Here With Me by Peroxide_dreams
Summary: After her night with Parker, Buffy finds herself vulnerable for the first time since being called as the slayer. Feeling desperate and alone she turns to Riley for comfort. But what happens when she finds the one person she can depend on, is her sworn enemy. Set early season four.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Sexual Situations, Buffy/Other, Spike/Other
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 8720 Read: 7707 Published: 05/12/2007 Updated: 06/14/2008

1. Discovery by Peroxide_dreams

2. The Offer by Peroxide_dreams

3. Confrontation by Peroxide_dreams

4. Chapter 4/5 by Peroxide_dreams

5. Chapter 5 by Peroxide_dreams

Discovery by Peroxide_dreams
Author's Notes:
I am writing this for a Live Journal ficathon. It is very different then most of the fic I write, but I'm hoping everyone will stick with me. Tell me what you think. This is set in early Season Four. I have played around with the timeline a bit. It is set before Something Blue, but Spike already is living in his crypt and knows he can hurt demons. Also there is no Adam.
Buffy flipped over the unsuspecting vampire kicking him hard in the chest. He was sent flying into the mausoleum. Before he could recover, the Slayer was on him punching and kicking him repeatedly.

“Now who is clingy…now who doesn’t want a relationship?” Buffy asked rhetorically, taking out her aggression on the fallen vampire.

“What are you…” he started to retort but was abruptly cut off.

You…don’t get to talk.” Buffy sneered pulling him up against the granite wall.

Buffy pulled her stake from her waistband and slammed it hard into the bemused vampire‘s dead heart. She stood there clapping the dusty remains of her enemy off of her hands. It was the fifth vamp she had pummeled but tonight slaying offered no relief. Ever since ‘the Parker incident’ as Willow liked to call it, she had a hard time relieving her anger.

“Quite the show there Slayer...” She heard from behind her.

Buffy rolled her eyes not even bothering to turn around.

“Not a show, Spike, just another vamp that needed to be dusted.” Buffy retorted.

“R-ight and he needed to get beat to a bloody pulp too?” Buffy could hear the smirk in his voice, taunting her.

She whirled around taking a step toward the annoying vampire.

“No, but you will if you don’t shut up!” Buffy spat.

Spike put his hands up in the air “Whoa…what’s got your knickers all in a twist?”

Buffy’s eyes widened, “Nothing and… don’t worry about my… knickers…”

Her retort was cut short when suddenly the world around her began to spin. The last thing Buffy heard was Spike’s voice calling out to her before her eyes went black before her.


********************


“Slayer? Bloody hell!” Spike yelled as he watched Buffy fall to the ground, striking her head on a tombstone.

Great just what I need Spike grumbled. He knew somehow he would get blamed for the unconscious Slayer. He paced back and forth wondering what to do with this new predicament.

He stopped suddenly smiling. Of course if some other vamp were to find her here this way... he thought, finally, he could get his retribution. Looming over her, he heard her heart beating and knew she was not seriously injured.He suddenly frowned kneeling down closer to the Slayer.

His eyes widened in disbelief as he hesitated a moment before bending down, scooping up her small body. He grumbled to himself walking toward the cemetery exit.


*******************


Giles blinked his eyes, yawning as he fumbled for his glasses. Peering at the clock, he let out a sigh as he climbed out of bed. The incessant pounding continued until he finally reached the door.

“All right I’m coming” he yelled swinging open the door.

“Dear Lord” Giles gasped.

Of all the things he had envisioned at his front door in the middle of the night, a master vampire carrying his unconscious slayer was not one of them.

“You gonna invite me in watcher or shall I dump your slayer on her arse here at the door?” Spike sneered.

“Come in, Spike” Giles moved aside.

The vampire walked inside depositing Buffy on the couch and turning toward the watcher.

“Before you say anything… I didn’t do this…” Spike started.

“Spike unless the chip has stopped working I seriously doubt you could have.” Giles reassured him.

Spike scoffed “I coulda left her there! She passed out right there in the middle of the bloody cemetery.”

Giles frowned “Was she knocked unconscious?”

“No, she just took a tumble out of nowhere.” Spike informed him, not sure how much he should reveal.

“Well, I’m off.” Spike said heading toward the door.

“Spike” Giles called out to him “Why did you bring her here? You were right in that you could have just left her out there.”

“I didn’t do it for her,” Spike shrugged and walked out the door.


********************


“So… the last thing you remember is fighting with Spike?” Willow asked in disbelief.

“Well, not ‘fighting’ fighting, just ‘arguing’ fighting.” Buffy sighed lying back on her bed.

“And then the next thing you know you’re waking up at Giles’?”

“Yes Willow! I told you I don’t remember anything else, but apparently Spike brought me to Giles’” Buffy repeated beginning to get annoyed with her friends questions.

The truth was she didn’t want think about Spike saving her. Things in her life already felt far to overwhelming with out adding in the motives of a soulless vampire.

“Why would he do that?” Willow asked.

“I don’t know Willow! Why don’t… Oh God” Buffy’s hand flew to her mouth as she suddenly jumped up running to the bathroom.

“Buffy, are you okay?” Willow asked rushing to the bathroom door.

Buffy opened the door with the toothbrush still in her mouth.

“I think I am coming down with a stomach bug.” Buffy moaned brushing her teeth.

“Do slayers get sick?” Willow asked concerned for her friend.

Buffy exited the bathroom collapsing on her bed.

“Apparently so.”


********************


It had been nearly a week since she had seen Spike. Ever since the night she’d passed out, it was almost as if he was avoiding her. Though she had to admit she’d purposely skipped over Restfield Cemetery in her patrols. Buffy couldn’t understand why a vampire who she was sure hated her, had saved her life.

