Welcome to Sunnydale, Superman! by Brat
Summary: Crossover: Buffy/Superman. Set in S5 of Buffy, but completely off canon. No Glory, no Dawn, but after "Crush." Spoilers for Superman Returns Superman comes to Sunnydale in search of Buffy after a vampire attacks Lois Lane in broad daylight. It seems Lex Luthor is involved and up to no good. Spike, Buffy, Superman and Lois set to find out just what is going on. Truths and loves are revealed -- not to mention much snarkiness and lots of fun along the way. Pairings: Spike/Buffy, Lois/Superman (Clark)
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 35963 Read: 30255 Published: 07/16/2006 Updated: 01/06/2007

1. One by Brat

2. Two by Brat

3. Three by Brat

4. Four by Brat

5. Five by Brat

6. Six by Brat

7. Seven by Brat

8. Eight by Brat

9. Nine by Brat

10. Ten by Brat

11. Eleven by Brat

12. Twelve by Brat

13. Thirteen by Brat

14. Fourteen by Brat

15. Fifteen by Brat

16. Sixteen by Brat

17. Seventeen by Brat

18. Eighteen by Brat

19. Nineteen by Brat

20. Twenty by Brat

21. Twenty one by Brat

22. Twenty two by Brat

23. Twenty-three by Brat

24. Twenty Four by Brat

25. Twenty five by Brat

26. Twenty-six by Brat

27. Twenty-seven by Brat

28. Twenty-eight by Brat

One by Brat
Author's Notes:
This is just me obsessing over Superman and thinking how much fun it'd be to put Spuffy in the mix.
“How was patrol last night?” Willow asked her best friend over a coffee at the Espresso Pump one morning.

Buffy’s yawn was her answer.

“Lots of baddies, then?” Willow asked, sipping her coffee.

“Well, not so much baddies as there was a certain bleached vampire that wouldn’t shut his trap for two minutes,” Buffy grumbled.

Willow giggled, “Spike making patrol difficult for you?”

Buffy rolled her eyes, “Does he ever make anything easy for me?”

“He loves you.”

Buffy glared at her friend. “Would you stop with that?”

“Why, when you blush every time I say it.”

“I do not!”

“Yep, you do. And the fact that you do it without knowing is even better.”

Buffy shook her head, “I don’t want to talk about that anymore. Let’s talk about class. Did you read?”

Willow gave her an ‘are you serious’ look.

“Right. Stupid question. Well, I read too. Despite Spike’s ramblings, it was very quiet and he was on the lookout for me while I read my homework. And then I made the mistake of asking him one question and got a forty-five minute lecture.”

Willow laughed, “You have to admit, he comes in handy when it comes to history and literature.”

“Yeah, but my God he can go on and on. I told him he should be a professor.”

“And what did he think about that?”

“That it sounded like fine idea had I not taken the Gem of Amara from him last year. I told him there are night classes. He huffed at me.”

“You two are like an old married couple,” Willow giggled.

“Bite your tongue!” Buffy exclaimed. She was about to lay into her friend when a shriek came sounding from across the street. Alert, as any Slayer would be, Buffy shoved her way from the crowd, intent of finding out the source of that shriek. Her green eyes darting around, she could make no one out in immediate danger – not that someone would necessarily attack in broad daylight.

Rushing across the street, and ignoring those around her, Buffy focused on that shriek and used her “super” hearing to locate the source. Finding herself down an alley, she found the source. A woman was pressed up against the wall and a vampire – of course-- was about to take a nice chunk out of the woman’s neck.

Snapping into action, Buffy reached quickly into her purse and grabbed the stake she had in there. Tapping the vamp on the back, she almost smiled at his stupidity for turning to her and snarling. Without a word, she staked him and then it dawned on her as the morning sun covered her in its warmth. Looking up at the trembling girl, Buffy said in wonder, “It’s daylight out. There was a vampire out in the sun!”

********


“In the daylight you say?” Giles asked as he cleansed his glasses.

Buffy nodded, watching him and wondering if one day he’d rub a hole in those puppies. “Yep, I say it was daylight. Broad daylight. What does that mean anyway?”

Spike, who sat next to her, opened his mouth, probably to tell her since he would know where the saying come from, and Buffy halted him by holding up her hand. “I don’t want to know.”

Spike glared at her and clamped his mouth shut.

“There are no other Gems around that you know of, is there Spike?” Giles asked, sitting down comfortably in his chair.

Spike shook his head. “Nope. Not that I know of. And if I’d known there were, you can be sure I would have gotten it by now.”

Buffy gave him a look.

“What? I wouldn’t do anything bad with it.”

“Ri-ight,” Buffy drawled.

“You always think the worst of me, pet. You know, that hurts,” Spike said and placed his hand over his heart.

Buffy rolled her eyes.

“Do you two think you could stop verbally sparring with each other long enough to go out and maybe find if it was just a fluke or if something is in fact going on out there? This is the Hellmouth, so we---“

“Yeah, we got it Rupes. We got it and we’re on it. Don’t need the lecture,” Spike said jumping up from his seat. “Time we got out there, don’t you think, pet?” Spike smiled sweetly at Buffy.

“Suck up,” Buffy grumbled.

********


“How is it possible that some vamp got out in the daylight like that, and you being a vamp, didn’t hear about it?” Buffy asked for the hundredth time as they circled round Restfield again.

“I cavort with the Slayer and her human friends, how do you think I didn’t know? I’m not kept in the bloody loop anymore. I’m a mole to them.”

“A mole?”

“You know; a spy. I get in and get information from them, act like I’m their best mate and then I come squealing to you.”

“Except that you don’t do that,” Buffy pointed out.

“Well, no, you’re right. I don’t. But I could.”

“But you don’t.”

“But I could.”

“But—nevermind.” She shook her head in frustration. “You know... it’s been really quiet around here. Like eerily quiet. Like those mates of yours are planning something big.”

“You think it has to do with that vamp in the sun today?”

“I’m beginning to. I mean, for the past week it’s been like this. Hardly any vamps at all. And aside from the bumpies and pale skin, it’s not like we’d know they were among us. So maybe they’re out in the day instead of the night – must be somehow easier.”

“Or at least more fun,” Spike mused.

Buffy nudged him with her elbow.

“I’m just sayin’ pet. A vamp only has the darkness. You don’t think I’d give anything to go out in the sun with yo—the...sun? To have it beating down on my face once more, to see the ocean and how blue it is, to see what everything looks like in the day rather than the night? I’ve done the night for over a hundred years now. I wouldn’t mind some sun.”

“You made me almost feel bad for you,” Buffy grinned.

“Excuse me; do you know where I might find a Buffy Summers?”

Spike and Buffy turned around to see –

“Oh my...” Buffy’s jaw dropped.

“What’s with the getup?” Spike said rudely to the man before them in red and blue, with a few yellow splashed on here and there, not to mention the big red S on his chest and the red cape.

Buffy hit him, “That’s Superman, you idiot!”
Two by Brat
Spike cocked his head to the side and eyed him. “Superman you say?”

“You’ll have to forgive him. He can go on and on about 18th century literature, and even tell you all you didn’t want to know about the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World War I and II, but simple things escape him. Like, well, you,’ Buffy told Superman, smiling cheekily. “I’m Buffy Summers, how can I help you?” Hello, tall, dark and so infinitely gorgeous.

“I know who the bloody hell Superman is, you annoying chit, but hell, didn’t expect to see him here. Figured we’d got ourselves some kind of loon. That spandex?” Spike asked pointing to Superman’s costume.

“Partly, yes,” Superman replied, furrowing his brow. “Who are you?”

“Spike or, as I have been called, William the Bloody.”

Buffy snorted, “He wishes.”

Superman came forward, his cape waving in the wind. He sniffed at Spike who took a step back, disgust written on his face. “Are you a vampire?” Superman asked.

“Well, mark one up for the man in tights,” Spike said, nudging the Slayer.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Would you stop insulting him? God, he’s Superman. Could you have some respect? Just because you don’t go for – how does it go? – Truth—“

“Justice,” Superman supplied.

“And the American Way,” Spike finished. “Yeah, I know all that rot, pet. The whole bloody tune.”

“Excuse him. Again.” Buffy said, stepping in front of Spike. “How do you know who I am? I mean . . Do you know who I am?”

“You’re the Vampire Slayer,” Superman said, nodding.

Buffy blushed, “Wow. I mean, Superman has heard of me. Superman. Superman has heard of me—“

“You’ll have to forgive her now. She’s so devoted to her sacred duty that she’s become socially inept and mildly mentally challenged,” Spike informed Superman.

“How is it that a vampire and a Slayer are friends? Or. . . lovers?” Superman inquired.

“Oh, definitely not lovers,” Buffy jumped in, ignoring the hurt on Spike’s face at her denial. Well, we aren’t, she thought. “And well, a friend…depends on the day.”

Superman chuckled, “I see. Do you have a soul?”

Spike shook his head. “Even better. A chip.”

“A chip?”

“In my cranium. Thanks to the bloody government and their hair brained ideas about keeping the demon community under control. Bunch of fuckin’ amateurs –“

“Here we go,” Buffy sighed.

“Well, you were part of them for a bit and look what almost happened to you,” Spike said pointedly.

“Yeah, and I also recall that you trusted them enough once to have one of their doctor’s try and get the stupid chip out.”

“Almost had it out until Captain Cardboard came along—“

I was with him jackass. Didja think I was gonna let you get away with that?”

Spike opened his mouth to retort, but Superman cut him off. “I’m sorry, but are you sure you’re not lovers?”

Both heads whipped to Superman and Buffy retorted to that with an adamant “No”, and Spike just smirked. “You might not be a bad bloke after all.”

********


“So let me get this straight,” Buffy began an hour later as she, Spike and Superman were headed on their way to the other cemetery across town. “Some vamp attacked Lois Lane outside The Daily Planet.”

“Right,” Superman said nodding.

“And it was daytime,” Spike affirmed.

“Right.”

“So, who staked him?” Buffy asked.

“Clark Kent, one of the uh, reporters,” Superman said, rubbing the back of his neck.

Buffy and Spike nodded in unison, both thoughtful.

“Why her?” Buffy asked.

“I believe it has to do with Lex Luthor.”

“How do you figure?”

“The vampire was wearing one of Luthor’s designer suits. His initials were monogrammed right on the suit.”

“Wait, the class has a question,” Spike interrupted. “How did you know all this if you weren’t there?”

“From Clark,” Superman told him. “He, uh, he picked up on it.”

“I see,” Spike said warily.

“So, Luthor sent some vampire out to get Lois?” Buffy asked.

“I believe so.”

“But why?”

“She was the one who tipped me off to where she was when Luthor kidnapped her and Jason—“

“Jason?”

“Her son.”

“Okay, sorry, continue. She tipped off you to that whole plan Luthor had to wipe out half of North America?”

“Right,” Superman said nodding.

“So, he wanted revenge, and sent a vamp to take care of Miss Lane. But in the day. So bizarre. And you don’t know where he is?”

“I know he’s off the island he was on with Kitty.”

“Kitty?”

“Girlfriend.”

“And you came here, why?”

“I hear things, Miss Summers. I get around. I’ve heard of the Slayer, and then I decided it was time to look her up.”

Buffy stopped. “You want to team up?”

Superman nodded, “If I could, yes.”

Buffy smiled up at him dazzlingly. “I’d love to! It’s not everyday a celebrity like you comes to town.”

“I recall you having the same bloody reaction when Drac was in town,” Spike drawled.

“Shut up,” Buffy snapped at him.

“I don’t wish to make my presence well-known,” Superman said hesitantly. “I realize that some attraction will be drawn, but I don’t wish to draw an audience. You understand?”

“Good luck with that,” Spike muttered.

“I completely understand. We’ll try to keep it on the down low as much as possible,” Buffy assured him. “As long as you make me a promise.”

“And that is?”

“My identity is also a secret. I’m Buffy Summers, student and daughter extraordinaire during the day, but at night I’m the Slayer and it’s not safe for too many people to be aware of what I do.”

“Ah yes. I have read that the Slayer is a guarded secret. No friends, sheltered life –“

“Not to mention a short life.”

“Hey,” Spike jumped in, “We’ll have no talk of that now.”

Buffy tossed him a small, grateful smile over her shoulder.

“Will you be working with us as well, Spike?” Superman asked.

Spike moved forward. “Yes, I will mate.”

“You don’t feel the desire to instead team up with Luthor?”

Spike looked sidelong at Buffy. “No. Where the girl goes, I go.”

Buffy looked away and Superman smiled. “Sounds like we have a deal then. Where shall we start?”
Three by Brat
Author's Notes:
Yay! I'm glad you guys are liking it :) Thank you!
“There are two ways to spell vampire right?” Lois Lane asked Clark Kent as he was passing by her desk.

Clark stopped abruptly and his hip hit the picture of her, Richard and Jason. She lunged for it, and Clark caught it. “Sorry,” he mumbled. Straightening, he replied, “There are two ways to spell it. With a y instead of an i.”

Lois clicked her pen on the desk. “Thanks, Clark.”

“Lois?”

She looked up. “Yeah?”

“How’s the –“ he pointed to her neck, “neck wound?”

She smiled, “I’m fine, Clark.”

“Well, it was a little scary.”

She shrugged, “A day in the life, some might say. No more scarier than being in a plummeting plane.”

“Superman was there for that one,” Clark mused thoughtfully.

“And you were there for this one.” She smiled broadly, “Guess that means I owe you my life then?”

“Keep your life, Lois. Just stay out of trouble, that’s all I ask.”

Lois laughed, “That’s like asking the sun not to shine.”

Clark frowned, “I know.” I know all too well, he thought. Clearing his throat he asked, “Are you writing about your own attack?”

Lois sat up straighter, “In a manner of speaking. Don’t worry, I plan to interview you.”

“Gee, thanks.”

“But I want to do a little background on vampires first. I mean first of all – a vampire. Myth right? And then poof—there’s one walking around in broad daylight. Vampires are only supposed to come out at night. Maybe the mythology has changed along with the vampire.”

“Lois, maybe you should leave this one alone.”

She looked aghast. “Why?”

“Certain greedy, not to mention power-hungry snakes might enjoy the attention. They could think it aids their cause.”

“You mean like Lex?”

“Yes,” Clark said nodding.

“Don’t you think the people have a right to know that vampires are out there, some of them able to walk quite literally among us? The people have a right to know, Clark.” With that, she got up and stalked off; clearly annoyed that he’d only been trying to give her some friendly advice.

He supposed that’s what he got for trying to tell Lois Lane what story to write. He’d heard enough of her and Perry going twenty rounds to figure out that she did not take kindly to being told what to do. He knew that as Clark --her somewhat friend, her co-worker, and as Superman.

He loved the idea though of for once, making her listen to what he had to say – as all three incarnations.

*********


“What is that book, Lex?” Kitty asked, holding her Pomeranian tightly to her chest. After Lex’s threat to eat the dog should they run out of coconuts before they were rescued off possibly the smallest island on Earth, Kitty felt she needed to protect that dog from Lex’s paws. No pun intended.

Why she stayed with him, she did not know.

“This book, Kitty,” Lex said calmly as they set up shop in a seedy motel just outside Sunnydale, “Is how we’re going to bring the Master back.”

“The Master?” Kitty asked with trepidation. She did not like the sound of that at all.

“The Master is a vampire that was killed by the Vampire Slayer.”

“Vampire Slayer?”

“So much to teach you, Kitty.”

“Well, excuse me to not thinking about things like vampires. I didn’t even know they existed!”

Lex smiled, “And now you do.”

“I don’t like them. I think they want to eat me.”

Lex laughed. “Maybe so. You’d do well to stay on my good side after that stunt you pulled with the crystals, or I just might let them make you into a midnight snack.”

Kitty looked at him, condescendingly, “Or an afternoon snack with the way you’ve been giving them those…treatments.”

“At least you’re aware that you could in fact be vampire food. Now, sit back and let me tell you a little story about one girl in all the world…”

********


“Are you kidding me? Superman. Here? In Sunnydale. In boring, nothing new happening –“ Xander stopped off the incredulous looks he was getting. “I mean, creepy, always something going on, never boring Sunnydale.”

Giles rolled his eyes and Buffy just smirked. Willow was slack-jawed and Tara seemed to be taking it all in stride. Anya on the other hand, was primping in the hall mirror.

“And he took no issue with Spike being involved?” Giles asked primly.

Buffy shook her head, “Nope, not at all. The chip thing threw him off, but he seemed okay with it. I mean, if Spike is going to fail under anyone’s radar as something other than trustworthy, it’d be with Superman right?”

Giles raised a brow, “I would think the Slayer would be able to gauge something like that. And while he has proven himself to be an asset, Buffy, one cannot –“

Buffy waved her hand at him, “I know, I know, I know. One cannot let their guard down because the demon resides inside still and it’s only a chip blah, blah, blah. I get it. Trust me, I get it. I’m just saying that Superman is fine with Spike helping us. He’s okay with it, so I’m okay with it.”

“Have you got a crush on Superman, Buffy?” Willow teased.

Buffy blushed, “Will, wait until you see him!” She frowned, “Though you’re not really supposed to see him. He wanted to keep his presence quiet here.”

“Oh come on! He’s got to know it’s a package deal. Buffy and the Scoobies….and Spike, somehow, weirdly,” Xander said. “We’ll keep it amongst ourselves.

Everyone in the room, save for Anya, looked at him as if to say “yeah, right.”

Xander slid further into Giles’ couch, pouting, “You guys suck.”

“Does he have the curl? Does it really not move or change?” Willow asked excitedly.

Tara raised a brow and looked over at her girlfriend. “Honey, you’re a lesbian, remember?”

Willow nodded, “I know, but sweetie…you have to admit there are some men you would turn straight for.”

Tara laughed, “I suppose you’re right. He is, as you would say, of the ‘yummy’ variety.”

“Yummy?” Anya demanded as she stormed in to join the group. “He’s not just yummy. He is sex on . . . on two legs. With a red cape that can also function as a blanket.”

“Selling point right there. Super sex and a blanket for after to boot,” Buffy quipped.

Anya continued on ignoring her, “Can you imagine the sex you could have in the air? Now that would be a first. A definite new position the Kamma Sutra has never seen.”

“Uh, honey, can you remember that you do have a boyfriend and he is me, and me is sitting right here?” Xander said, pointing to himself over his head.

Buffy furrowed her brow. “I would think having sex while flying would be hard.”

“Duh, you’d have to be still!” Anya exclaimed rolling her eyes.

“Still, I mean the sheer logistics of it; you’d have to hold on for dear life. It couldn’t be much fun if you’re thinking ‘let go and I plummet to my death.’”

“He’d catch you!”

“Talk about killing the mood—“

“All right. As entertaining as this all is, how about we turn our attention to other matters and actually get done the research Buffy promised Superman she’d do?” Giles interrupted.

Grumbling, everyone reached for their respective books, and the research commenced.
Four by Brat
Author's Notes:
thank you for giving this little diddy a chance :)
Entering Spike’s crypt the way she usually did, by just pushing her way in, Buffy was surprised to find him not there. His TV was on, but there was no sign of him. He had to be down below.

“Spike?” she called.

“Be right up pet!” he called to her.

Making her way to the ladder that led to the bottom of his crypt, Buffy called down to him. “Can I come down?”

“No.”

She shrugged and made her way down anyway. She wasn’t one to take orders well, and especially not from Spike. Besides, she felt as though she sort of had license to invade his “personal space”. He had, after all, for months been breaking into her home and stealing stuff long before she found out.

Thinking back to that night she’d discovered his, well, altar to her, Buffy cringed. She liked the idea of someone being enamored with her – what girl didn’t—but that was a bit much. Not that she should have expected anything less from Spike though. He was a passionate guy – vampire—and he didn’t just half ass things. No, if he was going to love someone, then by God, he was going to stalk them. Not at all creepy. What made it creepier? The stalking bothered her more than the actual admittance of love.

“I thought I told you not to come down,” Spike snapped at her from behind a curtain.

“Since when do I listen to you? What are you doing?”

Stepping out from behind the curtain, Spike glared at her while wrapping a towel around his waist.

She gulped and looked away.

“I was taking a shower, luv.”

Curiously, she peered at him from the corner of her eye.

Wow, he’s hot. She shook her head, “No, no, no.” She started for the ladder.

Talking to yourself, luv?”

“I’ll um, wait for you upstairs,” she mumbled.

“I know, I get it.”

She stopped in her tracks, afraid to turn around, but wanting to so badly. “Get what?”

“That you can’t stand to be around me naked,” he said nonchalantly.

She fisted her hands. “And why is that?”

“Because you know you wouldn’t be able to help yourself.”

That did it. Buffy spun around and, mindless of his still near naked state, stalked over to him and poked him in the chest. She was going to ream him good for that one. “Not true.” Good job, Buffy, way to show him!

Spike started to laugh, “Then why are you so mad then, luv? And why are you blushing?”

She sputtered, “N-naked m-men always—“

“Please. You’re not a blushing virgin anymore, Buffy.”

She glared at him and he just grinned down at her, looking proud of himself, looking as if he’d just won some kind of victory. She’d show him. She wasn’t sure how yet, she thought as she made her way back up the ladder with Spike chuckling behind her, but she’d show him somehow.

********


Spike glanced warily at the Scoobies that were trailing behind them. “Buffy,” he whispered low enough for only her to hear. “Superman didn’t want an entourage.”

Buffy sighed, “I know, but…they’re my friends.”

“Friends, but not always helpers. Not to mention Xander doesn’t know how to keep his trap shut.”

