The Time of the Guardians by jackofspikes
Summary: Response to Gaia's challenge no.111 on the Bloodshedverse. Buffy has been brought back by Willow's spell, but she's changed...alot! Disclaimer: Joss owns the characters of BTVS. I am not making any money off of this fic. Please don’t sue me.
Categories: General NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 27773 Read: 65041 Published: 12/11/2006 Updated: 01/01/2007

1. chapter 1 by jackofspikes

2. chapter 2 by jackofspikes

3. Chapter 3 by jackofspikes

4. Chapter 4 by jackofspikes

5. Chapter 5 by jackofspikes

6. Chapter 6 by jackofspikes

7. Chapter 7 by jackofspikes

8. Chapter 8 by jackofspikes

9. Chapter 9 by jackofspikes

10. Chapter 10 by jackofspikes

11. Chapter 11 by jackofspikes

12. Chapter 12 by jackofspikes

13. Chapter 13 by jackofspikes

14. Chapter 14 by jackofspikes

15. Chapter 15 by jackofspikes

16. Chapter 16 by jackofspikes

17. Chapter 17 by jackofspikes

18. Chapter 18 by jackofspikes

19. Chapter 19 by jackofspikes

20. Chapter 20 by jackofspikes

chapter 1 by jackofspikes
Author's Notes:
Beta'd by the fabulous chocolate loving Amy. Fabulous banner by Karyn. Runner up of Saga Catagory Nominated at the Fang Fetish Awards, round three.
Chapter 1.

Buffy sat up slowly, carefully scanning the area for clues. ‘O.k., sitting on the grass, next to a grave, in the middle of the forest…’ As she stood, brushing dirt from her dress, she leaned to take a closer look at the tombstone.

BUFFY ANNE SUMMERS
1981-2001
BELOVED SISTER AND DEVOTED FRIEND
SHE SAVED THE WORLD A LOT

Softly singing her words, “Willow…you got some ‘spaining to do”.

Knowing she would be needed elsewhere tonight, Buffy straightened up and followed the clear and well-worn path back toward town.

~*~*~

“Dawn! Dawn! Are you there?” Spike bellowed, as he came barreling in the front door of the Summers’ residence.

Spike heard Dawn’s voice coming from the second floor as she replied, “I'm here!”

Dawn rushed to the top of the stairs, as Buffy followed.

“Thank God. You scared me half to death ... or more to death. You - I could kill you.” His relief and anger, clear, in his voice.

Dawn, slowly, made her way down the stairs as she called his name, trying to get his attention. “Spike.”

”I mean it. I could rip your head off one-handed and drink from your brain stem.”

As Dawn reached the bottom of the stairs, Spike finally realized something was up. “Look”. She says, as she turned to look back up the stairs to Buffy, who was following Dawn down the stairs.

“Yeah? I've seen the bloody bot before. Didn't think she'd patch up so…” He faltered, staring at Buffy as she continued down the stairs, returning his gaze.

That was when he realized that this wasn’t the bot.

Buffy calmly made her way down the stairs. Placing a gentle hand on his cheek, she smiled at him, “I have a lot that I need to tell you, and even more that I need to say to everyone else, but I’m gonna have to ask you to try and be patient for the time being. For the moment we have some seriously big problems to deal with. One thing I will tell you, I trust you; with my life, with my sister’s life and with every other life that I hold dear. I believe in you and I will not allow anyone to treat you badly again. You’ve got your crumb Spike, now, be the man I know you can be.”

Shocked by her gentleness, it took Spike a moment to register her words. Dazed by confusion and awe, he looked from one sister to the other, unable to speak past the lump in his throat, his eye’s filled with tears as he gazed at his golden goddess, his gratitude and love shining clearly as he drew himself up to stand tall and proud.

The shared moment came to an abrupt halt as the front door was once again slammed open…... by the Scoobies.

“Is she here?" Willow asked breathlessly as she stumbled through the door.

"She's here," Anya announced excitedly as she spied Buffy standing at the foot of the stairs.

“You’re here.” Willow grinned at Buffy, oblivious to the tension created by their arrival.

“You didn't say anything, didn't tell us where you were going.” Xander added, his joy at seeing her, clear on his face, as he bounced on his toes.

“You just killed the demons and ran off.” Anya accused bluntly.

"Buffy!" Willow happily exclaimed.

“Are you okay?” Tara’s question was more subdued. She carefully watched Buffy’s expression, and dark tendrils of fear gently touched her mind.

Spike moved aside, his mind still reeling from the implications of what Buffy had said.

“You knew she was back?” Dawn asked, shocked. “How did you know?”

The shouting continued as Anya asked if Buffy was a zombie, and Xander yelled at Anya for her question, Willow asked if Buffy was in pain, Xander asked what she remembered. Voices loudly speaking over other voices, question after question being asked but not allowing answers. Catching the look of fury on Spike’s face, Buffy realized two things simultaneously; Spikes’ Demon saw her as his mate and she needed to take control of the situation, quickly. Placing two fingers in her mouth, she let out an ear-piercing whistle. “Do you have any idea of what you have done?” The Slayer spat out furiously at the Scoobies.

Shocked, by Buffy’s obvious ire, everybody froze. Not one of the Scoobies had ever faced an irate Slayer and the fear generated by the confrontation had them obeying her orders immediately, without question.

“Not one word! I will discuss the situation that you four have placed us in only once, but it will be when I’m ready to discuss it. For now, you will sit on that couch quietly while I make a couple of phone calls, and then some decisions will be made.” Buffy snarled at the Scoobies. Turning to Spike and Dawn, she quietly asked them to wait in the kitchen then moved away to the phone.

Everyone followed their orders, all totally confused by the unfolding events, but none willing to risk the wrath of a clearly pissed Slayer by asking for explanations.


“Who’s she calling?” Dawn asked Spike. Seated in the Kitchen; both seriously pleased that Buffy’s anger was directed elsewhere.

“The Watcher” Spike replied, indicating she be quiet, so he could hear the call. “She didn’t tell him much, just that she was back, the Scoobies were responsible and that she needs him back here pronto…wait…new call…”


“Wes?”

“Yes?”

“Please tell me Angel can not hear this call?”

“Well, as he is not in the office at present, I believe his ability to hear this call would be fairly improbable…If I may ask…To whom am I speaking.”

“It’s Buffy, and before you tell me I’m dead, gotta say…not so much! Seriously long story and totally need your help.”

“Umm..well..Ahh...of course. What do you need Buffy?”

“I need you not to wig, to grab Cordy and the green guy…ummm Lorne? And come to Sunnydale….Oh and without alerting Angel. Trust me on this, he’ll just complicate things and things are already complicated enough.”

“Buffy dear, surely you can give me more information on what sort of help you need? Where is Mr. Giles?”

“Nope. And England. But he’s coming back and he should be here tomorrow afternoon. I need you, Cordy and the green guy to be here too Wes. You know I wouldn’t ask if it wasn’t necessary.”

“All right Buffy. We’ll be there tomorrow evening.”

“Thanks Wes.” Buffy said, relieved as she hung up the phone.


“So, how much did you hear?” Buffy asked Dawn and Spike as she joined them in the kitchen. She grinned as she noted Spike’s guilty attempt at nonchalance. Shrugging slightly he returned her grin with a shy one of his own.

“Giles, Wes, the wonder wuss, Queen C and some Green Guy will be here tomorrow!” Dawn answered her sister’s query. “And you’re not planning on telling us why until then, right?”

“You’re right, and I need both of you to do some things for me before they get here.” Buffy answered and asked them, her serious demeanor grabbing their attention immediately. Both eager and proud to be of service to the sister/women they loved. “I’m gonna send Willow and Tara to stay with Xander and Anya, so I need you to change all the beds. Cordy, you and I in Mom’s room, Giles in mine, Wes in yours and Lorne on the couch. Will you do that for me, Dawnie?” She asked Dawn. With her agreement, Buffy turned to Spike.

“I need you to trust me Spike, I have good reasons for everything I’m about to ask of you, just please don’t ask me to explain yet.” She pleaded to him. At his nod of acceptance; she took a deep breath, and continued. “I need you to go back to the crypt, pack up your things and move into the basement. Your bed too, if you can. I need you to ring your solicitor in England and arrange for some funds, enough to help me pay off the bills and the house with enough left over for groceries and stuff for the house, and I need the money by tomorrow…and before you ask, let’s just say, you have no secrets from me Blondie…none!” smiling enigmatically at him, she turned and left the room. It was time to face the Scoobies.


“I will NOT answer your questions tonight. Come back tomorrow evening and when everyone is here, everything will be explained. Willow and Tara grab what you need. You’ll be staying with Xander and Anya. All you need to know for now is that you didn’t save me from a Hell dimension, and I am not grateful for what you have done.” It was a very subdued group of Scoobies that left the Summers’ house that evening.
chapter 2 by jackofspikes
Chapter 2.

Buffy sat at the kitchen island looking over the list she had made of ‘things to do’.

Send Tara and Willow to stay with Xander and Anya – Done

Call Giles to get him home – Done

Call Wes to get him, Cordy and Lorne here – Done

Organize beds for guests – Done

Organize clean bedding – (Dawn) Done

Get Spike to move in (Phase 1) – (Spike) Done

Organize bills and Mortgage details, calculate total required – Done

Make shopping list and give best guesstimate on funds required – Done

Let Spike know amount needed –

Get Spike to call Solicitor –

Go shopping –

Prepare food for guests –

Mentally prepare for meeting (Phase 2) –


Quickly deciding that the only things left on the list that could be done before the next day, required Spike, Buffy wrote down the total amount needed and made her way down to the basement.

Taking note of the changes to the basement, Buffy moved silently to the opposite side of the bed from Spike and started helping him make his huge bed. Between the two of them, the bed was quickly made. Spike smiled his thanks then moved over to his book case and the boxes in front of it preparing to put his books in place.

“Here.” Buffy said handing him the note she’d made; “How ‘bout I start with your books and you make your phone call, then maybe we should talk.”

Spike took the piece of paper and held her momentarily in place with his piercing gaze; searching her eyes until he seemed to see what he was looking for, he nodded and moved toward the stairs. His sultry voice drifted back to her as he moved away, “Just so you know pet, once I taste that crumb, I’m prolly gonna want the whole bloody loaf!”

“I’m counting on it.” Buffy’s quietly stated to herself.


When Spike returned to the basement, all but two of his books were in the bookcase: A book of poetry and his journal had been placed on his bedside table. His clothes had been put away and the boxes had been folded neatly in a pile under the stairs. Buffy had made her-self comfortable, sitting on the bed. Leaning against his headboard, she smiled up at him. “All done?” she asked cheerfully, and looking for all the world as if sitting on the 'Big Bads’ bed was the most natural thing in the world. Patting the bed next to her, she silently indicated his place, while quietly giggling at his shocked expression.

“Not that I’m complain’ luv, but I’m a mite confused at the new attitude?”

“I know Spike, and I’m sorry I’m confusing you, I don’t mean to. There’s so much to say, and unfortunately most of it’s gonna have to wait till the meeting tomorrow night, or um… tonight I should say.” Her compassion at his confusion was clear, in her voice. “Lots of changes are coming. Some will affect you. I hope that you won’t mind the changes, ‘cause that would be of the bad. I mean seriously, majorly of the bad!”

“Is there anything you can tell me pet? ‘Cause I gotta tell ya’ luv, I’ve been keepin’ my bleedin’ mouth shut for fear of brassin’ you off, but I’m frustrated. An' I haven’t felt like that, unless sex was involved, since I was trying to kill you! I mean…look at us. We’re sitting here like mates, havin’ a chat, on my bed! You’ve totally buggered me up Slayer, I don’t know what to expect from you.”

“Well we can’t have that now can we.” She snarked, grinning at the scowl he sent her way.

“Tomorrow night you’ll find out the whys and hows, so for now you’re just gonna have to curb that frustration. Which by the way, what you’re feeling now, nothing compared with what you’re gonna feel tomorrow night when you have to do what I’m gonna ask you to do. For now, know that I care about you and we have a very serious talk coming up on what that means to us.”

“What are you gonna ask me to do tomorrow night?...Wait…there’s an us?” As Spikes’ look of worried confusion changed to hopeful expectation, Buffy couldn’t help but smile indulgently at him.

“Caught that huh?”

“Did you mean it Buffy? Please pet, I gotta know. Don’t play with me, not about that. I gotta know luv.” He turned to her, grabbing her upper arms gently. The desperation in his voice almost broke her heart.

“I hope so Spike. We have a lot to talk about first. Can you wait one more day?” she asked, trying to soothe him while allowing him to bring her into his tender embrace.

“For you luv, anything.” Was his quietly, fervent reply.

Snuggling deeper into his embrace, Buffy decided that the time was right for answering his earlier question. Moving her own arms, so that she was returning his embrace, Buffy looked up at Spike’s face and hesitantly started, “Um…about my request for tomorrow night?”

“Are you holding on to me like that because you’re worried about my reaction luv?” Spike queried, eyebrow raised, gently removing her from his embrace and moving so he could sit on the edge of the bed and look directly at her.

“No! Umm…well maybe, but it’s not like you don’t have a temper!” was her indignant reply.

“Get on with it Slayer.” He ground out, crossing his arms and clearly not falling for her deliberate attempt at distraction.

“Oh all right.” Crossing her arms petulantly and poking her tongue out at Spike as he raised his eyebrow in humor at her childish antics. “I can pretty much guess at the reactions to what I have to say tomorrow night. Xander is gonna lose it.” Spike waited patiently for her to continue. “I know how to handle Xander, but I also know how protective you can be. So I need you to give me your word, that regardless of what he says, or does, you will say and do nothing.” Buffy pleaded with him.

Spike stood up abruptly; walking away for a few steps, his back to Buffy, his whole body exuding tension. “Do you have any idea what you’re asking of me Slayer?”

“Let me guess. Your Demon is majorly wigging at the thought of being asked to not protect what he considers his mate, and William’s all ‘it’s just not right’ over the idea of not protecting ‘his love’.” Taking in his look of complete shock, she continued; “Spike, your Demon would be the first one to agree that The Slayer can take care of herself. Xander will not be facing Buffy, but a totally pissed Slayer and there is no way that you can convince me that, mate or not, your Demon thinks Xander is a threat to the Slayer! As for William, he will just have to understand that Xander's anger will be purely defensive, and relating to something that will be discussed tomorrow. Something that is totally Slayer related and not Spike related. With that in mind, and knowing that I totally get how hard this is for you, can you do what I'm asking?”

Walking back to her, Spike firmly pulled Buffy back into his arms. “Yeah luv, be bloody hard, but I'll do it, for you.” Sighing happily, Buffy allowed herself to be held. “You’re bloody amazin’ luv, bloody’ amazin’”.

“On that note, can I ask one more favor?” Buffy asked, smiling up at the bleached blond.

“You can ask pet.” Spike teased.

“Can I sleep here tonight? Will you just hold me?”

He tightened his hold on her, gently stroking her hair and back as he purred softly.
Chapter 3 by jackofspikes
Chapter 3.

When the L.A. crew arrived, it was to a very subdued crowd already in place, within the Summers’ home. Buffy ushered everyone into the living room and advised them to find a place to sit. Willow, Tara, Anya and Xander were on the couch. Dawn sat on the floor near the fireplace and leaning into Spike for comfort, Giles sat in one of the armchairs with Buffy standing next to him. Cordy looked around the room and quickly moved to the remaining armchair. Wes and Lorne grabbed chairs from the dining room and all eyes turned to Buffy.

“There are a number of things we need to go through. it's long and complicated. So before we start Dawn will get drinks for everyone, and Spike will get Giles and Wes notebooks and pens. Lorne there’s a sea-breeze in the kitchen with your name on it, and Spike made tea for the English people, apparently ‘bloody yanks have no idea how to make a decent cuppa.’” She quoted in a laughable English accent breaking the tension in the room.

Once everyone had resettled, Buffy began: “First matter of business. When I jumped from Glory’s tower, it was the fact that I was not bleeding that let the portal close. Once the portal closed I fell to the ground. I died on impact. I went to Heaven. I was finished, I was at peace.” She paused momentarily, looking around the room watching as her words sank in. “Now before anyone says anything, I ask that you all listen to me instead. You need the whole story.” She stated with finality.

“I was brought back, and while we will get into those details in a minute I have something to say first. Yes, Willow did the spell to bring me back, and yes, it was successful. But the Powers-That-Be changed what was going to happen. I’m from three years in the future, and I’ve been sent back to undo the damage that Willow’s spell has done and another matter that effects the L.A. crew. I have three years worth of memories to help us, and a few other little surprises, but quite frankly we are gonna need all the help we can get.

Some of what I have to tell you, you are not going to want to believe, especially you guys from L.A. That’s where you come in Lorne. For those of you that don’t know Lorne, he’s an empathic demon who has been gifted by the Powers to be able to read a person’s path through life. He is a white hat, and he is not the only demon out there that actively works on the side of good.

That being said, I think it’s important that we deal with things in the same order that they happened to me, OK?” Taking note of the nods of agreement, Buffy continued.