She was so distracted by her thoughts she didn’t notice the demons approaching and barreled straight into Buffy.

“OOF” Buffy breathed as she was knocked to the ground.

The demon leapt on top of her trying to grasp her around the throat. Buffy reached for her sword, quickly realizing she had lost it when the demon had tackled her. Its crushing weight was making it difficult to maneuver. She began to panic when as it became increasingly difficult for her to breath.

Suddenly the pressure on her throat was gone as the demon’s head went toppling on the ground beside her. Green slime poured out from the opening, covering her face and hair.

“EEEWWW” she spat shoving the lifeless creature off of her body.

She began frantically trying to remove the sticky substance from her body, totally ignoring the blond vampire standing before her.

“Oh my God! This is so gross.” she cried feeling her hair matted together.

“That is all you bloody well have to say?” Spike asked incredulously.

Buffy looked up at Spike, noticing the sword in his hand. She narrowed her eyes, “Did you have to cut his head off when he was right on top of me?”

“Wha… are you… AAAUUUGGG” Spike screamed throwing his hands up in the air.

He took a menacing step towards her. Buffy could see flecks of yellow flash in his blue eyes.

“No Slayer, I could have waited until it killed you then chopped its bloody head off! Spike sneered.

“Killed me?” Buffy snorted defensively “I had it totally under control. I was just… regrouping.”

“Regroup… oh balls… forget it.” Spike said turning to walk away.

“Why did you help me… again? You hate me.” Buffy called out to him.

Spike stopped not turning around. “I didn’t do it for you; I did it for the sprog.”

“Sprog? Is that what kind of demon that was?” Buffy mumbled.

Spike rolled his eyes turning around. “No you daft cow, the little one,” he pointed towards her.

Buffy furrowed her brow “Ok now you have really lost me. And who the hell are you calling a cow?”

Spike looked at her astonished “You don’t know? Don’t you keep track of your monthlies, ‘cause judging by the weight you’ve packed on I’d say you are about four-five months along.”

Buffy’s eyes widened “What… what weight?” she asked self consciously crossing her arms in front of her.

Suddenly Spike’s words sunk in. “You’re saying you think I’m… pregnant?” Buffy laughed.

“Don’t think, I know. I can hear the little bugger’s heartbeat.” Spike answered matter-of-factly.

“You…” Buffy’s hand immediately went to her stomach. She wanted to deny his words, to laugh in his face, but the truth was it made sense. The dizzy spells, the throwing up, even the timing. It had been almost five months since the fiasco with Parker. She couldn’t deny it… she was pregnant.

“Oh God! No!” Buffy cried and then turned and ran out of the cemetery.


Please Tell Me What You Think
The Offer by Peroxide_dreams
Author's Notes:
I'm writing this story for the Welcome Back to the Hellmouth Kinkathon. For Appomattoxco. Thank you to my beta Ashley . A big thank you for all of the wonderful reviews. Just in case there are any questions...sadly it is Parker's baby.
Buffy ran blindly back towards her dorm. She was so consumed with panic she didn’t notice the man in front of her until she slammed right into him.

“OOF,” Buffy cried out running into the hulking figure.

“Oh, I’m so…Buffy? Uh…hi,” Riley smiled shyly.

“Hi…um…” Buffy recognized the man in front of her, he was her Psychology TA, but she was too distracted by the evening’s events to remember his name.

“Riley. You shouldn’t be out here so late at night. There has been…uh some gang activity.”

Buffy looked up at him skeptically, “gangs, in Sunnydale?” She snorted.

“Well, you never know. Why don’t you let me walk me back to your dorm?” Riley asked nervously.

“Sure,” Buffy sighed not in the mood to argue.

As they walked toward the dorm an awkward silence filled the air. Riley occasionally cleared his throat, trying to gather his courage to speak. When they reached the outside of her dorm, he turned toward her.

“Listen Buffy I know we don’t know each other very well, but I would really like to take you out sometime.”

Buffy chuckled dryly closing her eyes “Riley, you seem like a really nice guy, but things are really… complicated for me right now and…”

“I totally understand, but maybe we could just go out as…friends. We could have a picnic in the park. A nice, friendly picnic… in the park… as friends,” he babbled.

Buffy couldn’t help but giggle, “Sure Riley that sounds nice.”

He immediately flashed a bright smile, “Great I’ll see you tomorrow. Have a good night,” he added hurrying away before she could protest.

What am I getting myself into? Buffy sighed walking into her doom.



*********************





Raising her hand to the door, Buffy hesitated. She had managed to avoid her friends for over a week. She had spent most of her time with Riley. She knew it was unfair to lead him on, but having his undivided attention was a nice temporary escape from reality. But Giles’ phone call had put an end to her self imposed exile from the group. He had insisted they have an emergency Scooby meeting and she knew missing it would cause everyone to freak out.

Plastering on a bright smile, she opened the door and walked inside.

“Hi guys!” she chirped immediately stiffening when she noticed the blond vampire.

“What is he doing here?” Buffy asked Giles indignantly.

“Believe me Slayer this is the last place I want to be.” Spike snorted.

Giles quickly inserted himself between the two blondes.

“Buffy I asked…” Giles began only to be interrupted by Xander.

“Paid,” Xander was quick to point out.

“Yes, well I wanted Spike to help us get to the bottom of just what these commandoes are up to. I have plotted a map of their sightings.” Giles pointed to a map on the table.

“Giles, the commandoes are human and while I’m not exactly thrilled by their presence I hardly think they warrant an emergency Scooby meeting. They seem pretty harmless,” Buffy sighed.