“Ssshhh! They’ll hear you.”

“Already did, thanks Bleach Boy! See if I let you borrow a blanket again when you have nothing to shield you from the big, bright sun.”

Spike rolled his eyes and Buffy shrugged her apology. It was actually amazing to her that Spike was concerned about Superman and his request. It wasn’t like Spike to care much about anyone’s feelings or wishes.

He certainly was a strange vampire.

Just then, Superman descended from the sky. He smiled at Buffy, “Hello.” Looking past Spike and Buffy, he frowned, “You have company.”

“Well, sort of, they’re really just here to help,” Buffy explained. “I mean—“

“Hello Superman, hello Superman!!” Anya nearly shrieked, waving to him frantically.

Buffy felt horrible. It had seemed like a good idea that morning to involve the Scoobs. Extra hands meant figuring this out extra quickly. She had seen that as a good thing. Now she was seeing it as a colossal mistake. She didn’t want to turn around and tell her friends to go, thereby hurting their feelings, but she also hadn’t meant to blatantly insult Superman and his request either.

“Here’s the thing, Supes,” Spike said, stepping forward. “The Scoobies – uh, Buffy’s friends, they’re a right bunch of folks that are essential to helping the Slayer, uh, Buffy. They’ve been quite an asset to her, helping her avert apocalypses and such. The whelp is a bit of a nancy-boy—“

“Hey!” yelled Xander.

“But he’s a help, they all are. You’ve got the two witches, the ex demon and ...yeah, the whelp. And they’re quiet as can be when it comes to keeping secrets, too. More hands, more help. Wish you had extra help at times, ay Supe?”

Buffy blinked. Spike was now defending her friends’ right to be there after he’d just been scolding her for it? “Is the chip misfiring?” she couldn’t help but ask him. Spike gave her a look and turned back to Superman.

Superman sighed, “They’ll keep my presence here secret?”

“Shut tight,” Spike promised.

Superman nodded, “You are something, Miss Summers. Not only a Slayer, but a Slayer with friends.”

Buffy smiled, “See? I’m all with the helping.”

Superman smiled at her. “I should introduce myself.”

Buffy lunged and put her hands on his chest to stop him. “No, no. Don’t do that. The ex-demon? That’s the blond back there. She’s a little,” Buffy twirled her hand by her head, “Cuckoo. Cuckoo for you. Don’t engage.”

“But—“

“Trust us,” Spike jumped in.

“She won’t be here next time, we promise,” Buffy assured Superman.

Superman nodded. “All right then.”

“Yeah, next time we’ll make with the intro’s,” Buffy said. She stared at his chest and spread her fingers across it. She looked up at him. “You’re really warm.”

Superman smiled down at her, “Thank you.”

“All right, Buffy, get your hands off the superhero and let’s get back to work” Spike said, and grabbed her arm, all but yanking her off Superman. “Got work to do, pet.”

“Right. Work.” Buffy murmured and didn’t protest when Spike started to lead them to the warehouse where they decided was the ideal place to check for unusual activity. She didn’t even complain when Spike held onto her the whole way there.
Five by Brat
Spike was sniffing the air, an act that Superman was finding wildly amusing and fascinating. Meanwhile, the Scoobies were scouring the premises looking for any clues.

“Cologne. Strong cologne. Luthor wear cologne?” Spike asked Superman.

“He does,” Superman nodded, “And yes, it is strong.”

“Does he bathe in it?”

Superman chuckled. “Do you by any chance know what kind of cologne it is?”

Spike gave him a look, “Do I look like I know the names of colognes? I’m the bloody undead—“

“Isn’t that all the more reason to look into cologne?”

“Well, well, well. Not only does he save little kitties stuck up in trees, but he’s a comedian too.”

Buffy snickered, “Actually, Spike uses this Old Spice body wash—“

Both Superman and Spike looked at her. “What?” she said innocently.

“Pet, how do you happen to know that I use Old Spice body wash?” Spike demanded.

“Cause Angel used to –“

“All right, that’s it.” Spike said, throwing up his arms in exasperation. “Say no more before I heave. Now I smell like the bloody poof? I’ll be throwing that out,” he muttered. “Even if I have to smell like bloody Dial soap.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “I’m willing to bet that whatever the cologne is, it’s Luthor’s. I don’t know of many vamps – present company definitely excluded – that worries about things like that. Unless you know, they were complete metrosexuals before their death. And I’m thinking that’s a major stretch.”

“Cologne aside, would you say I'm a bit of a metrosexual, luv?”

Superman and Buffy both looked at him oddly and then Buffy turned back to Superman. “So, we’ve got somewhat of a trace. He was obviously here, which this place has seen some bad scenes.”

“Sunnydale is on, what did you call it again?”

“It was on the Hellmouth. This place has always been rife with demon and vampiric activity because of that.”

“Would you say a lot of magic has been done here as well?” Superman asked.

“Tons. Why do you ask?”

“Forgive me for saying this, but Sunnydale seems to be somewhat of a mystical place. It’s real, and yet lots of things happen here that don’t often happen in other so-called ‘normal’ towns.”

“I’ll second that,” Spike muttered. “This place has enough energy bumbling about to power a small country.”

“My point exactly,” Superman agreed. “If Luthor is employing vampires and somehow giving them the ability to walk in the day, and he’s come here to do it, then he must know about the energy of the place. He must be aware of some magic’s. Or, he’s learning as he goes.”

“The question is, how do we go about finding him?” Buffy mused, “I mean, he’s supposed to be stranded on an island and yet he’s not, right?”

Both men started to answer, but she cut them off as she paced. “He must know the trouble he’d get into if you were to find him. Though he made no bones about having Lois attacked. . . though he had her attacked while he’s here. He’s a diabolical mastermind, I’ll give you that.”

“But,” Spike interrupted. “Not that bright. He came here. To a place that is rife with demonic and mystical forces. He’s got to know the search would take him here.”

“Not necessarily,” Superman said, “I had to do quite a bit of hunting around before I found it. There are many places that trumpet themselves as having the most haunted occurrences, or having the strangest town. Sunnydale is a spec on the map compared to other places. The Vampire Slayer is spoken of as almost a joke – complete myth.”

“And yet you were able to come across Buffy,” Spike drawled.

“Like I said, I get around.”

“Just how much do you get around?” Spike asked, narrowing his eyes at him.

“Excuse me?”

“With the ladies, mate.”

“Spike!” Buffy exclaimed, horrified. “God, that’s private…and he’s Superman—“

“So what? That means he doesn’t have needs? He is still a man. I’m a man despite my undead body—“

“And without a soul,” Buffy interjected.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Not the point. The point is, Superman is a man along with being the Man of Steel. A man I’m sure that has needs, and I know for a fact he’s got plenty of offers so he doesn’t need to settle for some wank to get his jollies.”

“Oh my God,” Buffy muttered. “Only you would be asking Superman if he has sex and wanks.”

“I’m not asking him if he wanks.”

“What is wank?” Superman asked.

“Jerking off,” Spike told him. “self-pleasure, choking the chicken, masturbation-“

“Thank you for every euphemism known to man on that too,” Buffy drawled.

“Well, there are a few more.”

“Of course there is. Spare us please!”

“So how bout it, Supes? You have a girlfriend?”

“That’s personal,” Superman told him diplomatically.

“Humor me.”

“I’d rather not.”

“So by not telling me I can only infer that you do have one. Who is she?”

“I didn’t say I had one. It’s. . . complicated.”

Spike rolled his eyes and looked at Buffy who had walked away from them to chat with Willow. “Yeah, I know all about complicated.”

“You love her,” Superman observed, “You love her a lot.”

Spike nodded, still watching Buffy. “I do. So listen…”

“Yes?”

Looking at Superman, Spike took an unneeded breath. “You’re stronger than me, you also are everything good wrapped up in one tight little package that would probably cause my brain to implode if I laid a hand on you, but I want you to know – Buffy’s mine. You can work with her – with us -- but she’s my girl and I’d really appreciate it if you kept away from her in a romantic way.”

Superman smiled, “Spike. I like Buffy, I think she’s an amazing woman, but I have no interest in her in that way.”

“Thank you.”

“If I may be frank?”

“Shoot.”

“I think she cares for you as well.”

Spike snorted, “You don’t know Buffy that well.”

“No, you’re right, I don’t. However, I have watched the two of you interact and I see a connection there. She might fight it, but it’s there.”

Spike allowed himself a moment of weakness, “You think so? Really?”

“I really think so.”

“Can you give me a specific time—no, screw it. Start going into that territory and we might as well have a sleepover and paint each other’s nails while we gossip. Just want to say thanks then.”

Superman nodded and smiled, “You’re welcome.”

“Maybe one day I could return the favor.”

Superman just laughed. “Maybe.”
Six by Brat
Clark sat at his desk, scouring the net for information on vampires and Lex Luthor. He was hoping someone had a sighting of the elusive man. Somewhere close to Sunnydale that would help in their search, preferably.

He had the utmost faith in the “Scoobies” to find out what they needed to figure out how the vampires were becoming day walkers instead of just night walkers, but he was finding himself restless.

Gazing across the Daily Planet, he found the focus of his restlessness. Lois was pacing in Perry White’s office. She was a woman on a mission about the vampires. He found it absolutely amazing. Lois Lane was not worried for her life, no, the woman had enough harrowing close-calls to consider her nine lives being up, but she was a reporter first and foremost. While Perry wanted Superman coverage, Lois wanted vampire coverage. She was afraid; he knew – mainly because he heard her – that Perry was going to give him the vampire story. He hoped that Perry would. Anything to keep her safe and anything to keep their son safe too.

“But, Perry! He’s been seen in Sunnydale, California. If I go to Sunnydale, I can cover my story and him at the same time,” Lois exclaimed, nearly whining.

That made Clark jump in his seat. He’d been spotted in Sunnydale? After all the work he’d done to keep that secret, and he was still caught. Damn! And leave it to Lois to be the one to have figured it out too. How did she do that?

“Fine. You want to cover Superman and what he’s doing in Sunnydale? Then go. Go and take Kent with you,” Perry said. Pointing his finger at her, he laid down the law: “And you better have yourself another Pulitzer on your hands when you get back, you get me?”

“Thank you, Chief,” Lois breathed with relief. “Let me just call Richard so we can make arrangements with Jason—“

“He’s not going,” Perry stated matter-of-factly. “Only you and Kent. My two best reporters. Got it?”

Lois nodded, though Clark could see the hesitation now. He had to hand it to her. When she was Lois Lane the reporter, she was fearless, but when it came to Jason, their son, she was prone to worry and quite protective. She was gnawing on her bottom lip and he wanted to rush to comfort her and assure her that Jason would be fine with Richard, and it’d be much safer in Metropolis than it was in Sunnydale.

“Don’t worry so much Lane. I can take care of him too,” Perry assured her, taking on a gentler tone. “He is partly my blood too.”

Lois and Clark winced at that.

“Thanks, Chief,” Lois said, somewhat nervously.

“Call Kent in here would you?”

“Sure thing Chief.”

Clark sighed. Showtime.

********


“Having him around during patrol is sure helpful,” Buffy was telling Spike as she watched him putter around his crypt. She was currently sitting on a tomb, swinging her legs back and forth with a big, dreamy smile on her face. “I mean that flying thing really helps me get to them a lot quicker. Saves on the energy it takes to get across a cemetery to save a victim—“

“You complaining about doing your sacred duty?” Spike asked, stopping and quirking a brow.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “When do I not complain about that?”

Spike laughed, “Got a point there luv. Though I see you enjoy it sometimes.”

She shrugged, “I do. Sometimes.”

“Which part is your favorite? The hunt? The kill itself?” Spike asked, stalking towards her, leering.

Buffy had to smile. Leave it to Spike to get excited over talking about ‘hunting’ and ‘killing’. “Hmmm,” she murmured thoughtfully, rolling her eyes upwards before answering. “I like the feeling of knowing that I saved a life, or several lives.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Oh please.”

“What?” Buffy asked defensively.

“You telling me you don’t enjoy the hunt? Or the kill? You enjoy it just as much as I – well, you know. That very PC answer was all because of the big blue boy scout.”

Buffy blinked. “The big blue boy scout? Did you just call Superman the—“

“Yes, I did!” Spike exclaimed. “I dared be derogatory toward Mr. Perfect. You know, he really does have lifts on those boots of his. And what grown man has an outfit like that?”

“That’s rich coming from you,” Buffy retorted. “Like the black on black isn’t your costume. I think color is your kryptonite.”

Spike waved a hand dismissively. “I can wear color. I’m just not going to wear spandex for Christ’s sake.”

“Why not? You could wear an all black spandex suit and have a big red S for Spike. Even a red cape, just like Superman’s. Your clothes now are practically welded onto you now, what would be the difference?”

Spike leered at her, “Checking me out, luv?”

She snorted, “Hardly. It’s kind of hard not to notice how tight your clothes are. I’d think they were cutting off your circulation if you weren’t already dead and didn’t have to worry about such things.”

“It’s okay, luv, you can admit you check me out.”

“Here we go with this again. No, Spike, I admit nothing.”

Spike shrugged, “Suit yourself.”

“You should let him take you up, it’s really cool—“

“All right, that’s it!” Spike exclaimed. “If all you’re going to do is prattle on about bloody Superman, then get out. You’re giving me a bleedin’ headache. I’ve heard beat all about him for a week now. I’m tired of it.”

Scowling, Buffy jumped down from the tomb and marched across the crypt towards the exit/entrance.

“Buffy—“ Spike said, and it sounded like regret in his voice.

“Goodbye Spike! See you later!” Buffy yelled to him and continued on. “Stupid vampire,” Buffy muttered to herself as she stalked across the cemetery. “Great, now what am I going to do?” Stopping, she considered just going back to Spike’s and ceasing with the Superman talk. “Nope, not going to give him that satisfaction. So, I’ll . . . look for Luthor.”

********


“My God, this place is hot! It’s hotter than hell,” Lois muttered as she dumped her suitcase on the bed. “Welcome to Sunnydale Inn. We definitely need the AC.”

Clark hid a grin as he settled his things down on his own bed, just a few feet from Lois’ bed. He was thinking of how Spike always called Sunnydale, Sunnyhell. Lois had hit the nail on the head it would seem. He cleared his throat as he watched her lean over the AC in the window, fiddling with it. Even though he was “not one of them”, he was still a man with needs, wants and desires, and looking at Lois bent over with her skirt accentuating her rounded bottom, had Clark reeling. How in the hell was he going to spend however long it took to get this “Pulizter” done without a)letting her know who he really was and b) tackling her in his bed to relive the time they conceived Jason? This arrangement was bound to test his restraint and his ability to play both men with a select crowd that would pick up on his absences as Clark quicker than ever before. That Buffy and Spike were smart as whips; his fear lay with them more than Lois. However, now. . .

“Okay, got it,” Lois said and straightened. “Okay, first things first, I call home and check on Jason. Second, we find Buffy Summers.”

Clark nearly choked, “What? Who is that?”

“The blond Superman has been seen with. When I saw the pictures of him in Sunnydale, I cross referenced the picture of her with the Sunnydale High yearbook for the past five years. Miss Summers was the woman he was with and I, for one, plan to find out why.”

Clark gulped as Lois headed for the phone. Oh boy.
Seven by Brat
“1630 Revello Drive,” Lois murmured as Clark pulled onto Revello Drive. He was gripping the steering wheel, making sure to keep himself in check and his eyes kept darting the rental car’s clock. It was nine. Superman would be meeting Spike, Buffy and the Scoobies right about now. So, maybe they wouldn’t be there at her home—

“And what’s odd about these pictures,” Lois continued on, “Is that they’re all taken in the cemetery.”

Oh boy.

“How did you come across those pictures anyway?” Clark asked.

Lois grinned sheepishly, “I have my ways.”

Clark raised a brow. “Care to share at all?”

“Not really,” Lois said and glanced out the window. “Ooh, Clark, stop, it’s right there.”

Clark slammed on the brakes in front of the brown split level, causing them both to lurch forward into the dash.

“Clark, I’d prefer not to have to go home due to a concussion,” Lois admonished him.

“Sorry, Lois.”

“Just. . . park.”

Parking the car in front of Buffy’s house, he surveyed the house. Lights were on. Just wonderful.

Heading up to the door with Lois leading the way, naturally, Clark held his breath.

“She’s twenty –one. What could Superman possibly see in her?” Lois muttered as she rang the doorbell.

“What’s that, Lois?” Clark asked, his heart lurching in joy at Lois’ obvious jealousy. She had to still love him after all!

“Nothing,” Lois said, shaking her head, just as Anya flung the door open.

This should be good, Clark thought.

Anya stared at them. “Buffy! I think the Jehovah Witness’ are at your door!” she finally called over her shoulder.

Buffy came storming over, “What?”

Lois smiled tightly, “We’re not the Jehovah Witness. We’re reporters.”

Buffy gave her a funny look. “Reporters. What do you want with me?”

“That all depends,” Lois said smoothly.

“On?” Buffy prompted.

“What you’re doing with Superman.”

********


“I’m not doing anything with him,” Buffy replied quickly. She stared at the brunette before her. She was pretty; beautiful even, her wavy chestnut hair that matched her chestnut eyes perfectly. Her gaze drifted to the man next to her, standing tall and somewhat awkwardly. He had dark brown hair that fell a bit in front of his piercing blue eyes that were hid behind his big glasses. Buffy found herself staring at his eyes, mesmerized by them. There was something quite familiar about them.

She blushed when she realized what was so familiar about them – they were quite similar to Spike’s. Although Spike’s were more crystal blue, and this man’s eyes was more of a deep ocean blue.

Okay, maybe she checked him out a little if she could even describe his eye color in detail. Simply sad.

“I saw your picture with him, Miss Summers.”

“Y-you did?”

“I did. I just want to know why.”

Buffy narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms, “Who are you?”

“Lois Lane from the Daily Planet, and this is Clark Kent.”

Buffy’s eyes bugged, “You’re Lois Lane?”

Lois narrowed her eyes this time, “Yes. You know me?”

“Well. . . . not really.”

“Seems like you do with the reaction you just had.”

“I don’t,” Buffy said forcefully. “I just heard about your attack.”

Lois studied her. “How?”

“I uh, read it online and . . . and I was attacked not too long ago. So that’s probably what you saw. Me being saved by Superman from a big, bad vampire.”

Clark had to stifle a laugh. Spike was right; Buffy was horrible at lying.

“So you read my article on the attack?”

Buffy nodded. “I did. I wanted to . . . relate to someone, you know? Superman had mentioned in passing that I wasn’t the only one.”

“Oh, he had had he?”

Buffy swallowed, “That’s right. So I looked it up. Found you and . . . I wasn’t alone.”

“What do we have here?”

Clark froze. Spike. Turning, he found, sure enough, Spike coming up the walkway. He eyed Lois and then Clark. “What’s this about? Jehovah Witness?”

“Spike, this is Lois Lane and Clark Kent. From the Daily Planet. You remember how we read that article after I was attacked?” Buffy informed him.

Spike cleared his throat, “That right? Right! I mean, yes, I remember that. What are you doing here in Sunnyhell?”

Lois smirked, “Sunnyhell?”

Spike grinned, unrepentantly. “Well. . . yeah. Surely, you must have figured that out by now.”

Lois chuckled, “I have, actually.”

Spike smiled at her and held out his hand. “Welcome to Sunnyhell. What can we do for you?”

“I’m here to find out about why Superman has been seen hanging around Sunnydale and Miss Summers. She says that she was attacked by a vampire, same as I was. Though, I’ve seen quite a few pictures of Miss Summers with Superman. They all could not have been during the same night, and not all during your, ahem, rescue.”

Clark was cringing. How he managed to ever forget that Lois was a regular Jessica Fletcher, always seemed to escape him. She picked up on everything!

“Well, see, we’ve sort of started a, uh. . . group,” Buffy said.

Lois was not amused, that much was clear. “Oh? What kind of group?”

Buffy winced and looked at Spike pleadingly.

“Well, you see Lois, my girlfriend means the world to me,” Spike drawled and stepped up on the porch, drawing an arm around Buffy’s shoulders. “And I’m willing to do anything to make sure my girl here is never hurt again—“

“Or anyone else in this town,” Buffy chirped.

“Right. So, we’ve formed a group to fight vampires.”

Lois stared at them. “You’ve started a group to fight vampires.”

Spike smirked and waved a finger at her, “Now Miss Lane. If I didn’t know better, I’d say you didn’t believe me.”

Lois cleared her throat and crossed her arms. “What is this group called?”

“Slayer.”

Lois snorted, “Of course it is.”

“Hey!” Buffy said indignantly. “There is nothing wrong with that title, you know. It’s strong and incredibly old, handed down from generation after generation of—“ Off Lois’ raised brow, Buffy finished weakly, “Other groups that . . . slayed vampires.”

Spike pressed a kiss to her temple, chuckling. “So you don’t mind my calling you Slayer anymore then?”

Clark grinned inwardly. Spike was going to get it later when they were alone. Buffy didn’t let Spike get away with much, and this – him calling Buffy his girlfriend and now with the PDA – yep, Spike was going to get a tongue lashing. Or a beating.

“Are you pulling my leg with this?” Lois demanded.

Buffy shook her head, “No.”

Sighing, Lois nodded, “All right. Do you mind if I interview you then?”

Buffy bit her lip. “Yes. It’s secret.”

“Secret? Why?”

“Because can you imagine the trouble we’d get into with the vampire community if they read we were on the case to find out why they could now walk in the daylight? If they knew we were out to obliterate them? It’d put us in danger along with our loved ones. If you don’t mind, we’d prefer you kept us out of it.”