“First: My first resurrection, um…that’s not counting the time the Master killed me, maybe I should say my first resurrection after Glory.” Buffy smiled at her audience, while Dawn sniggered and whispered to Spike, “And there she is…Babbling Buffy!”

“Isn't it your bedtime Dawn?” Buffy retorted; her eyebrow rose in askance. After a mumbled apology from Dawn, Buffy continued.

“There are three points of importance here. One; the real reason the spell was done, two; the way the spell was done, and three; the consequences of the spell. I’ll tell you about the consequences first.” Buffy turned and faced the four Scoobies. “You used the urn of Osiris. You either didn’t research it or you didn’t care, but the urn of Osiris requires payment, a life for a life or something of equal value. The payment was not covered by the blood of a pregnant doe that you used in the spell. In my time, that payment was Tara’s life. Thanks to the Powers, this time Osiris has accepted something else. Now before you ask any questions let me just finish with the other consequences. Quite apart from the emotional damage you did to me by pulling me out of Heaven, bringing me back caused an imbalance which, unless we do something quickly, will allow the First Evil access to this dimension. In two years, there is a possibility that this dimension will be overrun with Turok Han. The Turok Han are the Vampires that normal Vamps have nightmares about.” Focusing a steely gaze on Willow, The Slayer asked; “Do you understand what you have done.”

Willow crumpled into tears while mumbling ‘I’m sorry’ over and over again and Xander decided to come in guns blazing, yelling over the top of every other voice. It was him that the Slayer turned to.

“Where do you get off speaking to her that way Buffy, she made a mistake, so what? Tara’s alive, new payment made. You certainly don’t look any worse for wear after supposedly being ripped out of Heaven, and if you really do come from three years in the future, then you must have stopped the First Evil, so just do it again. What’s the big deal? There’s no need to take it out on Willow. Just back the hell off.”

And the room erupted.

“Do shut up Xander.”

“Well, it’s official; you’re still a moron Harris.”

“Please tell me, this boy is not serious.”

It was Anya’s shocked exclamation of his name that finally caught his attention allowing Buffy to quickly take back control of the conversation. “You’re right Xander, Willow’s mistakes are no longer an issue and thankfully they will never be repeated. Tara is alive and this makes me happier that you can possibly understand. As far as I’m concerned I was ripped out of Heaven three years ago and time has made it easier to deal with the loss. As for the First Evil, there is a simple solution, that doesn’t involve you and so is none of your business. However, if, and it’s a big if, I had not been sent back by the Powers, the Buffy that would be here, would be deeply, severely depressed, and have no knowledge of the things to come. Tara would die. Willow would let the magic overtake her, kill a human and then attempt to destroy the world. You would lose an eye and Anya would die in the final battle against the First. So before you tell me to ‘back the hell off’ maybe you better be thanking the Powers for their intervention, 'cause now Tara won’t die, none of us have to face Dark Willow, you won’t become the butt of every pirate joke out there and Anya gets to live. There are always consequences with magic. You would think that lesson would have been learned by now, but it hasn’t, this was not a little mistake, this was a world ending mistake.”

“Buffy?”

“Yes Giles.”

“Why are you so sure that Willow will no longer have a problem with magic?”

“If you’ll bear with me I will get to that. But I need to tell you the rest of the information about the spell. O.K.?”

“Of course dear, please continue.”

“O.K. then; the way the spell was done. First, Tara and Anya, you need to understand, I don’t blame either of you for what’s happened. You didn’t have a choice. Both of you were under a compulsion spell.” Both girls focused accusing glares at the little redhead, who kept her head down and her eyes firmly on the floor.

“You also, are not aware of all aspects of the spell, because of a memory spell. But before you place blame you need to know that both spells were discussed and agreed on by both Xander and Willow. Willow didn’t do this alone. If you come over here, I can remove the spells.” While Buffy watched Anya and Tara, every other eye in the room was focused on her.

“You can remove a spell Buffy?” Giles’ query came from the shocked Watcher.

“Yep, it’s one of the nifty new upgrades, that will be explained later.” Buffy replied flippantly – successfully cutting off any further queries.

Turning to face the two girls, Buffy kissed first Tara, then Anya on the forehead. Momentarily paused by the return of their memories and the removal of the compulsion spell, Tara and Anya sat stock still. Anya reacted first. Turning slowly she stared at Willow and Xander, stating furiously; “Be very thankful that I am no longer a Vengeance Demon.” She slowly moved closer to Spike, and sat down on the floor next to him. Tara joined her, tears streaming down her face. She kept her eye’s focused on Buffy. Both, making their positions clear.

Buffy continued; “When I was brought before the Powers and everything was explained to me, I was shown every person in this room and Angel. I was shown everything including what you think and feel. I was shown what motivated both Willow and Xander to do the spell. I was shown the real reason why all the badness that I’ve had to live with for the last three years has happened, and I was given the right to choose the consequences for their actions against me.”

Both Willow and Xander looked horrified when Buffy spoke about motives, but relaxed when she didn’t elaborate. Both smiled at each other, when she said she had the right to choose retribution. Having watched their reactions, Giles was the first to ask what their motives were.

“Oh well, Xander here was under the delusion that if I wasn’t dead there might be a chance I would date him, and Willow didn’t want to be responsible for Dawn.”

“And the consequences?” Giles snarled, in full Ripper mode, clearly put out by the self-serving motives of the pair.

“Both are out of my life, and Willow has had her magic removed.” Turning back to the two shocked ex-Scoobies, “If you could leave now, the rest of us have a lot to get through.” Turning from them in absolute dismissal, she faced Tara and Anya, “I hope you two will stay, but while you decide how ‘bout the rest of us that aren’t leaving, grab some food.” Making her way to the kitchen, she purposely failed to see Willow and Xander leave.
Chapter 4 by jackofspikes
Author's Notes:
A/N: Beta'd by Always_jbj and Amy.
Chapter 4

”We’ve been talking Buffy,” Tara stated cautiously. At Buffy’s quietly encouraging smile, she continued. “The person, who took my memories, and forced me to participate in a spell that went against all of my beliefs, is not the person I fell in love with. I won’t be going back to her, its over.” A single tear tracked down her sad face.

“Oh, Tara, I’m sorry you’re hurting. You’ll still stay here, though, won’t you?” Buffy asked, compassion and sorrow clearly evident on her face and in her voice. She didn’t voice her opinion that Tara deserved so much better than she’d had lately with Willow.

With a tremulous smile Tara replied, “I’d like that, Buffy.”

“I too have decided not to go back. I deserve to get orgasms from somebody who loves me more than anyone else; I’m through being second choice to Xander Harris. I deserve to be first choice, don’t I?” Anya paused for Buffy and Tara’s agreement. “I know you don’t like me, and that Giles may not want me to work at the Magic Box anymore since he still owns it, but I really would like to stay and help, if you’ll let me.”

Bufy smiled at the former Vengance Demon. “I do like you Anya. I’d love for you to stay and help. Why would you think I didn’t like you? And why do you think Giles wouldn’t want you to work for him anymore? I mean without you managing all of the accounts and keeping track of what needed to be ordered and stuff, the store never would have been so successful!” Was Buffy’s baffled response.

Shaking her head, Anya sighed. "Oh it’s O.K. Buffy, Xander explained to me that none of you would want me around if I wasn’t with him. What with me being an ex-demon and you being the Slayer and all.” She replied.

“If he was still here, I’d kick his butt from here to next Tuesday!” Buffy muttered furiously to herself. “Anya, the only person that had a problem with you being an ex-demon was Xander. And I’m positive that I can speak for Giles and say your job is safe. I would welcome your help, and with your knowledge and experience, I honestly believe you are a fabulous asset to have on the team. Please, please, don’t let Xander speak for the rest of us,” she earnestly assured the ex-demon.

“And, Anya? …If you need a place to stay, there’s room here.”

“Thank you, Buffy.” Her gratitude showed as clearly in her eyes as did her pain.

*******

Buffy smiled at Spike, a teasing glint to her green eyes as she sat on the front steps, leaning back and watching him pace in the shadows behind her. “I’m proud of you, you know. Not one smart ass comment about any of this. And I know you must have about a hundred of them you're just barely holding back from saying.”

“You WILL be making it up to me Summers!” The bleached vampire ground out, restlessly lighting another cigarette in an attempt to sooth his rattled nerves.

“Ooh goody!” Was the cheerful response as she moved away.

“Minx.” Spike grinned in appreciation, watching her hips sway as she went back into the house.

*******

“Lorne? Can we talk?” Buffy asked the large green demon.

“Cupcake, talking to you would be my pleasure. Hearing what you have to say would be a thrill. The chance to read The Slayer was something I never dreamed of. You lead, I’ll follow.”

Buffy smiled slightly, unable to help giggling at Lorne's good hearted eagerness. If puppies were large, brightly dressed in expensive tailored suits, they'd be Lorne.

Making her way out to the back porch, demon in tow, Buffy sat down on the steps. Lorne followed her lead and made himself comfortable, lounging in one off the wooden chairs. He smiled reassuringly at her. “Lay it on me sweet thing.”

Buffy took a deep breath and started singing in a soft, sweet but shaky voice. “The sun’ll come out tomorrow, betcha’ bottom dollar that tomorrow, there’ll be sun. Just thinkin' about tomorrow, clears away the cobwebs, and the sorrow 'til there's none! When I'm stuck a day that's grey, and lonely, I just stick out my chin and Grin, and Say, Oh! The sun'll come out tomorrow, so ya gotta hang on 'til tomorrow, come what may. Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I love ya tomorrow! You're always a day a way!”

“Ohhhhh sweet mercy..........” The gentle demon whispered, tears forming in his eyes.

The two sat quietly for a few moments before the ever exuberant empath demon grinned at Buffy, “Well, that certainly explains why you didn’t want Angelcakes here Sweetness, Cordy’s gonna be pissed!”

“Oh Yeah.” Buffy grinned in agreement, accepting the silk hankie from his front pocket and wiping her eyes.

*******

“Spike?” Cordy stood in the doorway of the kitchen, studying the vampire who seemed to have finally calmed himself down a little.

“Cheerleader.” He nodded slightly to her

“Um… I just wanted to say thank you.” She moved closer, studying him. ¨

“For?” Replied the curious vampire with a cock of his head.

“For kidnapping Xander,” she stated blandly. Raising an eyebrow in amused confusion Spike waited for clarification.

“Well if you hadn’t kidnapped him and Willow, Oz and I would never have gone looking for them, and we wouldn’t have caught them in a lip-lock, and I might not have dumped his dumb ass!”

“Wait…Red cheated on the Wolf with Doughboy?” he responded incredulously.

“Worse…that idiot cheated on ME with Willow!” she replied indignantly.

“You’re more than welcome, Cheerleader ... ‘cause that’s just wrong!” Spike grinned shaking his head.

“You’re tellin’ me buddy.” Cordy shook her head, smiling at him. "Oh, and you still owe me for the outfit you ruined when I fell through the stairs of that dump you were staying in."

Spike looked at her for a moment. "You can't be serious!"

Cordy smiled, turning with a flip of her hair. "Oh, just try me, Buster. I have no problem having the PTB's give you a little zap to settle things if I have to."

Spike sighed deeply, shaking his head. "Bloody women. Never figure 'em out."

*******

Dawn sighed, flopping down next to her sister on the couch. “I set up the camp bed in mom’s room Buffy, but with Tara and Anya staying the night, that means four of us will have to share the bed.” Dawn whispered to her sister, not wanting Tara or Anya to feel that they were causing any inconvenience.

“Thanks Dawnie. But don’t worry about the bed thing, there’ll only be three in it. I’ll share with Spike.” Quickly placing her hand over Dawn’s mouth, Buffy was able to muffle her sister’s excited squeal.

“Not a word to him or anyone else, and save your excitement till later.” Dawn was warned with Buffy’s hissed whisper.

“You are the coolest sister ever!!!” Dawn smiled brightly, hugging Buffy tightly.

“And don’t you forget it!” Buffy smiled at her little sister, teasingly ruffling her brown hair.

*******

“Bit, why are you grinnin’ at me?” asked the disconcerted vamp as he stood at the stove cooking.

“Do I need a reason to smile at you, Spike?” Dawn asked in mock innocence.

“You always have a reason for everything you do, Nibblet. So why are you grinnin’ at me?” he growled at her.

“Is it wigging you out?”

“Yes.”

“Cool.” She grinned at him and swung out of the room.

“Bloody Summers women!” He grumbled under his breath with a smile. "How did you manage th' both of 'em Joyce?"

*******

“Buffy, I have to ask, where did you get these pork pies? They’re bloody brilliant. I haven’t tasted any this good since I was last in England.”

“Spike made them.”

“You’re joking?” Wes asked, in shocked disbelief.

“Nuh uh, the vamp’s been holding out on us. He’s the male answer to Martha Stewart!” Buffy smiled at the bemused ex-Watcher.

*******

Everyone slowly made their way back into the living room, as if guided by some unconscious collective. Giles took the opportunity to ask Buffy the question that had been burning in him since Willow and Xander’s unremarked-upon exit. “Regardless of how badly they’ve behaved, is it prudent to dismiss known allies at this time, Buffy?”

“Actually, Giles, the two problems that we have to face and the three that the L.A. crew have to face have simple solutions. Okay, when I say simple I mean they’re simple now that I know what they are. When I didn’t know, they sucked big time. So, no, in answer to your question, we don’t need them.”

“What exactly are the two problems we have to face, Buffy?” Giles responded.

“Three nerds and the First Evil,” she replied succinctly.

“And us?” Wes asked.

“Prophecy baby, hitchhiking evil higher-being, and Angel’s egocentric belief that he can take on the armies of the senior partners of Wolfram and Hart with three warriors and a dying human.”

“Oh, my…”

“Good Lord.”

“Bloody wanker.”
Chapter 5 by jackofspikes
Author's Notes:
Beta'd by Alway_jbj and Amy.
Chapter 5.

”Dare I ask where we start?” Giles asked, his voice slightly shaky as he busied himself with a quick clean of his glasses.

“The nerds. They were a huge problem for me, in my time. But they’re human, so instead of getting frustrated with my inability to kill them, I realised, after the fact, that I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by just handing them over to the police. They’re gonna steal a really big diamond from the museum. When they do, I’ll make an anonymous tip to crime stoppers and let the police handle the rest. First problem solved,” the Slayer stated with certainty.

“And the First Evil?”

“Okay, well that one’s a little more complicated. Stopping the First is easy, but the solution will cause another problem that’s gonna have to be addressed.” She caged around the answer.

“How, exactly, do we stop the First Evil?” Giles restated his question very specifically; knowing his Slayer was hiding something he was sure he wasn’t going to like.

“Soooooo not gonna answer that question yet, Giles. Trust me on this. That one has to wait till after the L.A. problems have been addressed.”

Now Giles was positive that he was not going to like her answer, however, he nodded his acceptance of her request.

“Prophecy baby?” Cordy prompted, happy to move on to matters that involved her.

“Right…. Well for those of you that don’t know the whole story ….Darla was Angel’s Sire. Angel dusted Darla to save me. Wolfram and Hart found out about Angel’s little happiness clause and decided to try to do something about it. They resurrected Darla. She was human. She played around with Angel’s head, drugging him then having sex with him, but he thought he was only dreaming. The plan was discovered and Angel tried to help Darla reform. He discovered that she was dying—she’d been brought back in the same condition she was in as a human, and she’d been dying when she was originally turned. Wolfram and Hart got hold of Drusilla and she turned Darla. Angel went a bit dark and locked Dru and Darla in a room with a group of Wolfram and Hart lawyers, and then went after Dru and Darla, burning them both but killing neither. To cut a long story short; Angel then went and had sex with Darla and afterwards he tossed her out.”

“He lied to me…He lied straight to my face.” Cordelia stated angrily.

“It gets worse, Cordy…She’s pregnant.”

“What’s that you say?” Giles asked, shocked.

“Oh…My…God,” Cordelia exclaimed.

“How is that even possible?” Wes asked, clearly confused.

“Prophecy baby. Oh, and Wes…if you come across a prophecy that says ‘the father will kill the son’…chuck it. It’s a fake. But check Angel’s blood supply ‘cause Wolfram and Hart are gonna get a hold of a sample of the baby’s blood and mix it in with Angel’s pigs blood.”

“What on earth would they hope to achieve by doing that?” was Wesley’s asked curiously.

Not surprisingly it was Spike who answered, his voice filled with disgust: “Bastards are tryin’ to make the sprog smell like food to Peaches.”

“Well that’s just…..” Wesley’s voice trail off in horror.

“Look, I’m not really sure how quickly this stuff is gonna start happening, but Wolfram and Hart are not the big problem. And before you argue with me on the danger of underestimating the ‘Big Bad Evil Law Firm’, trust me when I say, them we can beat. Your big problems with this are gonna be a time travelling demon named Sahjhan, a human named Holtz, and a vampire cult.” Buffy tried to explain.

”Did you say Sahjhan, Buffy? Because if you did… and depending on what you want to do I might be able to help.” Anya offered tentatively, still unsure of her place in the group.

