. There was no way he could change in the way he needed to without help. Professional help, it killed him to ask for it. What little pride he had left balked at the idea of talking to some shrink.



He picked up the list of numbers and stared at it for a while. The fact that his father had gone to so much trouble while asking so few questions amazed him. Usually, Giles was unable to act on anything without consulting one book or another while asking a million questions, most of them pointless in Spike's opinion.



That lead Spike to believe that maybe his father hadn't been so in the dark about what was going on with him all this time, and maybe now he truly believed that his son was worth saving.



Spike sunk into the barstool and tried to get his breathing under control. He reached out a shaky hand to the telephone and dialed the first number.



***



"Mr. Giles?"



Spike pulled his duster more tightly around himself and stepped forward. "I'm William Giles."



"Dr. Burkle is ready to see you, just go on back."



He took a deep breath and nodded. He made his way to the office in the back and entered, self-consciously running a hand through his hair, which he realized, as he walked past a mirror, was in bad need of a new bleach job.



"Mr. Giles?"



Spike turned quickly toward the voice and cleared his throat. "Yeah, call me Spike."



She smiled warmly and Spike felt more at ease immediately. He managed a small smile back. "I'm Dr. Burkle, you can call me Fred. I've known your father for a while, and he's helped me out a few times. We can talk, and I can give you some help too, but I'm not going to charge you."



"Dr Burkle-"



"Fred."



Spike tried for another smile. "Fred. I can't just ask you to do that for me. I'd be costing you money and-"



"Spike, listen, if it weren't for Rupert, I wouldn't even have a practice. He's done more for me than I can ever pay back, and he's never asked for a favor until now. You're helping me by letting me help." Spike sighed but nodded slowly. Fred smiled and guided him into the chair across from hers. "What is it you hope to get from this, Spike?"



He shrugged and scratched his scarred eyebrow. "What did my father tell you?"



"Well, the truth is, we'd talked about you before. He felt like he'd been responsible for some of the things that had happened to you." She paused then and looked at him, trying to decide the best way to put something. "Spike, Rupert has confided quite a lot in me, some about you. I know about a lot of what happened. I know about it from his side. I need to know yours before I can help you."



Spike clenched his fists and looked toward the window, trying to control his emotions. "So, An... Him, you know about him."



"I know what happened to him, I know that he was supplying you with drugs, I know that he had some connection to an old girlfriend. That's about it. Your father thought their might be something more, but he wasn't sure." Spike looked away and she smiled sadly. "Do you want to talk about that?"



Spike shook his head. "Maybe some other time."



Fred nodded. "What else is bothering you, Spike?"



He scratched the back of his head. "There's a girl."



Fred smiled. "Isn't there always?"



Spike shrugged and his lips curved upward thinking about her. "She's the first person to make me feel... I don't even know. I just think I can trust her, don't think she's ever gonna hurt me, not on purpose anyway."



"So what's the problem?"



"I'm not ready for her. I guess... I don't know."



Fred grabbed a notebook and a pen. "Do you mind?" Spike shook his head and she wrote some things down. "Ok, so what do you mean by 'ready'?"



Spike shrugged. "I'm... We had a good thing I think, have one kind of. I feel like I've been lying to her this whole time. Making her think I'm something I'm not. Not on purpose, I thought I was the man I said I was."



Fred nodded and continued to write. "So I'm guessing something big happened to make you realize all this."



"I... We were..." he sighed. "God this is harder than I thought."



"It's ok, we can start slow, you don't have to dive right in."



He shook his head. "No, I've gotta get through this. In a moment of umm, intimacy, I was reminded of something. I couldn't... Fuck," he looked up sharply. "I'm sorry, just got away from my-"



"It's ok. I expect you may get a little emotional, hence the emotional outbursts." Spike remained looking down. "Can you tell me what it was that happened, what exactly made things so hard for you?"



Spike scratched his head and sighed. "You really want to-"



"Spike, I'm not here to judge, I want to help you. Whatever you tell me, believe that I've probably heard worse."



He swallowed. "We were... I guess she thought she'd try something new." He pulled himself up and looked her in the eyes. "Ok, here's the thing. With Dru, we never made love. I had sex with her, we fucked each other, we were like animals. She punished me, I punished her, and we got off on hurting each other, any way we could. I'd never been with someone who could take so much, and she pushed me so bloody far, farther than I thought possible while still keeping any scrap of dignity."



He seemed to lose steam after that. He sat back and sighed, covering his eyes with his hand. "Dru, that's Drusilla, your ex?"



He nodded but remained silent.



"You and your current girlfriend, you don't do much of that kind of thing?"



Spike shook his head. "Her name's Buffy. Whenever.. whenever we're together like that, I always feel like I'm right to be feeling good about it. Dru made it dirty, like I was wrong to get off, probably was, but with Buffy, it's always good." Fred nodded and he continued. "In the middle of it, she said something, and it was so like Dru.. I forgot where I was. It was like being back there and using her, being used. I couldn't stand myself."



"Did you tell her this?"



"I had to get away before..."



"Spike?" He was silent. "Before what, Spike?"



"I couldn't lose control like that. I refuse to fall into that all over again. I love Buffy too much to use her in that way. I can't get... I'd rather lose her for good than have her like that."



"What happened after?"



"I told her I needed to leave. She wanted to know what was wrong with me, I'd been acting strange for a while, I knew it, but I was just trying to protect her from me, from what I'd been with Dru. Fuck, I made her feel like I was using her. I was using her."



"Spike, I have an idea. I think the best way to deal with this is to talk this out with Buffy, but I think you should do that with someone else there, someone who can understand some of the things you're going through."



"What about you?"



Fred smiled. "I could be convinced. Why don't we set up a time for us to talk. We can do it as often as you like. Have you kept from using drugs?"



Spike nodded. "I... For a while, I've been on a bit of a program. I was.. For so long I-"



"Methadone?"



"How did you-"



"I've worked with my fair share of users. How long have you been doing that?"



"Over a year. I tried to go without for a while, but it didn't work. I know it's just substituting one thing for another, but I haven't been able to stop."



"It's ok, I've seen what this does to people. Your father knows, does anyone else?"



Spike shook his head. "They think I'm fine... Everyone thinks they know so much about it, I can't tell them that I'm still using something."



Fred put a hand over his. "That's why I'm here, Spike. You can tell me all this, know I'm not going to tell anyone, and know I'm not going to think any less of you. You're staying up here alone?"



He nodded.



"I'm going to give you a number. If something happens and you need someone to talk to, I'm here. I'll answer this, and if I don't right away, I'll call you back within minutes. Don't hesitate, Spike. Alone, fighting this, it can be hard."



Spike nodded and turned his hand so that he could squeeze hers. They stood and he swallowed. "I don't know how to thank you for this, I can't tell you what this means to me."



"Don't mention it. I'm in your family's debt." She put a hand on his shoulder and lead him to the door. "The receptionist will set up a schedule for you. We can go as much as daily, or as little as you want."



"Thanks, Fred."



She smiled. "Don't forget about my number, Spike."



"I won't."



***



"You've reached Rupert Giles. I am unable to answer the phone at the moment. Please leave your message and I will return your call as soon as possible."



"Dad... Thank you. I can't... Just thank you. I'll call you later."



***



Spike returned home a little bit more relieved and hopeful about his situation. With Fred's help, he was sure he could be well on his way to becoming something. His hands itched to call Buffy but he held off. He'd made the rule, and he was going to follow it.



No matter how bloody hard it was.



He made his way up to the attic and pulled out a few boxes. Looking through some of the things stored up there wouldn't help to clear his mind, but they would stop him thinking about how much he wanted Buffy.



He pulled out a small shoebox that contained some of the things he'd saved as a child and hidden in the attic on their first summer at this house. It was before Willow moved with them, before he'd really known her, and all he'd had was himself. His father and Jenny hadn't been much company for a small shy boy in desperate need of friends his own age.



Spike stroked the top of the box lovingly, he'd missed his chance to come up and reminisce during Christmas. He couldn’t complain though, he’d been much more pleasantly occupied.



Fuck, now he was thinking of Buffy again.



He sighed and opened the box. For a moment he sat in shock, as soon as he remembered himself he flung the box and it’s contents to the other side of the room and moved himself against the wall behind him.



“Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck... Fuck!”



He sat panting for a moment, trying to control his emotions before he managed to look over at the scattered contents. Pictures, lots of pictures, he and Dru had desecrated everything eventually. Pictures of them in almost every room, doing something at least slightly depraved in each.



Mixed in with those were the small mementos from his childhood. A small toy car, two tiny books his mother had left him, a small stuffed rabbit, and a picture of her.



How high had he been when he’d stuffed all those things together? Well, by the half-full baggie and kit lying next to the rabbit, not as high as he could have been.



They must have stashed all of it here because they couldn’t finish before returning to California. Amazing he’d had enough clarity to worry about getting on an airplane with enough heroin and cocaine to get him sent to prison for a while, but not enough to regret the place he’d put it.



He stood on shaky legs and walked toward the mess he'd made. More than once his hand twitched at his side, itching to reach out for the thing he'd denied himself for so long. Finally, he managed to gather everything together and put it back in the box. He buried it under the rest of the things he'd removed.



It never occurred to him to get rid of it.



***



After a week of daily sessions with Fred and frequent talks with his father, Spike felt he was ready to talk to Buffy again.



Even if he hadn't felt like he was ready, nothing was keeping him from the phone after his week was up. He went to his session with Fred and they talked about the best ways to approach his new relationship with her. A sexual relationship was definitely not in the mix for a good while. At least not until they had a chance to talk with Fred together. She suggested that he treat it more like a friendship, Spike was well aware that he'd had a hard time with that before, but not being anywhere near her could make that part a bit easier.



He paced around after he'd come home. Then he called his father, who gave him some good advice about apologies and enough of a pep talk to keep him from falling into total self-loathing. Spike wasn't aware that one could miss something they'd never had. Talking to his father felt like something that should have always been there.



He'd learned a lot about the man that he'd never suspected before. And hearing about his wild youth made Spike feel slightly less terrible.



After the chat with Giles, Spike tried to occupy his time until the evening when he knew Buffy would be home. A good portion of that was spent lying on his bed longing to go into the attic. When he realized what he was doing, he went outside to tend to some things in the greenhouse and elsewhere.



It was very calming. He had a feeling that had less to do with the work and more to do with the fruits of his labor.



He sat on his bed and picked up the phone. He cursed the shaking of his hand as he dialed her number.



"Spike?!"



He smiled and sighed a little, letting go of the fear that she wouldn't answer his call.



"'Lo, luv."



There was a slightly awkward pause as they tried to decide what to say to each other.



"How are you?" they asked simultaneously. They laughed softly and both let out a breath.



"This is bloody awkward."



"Yeah, but I am really happy to hear from you."



"God, pet, can't even convey to you."



She smiled softly and leaned back into her pillows, closing her eyes and trying to imagine him.



"I do want to know."



"What?"



"How you are."



Spike moved so that he was on his back and closed his eyes. "I don't know, better, that's for sure." He paused and then sighed loudly. "Hell, Buffy, every other moment I'm regretting leaving you behind, the other half I'm terrified that you're going to say goodbye and I'm gonna have to agree that it's the right thing to do."



"Spike-"



"Buffy, I hate doing this to you, it's so bloody selfish I can't stand it. I am trying though, I swear, this isn't just for kicks."



"Of course it's not. Spike, I know this is the right thing to do, I hate it to, but if you're getting better, I'm all for it."



They were silent for a while longer, comfortable to listen to each other breathe. "I miss you."



"I miss you too."



"I'm seeing this, I guess she's a therapist. She and my dad know each other. She thinks maybe, I mean, I know it's not your problem, but if you-"



"Spike, what is it?"



"We should talk to her, together, about some stuff."



"Yeah, I think that's a good idea, I have questions too. I don't know what to do, how to help you, and I really want to be able to."



"Buffy, you-"



"Spike, I want to, I need to. I can't just sit by and not do anything. I care about you. I'm not going to abandon you."



He felt his heart lighten at her words. It was the number one thing he was dreading, though some part of him was sure it would happen and tried to accept it. "How have you been dealing, with everyone else I mean."



"I haven't really talked to them."



He could hear the frustration in her voice. "I'm so sorry, pet, I never should have asked you to do that."



"When are you going to tell them?"



"I thought maybe... You can tell them now, ask them not to try to find me, don't tell them I'm here. Just tell them I'm trying to figure some stuff out, and I'll be back as soon as I can." He paused and fought back tears. He hadn't cried since he'd left Buffy that night, and he was refusing to start again. "Tell them I'm sorry."



"Spike..."



They were quiet again, trying to find words to tell the other how they felt but it was impossible. She needed him there, she wanted to hold him, but she knew it was impossible. Even if he was there, she wasn't sure what they were to each other anymore.



"Buffy, I want...."



"What?"



He sighed. "Nothing, it's not important, I should go."



"Spike, wait-"



He didn't say anything, but didn't hang up. "You can tell me whatever. I'm always here for you. I've got the phone all the time, so if you need to call me..."



"Yeah, luv, ok."



"Uh, I guess it is pretty late there."



"Yeah."



"Will you call me tomorrow?"



He squeezed his eyes shut and tried to keep the emotion out of his voice, he didn't want her to know he was falling to pieces just listening to her. "Of course, baby, whenever you want."



The real emotion in his voice assured her, but she couldn't help but feel he was distancing himself from her. She closed her eyes again and tried not to cry, at least not until he was off the phone. "I'll talk to you later then, bye, Spike."



"Bye, Buffy, I love you."



When she paused he hung up. He couldn't bear to hear her hesitation any longer.



Buffy cursed herself, she didn't know why she hadn't responded immediately, but now she had hurt him. She contemplated calling him back, but decided it would only draw more attention to it. She'd tell him tomorrow, first thing when he called her.



She buried herself under her sheets and tried to imagine him lying it bed next to her.



Spike wrapped his arms around himself tightly, trying to stop the chill that was spreading through his body. He squeezed his eyes shut and held his breath until he choked on his sobs and couldn't hold them in any longer.



Neither slept through the night.



Can't Wait: Part 1 by lucky021

A/N: Sorry, it's been a while. Thanks for all the great reviews so far. Enjoy and review!



I'm your man; I'm trying to recover the sweet love that we knew
You understand that my heart can't go on beating without you
Well, your loveliness has wounded me, I'm reeling from the blow
I wish I knew what it was keeps me loving you so
I'm breathing hard, standing at the gate
But I don't know how much longer I can wait

-Bob Dylan, "Can't Wait"



 


Spike wasn't sure when he started doing it. Ever since his conversation with Buffy the week before, he'd been a little lost. The next morning she'd called him early, too early for her at least. It was around four in the morning her time. He was awake, but he couldn't stand to talk to her, he didn't want to hear the rejection again. He really didn't want to hear her say that she'd been up all night thinking and now she was ready to tell him it was over.



Since that night he hadn't talked to her directly. He avoided her calls and only dialed her number when he knew she wouldn't be able to answer. He left her messages, a lot of messages. He told her about his day, he told her about his sessions with Fred, and he told her that he loved her.



He figured that he could at least pretend she listened to the messages and cared, that she actually wanted to hear his voice. He didn't want to find out whether that was true, though.



The part of him that called Buffy and left her messages was the same part of him that went to Fred every day and talked about what he needed to change. That part was making progress, reading more, drinking and smoking less, and trying to work on things so that he could really be the man he could be if he tried.



The other part of him was the part that wouldn't let him call Buffy when she'd be around. It was the part that kept the liquor well-stocked for emergencies, and kept him from buying the patch.



It was the part that led him up to the attic every morning.



When it started, he wasn't even aware of it. He'd get out of bed and wander a bit aimlessly while the coffee brewed. Eventually, he'd end up sitting across from the stack of boxes that could decide his fate. He couldn't tell how close he'd come to stepping forward and taking what he wanted. It fluctuated every day. He could have a great session with Fred on a Tuesday, come home feeling refreshed, leave Buffy a great and hopeful message, even apologize for not being able to get hold of her, then Wednesday morning he'd wake up feeling like everything was falling apart. It could be a dream, it could be just getting up on the wrong side of the bed, but on those days it took every ounce of willpower just to look.



Today, he wasn't close to the stack, but he'd been up there for quite a while. His fingers itched to reach out and just touch it, but he stilled his hands. The smell of coffee made its way to him and he shook his head before walking downstairs and pouring himself a cup.



***



"Mr. Giles is here, Dr. Burkle."



"Thanks, have him come in."



Spike smiled at the receptionist before stepping into Fred's office and closing the door.



"Spike, how are you today?"



"Better every day I s'pose." He slumped into a chair and took out a cigarette.



"You don't sound so convinced."



He shrugged and was silent. Fred realized that he had something on his mind and she allowed him the time to formulate his question. "Is it... I know this may sound stupid..." He slid the cigarette above his ear and sat back. "When I feel really good, when things are going well and I feel like I might be close to going home, that's when I want it the most. 'S like I'm just hoping to throw it all away. What the hell is wrong with me?"



The longer he'd gone on, the louder and more agitated he'd become. Fred saw in that moment that a lot of what they'd believed to have accomplished hadn't really been there. He was almost in the same place he'd been when he'd first walked through her doors. She could see why he was getting frustrated.




"Hold on for a minute, Spike. Take a deep breath and let's work this out. You've got to stop doing this to yourself, you can't keep thinking that you're the only person who's ever felt this way. People have done a lot more to sabotage their own lives than you have, trust me."



Spike took a breath and nodded, he rubbed his hands through his hair and sighed. "Yeah, ok, guess I just got a little scared this morning."



"Let's start there, what happened this morning?"



"I just, it's nothing... I-"



"Spike," Fred reached across and took his hand and Spike squeezed his eyes closed, he hadn't so much as touched another human being since Fred took his hand their first meeting so long ago. "You've got to stop worrying I'm going to judge you. Tell me."



"I've been lying to you."



"Ok. What about?"



Spike covered their hands with his free one, desperate to keep her there. "The first day, when I got here... I found something that I'd forgotten about."



Fred nodded for him to continue and squeezed his hand again. "It's ok."



"Every morning I'm wondering if it's the day I finally go upstairs and cook up whatever heroin is left. I thought maybe I could keep it just to test myself, but I go up there, and I stare at it, I want it so badly that it's all I can think about when I'm in the house. Fucking hell, Fred, I didn't want to lie to you, but until today I didn't really realize what I was doing to myself."



When she was silent for a moment, Spike began to panic. "I'm getting rid of it, I swear to you, I won't do this again. I can't.. Fred pl-"



"Shh, Spike, it's ok. I was just thinking about something." She looked at her watch and stood up, still holding his hand. "Let's go now, I want you to get rid of this before you make a mistake. I see you trying, Spike, but nothing is ever going to change until you do this. You've got to get rid of it."



Spike swallowed and nodded. "Alright, let's go."



***



Spike hugged Fred and walked her to her car. They made plans for an earlier and longer session the next day in case Spike was feeling a little nervous about being alone. She reminded him of her number and he thanked her again before she drove off.



When Spike got back into the house he noticed his hands were shaking. He glanced at the clock.



Four-thirty.



He shrugged. Close enough to five, he figured.



He made his way to the liquor cabinet and tried to decide on something to calm his nerves. Just a drink or two would calm him down. Then maybe he could start writing.



He'd been trying to get back into writing since he'd come back to Woodstock. Without anything else to distract him, he'd gotten a lot more done than he had back in California. He was thinking about trying to write a novel. The few times he'd started before something had come up to stop him.



Well, Dru really. But she was better and pretty much out of his life, and he had a lot to look forward to. He was ready to start new, he'd get back on track with school, he'd back with Buffy, and he'd stop using his friends as emotional crutches.



Fred had told him he needed to stop seeing Tara, Anya, and Xander as purely the givers and receivers of comfort. He needed to think about the fun they had together, as well as all the things they shared in a non-sexual, non-painful way.



In other words, he needed to attempt a healthy relationship with them.



He poured himself a tumbler full of bourbon. It was a bit more than he'd originally planned, but it couldn't hurt. He checked his watch again and remembered that he had planned to call Buffy before five. She'd be in class still, and he'd have a chance to leave her a message without her actually picking up.



He walked back to his room and set his glass down on his bedside table before picking up the phone. As he did every time before calling, he took a deep breath and tried to calm his nerves.



After a few rings her voicemail came on and he sighed in relief. "Buffy, it's me. Sorry we haven't been able to catch each other, I've been really busy with Fred and things around the house. I did something today that I think is really going to help. Umm... I've got some things to tell you. I should have told you when we started but I couldn't make myself do it." He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, he hadn't meant to say so much. "I want to talk to you tonight. I'll be round, if you can, please call, Buffy." He sighed again. "I miss you, and I love you. I'll talk to you later."



He pressed the "end" button and lay back onto his bed. He glanced up and saw the tumbler full of amber liquid and he realized that he might need a bit more to be ready for his conversation with Buffy.



He downed the glass quickly and on his way to get more he thought that maybe being tipsy or even drunk was probably the worst condition to be in when she called, but he really couldn't face her sober. Without this drink, he was sure he wouldn't even pick up the phone.



He sighed as he filled his glass and stared at it for a moment before bringing it to his lips.



***



Buffy had been much more relaxed since she told everyone about Spike. At first Anya and Xander were angry and had stormed out of the house, not returning until that night. Tara and Willow had understood and assured her that they would have done the same thing.



It didn't make Buffy fell any better about lying to them, but soon Anya and Xander conceded that they were more angry at Spike, and couldn't really blame Buffy at all.



Everyone had gone back to more or less their old routine. There were still awkward moments when Spike entered the conversation. Buffy didn't miss the longing looks the others cast at his place at the dinner table, or at his room.



Buffy was casting a lot of longing looks herself.



She hadn't talked to him for far too long. She had a sneaking suspicion he'd been avoiding her calls, but he always claimed in his messages that he wanted to speak with her. She knew that if he was indeed avoiding her, it would be because of her hesitation the last time they'd talked.



She'd stayed up all night trying to think of a way to smooth things over with him without it turning into a fight or making either of them feel worse about everything. Finally, she'd just decided to tell him the truth. She didn't know why she hadn't said something immediately, but it was eating away at her. She did love him, she loved him almost too much sometimes. She'd just never been good with expressing it all that well. Spike was the first boyfriend she'd had that she'd talked so much about "feelings" with.