“Yeah, well let them shove something into your bloody brain and tell me how harmless you think they are.” Spike replied getting into Buffy’s face.

Not to be intimidated Buffy took a step even closer “Poor Spikey all neutered and not able to bite. Nope still not seeing the bad. Except maybe for the fact they didn’t dust you.”

“Sure about that slayer? Who would’ve saved your sorry arse if they had? Twice now if I remember correctly…” Spike narrowed his eyes.

“Twice,” the room echoed in confusion.

“Wha’s the matter Slayer… didn’t tell the group about your little…problem.” Spike smirked motioning towards her stomach.

Buffy’s eyes darted to her friends that back at Spike silently pleading for him to stop talking, but it was too late he was pissed off and not about to stop.

“What is he talking about Buffy?” Willow asked knowing her friend had been avoiding her.

“Nothing…just ignore him.” Buffy snapped.

“What’s the matter Slayer? Don’t you want to share the happy news?” Spike chuckled.

Buffy flew at him punching him in the nose, “I said shut up!” She screamed.

“Buffy!” Giles yelled trying to pull her from the vamp.

Spike jumped to his feet, now in full game face. He could see the tears in the girl’s eyes, but his pride refused to let him care.

“Didn’t you know women in ‘the family way’ shouldn’t be fighting,” he sneered.

Giles and Willow immediately gasped while Xander simply looked confused. Anya noticing his confusion rolled her eyes.

“That means she is knocked up.” Anya offered.

“Oh dear lord,” Giles muttered cleaning his glasses.

“Buffy is that true?” Willow asked her friend in disbelief.

Buffy narrowed her eyes at Spike, “I hate you!”

Spike blew a mock kiss to her, “Feelin’s mutual, luv.”



*********************



After the seemingly endless round of questioning from her friends and ‘dear lords’ from Giles, Buffy left her watcher’s house. She decided to spend the night at home. She knew she would need her mother’s help, but was terrified that she may be disappointed in her choices.

Luckily her mother was asleep by the time she arrived. She quietly undressed and climbed into her old bed. Pulling the covers over her head she wished to go back to an easier time. She snorted realizing there had never been an easy time, not since becoming the ‘Chosen One’. What kind of life could she offer this child? What kind of mother could she really be? She could save the whole world, but deep down she knew when it came right down to it, she could barely care for herself.

Sometime during the night she finally fell into a restless sleep. She awoke with the smell of bacon and the powerful need to empty her stomach. After a full twenty minutes in the bathroom she finally made her way downstairs.

Her stomach churned at the smell of breakfast cooking.

“Good morning,” her mother smiled flipping the pancakes onto the plate.

“I saw your bag by the door, so I made you a big breakfast. There are pancakes, sausage, bacon and my famous homemade sweet rolls. Do you want syrup or whipped cream on your pancakes?” Joyce smiled.

“Uh…mom I’m sorry, but I’m not very hungry.” Buffy crossed her arms over her stomach.

Joyce smile faded as she approached her daughter.

“Are you coming down with something?” Joyce asked placing the back of her hand on Buffy’s forehead. “You don’t feel warm, but maybe I should get the thermometer.”

“Mom I’m not sick, not like that.” Buffy sighed. She knew this was it; she had to tell her mother. With Giles and her friends knowing it was only a matter of time before she found out and it would hurt her to know she was the last to know.

“MomIampregnant” Buffy blurted out, squinting her eyes as she waited for her mother’s reaction.

Joyce just stood there mouth agape staring at her daughter. Buffy looked down fidgeting with drawstring of her pajama bottoms. She was scared to look at her mother. She didn’t want to see the hurt and disappointment in her eyes. So, when she felt her mother’s arms wrap around her she sagged into her and broke down crying.

“Oh honey, everything will be okay.” Joyce whispered stroking her daughters back.

Buffy pulled back, “How can you say that? Mom I am pregnant. I had a one night stand with a complete jerk, who won’t even talk to me anymore.”

“Buffy that’s not what matters now. You have a life growing inside of you. I’m not saying this is an ideal situation, or that I am thrill by how this has come about, but we all make mistakes. Believe me when I tell you I certainly have made my share.”

“That’s just it mom, it seems like all I have ever done is screw up and let you down.” Buffy sobbed.

“Buffy you risk your life every night saving the world. How could I be anything but proud?” Joyce smiled.

Buffy hugged her mother tightly, “I’m just so scared right now. I’m not used to being scared.”

“I know baby, I know. We will figure it out.” Joyce held her little girl.


********************


Spike kicked the small TV trying without success to make the picture clearer. Bloody peace of shit he muttered. When he heard the knock at the door he rolled his eyes.

“Sod off,” he yelled.

He knew it was probably Clem coming by to invite him to kitten poker, but he had no money or kittens. Ever since the little blow up at the watcher’s house he had steered clear of the Scoobies, unfortunately that meant no money for blood or smokes.

When he heard the door to his crypt open he jump out of his chair ready for a fight. He stopped stunned to see the watcher and Buffy’s mother standing in the middle his crypt.

“I am sorry to just barge in, but Rupert said you may have been sleeping and not heard the door.” Joyce smiled apologetically.

“Its fine, what brings you by Ms. Summ…”

“Ah…I told you before to just call me Joyce.” the woman smiled.

Giles cleared his throat, “Well, now that all the pleasantries are out of the way, Spike I have a proposition for you.”

Spike rolled his eyes, “Whatever it is I’m not interested.”

“Please Spike at least hear Rupert out.” Joyce pleaded.

Spike looked at the woman and sighed. He knew he was about to get suckered into something but he couldn’t refuse Joyce, she reminded him too much of his own mum.