Lois seemed to be processing what she was told. “All right. How about this? If you let me at least stay and help solve the case with you, I won’t breathe a word as to who you are. Just let me write some kind of story – withholding names and location of course. I just. . . I just really want to help. I think the people deserve to know what they’re up against. Do you consider yourselves to be vampire experts?”

Buffy and Spike exchanged grins. “You could say that,” Spike said softly.

“Do we have a deal?”

Buffy looked down at her. “No names?”

“No names.”

“No location?”

“No location.”

“No getting involved? Just observing?”

“Just observing.”

Buffy jutted out her hand. “Fine. You can stay.”

Shaking their deal, Clark sighed heavily and caught Spike eyeing him with interest. Oh yes, this was going to be fun indeed.
Eight by Brat
“Buffster, not that I don’t trust your judgment thoroughly—“ Xander started, and then stopped off Buffy’s look. “Okay, there was that one time . . . but here’s the thing. How can you be sure to trust these reporters? And why are you letting them go on patrol with us?”

Buffy smiled, “I have perfect faith that the both of them will run screaming in terror, and go back to Metropolis by morning.”

“So you’re betting on the fact that fear for their lives will cause them to not finish out their stay.”

“Right,” Buffy said, putting plates in the dishwasher from dinner. Clark and Lois, along with the rest of the Scooby gang were in the living room, getting acquainted.

“I don’t know. That Lois Lane? She’s pretty fearless. Have you read what that woman has done and witnessed firsthand? She’s a regular daredevil, and all in the name of – what?”

“You’ve been studying Lois Lane?”

“Well. . . yeah. She wrote a lot about Superman.”

“Oh my God. You have a crush on Lois Lane. And possibly Superman.”

Xander glared at her. “No, I do not have a crush on Superman. That’s my girlfriend who does remember? And I don’t . . . okay, maybe a slight crush on Lois Lane.”

“I have to ask,” Buffy said, leaning against the corner. “Is it the girl power thing? Do you like the idea of a woman being able to kick your ass?”

Xander nodded slowly, thoughtfully. “I really think it’s a throwback to Wonder Woman. I used to watch it when I was a kid and no woman has ever lived up to that ideal until, well, you.”

“I doubt Wonder Woman ever got vampire dust and demon goo on her though. That kind of takes away from the sexiness of it all, don’t you think?”

Xander shook his head, “Nah. In a sick, twisted way, it just adds to it. Kind of like seeing a woman in a football jersey changing your oil.”

“You are strange man, Xander Harris.”

“I try,” he shrugged.

“Are we going to be leaving soon?” Lois’ impatient voice questioned loudly.

Buffy glared at the doorway and then turned to Xander. “I might have to kick her ass. How does that Clark guy put up with it? He’s so. . . “

“Mild mannered.”

“Yeah, and she’s so. . . “

“Intrepid.”

“Exactly.”

Xander slung an arm about Buffy’s shoulders as they walked out to the living room. “Opposites attract, my friend.”

“Guess so.”

********


“So about when does Superman show up?” Lois asked as they started out for Restfield to do a sweep.

Buffy was praying a herd of vamps came out to frighten Miss Lois away. “I never said he was regular,” Buffy answered.

“But he does help.”

“He does what he can,” Spike supplied smoothly.

Lois laughed, “Oh, I’m sure he does.”

Looking over at Clark who was walking with his head down, Buffy studied him. The poor guy; he must hate being stuck on assignment with Lois Lane. When he nearly walked into a gravestone, she wondered if the feeling was mutual on Lois’ side. Though, it was kind of cute; Clark himself was kind of cute. In a bumbling, dorky sort of way. Whatever he was though, she felt sorry for him. He was clearly not happy about this turn of events, and she had to admit, neither was she. She should have just told Lois to pack up and go. But, she’d had a funny feeling that Lois was not the type to take kindly to that. She’d more than likely follow them quietly, and somehow end up getting into more trouble that way.

And the lie. What a lie it was. Looking over at Spike, her new doting boyfriend, she sighed. She could save the world from ending, but she fell short on telling a simple, white lie. Or figuring her personal life out.

How did that happen?

Spike grinned at her, a Cheshire cat grin and she rolled her eyes.

“Where is he?” Anya whined. “I did my hair and everything. I even got new highlights! Do you know how much highlights cost these days?”

Lois stopped abruptly. “Are you talking about Superman?”

Anya grinned. “Yes, I am.”

“Who are you to him?”

Anya opened her mouth to answer, but Buffy beat her to it. “Stalker. She’s his stalker.”

Lois snorted. “Get in line, honey.”

“Actually, Anya, Lois is the perfect person to ask regarding Superman. She’s written many articles on him,” Xander said helpfully.

“Yes, the most famous being ‘I Spent the Night with Superman,’” Lois told the ex-demon, a hint of a challenge in her tone.

“Really? But you won the Pulitzer for ‘Why the World Doesn’t Need Superman’,” Xander said, confused.

Lois turned on heel, “Yeah, a brilliant moment in my life,” she muttered.

“Sounds like someone has regrets,” Spike mused. Buffy nudged him and he had the audacity to look innocent.

Lois said nothing, but caught up with Clark. “You all right Clark?”

“Hmmm? Oh yes, Lois, I’m fine.”

“You’re not scared or anything are you?”

“Scared? Of a vampire possibly taking a chunk out of my throat and draining me dry? No, I’m not scared at all.”

Lois blinked. “Clark, was that sarcasm?”

Clark grinned, “Maybe a little. Sorry, Lois.”

Lois shook her head, “No, don’t be sorry. Just took me by surprise is all.”

Clark nodded, still grinning. He was beginning to think that Spike was having an influence on him. He groaned inwardly when he looked up and saw that gaggle of vampires Buffy had been looking for.

********


“Great.”

“Good job, Spike.”

“Well done, Spike.”

“What exactly were you thinking when you decided to go into game face?” Buffy asked as they all stood over Lois’ motionless body in Spike’s crypt.

“Hey, you told her not to get involved. She got involved,” Spike pointed out.

“But you were still in game face,” Buffy retorted. “That’s what sent her over the edge. If she hadn’t gotten an eyeful of you all with the bumpies, snarling at her, she wouldn’t have passed out.”

Clark looked up at them all, hovering above Lois’s lifeless body as he held her head in his lap. “Maybe we should move this someplace safer for her?”

“Good idea,” Willow offered.

“I got her,” Clark said when Spike made a move to help carry Lois.

“Let’s take her to my crypt. Not far from here.”

Clark nodded and lifted Lois effortlessly into his arms.

Silently, they made their way to Spike’s crypt where Spike motioned for Clark to lay her out on his couch until she awoke. Clark spread her out and knelt by her, stroking her brow.

“They were bruising the leather,” Spike muttered.

“What?” Xander prompted.

“They were bruising the leather!”

Buffy shook her head. “Of course.”

“Hey, I didn’t appreciate you getting tossed around like a rag doll either,” Spike informed her.

“So, what was it that sent you over the edge, Spike? Me or the leather?” Buffy challenged him, hands on hips.

He looked at her incredulously. “What do you think?”

“Right. The leather.”

“No! Not the leather, not the bloody leather—“

“Guys, shut up, she’s waking up,” Willow admonished them.

All eyes were trained on Lois as she slowly came to and then sat up, screaming.

“Lois, you’re all right,” Clark said reassuringly. “We’re safe. You’re safe.”

Lois was taking in her surroundings, wide-eyed. “Where are we?”

“My crypt,” Spike told her casually.

Lois gulped. “Did you say…crypt?”

“Yeah, my crypt. It’s where I live. It’s really not bad; I’ve fixed it up with all the things I’ve nicked. It’s quite posh when you get past, you know, the tombs.”

Lois looked up Buffy and Spike. “What the hell is going on? I mean really going on?” she demanded.
Nine by Brat
“Don’t give me any crap about a club either,” Lois said as she sat up on Spike’s couch. Her eyes fell on Buffy. “The way you were fighting, there is no way some vampire could have attacked you and gotten away.”

“Training?” Buffy offered.

Lois shook her head. “Just tell me.”

“I can’t,” Buffy told her simply. “I just can’t.”

“You’re a vampire!” Lois exclaimed, pointing at Spike. “How is it you’re not. . . eating us all?”

“Long story,” Spike said with a roll of his eyes. “Short, abbreviated version?”

Lois shrugged wearily, “Sure, whatever.”

“Right then. How it goes is, I got a chip in my brain from a government agency bent on controlling the demon population—“

There’s a government agency that knows all about demons?

“You find that surprising? Bush is President for Christ’s sakes.”

Lois shook her head and Clark chuckled.

“Please, continue,” Lois asked him.

“Right, so got this chip in my noggin that keeps me from attacking humans. Demons on the other hand are fair play.”

“So you fight demons with Buffy?”

Spike sighed, “Yeah. Yeah I do.”

“Why? Isn’t that against everything you stand for?”

Spike didn’t reply.

“You rendered him speechless. I might actually start to like you,” Buffy said, looking from Lois to Spike.

“Well, you see, Lois,” Willow started tentatively, ignoring both Buffy and Spike’s glare, “Spike kind of really likes Buffy.”

“Really likes her? What is this high school? Is he in love with her? Is that what you’re trying to say?”

Willow nodded sheepishly.

“A vampire is in love with a – a – “

“Slayer, okay? I’m the Slayer,” Buffy said, annoyed. “Do you want the short abbreviated version of my story too?”

“I’ve heard of you—“

Buffy threw up her hands. “Why am I not surprised? Who hasn’t heard of me? God! So much for keeping it a flippin’ secret.”

“Well, I haven’t heard of you specifically. But when you do research on vampires, you come across stories – more myths—of the Slayer. You’re the Slayer?”

“Yes, I’m the Slayer. That mythical woman you read about.”

“One girl—“ Lois started.

“In all the world,” everyone, sans Lois and Clark, finished.

“How? I mean – how does it happen?”

“One Slayer dies and the next is called. One day you’re a normal girl living your normal life, and then the next, your job is to save the world and everyone in it.”

Clark gazed up at her in admiration. He felt a pull to her that he hadn’t quite felt before, mainly because he hadn’t let himself get too involved with them. He felt for Buffy now, felt her plight and understood it.

For he felt the exact same way.

The only difference between them was that Superman didn’t have friends; he had no one but his mother. Sure he had a son and on some level, Lois, but they didn’t know who he truly was, and he wasn’t sure if he could ever tell them. He made a mental note to find a time to discuss with her how she told her friends. Maybe it’d help him figure out a way to tell Lois. There were many connections to be made between them and he was reminded that even though he wasn’t one of them, it was partly his own doing that made him that way. Connections could be made – Jason was proof of that, and Buffy with all her friends and the vampire who loved her standing behind her, was also proof of that.

“What exactly kind of powers do you have?” Lois asked quietly.

“This is not an interview Miss Lane. I cannot let the world know who I am. It puts everyone I come in contact with in danger. The Slayer is supposed to be just what you said – myth. My powers aren’t glorified like Superman’s, and I don’t often get glory for what I do.”

“Hell, you don’t even get paid,” Anya added.

“Why do you do it?” Clark asked. It was the first words he’d spoken all night, and it was with no big surprise that they all looked at him in surprise. No doubt they thought him a mute.

“Destiny,” Buffy replied simply. “It’s my calling. I was the next in line, and it’s not like I can take a pass.”

“You’ve. . . saved the world?” Clark asked again.

“A couple apocalypses here and there, yeah, I’ve saved the world. But the ones behind me – they’ve helped too.”

“They don’t have your power. . . “Lois said in awe. “Well, except for maybe Spike. What kind of power is it?”

“I can’t fly like Superman, and well, I can’t do a lot that he can do, but I am strong, very strong, agile, and quick on my feet. I know how to fight and stake a vampire with the greatest of ease, I can run fast – again, not as fast as Superman – and I have sort of ‘super’ hearing, and when a vampire is close, I can feel them.”

“What you did tonight, Buffy,” Lois shook her head, the awe evident. “It was—“

“Amazing,” Clark finished.

Lois looked at Clark and nodded in agreement. “Yes, amazing. Don’t take this the wrong way but you’re so tiny! It’s hard to imagine that much power in one girl.”

Buffy was blushing profusely now. She wasn’t used to the attention and Clark smiled. He had never been used to it either; he just did what he had to do. He was never one to stick around long after helping out. He watched with a wide smile as she turned to Spike for help and probably didn’t even realize she’d done so, so instinctively. Spike smiled and wrapped an arm about her. “It’s okay luv,” he heard the vampire mutter.

Lois stood. “I want to help,” she declared. “I won’t say a word about you, Buffy. I’ll keep it the way we originally planned. A group formed out of an almost tragedy that slays and studies vampires. All I ask is that I help.”

“Lois?” Clark said, clearing his throat. “You sure about this?”

Lois nodded. “Some help the world by fighting evil; I help by writing about it and bringing information to the people. Well, I want a piece of what the other half does – all the superhero’s we know about and don’t know about. You’re an inspiration, Buffy.”

“Thank you,” Buffy murmured, ducking her head.

“So, what have we come up with so far?”

Xander sighed and wrapped an arm about Lois, causing Clark to raise a brow. “Well, Lois,” the young man said, “We have jack in the way of squat right now.”

“Well, Spike picked up on Luthor’s cologne the other night in the warehouse,” Buffy supplied. “We just haven’t found Luthor yet. Though I did a search of every hotel, motel and inn in Sunnydale and came up with nothing.”

“Then maybe he’s staying outside of Sunnydale,” Lois suggested.

“They don’t call you investigative reporter for nothing huh?” Buffy quipped.
Ten by Brat
“Buffy.”

“Yeah, Spike?”

“You do know that it wasn’t the leather that made me snap earlier, right?”

Buffy stopped in front of her house and smiled up at Spike. “I know. Thank you.”

“Pet. . .”

“What? Tell me.”

“I love you—“

Buffy took a deep breath and took a step back.

“Pet, please—“

“It’s not what you think, Spike.”

“What do you mean?”

“Me with the avoiding. It’s not what you think.”

“Then what is it?”

“It’s not because I hate you.”

“It’s not?”

“No. I don’t hate you. I don’t know when I stopped, but I don’t hate you.”

“Buffy am I . . . am I getting my crumb now?” Spike asked hopefully, looking at her with such hopeful intensity, it nearly brought her to her knees. She’d seen that look before, seen it many times before he confessed he was in love with her, and she’d never paid any heed to it – she never cared. Here he was, standing before her, vulnerable and open, hoping to not take a hit, but knowing that with her it was a possibility. He was the amazing one.

“If you consider me not hating you, then yes, you’re getting your crumb,” she told him, not able to give him all that he wanted, but at least part.

“Thank you, Buffy.”

“Slayer, remember?” she said and grinned.

He smiled, “Right. Slayer.”

********


“Have you ever felt completely stupid, Clark?” Lois asked as she sat on her bed in their hotel room, brushing out her wet hair.

Clark cleared his throat, trying not to pay too much attention to the fact that Lois had just taken a shower and was now sitting on her bed in green cotton pajama bottoms and a t-shirt looking so incredibly sexy and approachable. This was the first time since they’d left the group that she’d spoken. She’d been quiet and thoughtful and Clark hadn’t wanted to push her to talk. Lois did everything on a timetable – her timetable.

“Have I felt stupid? You do know who you’re talking to, right?” Clark joked. He sat in the chair at the table in the room, his suit jacket on the back of the chair, his tie undone, and his shirt taken out of the confines of his pants. He’d been waiting patiently for Lois to take her shower and he’d pondered how he was going to present himself to the group, and have it feasible that Clark not be there.

Lois gave him a small smile and shook her head. “Don’t be so hard of yourself, Clark. You’re a fantastic reporter.”

“That means a lot coming from you, Lois.”

“I call ‘em as I see ‘em. I’m not always good at praise. Something I’m trying to get better at since having Jason.”

Clark smiled. “Jason has a good affect on you. You’re a good mom, Lois.”

Lois beamed at him. “Thank you. Sometimes I feel like I’m not. I feel like there’s more I could do for him.”

“Such as?” Clark’s heart was racing. He hated this at times, feeling like a double agent getting the scoop for his altar ego. Since he’d been back, he’d only thought of his own pain and not of Lois’s and what she’d been through when he left. How she’d hurt because of his abrupt departure, how she’d had Jason without him, and how she had to have wondered if it was something she did to make him leave without a goodbye. And how could he hate Richard for being there, then and now? Richard had been there for her, for Jason. Plus, the man had saved his life – and not just because it was the right thing to do, but more than likely he did it for Lois. He was a good man and he’d done nothing wrong except love Lois and be the man that she’d needed when he’d left without saying goodbye. He couldn’t hurt their family, even if it was under false pretenses.

It was too hard to have to say goodbye to you, Lois. I just hope one day I can earn your forgiveness. I’ll take whatever piece of you I can get.

Lois shook her head, “Nothing, nevermind. Just end of the day thoughts. Ever have those? Where you look on your life and wonder about the things you should change?”

Clark nodded, “I do,” he admitted quietly.

“What sorts of things would you do differently?”

Looking up, Clark met Lois’s eyes. “I would tell the people that mattered that I loved them. I wouldn’t keep secrets from them.”

“You keep secrets, Clark?”

He smiled and looked down. “I have some.”

“What kinds of secrets?”

“I can’t tell you, Lois. That’s whey they’re secrets,” he teased.

“Fair enough. Got some secrets of my own. I know how you feel about keeping them from the ones you love. It’s hard. Feels like you’re living a lie.”

“Yes,” Clark whispered. “Lois?”

“Hmm?”

“Why do you feel stupid?”

“Buffy. She’s an amazing woman.”

“She is.”

“And I wouldn’t blame Superman at all if he wanted to be with her.”

Clark stared at her in shock and watched her get up and walk back to the bathroom. That, he had not expected.

When she came back in the room, he couldn’t stop himself from inquiring. “Lois, why do you think he wants to be with Buffy?”

“He’s helping her, isn’t he?”

“He helps a lot of people, Lois.”

“Yes, but he had to have sought her out. I’m rather sure he didn’t just happen to stumble upon the Vampire Slayer.”

“I’m sure it’s about solving the case—“

“And he didn’t show up tonight. Do you know why?”

“No.” But I’m sure you’re gonna tell me.

“Because I’m here.”

“Lois—“

“It makes sense for them to be together. They both fight crime. I get myself into trouble and those two are here to get people like me out of trouble.”

“You’re jumping to conclusions.”

“Why are you defending him?”

“I’m not, I— I’m not.”

Her eyes narrowed, “You’re the one that always rolled your eyes whenever I mentioned Superman.”

“Because I can see you’re upset about it and –“

“Just forget it, Clark. It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter because I have Richard and Superman is no longer of my concern. Right?” she said and violently tossed back her bedcovers.

“Lois—“

Right?

If he wasn’t who he was, he’d be downright afraid of her. “Er, right.”

********


“Hey Buffy?” Spike said thoughtfully as they swung on her porch swing.

“What?”

“Did you notice how Clark didn’t seem at all shocked to find out I was a vampire? He didn’t even bat an eye.”

“He was more concerned about Lois I think.”

“Hmm…maybe. He wasn’t even put off when we went to my crypt. And Superman didn’t show up tonight at all.”

“Maybe he had people to save.”

“He has people to save every night and every day, but he still manages to come out here.”

“Spike, what are you getting at?”

“Not sure yet, luv. Not sure yet, but I’m in the beginning stages of a theory.”

“Well, let me know when you have the complete theory.”

“Trust me Slayer; you’ll be the first to know.”
Eleven by Brat
Kitty flew into the hotel, all a flutter. “Lex, Superman—“

“Has been seen in Sunnydale? I know. I read the paper every day, Kitty. Good to know that you’re so on top of things though.”

Kitty glared at his condescending tone. “What are you doing?” she asked him, watching as he shoved their belongings in suitcases.

“Found us a place to go. The perfect place to go.”

“Where’s that?”

“Sunnydale Inn of course.”

“But Lex, Superman and the Vampire Slayer are probably looking for us!”

“That’s right. They are. But, Superman’s been seen in Sunnydale for just about over a week now Kitty, which means he and the Slayer have more than likely already exhausted every avenue looking for me there, and will now start to turn their search outside Sunnydale. It’s a perfect time for us to go.”

“Are you sure, Lex?”

“Positive. Would I put us in harm’s way?”

Kitty narrowed her eyes. “I don’t know.”

Lex just smiled sweetly, “I have it on the highest authority that we’re safe. I have spies everywhere remember?”

Kitty smiled warily and helped Lex finish packing. It was often amazing to her that he was so arrogantly confident about his plans when they always ended blowing up in his face.

********


“Lois Lane Reporter, you say?” Giles said, sounding slightly bewildered when Buffy brought the brunette over in the morning to meet her Watcher.

Lois stepped forward, smiling and extending her hand. “Nice to meet you, Mr. Giles.”

Giles shook her hand warily, but kept his gaze focused on Buffy. “Reporter, you say?” he repeated.

Buffy nodded. “It’s okay, Giles, really. Trust me.”

“Famous last words as you well know, Buffy.” Smiling at Lois he stepped aside from the door, “Do come in.”

Lois and Buffy breezed past him with Giles frowning down at his Slayer.

“Mr. Giles—“ Lois began.

“Please, just Giles is fine. You’ll make an old man feel older otherwise.”