“Well, according to the prophecy, this Sahjhan can only be killed by the prophecy child, but I’m thinkin’ that a baby might have a little trouble with that. So I figure we have to find a way to neutralize him until the baby is all grown up.” Buffy focused her hopeful gaze on the ex-demon.

“Oh, well that’s easy. The Muses.” Anya beamed with pride over her simple solution.

“Okay… Nup, still not getting it. The whoses? And what does it do?” Buffy asked guilelessly.

“Oh, um... the Muses are mystical beings who specialize in sanctuary spells. If you ask them to, they can modify the spell into a bubble form which can hold Sahjhan in suspended animation until you’re ready to kill him. You know the Muses, don’t you, Lorne? You can ask them.” Anya looked at the green demon expectantly, awaiting his reply..

“Sure do, precious; they did the sanctuary spell at Caritas. But it’s gonna cost mochas moolah, kiddies.”

“No it won’t. Get Peaches to ask ‘em. Wanker’s got an in with them. Stupid bints’ll do anything he asks them to!” Spike shuddered in disgust.

“Thank you both.” Wesley acknowledged both Anya and Spike. “Now, Holtz?” Turning, his question to Buffy.

“From what I understand, Holtz is a human from Angelus’ past. Someone who hates him with a passion. Spike may know more about him than I do.” Buffy looked at Spike in inquiry.

“Knew I’d heard the name before. But it’s before my time, pet. I’ve heard stories, so I don’t know much, but I’ll tell you what I know.

Holtz was like the Van Helsing of his day, not sure when that was exactly. He went after Peaches and his bitch of a sire, and they, in turn, set him up. They lured him away from home an’ then killed his family. Think they turned his daughter so he woulda had to dust her when he got home. He’s gonna want revenge and I can’t see the soul makin’ that much of a difference to him. And if Peaches has a kid….” He deliberately let his sentence hang.

The grim faces around the room spoke volumes. “There’s also a vampire cult that will be after the baby, but…vampire plus stake equals dust.” Buffy shrugged self-consciously at her comment. “I don’t know how we can help you with Holtz, but if you need a safe haven for the baby, you can bring it here…Oh and Darla will dust herself so it can be born. Now before you ask, the baby will be safe here for the same reason that neither the First nor Wolfram and Hart will be a problem. And again, I’ll get back to that later.”

“Now, what was next?” Buffy asked herself.

“The…ah… hitchhiking evil higher being?” Wes offered hesitantly.

“Right…um…Cordy? You know how you get visions, followed by brain crippling migraines?”

“Why didn’t you tell us it was that bad, beautiful?” Lorne was the first to ask.

“No big, it’s the price I pay for the visions. It’s not like it’s gonna kill me.” Cordy remarked, unconcerned.

“Actually Cordy, it will, unless something is done,” Buffy replied quietly.
Chapter 6 by jackofspikes
Author's Notes:
Beta'd by the fabulous chocolate loving Amy. Runner up of Saga Catagory Nominated at the Fang Fetish Awards, round three.
Chapter 6.

Settling the room down again after Buffy’s announcement of Cordy’s impending death, took a few moments. “Cordy, you have three options. One; do nothing and die. Two; wait till you’re contacted by an Ugly-ass Demon named Skip, who’ll offer to make you part-demon and therefore strong enough to handle the visions and, unfortunately, the hitchhiking evil higher being, or Three; let me help. Gotta add that if you let me help, the whole hitchhiking evil higher being…sooo not an issue.” Buffy said smiling.

“Let me guess….another nifty new upgrade that can’t be discussed till later,” was Cordy’s sardonic reply.

“Yep and nope. We can discuss it now. In fact we have to discuss it now, ‘cause we can’t move on to the next bit of business until you make your decision. Your decision alters the discussion.” Buffy smiled at Cordy.

“Oh…well then, what are you offering me?”

“I can make you part angel. Which means the hitchhiking evil higher being can’t hijack your body!”

“Wait…there’s hijacking now?” an outraged Cordy demanded.

“How can you make Cordelia part angel Buffy?” Asked Giles, focusing in on the idea of new powers for his Slayer.

Looking at Giles as if he’d grown a second head, Buffy asked; “You do remember who I am, right Giles? I mean I might know how to do stuff, but have you ever known me to know how I know how to do said stuff? I mean, seriously?”

“Quite right, yes of course, how silly of me.” Came his sarcastic response while Dawn and Spike quietly snickered in amusement.

“How does Cordelia being made part angel stop her body from being hijacked.” Wesley asked.

“Good question Wes, I’m all with the non-hijacking.” Cordy vehemently agreed.

“Simple. Pure evil can’t occupy the same space as pure good without balancing each other out.” Was Buffy’s simple response.

“So basically, what you’re telling me is that - to escape the mind-numbing agony that the visions give me; I can die, I can become part demon, or I can become part angel and becoming part angel stops the hijacking, right?”

“Right,”

“What a no-brainer.” Cordy replied, decisively. “Gimme my wings, Girl.”

“Spike, can you wait in the kitchen. I don’t want to take the chance of hurting you with the light.” Spike nodded and moved out of the way.

Buffy placed her hands in either side of Cordy’s head. Holding her position, Buffy pulled her focus inside. A soft glow appeared, surrounding Cordy’s head. As the light grew in size and brightness, it seemed to pulse and hum around both girls, shielding them from everyone else in the room. After a few minutes the light faded, slowly, until it disappeared completely. “How do you feel?” Buffy asked Cordy, softly.

“The pain’s gone.” Cordy looked shocked. “I’d forgotten what it felt like to live without it.” Smiling brilliantly, she hugged the smaller girl.

“Well then, other than telling you you’re stronger now, I just have a little piece of advice.” Buffy smiled at the ex-cheerleader, “If anyone ever offers you a chance to become a higher power, say no…trust me, boredom and Cordy are unmixy things!”

Glancing at the smiles around the room, Buffy suggested a short break. Thus giving everyone a chance to take in everything they had so far heard.

*******

After everyone resettled in their places, Buffy collected her thoughts, deciding how to start. Taking a deep breath, she began; “In my time, it was a couple of things combined that led to the final badness. The prophecy that Wes received, telling him that Angel would kill his child, was the start. But Cordy being turned into a half-demon also played a major part. So now that Wes knows that the prophecy is a fake and Cordy can’t be used by the evil higher power, everything has changed.

Angel’s child has an important part to play in the future, and while that future is no longer under threat, because of the changes we’ve made, it can’t be guaranteed. The problem now becomes Angel and his shaky soul. Can anyone here say, with any certainty, that the first time Angel hears his child call him ‘Daddy’, he won’t lose his soul? Can anyone say that even if he doesn’t lose his soul, that he won’t go all dark again if something bad happens?.”

“Buffy, surely you’re not suggesting that Angel needs to be removed because of what he might do?” Wes asked, concerned at the direction of the conversation.

“Yeah, the Powers wouldn’t agree to that. Angel’s their Champion. He’s on the road to redemption and he’s got the Shanshu Prophecy to fulfil.” Cordelia quickly added.

Buffy gave an imploring look to Lorne then answered as he moved to stand next to her, in support. “Actually, the Power’s wouldn’t have a problem with it, ‘cause Angel lost his Champion status when he became judge and jury to that group of lawyers. They may have been evil, but they were human, and Angel is being held accountable for their deaths.” At the shocked silence of the room’s inhabitants, Buffy quickly continued. “As to his road to redemption…if the main reason you’re fighting for good is because of some prize you might get, rather that because it’s the right thing to do, you’re not gonna get redeemed. And it’s the demon that needs to be redeemed, not the soul – I’m thinkin’ redemption is the last thing Angelus wants!”

After the few moments it took for the group to digest the information being given to them, Wesley hesitantly asked; “But he still has the Shanshu Prophecy to fulfil?”

“The Shanshu Prophecy is about a Vampire with Soul; Angel is a Vampire with a curse.” Buffy gently informed them. “The Prophecy was never about Angel…it’s about Spike.”

“WHAT??!!??” was Cordy’s unbelieving response.

“Well…that was unexpected” Wesley commented stoically.

“Don’t be ridiculous Buffy, Spike doesn’t have a soul.” Giles scoffed

“Cool. You have your own prophecy Spike!” Dawn said, with her usual exuberance.

“Bugger.” Spike muttered.

“Don’t call me ridiculous Giles;” Buffy snapped, “If you had listened you would have heard me say ‘a Vampire with soul’ and not ‘a Vampire with a soul’. A Vampire with Soul or Heart is a Vampire with the capacity to feel…deeply.

I apologize to you that I forced you to suffer though a year of torture, because of my self-centred and delusional belief that Angelus and Angel were two separate individuals. I’m sorry that you were forced daily to spend time with an individual that you held responsible for the death of your love all because of my case of puppy love. There are not enough words to express how deeply sorry I am that I forced you to endure that, but I can’t change what happened. And while Angelus’ evil actions certainly deserve your hatred, Spike’s don’t.

"You were the one that went to him and suggested that the chip gave him the opportunity for redemption. What you failed to see was that while the chip may have been the catalyst, it was his love for the Summers Women that was his inspiration. And while he may still hide behind his ‘Big Bad’ persona, it is now just a defence mechanism. He. Has. Changed. He has saved all of us many, many times and has been instrumental in stopping a number of apocalyptic situations. He even helped me stop Acathla, and that was prior to the chip. The chip didn’t make him change; it only hightened the possibility that he could. He stayed and not only did my job when I died, but he looked after Dawn constantly and kept the rest of you safe. He made sure Dawn had lunches and cooked her meals almost every night. He never received thanks. His efforts have never been acknowledged. He has constantly been berated, insulted and bullied while he should have been encouraged, helped and applauded. He is NOT Angelus. He is NOTHING like Angelus and quite frankly, in my opinion, he’s a better man without a soul, than Angel is with one. I’m proud to know him, you should be too.”

“Bloody Hell”, was the quiet response from the British contingent.
Chapter 7 by jackofspikes
Author's Notes:
Beta'd by the fabulous chocolate loving Amy. Fabulous banner by Karyn. Runner up of Saga Catagory Nominated at the Fang Fetish Awards, round three
Chapter 7.

“Spike, much as it pains me to admit it, I am embarrassed to say, Buffy is right: I have not given you the credit you deserve, and I fear that I may have made you suffer with my misplaced aggression. I do recognize that you have changed. And in all honesty I can say you have made remarkable strides, with absolutely no help from anyone. Please forgive me for not recognizing your quite wonderful achievements before now.” Giles earnestly told the Vampire.

“Can’t say as I blame ya’ Rupes, I can be a bit of a bastard at times.” Spike was self-depreciating but friendly, in his response.

“O.K. people, enough with the love fest, let’s get back to the important stuff…like say, kicking Angel’s lying butt!” Cordelia commented typically. “I’ll give him ‘no of course not, what do you take me for’, damn Vampire will probably expect me to play mom.”

Amused by Cordy’s continued mumbled grumbling, Wes was reluctant to change the room’s mood, but his question burned to be asked. “Was what we have discussed, the only reason you didn’t want Angel here Buffy?” Her reaction to his question left him with the amused thought; ‘So that’s what a deer trapped in headlights looks like’.

“Buffy?” Giles gently urged her on.

“Oh crap!...Do I have to Giles?” Buffy whined to her Watcher.

“Yes dear, I really think you should.” He replied, gently.

“Well fine.” She spat out, petulantly. Pointing at Spike she continued to look directly at her Watcher. “But if he gets pissed at me, it is sooo your fault, Giles.” Sharing a look of amusement, both men turned their gazes back to the agitated girl.

“This is really hard to explain, so please bear with me, Okay?

Apparently, every time a dimension goes mostly good or mostly bad, the Powers create a copy dimension to balance things out. In this case, the dimension went mostly bad, so a new dimension was created. It’s made as an exact copy of the original dimension, but only up until the event that started the imbalance.” She started.

“Willow’s Spell,” Giles clarified.

“No, it was the moment her spell succeeded that started the problem. In my time, the final end of balance came because of Angel’s war against Wolfram and Hart’s senior partners. When Angel took them on and lost, the world was completely over taken with demons. The black hats won the brass ring.”

“So the Powers-that-be created this dimension, to act as a counter balance?” Wesley asked.

“Exactly. But for it to actually balance things out and become mostly good, they had to upgrade me and send me to the creation point of this dimension. With the upgrades we can banish the First, Wolfram and Hart, and pretty much any other serious evil from this dimension. The problem is, I can’t access those upgrades yet, but when I do – Angel’s gonna pretty much lose it.”

“So when will you be able to access the …ah, upgrades, Buffy?” Giles queried.

“That’s up to Spike.” It was Spike's turn to look like a deer caught in headlights.

“The Powers chose Spike?” Giles asked intently.

“Well…um…no…I did, but they agreed. They really like him.” Buffy admitted grinning.

“What exactly am I meant to do, Slayer?” Spike ground out.

“Dawn…sit on Spike” Dawn quickly followed her sister’s direction. Amazing everyone with her speed. The usually clumsy teen moved with unusual grace for once.

“Slayer?!” Spike snarled, unable to dislodge the younger Summers sister without hurting her, he was forced to remain seated.

“Umm…You have to take me as your mate.” Buffy mumbled.

Doing an excellent impression of a fish out of water, it was clear Spike had heard her.

“I think you broke Spike, Buffy” concluded, an amused Dawn.

“I think you broke Giles too.” Tara commented, chuckling.

“Oh yeah…Angel’s gonna be pissed.” Cordy said with malicious glee.

“Lorne? Could you grab the scotch and a couple of glasses, please? It’s just in that cabinet in the dining room there.” Buffy asked the amused Pylian.

Giles quickly emptied the offered glass and indicated the need for an immediate refill. Spike, on the other hand, ignored the offered glass and grabbed the bottle instead.

“Right then. So what you are telling me, Buffy, is that the Powers-that-be sanctioned your mating with a soulless demon? No offence intended Spike.”

“None taken, Rupert.”

“We balance each other, Giles” Buffy replied with certainty.

“Don’t I get any say in the matter, Slayer?” Spike asked indignantly.

“Pfff…oh please. Like you don’t want it. You’re only pissed ‘cause William wants to be the one asking…well news flash William…you already did! And I still have the ring to prove it. And…and…and you paid off the mortgage so the whole dowry thing’s taken care of. You have nothing to complain about. Tell him Giles.” Buffy went from Slayer to spoilt child in two seconds flat.

“Dowry?” Giles asked, shocked.

“Have you perhaps considered, in your infinite blondness; that I may not be happy tying myself, for all eternity, to someone who doesn’t love me?” Spike spat out in cutting clarity, his accent far more reminiscent of Giles than his usual speech patterns.

“Who said I don’t love you?! Of COURSE I love you, you bleached moron? Why else would I chose you in the first place?” Buffy yelled indignantly.

“You’re bloody’ kiddin’ me Slayer! You chose to tell me that, for first time; the first bloody time, Buffy: in a room full of people and with your bloody sister sitting on me so I can’t move. Can’t get to you. Can’t kiss you. After waiting a bloody year for you to get your head out of your bleedin' arse and realise what I’ve been telling you along. ARE YOU BLOODY CRAZY WOMAN??!!??” He bellowed at her furiously.

Every person in the room froze at his tirade. “Nibblet?” Dawn moved off him.

Standing slowly, the Predator made his way over to the Slayer. Grabbing the surprised girl and throwing her over his shoulder, Spike angrily stalked towards the basement. “Entertain yourselves people. The little woman and I are gonna have us a little chat.”
Chapter 8 by jackofspikes
Chapter 8.

“Gotta say...that boy’s got style!” Lorne was the first to break the stunned silence that followed the blond duo’s dramatic exit.

“Hell yeah. Way to make a statement Spike!” Cordy added appreciatively.

“Nobody pisses him off quite like Buffy,” Dawn grinned at the group.

“Yes...well...I suppose we should be discussing some of the things we’ve learned. Perhaps see if we can come up with some suggestion on what to do about Mr. Holtz?” While attempting to pull everyone’s attention away from the two who had just left the room; Giles nervously proceeded to remove and clean his glasses.

“Nuh uh...I’m off to the kitchen to listen in on the dynamic duo!” Cordy replied as she followed words with actions. She was quickly followed by Dawn, Lorne and Anya. Giles, Wesley and Tara watched the mass exodus, looked at each other, then followed quietly after the rest.

*******

Placing his hands at Buffy’s waist, Spike lifted her up off his shoulder and carefully set her down to stand in front of him. Taking a step back, he crossed his arms and waited. His expression set, grim with determination.

Buffy quietly allowed herself to be manhandled. Head down, hands behind her back, one foot shyly kicking at the dust on the floor. Buffy looked up at him through her eyelashes. She flinched slightly at the look on his face. ‘It’s definitely time to pull out the big guns’, she thought to herself.

Buffy pouted.

Spike narrowed his eyes.

Buffy opened her beautiful green eye’s wide, displaying a picture of sad innocence.

Spike stiffened; his body tense.

Buffy’s bottom lip trembled.