“Fine Rupert, you have five minutes.” Spike announced.

“Well Spike as you are aware, Buffy is uh…well…”

“Pregnant” Spike raised an eyebrow.

“Yes, and with her slaying duties that puts her at greater risk. I am offering to pay you three hundred dollars a week to patrol with her and once she is no longer able to patrol, I will pay you five hundred dollars a week to take over until the she is able to return.”

Spike snorted, “Gee Rupes if I never knew you had such deep pockets.”

“Well, I have recently purchase the local magic shop and with a little work it should turn quite a profit.” Giles said proudly.

Spike sighed “Even if I agreed to your little offer, and I’m not saying I am, the Slayer will never go for it.”

“You leave Buffy to me.” Joyce spoke up in her stern motherly voice.

Spike chuckled, “Sure why not, I’ll play babysitter to the Slayer.”

“Oh thank you Spike” Joyce smiled embracing the vampire.

When Joyce walked out Giles hesitated at the door before turning to Spike. “It goes without saying that if anything happens to her…be it your fault or not…you are as good as dust. Do we understand each other?”

Spike nodded at the watcher as he slammed the door shut.

Oh bugger… why do I have the feeling I just made a big mistake? Spike thought shaking his head.


Please leave a review and tell me what you think
Confrontation by Peroxide_dreams
Author's Notes:
Sorry it has been so ling since I updated this. I hope you are still reading. I'm already halfway done the next chapter. Thanks to Ashley my beta.
Xander carried the boxes of heavy books and dropped them on the floor.

“Xander! Please do be careful, some of the books in that box are hundreds of years old.” Giles reprimanded.

“I don’t get it G-man, why did you buy this dump,” Xander frowned looking around the small shop.

“Oh Xander, I think it’s exciting! The retail shop is the cornerstone of American capitalism.” Anya beamed.

“Why thank you Anya” Giles smiled.

“Actually I made some charts.” Anya said producing a thick folder.

“Dear lord, what is all this?”

“Well, it’s just an analysis of consumer spending as it pertains to market demand, or retail potential. Did you know that by examining business revenues and area retail sales, you can determine the market’s existing supply? Based on these projections I think the shop will be a great success!”

For a long moment, the two men simple stared at her, then Giles shook his head chuckling, “Anya, would you like a job?”

Anya’s eyes widened, “really…you would let me be a part of this retail establishment?”

“Wow, my girl is going to have a job,” Xander snorted.


********************


Buffy sighed as she opened the door to her mother’s house. She had a feeling there was more to her mothers invitation then just dinner, so when she saw Giles’ car in the driveway, it was really no big surprise.

“Okay so what is this all ab…?” Buffy stopped cold when she noticed Spike sitting in the living room.

“What the hell are you doing here?” Buffy narrowed her eyes at the blond vampire.

“Hey, I’m an invited guest.” Spike smirked.

“Mom, tell him to leave…now!” Buffy spat.

Joyce signed, she knew this was not going to be easy, “Buffy hunny, I invited Spike.”

“Yeah Slayer, I’m a guest.” Spike smirked.

“A g…mom haven’t I talked to you about inviting vampires in the house.” Buffy looked sharply at her mother.

“Buffy, it’s Spike.” Joyce said patting the blond vamp on the back as she walked to join Giles on the sofa. “Now come in, Giles and I have something to talk to you about.”

Buffy crossed her arms defiantly, “Not with him here!”

“Buffy, there really isn’t time for this.” Giles commented cleaning his glasses. “Spike is here at your mother’s and my request.”

“Why?” Buffy sneered at the smiling vampire.

“Well Buffy, now that you’re pregnant, I think it’s time you thought about cutting back on your slaying.” Joyce started.

“Cut back? Mom this isn’t some job that I can ask for some time off. Tell her Giles.” Buffy snorted.

“I think what your mother is trying to say is…maybe you could use some help.” Giles added hesitantly.

“Help? What…” Suddenly Buffy’s eyes widened in understanding. “Oh no! You can’t be talking about Bleach Boy here!”

“Buffy, sweetie, you really should try to be nicer to Spike.” Joyce chided her.

Buffy fumed as Spike just sat there in the chair sipping his hot chocolate with a snide smile on his face. “Giles you can’t think this is a good idea!” Buffy looked at her watcher with pleading eyes.”

“Actually Buffy, I don’t see any other alternative, Spike may not be the ideal choice, but he is the only one capable of helping.” Giles said with an apologetic tone.

“Why would he help? He is my mortal enemy!” Buffy argued.

“Come on Buffy, you know as well as I do that Spike can’t hurt you. He is harmless.” Joyce said, casting the vampire an apologetic look when he growled in response.

Spike jumped up, “Hey, I seem to remember saving your sorry arse more than once as of late. Besides, Giles is paying me.” Spike shrugged.

“Paying you?” Buffy yelled. “Giles you can’t be serious! No way! I won’t do it.” Buffy pouted.

“Buffy Ann Summers! I have had enough of this, stop being stubborn. You have a baby to think about now. You may not be thrilled by this arrangement, but both Giles and I feel it’s the only choice. You can either willingly do this, or I’ll have to go out there with you myself! I will not have you putting yourself and my grandchild at risk…” Joyce was stopped when Buffy put her hands up in defeat.

“Fine, mom I’ll do it, but I don’t like it!” Buffy sighed.

Buffy stared at the floor as her mother, Giles, and Spike chatted about the specifics of their new arrangement. She couldn’t bring herself to listen. It was bad enough she had to deal with being the only pregnant slayer in history, now she had to have a soulless vampire as her bodyguard. How had her life spiraled so far out of control?