Lois nodded. “Giles it is then. Listen, Giles, I know you’re afraid that I’m going to go blabbing this story – which would certainly earn me another Pulitzer I’m sure—“

“Yes, that is a concern, and so far, you’re managing to put my mind quite at ease,” Giles said wryly.

“I’m not going to do anything of the sort. I am here to help. I will not uncover Buffy or Spike—“

Giles took off his glasses and started to cleanse them. He shot Buffy a glare when she snickered. “Spike is involved now as well?”

Buffy nodded, “Yep. Clark Kent is with him right now.”

“Clark Kent?”

“Another reporter.”

It was then that Giles felt quite faint.

********


Spike eyed the skittish, bumbling man with casual interest. “So, Clark Kent huh?”

Clark nodded, clearing his throat. He extended his hand. “We haven’t formally met.”

Spikes glanced at his hand and then back up at him. “We met well enough last night.” Eyeing the tall, dark haired man, Spike began to slowly walk around him, studying him. Clark stood stock-still and Spike could sense the nervousness of this man, it was coming off him in waves. Strangely, it wasn’t fear, just pure nervousness.

“You smell familiar,” Spike murmured.

“S-sm-smell?”

“Yes, you smell familiar. Don’t you know vampires have enhanced scent?”

“Well, that’s why I’m here, Mr. Spike—“

“Just Spike.”

“That’s why I’m here Spike, to learn more about vampires.”

“You smell like a mixture of Lois and Superman,” Spike said matter-of-factly, planting himself firmly in front of Clark, watching him closely to gauge his reaction.

Clark’s eyes widened and he cleared his throat again. “Well, I do work with Lois and she is close to Superman, that is, he seems to seek her out a lot.”

“Hmmm . . . ” and Spike began rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

“Spike? May we conduct the interview now?”

Spike grinned, unrepentantly. “Sure. Why not?”

********


“So, you see, Luthor’s involvement hits close to home for me, so I almost feel obligated to help. I feel partly responsible for his being here,” Lois explained to a wary Giles.

“Yes, I see, Miss Lane, but you see my responsibility and concern is with my Slayer.”

Lois sat back on Giles’s couch. “I understand that. You have to believe me, I do not wish to put Buffy or anyone else in jeopardy. I only wish to help.”

“You do know of Tara and Willow, correct?”

Lois nodded. “They’re witches.

“And of Anya, an ex-demon that I’m sure has connections—“

“Giles!” Buffy admonished him.

Lois shook her head, “It’s okay, Buffy. I don’t blame him. Giles, I have a five-year-old son—“

“Is Clark the father?” Buffy blurted out.

Lois shook her head, “No, he’s not. He’s uh, with his father right now. The point is, I have a son that I wouldn’t want to put in harms way for the world, and so I clearly understand where you’re coming from.”

Giles sighed heavily. “All right. Fine. Buffy, what exactly are Clark and Spike doing?”

********


“So, that Lois Lane, she’s a handful, ay?” Spike asked, warming himself up some blood.

“She is. But she’s a great reporter and a really great woman,” Clark replied, watching Spike take a sip of his blood. “So you have to do that because of the chip, right?”

“Right. My grandsire—“

“Grandsire—that’s...” Clark flipped through his notes, “The Poof, right?”

Spike grinned. “Now you’re gettin’ it!”

“Yes, I am humoring you for now Spike as I really don’t believe that’s his real name.”

Spike shrugged.

“So, he has his soul and that’s why he drinks pigs blood.”

“Right.”

“So, are you in love with her?”

Clark blinked. “What?”

“With Lois. You in love with her?”

“No-I’m not—“

“Yes, you are. Think I’m blind? I can tell.”

“How would you be able to tell something like that?”

“My enhanced vampire eyeballs.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“You don’t have to. But you are, right?”

“No, Spike, I’m...Lois is a good friend.”

“It’s because of Superman, innit?”

“Honestly, don’t you think we should get back to the—“

“I’m trying to help you mate!” Spike grinned, chucking him on the arm.

“Yes, well, I’m quite all right when it comes to my love life Spike.”

Sprawling out on his ratty lazy boy, Spike grinned up at him. “Playing second fiddle to Superman I’m sure is right satisfying.”

Clark glared at him. “I do not—“

“Yes, you do.”

”I do not--“

“Yes, you do.”

The sound of the crypt entrance being all but shoved open stopped the go-round they were on.

“The women are here,” Spike drawled.

“Spike, we’re here,” Buffy said a minute later.

“How’d Watcher boy take it?”

“After threatening Lois with Willow, Tara and Anya, he was fine.”

Spike chuckled.

“How’d it go?” Lois asked Clark.

Clark frowned. “Fine. I’m ready to go. You ready to go?”

Lois stared at him, “You all right?”

“Fine,” Clark said stiffly. “I just need some air,” and he walked out.

Lois studied Spike, questioning him.

Spike just smiled sweetly. Shaking her head, Lois followed after Clark.

Sitting down on the arm of the chair, Buffy looked down at Spike. “All right. What’d you to him?”

“Relax, pet. He’s just pissed that I’ve figured it out.”

“Figured what out?”

“Well, for one, his love for Miss Lane.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “Really?”

“Yep.”

“What else?”

“Remember that theory I’ve been working on?”

“Yeah?”

“Well, I’d say it was more than a theory.”

“What is it?”

“Clark Kent and Superman are one and the same.”
Twelve by Brat
Buffy shook her head and snorted. “I don’t think so, Spike.”

“Then you explain to me why he smells like Superman?”

“Because of Lois. He’s around her all the time and she’s around Superman all the time.”

“Buffy, lingering scents I get. I can pick up on lingering scents, but they are just that, lingering.”

“Meaning...?”

“Faint. I can smell Giles on you, but to the core, I smell Buffy.”

“So, what you’re saying is you smell Superman, not faintly, but right there in your face?”

“Exactly. And you should have seen how he squirmed and fidgeted when I was told him I could smell Superman.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “You told him that?”

“Yeah, why not? Wanted to see him squirm. And I did. He was positively fully of nerves pet. It was coming off him in waves.”

Buffy grinned, “That made you feel all manly didn’t it?”

“Of course.”

Buffy laughed. “All right, Sherlock, what else you got as evidence?”

“Well, the sheer size of him. I mean, Clark slouches a bit, but when he stands tall, he’s the same weight and height of Superman. Also, the hair, and of course the same blue eyes. You take those glasses off and you have Superman. Then there’s Lois. She’s practically his press agent, right?”

“Right.”

“I know you’re not blind, Buffy. You noticed Clark and how he was with Lois last night.”

Buffy smiled dreamily. “He was so sweet! All concerned with the holding her close and staying right by her side when she came to. He was a pillar of strength.”

Off Spike’s slight frown, she got serious. “But, that doesn’t mean Clark and Superman are the same person unless—“

“Unless Superman and Lois Lane are having an affair. For her to write as many articles as she does on him, exclusive interviews, they must be close.”

“You might be stretching with that one. Though I won’t argue that Clark seems to really care for Lois.”

“I refer back to the scent. Pet, how old am I?”

“Like over a hundred.”

“Exactly. I’ve killed two Slayers, I’ve survived Angelus and Dru – and a whole bunch of other wack jobs along the way. I’m a master vampire and I’ve had to learn how to survive. And do you know how I’ve had to do that?”

“Why don’t you just tell me Master Spike?”

“Watch it, pet,” Spike grinned, “I might really like that.”

In answer, Buffy rolled her eyes.

“I’ve had to study; observe. I’ve had to learn how to watch others and not just in battle. You learn how to watch everyone and everything. You know that as well as I do, pet. It’s how you’ve made it this far.”

“You know,” Buffy said, actually impressed, “You’re right.”

“That’s a first,” Spike muttered.

“Shut up. But...how is it that I was able to miss it? How is it that we were all able to miss it?”

“Because you’re all infatuated with the blue fairy—“

”Hey!” Buffy poked him. “Stop calling him that.”

“And because,” Spike went on, ignoring her, “Clark fades into the background. He’s easy to overlook. Superman is a large presence and Clark is not. No one really pays attention to Clark, and that was something he overlooked last night when he failed to have a reaction that I’m a vamp, and when he didn’t even bat an eye when I brought him here. Superman has seen my digs.”

“I still say that Clark could have just been concerned about Lois.”

“Do you believe me, pet? Or do you still need proof?”

Buffy groaned, “Oh, I don’t want to know how you’d go about proving it. Let’s say you’re right and Superman and Clark are the same person, and let’s say I believe you.”

“Okay,” Spike said slowly, nodding.

“We can’t uncover his identity, Spike.”

“Did I say we were?”

“I’m just saying...” Buffy said carefully. “There are a lot of people out there that would. For the glory or the pleasure of it, but—“

“Right, so the evil vampire must be one of them right?” Spike said, jumping up from his chair and glaring at Buffy.

“Spike, you have to admit, there has been times in the past when—“

“Right. Did you hear what you just said? The past, Buffy. That was all in the past.”

“And if you got the chip out? Would those things stay still in the past?” she asked softly, looking at the floor.

“How can you ask me that?” Spike nearly roared. “I can do fair damage by manipulating others and ruining their lives that way—I could ruin Clark Kent and Superman and have it not fire anything off in my brain, and do you know why I don’t?”

“Why?” Buffy whispered.

“Because of you, pet. Because I see the good you do and yeah, I don’t have a soul so doing evil is something I can do without guilt, but I don’t because I know you wouldn’t like it. Because I know to you, it’s not something to do, to just hurt people for pleasure. I know right from wrong, Buffy.” He stalked up to her and gripped her arms, leaning into her. “Buffy. . . you’re my soul. You keep me in check. With your heart and your fire...with your life and your passion. It’s the closest to heaven I’ll ever be and I want to grab onto that—you—with both hands and never let go.”

Her eyes were wide with fear and uncertainty. “Spike, I – I can’t be all those things. I’m just me. I’m just Buffy and I’m far from perfect—“

“I never said you were perfect,” he said, smirking. “I’ve seen the best and worst of you and I know with perfect clarity what you are.”

“What’s that?” she whispered fearfully.

“You’re a hell of a woman. You’re the one, Buffy.”

Her shoulders sagged and Spike hauled her out of the chair and into his arms. “I don’t know if I can be the one, Spike. I don’t know that I want to be. That’s so much pressure.”

“It’s not, really. You just keep being who you are.”

“Sometimes I feel like I don’t know who I am!”

“Yes, you do. You’re just afraid to accept all those parts of yourself – daughter, friend, savior, Slayer, woman – it’s all you, Buffy. You have power, yes, but you’re still a woman at the core. Once you learn to accept all that you are, you’ll see how much strength you really do have, you’ll see all that you have to offer – and that you are the one.”

He could feel her heart rate accelerate something fierce and he wondered what that was all about. “Spike?” she said, hesitantly, almost fearfully, looking up at him.

“Yes?” he whispered, looking down at her.

Licking her lips, she leaned up and pressed small kiss to his lips before snuggling back into his arms. “Thank you,” she whispered.

Spike stood there, arms full of his Slayer, completely stunned but thoroughly happy.
Thirteen by Brat
Buffy made her way home at a leisurely pace, a smile playing upon her lips as she thought about all that Spike had said. Of course he would be as intense with caring for her, as he’d been when he was trying to kill her. There really was no halfway with him. He went full steam ahead with whatever mission he was on.



She envied that, she really did. She could get her act together when it came to her job, but she never could when it came to her love life. Especially as of late. Spike had thrown a wrench into things. But then, he always seemed to. She had just gotten to a place where she was fine with the fact that it was her, her job, and her friends. Then Spike came along with the big ‘I love you’, and it’d sent her reeling. Namely because well, he’d tried for so long to kill her, it was hard for her mind to take the leap of Spike trying so hard for so long to kill her, to Spike loving her and protecting her.



How could he really blame her – or anyone for that matter – for being wary of his intentions? She’d been so adamantly against it at first, even if her traitorous mind had pondered the possibility a few times if it’d been Spike instead of Angel who had the soul and met her first. She knew one thing was for sure: She never would have died by the Master. The way Spike ripped apart demons and vamps that dare lay a hand on her, the Master wouldn’t have stood a chance despite how powerful he was.



She wasn’t sure where the switch had happened that she’d started to get over her adamancy that Spike could not and would not love her, to almost accepting it, but keeping at least some of her defenses up – just in case. Sometimes, she even felt as though she were going through the motions of denying and fighting him on it. Of course then Giles would be right there to remind her of all Spike had done in the past – and then of course, he’d turn around and encourage her to patrol with him. Hypocrisy at its best.



Did she want to be with Spike? She didn’t know. All she knew was that she didn’t want to be without him anytime soon. Really, she was taking things in stride and trying her best to figure things out on her own.



“Hello, Buffy.”



Looking up, Buffy found Superman descending to the ground, smiling gently at her.



Clark Kent and Superman are one and the same.



“Hi,” she said as casually as she could. But she couldn’t stop herself from asking, “Where were you last night?”



“I had some problems to attend to.”



“I see,” she said nodding and studying him closely.



“Have you come up with anything?”



“No, “and she felt guilty, as though she were about to be scolded. Spike was right. Superman was a commanding presence.



“I see.”



“Giles has not uncovered anything about what could possibly allow vampires to day walk except for the Gem of Amara, and the Council is even working on it now, which is a feat within itself.”



“Maybe you and I could poke around now?”



“Sure, uh, where do you want to ‘poke’?”



“Back to the warehouse perhaps?”



“Better idea, the Hellmouth. Or the former Hellmouth as the case may be. Something could have turned up there by now, and we didn’t really get to scour the other half the school the last time we were there.”



“Fly there and save time?”



She smiled broadly. “Definitely.”



Chuckling, Superman took flight and Buffy, taking the opportunity of Superman concentrating, turned and studied him. The profile, the hair...she tried to picture him with glasses on and a suit.



That was it. She had an idea. And as soon as they landed, she was going to follow through on that idea.



Hovering above a huge gaping hole in the middle of the burnt high school, Superman and Buffy peered down. Buffy couldn’t tell if it was a safe place to land, and she knew Superman could see that far down, so she put her faith in him. When he started to descend, she held onto him a little tighter. No matter what she’d seen in her short life, and done, this place still creeped her out.



She looked up at Superman and grinned. “Their heating bill must be through the roof,” she quipped and took delight in his laughter.



His eyes, she noted, his eyes were the same blue she’d seen on Clark Kent’s. Once they’d landed and Buffy’s feet hit the ground, she reached up and ruffled Superman’s hair. While Superman stood there in shock, Buffy narrowed her eyes and pictured him in glasses. She gasped. “Spike was right! You’re so Clark Kent!”



Superman continued to stare at her, aghast and frozen.



“That curl really does move,” Buffy continued. “Oh my God. You’re...and – how did you get away from Lois long enough to come find me?”



That’s what you want to know?” he said, trying to fix his hair and glaring at her.



“Oh trust me; I want to know a hell of a lot more, but that Lois is pretty demanding. I can’t imagine her letting Clark – you—out of her sight for very long.” She shooed his hands away and reached up, fixing his hair and twining one strand around her finger to produce the curl.



“She was taking a nap and I left her a note, saying I was going to get lunch in town.”



“How many times do you have to come up with excuses like that?”



“Not often, actually. Usually I just slip out easily. It’s quite easy when there’s a band of people around and no one really pays much attention to you in the first place.”



Buffy wrinkled her nose, “That’s depressing, Clark—Superman—what the hell do I call you?”



Superman smiled. “Call me Clark. That’s the name my earth parents gave me.”



“And Superman is the name Lois gave you.”



“Right.”



“Isn’t it exhausting? Don’t you find it exhausting to keep up both personas?” Buffy asked, sitting down on a slightly charred bench.



Clark sat down across from her on some kind of heap of . . . something she couldn’t make out – and sighed heavily. “Yeah, it can be. It’s hard at times, living a lie.”



“And Superman never lies,” Buffy pointed out.



“Right, and it’s harder when you can’t tell the ones you love and care about, no matter how much you want to.”



“Like Lois, perchance?”



Clark nodded, looking down.



“You do love her.”



“Is it that obvious?”



“Last night when she fainted it was.”



“How did Spike figure it out?”



Buffy relayed all that Spike had told her earlier and Clark started to laugh. “I figured he had an inclination this afternoon. I was quite frustrated, not sure how to get him off it. Actually, I have to say, I was really worried about the both of you figuring it out.”



“Spike is like a dog with a bone, he just keeps going and going and going until you just cave.”



“So then, you’re about to cave?” Clark asked, cocking his head to the side.



“We’re not talking about me,” Buffy grinned. “We’re talking about you. Tell me, Mr. Kent, is there something going on with Lois and Superman? And if there is, how in the freaking hell has she not figured it out yet?”
Fourteen by Brat
Chapter Fourteen



“You’re so smart; you tell me – is there something going on with Superman and Lois or is Clark just carrying a torch for Miss Lane and finds pleasure in rescuing her once in a while?”



“Oh there’s so something going on with you two.”



Superman laughed. “There was. Once upon a time.”



“And what happened?”



“I left for five years.”



“Yeah, and?”



“Well, for one, I never said goodbye, and for two, she moved on.”



Buffy nodded knowingly and took a deep breath. “Yeah, know what that’s like. On both ends actually. To be the one that gets ditched without much of a goodbye and to be the one that’s moved on. I also know what it’s like to see someone you love after an extended separation and find that they’ve moved on. It sucks.”



“To put it mildly, yes, it does…suck.”



“Why didn’t you say goodbye?”



“It was too hard.”



“That’s when you took off to your home planet, right?”



“Right. I figured Lois would . . . I don’t know, I figured she would understand why it was so hard. Our relationship was already precarious.”



“Clark, it doesn’t matter what you thought. Take it from me, don’t make decisions for the ones you love because you think it’s for the best. Let them decide that. Otherwise, they’ll just resent you later on.”



“She does, unfortunately.”



“So, she’s moved on, huh?”



“Yeah, his name is Richard; he works at the Planet with us.”



“Good guy?”



“He helped save my life.”



“Then…yes?”



“Yes, he is. He loves Lois and our son.”



Buffy’s eyes widened as did Clark’s, he jumped up. “Buffy, forget I said that—“



“Oh my God!”



“Buffy—“



“You know, I asked her today if her son was Clark’s.”



“You did, why?”



“I was hoping? I don’t know, the way you were with her last night I thought either you were carrying a torch for her, or you guys were together and she was just a cold fish.”



Superman chuckled. “She comes off being hard as nails, but she’s a real softie inside.”



“So, she treats Clark like crap and you still love her?”



“She doesn’t treat me like crap. . . I mean, it seems like she does, but really, Lois and I have a unique relationship. She sometimes confides in me in the things that bother her and she often listens to my advice. Sometimes it seems as if she’s really just. . . “



“Self-absorbed?”



Superman gave her a stern look. Buffy ignored him and continued.



“Sounds like you have a great relationship, Clark. So, when she’s not confiding you and not bossing you around, what is the relationship like?”



“It’s . . . not.”



“Okay then. So, does Richard know that you’re Jason’s father?”



“No, he doesn’t.”



“Does she have plans to tell him?”



“Not as of yet, no.”



“Don’t you want the right to be a father to him?”



“You’ve been hanging around Lois too much. You’re starting to ask all the hard hitting questions.”



“Clark, they’re really not that hard hitting. They seem like obvious questions to me. You have a son with Lois, she’s with a guy that thinks Jason is his son, and meanwhile she’s still carrying a torch for Superman, and you get to be filler background guy.”



“She’s not carrying a torch—well…maybe. You think so?”



Buffy rolled her eyes. “It’s good to know that men are all the same no matter what planet they’re from, or what powers they have.”



“I mean, I’ve noticed some jealousy when it comes to how she feels about you and I—“


Buffy’s eyes widened once more. “Over me and you?”



“She thinks I’m after you.”



“Wait. Clark or Superman?”



“Superman.”



“Really? She thinks that? Why, uh, why does she think that?” Buffy asked, batting her eyelashes coquettishly and flashing him a bright smile.



“Because of how I’ve been here in Sunnydale and never told her apparently.”



“Oh, yes, that’s right. So. She confided in you last night, huh?”



Superman chuckled, “She did.”



“And she thinks that you and I have a thing . . . that you and I have a thing. . . Oh my God!”



“What?”



“I have an idea.”



“What?”



“So, Superman and Buffy don’t have a thing, but maybe Buffy has a thing for Clark?”



“Excuse me?”



Buffy jumped up excitedly. “It’s perfect! Clark, she doesn’t pay any attention to you and lets her jealousy over Superman possibly having any entanglement with myself or your stalker –“



“Anya?”



“Yeah, Anya. So maybe it’s time that Clark got some attention from Lois Lane. Maybe it’s time she started noticing the mild-mannered, unassuming reporter that is often her confidante hmmm?”



“No, Buffy.”


“Why not?”



“Because then what happens if she did notice me, which she wouldn’t. I invented this persona of the bumbling idiot to hide. To fade into the background so that I wouldn’t be noticed. What happens if she figured it out? Then I’d have to tell her the truth.”



“And that’s bad how?”



“It’s hard, Buffy. She has to share me with the whole world. I’m not ever going to be one of those men like Richard who can come home after a long day at the office and toss the ball around with Jason in the backyard—“



“God, I wouldn’t think so. You’d wail that thing halfway across the Pacific,” Buffy muttered.



“And it could put them in danger if she knew.”