She might have been emotionally stunted in a way, but even through that she knew that what she felt for Spike was something she'd never felt for another person, and she couldn't imagine ever feeling that way about anyone afterward.



She was ecstatic when she heard he wanted her to call. He'd never made the request before, she was pretty certain he liked the way things were now to some degree, even if he couldn't admit it. But now he'd actually asked, and she wasn't about to let that opportunity go to waste.



She said goodnight to everyone early and locked her door. The more she thought about his message, the more worried she became about what he had to tell her. He didn't seem excited about it, but he did say he was getting closer to coming home. That was good at least.



She shook her head to stop worrying about it and just get on with calling him and picked up her phone.



She was worried he wasn't going to answer when a few rings went by. She resigned herself to leaving another message when he finally picked up.



"Buffy, luv, hey."



She sighed and smiled. "Spike, God, it's so good to talk to you."



Spike let out a shaky breath and smiled. "Yeah, baby, it's very good. I've missed you."



"Spike, I... I have to tell you, last time we talked-"



"Buffy, you don't-"



"No, Spike, I love you, I'm so sorry, I do love you. I don't know what happened-"



She stopped when she heard Spike let out a choked sob.



"Spike?"



"Jesus, Buffy, I was so... God I thought, I don't know..." He sighed and rubbed a hand over his face. "You should have waited to tell me that until you were sure you meant it."



"Spike.. what are you talking about?"



He sighed shakily again and took another drink, this time out of the bottle. "Gotta tell you something, luv."



She wondered if he was drinking, he sounded a little shaky, and she thought maybe she heard the sloshing of liquid in a bottle. "I'm sure we'll get through it, baby, just tell me."



This time Buffy was positive he was drinking. She didn't know what to feel about it, maybe he needed a little liquid courage to get up the nerve to tell her whatever it was he was about to say. But couldn't he trust her enough to do it sober.



"Buffy?"



She realized that he'd been talking while she'd spaced out and shook her head. "Sorry, just thinking, tell me."



Spike swallowed and let out a breath. "I told you that I had been off drugs. And I am, I mean, I don't do anything illegal anymore, and I don't exactly abuse anything."



Buffy didn't have any clue what he was saying. "Spike, what are you talking about?"



"You ever heard of methadone?"



It rang a distant bell in Buffy's mind, but she couldn't place it. "I don't know."



"People that... well drug users, they try to get off, but if they can't... What I mean is, the withdrawals, luv, it's a pain that you just can't know, and I couldn't... I was too weak, baby, I couldn't do it completely."



Suddenly it became a bit clearer to Buffy. "That medicine, in the mornings?"



"Yeah." His voice was rough and she heard the bottle slosh again.



"Spike, I-"



"You don't have to say it, I know, I lied and this is the last nail in the bloody coffin. Just.. don't make me hear you say it." He rubbed his hand over his eyes and it came away wet. "Fuck, I never meant to hurt you. Let's just... say goodbye. If you... I think I might come out here. To stay. Won't be awkward there for you. And-"



"Spike, shut-up." Buffy sighed and squeezed her eyes shut. "Do you really want to stay there?"



"Luv, I can't do this anymore. I'm fucking with both of us, it doesn't work, I love you too much to-"



"Don't leave me."



Spike was shocked by the emotion in her voice. He was silent for a moment and he heard her sniffle across the line. "Buffy?"



"Spike, I don't care about it. I don't, I hate this too. I hate it so much that I want it to stop, but the way I envision that happening is you coming home. I don't want to be apart anymore."



"You deserve-"



"I don't want to hear it, don't you dare finish that sentence. When will you finally realize that I don't care about what you or anyone else thinks I deserve. I want you, I love you, and I'm not settling for anything less."



"Buffy..." Spike leaned his head against the wall and let the tears fall that he'd been holding in. "We can't keep this up."



"No, we really can't." She heard him raise the bottle and it only made her more upset. "Spike, don't drink anymore, please."



The softness of her voice, the way she let her hurt shine through tore into Spike's heart. "Nothin's working here."



"Spike," she pleaded, she couldn't stand the sound of his hopelessness. "Hold on for me."



"I don't know. I stop drinking, it hurts, I keep drinking, it hurts. I give up drugs, I just get back on another. It's like I can't ever be happy. The only time I feel good is when I'm inside you, when I feel you all around me and I know you love me enough to stay."



"I'm coming there."



"Buffy, there's no bloody point. You'll just miss classes."



"Spike, you need help, you need someone to be there. Being away from each other, I think it did us some good, gave us some perspective, but I don't want to be away from you anymore. I don't want to put this extra stress on you. I'm coming, don't argue with me."



Spike didn't answer, but picked up the bottle absentmindedly and put away the rest of the liquid. Buffy grabbed her laptop and found the next flight to New York.



"I'm going to be there in the morning, baby. I think you should get some rest. You're not thinking clearly."



Spike nodded and lay on the floor. "I miss you, Buffy. God, I miss you so much."



"I'm coming, please go to sleep, Spike."



She stayed on the line with him for a while longer as he drifted in and out of consciousness. Finally, she heard his breathing slow and she hung up. She threw a few things in a bag and ran up to Tara and Willow's room.



"Tara?!"



There were muffled sounds inside and finally a sleep Tara peeked her head out. "Buffy?"



"Listen, I don't have any time. I'm going to Spike. I don't know when I'm coming home. Can you talk to my professors. Tell them I have an emergency, I'm hurt, whatever, but I have to go."



"I know, it's ok, I'll work something out. Is something wrong?"



"I don't know, he's just not getting the right help. He sits in the house all day, the only time he goes out is to see this psychiatrist. He needs someone around to make him actually live."



"He's got too much time to think, that was never good with Will. He'll think himself into a corner and never get out."



Buffy nodded, getting more and more worried. If he woke up and drank more before she got there, she had no idea what he'd do. "I've got to go."



"I know, I'll tell everyone, good luck."



"Thanks."



"If you ever need anything, Buffy, you can always get in contact with me."



"I know, thanks." Buffy leaned over and kissed her cheek before running to her car.

Can't Wait: Part 2 by lucky021

A/N: So I decided I couldn’t leave it there and work on Professional Distance like I wanted to, so here’s more. The next chapter should be out soon, hopefully by the end of the weekend. Hope you like it. And reviews are always appreciated.



Skies are grey, I'm looking for anything that will bring a happy glow
Night or day, it doesn't matter where I go anymore; I just go
If I ever saw you coming I don't know what I would do
I'd like to think I could control myself, but it isn't true
That's how it is when things disintegrate
And I don't know how much longer I can wait

I'm doomed to love you, I've been rolling through stormy weather
I'm thinking of you and all the places we could roam together

-Bob Dylan, “Can’t Wait”



 


Buffy had a lot of time to wonder whether her decision to go to Spike was a good one or not on her way to New York.



She didn't really come to clear conclusion. She called Giles on her way to airport and he hadn't really asked about her motivation, he hadn't encouraged or discouraged her either. He just set up a car to meet her at the airport and take her to the house.



He sounded very tired, she decided. She wondered how much he'd been speaking to Spike lately, and what they had discussed. If she had talked to him since his first call, she may have seen that this wasn't working earlier.



Thoughts about what she could or couldn't have done weren't going to help, however.



When she reached the house, a lot of the lights were on, it was still early enough in the morning that it was pretty dark out. She stood in the doorway with her bags, wondering whether she should knock or not. Then she realized that was a ridiculous thought. Her drunk... probably boyfriend... was inside, passed out most likely, and possibly in danger.



She flung the door open and called out his name, when he didn’t answer she made her way into the kitchen. A good deal of empty bottles covered the counters, one of them was smashed against the wall.



This wasn’t a good sign. She followed the trail of Spike’s clothing and empty beer cans and glasses until she found him, clad only in his jeans, lying on the floor. She was so angry and scared and relieved all at once that she couldn’t stop the frustrated sobs that escaped her lips.



She clamped down hard on her emotions and took a deep breath before bending down next to him.



“Spike?”



He moaned softly and wrapped his arms tighter around his head.



“Spike, get up,” she said softly, shaking him a little.



His eyes blinked slowly open but they weren’t focused. “Give us a minute,” he managed to slur out.



“Spike, get up now.”



Finally, his eyes cleared and widened. “Buff..oh luv, I-”



She covered his mouth with her hand and helped him to sit up. “Don’t say anything, you’re still drunk. We’re not talking until you sober up.” She helped him stand and get into bed. She was more than grateful he didn’t attempt to get into his usual sleeping attire of nothing.



He was almost completely passed out again by the time his head hit the pillow, but he managed to reach for her hand.



Not giving it to him was one of the hardest things she’d ever done, but she knew it was only the beginning.



She walked out of his room and closed the door before she could think twice.



***



Buffy woke a few hours later after setting up shop in the room down the hall from Spike’s. She showered and dressed quickly before grabbing a large glass of water and some pain killers for Spike. She was glad he didn’t wake up before she could get out of there. The phone rang while she was making coffee later and she debated answering it before deciding she’d rather explain her presence to someone rather than wake Spike up. She still wasn’t sure how she was going to deal with him when he did.



“Hello?”



“Umm, I think I’ve got the wrong number, sorry-”



“No, wait, are you looking for Spike?”



“Umm, yes, this is Fred, who’s this?”



Buffy sighed in relief. She thought she heard a bit of Texas twang in her speech. If any other woman called looking for Spike, she might have been even more worried about this whole thing.



“This is Buffy, I don’t know if Spike told-”



“Oh, Buffy, hello, I guess Spike told you about me then? Of course he’s talked about you, all the good things he says seem to revolve around getting back to you.” Fred paused and seemed to realize she was rambling. “Sorry, the reason I’m calling... is everything ok? Spike was supposed to come in early today and-”



“Yeah, something did happen, nothing too major, but he’s a little out of sorts today.”



“Ok... well, Buffy, I know this may be a bit awkward, we don’t really know each other, but can you tell me what happened?”



Buffy sighed and looked around the kitchen. She hadn’t cleaned up yet, she was still deciding whether or not she’d be able to stand looking at it long enough to make Spike clean up his own mess.



“I don’t know, he called me last night, and I knew that he’d been drinking. He started saying things... He was scaring me, and I didn’t think he should be left alone is this is what’s going to happen. He’s passed out now.”



She heard Fred sigh and they were both silent for a moment. “Do you think you could have him call me when he’s awake?”



“Yeah, I’ll do that, I’m sure he’ll want to.”



“Thanks, Buffy, it’s good to finally talk to you.”



“Yeah, the same here, and thanks for all you’ve helped him with so far.”



“He’s lucky to have someone like you.”



Buffy closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “Yeah.”



Fred seemed to understand. “Goodbye, Buffy.”



“Goodbye.”



Buffy sat the phone down and rested her head in her hands. What the hell had she gotten herself into? She knew that there was no room to be soft with Spike. She had to be firm, she couldn’t let him do this to himself or her anymore. It was enough, she was ready to do what needed to be done.



***



Spike woke up with a groan. He felt like hell, and suddenly, when the memories of the night before and the morning flashed through his mind, he wondered if there was even a reason to get up at all.



He heard noises coming from the kitchen and he realized that Buffy was reason enough. She’d come to help him, he’d already basically spit in her face before by letting himself get this out of hand, he couldn’t do it again.



He saw the pain killers on the bedside table and swallowed them down before draining the whole glass. He stood slowly and shakily and pulled on a shirt before making his way downstairs. He watched Buffy making herself lunch for a while. He wasn’t sure when he’d next get a chance to watch her with open adoration again. She’d be sure to lay down the law today, that or tell him to get a life, she was leaving.



He’d kept drinking after she told him not to, he’d begun drinking in the first place, these were all good enough reasons. He ran a hand through his hair before stepping into the kitchen.



“Hey Buffy.”



She turned and looked him over for a moment before she managed a weak smile. “Feeling ok?”



He shrugged and sat at the counter. “You’re here, that makes things infinitely better than before.”



Buffy sighed and settled in on the other side of the counter. “We’ve got to talk. Are you up to it?”



He really didn’t think he was, but he nodded anyway.



“Things have got to change, Spike. Drastically.”



“I kn-”



“Don’t say it.” She cursed herself for snapping at him. “Sorry, I just... Let me talk for a while, ok?” Spike nodded and looked down. “We’ve tried a lot to work this out lately. Very little of it has worked. You going off by yourself, seeing Fred once a day for a few hours, leaving yourself all this time to sit around in self-pity, self-loathing, whatever, that was bad from the beginning.



“You need to actually live your life. You want to get better? You’ve got to try. We can talk, we have talked, about everything that you’re feeling. You’ve tried therapy now, and I think it’s helping, but you’ve got all this time by yourself to sit and regress. It’s stupid, Spike.



“You’re an addict. We know this. You’ll be addicted to heroin and coke and whatever else until the day you die. It won’t get that much easier, but you’ll be able to do it. You’re an alcoholic. I watched it, when we were together, I let it go because you seemed to be ok, but I get it now. You were pretty happy, we were happy, and you didn’t need to drink. When things start to get hard, you start and you don’t stop. If you just drank once in a while without using it to forget, you’d be ok, but you don’t.



“Everyone, me, your father, your sister, your friends. We all let it slide, we let your addictions slide, let your emotional problems slide. It’s too much for you and us. We all love you, I love you so much I can’t feel anything else sometimes. But I won’t watch you kill yourself. We’ve had these talks before, nothing ever happens. I know now that the reason for that is me not following through. We make a decision to change, and I just let you get deeper and deeper into yourself.



“I can’t do this anymore. I’m not your girlfriend. We’re done for now, for real.” She swallowed hard and looked away from him, trying to keep from crying.



“I can’t give in because I want it, it will kill us both. I’m here to help, but we won’t be sleeping together, resting together, anything like that together. I’m here for you, but we are not together.”



She finally looked up to meet Spike’s eyes. He nodded in understanding, but the pain was clear. “Yeah.” His voice was broken and low.



They sat in silence, avoiding each other’s eyes until Spike stood. “I should call Fred.”



Buffy nodded, and when he was gone she finally allowed herself to cry.



***



They fell into a routine that was much more comfortable than Buffy had first envisioned. That first day together was terrible. They barely talked, and when they did it was pained and curt. Spike went to see Fred and when he came back he was feeling better, but things were still strained.



After a week and a half, things were finally getting better. They’d locked the liquor cabinet and sent the key to his father. They had also gone up the attic and cleared out all of the reminders of he and Dru’s visit years ago. It was hard for Buffy to see it all, but she had expected it, and she knew that he was a different person now.



When Spike told her that he had something important to tell her at dinner that night, she figured she had an idea about what he would say.



“Ok, so Buffy, the thing is... and, I don’t know what this will mean, but-”



“Spike,” she said softly, reaching across the table and taking his hand. It was the first physical contact they’d had in so long she could actually feel the electricity. “Just tell me.”



He sighed. “I want to quit it. Methadone.”



They were both silent for a moment until Buffy squeezed Spike’s hand before letting go and he let out a sigh.



“Do you think you’re ready for that?”



“Quitting everything, aren’t I? Might as well get rid of that as well.”



“I’m so proud of you.”



Spike shifted uncomfortably. “You should probably wait to say that until after I’m done with it.”



“Spike, the fact that you’re willing-”



“Buffy wait.” She looked up at him expectantly and he sighed. “This isn’t all good news, luv. There is a downside.”



“And that would be?” Spike stood up and started taking the dishes to the sink. “Spike, c’mon.”



“I think you should go back to California for a while.”



“Wait, what?” She stood a followed him. “Hold on, you’re deciding to take a huge step, we’ve been working really well together, and now, when you’ll need me the most, you’re telling me to leave?”



“The withdrawals, Buffy. Bloody awful withdrawals. I don’t want you around for that.”



“Spike-”



“I’ll check into a bloody center for a while. I can’t have you seeing me like that.”



Buffy snorted and turned him so that he was facing her. “Please, like I haven’t seen you at your near worst already. I’ve seen the nasty underbelly of life with you, this is part of it, a big part. I want to be here for you, please don’t push me away now, not when we’ve come so far.”



Spike dropped his head down and reached for her hand, this time she didn’t pull away. “Are you sure about this?”



She stepped closer to him, so that their bodies were almost touching, but not quite. Spike felt his body react slightly from her proximity. “I’ve never been more sure about anything concerning you.”



Spike stepped closer, until their bodies were slightly brushing against each other. He brought his hand to her cheek and grazed his fingertips against it. “Buffy,” he whispered, his mouth centimeters from her ear. “You can’t know, what this means to me... what you do to me...”



“Spike...” She let her eyes drift closed. He was so close now, so deliciously near, and they’d denied each other for so long. It would feel so good to touch him again, to let him touch her. He knew her body better than she did, no one had ever made her feel the way he did.



His lips touched hers lightly and all the reasons they couldn’t rushed into her. She staggered back and hit the counter. “We can’t.”



Spike remained where he was, his hand moved up to brush through his bleached locks. “Sorry.”



Buffy took a deep breath and nodded. “It wasn’t just you, it’s ok. We just can’t risk it.”



“I know, and I am grateful for this, Buffy, really, truly in your debt. And even if things don’t-”



She put a finger to his lips and shook her head. “Don’t finish that sentence. Let’s just live in the moment for a while. Not regretting the past and worrying about the future.”



Spike nodded and put his hand over hers, bringing her palm to his lips and kissing it longingly. “Goodnight Buffy.”



She stood on shaky legs in the kitchen long after he’d left.



 


 

Black Crow Blues by lucky021

A/N: This chapter will be the one to deal mostly with Spike's first half of recovery. I hope everyone likes it. I'm trying to really push and finish this one before I pick back up with PD and my new one. Reviews are great, thanks to all who have been doing so.



Sometimes I'm thinkin'
I'm too high to fall.
Sometimes I'm thinkin'
I'm Too high to fall.
Other times I'm thinkin' I'm
So low I don't know
If I can come up at all.

-Bob Dylan, "Black Crow Blues"



 


Spike stared longingly at his last dose of methadone.



This was it. After today, he'd be facing withdrawals for the third time in his life. Both times before he'd given up after a week. The first time he'd gotten back on smack, the second he'd managed to make a marginally better choice and turn to methadone.



Now he was laying everything on the line and attempting to do the thing he'd never been able to before.



"Buffy?"



She turned when she heard his voice and saw him standing in the doorway of her bedroom. "Come on in."



He smiled slightly and sat in her desk chair. "We should talk about some things."



She nodded and sat back against the wall. "Yeah, I guess we should."



He rubbed his scarred eyebrow and finally managed to look up at her. "This won't be easy luv, it won't even be marginally difficult. This is gonna be the hardest bloody thing I've ever done, and you're gonna have to watch." He sighed and continued.



"I tried a while ago. Just Xand knew. He let me stay at his house, Dru and I had fought.. we hurt each other that time.. and I figured it wasn't bloody worth it anymore."



"What happened?"



Spike took a deep breath and looked away. "I beat the living shit out of him because he wouldn't let me go, and when he was passed out, bleeding on the fucking floor, I went out and nearly bloody overdosed.



"Can you see now why I don't want you to stay?"



He finally looked up and she could see the unshed tears in his eyes.



"Spike-"



"I can't hurt you Buffy, I'd never forgive myself."



She moved off of the bed and he stood to meet her. They held each other, rocking slowly in the middle of the room.



"You won't, Spike, I trust you."



He bent his head until his face was buried in her hair. "It won't be me.. not the real me anyway. When I need it, I'll do anything to get it."



"Shh, we'll get through it. I've talked to Fred, she's given me a lot of advice and some things to read. I know what's coming. I won't lie and say I'm not scared, but I'm not walking away."



Spike didn't respond, but held her tighter, and she knew she'd gotten to him. They stood silently for a moment before Spike pulled back, kissed her cheek softly, whispered a thank you, and walked out.



He'd told Buffy before that his father had been unable to watch him suffer and had practically dragged him into the clinic that had pumped him full of drugs until he stopped hallucinating. He was amazed that Buffy had taken everything the way she had, though he shouldn't have been.



She never ceased to amaze him, part of the reason he loved her.



He looked down and sighed. This was it. Last time, and it felt good in a way. Once he made it through, he would have a huge weight off of his shoulders. And he would be able to finally be the man Buffy deserved.



They hadn't said it in so many words, but once he was free, he and Buffy may be able to start over, without any of the issues plaguing their relationship before.



He felt Buffy's presence behind him and he let out a breath he hadn't realized he was holding. "Thanks, luv."



She touched his shoulder and set down a glass of water for him. Spike reached back and squeezed her hand before committing himself to the beginning of the end.



***



It wasn't absolutely terrible at first. Buffy made sure to keep Spike well stocked with cigarettes, as that was one thing he was unwilling to give up, and Buffy didn't blame him. They kept him sane when he was starting to really get jumpy.



It started with little things. Spike was easily irritated and often agitated if he couldn't get something done as quickly or easily as he used to. At night, she heard him sometimes, moaning in pain, crying in frustration. His body loudly protested the lack of opiates, it didn't know how to produce pleasure on it's own.



If he kept moving during the day, he was ok for most of it. They jogged, they hiked, they shopped, they played soccer. Well, she tried to learn and he tried to teach her. His teaching only lasted a few days however, she could see that the more easily frustrated he became, the more dangerous testing his limits became.



The first few days he was still doing alright, but now, four days into it, there were times when he could barely move. They stopped going out as much, and he rarely came out of his room. He tried to write, but things weren't coming as quickly, and his body wouldn't allow for him to sit at his desk for long periods of time. His hands cramped, and his head ached, and finally Buffy asked him to stop it all together until he could concentrate.



That was the first time she wondered if maybe she'd gotten in over her head.



"What the hell do you care?"



"Spike, stop, you don't even-"



"Shut-up, get out and leave me the fuck alone!"



"Spike-"



He stood and was in front of her, his hands gripping her shoulders a tad too tightly. "I told you, Buffy, to get out, and leave. me. the fuck. alone!" He yelled the last part and pushed her out of his doorway, slamming the door in her face.