Spike widened his eyes, in panic.

Tears pooled in Buffy’s eyes.

Spike rushed to gather Buffy into his firm embrace, “Come on kitten. Don’t cry…it’s not that bad, we’ll suss it out.”

‘Ha! And she’s still the champ’, Buffy thought, smiling inwardly and snuggling deeper into his comforting embrace. “But pet, if you think ya just got away with that little performance, you got another think comin’!”

Buffy scowled.

*******

“Well they’re definitely not having sex...we’d be able to hear them if they were!” Anya observed.

*******

“Did you mean it?” Spike quietly asked. His voice filled with insecurity.

Buffy leaned back, looking directly into his expressive blue eyes; “With all my heart.” She replied fervently.

Moving out of Spike’s embrace, Buffy held out her hand to him, leading him to his bed to sit down. Leaning against the headboard, he maneuvered her so that she lay within his firm grasp, her head resting comfortably on his chest. “The Powers told me of another consequence to Willow’s spell that I haven’t mentioned yet.” She began hesitantly.

“What’s that, luv?” He asked, cocking his head to the side.

“When Slayers die, they become warrior angels or guardians. When Willow bought me back, she not only bought back Buffy, but the Guardian rather than the Slayer. The main difference between a guardian, that hasn’t accessed their powers and a slayer, is that one’s immortal and the other, isn’t.”

“You’re immortal?” His face inscrutable, as he asked; “And how do you feel about that, pet?”

“Torn. Part of me is sooo angry at Willow. I mean, what if the Powers hadn’t told me…how long would it have taken me to find out? You died Spike: In the battle against the First. You sacrificed yourself so that I could live in the sunshine. We won because of you. You told me to live. What if I had done just that?! Lived the normal life with the normal guy. How long would it have taken to realize he was growing older and I wasn’t aging at all! What emotional damage would there have been.

Then there’s this other part of me, that’s jumping up and down with joy…I have this second chance. I don’t have to live without you; I don’t have to grow old while you stay young. I don’t have to watch you worry about my early expiration date. I get to spend eternity with the man I love.” She smiled shyly at him.

“Say it again.” He whispered huskily, his lips hovering over hers.

“I love you, Spike.” She replied, without hesitation.

“I love you too, Buffy,” and his lips found their way home.

They allowed themselves a few moments to wallow in the soft exploration of their first true kiss. Not magically induced kisses. Not a kiss given in gratitude. But a kiss shared in mutual love. For Buffy, it was a revelation.

Reluctantly pulling back from Buffy’s lips, Spike gently stroked her cheek as he, with adoration clear in his eyes, asked her softly; “So, what now pet?”

“Um…well…there’s still some stuff everyone needs to know, and some decisions that should really be made as a group. Then, after you’ve got all the relevant information, you have to decide whether you want to do this: Actually choose to become my mate. If you say yes, we have to decide when we’re going to do this and what happens after;" Buffy explained, just as quietly.

He took a moment to gaze into her eyes; then, taking an unnecessary breath, he got them both up and stated with finality, “well then, we’d best be off to finish the meeting.” Grabbing her hand, they made their way back upstairs.

*******

“Let me guess…it was the need for fluid refreshment that brought you all in here…and not the desire to hear a private conversation.” Buffy commented dryly, arms folded; eyebrow arched.

“Oh no, I wanted to hear the conversation.” Cordelia replied. Anya shrugged. "I wanted to hear if there were going to be any orgasms. Since I'm not getting any I might as well live through others who are getting them. And from what I've heard in the past, Spike gives very good ones." Anya's blunt remark caused a pause followed by a tension relieving laugh from the rest of the group.

“Come on people, let’s get a move on. Got things to do; a woman to ravish.” Spike leered lasciviously at Buffy.

“Shut up, Spike” Buffy laughed, swatting his arm playfully and heading back into the living room.

“Okay, let’s just recap, shall we.” Buffy looked around the room for agreement. “The Nerds; I know how to deal with them, but Giles can you make a note to get back to me on that. We need to discuss the possibility of helping two of them.” Making a quick note for himself, Giles urged her to continue. “The First – I’ll get back to in a sec. Prophecy baby. Okay, we know its coming; we know Darla will dust herself so the baby can be born...”

“Why would she do that?” Wesley interrupted.

“What? Dust herself?” At Wesley’s nod, Buffy replied. “Could you ask a question that’s harder to explain?” She asked, rhetorically. “Okay...I’ll try...here goes...um...well you see, the baby has a soul, and Darla will start to be affected by it or maybe she already is...um...well anyway, in the end she’ll decide that she loves the baby and she won’t be able to love it without a soul, so she’ll dust herself to protect the baby.” Buffy smiled, as if proud of herself. “Clear, Wes?”

“Oh, yes. Quite.” He assured her.

“Okay. Prophecy baby. Darla dust. Warned you about Holtz. Found solution for time traveling demon. Cordy’s safe. That leaves us the First, Wolfram and Hart and Angel.” Buffy recited, as if ticking off an internal list. “Okay, the First and Wolfram and Hart.”

Taking a moment to clear her thoughts, Buffy began; “To understand this you first have to understand the power structure of all dimensions. Imagine a ladder. Humans are on the first rung. On the next rung up you have supernatural beings; you have your magic users, your seers, your slayers and your demons. On the next rung you have those individuals that can communicate with the powers as well as receive communication; like Whistler or the Oracles. Now you need to go up a couple of rungs and you have the Powers. A few more rungs up and you have the Guardians and finally at the top you have the All Power or the Balance.

It’s important that you realize that the Powers represent good, evil and neutral, and the First and the Senior Partners of Wolfram and Hart are actually part of the evil faction of the Powers. The thing is; evil already has such a large place in this dimension that it was necessary to send me here in order to deal with it.”

“Buffy what are these guardians and All Power?” Giles asked, intrigued.

“Um...well a guardian would be what I am and the All Power what I call boss.” Buffy’s weak smile was greeted with silence.
Chapter 9 by jackofspikes
Chapter 9.

The silence was deafening. Giles polished his glasses. Wesley gazed longingly at Giles’s hands, clearly wishing that he hadn’t changed to contacts. Anya, Cordelia and Dawn sat staring; speechless, for once. Lorne and Spike quietly watched Buffy’s audience and Tara studied Buffy.

“That explains the changes in your aura.” Tara quietly commented.

With Tara’s observation, Giles snapped back into watcher mode. “Changes, you say?”

“Well yes, i...i...it’s brighter, m...m…more intense. It’s a good thing.” She concluded firmly.

“Yes…well…ah…right.” Giles took a deep breath, slowly pulled himself together. “What exactly is a guardian, Buffy?”

“Are you like, the boss of the Powers now?” Dawn excitedly asked. “Do you have really cool powers?”

“Well, it’s certainly going to be a lot safer being friends with you now Buffy” Anya noted, sagely.

“Why you?” Cordelia questioned, curious.

“Um…okay…well you see…it’s like this, when warriors die, they become angel warriors or guardians. The good guys get to rest, in peace, until they’re called on by the Powers. No idea what the bad guys do. This is totally rare and it’s only because of some majority big upset to the balance. On most occasions the Powers just do a little manipulation and the balance is restored. But they couldn’t do that this time because of me...or I should say Willow.

I’d already changed. I was already a guardian. So when Willow dragged me back, it wasn’t the Slayer that she brought back it was the Guardian. That upset everything. But the thing is, a guardian can’t access all their power on this plane. Unless a very specific set of circumstances occur.

Guardians HAVE to work in pairs. They have to represent both good and evil so that balance can be maintained. Their connection has to be complete, and that can only happen with a mated pair.” Buffy explained.

“But Buffy, you said you have to mate with Spike. He’s not a guardian?” Giles questioned.

Buffy turned to Spike, imploring him to understand; “I know I should have discussed all this with you privately. Please understand that you won’t be forced to do anything, it will be your choice. If you chose not to do this, we’ll find another way.”

“Get on with it, Slayer.” Spike instructed, stoically.

“Okay, okay...grumpy Vampire.” Buffy muttered before continuing. “If Spike chooses to become my mate, he will become a guardian too. He’ll still be a vampire, but he’ll be a sort of evolved vampire. He’ll lose the pesky sun allergy thing and he’ll be stronger and stuff. We get to find out about all the changes together. But, the important thing is, that together we’ll be able to focus our energies and expel all the really big evils from this dimension.

As to Cordy’s question about why I was chosen for this, it’s complicated. Like I said earlier, this type of problem is really rare. I’d already been brought back and as the only way a guardian can access their powers, on this plane, is if they mate with their equal on the other side and two warriors on opposite sides falling in love on this plane is unheard of...until Spike. You see where I’m going with this?”

“So you were chosen because you were convenient and Spike was in love with you. Go Spike!” Dawn punched his arm, giggling.

“Before anyone jumps in with questions, or more comments,” Buffy gave Dawn a pointed look, “This decision is Spike’s alone. I will NOT have you badgering him. He’ll make it in his own time.”

“Bloody hell, luv! You don’t honestly think I’d say no do you?” Spike rolled his eyes.

“Well…no, but I had to at least make it look like there was some choice involved.” Buffy said, giving him her best valley girl smile. Spike snorted in reply and everyone else laughed.

“Okay people, now that’s all been settled, let’s get on to more important matters. Like kicking Angel’s lying, butt.” Cordelia took control of the conversation with her usual forthright outspokenness. Her comment was followed by a series of snickers, guffaws, giggles and belly laughs.

After everyone had time to calm down, Giles ventured to ask Buffy the question that had been niggling at him for most of the evening: “Can I take it, Buffy…from some of your earlier remarks that you are perhaps…no longer, quite so enamored with Angel?”

A few of the others nodded their heads at his perceptiveness.

“I’ll be goin’ with a big yes on that one Giles. But before you ask why…not tellin’ most of it people. It happened in my time, or it was done to me personally. If he’s gonna be held accountable, it’s for what he’s done in this time. For me...the less I have to do with him, the happier I’ll be. Which leads me into the bit I can tell you; the bastard claimed me when I was trying to save his broody, over gelled hair life!” Buffy snarled.

“Bloody hell.” Ripper swore.

Spike growled softly, eyes flashing yellow for a moment as his demon riled at the thought of Angel claiming his mate and love.

“Yuh huh!” Buffy responded, indignantly. Pointing her finger at Giles and nodding her head in agreement to his anger.

“Good Lord...ah Buffy?” Wesley hesitantly requested the angry girl’s attention; “How is it possible for you to become Spike’s mate, if you have been claimed by Angel?”

Buffy’s slow smile would have been called evil, were she not the champion of Light. “Well see, here’s the thing; Angel left me, so technically Spike can override Angel’s claim on grounds of desertion. Angel can still feel everything through the claim. I can only feel his reactions. I can’t be compelled by him any more. So he’s gonna feel it when Spike and I mate and he won’t be able to do anything about it.”

“He could challenge the claim.” Anya countered.

“Pfff.” Buffy responded, waving her hand as if shooing a fly. “Spike could sooo take him, and that’s before the mating. Angel won’t even be a blip on his radar after we mate.”

“Pet, he doesn’t know that. Hell he doesn’t even know that you’re back among the livin’. First hint that he gets that you’re back an’ his claim is under threat, the Great Poof’ll be on his way to Sunnyhell.” Spike retorted decisively.

Buffy waved her hand dismissively. “Sooo not concerned with Angel confrontation.”

“I don’t understand, Buffy. Didn’t you say that Angel was going to be someone we should be concerned about?” Wesley replied, confused.

“You need to be concerned, Wes. Me, not so much.” She cheerfully informed him. “Look, you all know about the shaky soul. You all know about Mr. So-Not-On-Speaking-Terms-With-The-Truth. You should all know that he thinks that his is the only opinion that matters, ‘cause if you don’t...I sooo have the tee-shirt for that one. All you need to do is keep him on a tight leash. Cordy should be able to handle that just fine.” Buffy acknowledged the ex-cheerleader.

“Damn straight, Barbie!” Cordelia retorted, emphatically.

Buffy grinned in response then, sighing and stretching, said; “It’s late. Why don’t we all call it a night, and tomorrow we can have a bit of an impromptu party to celebrate the mating before Angel gets here.”

*******

Buffy and Dawn helped everyone get settled. As the girls were saying good night to the delightful demon on the couch, the phone rang and the answering machine clicked in; “Dawn, Dawn, are you there...I just got a call from Willow and Xander, telling me Buffy’s back and that she came back wrong. Don’t panic. I’ll be there tomorrow and I’ll fix whatever the problem is.”

Spike snorted, punching delete on the machine with a grumbled, "Bloody wanker....." With a quick turn at synchronized eye rolling, both girls grinned in unison and bade each other goodnight. Buffy smiled at Spike. "Geez, possessive much?" Smirking he pulled her against him, kissing her slowly. "You best believe it, Cutie."
Chapter 10 by jackofspikes
Chapter 10.

Once Buffy made herself comfortable, she glanced over at the normally verbose Vampire. Sitting against the headboard, she watched him as he methodically moved around the room lighting candles, before turning the overhead light off. Softly, she voiced her concern, “What’s wrong, Spike?”

Ruefully smiling at her, he shook his head, “It’s nothin’, luv. Just me bein’ a git, is all.”

Holding out her hand to Spike and waiting until she was back in the comfort of his arms, Buffy tried to get him to open up to her. “Talk to me, tell me what you’re thinking. I can do the listening thing. I’m all about the listening thing, the queen of the listening thing even.” She babbled playfully, gently encouraging him to voice his concerns.

“Really it’s nothin’ luv. It’s just…it’s like a dream come true, yeah…I keep waitin’ to wake up.” Spike watched her hair cascade over his fingers and absentmindedly kissed the top of her head, before continuing. “I’ve wanted this for so bloody long, Buffy…and then you were…gone…and now your back and you’re tellin’ me everything I ever wanted to hear. You’re tellin’ me you love me and no one’s ever…an’ it’s all happenin’ so bloody fast, luv. Guess I’m still just tryin’ to play catch up, you know.”

“I know its fast, Spike and I know that I must seem like a totally different Buffy to you, but I’m not. I’m just your Buffy, with three years more experience and a whole heap more knowledge. I’m here and I’m not going anywhere. It’s not a dream. It’s real. It’s really real Spike. I do love you. I could tell you about how my feelings for you developed, or how I lived in denial about them and basically let my friends opinions be more important than mine. I could cater to your ego and tell you how the only times I ever got a happy with Riley was when I fantasised about you. You think it’s happening too fast, but really, it’s been a long time in coming.” She told him, earnestly.

Spike smirked at her, “You thought of me while you were shaggin’ Captain Cardboard?”

“That whole speech…and that’s what you got your attention.” She laughed as she shook her head in mock disbelief.

“Well…yeah.” Spike grinned, unrepentantly.

“So I’m guessing telling you that I didn’t even get a happy with Angel, would probably make your day, huh?” Buffy commented, sardonically.

“Hell yeah!” Twisting his body, so that his top half covered her, Spike grinned. “You know you’ve given me a mission now, don’t you kitten.”

“Ooh goody.” She matched his grin, meeting his lips half way.

The playful nips, nibbles and sucks they shared with each others smiling lips, soon ignited their mutual passion. Lightly running his tongue over Buffy’s bottom lip, as if asking permission for entrance into her willing mouth, and bringing his hand to gently hold her head in place, Spike deepened their kiss.

Feeling her fingers move along the nape of his neck and delve into his hair, Spike drew back and looked into Buffy's eyes. Ghosting his fingers down the side of her face, he whispered, “So beautiful.”

Bending down to recapture her lips, his hand slid languidly down her back and his gentle pressure had their bodies melting together in a perfect fit. Moaning softly into her mouth as she lightly ran her nails down his back, he moved his lips to press soft kisses over her jaw to then nibble gently on her earlobe. Encouraged by her gasp of delight, Spike boldly moved his hand under her top, caressing the soft skin of her back. Following his lead, Buffy took things a step further, pulling at his t-shirt in an effort to remove it. As he quickly moved to accommodate her, Buffy swooped in, gently biting and kissing his nipples. Spike groaned lustfully in response.

As her own top seemed to disappear, Spike grinned; “Turn about’s fair play, pet.” He quipped before latching on to one of her now exposed nipples. Buffy giggled then moaned as a bolt of lust shot straight to her center. Alternating licks, sucks and nibbles to keep her pleasure levels elevated, Spike deftly removed the last remaining barriers to her golden flesh.

Ghosting his hand sensually along one soft, silken thigh and up over the round swell of her hip to the small of her back, Spike pulled her closely to him highlighting his own aroused state.

Moving slowly down her body, kissing exposed skin as he moved, his hands gently nudged her thighs apart. “God kitten, you smell divine.” Nibbling her folds, his tongue lapped at her eagerly, watching her face through hooded eyes. Watching as she writhed, moaning at his touch.

“Oh God,” she gasped.

He sank two fingers within her. “You’re so wet,” he moaned. “So bloody tight.”

“Spike…oh God…please.”