“How? If the only ones that know are you, her and one day Jason, how is anyone gonna know to be able to use that against her? Plus, she said it herself: She’s already practically your press agent so I’m thinking that if someone was out to get her to get to you; they’d have done it by now. I mean, Lex Luthor aside because obviously that guy has it in for anyone who’s crossed him, the fact of the matter is, you’re scared. And, you’re doing that thing where you’re making decisions for her and don’t trust her. You can’t keep it from her forever, Clark. As much as Lois drives me crazy at times, it really sucks when you think you know someone and then lo and behold, you really don’t! Not to mention Jason. I mean…he has your blood, and half of your genes. I can imagine that boy is gonna have some mad power like his old man one day. You might not be able to be the kind of guy that can always be there for his family, but when you are there, it can make all the difference in the world to him; to know that his father loved him and was there a free minute in between saving the world to teach him how not to accidentally crush someone’s head during a high school football game. My dad isn’t around anymore. He’s gone, taken off somewhere and doesn’t give a crap about me. A phone call once in a while would have been great from him. Don’t do that to Jason.”



“Richard is –“



“Richard is not his father. And one day when his big power starts coming out, he’s gonna look to you for help. I imagine, you’re already his hero, along with everyone else in the world. Don’t you want him to be able to connect to someone who understands what it’s like to have these gifts? It’s not all peachy keen to have powers and not be able to share, as you well know. It makes you feel different knowing your job is . . . huge. All I had was my Watcher to talk to about it, and as much as I love Giles, he wasn’t always that helpful and understanding. And what if Richard witnesses his power one day? Isn’t he going to wonder?”



“You’re a smart woman, Buffy Summers,” Clark said, sighing heavily.



“I try.”



“Look, you’ve brought up some great points, but as of right now, I don’t know what I want to do…I just…have to think.”



“I understand. Making big life decisions, especially in matters of the heart is always difficult.”



“And besides, if you wanted to pretend to come onto me, I’m pretty sure Spike would take opposition to that.”



Buffy rolled her eyes. “Oh please. He’d get over it, the big kitty cat that he is.”



“Do you love him, Buffy?”



“Hey now, remember. We’re talking about you, not me.”



Clark grinned, “Listen, I’ve got to get back to Lois. Want a lift?”



She laughed. “I’ve been waiting for you to say that for so long! Nah, I’ll poke around.”



“You sure?”



“Remember, I have averted apocalypses. I think I can handle it.”



Clark grinned. “All right. I’ll see you later.”



“Bye, bye Superman.” Waving to him as he flew off, Buffy grinned. “I can’t wait to tell Spike!”
Fifteen by Brat
Clark hurried back to the hotel so that Lois would be none the wiser for his longer than planned “lunch.” He was surprised and partly worried when he found Lois sitting on the balcony that led to their room and staring off into the parking lot down below. She had a wistful look on her face, almost as if she were remembering a different time.



Whistling, he strolled up, “Hey there Lois. How was your nap?”



She looked up at him. “How was your lunch?”



He grinned, “Always answer a question with a question?”



She smiled and looked back to the parking lot. “Clark?”


“Yeah?”


“If you were...say you had a child, but you didn’t know you had a child until the bomb was one day sort of dropped on you.”



“Okay,” he said slowly, not really sure if he liked where this was going.



“What would you do?”



“I’d . . . “ Do the exact opposite of what I have done so far, which is nothing except nighttime fly-by’s at your house to check up on you and Jason. “I’d try to be there as much as I could, as much as the mother would let me.”



“What if the mother was involved with someone and didn’t know how much the real father should be involved.”



“Well, I’d try to give her time to think it through and just let her know that I’d like to be . . . around.”



Lois’ head shot up, “What did you say?”



“I said I’d want to be around,” he said, his breath catching.



Will we see you? You know...around?” Lois asked hesitantly, hopefully.



Superman smiled, floating above her as their son looked on from his window; the place Superman had just retreated from, having had to see the son he had after Lois told him in a coma that Jason was his. “I’m always around. Goodnight, Lois.”




Lois stared at him and Clark had to wonder if he really wanted her to figure it out, if the idea that she could in fact figure out in time was something he wanted her to do. The last thing he wanted was to make things harder for her. He remembered a time when knowing his secret had been a burden for her, and so he’d erased her memory with a kiss. Then he’d had to endure her giving him the brush off as Clark again, and coming to her as Superman. She still didn’t like sharing him with the world, but she’d started to grow to accept it and understand it was a part of him.



They’d gotten so incredibly close – as Jason was testament to. And then he’d left. He’d left because having to say goodbye to Lois was not something he’d been capable of. He wouldn’t have gone if he had to say goodbye to her. If he’d known though, if he’d known she was pregnant...



Glumly, Lois looked away.



“Lois? Is there something you want to talk about?” he asked.



“You’ll...you’ll think I’m crazy.”



“Well, in all fairness, I already think that, so anything you tell me won’t be that much of a surprise.”



From her profile, he could see her smile. Slowly, she turned and looked back up at him. “You know Clark, you’re a really good guy. Solid. I don’t think I tell you that enough.”



He stared at her, amazed. Didn’t tell him enough? Try hardly. Oh, she was nice enough, but usually she did most of the talking and he the listening. Then she’d be off like shot.



“Th-thanks.”



“I wonder what would have happened if you and I had ever—“ she shook her head and laughed lightly. “Don’t mind me.” She stood. “I think I’m hungry now. Care to join me or do you want to nap?”



He smiled easily, trying not to draw attention to how she’d just stunned him beyond belief. “Uh, sure, I’ll join you.”



Maybe her knowing wouldn’t be so bad after all.



********




“You did what?” Spike demanded Buffy when the group all met later that night at Giles’.



She gave him a funny look, “I went looking at the school…was I not supposed to look at the school?”



“Not alone!”



Buffy rolled her eyes and caught Clark trying to hide a smile out the corner of her eye. Oh, he was going to get it for that!



“Well, Superman was with me for a bit,” she slid in and found Clark’s smile had dropped considerably. Take that!



“Oh, the big blue wonder showed himself, did he? While you were alone?” Spike scowled at Clark, who sat there, eyes wide and innocent. Buffy elbowed him and gave him a warning glare.



“He showed up? Will he be here tonight? Did he say why he wasn’t here last night?” Lois questioned.



Maybe that wasn’t such a good move, , Buffy thought. “He uh, had some issues to attend to. He said ‘Hey’.”



“He said ’Hey’?” Lois said, shocked.



“Well, he never says ‘hey’ now does he?” Buffy backpedaled, “he actually said ‘hello’.”



“So he does know I’m here,” Lois said, giving Clark a pointed look. Clark just sat there, looking like a deer caught in the headlights.



“He did after I told him,” Buffy smiled brilliantly, happy to have remedied that situation. “He was quite concerned about you.”



Lois’ head snapped to her, “He was? What did he say?”



Oh for-- “That. . . he was. . . concerned about you.”



“That’s it?”



“It’d be really cool if our topic of conversation wasn’t always about Superman,” Xander chimed in, clearly done with the current conversation.



“Maybe you come off too clingy and needy,” Anya said matter-of-factly to Lois.



Lois glared at her. “I do not--“



“The last thing she is, is clingy,” Clark blurted out with a snort.



Everyone turned to stare at him. He met Buffy’s eyes and she grinned knowingly.



“I hate to say it, but I have to agree with Xander,” Giles finally joined in. “I’ve met him a few times, and while he’s perfectly respectable, there really is no reason to be obsessing over him when we have other problems to attend to. We haven’t even heard what he and Buffy found today.”



“Well, he actually had to go, but I found something interesting,” Buffy said proudly.



“You should have come to get me,” Spike grumbled.



“It was daylight! Hello – sun, dust – any of that sound familiar? Anyway, I found a circle.”



“Like a magic circle?” Willow asked.



“Yep, just like the ones I’ve seen you make,” Buffy answered.



“Perhaps what we need to do is all go and see if Tara and Willow can sense anything magical afoot,” Giles said.



“We should bring weapons, just in case,” Xander suggested and tore off to Giles’ stash. Opening the chest, he pulled out a battle axe. “Anyone? Anyone? Going once, going twice –“



Spike grabbed it, rolling his eyes.



“Taken by the . . . vampire guy. Okay, we’ve got another one in case someone didn’t want to speak up—“



“I’ll take it!” Anya said, bouncing over. She patted Xander’s arm. “I love you honey. Even if Superman is stronger, taller and can protect me better. You make me laugh.”



Xander shut his eyes, as if praying for strength. “Thanks Ahn. And thanks for letting the whole room know those are my only attributes.”



She patted him again, “You’re welcome.”



“So, what’ll it be, Clark?” Buffy asked, pulling out a crossbow. “How bout this?”



Clark cleared his throat. “Oh, I, well –“



Buffy handed it to him with a bright smile. “Take it. Take it now.”



Clark took it and when he was sure no one was looking, glared at her. Buffy slung an arm around him, though it was quite difficult with his size. “Let’s go fight those baddies.” Sneaking a peak at Lois, she found the woman with an odd expression on her face – jealousy perhaps?



Spike, on the other hand, had jealousy written all over his face.
Sixteen by Brat
“What is that about?” Lois said to Spike, gesturing toward Buffy and Clark who were a few feet ahead of the group. “When did they have a chance to get so chummy?

Spike cracked his neck, jaw clenching. “That’s what I’d like to know myself.”

“Well, aren’t you two together?”

Spike sighed. “Yeah, right. Not for the lack of trying, but no.”

“Why not? You obviously like each other.”

Spike let out a derisive laugh. “You hear that Slayer?” he called out to Buffy, “Lois says we like each other!”

Buffy gave him an odd look, and a crooked smile. “That’s. . . great, Spike.”

“Yeah, and what I can’t figure out is if we like each other so much, why are you giving me the brush off for the nerd?”

Buffy stopped abruptly, and at the same time Lois and Buffy exclaimed, “Hey!”

Spike grinned triumphantly and nodded toward Clark. “So, how’s it feel to have both women defending you? Reckon you must be feeling like the King of the World right now. Got two—“

“All right, that’s it,” Buffy said, marching up to Spike. “Knock it off, Spike. You’re acting like a jerk.”

“Oh, and we don’t want that, do we? Don’t want to be a jerk because of Superman.”

“Okay then,” Buffy said calmly, and hauled off and decked him in the nose.

Growling, Spike swung at her, a move Buffy anticipated, and easily deflected. Angrier now that he’d missed, he lunged and succeeded in hitting her across the face, in which Buffy executed a perfect roundhouse kick, striking him right in the nose again.

“What the hell are they doing?” Lois exclaimed, utterly appalled.

“Oh, this is foreplay,” Anya answered, smiling brightly.

“Yeah, this is like second base to Spike,” Xander drawled.

“Really, it’s just par for the course with them,” Willow said.

“It’s so ridiculous! That’s not how you treat someone you love!” Lois nearly shouted.

Just when Clark was trying to decide if he could in fact sneak off and change to become Superman and break up the fight, Buffy and Spike stopped. Actually, it was Spike that stopped first.

“She’s right, pet,” Spike said, panting and wiping at his nose. “I don’t want to fight you. Not that way. Not anymore.”

“You didn’t seem to take offense to it a minute ago,” Buffy shot back, still in a fighting stance.

“Yeah, and it was wrong of me.”

Buffy dropped her hands, sighed, and stared at him, seeming defeated. “I hit you first. You just retaliated.”

Spike cocked his head to the side, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. “What’s that then? You feeling guilty Slayer?”

Shaking her head to get her hair out of her face, Buffy replied with a haughty, “Maybe. You just . . . “ she gave him a pointed look, “Run off at the mouth when you shouldn’t be.”

“How do you expect me not to?” Spike demanded, “You have done nothing but yammer on about bloody—“

“Spike!” Buffy hissed, “Shut up. We’ll talk later okay?”

Throwing up his hands, Spike said, “Fine” as if it were anything but. Buffy opted to stay with him, and was pleased to find Lois taking the opportunity to rush to Clark.

“Is there something you’re keeping from us that we should know?” Lois asked.

“Nothing at all, just . . .personal stuff between Spike and I,” Buffy told her, glaring daggers at Spike who just shrugged.

The rest of the way was met with silence.

********


Once they finally reached the area that Buffy had been talking about, the group was feeling hot, stuffy, creeped out and slightly dirty.

“Glad I wore sneakers this time,” Lois muttered as they entered the clearing where the circle was.

“You went deep in,” Clark observed, taking it all in.

“How would you know?” Lois asked, confused.

“Well, look how far we’re in now,” Clark said slowly.

Lois gave him an odd look, but said nothing, and Spike snorted. Buffy elbowed him.

“So, you ladies feeling anything of the magic kind?” Xander asked Willow and Tara, rubbing his hands together.

Willow and Tara were now walking the perimeter of the literal circle in the sand at their feet, using their flashlights to trace it.

“We need more light in here,” Willow announced and, taking a deep breath said, “Illuminate!” A soft, glowing light lit up the entire area they were in.

“Wow,” Clark murmured. “I never thought stuff like that was possible.”

“Neither did I,” Lois agreed. “We should have had this on our walk in.”

“I can feel something old here,” Tara murmured. She looked up at Willow, “It feels almost. . . “

“Ancient,” Willow agreed. “But along with that old is something new.”

“Bad old? Bad new?” Buffy prodded.

“Bad old and bad new. Whatever it is that is old, and I’m feeling a definitive presence, is very, very bad. It’s not strong though, if that makes any sense.”

“So, you’re saying that whatever it is that feels like a presence is evil, but that it’s not strong? How is that possible?” Clark asked.

“It’s gaining power. Something can have an evil presence and still be weak.” Willow explained. “Say like... The Hellmouth itself. For all intents and purposes, it’s not longer, but the mark it left behind is still strong. It’s still felt.”

“So how do you know it’s not the Hellmouth you’re feeling?” Lois asked.

“Trust me, I know the difference,” Willow muttered. “You spend a lot of time in this town, and you begin to feel that energy force everywhere you go.”

“Someone has been performing something ancient, or –“ Tara looked around and gasped. She pointed to what appeared to be a bunch of squigglies to everyone else, but apparently meant something to Tara. Looking around the area on the walls, were other symbols. “Someone has been doing some conjuring. Conjuring of the dead. These are ancient ritualistic symbols for raising the dead.”

“So, maybe that’s how they’re day walking? Conjuring life into them?” Xander suggested.

“And where would such a ritual exist and come from?” Lois asked.

“Oh, ancient texts and rituals for raising the dead have been around for years. There’s often a slight variance in the translation, but rituals like that have been passed down for ages, “ Anya explained. “Only the highly magical and in tune, in other words, crazy, were able to perform such spells.”

“Luthor is crazy, but not magical,” Clark muttered.

“Tell me about it,” Lois agreed.

“But that doesn’t mean he couldn’t call on powers or have minions do his dirty work for him,” Willow added.

“Right, so the plan is to look up these ancient rituals – Anya, I will leave that to you since you are still connected to the demon world,” Buffy ordered.

“Did you just say still?” Lois asked, somewhat fearfully.

Anya grinned, “Don’t worry. I wouldn’t sick any of them on you unless you really deserved it.”

“And the rest of us will research rituals that could allow vampires to day walk,” Buffy finished. “Guess we report back to Giles. He’s supposed to have heard from the Council at some point tonight on their findings.”

“Surprising that Superman didn’t show up, again,” Spike said pointedly and glared at Clark, just as the glowing light illuminating the area, dimmed and dissipated.

“And on that, we’ll call it a night!” Buffy said, taking Spike by the arm and dragging him away from the group. And that’s when a group of green antlered demons staged a sneak attack – and one pulled Clark into the dark.
Seventeen by Brat
Buffy was frozen for half a second watching as Clark was taken, and then Lois. More were coming, and Buffy didn’t have time to ponder how Clark was going to get himself out of this one without anyone finding out his identity. She had demon ass to kill and people – people without special powers that could get themselves out of such messes-- to save.

And as expected, Superman made his appearance.

Ripping off one demon’s head with her bare hands, she jumped in the foray with Xander and grabbed his battle axe, slicing off another’s head. She spun to do battle with another, when a clawed hand ripped across her stomach. The sting of the claw cutting across her stomach was hot – so hot steam rose from her body (Giles was going to love researching the side effect of this demon attack); and she felt her bloods warmth immediately rise to the surface.

“Buffy!” Spike shouted, his eyes widening upon seeing her. No sooner had she turned to take out the demon that sliced her, Spike was there, growling ferociously and ripping the demon to shreds—literally. Buffy gaped at the pure animalistic viciousness of him taking out the demon in such a barbaric manner – and all for her. However, she didn’t have time to dwell as a few were coming at Superman who had graciously taken out two of his own demons, thus saving Willow and Tara.

She needed to get to Lois, was her next thought, and it was difficult with the demons around them to go after her. Jumping at the antlered freaks, she smiled sweetly and looked at Superman. “Duck!” And she swung the axe over her head and brought it down clear across, taking all three heads off in a flash.

Superman was already down the hall, following the sound of Lois’ screams and Buffy turned to see who else needed help. Spike was fighting fiercely with one and she bounded up to him and handed him the axe. Happily, he tore the thing in half. Literally.

“Ewww…”Buffy said wrinkling her nose.

“Buffy, are you all right?” Xander asked, coming up to her.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Buffy replied and promptly passed out.

********


When Buffy came to, her eyes opened with a start and she bolted up. “Lois!”

“So maybe I’m not in competition with Superman or Clark or whoever the hell he is. Maybe I’m actually in competition with Lois Lane.”

Buffy whipped her head to the side to see Spike sitting beside her, gauze and antiseptic in hand. She was in his crypt, she noted. Looking down, she found her shirt tore to just under her breasts, and her stomach bandaged up with some blood oozing to the surface. She grimaced. “What happened? Is Lois okay?”

“Buffy, luv, lay down. She’s fine.”

Buffy swallowed and let Spike push her back on his bed. She stared up at the ceiling. “It stung when he clawed me. Is it poisonous?”

“It can be if enough time passes,” Spike told her. “That particular demon’s poison can make your heart shrivel in your chest.”

“Was everyone all right?”

“Everyone is fine, Buffy.” Spike told her, getting up and making his way to his nightstand. Opening a drawer, he shoved the gauze and antiseptic inside. “Willow found a simple antidote to the poison and administered it to you.”

“You’d think if a poison can make your heart shrivel, the antidote wouldn’t be ‘simple’. Giles—“

“Has been made aware.”

“Lois might need—“

“Buffy, she’s fine. Would you stop worrying about everyone else for half a second?” He sat back down and stared down at her.

She looked up at him, “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Why do I have to lie down again?”

He grinned. “I like you lying down on my bed.”

“Spike, honestly,” she said, annoyed, and tried to get up.

“Stay down,” he told her sternly. “I’ve gone through quite a bit of gauze with you missy. You stay down or you’ll just open the wound again.”

“Do I need stitches?” she asked horrified.

“Stitches frighten you?”

“Needles…yeah,” she shrugged. “Do I need them?”

“No, they weren’t as deep as they felt. That was because of the poison.”

She nodded. “Okay.” She stared up at the ceiling for a minute –was it a ceiling? She wasn’t sure. She looked over at Spike who was watching her intently. “Thank you.”

He smiled and took her hand in his. “Don’t have to thank me.”

“You helped me.”

“I’ll always help you.”

She gestured to her stomach, “You put me back together like Humpty Dumpty.”

“I’ll always take care of you, Buffy,” he said softly.

“Still. Thank you.”

Silence then, “But you were kind of a jackass tonight,” she told him.

He sighed, “I was waiting for that.”

“You were?”

“Yeah, I was. Figured you’d ask about Clark and Superman before we got to that first, though.”

“What did happen with that?”

“First, why don’t you tell me – I was right?”

She smiled, “You were right.”

“Can you write that down or something? ‘Spike was right’ and then the date. Just for posterity.”

“Yeah, that might happen.”

“So, does that mean you’re free and clear to pursue the blue Boy Scout?” Spike asked, standing up and moving away from the bed.

She blinked, “What?”

Spike turned. “You were hanging on him all night.”

“I was definitely not hanging on him and –“

“Come to find out Superman made his appearances today while you were alone.”

Buffy sat up gingerly, “That’s what you think? That Clark and I decided to get it on because he showed up during a free minute?”

“Yes.”

She shook her head, “No, that’s not what happened at all.”

“Then perhaps you’d like to enlighten me?”

“We talked about his secret identity and Lois and . . . other stuff.”

Spike raised a brow, “’Other stuff’? It’s the other stuff that I’m worried about.”

“I can’t tell you.”

“Of course you can’t!” Spike said, throwing up his hands in frustration.

“I wasn’t supposed to find out, it’s a big secret, and considering how you acted tonight, I don’t know that I can trust you to keep your big mouth shut!”

“I only acted like that because I thought you were making time with Clark!”

“I wasn’t! I was trying to make Lois jealous.”

“Guess what? You made me jealous instead!”

“Well, I’m sorry. I thought you knew that he was in love with Lois already.”

“I did until I found out that he was with you alone this afternoon.”

“God,” Buffy sputtered, “Would you get off anything going on with me and Superman? Nothing is going on.” Trying to climb carefully out of bed, Buffy winced, and in an instant, Spike was there, helping her, wrapping an arm about her to help her up.

She looked up at him. “Spike.”

He met her gaze in silent question.

“Nothing is going on with me and Clark. I came up with this idea to help him out with Lois. I thought if she could pay some attention to Clark, she could see past the red, yellow and blue and see the man inside. He asked me not to – mainly because he knew you’d get jealous. I figured you’d just get over it—“

“How did you expect me to just get over that, Buffy?” Spike asked hoarsely, pulling her closer and gazing at her searchingly. “How did you think I’d be okay with seeing you act as if you wanted him? You’ve done nothing but go on and on about Superman since he showed up and—“

Buffy pressed a finger to his lips, stopping his tirade. “I thought you’d get over it because I thought you knew that I…”

He leaned closer, prompting her, pleading with her to continue.