She leaned against the wall behind her, panting slightly. This was over something stupid, something so inconsequential that she didn't even want to know what he would do when it really came down to it. She pulled herself away from his door and sat in the kitchen, staring at nothing.



It was day five, and Spike didn't come down for coffee. She waited downstairs for him, wondering if maybe he was just having a hard time getting up. When he still hadn't come down and hour and a half after his usual time she made the decision to see what was keeping him.



She heard him before she got all the way up the stairs. He leaned over the toilet in the bathroom they shared, clad only in his jeans, his body shuddering between each heave. It wasn't the first time he'd thrown up, in fact it wasn't really unusual for him to start the morning that way, but he'd never looked so pale.



"Spike?"



He looked over for a second, his eyes had dark circles around them and she could tell he was absolutely miserable.



"Oh God, honey, let me get you something." He turned back to the toilet and continued dry heaving while she rummaged through the medicine cabinet for the pills she'd bought to help with his nausea. She finally found some and filled a glass with water for him.



"Spike, do you think you can swallow these down?"



He pushed himself and nodded weakly. She helped him swallow the pills and drink down as much of the water as he could. She grabbed a wet washcloth and wiped his face. His whole body was covered in a cold sweat and she thought it best to get him back into bed.



He didn't resist when she pulled him up and helped him back into bed. He didn't move to take his jeans off, but she knew he would be uncomfortable, so she tugged them down and tucked him in, kissing his forehead lightly.



"Get some rest."



He reached out and grabbed her wrist. "Buffy, please..."



She moved back next to him and looked down. "What do you need?"



He swallowed and his shivering increased. "Stay.. stay with me, please."



Buffy didn't know what to do. She wasn't sure if staying with him would do more harm in the long run than good, but looking down at him, seeing the obvious pain he was in, she couldn't deny him. They weren't having sex, she didn't think he'd even be capable of it in this state, and he might not even remember that she was ever there.



She'd just stay until he fell asleep.



She climbed into bed next to him and allowed him to wrap his shaking arms around her and pull her close. He was so cold, it made her even more worried for him. She wrapped the blankets tightly around him and pulled his arms closer.



***



Buffy didn't remember falling asleep. She knew she hadn't intended to, but here she was, slowly waking up in Spike's bed, with his arms still wrapped tightly around her, and wet, sloppy kisses being placed on the back of her neck.



Wait a minute.



Spike pressed his body closer to hers and she could feel his erection pressed up against her. His body was even more shaky than it had been when she fell asleep.



She tried to pull away from him but he held her tighter.



"Spike, what are you doing?"



"Waking you up, pet. I'm ready to go."



He pressed himself closer to her and moaned in her ear, before kissing her again. "Got too many clothes on, baby, why'd you wear clothes to bed, y'never wear clothes..."



She noticed now that his speech was slurred and now she was getting worried. "Spike.. what are you talking about. We should get you something to eat, does your stomach feel better?"



"Stomach, baby what are you talking about. Turn 'round and kiss me. I am hungry, but not for food."



He turned her in his arms and when she looked into his eyes she realized he wasn't even in the same room as her. "Spike, stop, you're not thinking clearly." She tried to push him away and he pulled her tighter.



"We playin' this way then? Just gets me harder when you do it like this." He rolled himself on top of her and grabbed her wrists, quicker than she would have thought possible. He kissed her hard and didn't seem to notice that she didn't respond.



"Spike! Get off of me!" Buffy managed to get one of her hands free but he wasn't put off at all by her struggles.



"I'll get off alright, c'mon Dru, you're usually biting by now," he chuckled and buried his face in her neck.



The sound of Drusilla's name enraged her more than his attempt at getting into her pants. She was not about to be caught up in one of his queen of the damned's sex games. With a burst of strength, fueled mostly by the hurt she felt, she managed to push Spike off of her and onto the floor. The fall seemed to knock some sense back into him.



He looked up at her and she felt nearly hopeless since the whole thing started. He was so confused and ashamed and in pain. He didn't know what he was doing, but seeing in person some of what he had experienced with Dru, some of what they'd done to each other, it shook her.



She scrambled out of his bed and ran into her room where she tried unsuccessfully to calm down.



***



Spike couldn't remember feeling such widespread pain since he stopped buying from Angel. Every part of him hurt, and after what had happened that morning, he wasn't sure whether the emotional or the physical pain would kill him first.



He'd been dreaming about Dru, about sometime in the past. He'd been on an incredible high, so had she, and right in this very house he'd basically raped her, the only thing that made it less despicable was the fact that for a while, it was the only way she'd get off.



And now he'd nearly hurt Buffy. Already he'd let what was happening to him get in the way of his vow to never hurt her.



He lay in bed trying to think of a way to make up for it but the worse the pain got, the less clearly he was thinking. He could feel his mind flitting in and out of delusions. Sometimes he thought he saw Buffy, sometimes Tara, Xander, and his father, but none of those were real. Buffy was in the house, but chances were, after the events that morning, he probably wouldn't be seeing her for a while.



Finally he surrendered to what felt like sleep, but was more a waking nightmare. Part of him knew where he was, but the rest of him was off somewhere deeply unpleasant. And the aches were relentless.



All he wanted was the oblivion of sleep, but he figured if this was payment for what he'd done to Buffy, he was getting off easy.



***



Buffy managed to work through her thoughts about the morning. She realized now that it was a test of sorts. He'd warned her and she hadn't really understood how bad it was going to get. Now she knew, she knew about his past, she knew about his present, and she was ready to face them, however terrible they were.



She made some soup and grabbed some crackers and brought them to his room, along with a cold washcloth and some more pills for the nausea.



She could hear his moans before she reached his room and her heart went out to him. When she saw him she almost turned around again. She couldn't bear to see him like that. Writhing and moaning, and not in the fun way. He looked like hell, alternately curling into a ball and then stretching out like he was trying to push the ache out of him.



She put the tray on the bedside table and grabbed the washcloth. He stilled when she touched his forehead and his moans were reduced to more pitiful whimpers.



"I didn't.. mean it.." His voice was rough and broken and she could tell it must have been painful to speak.



"Shh, I know, it's ok, I know." She propped his head up so that he could drink some water.



When he spoke again, his voice sounded better. "So sorry, Buffy.. 'm so fucking sorry."



"Spike, I know, don't worry. Just get better. It'll be ok."



"Hurts, Buffy."



She closed her eyes and stroked his head, brushing his hair back from his face. "I know, just hold on. It'll get better."



"Give me a little bit... just a tiny, tiny bit. I'll stop then, I swear to God, Buffy, give me just a little and I'll stop."



"Spike, you know I can't."



"You can, just go down to the clinic, they won't ask any questions. Just a little for the pain, fucking hell, you don't know what it's like!"



"Spike, just rest, I'll get something to help you sleep, you're not doing that enough."



"I don't want to fucking sleep, I want some fucking H!"



"Spike, stop-"



"I don't give a shit what you give me, just stop it hurting. You love me, if you do you'll stop this."



"Spike, I'm not listening to this, I'm getting the stuff to help you sleep, just wait a minute."



He grabbed her wrist and yanked her closer to him. "You stupid bitch, I'll kill you when I get the fucking chance!"



She yanked herself away from him and stood up, nearly tripping over the chair she was sitting on. She'd never seen that look in his eyes before, it was like he wasn't even there anymore. He shook his head and looked back up at her and she could find him again, but she wasn't about to get close.



"Buffy... luv, I-"



"Don't.. just, I'll be right back."



She got some sleeping pills Fred had prescribed and took a deep breath before going back in his room. He swallowed them down and avoided her eyes. She was thankful when he didn't say anything to her.



She watched as his eyes drifted closed and then left his room, locking the door behind her. She knew there was no room for mistakes her, and she couldn't afford to take a chance on his mental state while she slept.

Visions of Johanna by lucky021

A/N: This chapter ends most of Spike's struggles. But it doesn't end the story, so those who worry, don't. Thanks for all the reviews. I have finals this week, so I don't know how much I'll be updating, but I'm going to try. Hope everyone enjoys, and then review.



Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're tryin' to be so quiet?
We sit here stranded, though we're all doin' our best to deny it
And Louise holds a handful of rain, temptin' you to defy it
Lights flicker from the opposite loft
In this room the heat pipes just cough
The country music station plays soft
But there's nothing, really nothing to turn off
Just Louise and her lover so entwined
And these visions of Johanna that conquer my mind

-Bob Dylan, "Visions of Johanna"



 


"Buffy!"



Buffy shot up with a start, still slightly disoriented from sleep she was unsure of what she was hearing.



"Buffy, oh Jesus Christ! Help me!"



Now she knew. She'd locked Spike in his room earlier for fear of what he would do if left to his own devices. Now, as she pulled on her robe and ran to him, she worried that maybe it wasn't the best decision. What if there was a fire, what if someone broke in and tried to attack him, what if..



She shook her head and pulled out the key, unlocking his room and opening the door to have him fall on top of her. As soon as they hit the floor he was scrambling off of her and toward the stairs.



Buffy rolled quickly onto her hands and knees and dove after him.



"Spike!" She managed to catch his ankle and he looked back terrified. She could see his eyes were glazed over, and she realized it was another one of his fits, this time she had no idea what had him so frightened.



He pulled himself against the banister with his hands around his legs, rocking slowly. Buffy crawled toward him slowly and reached out a hand to touch his hair. He pushed himself against it and whimpered softly.



"Spike? What is it?"



He looked up at her, tears swimming in his eyes. "He's here."



It was so soft she wasn't sure what she had heard at first. He stared at something over her shoulder and she looked back, but only saw air. "Who's here?"



Spike shook his head and grabbed at his hair. "I can't, I can't..can't..." Suddenly he was checking his body over, lifting his shirt and running his fingers over scars. "I'm bleeding, Buffy!"



"Spike-"



"I'm bleeding, he's done it... I'm gonna die, he's gonna kill me!"



She reached out for him again and he threw himself at her, wrapping his arms and legs around her. "Please help me, you have to help me, Buffy, please!"



"Shhh, Spike, just calm down... Shh, come out of this. Angel's not here, come back to me."



Spike shook his head violently, but didn't let go.



"I saw him.. he was here, all over again." She could feel his whole body begin to shudder, and he'd been in a cold sweat, her thin robe was soaking through. "Can't you feel it, Buffy? I'm bleeding all over you!"



She pulled back from him and cupped his face in her hands. "Spike, look at me." She tried to catch his eyes and finally managed to. "You're in Woodstock, and Angel isn't here, it's just you and me. You had a dream, and you're not bleeding, it's the withdrawals, baby, just a cold sweat."



She watched his eyes slowly regain focus and when he finally came back to reality his face crumpled and tears escaped his tightly shut eyes.



Buffy pulled him back to her as his sobs increased in volume. "Shh, it's ok, you'll be ok."



As his body shook against hers, and his sobs became the only thing she could hear, she doubted the truth of her words.



***



Spike remained shaking in her arms for almost an hours before he began to drift off and he allowed Buffy to help him back into bed. He begged her to stay with him, but she couldn't, not after what had happened before. She settled for curling up in the chair next to his bed and holding his hand.



She woke up a few hours later, luckily Spike was still asleep. She tucked his arm back into bed with him and walked quietly downstairs to use the phone.



"Fred? Yeah, this is Buffy... Oh.. it's been hard, yes... Listen, could you do me a favor?"



Buffy sighed and rubbed her forehead.



"I know you've probably got a bunch of patients, but I can't do this alone anymore... yeah... he's been having these delusions... yeah, the past... are you sure? God, thanks so much... you don't know what this means to us... yeah, ok, bye."



Buffy let out a breath and put the phone down before burying her face in her hands. It was getting to be too much. She thought she would be able to handle it, but she never imagined it would get this bad.



He was practically going insane, and she could see why Giles put him on methadone rather than watch him suffer. She needed Fred to be there, because if she wasn't, pretty soon she might give in to Spike's demands.



She figured she better get back up to him, there was no way to know when he might next wake up. She made her way upstairs and heard him in the bathroom. He was dry heaving again, and she realized that he hadn't eaten for a day.



"Spike?"



He looked up for a moment and nodded before leaning back over the toilet. She grabbed him some pills and handed them to him, helping him hold the glass steady.



"We have to get something into your stomach."



He nodded weakly and leaned on her as she helped him back into his bedroom.



"I'll be right back."



She took the soup from the day before and dumped it before grabbing some more out of the fridge and heating it up. She climbed back up the stairs with more water, soup and crackers. She doubted he could keep down more than the soup and water, but she could hope.



He struggled to sit when she came in the room, and began shakily raising the spoon to his lips while avoiding her eyes.



"How are feeling?"



He swallowed and shrugged.



"I think you should try and rest some more after you eat this."



He nodded but kept his eyes down.



"Fred's going to come over, do you want to talk to her?"



He shook his head with a bit more vehemence than before.



"You don't have to, she's just going to help me, make sure you're getting what you need."



He nodded again, and this time she was sure she saw his chin begin to quiver.



"Do you want me to leave?"



Finally he looked up and met her eyes.



"No."



She swallowed, trying to ignore the pain that flared up at the pitiful sound of his voice. Everything he must have been feeling was channeled through that single syllable, and she knew why he was refusing to speak.



He finished his soup and pushed it back onto the tray weakly before laying back down. Buffy grabbed the tray and moved it to the table next to his bed before moving to sit next to him.



"This can't last forever."



The look in his eyes begged to differ.



She bent down and kissed his forehead, his eyes fluttered closed as she stroked his hair. "Just hold on for me, Spike, I'm holding on for you."



She smiled and released a sigh of relief when she realized he'd fallen asleep.



***



Buffy remained sitting with Spike until she saw Fred's car pull up. She gave him one last kiss on the brow before closing his door and making her way downstairs.



She opened the door and Fred smiled meekly before walking through. "You must be Buffy."



Buffy smiled and took the hand Fred offered. "Thank you so much for this."



Fred waved off the thanks and set her bag down on the table near the door. "It's the least I can do. Spike's come to mean a lot to me since he's been here, and Rupert's helped me in ways I can never repay."



Buffy looked down and tried to smile but everything seemed to hit her at that moment.



"Buffy? Are you ok?"



Fred stepped closer and reached out to touch her shoulder as Buffy finally broke down. Fred pulled her into her arms and rubbed her back in an attempt at comfort.



"I just don't know what to do anymore..."



Fred nodded. "I know," she soothed. "I know what it can feel like to watch someone you love go through something that seems to be killing them. It's nearly impossible."



It felt good to let it out. She couldn't do this in front of Spike, he needed her to be strong. Fred was more to help her than anything. "I'm so glad you're here, he just seems to get worse, and there's nothing I can do. Half of the time he's not even here, he's off reliving some past horror, and other times he's... I don't know, but he's not him."



Fred led her to the couch and sat them both down. "He's done something to scare you then?"



Buffy nodded but didn't meet her eyes.



"It's not your fault, Buffy, there's no way to avoid it. He's delusional, and all he knows is that he wants to pain to stop. It's not his fault either. It will end though, he's through most of it. This is the worst of it, and it won't go on much longer."



"How much longer is not much longer?"



"A week at the most. After that, the hallucinations will stop and he'll be in less pain. You said he's throwing up?" Buffy nodded. "That should stop in a week as well. He'll be weak, and he'll need you around, but he'll be him again."



Buffy sat up straight and wiped her eyes self-consciously. "I'm sorry about that."



"Buffy, don't apologize. It's ok."



"I should go check on him. He was asleep last I checked, but you never know when he'll wake up." She moved to get up, but Fred touched her arm.



"If you ever need to talk..."



"I know, and thanks."



***



That night, Fred and Buffy had dinner downstairs while Spike slept. They didn't talk much, but it felt good to have Fred around, she was a calming presence in the house, and she allowed Buffy to get some rest without worrying about missing something.



They decided to take turns with shifts sitting with Spike. Fred stayed with him during the day, as he mostly slept and didn't seem to mind her presence then. His outbursts were less likely, and Buffy imagined he didn't want Fred to see him like that.



Buffy stayed with him at night. When he wasn't stuck inside his nightmare, he tossed and turned, his pain worst at night. In moments of clarity they could whisper softly to each other.



Making plans for the future seemed to make him happier. Buffy knew he might not remember most of what they talked about, but it was a help to her as well. She had to be assured that there was a future.



Tonight, though, he was unable to get through the pain. He hadn't slept all day. By the time she came to be with him for the night, tears of frustration were rolling down his cheeks.



She reached for his hand and he held on tightly.



"I can't do this anymore, Buffy... please god.. please help me..."



"Shh... it's going to be ok, just wait, baby, just try to rest." She laid a kiss on his brow and brushed his hair back from his forehead. "I'm here, and we'll get through this."



He grasped her hand more tightly to him. "I don't want to hurt anymore."



"I know."



"You don't fucking know what this is like, I just want it to end."



"Shh.."



"No, my eyes are finally clear, I get it, I don't want to be here anymore."



Buffy squeezed her eyes shut and grabbed the pills she and Fred had debated continuing to give Spike. They didn't want to make him dependent on the sleeping pills, but at this point, he was in too much pain to stay conscious.



"Take these."



He swallowed them and grabbed her hands, pulling her close to him.



"Give me more."



"Spike-"



"No, Buffy, look at me, look in my eyes. This is me, Spike, the man that loves you. Give me that bottle and go to your room."



Buffy's heart felt as if it had stopped beating for a moment. "Spike, please don't ask me that."



"I know, baby, I'm sorry, but I never said I was strong enough for this."



"Stop, just fucking stop it."



His eyes started to droop and he tried to hold her to him. "Buffy, please, just let me."



She kissed him softly but didn't speak and he fell asleep in the middle of begging her.



***



Days later, Spike's hallucinations were rarer and rarer. He still managed to scare her enough to keep Fred around however. While he seemed to get better physically, his slid deeper and deeper into himself.



Every time he attacked her verbally or attempted to hurt her physically, the aftermath seemed to nearly kill him.



They hadn't spoken of his request for her to kill him, but she could see he was deeply ashamed. Not just because of that, but all of it.



He started to get out of bed again. In the mornings he began to come down for coffee with she and Fred. He didn't talk as much as he used to and neither of them pushed him to. He was still very weak, Buffy didn't like the idea of letting him bathe alone, but once he was able to stay completely conscious for longer periods of time she couldn't deny him that anymore. She knew that he felt his dignity was slipping away, but she didn't know how to reassure him.



Three weeks after Spike took his last drug, he was finally free of the major withdrawal symptoms. His body still ached slightly at night, but mostly he was fine on his own.



He had never been so distant from Buffy however. She tried to talk to him, but he still had a hard time facing her. After all that he'd put her through, all the things he said, and the way he must have seemed to her. He just didn't feel like the same person he was when he started this whole thing.



"Spike?"



He turned quickly at the sound of Buffy's voice. "Yeah, luv?"



She sat down next to him on the swing on the patio. "Can we talk?"



He shifted uncomfortably but tried a smile for her sake. "Sure."



She swallowed and wiped her palms on her pants. "Do you... I mean, I feel like something's off with us."



"What do you mean?"



She looked at him, and he could see the pain in her eyes. "Spike, please don't."



He swallowed hard and looked down. "I know, I'm sorry."



"Did I... what is it?"



He shook his head and looked out over the backyard. "Buffy, 'course it has nothing to do with you. You've been bloody amazing. Never had anyone do so much for me, never known that someone could love me that much."



She sighed in slight relief and reached for his hand. She was comforted when he didn't pull away, but held on tightly. "You've been better for a while, and, I feel like I haven't even seen you. What's wrong?"



He turned to look in her eyes and she saw the problem. She should have known. "Oh, Spike..."



He looked down and saw his tears stain his pants. "God, Buffy," he whispered raggedly.



She grabbed his face in her hands and pulled him up for a tender kiss. "Spike," she whispered against his lips. "I've missed you."



He buried his face in her neck and let his tears fall. "How can you see me as the man you loved after everything I've said, all I've done to you."



Buffy held him tighter. "Spike, please don't think that.. I see you as you are. I've never blamed you for any of that... You did it, you beat your addiction, how can I not be proud of you?"



She bent her head and pulled back. She waited for him to meet her eyes before she kissed him again, this time with more passion. It assured him that she wasn't just there out of pity, she wanted him, desired him, just what he needed from her.



He brought his hand up to her hair and let it run through his fingers as he deepened the kiss. Her hands caressed his back, moving under his shirt to move against the scarred surface. She traced the marks, showing him she still accepted every ugly part of him. He broke the kiss and nuzzled her neck. "Buffy... my beautiful girl... I love you so much..."



She kissed his neck and hugged him tightly. "I love you too. I never want to lose you again."



"You won't, I swear."



They remained like that until the sun was gone. Fred smiled and pinned a note to the door before letting herself out.

Pledgin' My Time by lucky021

A/N: Sorry this is short, but I wanted to get this little necessary bit out of the way before they could move on with everything. Thanks for all the reviews, they're greatly appreciated. Keep them coming and enjoy.



Well, early in the mornin'
'Til late at night,
I got a poison headache,
But I feel all right.
I'm pledging my time to you,
Hopin' you'll come through, too.

-Bob Dylan, "Pledgin' My Time"



 


Spike felt Buffy shiver against him and he tightened his arms around her.



"Cold, luv?"



Buffy tried to burrow deeper into his arms and nodded.



"A little."



Spike buried his nose in her hair and inhaled deeply.



"Should we go in?"



She turned in his arms and looked up at him.



"Will you come upstairs with me?"



Spike met her eyes questioningly.



"You sure, sweet?"



Buffy kissed him softly and nodded before standing and taking his hand. He winced a little as he stood and Buffy began to fuss over him but he waved her off and allowed her to lead him inside. They noticed the note from Fred on the door and smiled at her encouraging words, deciding to take her advice and go in the next morning.



Spike got more and more nervous as they walked up the stairs. He wasn't sure what she expected, and he wasn't sure what he was ready to give, but he couldn't disappoint her. He would let her set the pace.



They reached his room and Buffy turned on the lamp next to the bed before closing the door behind them. She came back to him and smiled up at him reassuringly before kissing him softly. The more she touched him, the more he was ready for.