“I know what you need, sweetness,” he murmured, drawing her clit into his mouth. His tongue swirled around it as his fingers thrust deeply into her. He was drowning in her, losing himself in her scent. She was so responsive to him. He couldn’t get enough of her. Her taste rolled on his tongue. His fingers were inside her, stroking her to perfection. “You taste like fine wine,” He told her, withdrawing his fingers from her passage and replacing them with his tongue. Placing his hand on her pubic bone, his fingers moved swiftly to her abandoned clit, massaging her need.

“Oh God!” she screamed, arching her back in an effort to get closer. Her hands flew to his head, her fingers clutching at his hair as she held him to her. He lapped at everything she gave him, savouring her juices and glorying in the ambrosia that he was gifted with.

As Buffy’s breathing returned to normal, Spike prowled up her body. “So, mission accomplished, pet? Or do you need more convincing?” He grinned.

“Pants. Off. Now!” Buffy mock growled at the cocky vampire. Laughing, he followed her demand.

Giggling like a pair of naughty school children, the two resettled themselves under the covers. However, the feel of skin touching skin had their laughter ebbing as their passion flowed.

Tongues battled as hands explored. As Buffy drew back in need of breath, Spike moved to the soft skin of her throat, worrying the marks of his Grandsire. Unable to wait any longer, Buffy reversed their positions, hovering over him, she pleaded; “I want you inside me, Spike. Please, I need to feel all of you.”

Never taking her eyes off his lust filled blue ones, she slowly lowered herself onto his turgid length. The heat of her passage caused his eyes to roll back in his head. Tears pooled in her eyes as she allowed herself to feel him. A feeling of home, safety, and peace that she’d been missing for so long.

Spike rejoiced in the warmth he felt as her body surrounded him. It was the most amazing sensation he’d ever felt. He felt like he’d come home.

Using her Slayer muscles, Buffy began a rhythmic squeezing that left him gasping for air he didn’t need. “Bloody hell, Slayer. Where did you learn to do that?” He looked up in awe at her as he unconsciously thrust back with every squeeze.

Flipping them over he continued his thrusts from above, as he whispered to her his desire to make her feel good. Twisting his hips, he looked for and found the little spongy mass of nerves that soon had her moaning and thrashing her head.

Moving his lips to the familiar bite marks on her neck, he gently sucked at them, slowly drawing the blood to the surface as he continued thrusting into his love. Waiting for the instinctual moment, he shifted into game face, and then gently allowed his fangs to pierce her tender flesh, bringing wave after wave of orgasmic bliss to the writhing woman beneath him. Taking three strong pulls of her blood, and moaning at the taste that filled his senses, he removed his fangs and, shifting out of game face, looked directly into her eyes, he whispered; “Mine. My Buffy. My Mate. My eternity.”

Crying out his own orgasm, Spike’s eyes widened in shock when he felt fangs enter his own neck, covering Drusilla’s bite. Streams of milky fluid emptied into her womb, as he felt his own blood being pulled. “Mine. My Spike. My Mate. My eternity.”

“Yours.” They recited in unison. As they felt the connection of their bond snap into place, darkness overcame them.

*******

“Bloody buggerin’ fuck, Slayer. Where the hell, are we and WHAT THE HELL, AM I WEARIN’?” Spike bellowed, in horror.
Chapter 11 by jackofspikes
Author's Notes:
he term Wonder Twins for Xander and Willow was coined by and will be used with the permission of AtheneHahn.
Chapter 11.

In the wee small hours of the night on Revello Drive, a sleeping green empath demon was rudely awakened by loud and insistent hammering on the front door. Slowly sitting up, he was chagrined to note his relief that he wasn’t going to be the one answering the door when a disheveled and disgruntled watcher marched down the stairs.

Mumbling all the while, Giles unlocked the door and swung it open. “Pray tell what you are doing here at four a.m., Angel?” He all but snarled at the hulking brunette vampire.

Instinctively stepping back from the furious watcher, Angel replied earnestly; “I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t important Giles. You know how much Buffy and I mean to each other. I wouldn’t cause her pain by choice.

Willow and Xander called me, I know she’s back and I know she came back wrong. I’m here to help, Giles.” Giles mentally rolled his eyes and bit back his anger at being unnecessarily woken.

“Yes Angel, Buffy is indeed back. No, she didn’t come back wrong, and therefore, does not require your assistance. In the future, perhaps you could try to visit at a more appropriate time, thus ensuring that you don’t wake people out of a sound sleep for no bloody reason.” The watcher hissed.

“But Giles, she has to have come back wrong…she mated with Spike!” Angel responded, urgency intermingled with whine.

Giving the vampire a hard glare, Giles mildly replied, “She wasn’t mated to Spike when she went to bed tonight, Angel. Why would you think she was?”

“Ah…Cordy has visions…”Angel stumbled.

“Yes…and?” Giles replied, his features carefully schooled.

“Well, that’s how I know.” Angel stated cautiously.

“Because, Cordelia has visions?” At Angel’s hesitant nod of conformation, Giles clarified, “So you are saying that Buffy and Spike are mated and you know this because Cordelia has visions. One would assume, she told you this. Is that correct, Angel?” Angel again nodded in conformation.

“When did she have this vision, Angel? And when were you informed?” Giles’ bland demeanor was beginning to unsettle the large vampire.

“Ah…just after Xander and Willow’s call.” Giles just stared at the vampire for a moment.

“Good night, Angel” he said with finality, as he moved slightly to the right to reveal an extremely pissed off Cordelia Chase.

“Cordy, I…” was all he got out before the door slammed in his face.

*******

“I’m wearin’ a skirt, Slayer! Don’t tell me to bloody well calm down! I’m wearing a bloody skirt!” The blond vampire panicked.

“I’m telling you, it’s just what they wear in this realm. There’s no need to get all upset.” Buffy patiently explained to her agitated mate.

“IT’S A BLOODY SKIRT!!” He cried out in dismay.

“And it looks lovely on you too, dear”

Buffy giggled and Spike let out a very unmanly ‘eep’ as he jumped behind Buffy, placing his hands on her shoulders as if to hold her in place.

“Hi, mom.”

*******

Giles reentered Buffy’s room, scratching his head as he yawned, his body exhausted. As he neared the bed, he stiffened, the hairs on the back of his neck standing. Giles got the distinct impression he was being watched.

Turning slowly towards the window, where a large dark shadow appeared, Giles took a step back in momentary trepidation. Breathing out a sigh of relief and irritation when he realized the shadow was Angel.

Taking note of Angel’s slightly green complexion, the painfully sick little chagrined smile on his face and the pathetic little wave he was giving the watcher. Giles deftly closed the curtains before making his way back to bed.

“Pillock.” He grumbled, tossing a blanket over the window for good measure.

*******

“So...let me get this straight...you die. You go to heaven, but you make such a noise about the Powers-That-Like-To-Mess-With-Everybody, that you get booted upstairs to see the Big Boss, who promptly decides that you have great spirit and hires you to be Its bloody gopher. Making you act as go-between for Itself, the Powers and the Guardians.” Spike summarized, still safely sheltered behind Buffy.

“Yep.” Joyce grinned. Spike mused that her resemblance to her daughter, in giddy high school mode, was truly amazing.

“And you’re here to tell us what’s goin’ on.” Spike questioned further; “With none of that cryptic rubbish, that helps no one.”

“I am...but first, I want a hug from my favorite vampire.” She opened her arms, expectantly.

“But Mum...I’m in a bloody skirt.” Said vampire whined, dropping his head onto his mate’s shoulder, in embarrassment.

*******

Angel stalked the halls of the old mansion. Stopping as an idea would come to him, then shaking his head angrily and resuming his walk as each idea was dismissed. The same questions and thoughts playing over and over in his head: How did Buffy get back? Where was she? What happened to make Buffy come back so WRONG? She’s mated to Spike! The claim had always worked, so why didn’t it work this time? Why did Giles say there was nothing wrong with Buffy? It’s Spike! Spike’s an evil soulless demon, don’t they KNOW that?! It’s Spike!

Angel froze in a moment of epiphany. “It’s Spike, Spike did this. I KNOW Spike did this. God DAMMIT SPIKE. I’ll kill you for this.” Angel’s rage knew no bounds. Motivated by fury, he searched the mansion for weapons.

*******

“Everybody has a path to follow and while you may not understand the larger picture, the part each of us play, is important.” Joyce began. “Most of the people in the original dimension didn’t get the opportunity to complete their parts because of Angel’s actions. It’s now your job to see that those people get their chance.”

“How, mom?” Buffy asked.

“By working together to ensure that nothing evil gets an opportunity to take over the new dimension too. Balance must be restored.” Joyce told them, gravely. “You’re abilities can easily be focused to do this, but you need to watch for potential problems.”

“So we just like, hold hands and focus?” Buffy interpreted, disbelieving.

“More likely, focus through the bond, luv.” Spike smiled at his mate, Joyce nodding in agreement.

“Okay...sooo what I meant.” Buffy retorted, disgruntled.

*******

“Angel, are you here?” Willow called out loudly, on entering the mansion.

“Of course he’s here, his car’s out front and it’s daylight, isn’t it.” Xander snipped. “The question is, why is he here? Shouldn’t he be at Buffy’s, fixing what ever’s wrong with her? It’s why we called him in the first place.”

“What happened?” Angel ground out from behind them.

Jumping in unexpected shock, both spun around to face the fuming vampire. Willow’s ‘eep’ drowned out by Xanders response, “Aargh…don’t DO that, deadboy. Haven’t you got a bell you can wear, or something?”

“Don’t call me that, Harris.” Swinging between irritation and anger, Angel then repeated his original question. “Now, what happened?”

“It’s not our fault. We thought Buffy was in a hell dimension, so I did a spell to get her out and it worked. It really worked and she came back but she was all angry and mean and really big with the meanness and all we did was try to help and now I have no magick and I can’t fix it, because that would be of the good, cause it’s all really bad and…and…and Buffy was really mean.” Willow finished off, breathing heavily.

“Okay…so you did a spell to bring her back. So what exactly, did Spike do to mess up the spell?”

“Spike? The bleached menace wasn’t involved with the spell. He didn’t even know that we were doing it.” Clearly confused at where Angel had come up with the idea of Spikes involvement, Xander took a moment to think. Jumping up an down and from one foot to the other while pointing his finger out towards Angel, Xander disclosed his epiphany , “Ooh…ooh…ooh, he was all quiet and not insulting and Spike NEVER misses a chance to be all insulting. He must know something. He probably did something. I KNEW that bastard couldn’t be trusted!”

*******

After discovering all the new abilities that they now shared, the two champions were returned to their bed. Giving her naked mate a slow once over, Buffy asked innocently, “So, would you have preferred mom to see you in what you had on, or what you don’t have on now?”

Spike’s look of horror was a Kodak moment.
Chapter 12 by jackofspikes
Author's Notes:
Sentences in single parentheses denote thoughts. Thank you.
Chapter 12.

Stepping into the kitchen, from the basement, a perky Buffy was visually assaulted by the sight of her watcher. Cocking her head to the side, she commented, “Giles…you look in serious need of some caffeiney goodness.”

“Yes, well, you would too if you’d travelled half way around the world, only to have your sleep disrupted by a seriously disturbed vampire.” He grumbled, nursing his tea.

“Is that seriously disturbed as in upset or as in insane?” Buffy quipped, with a grin.

“Yes” The Watcher deadpanned.

The sound of footsteps pounding up the basement stairs was quickly followed by the door being flung wide and a panicked Spike, gripping hold of the door frame, looked wildly around the kitchen and finally settling his eyes on his mate. “I’ve got a heartbeat!” The shocked vampire whispered. “I’m not s’posed to have a heartbeat.” He got louder the more agitated he became. Turning to Giles, he pleaded; “Tell her, Watcher. Tell her I’m not s’posed to have a heartbeat. I’m a bleedin’ vampire. Vamp’s don’t have heartbeats.”

“Oh yes, quite right you are, vampires do not have heartbeats.” The sarcastic watcher replied. Then turning to Buffy, he factiously demanded of her; “Do something about that immediately, Buffy.” Raising an eyebrow, in sardonic humour at the vampire, he wasn’t at all surprised at Spike’s reply.

“Ha bloody ha, watcher. You’re a regular laugh riot mate.”

“Oh Pfff...what are you complaining about, you got a heart beat...I got fangs.” Buffy reminded the vampire, dryly.

“Fangs, you say?” the astonished watcher, asked.

“Oh, like you didn’t enjoy it too.” Spike snarked at Buffy, leering.

“Er...fangs, Buffy.” Giles attempted to bring the conversation back to his original question before it spiralled completely out of his control. “Can you display them at will?”

“Well I couldn’t when I tried to see them in the bathroom earlier.” She shrugged, unperturbed.

“I see. Well perhaps you need Spike to be in game face when you try.” Giles looked at the vampire expectantly.

When, after a few moments of trying, Spike was still unable to morph into game face, he turned accusing eyes to his mate. “Somethin’ you want to tell me, luv?”

“Um...it’s not my fault?” Buffy replied in a small voice.

“Don’t panic.” Giles soothed. “We’ll figure it out.”

“What’s to figure out? Spike’s got a heartbeat, right?” Anya questioned as she and the rest of the girls moved into the kitchen.

“Well yes, but...”

Interrupting the Watcher, Anya continued; “Well, there you go. He’s got plenty of warm blood pumping through his veins. His demon doesn’t need to come out. He’ll probably only come out now when Spike needs to renew the claim. That will be why Buffy has fangs too. You only need them for the claim.”

“Bloody hell. What if needed to feed.” The astonished vamp complained.

“Well you only need human food now; to sustain your body.” Anya explained patiently.

“Thank you Anya, I believe that explains it all quite nicely.” Giles smiled widely at the ex-vengeance demon, making a note in his ever present notebook.

“Here Spike, eat this.” Dawn grinned as she handed him a chocolate brownie.

“What’s this?” The confused vampire looked around at the room’s inhabitants.

“It’s a brownie, doofus. You eat it.” Dawn replied, rolling her eyes.

“Why?” Spike asked suspiciously.

“Just eat the damn thing, blondie.” Cordelia added her less than patient demand.

“Fine.” Spike snarled at his audience, taking a large bite of the offered treat. “Bloody hell.” He whispered, in awe. “That’s the best thing I’ve ever tasted...” He trailed off as he glanced at the raised eyebrow of his mate. The look on his face changed from awe to calculating as he stalked over to Buffy and grabbed her hand. Dragging the giggling girl towards the basement door, he commented over his shoulder; “Back in a bit, folks.”

“They’re going to have sex.” Anya observed sagely, as the door was firmly closed.

*******

“Um...I don’t think Spike was responsible for what ever went wrong, guys.” Willow began hesitantly. “He looked as shocked as we did, by what Buffy was saying.”

“It’s alright, Willow. Don’t worry about it. I know Spike. This is just like him. He always wants what’s mine.” Angel condescendingly tried to placate the young redhead.

“What are you talking about, dead...er...Angel? What’s Spike after that’s yours?” Xander felt like he’d left confused three stations behind.

“Buffy. Bastard mated with her last night.”

While Willow’s shocked gasp indicated that she knew what Angel was talking about, Xander was still in the dark. When the light finally went on for him, he responded swiftly. “No...no...no,no,no,...no no. You are not saying that they...or that he...Buffy would never…are you sure? Wait...don’t answer that. Let me go back to Egypt, the weather is so nice there.”

This time Angel was the one confused.

*******

“OH...GOD...YES, YES...YES! RIGHT THERE...SPIKE!”

“Right then. Shopping?” The flustered watcher asked then made a hasty exit from the kitchen. Tara followed closely, grabbing a complaining Dawn as she went.

“Popcorn?” Cordelia suggested to Anya, as she moved to the cupboard.

“Popcorn.” Anya agreed as she made herself comfortable at the counter.

*******

“Look, the claim’s not a problem. I’ll just challenge Spike for the claim and take it over. The real problem is going to be discovering what he did to Buffy.” Angel informed the other two.

“Why not just stake Spike? Won’t that solve all our problems?” Xanders’ curiosity was masked by his gleeful enthusiasm. The prospect of finally being rid of the bleached menace was making him all kinds of happy.

“We don’t know what type of mating claim it is. If I stake Spike before taking over the claim, it might kill Buffy. Besides, I think it’s high time the little bastard received another lesson from his Grand Sire.” Angel’s minds eye clearly visualising the upcoming encounter with glee. “Then I’ll stake him and maybe that will reverse what ever’s been done to Buffy.”

“And if it doesn’t? Or what if by gaining control of the claim, you get happy and you go all ‘grr’ and we can’t give you your soul back because...hey...no magick.” Willow asked, worrying her bottom lip and wringing her hands.

“The soul won’t be a problem and if breaking Spikes claim and then dusting him, doesn’t break what ever spell is on her, I’ll call Wes; he’ll know what to do.” Angel replied, dismissing Willow’s concerns.

“You do know that Wes is already at Buffy’s, don’t you Angel?” Willow was surprised and confused, at Angel’s apparent lack of knowledge.