“You ready?” Spike asked her.

“Ready for what?” she asked still lost in her thoughts.

“Patrol? I certainly wasn’t inviting you to dinner and a movie.” Spike rolled his eyes.

“Shut up Spike. I may have to deal with you tagging along, but I don’t have to deal with your annoying comments.” Buffy spat walking towards the back door.

“You think they’ll be okay?” Joyce looked hesitantly toward Giles.

Giles chuckled, “Well they will either work it out or kill each other.”

Spike followed the irate slayer out the door. He almost slammed into her when she abruptly stopped and whirled around.

“Now look, I may have agreed to this, but there are going to be some rules. The first one being that you follow me. The last think I need is you slowing me down.” Buffy informed him.

“Damn slayer, I hope your belly doesn’t get as big as your swollen head, or you won’t be able to fit through the bloody doorway.” Spike smirked.

Before he knew what was happening Buffy punched him right in the nose, sending him sprawling back onto the grass.

“Oi, what the hell was that for?” Spike snarled grasping his broken nose.

“Enough with the fat jokes Spike!” Buffy sneered.

Spike bound to his feet stalking up to stand only inches from her face. “Oh yeah well I have a little rule of my own. I’m not your fucking punching bag. Don’t do it again.”

“Oooh, I’m so scared Spike, what are you going to do about it? Annoy me to death? Lock me in a room and force me to watch Passions?” Buffy taunted.

Spike narrowed his eyes “Joyce…can you come out here for a minute.” he yelled.

“I don’t think your mum would take to kindly to you playin’ kick the Spike, Slayer.”

Buffy’s eyes widened as her mom appeared at the back door. “You wouldn’t,” she whispered to the vamp.

“What is it Spike, is something wrong?”

Spike cocked an eyebrow. “Do we have a deal?” he whispered back.

Buffy nodded in defeat.

“Just wanted to thank you again for the hot chocolate, Joyce, no one makes it like you do.” Spike smiled.

Joyce blushed at his compliment, “Thank you, Spike, come by anytime for some. I keep extra marshmallows just for you.”

When Joyce walked back in Buffy narrowed her eyes at him, “Kiss-up.”

“Bitch,” he replied.

“Freak.”

“Daft cow”

Buffy glared at the blond vampire, “I hate you.” she said walking off into the night.

“So you keep telling me,” Spike sighed following the angry blond.
Chapter 4/5 by Peroxide_dreams
Author's Notes:
Chapter 4 was too short to post, so i have combines 4 and 5. Im sorry updates have been slow on this story my muse hasnt been cooperating on this one. Thank you to my beta Ashley,
Buffy staked the vamp, her chest heaving as she attempted to catch her breath. She turned and saw Spike picking at his chipped, black fingernail polish looking bored. “What the hell are you doing?” she panted.

Spike looked up innocently, “Nothin’, why?”

“That’s exactly what I mean! I have fought and dusted every vamp, while you sit there giving yourself a manicure!”

“Well, I’m not allowed to smoke I gotta keep busy somehow,” Spike shrugged.

Buffy grunted loudly in frustration throwing her arms up in the air, before turning and walking away.

Spike ran to catch up to her, “So are we done?”

“Wha…” Buffy stopped herself clenching her fists, itching to punch to blond vampire in the nose, “Yes, Spike we are done!”

“Wha’s your problem?” Spike smirked.

Buffy glared at him, “Why are you even here? You’re a waste of space. I mean you’re no use…”

“Uh…Slayer…” Spike tried to interrupt.

“No, don’t Slayer me! I’m going to talk and you are going to shut your big, fat mouth and listen…”

“Uh, you might want to rethink that, pet” Spike motioned his head at something behind her.

“No, the vamp can wait, Spike. I…”

“Buffy! Shut up and turn around!” Spike yelled.

Buffy turned to see seven vampires beginning to circle around them. She widened her eyes, mentally cursing Spike for distracting her. The vampires formed a circle around the blonds. She felt Spike’s back against hers and took a glance over her shoulder.

“Ready for some fun slayer?” Spike smirked.

Buffy felt her body relax as she turned toward the approaching vamps and smiled, “Let’s do this.”

The next few moments were a blur of punches and kicks. Occasionally Buffy would glance towards Spike marveling in his strength and speed. The smirk never left his face as he easily overpowered the vamps. Spike also had watched Buffy; even he had to admit she was glorious when she fought. Her grace and power left every move looking as if it were a choreographed dance. He felt his pants tighten as a painful erection strained his zipper. He quickly dismissed it however as a product of the fight.


When the last vamp was staked, Buffy turned towards Spike noticing he was still bouncing on the balls of his feet. She suppressed the smile threatening to form on her lips and placed her hands on her hips. “It was about time you did something.”

Spike stopped staring at her a moment before cocking his head to the side, “You didn’t need my help. Hell, you probably could’ve taken all seven of those vamps, but I was itchin’ for my spot of violence.”

Buffy frowned, “Was that supposed some kind of lame attempt at a compliment?”

Spike rolled his eyes, “You know what… just forget it. If you could stop being a bloody bitch for one second…you know what never mind. Let’s go.” He said grabbing her arm.

Buffy yanked her arm away forcefully, “I’m not going anywhere with you.”

“I was just walking you back to your dorm.” Spike growled.

“Oh…well I don’t need you to walk me anywhere. I’m the slayer remember.” Buffy reminded him, still being slightly confused by his offer.

“It’s my job to see you home safe.”

Buffy sighed, “Fine, let’s go.”

********************



Buffy stood in front of the mirror carefully applying her make up. While patrolling with Spike had started out rough, they had now fallen into a steady routine. Sure there were still the little snide remarks here and there, and although she would never admit it, it was kind of nice to have the company.