She touched his hands and guided them up to her shirt in a silent plea for him to remove it. He fumbled with the buttons for a moment, his hands trembling, half from fear, half from his still occasionally cramping hands. She reached up and helped him with the rest, kissing his hands before releasing them and unbuttoning her pants herself. She slid them off along with her underwear and stood before him naked.



Spike's breathing had quickened considerably since the whole thing began, but he still hadn't made a move. Buffy reached up and drew him in for another kiss, hoping he would start to take a more active role. His arms came up to wrap around her waist and his hands rubbed up and down her back.



She took it as a sign he was ready to continue and tugged his shirt out of his pants. He lifted his arms and allowed her to pull it over his head. She bent and kissed a path down his neck to his chest. His hands gripped her shoulders and he moaned softly when she wrapped her lips around one of his nipples.



"Buffy..." he sighed softly, his hand running through her hair. He pulled her back up for a kiss and buried both hands in her hair.



They broke the kiss when they needed air and Spike allowed her to continue down his body to focus back on his chest and nipples. She knew how sensitive they were, and she bit down softly, causing him to moan and arch his body into hers.



She smiled against his skin and moved to his back, tracing his scars with her lips and running her hands up and down his abdomen. When she felt him begin to tremble, his arousal becoming too much for him, she reached for his belt and began to undo it.



His hand stopped her and she moved in front of him to look in his eyes.



"What is it?"



He avoided her eyes and covered her hands with his. "I.."



"Shh..." She wrapped her arms back around him and pulled him close. "It's ok, let's just get into bed and rest."



He nodded and motioned for her to get into bed. She shut off the light and he pulled his pants off before sliding in next to her. She pulled his arms around her and kissed him softly, trying to draw him back out of his shell.



He broke the kiss and searched out her eyes. "Buffy, I'm sorry-"



"Shh, don't worry about it. I shouldn't have pushed you, you're not even completely better yet."



He nodded slightly and laid his head on her breast, his hands running up and down her sides. "I want to, it's just..."



She felt he needed to get something out so she was silent while he gathered his thoughts.



He propped himself up on his elbows so that he was looking down into her face. "I love you."



"I know."



"I want to be with you. I want.. I want all of you, but.." He looked away from her and sighed. "Soon, yeah?"



Buffy nodded and pulled him back down. She kissed the top of his head and ran her fingers through his hair until she was sure he was asleep.



***



They woke the next morning, feeling better than they had in a long time. They showered and dressed quickly before going to meet Fred.



She was waiting for them outside the practice and they decided to go up behind the building where there was a trail leading to a meadow for their session. Spike had been cooped up long enough, they figured he'd enjoy some fresh air.



They reached their destination and sat on some logs near a river before Fred finally decided they were ready to begin.



"So, last night.. what happened after I left?"



Buffy took a deep breath and readied herself to bare all without embarrassment before squeezing Spike's hand and beginning. "We.. didn't have sex. We did sleep in the same bed, though."



"Any particular reason why?"



"Why no sex, or why the same bed?"



"Both."



Buffy glanced at Spike and he shifted a little before he started to speak. "We... I guess we resolved some things, about our relationship now. We were going to... I wasn't ready."



Fred nodded and looked Spike over a bit before saying anything. "You want to tell me why you weren't ready, what it was that held you back?"



"Just... wasn't ready."



Fred's first instinct was the pursue it, but the look he gave her told her he'd talk to her later. She nodded and looked back at Buffy. "What were some of the things you guys resolved?"



"I guess.. just that he can trust me. I still love him as much as I always did. I told him he didn't have to be ashamed of anything, that I was proud of him."



"Is that it, Spike?"



He nodded but didn't speak.



"Ok, well what about some of the things that were a problem in your relationship before?" Neither of them spoke and Fred decided to give them a few clues. "The night that Spike ran out. You guys had been engaging in some stuff that you hadn't done before. Have you told Buffy your feelings about all that, Spike?"



He shook his head and turned to look at Buffy. "What is it?"



"I..." He looked down and shook his head before meeting her eyes again. "You know, what I said about it, that it was just the beginning of it, that Dru and I... we had done those things. I couldn't... we hurt each other, not just emotionally. Buffy, I used to... I don't want that to happen with us. I let things get out of hand with Dru more than once, I hurt her, there were times when that was what she wanted, and sometimes it was just what I took from her, she wasn't happy about it. I can't do that to you."



"Spike, Buffy, listen. Those kinds of sexual practices, the games, roleplaying, all of that... It comes down to trust. Do you trust your partner, are you willing to give up everything to them, to be wild and free with what you want?"



"It's not that I don't trust Buffy, I don't trust me."



"I know, and that's what we're trying to fix. Your relationship with Drusilla left you with no clear understanding of how far you can take those kinds of things. We've talked about some of the things you've done. She broke you down to your most basic desires: want, take, have. That's all your relationship was about. What you have with Buffy, it's give and take, I've seen it. You trust Buffy, trust her enough to trust you. You love her, and she knows it, and she loves you. There won't be a problem, Spike, you're too in control of yourself now, you've learned too much from each other."



Spike looked over at Buffy and saw the pleading in her eyes. She wanted so much for him to be able to let go with her, and he wanted to, it was just so hard.



"It will take time, baby, but we'll get there."



He nodded and kissed the hand that was holding his.



Fred smiled and cleared her throat. "I think that's good for today, you guys work on that and we'll talk tomorrow."



They thanked her and walked back to the car. Spike told Buffy to wait in the car while he talked to Fred. She kissed his cheek and got in.



"Fred?"



"You ready to tell me what was going on?"



He swallowed hard and stared at his feet.



"Spike, come-"



"I couldn't do it."



"What?"



He looked up at her and took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "I wasn't... She was there, and I wanted her so badly. She did all the right things, touched me in all the right places. I felt like I was getting there, but... nothing happened."



Fred stared at him for a minute before finally digesting all he had said. "You couldn't... get an erection?"



He nodded and his cheeks flamed.



"Spike, there are a lot of reasons why that could be happening now. You just came off a drug that was basically providing all of your pleasure centers with fuel, now they have to make their own. You're recovering still, you're tired and stressed, that can cause it as well. It could be psychological, you may be afraid to be intimate with Buffy again because of the last few times that it occurred."



Spike's head swam and he wasn't sure whether or not to be relieved by some of the possibilities or just as horrified as he had been the night before.



"If it is the drugs.. it's not permanent, right?"



Fred shook her head. "Probably not, I doubt this will be a problem for much longer, but if it is, talk to me about it again, and we'll see what we can do to correct it."



He nodded nervously and looked back to Buffy. "Spike?"



"Yeah?"



"Put a little faith in yourself and in her, and I think you might have an easier time with everything, ok?"



He nodded and hugged her gently. "Thank you."



"Your welcome, I'll see you tomorrow."



He nodded and walked to the car. When he got in Buffy smiled at him, and he could tell she was curious, but she didn't ask and he was grateful. He put the keys in the ignition and then reached over and took her hand. "You want to do something special today, pet?"



"What do you have in mind?"



"A surprise."



She smiled and he leaned in to kiss her softly.



"I like surprises."

Love Minus Zero/No Limit by lucky021

A/N: Sorry, know it’s been a long time, but I had finals this week and last so I’ve been a bit busy. But now I’ve got a two and half week break before fall semester starts, and I’m all kinds of excited to finish this mother. So here’s hoping I can do it. Thanks so much for all the reviews, so please continue and enjoy!



My love she speaks like silence,
Without ideals or violence,
She doesn't have to say she's faithful,
Yet she's true, like ice, like fire.
People carry roses,
Make promises by the hours,
My love she laughs like the flowers,
Valentines can't buy her.


-Bob Dylan, “Love Minus Zero/No Limit”



Buffy and Spike drove back to the house to gather some things Spike insisted they would need for his surprise. He asked her to wait in the car while he gathered everything. Buffy was getting more and more curious about his plans, particularly on the heels of their session with Fred. She still didn't know what he needed to speak with her about, but she had a feeling it was something to do with their abbreviated encounter the previous night.



Spike slammed the trunk of the car and knocked Buffy from her musings. He smiled broadly as he got into the car and raised her hand to his lips, kissing it softly before starting the car and backing out of the driveway.



"Ready to tell me where we're going?"



Spike grinned and then turned back to the road. "Wouldn't be a surprise then, would it, pet?"



"What if I don't like surprises?"



"You just told me you did."



"Whatever," she said, mock-petulantly unable to hold in the slight smile.



He grinned wider and reached for her hand again, this time not letting it go. The fact that he could make her heart beat a little faster just by taking her hand was a little disconcerting to her. She didn't know if it was because they'd touched so little of each other for so long, or because his mere presence always excited her. She'd never felt this strongly for anyone.



She squeezed his hand and settled back into her chair for the ride.



***



When they arrived at their destination, Spike asked her to wait for him while he took everything and set it up for them. Minutes later he was back, and she closed her eyes at his request while he lead her over the hill blocking the car's view of where he was taking her.



Finally, he moved behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her close to him.



"Open your eyes, luv," he whispered in her ear.



Buffy opened her eyes slowly. "Oh, Spike."



"You like it, then?"



She pulled his arms tighter around her and breathed in the scent of the trees and clean, fresh air. "It's beautiful, where are we?"



"Dad owns quite a bit of land up here, this is part of it."



"The whole lake?!"



Spike chuckled and looked around. The lake wasn't huge, but it was quite beautiful, the water was clear and clean, the area surrounding it was covered in dense forest. They were on the only part of the shore that could facilitate actual relaxing on a blanket with a picnic, which is what it seemed Spike had planned.



"He inherited a lot of money, bought a lot of land with it all over the place. He really loves it up here."



Buffy turned in his arms and kissed the corner of his mouth quickly. "I love it here too."



He smiled down at her and wondered for the millionth time how he'd gotten so lucky to have found her. They were silent, staring at each other, and he could feel her trying to figure out what was still bothering him, but he wasn't quite ready to let her know.



He looked away and she stepped back slightly, looking to the side.



Spike cursed himself for ruining the moment and tried for a smile. "Hungry, pet?"



She nodded and smiled back at him, though this time he could tell she was a little upset by his rejection of her. He didn't know a way to make it up to her, so he just moved to help her sit and started to unload the basket.



"What are you in the mood for? Got fruit, cheese, bread, some whipped cream..." He smiled up at her and some of the tension melted away.



She reached into the basket herself and found a bottle of wine. He looked up at her a little guiltily. "I thought... maybe... wouldn't drink much, y'know, just-"



"Spike, it's ok. We're here together, I think you can control yourself."



He knew she was right, there wasn't a chance of him getting drunk with Buffy right there with him, open and ready and willing for anything he wanted to give her, but he couldn't help but feel a little guilty about it.



He nodded and brought out the glasses, pouring a small amount for the both of them and handing one to her.



"Come sit with me."



Spike realized he'd been kneeling on the grass with the basket between them, with no intention of getting any closer to her.



He moved over to her on his knees and she pushed him to sit and then moved between his legs, wrapping his arms back around her. He sighed into her hair and kissed her temple lightly.



"What should we toast to?"



Buffy drew designs on his hand covering her stomach. "The future? Cliche, but apt?"



He smiled against her and nodded. They clinked their glasses and Spike took a long swallow. Suddenly he wasn't sure what he should be doing. They should have eaten first, didn't people drink wine and have toasts when they were getting ready for the night to get good?



But he wasn't sure it would get good, if he could get it to get good. He'd looked like a complete ponce since before she'd come to help him here, and now, if he couldn't even give her the one thing he was good for, what was the bloody point?



Buffy felt him tense behind her the longer they sat together, the more she could feel him retreating into himself. She tried stroking his arms and knees, but he didn't respond. Finally, she got an idea.



"Spike?"



"Yes, luv?"



"You own this place, right? So no one comes here except you?"



"Yeah," he said warily, not sure about where she was taking this.



"Want to be a little naughty?"



"Buffy..."



She stood and turned to look at him with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. “I want to go swimming.”



Spike sat up straight and looked hard at her. “No swimsuits, pet.”



Her smile got wider and he swallowed hard. “That’s half the fun.”



She started to lift her shirt and he stood hastily. “Buffy, wait, it’s five in the bloody afternoon, pretty light out still.”



She finished taking her shirt off and smiled when he gulped at the sight of her lace covered breasts. “No one comes here, you said so, it could be noon and we’d be ok.”



Spike looked around, desperate for an excuse. He snapped his finger and tried for an apologetic face. “Wait, it’s pretty damn cold in there, baby, don’t want you to get sick. Guess we’ve go to go back.”



She shook her head and pulled her pants down her legs along with her panties and began to unhook her bra. “Guess you’ll have to keep me warm then.”



Before he could grab her she skipped off down to the shore and waded in. He clenched and unclenched his fists, weighing his options. She was bloody gorgeous in the sun, all wet, her nipples hard due to the cold, little drops of water making delicious paths down her-



“Well hello, decide to come out of hiding now do you?” He sighed, staring down at his pants which were becoming tighter and tighter the more he thought of Buffy prancing about near the lake.



He stripped off his shirt and toed off his boots before beginning to run after her, still tugging his pants off. He dove into the water after her and immediately wished he hadn’t.



“Oh holy bloody fuck, that’s cold!”



Buffy smiled and swam up to him, wrapping her arms around his neck. “I’m glad you decided to join me.”



He smiled his first genuine one since coming here. “Never doubted it, did you, luv? Know I’d go to the ends of the earth for you.”



She rested her forehead against his and rubbed their noses together. “Yeah...”



Their lips met, tentative at first, just tasting each other again, getting reacquainted with the feel of each other’s lips. She sighed into the kiss and her tongue darted out to lick his lips. Spike opened his mouth and let his tongue come out to play with hers.



They broke the kiss when air became an issue and Spike smiled against her cheek. “This is good, yeah?”



Buffy nodded and nibbled on his ear lightly. Spike let out a small sound, closer to a whimper than a moan and Buffy let her legs float up to wrap around his waist.



“Is this ok?”



Spike trembled against her and pressed his now very hard cock between her thighs. “More than ok, luv.”



Buffy moaned into his neck at the feel of him against her highly sensitive flesh. “Spike...”



He silenced her with a kiss and pressed himself harder against her. His hands moved down to grip her ass and pull her closer. She let her hands wander up his chest and she felt his cock jump against her when she brushed his nipples and his knees suddenly felt very weak.



The more Buffy touched him, the more of her skin he covered in kisses and caressed, the weaker his legs became. When they almost gave out he realized it wasn’t so much about his arousal as his still weakened body.



He moved his lips from her skin and pulled back a little bit.



Buffy looked up at him, confused and worried and he kissed her softly to reassure her. “Maybe we should move this back onto shore.” Her brow furrowed further and before he could explain, his left leg failed him.



They both sputtered as they broke the surface of the water again and she looked at him oddly before realization suddenly dawned on her.



“Oh, Spike! Baby, I’m so sorry, I can’t believe I didn’t think of it. You’re still getting better and I try to jump you in the most painful way possible.”



He shook his head and smiled before pulling her against him. “Feel like it was all that painful?”



She smiled and took his hand, leading him out of the water and onto the blanket. He settled in next to her and pulled the blanket up around them. They kissed leisurely under the blanket, their tongues engaged in a slow dance, neither felt the need to rush things.



Spike especially wanted this time to be perfect. They were starting all over, he’d been given the chance again, for no reason he could fathom, but he was more than willing to take it.



His hands squeezed and fondled her breasts before his mouth descended to take one hard nipple into his mouth. Buffy groaned above him, threading her fingers through his hair and holding him to her.



“Oh, god Spike!”



He made his way back up her body and dipped a hand between her legs to feel if she was ready for him.



“Been so long, Buffy, want to be inside you.”



She kissed him hard and opened her legs, wrapping them around his waist. He positioned himself at her entrance and locked his eyes with hers before sliding in slowly.



“Yess...”



Buffy couldn’t keep looking into his eyes, it was too intense. She threw her head back and cried out as he hit the sweet spot inside her. “Spike, oh yes!”



He couldn’t help himself, he thrust inside her with abandon, her heat burning him from the inside out, he’d never felt anything as magnificent as her. Her hands found their way down his back, clutching his ass and pushing him harder into her. He groaned and felt his balls begin to tighten.



“Fuck, Buffy, I’m sorry, I can’t.... oh god, Buffy!”



He came hard, spurting inside her for what seemed like forever. The feel of his hot seed filling her womb set her off and she cried out for him as her body arched off the ground, her breasts pressing against his sweat slicked chest.



They collapsed together onto the blanket, breathing hard. Spike covered her neck and chest in sloppy kisses, all the while whispering of his love to her.



Buffy managed to lift a limp hand up to his head and stroke his hair. “That was-”



“- bloody amazing?”



She smiled goofily down at him, “yeah.”



Spike moved up her body and she rested her head on his chest while he wrapped a strand of hair around his finger and kissed the top of her head. “I’m sorry about last night, Buffy, it should have been then.”



She propped herself up on her elbows and looked down at him. “What happened?”



He rubbed a hand over his brow and shrugged. “I don’t even know. I just couldn’t.”



She was about to comment that he wasn’t answering her question, but then she realized what he meant. “Oh. What... oh. And you don’t know-”



“It wasn’t you, Buffy.”



She blushed slightly and looked away. “Is that what you asked Fred about?”



Spike sat up and touched her cheek. “Buffy, look at me.”



She avoided his eyes for a moment but finally looked up.



“I didn’t say anything to you because I was mortified. I don’t know why it happened. Fred told me it could have been a number of things, but none of them were about you. Due to the fact I didn’t need much coaxing just now, I’m thinking it was something to do with the drugs. Just my body being confused, unable to understand pleasure. Never you, Buffy, even when I couldn’t.. y’know, I still felt turned on everywhere else. You make me so hot, make me feel so good. Never think I don’t desire you every single second.”



Buffy felt ridiculous for letting him know she was... what, hurt? insulted? about it. She knew it wasn’t about her, he was having all the right responses from the waist up, but she wanted to be able to get to him no matter what, even in spite of his body.



Spike pulled her against him and kissed her neck. “Buffy, I love you.”



She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before turning to face him. “I know, I love you too.”



He pulled her back down so that they could lay together, their legs entwined, arms around each other. He loved being this close to her again, he never wanted to leave this place.



“I kept writing.. even during... and I think I’ve got something.”



“Got something? Like a novel or what?”



He shrugged. “Don’t know, just know I’ve got a lot of stuff, and I think it’s pretty good. If we ever get back to California I was going to talk to Wes about it. Though I imagine he’s right pissed with me.”



“You’re his favorite student, he’ll understand what happened.”



Spike just shrugged and she understood that he didn’t really want to talk about it anymore. They lay together, touching and kissing lightly for a while until Buffy felt his cock pressing hard into her thigh. She smiled and sat up, straddling his thighs.



She trailed her fingers from his cheeks to his thighs and drew patterns around the area he needed her touch the most, making him squirm. His cock was long and hard, pearly fluid leaking slowly from the tip and dripping onto his stomach.



“See how hard you make me, luv?” he asked, his hands squeezing her thighs, where he held on for dear life.



She smiled until she really got clear sight of him for the first time since everything began here. He was skinny before, but this was different.



Spike noticed the change and tilted his head. “What is it, Buffy?”



When she met his eyes, he saw tears there. “Buffy?”



“Oh, Spike...”



She traced the tiny scars she could see on his chest and arms and finally moved to cup his face. “I’m so glad you’re better.”



He wasn’t sure what brought this on, but he couldn’t stand to see her cry for him. He sat up and pulled her to him. “Shh... ‘s’alright, luv. I’m alright.”



She sniffled against him for a moment, but the sound of his voice, and the feel of his too skinny and scarred body brought everything she’d been bottling up for the past month out. She sobbed against his shoulder hard, clutching him to her almost painfully. “I love you so much, I’m so happy you’re back...”



“Shh.. Love you too, baby, ‘s okay...”



She stayed crying against him for a while, before she reached between them and stroked him back to hardness. He wasn’t exactly sure what to think, her moods were so mercurial right now. When she sank down onto him and held him tight, rocking slowly, he thought he understood. This was to reassure her that he was really here.



He buried his face in her neck and kissed her softly. “I’ll never leave you again, Buffy, I swear it. Love you so much.”



Her pace picked up and soon they were crying out together. He held her to him as they came down and stroked her hair.



“Spike?”



“Yes, luv?”



“I want to go home.”



He pulled back and looked at her, trying to decide what she meant. He nodded and kissed her softly.



“Let’s go pack.”

One of Us Must Know by lucky021

A/N: Sorry this is so late. It's been hectic. Everyone is going back to school and I had the worst hangover of my life, possibly made worse by food poisoning. So here's this, hope you like it, and more soon! Reviews are always loved!



I couldn't see what you could show me
Your scarf had kept your mouth well hid
I couldn't see how you could know me
But you said you knew me and I believed you did
When you whispered in my ear
And asked me if I was leavin' with you or her
I didn't realize just what I did hear
I didn't realize how young you were

But, sooner or later, one of us must know
You just did what you're supposed to do
Sooner or later, one of us must know
That I really did try to get close to you
-Bob Dylan, "One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)"



 


Buffy made the necessary calls and before they knew it, their bags were packed and the taxi was waiting outside the house. Spike stopped short of climbing into the car and turned to look at the place that had seen the best and worst of him in the past few weeks.



Buffy got back out of the taxi and touched his shoulder lightly.



"C'mon, Spike, we'll be back soon."



He smiled and kissed her temple lightly before helping her back in and sitting himself.



***



The trip was uneventful and slightly tense. There was no chance for naughty fun on the plane as they were both nervous about their reception in California. Buffy knew that eventually Spike would be welcomed back with open arms, and she was positive they still loved him just as much as before he left, but it was going to be a while before they could trust him again.



Anya and Xander would be the worst. They had spent a great deal of time worrying themselves sick about him. Willow and Tara had been worried too, but they could calm down and think rationally about the situation without breaking, Anya and Xander hadn't been so stable.



They finally made it back to the house and Spike stopped before making it all the way up the walk.



"It'll be ok."



Spike looked at her with vulnerable, pain filled eyes. "Will it?"



Buffy dropped her bags and wrapped her arms around his waist and he pulled her close, burying his face in her hair.



"They love you, they want you home."