“What? Wes is there too?” It appeared that Angel was also surprised and confused. He had mentally shrugged off Cordelia’s presence in the house the night before, vowing he’d handle that problem later. ‘I’ll just buy her something, that always works’ he had thought at the time.

“Yeah, Wes is there. So’s Cordy and some, creepy green demon.” Xander offered, with a shudder.

“Lorne’s there too?” Angel was astonished. “They didn’t say a thing to me. What the HELL is going on over there? Why didn’t they tell me they were coming here?” Getting more agitated by the minute, Angel started pacing again.

“Whoa evil dead, when did you learn new facial expressions.” Xander joked.

“Sorry, Angel I thought you knew. I mean...they work for you right. So I just assumed...but...um...oh boy...you’re probably not gonna want to hear this, but...um...well...ah...I heard Buffy on the phone. She didn’t want you to know. She asked them not to tell you, but I didn’t think they’d actually listen to that...she said you’d just complicate things.” Willow fearfully whispered the last phrase, as Angel’s facial expression became stonier with each word she uttered.

“And that didn’t tell you she was under a spell? Buffy would never try to keep her resurrection a secret from me. She’d never shut me out like that.” Angel bit out in irritation, but calmed by the knowledge that it was definitely a spell. ‘I’ll get my Buffy back’, he thought resolutely.

“We did call you, Angel.” Willow huffed.

Angel took a moment, appearing to mentally gather himself. Standing tall and oozing confidence, he turned to Willow and Xander and announced; “Let’s go. I’ll deal with Spike. It’s time to get my Buffy back.”

“Er...you do realise it’s still light out, right?” Xander checked.

*******

“So, you just touch the door together and no one can get in without an invitation?” Dawn asked her sister in conformation.

“Yep.” Buffy replied, popping her ‘p’. “Not just vampires, either. All demons. Humans too. Unless Spike or I invite them in, there is no entrance to casa de Summers!” Buffy grinned in delight at her sister. “They can’t even throw things into the house, or set fire to it or anything, it’s a true barrier spell and there’s no need for the stinky herbs or the lame Latin words.”

“Cool.” Dawn grinned, but her smile faded after a moment’s thought; “Or, it would be if I was a part of it too! How come I can’t be one of the people to invite people in...I live here too.” She demanded though her pout.

“Sorry, Dawnie.” Buffy smiled in momentary commiseration with her petulant sibling. “That’s just the way it works...and like I’d trust you anyway!” She snorted. “Can you say Harmony, Dawn?!”

“But, that was an accident.” Dawn whined at her retreating sister’s back.
Chapter 13 by jackofspikes
Chapter 13.

Deciding on a picnic lunch in the backyard, to celebrate Spikes new sun allergy-free state, the whole group worked together to lessen the load on chef Spike. Lying on the grass, he let his head rest in Buffy’s lap while she gently ran her fingers through his hair, deftly removing the gel and releasing the soft unruly curls. He basked in the warmth of the sun, as it seeped into his bones, for the first time in more than a hundred years. Lulled by his happiness and purring in contentment, Spike was, at first, unaware that he was being spoken to. “Hey kitty...ya with us?” Dawn giggled.

“Huh?” he inelegantly replied, opening one eye and fixing it on Dawn.

“I asked if you were with us...what with the purring and all.” Dawn grinned at her reposing friend.

Lifting his head slightly and looking at his chest in surprise, Spike cringed in embarrassment. “Bugger.” He softly commented.

“Hey! Leave the purring guardian alone. I like it.” Buffy grinned as she protected her, embarrassed, mate.

“The curls are sweet too.” Tara lightly commented, her eyes merrily dancing.

Spike abruptly sat up, his hand covering his curls. Narrowing his eyes in displeasure at Buffy, he mustered up as much dignity as he could, stood and silently made his way inside.

Sharing amused glances, everyone laughed.

“BUFFY! Get your arse up here...you have to see this!” Spike’s excited voice floated down from upstairs.

“Reflection?” Buffy checked with Anya.

“Reflection.” Anya confirmed.

As Buffy closed the kitchen door after her, she failed to notice the blanket covered vampire, smoking his way to the shaded back porch, or the two humans who hesitantly followed the vampire into the back yard.

Throwing off the blanket and stomping on it while patting his hair, Angel ensured that nothing was on fire. Drawing himself up to his full height while projecting a pose of benevolent magnificence, Angel imparted his words; “Where’s Buffy? I’m here to save her.”

Momentarily nonplussed by the gales of laughter that followed his declaration, Angel tried another tactic; “I’m challenging Spike for his claim. That way when I stake him, Buffy will be safe and out from under the evil influence of what ever spell he has her under.”

The laughter resumed, interspersed with a variety of comments.

“You appear to be under several misnomers, Angel.” Wesley commented, dryly.

“Yeah...like the one where you think you could beat Spike...delusional much.” Dawn scoffed.

“So Buffy’s under a spell now is she? Ah...let me guess...another vision that I don’t remember having?” Cordelia mocked, still really pissed about the early morning visit.

“What exactly have you been told, Angel?” Giles asked, tiredly.

“Now I know where I’ve seen you before!” Anya exclaimed happily, appearing relieved at her sudden memory. “You’re the Vampire I gave those gypsies the curse for.”

Time seemed to stop, and then every individual there, focused on the excited ex-demon.

*******

Allowing Buffy to breath, Spike removed his lips from hers and used them to softly caress her along her jaw-line to her neck, nuzzling gently at his mark. Buffy groaned in enjoyment. Pausing for a moment, Spike lifted his head, tilting it slightly to the side, clearly listening to something Buffy could not hear. “Pet, we might want to head downstairs...the poof is here.”

“Later. Busy. More smoochies.” Buffy demanded, decisively.

*******

“Are you saying that Anyanka wrote the curse used on Angelus, Anya?” Giles stared at her in amazement.

“Well yes, but it was a special case. When I saw what he’d done to that young girl, I had no problem helping.” Anya acknowledged.

“Is it possible to alter the curse, so that his soul can be anchored?” Wesley queried.

“Why would you want to do that? Hasn’t that poor girl suffered enough? You think it’s not enough that she was raped, sodomized, tortured and murdered? Now you want to tie her to him for all eternity?” Anya demanded, incensed.

“What do you mean ‘tie her to him’?” Giles requested in confusion.

“Her soul. Right now she’s happily making him relive every bad thing he ever did. Anchoring her soul to him makes her as much of a prisoner as he is, but allows the demon more freedom.” Anya explained.

“Are you telling us, he was cursed with the soul of his victim?” Wesley asked, horrified.

“Well his own soul would have been useless. His human soul, I mean. From what I understand, the human he was, wasn’t much better than the demon he became.” Anya replied, bluntly. “But, I don’t understand, why don’t you know all this? He was told it all, at the time. Didn’t he tell you when he was working with you?”

“Angel was told all about the curse, at the time?” Giles clarified, glaring at the brooding Vampire, a sudden disquieting suspicion starting to form. “Pray tell us Anya, was he also told about the loophole and how the curse could be broken?”

“Well of course he was. They weren’t stupid, you know.” She responded, guilelessly. Unwittingly, igniting, a dangerous fuse.

Glaring menacingly at the Vampire, who was now trying to make himself invisible, and stalking to the door and into the house, Giles made his position clear; “If Buffy or Spike don’t stake you, I will.”

*******

“Pet, let’s go. Watcher’s upset.” Spike pulled on his tee-shirt as he headed out of the bathroom. Leaving Buffy to, hurriedly, follow.

When the two reached the living room it was to find the agitated watcher, pacing in fury.

“What happened, Giles?” Buffy flew to the side of the man she thought of as her father.

“The bastard knew, he bloody knew.” Giles spat out furiously.

“Knew what, Watcher?” Spike asked calmly, with concern.

“The soul, the curse and the bloody loophole. He knew it wasn’t his soul. He knew how the curse worked and the bastard knew how to break it. He bloody well knew. He couldn’t control himself and Jenny died.” Looking at the horrified expression on Buffy’s face, coupled with Spike’s look of shock, Giles made his intentions clear. “Either one of you dusts him, or I will.”

*******

“Angel, I think it would be best if you leave. I really don’t think now is the time for any more confrontations.” Wes suggested, with quiet dignity.

“But he doesn’t understand...it wasn’t what he thinks...I mean, how was I to know...” Angel was interrupted by, ever the peace maker, Lorne. “Angelcakes, later okay. That way every one gets the time to calm down. Just a suggestion though…you might not wanna bring the wonder twins with you?” He cautioned, indicating Willow and Xander with a nod of his head.

Covering up with his blanket in defeat and nodding to his advisors, Angel raced back to his car, leaving the two ex-scoobies to follow, or not.

“Tara? Baby? Why didn’t you come back last night? I waited for you.” Willow moved hesitantly toward the gentle Wiccan.

“No, Willow. Just stop.” Tara stated, firmly. “What you’ve done. The spells you’ve used. What you’ve done to me. I’m sorry Willow, but I can’t be with you any more. I can’t trust you and without trust, you can’t have love.” Calmly leaving the devastated girl behind, Tara walked inside.

“Well fine, if that’s that way everyone’s gonna be, we’ll be leaving. Come on Willow, Ahn.” Xander held out his hand to the ex-demon.

“I don’t think so Xander Harris. Go find yourself someone who won’t mind being second choice to another woman. I deserve better than you.” Anya stated with finality and, lifting her head proudly, marched inside.

“You go girl.” Cordelia commented, impressed, following the ex-demon.

Lorne, Dawn and Wesley, after sharing a glance, chose to go inside, too. Leaving a stunned Willow and Xander, in the backyard, both thinking the exact same thing; “But it’s not my fault.”

Wordlessly leaving the backyard of 1630 Revello Drive, Xander thought about all that had happened. Regretting the decision to call Angel, he considered his options.

‘Riley! Why didn’t I think of him, he’ll help.’
Chapter 14 by jackofspikes
Author's Notes:
Sentences in single parentheses denote thoughts. Thank you
Chapter 14.

”Look, if we’re gonna do this, we need some stuff.” Spike patiently informed Buffy.

“Is it stuff we need to go out for, or can it be delivered?” Buffy really didn’t want to go out. After Anya’s surprising little revelation, Buffy had been hard pressed to keep Giles from immediately extracting vengeance on Angel and while she couldn’t fault him for his desire, she felt that more information was needed. She was seriously concerned by the misinformation he seemed to be spouting and wondering what hair-brained scheme Willow and Xander would come up with next.

“It’s alright, luv. I’ll ring in the orders and have ‘em delivered,” Spike assured her, completely in tune with her and understanding of her concerns.

********

“OH...MY...GOD!” Dawn stared at her sister, eyes bulging before collapsing into giggles on her mother’s bed.

“He was in an actual skirt? Like a kilt or something?” Anya asked, confused, but delighted at being a part of the impromptu girlie get-together.

“Oh goddess, was it short?” Tara grinned.

“It was short. Like one of those old Roman gladiator outfits, with this little swatch of material going diagonally from his waist and flung over his shoulder. It was all white, with this natty gold border. His six-pack all showing. He was sooo drool worthy…and sooo embarrassed.” Buffy giggled.

“You know, Spike’s been through so many changes lately, I think we should do something for the poor boy, a gift or something…nothing say’s lovin’, like a gift for your wardrobe!” Cordy suggested with a playfully evil smile while reaching for her phone.

*******

“So Joyce is acting as your go-between, you say. Will she also appear in this dimension, or will you always be pulled to her?” Giles questioned.

“Not sure, Watcher. I hope she does come here though. Make Bit happy, you know.” Spike replied.

Giles smiled gently in agreement to the solicitous vampire. “Dawn’s very lucky to have you, Spike. It’s clear how much you care, for them both. In point of fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Buffy as happy, as she is now. I’m sure Joyce is overjoyed that her daughters are so well loved.”

Spike smiled shyly, dropping his head.

*******

Angel sat morosely on the couch in the living room of the mansion. Head in hands, lost in his bleak thoughts. ‘How did it go so wrong so fast? What do I do now? I have to fix this. Can it be fixed? This is all Spikes’ fault. Somehow, he’s responsible for this mess. Who was that girl anyway? How did she know all those things?’

Suddenly, as if enthralled by a moment of clarity, the direction of Angel’s musings changed, to the great relief of the brooding vampire. ‘Spike knew. Spike told her what to say. Spike did this to take attention away from what he’s done to my Buffy. It’s Spike’s fault.’

“That bastard set me up!”

*******

“I’ll get it.” Dawn yelled, as she thundered down the stairs. Opening the front door and, realising it was the grocery delivery, she bellowed; “SPIKE! DELIVERY.” Smiling sweetly at the delivery man, assuring him that he’d only have to wait a minute, Dawn left him standing there as she headed back upstairs.”

*******

“Hello...is that Monterey Army Base? ...Good. Look I don’t know if you can help me, but my name’s Xander Harris and I’m looking for someone who used to work at the Initiative base in Sunnydale...No, I know that the army doesn’t have a base in Sunnydale, it was a secret government run operation, and my friend who worked there was assigned there by the army...no, it was closed down...Special Agent Riley Finn...he’s on some special assignment in South America, I think...only that its some demon hunting task force...demon hunting task force...hello?...hello?”

*******

“I’ll get it.” Dawn yelled, as she thundered down the stairs. Opening the front door and, realising it was the alcohol delivery, she bellowed; “SPIKE! DELIVERY.” Smiling at the delivery man and assuring him that he’d only have to wait a minute; Dawn left him standing there as she headed back upstairs, giggling all the way.

*******

“Hello...Is that the Pentagon? ...Good. Look I don’t know if you can help me, but my name’s Xander Harris and I’m looking for someone who used to work at the Initiative base in Sunnydale...Ah, Sunnydale, California...Yes, I’ll hold...Hello...What?...No, it was a secret government run operation, and my friend who worked there was assigned there by the army...Yes, I’ll hold...Hello...No, it was closed down...Yes, I’m sure it was there...Yes, I’ll hold...Yes I’m still here...Yes I’ll hold...Hello...No, it was a secret...The Initiative...Special Agent Riley Finn...Yes I’ll hold...Hello...No, it’s been closed down. He’s on some special assignment in South America now, I think...Yes, I’ll hold...Hello...What?...Oh, only that its some demon hunting task force...A demon hunting task force...D.E.M.O.N...hello?...hello?”

*******

“I’ll get it.” Dawn yelled, as she thundered down the stairs. Opening the front door and, realising it was the delivery man from Partytown Costume Hire, she bellowed; “SPIKE! DELIVERY.” Smiling, while attempting to repress a giggle, she assured the delivery man that he’d only have to wait a minute. Leaving him standing there, she headed back upstairs to where the rest of the girls waited at the top of the landing.

“Um...Can I help you?” The curious vampire asked.

“I have a pre-paid delivery here for ‘Spike’, at this address.” The delivery man told him, indicating the garment bag in his hand.

Completely clueless, Spike accepted the bag from the delivery man, thanked him and closed the door; keeping his gaze firmly on the garment bag in his hand.

“What is it, Spike?” Giles asked, curiously.

“Not a clue, Watcher.” The befuddled vampire replied as he unzipped the bag. Glancing at the contents, his facial expressions showed a plethora of emotions; curiosity then recognition, followed by embarrassment, suspicion and a need for retribution. Slowly turning his head, to look up the stairs to the landing, at the now audible group of giggling girls, he smiled wickedly and told them; “Magic isn’t the only thing with consequences, ladies.” Handing the garment bag to Giles, Spike made his way back to the kitchen.

Giles looked at the contents of the bag, then up at the laughing girls on the landing, confused, he asked; “What’s so bloody funny about a skirt?”

*******

The party was in full swing when the heavy pounding on the front door caught Dawn’s attention. Opening the door, she was unsurprised to see Angel. Moving as if to push past her to gain entrance, he was shocked to find himself sailing through the air, to land unceremoniously on his derrière, in the middle of the front yard. Dawn grinned; “Like the new barrier spell?” She rhetorically asked, as she closed the door on him.

When the door bell rang, Tara answered the door. However, before she could utter a word, the door was pushed and closed from behind, by an unrepentant Spike as he moved from the dining room to the living room, grinning cheekily as he went. Opening the door again, Tara shrugged her shoulders ruefully, and said; “I’ll just get...” This time it was Cordelia making the trek to the living room, her smile...satisfied as she slammed the door in Angel's face. Leaving the door closed, Tara smiled at their antics and went to get Buffy.
Chapter 15 by jackofspikes
Chapter 15.

Taking a deep breath, Buffy opened the front door. Standing in front of her was a fuming vampire, arms crossed, scowling in displeasure while angrily tapping his foot. On noting Buffy’s appearance, Angel straightened up and adjusted his expression to one which attempted to gently reprimand the tiny warrior; “You had me disinvited. I only came here to help, Buffy.” He soulfully reproached her, his large brown puppy dog eyes, sad; “I thought you were dead. Why didn’t you let me know you were back? Why did you ask my team not to tell me? You have to realise you wouldn’t behave this way normally, Buffy. You love me. Now, let me in and I’ll get it all straightened out."