“I thought,” she said, drawing a deep breath, “that you knew that …that I feel things for you.”

“Buffy,” he breathed.

“I don’t know what they all are, but I thought that you knew that and—“

Spike took the opportunity to silence her with a kiss.
Eighteen by Brat
Buffy responded to the kiss eagerly, but still a tad hesitant Spike happily noted, and deepened it. He was getting his crumb! He felt like whooping for joy, felt like tearing through the streets of Sunnydale screaming “I got my crumb, I got my crumb!” loud enough to wake the dead and fledglings from their rest. Yes, he was that happy. Sure, she’d said “feelings” and sure it wasn’t the much coveted “love”, but it was something and “something” was what he would take.

Pulling back ever so slightly he inquired, “Am I hurting you?”

She smiled and shook her head, “No. And only you would be worried about that at a moment like this.”

He grinned. “Told you I’d always take care of you, pet. Nearly scared me to my second death when I saw that demon tear into you.”

“How is it that I’m the only one that got hurt by it? I mean, honestly!”

“I reckon cause you were tearing their ugly little heads off. Now, let’s get back to the kissing—“

She laughed and kissed him quickly. She initiated it. She kissed him! Eagerly, he went in for more, only to be stopped by her pushing on him slightly. He looked at her in question.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered, “that I didn’t tell you.”

“Forgiven. But—how did you expect me to know that you felt things for me?”

“Wishful thinking, I guess? That way I wouldn’t have to say it. I’m not good at saying that stuff. You’re much better at it than I am.”

“Except I could probably do without chaining you up, eh?”

“Yeah, that I could have gladly done without.”

“Or threatening to sick Dru on you.”

“That too.”

“And maybe the altar—“

“Spike, shut up. I don’t want to think about that stuff, all right?”

“Right. Sorry. Where do we go from here?”

She blinked and moved out of his arms. “You just cut right to the chase huh?”

He shrugged, “Not known for my patience.”

“Or thinking before you talk.”

“Hey!”

She smiled cheekily at him.

“So?” he pressed, “now what?”

“Now, we . . . I don’t know,” she shrugged. “You tell me.”

********


Clark and Lois entered their hotel room, dirty and full of demon goo.

“Tell me again, what happened to you,” Lois demanded as she pushed gooey strands of hair from her face.

“I told you, a demon grabbed me—“

“I know that. A demon grabbed you and pulled you into some dark corner and then Superman was there to save you, but you were knocked out for a few minutes. Knocked out during the entire battle.”

“Right. See, you actually didn’t need me to tell you,” Clark muttered, gathering his things for a shower. “Do you want the shower first?”

She stared at him hard. He could practically see the wheels turning and he was hoping to distract her. So far, all his efforts had proved futile in that department.

“Lois?”

“And then you came to just after Superman left.”

“Yes. Did you want the shower first?” he asked again.

She kept staring at him, not moving.

“Lois?”

“I never really thought about it until now.”

“Thought about what?” he asked, his heart at a gallop in his chest. Dammit! He didn’t want her to find out this way. He wanted to tell her himself. But he’d panicked when she’d gotten grabbed and the demons had started swarming in. There were humans involved that did not have superhuman powers like Buffy and Spike. There was no way Superman could not make an appearance; he didn’t have time to worry over his identity at that point, not when lives were at stake.

“That you’re never around when he is.”

“Lois, that’s ridiculous.”

“No, it’s not. You always seem to miss him. There’s trouble, you disappear, and he comes in to save the day, and then you come back, saying how you were sorry to have missed him. But then there are times you’ve seemed to know what he’s done even though you weren’t there.”

“Lois, I think you’re reading into things too much. That overactive reporters mind is doing double time--“

“And when did you and Buffy get so chummy?” she went on, ignoring him.

“She s-started talking t-to me.”

“And when I took my nap earlier, you left…” she narrowed her eyes. “You left me a note saying you went out to lunch. And then Superman showed up to see Buffy…”

Oh, crap. “Lois, what are you trying to get at?” he demanded. Best to just get all the cards out on the table even though he had no idea how he was going to get himself out of this one. Another mind swiping kiss? He didn’t think he had it in him this time to do that. No matter how much he was wary of her knowing the truth, especially this way, he also figured if she did figure it out, then he wouldn’t try to erase her memory. Not this time, not with his knowledge of having a son with this woman.

Lois crossed her arms across her chest. “Why don’t you tell me?”

********


Lex walked around his circle, his circle that now had footprints marring the entire area. His eyes narrowed as he took in the sight.

Kitty looked around with an air of indifference. “So, someone was here then.”

He looked up at her, leveling her with his gaze. “Someone? Just someone?” he snapped sarcastically. “A bunch of someone’s were here. Look at my circle!”

“Well, that crap on the walls is still there,” Kitty shrugged.

“Yes, they are, possibly because they’re painted on with paint.”

“They could have painted over it,” Kitty said with a roll of her eyes.

“Yeah, that’s likely to happen.”

“So, now what, boss?” The vampire, Les, asked surveying the room.

“Now we up our progress. Find that dust of the Master and fast. We have to work harder before the Slayer and Superman ruin all my plans.” He walked around the room again, shaking his head. “Thought I couldn’t hate anyone as much as I hated Superman. Turns out I was wrong.”
Nineteen by Brat
Author's Notes:
This chapter has references to Superman II, so if you haven't seen it, then ....I'm sorry?
Clark looked down, feeling very much defeated, at the bed he slept in. It was funny thinking how he felt defeated considering who he was – Superman. He didn’t feel very super at the moment though. He wasn’t sure what frightened him more at this point – Lois knowing his identity because of how precarious that situation could be, or the way she was going to react when she found out.

Taking a deep breath, he looked up at her and found her patiently waiting. Or not so patiently as one foot was tapping on the floor. For once though, she was silently waiting for an answer, not demanding one as he’d often seen her do to others. He wasn’t sure who he was dealing with at the moment – Lois Lane, aggressive reporter, or Lois, the woman. The woman he loved and adored, the woman who bore the only other creature on the planet that he loved with his whole being – his son; their son. He knew that Lois put on brave fronts, but that she felt deeply, and was wounded easier than she let on.

He knew this was the moment; the moment of truth, and nothing could have prepared him for this. He doubted he ever would have been truly ready.

Lifting his hand, he put it on the side of his glasses, and slowly slid them off.

Her impatient look fell away to one of disbelief and hurt. Clark thought that this was the first time he’d ever seen her speechless.

********


Spike leered down at Buffy and wrapped her up in his arms tightly. Growling, he nuzzled his neck. “What do you think I want to happen now?”

Buffy rolled her eyes. Of course, what did she expect really? She’d never met a hornier vampire than Spike. Scratch that, she’d never met a hornier anybody than Spike. Mirror, mirror on the wall. Who’s the horniest of them all?

“Spike.”

In a flash he was up and away from her, hands up. Her eyes widened. That was much too easy, and all she’d said was his name.

He grinned. “I do want that, Buffy, don’t get me wrong. Want to lay you down on my bed and love you all right and proper, but it’s not all I want and it’s not what I want our relationship to be all about.”

She was stunned, and her face must have read that because Spike continued as if to assure her. “Don’t worry, it’s still me. Haven’t been switched or anything of that caliber. Here’s the thing, pet. Before Dru, I was told I was beneath a bitch that in actuality wasn’t fit to lick my boots, and after Dru, I spent over a bloody century being treated like shit and playing second fiddle to he who shall remain nameless. Now I know you’re not carrying any big torch for him – at least you better not be – but the thing is – I know what it’s like to have sex be mistaken for love. I know what it’s like, also, to have lust mistaken for love. I won’t do that. I don’t want to play second fiddle, Buffy. If you’re telling me you want to make a go of us, if you’re willing to give us a try -- me a try – then I’m gonna love you like. . . like no one’s ever loved anyone, cause I gotta tell you, pet. I love you like I’ve never loved anyone. Cecily was nothing as far as I’m concerned, and while I did love Dru once upon a time, I think I loved mostly the idea of her, and the fact that she saved me from the life I was barely leading. She was someone who saw something in me, and I latched onto that. Then of course, it became all bloody competition with Angel…”

“I thought it was ‘he who shall remain nameless’?”

“Funny. So, look. I don’t want you and me to be one above the other pet. I don’t want it to be me vampire, you Slayer and therefore, I have no bloody say –“

“So, how about you man and me woman and therefore you have no say?” Buffy asked, smiling cheekily.

He gave her a look. “I want to be equals, pet. I want us to be partners. I want you to stand by my side, not walk ahead of me or behind me. Though I’m convinced you’ll always walk ahead on account that you’re a white hat and I’m . . . well, I’m not. I want to be part of your life, and I’m not saying that you have to consult me everytime you want to do something, but I . . . I just want to be part of your life, Buffy. I want it to be real. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

She nodded and strolled up to him, running her fingers through his gelled locks. She smiled softly. “Yes. You don’t want to make decisions for me or vice versa, but you want to be able to talk about things. You don’t want me to discard you or for you to discard me because of the lot we have as you vampire and me Slayer. You want me to take you as you are.”

“Yes,” he breathed and gazed at her imploringly, “Do you think we can do that, Buffy? Do you think you can do that?”

********


“How could you…I …” Lois shook her head.

“Lois, believe me, so many times I wanted to tell you—“

“Was that before or after you left for five years? Not only do you leave me without saying goodbye, but then you lie to me!”

“I had to—“

“No, you didn’t have to, actually,” she spat. Her eyes filled with tears and she swiped at them angrily. “You’re supposed to never lie.”

“You knew once and it killed you to know,” Clark said softly.

“What?” she asked, sniffling.

“Niagra Falls—“

Her eyes widened. “Is that why I can never remember what happened on that trip—“ She glared at him. “What did you do to me?”

“I wiped your memory, Lois. I had to. You were in so much pain and it was because of me. Not to mention Zod had used his knowledge of our relationship to hurt you—“

“Someone is always trying to hurt me if you hadn’t noticed Clark. I’m the one that covers Superman, remember? Of course I’m a target. And guess what? It doesn’t seem to matter if I know or not! God, what do I even call you now?”

“Clark, you can call me Clark.”

“Is there anything else you want to tell me, that you could possibly be keeping from me?”

“Yes. I love you, Lois.”
Twenty by Brat
Lois shook her head, “Don’t. Don’t say that to me. Not now.”

“I’m sorry—“

“Or that. Don’t say that either. You’re sorry? Do you think that makes it all just better?”

“I know it doesn’t—“

“Then don’t patronize me by saying you’re sorry!”

“I’m – what can I say?”

“I don’t know that there’s anything you can say,” she said, grabbing some clothes out of her suitcase and stomping off into the bathroom.

Clark stared at the space she’d just evacuated and felt his heart plummet. The Man of Steel could leap tall buildings in a single bound, and was faster than a speeding bullet, but when it came to one woman, he was completely helpless.

He knew there would be some level of hurt if – and that had been a very big IF-- and when she would have found out the truth, but he also thought – perhaps it was just wishful thinking on his part – that there would be some joy in that news too. As in, she could keep easier tabs on “Superman”, she could share his day to day life more, and he could share in hers, there would be no more secrets that “Superman” had to keep from her and it’d be a great cover for him to be able to spend some time with his son. There were perks all around.

But first, they had to get through this part. And, of course, Richard. Well, Richard would only have to be “dealt with” if she didn’t decide she hated him now. Surely she didn’t hate him…

********


Buffy looked up at Spike, studying him thoughtfully. “I want to try.”

“Try,” he said slowly, as if he were trying that word out. “What do you mean by try exactly? I mean, you either think we can do this, or you think we can’t.”

“It doesn’t always have to be black and white, Spike. We live in a gray world. I want to try,” she stepped away from him and began to pace. “You see, you have to understand one thing: For a long time our relationship has been you vampire, me Slayer. It’s been kind of drilled into my head that that was the only way our relationship could be. Especially after all those times you’ve tried to kill me. There’s a part of me that doesn’t trust you still. There’s that Slayer part of me that feels she has to be on guard ‘just in case’. It’s going to take reprogramming on my part. Which, I have to say; you’ve already started on that. I have Giles and my friends who tell me ‘Go patrol Spike. Trust Spike with your life’, and then they can turn around and say ‘Why are you spending so much time with Spike? You can’t trust him, you know’. I mean, I realize that you are not like other vampires Spike. I mean, you never have been. Unlike Ang—he who shall remain nameless, you were in love with someone—“

“Not like I love you, Buffy.”

“Yes, I sort of realize that, but that’s not the point. He who shall remain nameless couldn’t have given two craps about me without a soul, but you . . . you go and . . . you know . . . “

“Fall in love with you?” he supplied, smiling tenderly.

She blushed. “Yes, that, not to mention you fight by my side. But I’m not going to lie to you Spike, part of me still wonders what would happen if you were to get the chip out.”

“Buffy, haven’t we been over this? Didn’t I tell you that you were my soul?”

“Yeah, but . . . do you want me to be honest here? Or do you want me to just keep these thoughts to myself? Isn’t it better to talk about stuff? I hear it is anyway.”

“You’re right, it is.”

“And since I’m not looking to fall flat on my face before we even get anywhere, I want you to know what I’m thinking and feeling so that you don’t have to play guessing games with me. Been there, done that and I’m just so . . . I’m so done with that.”

“Buffy Summers is growing up,” he noted with awe.

She smiled, “Go fig. It took you to bring it out in me. Of all people.”

“Oi, pet, what are you trying to say?”

“I think it goes without saying what I’m trying to say…wait. Did that make sense?”

“I got it just the same. But, pet, don’t you think that the fact that we’re having this discussion, that you’re sharing with me as I am with you means that we’re on the right path? We’ve both been searching for something to make us whole. We’ve been searching for a counterpart that we could be ourselves with and not have to hide. We’ve found that in each other, Buffy. We’re equals. Mates.” He stared at her so intently Buffy started to fidget. “Maybe,” he continued, “I had to become a vampire to meet you. To get to you. The fates kept us apart for one reason or other before – it wasn’t our time yet perhaps. But now is our time.”

Buffy grinned, “Anyone ever tell you what a big softie you can be?”

“You do, all the time.”

“Well, it’s true. It’s . . . sweet. Romantic.”

“Well, I’ve always been a romantic at heart. Just no one ever appreciated it.”

Buffy smiled warmly. “I do.”

********


Lois stormed out of the bathroom after checking to make sure it didn’t look as if she’d been crying. Taking a deep breath and adopting her tough exterior, she looked over at Clark who was sitting in a chair at the table, just staring at his hands. He looked positively forlorn.

Good, she thought. Stew in that for a bit.

“I’m going out,” she announced.

Clark looked up at her, “Where?”

“I don’t know. For a walk. Maybe a bar and get a drink. I don’t have a plan right now. I just know that I want to be alone for a while.”

“Lois, this is Sunnydale, former Hellmouth, remember? I don’t think that’s such a good idea.”

“Well, I’m not asking you if you think it’s a good idea. I’m telling you what I’m doing. I’ll take some of the stakes Buffy gave me with me.”

“Lois—“

“Clark, I’m going. I’ll stay in well-lit places and won’t be going even remotely close to any cemeteries.”

“And what of Lex? What if he sees you?”

“Then we’ll be closer to getting to the bottom of this won’t we?”

Clark stood, “Lois, I’m telling you I don’t feel comfortable with you going alone.”

“I don’t care. I don’t feel comfortable with you having erased my memory or having left without a goodbye for five years, but you still did it. Guess what? I’m still doing this!”

Seeing he was losing this battle, and would lose it short of tying her to a chair to keep her in the room, he acquiesced. “Fine.”

“Thank you. Don’t wait up.” And she was out the door, slamming the door behind her.

Clark waited a nervous five minutes and then followed. If he had to, he’d fly and follow her.
Twenty one by Brat
Lois was barely even paying attention to where she was going. She was focused, mainly, on not letting loose the floodgates. She hated to cry, and it seemed ever since Superman came back around that was all she did.

Scratch that. Ever since Superman’s introduction to her life. She’d become that girly crier she tried so hard not to be. No one paid any attention to a docile female reporter, after all. She was one of the guys; she could bust balls with the best of them, and sometimes even more. She supposed it was somewhere along the lines of the Napoleon complex: Make up in extreme ways for what you lack. Clark, she knew, had harbored a crush on her back when he first arrived at The Daily Planet. It was nice; sweet. Her ball busting was something that goofy Clark actually liked, had been drawn to. And now, in light of what she knew, perhaps it was because he could live vicariously through her while he was Clark instead of strong, untouchable Superman. And Superman…Superman…God, she couldn’t even think of him without getting all wistful and sappy.

She could now add “Annoyed” and “Angry Beyond Belief” to that list.

They were one and the same, and she had to stop comparing and contrasting them. Had to stop thinking of them as two different people. He was the same man. But which part of Superman was Clark, and which part of Clark was Superman? That was a legitimate question right? There had to be a middle ground somewhere with “them”. Of course it was obvious that Clark was a bumbling nerd of Potsie-like proportions so as to hide the fact that Superman was agile, smooth and well, a superhero. She got it. She just didn’t like that he hid from her. They created a son together for crying out loud! How could he not tell her the truth! She needed him to help with Jason, and Jason, Jason who was just discovering that he had some power, needed him.

Looking up, Lois found a sign staring back at her: Willy’s. Great. A seedy bar. Just what she needed.

********


Buffy yawned loudly, unable to keep it in anymore despite the intense conversation she and Spike were having.

“Am I boring you, pet?” Spike asked, cocking his head to the side.

“No, I just think the day is catching up with me. And the night. I suppose I should go home…” Though she really didn’t want to. Her mom was out of town, and had been for a while now, doing some kind of Women’s Empowerment Retreat with some of her friends. She was kind of sad about that, actually. Her mom would have loved to meet Superman.

“That doesn’t sound like you really want to go,” Spike observed, sounding hopeful.

She kicked sheepishly at the floor, her hands twining behind her back in a docile, kittenish manner. She looked down at the floor and then up at him coyly. “I kind of really don’t.”

“Oh?” His voice had a husky timbre to it.

“Well, see, my mom’s been gone for a while and I’m really kind of tired of being alone, especially after what happened tonight. But I could really use a shower to get the goo off me, and I know you have a shower but it’s only cold—“

“Buffy?”

“What? Shut up, right?”

He smiled at how adorable she was. “How about I come with you to your house?” he suggested smoothly. “I’ll sleep on the couch or on the floor in your room. Keep you all safe and sound like.”

She broke into a wide grin. “Really? You’d do that?”

He looked at her incredulously. “After all I’ve said to you about loving you, and you still doubt I would?”

“You have a valid point. I’m just being silly. Yeah, that works. Do you need to pack a few things or anything? Like, oh, that Old Spice body wash?”

He wrinkled his nose in disgust. “I got rid of that, thank you. After you told me I smelled like the bloody Poof, I couldn’t bear to use it anymore.”

“So, what are you using now?”

“Dial soap.”

It was her turn to wrinkle her nose.

“But I purchased Eternity for men cologne.”

She broke out in a wide grin. “I love that stuff!”

He smiled. “I know. Xander told me. He said you always hang around him more when he wears it. Now you can hang around me more.”

Smiling, she threw herself in his arms, hugging him. “Thank you.”

Not one to be put off by any show of affection from the woman of his dreams, Spike hugged her back tightly, burying his face in her neck. “For what?”

“Well, you know that Xander wears the cologne that I like, and it didn’t bother you to get it even though you know he wears it. That means a lot.”

“Well, you know I don’t mind the Whelp too much,” Spike said easily.

“I know, but still. And it pleases me to know that Xander even told you what kind to get on my behalf. That makes it that much easier.”

“You mean easier when you have to tell them about us?” Spike asked softly, bracing himself for the outburst of ‘I’m not telling them jack about us!’

“Exactly,” she murmured.

*********


Lois thought perhaps she’d made a mistake when she entered the bar. The bar appeared to have an even tougher crowd than she thought, and from the way the bartender eyed her suspiciously, she got the distinct impression he was wondering what the hell she was doing there. She glanced around, quickly, not really focusing on anyone, not wanting to give anyone the idea that perhaps she wanted to talk to them. She wanted to give the impression she was alone and meant to be alone. She didn’t even look up at the curious bartender when he asked for her order. Calmly, digging in her purse for money, she ordered a Scotch on the rocks and laid out her money. She looked up, and saw her reflection against the wall among bottles of booze.

She nearly screamed when she saw behind her a demon sitting at a table. Her eyes frantically scanned the area behind her in the mirror. There were a few other demons, and, she realized, the human looking ones had to be vampires.

Great job, Lois, she told herself, thinking on how to bolt without drawing unwanted attention to herself. Oh God, the last thing she needed was another vampire attack. She just had to go and make Clark stay behind. She just had to go and tell him –

“Mind if I join you?”

Lois nearly sagged in relief when she found Clark standing there. “You came,” she whispered.

“Sorry—“

“No, don’t be sorry.”

He looked at her, surprised.

“I am working on admitting when I’m wrong,” she explained. “If you weren’t here…”

“Figured you’d tell me I was being controlling again,” he said, sliding in next to her and ordering a beer.

“Well, I’ll deal with that later. Now I’m just happy you’re here. I didn’t realize this was …” she glanced nervously into the mirror, “Well, you know.”

“I remember Spike mentioning it in passing. Something about kitten poker.”