He took in a shuddering breath. "I hurt them, I didn't want to and I did, and they know I lied."



"You didn't lie, they weren't at all upset about any of that. They were just worried, and it hurt them that you let them worry. It's not too terrible a thing to have done."



Spike pulled back and kissed her sweetly on the lips, pressing his forehead against hers when he broke away. "Thank you for being here."



"I'll always be here, haven't you gotten that yet?"



He smiled and kissed her quickly once more before taking a deep breath, grabbing his bag and walking the rest of the way up the walk, his hand tightly holding hers.



They opened the door slowly and dropped their luggage in a heap in the entranceway.



"Anybody home?"



"Buffy?"



Tara came quickly down the stairs and stopped when she saw Spike standing there.



"'Lo, luv. Long time no see."



Tara smiled before running to him and wrapping her arms around him in a tight hug. "Don't you ever run off again!"



He brought his arms up around her shoulders and held her just as tightly. "I'm so sorry, pet, just couldn't do it here."



She pulled back and looked him in the eye. Her hand came up to brush some hair from his forehead. "I know, it's ok. I'm just glad you're finally better."



They stared at each other for a moment, conveying things without words, and Buffy had to turn away. She couldn't be jealous, there was nothing that Spike felt for Tara that was more than what he felt for her, but it was such an intimate moment, she felt like an intruder.



Spike cupped Tara's cheek in his hand and kissed her forehead, feeling the years of unresolved tension begin to drain away. "Better everyday, luv."



Willow came up from behind them and squeezed Buffy in welcome. "Should we be worried?"



Spike turned quickly and his eyes went to the floor. He felt ashamed and guilty and definitely not the kind of big brother such a woman should have in that moment.



Willow knew they look and pulled him into a tighter hug than Tara, and not a little violent. "You ever do something like this without telling me again, and I'll... I don't know what, but it won't be pleasant. Maybe involving hot pokers or screenings of Gigli."



Spike laughed loudly, and Buffy could see the unshed tears in his eyes. She knew Willow was the second most important person in his life. If he had felt like he'd let someone down that he was responsible for it was her.



"Gotcha, Red. Not again."



Willow pulled back and glared. "I can't believe you told Dad and not me."



"I couldn't... Things have changed, pet. We're not the same people we were-"



"I know. And I know he had to help you with some things. I was kidding."



He nodded and hugged her again.



"I'm guessing not everyone is going to be happy to see me."



Willow and Tara stepped back from him, looking very uncomfortable.



"They left, then?" Spike knew the answer before they nodded and he swore under his breath before running a slightly shaking hand through his hair. "You know where?"



Tara gave him a look and he sighed. He turned to Buffy and took her hands in his. "I've got to talk to them."



"I know."



"You trust me?"



Buffy gave him a wary look. "You know I do. What's going on?"



He kissed her hands and looked her in the eye. "They're at the pub, and I've got to go. Alone."



They looked at each other for a moment and Buffy's eyes softened. "Are you sure?"



"Yeah, I'll call if things get bad, ok?"



"Call before things get bad."



Spike nodded and kissed her quickly before turning and kissing Willow and Tara's cheeks goodbye.



"I'll be back soon. I hope."



They watched him get into the DeSoto and drive away. "Were they very angry?"



Tara and Willow grabbed Buffy's arms and led her into the kitchen. "I think we should have some ice cream."



"Oh shit."



***



Spike smoothed his hair down and took a steadying breath before walking into the pub. He spotted Anya and Xander in their usual place near the back. They didn't look happy.



Spike walked back and waited for them to look up from their beers.



"Hello, luvs."



Xander didn't look up before standing abruptly and storming out. Anya stood a bit unsteadily and began to follow but Spike touched her arm.



"Ahn, please..."



She finally met his eyes and he could tell she'd been crying. "You really know how to fuck things up, Spike."



"Luv, I'm so bloody sorry, I didn't mean for you to worry, I just couldn't-"



"What? Drop us a line? How fucking hard would it have been to leave us a note? At least you could have let Buffy tell us!"



He looked down and knew she was right, but at the time things had been so crazy, he wasn't ready for any of it. "All I can say is that I'm sorry, and... I never meant to hurt you."



Anya just stood still for a moment, and when Spike slowly tried to put his arms around her she let him. "We missed you."



He held her tighter and smiled into her shoulder when he felt her arms come around him. "I missed you too, so bloody much. Wasn't sure I'd make it through."



She squeezed him tighter. "How could you not have told us you were still..."



"Ahn-"



"How could we not know?!"



Spike pulled her tighter when he felt her start to shake. "I hid it well, my Dad, he's the only one that knew, and he only knew because he put me on it."



"You were going through hell, and Xander and I just played around with you-"



"Anya, you didn't play with me, we love each other, yeah?"



"Yeah."



"Then what we did, everything we had together, it was good. I'm not about to jump back into bed with you two, but I still love you, and I don't regret a second we spent together."



"Me neither."



They held each other for a moment longer before Anya pulled back. "You should go find him. He's really upset."



Spike nodded and kissed her cheek and her forehead before stepping away. "Wait here for us."



Spike ran out the door and ducked into the alley nearby. He scanned the area and didn't have to wait long before he found Xander.



Or rather, his face found Xander's fist.



Spike hit the ground hard, stars dancing behind his eyes. "What the bloody hell was that for?!"



Xander stood above him, his fists clenching and unclenching, his breath coming in quick pants. "You fucking bastard!"



"Xand, wait a minute-"



"Shut up. You left, and you didn't even have to fucking decency to tell us. Anya and I spent days looking for you. Searched this whole fucking place for you! We didn't know if you were dead in some alley, fucking around with Dru or what!"



Spike stood and gingerly touched his eye. Already it was beginning to swell. "Xander, listen. I know you feel like I bloody abandoned you, and you're half right, but I wasn't sure what the hell was happening to me. I couldn't think straight, and those were my bad decisions. I want to apologize, and I want you to accept it, but I'll understand if you don't. You know I love you, do bloody anything for you, but I had to do this for me."



Spike stepped forward and took Xander's face in his hands. "I was fucking dying here, Xand. I was slowly fading away. I would have hurt you, hurt Anya, hurt everybody. It took me nearly doing something to Buffy to get that I needed help. Can you please get that I didn't want it to touch you, that's why I had to leave."



Xander looked him in the eyes for a moment before nodding slightly. "I need some time."



Spike stepped back and nodded, even as his heart clenched painfully. "I get it."



They stood awkwardly for a moment before Xander brought his hand up to Spike's face and kissed him softly. "It'll be ok, man. I promise."



Spike watched as he walked back into the pub and sighed before beginning the walk back to the DeSoto and home.



***



Buffy was waiting for him in their room when he got back.



"Jesus, what happened to your face?"



Spike grinned ruefully and shrugged. "Ran into an angry fist."



"Should I get some ice."



He shook his head and pulled her to him. "Just want you."



She pushed his jacket off of his shoulders and pulled his shirt out of his pants. Spike toed off his boots and Buffy did the same before they climbed into bed together.



"What happened?"



Spike nuzzled her neck and shrugged.



"Spike..."



He sighed and kissed her shoulder before propping himself up on his elbow. "It'll be ok. Anya and I talked, we're fine. Xander was upset, obviously, but he said he was ok. Just needed some time alone."



Buffy nodded and kissed him softly. "And you're ok?"



"It hurt, but I'll get over it. Just wish things could go back to the way they were before."



"That never happens, but sometimes it's better. You guys have been through so much. This can only make your relationship stronger."



Spike leaned in and kissed her. Their tongues stroked each other languidly, stoking a slow building fire. Buffy rolled onto her back and pulled him with her. "Made ours stronger, didn't it?"



"Mmmm..."



Spike's hands reached her covered breasts and Buffy pulled her shirt over her head, allowing his nimble fingers to undo the clasp on her bra.



"Beautful," he murmured against her breasts.



"You always say that."



He smiled and kissed each nipple softly, causing her to press her chest more firmly against him. "True, innit?"



Buffy didn't answer, but reached down to unbutton and unzip his pants, freeing his already hard cock from its confines. He yanked her pants down at the same time and gasped when her fingers wrapped around him. He reached between her legs and had to lean his forehead against her shoulder when he felt how wet she already was.



"So wet, Buffy, this for me?"



"Been thinking about you ever since you left."



He growled against her shoulder and moved up until his mouth could reach hers. They kissed slowly as Buffy positioned him at her entrance and he pushed inside with one quick thrust.



"Oh Jesus, you feel... like heaven..."



Buffy thrust up against him and kissed him harder. They pushed and pulled, bringing each other to a quick but satisfying orgasm. She bit into his shoulder as she came, not wanting to alert Tara and Willow to their activities. When Spike felt the sting of her teeth he came hard, thrusting with abandon into her.



He collapsed on top of her, panting. They kissed again, slowly before he rolled off and pulled her against him. "Love you, Buffy."



She kissed his shoulder where she bit him and smiled. "Love-"



Her phone ringing in her discarded pants interrupted her and she wondered who would be calling her. Spike grabbed her phone off the floor and handed it to her. "Bloody irritating things."



She smiled and answered it, not recognizing the number. "Buffy Summers."



Spike watched her smile fade and her face go pale. "Buffy?"



"Thank you, I'll be getting in touch within the next day."



She set the phone down and sat still, staring at nothing.



"Buffy, luv, what is it?"



Finally she looked over at him. "My father's dead."



***

Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight by lucky021

A/N: I really like this chapter, I hope you do to. Thanks to my loyal reviewers, I'm so glad you're enjoying this. I hope you'll like what's coming next.



Don't fall apart on me tonight,
I just don't think that I could handle it.
Don't fall apart on me tonight,
Yesterday's just a memory,
Tomorrow is never what it's supposed to be
And I need you, yeah.

-Bob Dylan, "Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight"



Spike didn't know what to say. Buffy had barely mentioned her father, and when she did, it wasn't pleasant. He did know, however, that Buffy shouldn't just be staring off into space like she wasn't even there.



"Buffy? Luv, you ok?"



Buffy didn't react and Spike reached up to take her shoulders. "Buffy, look at me." When she didn't move he shook her gently and raised his voice. "Buffy!"



Finally she turned her head and met his eyes. "He's dead."



Spike sighed in relief and pulled her closer. "I'm sorry, luv. What happened?"



"He had a heart attack. He was in Spain with his secretary."



Spike pulled her to him and held her tight, feeling her tremble slightly, but she still wasn't crying. Spike didn't know what to think of that. She didn't seem to have much of a relationship with him, but a parent was a parent. Even when he and Rupert had been at their worst, his death would have broken Spike.



"Where was Dawn?"



Buffy sat back quickly and reached for her phone. "Oh my God, I didn't even think about it. What kind of sister am I? God, she must be so upset. Where is she going to live?!"



Spike put a hand over hers on the phone and cupped her cheek in his hand, trying to catch her eyes. "Buffy, hey, look at me."



"Spike, just let me call!"



"Wait, pet-"



"Don't... just give me the phone and leave me alone."



"You know I'm not gonna leave you alone, not now. Buffy-"



"Spike, just shut-up, I have people to deal with, ok. Not everything is about us. I've got to take care of Dawn, I should have been doing that immediately."



Spike swallowed hard and tried not to lose his temper. "Buffy, please look at me," his voice was soft and soothing and she felt some of the tension drain out of her.



She finally made eye contact and he leaned in and kissed her softly. He was half-afraid she would pull away, but when she returned his kiss and leaned her forehead against his, seeking strength and comfort, he relaxed. "She's going to be ok. You were in shock for a moment there, it's ok to have not thought of everything. Why don't you take a second here to figure out what you feel about all this before you talk to her. This could turn into one huge emotional train wreck over the phone if you're not careful."



Buffy let out a breath and reached up to cup his face, kissing him again. "Thank you."



"I'm always here for you, Buffy. You can't push me away, I don't take no for an answer."



She smiled wryly and shook her head. "Yeah, I know."



They were silent for a moment and Spike moved to sit behind her.



"What are you doing?"



"Just trust me, luv. Lean forward and relax. Tell ol' Spike what's going on in that pretty little head of yours."



His hands ran up and down her bare back and finally settled on her shoulders, beginning to knead away some of the stress that had built in the past few minutes. It was then that Buffy realized that they were both still naked, and she was amazed that she could be so comfortable with him. Never before had anyone seen her like this. All the previous boyfriends she had had either didn't last long enough for more than a quick tumble with the lights out, or they were too all-american and prudish to be ok with it.



Spike had been the first person to see her so exposed, and her love for him grew the more she thought about how right it felt to be so free with him.



"I really love you," she whispered, sighing as he worked his magic.



Spike smiled and kissed the back of her neck. "Not exactly what I was expecting, luv, but I'll take it."



They were silent again for a few minutes, the only sounds were those of Buffy's little whimpers or moans when Spike worked a sensitive spot.



"Is it wrong for me not to really feel anything."



Spike thought before answering. "When you talk about your mother, I know there was something there, between both of you. And it was hard for you, I hear it, and I see it. When you talk about your father... You don't talk about him all that often, and when you do, it's never a good thing. I didn't know what to expect when you told me what had happened. Just because he helped bring you into the world, doesn't mean he's automatically entitled to your unconditional love."



"I want to care, Spike."



He heard the tears in her voice and he stopped his hands and wrapped his arms around her waist, bringing her close to him. "I know, luv. You feel what you feel, but the way he treated you... He doesn't deserve you're tears."



"He's my father."



Spike sighed and was silent for a moment, debating whether or not to tell her what he really thought. "Do you want my honest opinion?"



Buffy wasn't sure that she did, but she trusted Spike, and knew he would never intentionally hurt her. "Yeah."



"I think you should tell his bloody secretary to deal with his shit and bring Dawn here without looking back." Buffy stiffened in his arms and he brought up a hand to stroke her arm. "But you're a good daughter to a man who doesn't deserve it, and I know you'll take care of things. The thing with Dawn... I don't know what you want to do, but I think she'd want to be here with you. She's almost done with school. Maybe she could finish and then come up here, I'm sure she'd get into Sunnydale. Guess it's up to you and her though."



"I'm not worried about what will happen to Dawn, not financially I mean. He had so much money that she could probably go to any school she wanted and buy a house for herself to live in."



"What are you worried about, then?"



"When I see her, she'll know."



"Know what?"



"That I don't care, that I can't care. He abandoned me, Spike. He left me and mom alone, and Dawn doesn't remember mom crying all the time and barely being able to take care of us. Dad took her away when mom got sick and Dawn doesn't know what it was like to take care of her instead of going to college with all my friends and get nothing from him. He didn't even call when she died."



Spike turned her in his arms and let her bury her face in his chest. "Shh... I know, baby, I know..."



"I made this life for myself, I lost so much, spent so long being the adult when I was just a kid, and now, when I'm finally doing to college thing, being a kid when I should be finding a real job... He's laying this all on me, even in death, and I just don't want to deal with it. I want to tell him to fuck off and take care of it himself. It's not my fault he died!"



Spike held her while she cried and his resentment of her father grew with each second. He knew most of the details, knew that she'd thrown years of her life away caring for her mother while her rich fuck-off father spent his time in the Bahamas, but Buffy had never let him know how much it had hurt her. For some reason he believed her, "I'm ok with it" story, and now he felt like an ass for not understanding sooner.



She finally tired herself out with crying and sat up. She let out a half-sob, half-laugh when she saw what she'd done to Spike's chest. "God, I'm sorry, I haven't thought about any of that for years. I didn't know I was still so angry."



"He put you through hell, you've got every right to be angry."



Buffy shook her head and let out a deep breath. "I'm over this, I'm better than this."



Spike leaned in and kissed her. "That you are." He tried to kiss her again, but she turned away. "Buffy?"



"Spike, I'm all gross, after crying, you can't want me like this."



He raked his gaze up and down her body and pulled her close, her thigh rubbing up against his semi-erect member. "Always want you," he whispered, his voice husky.



Buffy turned back to him and kissed him hard, letting her anger at her father translate into her passion for Spike. He let her lead, knowing she needed this.



Buffy slowed her movements, realizing that what she had with Spike wasn't about their issues anymore. She pushed him onto his back and brought his hands up over his head. Spike let his eyes flutter closed as her mouth descended onto his chest, making intricate designs with her tongue.



She avoided his nipples until his groans became too pathetic for her to handle. He cried out softly when she finally took one into her mouth and sucked gently. Spike ached to touch her, but refused to break her trust.



He felt her move lower and lower, he moaned when her breasts brushed against his throbbing erection and barely kept from thrusting up for more contact. Buffy sat up and watched him, his eyes closed, panting hard, his fists clenched at the top of the pillow.



She smiled before she settled between his legs and reached for his hands. Spike's eyes shot open and he couldn't help but moan when he felt her settle his hands in her hair. "God, Buffy...."



She smiled again before licking a line up the underside of his shaft. She held his hips down and took her time driving him crazy, licking up and down, sucking softly on the head before moving to place moist kisses around his cock. He was almost crying with frustration when she finally sat up and sank down onto him without warning.



"Oh Jesus!"



Spike shot up and couldn't help but thrust hard into her. Buffy wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him hard before she began riding him hard and fast. Spike couldn't keep up with her, he gave up and held on for the ride, letting her set their pace, fucking him so hard he thought he would weep from the pleasure of it.



His release came all too soon for him. He couldn't hold on, she'd had him on the brink before her surprise mounting and he managed to thrust up into her three times as deep as he could go before he shot his load into her, crying out her name loudly, without heed to those in the next room.



The look on Spike's face, and the feel of his hot seed spilling into her sent Buffy after him, muffling her cry with his shoulder, more because she needed something to bite down on, than the fact she didn't want to bother her housemates.



They held each other tightly while their breathing returned to normal and Spike laid back on the bed, pulling her down on top of him.



"I must say, I didn't imagine this afternoon going the way it has."



"I wasn't using you."



Spike looked down at her, being unable to see her face frustrated him. "What are you talking about?" he asked softly.



"I just felt like... I don't know. I've been so emotional and that just happened all of a sudden. I don't want you to think that I did that because of my father."



"Buffy-"



"Just tell me you know."



He ran his hands up and down her back and kissed the top of her head. "I know, luv, 'course I know."



Spike had never seen Buffy like this, and it worried him. If she fell apart for whatever reason, he wasn't sure he was together enough to fix things like she had. He held her tightly and listened to her breathing even out until he was sure she was asleep.



***



"Dawn?"



"Buffy, where are you?"



Buffy felt Spike squeeze her hand and she smiled at him gratefully. "I'm still in Sunnydale. I'm getting a ticket to come to LA tomorrow. How are you doing?"



She heard Dawn take in a ragged breath and closed her eyes against the guilt. Dawn had always been Hank's favorite. Buffy was happy Dawn never had to question her father's love, but it frightened her that Dawn would hate her once she came to LA and didn't mourn the way a daughter should. "I'm gonna be ok. I'm staying with Janice's family. I want to be with you, though. How are you doing?"



Buffy paused. "I'm just worried about you Dawn."



"Don't be, I just can't wait for you to get here."



"I'll be there as soon as I can. I've got to go though, packing and everything. I'll call you when I get in, are you sure you'll be ok?"



"It's me, Buffy. Not the first time I'll be left alone."



"Dawn-"



"Pack, Buffy, and get here. I'll talk to you later, oh and tell Spike hello for me."



"I will, I'll see you soon."



Buffy turned to Spike and leaned her head against his shoulder. "Everything ok, pet?"



"Yeah, she just wants me there."



Spike rubbed her back and kissed her temple. "Want help packing?"



Buffy looked up at him and giggled before kissing him and standing up. "You are the last person I would ask for help."



Spike mock-pouted. "What do you mean?"



"Please, it takes you forever. And that's without the added distraction of us together. Go make further amends, I'll be out soon."



Spike stood and kissed the top of her head. "Let me know if you need anything."



"I will."



***



Spike's feet led him to Xander's room unconsciously and he wondered whether or not he would be welcome. Before he could decide whether or not to knock, Anya opened it and ushered him inside.



"I couldn't stand to know you were outside there. It was irritating, and Xander was too stubborn to get you himself."



Spike stood awkwardly in the doorway, waiting for his friend to look at him. "Hey, Xand."



Xander finally looked at him, and a tense moment passed before he finally smiled and stood up. "It's ok, man. All's forgiven."



Spike smiled back before they hugged and he felt the last bit of stress weighing on him let go. "I'm so glad, couldn't stand it."



Xander pulled back and punched him lightly in the arm. "It's just so sad to see you looking so pathetic, I couldn't stand it anymore."



Spike punched him back and fell back onto the bed, hugging a pillow to his chest. "So, anything big happen while I was gone?"



Xander and Anya exchanged a quick look but Spike didn't notice. "Nothing much, man. What about with you?"



Spike sat up and his smile faded. "Got a bit of bad news this afternoon."



"Really? Because Xander and I were very surprised to hear at least two instances of afternoon delight coming from your bedroom."



Spike rolled his eyes. "Some things never change, I see."



Xander sat down next to Spike and looked down at him. "What is it?"



"Buffy's father, he's dead."



They were all silent for a moment, no one knowing how to react. Anya knew from one too many tactless comments that silence was best when dealing with death.



"Shit, man. She going back to LA then?"



Spike nodded. "She's got to take care of everything. There's no one else left. Her little sister, you know the one you met at Christmas?" They both nodded and he continued. "She's still in high school. Feel bloody awful for her, and Buffy's worried she's not being a good sister because she isn't falling apart over the deadbeat."



"She has no reason to. From what's she's told me, he isn't worth it. I'd let him rot wherever he died."



Xander couldn't help but chuckle at his girlfriend's comments.



Spike just shook his head. "That's what I said, but she can't do that. She's too good."



Anya let out a groan. "Please, we all know how great Buffy is. I can't stand the lovey-dovey looks. Save it for the bedroom."



"Oh yeah, but my sex life is fine to talk about in civilized society," Spike shot back.



Anya raised an eyebrow. "Well, if you didn't yell so loud. 'Oh Buffy, I'm gonna cum!' and 'Oh Buffy, you suck me so good!'"



Spike growled and reached for her. "I do not say-"



Xander stepped between them and raised his hands. "Ok, everybody, no wrestling. I have an announcement."