Buffy ignored the snickering laughter behind her, as she answered the brooding vampire. “Angel, the barrier was put in place primarily to keep my sister safe and my home protected. It was not directed at you specifically.” She calmly explained. “I don’t need your help, Angel. I called the people I needed.”

“Buffy,” he spoke slowly as if to a small child; “How can you say you don’t need my help? You’re mated to a vicious animal. He doesn’t have a soul, Buffy. He’s not like me. He’s done something to you to make you want this. But, don’t worry, I can fix it, I’m challenging the claim and then we can dust him together.”

“Don’t patronise me, Angel.” Buffy snapped. “You need to get a few things straight. There are forces at work here you don’t understand. You don’t have all the facts and, quite frankly, most of them are none of your business. As to Spike doing something to me, the mating was my idea, my suggestion and I got it approved by higher beings before I was returned to this plane. I know he’s not like you, Angel. I’m glad he’s not like you. He doesn’t need a soul. I wanted this, I love him. I chose Spike, Angel. Not the other way around. And as to me loving you...not so much. Seriously got over that when I found out about your claim, your part in the murders of the lawyers from Wolfram and Hart and the day you took back.” She raised an eyebrow, waiting for his reaction.

“But, how...” Angel’s voice trailed off, his shock and confusion evident.

“The Powers.” Buffy answered his unasked question. “Failing to tell me about the claim, but still using it to control me; showed me that I really didn’t know who you were. You certainly weren’t who I thought you were. The part you played in the death of those lawyers, just confirmed to me that I never really knew you. But the day you took back; well that just showed me that you never really loved me either.”

“That’s not true. I do love you. I did it for you, Buffy. I gave up being human for you.” Angel pleaded with her.

“How, Angel? How was that for me?” Buffy scoffed in disbelief.

“It’s true. The Oracles told me. They told me that you could die and that I could help stop that if I was still a warrior. So I gave up being human to save you.” Angel explained, earnestly.

“Yadda, yadda...and then stayed in L.A. while I came home to Sunnydale...and died!” she responded sarcastically. “Oh Yeah...you were a big help...what with the all the, not being here and stuff.”

“HEY! That’s not fair. I’ve got my own life in L.A. and I was needed there.” Angel fired back, not at all happy with the way the conversation was going.

“Then acknowledge that and quit trying to say you gave up being human for me. You gave it up for you, Angel; so that you could continue playing hero. Delusional is not a good look on you.” Buffy stated dismissively.

Angel just stared at her, momentarily unable to form clear thoughts, let alone voice them. Anger started to build. He knew that his Buffy was inside the woman in front of him. He just didn’t know how to reach her. This woman was tainted. By Spike. Spike. Spike did this. Spike had touched what was his. Spike must pay. “Spike.” He growled, his demon coming forward, his rage complete.

“You growled, Oh Great Poof?” Spike smirked as he exited the door and glided gracefully down the steps, towards the angry master vampire; totally ignoring the laughing comments that followed in his wake.

“OH. MY. GOD” Dawn screamed in laughter.

“Oh he’s not...” Tara joined Dawn on the floor, tears streaming down both their faces.

“Well, he certainly wears it well.” Anya commented, appreciatively.

“You ain’t kiddin’...whoa mama, talk about salty goodness.” Cordelia agreed whole heartedly.

“Tara cover Dawn’s eyes, please. Spike likes to go commando.” Buffy shook her head at her mate’s antics.

“Well, that certainly explains the skirt.” Giles mused aloud.

Angel pulled back his big meaty paw, throwing all his considerable weight behind it; he was determined to throw the hardest punch of his unlife. On connecting with Spikes jaw, Angel felt every bone in his hand crush, his wrist snap, his radius cracking and finally his ulna breaking under the pressure. Screaming in pain, he collapsed to the ground.

“Well, that was disappointing.” Spike grumbled. “Hey luv, can I dust him?” He looked up at Buffy, his expression childishly hopeful and totally ignoring the now sobbing vampire at his feet.

*******

“I’m sorry guys, I know you wanted to dust him, but he has to be there to deal with Darla. The Baby is more important than Angel dustage…for now.” She offered a crumb to Giles and Spike.

“Well then, perhaps you’d care to share with us, how it is that Spike is apparently unsusceptible to violence levelled against him?” The Watcher let go of his anger and disappointment and asked in interest.

“That was sooo cool.” Dawn added her opinion.

“It is, isn’t it; and it’s not just Spike. Both of us are…um…what did Mom call it Spike?” Buffy turned to him in question,

“Ah, she said we were impervious to attack and it was true immortality.” Spike supplied.

“That’s just a polite way of saying that you’re both trapped on this plane of existence for eternity.” Anya stated with her usual ability to cut straight to the bone.

“Not really. When we get this dimension straightened out and fairly safe. We get to travel, for short periods of time, trying to help keep the balance in other dimensions and technically we’re both dead so, it’s like...this is where we get to spend our eternity and bonus...we get to do it together.” Buffy concluded happily, leaning back and resting against her mate’s chest.

“But we’ve got bloody rules though. Things we can and can’t do. Not allowed to interfere in the lives of the humans. Gotta make sure they still have free will and all that rot. Only allowed to affect the supernatural world. Bloody criminal if you ask me, takes all the soddin’ fun out of it.” The disgruntled guardian grumbled.

“What happens to me when you go dimension travelling?” Dawn asked in a small voice, scared at facing more instability.

“You go with us, Dawnie. Family sticks together.” Buffy stated with certainty.

“But Buffy, surely you must take into account that Dawn is a growing girl who will one day want a family of her own. She won’t be able to travel with you her entire life.” Giles pointed out.

“Dawnie’s the Key, Giles. She’s immortal too.” Buffy countered.

“WHAT?!” Dawn gasped

“It’s okay, Pumpkin belly. We’ll work it out.”

“Mommy?”
Chapter 16 by jackofspikes
Chapter 16.

“Come and sit by me, sweetie.” Joyce encouraged Dawn to join her on the couch. That, of course, is not to suggest that Dawn needed encouragement.

Taking a moment, while everyone made themselves comfortable. Joyce took the time to glance around the room, smiling at old faces and new faces alike. “Well, first thing, I am so very proud of all of you. You’ve made the most of what could have been a terrible situation.” She started. “Now, it’s true I’m primarily here for Buffy, Dawn and Spike, but I do have information that I need to share with the team from L.A. too. So if you’ll all bear with me, we should get through it all quickly.

First, Dawn," Joyce said, facing her youngest daughter. “Honey, I have to tell you, being in the position I am now, allows me to look at things from a different perspective. Sadly, it took me dying to realise a few truths that should have been obvious from the start. But, I didn’t understand. I was so intent on keeping my own dreams alive that I didn’t look too closely at anything that could disrupt them. When I finally understood that Buffy was the Slayer, it was easier to think of it as a disturbing hobby than what it really was, what it really meant. I allowed myself to believe that even with this hobby she could still have a normal life. I was wrong. What I should have done, was find out exactly what a Slayer was. Had I done that, I would have discovered that a Slayer is not an ordinary girl…..she’s an extraordinary girl and she deserves so much more than to be tied to an ordinary life. Now, I may not be able to change the mistakes I made with Buffy’s situation, but I can ensure that you don’t have to go through the pain of that too.

Like Buffy, you are extraordinary too. You have powers and abilities that make you, in your own way, just as important to the dimensions as the guardians. You will learn how to control your powers, with a little guidance from Mr Giles and you will use those powers to be an important part of this team. Without you Buffy and Spike would be unable to do their job.”

“So, I’m like a super hero?” Dawn almost landed on the floor, as her excitement escalated. “That is so cool. What powers will I have? Ooh…ooh…and when do I get them?”

“The ability to open and close stable portals to exact locations, invisibility and the ability to understand, read, write and speak any language.” Joyce smiled indulgently at her offspring, before offering a word of warning; “But, I will be watching and you will be completing school, young lady. These powers will come in their own time, but you will learn self disciple before then.”

“Jeez, way to suck the enjoyment out, mom.” Dawn pouted.

Joyce smiled indulgently at her youngest, before continuing; “The next piece of news I’ve got, while very satisfying to me, may or may not upset some of you; I’m not really sure about your true feelings Rupert and Wesley, so I’ll apologise for upsetting you just in case.” Joyce moved on to the next subject up for discussion, focusing on the two ex-watchers.

Both men looked at each other in speculation, before settling their gaze on Joyce. “Please, continue Joyce.” Giles invited the ethereal woman.

“The arrival of the Guardians to this plane puts an end to the slayer line and the council.” Joyce waited for their reactions.

Shocked, the entire room was silenced. Furiously trying to make some sort of sense of what had been said, Giles cleaned his glasses, in an attempt to calm his warring emotions. In part, he was elated at the comeuppance to Quentin Travers, but another part of him was devastated that the institution he had invested so much of his life to, was ending; “But how is that possible?” His awe and confusion clear in his voice.

“The girls are no longer needed, so the powers have released the essence of the First Slayer. With her release, Faith lost her powers and, as there is no need for a slayer, there is certainly no need for watchers.” Joyce calmly explained. “But, just because a slayer and watchers are no longer needed, doesn’t mean we won’t be making use of some of the council’s resources and assets.” She added, a devious little smile playing at her lips.

“Faith’s lost her powers? Wow...sucks to be her.” Buffy inserted in mock distress for the ex-slayer. Clearly indicating a certain lack of forgiveness in relation to the other girl.

“But, surely the council could still be of some use?” Giles ignored Buffy’s comments.

“Most of the council is corrupt. They have allowed their mission to be warped in their need for control and love of power. They approve of murdering a Chosen Champion of the Powers, if she doesn’t follow their orders.” Joyce responded with grim finality

“What do you mean when you say that council resources and assets will be utilized?” Wesley asked, amused; thoughts of the demise of the council, leaving him completely unconcerned.

“The First Slayer was created by a group of village elders, who then went on to become the beginnings of the Watchers Council. The elder females of the village weren’t happy with the way the elders went about creating and using the First Slayer, but they were unable to do anything about it at the time.

One of the female elders was a very gifted seer. The Seer was sent a vision showing her of the arrival of the guardians in the distant future and she informed the other women. The women decided that they would help the guardians by forming their own council, keeping it all secret from the men, in that way they could help future slayers.

They started by working with the men from the outside of the Watchers Council and, over time, woman have been allowed into the council and some of those women are part of the larger group of ‘Those Who Wait’.” Joyce explained. “Buffy and Spike are who they’ve been waiting for. Once their seer was alerted to the presence of the Guardians in this dimension, the group went into action. They entered the council libraries and catacombs, removed all the warding spells and transported all the books, scrolls, parchments and magical devises off council property to pre-prepared locations, then transferred all money, investments and property over to Buffy and Spike. A representative from the group is on her way, with all the paperwork, to finalise everything.”

Wesley started snickering, but was soon laughing uproariously, tears streaming down his face. When he noticed that the others were looking at him as if he was insane, he attempted to control his laughter; “I’m sorry...it’s just that...Oh God, it’s priceless...” he continued to laugh as he attempted to explain. “My Father...(hee hee)...Quentin Travers...(snicker, snicker)...all the older members of the council...oh lord...they had all their personal properties and assets sighed over to the council...to save on taxes!” He resumed laughing.

“We own Quentin Travers’ home?!” Buffy grinned in glee.

“Now that’s what I call poetic justice.” Giles announced, delighted.
Chapter 17 by jackofspikes
Chapter 17.

“I suppose I had better let you people from L.A. know what’s coming for you.” Joyce regained control of the room with her simple statement. “I mean apart from Darla’s arrival.” She clarified. “Your new champion will be arriving soon, and you need to get ready for him.”

“New champion?” Cordy questioned, a speculative gleam in her eye.

“What’s this?” Wes sat up in attention.

“Angelcakes is not gonna take that well.” Lorne commented mildly.

“I believe, you already know him, so it shouldn’t be too difficult for him to fit in with the group.” Joyce added.

A chorus of voices, asking the identity of the new champion, assailed Joyce.

“The Groosalug.” She announced.

“Groo’s coming?!” Cordy excitedly asked. The other’s smiled indulgently at her obvious pleasure.

“You really should already know this. I don’t know what’s going on with the Power’s, they are so behind on delivering their seers visions.” Joyce commented on the questionable work ethics of the Powers.

As Joyce finished speaking, Cordelia’s whole body seemed to stiffen. A soft glow appeared to surround her, as her eye’s turned totally white. The glow intensified, leaving Cordelia as just a shadow within. Then, as quickly as it appeared, the light seemed to dissipate, fading to nothing.

“Well typical…send the vision after I tell them!” Joyce muttered.

*******

“The L.A. crew is heading off this mornin'. Demon Girl’s gotta get to work an' Nibblet an' Glinda got school. Why don’t you wait a bit on your shower, Pet.” Spike suggested as he held Buffy in his arms and nuzzled her neck.

Buffy turned in his arms, lifting her lips for his kiss. “Okay...but you get to cook for me.” She smiled up at him.

“Ah...so the truth comes out...you just want me for my culinary skills.” He teased.

“Ya ha.” She nodded in agreement.

“Minx!” he laughed, swatting her backside as she tried to dance away from him.

Their playful banter was interrupted by a bevy of female voices screaming in unison; “SPIKE!”

“What did you do?” Buffy asked her mate, her demeanour a mixture of worry and amusement, as he started laughing.

The arrival of the four furious females, to the kitchen, ensured that a few extra minutes would be required before any sense would be coming from the laughing ex-vampire. The girls stood stock still and waited. Arms crossed; hair at various stages of drying and in various shades of blue.

*******

With the departure of the group from L.A. and then the flurry of activity as Giles and Anya departed for the Magic Box and Tara and Dawn to school, Buffy took the opportunity to enjoy the first real bit of peace and quite she’d had in three days. She sat back on the couch and thought about the changes in her life; in Dawn’s life. What would life bring as an immortal, she wondered, ‘guess we’re gonna find out’, she thought smiling.

She continued to smile as her thoughts moved on to Spike and the changes in him that they’d all witnessed over the last three days; all it had taken to get him to shed the defensive ‘Big Bad’ persona, to show them all how playful and loving he could be, was for her to tell him she loved him and leave him in no doubt. The assurance, of her love; that he felt through their bond, had helped to negate a century of feeling second best. She loved him, and he knew it.

Her thoughts moved to Willow and Xander. She had been hoping that after a cooling off period, she might be able to rescue her friendship with Willow, but after the unnecessary involvement of Angel, she was unsure. Maybe time, would allow her friend to face her own culpability, maybe not. Buffy had no such thoughts where Xander was concerned. If he hadn’t got the message in four years that she wasn’t interested in him in that way, he just wasn’t gonna get the message. Better to let that friendship stay dead.

When the phone interrupted her musings, she sighed in resignation as she moved to answer it. “Summers’ Residence, Buffy speaking.”

“Buffy, it’s Riley.”

“Riley?” Buffy questioned, hoping that she had misheard.

“Yeah. Look I don’t know what’s going on in Sunnydale, but my commander just got a call from the Pentagon. Apparently Xander’s been trying to get a message to me. He’s already called both Monterey Army Base and the Pentagon. He’s telling the switchboard operators classified information. He has to be stopped, Buffy. I know he’s a friend of yours, so I’m asking you...what you want me to do about Xander.”

“WHAT?!” She yelled, furious.

“I’m sorry Buffy, but I can’t just let this go. I’ll get in trouble if I do. As I said, I know he’s your friend, so I thought it only fair to ask you for suggestions, rather than just hand him over to the federal authorities.”

“Not so much with the friends anymore, Riley, but that’s sooo not your business so...ooh I have an idea...” Buffy went on to tell him her idea.

*******

When Xander Harris arrived home from work that evening, there were two army officers waiting for him. Moving past them, to insert the key to his lock, thus opening the door to his apartment, Xander turned to his visitors. The two officers waited until he turned to them, after opening his door, before addressing him. His excitement swelled. He hoped; he really hoped that this visit was something to do with Riley.

“Mr. Harris? Mr. Alexander Lavelle Harris?” One of them asked.

“That’s what it says on my driver’s licence.” He informed them, grinning.

“We’re here to pass on a private message from an Agent Riley Finn.” The second man offered.

“Hey, that’s great man, I knew one my phone calls would get his attention. How is he? Will he be here soon, or is he just gonna ring me first, although I guess it’d be hard to ring from the middle of the jungle, right.” Xander bounced on his toes, happily anticipating a reunion with his friend and knowing that together they’d be able to fix the mess with Buffy.

“Agent Finn asked us to pass on a message for him. He said, and I quote; ‘Tell that moron that the only reason I ever even acknowledged his presence was because he was a friend of the girl I was dating at the time. As the girl is no longer my girlfriend, I don’t really feel the need to keep up the pretence of friendship with that idiot and if he ever tries to contact me again, I might find it necessary to report all the information I have in relation to the theft of a certain rocket launcher’. Is that clear, sir?” The first officer asked.

“Oh yeah, I’d say that’s perfectly clear.” Xander looked decidedly pale as he gently closed his door.
Chapter 18 by jackofspikes
Chapter 18.