“Do I want to know?”

“Probably not. However, this might have been brilliant on your part Lois. Your penchant for getting into trouble and not listening –“

She glared at him.

“—might pay off in this instance. With my hearing, we might be able to pick up some information.”

“Yes, you do that. And then we’ll circle back to your controlling ways, okay?”

Clark groaned in answer and Lois smirked triumphantly.
Twenty two by Brat
“I want you to know that I’m not really that dumb.”

Clark looked sidelong at Lois, mid-sip of his beer. He put the bottle down. “I never thought that.”

“How could you not? I mean…with the…and the…weren’t there days when you were screaming in your head ‘Hello McFly! Are you blind?’ I would have been if I were you.”

Clark snorted, nearly sending some beer up his nose. “No, I don’t think I said that—“

“Come on!”

“At least not the ‘McFly’ part,” he said, grinning.

Lois glared at him, but his grin was catching and soon, she was grinning too, despite how angry she wanted to stay with him. “I blew you off when you came back. I was too wrapped up in…god this is weird. I was too wrapped up in your altar ego being back that I shoved you aside. I’m sorry for that.”

“Lois, you don’t have to apologize.”

“No, I do. I just. . . Clark, we were close before. I was close to Clark Kent and him once upon a time. That’s why I’m so angry with you. I always laid myself bare for you, for both of you and now I feel as if I wasn’t worthy enough to get the same back—“

“No, Lois, that’s not it at all. It was complicated and I thought I was protecting you and making it easier for you by not telling you. You know the reasons…I just didn’t realize that by keeping it secret from you, for trying to protect you as I did, that it’d just end up hurting you more and I regret so much…Most of all, I regret not being there for you when you were pregnant with our son.” He broke off, emotion clogging his throat. “Those are five years of his life I’ll never get back.”

“I have a lot in pictures and caught on camera.”

“Not the same and you know it.”

“I do, I know it. But, there’s nothing that can be done about it now. The thing is, I spent five years without the love of my life and while I adore Richard, the plain and simple fact is that he’s not you. I haven’t been very fair to him, keeping him around as I have, making promises like marriage that I never meant to keep, bringing him into Jason’s life and giving him a father because his real father wasn’t there and I . . . I just can’t do it anymore Clark. I can’t live the lie any longer.”

Clark reached out and took her hand in his, squeezing it. “What do you want to do, Lois?”

“That’s where you come in. I want you to tell me what you want for once. I’m tired of doing it all alone, keeping it all inside and having to be the strong stoic one when inside, I’m a mess missing you, loving you and not being able to have you. I’m tired of being one of the guys Lois Lane. I want to be one of those passive women that lets her man choose what he wants. Just. . . don’t deny me my love, Clark, that’s all I ask.”

“I don’t think that’s possible now, Lois,” Clark said hoarsely.

“Then tell me. What are we going to do?”

*********


Spike thought it was absolutely adorable the way his girl got all nervous as soon as they crossed the threshold to her home. He winced as a certain memory of a certain Slayer once upon a time banishing him from her home, and now he was able to stroll right in. Not only that, but she wanted him there. She’d all but asked him to come over and spend the night with her.

The night had been so surreal for him; he wanted to pinch himself to make sure all of it was really happening that he was really there, in her home. That she cared for him, that she wanted to give them a chance.

“Hello! You there?”

He blinked and reared back, Buffy was waving her hand in his face.

“Sorry, pet. I guess I’m not the only one that got nervous.”

She pouted. “I am not nervous!”

He chuckled. “Oh you so are. As soon as we stepped inside you got all fidgety and started rambling. You only do both of those things when you’re nervous.”

She rolled her eyes. “I hate that you observe everything. Is there anything that you miss?”

“Well, it did take me a while to pick up on the fact that you wanted me,” he teased.

She barked out a laugh, “No it didn’t. You knew the whole time. You called me on it enough.”

He shrugged. “Most of that was wishful thinking and hoping that the power of suggestion would work.”

“So underneath that tough, confident exterior is an ancient, hopeful and uncertain vampire?”

“I like how you slid the ‘ancient’ in there, pet.”

“I still have to get my digs in when I can.”

“Yuk it up. Just know that what goes around comes around.”

“I’m not going to be around as long as you—“

He grabbed her then, hauling her into his arms and kissing her soundly. “You don’t talk like that, you hear me? You’re going to be around for a long time, Buffy. Especially if I have anything to say about it, and as it turns out, I do. Got it?”

She was swaying in his arms, looking up at him dazed. “Uh huh.”

He grinned and kissed her softly, taking his sweet time to savor and taste her. Pressing his forehead against hers, he whispered, “I love you.”

She kissed him. “I know,” she whispered.

“And I’ll be there for you—“

“These five words I swear to you?”

“Huh?” he blinked, confused.

Then his girl started to sing, entirely off key. “I’ll be there for you, these five words I swear to you, when you breathe, I wanna be the air for you, I’ll be there for you!” She stopped at his amused and baffled look. “Though, you could never give me air.”

“Buffy, I love you enough to find a way if I needed to.”

She smiled brightly.

“And what was that horrible song you just sang?”

Buffy shook her head and sighed. “I can always count on you to miss the finer points of pop culture. Come on Spikey, let me show you my room…though you’ve seen it quite a few times haven’t you? All those times you stalked me and snatched my stuff when I wasn’t here…” She said as she took his hand and led him up the stairs. “Can I get my cashmere sweater back by the way?”

“You’re bloody hysterical you know that?” he said dryly.

“I know. It’s why you love me.”

“One of many reasons, luv, one of many.”

*'I'll Be There for You' lyrics by Bon Jovi. I heard it on the radio tonight and just had this image in my head of Buffy breaking out in song during a sappy moment. :)*
Twenty-three by Brat
“What I want,” Clark said, gathering a breath for courage, “Is to be able to love you back. I want you to be my wife, I want to be able to take care of Jason and you, I want to be his father, Lois. Don’t get me wrong, I like Richard, he’s a great guy, but he’s not Jason’s father and I want the right to be that.”

“I want you to have that right too.”

“And it’s not going to be easy, Lois. We have a lot to muddle through, you and I.”

“I know.”

“You’re still with Richard, for one.”

“I know, I have to tell him, but you know what?”

”What?”

“I think he knows.”

“What do you mean?”

Lois turned to him, “Okay, when you were hurt by…” she darted a glance at the demons and vampires congregated behind them, “you-know-who?”

“Yeah…”

“I was desperate to get to you, I had to get to you. Richards not stupid, he knows. Even when I carefully denied loving you, he knew.”

“And what of Jason? Does he know anything about that?”

Lois chewed her bottom lip. “I think so.”

Clark’s eyes widened. “What?”

“Well, it’s not that I know for sure that he knows, I mean, I’ve never said anything obviously, but I think he speculates. Just a feeling I have.”

“Oh, Lois, that’s not good for me, for Jason, for us…”

”Clark, he won’t tell.”

“And if he does?”

“It’s not like he knows about…Clark.”

“Yeah, but—“

”Your paranoid mind needs to take a break for a second. You claim to have faith in humans; you help them everyday of your life, and yet you’re really a little hypocrite at times.”

Excuse me?” Clark was stunned, and somewhat annoyed by that accusation.

“You think the worst of us, just the same. You shouldn’t with Richard. He’s a good man, and you’ve been the one to say that plenty of times yourself. If he hasn’t said anything yet, he won’t. And no matter how upset he might be when I break things off, he loves Jason, he thinks of him as his own, and he would not do anything to hurt that little boy. No matter how hurt and angry he might be at me and you.”

Clark frowned slightly, “Okay, you might have somewhat of a point about that hypocrite idea.”

Lois grinned. “For all my unable to observe the little things like you and …your secret identity, there are some things I do pick up on. So…can we blow this joint now?”

*********


“You know, pet, I really think you should consider redecorating,” Spike mused as he fingered the gauzy white curtains in her room, after they'd both showered (seperately) and changed.

“Oh? To what? Black on black on red? I don’t think so.”

”No, but you do have some great color schemes in here, you really just need to update the look a bit is all.”

Buffy stared at him, expressionless.

”What?” he asked, defensively.

“You gonna start handing out business cards for that part time job you got going on?”

“And what part-time job would that be?” he asked, hands on hips.

Buffy had to giggle at the sight he presented. Ooh, the Big Bad’s feathers were getting ruffled.

“The job of interior decorator.”

“Hush up.”

”Oh, no…no. You actually said the phrase ‘great color schemes’. You know when I’ve heard that phrase uttered most often?”

“When you were dating Angel?”

Buffy had to bark out a laugh at that one. “No.”

“So sorry…when you and Willow have had sleepovers with Xander?”

Buffy couldn’t stop laughing, “You’re evil.”

”Yeah, and you’d do well to remember that.”

“Oh, I’m so scared.”

Growling, Spike stalked over to her, kissed her, and flung her onto the bed. “I think you better get scared now, missy,” he said, pouncing on her.

Giggling, while Spike nuzzled her neck, growling all the while, she wrapped her arms around him and surrendered. Never had surrendering to her supposed mortal enemy been so much fun.

“Spike?” she whispered.

He stilled, his face still buried in her neck. “Yeah?”

“Can I see it?”

“See what? My penis? Thought you’ve seen them before pet. I mean, you have had sex, even if it was with a bunch of bloody ponces--”

She giggled again and rolled her eyes, swatting him on the arm. “No…your face.”

His head whipped up and he braced himself up on his hands.

She smiled up at him, “Your game face.”

“Why do you want to see that?”

“Cause its part of you.”

“And it’s the part you hate,” he muttered.

“We’re past that, remember?”

“So, then why do you need to see it?”

“I told you, its part of you. And since its part of you that I don’t hate anymore, I want to see it.”

Instantly, he morphed into his game face.

Reaching out tentatively, Buffy traced each ridge and bump. She studied him, took him in, and slowly she felt the tension in his body relax under her ministrations. When she came down to his mouth and encouraged him to open, it, she traced his fangs and knicked her finger on one. It made her jump slightly at that and she drew it back, watching the pearl of blood form on her finger.

“Buffy, I’m sorry, I didn’t—“ Spike began, but was cut off when she thrust her finger at him. “Buffy, what?”

“Lick it.”

He stared at her, awestruck. “What?”

“Lick it. Come on, I know you’ve wanted my blood for a while now.”

He shook his head, morphing back into his human visage. “No, Buffy, not anymore, not like that, not to hurt you.”

“You didn’t hurt me. I hurt me. I want to give this to you, Spike. Please, let me.”

“Why?” Spike whispered.

“Because I want to prove to you that I trust you, or at least that I’m starting to. I want to give you something since you’ve already given me so much.”

“What have I given you?” he asked hoarsely.

“Your love.”

He collapsed against her, “Christ, Buffy,” he said hoarsely.

“Please, Spike. I want you to have it. Please.”

How could he resist such an offer? How could he turn her down? He could tell that by doing so, would only hurt her feelings. She was doing this for him, and denying her would be an insult. He could see this was something she had to do. And since she had to, he was powerless to do anything but oblige.

Turning his head, he rested it on her shoulder and took her finger and drew it into his mouth, morphing into game face and tasting her sweet blood.

Oh, God, it was heaven. Pure bliss…the sweetness of it, the way just a drop was like pure power running through his system. His eyes popped open, and he found her smiling at him warmly.

“Kiss me,” she whispered, and he again, could do nothing but oblige. Pushing her into the bed, he kissed her hard and hungrily, pouring everything he felt for her into that kiss, all the desire, the love and the need. He felt himself soaring to the heavens when she wrapped herself around him and moaned in pleasure.

After that, all rational thought of taking this slow flew out of his impassioned mind.

********


“Yeah, have you met the bald, egotistical freak?”

Clark froze, his super hearing picking up a conversation that sounded just like the conversation he needed to be hearing.

”Clark?” Lois questioned, placing her hand boldly on his thigh and leaning in.

He groaned inwardly. Once again, duty took over when things were just getting really interesting.

He held up his hand and whispered, “Wait.”

Her eyes widened, “You hear something?”

“Yes.”

“I haven’t met him,” one, whom Clark could only assume was a vampire said, “ What’s his name? Lex or something?”

“Yeah, that’s exactly it,” the one who had originally asked about Lex, said. “He’s got some major stuff going on.”

”I heard some vamps were walking in the day because of him?”

”Yeah, he’s got this crystal or something…”

Clark felt a lump rise in his throat. My crystals.

“What’s he plan to do?”

“Resurrect the Master and take over Sunnydale…and then the world. I don’t think he’ll be able to do it, but hey, I can walk and eat in the day, so whatever.”

Clark looked at Lois. “We have to find Buffy. Now.”
Twenty Four by Brat
Author's Notes:
For spikestheman who lit the fire under my ass to get this chapter out :)
“Clark, what is it?” Lois asked as he tugged her out of the bar. Turning to her, he heaved a deep breath. “Remember the crystals Lex used to make that ginormous land mass that nearly wiped out Metropolis?”

“Yeah,” Lois said slowly, not sure if she wanted to hear this.

“That is what he’s using to make the vampires day walkers.”

Lois’ eyes widened. “Oh God! He’s had them still all this time?”

“Must have,” Clark ran a hand through his dark locks. “When I get my hands on him…”

“What else did you learn?”

“He plans to resurrect the Master and take over the world. You know--Lex’s usual shtick. He can’t just . . . go away. He has to be the most power-hungry—“

“Who’s the Master again? I vaguely remember hearing a story from Xander about him…”

“He’s the vampire that killed Buffy when she was a teenager.”

“Buffy died?” Lois’ jaw met the ground.

Clark grinned, “She’s something huh?”

At that, Lois became indignant. “Well, yeah, but…she hasn’t…” she sighed heavily, throwing up her hands. “Okay, yeah, she’s amazing.”

Laughing, Clark brought Lois in the circle of her arms and held her close. “In case you didn’t know,” he said huskily in her ear, “I think you’re pretty amazing too.”

Lois shivered, and instinctively Clark knew it wasn’t from the slight chill in the air. It pleased him to no end that he had that affect on her—and as Clark, no less. It had been a night of revelations so far, it seemed.

“You’re not just saying that?” Lois asked. It surprised him to hear the doubt and uncertainty in her voice. That was unlike Lois. Usually she was incredibly sure of herself, and defied anyone that dared underestimate and doubt her.

“I’m not just saying that,” Clark whispered and tilted her face up, making her look at him to see the truth and love in his eyes. “I love you, Lois, so much.”

She smiled softly. “I love you too,” she whispered and leaned up, shocking the hell out of him by kissing him full on the mouth.

It had been much too long. Much, much too long. Feeling her lips against his reminded him of what it felt like to have her wrapped around him, her body underneath his, moaning for him while he loved her thoroughly.

“I missed this,” she whispered. “Missed touching you, kissing you.”

“I missed it too,” he murmured, capturing her lips in a voracious kiss once more.

“Promise me we’ll be together now, Clark, please,” she begged him when he broke the kiss to give her air to breathe.

“I promise,” he said resolutely. “You have to tell Richard.”

“And I will, I will,” she whispered and kissed him again, moaning into the kiss.

“Hey, get a room!”

That shout knocked them from their passion and made them aware once more of where they were and what they had to do. Looking at each other, lust still evident in their eyes, they said at the same time with an affirmative nod, “Buffy.”

*********


Buffy ground herself against Spike’s erection, feeling her panties grow moist at the feel. She wanted him.

“Buffy,” he breathed, peppering kisses along her jaw, “Do you want me to stop, luv?”

That was interesting. Spike was asking her if she wanted to stop? Had the world indeed spun off its axis when he cared more about what she wanted than getting his rocks off inside her and consummating this relationship? Though, one could argue that the relationship had been consummated on some level when he tasted her blood. Although, wouldn’t have biting her been—

“Love?”

“You’re asking me if I want to stop?”

He looked up at her, “Yeah, why?”

“I just…I don’t know.”

He grinned, “Yeah, I think you do know. You thought I’d just keep going and not give you a chance for an out?”

“Well…yeah.”

“Well…no. Told you, I didn’t want to rush you. If you need time, then time is what I give you. Buffy, I may be soulless, but I am capable of love and I do know right from wrong. I love you, Buffy, more than anything in the world and I do not want to do anything to jeopardize what we could have because I know it’ll be amazing. If you think I’m going to do anything to risk losing you after I’m so close to having you as my girl, well, you’ve got another thing coming.”

“Oh, Spike,” she said with a burst of happiness, “I do love you.”

Both of them froze. Buffy’s eyes widened as did Spike’s.

Swallowing hard, Spike shook his head, “Do you want to pretend that didn’t come out?” he asked hesitantly.

Good God, he was giving her an out. He was giving her a chance to back out if she wanted, and he was going to go along with it, let her live in the deluded world she could in fact create here, that she’d never said it, and that she hadn’t meant it.

Except that she did mean it. Waiting and having time seemed to have flown right out the window over the past few hours and honestly, she could chalk it up to hormones and the rush of desire she felt for him. She could say that it was because it felt so damn good to be wanted and by someone as attentive and affectionate as Spike, but that wasn’t it. Not all of it anyway. That was just a miniscule part, really.

She loved Spike because he was Spike.

“No, I don’t want to take it back,” she told him with complete certainty.

He stared at her, still tense. “You sure? You could claim Freudian slip or—“

She put her finger to his lips. “No. I don’t want to. I meant it.”

Taking her finger from his mouth, he asked, “Buffy…are you saying…do you mean…?”

“That I love you? Yes.”

The last thing she expected was for his eyes to well up in tears, but they did nonetheless. The sight filled her with wonder and made her own eyes well up.

“What are you crying for?” he asked incredulously.

“Because you are!”

“That doesn’t mean you have to cry!”

“I can’t help it, I see you cry, I feel the urge to, you big idiot!”

“Well, stop it.”

“You first.”

He laughed through the tears that cascaded down his eyes. “Pet, they’re happy tears, not sad ones.”

“Well, good, now I know what kind of tears I should be shedding,” she said dryly and he laughed again. He shook his head in wonder, gazing down at her with such wonder and awe. “I never thought I’d hear you say it, I never thought you could…”

Pulling him down, she kissed him so softly it was just feather like graze across his lips. “Well, I do. I love you. I love you so very much, Spike.”

That apparently was all the impetus he needed for he devoured her in a kiss that left Buffy no doubt that she was about to get some.
Twenty five by Brat
Author's Notes:
To: Tammy
From: Brat
Merry Christmas! :)
This was it, it was going to happen, of that Spike was sure. All his dreams were about to be realized, all his wants and desires – the accumulation of years loving Buffy and not realizing, of not knowing it, and then all the time he’d spent being shoved out of her life, all the love he’d had that had been unrequited, was about to be requited.

His hands trembled as he pushed them under her shirt, her soft skin warming him immediately. She moaned into the kiss, wrapping her arms around his neck, and wrapping her legs around his waist, grinding her center against him.

“Fuck, Buffy, I’ve wanted this for so long,” he muttered, trailing kisses from her mouth, across her jaw and down her neck. His hands, meanwhile, cupped her bra-covered breasts in his hands, flicking her nipples with his thumbs, making them hard and beg for his attention.

Her arms suddenly released him and she lifted them up over her head. “Take it off,” she whispered lustily.

With wide, awe-filled eyes, Spike pushed her shirt up and over her head and then immediately set to work on taking off her bra. When her breasts were free, Spike covered one with his mouth, suckling it into his mouth while tweaking the nipple of her other breast between his fingers.

“Ooh…” she murmured.

“Tell me what you want and I’ll do it,” he whispered huskily, kissing the valley between her breasts and making his way to the other breast.

“Oooh…just keep doing what you’re doing…it’s perfect. You’re perfect.”

That was new. That was a first. And that was certainly something he thought he’d never hear come from Buffy’s mouth. Christ, he was so fucking unworthy, but he didn’t care, he wasn’t going to give this up, he was going to hold on tight and never let go.

Leaning up, he kissed her and groaned when he felt her hand rubbing his denim clad erection.

“Spike, I want you,” she whispered pleadingly. “I’ve wanted you for so long.”

Oh God, he was going to cry again. She was saying all the things he’d longed for her to say, doing all the things he’d fantasized so many times, and she meant that, the knowledge that she meant all she said shook him to the core. I am going to explode into dust from just her love.

Her hands unsnapped his jeans and she reached inside, grasping his cock as it jumped out to greet her. She smiled saucily up at him. “That’s it…that’s what I want.”

“Buffy, Christ--”

She spun him so that he was on his back and she was straddling his calves, pushing his pants down far enough so she could suck on him. And just as she was about to take him in her mouth, the doorbell rang.

“Ignore it,” she muttered and opened her mouth once more to take him in.

Spike’s hips rose from the bed, wanting to feel her hot mouth around him so badly, he felt as though he was going to implode.

“Buffy, it’s Lois and Clark! Open up, we found out what Lex is doing!” Clark’s voice came bounding up to them.

Buffy stopped, pulled back, and clamped her mouth shut, her hand around Spike’s hard member. Spike, for his part, wanted to weep in frustration.

“Uh, we kind of have to…” Buffy murmured and moved off his lap.

Spike sighed, slightly growling, “I know. That bloody wanker, I’m going to rip his goddamn head off and drain him dry, don’t care what kind of bleedin’ headache it gives me.”

Buffy giggled, “Which one? Clark or Lex?”

“Both,” Spike muttered and shimmied his jeans up over his hips while Buffy put her bra and shirt back on. He stood and faced her. “Bloody perfect timing, the lot of them.”