Spike sat back but shot Anya a glare. She just smiled and saddled up next to Xander. "We have one."



Xander looked down at her and smiled. "Yeah, we do."



Spike sighed. "Alright already, what is it?"



Xander and Anya turned to him, their arms around each other. "We're getting married!"



Spike stared at them for a moment. "Huh?"

Ballad of a Thin Man by lucky021

A/N: This chapter is a lot of fluff and a lot of set-up. I feel like the end is important, and I was having a hard time getting there, so I hope you enjoy the journey. The reviews have been great, and new ones will be even better.



You raise up your head
And you ask, "Is this where it is?"
And somebody points to you and says
"It's his"
And you say, "What's mine?"
And somebody else says, "Where what is?"
And you say, "Oh my God
Am I here all alone?"

Because something is happening here
But you don't know what it is
Do you, Mister Jones?

-Bob Dylan, "Ballad of a Thin Man"



 


"We, that is, Xander and I are getting married," Anya said slowly as if talking to a particularly thick child.



"I think he understood, honey."



Spike still hadn't said anything, his mouth kept opening and closing as if he might, but no sound came out. There was a strange pain settling in the pit of his stomach.



"Spike, say something man. Anything."



Spike finally blinked slowly and found his voice. "Uh.. um," his voice cracked and he cleared his voice. "Well.. that's great. Just a matter of time, huh?"



Anya began talking immediately about plans and Xander's proposal, but Spike didn't really hear it. She was the only one oblivious to his reaction.



Xander watched as Anya sat next to Spike and explained all about his role as best man (something Xander wanted to ask him about) and other issues he needed to take care of. Spike participated in the conversation as best he could, but Xander knew something was off.



Eventually, Xander managed to pry Anya away and Spike made an excuse about needed to see Buffy to the airport. He stepped outside and Xander closed the door and took a deep breath.



"Ahn, I'm betting you didn't, but please tell me you saw that something was off with Spike just now."



Anya started getting undressed for bed and turned down the covers. "Yeah."



Xander raised his eyebrows and clapped his hands together. "Ok then, care to elaborate?"



Anya turned to face him with an exasperated sigh. "Haven't you thought this day over before? Haven't you ever considered Spike's reaction?"



Xander stared at him blankly and she sighed and sat down. "He's upset, he hates change. We were always his people to fall back on, and we always said that if we got married we'd stop fucking around. He's get absolutely no one now. If he screws up with Buffy, he's got nowhere to turn."



Xander sat next to her. "But why should he even consider screwing things up with Buffy, they seem totally happy."



"Xander, this is the first time Spike's ever had to face losing us for good. After all we've been through, it's like the end of an era."



Xander fall back on the bed and wrapped his arm around Anya when she moved to lay next to him. "Now I'm depressed. Why aren't you upset?"



"I've just thought a lot about what it would be like without him. I knew you'd eventually propose, I wanted to be prepared."



Xander kissed the top of Anya's head and tried not to think too hard about Spike.



***



Spike walked back to his room in a daze. He never thought he'd see the day. He'd thought about it, hypothetically, of course, and he'd tried to prepare for it.



He never really understood that he would need to prepare. He didn't think seeing his friends happy would be like a punch in the gut. He tried not to think of it as a final rejection, but that's really what it came down to. Anya and Xander were ready to move on permanently. He was too if he really thought about it, but somewhere inside him, he wanted to be the one to make that move.



He opened the door and saw Buffy finishing up her packing, zipping closed her suitcase and organizing her travel papers.



"Hey, just in time."



Spike walked to her and wrapped his arms around her waist, burying his face in her neck.



"Something wrong?"



He shook his head and pulled back to attempt a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. Buffy let it go though, knowing he would talk to her about it when he was ready.



"When do you have to go?"



"I've got a few hours. You'll take me?"



"'Course, luv."



She kissed his chin and moved to nuzzle his neck. "Where'd you go?"



Spike pulled her closer to him and licked a line from her collarbone to her ear. "Do you really care?"



He moved a leg between hers and rubbed his thigh against her rapidly heating core, while his right hand moved under her shirt and began stroking her lower back.



"Mmm, not when you do that."



Spike turned his head and teased her for a moment before finally kissing her deeply. She moaned into his mouth and allowed him to unsnap the top button on her jeans while his leg kept on encouraging her to ride him.



She could feel his cock growing against her hip and it excited her more. She ran her hands down his chest and cupped his erection, squeezing gently. He growled against her lips and pushed her back onto the bed.



He moved on top of her and grabbed her hands, moving them up to wrap around the bars in the headboard. "Hold on, baby."



He unbuttoned her shirt slowly, kissing and licking every inch of skin he exposed. She thanked God that she'd worn a front-clasp bra, because she wasn't sure he would have removed her hands from their positions to remove it in lieu of simply ripping it off.



He moved lower and lower, and Buffy wasn't sure how much more she could take. Finally, he began pulling her pants off of her and she lifted her bottom to help him get them off. He spread her thighs slowly, kissing his way toward her center.



"Smell so bloody good, luv. Never get enough of this." He paused, just short of touching her and blew a hot stream of air onto her engorged clit.



"Oh God! Spike, please..."



He smiled and propped her legs over his shoulders before diving in and licking her voraciously. He stroked around her clit and dove inside her passage, driving her crazy. She bucked against his face and ached to grab his hair and hold him to her, but she resisted.



"Spike, please, let me please..."



The sound of her voice, begging him for release made his cock even harder and he rubbed himself against the bed to relieve some of the tension. He moaned against her, knowing the vibrations from his voice would get her even hotter, before finally taking her clit between his lips and sucking hard.



She exploded onto his tongue and he licked up her cream greedily. He let her legs off of his shoulders and massaged her thighs, kissing his way back up her body.



She opened her eyes to find him staring down at her, adoration clear in his eyes. "Spike-"



He kissed her tenderly, she could taste herself on his lips and she kissed around his mouth, cleaning him of her. He positioned himself at her entrance and looked into her eyes before sinking in to the hilt.



"Buffy...."



The feeling of her surrounding him was too much. He buried his face in her hair and pumped his hips, feeling her push up against him. He angled his cock to hit her sweet spot and she cried out underneath him, causing him to thrust faster.



He felt like something was missing and he realized she still had her hands wrapped around the bars on the headboard.



"Touch me, baby, please..."



Buffy thought he'd never ask. She ran her hands down his arms and up and down his back, finally they settled on his ass, pushing him into her harder. She squeezed his cheeks and he growled against her cheek.



"Are you going to miss me?"



He propped himself up so that he could look at her. "You know I will."



She kissed him and met his thrust hard. He tried to slow her down and she looked up at him. "Want this to last."



She slowed with him, both nearly there, but trying to stave off their orgasms for just a little longer.



Before long, it was impossible and Buffy raked her nails down his back, the pleasure too much. Spike pulled her hard against him and thrust into her one final time, spilling his seed inside her.



He moved to roll off of her but she held him. "Just stay here, I don't know when I'll get to feel this again."



He held himself on his elbows and kissed her sweetly. "You act like it's going to forever."



"I don't know how long it will take, I've got to get everything situated with Dawn, and finish up with the funeral..."



"That is like forever, sure I shouldn't come?"



She shook her head and kissed his chest. "You've got to talk to Wes about your book, and maybe try to salvage some of the semester. I'm totally screwed."



"I'm working on that too. It was my fault, I can work something out with the registrar."



"Spike-"



"I already said I would do it when you came to Woodstock. Don't try to convince me not to."



She smiled faintly and nuzzled his chest. "Will you call me when I'm gone?"



He looked down at her and frowned slightly. "When did you get so worried about me missing you and calling you when you're gone? You know I will."



Buffy avoided his gaze and drew nonsense patterns on his chest and arms. "I don't know.. just lately..."



Spike rolled to his side and tipped her chin toward him. "What?"



"I don't know what's wrong with me. I've just been thinking about my dad a lot lately-"



"Buffy, I'd never leave you."



She looked up at him and while half of her felt like an idiot for ever doubting him because of some random abandonment issues she never dealt with decided to surface, and half of her was relieved he didn't hesitate to reassure her.



"You must think this is all ridiculous."



He shook his head and leaned over her. "Not at all. Buffy, you're the strongest woman I've ever met, but everybody has something like this. You amaze me all the time, and you never have to be ashamed of anything you've done. You've seen me at my absolute worst, you don't need to worry."



"I'm starting to rethink the you staying here thing."



He smiled and she pulled him close to her. He held her close until they were absolutely forced to get dressed for the airport.



***



After Spike dropped Buffy off he automatically pulled out his cell phone and dialed Fred's number as he unlocked the DeSoto.



"Dr. Burkle."



"Fred, it's Spike."



"Oh hey you! I haven't heard from you in a while, what's going on? How's Buffy? Did you talk to your friends?"



He chuckled. "One question at a time, pet."



"Sorry, I'm on a bit of a caffeine high, and it's really nice to hear from you."



He smiled and sighed. "The reason I called... Well first off, everything's good with everyone. Buffy's fine, well, not perfect. Her father just passed away."



"Oh no, how is she?"



"She'll be fine, she's off in LA taking care of some things. Uhh, the reason I called... Do you have some time?"



Fred sat down at her desk and leaned back in her chair. "What's going on?"



"Well.. I don't really get it. Xander and Anya, the other day, they told me that they're getting married."



Fred waited, but Spike seemed to be done. "Ok, I don't really understand the problem, I mean, from what you've told me about them, they should be very ha-"



"Yeah, that's the problem, pet, I don't understand it either. When they told me, my stomach just hit the floor, I couldn't speak. Something hurt, and I didn't really get it. I guess I just didn't see it coming."



"Spike..."



"What is it?"



"I told you before you left... Before we talk about this, how are things with Tara?"



"What does that have to do with anything?"



"Just tell me."



Spike sighed and thought back. "When I came home and saw her... I feel like we're good, in a way we haven't been since... since she and Willow. We talked about me leaving, and it just felt like we had an understanding."



"Ok, so that's sorted, did you get that sense with Xander at all?"



"Why would I, we didn't have any problems."



"Spike... You know that's not true."



Spike clenched his fists and closed his eyes. "This is fucking ridiculous."



"Spike, don't get upset."



"Don't get upset?!" He let out a bitter sound halfway between a laugh and a sob. "I've got Buffy, what fucking more do I need?"



"You need to let go."



Spike was silent for a moment and Fred thought she heard him choke back some tears.



"Listen, I'm going to be in LA next week, I was going to call, but you beat me to it. How about I come up to Sunnydale for a few days?"



"You don't need to do that."



"I want to, I should see Rupert anyway. It's been too long. You can call me anytime though, remember that."



Spike leaned his head against the steering wheel and took a deep breath. "So you think that maybe after this whole wedding business is over.. I can accept it?"



"I suggest you do it before the wedding. Buffy's not stupid, and this is going to be weighing on your mind. You either tell her that part of you is still hung up on Xander, and maybe even Anya, or you work it out."



"How am I supposed to work it out?" he asked angrily.



"You never really worked out your issues with Xander. He hurt you when you were so young, and before there was a chance to make it right, or even for closure, you were with Tara and then Drusilla. You've got to talk about what happened, and you have to forgive each other."



Spike sat up and rubbed a hand across his face. "Right."



"Are you going to be ok?"



"Yeah. I should go, Buffy's going to call when she gets in and I want to be home for it."



"Ok, you call if you need anything ok? And I'll let you know when I'll be in town."



"Sure thing, pet. And thank you."



"Don't worry about it, goodbye, Spike."



"Bye, Fred."



***



"'Lo, luv, get in alright?"



Buffy sighed and sank onto her bed. "Yeah, it's weird being back in this house."



"I can imagine. Talked to Dawn, then?"



"Yeah, it was good, kind of cathartic. She's being really good about everything."



"I knew she would be. You tell her 'hello' for me?"



"Yeah of course, I think she's mad you didn't come."



"Why's that?"



"You're fun to look at."



"Think so?" he asked grinning and leaning back on his bed.



"Well I don't, but I know Dawn likes to look at you."



"Mmm, maybe I went for the wrong sister."



"Don't even go there."



He chuckled and she couldn't help but join him. "I was thinking, if you're going to be up there for the weekend too, I could drive up for a few days."



"I might need that. We made plans for the funeral."



"When's that?"



"Saturday."



"I'm coming," he said without hesitation.



"Spike are you-"



"Buffy, I'm not going to leave you alone for that if I can help it. I can help it. I'm coming."



"Thank you, Spike," she whispered.



Spike closed his eyes and imagined her next to him. "No worries, luv."



They were silent for a moment. "Spike, do we have too much sex?"



"What?!"



"I was just thinking-"



"About earlier? Me too, God you're sexy."



"This is what I'm talking about!" She heard him chuckle and pouted before realizing he couldn't see it. "Don't make fun of me."



"I'm not, I swear. I wasn't going to let you know, but I was thinking about it."



"Spike! I don't think I've ever met anyone as horny as you."



"Mmmm... what was that, pet?"



Buffy narrowed her eyes. "What are you doing right now?"



He smiled. "What do you think? You keep talking about sex, can't help it."



"Spike!" He chuckled again but she knew he was only half-teasing her. "You want me to have phone sex with you, just hours after we had actual sex, when we'll have to go a whole 3 days without each other, and you're telling me we don't have too much sex?"



"Buffy, is there such a thing? Tell me what you're wearing."



She couldn't help but laugh at him. "You're too silly to be horny."



"Can't I be both?"



"You're such a dork."



"Do you want to know what I'm wearing, baby?"



She felt her panties soak through at his tone. There was something about his voice, when he used it right, she swore, if he wanted he could make her cum from reading the phone book.



"Buffy?" he taunted lightly.



She snapped back into focus. "Tell me."



He smiled, he knew he could get her to play. "Nothing."



"You're always wearing nothing."



"Wouldn't you like that."



"Yeah," she said dreamily, and he laughed.



"Are we gonna do this or what, you're being all distracting. I want phone sex," he pouted.



Buffy smirked. "You were doing fine until you got totally obvious."



"What can I say, baby? I think of you, I get hard, if you're not around, gotta relieve the tension."



"Is that what you're doing?"



"Not exactly, waiting for you to help."



Buffy licked her lips and settled onto her back, kicking her sandals onto the floor. "What can I do?"



Spike sighed and let his hand wander down his chest. "Do you like to think of me doing this?"



"I don't know what you're doing."



He smiled and gripped his cock. "I'm hard, so hard, luv. You know what I want."



She was silent and he was afraid she wasn't going to continue, but then he heard her breathy little sigh and his cock jumped. "Yes, I like to think of you doing that. Sometimes I think about..."



"What?" His hand was moving up and down now, her voice spurring him on.



"Could I watch you? Sometimes I think it's so sexy." She teased herself, listening to his breathing.



"Jesus, Buffy, are you serious?"



"I wouldn't tease you like that, baby."



"Fuck yes, I want to do everything with you. Kinky as you want me."



Buffy paused, a more serious issue raised in her mind. "Could you really, Spike?"



He knew what she meant now, and cursed himself for his choice of words. He thought about her, about what she'd confided in him in the past day, and he knew things had changed.



"Yes, Buffy, God yes, anything."



She moaned at that and he sped up his strokes. They listened to each other, moans and dirty and loving endearments coming from Spike's mouth until they both cried out.



"Did you mean it?" Buffy asked as they came down, their breathing returning to normal.



Spike pulled her pillow to him and sighed. "Every word. I love you Buffy, and I know what that means now."



"I love you too."



They talked about random things, mostly to hear the other's voice until they were too loopy with sleep to make sense. Spike knew he had to confront Xander tomorrow, and after his talk with Buffy, he was much less afraid.

Mama, You Been On My Mind by lucky021

A/N: Sorry for the delay. This isn't the update I intended, but I wanted to get something out there before November. So I think there's about two chapters and the epilogue left, and school is slowing down a bit and the Red Sox are done for the year so I should be able to get them out much quicker than I have been. Hope you enjoy, and reviews are always great, sometimes they even inspire one to work faster.



When you wake up in the mornin', baby, look inside your mirror.
You know I won't be next to you, you know I won't be near.
I'd just be curious to know if you can see yourself as clear
As someone who has had you on his mind.


-Bob Dylan, "Mama, You Been on My Mind"



Spike settled his duffle at his feet and knocked quietly on the door with the address Buffy had given him.



"Spike!"



Dawn flung herself into his arms and he leaned down to hug her to him tightly. He'd had more than a few conversations as of late with Buffy's little sister and knew she was having a rough time of it. They both were, but the elder was still trying to figure out what the problem was.



He stepped back and grabbed his bag before shutting the door behind him.



"How're you doin', bit?"



Dawn shrugged and hugged herself. "Ok, I guess. It's tomorrow. But I guess that's why you're here."



He nodded and brushed back some of her hair affectionately. "Anything for my girls."



She smiled at that and pointed to a door down the hall. "I guess you'll be wanting to see Buffy. She's been a little crazy lately. She never used to use that punching bag unless she was really pissed, so there's you're warning."



Spike eyed the door and then glanced back at Dawn. "She been any better lately?"



Dawn just raised an eyebrow and he sighed. "I think maybe after all this is over with she can start to figure some things out. Guess I'll get down there then."



"Yeah, good luck with that. I'll be upstairs if things get violent."



Spike glared at her good naturedly and headed toward the door. He found her down the stairs wailing on an old bag that was giving off enough dust to nearly choke him.



"What's a lady like you doin' in a dump like this?"



Buffy spun faster than he thought possible and the next thing he knew her legs were wrapped around his waist and he was falling down on the mat behind him.



"Mmff, Buffy... luv!"



She pulled back and began covering his face with kisses, her hands scrambling to peel his jacket off.



"Weren't you the one sayin' we did this too much?"



She untucked his shirt and sat up. "I've been going crazy with everything and you weren't here. Why do you think I've been beating the hell out of that thing?" she asked, cocking her head toward the still swinging bag.



He sat up underneath her and pressed his lips to hers gently, finally managing to kiss her properly. "Told you I'd come and stay if you wanted me to," he whispered against her cheek before her hands pushed his shirt up over his head.



Buffy didn't respond, just kissed him again and ground herself down into his lap. He groaned as his cock hardened against her. He pushed her onto her back and leaned over her. "Let me take care of you."



Buffy nodded and slowed her frantic pace, allowing him to lead. He pushed her tank top over her head and bent to trail kisses down her chest until her came to her breasts. He could feel the tension radiating off of her and deciding to forget any teasing.



She moaned as his mouth made contact with her painfully hard nipples. His hands massaged her breasts as his mouth switched back and forth leaving neither one without.



She could feel his cock pressing into the juncture between her legs, and even though it was almost unbearable to feel their clothes separating them she laid back and enjoyed his ministrations. He seemed to pick up on her wish, however, and soon he was tugging her pants down and then unbuckling his belt.



She reached down wanting to wrap her hands around him. He gasped as she made contact with his sensitive flesh and she stroked him a few times before pulling him out and pushing his pants to his knees. He moved back on top of her and positioned himself between her thighs.



He kissed her sweetly before pushing in as slowly as he could manage. They both sighed when he settled inside her. They began moving, totally comfortable with each other after so much time together. He knew her body probably better than she did and he played it like a fine tuned instrument. For the first time there were no words between them. Just their gasps and moans as he moved in and out of her trying to make her forget about all the problems she was facing.



He felt her begin to tighten around him and he reached down to help her along before shuddering and spilling himself inside her. He kissed her temple softly and whispered nonsense into her ear until he was sure she was asleep. When he softened and slipped out of her and sat up. He scanned the room for a blanket and when he couldn't find anything he wrapped his coat around her and buckled his pants before laying down next to her.



If the dark circles under her eyes were any indication, she hadn't been sleeping very well. He put his arms around her and allowed himself to follow her into sleep.



***



"Spike?"



"Yes, luv?" he replied sleepily.



"I think... I think I need to forgive him."



Spike propped himself up on his elbow and looked down at her. "Your father?"



Buffy nodded and played with the collar of his coat. "I think that's what's been bothering me."



"Can you do it?"



She shrugged and he waited for her to speak again.



"He really fucked up, you know? I mean, really really fucked up."



"Yeah, pet, he did."



"But everyone does stupid stuff. Makes mistakes. I'm not perfect."



"And I've definitely done my fair share."



"But we're good people."



Spike nodded and she sighed.



"I want to. I just..." She closed her eyes and sat up slowly. "Let's just go upstairs. I should get Dawn some dinner. Tomorrow. If I can't tomorrow than it's just.. that's it." She looked at him then and he reached for her hand. "I'm just glad you're here."



"Me too, luv."



***



Spike watched Buffy during the funeral from behind her. Dawn was on his arm, trying not to cry too loudly, and Buffy...



She was distant and cold. And he didn't blame her. He knew she was dealing, he wanted to help her, but sometimes there wasn't anything he could do. She stayed until after the ceremony, and they were the only three left in the cemetery.



He noticed Dawn shivering and when he touched Buffy to get her attention she started and spun away from him.



"Just me, luv."



She sighed and her shoulders slumped. "Sorry."



He wanted to touch her, but figured she wouldn't want him to so he stood awkwardly for a moment. "Listen, pet, Dawn's getting tired and cold. Want me to take her back and then I can come get you if you want to stay longer?"



She didn't move for a moment and he wondered if she'd even heard him.



"Yeah, that's probably a good idea. I'll stay for a bit."



He nodded and debated for a moment but leaned in and kissed her softly anyway on the forehead. "I'll be right back."



She nodded and watched he and Dawn drive off before she turned around. She sighed and touched her forehead lightly where he'd kissed her. She knew she'd been treating him badly all day, but she couldn't take her mind off of her father.



She heard a crack of thunder and hoped it didn't start raining until Spike returned. She hadn't had the foresight to bring an umbrella and arriving home drenched and upset was not the way she wanted this day to end.



She looked back at her father's grave and stepped closer. She couldn't help being mad, she couldn't help that being abandoned made her unable to love him the way a daughter was supposed to love a father.



Then a thought occurred to her. She didn't have to love him, she didn't even have to really like him. She just had to let it go. Really, in some ways, leaving her had helped her grow as a person. She never would have been able to deal with Spike and his issues unless she'd lived through her mother's illness. She never would have come to Sunnydale, she'd probably be at UCLA or some other expensive and far away school that never would have introduced her to Spike and the family he'd given her.