When the door bell rang, Buffy mentally went through all the people it could be and mentally prepared herself in case it was one of the ones she didn’t want to see. The tiny brunette was not someone she knew. Bouncing on her toes in barely concealed excitement, her behaviour was at odds with her outfit. The formfitting business suit, the sensible heals and the briefcase, screamed official, and still she bounced.

“Can I help you?” Buffy smiled politely at the woman.

“Guardian...er, I mean, Buffy Summers, am I right? Because you really do look like your picture...that is if it is you, because if it’s not you then you must have a twin and you look like her picture.” The woman babbled happily, her upper class British accent, strong.

“Um...yes, I’m Buffy Summers.” She let out a bemused little laugh as she answered.

“I knew it! I can not tell you how pleased I am to meet you. I would have been overawed to meet you as the Slayer, but now that you are...well what you are now, I can only say; I have been waiting my whole life to meet you and I’m so very excited. Now, what would you like me to do with all these boxes?” The woman had spoken so quickly and changed subjects so abruptly, that it took Buffy a moment to catch up.

“Oh...um...who are you?” Buffy asked, completely confused.

“Oh! I am terribly sorry. That was very rude of me, wasn’t it? However, perhaps you would be good enough to excuse my faux pax; I really am not usually so rude, it must be the excitement of meeting you.” Thrusting out her hand, she said; “Mary Perkinski, of the council of ‘Those Who Wait’, at you service.”

“I’m pleased to meet you.” Buffy smiled as she shook Mary’s hand. “Ah, you said something about boxes?”

“Yes, yes the boxes.” She indicated the large pile of file boxes on the path leading up to the front steps. “They contain all the financial records, hidden accounts, property ownership papers, investments and accessible funds that formally belonged to the Council of Watchers, but now belong to you.”

“Well then, come on in and welcome to my home.” Buffy grinned.

*******

“Sorry guys, but with Spike out patrolling, I need your help.” Buffy explained as she, Dawn, Tara, Anya, Mary and Giles hauled the heavy boxes into the dining room.

“Couldn’t we have waited for him?” Dawn whined, but at Buffy’s pointed glare she quieted her grumbling, at least from an audible level.

“I hope you’re not expecting me to sort through that lot.” Giles voiced his concerns, as the last of the boxes were brought inside.

“Actually Giles, I was hoping you’d loan me Anya and maybe Tara could help you at the shop when she’s not in class.” Buffy looked at them hopefully.

When Giles turned to Anya, he saw the same eager hope mirrored on her face, as he’d seen on Buffy’s. Tara simply smiled and shrugged, indicating that she had no problem with the suggested arrangement. He was relieved at the seemingly easy solution to the situation.

“Hey Luv, I discovered a new power;” Spike started excitedly talking as soon as he entered the kitchen, through the back door. “A vamp grabbed me from behind, then I started to glow and the git just dusted...who’s the bird on the floor?” Spike being the first to note that Mary had collapsed.

“Oh God...is she alright?” Buffy ran to Mary’s side and checked her pulse. “Pulse’s strong.” She noted.

“I think she just fainted, Buffy.” Tara said, as she joined Buffy, also kneeling at the unconscious girl’s side.

“Who is she?” Spike asked.

“She’s the representative that Joyce told us about.” Giles informed the curious ex-vampire.

Mary’s eyes started to flutter, an indication that she was coming around. As she opened her eyes, she saw the concerned looks on Buffy and Tara’s faces as they looked down on her. “What happened?” She asked as they helped her sit up.

“I think you fainted, what do you remember?” Tara asked in her beautifully calming manner.

“Well, I heard a voice and looked up and saw...oh my...” As she spoke she lifted her gaze to the other inhabitants of the room. When her eye’s locked with Spikes, she paused then mumbled her last two words before her eyes seem to roll back in her head and she promptly passed out again.

“That, sure as hell, wasn’t from fear.” Spike smirked.

*******

After Buffy successfully convinced Spike to stop laughing and to make himself scarce, the rest of the group gathered around the now awake and highly embarrassed council representative.

“Oh I am sorry; I don’t know what came over me. What ever will he think? I feel like a silly school girl who has been overcome by the sight of the latest pop icon. Please relay my apologies, but perhaps its best if I don’t actually see him.” The poor woman rambled disconcertedly.

“Forget it; I’m sure Spike wasn’t offended in the least.” Buffy smiled then placed her hand firmly over her sister’s mouth, before she embarrassed Mary with one of her little comments.

“Well, ah...you have the files, this is the address of the resource centre we’ve set up here in town,” Mary stated, handing Buffy the written down address. “Once you have decided how you are going to organize your duties, and what you would like us to do for you, please let us know. I would assume that eventually Mr. Giles will take over control of the research centre, but those are just my thoughts on the matter and I wouldn’t presume to tell you your job. Again...I can’t tell you how delighted I am to meet you all and I hope we can meet again soon. One final thing, I am fairly certain that you will be contacted by Quentin Travers, my suggestion would be to prepare yourselves, he can be...devious. Well goodnight everyone.” She waved as she exited the house.

“So, she’s gone then?” Spike smirked as he sauntered back into the living room.

“Impressed with yourself now, aren’t you.” Buffy snarked at her mate.

“Hell yeah! Never had a bird faint at the very sight of my luscious bod before.” Spike grinned and Buffy rolled her eyes.

“Buffy, are you at all concerned with Mary’s warnings in relation to Quentin Travers?” Giles interrupted the teasing pair.

Buffy took a moment to consider his question then her smile started to form; “Quentin Travers is an intelligent, sneaky, self-serving little control freak. He believes in his own ability to out-think the opposition, but he’s been frustrated time and again by me because of his inability to think outside the box. He doesn’t think well on his feet because he can’t improvise;” Buffy offered her opinion, looking to Giles for agreement. At his cautious nod, she continued. “If he contacts us, I think we need to let someone just as intelligent...and sneaky, but who doesn’t have a problem improvising, deal with a man who considers himself a ‘big bad’ controller of destinies.”

Every eye in the room turned to Spike.

“You know it’s not gonna be pretty.” He smiled as he gleefully rubs his hands together in anticipation.
Chapter 19 by jackofspikes
Chapter 19.

“Magic Box. Can I help you?” Tara asked politely.

“This is Quentin Travers, I wish to speak to Rupert;” he demanded, abruptly.

“Oh, I’m sorry Mr. Travers; he’s not here at the moment. May I ask what it’s in relation to? Perhaps I can help you.” She sweetly replied.

“Unless you can tell me why I’m being evicted from my home, a home that has been in my family for generations, I doubt very much that you could be of any assistance whatsoever.” He snapped at her rudely.

“Actually Mr. Travers, it’s not Mr. Giles that you need to speak to at all. If you ring the Summers residence and ask to speak to Spike, I’m sure you’ll get all your answers. Good day, Sir.” Tara grinned as she hung up on the incoherently spluttering man. Quickly ringing home, she warned them of the incoming call.

*******

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t the head of the now defunct Council of Wankers. What can I do for ya, mate?” Spike drawled jubilantly into the phone.

“William the Bloody, I presume. I don’t know how you and Miss Summers have managed this, but rest assured I will not stop until I have put everything back in its rightful place! That includes you and Miss Summers.” Quentin spat out his fury. “Now I’m giving you the opportunity to save yourselves a great deal of trouble by undoing what ever it is you have done, starting with the return of my family home. I promise you that I have no problem taking legal action.”

“Bollocks! Take all the legal action you want mate, it’s not gonna change a thing, and even if I thought for one minute that it might, I’d just have ta remind you that we can afford better advice. Then, of course, I’d have to tell ya that that course of action might just make me a mite pissy and I might just feel inclined to split the place up into a group of affordable flats for demons in need.” Spike cheerfully informed Quentin.

Spike laughed silently at the indignant splutterings of the enraged man. Then his voice got hard; “Know this Travers, you and the bloody council have been judged by the Powers-That-Be and you’ve been found corrupt. These changes had been planned for and set in place centuries ago. This dimension is now under the protection of the Guardians and the essence of the First Slayer has been released, as this dimension no longer needs a slayer. Which puts you lot, at the council, out of a job. You do not want to find out why interfering with the guardians would be a mistake. As to the Travers family estate, we’ll get back to you when we decide what to do.” Hanging up the phone, Spike realised that, on some level at least, he had missed being an active Master Vampire and the power that came with it.

*******

The two guardians, the Key, the ex-watcher, the ex-vengeance demon and the White Witch all sat around the dining room table. The discussion: the order in which the mission of the guardians should be executed.

“Shouldn’t the shield here in Sunnydale be put in place first? That way you don’t have to worry about patrolling any more.” Anya held firm to her belief that if Sunnydale was made safe first, they would all function better.

“Yes, but in order to put the shield in place, all the other hell-mouths have to be permanently closed first.” Giles pointed out.

“Wouldn’t the accessible portals and the fluctuating ones, which are already in place, close automatically when you close down the power output of the other hell-mouths and restrain this one?” Tara asked.

“Yes, of course they would. Thank you Tara, I should have thought of that myself.” Giles acknowledged the shy Wiccan. “So by closing the hell-mouths, you close off all access to and from this dimension, with the notable exception of the Guardians, through the Key and the All-power. Even the Powers will only be able to contact this dimension through their seers.”

“So...what? We don’t have to worry about the portals as long as the hell-mouths are closed and we can’t put up the shield until that happens. Doesn’t that mean that there’s only one way we can do this. First the hell-mouths, then the shield.” Dawn queried.

“Nibblet’s right. It’s the natural progression.” Spike agreed.

“Okay, so we ring Wolfram and Hart, close the hell-mouths then put up the shield.” Buffy stood, nodding in affirmation of the agreed upon plan and moved to make her call.

*******

“Wolfram and Hart, how may I direct your call?” The polite voice on the end of the line asked.

“I’d like to speak to Lilah Morgan, please.” Buffy told her.

“Who may I say is calling?”

“Buffy Summers.” Buffy waited patiently for her call to be connected.

“Lilah Morgan.” The officious lawyer stated.

“Miss Morgan, my name is Buffy Summers. I have a message that I want passed on to the Senior Partners, can you do that?” Her voice laced in polite boredom.

“Buffy Summers. Well this is a pleasant surprise. Who would have thought the good girl Slayer would be calling me.” Lilah’s calculating mind racing at the possibilities that this sort of contact could create for her. “I’d be honoured to help you in any way.”

“Great. The message is as follows: It is the time of the Guardians. This dimension is now under their protection. You have one week to remove all Wolfram and Hart offices from this dimension before all portals are permanently closed. Any Wolfram and Hart holdings still in this dimension after that time will be blessed by the guardians. This is your only warning…So, did you get all that Lilah?” Buffy grinned at the less than polite reaction she received.

*******

The following week brought about many changes. Anya took no time at all in going though all the financial information. She happily suggested a myriad of investment plans and was delighted when the unanimous decision, that she should become the official financial advisor for the group, was made.

Giles arranged for one of the women from the new council to take over the day to day running of the shop and set about bringing some order to the magnitude of literature the new research centre had available. Much of it had been hidden away by the council of watchers, and Giles was impatient to begin his investigations of the hitherto unseen material.

Tara mothered, Dawn whined and Buffy and Spike enjoyed patrols that seemed more like evening walks than actual patrols.

When the Wolfram and Hart deadline came, Buffy and Spike made their way down to the basement. It was time to close the hell-mouths.
Chapter 20 by jackofspikes
Chapter 20.

Moving in unison, the two guardians headed towards the bed. Positioning themselves near the centre, they faced each other, legs crossed and holding hands. Closing their eyes and allowing themselves to feel the depth of their bond, they felt their power build. The world dropped away from them, opening their inner eye as one, they saw themselves flying, with arms outstretched, the hand nearest to the others, entwined.

When they spoke to each other, no words formed at their lips. ‘Look luv, there she blows.’ Buffy looked over to see a fountain of power streaming up from the ground. Nodding she replied; ‘Guess that’s number one!’

Focusing on the steam of energy as one, the two mentally forced the energy back to its source. The gates to the Hell-mouth seemed to slam closed and they mentally blessed the gates with a kiss, sealing it for all time. Following this pattern, they made their way to each and every hell-mouth; permanently closing them one after another, until there was only one left…Sunnydale.

In order for their plans to work the Sunnydale Hell-mouth had to remain open fractionally; just enough so that enough power escaped to draw in evil, but not enough to be able to be used. Working together, the two guardians concentrated on achieving their goals.

Satisfied with their results, they prepared to build the shield. Buffy marvelled at the simplicity of the idea; the only place in the world where the power of a hell-mouth might be tapped into would be protected by a simple barrier. Any malevolent demon, crossing the barrier or within the confines of the barrier when it was constructed would immediately disintegrate. Any evil demon drawn to the siren song of the hell-mouth would disintegrate as they breached the barrier.

Champions around the globe felt it when the barrier surrounding Sunnydale fell into place.

*******

As the weeks passed, life began to settle down to a peaceful flow. Anya asked for, and received, a no interest loan, so that she could buy a sweet little house that she’d found; she insisted that the second bedroom could be used as an office so she could better service their financial needs by having everything in one place, thus saving them all time. Time is money!

Giles bought the house next to the resource centre, then upset Dawn, Buffy and Spike by offering his spare room to Tara. Revello Drive was not the same without her.

Buffy and Spike moved into Joyce’s bedroom and Dawn moved into Buffy’s old room then manipulated Buffy and Spike into redecorating the rest of the house as well.

When the Sunnydale Museum was robbed of a large diamond, Buffy called crime stoppers. Warren Meers, Jonathan Levinson and Andrew Wells were found in possession of the missing diamond and enough other evidence to have them charged with and found guilty of a number of crimes. Giles offered to help in the rehabilitation of Jonathan and Andrew, suggesting to the court that there was work for them at the Ancient Book Archive that he now ran. The court decided to accept his offer.

So peaceful had life become, that Buffy decided to return to school. Spike offered to help out at the research centre, but Giles was forced to say no more after several instances of Mary fainting at the sight of him. Mary cried, Giles apologized and Spike bitched.

Spike was bored...this is not of the good.

Due to both Buffy and Dawn being in school, Spike was the only one home when the L.A. crew arrived. As he moved towards the door, Joyce appeared; “It’s alright dear, I’m just here to make sure you don’t panic.”

Spike looked at her warily as he opened the door, he saw Wesley and Cordelia, then noticed the bundle that she was carrying. He looked at the two adults in front of him. He turned his head and looked back at Joyce. He looked at the bundle and Cordelia turned it to face him. He looked at the baby. He panicked.

*******

When Buffy got home from her classes, she found Wesley and Cordelia sitting on the couch with a baby and her mother and sister attempting to calm down her agitated mate.

“Someone wanna fill me in?” She asked calmly, crossing her arms. When every one began speaking at once, Buffy shushed the room and pointed to Wesley.

“You were right about…almost everything. Unfortunately Darla overheard us telling our other associates about the problems relating to Angels soul, and apparently worried about it. So when it became apparent that the baby’s birth was imminent, Darla became increasingly agitated about the possibility of Angel loosing his soul at the birth of his child; she feared for her child’s safety, were that to happen.” Wesley explained.

“Well, gotta admit, I can understand the fear.” Buffy offered.

“Yes, well it appears that her fears for her child’s safety superseded everything else, so as she was helped into position, by Angel, to have the child, she produced a stake and dusted him.” He paused.

“Okay...not expecting that.” Buffy commented, unconcerned.

“She asked us to ensure that that baby was given to Spike, she said that she didn’t like him but she respected his need to put family first and his ability to love. She then stabbed herself with the stake, leaving just the baby behind. We bought him some necessities then brought him here.” Wesley concluded.

“Alright…well that explains everything nicely, thank you Wes.” Buffy smiled at her ex-watcher. Turning to her mate, she smirked; “What are you complaining about…you said you were bored.”

*******

It didn’t take long for the little family to develop a routine. The baby, Conner, soon became the apple of everyone’s eye. It wasn’t a surprise to anyone that the individual, who complained longest and loudest amongst them, was the most doting of them all. Spike hovered, touching the baby as often as possible. He purred to him, he read to him, he bathed, fed and changed him. Often grumbling when, someone else wanted to spend time with the baby.

Buffy smiled as she thought about them. Glancing down at her hand, Buffy contemplated the stick and its two blue lines; ‘we’re sooo gonna need a bigger house...maybe we should have Quentin’s place shipped to Sunnydale...’



Fin


A/N: Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read my story, a second thanks to those who have been kind enough to leave me a review.

I started this as a test to myself…could I write a fic? I still don’t know the answer to that particular question, but your reviews have made me think it’s possible.

While I would have preferred this story with a touch of angst, the challenge parameters forbade that. I hope that my next attempt will satisfy that need. I might even be persuaded to write a sequel!

Jackofspikes


Challenge Details:

Challenge: 111

Think of when Willow brought Buffy back from the dead. Well, what if she bought back Buffy from an alternate dimension? A Buffy that is smarter and nicer about matters that concern Spike. You can chose which dimension she comes from but angst is not allowed, purely fluffy Spuffy with bite.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=23355