“Oh honey, don’t worry, we’ll be picking up right where we left off very soon,” Buffy promised, cooing at him and wrapping her arms around him. She kissed him sweetly and started to pull away, when Spike tugged her back, looking at her searchingly.

“You mean it, right? You’re not gonna go out there and forget or stop or--”

“No, baby, I won’t stop or forget,” she murmured, hugging him and playing with the curls at the nape of his neck. “I have loved you for a very long time, and I don’t give my love to just anyone, and I’m not fickle with it. The harsh light of anything has no place in here. I love you, Spike and I am not going to be stopping.”

“Ever, right? You’re not ever going to stop because I’m going to love you forever, Buffy. And forever is what I’ve got.”

“Uh oh.”

“What?” he asked, his hold tightening on her.

“I feel another song coming on…”

“What--?”

“I’ll be loving you forever…just as long as you want me to be-ee…” she sang and then giggled. “Man, I thought I would never be able to reference a New Kids on the Block song ever again and I just did.”

“I’m just getting them all tonight, aren’t I?” Spike quipped.

“Count yourself lucky, I don’t sing for just anyone ya know.”

Spike grinned. “Well, I don’t know if I’d call it lucky…”

Pulling back, she swatted him on the arm. “Hey!”

Laughing, Spike tugged her back in his arms and smothered her in a kiss. “Just kidding.”

“Guys?” A knock at the window had Buffy starting and Spike swiveling his head to her window where Clark was, his hands over his eyes. “I don’t mean to be a nuisance, but--”

“We’re coming down, you persistent pain in the ass!” Spike barked and took Buffy’s hand, leading her out of the room. “Be bloody glad when this is over,” he muttered and whipped the front door open, Buffy giggling behind him.

“All right, we’re here. What the bloody hell is going on? And you better have something concrete,” he snapped to Lois.

Lois raised a brow. “Did we interrupt something?”

Spike just glared and Lois shrugged, looking over to Clark who was floating down to the steps.

“As a matter of fact,” Clark began, “We do have something concrete. Hanging out at some dive, this is what we heard…”
Twenty-six by Brat
Reinforcements were called in immediately, the clock was ticking and it was time to hunt. The reinforcements of course being the entire Scooby gang. They all congregated at 1630 Revello Drive, a little groggy, but there nonetheless. It wasn’t like it was the first time the Scoobies had to pull an all-nighter.

Spike watched his girl dole out the plan and felt the tension radiating off her. He’d seen her in fights more serious than this one, hell; he’d seen her avert apocalypses. He’d fought her many times back in the days he’d wanted to bag his third Slayer – all of which made him wince in regret now—and she’d never been nervous to fight him, well, okay a few times she had been, but he wasn’t about to tell her that. That would get him a clock in the nose. This though, this was different. She was nervous. Scared.

“She okay?” Clark whispered to him while Buffy spoke with Willow.

Spike arched a brow. “What are you on about?”

Clark gave him a look. “I’m not moving in on your girl, Spike. I have my own, and besides, even if I were, I wouldn’t have a shot. She’s in love with you, remember?”

Spike sighed, letting the tension drain from his shoulders. “Sorry, mate. I’ve had a history of losing my women to other men. I tend to be wary now, and most especially when it comes to Buffy. Be bloody lost without her, I would.”

Clark smiled. “Something tells me she’d be ‘bloody’ lost without you as well.”

“I don’t know,” Spike mused thoughtfully, looking at his girl, “She’s lived quite fine without me. She’s much stronger than I am.”

“Perhaps it’s all just show.”

“Perhaps,” Spike sighed.

“Well, there is plenty of time to find out, isn’t there?”

Spike smiled, “Yeah, there is.”

“Okay, so Spike and Clark will head out and see if they can detect Luthor,” Buffy recapped. “He’s got to be close now; he’s just got to be. Willow and Tara will see what kind of magick’s are in the air and how close by they are and Anya will stay with them to make sure nothing gets too wonky. When they’re done, they’ll come join us. Xander, Lois, Giles and I will head to the site Luthor plans to resurrect the Master.” She shuddered a bit at that, but continued on, heading towards the weapons chest.

“What about Superman?” Anya asked.

Buffy looked up, “What about him?”

“Shouldn’t he be involved in this?”

Buffy’s eyes met Lois’ who cleared her throat, “Well, I’m sure he’ll show up. He has a tendency to do that.”

“Right. Well, gang, we’ve got our jobs, I s’pose it’s time to go then,” Spike declared.

“Look at Spike all with the taking charge,” Xander chirped.

“Get used to it, Xander. Spike’s part of us, part of me, so you better get used to it.”

What did you just say?” Giles demanded and all heads in the room swiveled to Buffy. All except for Clark and Lois seemed concerned; Spike just looked downright worried and pissed off.

Buffy cleared her throat and straightened, looking at Spike and smiling gently. “I love Spike. He’s my boyfriend now, so I suggest you all get used to him being around.”

“Buffy,” Giles began shaking his head. “While I don’t deny that Spike has real feelings for you, remember what I have warned you time and again--”

“Yeah, I know, but you know, not every vampire is the same and let’s face it,” she said, gesturing to Spike, “He is so not like other vampires and never has been. He’s…Spike, he’s…William.”

Spike smiled at her, awe filling his expression as he gazed at her. “I do love you, girl.”

Buffy smiled back and it was as if they were the only people in the room. “I love you, too.”

“Oh, I can just imagine the sex you two will have! It’s going to be phenomenal, really,” Anya interrupted, nodding enthusiastically. “I can only imagine that sex with Superman would be marginally better.”

Clark coughed and Lois glared at her. “Too bad you’ll never know,” Lois snapped and Anya glared back at her.

“Hey, do you think we could get going on this before Spike and Buffy spend all night eye fucking each other?” Xander suggested.

“Xander, honestly,” Giles muttered and took off his glasses to wipe them on his shirt.

Buffy giggled and handed Spike her coveted crossbow. “Ready, honey?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be. I’ve got a bone to pick with that wanker.”

Buffy giggled again and kissed him quickly. “Please don’t take long with Clark,” she whispered. “I need you in case I have to face him.”

Him, Spike knew, mean the Master.

“You won’t have to face him alone, Buffy,” Spike promised, “I won’t let anything happen to you. Do you trust me?”

“Implicitly,” Buffy murmured and kissed him once more before they all separated.

********


Willow and Tara held hands while Anya looked on, slightly bored. It wasn’t as if she hadn’t seen witches doing magick like this before. She’d been around for centuries, she’d seen it all.

She watched in half interest as Willow and Tara chanted in their circle of candles and suddenly Willow fell back, panting and gazing up at the ceiling. “They’re close. As in, in Sunnydale and whatever they’re doing--”

“They’re doing it now,” Tara finished.

Anya jumped up from her spot on the couch. “Thanks girls, let’s pack it in and get to them now!”

*********


“That wanker must have moved,” Spike muttered as he and Clark moved about town. “I can smell him everywhere.”

Clark sighed and spun in a blur of red and blue. Spike raised an eyebrow as Superman stood before him.

“That super speed is right helpful innit?” Spike said matter-of-factly, “Though I’m wondering if it’s quite hot underneath all your other clothes, and how does the cape not get bulky under there?”

“Spike,” Superman sighed, “Can we get on with this now?”

Spike stared at him. “What did you have in mind?”

“We’re flying.”

Spike’s eyes widened and he backed up, hands up. “Oh, I don’t know about that.”

“Do you want to get to Buffy before Luthor raises the Master?”

Spike stepped forward, “Right then. Let’s go.”

Wrapping an arm around Spike, Superman lifted, laughing when Spike started sputtering. “Bloody hell!”

“Just relax, Spike.”

“Easy for you to say, this is what you do...Hey, I think I can see my crypt from up here.”

*********


“Well, well, well, what do we have here?” Buffy announced, stopping the chanting that was going on as soon as she stepped inside the magick circle followed by Giles, Xander and Lois. A bald man that she could only assume was Lex Luthor, a dark haired woman with wiry curls that she could only assume was Kitty, and a room full of vampires that she could only assume were his minions, greeted her.

Lex smiled. “Buffy, you’re just in time. We’re about to bring about the vampire that killed you the first time. If we’re lucky, maybe he’ll do it again.”

“I don’t think so, Luthor,” Buffy said through clenched teeth and lunged at him.
Twenty-seven by Brat
Luthor toppled to the ground as Kitty yelled at Buffy and soon, the scuffle of fighting had begun.

“Your friends are going to get the snot beat out of them!” Luthor yelled over the din and Buffy paused in her pummeling of him to turn for half a second and Luthor used that opportunity to backhand her.

The guy packed a punch! Her head whipped to the side and an inhuman roar filled the room. Immediately, Buffy knew who it was. Spike.

Before she could blink, Luthor was up against the wall, dangling by his throat and Superman was glaring up at him. “I got this Buffy,” he told her.

Looking to see who needed help first, Buffy made to jump in the fray when Spike jumped before her. “You all right, kitten?”

“I’m fine, honey. Can you help me kick some ass now?”

He grinned. “Happily.”

Buffy went to help Xander and Lois while Spike went to take out a vampire hounding Giles. At that moment Anya, Willow and Tara showed up and with some help from Willow and Tara, some minions were quickly taken down.

It wasn’t the vampires themselves that concerned Buffy, it was the amount and it was what they would do to her friends that made her work hard in dusting them. Spike, she admitted finally, was an asset. He dusted as many as she did and was right there to lend a hand to one of her friends with a pesky vamp. She couldn’t help but smile to herself. That’s my guy, she thought.

Turning, after having dusted a vampire, Buffy looked to see who needed help next and froze when in the middle of the circle there stood the outline of the Master in dust. His features were there, wispy bits of floating dust filling him in. She stared at the figure, her stomach turning when it focused in on her and somehow was able to glare and snarl at her.

Taking a deep breath and rounding her shoulders, Buffy strolled up to him and stared him down.

“I will destroy you,” he said to her, a disembodied voice.

“I really don’t think so. You’re pretty much…” she wafted her hand through the particles that made up his arm and he disintegrated. She smiled triumphantly up at him, “Dust.” And she walked right through him, his cries bouncing off the walls and then disappearing, the dust scattering into bits.

Buffy was pleased to find all vampires but one dusted, and that vampire Spike was currently plunging a stake into. Her friends were panting with exertion, Lois was tying Kitty up and Superman had tied Luthor up and gagged him.

“Where’d you get the rope?” she asked him.

“I have my ways,” he winked.

Buffy grinned and surveyed the room. “Everyone all right?”

Xander raised his hand. “I think I pulled a hamstring.”

“I broke a nail,” Anya said absently, looking at her outstretched hands, frowning.

“We’re good!” Willow chimed in, gesturing between her and Tara.

“Let’s get the bloody hell out of here,” Giles groused.

“I’ll be taking these two to Metropolis. I believe they’re being looked for,” Superman announced, grabbing Kitty and Luthor to him and started to fly up.

“I’ll be at the hotel!” Lois shouted up to him as he flew off.

“I’m sure he cares,” Anya said dryly and Lois glared at her.

Buffy headed for Spike, a big smile blooming on her dust-smudged cheek. Meeting each other halfway, they embraced tightly. “You okay?” she asked him, ghosting her hands over his torso lightly.

“I’m fine, sweetheart. Are you?”

“I am.”

Tilting her head up to him, he studied the spot where Luthor had backhanded her. “You sure?”

“Right as rain and so ready to go home.”

Grinning, Spike nodded his agreement. “Lead the way, pet, lead the way.”

**********


Home didn’t happen right away as it turned out. For Giles it did, but for the rest, as dusty as they were, they all decided a drink to unwind was in order. Well, all but Spike and Buffy decided.

“I wanted to pick up where we left off,” Spike pouted as Buffy led him into The Bronze.

“Don’t pout,” Buffy admonished him teasingly. “If you’re a good boy,” she whispered in his ear, “I’ll make sure to make it up to you later.”

Growling, Spike spun her in his arms and kissed her hungrily. “I do love you, girl.”

“That works out well then, because I love you too,” Buffy cooed and kissed him sweetly.

“I could teach you to dance a little so you’re not sitting here like a bump on a log,” Anya said matter –of-factly (the way she said everything it seemed) to Lois who sat at a table, gazing longingly at the dance floor.

“This might be rude of me to just be thinking of it now, but where’s Clark?” Xander asked, sipping his beer.

“Oh, uh, Spike told him to stay behind. Didn’t want him to get in the way seeing as he was kind of battle shy,” Lois explained nervously, patting down her hair.

“What the hell? I’m battle shy and I have to go,” Xander muttered.

“Oh honey,” Anya patted his arm comfortingly, while looking at Lois. “So you want to learn to dance or do you just want to sit there and wish you could?”

Lois sighed, “Oh Anya, there are so many things about you that are just like me.”

Anya frowned slightly, seemingly unsure how to take that.

“You’ve helped me see the light in so many ways,” Lois grinned and headed for the dance floor. An uncertain Anya followed.

Xander shook his head and tapped Spike on the shoulder. “When you’re done playing tonsil hockey, do you want to play some pool?”

Spike sighed heavily, slumping his shoulders.

“Go on honey, do it. You know you wanna,” Buffy encouraged him, pushing at him slightly.

“I do want to do it,” Spike told her pointedly. “That’s the problem.”

“Yeah, still standing here, hello!” Xander shouted.

“Go play. Be nice,” Buffy said, pushing Spike in Xander’s direction. “I’m going to join Willow and Tara. They’re getting their drink on and whatever green thing Willow’s drinking, it looks yum.” Buffy bounded off after a peck on the cheek to Spike and Spike turned helplessly to Xander.

Xander slapped him on the back and grinned. “I know you haven’t really dated much, Spike, so let me give you some advice on modern women these days, man to man.”

“Giles is showing up after all?” Spike teased.

“Oh. I get it. Comedy. You want help or not? I’ve known Buffy much longer than you.”

Spike sighed. “All right, all right. Rack em’ and talk.”
Twenty-eight by Brat
Author's Notes:
I thought about doing a Clois love scene, but felt perhaps it wasn't necessary. They almost deserve a story all their own, plus, I don' t think either of them would consummate their relationship with Lois still involved with Richard. So, I left them as they were, with hope for the future and focused on Spuffy, since this IS The Spuffy Realm after all. Big thanks to Tammy for pushing me to write this when I was slacking :)
Lois sat at the table in the hotel room, her eyes glued to the outside, waiting for Clark to return. Tapping her fingers in impatience and worry, she sighed heavily. What was taking him so long? And just as she’d thought it, he was there, whistling and walking past the window in his Clark suit – suit and tie.

Jumping up from her chair, Lois flung the door open before Clark could, a huge smile on her face. “You made it back.”

Clark smiled and stepped inside, his eyes never leaving her. “Did you doubt it?”

“No, but, I was worried.”

“Luthor was as docile as a kitty. He knew he didn’t have a prayer at that point.”

“And Kitty?”

“Quiet. I think she’s accepted her fate. She’s not so bad, really, just misled.”

“So, will you be around for the trial this time?” Lois teased, “I mean, he tried to destroy the world by wiping out land and creating his own land. I don’t think he thought the consequences of that one through and I doubt parole will come up for him, but just in case…”

Clark grabbed Lois in his arms. “I’ll be around. I have a lot to be around for, don’t I, Lois?” he asked huskily.

Lois grinned and kissed him soundly. “You bet you do.”

*********


“Was it so bad?” Buffy asked as she and Spike as she unlocked the door to her house and let him in.

“Bloody whelp doesn’t shut up,” Spike grumbled. “He prattled on and on, thought he was helping me. I tell you, luv, I might not have dated much and my ideas might be a tad old-fashioned when it comes to romancin’ a woman, but that boy has a lot to learn. I think I’ve picked up a few things along the past couple centuries, but him…” Spike shook his head and shuddered. “Good thing Anya loves him as she does.”

Buffy grinned and wrapped her arms around him. “Oh yes. Trying to kill me for all those years was real conducive to romance. A true testament to how you ‘romance a woman’.”

Spike’s face fell and he looked down, clearly hurt. “Pet, if I could go back and change all that, I would. You know I would. All that…I was bloody stupid.”

She shook her head, “That wasn’t right for me to bring up. I’m sorry. Things are different now and I know that. Besides, I was hung up on Angel—“

A growl escaped Spike and he crashed his lips to hers. “No talk of that bloody prat.”

“Ooh, I like it when you get all growly and jealous.”

He quirked a brow, leering down at her. “Do you now?”

She giggled, “I do. So, why don’t we play one of your favorite games?”

“What’s that then, luv?”

“Hunt me!” and she sprinted off, running up to her bedroom, discarding her shirt on the way. It whipped him in the face and Spike inhaled her vanilla scent. Growling, he took the shirt off his face and bounded up the stairs after her.

“Here, kitty, kitty…” he called softly. “Here, kitty, kitty, kitty….”

A muffled giggle sounded from Joyce’s bedroom and Spike walked slowly inside, standing in the center of the room, sniffing for her. Problem was, she was all over the sodding house.

“Oh, Spikey….”

Turning he found her back in the hallway, waving and smiling coquettishly.

Lunging toward her, she squealed and ran into her bedroom. With cat like grace, Spike dashed in and wrapped his arms around her, catching her in his grasp and hauling her up against his chest. “I’ve got you know, my little kitten.”

“And what are you going to do with me?” she purred.

“I’m going to make love to you all night long…” he promised and cupped her bra-covered breasts in his hands, tweaking her nipples between his fingers.

“Mmmm…” Buffy hummed, letting her head fall back on his shoulder.

Spike used the opportunity of her exposed neck to nuzzle it as his hands trailed over her tight and soft stomach and dipping into the waistband of her jeans. Undoing the button and zipper, Spike pushed his hand gently inside her panties, seeking her core.

She gasped when he found it, stroking her from the outside and slowly easing his finger inside her wet heat.

“Kitten like that?” he rumbled in her ear and she nodded, her eyes shutting and her mouth falling open.

“You want this,” he asked, twisting his finger inside her, “to be my cock?”

“Yes,” she gasped.

“Lie down on the bed baby, your Big Bad is gonna take care of you.”

Spinning, Buffy sat back on her bed, gulping up at him as she quickly kicked off her shoes and socks and discarded her jeans and panties. Looking up at him, she smirked and twitched her finger at him in a “come hither” motion.

Spike, for his part, stood there harder than nails and unable to tear his eyes away from his beautiful Buffy. “God, pet, you’re so gorgeous.”

“Spike,” she whimpered and licked her finger.

That was all it took and Spike whipped his shirt off and pounced.

“Baby, you need these off,” Buffy giggled against his questing lips and tugging at the button to his jeans.

He fumbled with it, his hands shaking.

“Your turn,” Buffy whispered, stopping his hands. “Lie back.”

His eyes widening, he nodded, complying with her request and lying back.

Leaning over him, she kissed him softly and sweetly before trailing a path down his neck, over his chest and flicking his nipples with her tongue.

“Fuck,” Spike gasped, winding his fingers in her hair.

“Soon,” she returned and slowly undid his jeans, sliding them down his legs and then taking off his boots and socks before discarding them.

His cock sprang up, the tip weeping for her.

Bending down, Buffy swirled her tongue around his belled head and Spike’s eyes crossed and screwed shut. “FUCK!” he shouted.

“Mmmm,” Buffy hummed, sending vibrations through his aching cock. She sucked him hard, up, down up, down and Spike didn’t feel he was going to last much longer. As much as he wanted to cum, he wanted to cum inside her.

“Pet, please, inside you,” he managed to get out.

Taking her mouth of his cock with a wet plop, she smiled and straddled him, rubbing his cock against her wet pussy.

Reaching down, Spike grazed a nail across her clit and Buffy’s eyes shut tight and she moaned.

“Want me inside you, sweetheart?”

She nodded profusely.

“Put me inside that sweet puss, Buffy.”

He thought his dick was going to disintegrate with all her wet heat as she sat down on him, engulfing him in her tavern. “Buffy,” he muttered and reached for her as she started an easy rhythm. “Need you.”

Taking the hint, she bent down and kissed him languidly. “Oooh, Spike,” she murmured and started riding him harder and faster. “I have to…”

“That’s right baby, ride me, baby. Come for me…” he encouraged, pumping up inside her.

“Bite me!” she demanded on a breathy moan. “Please, Spike, bite me…”

“Buffy, you don’t know what you’re asking,” he grunted, trying to stave off his game face.

“I do, make me yours, please…”

“You are mine.”

She looked down at him, her eyes locking on his. “Claim me.”

His eyes widened and his movements stilled. “Buffy.”

“Don’t you want to?”

“Oh, Christ Buffy, you know I do--”

“Please, Spike, I love you and I want to belong to you,” she leaned down and kissed him sweetly. “I’ll go first if you want…” and she bit down on his neck, drawing his blood into her mouth. “Mine. You’re mine, Spike.”

Rolling her in one swift motion onto her back, Spike let out an almighty roar and bit down on her neck, drawing her sweet essence into his mouth at the same time he came within her depths. Buffy came, drenching his cock with her juice, screaming his name.

“Mine!” Spike exclaimed. “You’re mine…mine forever, my sweet Buffy, you’re mine.”

“Yes, yours.”

He looked down at her, “And I’m yours.”

Smiling, Buffy kissed him, heedless of the blood that still rest in his mouth, running her hands down the ridges of his game face and loving him, all of him.

“Spike,” she whispered later when they’d come down from their high and lay in each other’s arms.

“Yes, luv?”

“I love you.”

He smiled, cuddling her closer to him. “I love you too, Buffy,” he murmured, feeling as though his world was now complete.


The End
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=20490