She touched his headstone and felt the pain start to ease. She could do this.



"You did a lot of bad things. Made a lot of stupid mistakes, but I can live with that. I can forgive you, Dad. I hope you were able to reconcile some of those decisions with yourself, and I hope wherever you are, I'm not the thing holding you down."



Somehow, in the middle of it, she'd begun to cry. It wasn't the horrible sobs she'd let out when her mother had passed, just a few slow falling tears. The reality of the situation finally hit her, and it was hard to lose him, even if their relationship was strained. But it wasn't a weight on her shoulders anymore.



She closed her eyes and sighed when she felt his hand on her shoulder.



"You ok, luv?"



She nodded and allowed him to wrap his arms around her, leaning back into his embrace. "Thank you for today."



Spike kissed her temple softly and tightened his hold on her. "Let's get home."



Right as they made it into the car, the rain began to fall.



***



"Well, well, well, if it isn't the prodigal son returned."



"Hey, Wes. Look, I'm sorry about all thi-"



"Don't worry about it Spike, your sister spoke to me when everything started. I'm just glad you're ok." Spike ducked his head and scratched the back of his neck and Wesley couldn't help but be amused at his student's embarrassment. "Though I was a little offended that I was the only professor who didn't get the personal statement."



Spike took a seat across from Wesley and sighed. "I wanted to talk to you in person. Willow came without my permission because she didn't want me to be totally screwed. I'm sorry it took so long."



"I thought that might be the case. I'm glad she did, I was a bit worried. Not like you to miss classes."



"Yeah well, everything's much better now, completely taken care of," Spike said quickly wanting to get away from the subject. "I did some writing... a lot of it actually."



Wesley leaned forward and smiled. "Do you think you've got something?"



Spike shrugged. "It's not really organized, but I think it's better than anything else I've done so far. Would you help me?"



"I thought that was reason I'm here. Do you have anything I can look at?"



Spike pulled his bag in front of him and handed Wesley a few folders stuffed with paper. His professor looked at the mess then at him. Spike shrugged again. "Told you it wasn't really organized."



"Yes, well... I'll look through it this evening and let you know as soon as I can." Spike stood and thanked him. "By the way, do you think you'd be willing to come back and assist me for the rest of the semester?"



Spike stared at him for a moment. "You didn't replace me?"



"I did.. but it was really only meant as a temporary thing and to be honest... I'd really like to have you back."



Spike smiled broadly and grabbed Wesley's hand shaking it heartily. "Of course I'd love to be back. God, thanks Wes!"



"Don't worry about it, just be here."



Spike grabbed his bag and had Buffy on the phone before he was outside.



***



"Yes mom, yes. No, everyone does want you guys here. For Christ's sake of course I want you to be at my wedding." Xander sighed and rubbed his temples. "Well, they could but it's kind of tight quarters around here.... no it's fine mom, they can stay. I want them to."



"No you don't!"



Xander covered the phone and turned to his fiance. "I'm just trying to get rid of her, shut-up." He turned back to his desk. "No I wasn't talking to you... no we're fine. We're not breaking up! Mom, I have to go. Yes.. work.. and school. Yes, I'll call you later. Bye mom... bye, bye mother."



Xander slammed the phone down along with his head. "Why did we ever agree to this wedding?"



Anya pulled his head up and slid onto his lap. "Because it's my big happy day and I want it big and happy."



"Big you've got.. but with our families, happy? Not such an easy thing to come by."



Anya kissed him softly and smiled. "It'll be fine. We just have to get through."



Xander sighed and said nothing, just kissed his fiance with all the love he felt.



***



"Hey, baby."



"'lo, luv."



"You don't sound so great."



Spike sighed and leaned back in his bed. "Just missing you."



"I don't think that's it. Tell me."



"I... I just haven't heard from Wes in a while. He was supposed to call me a few days ago."



"I wish I didn't have such crappy news then."



"Oh Jesus, better just be out with it then."



"I'm not coming home as soon as I thought."



Spike was silent for a moment and she held her breath as she waited for him to answer. "When do you think you will be home?" he asked softly.



"I... It's Dawn, I feel like it would be cruel to take her away from L.A. when she's almost done with school. After she graduates she can come to Sunnydale or wherever she wants and I won't have to worry about her having someone to watch out for her. She'll either be with us or in dorms."



Spike threw his arm over his eyes and sighed. "Another month or so then?"



"Yeah..." She waited for him to say more but he didn't. "Spike-"



"No, it's alright, Buffy. I understand, I couldn't ask you to leave Dawn. You're doing the right thing, and I love you."



She let out a sigh of relief and he smiled when he heard it. "On the weekends though, we can still visit. I'll come down to Sunnydale or you can come up here."



"Yeah, of course, luv. Comin' this weekend, remember?"



Before Buffy could answer his other line beeped. "Hold on a mo', pet, other line." Spike pushed a button on the phone and brought it back to his ear. "'Lo?"



"Spike, it's Wes."



Spike swallowed, not sure if he wanted to hear what his professor had to say. "Yeah, what's going on?"



"I'm terribly sorry I haven't called, I just couldn't put it down."



"Couldn't put what down?"



"Spike, what you've written... It's pretty amazing. With the right editing, it could be a masterpiece."



Spike didn't say a word and Wes wondered if they'd been disconnected. "You there?"



Finally he found his voice, "are you serious?"



"What? Of course I am, I've been going through what you've got and figuring out how to put this all together. It will take some work, but I think it's going to be great. And another thing, don't worry about helping me out with classes, this is your assignment."



"Jesus... what can I say here?"



"Just be in my office Monday morning. I've got to be going."



"Yeah... thanks, Wes."



"On time, Spike!"



He heard the line click and switched back to Buffy. "You still there?"



"Yeah, who was that?"



"Wes."



Buffy waited for him to elaborate and sighed when he didn't. "And?"



"Oh... he liked it, what I wrote. Wants to polish it up, thinks it could be something."



"Spike that's great!"



"Yeah.. I guess it is," he said softly, a smile spreading slowly across his face that he couldn't help.



"Listen, why don't you come up this weekend and we'll celebrate. Let me take care of you for the whole weekend. This is really great, Spike. It's just what you've been waiting for."



"God, Buffy, never thought I would see the day."



"I'm so proud of you."



Spike smiled and chuckled. "I'll be there as early as I can this weekend, luv. I fully intend to exploit this situation to the best of my abilities."



"I can't wait."

I'd Have You Any Time by lucky021

A/N: This is kind of short, but I needed to split up the final chapter, so here’s the first half. I should be writing a paper for psychology of love, but look what came out. Not really a surprise. Thanks for the reviews, I’ll try to get the next one up soon. Maybe I’ll just wait for my next paper and procrastinate then. Hopefully it won’t come to that. Enjoy!



Let me say it, let me play it,
Let me lay it on you.
Let me know you, let me show you,
Let me grow it on you.
All I have is yours,
All you see is mine
And I'm glad to have you in my arms,
I'd have you any time.
-Bob Dylan, George Harrison “I’d Have You Any Time”



"'Lo?" Spike mumbled, his voice rough with sleep.



"Spike? I'm glad I caught you before you left."



Spike rubbed his eyes and sat up. "Jesus, Wes, you have any bloody idea what time it is?"



"Yes, and if you answered your phone while you were away, I wouldn't resort to these tactics."



Spike sighed and glanced at his alarm clock. Just a few more minutes and he would have slept the full six hours he'd intended. Bloody editors and their bloody need to get things done. "Yeah, well, off with my girl, can't be interrupted."



"I'm sure," Wes replied dryly. "The reason I'm calling, well I think you'll be rather pleased."



Spike waited in silence until he realized Wes wasn't about to continue without some sign Spike was still awake. "Uhh.. ok yeah, what is it?"



"Well, considering we've got a bit of a break from classes coming up, and uh.. I have some... plans... with a colleague... during that time, and I figured, you might as well take the whole week to spend with Buffy. We’ve been keeping up with the work, so-”



“Off with Professor Morgan, huh?”



“What?”



“Oh please, Wes, you’ve been spending more time skulking around the law buildings than you have in your office. Give it up, everyone knows about you two.”



“They do?”



Spike chuckled and took pity on his friend. “No, they don’t. I just saw her coming out of your office a little disheveled and you always get a little flustered when the subject drifts anywhere near her. Just a good guess.”



Wes let out a sigh of relief. “Don’t tell Cordelia, I don’t think I’d ever live it down.”



Spike just laughed harder. “Don’t worry, secret’s safe with me. Plus, it’s giving me an extra week with Buffy. I wouldn’t care if you were dating my father.”



“And on that note, I’ll say have a good weekend.”



“Yeah, see ya Wes.”



***



“Honey, I’m home!” Spike called as he dropped his bag next to the door.



He heard Buffy before he saw her. She leapt off the second stair and into his arms before he knew what was coming. “And I have a surprise,” he whispered after kissing her hello.



“Ohh, I like those. What is it?”



He settled her on her feet but held her close. “Wes gave me the week off, which means I’m here much longer than expected.”



Buffy squealed and pulled him down for a kiss and suddenly found herself pinned to the wall by the kitchen. She could feel his erection as he pressed it between her thighs getting harder and harder by the moment.



“I seem to remember something about taking care of me this week?” he whispered against her ear. His hot breath on her neck made it difficult to attempt any kind of thought process.



“Mmm... something like that. Why don’t we-”



“Good God!”



Spike threw himself off of Buffy as if he’d been burned and attempted to readjust his pants to make his erection less obvious. He realized it was a losing battle and moved behind a table.



“Are you guys ever going to greet each other like civilized human beings?”



“It was civilized,” Buffy pouted. “Like two civilized.. but excitable people.”



Dawn gave her an incredulous look and Buffy sighed.



“Well what do you expect, I don’t get to see him all that often you know.”



Dawn just rolled her eyes and turned to Spike whose face still hadn’t managed to lose the blush he’d sported upon hearing Dawn’s exclamation. “How’s it going?”



“Umm.. good, great! And you?”



“God, just go upstairs already. I’m going out, I’ll be back around seven for dinner. That give you horndogs enough time?”



Buffy was about to protest but stopped herself and nodded. “Don’t be late,” she called as her sister grabbed her coat and closed the door behind her.



When Spike was sure she was gone he moved back behind Buffy. “Now where were we?”



Buffy pushed back into him and smiled when she saw his jaw clench. “Perv, still hard after that?”



Spike just growled softly and brought his lips to her neck. “Isn’t the easiest thing to get rid of when you’re around.”



“Well, why don’t we go upstairs and see if we can’t do something about that.”



“Lead the way.”



***



“Oh fuck, oh fuck!” Buffy panted as she held onto the headboard attempting to keep her balance as Spike pounded into her.



“Buffy! Jesus, I don’t think I’ve ever been about to cum. So. Bloody. Hard!!” he cried out finally, slamming her hips against his one last time and emptying himself inside her.



They collapsed on the bed, a mess of tangled, sweaty limbs. Spike managed to get his breathing under control first and pulled her against him, resting her head on his chest.



“That was some welcome back.”



Buffy smiled against his chest and kissed her way up to his lips. Their tongues met lazily and sloppily. She pushed herself up so that she could straddle him and looked down on his body.



He looked as healthy as she’d ever seen him. He’d started working out again with Xander. Apparently the not yet newlyweds were both attempting to get the best body they could before the wedding. And as Anya wanted everyone to look good in the party, she’d convinced... or threated maybe.. Spike to join Xander.



His abs were toned and his skin looked healthier, not as pale. She ran her hands over his chest and down his arms until she found his hands. She brought them to her thighs and moved her hands to his hair.



“You just bleach it again?”



He nodded. His eyes were half closed and she could tell he was tired. But he loved watching her watch him, so he fought to keep them open.



“It’s so soft after you do it. I love it.”



“Mmm..”



She bent and kissed his head then moved to his lips. He could kiss her forever, he thought. And maybe he would. Xander and Anya had him considering what marrying Buffy would be like. He didn’t think she was ready for that. She was still an undergrad. He may be ready to settle down but this was the first really serious relationship she’d ever had that he was aware of.



It would probably be years before she was ready to make that kind of commitment. A lot of people lived together for a long time before marrying, and sometimes they didn’t even make it that far. He was convinced, as sure as he’d ever been about anything, that Buffy was the one. The only one. She’d made it seem like she felt the same way, but she wasn’t even halfway through college yet, and he was almost done with his graduate degree. Who knew what she’d feel like when she got done with her degree and ready to have a real career. What if it was far away? What if they had separate and conflicting obligations? What if-



“What are you frowning about?”



He hadn’t realized it, but he’d tensed up with his train of thought and now was gripping her legs a little to tightly and kissing her a little too distractedly.



“Sorry, luv, just being stupid.”



“About what?”



“’S ‘nothing, kiss me.”



She did, and this time he didn’t forget what he was doing. His hands slid back and cupped her ass, pulling her forward and closer to his hardening length. She moaned and reached between them, her smooth, small hands slid around his cock and pumped up and down until he was panting out her name.



“Got to be inside you,” he practically begged, lifting her until she was poised above him.



“Touch me, Spike,” she whispered as she sank down and he brought his hands up to caress her breasts, teasing her nipples the way he knew she loved and he pulled himself up to take one hard tip in his mouth.



She cried out above him and bounced harder. Spike couldn’t take it anymore and rolled them so that he had more leverage. He pumped into her hard, all the tension and his insecurities channeled into the act.



He realized his actions seconds later and slowed down, bending down to kiss her. “I’m not hurting you am I?”



Buffy smiled and shook her head. “Not at all, but I know something’s on your mind.”



He stilled inside her and buried his face in her neck. “I’m sorry, baby.”



“What is it?”



He raised himself up and looked at her, his hand came up and brushed some hair out of her eyes. “It’s just me being stupid, and thinking too far ahead. I get ahead of myself and get a little panicked.”



She didn’t look entirely convinced but he kissed her sweetly and she melted in his arms. He began thrusting slowly, trying to give her the most pleasure he could with deeper thrusts, rubbing his abs against her swollen clit.



“I love you, Buffy,” he whispered when he felt her shudder underneath him.



“I love you too, Spike,” she gasped out just before he followed her into bliss.



***



“I just can’t take it anymore! We’re getting the hell out of this place!”



“Ahn, honey, just-”



“No, Xander, no! I’ve listened to you before, but now I know you’re wrong. If I have to see another one of our relatives in their underwear, I’m going to go insane.”



“Ok, yeah... I’m getting a little frazzled too. But, we can’t just up and leave.”



“Oh.. yes we can. We’ve got a few days off, and so do Tara and Willow. I say we head out to L.A., see Buffy, see Spike, and stop seeing everyone else.”



Xander stared at his girlfriend for a moment in shock. “For the first time, Ahn, I don’t think there’s a single part of your plan that I have a problem with.”



Anya just smiled, kissed him, and skipped out to tell Tara and Willow.



***



They were just sitting down to dinner when the doorbell rang.



“You didn’t invite anyone over did you Dawn?”



“Yeah, like I would do that with the possibility of one of my friends having to find you two humping in the foyer.”



“Oi, greeting!”



“Whatever, Billy.”



“Oh, pet, you better pray that wasn’t referring to a certain musical talent.”



“Or what, I’ll have to listen to you moaning all night? Oh wait, that already-”



“Ok, that’s a good place to stop, Dawn.” Buffy stood and tried to hide the blush forming on her cheeks. “I guess I’ll get it. And when did you guys start acting like big brother, annoying little sister?”



“Why am I the annoying one?”



Buffy ignored them and opened the door.



“Surprise!”



“Oh my God! Spike, get out here!” Buffy yelled as she launched herself into the group. “I haven’t seen you guys in so long, how’d you get up here?”



“Xander’s awful driving,” Anya said matter-of-factly, disentangling herself from the group and dumping her bag on the floor.



Spike entered just in time to hear that and managed a laugh through the shock. “Anya, luv, what are you doing here?” he asked before pulling her into a warm embrace.



“That’s a normal greeting, bleach boy,” Dawn whispered, flicking his ear and jumping over to hug Tara and Willow before he could retaliate.



The group exchanged hugs and managed to get all of their bags into the foyer before moving into the dining room and relaxing while Spike ordered pizza.



“So you just needed a break? Is the planning really getting that bad?” Buffy asked as she snagged a slice of pizza off Spike’s plate.



“Planning, no, not really? Housing half of our families and having to see the other half almost as much as if they were living with us, yes, very much so.”



“It’s just a good time for a break, I think. Plus, Ahn needs your measurements for the dress.”



“Easily done,” Buffy said before snuggling further into Spike’s lap and settling into the rest of the conversation.



***


“Xander?”



“Yeah?”



“Did you notice the beach on the way here?”



“Yeah...”



“Didn’t you think it was gorgeous?”



“Yeah, I guess. Why?”



“Want to.. umm, get married there?”



“What? What about your whole church thing, and the big ceremony and all the people?”



“I’m sick of all that. It’s not practical, and I don’t even like them. Everyone we love is here, except for Giles, and he could come up quick.”



“Are you serious, Anya?”



“I feel better already being away from everything. Shouldn’t our wedding be happy, more relaxed?”



“I can’t believe these words are coming out of your mouth.”



“Me neither, but I was tired of listening to Spike and Buffy having sex and I needed to drown out the noise, and I got to thinking.”



“That’s more like it.”



“So we kinda elope?”



“Whatever you want, baby.”



“It’ll be better this way, I mean, I already got the great ring, I guess we can spend more money on our honeymoon this way.”



“I’m liking this plan more and more.”

She Belongs To Me by lucky021

A/N: Alright, here you go, the wedding, and the second to last chapter. This is a little short as well, but the last chapter should be a pretty long one. Thanks for the reviews. I hope to finish up by the end of the week, but something could come up. I need to get this done before finals, so that's really my last chance. Hope you all enjoy this, I've enjoyed writing it.



She's got everything she needs,
She's an artist, she don't look back.
She's got everything she needs,
She's an artist, she don't look back.
She can take the dark out of the nighttime
And paint the daytime black.

You will start out standing
Proud to steal her anything she sees.
You will start out standing
Proud to steal her anything she sees.
But you will wind up peeking through her keyhole
Down upon your knees.

She never stumbles,
She's got no place to fall.
She never stumbles,
She's got no place to fall.
She's nobody's child,
The Law can't touch her at all.


-Bob Dylan, "She Belongs To Me"



"You do realize this is absolutely crazy, right, mate?"



Xander shrugged and tried to straighten his collar. "Does this look right? The collar looks kind of funny doesn't it?"



Spike sighed and stood in front of his friend. "Maybe if you stopped fiddling with it every bloody second it wouldn't be so damned wrinkled." He arranged his friend's shirt and coat to the best of his ability before stepping back. "Now don't touch, you ponce."



Xander remained looking into the mirror making sure every bit of him was perfect. Then he turned to glance at Spike. "Are you ready?"



"Been ready for hours. Just waiting for you and the gorgeous bride to walk out there."



Xander let out a nervous breath and managed a shaky smile. "Can't believe I'm doing this here and now, my mother will never forgive me."



"Yeah well, I don't think you and Anya'd ever forgive yourselves if you had followed through with something approaching a freakshow."



Xander chuckled and turned back to the mirror. "So how are things man, we haven't talked really in a while."



"You really wanna catch up, or you just nervous and looking for a distraction?"



Xander flashed him a grin before resuming his incessant grooming. "Can't it be a little of both?"



Spike shrugged and sunk into the chair next to the mirror. "I told you about the plans with Wes. That's about the only important thing."



"Spending a lot of time with Buffy."



Spike stopped picking at his nail polish and arched an eyebrow. "Yeah.. what's that supposed to mean?"



"Nothing, man, just..." Xander finally turned and faced him. "Ahn and I have just been wondering what's going on. Is she ever coming back? How serious are you guys? Should we have waited for a double wedding?"



Spike stood and walked to look out the window. He could see Buffy and Willow laughing as they set up some of the tables for the small reception. "Those are some pretty good questions."



"And the answers are?"



Spike turned and sat back down. "I don't know. For now, it's serious, very, very, serious. But I don't know what she's gonna feel in a few years, and I figure it's too much to ask her to commit to anything this early."



"But you want a commitment?"



"I'm crazy about her, have been since the moment I saw her, so yeah, I want it. I want everything with her. I just don't want to scare her."



Xander sat next to him. "I don't know what to tell you. Anya and I have been together for so long, we managed to scare the hell out of each other. I don't know about Buffy, but from what I've seen... the way she looks at you... it's like no one else. When you're in the middle of it, it's harder to see, but everyone can see that you and Buffy have something."



"Well, thanks for the pep talk, what am I supposed to do about it?"



"I don't know?! I just give the talks, Anya gives the solutions."



Spike leaned back and covered his eyes. "Fuck." They sat in silence for a moment and Spike felt Xander's eyes on him. "Something on your mind?"



He heard his friend swallow and moved his hands from his eyes.



"I just want to thank you for everything."



"We getting sentimental here before the ceremony then?" Spike said with a smile that faded fast.



"I know this isn't the easiest thing."



Spike stood up and walked across the room. He'd been putting of real conversation with Xander since he'd talked to Fred, and he didn't want to have this moment now when he'd finally pushed everything down far enough that he'd thought he could get through everything.



"Xand..."



"I'm sorry, man, shouldn't have said anything."



Spike sighed and looked back at him. There were so many things he could say to Xander, there were so many things he wanted to get out. He wanted to yell at him for hurting him, for breaking his young heart, for never really apologizing, for finding the perfect relationship, and for almost always having his head on his shoulders while Spike couldn't manage to hold on to much until recently.



But all of that was just punishment. Something to make Spike feel better, but it would accomplish nothing more than to satisfy some urge he had buried that made him want to hurt Xander as much as he had once been hurt.



He walked over to his friend and brought a hand up to his face before leaning his forehead against Xander's. "I've been stupid lately, and I want you to be happy."



He pulled back and smiled. "I really know what that means now. I love you, I love Anya, let's go get you married."



Xander chuckled, a goofy grin spreading across his face.



"Thanks, Will."