“Are y-you going out on a date?” Tara smiled watching Buffy primp.

“What no! Why?” Buffy responded suddenly defensive.

“Well, it’s just you are putting on make up and…is that a new shirt?” Willow smiled inspecting her friend.

“Well, if you must know, yes it is new, but I have gained some weight…so I needed some new clothes. I’m just going on patrol. Definitely not a date.” Buffy answered defiantly.

“S-so Willow said you and Spike have been getting along.” Tara smiled.

Buffy narrowed her eyes at the red head, “I will never get along with that blond menace.”

“I mean get along as in not killing each other, not as in you know… getting along…” Willow flashed an apologetic smile.


********************



Buffy muttered angrily to herself as she walked through the darkened cemetery. She couldn’t believe the way Willow and Tara were acting. Like I really want to spend time with that…damn vampire. She was so preoccupied she didn’t notice the figure in front of her until she smack into him.

“Buffy?”

Buffy’s eyes widened, “Oh Riley, I didn’t even see you there…wait what are you doing here?”

“Buffy I have been trying to get in touch with you. Haven’t you gotten any of my messages?”

Buffy looked down at her feet, unable to meet his eyes, she knew she should have called Riley back. She had to tell him about the baby. He seemed like a really great guy and the truth was she really liked him. “Riley, look things have been really…crazy for me right now.”

“I understand” Riley smiled.

“No, I don’t think you do Riley. There is something I have to tell you.”

“I know Buffy.”

“Wait…what do you know?”

Riley put his hands on Buffy’s shoulders. “I know the secret you have been keeping. I think you may need some help and I think I’m just the man for the job.”

Buffy blinked looking up at Riley. How could he know I’m pregnant? Her mind reeled trying to find an explanation. She doubted her friends would have told him. She put a self conscious arm over her stomach wondering if she had gotten as big as Spike had claimed. The truth was it didn’t matter how he knew, he wanted to be there for her. Looking at him with awe she smiled. This man who hardly knew her was offering to be there for her through her pregnancy. She blushed smiling, “Riley…I don’t know what to say. It’s such a huge responsibility.”

“I know but it was what I was born to do.” Riley beamed.

Buffy was still in shock. “God I feel so bad for avoiding you, it’s just… I didn’t know how to tell you. We were getting along so well and I thought you would hate me when you found out the truth.”

“Hate you? Geez Buffy I have nothing but respect for you, doing this all alone.”

Buffy blushed prettily, “I didn’t believe there were guys like you still around Riley. I mean if you tell most men you’re pregnant they’ll just run the other way, but not you.”

Riley face turned instantly white, “Pregnant? You’re pregnant?”

Buffy looked at him confused, “You said you knew my secret.”

“I meant I knew that you were the slayer…”


Buffy stood dumbstruck as her mind reeled. How did Riley know she was the slayer? Her face flamed in embarrassment when she realized his offer had not been about the baby, he hadn’t even been aware of her pregnancy.

“Buffy?” His voice broke her out of her daze.

“How? I mean…” Buffy looked up at him suddenly aware of there surroundings. She had been so flustered running into him, then so stunned by his declaration she hadn’t thought to wonder why he was in the cemetery in the middle of the night. She noticed his attire was all black and on his belt was what appeared to be a weapon. She took a cautious step back.

“You…you’re one of those…commando guys,” her eyes widened.

Riley chuckled, “I work for the US army.”

Buffy rolled her eyes, “great.”

“Buffy, we are on your side. We have the same mission. I would love to work with you.”

Buffy turned to walk away but Riley caught up falling into step with her quick departure. “So that is what this was all about?” She asked, trying not to let her hurt tone come through, “Why did you want to date me? To study me?”

Riley grabbed her arm, “No! I didn’t find out about you being the slayer until just recently.” Buffy looked up at him skeptically. “Listen, I know we have a lot to talk about. I’m on a mission right now. One of our hostiles escaped and I think we have finally tracked him down, but after…”

Buffy’s eyes widened in realization. “What are you going to do to him…um the hostile I mean?”

“Usually we just capture them, but this is a search and destroy mission.” Riley said not able to stop the smug grin that pulled at his lips.

“I…I have to go,” Buffy called over her shoulder as she turned and raced towards Spike crypt. She didn’t stop to think of why she felt this desperate need to warn him. If she had, she may have questioned why the thought of the blond vampire’s dusting made her stomach turn. She could argue it was because he was now rendered harmless due to the chip or that the thought of some government agency messing in her territory made her blood boil, but now was not the time for those questions.

Bursting though the crypt door she immediately began to call out his name. After searching the top level she jumped down to the lower, taken back at what she found. Spike was shirtless scrambling to fasten his belt with a strange look of panic in his eyes. Buffy froze her eyes traveling down the hard lines of his stomach. She blushed quickly turning her head.

“Slayer,” she heard a voice behind her hiss. However, before she could turn around she was tackled face first onto the ground..

“Oh bugger,” Spike cursed as he watched Harmony tackle Buffy. In a flash he was there pulling the blond vampire off of the slayer by her hair.

“Owww. What are you doing Blondie Bear, I had her.” Harmony whined.

“No Harm, what you have is a bloody death wish.”

Buffy jumped up pulling her stake out, “You son of a bitch, I came here to warn you and you sic your ho-bag of a girlfriend on me!”

“Just hold on a minute.” Spike said stepping between the two blonds.

“Get the hell out of my way Spike or you’re dust too.” Buffy panted.

Spike moved closer putting his hands on her arms as her raised stake pressed against his chest. “Are you ok? I mean the babe, is everything ok?”