***



Spike stood next to Xander, but he was only half listening to their words. His focus was entirely on Buffy. He realized now why she always shied away from sappy movies. She was barely holding in the sniffles. It was the most adorable thing he'd ever seen.



She caught him staring and he changed his mind about the most adorable thing when an embarrassed smile spread across her lips and a blush across her cheeks.



He couldn't help but chuckle a little, but then he caught Anya's death glare and focused back on the ceremony.



Yeah, it was beautiful. Xander, the big nancy was barely holding back the tears, and Spike didn't think he'd ever seen Anya both so happy and so in megalomaniac mode in his life.



She was at once gushing and putting the smackdown on anyone stupid enough to try to mess with her wedding. And it was hard to mess with. It was a tiny ceremony, just the housemates, Dawn, Giles, and Fred. They'd all taken a shine to the psychiatrist, and Fred assured them it was mutual.



Now they were all sitting around a small table, the toasts done (Giles had almost cried, Spike just made everyone laugh, and probably embarrassed the hell out of Xander), the was music playing, and everyone was feeling at least a little buzz.



"Wanna dance, baby?"



Buffy smiled up at Spike and wrapped her arms around his neck heavily. "Always wanna dance with you."



Spike chuckled and lifted her off her feet and kissed her soundly. "How much you drink, pet?"



"Mmm... don't know, but I sure feel great."



He settled her back on her shaky legs and pulled her close. "Better let me lead then."



They swayed together slowly, even though the music didn't exactly call for it.



"Hey, not your wedding, Billy."



Spike glared at Dawn but let it go as she jumped away to join a friend she'd invited to the reception.



"Are we really as bad as she makes us out to be?"



"No, luv, she's just mad she's not getting any."



"Oh please never talk about my sister and sex again."



He laughed and kissed her again. Buffy moaned into his mouth and tangled her hands in the hair at the back of his neck.



He pulled away reluctantly before she caused an embarrassing reaction.



"If we were the ones getting married would you let me get you all hot and bothered in public?"



Spike almost choked but recovered quickly. "Uhh... I'm always hot and bothered around you, pet, but we don't have to be in public anymore."



"You don't think we should stay?"



He glanced over at the table where only Giles and Fred remained. Tara and Willow were talking to Dawn, and Xander and Anya were nowhere to be seen.



"I don't think we'll be too terribly missed."



"What about Dawn?"



Spike shrugged. "Little smartass can find a way I'm sure."



Buffy laughed and nodded. "Don't let me ask anymore questions. Let's go."



***



"Buffy?"



"Hmm?"



Spike realized she was half asleep, and now was not the time to try to pry answers out of her, but he couldn't help himself. With any luck she would remember anything and he wouldn't have to explain himself.



"Is that the kind of wedding you'd want... or.. or did you want something big, like they'd planned?"



She rolled over to face him and tried in spite of her exhaustion to pay close attention to him. "Why?"



"Just wondering," he said a little too quickly.



Buffy raised and eyebrow and smiled. "Umm.. I guess a small one, maybe not that small, but small. The beach was beautiful though, they couldn't have picked a more incredible sunset."



"Yeah," he whispered, his eyes on her lips. He leaned down and brushed his against hers. "You're beautiful."



She snorted and flopped onto her back. "Yeah, I can imagine, half passed out drunk with smeared make-up."



He smiled and leaned over her. "It's only a little smeared," he whispered before kissing her again.



"Mmmm..." She ran her hands up his chest and held his face between her hands. "You're so obvious, it's sad."



"What?"



"You know what," she said, kissing him again.



He ran his hand down her side and brought it between her legs. "I have no idea what you're talking about."



She gasped as his thumb came into contact with her clit. "Don't try to change the subject."



"Is that what I'm doing?" he teased, two of his fingers finding their way inside her. He kissed her again, his tongue stroking hers lightly. She moaned into his mouth as he brought her closer and closer to orgasm.



"Yes, baby, do it for me."



Buffy squeezed her eyes shut as the first wave hit her but then opened them immediately to look into his eyes. "Spike," she gasped.



He nudged her legs apart with his hand and she spread them and pulled him into her arms. He looked down at her before poising himself at her entrance.



She noticed he'd stopped and tilted her hips to take him in. "Oh, God."



She couldn't help but smile and pull him tighter against her. "You're really good at that subject changing thing."



She felt him shake above her as she contracted her muscles around him. "Buffy, if you're so damn clever, why don't you fill me in," he whispered as he pulled almost all the way out before thrusting back in, causing her to cry out his name again.



"That's your job."



She wrapped her legs around his waist and met his thrusts with as much power as she could.



"That right?"



"Mmm.."



She reached up and pinched his nipples and she felt his cock jump inside her.



"That's cheating," he panted before reaching down to rub her clit.



"So's that... oh you bastard!" she cried out, quaking beneath him, her pussy tightening around his cock almost painfully.



"Buffy!"



He collapsed on top of her, trying to catch his breath. He rolled off and pulled her against his side. "Are we really having this conversation now?"



Buffy yawned and punched his side lightly. "Not now, jerk. I'm too tired. Don't think I'm letting you off that easy though."



"Never underestimate you like that baby."



He waited for her reply, but all her got was light snoring.



"Bloody lightweight," he muttered before closing his eyes and following her.

Epilogue: I Want You by lucky021

A/N: This is it.



Now all my fathers, they've gone down
True love they've been without it.
But all their daughters put me down
'Cause I don't think about it.

Well, I return to the Queen of Spades
And talk with my chambermaid.
She knows that I'm not afraid
To look at her.
She is good to me
And there's nothing she doesn't see.
She knows where I'd like to be
But it doesn't matter.
I want you, I want you,
I want you so bad,
Honey, I want you.
-Bob Dylan, "I Want You"



 


Spike watched Buffy as she slept and wondered just what she'd been thinking as she tried to get him to admit his motives. He was too thrown off by her intuition to give in to her. He couldn't lose that much control, because, with her he already felt like there was almost nothing he could deny her.



He was hers, totally, and forever. But it all came back to the fact that she was just starting out on her own, and he'd been through his fair share of mistakes of the adult variety. He'd seen the best and the worst of himself, made bad bloody calls, but lately he'd finally figured out how to grow up.



Buffy didn't even seem to need it. She'd been his rock throughout the year, there for him in every way without question. He sometimes forgot that she was the younger one. Here she was, raising a sister, both parents gone, and one who was never really there to begin with. He'd had nothing but support from both his parents for his entire life, and he'd squandered it.



And here he was, once again feeling sorry for himself. His whole life he'd been floundering, never really sure where he was going and what he was trying to do. Now he was sure. He wanted to spend the rest of his life with Buffy, he wanted to write, and he wanted to raise kids that would a much better addition to society than he'd ever been.



Was Buffy ready for that? Even if she thought she wanted it now, would she feel the same when she'd graduated and found a career? And what if it took them in separate directions, and she ended up hating him for one decision or another they'd make because they were married?



They'd only known each other for less than a year, and granted, they'd been to hell and back, but did that mean they could make it through whatever was ahead?



Spike brushed her hair from her face and couldn't help but kiss her softly. Every part of her was precious to him. Every time he though of her, every time he watched her like this, his heart clenched in his chest and he knew it had to be love.



He sighed and kissed her cheek softly before getting out of bed. He threw on some sweat pants and glanced back to make sure she was still asleep before shutting the door softly and sneaking downstairs.



He stopped in the doorway to the kitchen when he saw Tara sitting at the counter.



"Couldn't sleep either?"



He shook his head and sat next to her. "Too much going on up here tonight," he said softly, gesturing to his head.



"I guess I'm still a little buzzed from the whole thing today. Willow passed out a few hours ago and I didn't want to wake her tossing and turning."



Spike nodded and they sat in comfortable silence for a moment.



"It's been a while since we've had a chance to talk, Will."



He glanced over at her and smiled. "I've missed you, luv."



"Me too."



Spike sat for a moment, trying to build the courage to unburden himself on Tara when she started speaking.



"I think she'd say yes."



He looked at her sideways. "Who'd say yes about what?"



"And I think you should at least be honest with her about your concerns."



"What the bloody hell are you going on about?"



Tara smiled and shook her head. "You're not the toughest nut to crack."



"Tara, I don't-"



"William." He looked over at her and sighed.



"Couldn't even let me bring it up myself, buggery women all hell bent on speaking for me."



"So did she bring it up then?"



He shrugged. "Not exactly, I tried to be sly about it and she caught on without missing a beat. She's too smart for me."



Tara laughed quietly and Spike realized he really had missed talking to her. They hadn't spoken in private since he'd come back from Woodstock, and she'd always been his most level headed confidant.



"So you think she'll say yes. I think she might too, but that doesn't mean it's the best decision for us. I mean, I'm nearly 25, she's 20, and yeah, five years isn't much, but I'm at a crossroads and she's just starting. Who knows where she'll be in two years, and I have a feeling I'm going to be sitting back in Sunnydale, or moping around Woodstock, attempting to write and scraping by."



"So basically, you're done then?"



"Yes. I mean no. I mean... Fuck, I don't know. I know what I want, I just don't think it's going to happen."



Tara reached for his hand and turned it over. "I see... lots of love, a strong family... a big house, swimming pool and three cars-"



"You're making this up."



She smiled at him, but didn't release his hand. "Yeah, but isn't that what you want me to say?"



"I'm not asking you to give me validation or fix my problems," he said sullenly, pulling his hand away.



"Will..." She sighed. "I'm sorry, I'm not trying to make fun of you."



"Funny, that's what it looks like."



She reached for his hand and held it again between both of hers. "Look, I wish I could solve things, or at least give you the perfect advice that's guaranteed to work, but I can't. I can tell you that I think you're thinking too hard about it all."



"So you want me to jump in head first, see what happens, possibly have Buffy resenting me for the rest of my life because she married me before she was even really out in the world?"



"Do you really even see that as a possibility?"



"I see everything as a bloody possibility! She could hate me, love me, just become indifferent after a while. What we have now is the most incredible thing that's ever happened to me. I can't lose it."



"You do realize that getting married is kind of the way you say you want to keep it forever, right?"



He slumped his shoulders in defeat. "I just don't want to ask her because I think she'll feel an obligation to say yes when she's really not sure. I don't want to make any decisions for her."



Tara squeezed his hand and turned his face toward her. "You seem like you already have."



"What?"



"You act like it's inevitable that things will fall apart a few years from now. It's really not. Look at Xander and Anya, look at me and Willow. You've had relationships, and they've failed, but Will, that wasn't because it was simply going to happen, they just weren't the right ones. I see you with Buffy, and I feel like something is finally perfect in your life. It wasn't there with Dru, it wasn't there romantically with Xander and Anya... and as much as at the time I wish it had been... it wasn't there with us."



Spike looked hard into Tara's eyes. "Yeah.." he said softly. It felt like he was letting something go, and it felt good. And he realized something the longer he looked at Tara. When he'd first met Buffy, he'd been living in the past, and then she'd helped him to get out of that, but he'd jumped into the future. His whole life had been about nostalgia or planning, and maybe all the undue stress he'd put himself through could be easily remedied by living in and for the moment.



Things with Buffy would take their natural course if he'd let them, and if things got bad, they'd get bad, he was a stronger man now. But all signs seemed to point to things going incredibly well.



"I think I'm ready to get some sleep."



Spike stood with her and pulled her into a warm embrace. "Thank you, luv."



She pulled back and kissed his cheek. "Night, Will, I'll see you in the morning."



***



"Spike?" Buffy mumbled sleepily.



"Yeah, luv?"



She rolled over to face him as he removed his pants and slid into bed next to her. "Where'd you go?"



"Just needed to do some thinking, and I was thirsty. Go on back to sleep."



She allowed him to pull her against his chest. "I'm not as tired anymore."



He tensed for a moment before relaxing. Living in the moment. Right. Starting now.



"Oh?"



"Nevermind, Spike, I'm sorry."



He felt her distancing herself both physically and emotionally and pulled her back to him, rolling her onto her back. "No, Buffy, I was being stupid earlier."



"You were?"



"Yeah." He bent down and hesitated before she lifted her head a bit to kiss him. It was soft and sweet, meant more to reassure themselves of what they had than to ignite anything.



"You really want to talk now?"



She pushed him onto his back and rested her head on his chest. "I think it's easier.. in the dark sometimes."



"I don't think I need it to be that easy anymore." She looked up to find him gazing back at her. "Buffy, I love you."



"I know."



He sat up and brought her with him. "Do you?"



"Spike?"



"I mean... I love you, I want what's best for you, and I want you to be with me because you love me, not because of any obligation."



He looked down and moved his hands from around her waist to clasp them in his lap.



"Hey," she whispered, tilting his chin so that he could look into her eyes, "I've thought about it... a lot, and I'm not in delusionville here. I'm not thinking everything's easy or will be. I'm not thinking that there aren't going to be things that might threaten to break us up... But, we've seen some terrible things in each other, we've made it. I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe in you."



He kissed her then, with all the emotions he felt when he was around her. The confusion and the lust, the joy, pain, and most of all, love. She crawled into his lap and reached between them, stroking him to hardness before sinking down and wrapping her arms around his neck.



They rocked together slowly without words until Buffy whispered, "I believe in you," and Spike came.



***



1 Year Later



They'd reached a sort of agreement that night together, though unspoken. Neither felt the need to bring up marriage again, really. Things just seemed to be progressing naturally, and that was good for both of them. They were happy, and even though they were only ones left to get married, no one made an attempt to find out from one or the other when they would take the next step.



After Dawn's graduation, Buffy sold the house in L.A. and moved them both back to Sunnydale for the summer. Dawn planned to go to UCLA when school started and live in the dorms, but she took Buffy's old room in the house while Buffy moved in with Spike until then.



Xander found a lucrative new job and it helped Anya make enough money to buy a coffee shop that had all the potential for greatness, just bad managing.



They flirted with the idea of moving away but as weird as it was to still live with everyone, there really wasn't a better place to be for the time being.



Tara graduated and managed to land a job in publishing while Willow finished up school. They remained in the house as well after their impromptu wedding in Boston.



So it left Spike and Buffy, the only couple "still living in sin," as Dawn would frequently remind them. The whole group had plans to visit Woodstock to celebrate Spike's new book soon to be on the shelves. And on that trip, he planned to remedy the sin situation.



And he couldn't wait.



***



"What are you waiting for?"



Spike looked up from his dresser and saw Buffy standing with her hands on her hips in the doorway. "What?"



"You've been staring at that drawer for I don't know how long. If there is one thing about you that I will never come to grips with, it's the way you pack."



"Oi, what's wrong with my packing?"



Buffy sighed and leaned against the door. "Back and forth, back and forth, like you don't even know what you're putting it, and sometimes you just stop, and stare, like you're doing right now."



Spike grabbed his last item and shoved it in the suitcase before zipping it closed. "Just thinking, alright? I'm done now mother, happy?"



Buffy smirked and walked toward him, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Don't take that tone with me or I might have to put you over my knee."



"Promises, promises," he sighed wistfully before kissing her softly. "You all ready then, I suppose?"



"Of course, you know me," she pressed herself closer to him and nipped at his earlobe. "Always... ready."



He felt himself harden at her words and ran his hands down her back until he reached her ass and pressed her hard against his erection. "Buffy," he groaned against her neck, "don't we need to call the cab?"



She slid her hand between them and squeezed his cock through his jeans. "I've taken care of everything, I didn't think we could manage to get on the plane before this."



He pushed her back against the dresser. "You know me too well."



She kissed him softly at first, but he was having none of it, all too soon her top was off and he was trying with shaking hands to undo her pants. "Stupid bloody buttons, never get these buggery button flys again, pet."



She couldn't help but chuckle and helped him finish the job. Before he pants were even fully off his head was between her thighs. She threw her head back and tried not to scream, she couldn't lose her bet with Anya. She could so go a day without Spike loving, she just didn't want to. Thin walls sucked.



Spike lifted her bottom slightly so that he could get a better angle and attacked her clit with abandon. He slid two fingers inside her and pumped them slowly, driving her insane.



"God, Spike!"



He smiled but didn't stop with his tongue. He felt her start to clench around his fingers and was surprised when she threw him off and kicked her pants the rest of the way off before starting with his buttons.



"Luv, what are you-"



"No time, the cab'll be here, and I need you."



He wasn't about to argue. He propped himself up against the bed and pulled her into his lap, sliding her slowly down onto his length.



They both let out a ragged moan before she started to move on him. He thrust up into her hard and fast, loving the sounds she made ever time he hit her in just the right spot.



"Buffy, luv... I'm-"



She cut him off with a scream that she attempted to muffle by biting down on his shoulder which set him off. They sat panting for a moment, and Spike ran his hands up and down her back, loving how she melted into his arms after sex.



Outside a car horn honked and Buffy kissed him soundly before standing and pulling her pants back on.



"Buffy, Spike, the car's here!"



Anya stood outside their door with a huge grin. "Nice try, honey, pay up."



Spike looked confused as Buffy grudgingly pulled out a five and handed it to her friend.



"Bitch."



"Sore loser nympho."



"What the-"



Buffy just grabbed his hand and pulled him down the stairs.



"Don't ask."



***



"Buffy?"



"Yeah?" she mumbled, trying to stifle a yawn."



"Nevermind, go back to sleep."



"I wasn't asleep, what is it?"



She focused on his face and realized something. He was nervous. Which made her a little nervous. Which made both occupants in the bed incredibly tense.



They sat in silence for a moment as it sank in and Buffy's eyes grew larger and larger until Spike couldn't help but laugh and soon she was joining him.



And the spell was broken. All the anxiety and fear was gone and he pulled her to him and kissed her passionately.



"I love you," he said, breaking away, breathless. "Marry-"



"Yes!"



"I didn't even get to finish!"



"Sorry, but it's not like I didn't see it coming."



"Yeah, and the whole shock thing, real attractive on you."



"Asshole.. like the whole sweating bullets when you already know the answer thing was totally becoming."



They started laughing again and he grabbed his pants and pulled the ring out of his pocket before slipping it on her finger. "Perfect fit, luv."



"When did you get this?"



"It was Jenny's. Dad gave it to me a while back, it was his mother's I guess."



"Spike-"



He cut her off with a kiss and moved his fingers to her ribs, tickling her gently until he had her gasping for breath and attempting to retaliate.



They couldn't help but keep giggling between kisses. Spike didn't think he'd ever been this giddy. He'd been happy before, joyful one might say, but this was probably the most exciting moment he'd had, and maybe that was due to the total comfort of it.



Everything with Buffy came naturally it seemed. They knew each other in and out, and he couldn't have imagined taking her out somewhere or setting something totally romantic up. For any other girl, maybe that would be the right call, but with Buffy there was something about laying with her, after a long day, nothing too sexual about, though the chemistry was always there, just love and safety. Their bodies fit together just right, and at this point he wasn't sure he'd be able to sleep well without her.



At some point their play had changed in tone and now she was moaning underneath him as he moved his fingers slowly over her body. She pulled and pushed him until he was trapped between her thighs, not that he'd want to be anywhere else.



"Where you planning this for a while?" she asked as he positioned himself at her opening.



"This?" he asked sliding inside her.



"That's a smart mouth you've got," she said before pulling his head down so that she could kiss him thoroughly.



"You love it."



"Yeah, guess I do."



"Now you're stuck with it for life."



She smiled and kissed him again. "Wouldn't want to be stuck with anything else."



***



Had Anya known that getting a new housemate would have resulted in all this, she would have tried a lot harder at first.



She took the pipe from Spike and smiled at he and Buffy, for once totally happy with their displays of affection. Buffy's ring wasn't any more extravagant than hers, so the showing off of it wasn't really a problem either.



She took a hit and blew it out slowly, letting the smoke linger in front of her for a moment as she mused about Spike's money problems and his need for that car bringing him this level of happiness.



"See, money is a good thing."



Everyone looked at her for a moment, not understanding her outburst and then shrugged.



At Xander's questioning look she said, "I'm a little too high to get the point across totally to you, but trust me, money's a good thing, look at Buffy and Spike."



Xander pulled her closer and passed the pipe to Tara. "Sure, honey."



"I'm glad we all got to come back here for this, y'know?" Willow said, leaning heavily on Tara as she blew out a large cloud of smoke.



"Me too, and Buffy and I have another announcement. We want to have the wedding here, not as few people as Xander and Anya's, but pretty small."



There was a chorus of cheers from the group and they all moved to hug the happy couple. "Why this place?" Tara asked when they'd all gotten back into the circle.



"Well... I guess because it's the place where we first-"



"Ahem.." Giles muttered abruptly.



Spike looked panicked for a moment and Buffy spoke up, "where we first.. found God.. together."



"Right, and I'm sure you spent ample amounts of time with the Lord after that," Giles commented dryly.



"Calling out his name at least," Spike replied before smirking and hugging Buffy tightly against him.



"I think it's adorable," Fred said through her own puff of smoke. "They're all grown up, Rupert."



She nudged him slightly and he rolled his eyes. "I suppose, but I'd rather not imagine my son in any more compromising positions than I've already been forced to witness in the flesh."



"Sorry about that, Giles" Buffy said, blushing slightly.



"Just teaches me not to just wander about my own home in the middle of the day."



"You guys are still doing the every room, every visit thing? Xander, we need to catch up."



Giles sighed and cleaned his glasses. "Some things never change."



Spike looked down at Buffy and kissed her softly.



"Thank God for that," he whispered in her ear.



She just smiled.



***



A/N: So there it is. I hope it meets most if not all expectations. This is the first time I wrote an entire first draft and changed it completely. It was something much more serious than this, and I didn't think that fit with the intent of the fic. Big thanks to everyone who reviewed throughout and managed to stay with me with all the gaps at times. I'm glad I could finally pay off everyone who's been waiting.


Now I've got a ficathon to work on and I'm finishing up the rest of my WIPs before moving on to a new idea that's been begging to be written, but I've refused to start until this baby was done. Can't believe how long it got, but I'm pretty proud.


Oh, and I was so excited when I thought of this song for this chapter. It's so carefree and perfect, and that particular verse mirrors the situation with Tara and Spike perfectly. Just a great song, and a great way to encapsulate the feel of this whole thing. Now I'm proud.

This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=2038