Buffy looked up stunned to see the concern in his eyes. Tears burned her eyes as she lowered her stake. She felt out of control like a whirlwind of emotions twisted through her. “I’m fine, we’re fine.” Buffy said taking a deep breath before continuing. “The commandoes…they’re coming. They know where you are.”

Spike’s eyes widened with alarm. He nodded his head and turned toward Harmony, “In the tunnels, now!”

“But Spiiikkke…”

“Now you daft cow,” Spike barked.

“Oh no, she doesn’t get to live,” Buffy narrowed her eyes.

“Slayer, there isn’t time for that now.” Spike said shoving Harmony down into the tunnel.

“Spike,” Buffy warned.

“I’ll meet you at your mum’s… and Buffy… thanks” Spike smirked before disappearing down into the tunnels.

Buffy looked up stunned at the sound of him using her name. She watched the lip close, wondering what had just happened however was brought out of her thoughts when the sound of a loud crash from above made her jump. Taking a deep breath she sighed and headed up the ladder.


********************



Buffy walked down Rivello drive still thinking of the events of the evening. Though Riley had readily believed her excuse about just missing ‘the hostile’, some of his fellow soldiers hadn’t seemed so convinced. The commandoes had thoroughly trashed Spike’s crypt leaving Buffy feeling helpless as she could only stand there and watch. Why should it even matter? She asked herself. It’s not like they we’re friends, he was the undead, a soulless killer only helping her to earn a quick buck.

Buffy now chided herself for believing in his concerned for her well being. Of course he was concerned, she reminded herself; I had a stake to his chest. She cringed realizing his only priority was for him and his vamp ho’s to get out safely. She had worked herself into such a frenzy by the time she arrived at her mother’s house, she had decided enough was enough, no more feeling sorry for her blond vampire babysitter. Spike was not to be trusted.

When she opened the door she heard soft laughter coming from the kitchen. Buffy smiled to herself thinking her she had walked in on her mother with a date. When she rounded the corner she was shocked to find Spike sitting at the kitchen counter, looking relaxed with a steaming cup of cocoa in his hands.

“Oh Buffy dear you’re here.” Joyce smiled.

“Slayer,” Spike nodded.

“Don’t, Slayer me. I just spent the past hour having to lie to Riley just to save your sorry butt.” Buffy put her hands on her hips.

“Riley? Isn’t he the boy you have been seeing? What does he have to do with the commandoes?” Joyce asked.

Buffy glared towards Spike. “Whot?” He shrugged, “I just told her why I was meeting you here,”

“Riley is one of the commandoes.” Buffy sighed.

“What?” Spike jumped out of his chair, “you mean all along you have been snogging one of them and didn’t even tell me?”

“Not that it is any of your business, but I didn’t know until tonight.” Buffy placed her hands on her hips.

“And what do you think ‘ole Captain Cardboard will say when he finds out?” Spike raised an eyebrow.

“What? He…won’t. I mean the semester is almost over so I will be moving back home and then we can just meet here to patrol.”

“Well honey, you may be right, but I don’t think Spike will be safe any longer in his crypt.” Joyce interjected.

“Well then he will just have to find somewhere else to go. Either way that’s really not my problem.” Buffy scowled at the blond vamp.

“Already found somewhere,” Spike smirked.

“Honey, I invited Spike in stay here, in the basement.” Joyce told her daughter.

“What? No, no way is he staying here,” Buffy argued.

“Buffy this is my home, and I say he is welcomed here. He can’t protect you and the baby if he has to worry about his own safety.”

“Mom, they are the good guys and Spike is…is a soulless vampire. That doesn’t seem the least bit wrong to you?” Buffy threw her hands up in the air in exasperation.

“Buffy, Spike can’t defend himself against them. He is staying here and that is final! Now, I’m going to get some sheets and blankets for the air mattress.” Joyce announced turning to leave the room.

“Why bother, why not just give him my room,” Buffy called sarcastically after her mother.

“If you’re offering, can’t say I’d turn it down.” Spike smirked tucking his tongue behind his teeth.

“You’re a pig.” Buffy snapped blushing at his innuendo.

“Maybe so Slayer, but it looks like you better get used to having me around.” Spike chuckled.
Chapter 5 by Peroxide_dreams
Author's Notes:
sorry it has been so long between updates, hopefully i am back on track now. Thanks to drkdevin for betaing ;)
"Are you sure you don’t want to come to the party with me and Xan?" The red head sighed, looking at her friend

Buffy smiled, “I’m sure Will, I’m just going to take a quick patrol around the campus grounds and call it a night.”

“Are you sure you should patrol…without Spike?” Willow asked concerned.

“Willow, I’m still the Slayer. I don’t need Spike holding my hand every time I patrol.” Buffy’s eyes widened “not that there is any…hand holding…because…ew. I wouldn’t want to…ever.”

Willow suppressed a giggle, “right, no Spike hand holding. Gotcha.”

Buffy watched her friends walking away silently chiding herself for babbling over something so ridiculous. Holding Spike’s hand, she huffed, bet they are all cold and rough…strong and…what am I saying?

She was so preoccupied she didn’t notice the figure in front of her until she ran right into him. She looked up and gasped “Parker! I have been trying to get in touch with you for weeks!”

Parker inwardly groaned, “Buffy…it’s…a…nice to see you. I’ve been really busy.”

“Well, we really need to talk,” Buffy rolled her eyes, not sure who she was more annoyed with, Parker or herself..

“Look, Buffy, I really don’t see what there is to talk about. We had a great time, but we‘ve been over this.”

“Parker, there is something I need to tell you” Buffy took another deep breath. “I’m pregnant”

Parkers turned white, his eyes widening in realization. “Y-you’re what?”

“I’m pregnant and it’s yours,” Buffy answered quietly.

“W-well, how you do you know it’s mine? I mean it was just one time…” he spat defensively.

“How can you ask that? I haven’t been with anyone else.” Buffy narrowed her eyes.

“Well…you certainly weren’t a virgin when we were together. Look, Buffy, if you think this is going to somehow make me want to date you…”

Buffy snapped, grabbing Parker by the collar, lifting him off of the ground. She quickly dropped him when she heard the gasps behind her.

Parker’s eyes widened, his mouth opened and closed for a long moment unable to form words. He put his hands up almost tripping as he quickly backed away “I…I can’t deal with this right now.”

Buffy sighed in defeat as she watched him disappear down the path that lead towards the school. Tears of anger and frustration rolled down her cheeks, she’d never felt so alone.. In her despair and Parker’s haste to get away, neither of them noticed the shadowy figures following him into the woods.


*********************



Buffy lay on the bed ignoring the knocking on the door. When it appeared they were not going to give up, she sighed, slowly climbing off of the bed, straightening her hair as she opened the door.

“Riley, listen, this isn’t a good time,” she mumbled as she started to close the door.

Riley stopped the door with his hand “Buffy, please just hear me out.”

She shrugged moving back to allow him entrance to her room. “Riley, I’m really…”

Riley took Buffy by the shoulders, “I handled things badly the other night. I was so caught up in the finding out you were the slayer that when you told me you were pregnant I just…”

“Riley, it’s fine. I don’t expect anything from you. This isn’t your responsibility.” Buffy said softly looking down at the ground.

“Buffy, I know we haven’t known each other long, but I do care about you. I want to be there, to take care of you….and the baby.”

Closing her eyes Buffy knew that accepting his offer would be wrong, but she didn’t want to be alone.

“Riley, this isn’t your responsibility,” she said once again, in a small voice.

“Let me be here for you, Buffy.”

After a long pause, she nodded, not able to meet his eyes. She knew she was being weak, but couldn’t bring herself to care. Riley breathed out a sigh of relief wrapping his arms around her, both surprised as well as apprehensive that she had so readily accepted his offer.


*********************



The rest of the semester went by quickly. Buffy settled into a routine. During the day, she divided her time between classes and picnics in the park with Riley. At sunset, she would make her way to her mother’s where she would usually find Spike and her mother talking in the kitchen over tea or hot chocolate. She couldn’t help but feel a stab of jealousy at the closeness they seemed to share.

Even though they still constantly seemed to butt heads, she’d adjusted to patrolling with Spike. She couldn’t help but be silently impressed by his grace and speed. Fighting side by side, they learned each other’s every move and became an unstoppable team.

Dusting the last fledgling, Spike turned toward the out of breath slayer. “Getting a little slow there. Goldilocks,” he smirked.

Buffy snorted, returning his smile, “slow? I dusted three before you even got to the first one.”

“What can I say, I like to play with them a bit first,” Spike shrugged with a boyish smile.

Buffy couldn’t help but chuckle, “yeah well next time a little less play and a little more action.”

Spike tucked his tongue behind taking a step towards her. “What’s the matter love, soldier boy can’t keep up?”

Buffy furrowed her brow before realizing the innuendo; she blushed and turned quickly away. “No. I mean yes. I mean…just stop being a pig, Spike.”

Spike moved again in front of her, running bringing his hand up, running a single finger down her bare arm “Come on pet, you can’t tell me ole white bread could satisfy a girl like you.”

Buffy narrowed her eyes pulling away, “a girl like me? You don’t even know me Spike. You never will.”

Spike watched as she walked out of the cemetery. He kicked a nearby headstone watching it tumble to the ground. He wasn’t sure which he was more pissed off about. The fact that his big mouth had angered Buffy or that it even mattered to him that he did.


*********************



When the semester finally ended, Buffy moved home, as she had promised her mother. She had been dreading the move, mostly because, until now, she’d been able to keep her arrangement with Spike a secret from Riley. She knew she had to tell him before he found out on his own. It was a conversation she wasn’t looking forward to.

Buffy was nervous and distracted during patrol, she was supposed to meet Riley at the Bronze tonight. She was planning to tell him about her arrangement with Spike.

They came upon a group of fledglings and quickly fell into their usual routine. Buffy was just staking the last vamp when she heard Spike scream her name; she turned just in time to see a large horned demon barreling towards her. She froze. At the last moment before the demon impaled her, she was roughly shoved to the ground. She watched in horror as the demon’s large horn tore into Spike’s shoulder. Jumping to her feet, she grabbed her dagger from her boot and began to furiously stab at the fleshy back of the beast.

Finally, the demon fell to the ground, dragging Spike down with him. Buffy moved towards him grasping the horn and carefully removing it from the vampires shoulder.

Spike winced as the slayer attempted to pull him to his feet. “Give us a minute, love” he forced a smile.

Buffy chewed on her lip “Spike, I need to get you out of here. You’re losing too much blood.’

Spike chuckled, “wasn’t mine anyway.”

“Stop doing that! You’re hurt!”

He looked up touched at the genuine concern in her eyes. He nodded allowing her to help him to his feet and towards Revello drive.


When they arrived back at her house, she quickly took him to the kitchen and went to work attending to his wounds. She instructed her frantic mother to heat up some pig’s blood as she cleaned and bandaged his mangled shoulder. The women were so busy they didn’t hear the knock at the back door.

“What’s going on here?”
End Notes:
I hope someone is still reading this, i know it's been a while since i updated
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=26196